Actions

Work Header

Heart's Happiness

Summary:

"P'Beam! Stop it!" Yo was now glaring at him. "I will marry someone that father chooses and that's final. I wanted father to retire too, I don't want him to have a heart attack again." The kid is scary when he's upset.

Beam wouldn't let his younger brother get married in a political gain. He will convince his father that Wayo should marry someone he loved but his father won't back down unless Beam will get married too. Now Beam is torn, he wanted to marry for love too but Wayo's happiness should come first.

I do not own the characters but the story is the product of my imagination.

Notes:

Greetings! This is my take on ForthBeam ship. I hope you'll like it. Enjoy!

Chapter Text

Chapter 1

It was supposed to be a nice dinner at Vongviphan Manor. It was a quiet calm evening until Beam Baramee Vongviphan's shrill disturbed the whole mansion.

"Did you finally lose your head, father?!"

He yelled as he burst through the double doors of the dining area of the mansion where his father and step brother was eating their dinner with their butler standing on his father's side.

"P'Beam!" His little brother Wayo was beaming at him. Wayo may be his step brother but he loved him as his own little brother ever since his father remarried a widower of the Panitchayasawad house. The head of the Vongviphan House slowly massage his temple.

"What is it, Beam? You told us that you wouldn't eat with us tonight. So, why are you here?"

Beam was fuming. His father is the headache, not him!

"Are you seriously gonna me ask that?"

"What is it, Beam? This is a pleasant evening, Wayo and I are discussing something important." His Father made a 'get on with it' gesture with his hand which fueled Beam's anger. Wayo was fidgeting on his chair and sparing a glance towards Beam and his step-father.

"You're gonna marry off Yo without my approval! Are you fucking mad?!" Beam was sure that after this conversation he' ll gonna lose his voice.

"Language, Beam!" His dad banged the long dinner table that separates him and Beam. Wayo is close to weeping right now but he wouldn't back down. He always headbutts with his father, the banging of the table is normal. So, he continued, “And it’s a shame I found it out outside of this mansion! You’re now creating a rumor so that suitors would come forward, didn’t you?”

"Father, P'Beam, please. Stop it." Wayo squeaked at his chair. Tears streaked eyes turned to Beam.

"P'Beam, Father asked nicely about the marriage proposal and I agreed. It's fine. I'm okay with whatever the decision is." he tried to pacify the two Vongviphan through his pleading eyes.

Beam did not see this coming. Wayo was in love with someone and to consider marrying someone who is not the love of his life is a big deal. Wayo was kind and considerate but as a brother he will not let him do it. Wayo's happiness comes first.

"Wayo, You deserve happiness. You need to marry someone you love, not like a business deal!" he glared at his father. Mr. Vongviphan sighed. "You're hiding something from me, father. What is it and you're gonna tell me the truth."

"Fine. I'm dying. Enough truth for you?" his father answered with a little sarcasm. The Lord of Vongviphan house slumped on his chair.

"What?!" Beam yelled at his father.. “You better not joke about something like this!” Beam continued. Wayo was just surprised in his seat.

Lord Vongviphan looked at Beam. "Before I die, I want my children to marry respectable noble names so that I can rest in peace but as you can see, I can't marry you off that easily because you're so stubborn, so I came to Wayo." His father held Wayo's hand. "Your mother and I's marriage may be a political convenience but we are good friends and I promised her a good life for you before she died."

Wayo cried and hugged his father. "I know you're honoring my mother's wishes that's why I accept whatever decision will be made." Beam wouldn't accept that. Wayo will not be happy in a political marriage.

"No! I will not allow it." Beam is stubborn just like his father so he is still pushing buttons.

“Beam, I am dying. I need someone to look after the both of you.” The head of the house sighed again.

“No, you are healthy! I made sure of that. Our doctors can confirm that. You are not dying!” Beam glared still at his father. It was true though, his father had a heart attack scare a few years back but he was okay now, He made sure that. His father could not deceive him, he did study medicine after all.

“Dad, are you really dying?” Wayo was looking at their father worriedly. There, he was sure that his father couldn't resist the puppy eyes of his beloved brother.

“Fine.” His father conceded. “I am not dying, but-!” He glared at Beam who was sporting a smirk.

“I wanted to retire. I need someone to take care of the Vongviphan House and because you study medicine and not the business, I need someone to run this house instead of you.” He pointed at Beam.

“And you choose to whore Wayo instead?” Their father was still upset that Beam chose Medicine instead of Business. He cannot tolerate business, and he wanted to be a doctor. He was following his heart. Is that so hard to accept?


"P'Beam! Stop it!" Yo was now glaring at him. "I will marry someone that father chooses and that's final. I wanted father to retire too, I don’t want him to have a heart attack again." The kid is scary when he's upset. He learned that the hard way.

Damn, Beam needed his ace now. He won't allow Wayo to be in a loveless marriage. He was honoring his late Step-mother’s wishes too, so bite him. Beam’s mother died in an attack when he was one year old, so he didn’t know what mother's love was. His father was busy running the Vongviphan State so he was raised by wet nurses, butlers, and maids. It made him a very rebellious child so that his father would give him some attention. It made his father upset and that started out their bad blood towards each other.

It continued until when he was thirteen and his father married a widower from the Panitchayasawad house. Rose Panitchayasawad was a beautiful woman and he also had a son, five years younger than him, Wayo who was eight years old at that time. Beam thought he’d hated the new addition in the family but he did not. It was a delight when Wayo called him a big brother and swore to all deities that he will protect him even if it will cost his life. He became civil to his father, sure they argue from time to time but Rose was quick to pacify it. Rose became his mother too, She loved him like a true son and it also hurt him when she died. When Rose was on her deathbed, she asked Beam a request.

“Promise me that you and Wayo will choose whatever your heart’s desire may be. Do not deny your heart’s will to be happy. Promise me.”

Beam takes the promise to his heart, so he will protect Wayo’s heart. Wayo and his father can suck it up. Besides, Beam still has an ace against Wayo. It may anger his little brother but he needs to act now before his father will call suitors from around the country. Vongviphan family is one of the powerful household name in the Country of Ceres, many would definitely fight for the hand of either of them. It would not matter if it’s a man or a woman because a political name is more powerful than a gender. Beam decided to face his little brother’s wrath after, so he laid his ace on the table.

"What about Pha? Wayo, you’re in love with him the second you laid your eyes on him.”

Beam watched as Wayo inhaled sharply and his eyes glinted dangerously at him. Lord Vongviphan tilted his head in confusion.

“Phana? Phana, the head doctor?” His father asked the both of them. It became eerily quiet. Both Beam and Wayo held their breath. Phana Itthipat Thanit was the Head Doctor of the Panitchayasawad-Vongviphan estates and one of Beam’s best friends. They both studied at the same university and after they graduated, Beam invited Phana to be part of the Doctors at the Vongviphan Estate.

Since Vongviphan is a powerful household, his best friend accepted the offer and worked diligently until he became the Head Doctor for the Vongviphan household. Phana was one the reason why Vongviphan Household is quite famous in Medicine since they house the best doctors in the country. When Beam introduced Phana to Wayo, he could clearly see hearts in his brother’s eyes. Wayo then confessed to Beam that he liked Phana. It was the reason that he invited Phana to be a doctor in the Vongviphan Estate.

“Phana Itthipat Thanit?” Lord Vongviphan asked them again. Wayo suddenly stood up and glared at Beam.

“I will accept Father’s decision and that is final.” Wayo stated and ran towards the door. Beam grabbed his wrist when Wayo passed by him.

“Wayo..”

There’s hurt in Wayo’s eyes and he decided to let go of his wrist. His little brother ran again and would lock himself in his room. Wayo can hate him all he wants but he will not compromise his happiness in a political wedding. Not in a million years when Phana loves Wayo too.

“Beam” His father called him. “Wayo loves Phana?”

Beam sighed and sat in one of the chairs in the long dining table. His energy drained out when Wayo’s eyes spelled betrayal to him.

“He did not tell you because Phana doesn’t have a noble name.” Beam sighed.

“Does Phana love Wayo, too?” That startled Beam. His father never cared for that before and he is asking if Phana loves Wayo too?

“The heck? Why do you suddenly care about that?”

“Answer my question.” The glare is back on his father’s eyes.

“Yes, he loves him but he did not act on it because Wayo is a Vongviphan.” Beam rolled his eyes to his father.

“Let Phana court your brother. If Wayo accepts him, I will let him marry Wayo.” That surprised Beam. He wanted to cheer, he was happy but it was too soon to celebrate because his father added.

“But you will get married first. That’s final.”

Fuck.

Chapter 2

Notes:

Hello, how are you? This is chapter 2. Enjoy.

Chapter Text

Chapter 2

“What? No!” Beam was torn now. He wanted Wayo to be happy with Phana but it will cause his freedom too! He wanted to marry for love too!

“If you won’t, I’ll marry Wayo to someone else. Remember, He will follow my orders and he hates you right now.” Lord Vongviphan pointed and smirked at him. Damn it.

Beam gave his old man a nasty glare. Wayo will forgive him later but he should at least compromise this.

“Can I think about it?” Beam rubbed his face, this is so stressful. Why is his father so stubborn? And why did he have that trait too?

“Tick Tock, Beammie. You’ll get married first so that my headache can be lessened. You already caused so much trouble by studying medicine, marrying you off is the best choice.” The old Vongviphan gave Beam a hard stare.

“Don’t call me that!” Beam glared back. ”You don’t get to choose who will marry me!” That intensifies his father’s glare at him. Beam swore he can see smoke coming out of his father’s ears.

“Beam Baramee Vongviphan!” his father roared. This is their problem, they are both hard headed. Beam provokes his father so much.

“Fine, I won’t back down on the marriage.” Beam groaned. He can’t believe he caved. Well, he can sacrifice himself more than Wayo. So he thinks it’s still best. He can get a divorce anyway.

Like some unfortunate luck that befell upon him, Beam’s father may have seen something in his face and added a condition.

“And no, you can’t get a divorce either. I am sure you’re thinking of divorcing your spouse after.”

“Huh? Why?!”

“Your spouse will be a Vongviphan, Beam. I promised Rose that I’ll bring back the Panitchayasawad House to Wayo. But you are a Vongviphan, I need someone that I can train to be a Vongviphan since you did not participate in our businesses.” That got Beam’s attention.

“You’re bringing back the Panitchayasawad House?”

