Actions

Work Header

A Queen Is Born

Summary:

The rise of Wang Seol from the firstborn of King Gwangjong to the first Queen Regnant of Goryeo.

(Can be considered a sequel to 'An Ode to Motherhood')

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Chapter Text

 

THE BEGINNING

 

It is only two months after she is born, does Seol’s father first see her.

The 4th King of Goryeo is already hysterical and heartbroken over the death of his beloved when he finds out why she left the palace, why she left him. And when he sees the little infant in the cradle, he falls to the ground, completely breaking down.

He had ignored all of Hae Soo’s letters in foolish jealousy and she, the love of all his lives, she had died thinking that he hated her, she had died in another man’s arms, longing and waiting for him to come for her.

The 13th and 14th Princes watch their eldest living brother shatter at the sight of the little girl while shedding tears of their own at the demise of their dear friend.

Wang So pulls himself together enough to reach his daughter’s cradle and looks at his daughter, and it is only now that he understands why she wanted to leave the palace, why she wanted to leave him. It was to protect her.

The King of Goryeo’s body shakes with sobs as anguish washes over him. “What is her name?” He croaks out, his voice hoarse as he miserably fails to control his tears.

“Seol, she named her Seol..” The 14th Prince utters amidst his own tears. He hesitantly pulls out a letter from his hanbok and gives it to his elder brother, who takes it with trembling hands.

My Love,

If you are reading this letter, then it means that I am no longer beside you, no longer in the world of the living. I hope when I took my final breath, it was in your arms. I’m sorry, I am so sorry that I left you all alone in the palace. I wanted to protect our child. Yes my love, we have a child. A daughter. I have named her Seol, for the first snow. Yeon Hwa and the Hwangbos would have tried to kill her and I could not let that happen.

I love you and you alone. I did and said whatever I did to protect our daughter, so that you would let me leave the palace. You are the ruler of my heart. My king, it is only you that I love, not Wook, not Jung not anyone else, only you. Always remember that.

I hope you will take care of Seol in my absence.

Forever yours,

Soo

The King is completely broken and the only thing holding him back from going berserk is the sight of his firstborn in her cradle.

His brothers watch on in concern as their elder brother locks himself in his daughter’s room. Only coming out when the baby has to be fed. The 14th Prince honors Hae Soo’s last wish and begins to support his brother.

“You and your brother are not quite different.” Hae Soo had once told the 14th Prince and he cannot help but heed her words and take care of the King.

A decree is sent to the capital that Queen Daemok is to leave Songak and move to the southern palace. The Hwangbo Queen throws a huge tantrum in the palace, but in the end is forced to leave, despite being 6 months pregnant.

King Gwangjong buries himself in taking care of his daughter, the last piece of his beloved left in this world. His beautiful daughter who has her mother’s snow-white skin, her mother’s dark brown hair, her mother’s button nose. Wang So relished in these small details. Seol is his daughter, she is Soo’s daughter, she is their daughter.

3 months pass and Queen Daemok gives birth to a son, a son the King does not even bother naming or seeing.

King Gwangjong turns to look at his 14th brother, “I, King Gwangjong, reinstate, you, Sacred Prince Wang Jung, to all of your previous titles and rename you Grand General of Goryeo.” The 13th Prince’s eyes widen in surprise and the 14th Prince bows in gratitude and at the king’s words.

“To reward you for the service you have done for the Royal Wang Clan of Songak, my firstborn, the Royal Princess Wang Seol will be given to you as a ward. As such, I ask of you to move back to Songak.” His voice is pained as he says this and the 13th and 14th brothers are shocked that their brother uttered these words.

‘He is honoring Hae Soo’s words’ both of them realize. Hae Soo did not wish for her daughter to go to the palace, she wanted her daughter to be free, and this was Wang So honoring her wishes.

The little princess is only 5 months old when the king returns to Songak with his brothers in tow. All of Goryeo is surprised by the news of the reinstatement of 14th Prince Wang Jung and is even more surprised at the announcement of King Gwangjong’s first marriage.

King Gwangjong’s decree states that he was wed to the Lady Hae Soo of the Hoengseong Hae Clan in secret during the last year of the King Hyejong’s reign. 13th Prince Wang Anjong and 14th Prince Wang Jung agree to his claims and say that they were the witnesses to the wedding between the two. The Lady Wang Seol is given the title of the 1st Princess of Goryeo and the Lady Hae Soo is given the title 1st Queen Consort Gwangmyeong. Queen Daemok is demoted to 3rd Queen Consort.

Queen Daemok sends letter after letter to the king, expressing her disapproval but the king only laughs at her ridiculousness and burns all the letters she sends. The Hwangbo Queen rages in the Southern Palace, helpless as the king continues to weaken her power.

Princess Consort Gyeong Hwa is brought back to Songak and is crowned 2nd Queen Consort Gyeonghwagung. The Naju Oh clan and the Jincheon Im clan thank the king greatly for bringing back their Queen.

