Actions

Work Header

A Queen Is Born

Summary:

The rise of Wang Seol from the firstborn of King Gwangjong to the first Queen Regnant of Goryeo.

(Can be considered a sequel to 'An Ode to Motherhood')

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Chapter Text

 

THE BEGINNING

 

It is only two months after she is born, does Seol’s father first see her.

The 4th King of Goryeo is already hysterical and heartbroken over the death of his beloved when he finds out why she left the palace, why she left him. And when he sees the little infant in the cradle, he falls to the ground, completely breaking down.

He had ignored all of Hae Soo’s letters in foolish jealousy and she, the love of all his lives, she had died thinking that he hated her, she had died in another man’s arms, longing and waiting for him to come for her.

The 13th and 14th Princes watch their eldest living brother shatter at the sight of the little girl while shedding tears of their own at the demise of their dear friend.

Wang So pulls himself together enough to reach his daughter’s cradle and looks at his daughter, and it is only now that he understands why she wanted to leave the palace, why she wanted to leave him. It was to protect her.

The King of Goryeo’s body shakes with sobs as anguish washes over him. “What is her name?” He croaks out, his voice hoarse as he miserably fails to control his tears.

“Seol, she named her Seol..” The 14th Prince utters amidst his own tears. He hesitantly pulls out a letter from his hanbok and gives it to his elder brother, who takes it with trembling hands.

My Love,

If you are reading this letter, then it means that I am no longer beside you, no longer in the world of the living. I hope when I took my final breath, it was in your arms. I’m sorry, I am so sorry that I left you all alone in the palace. I wanted to protect our child. Yes my love, we have a child. A daughter. I have named her Seol, for the first snow. Yeon Hwa and the Hwangbos would have tried to kill her and I could not let that happen.

I love you and you alone. I did and said whatever I did to protect our daughter, so that you would let me leave the palace. You are the ruler of my heart. My king, it is only you that I love, not Wook, not Jung not anyone else, only you. Always remember that.

I hope you will take care of Seol in my absence.

Forever yours,

Soo

The King is completely broken and the only thing holding him back from going berserk is the sight of his firstborn in her cradle.

His brothers watch on in concern as their elder brother locks himself in his daughter’s room. Only coming out when the baby has to be fed. The 14th Prince honors Hae Soo’s last wish and begins to support his brother.

“You and your brother are not quite different.” Hae Soo had once told the 14th Prince and he cannot help but heed her words and take care of the King.

A decree is sent to the capital that Queen Daemok is to leave Songak and move to the southern palace. The Hwangbo Queen throws a huge tantrum in the palace, but in the end is forced to leave, despite being 6 months pregnant.

King Gwangjong buries himself in taking care of his daughter, the last piece of his beloved left in this world. His beautiful daughter who has her mother’s snow-white skin, her mother’s dark brown hair, her mother’s button nose. Wang So relished in these small details. Seol is his daughter, she is Soo’s daughter, she is their daughter.

3 months pass and Queen Daemok gives birth to a son, a son the King does not even bother naming or seeing.

King Gwangjong turns to look at his 14th brother, “I, King Gwangjong, reinstate, you, Sacred Prince Wang Jung, to all of your previous titles and rename you Grand General of Goryeo.” The 13th Prince’s eyes widen in surprise and the 14th Prince bows in gratitude and at the king’s words.

“To reward you for the service you have done for the Royal Wang Clan of Songak, my firstborn, the Royal Princess Wang Seol will be given to you as a ward. As such, I ask of you to move back to Songak.” His voice is pained as he says this and the 13th and 14th brothers are shocked that their brother uttered these words.

‘He is honoring Hae Soo’s words’ both of them realize. Hae Soo did not wish for her daughter to go to the palace, she wanted her daughter to be free, and this was Wang So honoring her wishes.

The little princess is only 5 months old when the king returns to Songak with his brothers in tow. All of Goryeo is surprised by the news of the reinstatement of 14th Prince Wang Jung and is even more surprised at the announcement of King Gwangjong’s first marriage.

King Gwangjong’s decree states that he was wed to the Lady Hae Soo of the Hoengseong Hae Clan in secret during the last year of the King Hyejong’s reign. 13th Prince Wang Anjong and 14th Prince Wang Jung agree to his claims and say that they were the witnesses to the wedding between the two. The Lady Wang Seol is given the title of the 1st Princess of Goryeo and the Lady Hae Soo is given the title 1st Queen Consort Gwangmyeong. Queen Daemok is demoted to 3rd Queen Consort.

Queen Daemok sends letter after letter to the king, expressing her disapproval but the king only laughs at her ridiculousness and burns all the letters she sends. The Hwangbo Queen rages in the Southern Palace, helpless as the king continues to weaken her power.

Princess Consort Gyeong Hwa is brought back to Songak and is crowned 2nd Queen Consort Gyeonghwagung. The Naju Oh clan and the Jincheon Im clan thank the king greatly for bringing back their Queen.

Princess Seol grows in her uncle’s compound in Songak, her giggles and laughter fill the walls of the residence. The 13th Prince brings his 4-year-old daughter, Princess Gyeon Bok Soon and they spend almost all their time in the company of each other. (Hubaekje Princess Woo Hee is declared Royal Consort Gyeon of the 13th Prince after her death, the Hubaekje citizens rejoice in the news of their princess’ daughter.)

 


 

Princess Wang Seol’s favorite person is her father, that much was obvious ever since the beginning. Her laughs were the loudest when her father was the one holding her, her small eyes would crinkle into half crescents just like her father’s do whenever he would say something comical.

She is King Gwangjong’s precious daughter, she is his only joy in all of Goryeo.

Their bond is something all of Goryeo watches on in awe. King Taejo never showed his love for his children so publicly, even if it was the crown prince.

King Gwangjong pampers his daughter and ignores his son, and all of Goryeo knows why.

“Queen Gwangmyeong” the nation whispers. It is because the Princess Seol is the daughter of the 1st Queen, that the king showers all his love and attention on her. It is because the Prince Ju is the son of the 3rd Queen, that the king has not even bothered to see the boy since he was born.

She spends her childhood running around the gardens around Lake Dongji, listening to tales of her mother from her uncles and father, and learning about the things her mother used to do in the Damiwon Palace.

Perhaps it was a want to be near her deceased mother in some way other than the letters and journals her mother had written for her, Princess Seol started making bathing aids in the Damiwon, in the way her mother used to, years ago. The court ladies take care of the princess fondly, in remembrance of the kind court lady whom they all served under, years ago.

When she is not playing in the gardens or running around in the Damiwon, she takes lessons with her cousin sister. Unlike the older girl, Seol enjoys these lessons. She listens intently as the teacher explains in detail about the different clans of Goryeo, where they trace their ancestry, who are descendants of royal bloodlines.

“The Princess has a thirst for knowledge, Pyeha. It would do well to quench it.” Her teacher tells her father when she is 8. King Gwangjong smiles at his daughter in pride when he hears this news and orders for a new tutor to be brought for his daughter.