Panitchayasawad was once a household name. In fact, it is one of the four Noble Houses which the House Vongviphan is also included. The Panitchayasawad were the House of the East but ever since Wayo’s father died, their House name died with him. Wayo’s father dies from a secret attack from one of his travels on business. Whoever did it, they burned their properties and estates.

They suspected a secret political clique to destroy the Panitchayasawad House and their target was Wayo, the heir. To protect the heir of the Panitchayasawad House, his father married Wayo’s mother and joined the Vongviphan House. The decision was ordered by the Royal Family of Ceres, Jamornhum. It was one of the reasons why Beam was overprotective of Wayo. There are certain people who would hurt him. Fortunately, Beam’s father is a wise man and their House is a strong one, too.

“Yes, Beam. Wayo was on board on the idea. It is also the reason why Wayo is studying under me.” The patriarch exhaled loudly. “That is why arranged marriage is an important role here. I wanted Wayo to have a spouse with a strong House name that will back him up just in case but if you insist on Phana, then we will rely on Wayo’s decision.”

This is why he doesn’t want to be involved in politics. It is so messy but he still believed that Wayo would try to consider Phana, after all, Wayo loved him.

“So, I am the one with an arranged marriage then.” Beam stated with dread.

“Truthfully, I have a list on who I’ll marry you off to but since I’m being considerate, I’ll let you choose.” Beam did a double take on his father’s words.

“What?”

“I’ll let you choose a possible candidate and-” His father leaned forward on the table considering his decision. “present them to me but if I don’t approve of them then I’ll marry you to someone my choice and our deal about Phana courting Wayo is off.” Damn, his old man is so difficult. The Vongviphan patriarch is hard to please that played favor on the businesses under his name.

“Fine, father. You win.” Beam’s glare is back and his Father smirked at him.

“At least get someone in higher status, would you?” Beam rolled his eyes at him.

This is better than nothing at all. He will just find someone that his father likes to be a Vongviphan and he can guarantee Wayo’s happiness. Stupid old man. Where will he get someone that isn’t afraid of his father? One step at a time. Get Phana on board first. Wayo is still top priority.

The patriarch hummed as he continued eating his dinner. They have just talked about important matters in the dining room. But since his father is not worried, Beam suspected that their head steward instructed the servants to get them some privacy. Beam noticed that the butler was back and getting food on a silver tray.

“Get this food to your brother. He didn’t even touch his dinner since you stormed in.” Lord Vongviphan instructed Beam. He nodded and got the tray from their butler and left his father in the dining room. Beam trudged to Wayo’s door and gathered some courage before knocking on the heavy hard wood door.

“Yo, Let’s talk please.” Beam pleaded.

“Go away P’Beam! I don’t want to see you right now!” Okay, that hurt but this is for Wayo so he’ll get used to it.

“I know you’re hungry, so I’ll leave the food here” He set the tray on the floor carefully. “I am on your side Yo, I will choose your happiness over mine at any given moment. I am sorry for what happened earlier but I would not let you be in a loveless marriage. I had to do it.” With that Beam walked away from the door. He just hopes that Yo listened to him.

Now, he really needs to see Phana and convince him to court his little brother. He won’t sleep until he can settle this so he decided to go to Phana’s tenement room in the city. Their head steward was in the parlour when Beam was searching for him.

“P’James, can you get the carriage ready. I’ll go to the city tonight.” The head steward smiled at him politely. P’James is an elderly man that is very efficient in his job. Beam considered him a grandfather since he was in the Vongviphan household as long as he can remember. He was their most trusted employee.

“Young master. I’m sorry but our carriage night driver is on leave. You can go tomorrow morning.” P’James explained it to him. ”Besides, It’s already deep into the night, young master.”

“This is important. I really need to go tonight and see Phana. Can I have my horse instead?” Beam used his puppy eyes to P’James, Yo was not the only one who had this weapon. Besides, he was the one who taught Yo to do it.

“It’s not safe on the outside, young master.” P’James chided him. “But I can send Lam with you.”

Beam smiled sweetly to the old steward as they strides to the servant’s quarter in search of Lam. Vongviphan house is a very generous house. Their servants were treated fairly and like family. That is why there are so many loyal to the Vongviphan house.

House Vongviphan is among the four Noble Houses. Noble Houses were the families that started out the royalty line of Ceres from a thousand years ago. Kongthanin in the West, Panitchayasawad in the East, Jamornhum in the South and Vongviphan in the North. There are many houses that emergers in the long run but the four Noble houses are still the most powerful and respected.

Of course, it created wars between the houses before but it resulted in treaties of lands under the name of one King. The Crown name now rests on the Jamornhum House where their entire line would be the royalties of Ceres. It is mostly peaceful but some small Houses rebel from time to time to get to the Crown. The most recent tragedy is the fall of Panitchayasawad House. Many said that it was an act of rebellion, a secret group that had targeted the Four Noble Houses starting on the first Noble House but no attacks were made after that. There are rumors circulating that they are still rebel groups that are planning the fall of the Crown name Jamornhum.

The tragedy of the Panitchayasawad House made the Royal House Name Jamornhum to isolate themselves from the entire country. Kongthanin House of the West distanced themselves from the Crown name after the tragedy, too. Only trusted Jamornhum royals and their trusted houses were governing the official affairs. The Southern Kingdom was so heavily guarded that no one can set foot in and leave without an official business. They’ve seen the King and Queen but never once they’ve seen the current King and Queen’s only son. They only knew his name, Jaturapoom Jamornhum but other than that, no information was given.

The remaining houses stood independently from the Jamornhum House. They don't have affiliations on the Crown but still heed the country's rules. Vongviphan House is still an independent House and the last time they had contact with the Royal House Name Jamornhum was the marriage of his Father to Wayo’s mother. Beam’s father mostly handles the business so he doesn’t really know what is the current relationship of their House to the Crown Name.

The old steward and Beam arrived in the west wing of the Manor where the servant’s quarter was. P’James knocked in one of the rooms and waited a little bit as he heard a shuffle on the other end.

“Yes?” Lam opened the door and was shocked to see P’James and Beam.

“Young master, P’James, good evening.” Lam greeted politely and turned to P”James.

“I’m sorry to disturb your night Lam, can you accompany young master Beam in the city? He wishes to see Master Phana.” Their butler explained to Lam gesturing at Beam.

“I’m truly sorry Lam, I know it’s your off but P’James wouldn’t let me go if you're not with me and I need to speak to Pha.” Beam was afraid of P’James, he was scary if he wanted to be so it’s better not to anger him. Lam glanced inside his room and nodded at them. Beam peered inside and saw their helper Leah in between the sheets. He grimaced at Lam.

“But if you are busy, I can go alone.” Of course, Lam would be with his girlfriend on his off day.

“Do not worry about it, Young master Beam.” Lam smirked at him. Beam rolled his eyes at him.

“Say hi to Leah for me.” Lam scowled at him and Beam just chuckled. Lam and Leah are great assets on the Manor and also his friends but they still called him master even though he asked to call him in his given name since they are the same age. Lam is one of the escorts assigned to Beam wherever he goes. They got through the training together and became friends.

“I’ll go get our horses.” Lam sprinted to get their horses and he waited at the main entrance of the mansion for Lam along with P’James. They both catch the sight of Lam bringing two horses towards them.

“Please be careful young master Beam. I know that Aberdale is in Vongviphan territory but it doesn’t hurt to be careful.” The old butler reminded him. Aberdale is the name of the land of the North of Ceres where the Vongviphan House resides. Beam was being safe and he knew how to protect himself. He may be a doctor but he was still the heir of a powerful house in Ceres.

“Of course, P’. Lam is also with me so we’ll be safe.” Beam gestured to Lam as he climbed to his horse. Lam winked at P’James and they both took off into the city.

Chapter 3

Notes:

Hello, this is chapter 3. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 3

They both arrived in no time since it was already dead at night. Beam was hoping Phana was in here and not on the night bar. Also, he hopes that he was not with any one night stand tonight or he will unleash hell. Beam is giving Phana an opportunity of a lifetime here.

Beam started banging on Phana’s tenement door. He wouldn’t care if he would wake the whole city for it. They need to discuss their plans now.

“Pha! Open the damn door!” Beam yelled through the entrance of the door.

“Master, can you lower down your voice a little bit? I think Master Pha will get some angry neighbors at this rate.” Lam reasoned with Beam.

“I will be the one who’ll get angry at this rate if he won’t open this stupid door in a second!” Beam still yelled. He was losing patience. “Phana Itthipat Thanit!”

The door was opened abruptly by someone who is not Phana.

“Heavens above Beam, that was loud. I think you damaged my hearing and the whole country of Ceres.”

Lam snickered at the comment as Beam took the sight in front of him, The tanned man was yawning as he ran his fingers through his hair. He was in a simple white shirt and pants but it still screams elegance. His handsome face was still scowling at Beam, still irritated that someone disturbed his sleep. Beam narrowed his eyes at him.

“The hell, Forth? What are you doing here?!” The man just motioned to them to come in.

“Why are you in here?” Beam questioned Forth again as he and Lam entered the tenement room. Forth closed the door and rubbed his eyes to wake himself up. The gesture was somewhat cute to Beam since Forth was tall and had somewhat defined muscles. Okay, brain stop it, he didn’t need that information now.

Forth Kreepolrerk is an accomplished engineer. They studied in the same university but he was in Engineering. Forth was a distant relative of Phana and because of that Forth hangs out with them whenever he could. They became fast friends, he can even consider Forth as one of his close friends aside from his best friends.

Even though Beam was a Vongviphan heir, Forth didn’t even blink on his title which Beam was grateful for, aside from Phana and Kit, his other best friend. Everyone else groveled at his feet since he was the heir of a powerful house in the country. When Beam invited Phana to the Vongviphan house, he also invited Forth.

To his disappointment, Forth turned down the idea. He wanted to be an engineer without any attachment to a powerful name which he has done in the next few years. Now, he made a name for himself and a sought after engineer. He visited them in Aberdale on a regular occasion since Phana was a distant relative, he checked him occasionally and went with Kit and Beam on medical travels in the Aberdale provinces sometimes.

“Should I be the one asking that, Beammie? It’s the middle of the night. It’s dangerous to travel at night.” Forth put his hands on his waist ready to scold him. He was way worse than P’James on safety. Beam rolled his eyes at him.

“Lam was with me so it’s fine.” Beam gestured at Lam and he sat down at the sofa. Forth knows Lam since he was guarding Beam on a daily basis.

“Hey Lam.” Greeted Forth to his escort. Lam saluted the guy and remained at his post near the door. “So, what are you doing here?” Forth asked him.

