Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Luckyblogger Alya Césaire: Journaling Miraculous Arcane/Occult Events For The Luckyblog
Stats:
Published:
2020-07-27
Updated:
2023-10-07
Words:
190,752
Chapters:
13/?
Comments:
37
Kudos:
122
Bookmarks:
23
Hits:
5,914

Chapter 7: ice cream for all

Summary:

love is in the air... for Halloween? The rapidly approaching Halloween dance takes on a romantic theme when a matchmaking ice cream vendor surfaces; not everyone is smitten with the idea, however

Notes:

Warning: I have been watching magical girl anime while writing; I've put most of the magical girl elements in another story called "Time To Suit Up," but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, I am quite taken with the original PreCure’s premise where the partners have to be on the same wavelength to be at full strength. They won’t need to hold hands, but I think I may make that part of Lady Luck and Karma’s indomitable will and teamwork.

A/N: How the hell did I get through six chapters without once mentioning Nino?!?!?!! Who is one of my absolute favorite characters ever! I have rectified this and given a half-assed but really the only reason I could for disrespecting my boy like I have.

The miraculous ladybug wiki told me Marc is actually taller than Nathaniel and that Nathaniel isn’t really tall, at all. I’m keeping Nathaniel’s height, but I will make Marc taller than Nathaniel. Though probably not by much. As it stands – no pun intended, the students in accordance to height are: Kim, Ivan, Marinette, Ondine, Juleka, Marc, Fei, Nathaniel, Wayhem, Félix, Adrien, Lila, Chloé, Nino, Aurore, Mirelle, Jessica, Alya, Ali, Fran, Sabrina, Mylène, Rose, Kagami, Max, Alix

I started rewatching the origin episode and I hadn’t realized the boulangerie pâtissèrie had their logo on their food. I mean, why wouldn’t they? (the logo is the same but naturally because I flipped the names, it’s ST rather than TS)

Last thing is... this story's Félix is not related to Adrien, so he doesn't look exactly like Adrien with slicked-back hair but he could still be mistaken for Adrien from afar. Same with Wayhem, I suppose?

Chapter Text

Mon, Oct 26th, 2020


Marc frowns at his laptop. Something is missing, but what? “—Anciel!” The blue-haired teen in question gasps, trying to make a grab for the laptop Professeur Mendeleiev lifts from his shared table. “What is this...?” The purple-haired woman skims the screen then frowns, “these are not chemistry notes.” As the class giggles, Marc slinks down in his seat. “I’m going to save your ...work.” Marc watches the professeur wait until his writing is saved before she folds the laptop closed, “you’ll get this back at the end of class. And just a reminder, there is a quiz on this entire chapter tomorrow. If you don’t receive at least seventy percent, I will be calling your grandmother again. Is that clear?”


The class continues to giggle. “Y-Yes, Professeur.”


Marc sighs as Professeur Mendeleiev walks to the front of the classroom with his laptop, then puts it on her desk when she turns to the chalkboard. Ali nudges Marc, “are you alright?” He whispers. Blushing slightly, Marc nods. He could not have picked a worse time to get inspiration for writing. And as for what he was writing...? He was certain the professeur would’ve called him out on it, but fortunately she didn’t. (Writing fanfiction about Lady Luck and Karma taking on a chemistry-based villain and needing his help?)


Alix managed to find Marc’s lost idea notebook on Friday, but a few pages were ripped out and there were footprints all over a few of the remaining pages. Marc is honestly surprised he didn’t get possessed by an akuma with how angry he got upon getting his notebook back. Actually, now that he’s thinking about it, he’s more surprised Alix’s anger hadn’t summoned an akuma, or a group of them (Can more than one akuma appear at a time?) Given Alix’s temper, it’s amazing she hasn’t been possessed by an akuma already? Oh no! Did he just speak it into existence?!


The intercom screeches on. “Attention students! Clara Nightingale here with news that’s prudent~” Most students gape up at the intercom; Marc sees his deskmate, however, look up in confusion. “With the end of my contest, I selected the art piece I deemed the best! I was so moved by this piece, I had to see who wrote with such expertise! The winner of my contest will accompany me to the Louvre on Wednesday as I unveil my art for all to see! I know you are all bubbling with anticipation to hear about who made this wondrous creation! The winner with all the pizzazz is Mlle. Sabrina Raincomprix from Professeur Bustier’s class!” The class collectively gasps in surprise. Sabrina? Raincomprix? “Mlle. Raincomprix submitted art that made my heart sing! A poem titled ‘Butterfly Wings.’


Marc’s eyes widen. What? His phone buzzes half a second later and he takes it out of his hoodie pocket slightly to see a text from Alix: ‘!?!?!?!?!?!!? ARE YOU FUCK—thatfuckingassholesstoleyourpoem!!!!!!!’


Marc may not remember every piece of writing ever written in the notebook, but he distinctively remembers writing that particular poem about all the akuma attacks back in September. Unfortunately, other than his initials on every page – the notebook was monogrammed, a gift from Alix – that could easily be ripped from the page, there is no way for him to prove the poem is actually his. Plus, she could’ve just rewritten the damn thing somewhere else. Furthermore, Sabrina’s father is the police chief who will be inclined to believe his daughter over some random kid. Even though he knows Sabrina is incapable of writing contest-winning poetry. Everyone who was in the same class as her last year knows she’s incapable of writing poetry at all.


Marc’s phone buzzes with another text several seconds later, this time from Kim: ‘aww no, aww fuck no. no way SABRINA is capable of writing poetry. not at ur level. remember this shit she came up with last year?!!? we gotta find a way to prove the work is urs, M! Alix looks pissed enough to sommon a roomful of akumas’


Marc quickly texts Kim back telling him to make sure Alix doesn’t do anything to get suspended, again. (Fortunately, she hasn’t been suspended yet this school year. It’s probably a record.)


As he’s texting Kim, Marinette is next to send a text which is merely a series of angry emojis.


Marc isn’t expecting a ton of texts; it’s not like he has a whole bunch of friends.


Nino is the next person to send him a text, and that’s not surprising considering they’re best friends and he’s the only person who actually read the poem; not only did he read it throughout Marc’s creation but he helped Marc finish: ‘seriously dude!?!? thats so messed up! she’s not getting away with this’


He can’t see Nino from all the way in the back of the classroom and they decided not to sit near each other this year so they could make new friends. So far it’s been working out. Marc got to sit next to then subsequently become friends with Ali and Professeur Mendeleiev put Kagami next to Nino. (Marc’s... not sure how things are going on Nino’s end. Marc hasn’t had much interaction with Kagami himself.)


The next text comes from ...Math? (Wha—? Wh—Oh. Damn auto-correct.) Marc changes the contact to Nath, then has to change it back two more times before it sticks: ‘srry bout ur poem getting stolen. If u get posessed by an akuma over it I’m sure lady luck & karma will understand'


Right. That is another reason he doesn’t want to become possessed by an akuma: having to fight Lady Luck and Karma? Yeah, he’d rather not.


The principal walks into the classroom a bit out of breath, “new student for you, Professeur Mendeleiev.” The class watches the dark-skinned teen with the red and dark brown dreadlocks tied in a pair of low twintails walk into the classroom after the principal motions for them to enter. “Everyone, this is Francine—”


“Actually, Principal Damocles, it’s Frankie.”


“—Oh. My apologies.” Damocles clears his throat, “class, this is Frankie Hill. Coming to us from New York in North America.” The teen waves as they approach the professeur’s desk. “Why not tell your new classmates about yourself, Frankie?”


The teen nods, “certainly. As I stated, my name is Frankie but you may also call me Fran. I am agender. My pronouns are they slash them. I came to Paris from the city of Brooklyn in the state of New York to live with a relative for a new change of pace.”


“Any questions?” Before anyone can say anything the principal claps his hands together, “no? Wonderful. M—Uh... you can—”


Professeur Mendeleiev rolls her eyes, “I got this. Mx. Hill, you can take the empty seat next to Mlle. Wǔ in the back. Mlle. Wǔ, can you raise your hand please?” The aforementioned teen in the desk across from Marc and Ali raises her hand. Nodding, Frankie walks over to the desk.


“B-Before I go...” The principal clears his throat, “this is a reminder that your grade-wide Halloween dance is this Saturday, which happens to be Halloween. And the last day to submit class dues for it is Thursday. Please use this time to discuss... things, as I speak with your professeur. Tomorrow, all the quatrième class representatives will come together and decide on an overall theme for the dance.”


“Cutting it kinda close, isn’t it?” Ari asks raising her hand.


Jessica also raises her hand, “where will the dance take place, Principal Damocles?”


“Yes, and right here in the school.” Both girls lower their hands.


While the principal and professeur talk, Marc replies to the rest of his texts.


✍🏾


As Professeur Blake dismisses the class, Chloé enters the classroom and looks around. “Who is the representative for this class?” A few fingers point at the blue-haired girl wearing the red sundress in the front row gathering her stuff together as they pass the blonde. Mireille stares blankly at Chloé when the blonde points at her, “you, you’re eating lunch with me today. Let’s go.” The blonde turns to leave.


“But, wait a minute—”


Chloé groans, “what?”


“Why am I eating lunch with you?”


“Caquet, Caquet, Caquet.” Chloé tsks turning back around, “use your brain. Why else would I want to eat lunch with another class representative? We’re gonna discuss the theme for the dance. I won’t wait until tomorrow, it needs to be taken care of now. The difference a mere twenty-four hours could make is crucial. The other representatives are heading toward my towncar as we speak. Let’s get a move on, shall we?”


“O-Okay.” Mireille quickly finishes gathering her belongings then follows after the blonde who already left the classroom. The blue-haired teen adjusts the strap of her bag as she hustles out of the building, passing by the students who stop and stare as she rushes by. Shielding her eyes from the sun as she exits the school, Mireille recognizes some of the other quatrième class representative either inside or getting inside the towncar before she gets in herself.


Inside, Mireille sits next to Mylène and greets the shy teen who returns the greeting. Wait , Mylène isn’t a class representative. Oh, right. She almost always eats lunch with Chloé. Poor girl. Mireille got lucky this year not having to be in the same classroom as the blonde. Chloé gets in the towncar after Mireille and the last to enter is Sabrina. “Aren’t we waiting for Adrien?” The orange-haired teen when the door closes behind her.


Chloé purses her lips, “no.” Sabrina eyes the blonde who puts her purse on her lap. “Jean-Rouge, take us to the hotel.”


“Right away, Mlle. Bourgeois.”


“What did Adrien—”


“We’re not here to discuss Adrien, Sabrina, we’re here to talk about the dance.” The orange-haired teen opens her mouth then promptly closes it, sitting back. “Now, let’s come up with some ideas, people. I’m treating you all to lunch but if you don’t get ideas you don’t eat. Simple. As. That.” The other representatives look among themselves worriedly.


“I-It’s a Halloween dance, right?” Jean, the representative from Professeur Clark’s class, begins, “let’s do something spooky.”


Chloé sits back with a huff as she makes a buzzer noise, “yeah, that’s gonna be a no . Hard pass.” The brunet does a double-take at her. “We’re not doing that sad, tired, done over and over again idea. I want this to be the best dance in François Düpont history! Something no one would expect. Something Clarissa Auclair would put her stamp of approval on! That’s why we’re having this meeting.”


“I’m surprised you’re actually trying to do anything, Chloé.” The representative from Professeur Blake’s class, Murphy, says frowning. “You weren’t all that willing to help with last year’s after New Years’ dance.”


The blonde rolls her eyes, “stay stuck in the past if you want, Jones, but we’re talking about this year’s dance.” The black-haired teen huffs.


“Clarissa Auclair is the premiere party planner. Why would she bother with something like a school dance?” Mireille asks.


“Because it’ll be the school dance to top all school dances, that’s why. And a premiere party planner won’t want to miss a premiere party in the happening.” The blonde snaps her fingers, “so let’s come up with ideas. Remember, your lunches are on the line.”


Over the course of the next few minutes, Chloé becomes increasingly frustrated with the lack of usable ideas these other representatives are giving. If this is the best, she’s doomed. No wonder she’s never cared about any event before! These representatives are all worthless! Utterly worthless! And how damn long is this ride?!? When the towncar door mercifully, Chloé gets out first and stretches. Maybe a change of scenery will help? Here’s hoping. Sabrina stumbles out behind her and Chloé catches the girl before she faceplants onto the sidewalk. “Thanks.” Her head snaps up and she does a double-take. “Hey, wait a second! What’s an ice cream vendor doing in front of the hotel...? In late October?”


Once Sabrina is standing on her own two feet without risk of falling, Chloé turns to the cheery vendor standing behind some ancient, beat-up looking, old school ice cream cart. It’s utterly... unkempt. And in front of her hotel too? Utterly unacceptable!


The other representatives get out of the towncar then start murmuring about how ice cream may help them think.


Chloé rolls her eyes, “utterly ridiculous...” She mutters, “shut up!” They all turn to the blonde, wide-eyed. “Ice cream in October? How utterly ridiculous are you lot?”


“Come on, Chloé, what’s the harm? A little dessert never stopped anyone’s thinking process.”


Chloé shakes her head, “I don’t know what I expected from Beauréal’s best friend.” Mireille scoffs, “listen, I’m in a generous mood today. I’ll see if the tacky, extremely sketchy vendor takes credit cards, I don’t carry cash around like a poor person. If he doesn’t, you’ll be paying for your ice cream yourselves. And if this doesn’t help you come up with ideas, I will make this school year nightmare worthy.” Everyone gulps. The blonde puts on her fashionista-paparazzi smile as she walks over to the vendor, “hey,” The man turns to her, “they want ice cream.” Sabrina pointedly clears her throat and Chloé glances at the girl. Her eyes dart to the man and it takes a second for Chloé to get it but when she does, she sighs, “please.” She smiles, “do you accept credit cards? Or maybe cheques? I don’t have any notes. Sabrina, do you have cash?” The orange-haired teen shakes her head. “Do you have lowfat ice cream? Or lactose free?”


The man chuckles, “isn’t this particular group lucky? For you see, today my ice cream is free!” The group cheers, “and I have all the ice cream flavors your life will need, you’ll find that none before you have disagreed.”


“I—” Chloé shakes her head, “back up. Did you say this ice cream is free?” The blonde huffs a laugh, “what’s wrong with it? Is it expired?”


The vendor laughs heartily and Chloé’s right eyebrow twitches, “my flavors cannot be beaten, and I assure you this ice cream can be eaten!” As the others cheer again, Chloé sighs heavily, “I am André, the matchmaking ice cream vendor! I fill hearts and stomachs with splendor!”


Sabrina groans, “he is really nudging it with these rhymes.”


“Has to make a living somehow, I suppose.” Chloé utters.


“Not giving away free ice cream.”


“Maybe it’s like a sample or a special or something?” Sabrina agrees with a shrug. “Listen, you ‘filling hearts with splendor,’” She air-quotes, “from ice cream is the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever heard!” Chloé laughs, “this is one hell of a gimmick, I’ll give you that.”


“I can tell by your steely gaze, the heaviness your heart weighs.”


The blonde immediately stops laughing, “excuse me?”


“You think this is a lie? Why not give my ice cream a try? If you have a particular love in your heart, step forward and I shall tell you if you will be together or apart! My ice cream is meant, to represent the love your life will advent!”


“I hate rhyming. It’s giving me a headache.” Sabrina grumbles, “hey, I’ll step up if you stop rhyming.”


“Think of it as a limerick, after all rhyming is my... gimmick.” Chloé’s eyes narrow when André raises an eyebrow at her.


“Whatever. Just—” Sabrina wiggles her fingers, “get to the analyzing or whatever? We don’t have all lunch break. We have a dance theme to come up with.”


André nods with a smile, “very well, Mademoiselle. This love entrances you like the finest spell! Gather around to see this love abound!” The other representatives skeptically and curiously surround the vendor’s cart. André opens one compartment and picks up a reddish brown ice cream cone then closes that compartment to open another. “This love you have is tricky, because it will define or divide your loyalty.” Sabrina suspiciously stares at the cone then at the man holding it. “Hmm... selecting the perfect color is a difficult task, it’s something you cannot hide with a mask. To test your mettle, rose is the flavor on which I will settle.” André scoops a pinkish-red spoonful of ice cream onto the cone. “Next? Let’s see... see! Ah! You do not always see with your eyes. Have a bit of blue raspberry, reminiscent of the twinkling skies.” Everyone watches him scoop some light blue ice cream onto the pinkish-red. Then he puts a bright pink spoon into the ice cream cone. “Is this truly the ice cream for you, you wonder? But you know your feelings are growing stronger, the longer you ponder.”


A wide-eyed Sabrina wordlessly accepts the ice cream cone handed to her. “Who is next? Put your love to the test!” Sabrina continues to stare at her ice cream.


“Sabrina!” The bespectacled teen snaps out of her stupor and stares up at Chloé folding her arms over her chest sneering, “why are you staring at it like that? Like it’s holding all of life’s answers or something! For God sake, it’s just ice cream! You don’t really believe his shit, do you?” Sabrina blinks, looking at Chloé then back at her ice cream. “No, Sabrina! The answer is no!”


