Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-07-26
Updated:
2021-01-01
Words:
50,244
Chapters:
10/20
Comments:
20
Kudos:
54
Bookmarks:
12
Hits:
3,675

Stargirl: The New Multiverse

Chapter 10: The Huntress

Summary:

The JSA newest battle against the ISA proved to be more challenging than previously thought. Meanwhile, Artemis Crock faces a challenge that will define the person she truly is.

Chapter Text

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

           The two opposing sides stood in the hallway, facing each other. Prepared to attack at any moment.

           “Uhm… Lizardman, we got an issue,” Sportsmaster said over the coms.

           “Keep them occupied,” Dragon King answered as he walked down the hallway slashing another guard with Shiv walking behind him. “I need time to get the device.”

           “You heard Lizard King,” Sportsmaster said. “Let’s take them on.” Sportsmaster took out a ball and threw it right at them.

           “I will tie them up quick and easy,” Flash said.

           “Wait Flash!” Dr. Mid-Nite shouted right as Flash sped forward. The team watched as Barry was flung back from an invisible force in a flash of bright light. Flash crashed against the ceiling before falling.

           “Oh ho, his toys really do work,” Sportsmaster exclaimed while swinging his bat.

           “There appear to be high tech upgrades on Sportsmaster and Tigress,” Chuck informed via the JSA coms.

           “What do we do now?” Dr. Mid-Nite asked worried as Flash sped up beside her. “Dragon King and Shiv are still out there.”

           “As much as I don’t like the idea. We need to split,” Icicle Jr. said.

           “Dr. Mid-Nite and Flash, find Dragon King and stop him,” Stargirl said, looking at Dr. Mid-Nite and Flash, both nodding.

           “Hourman, Icicle, stick together with me,” Stargirl said. “We keep them together. S.T.R.I.P.E. will standby outside for any escapers."

               "Copy that," answered Pat.

           “Got it,” Hourman agreed.

           “Funny that you think that you all can defeat us.” Tigress chuckled before the trio moves to attack.

           “Flash take Dr. Mid-Nite and go!” Stargirl said.

           Sportsmaster went directly for Hourman while Tigress went for Stargirl. The younger Tigress went for Icicle Jr. Sportsmaster attempted to land a punch on Hourman but ended up getting knocked backward by Hourman punch.

           “Not bad, you improved,” Sportsmaster said chuckling before running towards the hooded hero.

           Stargirl and Tigress were exchanging punches and kicks as they fought. Stargirl managed to knock the older woman off her balance and push her against the wall with her staff.

           “Hmm… good,” Tigress chuckled as she tried to push the staff away with her hands. “But I’m better.” The blond heroine watch in horror as claws sprouted out of the older woman’s fingers. Stargirl managed to dodge Tigress's new claws.

           Tigress Jr. was shooting arrows at Icicle Jr. who managed to dodge and catch the arrows before shooting an ice blast. Tigress Jr. managed to dodge it and run towards Icicle Jr. As she tried to land a punch on him, Icicle Jr. caught her hand tightly.

           “Not as good as your parents I see,” Icicle Jr. said.

           “Shut up,” Tigress Jr. replied. She could feel the cold creeping into her. He was freezing her. “Stop…” Tigress Jr. was struggling against his grip.

           “You keep your hands off her!” Tigress yelled in fury after knocking Stargirl aside and coming in to attack Icicle Jr. managed to create an ice shield. Tigress shattered it effortlessly.

           “You’re going to regret that,” Tigress growl before charging towards Icicle Jr.

           Tigress Jr. looked at the scenario before realizing that Stargirl was charging towards her. Tigress Jr. then stood up and dodge the attack before landing a hit on the blond heroine's face, knocking her back. Stargirl staggered back before firing a shot at Tigress Jr. who managed to evade the blast and fire an arrow right back at her.

           Meanwhile, Flash and Dr. Mid-Nite stopped in the hallway. There were a couple of drones headed toward them.

           “Where are we going?” asked Flash as he watches the drones advancing towards them.     

           “Is only logical that the drones are protecting them,” Dr. Mid-Nite said.

           “Okay, hang on,” Flash said before taking the hooded heroine and sped past the mindless drones.

           “Father, they- he is coming,” Shiv informed as Dragon King picked up a small cube from the ground and handed it and a gun towards Shiv.

           “Then, we will put our plans into motion,” Dragon King said.

           Stargirl and Tigress Jr. exchanged blows and dodged each other attacks. Tigress Jr. was evidently the more experienced fighter between the two and managed to knock Stargirl down. Stargirl looked up and saw a clear opening. She pointed her staff at her opponent and shot a blast of energy right at Tigress Jr. The other girl managed to dodge it flawlessly before attempting to return a hit.

           “Tsk… Slow,” Sportsmaster chuckled as he blocked Hourman’s punches.

           “Yeah? You think?” Hourman grunted.

           “Hmph, you will see,” Sportsmaster answered.

           Hourman watched as Sportsmaster’s body amour began to light up, metal formed on the villain, covering him.

           “Impressed? Kid?”

           “You talk too much,” Rick grunted as he attempted to hit Sportsmaster.

           Sportsmaster moved swiftly before returning a punch, right in Hourman’s stomach, sending him flying backward across the hallways. “Oh ho. These really do pack a punch.”

           Hourman grunted as he tried to get up and felt the pain of hitting the ground so hard. “Hurt’s doesn’t it?” Hourman heard the masked man said.