“You pamper her too much, hyungnim.” The 14th halfheartedly complains to his elder brother later on when he finds out that the king commissioned 20 new hanboks and jewelry to go with them for Seol.

Wang So smiles at his daughter fondly and replies, “My darling daughter deserves the world.”

The 14th Prince understands what his elder brother means, what he is trying to do. He is giving Soo’s daughter everything he could not give Soo. Had she been alive, they would have had a huge family, no doubt. It is obvious that his brother loves his child, he sees how he takes care of her, in a way their father and mother did not take care of him.

Wang Jung sighs as he watches the king carry his daughter on his shoulders. As long as Hae Soo’s daughter is safe and happy, he is content.

 


 

Seol is 9 when she sees her father practice sword fighting. She watches on with excitement as his father swings sword and parries the strikes of her Uncle Jung. Both the royal men fight for a long time, but it is obvious the King is far better than the 14th Prince. It is the king who ends their fight when he moves his sword under the 14th Prince’s feet and the prince stumbles and falls down, exhaustion finally hitting him.

Her eyes widen in excitement as she claps her hands continuously, both the men turn to look at the source of the sound and identical smiles of fatherly affection form on both their faces at the sight of the young princess.

King Gwangjong helps the 14th Prince stand up and the full brothers walk to the princess.

“Did you enjoy that?” The 14th Prince asked her kindly. Wang Seol nodded excitedly, she turned to look at her father, “Abeoji, can I also learn how to fight?” the princess asked.

Wang So frowned before bending down to look at his daughter directly, “Seol-ah, you could get hurt. Perhaps you could learn how to use bow and arrows?”

Seol frowned, her frown near identical to the one the king sported, “But abeoji, I do not want to learn how to use a bow. I wish to learn how to fight with a sword. Please let me. I promise to be careful.” She pleaded, her small eyes widening and her bow shaped lips quivering.

“Alright, alright, you can have classes on how to use a sword. The 10th Princess did know to use one too, it is acceptable. I will find you a proper tutor.” The King finally told, seeing his daughter look sad. Wang Seol immediately brightened up and hugged her father tightly, “Thank you abeoji!”

The King chuckled at his daughter’s adorable antics.

Soon, along with her education, her martial arts and sword fighting lessons also began. The 14th Prince initially had expected her to give up, after seeing how the princess cried an entire night because her arms were paining. He watched on as the king desperately tried to sooth his daughter’s pain.

But to his surprise and the king’s pride, the little princess got up the next day morning and got ready for her lessons.

“You are going to continue with your lessons, Seol-ah?” He asked her when he saw her getting ready. She firmly nodded, “I refuse to back down, I was the one who asked for the lessons so I will brave through them.”

King Gwangjong looked at his daughter fondly and nodded in agreement before adding on, “Be careful today alright?”

She looked at her father brightly before nodding and rushing out of the 14th Prince’s residence. Her personal court lady waiting to take her to the palace.

Hyungnim I know you do not believe in fate but…”

“Everything happens for a reason Jung-ah. I will not stop her from doing anything she wishes to do.”

The brothers looked at each other as Choi Ji Mong’s words echoed in their mind.

“The Princess….she is born with the star of a queen.”

Chapter 2: The Decision

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

THE DECISION

 

Seol is 10 when she hears that the 3rd Queen Consort is returning to the Capital. She hears rumors of how she is her father’s least favorite wife, that she is the mother of his heir, Prince Ju, who is younger to her by only 5 months.

She knows that Queen Mother Sinjeong has come to court several times over the past 10 years to allow the Queen Consort to return, and after all these years, the Emperor finally allowed it.

What she does not know is that the only reason Emperor Gwangjong is allowing the Queen Consort back is because, for the past 10 years, he has had the Queen isolated at the Southern Palace, so all the allies she had in Songak were gone. Simultaneously, the king reduced the power of the Hwangbo Clan greatly and ensured that the clan lost many of their allies in Goryeo.

Once Seol’s sword lessons were done, she quickly has a bath at the Damiwon and gets changed into clothes fitting her station before rushing to find the 2nd Queen Consort.

“Where are Princess Bok Soon and Queen Gyeonghwagung?” Wang Seol asks one of the passing court ladies.

Mama is at Damiwon Palace, taking tea with Princess Bok Soon.” She informs her. Seol rushes to the tearoom, accidentally ignoring the train of court ladies who were rushing behind her.

She slightly knocked on the paper door and entered. Both the royal women turned to look at the intruder in surprise. The surprise quickly changed to chuckles from both of them when they saw who had entered.

Queen Gyeonghwagung smiles at the princess fondly before teasing, “I was just waiting for you to enter.” Seol grinned at the Queen before bowing to her and smiling at Princess Bok Soon. “As usual, Seol-ah knows how to make her entries.” Seol pouts at both the women and seats herself on the empty seat beside both the beautiful women.

At the young age of 22, the 2nd Queen Consort looks stunning, her wheatish skin glowing and her small eyes sparkling. The Queen’s eyes resemble that of the youngest princess, except the Queen’s eyes were slightly bigger.

“I wanted to ask you ever since I heard the news. What kind of person is Queen Daemok?” Queen Gyeonghwagung visibly stiffens up at the question, something Seol notices as she continues, “I know that abeoji does not like her, but why?”

The Queen sighs before looking at Princess Bok Soon, “You are both are still young so I am unsure if I should tell you both of this. But then again, I was younger than Seol-ah when I married the King.” She looked at the curious expressions on both their faces. Both the princesses knew that the 2nd Queen was one of the King’s closest confidants, alongside the 13th and 14th Prince.

“Queen Daemok….she and the 8th Prince have been the reason for a lot of strife within the royal family.” She admitted as she glances at both Seol and Bok Soon before continuing, “During the early days of King Gwangjong’s reign, the 8th Prince wanted to weaken the king by removing the Empress and the 13th Prince from Pyeha’s side. He was the reason the 13th Prince was forced to go to the frontline of the revolt of the Hubaekje refugees.” Princess Bok Soon’s face hardens as she listens to the Queen, “Everyone knew the prince had no skill with weapons. Royal Consort Gyeon knew this too, so she sacrificed her life to protect the 13th Prince. For a short while, the 13th Prince did leave the Emperor’s side, but after Hwanghu Mama’s death, he returned to serve the Emperor.”

“The 3rd Queen knew of this?” Bok Soon asks in a strained voice and the Queen only nodded in reply. While Seol was only 2 months when her mother died, Bok Soon has been 4 years old. She remembered her mother singing her lullabies and telling her stories. She had memories of the Royal Consort.

Queen Gyeonghwagung looked at Seol worriedly before admitting, “Pyeha blames Queen Daemok for the Empress’ death. Both Queen Daemok and the 8th Prince played a big part as to why Hwanghu Mama isn’t here today.” Seol turned to look at the 2nd Queen in shock, she could feel rage bubbling within her as she heard what the Queen said.

“What do you mean?” Seol’s voice is barely above a whisper.