“I need to talk to Phana, where is he by the way and why are you here? I didn’t know you’re visiting.” Beam glared at Forth. He was his friend, he wanted to know if his friend would be in Aberdale. Aberdale is his territory, he should know Forth is coming. Beam missed his stupid smug face. It had been a month since they saw each other. Being an engineer, Forth is required to travel since he has many clients all over Ceres. Beam believed Forth has no permanent address. He will just rent an Inn and travel the following week.

Forth offered them a drink then answered Beam. “I just got here a few hours in. Pha’s errand boy said that Pha decided to take the graveyard shift today so I was alone here. I was travelling the whole day and I don’t want the hassle to go to an inn so I decided to stay in here.”

“You should have sent an errand boy to the Vongviphan Manor, I can lend you a room there. Wayo will be glad if he saw you there. He needs a friendly face.” Beam whined at Forth. Yo had also met Forth and instantly become his idol. Who wouldn’t? Someone like Forth should be a role model. Making a name for himself from scratch was amazing.

Forth ruffled his hair and smiled.

“No need. Pha’s sofa is comfortable.” he pointed to the sofa that Beam was sitting at.

“The hell, you slept on the sofa?” Forth just nodded. “The more I’ll insist that you’ll stay on the Manor.”

“It’s fine Beam. I’ll find a Inn tomorrow-”

“No, you’ll stay in the Manor.” Beam interrupted Forth with a glare. Beam was anything but stubborn, He will win one way or another.

“Fine, Beammie. You win.” Beam grinned at Forth. See, he always wins.

Then, suddenly the door opened revealing Phana. The Head doctor was startled looking at Lam near the door and Phana’s eyes shifted to Beam and Forth at the sofa.

“Forth!” Phana sprinted at Forth and hugged him. Forth chuckled at the reaction.

“How are you, man?” Forth asked, returning Phana’s hug. Beam rolled his eyes on the reaction. Seriously, a hug? He didn’t even hug Forth when he saw him. Beam narrowed his eyes at the two. He has more urgent matters at hand.

“Okay, okay, break it up!” Tugging the two buffalo apart. There’s no question these two are related, they are so freaking tall. “I have some news.”

“About what?” Phana asked, bringing his bag down on the floor.

“This is about Wayo.” Phana definitely straightened up at the name but pouted the second after.

“Wayo’s marriage?” Pha dejectedly asked Beam.

“Wait, Yo’s getting married?” asked Forth who was confused.

”Ridiculous right? I heard it first in Phana’s mouth earlier today.” Beam was so shocked that he stomped all the way home to confront his father.

Forth turned to Phana. “It was a rumor going around the sanatorium. Wayo will be in an arranged marriage with someone that their father approves of. So, I asked Beam about it.” Pha shrugged at Forth.

“My father didn’t even discuss it with me. That’s why I came home immediately to confirm. Sadly, it is all true. Even Wayo agreed on it.” Beam rubbed his temple. Phana looks like the whole world was suddenly at his feet.

“Why did your father suddenly want to marry Wayo off?” Forth tilted his head a little bit. It reminded Beam of a confused dog. He chuckled a little at the thought.

“Stupid old man wanted to retire.” Beam shrugged and explained the details about his father trying to deceive them into dying. “The nerve of my father. Vongviphan House had the best doctors, he won’t get into that trick.” Both Phana and Beam have the same smug on their faces.

“Also, my father wanted to revive the Panitchayasawad House.” Beam added in a hushed voice.

They were both rendered speechless but Forth quickly recovered.

“He will revive it after Wayo gets married?” Beam just nodded. It’s a complicated situation, sure. If Phana would be successful in getting married to Wayo, Phana would definitely help in restoring the Panitchayasawad House Name.

“So, what will happen now?” The Engineer asked Beam. Forth also knows about Phana’s little love tragedy to Yo. Beam turned towards Pha.

“You are lucky that I persuade Father about this.” Beam sighed at Phana.

“Father agreed that you can court Wayo and even get his blessing if Wayo would choose you to marry.” Phana’s face brightened upon hearing those words but then it clearly wiped out on his face.

“What if Wayo would not choose me?” Phana paled at his own words. Beam cannot resist but Beam smacked Pha’s head so hard. It was his little brother’s happiness that is at stake here. Phana should be on his best game.

“The hell, Beam?” Pha complained.

“That is why you should bring your A game. Yo is in love with you, so make him fall in love with you more so that he would not marry someone else other than you!” He couldn’t believe that this is the same Phana that topped their exams at the university.

“He’s in love with me? Wayo’s in love with me? Beammie?!” Oops. Wayo will definitely kill him now. That was a blood secret between him and his brother but Phana needs little motivation. Wayo will be happy with Phana on his side. Phana was obviously ecstatic. He was shaking Beam’s frame carelessly. His face is getting creepy at the weird aura of happiness surrounding him which pisses off Beam.

“You idiot, get off me.” Beam pushed Phana away from him. “Why would I invite you to Vongviphan House if he didn’t?”

“Aww, I thought you invited me because I’m your friend.” Phana scowled at him.

“Ha! You wish.” Beam made a face.

“And why the hell you just told me now! I should have courted Wayo a long time ago.” Now, Phana is the one getting angry. “I only hesitated because I was sure he didn’t like me.”

“Wayo only hesitated to confess to you because you don’t have a House Name, Pha.”

Forth and Phana looked at each other when Beam answered Phana’s question. Beam guessed that they were having a conversation through their eyes but Beam continued.

“I made a blood promise with Wayo that is why I didn’t even speak about it.” Beam explained it to Phana. “But I invited you to be part of the Vongviphan House so that Wayo can see you and be with you.”

Phana gulped hard. “You did that for Wayo?”

“Of course, he is my brother. I wanted him to be happy. So better make him choose you! This is the best deal I can offer you both.” Beam threatened his best friend. “This came with a heavy price. So, don’t screw this up and make my brother happy or I‘ll be the one who will send you to your death.” Phana made a ‘cross my heart’ gesture at Beam.

“Wait, you said it came with a heavy price, What is it?” Hands off to Forth for being attentive. Beam groaned as he sat back to the sofa rubbing his tired face.

“I gotta get married first.” Beam muttered.

“What?!” They both yelled at the same time.

Notes:

Comments are highly appreciated!

Chapter 4

Notes:

Hello! How are you? I am so happy with the few comments on the story. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 4

“Aish, If I can’t get married first, the deal about Phana and Wayo’s courtship is off.” Phana’s face fell.

There’s a flash of emotion in Forth’s eyes that fade away quickly before Beam can comprehend. What was that about? Beam just shrugged it off and quickly shifted again to his dilemma.

“What now?” Phana asked. “I can’t ask that from you, Beam. I know you value your freedom the most.”

“I won’t let Wayo marry some old dude that has money and fame, Pha. You’re my best bet on this. I’ll just need someone who I can marry.” Phana was relieved to hear those words but Beam knew he wasn’t totally on board with the idea.

“Should we contract some girls? I can arrange some.” Why the heck Forth can contract some girls? He gave Forth a nasty look.

“It’s not that simple, Forth.” He tsked at him. “They should be approved by my father and by saying that I can cross out almost everybody! Everyone is afraid of him!” Beam grabbed his hair in distress and he continued to rant. Even though that Vongviphan household is a generous house, people are still afraid of his father. His father was a ruthless business merchant. Not everybody can get friendly with him.

“He requested at least they must have a higher status, a decent name, someone that my father can groom to be the head of the Vongviphan House. Where can I find someone like that on short notice? And by the way, if he doesn't like them he’ll marry me to someone of his choice. Oh my god help me!” He glared pointedly at his friends. Phana and Forth looked at each other.

Then Forth sighed.

“But Beam, You’ll be the one who’ll get married. What do you want them to be?” Beam stared at Forth. This guy would be popular among a crowd. Forth can pick up social cues, was kind and so considerate, and he didn’t even think to question himself this. He just accepted it.

“I.. I wanted someone who can live with me.” He stuttered at Forth’s earnest eyes. Pha chuckled at Forth’s side. Beam’s eyes slide to his best friend.

“What’s wrong with his answer?” Forth hissed at Phana. Ha! Take that Pha.

“Good luck finding that someone. I lived with him for almost two months in the dorms, man. I moved out because I was helping with my uncle’s business and lived with them until graduation. All Beam’s roommate after me cannot even last a week with him. Even Kit gave up on him.” Beam kicked Pha’s shin repeatedly.

Even with a Vongviphan name, his father allowed him to be in dorms. It was actually a punishment that Beam chose Medicine instead of their Business. Lam, his escort was there too but he was guarding Beam outside his university dorm. It did not last long since no one would room with Beam because he will nag the person to death if there’s a single thing he did not like. Phana put up with him, that's why they are friends. In the end, his father bought him a house where he and other escorts can guard him properly, too. And by house, he means a large house. Not as big as their manor but big enough for three people to get lost in it.

“Aw, Ouch! But it’s the truth Beammie! You know that!” Yes, he knows that. Beam was very particular and he doesn’t really mingle with people outside Phana and Kit. Forth was actually a miracle. They didn’t even think he'd end up having a close relationship with Forth.

“Don’t worry Beam, we’ll find you someone.” Forth reassured Beam as he ruffled his head.

“Where can we find someone like that?” Beam groaned. It will be a challenge that’s for sure. Especially that he is so picky. Even when they get through Beam, he can’t be so sure about his father.

Thus, the search of Beam’s spouse became their top priority. After the talk at Phana’s tenement, they decided to plan the later in the day since they were all sleep deprived. The sun was rising when they were all talking. Phana lends a carriage from their tenement so that Beam and Lam can safely go back to the Vongviphan Manor. Their horses will be at the tenements' small pen and promise to get back their horses at the end of the day from someone from the Vongviphan House.

“Forth, come back with me to the Manor. Wayo would be delighted to see you and Phana’s couch is not comfortable.” Beam heard a protest from Phana but he ignored it. Forth just smiled at him.

“I have an early meeting with a client so I can’t come with you right now.” Beam scowled at Forth.

“Hey, don’t pout. Phana and I will go to the Manor later today, how’s that? Besides, we need to plan.” That got Beam to grin at Forth and climbed happily on the carriage.

“I’ll hold on to that. Don’t break promises!” Beam called out from the carriage windows as Lam got the carriage to move. Forth laughed and waved goodbye at Beam.

They arrived at the Vongviphan Manor after a while. Beam notices Wayo in the entrance of the Manor with P’James. When Wayo saw Beam get off the carriage, he strode to Beam looking pissed off. In these moments, Beam’s afraid of his life. Wayo is scary when he is angry.

