Actions

Work Header

Fantastic Wizards and Where to Find Them

Chapter 20: 20

Summary:

Jisung sits on Jaemin’s back porch.

He’s taking a minute of silence, away from all of the craziness that is seven boys living together in one small apartment.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

They turn Johnny in to the American Ministry of Magic. 

 

They decide not to bring him back to London, considering he was operating in America and the London Ministry is still in shambles. Renjun ends up still having to deal with his department back home. He spends about two days writing constant letters and talking to his colleagues through the fireplace, trying to catch those who were a part of the gang, or were involved with the black market. 

 

Jeno steps up while they’re chatting with the American Ministress of Magic and tells her about his experience at Azkaban. She signs a policy immediately, prohibiting the use of unforgivable curses on prisoners. In addition, she agrees to look into freeing those muggleborn and half-blood unlawfully jailed. 

 

They finally head home after that. Exhausted, bloody, and definitely a little traumatized. 

 

They all stay together at Jaemin’s apartment, no one wanting to be apart. At times, Jisung forgets he isn’t the only one who’s missed his friends. He’s been so focused on his journey that it slips his mind that they all miss each other equally as much. 

 

Jisung’s just the only one stupid enough to go on a wild goose chase to try to find them. But it worked, somehow. 

 

Jisung’s ankle and arm heal up nicely, thanks to lots of potions from Jeno. Things are looking up. 

 

But not everything is sunshine and rainbows. Mark and Donghyuck are both devastated by Johnny’s betrayal, Mark more than anyone. 

 

To the point where, after about five days, Jisung realizes Mark has been avoiding him. 

 

Chenle noticed first. He pulled Jisung aside and asked why Mark was avoiding him. Jisung didn’t have an answer. 

 

Renjun must’ve noticed, too, because he sits them all down in the living room, and announces that it’s time for a talk. 

 

“It’s been a week,” Renjun begins, “and we haven’t talked about what happened. Mark, I’m sure you have a lot on your mind.” 

 

They’re curled up across two couches, Renjun in Jeno’s lap while Jaemin sits on the floor between their legs, his head resting on Renjun’s thigh. Mark and Donghyuck are on the other side of the couch, curled together, while Chenle and Jisung sit on the smaller couch. 

 

Mark sighs. 

 

“Jisung, why didn’t you tell us?” is Mark’s first question. 

 

Jisung shifts uncomfortably. “He said he’d kill you guys,” he answers truthfully. Mark’s eyes widen. 

 

“Even me?” 

 

Jisung gulps. “He said he already did kill you.” 

 

Mark pales with realization. Next to him, Donghyuck’s jaw drops. 

 

“You’re telling me he was the reason I lost Mark? And thought he was dead?” 

 

Jisung can only nod. 

 

Donghyuck frowns. He looks reasonably upset. 

 

Mark isn’t done, though. 

 

“He really said he’d kill me?” Mark asks, his resolve beginning to crack. 

 

Jisung nods. 

 

Mark takes a deep breath, closing his eyes briefly. Jisung can see his hands are shaking. 

 

“Why did you two duel?” Mark asks. 

 

Jisung is confused at first, before he remembers Mark had been chained to the wall during the entirety of their fight, and therefore missed hearing the reasoning behind it. 

 

“I suggested it,” Jisung says. 

 

“Which was fucking stupid,” Chenle grumbles. He slips an arm around Jisung, holding him tight. “It’s a literal miracle you weren’t killed, a magical miracle.” Jisung rests his head on Chenle’s shoulder. 

 

Jisung wants to argue, but then he remembers he only learned wandless magic thanks to Taeyong, and Taeyong is definitely a miracle. Jisung doesn’t know what he would’ve done if Taeyong hadn’t found him that morning at the grave. 

 

“The terms were simple—” He’s cut off again. 

 

“If Jisung won, Johnny went to jail and we all went free, but if Johnny won, we would have to flee the country, and Johnny got to kill Jisung,” Chenle says, tone bitter. Jisung winces, hoping Mark knows that his tone is directed at Johnny, not him. 

 

Mark’s jaw drops. 

 

“Did he try to kill you?” he asks. 

 

“Yes, multiple times.” Chenle speaks for him again. 

 

“Huh.” Mark slumps against Donghyuck’s side. He looks devastated. 

 

“I’m sorry, hyung,” Jisung says. Tears well in his eyes at the sight of Mark so distressed. 

 

“I don’t blame you, Jisung.”

 

“But it’s my fault! I found out, I caused all of this, I kickstarted everything.” 

 

“Jisung, if you hadn’t found out and stepped in when you did, we all would’ve died,” Renjun says firmly. 

 

“Except I would’ve been with you guys in the first place if I never found out. It’s my f—” 

 

He’s cut off by Mark standing and pulling him into a hug. 

 

Jisung stiffens before relaxing in Mark’s hold, resting his chin on Mark’s shoulder. 

 

“You weren’t the bad guy, Sungie, it isn’t your fault,” Mark whispers, just to him. “And now we know the truth.” Mark pulls back, squeezing Jisung’s upper arms instead. 

 

“In the end you saved us,” Donghyuck pipes up. 

 

“Yeah, Jisung, how did you do that?” Jaemin asks. 