“Queen Daemok forced Empress Gwangmyeong to let go of the Emperor by mentioning the safety of his rule. It was because of that, that Empress Gwangmyeong was not officially coronated as Queen. I heard from the court lady who personally served the Empress that Queen Daemok used to threaten the Empress that she would hurt any child she has. It is to protect you, that Empress Gwangmyeong left the palace. It is why your father sent the 3rd Consort away from Songak as soon as he found out about you.”  Queen Gyeonghwagung watches on worriedly as different emotions play across Seol’s young face.  

Seeing the shaken looks on both the princess’s faces, the 2nd Queen poured tea in both their teacups, “It is Chrysanthemum tea, it’ll calm you down.” She comfortingly told both the girls who slowly sipped their tea.

Abeoji and Uncle Baek ah will not know anything about this conversation,” Seol told after a short pause. Princess Bok Soon nodded with her cousin sister.

“That would be wise. But I hope both of you understand why I told you all of this. Queen Daemok and the Hwangbo Clan are not people who you should associate yourselves with. Stay away from them as much as you can.” Queen Gyeonghwagung warned. Despite both the girls being her cousin sisters, the 2nd Queen had always taken care of them with a motherly touch. She would do her best to protect them.

 


 

Empress Gwangmyeong had served as court lady to the royal family for over eight years before her beloved released her from service. But over those eight years, she had made quite a lot of money. She had barely used the amount and left all of it for her daughter in her will.

‘I trust you will use it wisely, Seol-ah’ Seol’s mother had written in the letter for her 9th birthday. While the amount was left for her use, Seol did not feel it right to use her mother’s hard-earned money for trinkets and whatnot. Her father always told her about how Lady Hae Soo believed that everyone was equal and that everyone deserved to live happily. It is with this in mind that Seol begins to donate the money to orphanages and the poorer sections of society, in the name of her mother.

Today is one such day, Bok Soon stands behind her cousin and watches on the girl frets over the poor children of Songak. “I think pink color would suit her well.” Princess Wang Seol comments to one of the tailors who was taking measurements for a little girl. The Princess had brought 2 tailors with her and had already visited two orphanages and ordered hanboks for all them since the new year was approaching.

She turns to Princess Bok Soon and silently tells, “If I forget, please do remind me to distribute grains and blankets amongst the people before the month ends.” Bok Soon nods. She knows her cousin takes all of this seriously. She knows how Princess Seol often visits the Daebi-wons in Songak and ensures that all the patients are treated well. Bok Soon often thought it was a shame that her cousin was born a woman and not a man, she was the perfect heir to the citizens. The people of Songak adored her because of how much she paid attention to all their needs and how she stepped down from her pedestal as the Emperor’s firstborn and took care of her father’s subjects. The people Songak admired the princess who always treated them as equals and was never afraid to get her hanbok dirty in the process of helping out.

Princess Bok Soon knew that Queen Daemok silently seethed at the fact that the Empress’s daughter was well known and loved while her own son was ignored and not even thought of.

“Thank you, Your Highness!” Everyone at the orphanage exclaimed to the Princess, who sweetly smiled in turn.

After everything was done with and both of them were returning to the palace, Bok Soon could not help but make a comment, “You would have made a great king.”

Wang Seol giggled, “Women cannot be king, unnie.”

“Do you think I do not know that you have been reading about Queen Seondeok and Queen Jindeok, they both were Queens on their own right, instead of being Consorts.”  Bok Soon scoffed.

“They did not marry.” Seol reminded the older princess, who raised an eyebrow at that, “You want to get married?”

“I do.”  

Looking at the confusion on her cousin’s face, Seol explained, “I want a family, unnie. A huge family. I want someone to love me the way abeoji loves eomoni. I want all of that.”

 


 

Despite being one of the Queen Consorts, Queen Daemok is not allowed to talk to anyone and if someone wishes to speak to the 3rd Queen Consort, they have to take the king’s permission. The only exception to this rule being the Queen Consort’s own son, Prince Ju.

Seol is 12 when she comes across the 3rd Queen during one of her walks in the palace grounds. Seol and Bok Soon had plans of meeting the 2nd Queen for tea at Damiwon Palace and were walking towards the Damiwon.

“Greetings Queen Daemok.” Princess Bok Soon slightly bows to the Queen according to etiquette. The Queen is above her in status after all. While Princess Bok Soon bows, Princess Seol raises her chin up and only stares at the Queen.

“Do you not know manners? How indecent of you, you have not even paid your respects to me by bowing. It seems you take your mother in that.” Queen Daemok scoffed.

From the corner of her eye, Seol could see the court ladies behind the Queen Consort looking concerned at what the Queen said, worrying over how the Emperor will react to the insult to his beloved.

Seol chuckled before lightly replying, “It seems years away from Songak have caused you to forget the etiquette of the palace, so I shall remind you. You are only a Queen Consort, the 3rd Queen Consort at that. However, I am Goryeo’s Empress and 1st Queen’s daughter, as such, my station is far higher than yours. It should be you who should be bowing to me. How indecent of you.

Queen Daemok’s eyes flashed in anger, “I am to be the Queen Mother of Goryeo one day! My son will be Emperor after Pyeha! How dare you even speak to me that?!”

Seol spoke before even thinking, “Are you certain? Certain that your son will become King of Goryeo?”

“My son is the only male heir Pyeha has, of course he will be King, you-” The 3rd Queen was cut off by the 1st Princess of Goryeo.

“Haven’t you heard of Silla’s Queens. How can you be so certain that your son will be king when I am the Emperor’s firstborn. It seems a bit funny.” Seol smirked. The Queen Consort was slightly shaken by how much the princess looked like her father when she smirked. Fear bloomed within her at the princess’ words.

Everyone present in the courtyard stared at Princess Seol disbelievingly, her words shocking all of them.

Queen Daemok rushed off, a train of court ladies rushing behind her. It was only after the left that Princess Bok Soon spoke, “Do you even realize what you spoke?”

Seol deeply breathed, as though her words just hit her. She looked straight ahead and replied, “Maybe I just spoke out my heart’s wish right now.”

 


 

Emperor Gwangjong stood in a balcony and watched from above as his son tried to use a sword. He turned to the eunuch standing right behind him and asked, “How is Princess Seol and Prince Ju’s education and lessons going on?”

Eunuch perked up and began with a smile, “The Princess takes after you, Pyeha. She is a martial arts prodigy. Despite being only 14 years of age, she fights better than half of the royal guard. Prince Jung is helping her better her skills with a sword and martial arts. She has shown an interest in bow and arrows of late, and often joins Princess Bok Soon in her archery lessons. She excels in her politics lessons, her answers seem to always please and shock her tutor. She brings new ideas and methods to improve the lives of your subjects. These plans are always clearly thought and planned.”

The man takes a breath and stares at the Emperor who is practically glowing in fatherly pride before continuing, “She is well-loved amongst the people of the nation as well. As you know Pyeha, she has been putting the money Hwanghu Mama earned to good use. Every coin she uses is for the people of Goryeo. Even during the trips she takes out of Songak, she makes sure to help the poor and in the need out. She works in the Daebi-wons when she has time.”