“Good morning, little brother.” Beam smiled at his brother to hide his nervousness but it came out a grimace instead. Wayo is seething at him with his arms crossed.

“P’Beam, when I said I didn't want to see you last night, it doesn’t mean that you’ll spend the night outside the Manor! What if someone will ambush you? What if that’s the last time I saw you? Why are you laughing?!” Beam chuckled on his worried sweet little brother. Beam gathered Wayo in his arms.

“I’m sorry. But I was safe. Lam is with me.” Wayo calmed down and returned his hug.

“Where did you go anyway?” Wayo asked after they broke the hug. Beam smirked at him.

“Didn’t you ask P’James?”

Wayo shook his head. “P’James just said that you went out last night. I was so pissed off I didn’t catch the rest or where you spent the night.” Beam broadened his teasing grin.

“I went to Pha’s tenement last night.” Wayo’s eyes widened.

“Hey, we didn’t do anything that’s on your head right now. Ew, Phana’s my best friend.” It’s so much fun teasing Wayo.

“I did not think about that!” Wayo blushed and slapped Beam’s arm. “Why are you there anyway?” His brother pouted and Beam just chuckled and caressed the arm that Wayo slapped.

“Let’s discuss it in my office. I have something to tell you too.” Wayo nodded and they walked towards the mansion.

Even if his father was against Beam’s occupation as a doctor he still granted him an office at the Manor. His father was weird like that. He was so vocal about his disdain for Beam being a doctor but still gave him the freedom to practice and even gave him the liberty to manage their sanatoriums. It means that his father still favored him because he was his father’s heir. Maybe that was also the reason why he gave Beam a chance to choose a candidate. Bean thinks that his father was just worried about him. Hopefully, he can also gain his father’s approval on whoever will be his choice on his marriage.

Beam pushed the large oak door of his office and Wayo entered after him. Beam loves his office. Aside from his room, he spends the most time here when he is at home. It is quite large but not that grand in his opinion. All of the items here were personally picked by him. Beam is a very particular man and he is mostly neat. He can be sloppy but only when he is stressed.

There is a walnut bookcase lining in the entire left hand wall. There is also a very tasteful couch with his favorite throw blanket draped over the arm. The far wall has a large fireplace and mantle dominating the center, with bookshelves lining it on either side. Next to the shelf is an upright piano and bench in dark walnut. Hanging on the wall above the piano is a painting of the Vongviphan Manor that was painted by Wayo. His most favorite was his large window pane behind his mahogany desk because if you just lean back to his chair he can see the beautiful azure sky.

Today, the sky is delft-blue, cloudless and so bright it looked solid. Beam admired it before closing the drapes from the windows and sat behind his desk. Wayo took his seat in front of the piano and tinkled some tune on the ivory keys.

Beam softly smiled at Wayo. The kid was really involved in the arts but still studied the Vongviphan business to please their father. It was essential if he will lead the Panitchayasawad House in the future so Beam can’t refute that.

“Yo..” Beam started. Wayo turned on the chair and looked at Beam with his clear eyes. “I’m really sorry about last night. I just revealed it because I don’t want you to be stuck in a loveless marriage or just because you wanted a good name for reviving your House.”

“Oh, father told you about that, huh?” Wayo looked at the floor dejectedly.

Beam just nodded. “Father explained to me the importance of having a great House name for protection for rebuilding the name of Panitchayasawad.”

“I admit it really hurt P’Beam. That was our blood secret but you just said it like it didn’t matter.” Beam winced at that but Wayo continued, now looking at Beam. “But in some ways I feel relieved. I wanted to tell father so many times about P’Pha but in the end I chickened out. P’Pha is great, the only thing that he doesn’t have is a House name.” Wayo sadly said to him.

“Well, chin up little brother since I’ve convinced father to let Pha court you.” Wayo snapped his head so fast at Beam and his eyes in total disbelief.

“P’Beam, what?”

“You can ask father about it but Phana can court you. It came with certain conditions but still if I can pull this off, you’ll get Phana on your side.”

“Conditions? What conditions? And P’Pha wants to court me? What?” His little brother was frazzled by so many things at once.

“Deep breaths, Yo.” Beam walked towards Wayo and rubbed his shoulders carefully. “This is a good thing, so deep breaths.” Wayo calmed down a little and nodded towards Beam.

“So, you went to P’Pha to convince him to court me? P’Pha doesn’t even looked at me that way P’Beam, I would still be stuck at a loveless marriage if that happens!” Wayo’s voice is raising his voice word after word. Beam knows that Wayo would panic because he believed that his feelings were just one sided.

“Yo, Pha didn’t court you because he was sure that his feelings for you are also one sided.” Now, Wayo’s eyes were as big as the saucers.

”Phana was in love with you after your first meeting. I think it was also the reason why he eagerly accepted to be part of the Vongviphan house. It was because of you, Yo.” Beam explained to the still eyed eyed Wayo. “Pha always talked my ears off about you, he always considers your time together as a date, you know, honestly, it’s getting annoying.”

“P’Pha’s in love with me?” Yo muttered to himself but Beam still heard it clearly. He smiled at that. Then, Wayo cleared his throat and asked Beam.

“What conditions, P’Beam?”

“I got to get married first before you, Yo.” he answered.

“Wait, what?” Beam then explained the conditions to Wayo. On how he also asked Phana and Forth to help him find someone that they can hail as a perfect candidate to the Vongviphan patriarch.

“P’Forth and P’Pha agreed to this?” Wayo looked at him intently. Especially when Wayo heard Forth’s name. Beam nodded and just brushed it off.

“Help me this time, Yo. I promise that Pha will make you happy for the rest of your life because if he didn’t I will personally kill him.” Beam begged his brother with conviction.

“But I want to make you happy too, P’Beam. Our blood secret-” Beam cut him off.

“Happiness is not on the table right now Yo, I’m just glad that father made me choose a candidate first.”

“But, what about your heart’s happiness? I can convince father for you. He is weak against my puppy eyes.” Wayo demonstrated his big puppy eyes at him. Wayo is the sweetest, Beam decided.

Beam ruffled Wayo’s soft hair. “He wanted to test my limits because I’m a Vongviphan and I accepted that as a challenge. So, I need to find someone that at least can tolerate me and can tame our beloved father. Can you support big brother on this, Yo?” Beam sadly asked him.

Wayo quickly hugged him for comfort and Beam returned it tightly. He can set aside his heart’s happiness for Yo. In the meantime, they should really start finding him a spouse.

Notes:

Thank you for reading!

Chapter 5

Notes:

Hi! How are you? Enjoy, This is chapter 5!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 5

It’s been a week since Beam, Phana, Forth agreed that they will get some information on the families around Aberdale and some Forth’s contractors to get a list. Wayo even helped to get some friends to meet with Beam. It’s a week of full disaster. Beam met with some of the respectable ladies around Aberdale but he can always come up with something wrong about them.

“Beam, you’ve rejected all of my list! They are my friends, you know!” Phana scowled at Beam. The Vongviphan heir just rolled his eyes at his best friend.

“Your so called friends are either too chatty or too bratty! Heck! They can’t even impress me, how much more if I will present them to my father? They will be eaten alive in a second!” Beam defended. The ladies were too clingy, Beam felt like he was a prey on shackles and ready to be devoured alive. He shuddered thinking about it.

“Must you turn them down rudely? You made Lady Celia cry, Beam.” Kit said as he entered the room. They were in Kit’s townhouse in Aberdale. They were having afternoon tea in the drawing room where his best friends nagged him about being rude and picky.

They couldn't get a hold of Kit last week because he was with his family in Caros, a provincial part of Aberdale where the Intochar House resides. They are one of the few houses that are under the House of Vongviphan. It would take two days to send a messenger to Caros so Beam decided that he'd just talk to Kit when he came back to the main City. When Kit came back, he scolded Beam so much but grumpily agreed to help Beam.

“Not only that! You even insulted Sir Rayleigh of House Kenton!” Kit snapped at him and sipped his tea to calm down. Yes, Beam even met with some awful Lords that were too enthusiastic to be his husband. Being a Vongviphan will make them powerful and greedy. Beam was also sure that his father wouldn’t approve of their ways.

“Hey, he was so obnoxious! Even making some crude comments! And I just speak the truth, it’s on him that he got offended.” Beam again defended himself. They have been through their list and all of them were not even worth his presence. Phana shaked his head in disbelief.

“He was Forth’s client! You are lucky that Forth was there and placate the situation.” Beam frowned at that and took a bite of his biscuit. True, he was grateful that Forth was there whenever he met with someone on their list. Forth’s handsome face can charm all of them and bear no ill will at Beam at the end of the conversations. The engineer is such a people pleaser that annoyed Beam to an extent.

“Where is he by the way? I’ve sent a messenger to him like hours ago.” Beam asked them. He pesters Forth to stay on the Vongviphan Manor for about a week too. Whenever Beam asks Forth about it, the man will just smile and find some kind of excuse to take care of his business. Forth did break his promise that he would go to the Vongviphan Manor that afternoon when he promised Beam that he would show up. Beam sulked that evening but Phana showed up with an apology basket of sweet biscuits from Forth and forgave him that easily. Forth knows him too well.

“You know that Forth is busy. He takes care of his business after accompanying you for a week to meet with the candidates.” Phana answered him. Beam winced at that. He felt guilty about it and wants to apologize to Forth.

“Yeah, Beam. Have a little consideration. I am amazed that Forth is still your friend after all of this.” Kit commented.

“Hey! Forth is a supportive friend, unlike you two!” Beam stuck his tongue out to them childishly. Kit smacked his head in return.

“Ouch, Kitty!” Beam complained. “I feel sorry for Mingkwan that he will marry you! He will be a battered husband for sure!”

Kit is already engaged to the second son of Daichapanya House. As a rising house, the Intochar patriarch promised his children to different houses for alliances. Initially, Beam was supposed to be his fiance but Rose, Wayo’s mother, strongly disapproved of it. Kit’s father honored it because Intochar House became prominent under the direction of House Vongviphan. They’ve owed the Vongviphan House so much that he would not dare to lose connections with them.

Kit’s father found another house and it was the Daichapanya House. House Daichapanya is a close House of the Royal Crown Name, House Jamornhum. They were a house of soldiers, military and rumor has it, they were also assassins that served under the crown. Being tied to that house is a good deal so Kit's father forged an alliance through an engagement of his son, Kit and the second born Mingkwan Daichapanya. They’ve never met but they exchanged letters. Beam always teased Kit about the letters because it was so full of cringy romantic nonsense and Kit’s face would always turn red.

