Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Miraculous fics for ❤️ | all moods
Stats:
Published:
2020-08-15
Updated:
2022-04-11
Words:
10,970
Chapters:
11/?
Comments:
48
Kudos:
680
Bookmarks:
220
Hits:
11,426

Kuro Koshka

Summary:

Plagg is done. He had been patient with Adrien, even if he is not his true chosen. He had been patient with his mistakes and his naivety, but he cannot do this anymore. Adrien's actions became worse and worse. Making sugarcube's chosen cry is the last straw. Looks like it's time for a change, starting with his chosen.

Nekozawa Umehito has no clue why he agreed to go to Paris, of all places. The idea of becoming a superhero is not the reason, no, he is more interested on the idea of using a more powerful magic. And maybe that strangely cute girl helps a little.

Notes:

The ML characters are older in this. As in around 16 to 17 in this. This means Marinette gained the Miraculous when she is 16.

Italics are in a different language.

Chapter Text

How dare he? How dare that ignorant, naive, spoiled boy do that? How stupid can he be?

Plagg is done.

He is so done with his chosen. Adrien did not change his attitude at all, not for the lack of trying either. 

Plagg had called him out on goofing around during an akuma. He had called him out for not helping Ladybug when Paris was flooded. He had called him out when he whined about Ladybug not agreeing to dating him.

That is only his hero identity.

His civilian self had also been called out. Plagg called him out when he keeps enabling his 'childhood friend', granted she is better now. He had called him out for letting that sausage haired girl lie to his classmates. He had called him out for not helping pigtails and letting her be isolated.

Now Adrien mess up big time. He had made sugarcube's chosen cry, in both identites at the same day.

Plagg is done.

If Adrien won't changed, then he will no longer put up with him. Plagg had given the model plenty of chances, today's actions are the final straw.

Unlike other kwamis, Plagg can leave anytime he wishes. The reason is simple. For centuries the Black Cat miraculous had been used by a bloodline, until something happened. The guardians refused to give him back to said family. The guardian, to commiserate, decided to give Plagg leniency to the whole holder thing.

If Plagg deems his holder as someone no longer worthy, then he may leave and choose his new holder. Not even the guardian can change his decision.

Plagg knew he cannot leave yet. He needs to plan. Despite appearing lazy, Plagg is powerful. With a bit of magic, careful not to let Adrien notice, he spread his sense througout Paris. This ability allows him to find someone that would be compatible with him.

It took Plagg a week to finally find someone. On the dead of the night, while Adrien is asleep, he took the ring and left.

 


 

Nekozawa Umehito has no clue why he agreed to go to Paris, of all places. Right, he remembers now. He had came here to learn more about the magic in the city.

Miraculous, items that hold deities with incredible power. They can grant their holders powers of different kinds. Umehito's personal favorite is the Black Cat.

It was easy enough to gain information about the Miraculous. His family, the Nekozawa line, used to have the Black Cat ring as a family heirloom. They were blessed to have more access towards magic. In other words, an easier time to use magic especially the Dark Arts.

Of course with a blessing comes a curse. Whoever in the Nekozawa line with more potent magic, had a difficulty with light. Umehito has the strongest magical ability in his clan for the last century and a half.

It would not be too bad, if his family still has the miraculous. The ring is always given to the strongest magic user, it helps lift their curse a bit. The longer they have the ring, the more resistant they are to sunlight.

But they lost it.

Lost is a strong word, the ring was in fact stolen. The holder was a corrupted man, his family would rather not speak on how he gained the ring. After that, it went back to the guardians. The guardians did not give it back to his family, despite them technically owning it.

Actually, the reason of learning magic was what he had given the school. Ouran is more than happy to let him go, mostly since he had terrified most of the High school student body on his last stunt.

The real reason is so he can be around the Ladybug miraculous' magic. If he stays long enough, he can get his photophobia to lessen. That and he might be able to steal the ring if he has the time. It's not stealing if you are taking back what is yours.

Now here he is, at midnight, outside his balcony. Being unable to go out at daytime made him nocturnal, a problem when he has school. 

Eh, old habits die hard.

"It sure is a nice night, ne (right) Beelzenef?" Umehito asked, making his hand move to make it appear as if the puppet was nodding.

"You sure are right kid!"

Umehito froze and turn around, looking wildly for the source of the voice. He knew for certain he is the only one in his room, the night staff are most likely downstairs. Not only that, but bodyguards are positioned outside his bedroom.

"Who's there?" Umehito said, his voice hoarse and low. Most people tend to avoid him, making it difficult for him to socialize in person.

"Over here!"

Umehito walk slowly towards the source. The source being on the stand next to his bed. He made sure to prepare a spell and alert the guards if the worse comes.

There on the stand is a...cat? It looks like a cat, but it was tiny. And the head is large. And it, he, whatever was staring at him.

"Hey kid, got any cheese?"

And Umehito passed out.

 


 

Plagg  is a bit annoyed that his new holder, he'll make him agree, had passed out the moment he spoke. Then again, a speaking cat-like thing that somehow entered what appears to be a mansion which is way bigger than the Agrestes and avoid the armed guards asking for cheese is sure to get a reaction.

The moment his new chosen woke up, he look at Plagg in shock. Plagg gave him a friendly grin. Atleast he hope it was friendly. The kid feels of Dark magic, he is most likely wary towards magical artifacts and him.

"The name's Plagg, and I am the-"

"Kwami of destruction and the Kwami of the Black Cat miraculous." The kid cut him off, still giving him a look of awe. Atleast Plagg knows he knows about the miraculous. Then again, the feel of magic should have been a clue enough.

"Yes, and you are my new chosen!"

"Nani (What)? What happened to Chat Noir?" Japanese then, this might be a problem. If the kid is a foreigner, he has to get him to stay at Paris. But if the mansion is anything to go by, Plagg doubts it would be that much of a problem.

"Didn't work. Look kid, out of everyone in Paris, you have the most compability with me. That is why I chose you." Plagg said, deciding not to give the details. He'll give more, but not now. "So do you accept?"

"It would be foolish not to."

Plagg grinned, maybe this one has common sense. "You didn't give me your name by the way."

"Nekozawa Umehito, heir to the Nekozawa clan. To be honest, I was planning on a way to steal you."

A Nekozawa, what luck. He had missed the family, they were the only ones to truly used the miraculous to its fullest. That would also explain why he knows about him and reeks of magic. And his new holder happens to be the heir. 

Plagg ignores the fact that he admitted to be planning to steal him. He does, after all, belongs to the Nekozawa clan.

Plagg suddenly remembers an important detail.

"You won't happen to have the curse, do you?"

"I have the strongest magical ability in the family. I can barely stay with the lights not dimmed, much less go out at daytime."

"Ah, camembert."

Chapter 2

Summary:

Plagg has a problem. A huge problem, one that he needs to fix as soon as possible. He hopes Tikki's luck rubs off on him or else Paris is doomed.

Notes:

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. School took up my time. I'll try to get the next update out as soon as possible.

Credits to EvilHeroDarkGaia for giving me the idea with the blindfold.

Chapter Text

Plagg has a problem.

Plagg has a huge problem.