“She left Songak 4 times this year, am I right? Seokyeong, Hoengseong, Haeju, and Pyeongju.” Emperor Gwangjong commented and the eunuch nodded, he looked hesitant as though he was unsure if he should say this or not, the Emperor noticing this spoke, “I would like to hear everything.”

The eunuch nervously said, “It is spoken about in not just Songak, but among your subjects all over Goryeo that she would be your perfect successor had she been a man. It is also frequently said that if Princess Woo Hee was the mother of Hubaekje then Princess Seol is the mother of Goryeo.”

A fond smile appeared on Wang So’s face as he wistfully commented, “My daughter is a lot like her mother. She cannot bear to see people suffer. I cannot even begin to express how proud I am of her.” The Emperor had a proud fatherly smile on his face as he heard of his daughter’s feats.

He turned to look at the eunuch and questioned, “And what of Prince Ju?”

The eunuch sighed, as though someone had placed a weight on his shoulder, “The Prince’s martial skills are very lacking. Which came as quite the shock to his tutor because the prince began training at the age of 8. He is lagging behind in his lessons as well because he does not focus on them. It seems as though politics does not come to the prince in ease as it does to the princess. He does not take part in charity like the princess does either, Pyeha.” The Emperor stared at the eunuch in disbelief before turning to look at his son, who was miserably losing in a sword fight with his tutor.

The eunuch could not help but think that the princess would make a far better heir to the king than the prince. Princess Seol would make the perfect Empress.

 


 

Wang So had been searching for his daughter when he ran into Princess Bok Soon who informed him that Seol was in the throne room.

He made his way to the throne room and opened the doors. Princess Seol turned back in slight shock at the presence intruder, but the shock immediately turned to happiness and glee when she saw who was there.

Gwangjong entered the throne room after instructing the eunuchs and the court ladies to remain outside and not follow him in.

“Greetings to you abeoji.” Seol brightly smiled at her father and bowed before hugging him tightly.

The Emperor softly laughed and hugged his daughter. The father and daughter stayed in their embrace for a couple of moments before pulling back.

“How was your trip to Chungju, Seol-ah?” He asked his daughter. She had received an invitation from Lord Yoo and left to visit the lord and the town. The 15-year-old had only returned after 3 weeks.

“It was interesting, abeoji. Lord Yoo kept on going about how I look like his sister, the late Queen Mother. The people there were very sweet and kind too. They recognized me without any announcement being made that I am Princess Wang Seol. I got showered with flowers and sweets from all the citizens. It was a great trip.” She grinned at her father who then mussed her hair up fondly. “I am glad you enjoyed your stay there.” She hummed before slowly turning to look at his throne.

“Why are you staring at the throne? Do you want it?” He jokingly repeated the same question he had once told her mother.

But Seol shocked him with her answer, “Yes. I want it.” Her voice was strong and unwavering, as though she had thought about it a lot before. The Emperor turned to look at his daughter in shock. He could not believe what he heard. Seol without turning to look at her father, spoke, “The world changes when the ruler changes, does it not? Ju-ya, he would not rule well, this I know. Queen Daemok would be practically ruling in his place as the god above the king. All your work as Emperor to help the people and to weaken the nobles would be destroyed. But I know that I can continue your work, abeoji. I have so many plans for Goryeo. For the people. So many ways by how I can improve their lives. So yes, I want the throne.” So could not help but think that his daughter looked Soo in that moment. Her face full of determination, her words carried a tone of strength, as though she believed everything she was saying.

And So knew what she said was correct. His daughter would be a great ruler. He knew how much intellect she possessed. He knew how much the people of Goryeo adored her.

Wang So fondly smiled at his daughter, “Have I ever said no to you Seol-ah?” The princess’ eyes widened in surprise at what her father was saying. “Abeoji….” She whispered. Her father had always encouraged her, no matter what it was that she had wished to do. Whether it be making bathing aids in the Damiwon when she was young or whether it had been taking care of the citizens with her eomoni’s money. Her father’s love and support had always been there to push her ahead. But she never expected this.

“From tomorrow onwards, you will attend court and see how court proceedings go about.”

The Princess’s squeal and the Emperor’s laughter filled the courtroom as the princess hugged her father tightly.

 

Notes:

Many times, when I read books which have a strong female ruler, they always depict the person as someone who could care less about having a family and whatnot, its something I hate and I felt that if Soo and So's daughter is anything like them, she would definitely want a family.

I brought Yeon Hwa back just so that Seol can insult her, You're welcome :)

Also, will you guys continue to read if I make this a 5 chapter fic instead of 3? Cause there's so much I want to add into this.

(PS. Expect an update on Meaningless Without You by the end of today!)

Chapter 3: The Rise

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

THE RISE

 

 

My precious daughter,

Happy 16th Birthday! I hope you spend this day with all your loved ones. Your uncles, cousins, and father. I hope you liked the blue and white hanbok. I stitched it according to my measurements, but I did make it a slight bit loose so you can adjust it if it does not fit you. Blue and white are my favorite colors and I always wanted to dress you up in those colors. What are your favorite colors Seol-ah? I am sorry that I am not there to celebrate it with you.

You know, I was 16 when I first met your father. It was one of the strangest days of my life. You would have read stories about how handsome princes come riding in a horse and whisk their lady love away with them. Funny enough, your father did save me from falling into a stream by carrying me onto horse and soon after, dropped me off the horse. I remember how much my back hurt that day. Your father has come a long way from who he was back then. I asked Jungie-nim to give my diaries to you on your 16th birthday. I hope you have received them. I started writing them when I was 16, it only felt right that you receive them when you turn 16. I asked Jungie-nim not to tell you this because I wanted to protect you from those who would try to harm you, but my heart aches at the bare thought of you not knowing your father. Your father is not the 14th Prince. Your father is the King of Goryeo, King Gwangjong. I understand if you have many questions. I hope my diaries answer your questions. I did not want anyone to read them, so I have written them in a code language. You will find how to translate it on the last page of the second diary. Apart from the diaries, I hope you liked reading your 16th journal.

I was 16 when I met the love of all my lives, I hope you meet the love of your life soon. Your father has always been my greatest joy and support. I wish you meet the one who will always support you and be ready to protect you. I only ask you one thing, and that is not to repeat your mother’s mistakes. Do not let go of your love the way I did, my dear Seol. Take care of yourself, eat properly and sleep properly.

Lots of love,

Eomma

A teardrop falls from her eyes on the letter. She could see how the ink was slightly smudged in certain areas of the letter, as though her eomma was crying when she was writing the letter. This was the 16th letter her mother had written for her. Her mother had written a letter for each of her birthdays and a journal to accompany each letter. Her eomma’s journals and letters were one of the reasons she never felt lonely but deep down, there was always a deep urge to meet the woman behind the words. The woman who had given birth to her, the woman who had given up her own life so Seol could live.

“Why were you crying eomma?” The princess chokes out amidst her own tears. Her uncles and father along with her cousins and brother knew very well not to disturb her on the mornings of her birthday. She always spent that time reading the letter her mother wrote for her and seeing the gift her mother had made for her.

She looks at the white and blue hanbok her mother had stitched for her, peonies embroidered into the chima and the sleeves of the po. Her mother’s birthday gift for her.