           Hourman got up swiftly and kicked the man off balance before attempting to land another hit. Sportsmaster swiftly got up and hit Hourman in the stomach with his bat. The force of it was enough to send him flying again.

           Tigress was firing arrows at Icicle Jr. as he returned ice blast while trying to get closer to her. “Stay still, Frosty!” Tigress chuckled as she fired another arrow which was a close call for Icicle Jr.

           Icicle Jr. shot multiple ice blasts at the older woman which hit her. Tigress groaned from the sudden change of temperature. Icicle Jr. managed to grab hold of the villainess, holding her by her neck and slowly freezing her.

           “This is for all the death and destruction you caused,” Icicle Jr. said.

           Stargirl and Tigress Jr. were fighting when the younger Tigress saw what was happening to the older Tigress. “No!”

           Stargirl looked in Tigress Jr.'s direction and was horrified at what she saw, her boyfriend was going to freeze Tigress to death. “Icicle, no!” Stargirl rushed forward and knocked the boy away from Tigress, who was very pale at this moment, letting her slump to the floor, still alive. “We do not kill!”

           Before Icicle Jr. had time to react to his girlfriend’s action, a loud clunk was heard, and he fell to the ground unconscious. Revealing Sportsmaster who was standing behind him. Sportsmaster knocked the staff out of Stargirl’s hand with ease. Meanwhile, Tigress stood up slowly.

           “No…” Stargirl began to back away from Sportsmaster as Tigress Jr.

           “Hey D.K., we got the kids,” Sportsmaster informed.

           “Good. Tigress Jr. end them,” Dragon King ordered.

           “What?” Artemis stuttered.

           “You heard him,” Sportsmaster chuckled as he grabbed ahold of Stargirl, who struggled against his grip fruitlessly.

           “Flash, we need help,” Stargirl said via her coms.

           “Oh yeah, your coms won’t work now,” Sportsmaster chuckled.

           “Al-alright,” Artemis said as she aimed for Stargirl’s head. She made a move to pull the trigger but stop. She couldn’t do it. She has hurt people before but never killed.

           Courtney stops struggling when she notices that Tigress Jr. was hesitating. Tigress walked up beside Artemis. “Just pull the trigger dear.”

           “C’ mon, girl, pull the-” Sportsmaster was interrupted as a cold blast hit him, causing him to lose his grip on Stargirl. The blond heroine managed to pick up his staff and shot a blast right at Sportsmaster.

           Stargirl and Icicle Jr. stood side by side, facing Sportsmaster, Tigress Jr., and Tigress, who hasn’t recovered fully from Icicle Jr.’s cold touch.

           Artemis felt terrible, she hesitated, and now this was the result. As she was about to make her move, Artemis saw her mother put her hand in front of her, gesturing for her to stand down.

           “Mission accomplished,” Sportsmaster said. Tigress smirked and nodded. She shot an arrow that landed at the foot of Stargirl.

           “Well, seems like you missed,” Stargirl said.

           “Did I now?” Tigress smiled as she pressed a button on her gauntlet.

           Stargirl and Icicle Jr. were thrown across the hallway by the force that was emitted from the arrow.

           “Let’s go,” Sportsmaster said to her daughter then turned to his wife. “Can you walk?”

           “Yes, let’s go,” Tigress answered.

           “Hourman, Flash, Dr. Mid-Nite, do you copy?” Stargirl asked over the coms. There was still no answer.

           “Urgh,” Icicle Jr. groaned as he got up. “You all right?”

           “I’m fine,” Courtney answered.

           “Listen, about just now…”

           “We will talk about that later. We need to find the others first,” Stargirl said.

           Barry stopped in the hallways as soon as he saw a hooded figure standing in the way along with a masked girl. Thanks to the introduction already made by the others, Barry knew whom he was dealing with. Beth began scanning the duo in front of them.

           “Welcome, Flash, you come a long way from here,” Dragon King began to speak.

           “The package must be with Dragon King, they must have shrunk it somehow,” Dr. Mid-Nite said.

           “Hmm… Shiv, give me some alone time with the speedster,” Dragon King ordered.

           “Flash you take Dragon King,” Dr. Mid-Nite said.

           “What about- “

           “I can handle myself. Dragon King is our main target.”

           Barry then ran towards Dragon King and punched him, knocking him to the ground. To his surprise, the hooded villain got up as if nothing ever happened. He watched as Dragon King drew out a katana.

           “You do know who you’re up against right?” asked Barry mockingly.

           “Of course, I do, Flash,” Dragon King said before throwing a sphere towards Barry. The sphere released a wave of energy that knocked Barry back.

           As Barry run towards Dragon King, he realized that he couldn’t run fast anymore. “What the-”

           “A temporary power dampeners, to level the playing field for a couple of minutes,” Dragon King revealed as Barry watched his katana blade light up. Dragon King charged towards him.

           Beth grunted as she punched Shiv. The green-masked girl unleashed a blade and attempts to stab her as she held Beth against the wall. Beth dodged the blade and kicked Shiv backward.

           “Hmm… you’re a better fighter than I thought,” Shiv said as she got back up.

           “Well, I had a good teacher,” Dr. Mid-Nite answered.

           “Hmm… we shall see,” Shiv hissed as she attacked again.

           “Shiv, stand down,” Dragon King said as he pulled his sword out of Barry’s shoulder, letting him fall on the ground. “I placed it.”