Princess Seol grows in her uncle’s compound in Songak, her giggles and laughter fill the walls of the residence. The 13th Prince brings his 4-year-old daughter, Princess Gyeon Bok Soon and they spend almost all their time in the company of each other. (Hubaekje Princess Woo Hee is declared Royal Consort Gyeon of the 13th Prince after her death, the Hubaekje citizens rejoice in the news of their princess’ daughter.)

 


 

Princess Wang Seol’s favorite person is her father, that much was obvious ever since the beginning. Her laughs were the loudest when her father was the one holding her, her small eyes would crinkle into half crescents just like her father’s do whenever he would say something comical.

She is King Gwangjong’s precious daughter, she is his only joy in all of Goryeo.

Their bond is something all of Goryeo watches on in awe. King Taejo never showed his love for his children so publicly, even if it was the crown prince.

King Gwangjong pampers his daughter and ignores his son, and all of Goryeo knows why.

“Queen Gwangmyeong” the nation whispers. It is because the Princess Seol is the daughter of the 1st Queen, that the king showers all his love and attention on her. It is because the Prince Ju is the son of the 3rd Queen, that the king has not even bothered to see the boy since he was born.

She spends her childhood running around the gardens around Lake Dongji, listening to tales of her mother from her uncles and father, and learning about the things her mother used to do in the Damiwon Palace.

Perhaps it was a want to be near her deceased mother in some way other than the letters and journals her mother had written for her, Princess Seol started making bathing aids in the Damiwon, in the way her mother used to, years ago. The court ladies take care of the princess fondly, in remembrance of the kind court lady whom they all served under, years ago.

When she is not playing in the gardens or running around in the Damiwon, she takes lessons with her cousin sister. Unlike the older girl, Seol enjoys these lessons. She listens intently as the teacher explains in detail about the different clans of Goryeo, where they trace their ancestry, who are descendants of royal bloodlines.

“The Princess has a thirst for knowledge, Pyeha. It would do well to quench it.” Her teacher tells her father when she is 8. King Gwangjong smiles at his daughter in pride when he hears this news and orders for a new tutor to be brought for his daughter.

“You pamper her too much, hyungnim.” The 14th halfheartedly complains to his elder brother later on when he finds out that the king commissioned 20 new hanboks and jewelry to go with them for Seol.

Wang So smiles at his daughter fondly and replies, “My darling daughter deserves the world.”

The 14th Prince understands what his elder brother means, what he is trying to do. He is giving Soo’s daughter everything he could not give Soo. Had she been alive, they would have had a huge family, no doubt. It is obvious that his brother loves his child, he sees how he takes care of her, in a way their father and mother did not take care of him.

Wang Jung sighs as he watches the king carry his daughter on his shoulders. As long as Hae Soo’s daughter is safe and happy, he is content.

 


 

Seol is 9 when she sees her father practice sword fighting. She watches on with excitement as his father swings sword and parries the strikes of her Uncle Jung. Both the royal men fight for a long time, but it is obvious the King is far better than the 14th Prince. It is the king who ends their fight when he moves his sword under the 14th Prince’s feet and the prince stumbles and falls down, exhaustion finally hitting him.

Her eyes widen in excitement as she claps her hands continuously, both the men turn to look at the source of the sound and identical smiles of fatherly affection form on both their faces at the sight of the young princess.

King Gwangjong helps the 14th Prince stand up and the full brothers walk to the princess.

“Did you enjoy that?” The 14th Prince asked her kindly. Wang Seol nodded excitedly, she turned to look at her father, “Abeoji, can I also learn how to fight?” the princess asked.

Wang So frowned before bending down to look at his daughter directly, “Seol-ah, you could get hurt. Perhaps you could learn how to use bow and arrows?”

Seol frowned, her frown near identical to the one the king sported, “But abeoji, I do not want to learn how to use a bow. I wish to learn how to fight with a sword. Please let me. I promise to be careful.” She pleaded, her small eyes widening and her bow shaped lips quivering.

“Alright, alright, you can have classes on how to use a sword. The 10th Princess did know to use one too, it is acceptable. I will find you a proper tutor.” The King finally told, seeing his daughter look sad. Wang Seol immediately brightened up and hugged her father tightly, “Thank you abeoji!”

The King chuckled at his daughter’s adorable antics.

Soon, along with her education, her martial arts and sword fighting lessons also began. The 14th Prince initially had expected her to give up, after seeing how the princess cried an entire night because her arms were paining. He watched on as the king desperately tried to sooth his daughter’s pain.

But to his surprise and the king’s pride, the little princess got up the next day morning and got ready for her lessons.

“You are going to continue with your lessons, Seol-ah?” He asked her when he saw her getting ready. She firmly nodded, “I refuse to back down, I was the one who asked for the lessons so I will brave through them.”

King Gwangjong looked at his daughter fondly and nodded in agreement before adding on, “Be careful today alright?”

She looked at her father brightly before nodding and rushing out of the 14th Prince’s residence. Her personal court lady waiting to take her to the palace.

Hyungnim I know you do not believe in fate but…”

“Everything happens for a reason Jung-ah. I will not stop her from doing anything she wishes to do.”

The brothers looked at each other as Choi Ji Mong’s words echoed in their mind.

“The Princess….she is born with the star of a queen.”