Correction, Paris has a huge problem.

It is common knowledge that the Cat and Ladybug miraculous' must be activated together to mantain balance. It would be disastrous if not followed, making the situation even worse. 

His miraculous can only stay out of commission for so long before disbalance starts. He has a week at most, but with Hawk Moth he might not even have that much.

Why in his name did he thought it was a good idea to give the Nekozawas the blessing that doubles as a curse? 

How was his new chosen going to fight akumas when he can barely go outside? It's not like Plagg can just stop his photophobia from happening.

Wait!

"I got it!"

"Got what?" Umehito said, putting down his tablet. He eyes the Kwami warily, as if he was about to suggest something stupid.

Which, rude! But also Plagg can somewhat understand. He was not even sure if his idea would work.

"The solution to our little problem!"

 


 

Li(e)la Rossi Sucks

A(ce)lix: i cant believ dey believ dat!!!

Tomato: pfftt,,,can relate

Rainbow: wut is it dis time??

QueenBeetch: its ridiculous,,,,utterly ridiculous

EverydayMariBug: lila said she knows Reynard Houshakuji n dat she actually spend her weekend w Renge Houshakuji

JapaneseMulan: She does realise that Renge Houshakuji is currently attending school in Japan, right?

GuitarHero: please tell me my sis dont believ dis

A(ce)lix: u know Juleka n Rose r neutral

GuitarHero: thank Ladybug

 


 

If this does not work, he will have to resort to drastic methods. Curses in one's bloodline is not so simple to stop especially one as powerful as his. Most ways to lessen such curses involve a sacrifice, none of those stupid true love's crap.

Plagg said that he figured a loophole of sorts, a way for Umehito to not worry about his curse. At least while he stops akumas.

"Don't worry, I'm sure this will work. Although it's safer to hope Sugarcube's luck rub off on me, just in case."

If Plagg's idea fail, Umehito will have to go through a ritual. He'll have to find one with less blood, or atleast doesn't involve his blood. Finding a sacrificial lamb won't be too hard, he'll just have to worry about the guilt at knowingly taking a life.

Does it count as murder if you only order for their death and that you weren't the one to actually kill them?

Taking a deep breath, Umehito stares at the ring on his finger. He desperately hope Plagg is right, just because he likes scaring people doesn't mean he wants to kill someone.

"Plagg, claws out!"

The sensation of Plagg's magic entering him is odd and strangely energizing. Plagg's magic feels dark, like shadows wrapping around him. 

The feeling disappeared and Umehito quickly inspected his new outfit. The difference between his outfit and Chat Noir is glaring.

A long, black coat covers most of his body, reminiscent of his usual cloak except it is made of actual fur.

Underneath the cloak is a black waistcoat and pants with a leather belt around his waist. A spellbook with a cat's paw on the front cover is attached to the belt, along with the silver baton. Just like Chat Noir, his belt also seems to double as a cat tail.

Both of his hands have black leather gloves on it. A quick flick of his hand, and claws came out. It turns out the gloves comes with retractable claws. Another similarity with Chat Noir.

He's pretty sure Plagg has a thing for cat bells. Why else would he also be wearing a collar with a gold cat bell on his neck?

His shoes had been replaced with black combat boots that are, surprisingly, not as heavy as they should be without magic.

He doesn't have the leather ears, instead his ears have a pair of headphones on, with the ear cups designed like flat cat ears. They even twitch like actual cat ears.

The part that surprised Umehito the most is the blindfold. The white piece of cloth covers his eyes, yet he can still see perfectly. Some of his hair, his real blond ones, got in the way. It feels strange seeing yellow strands instead of the dark wig he had grown accustomed to.

He sighed before going towards his blacony. He is glad that he has an entire wing to himself, allowing him to be able to use the balcony that doesn't face the city. 

The moment he opened the door, sunlight spilled through the room. Normally at this moment, Umehito would recoil and even pass out. 

He didn't.

Chapter 3

Summary:

Something is off.

The whole week has been off

***

It was strange, at least for him. He does not understand why exactly Plagg wants him to do this but he sees no reason to refuse the Kwami.

Notes:

Been gone for a while, lots of things has happened. So my sis passed away last year, then the fact I had school.....yeah.

Anyway, I'm going to try to update frequently again. Especially since I had inspiration with this one, as for my other works....

I guess you can say this work is my birthday treat for myself. Anyway, Happy Birthday to me.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Words have power.

Incantations, spells, chants, curses, all of them are usually invoked by words. Words have power.

" O, the dark one

Bringing plagues

Push through one's fate "

Or at least it roughly says that. The translation to the spell is wonky at the least, outright wrong at the most.

"That's not even a real spell." Umehito is inclined to agree with such a statement. If a god says so, then what he is reading is truly not a spell.

"That's the problem with old books, especially those back in the Witch trials." Umehito murmured, his hand turning another page. "Hard to tell which one of the notes is the real deal, and which ones were made up."

"Don't get why you read them. Don't the Nekozawa have a library or something?"

"They do but," Umehito paused on a certain page. It was one about a blessing, if he reads it right. Interesting. "The clan believes that learning other forms of arcane, not just our own, is important. Something about keeping the Arts from disappearing."

"Right, when you're done you should start planning on what I told you."

It was strange, at least for him. He does not understand why exactly Plagg wants him to do this but he sees no reason to refuse the Kwami. Besides, such a request can be easily fulfilled albeit he would have to go through proper procedures, but it was not something he would find too troublesome.

"I already have my people do it. It shall all be done by two days at the latest."

 


 

Something is off.

The whole week has been off.

First, Hawk Moth has not sent an akuma in almost a week. It was a new record, and hopefully would go on longer even if it sets everyone on edge. Kwami knows that Hawk Moth is most likely planning something big.

Second, Chat Noir has not been heard from since five days ago. This is unsettling, and the only thing keeping her from thinking the worst was a message from Plagg on her communicator saying that the Black Cat would be unavailable for a few days.

Lastly, there is a subtle feeling that something big is about to happen. She is not sure what it is, but it could not be anything good.

All these cause Marinette to show up late in class, having been unable to sleep until around one in the morning. Of course most would not think that Marinette is restless, not with the fact that she is rather well known for her tardiness.

Marinette stuttered out apologies, attempting to catch her breath in between. She finds it odd Miss Bustier has yet to tell her to go to her seat.

"You're fine, girl. Miss Bustier went out." The words came from Alya. "Better head to your seat before she comes back though."

With those words Marinette heads to her seat, the one at the very back. She made sure not to make eye contact with Lila who sits next to Alya.

At first Marinette was upset with the fact that Lila lied about some disease so she was forced to switch seats with the Italian, but she learned better to call out the girl's lies. This would either result in an akumatized Lila, accusing looks from her classmates, a disappointed lecture from one Adrien Agreste, or all three.

"Why do you think Miss Bustier is taking so long?"

"Maybe something happened?"

"School just started, what could have happened?" 

"Then after school, still on with that bet?"

"And now I have a new favorite flavor."

"-movie is really nice."

Her classmates continued on with their conversations, not that Marinette mind. She figures getting a few minutes of relaxation would be nice, her packed schedule made it difficult to get such time for it.