           “Understood,” Shiv answered as she dodged Dr. Mid-Nite's attacks and pressed a button on her gauntlet.

           Beth watched in surprise and awe as Shiv disappeared into the circular disk that also disappeared once Shiv went through. “A portal?”

           “Dr. Mid-Nite! Flash! Do you copy?” Beth could hear Courtney via the coms.

           “I copy Stargirl,” Beth answered.

           “Where’s Flash?”

           “He was fighting Dragon King,” Beth answered.

           “I’m not seeing anyone coming out of the building,” Pat informed. “They must still be in the building.

           “No, Shiv disappeared through a portal guys,” Beth revealed.

           “What?” the others said in surprise.

           “If that is true, then the ISA already escaped,” Pat said gravely.

           "Flash here. Is anyone else nearby?" Barry said, his voice weak.

               "Where are you?" Flash asked Courtney.

               "Near the storage room, got stabbed in the shoulder, my speed healing will heal me but I need help," Barry said.

               "Can't you run over here?"

               "Not yet. the enemy had some kind of power dampeners," Barry said.

               "I will head over to help," Rick said.

               Cameron and Courtney exchanged glances as they knew that this was another failure.

ISA HEADQUARTERS, UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

           Artemis felt terrible. She held back when she was supposed to carry out her task. Artemis didn’t mind what the ISA would think about her. What she minded was about her parents' well-being due to her hesitance to kill. Artemis leaned against the wall of her family’s training and storage room, looking at her mask. “Why?”

           “Hey, girl,” Artemis looked up when she heard his father’s voice. “Are you all right?” Her mother was standing beside him, looking better.

           “Mom is you all right?” asked Artemis concerned.

           “I’m fine, don’t worry,” Paula said, smiling.

           “I’m sorry,” Artemis apologized dejectedly.

           “For what?”

           “For hesitating,” Artemis said. “If I wasn’t holding back you two probably won’t get hurt.”

           “There is no need to apologized Art, you did fine out there,” Paula encouraged. “Don’t worry too much. You did what you could.”

           “But what if-”

           “We will deal with the ISA. Don’t worry girl,” Larry assured. “Homecoming is coming soon, right? Go and relax and enjoy yourself with your friends. Don’t worry about the ISA.”

           “On the topic of homecoming, have you asked anyone to dances yet, or are you going solo again?” asked Paula.

           “Actually, I have been planning to ask someone,” Artemis revealed, relieved at a change of topic.

           “Oh, that’s new. Who is the boy?” asked Paula curiously.

           “Don’t worry, dear,” Larry assured Artemis. “If he rejects you, he will get it from us.”

           “Uhm… mom, dad, chill, there is no need to get so excited,” Artemis chuckled. “And the lucky guy is the lucky girl.”

           “You have feelings for a girl?” asked Larry, somewhat surprised.

           “You know Jesse?” asked Artemis.

           “You mean the girl you had been hanging out with a lot ever since this term began?” asked Paula as she set down her crossbow.

           “More like technically living in our house,” Larry chuckled. “I’m will be surprised if she didn’t already have something for you.”

           “Wait… so you are okay with me being…”

           “You’re our beloved daughter. Nothing is more important to us than your happiness and well-being,” Larry said as Paula nodded.

           “T- thanks,” Artemis said.

           “Just ask her. I’ve seen how she acts around you,” Paula said. “I’m sure she won’t turn you down.”

           “You really think so?”

           “We know so,” Larry said encouragingly. “Just go for her girl.”

           “Thanks, mom, thanks dad,” Artemis said, smiling, full of hope. She hugged them.

           “Now, you better head back home. It’s quite late,” Paula ushered motherly.

           “All right, goodnight,” Artemis said after putting back her suit, looking at it before sighing and walking away.

           Larry and Paula exchanged glances after their daughter had left. With what happened with her out there earlier, Dr. Ito would question them for their daughter's hesitance to kill.

           Cindy was sleeping in her quarters after another long day. And that was when she began to hear voices that seemingly sounded both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.

           “Cindy!” Cindy could hear someone shout. She turned around; it was Stargirl.

           “Go! I’m buying you some time!”

           Cindy then looked forward, facing Dragon King, rushing forward to attack him. They fought fiercely, letting their blades clash. Then, Cindy heard a loud crack, she looked up and saw a huge debris fall and destroy the bridge. She and Dragon King fell into the depth of the machine. As she fell, her head hit something, and she blacked out.

           Cindy woke up, sitting up and breathing heavily. Cindy felt confused. The scenery felt familiar to her, but she was sure she had never experienced it before. “Why would I be fighting my father? Why would I help Stargirl? Ah, whatever it was just a dream…” Cindy shrugged before plopping back onto her bed, drifting back into sleep.

MONTEZ’S HOUSE

           “Yolanda… Yolanda…” voices of Henry and Brainwave echoed and mixed inside the brunette's head as she tried to sleep.

           “His blood is on your hands…”

           “You are no different… just as guilty”

           Yolanda could feel the voices of different people feeling her head.

           Yolanda writhed in her bed. “Stop.”

           “I wonder who is the villain here? Me or you?”

           “You killed my father, Yolanda. I thought you were different.”

           “You bring shame to your family.”

           “Your hands… dripping red with blood…”

           “Stop… Stop… STOP!” Yolanda yelled in frustration and fear as she got up. Breathing heavily, she looked around the room. Her room doors opened. Her parents walked into the room. They were angry.

