Actions

Work Header

Oyasumi, Oyasumi

Chapter 3: Where's That Chime?

Summary:

Yu gets to the end of the shopping district. He's panting in fear and from him running as he leans against his katana from tiredness. "Y..Yosuke..please.." he whimpers out, trying to hear out a voice.

Notes:

Going to be real with ya
I don't like this chapter/how I decided to end stuff
But this was the best I can do so..lmao

Also the shadows are named after their initial persona because I'm lazy lol

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Yu grips his katana tightly, looking around the tv world’s version of the shopping district. He..he checked everywhere else , this was the last area he hasn't checked. But one thing that's weird about this area now is... the lack of any Shadows.

 

There are usually at least some shadows in the area but, now, nothing. Quiet as a mouse..

 

Yu’s brain is constantly running with questions and worry.

 

Where is Yosuke’s shadow he has to be here somehow where is he he can’t fail Yosuke he can’t he can’t he can’t fail him-

 

Yu grip on his weapon tightens as he starts to run though the shopping district. 

 

“Yosuke? Yosuke where are you?!”

 

He knows that this isn’t Yosuke. Yosuke is back at home, asleep, he doesn't know that he is here..but..

 

“Come on, I just want to talk for a bit! Please!!”

 

Yu gets to the end of the shopping district. He's panting in fear and from him running as he leans against his katana from tiredness. "Y..Yosuke..please.." he whimpers out, trying to hear out a voice.

 

But he hears no other voice in this realm.

 

Yu bows his head, letting out a shaky breath, before he stands up straight again, trying to ignore the tears rolling his face. "I..I.." he lets out a weak sob.

 

"I failed him…" He mumbles. "I-I should have noticed the signs earlier, I should have seen..seen any signs , y-yet.."

 

Yu drags himself back to the entrance of the tv world, defeated and broken, not noticing the bright yellow eyes sitting on top of a building.


"...heh." Jiraiya smiles softly as he watches Yu hurry along back to the entrance. "Too easy." he jumps off the small building, walking back to the liquor store. "I knew he wouldn't find me..I mean, why would he even want to? I'm sure he's happy he didn't find me-"

 

"Are you sure about that?"

 

Jiraiya jumps up, looking behind him and getting in a defensive position. It's..it's Izanagi-

 

He's faint. He's transparent as he stares at Jiraiya with a frown on his face. Jiraiya can't help but be in stunned silence, glancing around before looking back at Izanagi. "W..what are you doing-"

 

"I..don't have that much time.." Izanagi mumbles. "He already knows and accepts this part of himself, of feeling like he's failed Yosuke so..I need to make this quick."

 

The other shadow stares at the smaller one, his face turning serious. He cups his face in one hand, as if pained by his flickering form.

 

“You don’t have to run from living.” Jiraiya’s snide smile falters, his lower lip trembling slightly. Without waiting for a response, Izanagi continues. “I’m serious. How long do you expect to keep existing like this?” 

 

Jiraiya lets out a soft growl, gripping Izanagi's wrist tightly and staring at him with an angry look in his eyes.

 

"Don't you see? I don't deserve to love- we don't deserve to live!! W-we both are just fuck ups, f-fuck ups that don't deserve anything good to happen to them-"

 

Izanagi suddenly grips Jiraiya's shoulders tightly. "Why!? Why can't you understand!? Do you think I'm lying everytime I say I want to hang out!? Do you think I'm fooling you!? That I'm crying fake tears right now!?"

 

"B-because I'm not worth the pain! I'm not worth all the trouble, because I'm just fucking trash that is just a fucking nightmare-"

 

"Listen to me for one god danm second!!" Jiraiya stops his small rant, looking up at the other shadow in shock as he lets out a soft sob.

 

"You deserve to be happy, you don't deserve to fucking die!! Why can't you fucking understand that?!" His hands have shifted from being on Jiraiya's shoulders to his cheeks, letting out soft sobs as he does. 

 

"Why don't you recognize that!? Why are you running away!? Stay alive for fuck sake! Let yourself see your own worth! Let me love you! Let the team love you!"

 

Jiraiya stares up at the silver shadow, opening and closing his mouth again in shock. Izanagi can feel himself disappear, and he panics more, bringing the other shadow closer to him.

