Actions

Work Header

We Still Are Made Of Greed

Chapter 4

Notes:

I don't own RWBY. All rights go to Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

By the time Weiss would have woken up, Blake is long gone from her apartment. They had sneakily gotten dressed in yesterday's clothing, gathered their belongings, and left the residence.

They made their way across town to retrieve their duffle bag with their newly developed laptop inside of it. Blake blinks the sleep—or lack thereof—out of their exhausted eyes. The sun had barely broken into the sky in a gradient of color, and Blake is going to hate this day.

"Heads up!"

A speeding red and black ball crashes into Blake, sending them both down to the ground. Blinking their eyes open with a hiss, the Faunus meets startling silver.

"Gah! I-I am so sorry! Are you okay? Do I need to call the hospital? I'm…" The person looks down, up again, then back down before jumping up sheepishly. "Sorry! Uh, sorry, I was testing something."

Blake takes the hand the silver-eyed woman juts out and pulls. They brush their hands together to stop the stinging that happened when they fell to the ground.

"It's fine. Don't apologize,"

"Sorry! I-I mean, uh, not sorry,"

As they smile softly, Blake shifts from left foot to right. "Since I get to meet people everyday now, what's your name?"

"I'm Ruby Rose! Ooh! This is so exciting!"

"Blake,"

"Well, Blake, I do believe that we," Ruby throws an arm up and around Blake's shoulders, essentially pulling them down a few inches. "are gonna be good friends. Weiss doesn't say she's my best friend, but she knows that I and really cool."

"You know Weiss Schnee?" Blake gently pushes the surprisingly hard-to-move arm off of their person.

Ruby snorts and cackles. "Of course I do! With her and—"

"Ruby, are you okay?" An orange-haired woman with worried green eyes runs down the sidewalk with Officer Xiao Long—or Yang— in tow.

"Psh, yeah. Look, Yang, I made a new friend! It took me twenty-four years to have this many friends, but I did it," Ruby once again pulls Blake down with an arm over their shoulder. Blake grunts.

Yang eyes the Faunus. "Uh huh. So how's everything with Weiss?"

Blake narrows their eyes. "Peachy. Nothing like sleeping in my ex's bed. Someone I don't trust,"

Ruby and the other woman glance at each other with a sigh. Yang had The Look on her face.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have never seen you before. I am Penny Polendina!" The orange-haired woman salutes with a huge grin.

"Blake. So," Blake looks between Ruby and Yang. "how do you two know each other?"

"We're sisters, of course! Can't you see the resemblance?" Ruby zooms next to Yang and smiles innocently, unlike the devilish smirk Yang wore.

As they look at the sisters, Blake picks up small things that show resemblance—same eye shape, jawline, nose. Other than that, Blake couldn't tell that they're sisters.

Yang sees the puzzlement along with the slightest tilt of Blake's head. "We have different mothers,"

"Ah," Blake nods. They really have to get their belongings then meet up with their friend. "So you're a cop, and you…" They finally notice a metallic backpack on Penny's back as well as strange metallic boots on Ruby's feet. "Are you an engineer?"

"Technically, I'm a mechanic, but my boss don't care what I do as long as I fix cars," Ruby proudly rubs the heel of her hand over her chest with a faint grin.

"Uncle Qrow doesn't care what we do, though,"

Penny nods. "Yang is right! Your uncle even gave you a small workshop to build things in,"

Blake pushes their glasses up their nose as it begins to slide down. "I have to get going, but it was nice meeting you two. Officer Xiao Long," The cat Faunus nods at the officer and receives a wink in return. Blake steps around the trio and walks backwards while finishing their conversation. "I'll see you all around."

Yang shakes her head. She leans close to Ruby and whispers something before she jogs to catch up with Blake.

Ruby watched her sister go, annoyed. "There she goes,"

"At least Yang is interested in someone!"

Now beside Blake, Yang shoves her hands into the pockets of her coat and whistles. A look of confusion burns against the side of Yang's face as she whistles a tune, but she doesn't speak first.

Finally, Blake sighs and opens their mouth. "Officer Xiao Long, are you following me?"

"Who knows?"