“The hanbok fits me eomma. My favorite colors are white and pink. A light shade of pink. I promise I will not let go of the person I love. I promise, eomma. I promise to take care of myself, I eat properly and sleep properly too…. Eomma, I…I miss you…so much..” She breaks down crying after answering all of her mother’s questions and concerns. She misses her so much. Tears pour from her eyes as she thinks of her mother. She wonders if her mother would proud of her, the same way her father is.

It takes her some time but soon Seol calls her attendants and gets dressed in the beautiful hanbok her mother stitched for her. She places the blue and white peony hairpin her father gifted her in her hair and leaves her chamber to greet her uncles and father.

 


 

Court Proceedings was something Seol enjoyed taking part in, unlike her uncles and father who had no patience for the flowery speech of the nobles. But she quite enjoyed it, Seol was patient, she could wait, slowly listen to each and every word of theirs, analyze it and find their weakness. Seol was good at waiting, very good at it.

But this was absolutely ridiculous.

The nobles from the Hwangbo Clan and Ryu Clan along with other smaller clans came to court to protest against the new tax law her father had decided on passing. They refused to listen to the 13th Prince or to the Emperor, despite noticing how upset he was getting. Seol stood to the left of her father and resisted the urge to roll her small eyes.

Princess Wang Seol decided it was best to interrupt the lord before her father loses his temper and began, “Lord Hwangbo, I cannot help but feel that it is very disrespectful for members of your clan to speak against the policies of the Emperor of Goryeo when the Hwangju Hwangbo clan cannot even fix problems within their own clan.” A silence overcame the room as all eyes rested on her.

After giving a short but meaningful pause, the princess continued, “Forgive me if I sound a bit rude but a prince who committed treason and a Queen who tried to poison the Emperor’s first consort. Not to mention, 3rd Queen Daemok refused to stand by her own maternal clan when the question was the life of her traitor brother. I would understand if Pyeha refused to take advice from such a clan.” She shook her head slightly in disapproval before bowing to her father, enjoying the embarrassed flush on the Hwangbo Lord’s face.

The 13th Prince’s eyes sparkled as he picked up where his niece left off, “Indeed, the Grand Princess is only right. If Queen Daemok still holds the title of Queen Consort, it because of the Emperor’s benevolence. I find this to be an insult to the Emperor to question his decision after he has shown your clan such benevolence.” The 13th Prince nodded at her in acknowledgment as she bowed in turn.

Grand Princess, that was the title her father had bestowed upon her after she told him that she wished to be Empress of Goryeo someday. It was a title the King’s favorite daughters were usually given. King Taejo’s daughters Princess Yoo Nakrang and Princess Ryu Mun Hye were given. King Hyejong had given the title to his daughter, the 2nd Queen and her father had bestowed it on her.

Seol noticed the frustrated looks on the Ryu Clan Noble’s faces and decided to chip the argument off before it could even begin, “The Ryu Clan has also-“

“Forgive us Pyeha!” The Ryu Clan leader cut her off and exclaimed, falling to his knees and prostrating himself in front of the Emperor. Lord Hwangbo followed suit, “Indeed Pyeha, we have been foolish and ignored your benevolence.” As all the lords quickly fell to the ground, their heads touching the floor. Identical smirks formed on the Emperor and his daughter’s face at the sight.

 


 

“But why Wansan?!” A 20-year-old Bok Soon complained as she sat on a seat in the center of Seol’s chamber at the palace. She had been planning on shifting to the palace for a quite a while now but did not have the heart to leave her Uncle Jung’s residence, it was the place she had grown up in after all. Her living in the 14th Prince’s residence had not been enough reason for her father to not allocate a chamber for her in the palace and decorate it with the best furniture in all of the East.

Since she was leaving to Wansan for 2 months, she took this as the opportunity to finally pack everything from her old chamber and place it in her chamber at the Princess’ Quarter. Unlike during King Taejo’s reign when the Quarters was filled with over 9 princesses, the Princess’ Quarters currently held only 3 people, 4 if Seol was to be counted. Earlier, Bok Soon along with Princess Hwangbo Heo Hwa and Princess Hwangbo Heon Hye occupied the Quarters.

Both the Hwangbo princesses came to reside in the palace after a lot of requests from the Dowager Queen Sinjeong to the Emperor.

At the moment, court ladies were working in her chamber, some packing hanboks and accessories for her trip to Wansan, and others decorating the chamber with the items she had brought from the 14th Prince’s residence.

Wang Seol sighed and instructed all the court ladies to leave Princess Bok Soon and her alone. Once they all emptied out of her chamber, she began, “The Hwangju Hwangbos and the Wansan Ryus have a strong alliance. While it is true that the 8th Prince is dead, he has three heirs, a son and two daughters. All of whom carry Ryu blood. Despite abeoji weakening the clans, the Ryu clan has enough to place a king on the throne.”

Bok Soon frowned, politics was a subject that she never liked, “So you are leaving to Wansan to control the Ryus?” she asked, not understanding what her cousin was saying.

“Somewhat similar, unnie. The Wansan Yi Clan is equally powerful to the Wansan Ryu Clan. Which is why I am going there, to form an alliance with the former. Something that will severely weaken the Ryu clan.” She told the older woman.

“Marriage?”

“Do not worry unnie, you will get married before I.” Seol teased before she said, “No, not a marriage alliance, but an alliance of convenience. The clan has lost a lot of its power because of the royal marriage between King Taejo and Queen Jeongdeok, and later on Prince Wook and Princess Seo Nui.”

Gyeon Bok Soon hugged her tightly before whispering, “Take care of yourself and take care of the people there, they are Hubaekje citizens.” Seol smiled and nodded at the princess, the emotional moment between the cousins was interrupted by a loud shout, “NU’I!”

Prince Wang Ju barged into her chambers, a pout plastered on his face as he rushed and hugged her, Bok Soon giggled as Ju loudly began to complain, “HOW COULD YOU?! How could you even think of leaving Songak for more than a month without telling me?! Is that how much your little brother means to you, Nu’i?!” Seol laughed heartily and patted her little brother’s back before pulling back and flicking his forehead, he groaned in pain as she shook her head at his antics. “I was just going to visit you for tea at the Damiwon to inform you, but it seems my darling younger brother does not know the meaning of patience and chose to barge in here.”

“What will I do without you Nu’i, there is nothing for me to do in Songak except hear my mother complain about how I am not the perfect heir.” He scrunched his nose up at that before continuing to complain, “I do not even want to be king.”

She gestured for Bok Soon to follow her as the three of them left her chambers, Seol flicked Ju’s ponytail before asking, “And what does my little brother want to do?”

He looked around nervously as they exited the Quarters before whispering, “I want to grow flowers and make jewelry.” His confession took her aback, something which must have reflected on her face as he explained, “I learned how to grow flowers and make jewelry at the Southern Palace. It is not busy like it is here, and no one was there, so I would often learn crafts like that.”

“And you liked that?”