She had been exhausted lately. 

Marinette not only has her studies, but also the work as the class representative. Then there is her duty as Ladybug, along with studying how to be a guardian. The last one is a slow process, especially since she is on her own after what happened with Master Fu.

No Marinette is not bitter with the fact the old man decided to wipe his memories and live a normal life, totally not bitter.

Then the commissions she needs to do and help out on the Bakery. At least her parents don't force her on helping them, Marinette only does it for extra cash. Even if the commissions pay well, she needs another source of income to stocked up on her capital.

All in all, she is exhausted.

"Psst, Marinette."

Marinette blinked, eyes turning towards her purse. Tikki seems hesitant on saying something, making Marinette wonder what she wants.

"Why are the windows shut?"

Blink.

The windows?

At this moment, Marinette realised a crucial detail. The entire classroom is dark. It was not completely dark, just the fact that the lights are off and windows are shut. The only light is the ones that get in from the windows, making the whole classroom rather dim.

Oh, and the lamps on the teacher's table and around the classroom.

There were four, five if you count the one on Miss Bustier's desk, lamps. One on each corner.

That subtle feeling grows larger.

Marinette inched forward, whispering to Nathaniel. "Why are the windows shut? And what's with the lamps?"

"You don't know either?" Nathaniel muttered, turning to face her. "The classroom was like this from the start. Miss Bustier said that we are not allowed to open the windows or turn on the lights."

Weird.

Really weird. 

There are two possibilities on what is going on. One, there is an akuma. The second option is that something else is happening. Marinette is leaning on the former.

Before she could scan the room for any clues about the akuma, Miss Bustier came in. Following behind her is someone Marinette is quite certain is an akuma, or at least she was until Tikki shook her head at Marinette's questioning eyes.

"Class, allow me to introduce to you our new student." Not an akuma then. She can't be blamed for thinking the new student is one though.

Black hair covering his face and a thick black hooded cape wrapped on his body. Marinette can see what looks like a waistcoat underneath, though it was difficult to tell what color. He looks like an akuma with a tamer design. Hawk Moth sometimes goes with a more subtle design, something Marinette finds much more pleasing to the eye than the other akumas with over the top fashion styles.

"H-hello, I am Umehito Nekozawa. I am an exchange student from Japan. I also have photophobia, which means I am sensitive to light."

A new student, hopefully someone not like Lila. Marinette admits she is a bit wary, though Umehito seems nice so far. Besides, who would lie about having photophobia? She'll just keep a distance from him.

"Alright, you can sit next to Marinette."

There goes that plan.

Notes:

So, Miracle Queen did not happen. Fu lost his memories for another reason. Also since Chloe's identity is known, she is no longer Queen Bee. Most of the akumas would be original ones with a few canon mixed in. As for Shadow moth and Zoe, they are either not part of this fic or has a whole different take.

Anyway, next chapter should be release either next week or around the weekend.

Chapter 4

Summary:

Honeyyy: Nekozawa-kun is in an exchange program

 

His seatmate is Ladybug.

Notes:

"Japanese"
"Russian"
"Magic"
Thoughts

Chapter Text

His seatmate is Ladybug.

Magic leaves imprints, some sort of feeling. A signature, if you will. Even the miraculous are no exception.

Dupont is surrounded with magic. Being an akuma 'hotspot', it makes sense for the school to be shrouded with it. His class, the so-called akuma class, has traces of magic on them.

This is the reason why he could not pinpoint who is a true magic wielder, at least until he is within arm's reach.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng has a magic signature, signifying herself as someone who is capable of wielding magic. If it was any other magic user, they would have thought it was the case.

But Umehito is not any other magic user, he is a Nekozawa. The Nekozawa clan heir, at that.

As someone who came from such a clan, he knew that Dupain-Cheng is not a normal magic wielder. 

Of course he would not have known she was Ladybug with just these clues. Magic sensing has limits, just like every other magic. 

The miraculous are powerful artefacts. If inactive, it would be practically impossible to sense them. Even when active, the miraculous emits a powerful glamor, making it almost impossible for magic wielders to tell whether a miraculous holder is someone who has contact with magic, latent magical ability with incredible potential, or just another magic wielder.

Umehito only realised Marinette Dupain-Cheng is Ladybug because of his connection to the Black Cat miraculous.

Without it, he would never have thought of her as Ladybug.

Regardless, his seatmate is Ladybug.

This explains why Plagg had asked him to join Dupont, especially this class. He had thought it was because of the fact that this class is infamous for being akumatized, he should have known there is more to the request.

Umehito sighs, it appears that being the new Black Cat holder involves a certain Ladybug holder in his daily life and not just with the akumas.

 


 

Welcome~~

RoseDad: is it trueeeeeee

KTwin: wut tru??

HTwin: wut tru??

GlassesMom: Yes, Tamaki. It is true.

CommonerDaughter: What are you guys talking about?

Honeyyy: Nekozawa-kun is in an exchange program

Ktwin: i thougt he ws hlpng his fmly bsnss in France??

HTwin: i thougt he ws hlpng his fmly bsnss in France??

LadyManager: he was but he joined sme sort of xchnge progrm w an elite school in paris

CommonerDaughter: good for him then

 


 

The best solution to getting rid of his curse is through the Ladybug miraculous. In other words, having plenty of close contact with the Ladybug holder is a faster way of removing, or at least suppressing, his curse.

"The best form is when she is transformed as Ladybug. It's faster since she emits a lot of Sugarcube's magic." Plagg says, staring at him. Umehito is a bit annoyed at not being informed about such important information, but he knew better than to hold grudges. "Doesn't mean it is not effective with her real self. Although you might want to find a way to teach her magic."

A raised eyebrow.

Teach Dupain-Cheng magic? That was an odd suggestion. He is certain that she already has a mentor, someone with such magical potential like hers would have to have one already.

But in case she doesn't, he would have to investigate to make sure, it was best not to jump into conclusions. That and the miraculous tend to make it difficult for magic wielders to pick up on magical potential, for all he knew some magic wielders probably thought Dupain-Cheng had yet to unlock her magical capabilities.

This would be difficult.

Exiting the boy's bathroom, he turned and gave a bow to the person he had just been talking about. "My a-apologies for keeping you waiting, Dupain-Cheng-chan."

He's somewhat glad that Dupain-Cheng is assigned to help him. It makes it easier for him to be closer, as well as find the time to talk to her about the miraculous.

"It's fine, also call me Marinette." Du-no, Marinette said with a smile.

At least she is friendly. Now Umehito has to make this polite friendliness into actual friendliness.

"Alright." How does one make each other friends? Gulping, he put one of his hands in his pocket, only to be clenching on something.

It is a white cat puppet.

"Ah, this is Beelzenef."

Her eyes are wide, her mouth slightly agape. At this moment, Umehito remembers how people tend to be freaked out over Beelzenef.

I messed up.

Before he can try to calm her down, ' at least she isn't crying' , Marinette smiled.

Smile!

Is something wrong?

Did he break her?

No one ever smiled when they first met Beelzenef. At least those who are not part of his clan.