“Y-Yeah, I-I know.” Sabrina sputters, “I-I don’t...” She scoffs, “it’s all rhyming headache-inducing nonsense.” She eyes the cone again, “b-but it’s also free ice cream. Makes no sense to waste it?”


“I suppose.”


“Want just a bit? I know you don’t eat dessert before lunch but I don’t think it’ll make it to the penthouse.”


“I’ll pass but thank you.” Shrugging, Sabrina scoops some of the rose and blue raspberry together with the spoon and takes a bite. It’s not terrible—ah hell, what is she saying? It’s delicious! This might be the best ice cream she’s ever eaten! Chloé watches on as André gestures wildly as he hands out another ice cream cone.


When the blonde checks the time on her phone, Sabrina frowns at her ice cream mid-bite. This ice cream is supposed to resemble someone, isn’t it? What was with all that shit about metal and loyalty? None of those have anything to do with ice cream flavors. Wouldn’t metal be silver or grey? And her feelings growing longer as she ponders? Why is her brain choosing now to draw blanks?


Sabrina angrily eats the rest of her infuriatingly delicious, confusing ice cream as she tries and fails to think about who it could be. The colors almost look like—Lady Luck! The bespectacled orange-haired teen gasps. She may not like Lady Luck as much as Karma, but she’ll take it! Who’d disagree with having a superhero love interest? Chloé may not appreciate Sabrina being “fated” to the love of her life though.


“Ah wait! I see there is someone I missed! Do you not want to see if you too are awaited bliss?” Gulping, Mylène tentatively steps toward the cart. Everyone else has their ice cream already and are eating. “I will tell you what’s in store, for I am honored to witness feelings so pure!” André happily picks up a cone, “to begin? Pistachio, for the kindness within! These feelings you have are shared! Why not top off your ice cream with a little pear?” André drops two different greenish scoops of ice cream onto the cone.


Pear and pistachio!?” Chloé shouts startling Mylène, “you’re not seriously going to eat that, are you Mylène?”


“I-I don’t want to waste ice cream.”


The blonde growls in frustration, “you are all so... ridiculous! Utterly ridiculous! You have your damn ice cream, and if you are all finished wasting time we can go inside to—”


André tsks, “not so fast, your time has come at last.”


The other representatives nervously watch the exchange. “My?” Chloé laughs harshly, “that’s cute. Oh no, no, no. I don’t think so, Monsieur. I was fine watching you fool these brainless dolts but don’t think you’ll do the same to me. See. My heart? It’s already filled with love, thank you very much. Love for Lady Luck. Naturally, anyone as exceptional as her could only have the true love of someone as exceptional as me. It’s just common sense. So I already know my true love. No reason to waste time with your ‘heart splendoring’ nonsense, unless your ice cream comes in red and black polkadots. So thank you, but I’m not interested. Besides, I was raised to never eat dessert before a meal.”


“Of course. That’s ideal, it helps to sweeten the meal.” The vendor gives Chloé a cryptic smile that makes her eyes narrow. “However, Mademoiselle, I fear the love you desire is not the love your heart requires.”


“What?”


“For one who appears thick skinned,” He continues without missing a beat, “true happiness stems from within.” André picks up a black ice cream cone. “You feel putting up this illusion is your only solution. Lavender, a flavor not easy to pair; it needs something bold. Something with flair! Lemon can be seen as sour. Like lavender, it often has a tendency to overpower.” André scoops up a bluish-purple spoonful of ice cream then drops a yellow one on top of it. “You are rightfully suspicious, but you’ll see this flavor combination is quite delicious! You’ll see so true that this flavor is uniquely you.”


“Uniquely...? Of course I’m unique!” Chloé screams. “I don’t need ice cream to tell me that I’m unique! I’m Fucking Charmainé Cloris Bourgeois! And I’m not taking your bullshit garbage ice cream!” She loudly claps her hands together startling everyone, “in the hotel! Now!” The other representatives all but run inside the building.


While Chloé is distracted, Sabrina walks over to André. “Excuse me? I’ll, uh, take it.” She whispers, “what flavors did you say these were? I didn’t hear.”


“Lemon and lavender. Sounds like a strange combination but getting the flavors just right creates such a marvelous sensation!”


Shhhh!”


“Sabrina?” The girl in question flinches, “what? Are? You? Doing?”


Sabrina slowly turns to the blonde narrowing her eyes. “I-I know you don’t want it, b-but it sounds like something I’d wanna try?”


Chloé rolls her eyes, “uh-huh. You’re hopeless, you know what right? Utterly hopeless. Swayed by the words of a crazed rhyming lunatic giving out free sweetened frozen dairy. You should cut your sugar intake, Sabrina. It’s clearly messing with your brain.” Chloé jerks her head toward the building, “let’s go. You’re just lucky I’m willing to entertain your delusion and not throw that sugary nonsense into the garbage where it belongs.” Nodding, Sabrina begins walking toward the hotel entrance. Shaking her head, Chloé begins walking as well.


“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery yes, but to continue to act like her it’s only yourself you suppress.”


Chloé and Sabrina both freeze then turn to André slowly, “...what did you just say?” The former hisses.


“Remember, not all is as it may seem! Keep that in mind as you enjoy your ice cream!”


Sabrina stares at the smiling ice cream vendor then Chloé as her face slowly begins to turn red. Sabrina uses her free hand to pull the blonde along inside the hotel and toward the elevator. Everyone gives them wide berth as they walk past.


Continue to act like her? Her who? Oh! Of course! It’s gotta be Audrey! Duh. Who else could it be? (Her brain must still not be working.) Inside the elevator, Sabrina looks down at the ice cream in her hands. The colors... they sorta represent Chloé. Sabrina looks up at the blonde who has her palms against her eyes. Eyes. The purplish blue is Chloé’s eyes. Then the yellow’s gotta be for her hair. But why the black cone? No one else got a black cone.


Sabrina’s eyes widen in realization. If she’s understanding this correctly... and if the ice cream guy isn’t just blowing spoonfuls of frozen dairy out of his ass, Chloé’s ice cream is about loving herself! Loving herself instead of loving and hating the miniature Audrey she’s become. Sabrina remembers a time Chloé was much happier just being herself and not trying to impress slash emulate her mother. It was so long ago though! As Audrey’s brand got bigger and bigger, Chloé tried harder and harder to get herself involved with it, by whatever means necessary. Not that Sabrina was much help trying to sway her not to. She also changed to be acceptable in Audrey’s eyes. Even if Audrey never remembers her name. And now that Audrey just loves Marinette, things are even more difficult. (If Chloé didn’t already hate Marinette, she’d hate her just by all the praise Audrey gives her.)


If Chloé’s ice cream is about self-love, Sabrina has to wonder if hers is truly Lady Luck? Then again, why couldn’t it be? She’s just as capable of getting Lady Luck’s love as anyone else. Nah. There’s no way Lady Luck is Sabrina Raincomprix’s true love. But who else is pinkish-red and blue? Guess, she’ll have to start searching.


✍🏾


Clara Nightingale visited Professeur Bustier’s class and Nathaniel told them Sabrina had the fucking gall to blatantly lie about Marc’s stolen poem and made up some bullshit, nonsensical reason behind her writing it. Alix had to be escorted out of the classroom by Marinette and Ivan the second Clara begin gushing.


Nino knows Marc wrote that poem because of the onslaught of akuma attacks over the course of the past month. He said they should call her out, but Marc said without physical proof Sabrina – a known liar and thief with absolutely no poetry writing skills (last year was a cringe worthy embarrassment Nino does not want to even attempt reminiscing about) – could and would spin the tale in her favor simply by phoning her police chief papa. Who’d simply be inclined to believe her based on their familial relationship.


Nathaniel sent them a text of Chloé’s surprised face both when the announcement was made and when Clara Nightingale hugged Sabrina. Judging by her expression, the blonde had no idea about the poem. Chloé was not a good actress. She didn’t need to be, all she had to do was call her papa whenever something didn’t go her way. If Chloé knew ahead of time she would’ve over acted. They’ve all seen it happen. Still, it’s not often Sabrina and Chloé leave the other out of their scheming.


Nino saw Mireille leave the school with Sabrina, Chloé, and a bunch of other semi-familiar kids – the representatives of the other seven quatrième classes. Chloé was loudly grumbling something about not having enough time for this damn dance. And why all the grades had their own private dances was something Nino always wondered. Didn’t matter though. He wasn’t going, never did.


Professeur Blake held Marc back in class because he was, once again, writing instead of doing schoolwork and he got a(nother) lecture because of it.


Nino’s waiting by the entrance with his bag when Marc runs over to him. “‘Sup, Dude!” Nino greets. Marc adjusts his bag strap then takes a big gulp of air. “I told you, you didn’t have to run.”


“I know but I’m starving. I don’t think I can go far.”


Nino laughs, “then let’s go see Mme. C. at the boulangerie pâtissèrie. Think you can walk that far?”


Marc groans dramatically, “I hope so.”


Nino laughs then they exit the building seeing a blond sitting on top of the steps staring at his phone. From afar he kinda looks like Félix, but when they get closer they see it’s someone else. “Are you alright?” Nino asks.


The blond flinches then squints up at Nino and Marc. “Hm? O-Oh, y-yeah. I’m good. Just deciding on what I want to eat.” He pauses, “...I have to decide on what I want to eat.” He whispers. Nino and Marc exchange a questioning glance over the blond’s head. The blond turns back to them. “Sorry. I-I’m Adrien.”


“Marc,” He jerks his head back, “that’s Nino.” The bespectacled teen waves. “You know, we’re about to get a bite from the boulangerie pâtissèrie across the street? Wanna join us?”


Nino watches the blond’s green eyes widen considerably. “Y-Yes!” He jumps to his feet, “I’d love to! Thank you so m—” He clears his throat, “I mean, thank you. You really saved me. I was starting to get a little overwhelmed with so many choices.” He chuckles awkwardly. The blond fidgets a bit when he and Marc greet with a cheek kiss, then again when he and Nino greet each other.


The three of them make their way to Sabine & Tom Boulangerie Pâtissèrie. It’s not a far walk so they just walk there in silence. Fortunately, it’s not an awkward silence. Adrien’s had one too many of those in his lifetime.


When they enter Sabine & Tom Boulangerie Pâtissèrie, a blue-haired woman who looks exactly like Marinette, just shorter... and wearing her shorter hair in a bob rather than twintails slash buns that Marinette alternates, talking to a redhead. “Welcome to Sabine & Tom Boulangerie Pâtissèrie!” The woman greets as she hears the chime overhead, “I’m Sabine, I’ll be with you in just a second!”


“It’s just us, Mme. C., don’t worry about it.” Nino announces.


The redhead turns around and Adrien realizes he’s never seen that kid’s entire face before as his left side is covered by his bright red hair. “H-Hello.” The redhead’s visible eye narrows then he turns back around.


“Dude...” Nino whispers in awe, “never seen Nath look so pissed. What did you do to him?”


“W-What? I-I did? Nothing! I-I’ve never even spoken to him before!”


Humming, Nino walks over to the redhead nudging him in the side, “what’s up?”


Nathaniel frowns at Nino, “why are you hanging out with him?” He grumbles. Nino blinks at the redhead which makes his frown deepen, “Nino... you don’t know who that is?”


“Should I?”


Nathaniel sighs, “well, no wonder you brought him here. You never would’ve otherwise.” The redhead turns around, staring at Adrien. “He’s one of Chloé’s 'buddies.'” The blond flinches.


Marc stares at the blond with a neutral expression. Adrien tries to shrink in on himself. Helps that he’s shorter than both Nathaniel and Marc. “If you’re a close friend of Chloé,” Adrien slowly looks at him with a wince, “why are you here now? Why didn’t you leave and eat lunch with her? She’s always bragging about going back to her fabulous hotel for lunch with her ‘important’ friends.”


Adrien rubs the back of his neck, “Chlo—é is a bit... mad at me.” Nathaniel folds his arms over his chest and Nino nods along. “I-Well, the other day? Um, during the gaming tournament? Where Sabrina and Chloé became those figure skating akumas? Afterwards, I wanted to tryout for Juleka’s band—I mean Kitty Section—because I’ve always wanted to play music with other people... with friends. But Chloé didn’t want me to tryout. She didn’t want me to get involved. She claimed it wouldn’t be worth my time. B-But I—even if I didn’t get in, I wanted to tryout anyway. A-Anyway, after the tournament I went to Juleka’s houseboat and Chloé met me there to give me one more chance to back out but I didn’t. Then she came on the boat with me I guess trying to convince everyone not to let me in while looking like she was on my side. I-I don’t know why but they let me join Kitty Section as their pianist.” The blond blushes, “t-they even said they’ll help making my outfit during All Saints’ break next week.” Adrien’s blush darkens, “s-sorry, I-I’m just really excited about this opportunity.” Pausing, Adrien gasps, “oh no! I just realized my parents will be furious if they ever found out!” He puts both hands on his face, “m-my heart. It’s pounding.” He starts hyperventilating.


“I-It could be an anxiety attack?” Marc rushes over to Adrien rubbing circles into his back, “deep breaths.”


“I think you’re just running on adrenaline.” Sabine says calmly, “sounds to me like this is the first time you’ve ever, well, deliberately defied your parents. It’s both terrifying and exciting, right? That’s the feeling you have now?” Adrien nods, “your first instance of rebelling can get a tad... overwhelming. Like Marc said, take deep breaths. I’m not openly advising you to disobey your parents or anything but it will get easier the longer you go at it.”


Nathaniel narrows his eye, “this could all be a ploy.” He mutters.


“How can this face be sinister?” Marc puts his fingers on the side of the blond’s mouth pushing them up to make him smile, though it comes out more like a grimace, “it has dimples and dimples are never evil.”


Nathaniel rolls his right eye before turning back to the counter. “Dude,” Nino hisses elbowing him, “he’s having an anxiety attack. I thought you of all people would be sympathetic.”


Nathaniel scowls, “I empathize, I do. I just can’t... help someone who openly befriends one of my tormentors.”


“Dude, that’ll make you above and beyond them if you do.”


Nathaniel turns back to Adrien who has his breathing under control now. With a sigh, he walks over to the blond. “Stretching helps with my anxiety attacks.” The blond looks up at him, wide-eyed. “Or drawing. It’s what got me into drawing. You just need to do something distracting.” Adrien continues to stare, “that’s all the help I’m giving you.” Then he walks past Nino back to the counter.


Marc puts a hand on Adrien’s shoulder startling him, “feeling better?”

“Y-Yeah, thanks. That was kinda scary.”


“Let’s get some food into you.”


Sabine smiles as Adrien approaches the counter with Marc. Nathaniel is leaning against the wall staring at them. “Hello there. What would you like to order?”


“Order...?” Adrien looks up at the menu in awe. So many things.


“My daughter Marinette has celiac disease. She can’t ingest gluten so everything we make in house is gluten free.” Sabine continues to smile at the wide-eyed blond, no doubt overwhelmed by the selections, “...if I may make a suggestion?” Adrien looks down at her. “Why not try a free sample? Today’s special is a red bean paste eclair. You... don’t have any food allergies, do you?” Adrien shakes his head. “Okay. If it turns out you are, we have epi-pens on standby.” The blond watches the blue-haired woman take a pâtissèrie from under the crystal cloche with a napkin with “ST” beautifully written on it, then hands it to him. “Enjoy.”


Adrien gently accepts the eclair from her, holding it by the napkin liner on the bottom. The eclair itself also has the same symbol, like, etched into it. That’s amazing. “T-This is free?” Sabine nods. “T-Thank you.”


“Don’t tell me you’ve never had a free sample before?” Nino asks.


“No, never. My parents tell me repeatedly nothing in life is free.”


“Come on, Dude.” Nino grabs Adrien by the shoulders steering him toward the table in the corner of the boulangerie pâtissèrie. Once they sit down, Adrien stares at the eclair in his hands. Nino shakes his head, “it’s not gonna bite. You’re the one that has to do the biting.” Adrien looks up from the eclair at Nino, then looks back down at the pâtissèrie before taking a hesitant bite. His eyes widen, the moment his mouth makes contact. Nino gapes when tears run down Adrien’s face. “Uh... Adrien?”


Sniffling, the blond wipes his eyes with his shirt sleeve, “s-sorry, I don’t know what came over me. It’s just...” He sniffles again. “This is the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my life.” He takes another bite, this time much larger.


“This is heartbreaking.” Marc whispers to Nathaniel who sighs, “still think it’s a ploy?”


The redhead scoffs. “Even Émilie Graham de Vanily is not that good of an actor.” He grumbles as they walk toward the table.


Sabine walks over to the table and hands Adrien another eclair. “Here. On the house.” The door chimes and Sabine breathes a sigh of relief. “Marinette!” She runs over to her daughter, grabbing her by the arm and taking her to behind the counter. “I am very worried about that boy.” She whispers as she gestures to Adrien.


“Māmā,” Marinette sighs, “for the thousandth time, you can’t adopt Nino.”


“Bullshit. I adopted Alix, didn’t I?”


“...True.”


“I’m going to keep trying. His stepmother will slip up sooner or later, and I’ll be ready with the adoption papers. But I wasn’t talking about Nino this time. I’m talking about the blond.”