Ju energetically nodded at her, she laughed softly and linked both their arms. While she had inherited her mother’s snow-white skin, he had inherited their father’s tanned gold skin. If all Goryeo did not know that they were siblings, no one would be able to confirm it.

“Perhaps you should talk to abeoji about this.” She comfortingly said but her brother immediately began to violently shake his head in denial. “I am already a disappointment to Pyeha, it would be foolish for me to go and talk to him in regards to this.” Seol could not help but sigh at that, while she had always taken care of her brother ever since she first met him, the relationship between her brother and her father was not as amicable.

After hearing that her mother, the Lady Hae Soo had gone into childbirth a month earlier than the actual date because of the announcement of Queen Daemok’s pregnancy and that the early childbirth was one of the reasons for her death. The Emperor blamed himself and his son with the 3rd Queen. It was why her father had refused to even see the child, let alone name him.

“How about I talk to abeoji for you?” She offered and smiled at the way her younger brother’s eyes sparkled as he thanked her.

Holding Princess Bok Soon’s hand with her free hand, the three walked towards Damiwon Palace.

 


 

Abeoji, I will be leaving for Wansan.” Wang So’s daughter’s voice brought him back to reality. His day had been going awfully bad and he cancelled the rest of court and of all his other commitments so that he could spend the day with Soo and talk to her about how frustrating being king was. He ended up staring at her portrait instead of doing any talking.

So turned to smile at his daughter. Seol was dressed in a simple black and gold hanbok, fit for the almost 2 weeks of riding she had to do to reach Wansan. Seol stepped into the chamber, the chamber which he had gifted to Soo. All the items she had left behind in the palace remained there, the only change to the chamber was the huge portrait of the lady which hung on one of the walls. The Lady Hae Soo looked beautiful in a white jeogri, decorated with light blue floral embroidery and a light blue chima. Her mother looked stunning in the portrait painted by her uncle.

Wang Seol bowed in front of the painting, “I will be leaving for Wonsan now eomoni. I promise I will come back in two months and tell you all about it. Do not worry, I am putting your hard-earned money to good use.” Seol smiled softly at the smiling face of her mother before looking at her father.

“I trust you have everything packed and ready?” The father asked his daughter, who sweetly smiled at him and nodded.

“Before I leave, there is something I would like to ask of you abeoji.” She slowly began. Her father always indulged her, but he always closed off when it came to her younger brother.

“It would be very kind of you if you could talk to Ju-ya once or twice every couple of days. He gets very lonely in the palace.” She asked, the Emperor frowned at what he heard tried to say something but was forced to silence himself when Seol quickly continued, “Queen Daemok only sees him a tool to become Queen Mother and you do not show him any attention as well. Dowager Queen Sinjeong only cares about Prince Wook’s children. He has no one abeoji.”

She gave a small pause before continuing, “He is your son abeoji, please do not blame him for sins he has not even taken part in.” She bowed to her father before hugging him tightly, her father lightly stroked her hair and kissed her head.

“I shall ponder upon it.” Her father replied after a while.

 


 

The climate in Wansan was surprisingly good. It had been 2 weeks since she arrived in Wansan and was still shocked by how much the people of the town adored her.

She decided to spend the day in an orphanage today and had brought along with her a lot of presents and toys to gift the children. She always enjoyed seeing their faces brighten up with joy and excitement at her gifts.

It was when she was talking to the owner of the orphanage did she notice someone else enter the orphanage. Clearly a noble by the looks of his attire. He was quite tall and had broad shoulders, the two giving him a majestic aura.

Seol watched on in surprise as many of the children ran and hugged the lord, and she was even more surprised when he did not push them away as most did and instead carried them in his arms, laughing along with the giggling children.

She nodded at the owner of the orphanage and slowly approached him. It was only when she was a couple of feet near him that he noticed her, he raised his eyebrow in surprise, taking in her hanbok, obviously coming to the conclusion that she was a noble, “I never thought I would see a lady of the gentry in a place such as this.” He commented.

“I never thought I would see a lord of the gentry in a place such as this.” She replied back airily. There was no symbol on his clothes so she could not even identify which clan he was from.

His beautiful eyes sparkled in amusement before saying, “It seems Gongju Mama’s interest in interacting with the citizens of Goryeo has inspired many a noblewoman.” She resisted the urge to laugh, ‘He does not know who I am’ she thought with amusement and decided to play along, “Gongju Mama, Princess Seol is such a great inspiration to women all over Goryeo. I even heard that she is one of the best sword fighters in Goryeo.” She said with a hint of a smile. He nodded in agreement. He lightly chuckled and bowed,

“Apologies for forgetting my manners, I was taken aback by your presence here. I am Lord Yi Ji Hoon.”

 

Notes:

Wansan Yi Clan is actually the Imperial Jeonju Lee Clan of Korea. Wansan was the old name of Jeonju and the clan was initially Yi not Lee, so yeah.

Also, I'd love to talk with y'all and fangirl over moon lovers and other kdramas. So if you want to chat, feel free to DM me at @kdrama_enthusiast_ <3

 

Also, I will not be able to update for the next two weeks as I have to completely rest my right hand. I'm sorry! I promise I'll update all my works two weeks later!

 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Chapter 4: The Heir

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

THE HEIR

 

When she was not having discussions with the Lord Yi and his advisors, she was with the people of Wansan, helping out the commoners with food and clothing, visiting orphanages, and spending time with the children. And at the end of each day, she would go on a walk with Lord Yi’s heir and eldest child, Lord Yi Ji Hoon, who still did not know who she was.

Despite him being 4 years older than her, the two fell into an easy friendship. They both shared an interest in philanthropy, something that was uncommon in Goryeo, but was made popularized by Princess Seol’s many charities work. Their evening walks by riversides were always lively. Ji Hoon often accompanied her to orphanages too. As the days passed by, their walks became longer and longer, and hiding her identity became harder and harder. Her heart fluttered every time he laughed and smiled at her.

Being with Yi Ji Hoon was as easy as breathing and there was a part of her which wished to would spend the rest of her life besides him. Something she did not know how to feel about.

“What are you thinking about?” Lord Ji Hoon asked as they walked alongside the river. She had spent the entirety of today in discussions with Lord Yi, something which completely spoiled her mood and exhausted her.

She turned up to look at the tall man and smiled, “Just tired.”

“If a lady of the nobility says she’s tired, she probably means that her father is forcing her into a marriage, so is that it?” he asked, his eyes filled with concern.

Her tired smile turned into a teasing one as she asked, “Why? Are you jealous?”

The lord in question suddenly stopped and held her hand. She turned to look at him in confusion as he bent downwards to look at her in the eye, “Maybe I am.”

Her eyes slightly widened in surprise and the Yi lord continued, “I like you, Soo Hee-ya.” Since she had not wanted the lord to know who she was, she had told him that her name was Soo Hee, a mix of her mother and aunt’s names.

His arms wrapped themselves around her shoulder and waist, and she could feel his face move closer to her as her eyes closed. The usual flutter in her heart when he was around intensified as she felt her lips meet his. A war could have begun in Goryeo and she could not have cared, the only thing she could focus on was how his lips felt against her own. Seol’s knees weakened and Ji Hoon’s arm around her waist was the only reason she had fallen to the ground.