Or even part of my clan. He remembered the terrified look on his sister's face.

"It's nice to meet you, Beelzenef." Marinette said, her voice soft as she smiled at the puppet.

Umehito senses no ill will from her nor does she show insincerity. She actually likes Beelzenef.

She doesn't think he is a weirdo, or at least she doesn't find Beelzenef weird.

Maybe this friendship thing with the Ladybug miraculous holder would not be so hard after all.

Umehito did not realise that he was actually smiling himself.

Chapter 5

Summary:

He has no idea what he is doing.

 

Umehito feels sick.

 

Whatever it is, until he does a proper check, he should stay away from Rossi. 

Chapter Text

He has no idea what he is doing.

Umehito has never been the one to initiate being friends with someone. It was normally the other people doing it for him. But now, he has to be the one to befriend Marinette.

He has no idea what he is doing.

Stay calm, lots of people can do this. Beelzenef, the Host club do this on a daily basis.

So far, he had managed to get Marinette to agree to let him have lunch with her and her friends.

(Plagg would like to claim that it was Marinette who suggested it, and Umehito who screeched yes.)

Due to his photophobia, the lunch would take place in the Art club's room. In other words, Umehito would not have to worry about the stare of others.

The Art room, true to Marinette's words, was already dark when they entered. In the center, a table is placed and a group of people are already seated at.

"Everyone, this is Umehito Nekozawa, an exchange student from Japan. He'll be having lunch with us."

That was obvious.

Umehito never understands why humans state the obvious. "Hello, it's nice to meet you."

He hopes he doesn't sound too bad. He had practiced a bit with Plagg and some of his people, but he isn't certain that it is enough.

"Yo, name's Alix Kubdel." The girl, Alix, introduced herself.  Pink hair, neon green stripes on her clothes, and roller skates, Ouran would never let her step foot on their halls with that attire.

"Nathaniel Kurtzberg." His red hair is striking, something Umehito knows a certain Suoh would be fascinated with. "I, I'm an artist."

"Marc Anciel, his boyfriend." The one with the red hoodie said, his voice full of pride.

A boyfriend? 

Same-sex relationships are not that common in the upper society. They exist , but most families, especially the more traditional ones, prefer the hetero pairings. 

Of course if it cannot be helped, surrogacy is an option.

" Tsurugi Kagami, pleasure to make your acquaintance. " Oh, someone from Japan. It would seem like he has to stick with the Russian spells around her, unless he confirms that she is a magic wielder.

She has that signature, in fact almost all of the people in the room give one, although he cannot tell if it is dormant or awake.

"Luka Couffaine, your music is nice."

His what

Maybe he should also look into whether Couffaine is also an empath. He really hates the fact that this school is surrounded with too much magic. If he knew there are so many magic wielders or at least potential ones, he would have been more prepared.

"Tsk, Chloé Bourgeois. The mayor's daughter got that?"

He wonders if it was meant as intimidation. He is a Nekozawa, the heir at that, a mayor is merely a small ant for him. Not that he would do anything, of course.

He would have to do a proper investigation, though.

 


 

"Hi, I am Lila Rossi. I was also a new student here, so if you need any help getting used to this place, go ahead and talk to me." 

Chills went through Umehito's spine. There is something about those words, like a compelling notion. The shadows around him recoiled from the girl, the words giving off a hazy feeling.

A subconscious magic skill? It's very potent too.

Whatever it is, until he does a proper check, he should stay away from Rossi. 

"T-thank you, but Bustier- sensei has already assigned Marinette- chan to help me."

Her face morphs into something wicked, too fast for him to see. There is something in the air, something sinister.

I-is she some demon? No, she doesn't feel like one.

Umehito is not scared . He just finds it unnerving at how he can't tell what Rossi is doing. The shadows around her whispers to him, telling him to be on guard.

Tears.

She is crying. 

Why is she crying? 

Umehito is confused, and a bit panicked. There is something twisting around the room, the cries invoking a strange feeling.

Umehito feels sick.

The talisman he wore, hidden underneath his cloak, burns. This means someone is trying to charm him.

He can see his new classmates watching the scene. Some had a look of fury, as if Rossi was wronged. He can see others having a look of concern, concern over Rossi that is.

"S-she told you I was lying right? I-I'm not, okay? I don't know why she would say that."

He feels nauseous.

A thick layer of magic wraps around the room. It makes one feel concern, pity, and fury. 

It is terrifying.

Umehito has never seen such a powerful subconscious magic ability before. Many students in Ouran can evoke subconscious magic as well, but not one so negative as Rossi's.

He had to study this more, but first he has to find a way to stop Rossi from using her skill.

Judging from the words she said, it appears that she is somewhat aware of her affinity. 

Manipulative.

A, what appears to be, hypnotic magic ability being used subconsciously.

Not a good combination.

Words have power, in this case, rather literal. The best way, for now as he has no idea on how to completely break it, is to use words against her.

Fight fire with fire, as they say.

"I have no idea what you are saying, Rossi- chan . What do you mean by lies?"

Shock.

There is another emotion, but she hid it too fast for Umehito to know. At least he caught a glimpse of it. 

"B-but, why do you not w-want to talk to me?" Oh, so now she spins it around as his fault.

If he had not been a magic user, he would have been entranced by those words. He would have apologised to her for a non-existent fault by now.

How unfortunate for her, then.

"Ah, but I did not say that." 

There is something off about her eyes, almost like triumph? The faces in the class are strange, the magic swirls around.

Oh, wrong words.

Umehito bit his lips. He has no choice but to end this for now. If he continues, he has no doubt Rossi's magic can cast bad feelings about him.

I can't tarnish my reputation. I need them for now.

The class has to be on his side, especially since he could use them for alibis.

He has no choice.

"You must have heard wrong."

Her eyes flickered, Umehito can see his spell seeps into her. Good, it appears she cannot protect herself from actual magic wielders.

He would have to do more research about this magic later. That and investigate the school and his class properly. He would rather not be caught off guard again.

"Y-you're right. I heard wrong."

Chapter 6

Summary:

It has been three days.

Three days since he had started going to Dupont.

 

"I don't trust her."

A whisper.

Chapter Text

Umehito Nekozawa.

Umehito Nekozawa, a foreign exchange student from Japan. Marinette never knew the school even had an exchange program with a Japanese school. It was too suspicious.

She admits she spends a good portion of her time observing one Umehito Nekozawa.

It was for safety reasons!

Everything about him is suspicious. From his attire, to his sudden appearance. For all Marinette knows, he might not even be Japanese. 

Of course her paranoia is not unfounded. Ever since the whole Lila debacle, Marinette has been wary about new people.

So it is shocking for her to see him not believe Lila. 

Marinette does not know how , but Lila is very good at convincing people that she is telling the truth. She also, somehow , manages to dissuade them from fact checking.

Seeing Umehito not believe Lila, even downright avoiding her, it shook Marinette completely.

It could also be the fact that his first encounter with Lila involves her accusing Marinette claiming that she is lying.

Regardless, Marinette is having a hard time choosing whether to add him to her friend circle, the one who actually knows Lila is lying, or still continue observing him.