“Shut up, Beam!” Kit smacked his head harder this time and continued smacking him wherever Kit’s hand could reach from his seat.

“Ow, ow, Ouch, Kitty! Pha! Help!” Phana, the traitor just ignored him and just continued to drink his tea.

“What is it, this time?” They all look to the voice from the door. Forth stands there with a slight smirk, clearly amused with Beam and Kit’s shenanigans.

“Forttttthh!! Helpppppp!!” Beam sprinted towards Forth and hid behind his back. Forth laughed and Kit drew a long suffering sigh. Phana rolled his eyes at Beam’s antics.

“Yeah, yeah. Your knight in shining armor is here. Won’t bother you anymore.” Kit raised both his hands in surrender. Forth chuckled and dragged Beam with him to sit on the chair. Beam was clinging on Forth's arm, still wary of Kit’s smacks. Forth sat at the chair available and Beam sat beside him away from Kit.

“‘So what’s the plan now?” Forth asked after pouring himself a tea.

“Well, We don’t have a plan since Beam ruined it all.” Phana mocked Beam. Kit nodded fast at Phana’s answer while Beam squirmed in his seat.

“Is everything alright with your business with Sir Rayleigh of House Kenton? We can send Beam to apologize if it didn’t.” Kit asked Forth. Beam is pouting just eating the biscuits again. He knows he is guilty and he can’t do that to Forth, Rayleigh is one of his big contractors.

“I’ll apologize if you want Forth, he was your client after all. Even if he was so crude.” Beam muttered in disdain. He’ll do it for Forth’s sake.

“No, don’t worry about it. I’ve already talked to him.” Forth smiled at Beam. “He will never say anything inappropriate to you ever again.” He ruffled Beam’s hair and handed Beam another sweet biscuit. Phana was intently looking at Forth like he knew something and Forth just shrugged at him. Beam cannot shake the amiss feeling he has in Forth’s last sentence but he did not delve in it and happily accepted the biscuit that he offered.

“So, we don’t have another plan?” Kit asked them.

“We can gather another list, Let’s go beyond Aberdale this time. I can send messages for my contractors all over Ceres.” Forth suggested to them.

“That’s a good idea. What do you say Beam?” Kit asked Beam. Beam was still contemplating about it. It is indeed a good idea if they search beyond Aberdale but Beam is also sure it would be a great headache. After a very stressful week, he cannot go through it again abruptly into the next week. Not to mention that he is burdening Forth accompanying him. He just wanted to rest for a little bit and clear his head for the next step.

“Yeah, we can do that.” Beam nodded at them and whined. “But can we rest for the next week? This week drained me.”

“Sure, take it easy Beam. We still have time. Your father did not even ask for a timeline, so we can relax for a little bit.” Forth, forever his saint, agreed with him. Phana and Kit grumbled but nodded anyway.
“Speaking of taking it easy, Forth, you need to sleep. You look like you haven’t slept a wink.” Phana stared pointedly at Forth. Beam snapped his gaze to Forth. Despite the cool aura that Forth gives off, Beam noticed that there’s a thin line of stress in his eyes. He looks overworked but his charming smile mostly hides it.

“It’s all Beammie’s fault.” Kit commented offhandedly.

“Yeah, it is.” Phana nodded along with Kit.

“I’m sure it’s Pha’s uncomfortable sofa’s fault!” Beam hissed at Phana.

“Hey! Do not bring my nice, comfortable sofa in this!” Phana countered Beam. Kit facepalmed while Forth laughed wholeheartedly.

“Sorry to burst your bubble Pha, but your sofa is horrible. But yeah it’s my fault.” Beam looked at Forth. “I’m so sorry Forth. I dragged you into this. You lose sleep because of it. I’m a horrible friend.”

Kit and Pha look surprised at Beam’s apology to Forth. Beam never did that, he will apologize but it takes time before he’ll admit his mistakes. Beam is difficult like that but Forth clearly an exemption.

“Beam, it’s fine, I’m fine.” Forth narrowed his eyes at Phana and glanced at Beam again.

“But-” Beam started to protest but Forth cut him off.

“How about I take your offer to stay at the Vongviphan Manor to take a few days off of work. The offer still stands, right?” Beam’s face lights up at that.

“Really?”

“I can come tonight. I just need to get my stuff from Phana’s tenement.” Forth reassured him.

“Yay! We can hang out with Wayo, too. I’m sure he missed you. You’ve been here a week and you did not try to visit him. He will be sulking at you.” Forth flashed his gorgeous smile at Beam that temporarily blinded him.

“I’ll come prepared. You both love sweet biscuits, Wayo would forgive me in an instant.” Forth smirked at Beam.

“I want to hang out with Wayo, too!” Phana whined at them.

“Hmp! You’re not invited Phana!” They start bickering with each other as they regularly do and Kit will attempt to make them stop but will get wind up to the bickering too. Forth will just look at them amused and stay out of the way until they’ll yell out his name and make him choose a side.

Beam missed this. It’s been a while since they have been like this. It’s comfortable and reassuring. Despite the problems he is facing right now, he is glad that he has friends like them.

Notes:

What are your thoughts about the story so far? Comments are highly appreciated!

Chapter 6

Notes:

Hi! How are you? Thank you for reading this story. This is the next chapter. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 6

“How much is this?” Beam asked the old man who sells local jewelry and fancy stones. They were currently in the merchants market in town. Forth said that they need to buy fresh sweet biscuits for a gift for Wayo and the best ones are on the merchants market. Phana and Kit tagged along with them saying they wanted to visit Wayo too. His bestfriends made their way to the other stalls on the market leaving him and Forth behind. Beam volunteered to accompany Forth to the small bakery.

Forth was saying something about sweets when Beam caught a sight of an interesting jewelry in one of the stalls. Beam got to the display hurriedly and asked for its price. In his hands sits a crystal white orb necklace with a blue swirl inside. It was so mesmerizing.

“Beautiful, isn't it?” The old man asked him. Beam nodded. “That’s a Jamornhum crystal. Five gold and it’s yours.” Beam is suspicious. Jamornhum crystal? Jamornhum crystal was a jewelry that was produced by the Jamornhum House but it was stopped for a long time. It was stopped when the Jamornhum House took over the Crown name of Ceres after a decade of war. It was so long that Jamornhum crystal is now very rare. Jamornhum crystal or not, the necklace was so beautiful to be ignored.

“I’ll take it.” The old man was too happy to receive the gold from Beam that the man sprouted Jamornhum crystal stories to him. The merchant handed out the necklace to him and Beam quickly pocketed the jewelry. Beam zoned out the old man’s voice and realized that Forth was not with him. He almost panicked but then Forth’s familiar voice yelled his name.

“Beam!” he looked at his right and saw Forth dashed towards him.

“Forth! Where were you?” Beam asked. He thought Forth was with him the whole time.

“I should be the one asking you that! You ran off somewhere when I was not looking.” Forth glared at him. Beam pouted, he didn't want an angry Forth.

“I’m sorry.” Beam whispered.

“Don’t do that again. You almost gave me a heart attack.” Forth eased out and let out a breath. “It’s not safe for you to be alone. Lam is not here either. So you need to stick by me.”

“Okay.” Beam promised. Then, Forth grabbed Beam’s wrist and kept him on his side. Beam just let him. It’s more safe to be with Forth. He would surely panic if Forth did not see him first. Forth brought him to the bakery surrounded by the delightful smell of newly baked breads. They purchased sweet biscuits and bread. Then, they made their way back to the carriage and waited for Phana and Kit.
They arrived before dinner time in the Vongviphan Manor. As usual, the three of them bickered through the whole carriage ride while Forth happily watched the scenery ride through the Vongviphan Manor. When they arrived, Beam’s best friends sauntered through the Manor like they own it, Forth on the other hand, like the gentlemen that he is, waited for Beam to set foot in the Manor before he followed him inside.

“Wow, your father has a great taste.” Forth told Beam as he stepped inside. His eyes roamed around as they entered the Manor appreciating the rich architectural designs inside. It dawned on Beam that it was Forth’s first time in the Manor. They have been friends for so long but Forth never once stepped to the Manor or met his father. Beam always invited Forth to hang out in the Manor but the man always had a valid excuse. It also doesn’t help that Forth just stayed in Aberdale in a limited time. If Beam thinks about it, this is the most time that Forth stayed in Aberdale. It made him happy because it means he can be with Forth a little bit longer than a week.

“Don’t tell my father that, he will be so smug about it. It irritates me.” Beam pulls a face at Forth. The engineer just chuckled lightly. Phana and Kit were already nowhere in sight, maybe they were already in the parlour or in the dining room. Beam noticed their steward coming towards them.

“Good Evening, young master.” P’James greeted him and eyed Forth. “Welcome to the Vongviphan Manor, sir.” Forth politely smiled at him.

“P’James, this is Forth, a long friend of mine. Forth this is P’James our head steward.” Beam introduced the both of them. Then, Forth moved to shake the old stewards hand much to P’James surprise.

“Nice to meet you P’James.” Beam grinned at the gesture. Mostly, the guests will just politely nod at the steward and be on their way. Sometimes they completely ignore their head steward which makes Beam angry. This proves that Forth was so well mannered. P’James shaked Forth’s hand in return.

“The pleasure is mine, Master Forth.” Forth’s smile slipped a little but he remained in his charming self. Beam bit his lips to suppress a quiet laugh.

“P’James, Please put Forth’s luggage in the room adjacent to mine.” The steward nodded at him. Beam thanked him with a smile.

“Master Beam. Your father is home.” P’James told him before he turned away from them. His father was supposed to be out of town more specifically in the East. He said so last week that he will be away for a month. It was about a contract business or something about building additional sanatorium for the revival of Panitchayasawad House.
The East is where the Panitchayasawad House resides, after the attack of the estates, his father secured it. It was protected by the most capable Vongviphan House noble guards.
“He didn’t go to the East?” Beam questioned.

“I’m sorry that I did not inform you, young master. Lord Vongviphan just arrived an hour ago.”

“That’s okay P. I’ll introduce Forth to him since he will be staying with us.” P’James nodded at them and walked away. Beam glanced at Forth. Forth smiled at him thinly hiding his nervousness. It is understandable that Forth is nervous since he has not yet met his father and besides, Beam’s father has a reputation. Phana and Kit are still afraid of him even though they met him many times now.