His hand moved from her shoulder to her cheeks and tenderly caressed her right cheek as the both broke away for air, the couple panting and their chests heaving. His hand at her waist tightened and she could feel him trace her curves as his eyes focused on her swollen lips.

Seol raised herself on her toes and met his lips halfway and the lord did not waste time in draping his arms tightly around the princess’ smaller frame. Ji Hoon’s mind was blank and the only thing that was on his mind was how soft and inviting the younger woman’s lips were. Seol’s whole body was tingling and she could not help but love the feel of her body pressed against his and his arms wrapped around her.

“Seol,” she told him once they broke away for air. He looked at her in confusion and she could feel her heart pounding in her chest as she admitted, “My name is Seol, Wang Seol. I am the first princess of Goryeo.”

The man just stared at her in shock before uttering, “Why?”

“I did not want to hide who I am at first, but you did not recognize me, and I always wanted a true friend who likes me for who I am, not my station. I just used the chance I got. I was going to tell you soon.” She sheepishly told.

Ji Hoon nodded, understanding what he was being told. He looked down at her and smiled before fear filled his eyes.

“Oh Buddha, the Emperor is going to behead me. I just kissed his daughter.”

Seol could not help but giggle at that. Yi Ji Hoon’s fearful face was absolutely comical. She raised her hand to his face and slowly caressed his cheek and pointedly told, “Do not worry, my father will not kill you.”

He breathed a sigh of relief before saying, “I still stand by what I said, I like you Seol.” Said woman’s eyes crinkled into crescents as she smiled brightly, “I like you too Lord Yi Ji Hoon.” The Lord’s face mirrored hers with a bright smile of his own.

The couple stayed like that for a while, with the princess in the lord’s arms. Both of them basking in the presence of the other.

“Would you like to come to Songak with me?” she whispered, worried about his answer.

“I’d love to Gongju Mama.”

 


 

Convincing Lord Yi to let his heir join her on her trip back to Songak was easy. The man was already happy about the Royal Wang Clan siding with their clan, his heir being chosen to return to Songak with the Grand Princess pleased him even more.

And so, the couple set for Songak. An exhausting two-week journey.

There was a drought in the country, something the people of the Empire were extremely worried about. During droughts, bandits and thieves were quite common. The Princess prayed that her entourage would not be attacked by any bandits, but it seemed that all her prayers went to waste.

At the sight of the bandits rushing at her people, the princess quickly got off her horse and ran forward, hoping that they would stop once they saw her. But unfortunately, it seemed that they did not recognize who she was. She looked around and saw the royal guards had assembled themselves in a formation which was easiest to protect the women traveling with her and were fighting.

“DO NOT INJURE THEM GRAVELY!” Her voice thundered across the area, the guards acknowledged her command with a nod and continued to fight the bandits.

Once realization hit that Yi Ji Hoon was also with her, she turned around to find him. In the time she had gotten to know him, the one thing she clearly knew was that the lord could not fight for the life of him. Sure he could hold a sword and swing it, but that was it. He was no swordsman like her. She found the lord trying to fight a bandit like the absolute idiot he was and immediately ran towards him and barged into the fight, her sword skills no match for the thief who had just attacked her and he easily fell down.

Ji Hoon watched on in amazement as the princess easily took the bandit down, gracefully at that too.

“Tie the man up.” Grand Princess Wang Seol ordered the lord who bowed and tied the man with a piece of rope he found nearby. The fight had gotten over before it could even actually begin, thanks to the princess’ contributions in protecting both the bandits and the guards. Once all of them were tied up and placed together, the Princess Seol asked a question that shocked almost everyone there, “How bad is the drought in your village?”

The tied-up bandits looked at each other in hesitation and one of them spat out, “And why should we tell a pampered lady of the nobility like you?!”

Seol took no offense and instead softly smiled at them, “Because I can help you. I am not a lady of the nobility but rather, a princess of the royal family. I am Princess Wang Seol.”

All the bandits stared at her in shock, but they all prostrated themselves in front of her, “Forgive us Gongju Mama!” their voices echoed in the form of a sincere apology. “We would have never done anything had we known that it was you. We really are sorry. You are the reason my family is still alive.” One of the middle-aged men begged for forgiveness to the princess.

Yi Ji Hoon could not believe the sight he was seeing. He knew that Princess Seol was well-loved amongst the people of the Empire, but he never expected to see it like this. He could only stare at the princess in awe.

“Do not worry. I will not hurt anyone of you. I realize that all of you are having a hard time because of the drought. I assure you that a rain ritual will be done by Emperor Gwangjong. It has not already been done as I am not in Songak.” She slightly bowed to the people, asking them to forgive her but she was stalled by the bandits shouting, “Do not bow to us Gongju Mama” “Please do not embarrass us as such” “We are not even to be at your feet”

The Princess chidingly smiled at the bandits, “Do not say such things, every man and woman born on Goryeo’s soil are equal.” She looked at how thin all of them looked before asking, “Which village do you all belong to?”

“Anyang, Gongju Mama.” They replied in chorus

“We will travel to Anyang before returning to Songak” Seol informed everyone and motioned for the guards to untie the bandits.

 


 

It had been quite a while since she had gone to Damiwon Palace. Relaxing by making soaps in mind, the princess went to the Damiwon and found herself seeing a very interesting sight.

“Oh Buddha” she whispered in shock.

Prince Wang Ju had his hand wrapped around some court lady’s waist and had pulled the girl to him. She watched as he moved her hair behind her ear and whispered, “I love you,”

Seol resisted the urge to groan as she left the Damiwon. Even more frustrated than before. But despite everything running in her mind, one thing was certain,

“Wang Ju is completely his father’s son.”

It was going to become some kind of joke at this point, that the royal family men had a habit of falling in love with the court ladies. She could not help but sigh, court was getting heated up, with the Emperor not having declared an heir. She knew that many of the courtiers would be upset if and when she is declared as heir. Apart from Wang Ju, the 8th Prince’s son, Wang Chi was the only other male heir the Royal Wang Clan had. The 9th Prince’s first wife took the lives of her two sons and herself after the prince was punished for treason. The second wife only had a daughter, with whom she returned to her own clan.

“What are you worrying so much about?” a soothing voice told her as the owner of said voice sneaked his hands around her waist and hugged her from behind. She relaxed for a moment before the fear of her father finding out set in. She quickly turned around and pushed the man behind some trees outside the Damiwon.

She glared at the man who was currently holding her, who gave her a blinding grin. She hit his arm and the lord winced, “Have you finally gone insane?! Why would you hug me in plain sight?! What if my father saw you?! What if ANYONE saw you?!” she hissed to the Yi Lord, who pouted, “I just missed you, you cannot even sneak out often nowadays because of how much work you have. I just wanted to hold my love in my arms. Is that so wrong?” He bent down and stared at her innocently.

How could Seol ever resist that pout? She soothingly rubbed the place where she hit his arm and smiled up at him.

“Are you free today?” Ji Hoon asked.