Him?” Sabine puts a finger to her lips, “why?” Marinette whispers.


“He cried eating an eclair! Is he getting abused at home?”


“Doubtful.” Sabine gives her that look, and Marinette groans, “māmā, I don’t know! I don’t know the kid. And I doubt you’d be able to adopt him even if he was getting abused at home.” Marinette rolls her eyes, “but like I said, it’s doubtful. He’s one of Chloé’s friends.”


“So I’ve heard. Need I remind you that you are on a roller derby team with ‘one of Chloé’s friends?’”


“Not by choice.” Marinette mutters.


“Marinette Lei Dupain-Cheng, I know Tom and I raised you better than this!” Marinette flinches then she frowns. “Need I also remind you, Chloé does not have the most stable of living environments or a great parental support system; if she has a support system at all. Chloé is horrible, yes. All of Paris knows that. But everyone always blames the child for their behavior but behavior like hers is ingrained. Taught. From her parents and those around them. I’ve spoken to both of that girl’s parents and I am completely blaming them for raising her they way they have or whoever they paid to raise her. But that’s not the point. This has nothing to do with Chloé. I don’t care who that boy is or isn’t ‘friends’ with. This has nothing to do with that. It’s about that boy and only that boy. And that boy?” Marinette glances at Adrien taking a huge bite of an eclair, “is clearly unhappy with his home life. And to be honest, I don’t even know if it’s all that safe. He had a full-blown anxiety attack at the mere thought of disobeying his parents.” Marinette folds her arms over her chest, as Sabine gathers a bag full of eclairs and walks over to Adrien.


The blond blushes, “o-oh no, I-I couldn’t possibly—”


“Please do. I insist. I’m happy you enjoy them so much.” Adrien nods slowly. Sabine pats him on the shoulder then heads back to behind the counter, giving her frowning daughter a knowing look.


Marinette puts her hands up in defense, “sorry māmā, I’m not getting involved. You should talk to Kim. He already fawns all over him. I’m sure he’d be more than willing to dig into the kid’s personal history.” Sabine frowns as Marinette walks up the steps. She can’t truly fault Marinette’s callousness; excluding that poor Mylène girl – who is another one Sabine is looking into adopting – people with a connection to Chloé Bourgeois haven’t been all that nice to her daughter or any of her daughter’s friends. The only odd exception is Audrey Bourgeois. But that’s another story. Sabine sighs. She suppose she’ll have to do the “digging” herself.


With a decisive nod, Sabine prepares some beverages for the boys at the table.


“...You’ve never had an eclair before?” Nathaniel asks watching the blond tear through the bag Sabine gave him.


Adrien shakes his head, “my parents... oh man.” He begins chuckling somewhat hysterically, “my parents are gonna lose their minds! They might even get possessed by an akuma.” His hysterical laughter has the other occupants of the table eyeing one another uneasily. The blond wipes his eyes, “they plan all my meals out for me, in advance. I’ve never done anything like this before. My first real act of ‘rebelling’ was running out of the house and running all the way to school like I did last month.”


“Why did you run out of your house?” Marc asks.


Adrien sighs, “my parents promised me they’d look into schools for me. It’s something they’ve ‘promised’ since I was nine. After I saw Chloé and Sabrina all dressed up in their uniforms. I thought I could ‘live a normal life’ where I’d make real friends and make my own decisions...” He sighs again, “but they reneged at the last second. Like they always do. Claiming to be ‘too busy’ and that they’ll try again next year.”


“They must hope you’d stop asking if you keep getting denied.” Marc reasons.


“I did think about giving up when I saw an old man hobbling outside the gate and I didn’t even think, I just ran to him before the gate could close. I helped him pick up his cane and walked him across the street. My parents’ personal assistant, Nathalie, called out for me but... I ran. And I kept running until I saw François Düpont. I’ve only seen the school when my towncar drove by it that one time. It... was a bit of a farther walk than I though it would be.”


“It’s a miracle they let you keep going to school.” Marc says in awe. “I mean... you technically didn’t disobey them by going since they never said you couldn’t go... just that they were too busy to enroll you.”


“Yeah, that was... unusual. Still trying to figure it out, to be honest.”


“How did you even get enrolled?” Nino asks.


“Chloé was going to forge my maman’s signature but she didn’t have to! Nathalie filed all the paperwork and had my parents both e-sign. I’m grateful for them giving me this shot but they have all these stipulations attached, and I’m sure if I mess up even one I’ll be pulled from François Düpont!”


“But aren’t your parents like mega celebrities?” Nathaniel asks.


“Y-Yes... but they’re also agoraphobic. Papa especially. He has his whole design studio in the basement. And everything he could ever need is in the house, and if it isn’t he just has Nathalie get it. Maman leaves the house when I have photoshoots, or when she has to shoot a movie. She never seems very happy about it though.”


“Dude...” Nino hums, “your life sounds like a villain origin story.”


Adrien barks out a laugh, “I can see that happening.” He clears his throat, “his parents kept the leash around him too tight so he knew he had to break free.” Nino and Marc laugh, especially as the blond uses a movie trailer announcer voice.


“Nathaniel can even make you a villain costume.” Nino suggests. The redhead makes a seesawing motion with one hand as he eats the rest of his macaron with the other.


Adrien chuckles, “I’d appreciate that.” He takes a deep breath, “I never told anyone all this. Chloé and Sabrina already know how my parents are so I’ve never had to speak about them. This feels... cathartic to get it all off my chest. And all it took was an anxiety attack to get it going.”


Nino pats him on the back, “just let it all out then. We still got time before we have to head back.”


“Okay.” Adrien nods, “I hate modeling!” Nino, Marc, and Nathaniel stare at the blond. “I mean, I used to like it but my parents sucked all the fun out of it when maman had to ‘approve’ every photoshoot location and that I could only wear my papa’s clothing. And I hate my papa’s fashion sense! Why is he so obsessed with insects? The Agreste® symbol kind of looks like a pair of butterfly wings. And I don’t know why maman does silent films! And now they want to get me into acting! I-I just don’t know what I—”


Adrien startles when Sabine sets out mugs in front of all of them. “Ooh, is this what I think it is?” Nino rubs his hands together. “You’re the best, Mme. C! I really don’t tell you that enough.” Sabine chuckles. Nino, Nathaniel, and Marc eagerly thank the blue-haired woman before drinking.


“Thank you for all of this, Mme. Cheng.”


“It’s my pleasure.” She walks back to the counter humming.


Adrien wraps both hands around the mug, embracing the warmth, as he takes a sip. It’s like everything she puts her hands on ends up delicious! He has to find a way to pay her for all her kindness. Looking around the shop, Adrien notices the tip jar on the counter by the chalkboard with the “sweet treat of the day” on it.


Marinette trots down the stairs with a duffel bag in her hands. “Yo Marinette! Off to hide a body?” Nino asks.


Adrien watches the girl smile with a wink then exit the shop. “Can I ask you all a question? Why do Chloé and Marinette hate each other?” They all suck in a breath.


After a few seconds in which none of them move, Nino sighs heavily allowing the other two to exhale. “Alright. I’ll tell you.” He shoots Nathaniel and Marc dirty looks before sighing again. “Sixième.” Adrien tilts his head to the left, “I was there. We all were. First day of sixième, Marinette had on this blue dress with little red and white dragonflies all over it. Made it herself. Alix helped with the sticking bits. Alix and Marinette have been best friends since any of us have met them. If someone has a problem with one of them, they usually have a problem with both. Anyway, when all of us arrived – the three of us plus Marinette and Alix, Kim was running late, everyone was complimenting Marinette on her clothes and her little winged socks asking her where she got them. Across the courtyard, a certain someone didn’t like all the attention she was losing so she stomped over to Marinette and made some comment about insects being dirty then she dumped her drink all over Marinette’s dress. Of course, before she could laugh, Alix immediately punched her in the face.”


Adrien winces. “Since then, she’s hated both of them.” Nathaniel finishes with a shrug. “The only reason Alix didn’t get expelled was because school technically didn’t start and Chloé was too embarrassed to admit she got beaten up by anyone, let alone someone so small and with just one punch.”


“Wait, beat up?”


“Maybe ‘beat up’ isn’t the best term but Chloé did get knocked out flat. Hit the ground immediately. Even before Alix pulled her fist back. A one-hit K.O.; it was like One-Punch Man! And I doubt Alix was using half her full strength.” Nino says before taking another sip from his mug then frowns when he doesn’t get anything. He lowers his mug to look into it and sees that it’s empty. “Anyway,” He puts his mug down, “Chloé wore an oversized pair of sunglasses to school every day until the bruises faded and no professeur asked her any questions or made her take the sunglasses off.”


"I heard Alix actually broke Chloé's nose." Marc muses.


Nino whistles, "really? Damn." 


“And as for why Marinette and Alix hate Chloé, well maybe not hate, probably just... dislike immensely?” Adrien grimaces but nods, “she always seemed to go above and beyond just to make their lives miserable!” Marc sighs, “and by extension, the rest of ours.”


✍🏾


Lila walks in the artroom and looks around. There are various projects strewn around all over. Alya is rolling over a blackboard with pictures of Lady Luck, Karma, an akuma, and an amok feather. There are multiple newspaper headlines cut out, along with different colored lines attached to ...things. “Feels like I walked into a murder mystery!” She greets cheerfully.


“There is mystery no doubt,” Max replies, “no murders yet though.”


Lila hums then walks over to Alya as the slightly shorter teen writes on the blackboard, “how does one obtain superpowers?” Lila reads aloud. “Kind of a vague question, isn’t it? I mean, there are so many ways.”


The chalk in Alya’s hand snaps in two. Sighing, she puts down one half and presses the other against the blackboard. “I’m well aware of that. I’m also aware that it’s been almost two months since Mite and Méfait first appeared, bitching about nabbing Lady Luck and Karma’s miraculouses, yet according to all the akuma victims videos and testimonies nobody who got possessed by an akuma seems to know what the miraculouses are! They’re obviously what give the four of them their respective powers but you’d think Mite would explain what she’s actually looking for!” The orange-haired teen grumbles to herself, thumping her head against the blackboard.


“Maybe that’s why she’s been unsuccessful?” Max guesses. “Her one-track mind of gathering the miraculouses has eluded her to the most basic facts.”


“It’s really bothering you, isn’t it?” Lila pats Alya on the back, “don’t worry about it. I’ll help you.” Alya slowly turns her head toward Lila, “I know what the miraculouses ar—”


Eyes widening, Alya puts both hands over Lila’s mouth muffling the rest of the brunette’s sentence. “Markov!”


“Aye aye. Beginning scan.” Lila’s eyes widen as a green light emits from Markov’s face while he does a complete scan of the classroom. “Room secure. No bugs found.”


Alya sighs in relief removing her hands, “you can’t just blurt something like that out!”


“Paranoid, much?” Lila giggles, “relax. We’re safe, I promise.” The brunette pulls her necklace out from under her shirt, “see this cornicello? It was passed down in my family for generations of generations! Cornicellos are symbols of good luck in Italy. That’s because ancient luck spirits used to live within the cornicellos. Of course, there’s no spirit in my necklace. Not anymore. But when my bisnonna had the cornicello, she used it to be a superhero! She used to tell me all the time about her heroic tales.”


Alya’s eyes light up, “whoa! That’s incredible!”


“Y-Yes... but irrelevant.” Max adds. “unless you’re saying the miraculouses are also ancient, magical jewelry?”


“That is exactly what I am saying, Max! My bisnonna was the original Lady Luck. She wasn’t calling herself that though. And this was in Italy. Way before pictures and internet and stuff. But there are ancient depictions of her throughout Italy’s history. Miraculouses are world jewels. There are... about one-hundred in total! And they change with each holder!” Lila puts her necklace back in her shirt. “I could tell you more. Maybe over the luckyblog?”


“No.”


“Cool, we—” Lila does a double-take, “no?”


“No.” Alya repeats shaking her head. “Girl, have you lost it? Why would we put this on the luckyblog? The luckyblog was created, first and foremost, to help Lady Luck and Karma. Whether it be to let the city see how incredibly awesome and badass they are and how much we appreciate them, or to just let them know where an akuma or amok is. Having you confirm what the miraculouses are isn’t gonna help them. They already know what the miraculouses are, civilians don’t. What if there are Mite and Méfait sympathizers who view the luckyblog? What if Mite and Méfait themselves were looking in their civilian forms? I’m trying to Lois Lane this blog, help however I can. And if my comic book knowledge is sound, even when Lois knew Superman’s identity she never once posted anything about it! I don’t have magic, this is about all I can do to help. I have to do my part, protecting my girls from some butterfly-obsessed drama queen and her feather-flicking lackey!”


“Wow! That’s so loyal, Alya! And fearless! But aren’t you worried this will make you a target for Mme. Mite?”


“I’m not worried.”


“Alya does seem to have a rather... absurd amount of luck regarding akuma attacks.” Max muses, “perhaps some of Lady Luck’s magic has rubbed off on you? Protecting you in some way?”


Lila tsks, “it doesn’t work that way. You can’t just pass off magic to someone else.”


Max raises an eyebrow, “Mme. Mite does it.”


“Through her miraculous. And it’s only temporary. If, and I mean if Lady Luck did ‘pass off’ her luck onto Alya it would’ve faded when Lady Luck reversed her transformation.” The brunette hums. “You know, I just so happen to have bisnonna’s book on ancient magic. I can bring it to school tomorrow, if you’d like?”


“That’s... not such a good idea right now, Lila. People’s shit is getting torn up and stolen. We can’t let a book on magic fall into the wrong hands. The last thing we need is more chaos unleashed in the city.”


“Yeah, good point. Ooh! I know! You three can come over to my place tomorrow after school and see the book!”


“Three?” Markov does a headcount then stares at Lila.


“Well, I was including you as well, Markov.”


The robot chirps happily. “Thank you, Lila.” The brunette smiles as she nods.


The door opens as Kim, Alix, Juleka, and Aurore all enter the artroom. “Alya!” Alix greets walking over to the bespectacled teen, “wanna try out for our roller derby team?”


“I don’t know anything about roller derby.”


“You should come see us practice on Wednesday. It’ll give you some insight to the sport.” Aurore says. “The teams have been switched up so much in just the past two weeks!”


“Not to mention we’re about to have an opening.”


“‘About to?’” Lila repeats.


Alix smiles and a chill goes down Lila’s spine. She makes a mental note not to fuck with Alix Kubdel. The pink-haired teen rubs her hands together. “Markov, any news?”


The robot beeps sadly. Lila will never understand how Markov just emotes the way he does. But she’s too afraid of the electronic apocalypse to understand AIs. “The DNA found on Marc Anciel’s monogrammed ‘idea’ notebook belongs to several people; unfortunately, none of them is a match for the DNA of Sabrina Raincomprix.”


“Son of a bitch.” Alix mutters, “probably just got lucky. What about Nathaniel’s shit?”


“Oddly enough, the only DNA found on the sketchbook of Nathaniel Kurtzberg was that of Professeur Caline Bustier.”


Bustier!?” The group exclaims.


Markov nods. “The nail polish I examined came from one of the fingertips of the professeur. This morning in class I noticed her nails were painted the same shade of the blue we discovered, but there were no chips or cracks or even any smudges.”


“Must’ve redid her nails, but I don’t remember seeing Bustier at the tournament.” Kim scratches his head.


“Professeur Bustier was present in the building when Max and I first arrived. She did not stay very long then we did not see her again.”


“You know...” Aurore taps her chin, “I did see the professeur skulking around in the hallways when I first arrived, but I didn’t pay much attention to her.” The blonde frowns, “what now? We can’t kick Sabrina off the team without proof, right? She’ll just tell her papa we’re looking for reasons to get rid of her.”


“Why do you want Sabrina off the team?” Lila asks.


“She stole my friend Marc’s poem and had the raw nerve to enter it into Clara Nightingale’s art contest as her own piece.” Lila gasps, “like Aurore said, without proof we’re up a creek.” Alix sighs, “alright. We’re on All Saints’ break after Halloween. Time off might do us some good. Time to think. Besides, we can’t kick her out of the team without a replacement. We wouldn’t have enough players.”


“Then I’ll join.” Alya says, “if you need her gone after what she did, I’ll help. Like Majestia always says: ‘all that’s necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing.’ I can’t stand by and just let her get away with plagiarism.”


“But what about the luckyblog?” Lila asks, “you’re the primary content creator.”


“It’s really Max’s website, he just put me on the face of it.”


“It was your idea.” Max argues, “I just had the website available. I never would have thought of doing half of what you thought of. You’re amazing. Markov and I can do our part and fill in for you while you’re roller derby-ing.”


Alya rubs the back of her neck, “thanks. Um, guess I’d better look up roller derby.”


“Roller derby is just the greatest.” Lila says with a content sigh, “such an exciting sport! Therapeutic too. Really doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. I was on a roller derby team back in Naples. wasn’t quite as big as the league Paris has, but we got around. Met some interesting people at some of our bouts. I even met Austin August—”


“No. Fucking. Way!” Alix walks over to Lila holding her hands, eyes sparkling, “you met the skating legend Austin ‘Double A’ August in person?”