           “For god sake, Yolanda. Can you keep it down! Stop shouting and screaming every night!” Yolanda’s father bellowed angrily while her mother stood beside him. “As if bringing shame to this family wasn’t enough,” Yolanda’s mother added.

           Yolanda just looked at them blankly. It was almost 2 years since her nudes got leaked and her parents still haven’t forgotten and let go of it. Yolanda watches blankly as her parents walked out of her room, slamming the door as they left.

           Tears filled her eyes as she sobbed from the accumulated trauma she experienced again. After the tears stopped coming, Yolanda sighed and picked up her phone, looking at the time. It was still early at midnight. The girl laid back on the bed and sighed. Those nightmares of Brainwave and Henry had been haunting him for months now and do not seems to stop. Yolanda knew she had to tell the others, it was not natural, like at all.

           Then again, she did kill Brainwave.

WHITMORE-DUGAN’S HOUSE

           Courtney and Cameron didn’t talk to each other until they returned from the failed mission and meeting at the Pit Stop. They were mostly feeling bad about what happened during their confrontation with the ISA.

           "Court... I-" Cameron began as they entered their room.

               "What were you thinking Cam? You almost killed her," Courtney asked.

               "I know, I know, I got carried away," Cameron said. "It won't happen again."

               Courtney sighed as she sat on the bed. "I'm sorry Cam. I let you get hit by Sportsmaster."

               "No, I'm more at fault here. Don't blame yourself for that or the mission, you did the best you could Court," Cameron assured.

               "Hmm... I'm not sure about that, there were no many better decisions I could've made. But instead of doing any of those, I went on with the plan I had at the time," Courtney rambled on.

               "Court. People make mistakes, don't blame yourself. We will get them the next time," Cameron said as he held the girl's hand.

               "Hopefully," Courtney gazed at her window as Cameron held her hand.

TYLER'S HOUSE

               "Thanks for letting me stay over at your house tonight Rick," Beth thanked as they entered the house.

               "No problem, I mean, is kinda lonely staying alone," Rick said. "Plus, anything for you Beth."

               "Oh, I know," Beth smiled before kissing Rick on the cheek. "I need to take a shower after all that action."

               "Sure, I will wait," Rick said as he sat down at the study table and took out his father's journal.

               "You're still trying to figure that journal out huh?" asked Beth as she looked on.

               "Well, you know me," Rick answered.

               "Don't sleep too late, we still have school tomorrow," Beth reminded as she headed toward the bathroom.

               "I know babe," Rick answered,

           The next day, the teenagers decided to have an unofficial “JSA meeting” via a video call after school due to the unexpected development that happened the night before. That was when Yolanda finally decided to reveal about her nightmares.

           “You’re having these dreams?” Rick asked, looking quite surprised over the video chat.

           “Yeah,” Yolanda said.

           “Don’t you think this nightmare and the way you described it is oddly specific?” asked Beth. “And you could feel the pain… That’s weird… like really.”

           “Have you ever had any dreams or nightmares like this?” asked Yolanda?

           “I never had one that felt realistic, like what you had,” Rick answered.

           “Yeah, never had one like that,” Courtney agreed.

           “My ears were even bleeding when I woke up,” Yolanda added.

           “Since when did you start having these nightmares?” asked Cameron.

           “Ever since the accident,” Yolanda answered.

           “And you waited this long to tell us?”

           “I had to make sure that it wasn’t a one-off thing,” Yolanda said.

           “This is serious. You should see a therapist for this,” Beth advised.

           “And possibly revealing my identity?” asked Yolanda. “No way.”

           “Wait… Yolanda, where were you when you first had these dreams?” asked Cameron.

           “The hospital,” Yolanda recalled. “Why?”

           “Nothing… just curious,” Cameron said.

           “Well, if anything like this happens again don’t hesitate to tell us,” Courtney said.

           “I’ll keep that in mind… By the way, why do you all look so haggard, didn’t have a good sleep?” asked Yolanda.

           “Uhm… ISA happened last night,” Cameron said yawning.

           “Oh god. Are you guys hurt?” asked Yolanda in concern.

           “No… we’re fine, no injuries. But they escaped,” Rick said.

           “I thought you had a speedster on your side?”

           “The ISA has new upgrades,” Beth said before going on to describe the tech they saw the enemy wield the night before.

           “Someone else we don’t know is helping the ISA, Pat says that even Dragon King couldn’t be able to come up with this stuff,” Courtney said.

           “I don’t know, the way you guys put it was as if the ISA was wielding tech way ahead of our time,” Yolanda said.

           “I know right?” Rick said.

           “A time traveler maybe?” Yolanda wondered.

           “Time traveler? Sound’s right out of science fiction,” Cameron said.

           “Just like how our life is like on of a superheroes’ story,” Beth added.

           “True, I won’t be surprised if there is really a time traveler or aliens helping the ISA,” Courtney groaned. “It’s getting tiring, to be honest.”

           “Who did you guys fight?”

           “Mainly Sportsmaster, Tigress, Tigress Jr,” Cameron said, moving in to cuddle Courtney, letting her rest her head on him.

           “They had shields, extra amour, weapons, we didn’t stand a chance,” Beth said.

           “And they are supposed to be the less powerful members of the ISA, other than the Gambler of course,” Cameron added.

           “You guys are lucky you got out of it unharmed,” Yolanda said.

           “Yeah, barely,” Courtney said.