“I have to meet Wang Chi today.” She apologetically said.

Ji Hoon frowned but understood why she had to do that. In the 2 years he had been in Songak, he had understood that the three important contenders to Emperor Gwangjong’s throne were Wang Seol, Wang Ju, and Wang Chi. Wang Chi who was trying to make a lot of moves in order to covet the throne.

Yi Ji Hoon tucked some rebellious strands behind Seol’s ears and leaned towards her, “I love you” he whispered, the woman in his arms softly smiled at him and whispered, “I love you too”

Not knowing that someone else was also present, the couple kissed. Meanwhile, a horrified Wang Ju stood outside Damiwon Palace. He was completely startled by what he was seeing. Ju muttered, “Nu’i is our father’s daughter alright. How can one fall in love amidst such political tension?” the prince shook his head in hypocrisy.

 


 

Wang Seol had never been to the 8th Prince’s residence before, simply because there had been no reason for her to visit a punished prince’s residence. The 8th Prince had committed treason and was exiled to Hwangju along with his family. A couple of years later, when he had gone mad and died, the 8th Prince’s family was allowed to return back to the Capital, after the Dowager Queen begged her father for it.

“Greetings to the Grand Princess.” The servants greeted her, she acknowledged them with a slight nod and smile.

“Welcome to the Hwangbo Residence, sweet niece.” Princess Seo Nui welcomed her with an overly sweet smile. The older woman had surprisingly not let herself go, despite what all she had faced. Seol also noticed how the woman had referred to her as her niece and not as a princess.

“Grand Princess” Seol corrected the woman, who’s sweet façade slipped for a couple of moments as she stuttered, “Wha…what?”

Princess Wang Seol sweetly smiled at her aunt, “It is understandable that you have forgotten a lot of etiquette, considering how your treasonous husband was confined within your residence, so I shall forgive you for your lapse in addressing me. However, it will not be tolerated the next time.”

“You must deeply bow and address me as Gongju Mama, Grand Princess Seol.”

The 8th Princess’s eyes burned with rage as she lightly bowed and muttered, “Welcome Gongju Mama, Grand Princess Seol.”

Seol tutted, “You must bow deeper and say the words louder.”

The princess bowed deeper and forced herself to say, “Welcome Gongju Mama, Grand Princess Seol.” Seol relished in the older woman bowing in front of her before nodding, “You may rise.” The 8th Princess had composed herself in her time bowing and forcefully smiled, “Please follow me, Gongju Mama

She walked inside the residence, with the 8th Princess walking beside her and the royal guards behind Seol. She hoped the older woman did not try anything foolish, considering how her two daughters were inside the palace.  

Princess Seo Nui walked her to a tearoom, where Prince Wang Chi was present. The prince was calmly enjoying his tea when she saw him, a lazy smirk on his face as he got up at her presence and valiantly bowed, “Greetings to the Grand Princess.” He flashed a grin towards her, but she could not feel anything but unease at the action.

The 8th Princess looked at her son and smiled, “I will leave you both to it then.” She slightly bowed to them and left the chamber. Seol warily moved inside and sat on one of the seats around the table which was placed in the center of the room. The Princess gestured for the prince to seat himself, which he smiled and did.

“I heard you had gone to Seokyeong, how was the trip?” Wang Chi asked, understanding that what he wanted to know was if she made any connections with the Pyeongsan Shin Clan, she smoothly deflected the true meaning of the question and answered, “It was delightful, I met with many of the citizens and oversaw the Dabi-won there, orabeoni.”

The small talk went on for a couple more moments, as both of them deflected the other’s question. While Seol was used to handling people like her cousin, it seemed as though it was not the case for the other person, who finally revealed his true emotions with a frustrated look on his face. He looked straight at the princess and said, “I shall get to what I invited you here for, sweet sister. Both of us know that your ridiculous aspirations to be Queen will fail, let us not waste time or delude ourselves. Marry me instead and I will make you a Queen.”

Seol could not believe what she was hearing and scoffed, “I do not wish to be a Queen. I want to be The Queen.”

She placed her teacup on the table and got up from her seat. Ready to leave the chamber. She had not even taken four steps when she felt the prince hold onto her tightly from the back, “Think of the greatness the both of us could achieve together.” His fingers tried to trace her face but before he could even continue with his vile act, Seol elbowed the prince and freed herself. She kicked her cousin in a place where no man should be kicked and dusted herself as the prince doubled over in pain and fell down groaning.

She glared at the body of the prince lying down, “I hope the 8th Prince’s line ends with you.”  And left the chamber. The Royal Guards standing outside the chamber looked at her in concern, Seol only smiled at them, “Do not worry, I am fine. Let us leave this heaven forsaken residence.”

 


 

It had been 3 days since she had that strange confrontation with the 8th Prince’s son, something she had informed her father and her lover. It was really frustrating how she had to stop both of them from marching into the Hwangbo Residence and murdering the prince.

Due to rising tensions at court, she and her father weren’t able to call their entire family for their daily dinners like they used to do before. However, today was not such a day. Seol had gone to the Damiwon for a relaxing bath as soon as the court session was over and changed into a more comfortable hanbok before leaving for the King’s Quarters to have dinner with her father, brother, cousin, and uncles.

Outside the dining chamber she saw Prince Ju looking overly excited, something she felt too, having caught him in the act a couple of days back, but she did not know why he was so excited. When the prince saw her approaching, he gave her a knowing grin before saying, “I know what you have been up to.” and wiggled his eyebrows in a way that was totally unbecoming of a prince.

She resisted the urge to scoff before she winked at him and told, “I have no clue what you mean but I know what you have been up to.” The Prince then looked confused at what she had just told.

Right in time, their cousin opened the dining chamber’s doors, “There you both are! We all have been waiting for you. Come in!” she said and left the doors open and went back to her seat beside her father, the 13th Prince.

The siblings evilly grinned at each other before saying in unison, “I am going to tell abeoji!”

“Just what are the both of you going to tell me?” Their father who had heard their exclamations asked from where he was seated. The siblings looked at each other and quickly rushed into the dining chamber and seated themselves. They quickly rushed out what they had to say at the same time,

Abeoji I saw Ju kiss a court lady inside the Damiwon three days ago!”

Abeoji I saw Nu’i kiss Lord Yi Ji Hoon outside the Damiwon three days ago!”

“WHAT?!” The voice of their Emperor father thundered across the room as the Wang siblings slowly turned to look at each other in horror.

 

 

Notes:

I am so sorry I haven't updated any of my works as of late. I was ordered to completely rest my right hand for 2-3 weeks by the doctor, so I could not write. I promise to try and update all of my works as soon as I can.

I hope you liked this chapter! Did you like the princess and her lord? The actress that I have in mind for Seol is Kim Go Eun. I know she does not look IU, but that's kind of why I want her to play the role. I do not want Seol to completely resemble her mother. I want her to be a mix of both her parents and her separate person at the same time.

(Btw. the name Yi Ji Hoon is actually a reference. Let me know if anyone of you got it!)

Notes:

Because I absolutely despise the idea of Yeon Hwa's son on the throne (and later Wook's)