Lila nods, “they said I had serious potential...” She sighs letting go of Alix’s hands, “unfortunately, my achilles tendonitis made me have to ease up on roller derby, and all the other contact sports I used to participate in.”


“Achilles...?” Kim scratches his head, “why does that sound familiar? Oh! Hey Alix, didn’t you get treated for some achilles something last year?”


“Maybe?” She shrugs, “doesn’t matter, nothing is gonna stop me from skating.”


“You should be careful, Alix. Achilles tendonitis can worsen if untreated. Have you ever had x-rays done? American Football players’ careers have ended because of ruptures to their achilles tendons. It’s not something to scoff at. My uncle injured his achilles tendon during practice then—” The brunette makes a throat cutting gesture, “—they cut him from the team before he ever got to play professionally.”


Kim whistles, “that sucks. You know, Alix skated with a broken ankle before.”


The pink-haired teen rolls her eyes, “it wasn’t broken, Kim, it was sprained. Don’t be so dramatic.”


Kim gives Alix a deadpan stare, “‘sprained?’ Right. My mistake. Must not have realized the bone poking out of your foot is a ‘sprain.’” He shakes his head.


Aurore looks at Alix, “how do you still even have ankles?”


“You must have some serious pain tolerance to deal with something like that. Anyway, I’m just glad you’re fine to skate. There’s no worse feeling than no longer being able to do something you love.”


“If you love roller derby so much, you could join our team too? They have ankle bans and shit. Or you could just watch us play?” Alix pauses, “unless it’s too painful.”


“That’s so sweet of you to be concerned over me. I do miss team activities. It’s how I met some of my best friends back home. I guess I get so homesick sometimes. Maybe doing something that reminds me home will help with the homesickness.”


“You’ll never know unless you try.” Aurore says. “Wednesday, we have practice at Skater Lake.”


Alix rubs her hands together chuckling lightly, “everything is coming together nicely.” Kagami walks into the artroom with Jessica. “You’re here!”


“Sorry. It’s my fault Kagami’s late. Got lost along the way.” Jess rubs the back of her neck, “for some reason I thought the artroom was on the other side of the school. They should really label the classrooms.”


“What was it that you wanted to ask me, Alix?” Kagami asks.


Alix smiles brightly at the blue-haired teen. “How do you feel about roller derby?”


✍🏾

Tues, Oct 27th, 2020


Professeur Bustier gets up from her desk, “...thank you for the morning announcements, Mlle. Bourgeois.” Curtsying, Chloé takes her seat. “I thought we’d start class today by reassigning seats.” Marinette cheers then gathers her stuff. “Wait a minute. No, no, Mlle. Dupain-Cheng,” The blue-haired teen pauses, “you and Mlle. Bourgeois still have not worked out your issues. Your seats will remain.”


“What?!” The aforementioned girls question.


“Can everyone else please come to the front of the classroom with your belongings?”


“This is bullshit.” Marinette grumbles, flopping back in her seat.


Chloé rolls her eyes with a snort. “As if I’m satisfied with this arrangement.”


“Then say something to her! She’s clearly not listening to me.”


Chloé glares but raises her hand, “Professeur Bustier? I think changing our seats—” She gestures between herself and Marinette, “is a good idea. Hell, a great one. I’d dare say it’s even exceptional. It’ll fit into the whole fang shey—”


Feng shui.” Marinette corrects rubbing her forehead.


“—Sure, that. Whatever. Anyway, what I’m saying is, you should move us—preferably her.” Marinette mumbles something as she shakes her head.


“I’m sorry Mlle. Bourgeois, but I believe you two continuing to sit near each other will help.”


“‘Help?’” They echo, “help with what?”


“Girls, please! I have seats to assign.”


“Did she just blow me off?” Chloé asks, outraged, “how dare she just blow me off like... like some commoner!” Marinette slumps down in her seat with a groan, “This is all your fault, Dupain-Cheng.”


Marinette snorts, “my fault? Whatever. Go get possessed by another akuma.” Chloé gasps as she puts a hand over her chest.


Lila raises her hand, “professeur? I’m terribly embarrassed to ask, but may I remain in the front? I have a bit of trouble seeing the board from too far away.”


“Oh! I’m so sorry, Mlle. Rossi! I had no idea! I’ll make sure to keep your seat somewhere in the front.”

Chloé rolls her eyes, “oh brother. She thinks she can talk back to me, then suddenly her voice is all we hear? Give me a break.” The blonde cups her hands around her mouth, “get glasses if you can’t see far away!” The class looks at Chloé then at the brunette.


“It’s just me and my mamma at home. And mamma is so busy with her diplomatic duties at the embassy she simply doesn’t have the time to take off work and make me an eye appointment.”


Diplomat? Chloé hums. Her papa would know every diplomat staying in the city. The blonde makes a little note in her phone. “How terrible!” Chloé gasps dramatically, “I had no idea! Though I suppose knowing this confirms something for me. Your poor eyesight explains your horrible sense of fashion.” Lila’s jaw drops then she begins whimpering.


A few classmates glare at Chloé as they comfort the brunette. The blonde rolls her eyes. “Wow, Chloé. Petty much?”


The blonde scoffs, “don’t you start, Dupain-Cheng. You’re a ‘fashion designer’ are you not? Her ‘hobo-chic’ look missed the chic mark.” Chloé sighs, watching her classmates continue to crowd around the brunette. “I had no idea I was surrounded by such... morons! They can’t truly feel sorry for her. Anyone with half a functioning braincell can see that girl is full of shit.”


Marinette hums, “being so full of shit yourself, I suppose you’d know better than anyone.” Chloé glares at the girl who takes out her sketchbook and flips through a few pages, “but it sounds to me like you’re just jealous.”


Jealous?! Me? That’s absurd! Utterly absurd! Chloé Bourgeois has never been jealous of anything or anyone! I have no reason to be jealous! People are jealous of me! That’s the way it works! That’s the way it always works!” Marinette rolls her eyes, flipping through more pages. “Besides, what could I possibly be jealous of? Those thrift store rags? Did you forget my maman is The Queen of Fashion? That girl is a walking amalgam of how not to dress.”


“I’m surprised you know what the word amalgam is let alone how to use it correctly.” Chloé’s eyes narrow, “and Lila’s style is Lila’s style. It suits her. Plus, I doubt she cares what you think.”


“She should care. My fashion voice is an echo of my maman’s! You think my maman would ever let me leave the hotel looking so tragic?” The blonde’s wearing a plain red t-shirt and a black a-line skirt. Ever since her second akuma possession, Chloé’s wardrobe has been predominantly red and black as opposed to the gold and yellow she used to wear. Yellow, gold and black: The colors Audrey Bourgeois is known for wearing. Audrey always says every look could use a little gold. The only gold on Chloé is her ladybug chain. (She had another one custom-made after her first one was destroyed by the akuma.) She even swapped her usual white and gold sunglasses for red ones.


“Not everyone follows your maman’s fashion advice, Chloé. Audrey Bourgeois is not the sole voice in fashion.”


Chloé huffs, “she might as well be. Very few styles compare to Audrey Bourgeois’!”


“Okay, everyone. I’m ready with the seating arrangements. We’ll start from the front. Lila, you can go back to your previous seat.”


“Grazie, Professeur.” Chloé rolls her eyes watching the brunette take the seat across from her. Great, she’s still stuck looking at the brunette’s dumb face and clunky hairstyle. And she’s seated by herself since the class has an uneven amount of students.


When all is said and done, Professeur Bustier hauled Adrien to the back of the class where Chloé can’t keep an eye on him. She turned around to see the tall goth being seated next to Adrien, and Chloé knows Adrien well enough to know he’s more than happy about the seating change. She’ll have to ask him what it was like sitting next to Lila for a whole month. No doubt it was a nightmare.


Sabrina – who actually has eyesight problems, hence her prescription glasses – was also banished to the back of the classroom. As were Alya, Ondine, and Mylène. The only people in this classroom Chloé actually gave a damn about.


Chloé groans. Not only is she stuck between to Thrift Store and Dupain-Cheng, but Kim was given Alya’s previous seat behind Chloé. Thank goodness, Bustier put Kubdel in the back as well.


This whole seating arrangement is a mess. Then again, Chloé did not pay attention to the seating arrangements Bustier made before this one.


There are seventeen students in Professeur Bustier’s class. Ivan has to wonder if it’s good luck or bad luck that the professeur seated him in a shared desk with his crush. No doubt it’s bad luck, they looked at each other for all of three seconds before they both looked away. Great, she’s so repulsed by his presence she can’t even look in his direction. He sighs heavily as he props his fist against his cheek.


“Down in front!” Alix yells. Beside her, Aurore laughs.


“Dude, they’re starting the Cycle Slaughter tournament loser’s bracket tournament on Saturday. Are you gonna be there? Uh... here?”


Max adjusts his glasses, “considering what went on during the last gaming tournament, I will have to respectfully decline.”


“What? But you don’t get a fair shot to compete! You shouldn’t even be in the loser bracket, you would’ve wiped the floor with me!”


Professeur Bustier pointedly clears her throat, “I’m beginning today’s lesson, M. Lê Chiên.” Kim nods hunching forward at his desk.


“You gotta come.” Kim whispers, “you got screwed.”


“Yes, I was... screwed out of my shot at the tournament but that’s alright. There will be other tournaments. In fact, there’s a Leggendary tournament next month.”


“That game’s too smart for me.”


“Actually, Cycle Slaughter requires more thought than Leggendary. Leggendary’s entire basis—”


Chloé gags, “can you two be nerds somewhere out of my hearing range?” She hisses.


“Or maybe you could shut up? There’s an option.” Chloé flips Kim off before turning back around.


Adrien’s new deskmate is Juleka, and he has a lot of mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, he’s happy: Juleka is so beautiful and talented; on the other hand, he’s nervous: Juleka is so beautiful and talented. For the most part, since Professeur Bustier put them to sit next to each other, the purple-haired teen ignored Adrien’s existence. A far cry from sitting next to Lila, who’d tell him all the wonderful stories about her life. She’s so interesting. Adrien steals a glance at Juleka who blows a bubble with her gum then pops it.


Looking to his left, Adrien sees Alix and Aurore next to each other hunched forward at their desk whispering to each other, with a playbook in front of them. Right. They’re on the same roller derby team. The same one Sabrina’s on.


Oh! Juleka is also on the team. Maybe she’ll want to sit closer to the two of them? He takes another glance at the purple-haired teen just tapping her fingers against the desk. Adrien takes a deep breath then clears his throat, “s-so...? W-When is Kitty Section having their next practice?”


Juleka stills then slowly turns to him. They stare at each other for a few seconds before Juleka blows another bubble then pops it. “Tomorrow.” Juleka hums, “that reminds me. I probably need your number to text you, and I’ll give it to Luka too. As you’re part of the band too.”


“R-Right.” Adrien nods, then takes his phone out of his pocket.


The intercom shrieks to life and the feedback has the students cringe and shudder as always. “Attention quatrième students, this is Principal Damocles. Yesterday afternoon, your class representatives came together with the theme of your dance that Mayor Bourgeois was kind enough to pay for.” The class looks at Chloé who smiles smugly when she turns to them. “ This morning that theme was submitted to me. The theme for your Halloween dance is romance.


Chloé’s jaw drops and everyone gasps. “What?!” The blonde stands, “that’s not what I decided on! I told them to submit elegance! Utter.... dumbasses. What the fuck does that have to do with romance?”


“They kinda rhyme?”


She turns to Kim. “Zip it.” The blonde turns back around. “Damocles, what the hell?!”


Sabine & Tom Boulangerie Pâtissèrie have been hired to cater the dance along with Le Grand Paris’ chef de cuisine Marlena Césaire.


Chloé screams, “elegance! Elegance!”


I-I hear you, Mlle. Bourgeois. There must’ve been a miscommunication on your end. ‘Romance’ is the theme that was submitted to me this morning.


“Who submitted it?”


“I did.” The class (dramatically) gasps and Chloé slowly turns to Sabrina who is standing at her desk. “Romance can be elegant.”


Chloé’s eyes narrow, “is that a fact? You changed the theme because of that ice cream bullshit, didn’t you? Come on Sabrina, you’re the smartest person I know! You can’t buy into something so... so... outrageous!”


“There’s nothing outrageous about it!” The orange-haired teen pauses, “okay, it is outrageous but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible!”


Chloé huffs then turns around and sits down, “whatever.”


Sabrina frowns as she sits back down, “...what ‘ice cream thing’ are you two talking about?” Rose asks, turning to Sabrina.


✍🏾


“Alright Rose, why are we all bunched up in the cafeteria?” Ivan asks. “And why are you standing on the table?”


“She wants to see what it feels like to be tall.” Kim laughs, “Al—” Kim groans as an apple is thrown at his head. (Alix wipes her hands on her shirt nonchalantly.)


The cafeteria is empty today so Rose sent out a mass text to everyone, asking if they could come to the cafeteria for lunch. “Sabrina told me there is an ice cream vendor that tells you who your true love is!” The blonde squeals, “isn’t that just romantic? That’s why our dance has a romance theme. Sabrina got her love ice cream. She didn’t tell me who it was, though. Oh! And there’s more! The ice cream vendor has agreed to make an appearance at the dance to tell us who our true loves are!” The blonde sighs contently as she twirls around.


Alya waves a hand carelessly, “pass, I got a lactose allergy.”


Gasping, Rose jumps from the table onto the floor in front of Alya, “I’m lactose intolerant too. But knowing who your true love is, isn’t that worth a stomachache?”


Alya blinks at the blonde, “was that a serious question?” Kagami asks. Rose gapes at the blue-haired teen. “You’d risk your health... for the most preposterous, sketchy-sounding gimmick I may’ve ever heard?”


“I-It’s not sketchy sounding! It’s romantic.”


“What it is, is ridiculous. Willingly risking your physical and mental health just for the prospect of romance is beyond foolish.” Kagami states. Alix whistles and claps.


“You’re just not a romantic.” Lila tsks, “it’s not about risking your health; it’s about taking risks. Love isn’t easy. It’s like a maze you try to get through.”


“I hate mazes. They serve no purpose beyond aggravation. If something isn’t straightforward, it...” She pauses, furrowing her eyebrows, “wow. So that just happened. Kaasan was right. It does come out of nowhere.” She clears her throat. “I apologize. That was my obaasan speaking through me.” Kagami takes a deep breath, “okay. Let me start over. I would like to know this man’s credentials. How does he know who you are let alone who your ‘true love’ is?”


Lila sighs, “Kagami, we live in a world where we have animal-themed superheroes and supervillains! If we have an ice cream man who says he can find your true love with his ice cream, I’m inclined to believe he can truly do that.”


“You are free to believe what you choose, Lila, but don’t expect everyone to share your opinion. Despite my objections, I am not trying to dissuade anyone from believing in the ‘magical love harboring ice cream man.’ I am merely saying you should be careful not to get too invested, in case it turns out to be a gimmick.”


The blue-haired girl with the heart-shaped sunglasses on her head sighs in content, “well, the ice cream guy did his job. He just showed me my true love without even giving me ice cream.” The table watches the blue-haired girl gets up from her seat and walk around the table to take the empty seat next to Kagami then puts her head on the shorter girl’s shoulder. “You are amazing.”


Kagami chuckles. “thank you, Fei. You are amazing too.”


Fei lifts her head, “I’ve had it with the unrealistic expectations of love and romance and all that bullshit. I mean, wasn’t chocolate enough? Now they have to ruin ice cream by throwing love into it?” She shakes her head then puts it back on Kagami’s shoulder.


“I bet this will be no different than those fake psychics who give you generic ‘readings’ that you link to something coinciding with your life.” The table turns to Jessica sitting at the end of the table, “sorry. My godmother was scammed by a fake romance hotline the other day.”


“Even if this dude is legit, why does it matter? We’re just kids. I’m sure as shit not looking for any ‘love’ at fourteen.” Alix scoffs, then flicks a chip into Kim’s open mouth from across the table.


“Guys, you’re ruining this for Rose!” Marc says patting the blonde on the shoulder. “I may not believe in the ice cream love guy either, but it does sound like a cute little thing to do with your friends. You may get each other’s ice cream flavors.”


Nathaniel promptly starts choking on his almond milk. Juleka pats the redhead on the back.


“Not that I have anyone aside from Lady Luck that I love but I am curious. Rose, did Sabrina say how this thing is supposed to work?” Kim asks, before flicking a chip into Alix’s open mouth.


The blonde nods, “she said the ice cream man says a bunch of rhymes then mixes up some flavors that compliment those rhymes and the flavors he rhymes about are supposed to physically represent your love.”


“Yeah, nope. I’m out.” Alya puts both her hands in the air, “I do not fuck with rhymes. At. All. That is a personal motto of mine. I think I’m gonna stick with eating things that won’t make me nauseous. Like inhaling a plate of extra stacked cheesefries.”


Marinette’s eyebrows furrow, “but you can’t eat cheesefries if you’re lactose intolerant.”


Alya shakes her head. “They don’t use real cheese in the extra stacked cheesefries.” Marinette cringes.


Juleka pats her stomach, “stacked cheesefries sound so good right about now. With real cheese, though. Hey, I got it! Let’s blow off the dance? We can hang out and watch horror films.”