           “We’re starting to get outnumbered without you and Henry,” Cameron said.

           “Yeah, you’re practically the best fighter and Henry is the most powerful out of all of us,” Beth agreed.

           “Well, Rick is training Alex, right? You’ll have extra help soon,” Yolanda said.

           “Wait, Barry couldn’t defeat them?” Yolanda asked confused. “He is practically the faster man alive.”

           “You know I can hear you right?” Barry called out, unamused.

           “Oops, forgotten that the man is still in the house,” Courtney chuckled. “Aren’t you supposed to be at Jesse’s place?”

           “We are heading out now,” Pat answered.

           “What was that about?” asked Yolanda.

           “Well, he is still trying to understand how he came here in the first place,” Courtney explained.

           “He thinks that Jesse and her father may be connected to all this somehow and is going there to visit him,” Rick added.

           “Wait... he is just going to knock on the Chambers’s door and say, “Hey there, I’m from another Earth, can you help me get back?” Yolanda jokingly asked.

           “Yeah, I can’t imagine him talking to Dr. Chambers like that,” Beth said amidst the laughter.

           “He is going in alone?” Yolanda asked curiously

           “I think Pat’s going to go with him,” Cameron answered.

           “Well, having a scientist on our side might be able to help our tech problem,” Yolanda commented.

           “Yeah, it probably would,” Rick agreed.

           “So, any progress on the girl speedster?”

           “Barry said that he once knew a speedster by the name of Jesse Wells. He says that our Jesse Chambers look quite similar to the Jesse Wells he knew,” Cameron explained.

           “I don’t see any connection there, There is nothing to prove that Jesse Chambers might be the speedster,” Yolanda said.

           “Exactly,” Beth said.

           “Well, I don’t know. At this point, I would think anything is possible,” Rick said. “Life just keeps getting crazier each day.”

           “Yeah, it does,” Beth agreed. “And we are nowhere close to having an answer.”

           “Wait… on the topic of being understaffed,” Yolanda said. “I thought Courtney still has a couple of JSA stuff? That bag was quite full.”

           “Well yeah. But I tend not to give those out like how I did with you guys now. Because it’s too risky, I was kinda dumb at that time to give them out like that. I was even lucky that none of you were connected to the ISA. Imagine I went with my instinct and gave Artemis Crock one,” Courtney answered.

           “Oh, that would probably be bad,” Rick said.

           “I even considered Cindy once,” Courtney admitted.

           “Yeah, you’re dumb,” Yolanda quipped.

           “Yeah, thanks, kitty cat,” Courtney answered sarcastically, prompting the others to laugh as they continued to chat.

ISA HEADQUARTER

           Jordan looked at the photo in his hand. The photo shows a family that was once nothing but a happy and normal family. The night Jordan finally destroyed the old JSA, he felt he was stepping closer to his dream. After a decade, he hasn’t succeeded. He was so close to his goal last year, only to be defeated at the hands of a group of teenagers. The worst part was that Cameron has discovered his true self and went against him.

           Time in imprisonment had Jordan thinking about all his decision and choices. Jordan sometimes would wonder if what he was doing worth it with no end at sight. His wife was dead, his son has already distrusted him. If he wasn’t fighting for a better world for his son, was it worth all the fight? The struggles?

           “Jordan.”

           Jordan turned around in surprise. “Dr. Ito.”

           “I am sure you’re aware of the incident that happened during the last mission. I decided that we prohibit Artemis Crock from joining any more missions.”

           “Shouldn’t we decide this during the meeting later?”

           “No, I rather not,” Dr. Ito said coldly. “She hesitated when I gave direct orders to kill.”

           “But I thought that we shouldn’t-”

           “It was a test. To test Artemis Crock,” Dr. Ito interrupted.

           "You know. I never understood how you managed to convince Artemis to join and help," Jordan said.

               "That was the time when you all were locked up. I needed a diversion. It was easy to manipulate the truth and dose her with a bit of chemical," Dr. Ito explained. "But now, it is clear that Artemis isn't suitable or has the right mindset to continue."

           “Fine, have it your way. Just… try not to ignite a fight with her parents,” Jordan said.

           “Hmmph… Why would I?” Dr. Ito said, amused as he walks away.

           Dr. Ito walked calmly down the hallway. He had one goal in his mind at that very moment, to find the Crocks. He knew that this problem had to be tackled before it eventually affects their plans.

           “Lawrence, Paula,” Dr. Ito greeted as he stood at the door of the Crock’s training room. The couple was doing combat training.

           “Well, look at Lizard Man here,” Larry chuckled as he turned around. The couple and the scientist had never been on good terms in the first place.

           “I would prefer if you stop calling me that. But that is not the point of my visit today,” Dr. Ito said, as cold as ever.

           “What do you want?” asked Paula, her voice as cold and harsh as the reptilian man.

           “I believe you two should know the purpose of my visit, the test,” Dr. Ito said. “I’ve seen the footage. Artemis Crock has proved herself to be not ready for the ISA again.”

           “We still got away, nothing has changed,” Larry protested. “Plus, we weren’t even supposed to kill them in the first place.”

           “Barely, and we agreed with this test way before the mission.” Dr. Ito spat. “If she continues to be this hesitant, our entire plan might crumble apart because of her.”

           “What are you even proposing we do now?” Paula asked impatiently.

           “Simple, the same thing I did to Cynthia,” Dr. Ito said coldly.

           “No,” Larry said firmly.