"Why not both?" Tikki says, as she eats a macaron. It was not a bad idea, besides she is assigned to him. It is a good plan to get him on her side.

 


 

"What do you think of Lila?"

A flinch.

Too direct. 

She knew she should have eased the conversation first, but Marinette was too tense, wanting to know his answer as soon as possible.

He looks at her, eyes guarded. It is as if he is looking for something. Marinette has no idea what he is looking for.

A confirmation?

Some sort of clue on how to respond?

She really should have not been too direct. She can feel herself tensing, waiting for him to answer. He hasn't said anything yet.

A minute.

Two minutes.

Every second passed by in a slow trickling manner.

Both of them are staring at each other's eyes, searching for something . Marinette does not even know what she is looking for.

"S-she has," She has what? I need to know! "A unique imagination."

Silence.

It seems like Umehito thinks his answer is too broad. His next words only cause Marinette to gape.

"She is very persuasive, a good actress too. She knows how to get people to act around her, following a script she wrote."

If Marinette is reading the words right, Umehito is implying that Lila is a manipulative liar.

Her eyes widened. She feels relieved. She knew Umehito does not like Lila, but she did not know how much he knows about her.

"I don't trust her."

A whisper.

Marinette almost thought she had misheard. He doesn't trust her . This means anything Lila says will be taken with distrust, that he knew Lila would manipulate people.

That Lila can harm people .

Marinette smiles.

She does not realise she has tears in her eyes, and Umehito did not mention it.

 


 

Li(e)la Rossi Sucks

猫澤 梅人 has joined the chat.

EverydayMariBug: another prson w a brain cell

JapaneseMulan: Ah yes, another from the homeland. Konnichiwa, Nekozawa-san

A(ce)lix: can u like chnge ur usrname??? 

猫澤 梅人: alright

猫澤 梅人 has change 猫澤 梅人 to Beelzenef

Rainbow: wht da hell is a beelzenef??

Beelzenef: my cat puppet

Tomato: u ahve a cat puppt?!?!!

 


 

It has been three days.

Three days since he had started going to Dupont. So far, everything is going well, ignoring the sudden appearances of probable magic wielders.

Umehito had managed to befriend Marinette Dupain-Cheng. It was a bit of a struggle coping with her group of friends, but he had managed to find common ground with them.

He is fitting in, albeit in a slow manner.

If anyone from Ouran hears this, they would have been surprised. While Umehito was not exactly an outcast, he was still not welcomed.

Most of the students only get acquainted with him because of his family's wealth. He did not really have any close friends outside of his club and the Hosts.

Then the whole Halloween prank happened, resulting in a good portion of the school fearing him, another portion hates him, and a few stragglers who keep away from either because of the crowd or just because they think he is even weirder than they thought.

Maybe this exchange program is good for him.

" Come in. "

His secretary and maid walked in, both holding something in their hands. Kuretake is holding a tray, Umehito notes that it is full of cheese.

Must be for Plagg.

" Young Master ." Kadomatsu hands him a thick folder. " The investigation results. Unfortunately, you must wait longer for the results about magic. "

A nod.

He knows that it would take some time before he can confirm the magic around the school and his class. For now, he would just observe them.

With a bow, Kuretake and Kadomatsu leave the room. He knew very well they would come back later to call him for supper.

He opened the folder and started reading. Even if it is incomplete, the information gathered would still be helpful to him.

François Dupont is an elite school, however unlike Ouran Academy, they accept students based on either talent or money.

His class, as it turns out, has most of the most influential students in the entire school.

Marinette is the daughter of the owners of the best bakery in Paris and has a small name in the fashion circle, designing for some notable stars.

Césaire runs the most famous blog in Paris, as well as her parents being respected in their fields.

Kanté created an AI named Markov, becoming someone plenty of Tech giants are keeping an eye on.

Lallivant is friends with a prince, Couffaine is the child of a rockstar, Lê Chiên is someone being scouted by a national swimming team, Lahiffe's family owns a recording studio, and these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Every single person in the class has a connection, each one of them being influential in their own right.

Almost all of them .

Lila Rossi, daughter of a junior diplomat. Definitely does not know any of the bigshots he had heard her claim. No notable achievement done, not even a charity she supposedly helped in.

I'll have to keep a close eye on her.

From what the information stated, the richest student in the school, besides Tsurugi, before he joined is also in his class.

Umehito remembers seeing him. He never talked to the other boy since coming to school. It is as if there is something bothering him. Then there is a strange rippling feeling around him, along with the fact that Rossi's powers do not seem to be effective with him.

Hmm.

"Adrien Agreste, a model. Most popular teenager in Paris, son of fashion giant Gabriel Agreste. I wonder what you are hiding?" 

Chapter 7

Summary:

Footsteps.

Someone is approaching him. 

 

The heroine's eyes were wide in shock, before narrowing at seeing him.

"Who are you?"

Chapter Text

A Kwami can sense magic.

Nooroo had sensed it, almost two weeks ago. He had sensed the familiar feeling of darkness, cold and oddly comforting.

Plagg had been up to something.

What it was, Nooroo does not know. He does, however, hope that it is something that can stop Hawk Moth.

He had been uncertain on what exactly Plagg is up to, and what little he might discover is put on a stop when Gabriel ends up going on a business trip.

Taking Nooroo with him, of course.

Now he is back, and the familiar feeling has long since been gone. It appears that Plagg had achieved whatever he had wanted to achieve.

Footsteps.

Someone is approaching him. 

Oh, it appears that Gabriel wishes to continue so soon.

If it had been any other holder, Nooroo might have mentioned Plagg's sudden use of magic. But Nooroo knows better than to inform the man.

"Nooroo," Besides, he wants to see the look on his face. " Dark wings rise! "

 




His phone is buzzing.

The exquisite violin music paused, being cut off by the sound. Umehito sighs, putting down his fork.

He took out his phone and blinked.

It was an akuma alarm.

He had installed the app, figuring that it would be helpful with his duty as a hero. 

"Akuma."

Plagg does not seem to like his words, turning his back on him as he continues eating the delicate cheese platter served for him.

"Can it wait until we finished dinner?"

Umehito shook his head, pushing himself out of his seat. He made his way to his balcony, preparing to transform.

Really, of all times an akuma attacks it has to be during dinner. Umehito can now understand why Plagg complains about akuma attacks.

At least it's not when I'm asleep or in a meeting.

That would just be annoying.

"Plagg, claws out! "

The wave of magic hits him, completely enveloping him until he is transformed. Pulling out his baton, he checked the communicator on where the akuma was.

After reading the directions, Umehito sets off towards the akuma. Thank goodness I do not have a fear of heights.

 


 

The area surrounding the akuma is full of flowers and trees. Large, sprawling flowers that bind people and trap them inside their petals. Then there appear to be giant roots that destroyed the road.

Umehito watches as one of the running people is caught, screaming as he is pulled inside. 

This is his first akuma and it just has to be a flower themed one. Why would someone be akumatized over flowers at this time, Umehito wants to know.

The shadows curled around, keeping him from being seen as he moved from rooftop to rooftop. He moves quickly, following the sound of fighting.