“Hell yes!” Fei hugs Juleka from her seat while still leaning on Kagami. “I’m in.”


Dude, I am so there!” Alya leans over the table to high-five Juleka. Kagami and Jessica nod in agreement.


“But this is all of your first dance at François Düpont! You’re gonna miss it?” They all nod. Marinette sighs, “fine. Guess I can’t make you all go if you don’t want to.”


“I’ve never been to a school dance before.” Alya begins with a shrug, “usually was never around long enough to get the hype with my family moving around so often. Plus, I don’t do dresses and I don’t dance so why would I go to a dance?”


“You could always wear pants.” Alix argues, “but I agree. School dances are not what they’re cracked up to be. I’m only going because Marinette’s gonna give me that look if I don’t. And, honestly, I wanna hear the ice cream guy’s bullshit for myself.” Kim leans forward to fist bump Alix.


“I wasn’t gonna give you any look.” Marinette denies. “If you don’t wanna go, Alix, you don’t have to.” Alix stares deadpan at Marinette. “W-What?”


“I have never been to a school dance either.” Kagami says, “I have been at schools for the entire time a dance was scheduled to its date and I have always failed to see the appeal.”


“I’ve only been to one school dance. At the school I was in before my maman and I moved here. It was fun. And that was only because all my friends and I made it fun. After that we’d—” Jessica snaps her fingers, “we could have a sleepover on Halloween!”


“On Liberty? I can ask my maman.”


“What’s ‘Liberty?’” Fei asks Kagami.


“Juleka’s houseboat.” Fei hums with a nod.


“Hey, can I come to the sleepover too?” Nino asks, “I’ll have to bring my baby brother though.”


“Sure. Your brother can hang with Luka if the movies are too scary for him.” Juleka punches Nathaniel in the arm, “you’re coming too. I know you’re not gonna go to the dance.” Nathaniel mutters something to Juleka which makes her snort.


“Your maman will be okay with having boys at your sleepover?” Lila gasps. “My maman would never allow that!”


Aurore barks out a laugh then Alix stomps on her foot and the blonde lurches forward slamming her head on the table. “My maman is a pirate who owns her own pirate ship equipped with its own cannon and brews her own ale. She’s cool with more than just multi-gendered sleepovers. Luka has them all the time.”


“A-And she’s not... concerned?”


“‘Concerned?’ Concerned about—”


“Oh my God!” Fei slams her hands down on the table startling everyone. “That’s enough! What is it that you don’t understand? She just said her maman is cool with it. Drop it.”


Everyone else at the table looks from Fei to Lila, “I-I was only asking.”


They look back at Fei who frowns. “Asking the same question more than once will result in the same answer more than once. Your maman doesn’t let you have boys over? So what? Sucks to be you. Juleka’s does. That’s it. End of the subject.”


They look back at Lila. “A-Alright. I was merely curious that—”


Fei growls, “you’re doing it again!”


“Okay! I won’t say anything else.” Lila shifts in her seat, looking down at the table.


Speaking of the table...? “Uh... is Aurore okay?” Kim asks. The blonde in question gives a thumbs up without lifting her head.


“O-Oh?” Everyone at the table looks up at Adrien awkwardly hovering behind Aurore who still has her head down. “W-What are you all doing here?”


“We’re talking about the dance!” Rose chirps, “are you going?”


Adrien nods, “absolutely! Or rather I’d absolutely love to!” He pauses, “this’ll be my first school dance ever. I... I just don’t know if my parents will allow me to attend.”


“Dude...” Nino says morosely.


With a sigh, Adrien nods in agreement.


Lila hums tapping her cheek, “I have the perfect solution.” Everyone turns to her. “Your papa the illustrious Gabriel Agreste, right?” Adrien nods. “Tell him this will be a promising, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to show off for Agreste® in a public setting among your highly impressionable peers.”


Adrien’s eyes widen, “that’s brilliant, Lila! Thank you so much! I’m-I’m gonna call my papa right now! Excuse me.” The blond runs off.


✍🏾


Wed, Oct 28th, 2020


Lila walks into the skating arena and looks around in awe. She has to do a double-take when she sees there’s a girl even taller than Marinette skate past. The brunette spots her classmates by the snackbar and makes her way over. “Good morning all!” She greets.


The group greets her back. “Glad you’re here.” Alix tells her. “Mme. Hombee says if you’re willing to try, she’ll let you on the team if you want. Not just you but everyone who came.”


“I’ll give it my best shot. Might be a little rusty though.”


“Oh don’t worry about that. You’re fine. Your skill level isn’t what’s most important. It’s the teamwork. We’re teaching both Kagami and Alya how to skate.” Lila sees Kagami holding onto Juleka’s as they skate around the rink. “What size shoe do you wear?”


“Don’t worry about me, Alix. I’ll get my shoes. I wanna look around. Embrace the sport before throwing myself back into it, you know?”


“I get it. Let me know if you need any help.” Lila nods with a smile. Most of the girls are tying or buckling up their skates making their way to the rink from the snackbar.


When Alya told her parents about the roller derby tryouts and her reasons for joining, her mother was excited and wanted to watch. Nora invited herself and the twins along as well. None of them can join the league due to the age restrictions but came anyway. Alya isn’t really sure why the three of them showed up when none of them know how to skate. But she learned her mother not only can skate her ass off and did not pass that talent onto any of her children but knows the entraîneur of the team.


Alya laces up her rollerblades. She didn’t even know there was a difference between rollerblades and rollerskates, but both were acceptable to use in roller derby. First, she was gonna try the rollerblades then the rollerskates to see which is a better fit for her. The orange-haired teen shakily gets to her feet and congratulates herself for not immediately falling onto the floor.


Aurore expertly skates past Kagami and Juleka.


“Come on! You’ll love roller derby!” Lila looks over her shoulder seeing that Fei girl with her hands folded behind her head walking with Jessica. “Kagami’s joining.”


“Damn my one weakness of badass cute girls.” Fei grumbles. Today, the tall blue-haired teen has star-shaped sunglasses on her head. Lila doesn’t trust that girl. Those weird red streaks in her hair. Her overall attitude. Her large assortment of sunglasses and hats. Lila’s gonna have to keep a close eye on her.


“Hi! It’s Lila, right?” The brunette turns to the redhead now standing beside her. “I’m Adélaïde Abraham,” She greets, “it’s totally cool you’re in the same school as Alix. Isn’t she simply amazing?” The redhead swoons. Oh. Well, that was... unexpected.


“Oh yes. Alix is great. The other day she took on a pair of akumas. It was... riveting.”


“I know!” Adélaïde squeals, “I heard! Wish I would’ve seen it in person.”


“I was there.” Adélaïde gasps excitedly. Lila thanks the man for her shoes, “Alix and I are in the same class.” Adélaïde’s eyes sparkle. “The whole akuma thing started with this girl named Chloé...” She begins as they start walking.


Marinette has her hair tied in a bun on the top of her head as she skates over to Alya bracing herself against the wall. “Ready?” The orange-haired teen nods then takes Marinette’s hands. “We’ll go slow.”


“Slow. Slow is good.” Alya wobbles as she gets one rollerbladed foot onto the rink, “oh fuck!”


“Don’t worry, Alya! I got you!” Grimacing, Alya looks up into Marinette’s grey eyes as she puts her other foot onto the rink. Nodding, she holds onto Marinette’s hands tight. There is just something about Marinette’s eyes that make Alya trust her implicitly. When Marinette smiles, Alya sees her freckles more prominently. Damn, she really is beautiful! Oh great! Thanks a lot, Lady Luck! She never would’ve noticed if it weren’t for that damn interview. Alya feels her heartbeat speeding up. She’s getting a crush on Marinette. Okay. She can do this. She can hold Marinette’s hand no problem. It’s just her first ever crush. Whatever. No biggie. Nothing super important or consequential or anything!


Marinette is holding onto Alya’s hands skating backwards as Alya tries skating forward. “Nope. Fuck this. I’m out. This was a terrible idea.”


Marinette laughs, “Alya, you’re doing great.”


“Wait, did I say that out loud? Shit.” Alya keeps her eyes focused on her footing then on Marinette’s beautiful face then back to the floor. She’s gonna get serious vertigo if this keeps up.


“Alya, focus on one thing to look at. It’ll keep you from getting dizzy.” Alya nods then keeps her eyes firmly onto the skating rink floor.


Alix was leaning on the wall talking to Ari when her vision whitesout for a second. She sees Kagami’s arm slipping from Juleka’s grasp. The blue-haired teen backpedals flailing as she falls backwards. Alix slows time briefly and skates over to Kagami to catch her before she can slam her skull onto the hardwood floor then resumes time normally.


“Alix?! Whoa!” Juleka puts her hands on her knees, bending forward. “Where did you—that was fast! I barely saw you skate over!” The purple-haired teen exclaims. She holds up a hand for each of them and they both grab one and stand up.


“Alix, are you alright?”


“Me? I wasn’t the one who nearly painted the floor with your brain matter.”


“I doubt the injury would’ve been that severe,” Kagami says with a smile, “but thank you for saving me all the same.”


“It’s...” Alix sways a bit and Juleka catches her, “guess that was too fast for me.”


“Come on, you should sit down.” Juleka helps Alix off the rink. Kagami stands completely still on the rink. Her eyes keep shifting from side to side as people skate around her.


“Do you need help?” Kagami looks up at the beautiful somewhat familiar looking woman she’s certain she’s never met before.


“Yes, thank you.” She offers her hand and Kagami takes it and immediately flails backwards but the woman grabs her other hand steadying her. “Perhaps I am not cut out for this.”


“You’ll get the hang of it.” The woman tells her with a smile, “and even if you don’t, at least you’re spending time with your friends. That has to count for something, right?” Kagami blinks at her then nods. “Oh...” She shakes her dark orange hair with a laugh in a very familiar manner, “look at me ‘mothering everyone.’ I’m sorry.”


“I-It’s fine.”


Dammit! Marinette feels something is off with Alix. She watches the pink-haired teen and Juleka walk over to the benches and Alix takes a seat and holds her head scowling at the floor. Marinette can’t just leave Alya in the middle of the rink to skate over to Alix. Not when Alya is struggling to stand upright. Huh. When was the last time someone had to hold onto Marinette to keep themselves balanced? Is this what Kim feels when they walk together?


Alya grabs onto Marinette’s forearms snapping the blue-haired girl out of her revere. “Alya, I got you.”


“Yeah, but I don’t got me, Marinette!”


Huh. It sounds odd hearing her name from Alya. Marinette’s spent more time around Alya as Karma than she has as Marinette. Come to think of it, this might be the first time they’ve ever been talking one-on-one. Hmm. That is something Marinette will definitely try to remedy. The bespectacled orange-haired teen is expression is pained as she holds onto Marinette. Marinette tries not to frown, she’s used to seeing a smile or look of awe on Alya’s beautiful face. Pained doesn’t suit her. Huh? How did Marinette not realize how damn pretty Alya was before? “Are you sure about the dance?”


“What? Dance? What—” Alya full-on scowls, “I don’t think I can talk and try to skate at the same time.”


“I’m trying to distract you from tensing up. Relax, Alya.” Alya looks up at Marinette, still scowling. “Relax. Everyone except Alix starts off shakily. I was a mess when I first started skating. Huh. Still kinda am but I’m clumsy.” Alya bites her bottom lip adorably. “And even if you do fall, we’ll get you back up on your skates. We’re your team Alya, we’re here for you. On the skates or on your ass.”


“I—” Alya stumbles getting her left foot caught between Marinette’s. Marinette flails backwards falling on her back and Alya falls on top of her.


“Marinette!” Alix gets up then immediately sits back down when the room starts spinning rapidly.


“Alya!” The woman takes Kagami’s hand and they both skate over to Alya and Marinette along with everyone else. “Alya, are you alright?”


Me? What about Marinette?” The woman helps up Alya while still holding onto Kagami’s hand. “Marinette, are you okay?”


“Yup.” Juleka helps Marinette up. The blue-haired teen stretches then winces when something cracks.


Alya frowns then looks up at the woman. “Ma, I told you I shouldn’t’ve tried this!”


“Don’t give up just because you fell once, Alya.”


Kagami does a double-take. “Ma?!” Everyone exclaims looking between the two of them. “Y-You’re Alya’s maman?!”


Aurore’s jaw drops, “w-we thought you were one of her sisters!”


The woman chuckles, “well, that’s flattering. Sorry to disappoint you all, but I’m Alya, Nora, Ella, and Etta’s maman Marlena.”


“The super chef!” Marinette shouts then flails backwards bringing Juleka down with her.


Chuckling, Marlena puts Alya’s hand in Kagami’s then helps Marinette up with both hands. “This is coming from the daughter of the bread masters? I’m in honor of meeting you.” She helps Juleka up next.


“Bread...” Marinette’s eyes widen, “that’s right! You were on that episode of Bleu Battle Chef with my parents! How could I have forgotten that!?”


“Boo what?” Fei asks.


“Bleu Battle Chef.” Alya repeats, “it was this short mini-series about up and coming chefs and pâtissèries in the early 2000’s. Wait, actually it was exactly the year 2000.” Marlena confirms with a nod. “How did I not even realize those were Marinette’s parents!?” She facepalms with her free hand then realizes she’s holding Kagami’s hand.


“Neither of us are falling.” Kagami comments in wonder.


“All you need on a team is trust and confidence. If you have one the other will come shortly.” Marlena says with a smile and all the girls swoon.


Camilla skates over, “everyone alright?” Everyone, still in awe, look over at the woman. She puts a hand to her head. “Not again! Marlena? What did you do to my team?”


“All I did was talk to them.”


“If it were physically possible to project heart-eyes, they all would be. I mean just look at them!” Marlena chuckles looking at everyone starry-eyed looking at her.


She chuckles, “I’m sorry.”


“No you’re not.” Camilla claps her hands together, startling everyone. “Alright. We can all scream about Marlena once this exercise is over. Dupain-Cheng, take a breather.” Marinette nods, “everyone else? Head to the edge of the rink, we’re working on multitasking.”


“Oh Lord.” Alya groans, “can I confess that I do not have that ability?”


“Thank you for your honesty. If you’d like, we can work on that?” With a grimace, Alya looks over in the direction Marinette is skating then turns back to the entraîneur with a nod. “Good. To the edge, ladies.”


Marinette takes a seat next to Alix and puts a hand on her back, “I know you stopped time.” She whispers.


“Slowed down, didn’t stop.” Alix whispers back.


“Dammit, Alix.”


Alix moves her hands looking up at Marinette, “what was I supposed to do? Watch Kagami get hurt? It’s like I saw what was gonna happen before it happened. The speed she was falling? She would’ve been seriously hurt.”


“And what about how hurt you are right now? You know your powers are dangerous.”


“Marinette, I have to keep using them if I’m gonna fight alongside you.”


“Every time you use your powers you get nosebleeds, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and muscle aches. You couldn’t even move over the weekend when you tried to stop time for thirty seconds. Alix, I don’t want you getting hurt further. You died repeatedly getting this stupid thing to give you these powers. How do you know it’s not still killing you?”


“I wouldn’t be in the time prism if I was dead.”


“You don’t know that. And that isn’t you, you. It’s a different you. Not my Alix.”


“Look, I’m getting stronger Marinette. I feel it. I didn’t get a nosebleed this—” Alix groans when a drop of blood falls from her nose, “fucking timing.” She wipes her nose with her sleeve before anyone from the team could notice.


“Alix, stop using your powers or I’ll tell Lady Luck to take that damn kill watch.”


Alix folds her arms over her chest, “stop being a hypocrite.”


“My miraculous is not killing me.”


You don’t know that.”


Marinette sighs, “stop being so damn stubborn. You think I’d be harassing you so much if I didn’t care? I love you, Alix. We both know you’re gonna crush using this miraculous but... maybe don’t try forcing it? You always said time enjoyed making you its bitch.”


Alix groans, “it does.”


Time is telling you it’s not time for you to master Bunnyx’s powers now.”


Alix sighs heavily, “you’re right. I’ll stop during All Saints’ break but then I’ll pick it up again. Once a week then gradually work my way up to more days.”


“Thank you, Alix.”


“Yeah, yeah. I get it. I love you too. If it hurts me when you’re in pain, you feel pain when I’m hurting too.” Marinette hugs her.


✍🏾


Thurs, Oct 29th, 2020


“...And then I broke it.” Jess looks at Fei a bit bewildered, and a little in awe. “Look I—what the hell is that?” Jess looks over at the... ice cream cart and even more suspicious was the jovial large man purveying the cart.


“Oh hell no. Something like this was on that serial killer special my maman had on last night.” Fei takes out a collapsible baton from ...somewhere, “put that thing back where you took it out from!” Jessica hisses. “No one should be able to walk around with as many weapons as you!”


“It’s a talent.” Jessica shakes her head, “hey, you don’t think this is the ice cream love guy, do you?”


“He looks suspicious enough for me to say he only could be.”


“I’ll keep a hand on the baton.”


They nod to each other before cautiously approaching the ice cream cart. “Well, isn’t this pleasant! You both seemed so hesitant!” Fei turns around to walk away but Jessica grabs her by her hood.