“Would that be okay, Beam?” Forth asked him. “I mean, I can go back and just find an Inn.” Beam immediately shook his head towards Forth and gripped his arm. Beam would not let Forth stay in an Inn.

“Forth, I’ll be able to handle my father. Just stay here. You promised.” He gave Forth his best puppy eyes.

“Okay, okay.” Forth chuckled. “Stop the puppy eyes already.” Beam grinned at him. Nobody really can resist his puppy eyes. Beam entered the parlour first, Forth in tow and to his surprise, his father was there with Wayo with Phana and Kit. Wayo is engaging them in a conversation with their father while his best friends are fidgeting on their seats. It was such a funny sight, Beam will surely tease them a lot later.

“Ah, Hi Beam! You brought guests.” His father smirked at him. Beam rolled his eyes. His father is also enjoying his best friend’s discomfort.

“Yeah, I brought another guest. This is-” Beam was cut off by Yo’s squeal.

“P’Forth!” Wayo sprinted towards them and lunged himself at Forth. Luckily, Forth caught him in his arms. Beam was startled. He did not expect such a reaction from Wayo. Beam made a face towards them then glanced at Phana. Phana is scowling at Forth and Wayo. Kit is suppressing a laugh and his father is rather confused.

“I missed you too, Yo.” Forth said to Wayo after they broke the hug. Beam frowned at Forth. Seriously, Forth did not even say to Beam that he missed him. Yo giggled but stopped abruptly when he caught the glare from Beam.

“Oh my god. I’m sorry, P. I just really missed you.” Yo apologized to Forth shyly and whispered a ‘sorry’ to Beam. That made Beam eased his irritation a little.

“Wait, Forth? Is that you, Forth?” To their surprise, his father stood from his chair. He scrutinized Forth from where he was standing. Forth looked at the Vongviphan patriarch confusedly for a second and a smile bloomed at his face.

“Hey! Uncle Ben!” Forth walked towards his father and offered a handshake.

“How are you, Uncle Ben?” To their astonishment, Beam’s father smiled genuinely and also hugged Forth.

“Forth! My boy! It’s been a while!” Ben Vongviphan, his father, just hugged Forth! He. Hugged. Forth. What?

Beam was so stunned. That was his father! Nobody ever made his father smile like that except for Wayo. Also, this is the ruthless businessman that nobody got ever close to. That is why his father doesn’t have friends. Even his associates said that his father was cold and they were with him for the long time. They were all confused and the actions of his father made them all rendered speechless.

“Why are you here, Uncle?” Forth questioned Beam’s father. He did not just ask that!

“Ah, did Lord Vongviphan have a business deal with you?” Forth guessed and Ben just laughed out loud and patted Forth in his shoulder. Okay, this is getting out of hand. Surely, there’s an explanation about all this. Beam cleared his throat.

“Forth, how did you know him?” Beam pointed at his father. The patriarch just looked at Beam amusedly. Phana, Kit and Wayo remained silent. They want to know what is happening, too.

“Uncle Ben? He’s one of my contractors in the East. He is a powerful business dealer. All of my works in the East are all requested from him. He became my mentor too which I am very thankful for.” Forth bowed slightly to his father as a sign of respect.

Beam facepalmed, he vaguely remembered that his father always hid his true identity and status in the East since the attack from the Panitchayasawad House. It was necessary since they don't know if the attackers will still be there.

“Forth.” Beam took a deep breath as Forth looked at him curiously.

“That’s my father. Benedict Vongviphan.” Beam gestured to his father which has a wide smile towards Forth. The Vongviphan patriarch was clearly happy that Forth knows him now not just as a business dealer but as the head of the Vongviphan House.

“Huh?!” Forth was dumbfounded. Poor guy.

Notes:

How was it? Comments are highly appreciated. Also, be safe, bunchies <3

Chapter 7

Notes:

Hi! How are you?! I hope you are still staying safe. This is the next chapter. Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 7

 

“Uh-m, I’m sorry, uncle, I mean, sir, sorry, Lord Vongviphan, for not recognizing you.” Forth stuttered and bowed down to Beam’s father. “I hope we can continue our business together in the East.” 

 

“No! Don’t apologize to him! You didn’t know.” Beam yelled and grabbed Forth’s arm to get closer to him. Then, glared at his father for making Forth apologize. It was clearly not Forth’s fault. The Vongviphan patriarch just laughed again. He also smirked at his son after he glanced at Beam’s hand which was still on Forth’s arm. 

 

Beam’s glare intensified which amused his father a lot. The other occupants of the room were just stunned at the scene. They never saw the Lord Vongviphan act like this aside from Wayo, which is family. 

 

“No harm done, my boy. Just call me uncle again.” Ben looked at Forth with his rare genuine smile. It looks like Beam’s father liked Forth very much based on his actions. Beam was still glaring at his father, he was not satisfied with the answer, the old man should apologize to Forth. His father ignored him and continued to smile at Forth. The engineer nodded shyly at Ben, still quite embarrassed.

 

“So, are you Beammie’s candidate?” Beam’s father asked Forth.

 

They were all rendered speechless at the question aside from Kit, who was nervously sipping his tea at the scene, choked when Beam’s father uttered the word ‘candidate’. Phana was shocked too but offered Kit a napkin who was coughing out the tea. Wayo was worriedly looking back and forth at them. Beam nervously gulped. Forth is actually the perfect candidate. He has a decent name, an engineer with a reputation, and good in business that Beam’s father can groom to be the head of the Vongviphan House. Also, Beam is super comfortable with Forth. Not to mention his father adores Forth! All of the requirements pointed to Forth. Beam actually did not even consider Forth a candidate because of one reason. 

 

That one very reason is that he is in love with Forth. If he will ask Forth to be his spouse, Forth will readily agree because of his golden heart. Forth is selfless like that, he can sacrifice that for Beam. That is why Beam forced himself not to consider Forth because he did not want to be a charity case. Thinking about it makes his heart hurt. 

 

Besides, Forth was the only friend that could tolerate him because he was so damn particular and wary about people because he is the heir of a very prominent house. Before, Beam was only friendly to the people that belonged to their House but aside from that, he cannot form any connection beyond Phana and Kit. The Vongviphan heir focuses all his attention on his little brother and no one else. Kit was close to Beam because they met when they were kids. They’ve met through parties that the House Vongviphan hosted and only Kit, Beam, and Wayo were only close in age. Wayo was enamored to have another company, so Kit was always with them. Overtime, Beam became comfortable with Kit, and became best friends. Phana was Beam’s roommate first then truly made an effort to become friends when he introduced him to Wayo who liked him romantically.

 

When Phana introduced Forth to them, Beam ignored him all the way. He didn’t want any interaction besides Kit and Phana. But this guy, Forth, wasn't even bothered by his actions. It got him curious. When Beam stared at him, Forth simply smiled at him. It came to the point that he talked to Forth and found out that he was such a nice guy. 

 

Then, he made an effort to befriend Forth. They hit it off like old friends and all of a sudden they were so close. It confused Phana and Kit but they let it go and were happy that he had made a friend beside the two of them. Forth was always his Go-To Guy. It felt like Forth knew all the answers of the world.

 

Then, when Beam offered to be in the Vongviphan House, Forth turned it down. Beam was so upset that he even cried at Wayo’s lap. That was the time that he realized that he was in love with Forth. Beam accepted it as a fact but never acted upon it. He even did not mention it to his best friends, Phana and Kit because he knows they will try to fix him with Forth. He remained close friends with Forth and acted spoiled around him but that’s it. It hurt when he turned down the position in Vongviphan house, how much heartbreak would it be if he turned down his love confession. So no, he would not consider Forth to be even a candidate. But now, Beam cannot even utter the word ‘No’ because he knows, deep in his heart, he wanted to be married to Forth. He cannot even glance at Forth to know his reaction. Then, Forth broke the silence.

 

“Yes, sir. I am.” 

 

Kit’s coughing intensified at the declaration while Phana abruptly stood and frowned at the both of them. Wayo squealed and hugged both of them. Beam’s jaw dropped and snapped his head towards Forth who was not looking at him. Forth was staring straight at his Father. 

 

“Oh my gosh! Really?! Congratulations, P’Beam, P’Forth.” Wayo was beaming with happiness.

 

“Wait, I did not say that I approve.” Ben scowled at them and crossed his arms. Wayo is making the puppy eyes on their father which their father ignored. Ben was now making the famous intimidating face that everyone is afraid of. Beam’s hold on Forth’s arm tightened. Then, Forth, maybe sensing his distress, removed Beam’s hand on his arm and held it. Forth intertwined his fingers with Beam. 

 

Beam snapped his eyes towards Forth who was smiling at him and mouthed ‘It’s okay’. The Vongviphan heir just melted at Forth’s handsome smile. Forth even slightly put Beam behind him, as he looked at the Vongviphan patriarch with determined eyes. This is why Beam did not offer to Forth the marriage proposal because he will readily accept it without any second thoughts because he wanted to help him. Not only Beam but Wayo and Phana, too. It made it look like Forth will marry him out of pity, which made his heart hurt but for Wayo’s happiness, he’ll accept it. At least, even if Forth doesn't love him, he can still claim Forth as his husband. 

 

“Whatever it is that you want me to do sir, I’ll do it.” Forth accepted the silent challenge that his father was putting him into. Ben searched into Forth’s eyes and after a very awkward silence, his father took a deep breath, glanced at their intertwined hands, and then smiled at Forth. 

 

“Fine, I’ll accept you, call me dad now. Besides, you are already on the top of my list that I wanted to become my son-in-law. It doesn’t even have to be Beam, you can marry Wayo, too. Just be a Vongviphan.” Ben winked at Forth. Hearing this, Beam stomped his foot like a child and his glare was back at his father. 

 

“What the hell, Father! Do not forget our deal!” Beam is now pissed off at his Father but the old man just chuckled and even ignored his death glares. He can tell that his Father was just toying with them.

 

“What do you say, Forth? You see, Beam’s a brat. Are you sure you can handle him?” Ben made a disgusting face at Beam which Beam returned tenfold. Forth tried to hold a laugh at both of the father and son’s antics.

 

“Beam is fine the way he is, sir. Just let Pha have Wayo.” Forth tried to pacify Beam on his side. The nerve of his father to call him a brat. The only brat here is his father! Wayo and Pha blushed at what Forth said. Now that Beam is technically Forth’s fiance, Phana is actually allowed to court Wayo. Beam smirked at his father triumphantly, his father rolled his eyes at Beam. 