There, in the very centre, is a giant tree with two people fighting. One is Ladybug, her signature yoyo hitting flowers and vines that come close to her. The other is the akuma, using her power to attack the hero.

The akuma is flower themed, just like her powers. She reminds Umehito of the American comic book character Poison Ivy. 

A blue dress designed like an upside down flower. A flower crown on her head, her skin in the colour of green. She was barefoot, yet there are flower garlands tied on both of her ankles.

She was also holding an axe.

"Give it up, bug! I, Dryad, will take your miraculous and destroy all those who wish to cut down my tree!"

To Umehito's horror, the tree grew, shaking Ladybug off. Luckily the hero has fast reflexes and managed to stop herself from falling. 

And then she barely managed to stop the axe from beheading her.

He needs to go down there.

Deep breaths, you can do this .

Using the baton as a javelin, Umehito leaps into the air. He moves past the flowers, avoiding himself from being caught. 

No one noticed him.

Both Ladybug and Dryad were too busy fighting each other. No one noticed Umehito who was hiding on the side.

Wait for it.

Ladybug avoids another attack.

Not yet.

The axe swings. Ladybug dodge. A flower grows and tries to ensnare the hero. Ladybug dodge again.

Almost.

Dryad is angry, her hair turns to long vines trying to capture Ladybug. More flowers grew, the tree shook.

Closer. Just a little bit more.

The axe glints in the light, Dryad rushed towards Ladybug who was overwhelmed with the flowers.

Now!

With a push of a button, the baton grew longer. The end hit the akuma, pushing her off the tree.

Umehito leaped down, landing in front of Ladybug. The heroine's eyes were wide in shock, before narrowing at seeing him.

"Who are you?"

Ah, it appears she was uninformed of the change of partner. Umehito sighed, knowing he would have to talk to Plagg later about withholding information, again .

For now though,

"I'm your new partner, call me Bakeneko!"

Chapter 8

Summary:

Confused.

Marinette is confused. 

 

A magic circle glows underneath his feet

Chapter Text

Confused.

Marinette is confused. 

New partner? As far as she knows, only the guardian can take away a miraculous.

And she is the guardian.

"I'll explain later, right now we have an akuma to stop." 

As if on cue, a vine snaps towards them. Marinette jumped up, avoiding the attack.

She has questions, so many questions. Unfortunately now was not the time for them.

She turned towards Bakeneko, the cat themed hero who was busy whacking vines and flowers. 

"Neko!" Bakeneko is too long, and really neko somewhat fits. If she remembers what Kagami said before, neko means cat. "You are answering all my questions later."

 


 

Vines.

So many vines. 

Vines and flowers, roots and pollen.

Umehito is starting to hate the colour green. Not dark green, the bright shade.

He dodge the vines, his claws cutting them off. As it turns out, they have an actual use besides the aesthetic. 

"And who might you be, kitty?"

He blocked the axe swinging towards him. At this moment, Umehito regrets not learning fencing.

At least Mori-kun taught me a few kendo moves.

"Call me Bakeneko."

He kicked Dryad in the chest, jumping away to avoid the vines reaching for him. Thank Beelzenef, I learned martial arts.

 


 

A new Black Cat holder.

Inexperienced at that.

Hawk Moth has no idea what Ladybug is up to, nor does he have a clue on what happened to Chat Noir.

Bakeneko's appearance might just be the trigger to the downfall of the heroes. 

"Choosing an inexperienced user to replace Chat Noir? My, it appears you underestimate me."

Ladybug is a fool thinking a new cat would be what she needed to take him down.

While Chat Noir was not a good partner, he was still an effective hero. At least, when he tries to.

Regardless, he would still win in the end.

 


 

Umehito knows he is inexperienced.

He has plenty of experience when it comes to magic, but towards the miraculous especially fighting akumas? It would take a few before he could consider himself able to do it on his own.

Until then, his best option is to follow Ladybug's lead.

"Any ideas where the akumatized object might be?" He dodged another vine. His baton is practically useless besides blocking and enhancing his jumps, he does not possess the same fencing skills as Chat Noir.

"I tried the flower crown, she can grow more." Ladybug cuts another vine. "And the crown turns to more vines and flowers."

Not the flower crown then. 

He leaps, avoiding the axe heading towards him. A flying kick, his baton behind him for him to use as a landing, and Dryad crashing backwards.

Wait. The axe!

It is too far for him to see. 

He needs a minute, and a much closer look. He turned, heading towards Ladybug.

"I have an idea, but I need to confirm it. Can you cover for me for a few seconds?"

Ladybug does not like his suggestion. Or more like she does not trust that he knows what he is doing. Maybe this has something to do with why Chat Noir was retired?

"Fine, but this better works."

That is good enough.

He positioned himself in a spot that Ladybug could protect him better. Reaching for his belt, he took the book strapped on it.

Deep breaths.

Umehito feels a surge of magic in his body, heading towards his hands. Pushing the magic into the book, a magic circle glows underneath his feet.

He hears a faint exclamation of surprise from Ladybug. He ignores it for now, knowing very well that he is adding more questions to be answered later.

The book moves, the pages turning before stopping on a random page. An ink drawing of Dryad is in the center, a butterfly skeleton is in the background.

"Dryads dwell on trees,

Vines and flowers grows around,

Spirits of nature tells,

Whisper to me,

Hawk Moth's power lacks,

The anchor in its battle axe,

Glow, glow, glow,

If the answer does not ring bells"

Every word he says is written on the page, glistening in a sheen of green the shade of Plagg's eyes.

The axe glows in a bright colour. A tingling sensation wrapped around Umehito, the magic singing to him.

His lips curved into a smirk. "Found it."

Before Dryad could recover from the shock, Umehito rushed forward. She barely managed to dodge as Umehito continued attacking her.

Ladybug, having snapped out of her stupor, threw her yoyo towards the axe. The yoyo wraps itself on the axe handle, Umehito noticing this, uses his baton to hit Dryad back, giving Ladybug the time to pull the axe towards her without Dryad holding on to it.

"Neko!" Dryad is using her vines, trying to get the axe back. The fact that the axe is also trying to fly towards Dryad made it even more difficult for Ladybug.

Umehito slammed the baton on the back of Dryad's head, the akuma being unguarded, too busy attempting to stop Ladybug.

"Cataclysm." A swirling ball of pure destruction magic forms in his hand.

As if on cue, Ladybug releases her hold on the axe. The axe heads towards where Umehito and Dryad are.

He grabs hold of the axe, watching in awe as the cataclysm disintegrates the akumatized object.

A negative aura is released into the air.

The butterfly, the akuma , emits a potent negativity around it. The magic is dark, not the dark Umehito is used to, but one more primal and sinister. 

The rest ends with Umehito being in a trance, Ladybug having purified the akuma and comforting the victim.

It is not until Césaire showed up, practically pushing her phone on his face, and shouting one question after another, that snapped him out of it.

"Who are you? What happened to Chat Noir? Are you temporary? What was that circle earlier? How did you do tha-"

"Bakeneko." It's rude to cut off people, but Umehito needs her to stop before he gets overwhelmed with the questions. "As for what happened to Chat Noir, all you need to know is that he is retired."