"Uh," Blake's ears twitch down at a higher pitched whistle. "Please don't do that so close; it hurts my ears."

Yang flushes, embarrassed by her actions that she unintentionally caused Blake harm. "Sorry. I just wanted to… apologize for how pushy I might've been last night. Might not've said much to you, but, y'know,"

"Apology accepted,"

The two walk in a comfortable, yet still awkward, silence. When Pyrrha's apartment complex comes into view, Blake breathes in, tense. Yang glances down when she hears the sharp inhale.

"You good?"

"I know Pyrrha will be grateful I didn't get hurt, but she doesn't like when I run off. Oh, she's gonna bring me to that fire department she works at and handcuff me to her desk,"

"It can't be that bad! Pyrrha isn't that protective over anyone except Jaune,"

———

"I can't believe you actually cuffed 'em to the coffee table,"

Pyrrha shoots a withering glare at Yang who holds up her hands in a sign of surrender. Blake grumbles, arms crossed across their chest while their feet are de-shoed and cuffed to the coffee table by their ankles.

"Told you,"

"Since when did you, Yang, make new friends?" Pyrrha raises her brow.

"Puh-lease. I don't make friends, friends pile around me,"

Pyrrha whips her head towards the couch, finger pointed menacingly. "And you!" Blake smiles sheepishly and sinks into the couch. "I care about you and the others too much to let you run around without your Buddy! Buddy System."

Yang snorts. "You still use the buddy system?" She stops laughing at the glare sent her way again. "Yes. It's a really good system to use."

Blake groans.

———

"Since we work from the shadows, we should be able to work our way into their operation," A woman with wavy dark brown hair, covering one eye, says to her boss. "That way, we can use the element of surprise when we betray them."

"And if this… plan were to fail like last time?"

The sniper and his partner glance at each other. They couldn't help but remember the last attempt they made. It had failed horribly when Taurus took a sword to some chick's arm, failing to notice that she was helping, not maiming, a Faunus.

"It won't, ma'am, because Adam isn't going with us. He is to stay with the White Fang and Torchwick, out of sight. Only when we're ready will they come into the light,"

A pale white hand clenches into a fist next to her cheek. "Do not fail me again. You might need some… encouragement if this were to go awry,"

The woman nods her head. "Of course,"

"Get out of my sight. You three will join their group and gather information. Pyrrha Nikos is no longer a target as long as she stays oblivious," The woman's eyes flick up. "And that cat Faunus, Blake Belladonna, keep an eye on h—"

"Them," The sniper absentmindedly mumbles under his breath. The woman beside him nods. Too bad the bigger baddie is close-minded.

———

"Hello?"

Ruby jolts from underneath the pickup truck she was fixing. She bumps her forehead on the underside of the vehicle while trying to slide out with the creeper board and not get stuck like last time.

She sits up, hitting her head again, and curses under her breath. Silver eyes open slowly to make sure oil wouldn't travel into her eyes.

"Excuse me, but we're lost,"

Ruby glances up at three people from the ground. She looks a mess compared to high-end Vale clothing, oil on her face and hands and torso.

"Of course! What d'you guys need? An oil change? Trouble with the engine?"

"I was thinking along the lines of…" The lead woman taps a finger to her chin. "Relics need to be brought to the battlefield."

Ruby tenses and stands from the creeper board. She eyes the three up and down. A man with silver hair and strong looking legs, a darker woman spinning a pen between her fingers with revolvers in holders on her back, and a paler woman with hair covering one eye.

Since they know…

Ruby nods. "Tonight, meet here when the lights go out,"

"That's all we ask,"

"I'm Ruby, by the way," Ruby thrust out her hand.

The pale woman takes it. "Cinder Fall. This is Mercury Black and Emerald Sustrai. We're happy to be a part of the cause,"

———

Notes:

Writer's block AND school is a bitch. I didn't really have much inspiration, but I wanted Blake to meet more characters and slowly develop the story. It's not that good, but hey, it's something.

I got a Tumblr! Go harass me on it: gayandreadytopartay

Notes:

I don't own RWBY. All rights go to Rooster Teeth and Monty Oum.