 

“Forth, just call me dad or Father. And Phana,” Forth nodded again shyly. Ben stared at Pha, who nervously gulped. “You have my permission to court Wayo. After all, the decision is still in his hands. But you will accompany me together with Forth to know our businesses, seeing you’ve got the high chance to get Wayo’s approval.” Pha nodded his head fast at his Father. Wayo was still blushing on the side, Beam was guessing that they still did not talk about the courting part. “Now, that is clear. I’ll expect you all at the dining table. That includes you, Kit. Let me freshen up, the ride from the East was so exhausting.” 

 

His father pats Phana’s and Forth’s shoulders and leaves all of them in the parlour. Silence reigns all of them when Beam felt Forth tugged his hand. Beam took a deep breath and looked at Forth’s worried eyes. 

 

“We need to talk. Let’s go to my office.” Forth tried to let go of their intertwined hands but Beam did not let Forth do it. Instead, he dragged Forth out of the parlour. 

 

“Beam, wait-” Phana tried to say but Beam cut him off.

“Pha, let me talk to Forth first.” Phana turned to Forth instead. They were trying to communicate through their eyes which is too weird to Beam. Finally, Forth heaved a sigh.

 

“We will just talk, Pha.” Phana nodded at him worriedly. Kit was just silently observing them but his eyes were trained on their intertwined hands. Wayo tried to encourage Beam with a smile. Beam yanked Forth again toward his office. 

 

They were silent throughout the way to his office. Beam was actually trying not to burst his heart out because he just realized that he was holding Forth’s very warm hands. Of course, they held hands before but this time, he was actually holding it as his fiance not just his friend. Beam let go of their hands as they entered Beam’s office. He took a deep breath and faced Forth. He instantly saw Forth’s pale face. It seems like Forth is afraid of Beam.

 

“Forth, are you okay? You look pale.” Beam immediately asked him. They were standing in the middle of the office. Beam took Forth’s hand again and let him sit on the couch near the bookshelves. Forth took a sit and looked at his lap, dejectedly.

 

“Are you mad?” Forth glanced at Beam who was standing and immediately turned his head down again. The gesture made Forth super cute. Forth is even pouting. Oh dear Lord, Damn it! He actually wanted to scold Forth for being so selfless. Now, he doesn't even have the heart to do it. Beam took a deep breath again just to control his raging heart. 

 

“I am not mad. Just- It took me off guard, Forth. We did not even discuss it.”

 

“I am sorry. I just took the chance. I thought I was helping.” Forth was still not looking at him.

 

“Forth, you were helping. Do not worry, I’m sorry.” Beam started to apologize and sat beside Forth on the couch. Forth was now looking at him. Beam’s heart is starting to hurt again because he remembered that Forth was just helping him. Forth was such a nice guy and he just pitied him. Beam cleared his throat and willed his tears at bay. 

 

“But, there’s no pressure Forth. We can still break the engagement. I’m sure we can find someone besides you. You don’t have to marry me.” Very good Beam, you didn’t stutter. It was so hard to get that out! Beam avoided Forth’s eyes and decided to pick loose threads in the cotton wool beside him.

 

He heard Forth sighed before stopping his hands and held between them.

 

“Beam, look at me.” Beam looked at him hesitantly. “Would this make you happy?”

 

Forth’s brown eyes were so mesmerizing and it took a minute before Beam answered Forth’s question.

 

“Yes, now that I can get married first, Pha can court Wayo.” he blurted out the first thing he was thinking. He sounded like a jerk. He should say that ‘ I’ll be very happy if you marry me, Forth.’ Damn mouth!

 

Forth inhaled deeply and focused on Beam again.

 

“I’ll prove to your father that I'm capable of taking care of you forever then you get married to me and Phana could court the hell out of Yo and let them get married to ease your mind. Sounds like a plan?” Forth smiled at him. That beautiful smile that can melt even the coldest hearts. 

 

Beam tackled Forth to his hug and wailed like a child. Beam didn’t know how stressful the whole ordeal is. Forth just held him as he cried his guts out. Beam will take whatever Forth will give him. Even if they will marry out of convenience, then he’ll take it. He will cherish it until it lasts. 

Notes:

Soooo? how was it? I want to hear your thoughts about this chapter. Thank you for all the comments! I am so happy that you liked this story. Comments are highly appreciated! Thank you for reading, see you in the next chapter! Stay safe, love.

Chapter 8

Notes:

Hello! Update Update! Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 8

“Forth! Are you out of your mind?! How can we explain this to your parents?!” Phana hissed at Forth.

After Beam cried his heart out in Forth’s embrace, he stayed with Beam up until the poor guy slept because of exhaustion from crying. It was heartbreaking to see Beam like that, Forth really understands how the situation is stressful on Beam’s part. Forth carried the sleeping Beam in his arms to his room and made sure the man was comfortable in the bed before he called Wayo to tend to Beam.

Forth briefly explained to the kid about what happened in the office and luckily Wayo did not ask any questions but just thanked him for helping his P’Beam. It was late at night and the dinner that they were supposed to have was already prepared in his room. So, he also decided to get to his room and get some sleep too. Forth was so sure that they will be busy tomorrow and in the upcoming days for the engagement and his and Beam’s wedding.

When he got to his room to retire for the night, he was surprised that Phana was waiting for him there. Forth asked him about what he was doing in his room but Phana just glared at him hard until he exploded. Pha anxiously paced back and forth in his room in distress.

“Pha, calm down for a minute.” Forth tried to pacify his cousin.

“How can I calm down?! How can I calm down, when the only Jamornhum Prince of this country is getting married to the Vongviphan heir!” Phana was still hissing at him with disapproving eyes. ”Now tell me how to calm down!”

Forth sighed, he was expecting that Phana would flip out. It is true though. Forth is the crown prince of the country of Ceres that no one knows except inside the Jamornhum Castle in the south. Jaturapoom Jamornhum was his true name but his parents always called him Forth. It was his nickname given by his parents. Jamornhum House was the Royal House in Ceres, meaning, they hold the highest position in all of the country. Forth was brought up like the other royalties before him. At a very young age, he was already studying the political alliances, History of Ceres, and other disciplines that will prepare him as the next King of Ceres. Queen Marla, Forth’s mother, was also fond of bringing Forth in gatherings and parties that were held in the Jamornhum castle and territories. In other words, he was being exposed to social circles that will help him run the country in the future. Well, Forth did not complain about the responsibilities that were put on his shoulders because his parents always make him understand the importance of all of this.

Despite all of the burden that comes with the Jamornhum House name, he grew up in a loving family. King Darvid, his father, has this rule in the family that Sundays are always family time. So, every Sunday they were gathered in the large garden of the castle eating, relaxing, and talking about anything and nothing. It was really a fun time for Forth because some of his cousins always come and play. Forth’s favorite cousin was Phana. Phana was the third son of the Kongthanin House, he was never acknowledged as a Kongthanin because he was a child outside the marriage of the Kongthanin Patriarch. Phana will never hold a Kongthanin name but he will still be participating in some of Kongthanin’s businesses. Thus, staying at the Kongthanin’s Household for learning and will be in the Jamornhum castle in the summers. Phana’s mom was his mom's sister who stayed in their castle in the south. They became close because aside from that they were the same age, Phana always stayed a little longer than his other cousins. They spend most of the summer together before Phana would go back to the Kongthanin Palace in the West.

Then, the fall of the Panitchayasawad House happened, he was just thirteen at that time. Suddenly, the gatherings, the parties, and even his education stopped. The King and Queen were worried for the Forth’s safety since he was the only heir of the Jamornhum Clan. His parents along with the trusted ally of the Kingdom formulated a plan to protect him. They come to a decision that Forth was better protected outside the Southern Kingdom. No one should know that he was living outside the Southern castle. All traces of his identity were seized. It was either erased or fabricated. It was like Forth never existed in the first place. Forth was then forced to live in the West, in a Kongthanin protected place. The only thing that he liked there was he was living there with his cousin, Phana. Forth was cut off in his musings on his cousin’s outburst again.

“Seriously, Forth. We are in big trouble!” After all, Phana was tasked to guard Forth whenever he was in Aberdale. “I know that you’re in love with Beam ages ago but I did not think that you would offer yourself to marry him.”

“I-” Forth heaved a deep sigh and messed up his hair as he sat on the bed. “I’m an idiot.”

Yes, he was in love with Beam. That was a fact that he carried with him wherever he went. Forth loved Beam enough that he was willing to be his friend forever because he was sure Beam didn’t return his affections and there are many afflictions that would arise because of the title that Forth holds. He knows that the situation is bad but he cannot just let Beam get married to anyone that will not treat him like the precious being that he is. That is why he accompanied Beam to all of the marriage prospects that he met. Forth wanted to assess them if they are worthy of Beam but as expected no one is.

“Yes, you are. Why did you tell his father that you’re his candidate?” Phana tried to calm himself down and sat on one of the round chairs in the little round table where Forth’s dinner was served in the spacious room.

“I acted on instinct. I found an opportunity and I grabbed it. I didn’t even ask Beam beforehand. I should just confess that I loved him this whole time but that would risk losing him and I cannot handle that.” Forth stood up and joined Phana at the table. He picked up the wine and poured it on the wine glass. Forth took a sip and continued. “As expected, he did not deny it because he wanted Wayo to be happy, so he took a chance on me. Beam was crying his heart out earlier, he must hate doing this with me but he doesn’t have a choice. I really felt guilty about imposing this on him.”

Phana grabbed the wine glass from him and gulped the whole content. Then, he poured the wine again and offered it to Forth. “Still, you are an idiot. You even risk exposing yourself to Rayleigh, Forth.” Pha was still ranting about all the mistakes that he committed since staying at Aberdale. “You are an idiot when it comes to Beam.” Phana added.

Forth unconsciously clenched his hands when he heard the name and gritted his teeth. That smug little guy Sir Rayleigh of House Kenton. He remembered the lust in Rayleigh’s eyes as it roamed at Beam’s body made him shiver in anger, the bastard even made crude suggestions at Beam. After that meeting with Rayleigh, Forth demanded the house of Kenton to not associate themselves with the House Vongviphan through a royal letter with his name. And because the royal seal is absolute they cannot refute the demands. Of course, the House of Kenton was displeased but eventually relented, because no one of the Houses would disobey a royal threat. Forth can summon any of the Daichapanya guards, his personal secret royal security that scattered through the land of Ceres if the House of Kenton did not abide by it. Daichapanya House was trained to guard the Royal House of Jamornhum and Forth knows they are always lurking somewhere whenever Forth is. Phana was also trained under the strict eyes of Daichapanya House to better protect Forth especially when they entered the university.