Césaire obviously has more questions to ask, but Umehito does not want to answer any of them. He does not even know what he could answer without revealing too much.

"I have to go." With a nod to Ladybug, Umehito leaps away.

All he has to do now is wait for Ladybug to contact him later. He would have to prepare answers though.

" Why did I agree to this again? "

Chapter 9

Summary:

He is early.

 

"I'm Bakeneko."

Chapter Text

He is early.

It is four minutes before nine in the evening. Four minutes before the agreed time. 

Umehito is nervous.

Judging from his actions earlier, he knew that he at least proved himself to Ladybug. He is, however, unsure if it means that she could trust him.

Marinette took a while to view him as a friend, even now she is still guarded around him.

Just make sure she can agree to being colleagues.

A thump.

It came from behind him.

Umehito made sure not to tense, wanting Ladybug to know that he trusts her enough to face her by his back.

"Ah, I'm early." Smooth Umehito, smooth. "So, you have questions?"

He turned to look at her, internally cringing at his words. He really needs to work on his people skills.

Ladybug looks at him with narrowed eyes. Her eyebrows are furrowed, her lips pursed. He knew she was observing him.

"I'm Bakeneko."

Silence.

Before he can say something, anything to get rid of this awkward silence, Ladybug finally asks him a question.

"What happened to Chat Noir?"

That is the most obvious question. It is also the one Umehito had practiced the answer the longest.

"Well, Plagg finds him unsatisfactory with the whole hero work." Her face morphs into something unreadable. Need more details . "You see Plagg has this ability to choose his own holders as long as he finds the ones with him unworthy."

Actually there are more things than just the unworthiness. Plagg had mentioned something about bonds and other complex stuff, but Umehito figures that he could explain further to Ladybug once he figures out how much she knows about magic.

Judging from her reaction to his stunt earlier, it can be seen that she had never seen such magic. Something Umehito finds worrying considering that such flashy spells are rather well-known.

Not a lot of people can do what he did, but magic wielders typically know about this or at least are aware of it.

"He deems Chat Noir unworthy and finds someone else. Of course he can't actually break his bond with Chat Noir since he was chosen by the guardian unless someone else has a much stronger bond to him."

Finding out the guardian is in Paris had not been so surprising. Finding out that the guardian named Marinette as the new guardian explains the suggestion of teaching her magic.

"Why would the guardian give the miraculous box to an untrained magic wielder?" Umehito had said, staring at the Kwami with incredulous eyes.

Plagg just shrugs.

He pushed that memory back, continuing his explanation.

"As for the circle earlier, there are other forms of magic than the miraculous."

He can see the interest and curiosity in Ladybug's eyes. "I, someone who can wield a different form of magic, is called a magic user."

"Magic user? Why not wizards or warlocks?" 

Good question, and one of the easily misunderstood ones. Umehito knew that the person in front of him is someone he has to find the time to teach magic, might as well teach her a few things.

"I am a magic user . This means I can use magic in different forms. You could say I am like a sorcerer, except I have no need to use wands but a channel helps me convert magic."

He showed her his book. "This is a spellbook. It acts as a medium, something to help me channel my magic better. But I can still use magic without it."

He placed it back on his belt. Ladybug continues watching him, a look of fascination in her face. 

"Warlocks, wizards, they exist too. Unlike me though, they can only use their form of magic."

He then points to his ring, then her earrings. "The miraculous is a form of magic. While anyone can use it, not everyone can fully harness it."

"Cataclysm is an example of a miraculous spell. Anyone who has no talent in using the miraculous would only manage to emit a small black orb, they cannot however use it effectively. In other words, while they would have no trouble destroying items, anything magical like an akumatized item is a blind spot."

He paused, remembering something he read in his book about the miraculous. "Those with no magic ability to wield the miraculous, even if they are magical, would end up with a curse of some sort. The Black Cat is said to curse holders with bad luck."

"As a magic user, the only limit I have is the amount of forms and arts I know and mastered."

"That is, just, wow." Ladybug muttered, shocked at the information he had just shared.

Umehito admits that miraculous are amazing artefacts. If he had not been transformed, he doubts he could have shared so much information without stuttering.

They did say that the miraculous brings out people's emotions and true personality. 

"Alright then, Neko. If Plagg , of all Kwamis, thinks that you are worthy, then I will give you a chance."

He knew it would not be so simple to get her to fully trust him. He has time, it's not like he needs to teach Ladybug magic now.

For now, he would work on her trusting him.

Chapter 10

Summary:

Tikki looks at her, concerned in her eyes. "Is something wrong Marinette?"

"How come," Marinette pursed her lips. "All of my temporary holders can use the miraculous?"

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There is something bothering her.

If the miraculous can only be used by certain people, then how come so many of her temporary heroes were able to do so? Not a single one had been cursed either.

"Tikki." 

Tikki looks at her, concerned in her eyes. "Is something wrong Marinette?"

"How come," Marinette pursed her lips. "All of my temporary holders can use the miraculous?"

Something flashes in Tikki's eyes. "Oh, that's because you are thinking it wrong."

Huh?

"Marinette, have you ever seen any of them fully harness the miraculous potential?"

What?

Tikki must have seen the confusion in her face. She sighed, moving on a spot much more comfortable before continuing her explanation. "Anyone can use the miraculous, yes, but not everyone can use it."

"Take Alya for example. The fox is a tricky miraculous, but it is more than her simple illusions. Have you ever wondered what the difference Rena Rouge has towards Volpina? Both seem to have the same powers, yet the miraculous is supposed to be stronger. This is because Alya can use the miraculous, but cannot harness its true potential."

Marinette's eyes became clearer, realisation slowly etching in her face.

"Take Aspik as another example. It took many second chances and he still failed because he was not meant for the Snake miraculous."

"Then there is Hawk Moth. He is tainting the magic of the Butterfly miraculous, which is why his akumas are weaker than what actual Champions of the miraculous strength is supposed to be."

"You are the best Ladybug I have, and I mean it. Anyone else would not be able to use Lucky charm like you, instead the item they got would really be random. You might think it is random too, but you always get the Lucky charm that you need."

Everything is starting to fit. She never thought that choosing holders is far more complex. There is just one thing she doesn't understand. "What about the curses?"

"It depends." Depends on what?

Tikki, as if knowing her question, continued. "Depends on the miraculous and the holder. Plagg, unlike others, usually curses anyone he finds unworthy of bad luck even if they were chosen by the guardian. But sometimes…."

It was barely audible, the words Tikki said brought horror to Marinette. "Sometimes he brings out the worst of them. Chat Noir was slowly becoming irrational because he was cursed. The ring is picky, sometimes those holders Plagg actually likes can be cursed too. This is because the miraculous view them as people who cannot use the Black Cat. Chat Noir, I know Plagg likes him at first, had been viewed by the ring as unworthy from the start. That is why he was slowly becoming unfit as a hero, he was never meant to be one at the start."

"T-then why did Master Fu not revoked it?" Marinette feels herself turn pale, her whole body trembling in fear. "Surely he knew that Chat is cursed right ?"