           “I’m sorry?”

           “I said no. We won’t let you hurt her,” Larry answered, his voice growing harsher.

           “Of course, you won’t,” Dr. Ito said, his voice slightly amused. “Until Artemis can get over her hesitance to kill. I daresay she wouldn’t join any of the ISA missions.”

           “Understood,” Paula said coldly. “Go.”

           “Gladly.”

           Larry and Paula looked at each other concerned as the hooded man left the place.

           “That went better than expected,” Larry said.

           “She is safer off the battleground,” Paula agreed. “She will understand.”

CHAMBER’S HOUSE

           “Are you sure about this Barry?” Pat asked as he drove.

           “Pat, I told you, I’m sure. I just need to get in and ask him a couple of question, I need to know whether he can help me or not,” Barry said.

           “Fine. But you can’t tell him about your secret, at least until it is clear that we can trust him,” Pat said skeptically.

           “I know,” Barry said. “Yeah, that’s his house.”

           “Okay…” Pat answered as he stopped his car by the roadside.

           Barry got out of the car and looked at the house while Pat stopped the engine and got out of the car.

           “So, you remember your lines?” asked Barry.

           “Yes, don’t worry just do your thing,” Pat urged.

           “All right then,” Barry said as he walked towards the door and pressed the doorbell.

           Not long after, the door opened. “May I help you? Gentlemen,” a man seated in the wheelchair spoke.

           Barry looked at Harrison Chambers. He looked nothing like a Harrison Wells. “Perhaps I was wrong…”

           “We’re looking for Harrison Chambers,” Pat took over the situation seeing Barry's sudden silence.

           “That would be me,” Harrison said smiling. “And you two are?”

           “Pat Dugan and Barry Allen,” Barry introduced themselves quickly.

           “Well, come in, make yourselves home,” Harrison welcomed. “I don’t get a lot of visitors nowadays. A bit lonely sometimes,” Harrison said. “So, what brings you two to my humble house.”

           “Well, I am a good friend of Pat here, staying at his place for the moment. And I heard that the once-famous Harrison Chambers has moved here,” Barry said.

           “Well, you must be fortunate to know that, not many people know that I moved here,” Harrison chuckled. “I assume you come to talk about the particle accelerator incident?”

           “Wh- “Barry stuttered.

           “Oh, please. That’s all people nowadays know me for now… Blowing a hole in Keystone City,” Harrison chuckled sarcastically.

           “Well, I’m quite a science enthusiastic myself. Would like to talk to Harrison Chambers himself before leaving the country again,” Barry explained smilingly. In his mind, he was sure that this Harrison Chambers is no way a doppelganger. Seems like all the Wells doppelganger is left in Nash Wells‘s mind back on Earth Prime. “I read quite a bit about you…

           Pat just looked in silence. Well, he did get the two science geeks together. Now, he is in for a long boring conversation he would barely enjoy. Pat looked around the house, it was like any normal house, with nothing much to see. Pat looked on as Barry and Harrison were already talking about deep sciences. The mechanic didn’t quite understand what the two were even talking about. He just pretended to be invested as the other two continued to talk.

BLUE VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL

           Artemis and Jesse were in the changing room after football practices, chatting and talking about the day while their mind was thinking about their goals. After they finished changing, they headed towards the diner to have their dinner.

               "Well, is surprising that Mr. Degaton didn't call you out for going against Alita today," Jesse said as the girls were talking about Artemis's latest 'showdown' against Alita, which caused their entire recess period.

               "Well, to think of it, I haven't seen the principal for a few days now," Artemis commented.

               "But really, Art. You gotta stop this. You don't wanna get yourself in trouble because she insulted me... again."

               "Nah, if anyone tries to hurt you in any way, they are going to get it," Artemis replied.

               "Oh, by the way, I met Courtney and her friends here yesterday," Jesse remembered as they walked into the diner.

               "Really?"

               "Yeah, they invited me to join them," Jesse added.

               "Well, at least you weren't alone. I felt terrible for deserting you like that," Artemis said as the two girls sat down.

               "No problem. I understand," Jesse said. "Family is important after all."

               "Friends like you are equally important too," Artemis said as her phone buzzed.

               Artemis's heart dropped as she thought. "Not tonight again."

               To her relief as she took out her phone, it wasn't anything about a mission, instead, it was a message from her mother.

               "Ito has decided to relieve you from your duties temporarily. Don't worry about us. Enjoy your time. We will call you if we need help. Go and get your girl ;) "

               Artemis suddenly had a conflicted feeling. She was happy because that she doesn't have to do worry about deserting Jesse suddenly. But then again, her time with the ISA has seemingly given her a higher purpose, now without that purpose, her life seems lost.

               "Who was it?" asked Jesse curiously.

               "My mom," Artemis answered, her voice bringing unintended stiffness.

               "I understand if you have to leave," Jesse said.

               "No, no, quite the opposite. I don't need to help them out now," Artemis said.

               "Oh, I see," Jesse said, smiling as the waitress walked towards their table.

               After ordering, the two girls continued their conversation.

               "Well, now you don't have to worry about me deserting you anymore," Artemis said cheerfully. "I get to spend more time with you."

               "That's nice. I- I like spending time with you, Art," Jesse stuttered at the thought of asking her to the dances. "Calm down, calm down... Be normal," Jesse reminded herself mentally.

               "Aww... You're blushing," Artemis teased. "Don't be shy, the feeling is mutual, you're my best friend after all."