“Just a piece of advice? How about you not lurk on the street of a collège selling ice cream? Not sending the message you want to send.”


“You are very kind. I will keep your advice in mind.” Fei groans out loud. “Have you come to see my craft? Discovering your true love path?”


“Yes.” Fei turns to Jessica wide-eyed. “But how do you do... what you do?”


“It is a secret I cannot tell, lest it breaks the spell! I shall begin with you, my dear, your love is easy to see. Clear.” Jessica lets go of Fei’s hood and the taller teen turns around with her arms folded over her chest. “I see murkiness in your future, you cannot stem your pain with sutures.” The ice cream man pulls out a pale blonde ice cream cone from one of his many compartments. “There is no flavor that represents silver but french vanilla will be least likely to cause a shiver.” The girls exchange a brief glance. “And top that off with a scoop of butter pecan. This flavor is for the friend you will make, the friend filled with love and a grand plan.”


“Uh, thank you?” Jessica hesitantly accepts the offered ice cream staring at it skeptically.


“And how about you, Mademoiselle? Shall I speak of your love as well?”


“Please don’t.”


“Ah yes, you must be waiting for the dance to have your chance.”


“Yeah, sure. Well, we’re gonna be late for class. How much do we owe you?”


“There is no fee, André’s ice cream is free.”


“Okay then. Bye!” Fei pushes Jessica along as they enter the school.


“Why did I get such boring flavors?” Jessica laments, staring at her ice cream. “And nothing he said sounded like it had anything to do with love.”


“I know cons. His wouldn’t be a very good one. He’s somehow on the level with the suspiciousness and bullshit.” Fei clicks her tongue. “All the more reason to skip the dance.”


“Not the greatest ice cream I have ever eaten but it is very good. Want some?” Fei shrugs as Jessica scoops up a bit from both flavors of her ice cream and feeds it to Fei.


“Hmmm. Not bad. But I’d rather buy my ice cream without getting free and confusing rhymes attached.”


“Agreed.”


✍🏾


Kagami arrives at François Düpont to see a huge crowd in the courtyard.


“How utterly ridiculous.” Kagami hears. She sees Chloé leaning on the staircase shaking her head. When Chloé spots Kagami, she waves her over. Kagami curiously makes her way over to the blonde. Kagami hasn’t had any interaction with the girl as herself. At least, none that she can remember. “You’re Kagami, right? Kagami Tsurugi in Professeur Mendeleiev’s class?” Kagami nods slowly. “I make it my business to know all the important people who enroll in François Düpont. I’m Chloé Bourgeois, but I’m sure you already knew that.”


“What makes you think I’m important?”


“How modest! You’re Tomoe Tsurugi’s daughter. I do my homework from time to time. Everyone in Europe knows she’s the best damn self-defense entraîneur ever! My papa is still on her waiting list. More importantly, Azami Tsurugi and my maman, The Queen of Fashion: Audrey Bourgeois, do business together! We should continue that trend and eat lunch together today.”


“I can’t today, I’m eating lunch with my roller derby teammates to discuss tomorrow’s match.”


“Roller derby? Oh no! Kubdel got to you too?” Chloé sighs, “that wretched troll.” She grumbles. The blonde takes a deep breath, “what about tomorrow then? Or better yet...! I’m going to that match tomorrow to cheer on my best friend Sabrina. We could get together later and eat?”


“That sounds good.”


“Wonderful! I’ll tell the staff to prepare a meal befitting of your importance.”


“You don’t need to go through any trouble.”


“Nonsense! Friends of Chloé Bourgeois deserve nothing but the absolute best!”


“In that case, thank you.” Chloé nods. “Uh, do you know the reason for this crowd?”


Chloé groans, “it’s because this school is low on cognitive thinking. They’re all bewitched by frozen dairy and sugar. It’s corrupting their senses. I’d say it’s a ‘brain freeze’ but they’d need brains for that, They all think that guy is gonna show them their true love.” Chloé rolls her eyes, “as if! If you get told about your true love it isn’t true! You have to discover them yourself. Like me and Lady Luck!”


Kagami blinks at the blonde, “huh?”


“You don’t know about Lady Luck? She’s our very own superhero! She showed up on the first day of school and stole my heart.” Chloé swoons. “I’d do anything for Lady Luck. She’s my soulmate.”


“D-Did the ice cream man tell you that?”


Chloé scowls, “no, he said some rhyming bullshit that made my head hurt. I know in my heart that Lady Luck and I are meant to be. We’re both perfect and perfect for each other. Those are just facts. Best of all is, I have so much empty space in the penthouse suite that Lady Luck can have her own private room to break her transformation and just relax as herself without getting hounded.” Kagami nods slowly. “Lady Luck needs someone who will support her all the way. And I’d never do anything to hurt her.”


Kagami watches Sabrina rush up the staircase, “Chloé!” She says out of breath.


With a huff, the blonde folds her arms over her chest. “Well, well. I’m surprised you’re not swooning over the ice cream man again. Or is it because you’re still trying to figure out what your ‘love’ is from the colors he gave you?”


“Actually, I wanted to talk about your ice cream.”


Chloé’s eyes narrow. “Forget. It. Sabrina. There is nothing to talk about. I don’t believe in that bullshit and I don’t want you to try and explain it to me. It’s not gonna happen. Understand?”


“Chloé—”


Understand!?” Sabrina flinches then nods. “Good. Honestly Sabrina, just let it go. Come on. I’ll buy you a milkshake at lunch. A sugar-free one. I’m personally making sure your sugar intake is halved before the end of the month.” Sabrina groans following after Chloé. “See you, Kagami!” Kagami waves as the blonde walks into the building.


✍🏾


“You brought this upon yourself you know.” Marinette says picking up her schoolbag.


Alix groans, laying on the bed unable to move. “I don’t need the lecture, Marinette.”


“Girls, you’re gonna be late!” Sabine calls from downstairs.


“I’ll go tell papai and māmā you won’t be going to school today. Just... take it easy for the day?”


“Yeah, I will. Doubt I couldn’t if I tried.”


Marinette walks downstairs and Tom looks around, “morning Sugar Roll, where’s Alix?”


“In bed. She hurt her back saving one of our new teammates from falling at skate practice yesterday.”


What?! I’ll get the heating pad!” Marinette winces as her father runs straight into the opened overhead drawer. He rubs his head then keeps walking toward the closet.


There’s a loud crash and Sabine walks into the kitchen, “what on earth is that man doing? Gir—oh. You’re here. Where is Alix?”


“Alix is hold up in bed. She hurt herself at practice yesterday. Papai is getting the heating pad.”


“Alix is hurt?” Sabine takes Marinette’s hands, “we’ll take good care of her. Nurse her back to one-hundred percent.” Marinette blinks at her mother. “What I’m trying to say is, you can go to school Marinette. Alix will be fine.”


“I know, māmā. You two are the best caretakers in Paris.” There’s another loud crash, “but you may be on your own today.”


Sabine tiptoes and Marinette leans down so her mother can kiss her on her forehead, “come on. Let’s help your father before he’s unable to help me with Alix.”


✍🏾


Sat, Oct 31st, 2020


“Ice cream! Ice cream! Ice cream for all! Summer, spring, winter, fall!”


Rose excitedly makes her way over to the booth decorated with heart-shaped balloons of every color. “Hi! I-I was wondering if you’d give me my true love ice cream please?”


The man manning the booth laughs heartily, “such excitement makes my heart sing! You wish to know your true love? I have just the thing! You stare and stare and the flavor of raspberry can only compare!” Rose furrows her eyebrows as the ice cream man scoops a dollop of red ice cream onto the cone pale yellow cone with chocolate and rainbow sprinkles on the top, “next...? Hm? You seem confused, but I have not finished. I would hate to see your excitement diminished! Let me see. Where was I? Ah yes! I shall open the hatch to find your match! It would not seem contrary to add some strawberry.” Rose watches him scoop a dollop of pink ice cream onto the red. “A gift for you, for a love that’s true!”


Rose thanks the vendor as she takes her ice cream then stares wide-eyed at it as she walks away. Pink and red? Just who is that supposed to represent? The blonde sighs. She was hoping she’d get Juleka. Hanging out during Kitty Section’s practices only made Rose’s crush on her new bandmate deepen. After taking a quick picture, Rose squints at her ice cream. Hmmm. Is there purple ice cream?


Before Rose can dig up some of her ice cream with her red spoon, she hears someone call her name. Looking up, Rose sees Lila waving as she approaches wearing an all-black princess gown. Rose’s eyes widen. “Ooh! Lila, I love your dress!”


“Thanks!” The brunette twirls. “Had to call in a favor to get it done last minute over the weekend. Where did that ice cream come from?”


Rose points at the booth with all the heart balloons. Lila nods with a hum, “this is my true love.” The blonde says with a shrug. “Pink on red.”


“You seem sad. Did you not get who you were hoping?”


Rose nearly drops her ice cream as she frantically shakes her head, “I-I wasn’t hoping for anyone in particular. I’m just... confused by the colors.”


Lila clasps her hands together. “I wonder who my true love is? Maybe I should find out before a line forms. W-Will you come with me? I’m a little nervous.” Rose nods taking a spoonful of her ice cream as she follows Lila to the booth.


“Stop. That.”


Sabrina looks up at Chloé, “stop what?”


“Don’t play dumb. You’re scanning the room looking for your ‘match.’ I told you, Sabrina. It’s all bullshit. Utter bullshit. Just give it up and save yourself the embarrassment of looking around the gymnasium like an idiot.”


“You wouldn’t believe that if you got Lady Luck.” Sabrina mumbles.


“What was that?”


“I said I’m getting some punch.” Chloé’s eyes narrow as Sabrina gets up from the chair and makes her way over to the dessert table. Chloé shakes her head. Unbelievable.


Chloé had on a custom-made Lady Luck inspired princess dress made specifically for the dance. While she’s not hoping for an akuma to ruin her night, or her dress, she does want Lady Luck to see her wearing it in person. The black polkadots of Chloé’s dress were hearts rather than circles to incorporate the bullshit “romance” theme.


This dress was not meant to be sat in for so long, so Chloé gets up. The music they’re playing is terribly dull and most of the students are conversing rather than dancing. Frowning, the blonde determinedly makes her way over to the DJ booth.


Adrien was only allowed to attend the dance if Émilie chaperoned. That was a huge yikes. They arrived together then Chloé and Sabrina separated from the Agrestes upon walking into the gymnasium. Chloé saw Adrien trying to get away periodically, but Émilie was not letting him out of her sight. Chloé will do something about that once she fixes the overall dreary mood.


“Hey there.” The DJ looks up at Chloé. There is something familiar about them but that’s not important, “is there any chance you can liven this dance up? I mean, no one is dancing. Just look around! That’s the purpose of a dance, right? For people to dance. ‘Romance’ doesn’t have to equal boring.” The DJ looks around then back to Chloé. “You know what everyone will love? You should play one of XY’s songs!” The blonde gasps, “one of his older hits.”


The DJ adjusts their glasses, “‘older hits,’ hm? XY’s only been making music three years.”


Chloé folds her arms over her chest. “Look, you’re not getting paid to be a smartass. Just play something that’ll get people on their feet.”


The DJ salutes her with a smile, “aye aye, Mademoiselle.” Chloé frowns as the DJ begins moving things around the booth. “Hey Y’all!” They say into the microphone, “here’s a special request from Mlle. Chloé Bourgeois. XY’s first number-one single: ‘love me if you dare.’ Enjoy!”


The crowd begins to applaud as the music comes on. People immediately start pairing up and dancing. Seeing the opportunity, Chloé runs – as good as she’s able with her dress – over to Adrien. “Let’s dance!” They say to each other at the same time then laugh. They both look up at Émilie who nods. Chloé waves at the woman while taking Adrien away.


Adrien sighs, “not having fun, Adrikins?”


He sighs again. “I would’ve had more fun staying at home playing video games. But... I’ve never been to a dance before.”


“Night’s still young, Hun. The dance won’t be a total waste.”


“I hope you’re right.” Chloé puts both hands on Adrien’s hips and he puts his hands around her shoulders. “When did you get taller than me?”


“I’m wearing heels, Adrikins.”


The two blonds lapse into a comfortable quiet, humming along to the music as they dance. “Chlo, can I ask you a question?”


“Always.”


“D-Do you have a crush on anyone?”


“Oh Lord. Did Sabrina entice you with the ice cream bullshit?”


Adrien shakes his head, “no. I was just curious. We used to talk about this stuff all the time.”


“You’re busy trying to make nice with the peasants, Adrikins, of course we haven’t been spending a lot of time together.” Adrien frowns, “but to answer your question: no, I do not have a crush. What I have is an immense, madly, with all of my heart love for Lady Luck. It’s not some silly starstruck ‘crush’ or anything ridiculous like that.”


“B-But you barely know anything about Lady Luck! And it’s not like you two could ever have a real relationship; it’ll compromise her identity. Plus, you don’t even know if Lady Luck likes girls.”


Chloé tsks, “poor, sweet, naïve Adrien.” Chloé fondly shakes her head, “I am perfectly aware and would never do anything to ever jeopardize what makes Lady Luck her exceptional self. When we get together, we’ll have secret meeting spots so no one will see and be jealous of our undying love.” Adrien nods slowly. “And even if Lady Luck doesn’t like girls, plural. There’s no way she can resist my excellence. Why the sudden question? Are you vying for Lady Luck too? I don’t wanna be in competition with you, Adrikins, Lady Luck is my true love.”


“D-Don’t worry about that, Chlo. I don’t have anything more than a ‘silly starstruck heroic love’ for Lady Luck.”


“Then who is it? Karma?” Adrien shakes his head. “Clara Nightingale? That country music singer? XY?”


“It—XY?”


Chloé shrugs. “He’s hot.”


Adrien shakes his head again, “it’s not a famous person. It... It’s someone from school.”


Chloé laughs loudly then stops abruptly when Adrien frowns, “you’re serious! Ewww! Adrikins why?! You are so much better than that! No one in François Düpont is even remotely good enough for you!” She pauses, “okay there might be a handful who slipped through the cracks but overall? Why on earth would you lower your standards?”


Adrien blushes, “I-I’m not. If you hung around—”


Chloé makes a buzzer noise, “nope. What do they have to offer me, Adrikins? A waste of my time, that’s what.” The blue-eyed blonde scoffs, “like maman says: ‘surround yourself only with people who have something to offer.’”


“What do I have to offer?”


“What?”


“Tante Audrey says to surround yourself with people who only have something to offer. What do I have to offer?”


Chloé rolls her eyes, “Adrikins, seriously?” He nods. “Fine. I’ll humor you. Your have lots to offer. Your friendship is invaluable to me. Happy now?”


“I was just curious.”


“Speaking of curious, who is this lucky person Adrien Agreste has his eye on? This’ll definitely be the highlight of their no doubt dull and miserable life. Want my advice, Adrikins? Just go up to them and tell them Adrien Agreste wants to date you. Easy peasy. You’ll get them in no time. And maybe a couple other hundred or so suitors along the way.”


Adrien’s face turns a bit red, “I’m not gonna do that, Chlo.”


“Fine, don’t. That’s just my opinion, that you asked for.”


“I—never mind. I’m gonna get my ice cream.” Chloé scowls at him, grip tightening around his waist. “Chlo, I don’t know if I believe the guy knows who your true love is,” Chloé’s scowl deepens, “but I wanna try it out. I think it can be a fun thing to do with friends. Compare and try each other’s ice cream flavors?” Chloé loosens her grip.


“It would’ve been fun if a certain friend wasn’t obsessing herself over it. Sabrina keeps looking for her ‘match.’ It’s ridiculous! Utterly... ridiculous. She’s way too smart to actually believe that guy. But I suppose even smart people can be hooked in with little promises made by a silver tongue claiming they know the secrets to help them find their ‘true love’ who turns out to be a total loser!”


“I take it that means you’re not gonna get your love ice cream?”


“Adrikins, I would rather try that new dietary fad that involves live rattlesnakes.”


✍🏾


Kagami was surprised her mother laughed when she asked if it was alright to attend a sleepover. The laugh wasn’t even derisive or dismissive; Tomoe was honest-to-goodness happy about the request. She even suggested they go shopping for sleepover items. Kagami would think her mother’s behavior as of late uncharacteristic, but Tomoe Tsurugi was genuinely happy ever since she stopped talking to Azami. Just yesterday, Kagami heard her mother humming. Kagami has to wonder how much of her mother was really her mother with her grandmother’s looming influence?


The kwamis vowed to keep an eye on Tomoe should anything happen. Although Tikki said it would be best to keep the earrings off her ears during the sleepover; the kwami was comfortably nestled in Kagami’s sleepover duffel bag holding onto her miraculous should she be needed. “Mme.” Mite has not been terribly consistent with her akumas so Tikki figures it’s best to be prepared.


The automated car drops Kagami off at the pier then drives back to the apartment building.


Kagami walks the plank and boards Liberty with her sleepover bag. She makes her first stop at the captain’s quarters knocking on the door. “Up here, Lass!” Kagami looks up at the grey-haired bespectacled woman leaning on the wheel waving.


“Permission to access the lower deck, Captain?” Kagami asks with a salute.


“Permission granted, Eagle Eye! Have fun!”