"I don't know Marinette." Tikki shook her head sadly. "I know Plagg was trying to keep the curse from affecting Chat Noir completely. Plagg, I guess, he gave up on Chat Noir. Even if he can suppress it, Chat's days are numbered."

"Then what about Hawk Moth?" Marinette feels anxious, if Chat can be cursed, surely someone abusing the miraculous had been too?

"That Hawk Moth can actually use the Butterfly. He can actually be a holder, but since he is using the miraculous for evil things, his power is limited and tainted."

"Tikki, I don't know how to tell if someone can use the miraculous." She feels helpless. She is the guardian, yet she doesn't even know such important information. 

"It's alright Marinette. As long as the Kwami grants them permission, they can use the miraculous without worrying about the curse." Tikki said, before adding another warning. "However, they would not be able to use the miraculous full potential. I also suggest not letting certain miraculous out since they actually curse holders even with permission if the miraculous finds them unworthy."

Marinette nods. She needs to learn more about the miraculous. If Bakeneko had not told her about this, she would have accidentally caused someone to be cursed.

 




Banshees, no it does not fit.

His right hand turned the page, his left hand twirls the pen he is holding. 

Page after page.

The only sound in the room is the sound of the pages being turned. 

"Humanoid creatures? Why are you reading that?" The words pierce the silence engulfing the room. His hand pauses, head turning towards the tiny god.

Plagg is nestled in a soft cushion made of the finest silk money can buy. It had just arrived today, having been flown overseas. 

The god is nibbling on a piece of cheese. It was, if Umehito guessed right, cheese straight from his family's cheese factory in Switzerland, the most expensive kind too. The glass of the plate reflects in the dim light, showing the high quality diamonds embedded on it.

Only the best for the Black Cat Kwami.

"Trying to figure out Rossi's magic." 

Subconscious magic is some of the trickiest magic in existence. This is because the wielders typically have no idea of their existence, leading it to be difficult to tell whether they are activated or not. Some of the wielders even had them active all the time.

They are usually fine, normally only affecting the wielder. Some of those who have it are just a little bit luckier than others, or unlucky if it is a curse. Others can seem to somewhat understand animals, a few can make food that gives off emotions when eaten, and some can see in the dark better than others. All in all, they are usually harmless.

Of course there are harmful ones too, Rossi being a primary example.

Regardless, subconscious magic is normally passed on by genes. Those who had them typically have some magical creature blood in their bloodline.

"I'm leaning on the siren, but I can't be sure until she tries using it when wet."

There is also the case that it is a curse. Whatever it is, he has to find a way to stop Rossi from using her magic.

It is his duty as a responsible magic user.

Notes:

Lore! So much lore. I am going to be honest with you guys, this is going to be slowburn especially since Umehito and Marinette has a lot going on right now.

Guesses on how Umehito is going to deal with Lila? How about what is going on with Adrien? Any take on who could be the new holders? Comment~

Chapter 11

Summary:

#NewCatInParis

#WhatHappenedToChatNoir

 

"Who is he?"

Chapter Text

SunshineBoy@adrienStan22

Luv the new look:3

[Image: Bakeneko being interviewed by Alya Césaire]

#Bakeneko #NewCatInParis #CatLookSoGood

 

Meow~@chattonfel1ne

But srsly? Where did Chat Noir go?? Did Ladybug just change partners like that???

#Bakeneko #NewCatInParis #ChatNoir #WhatHappenedToChatNoir

 

BugOut@PoundItSquad

Is anyone going to talk about how Bakeneko can use ACTUAL magic?? Like guys, he has a spellbook!! 

[Video: shaky footage of Bakeneko, a magic circle appearing, one can barely hear him chant the spell]

#Bakeneko #NewCatInParis #RealMagic #WhatIsBakeneko

 

RenaRouge@FoxyFlute

Magic Cat?? Actual magic cat?? Like magic is real?? Harry Potter style magic?? Bakeneko we need answers!!!

#Bakeneko #NewCatInParis #RealMagic #IHaveQuestions

 


 

Umehito had decided that Lila Rossi was not a priority. 

The girl is not powerful and as long as Umehito is on guard, she would not be much of a problem.

No, the curse that he should prioritize, besides his own, is that of Chat Noir.

Plagg had asked him for a favour, to find a way to at least suppress the former hero's curse. 

The description of Chat Noir's curse is frightening and downright horrifying. Not only that but miraculous magic is extremely tricky. It would take months if not years for Umehito to find the solution that is actually effective. The only way to speed up the process is to find a guardian's grimoire.

Until he has access, Umehito would have to track down Chat Noir and experience firsthand how bad the curse is.

 


 

"Are you alright, bro?"

Umehito has no idea why that sentence causes him to look up. It had nothing to do with him, yet he still watched the scene.

As does everyone else in class, having to stop their own conversations or activity in favour of staring.

It had been less than a week since he joined the class, four days in fact, and just yesterday had been his debut as Bakeneko.

The class had been friendly towards him, but he does not know them well enough to consider them as possible friends and close acquaintances, not just classmates and friendly strangers.

The person asking is Lahiffe. He was quietly saying something towards Agreste. 

The teen looks like he had seen a better day. His hair is a mess, unbefitting of a model. His clothes had wrinkles on them, barely noticeable but for someone who had spent years listening to the irate rants of spoiled heirs and heiresses towards their attire, Umehito sees it clearly. He appears despondent, eyes red and puffy, clearly from crying.

Umehito had never really seen the boy until now, the teen being absent during his four days in school. However, according to his intel, Adrien Agreste is considered sunshine incarnate, so this first impression is rather different.

Agreste says something, waving off Lahiffe. It appears Lahiffe is hesitant but lets the blonde go, only giving him a look of concern.

"Adrien~ You're back!"

Umehito cringed, glad at the fact that his cloak can cover it up. Rossi had quickly latched herself to Agreste and started yapping.

Umehito did note that his talisman no longer burns, the burning a sign that it is actively breaking a curse. Despite this, Umehito can still feel the magic move as Rossi spits out one outrageous story after another.

Interesting.

It appears that Umehito had discovered something about Rossi's magic.

"Who is he?"

Rossi scowls, before giving an eager smile. Umehito admits that she is fast, being able to hide her frown from being noticed.

At least, those that do would think they were seeing things when they see her smiling the next second.

"Umehito Nekozawa, exchange student." Umehito introduced himself, knowing better than to trust Rossi to do it. He walked towards the group, giving a slight bow. "Nice to meet you in person, Agreste- san ."

"Uh, nice to meet you too then." Agreste said. Why was he looking at his ring? 

"Is something wrong?" Umehito feels his stomach churn. There is nothing interesting about his ring, besides it being the Black Cat miraculous. 

Umehito had talked Plagg into changing the camouflaged version of the ring, seeing as how Chat Noir might recognize it.

This means that….

Agreste's eyes were slitted, before he started blinking. Umehito feels his heart drop.

In order to find Chat Noir, he has cast a small spell on the ring that lets Umehito recognize who the former holder is by looking at their eyes after Chat sees his ring.

Kwami, how in the world did the old guardian give the miraculous to two people in the same class?

How did Ladybug and Chat Noir not even realise?

Umehito has too many questions.