 

Jisung smiles at the thought of Taeyong. He takes time to recount every detail of their time together. His breakdown in the night and Taeyong’s tips, the pancakes and the gardening, the long conversation he had with the mushroom. He tells them about the wandless magic, Taeyong’s teachings. Finally, he tells them about his promise. 

 

“He made me promise to stay alive,” Jisung says, smiling. “He told me to disapparate if someone shot the killing curse, that’s why I ended up on the loft, even if that backfired.” 

 

Chenle hums. “I like this guy, I should’ve made you promise that.” 

 

“We’re glad you met him, Jisung.” Jaemin smiles at him gently. “It sounds like he came just when you needed him.”  

 

“He told me he wants to meet you all, we’ll have to go once we’ve rested.” 

 

“We’d love to,” Renjun says softly. 

 

* * *

 

Jisung sits on Jaemin’s back porch. 

 

He’s taking a minute of silence, away from all of the craziness that is seven boys living together in one small apartment. 

 

He’s reminiscing about their Hogwarts days, when they’d all sneak out to meet each other after hours, and go have picnics on the astronomy tour, under the vast night sky. 

 

He misses those days, but he doesn’t have to reminisce any more. He can have them now. They’re all back. 

 

Jisung is scared he’ll lose them again, but he knows if he did, he would find them. 

 

That doesn’t stop the anxiety and the fear. Jisung will need time to heal from that. He still has regular nightmares. Being cornered, Johnny’s hand against his neck, his friends dying over and over, and Jisung being helpless to save them. Most nights he wakes up crying, sometimes screaming. Chenle always holds him, whispering quietly, promising not to leave. 

 

He closes his eyes, resting his cheek on his knee. Right now, they’re all safe. 

 

“Jisung?” A tiny voice says from behind him, and he hears the sliding door crack open. 

 

Jisung turns, making eye contact with Penny. 

 

“Hi, Penny,” he says softly. 

 

“May I join you?”

 

Jisung nods. 

 

Penny steps outside, closing the door behind her. 

 

“I don’t think Renjun likes Penny very much,” she says, sitting next to him. She mimics his position, bringing her knees up to her chest. 

 

Jisung laughs lightly, remembering Renjun’s reaction when he found out Jisung had gotten them a house elf while they were gone. 

 

Renjun screamed, a very high-pitched scream. Then he promptly whipped out his wand and threatened to curse Jisung into next week if he didn’t explain. Luckily for both Jisung and Penny, Jisung’s sob story of feeling lonely and not wanting Penny to be lonely was convincing enough, and Renjun begrudgingly put his wand away. 

 

His reaction was in stark contrast to Jaemin’s, who immediately cooed and introduced himself. 

 

“He’ll come around, don’t worry. He seems scary, but really he’s a big softie.” 

 

Penny just nods, rocking back and forth. 

 

“Jaemin is nice,” she says. 

 

Jisung hums. “He is.” 

 

“Chenle is still Penny’s favorite,” Penny mumbles, eliciting a laugh from Jisung. 

 

“He’s mine, too.” 

 

“Did you find everyone you were looking for?” Penny questions. 

 

A smile grows on his face. 

 

“I did, I found all of them.” 

 

“That’s good. Was it dangerous?” She looks up at him curiously. 

 

“It was,” he starts. 

 

He’s cut off by the screen door opening. 

 

“Hey, cutie, hey, Penny, it’s dinner time.” Chenle appears in the doorway, a smile on his face and his hair messed up, flopped to the side. Jaemin was probably bothering him again.

 

Chenle steps away, leaving the door open. 

 

“But it was worth it.” He looks at Penny. She’s staring at him with wide eyes. 

 

“I found my family.” 

 

Jisung is at peace. 

 

* * *



Dear Taeyong hyung, 

I hope this letter finds you well. I did it. I defeated him. It was a stroke of luck, really. My wand was shattered by his spell, and he wasn’t expecting me to disarm him without my wand. But I did. Then I started crying after Chenle hugged me. Haha. Hyung, thank you. You helped me out so much, and I don’t think I would’ve been able to do it had you not found me by that graveyard. We’ll visit soon for sure. Chenle’s going to love you, I know it. He already does, ever since I mentioned you made me promise to stay alive. Thanks for that, by the way.

I have a lot of healing to do, for sure, and I might need to have another conversation with your mushroom. I still freak out when Chenle wakes up before me, and he isn’t there when I wake up. I also still freak out when anyone corners me, or I feel trapped. It’s scary, but I told Chenle the technique you taught me and he’s been helping me calm down. Jeno also can do that calming magic you can, with his wand. Penny can do it with her hand. They’re helping me out, a lot, and it is kinda overbearing and annoying sometimes, but I don’t blame them. 

I’m no longer alone. I never really was alone, like you said, but I felt alone. I’m finally at peace, hyung. We made it. We’re all safe, we’re all sound. I have you, I have Chenle and Penny. In my heart I have my parents.

I’m happy. 

Lots of love! We’ll visit soon, 

            Jisung

 

P.S. Tell Noodle I say hi

Notes:

AHHH oh my goodness!!!!! we've finally reached the end ;-; This is so emotional for me, as it's my first chaptered fic and it's finally over after 20 long weeks.

Thank you so much to everyone who has followed this fic and supported me throughout it. I love you all so much and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read this fic! I hope you all enjoyed~

Love, Fran

 

twt
tumblr
cc