Kagami nods then climbs down the netted makeshift ladder to the lower deck. Juleka’s bedroom door is wide open and Kagami hears laughter coming from inside.


“It’s Kagami, right?” She turns toward Juleka’s older brother, “saw you at blackberry clobber’s match yesterday. You’re a new recruit, hm?”


“Yes. You are Luka, correct?” He nods, “I was told roller derby was very therapeutic and could help with akuma possession prevention.”


Luka hums, “awesome. I’m all for anything that makes life easier for Karma and Lady Luck.”


“Are you working on another song about Karma?”


Luka blushes rubbing the back of his neck. “Oh yeah. I got Karma on my brain nonstop. I-I was in the hospital after an akuma attack and visited me. Made sure I was alright. I mean, that just stoked the flames you know? I don’t know if it’s love or anything but I’m definitely in serious crush with her.”


The netting rattles and Jess climbs down entering the lower deck. “Ahoy!” She greets.


Juleka comes out of the bedroom soaking wet. Luka does a double-take, “what the hell happened to you?”


“Exploding soda.” She mutters walking around the trio marching toward the bathroom.


Kagami and Jessica, mindful of the wet spots, carefully walk into Juleka’s bedroom leaning against the doorway. There are two empty bottles of soda turned on their side on the floor. Alya is on the floor – completely dry – laughing hysterically with tears coming down her face. Fei, who is also completely dry, isn’t doing a much better job of holding in her laughter. Nathaniel is dry for the most part but he’s just sitting there stunned.


Kagami takes in the bedroom. Last time she was there, everyone stuck to the upper deck for the band’s first performance. Juleka’s bedroom is far less monochromatic as one may think just looking at the purple-haired teen’s usual aesthetic. Kagami hasn’t known Juleka for long, but there hasn’t been a day that went on that Juleka wasn’t mostly clad in dark blue or black.


“What happened?” Jess asks.


She...!” Alya hiccups while laughing. It brings out a fit of raucous laughter that Fei joins in on this time.


Luka begins mopping up the floor in front of the bathroom then mops up the puddles of soda inside the bedroom. Juleka returns a few minutes later wearing a completely different outfit and has a towel over her damp hair.


Before Juleka’s return, everyone tried to put the room back as it was before the explosion. They all helped Luka remove the rug so that it could be washed. Even though Fei pointed out the floor will probably get dirty before the weekend is over.


With a sigh, Juleka flops down onto her chaise. “Never thought the soda would just erupt like that.” Alya and Fei start up chuckling again.


“What even happened?” Jessica asks.


“We were doing that whole mint into diet soda myth. Spoiler alert? It’s not just a myth.”


“It’s a miracle your entire room wasn’t covered in soda.” Jessica takes a seat on one of the cushions on the floor. Kagami had taken a seat on the bed next to Nathaniel.


“I was standing over the soda bottle so it kinda exploded on me.” Juleka laughs, “doubt the dance would’ve been this interesting.” The others laugh.


“Ooh. I say we try the bunny clip experiment next.” Fei suggests.


Juleka waves her hands in front of her, “absolutely not!”


“Oh come on! There’s no risk of explosion.” Alya chimes in leaning into Fei who nods.


“But there is a risk of sinking the houseboat.”


Alya and Fei exchange a glance, “I can’t swim.” The former says. The latter taps her chin in thought. “There’s gotta be other sleepover party games and favors.” The orange-haired teen turns to Nathaniel on the bed, “Nathaniel, do you know of any party games?”


The redhead rubs the back of his neck, “no, I don’t get invited to many parties.” They all look around the room at one another.


“Then we can make some up!” Alya says standing, “sleepovers are unpredictable.” She picks up a pillow, “like an impromptu pillow fight!” Juleka gasps as Alya throws a pillow at her face knocking her off the chaise. Everyone else grabs a pillow then start wailing on one another.


✍🏾


Lila stares at her disappointing ice cream skeptically. Mocha and mint? Why did she get such boring flavors? And about happiness stemming within? Is that hack trying to say she’s unhappy? Lila Rossi is very happy! Especially from within! The brunette slowly scoops up ice cream with her brown spoon and takes a bite. Huh. The flavors don’t even taste interesting! What a fucking waste. She’s contemplating tossing the whole damn thing out.


The brunette scans the area. The only classmates she has not seen yet are the ones who said they had no interest in attending: Alya, Juleka, and Nathaniel. Being here, Lila can’t help thinking they all had the right idea in skipping. She also hasn’t seen Marinette or Alix yet but she’s... almost certain the two of them are here.


Aurore takes a seat in one of the chairs lined up against the wall staring skeptically at her ice cream. Lila makes her way over. “Hi, Aurore! Is that your love ice cream?”


The blonde nods without taking her eyes off the ice cream, “it’s blueberry and dandelion.”


Dandelion? Dandelion is an ice cream flavor?”

“Evidently.” The blonde shrugs, “why does it look like it could represent me? What a cop-out.”


“It could also be Rose?”


Aurore pauses, “true. Rose is cute. Way too energetic for me though.”


“It could also be Chloé.”


Aurore frowns, “I really hope not. As hot as she is, I wouldn’t want her as true love.”


“You think Chloé is hot?”


“Duh! I have eyes. I don’t have to like Chloé to appreciate she’s pretty.” Lila just stares at her. “Anyway, there’s no shortage of white blue-eyed blonds at François Düpont. Unless my true love isn’t from the school.”


“Were you hoping for a particular person to be your true love?”


Adrien~” Aurore sighs out, “he’s sooo cute! How did you sit next to him for a whole month without losing your mind?”


Lila smiles, “he really is the perfect gentleman. I was internally swooning!” Lila fans herself off with her free hand. “I’d have to psych myself up in the morning every day before class so I could keep myself in check.”


Aurore’s eyes widen, “wow. And now he’s sitting next to Juleka,” The blonde scoffs, “doubt she even realizes he’s there. She’s so lucky.”


“You’re kidding, right? He’s a model. And so beautiful! Anyone with eyes would be ogling him.” Aurore stares at Lila with an expression Lila doesn’t recognize, “why are you staring at me like that?”


Aurore keeps staring at her then shakes her head, “...you’ll find out eventually. Anyway,” Aurore balls up her fists. “I shouldn’t rely on ice cream to confess my feelings for Adrien! I should tell him tonight. Maybe get the opportunity to dance with him!”


“I think you should eat your ice cream before it melts.”


✍🏾


Without Gabriel and Duusu, Émilie could not get a “feel” for the room. Sure, the atmosphere was notably tense but there was no way she could pinpoint anything to send an akuma toward. She should’ve just taken Duusu too dammit!


Nevertheless, Émilie spent the evening surveying her surroundings. Adrien wanted to dance, so Émilie let him. With Chloé. She really was the only suitable partner for him to dance with at such a function. Then again, she had to let Adrien “branch out” if he were to show off his outfit to as many people as he could. Adrien danced, Adrien ate; if Adrien was not having a good time that was in no way her fault.


Émilie takes a sip of her drink as she looks around. Maybe she should’ve gotten André or Audrey to show up as well. At least she wouldn’t be just standing around looking for an akuma target.


Despite having the book in their possession, they’re still somehow at a disadvantage. They knew the guardian or someone guardian-like was helping the bratty duo obtain specific situation outfits; like the aqua and ice variants to their suits. The downside to having the book was the book had volume two on it, meaning there was at least one other book full of miraculous secrets not in their possession. There is still so much about the miraculouses that they do not know. Plus, they had no idea who was handing out power-ups like they were free samples or how?


The page that explained the kwami power-ups had been torn from the book; right where it begins to explain the process. What irony.


Émilie hears a pair of professeurs who were stuck with chaperoning duty argue loudly at a nearby table. She inches a bit closer with the pretense of refilling her glass. Perhaps something will come of this night after all?


Adrien sees his mother looking around (suspiciously), then shrugs and returns his attention to the dessert table. Marinette’s mother smiles kindly at him and he returns the gesture. He came back to the boulangerie pâtissèrie for lunch – again without his parents’ knowledge – and actually made a purchase. Well, he tried to. Sabine refused to take his money so he had to slip enough money for his food from that and his previous visit in the “tip jar.”


“Enjoying yourself, Adrien?”


The blond nods, “kinda. How about you, Mme. Cheng?”


Sabine’s smile widens, “I am, surprisingly. Tom and I danced together.” She giggles, “we haven’t danced like that since Wednesday.” Adrien’s own smile widens. He hasn’t met Marinette’s papa yet but it makes him smile to hear just much Sabine loves her husband every time she mentions him; same with her daughter. It also makes Adrien wonder if this is the “relationship goal, normal couple behavior” Sabrina mentioned to him rather than his or Chloé’s parents?


Adrien takes a few blueberry macarons from the table then thanks Sabine before leaving. “Sup, Sunbeam!” Kim greets. Adrien chokes on one of his macarons and the brunet pats him on the back, “sorry, man! Didn’t mean to startle you. Just asking if you got your love ice cream yet?” The blond manages to swallow his food then looks down at the dark brown and bright blue ice cream scoops on Kim’s dark brown ice cream cone. “Mocha and blueberry. Sounds disgusting, don’t it? Tastes pretty alright though. Want some?” When Adrien nods, Kim scoops up a spoonful with his green spoon making sure both flavors are there then guides the spoon into Adrien’s open mouth. After Adrien pulls the ice cream off with his tongue, the spoon leaves his mouth. Kim dips the spoon back into the ice cream and scoops some up for himself. Adrien blinks at the spoon in Kim’s mouth. Isn’t that...? Isn’t that an indirect kiss? Oh but it’s the other way around. The only way he’d get the indirect kiss is if Kim took a spoonful before offering Adrien some.


Despite Kim’s less than positive feelings regarding Chloé and all that she has done to both of his oldest friends and himself, Kim was the first person to openly welcome Adrien to François Düpont.


How could Adrien not develop his first-ever crush on Kim?


“Where do I get the ice cream?”


“Dude’s over there by all the heart balloons.” Adrien looks over where Kim is pointing and sees the line. “Ivan’s been mulling around whether he should get the ice cream or not. I told him to just get it over with. Even if it’s not ‘prolific’ or whatever, it’s still free ice cream.”


“T-True.”


“Ooh! Are those macarons from S&T? Gotta get me some. See ya! Let’s dance later!” Adrien waves watching the tall brunet eagerly head to the dessert table. Squaring his shoulders, he stuff the rest of the macarons in his mouth then gets on the ice cream line.


✍🏾


Ivan saw Mylène chatting with Sabrina while he was on line for his ice cream. Ice cream. His cotton candy, bubblegum ice cream. From a subjective standpoint, he could say the flavors represent Mylène physically. Her hair was very colorful and she was... bubbly?


Who was he kidding? There was no way his ice cream is Mylène, and even if it was there is no way she’d ever be interested in someone like him. Like Chloé said, he was a worthless nobody not worthy of sharing the same air as someone as incredible as—“Mylène!”


The tiny teen startles, “h-hi!”


“Hi, Ivan. Bye, Ivan.” Mireille says patting Mylène on the back and walking away. Ivan waves at the blue-haired teen leaving the two of them just awkwardly standing there in front of each other. After a few seconds, Mylène adorably scrunches up her nose and takes a deep breath. “D-Did you get your—” She pauses mid-sentence to stare at the half-eaten ice cream in his hand. “Oh. You got your ice cream.”


“D-Did you?”


“Yeah.” They go back to awkwardly standing in front of each other before Mylène holds out her hand, “want to dance?”


Ivan does a double-take at the outstretched hand, “absolutely!” Mylène smiles taking his empty hand as they walk toward the floor. Ivan puts his ice cream down on a nearby chair, not even caring if it was secure, before taking Mylene’s other hand. “Sorry.” He apologizes, flushing. “My hand’s a little sticky.”


Mylène giggles, “it’s alright.” This has to be a dream. There is no way Ivan Brüel he is dancing with Mylène Haprèle!


Ondine gasps, looking across the makeshift dancefloor. “Chloé, look!” She gushes, gesturing to Mylène and Ivan, “they look so cute together!”


Chloé leans to the side then groans, “ugh. Give me a break. What are you doing, Mylène? You can do so much better than him.”


“I think Mylène really likes him.”


“It’s not about who Mylène likes, it’s about who is worthy of her. She’s far too important to have someone of his low standings be a boyfriend.”


Ondine stumbles nearly stepping on Chloé’s foot, “s-sorry, Chloé. Like I said, I’m not great at dancing.”


“You’re doing fine, Ondine, I’m an excellent enseignant. You’ll be dancing circles around these fools before you know it.”


Ondine chuckles, “did you dance with anyone else?”


“Just Adrikins. So few partners worthy of my dancing prowess. I’d dance with Sabrina but she’s being utterly ridiculous.” Chloé lets out a long, suffering sigh, “catastrophically ridiculous. Believing in this ‘love’ bullshit.” The blonde looks up at Ondine, “please tell me you don’t believe in the magical love ice cream man?”


“I’m lactose intolerant.” Chloé sighs in relief. “But... I say, if they believe in it then let them. It’s not hurting anyone.”


“It’s hurting me! Hurting me to see Sabrina look so foolish then get heartbroken when she realizes her ‘match’ isn’t who she wanted or thought they were.”


“It’s easy to see you care a lot about your friends.”


Chloé blushes, “w-well, I—of course! Sabrina would be utterly lost without me! Adrikins too. I only surround myself with the best people I can find so it’s only natural I’d care a great deal about them.” The blonde nods to herself, “and you are officially one of my closest friends now.”


“Wow! Thank you, Chloé. I feel the same way about you. You’ve been so nice to me since I arrived.”


“From the moment I saw you I knew we were going to get along great.”


✍🏾


“I’m surprised you aren’t at the sleepover with Alya.” Marlena says to Marinette who miserably piles some food onto her plate.


“I’m starting to think that would’ve been the better option.” She mutters and Marlena chuckles. “No one wants to dance with me! Every time I looked around, people would look away from me. I don’t know whether it’s because I’m a well-known klutz or if it’s because I’m now taller than every other quatrième boy other than Kim.”


“Marinette, if boys are intimidated by your height they aren’t worth the stress. I had a ...similar issue growing up. I grew up with only my papa and my five brothers, all older. And most of us were close enough in age that we attended the same school, and my oldest brother became a school-wide terror, so by the time we were old enough to attend the same collège everyone was terrified of all of us just because of him! I saw girls doing the whole cutesy needing help act in television and in real life, and I just couldn’t subject myself to it. If boys didn’t want me, I didn’t want boys.” She shrugs, “simple as that. Would you believe my husband was the only boy I ever went out with? I’d say he was my bisexual awakening but he’s the only man I’ve ever been interested in. I guess I’m trying to say you’ll find the right dance partner, their gender is inconsequential.”


“You really believe so?”


“Absolutely! I tell my girls all the time to never settle.”


“Marlena! I got the love ice cream all the kids are raving about! I got orange and chocolate!” Marinette and Marlena turn to the bald man holding a brown ice cream cone with an orange scoop on to of a brown one. “Oh? Am I interrupting something?”


Marlena chuckles, “no. Marinette, this is my husband Otis. Otis, this is one of Alya’s friends, classmates, and roller derby teammates Marinette.”


“Pleasure to meet you, Mlle. Marinette.”


“What ‘ice cream’ are you talking about?”


“You didn’t hear about the ‘love ice cream?’ I kept overhearing students talking about it so I decided to check it out for myself. Evidently, the flavors are supposed to physically represent your true love.” Marlena raises an eyebrow, “look! Orange and chocolate represent you. Orange hair and chocolate for your eyes.”


“Honey, I don’t mean to sound... crude but that sounds like bullshit.” Marinette stifles her laugh, “ice cream representing your true love? We’ve been married twenty-three years and have four daughters. I’m fairly certain we’re each other’s true love. I mean, even if we weren’t does it even matter? I’ve never loved anyone the way I love you.”


Otis chuckles, “you have a point. Orange and chocolate are a great flavor combination though.”


Fondly rolling her eyes, Marlena kisses Otis on the cheek. “You’re lucky you’re cute.”


✍🏾


“Adrien? Do you want to dance?” The blond nods then takes Lila’s hand and they walk onto the makeshift dance floor. Adrien puts his right hand in Lila’s and his left hand on the small of the brunette’s back while Lila rests her left hand on Adrien’s shoulder. “I’m glad you were able to come.”


“Yeah. Thanks to you. My parents agreed it was a good way to showcase formal wear.”


“Think nothing of it. We’re friends, aren’t we?” Chuckling, Adrien nods. “Did you get your ‘love’ ice cream? Mine was mocha and mint.”


“I got chocolate and mango.”


Lila makes a face. “Ewww.”


“Yeah, wasn’t crazy about the combination either but it surprisingly tasted good. I just finished a couple minutes ago.”


Lila hums, “who do you think your ice cream represents? Or who do you want it to represent? I’m thinking my ice cream might be Clara Nightingale. Her hair is naturally brown and her eyes are green.”


“I don’t know who my ice cream could be but I am hoping it’s my crush.”


Lila smirks, “crush, hm? Anyone I know?” Blushing, Adrien nods. “Ooh. Should we try to get closer to them? I doubt they’d turn down the opportunity to date Adrien Agreste.”