               "So... that means that you will definitely be going to the dances this weekend?" Jesse asked.

               "Yeah, well I haven't asked yet though," Artemis said. "Now how do I tell her?" she wondered.

               "Yeah... Heh... Me too, too shy," Jesse stuttered.

               "You know... I can always help you right?" Artemis said chuckling as their food arrived. "We are friends after all."

               "I like you," Jesse stuttered out.

               "I know Jess," Artemis replied, smiling, but feeling puzzled. 'Why was she acting so weird today?"

               "I mean, more as a friend," Jesse stuttered out before she realized what she said. "Oh, god what did I just say," Jesse covered her face blushing furiously.

           Artemis finally understood everything that happened between them. "How could I not see this sooner?" thought Artemis happily.

               "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that," Jesse said shamefully.

               "No, Jesse doesn't apologize. I should be the one apologizing," Artemis said.

               "Hmm? Why?"

               "Because I should have seen those signs way sooner," Artemis answered. "Don't be upset Jess, I'm not mad."

               "You aren't?" Jesse said, still blushing as she puts her hand down.

               "I'm not. Like I said earlier, the feeling is mutual, and is still now," Artemis said. "I like you too.'

               "Really?" Jesse asked.

               "Really," Artemis confirmed.

               "Oh, that was so awkward..." Jesse laughed as she covered her face in embarrassment. "And to think I kept on worrying that you would hate me for this."

               "And to think I was worried about how I was going to ask you to the dances," Artemis chuckled along. "We're so cringy."

               "Wait... So all this time you're talking about-" Jesse realized.

               "You, yes," Artemis said.

               "Oh, this better not be a dream," Jesse said.

               "Here, feel my hand," Artemis said holding her hand. "I'm very much real." Jesse couldn't help but blush even more as she moved her hand away from Artemis.

               "So... You will come to the dances with me?"

               "Yes," Artemis said, looking at Jesse. "By the way, do you know that you look really cute when you blush?" Artemis chuckled and teased.

               "Artemis!" Jesse chuckled and groaned in embarrassment.

               Artemis couldn't remember the last time she was this happy. After all that happened in the past months, this has to be the best yet.

               As Jesse talked to Artemis cheerfully, recovering from her awkwardness. She finally could partially understand her mom's last words to her. After all, that happened to her, meeting Artemis was the best thing that ever happened to her yet.

CHAMBER’S HOUSE

           As Barry and Harrison were still talking about science, Pat was trying very hard not to doze off. They had been at Harrison's house for more than 2 hours now. It was nearly night time. Then, a knock came from the door and it opened. Pat watched as a young girl walked in.

               "Bye Art," Jesse said before entering the house.

               "Bye Jess."

               Barry immediately recognized the girl to be Jesse, the girl that gave him the idea to look for Harrison in the first place. Barry then noticed Jesse's facial expression change from a very happy look to a deathly glare the moment she saw her father looking at her.

               "Hey, Jesse, how was-"

               "My day is just fine," Jesse answered in a rough tone, cutting Harrison off completely.

               Pat was shocked at how rude Jesse was. He had heard the way Courtney describe this girl before. And what he saw was not how Courtney described her.

           Harrison watched as her daughter walked upstairs without looking back. He sighed remembering what he did again.

           “Was that your daughter? Jesse?” Barry asked, pretending to be curious.

           “Oh, you know my daughter?”

           “I met her yesterday at the diner,” Barry explained. “Was with Pat’s daughter and her friends when we were her walking alone. Then, Pat’s daughter invited her to join us.”

           “Ah… At least she is making friends,” Harrison said, smiling. ‘I presumed that was when you learned about me?”

           “Actually yes,” Barry answered.

           “Of course,” Harrison muttered. “How was my daughter yesterday?”

           “Quite jovial and interactive in fact,” Barry said as he tried to recall.

           “At least she is happy,” Harrison said.

           “Is there something wrong?” asked Pat, who was beginning to feel that something wasn’t right with the former scientist.

           “Well, it’s no secret that my wife died in the accident. My only daughter fell into a long coma. I watched as a lightning bolt seemingly struck us, I rushed in to protect them. When I woke up, I learned my wife was dead, and my daughter was in a coma. I desperately put all my savings into healing and saving her. When she finally woke up, I was so happy to see her alive and well. But… she wasn’t… She blames me for the accident, which I do. Everything that happened was my fault,” Harrison said, his voice filled with sorrow and regret. “Jesse still hates me to this day.”

           “You know… hate is a strong word. She just needs time,” Barry said.

           “It has been months. I still see that look in her eyes. Full of disappointment and hatred,” Harrison said. “I don’t think any of you would understand.”

           “I do,” Pat interrupted. “My daughter, I mean, my stepdaughter used to dislike me, for moving here, away from a place she used to live. It was until something big changed our lives. It was until then I realized, sometimes things happened, most of the time, not in the way you would want it, but things happen for a reason. Give her some time, she will come around. But you do need to forgive yourself first,” Pat said.

           “How can I forgive myself?” Harrison asked bitterly.

           “You won’t get anywhere if you continue to punish yourself like this. Your wife wouldn’t want you to suffer like this,” Pat said. “She would want you to move on.”

           Harrison looked at Pat. “You know, it is nice having people to talk to.”

           “Well, if you need someone to talk to, you can always ring us up,” Pat offered. ‘As friends.”

           “Friends?”