 

"Please- before I disappear- p-please tell me you understand- t-that you understand that you're worth it, t-that there are people who care about you-"

 

Izanagi gently brings his and Jiraiya's head closer together. "P-promise me you'll come back to Yosuke..y-you can be whole again, you..you can stop suffering.."

 

Izanagi closes his eyes tightly, ignoring the tears. "P..please..you're..you're worth so much..you deserve to get love..please Yosuke.. "

 

Jiraya tries to grip onto the other shadow's hand, but by the time he tries to, he's already gone.  

He just stares blankly at the place where the other shadow was, tears rolling down his face while Izanagi's words echo through his mind. He lets out a sob, falling to his knees.

 

"...m..maybe he's right..."

 

The shadow just smiles, trying to wipe the tears falling down his face. "H-he's...he's right...I..." he closes his eyes, laughing at himself slightly, feeling himself disappear. "I..I understand now.."

 

Jiraiya looks at where Izanagi was, blinking tears from his eyes, before sighing, letting himself fade away.


Yu practically drags himself back to his house. He's trying to hold back frustrated tears as he opens the door, making sure to make no noise as he closes the door and rush towards his bedroom where-

 

"You're back."

 

Yu freezes, looking over at the futon to see Yosuke, sitting up straight with his arms crossed, his arms holding the jacket Yu have put in his arms before he left. His face is filled with worry as he wipes at his eyes angrily.

 

"I-I Y-yosuke-!" 

 

"A..after I was an idiot..Y-you go and do the same thing?!" 

 

Yu winces. "I..I wanted to try..a-and talk to your Shadow.."

 

Yosuke pauses hid small ramble, staring at Yu with a confused and worried face.

 

All that's going though Yu's head is I failed him I didn't do what I wanted to do god how the fuck can I mess up this badly god dammit Narukami-

 

Yosuke takes one look at Yu's almost defeated face. He shifts on the bed almost uncomfortably, looking down at the floor.

 

"..I don't..hear him anymore.."

 

Yu blinks in confusion, looking at Yosuke with wide eyes and a shocked face. "W..what?"

 

"I-I..I can't hear him anymore..I feel..relief, almost, I feel..better than I have in months.."

 

Yu almost runs to the bed, grabbing onto Yosuke's hands excitedly. "R-really!?" He says with relief, a long held back tear starting to roll down his face. "Are you- You're not just going to disappear on me right!?"

 

Yosuke's taken aback from the sudden yelling from Yu, getting into a defensive position, before he lets his body relax as Yu grabs onto his hands. "Y-yea i..I don't think I'll disappear on you again.."

 

Yu blankly stares at Yosuke for a few seconds, and before Yosuke can ask if he's ok, Yu practically engulfs Yosuke in a hug, burying his face on the Magician's shoulder.

 

Yosuke hugs back almost instantly. Yosuke says nothing as he feels tears on his shoulder and hears the quiet sobs of the leader. He simply holds Yu close, leaning back slightly on the wall to get more comfortable while he comforts Yu, a few tears escaping his own eyes.

 

They are there for what feels like hours. Just quietly holding each other close, Yu pulls back a bit, but he doesn't let go of Yosuke.

 

"U..uh.." Yosuke looks at Yu's arms, then back at Yu. Yu sheepishly looks away. "I..I'm afraid that if I let go of you, y-you'll just.." he pauses. "..that you'll somehow vanish again..just..gone. E-even though I know everything is over, I'm..I'm afraid.."

 

Yosuke is silent for a moment, and Yu is worried that he must have said something bad, before Yosuke cracks a huge smile on his face and gives off a small laugh, before bursting out into full blown laughing, covering his mouth with his hand to hide the laughs.

 

Yu looks at Yosuke, confusion going through him, before Yosuke looks up at Yu with the most genuine smile he has ever given in months while having tears in his eyes.

 

"T-that's so cheesy man.."

 

Yu relaxes, and he puts on the most serious look he can manage on his face. "Don't care, it's true."

 

This just causes Yosuke to laugh more, and after a bit, Yu joins him in the laughing fit. They both just lean against each other while they laugh, and Yosuke feels like a weight has been lifted off of him.

 

This feels nice, laughing in his best friends room with his best friend, both of them just being filled with joy and being carefree..

 

He likes this feeling.

Notes:

I..hope you enjoyed how it ended?

It's probably like..bad

But

Lmao

Notes:

Thank you for reading!

If you want to talk/interact with me, my Twitter is @y0w0suke 🧡