“I-I don’t want them to date me just because of my name.”


“Truly? Most people would jump at the chance to date you just because of your looks, you being famous is just a bonus perk.” Adrien’s blush darkens.


✍🏾


“Ah! True love abound, how sweet the sound!” Sabine jumps, putting a hand on her chest, “I do apologize for the fright, I was entranced by a sight.”


“Wha—?”


“Your love calls like a beacon! I had to see it in person!”


“Wait a minute.” Sabine frowns, lowering her hand, “are you that nutjob promising children you’ll find their true love just by rhyming and handing out ice cream? You know that these children are thirteen, fourteen-years-old tops, don’t you? Why should they worry about their true loves now?”


“You disagree with my methods, and that is alright. I did not come to you for a fight.”


Sabine rolls her eyes, “listen you, I had my share of horrible rhymes with Tom when we first started dating and that is an incident I do not wish to repeat.” The blue-haired woman suppresses a shudder. That was a dark time. “Do you have any idea how impressionable teenagers are at this stage of their lives? And you getting their hopes up with some fairy tale bullshit isn’t healthy!”


“That is not what my ice cream can do! It merely shows them a love that’s true.”


“I’ve heard enough. If you’ve come looking to rope me into your madness you’re going to be disappointed. I married the love of my life. I don’t need ice cream telling me what I already know.”


“I—”


No! Don’t. Say. Anything.” The man mimes closing his mouth as he walks away. Sabine sighs heavily then shakes her head. She heard Marlena Césaire was also catering this event and it’s been far too long since they’ve seen each other.


✍🏾


Max walks over to one of the dessert tables when he sees Alix sitting in a chair swinging her legs. Curious, he heads toward her. “This dance isn’t much of a dance if you’re not doing any dancing.”


“I can say the same for you.”


“To be honest, I am not certain why I am here. I am interested in learning about the ‘ice cream man’ and his methods, but not so much interested in having my ‘true love’ pointed out to me.”


Alix shrugs, “same. Wanna dance? It’ll kill some time.”


“Sure. No doubt my maman will ask questions and at least I can tell her I danced with a friend.”


“That’s the spirit!” Alix gets up from her seat then they stand in front of each other, “now what?”


“Now? Now we are supposed to put our hands on each other’s bodies. It’s a good thing you’re my first-ever dance partner. I don’t know how I’d do this with someone taller.” Alix puts her hands on Max’s shoulders then Max puts his hands on Alix’s waist. “Please let me know if I’m making you uncomfortable?”


“Such a gentleman.” Alix teases, “you know that goes for you too, right? I’d hate for my first dance to be with someone taller too.” She sticks her tongue out at Max who laughs.


“I don’t feel uncomfortable, just... self-conscious.” They both look around the makeshift dance floor at all the other (taller) pairs dancing.


“You two aren’t really dancing being so far apart from each other.” They both glare up at the blond who gives a one-shoulder shrug. “Just saying. Slow dancing is about intimacy. Being closer—”


“You say one more thing, Wayhem, and your ass is gonna get intimate with my flats.” The blond gulps then slinks away. With a sigh, they both turn back to each other, “wanna forget this dancing shit and eat?”


“Y-Yeah. Let’s do that. I-I’m sorry, Alix.”


“Don’t be.” They both move their hands and Alix puts a hand on Max’s shoulder, “dancing isn’t for everyone. Not much of a fan of it myself.”


“Don’t you and Marinette do everything together?”


“Marinette and Kim danced together once, for her parents’ vow renewal party; Nathaniel and I watched and laughed.”


“I...I do want to learn how to dance, eventually. Just... probably not around so many other people.” Max sighs, “Markov usually assists me with this sort of thing but he refused to accompany me tonight. Said it would be ‘good’ for me to have a ‘me’ day.”


“You coded your robot with too much intelligence.”


“And a bit too much sass.” They reach the punch table and each pour themselves a glass of the murky dark green liquid. “I’m curious.” Alix glances at him, “did you happen to speak with the love ice cream guy?”


“Nah. I will.” The pink-haired teen pauses, “I might. Don’t know yet. You?”


“I don’t have a crush on anyone. The whole concept is unfamiliar to me. That’s why I’m curious about it. I mean, I get the hero worship and adoration for Lady Luck and Karma – I have it to – but I have to admit I am a bit lost on everyone’s interest going beyond that; such as wanting to date or marry them.”


Alix pats him on the back, “you’re not alone in that.”


“I’m not?” He stare at Alix, “you too?” She nods. “You don’t know how much of a relief that is. I thought I would have to experiment on myself responding to certain stimuli to see what was wrong.”


“Dude, there is no right way to fix the mess of what you just said.” Max chuckles, nearly dropping his cup of punch.


✍🏾


“Behold! The ultimate ice cream sundae! Free of all rhymes and love expectations!” The group applaud the blue-haired teen who takes a bow. “Just call me Fei, the ice queen.” Alya takes a picture of the ice cream sundae they concocted. Liberty had a deep freezer Anarka stocked with every flavor of ice cream she could get her hands on once Juleka told her about the “ice cream love guru.” She even got some lactose-free flavors.


They all put the ice cream together then Fei started to add every ice cream topping Anarka also picked up, then she started adding fruit and other foods to it.


Alya wanted no part of that, just sticking with her lactose-free ice cream. Nathaniel was also lactose intolerant, and he also had a peanut allergy so he stuck to the lactose-free ice cream as well.


“It’s only fitting our host take the first bite.” Fei holds out the spoon to Juleka who nods and takes it.


Juleka packs her spoon with as many different flavors as she can before taking a bite. She moans appreciatively as she eats.


“Success!” Nino crows. Luka hands everyone a spoon before sitting by Chris then they all dig into the ice cream in front of them.


“Question: How many bathrooms does Liberty have?” Alya asks. Everyone pauses, spoons mid-air, turning to Alya laying on the chaise with Nathaniel eating their ice cream.


✍🏾


Alix sighs as she looks down at her phone. She should’ve went to the damn sleepover. Juleka’s phone accidentally sent her a picture of everyone dogpiled on Juleka laughing.


Max went to the restroom, too much punch, so she was just waiting for him when her phone pinged with a notification.


“You seem troubled. Let’s see if we can pop this depression bubble.”


Alix squints up at the man, “oh no. You’re that ice cream nutjob getting kid’s hopes up with unrealistic and unattainable expectations of romance.”


The man tsks. “I never tell how the romance will begin, simply which direction to go in.” Alix rolls her eyes. “I see you are not a believer. A hostile. You see this ordeal as an obstacle. I find that good as I enjoy a challenge and will make this worthwhile!”


“Dude, your words aren’t exactly rhyming.”


“Yes, these rhymes are not exact because some words do not have the perfect match. You, my dear, see love as equal to fear. You never understood physical attraction; you view it confusing – never able to have the ‘correct’ reaction. You have love in your heart, I can see it clear as day, but it is not the love seen as romantic in any way. The love for your best friend, the loss of love from your family. You wonder if you can ever truly be happy.”


“Loss of...?” Alix eyes widen as she stares at the vendor.


“Orange has no rhyme, but this love of yours is friendship and it will take time. Licorice can be hit or miss due to its unique flavor, but I have the distinct feeling this is a flavor you will savor.”


“Never tried licorice before.”


“Then have no fear, you can try it now!” Alix looks at the ice cream the man scoops into a pink cup, “don’t worry about trivialities like how!”


“Whatever. I’ll humor you.” Alix takes the ice cream. “Thanks, I guess.” The man nods at her then rolls his ice cream cart away. “Did it sound like he knew what happened to me?”


Fluff pokes their head out from Alix’s jacket pocket, “it absolutely did sound like that. But unless he has time magic of his own, he shouldn’t understand the splits in the universe.”


“Splits? What splits?”


“Uh... hey, why not try your ice cream?”


Alix takes a spoonful of the ice cream then immediately recoils, “oh,” She gags, “that’s gross.”


“Let me try.” She lowers her ice cream near her jacket pocket and Fluff pops their head out and licks it. “I like it.”


“It’s all yours. I’ll pretend I’m eating it if anyone comes along.” The pink-haired teen sighs heavily. “Not only do I get bullshit but I get gross ice cream. Next year I’m definitely skipping with Nathaniel.”


“Alix!” Fluff sticks their head back into Alix’s pocket and Alix looks up to see Kim and Marc running toward her. “Alix, I’m so glad you’re here!” The latter exclaims.


“Marinette wanted me to come...” She trails off with a shrug. Not that she’s seen Marinette since they split up.


Marc folds his arms over his chest, “kinda sucks Nathaniel didn’t wanna come. I just hope he’s having fun at the sleepover.”


Alix raises an eyebrow at Marc, “why are you disappointed? Nathaniel never comes to these dances.”


“I, maybe, thought he’d wanna come this time – for once – so we could dance?” Alix blinks at him. “He’s so cute when flustered.”


Kim shakes his head, “dude, this game of chicken you’re playing... just ask him out!”


“I can’t! My brain melts when I get too close to him. Plus, he smells so good: like ink and charcoal. Every time I get too close I lose my train of thought.”


“Anyway, I danced with Adrien. He’s damn graceful and cute. And so pale. He almost turned all the way red when he blushed. Never saw that before.”


“Yeah, that’s... cute. Adrien’s not as cute as Nathaniel though.”


Kim laughs, “I don’t see Nathaniel’s face all over billboards throughout the city.”


“I’d never be able to concentrate.” Marc mumbles. “I danced with Adrien too. And he was plenty red when we danced.”


“Wait, when did you dance with Adrien?”


“I don’t know. After the DJ told everyone they’re gonna slow things down?”


“I danced with him right before that! Ha! Adrien dancing with two hotties back-to-back definitely had to make his night. No wonder he was red. Especially since I saw him dancing with Chloé earlier. We’re much hotter than Chloé.” Marc nods in agreement.


Alix rolls her eyes. “Alix, you should—” Marc looks down seeing the ice cream in Alix’s hand, “is that your true love ice cream?!” Kim glances at Marc then at the ice cream Alix is holding.


“Holy shit! You got it?”


“Yup. If this shit is legit I am happy to report my love is not romantic according to the ‘all seeing’ ice cream psychic or whatever.”


“O-Oh.” Marc rubs the back of his neck, “that’s... huh. There are other types of love after all.” Alix stares at him. “W-What? I didn’t mean anything. A-All forms of love are pure... and... cool. It’s...” He bites his lip, “it’s just...”


“It’s just...?” Alix prompts.


“I was hoping you would get a romantic love ice cream.”


“You were hoping I’d get romance?”


Marc blushes, “m-maybe if it were true, he could help you.”


Alix’s eyes narrow. “Help me with what?”


“With...” Marc shakes his head, “n-never mind, Alix. Forget it.”


“Oh no. You’re not getting out of this. What do I need help with, Marc? Spit it out.”


Marc sighs, “I-I just thought that if you were told you had a true love it would point you in the right direction. It would... fix you.” He finishes barely above a whisper.


“‘Fix me?’ I’m not broken. I don’t need to be fixed. Is this—This is because I don’t get ‘feelings,’ isn’t it? That’s what needs to be ‘fixed?’ I’m sorry I don’t believe there’s no point to life if not for having romantic feelings for every ‘cute’ boy who smiles at me.”


“That’s not what he meant and you know it, Alix.”


“Oh? Then by all means, tell me what he meant.” Kim frowns, “no? Nothing? Give me a break. You’re just a fickle with your feelings as Marc. Today it’s Adrien, tomorrow will be somebody else.”


“At least we have feelings!” Marc’s eyes widen then he puts both hands over his mouth in shock. Alix stares at him wide-eyed before her expression turns blank. Backpedaling, Marc lowers his hands. “I-I didn’t mean that the way it sounded.”


“Yes you did. How long did you have that bottled up? That tiny unfeeling freak has some gall mocking us for being normal. Only some kind of robot wouldn’t get crushes every five seconds!”


“Come on Alix, you gotta admit... it’s a bit weird you’ve never had a crush. At our age? Everyone’s had at least two crushes by the time they turn ten.”


Alix lets out a bitter laugh, “weird.” She repeats, “very fitting. This isn’t the first time you two have done something like this. Looked at me sideways because I don’t engage in your petty who is cuter than who arguments or take sides when you talk about how hot whoever is. Nice to know how you two really feel. But then again, I have no feelings so it’s whatever. You know what? I’m done. Fuck this.” Alix throws her ice cream on the floor and the cup shatters, “why should Alix Has No Feelings Kubdel get anything feelings related, right? You know what else? It fucking tasted terrible!” She gets up from the chair and brushes past both of them storming off.


“Alix, wait!”


“Fuck off!” She flips them both off as she continues walking. “The only feeling Alix Kubdel experiences is pissed off!”


They both sigh heavily, “we screwed up, big time.” Kim says sadly.


“Oh yeah. I should’ve kept my mouth shut.”


“It’s not your fault. It would’ve come out eventually. She may not think it’s weird but I still do.”


“M-Maybe give her a day to cool off before apologizing?”


“As pissed as she was? We’ll give her two days.”


✍🏾


“...Love you too.” Émilie smiles hanging up the phone, “Nooroo, wings rise.”


✍🏾


Angry tears well up in Alix’s eyes as she sits on the staircase. “...Weird. Fucking... fuck.” She mumbles. Hearing Alix sniffle, Fluff consolingly pats her leg through her jacket pocket. Just as Fluff was about to emerge from the pocket to talk to Alix, they see an akuma float down to the ribbon on Alix’s head. Fluff gasps, shuddering as they feel the dark energy and evil intent coating their and Alix’s bodies.


Alix’s eyes flash white briefly before she lifts her head up and the butterfly outline appears over her face. “Good evening, Marionettist. I am Mme. Mite and I am terribly sorry about how your evening is going. I can empathize. It’s difficult being unique. Misunderstood. I have a proposition for you. They say you’re a freak? Think you’re some kind of doll since you can’t feel love? Well, what if you called the shots? What if you made them the unfeeling, unnatural dolls they make you out to be? All you have to do is get me the cat and ladybug miraculouses, do we have a deal?”


“N-No!” Alix grips her head, “I-I won’t help you!” Mme. Mite’s laugh echoes in her head and her saccharine voice asking her what’s the point of fighting it, but she also hears Fluff’s voice pleading with her to resist; reminding her she’ll have to fight her best friend if she gets possessed.


There is no power in the multiverse that will make Alix Lei Kubdel fight Marinette Lei Dupain-Cheng!


Alix tries to figure out where the akuma could be through all the haze. If she were to stop time now, she doesn’t know how that would affect the akuma or Mite. She hadn’t seen it or heard it and she isn’t wearing any accessories other than—it has to be in her ribbon! Alix rips the ribbon out of her hair tearing off a few strands in the process. The mask outline shatters and she grips her chest, panting, staring at the akuma making its way out of her ribbon.


Alix dizzily looks up as the akuma flies off phasing through the ceiling, then her eyes roll back and she passes out.


✍🏾


Mme. Mite’s eyes snap open, “she... resisted an akuma? I didn’t think that was possible. Just who was that girl?”


✍🏾


Blue eyes flutter open and Alix looks into Sabine’s grey eyes, “oh! Thank goodness you’re awake. Marinette! Alix is awake.”


Alix looks over Sabine’s head at the boulangerie pâtissèrie ceiling. “What happened?” Marinette asks rushing over to Alix’s side gripping her hand.


“I-I was angry and I went to get some air then... then I guess I blacked out?”


“Are you in any pain?” Tom asks, nervously hovering over Alix on the other side. Alix shakes her head then slowly sits up.


“Did you guys leave the dance?”


Tom nods. “That cute little Max boy said when he returned from the restroom he found you unconscious by the staircase.” Tom replies. “On our way out, we bumped into Kim and Marc who just started breaking down crying profusely and apologizing. Though they never did say why they were apologizing. You know you can tell us any and everything, right? We’re your parents, Alix. All we want is for you and Marinette to be happy.”


Alix smiles weakly, “I know. Thanks for caring. You two are great. I’m... I’m not ready to talk about it yet. Is that okay?” After they slowly help Alix up, Sabine and Tom hug her from each side.


“There’s no time limit, Alix.” Sabine replies. Whenever you’re ready to talk just let us know. We’ll always be ready to lend our ears.” They both kiss Alix on the forehead before letting her go. Tom pats Marinette on the shoulder as they walk off.


“I’m not giving you that get out of jail free card, Alix Kubdel, tell me what happened!”


“Marinette, I—” Alix frowns, “I promise I’ll tell you. I-I just don’t... I can’t now. It’s too raw. Just thinking on it makes me mad all over again.”


“There were dried tears on your face, Alix.” Sighing, Marinette hugs Alix. “I won’t pressure you. I’m sorry for yelling. I’m just worried is all.” Marinette tightens her hold on Alix. “I haven’t seen you cry since...” Alix tightens her hold. “I’m sorry.” Marinette murmurs.


“Don’t apologize. Your only problem is you care too much.” Alix sighs, “I just need to lay down right now.”


“Yeah, sure. Let’s get you upstairs. Tomorrow is Shopping Day so you can relax.” They both walk up the stairs.