           “Friends,” Barry confirmed.

ISA HEADQUARTERS, UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

           The adults of the ISA were seated at the round table again, having another meeting. Seemingly focused on the screen which shows Henry King Jr.'s comatose body in the hospital room.

           “What’s his status?” asked Jordan.

           “Brain activity is reaching the desired level. He should awaken in a couple of weeks,” Dr. Ito said. “Although there seems to be a lot of conflict going on,” Dr. Ito said.

           “Naturally, two minds in one body,” Jordan said. “And the hospital staff?”

           “They do not know about the real brain activity going on. Steven’s device has made sure of that.”

           “Good. What about the machine?”

           “The progress we made is according to plan,” Dr. Ito answered.

           “The speedster?”

           “Based on the readings from the device planted. Is already in the right condition,” Steven answered. “The other not quite ready yet.”

           “This is tiring… How much longer we need to wait?” Larry complained.

           “Until the girl is ready,” Dr. Ito said calmly.

           “Can’t we like kidnap them now?”

           “We need not draw any attention towards us,” Dr. Ito said. “For this plan to work, everything we need to do has to happen simultaneously.”

           “So, you got all the materials you need?” asked Jordan.

           “Yes, but not without interference,” Dr. Ito said.

           “So, we heard,” Steven said. “I think we need to consider cutting off their informant once and for all.”

           “Steven is right. We can’t have them ratting us out on our plan,” Paula agreed.

           “You all are seriously considering attacking them? If we attack them, our cover is as good as blown the minute we-”

           “Perhaps your pal Zoom can help,” Larry said. “Plus, we could get out Zarrick’s old diamond. That thing does pack a punch.”

           “No… there is a reason why we agreed to put it away,” Jordan said firmly.

           “Jordan, you can’t possibly agree with this absurd idea,” Dr. Ito objected.

           “Let’s see what he thinks,” Jordan said. “Put him through.”

BLUE VALLEY

           Artemis was walking home from Jesse's house. Although their houses were in a different direction from the diner, Artemis still decided to accompany Jesse to make sure she was safe. She smiled as she walks. She had finally done it. She asked Jesse Chambers to the homecoming dance and she said yes. Artemis was so sure she hasn't felt so happy for a while. But, as happy she felt. she felt conflicted due to the fact she isn't going to be able to help her parents fight for a better world. "Well, at least I can stay away from doing something that I don't like."

               Then, a scream drew Artemis's attention. It came from an alley nearby. In curiosity, Artemis walked towards the source of the sound. Then, she saw it. A woman was being robbed by a man. Artemis looked around them, it was night and there was no one nearby. Artemis then saw the robber holding a knife in his hand. Artemis was surprised as there hasn't been a case like this for a very long time.

           "I can't let him hurt her," Artemis thought. Then, she had an idea.

           Artemis took out her arrow gauntlets and a black mask that she usually wears during her mission. She quickly put them on while making sure no one was nearby.

           "Give me your money!" Ordered the robber.

           "Leave her alone!"

           Both the robber and the woman turned and looked at the person who spoke. The robber saw a person wearing a dark green hoodie that obscured his view of the person's face.

           "What did you say?"

           "I said, leave her alone," Artemis repeated.

           "Oh, and why do you think I will listen to you?" The man scoffed.

           Artemis quickly shot an arrow at the man, distracting him. Artemis knock the man off his balance and let him fall to the ground.

           "Why you little-" The man growled as he got up and lurched at Artemis, who managed to dodge the man attack and land a hit. The robber stumbled backward.

           "You will learn to mind your own business," the man growled as he attempted to stab Artemis.

           Just right at that moment. A red blur whizzed past Artemis and hit the robber, knocking him away from Artemis then tying him up swiftly. Soon, the red blur became clear, and Artemis immediately recognized the person to be the girl speedster she fought a couple of weeks ago. The mysterious girl that seemingly wasn't in the JSA yet.

           "You're safe to go and call the police," the girl speedster said to the woman, who thanked both of them gratefully before leaving the place.

           "Well, would you look at that, my first bad guy? Today is the best!" Artemis could hear the speedster mutter.

           Then, the speedster turned towards Artemis, who gulped while hoping that she wouldn't recognize her. "That was quite brave of you fighting a mugger like that," the speedster praised Artemis.

           "Oh... um, that was nothing," Artemis stuttered in surprise that she didn't recognize her, probably because of the attire she was in.

           "Well, that was indeed something. You must be the vigilante of this town or something," the girl speedster said. "I didn't catch your name, or your alias, I mean, secret identifies right?"

           "What's yours?"

           "I don't know, I'm pretty new at this, for now, call me the Flash," the speedster said friendly. "What about you?"

           "What about me? Well, definitely not Tigress Jr. or Tigress, that would give me away. Hmm... Arrow? Huntress? Huntress sounds kinda good..."

           "Well, call me... Huntress," Artemis said after thinking for a short while.

           "Hmm... a badass name," the other girl said. "Well, the police should be coming along anytime now. See you around, Huntress."

           And in a rush of wind, the Flash was gone. Artemis smiled to herself as she left the alley with her mask and hoodie off after making sure no one was watching them. If she couldn't help her parents bring a better world, might as well protect those in need.

 

Notes:

Tks for reading! Feel free to comment on your thoughts about the story and speculations. :)
If you wanna chat about my fics, have any suggestions or request or stuff. Feel free to find me on Discord Tenudakin12345#7702