“We are lucky that the House of Kenton is afraid of the Royal House Jamornhum, it would be a bigger mess if he found out that the engineer that they were transacting with was actually their royal prince.” Phana massaged his right temple in irritation.

“I don’t like the way he stared at Beam. Makes me want to beat him to death.” Forth hissed. “And if you’re asking me to back down on getting married to Beam, you are wasting your breath Phana.” Forth glared at his cousin. “Besides, this will benefit you, You wanted to marry Wayo, right?”

“That’s another thing! I am not recognized as a Kongthanin but you are different. Sooner or later, Ceres will know who you truly are.” Phana countered him. Well, his cousin is not wrong. There would come a time that he would take the crown. They both sighed at the situation they are in.

“What would you tell Beam?” Phana asks the most terrifying question.

“I don’t know. Help me.” Forth begged his cousin. He honestly does not know what to do. All he knows is that he was happy he is marrying Beam even if it’s a marriage convenience. He can still call Beam his legally. It would hurt if Beam would take on a lover in their marriage but that would be another headache later. He must just focus on what to tell the Vongviphan family.

Phana's eyes showed pity on him. Phana was the most observant person he knows. Forth remembered the day when his cousin asked him if he was in love with Beam because he stared at Beam too much. At that time he was not yet aware of his romantic feelings for Beam but when Phana pointed it out to him, he realized that he was loving Beam for too long.

He also realized that if he confesses, he might lose what he has with Beam and that made him terrified. That doesn’t count that he was hiding his real identity. Forth made peace with himself to accept the fact that he can’t have Beam and just stay close friends with him but each day Beam would do something adorable that made him fall in love a little more every day. So when Beam offered to work at the Vongviphan Estates, he rejected it because he might do something stupid like confess his undying love for Beam and that would end their friendship.

“Pha, help me.” Forth pleaded again with his cousin.

“You do know that he will hate you for this, right?”

“I know. I will not be prepared for it but I hope he will understand if the time comes.” Forth dejectedly answered Phana.

“Fine. let’s just go through your engagement. I’ll try to contact some Daichapanya to help us to contain this engagement to Aberdale so that it would not be picked up on the Southern Kingdom. Go to the South after the engagement and try to talk to the King and Queen. Then, we will decide the next steps after that.” Forth was glad that Phana was still on his side after all. He readily agreed to this plan. It would be difficult to explain this to his parents but his mother was understanding so Forth can talk to her first.

“You’re the best Pha. If you’re not my cousin, I’ll marry you.” Forth jokes.

“Ew! Don’t joke about something like that. I’ll only love Wayo in many lifetimes that I would have!” Phana scowled at him. Forth laughed out loud at his cousin’s reaction.

“I’ll only love Beam in many lifetimes too, Pha.” Forth seriously added.

“You better be. Beam is my best friend, too. So make him happy. I don’t care if you are the Prince of Ceres or my cousin, I’ll kill you if you hurt him.” Phana coldly responded. Forth should be jealous of how protective Phana is about Beam if Forth doesn’t know how in love Phana was with Wayo. There were times that he was jealous of their relationship of course, but when Beam smiled at him so adorably, all the traces of jealousy will be gone at an instant. That smile was only reserved for him so he relented.

“You have my word, Pha. Beam’s the love of my life. I will risk everything just to be with him.”

Notes:

Thank you for reading! How was it? Comments are highly appreciated. Stay safe and stay sane!

Chapter 9

Notes:

How are you??????????? So, this is chapter 9. Please, enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Chapter 9

 

The Vongviphan Manor was bustling since early in the morning. Almost all of the servants of the Vongviphan family were busy doing preparations for the upcoming event in the manor. It was for Beam and Forth’s engagement party that would be attended by all of Aberdale. Ben, the patriarch, made sure that the engagement was reported in the papers of Aberdale that it attracted the social circle of the city. Even some influential families from the East were also invited to the event.

Beam was still happily snuggling in his bed when Bas rudely woke him up for the day to prepare for his engagement to Forth. Wayo was dragging him back and forth in the manor to check last minute preparations and approval of displays for the ceremony. His brother wanted it to be perfect for him and Forth. Beam was annoyed at Bas because the preparation was already decided a few weeks ago and Bas should leave it alone. They have a competitive household so Beam was not worried at all. Vongviphan servants are the best in throwing big events like this. Afterall, it was just an engagement party not his wedding yet but Yo was emitting this weird nervous energy that was driving Beam on the edge. When Yo complained that the roses were in dull color, Beam decided that he should draw the line.

“Seriously Yo, the red roses are fine! They are beautiful. You don’t have to be worried that they aren't red enough.” Beam drew an irritated sigh at his beloved brother.

“Why aren’t you complaining, P?! It’s your engagement party! You should be worried if everything is not in perfect order!” Wayo countered it with a pout. Puffing his cheeks at his big brother.

“Exactly. It’s my engagement party and not yours. So you have to calm down. I trust the entire House. You can complain all you want when your engagement will be announced too.” Beam smiled at his precious brother that just pouted more at him.

“Besides, it will be perfect because Forth will be there.” Beam added in a hushed voice. Wayo’s eyes sparkled when he heard those words.

“Awwww, P’Beam that’s too cute!” Yo hugged him tightly. “You know, I am happy for you. P’Forth’s a good man. He will protect and honor you.” His brother added. Beam nodded but it reminded him that Forth did not love him. Yes, Forth will protect and honor him but he was not in love with Beam! That’s the worst part! It was a pure helping hand because they were friends and they had each other's back. Pain surged in Beam’s chest as he remembered why Forth will marry him.

“I know. He may not love me like I love him but at least I got to call him mine, right?” Beam anxiously asked Wayo.

“P’Beam, what? Are you okay?--”

“And he will not cheat on me, right? Oh my gods, Yo! What if he will have a lover while we are married?” Beam was not desperately shaking Yo to answer him. He was in full panic mode now.

“Calm down, P’-”

“I cannot forbid him to do that because he is not in love with me! Will I ever endure the pain? What if?-” Beam was spiraling in the world of what ifs that he cannot breathe and cold sweat was breaking out in his skin.

“P’BEAM! CALM DOWN!” Wayo yelled at him. Beam stared at Wayo in surprise. Wayo exhaled in relief when Beam stopped rambling.

“Breathe, P’Beam.” Wayo pressed his hand in Beam’s chest to attempt to calm his racing heart. Beam tried to breathe with Wayo’s gentle command. After a few breaths, Beam finally calmed down.

“And here I thought you were too calm about the engagement.” Wayo smirked at him.

“Shut up.” Beam rolled his eyes at him but Wayo’s face was void of teasing now.

“Seriously, P’Beam. Why don’t you confess to P’Forth?” Beam rolled his eyes again at Wayo’s suggestion. “Or why don’t I tell P’Forth your feelings? If you are too shy to tell him about it?”

“Wayo! Don’t you dare!” Beam glared at his brother. Wayo scowled at him in return.

“You broke our blood secret, P’! You told P’Phana that I was in love with him! Why don’t I get to tell things too?” Beam pull a face at this. The blood secret was their thing. They told their greatest secret to each other and promised to never tell anyone. To seal the promise, they both drew blood from their fingertips and connected it. It was a silly tradition but they both honored it until Beam told his father and Phana about the Wayo’s secret.

“I already said sorry for that one, Yo. Do you want to hear me again apologize for it?” Beam bargained.

“Well, no. I forgive you about that.” Wayo deflated. “I just wanted to help you. I wanted your heart’s happiness too, P’Beam. Just like mama had said to us.”

“Wayo, thank you. I really appreciate it.” Beam smiled to his pure hearted brother and embraced him.

“I will kill P’Forth if he will ever cheat on you.” Wayo whispered when they broke the hug. Beam chuckled at Wayo’s threat and determined face.

“No, you won’t. You can’t even hurt a fly.” Beam laughed harder at Wayo’s sulky pout. “And you idolize Forth too much. You’ll end up begging him to love me.” Wayo beamed at his words and Beam knew he would be in trouble. “Wayo, I’m joking. Don’t beg him to love me. That would be humiliating!”

“Of course not P’Beam! But ,you know, what if you make him fall in love with you? Like subtly court him?” Beam blinked his eyes at Wayo. “You didn’t make a move on him before, right?” Yo questioned him and he nodded. Of course, all of his interactions with Forth were all friendly. He long accepted that Forth was gonna be his friend forever. So, what if Beam will court him slowly? Make sure that Forth will fall in love with him?

“That’s-- That’s not a bad idea.” Beam said.

“Right?! P’Forth already cares about you, maybe he just needs a little nudge.” Wayo jumped a little at his brilliant idea. “And it would be great because you’re already engaged!”

“Yeah, I - I can do that.” Operation Make Forth fall in love with Beam is now swarming Beam’s mind. He can do that, making Forth happy would be a chore that he will gladly do.

“Ah! There you are! Beam! Yo!” They both look at the newcomer that distubed they little bonding moment. It was just Kit looking like he just ran a marathon.

“What’s up Kitty?” Beam greeted his friend which Kit returned with a slap in his arm.

“Don’t call me Kitty! And what are you both doing here? I was looking all over for the two of you.” Kit scolded them. They were both in the gardens. Beam brought Wayo there for them to have fresh air. Away from the organized chaos happening in the manor. It was a little far from the manor but the gardens were their spot when they were young. It sure brings a lot of fond memories. Not to mention, this is where they bind the blood secret.

“Forth and Pha was worried when you both did not show up at breakfast.” Kit added.

“Forth?! He’s already home?!” Beam shrieked at the same time as Yo yelled Phana’s name.

Two weeks ago, Forth asked Beam and his father if he could go home to the South where his parents live to inform them about their engagement. Of course, it would be best if Forth’s parents also know that their son will get married. Phana tags along with Forth saying that he wanted to see Forth’s parents because it’s been so long. When Beam thought about it, he did not remember Forth telling him about his family aside from Phana.

They were supposed to be in the South for just a week. Beam was beyond worried because what if Forth’s parents did not want them to marry? It was eating Beam alive but Beam received a letter from Forth to not worry because he just extended a week to do some last deals with clients so that he can focus on their engagement and wedding. Forth promised to come home to Aberdale in time for the engagement. It reassured Beam to the bone that’s why he was not worrying anymore. If Forth said not to worry then he would not worry. Forth has that effect on him.

“Ah! Don’t shout at my ear, Beam!” Kit complained. “But yes, they got home late yesterday evening. You were both already asleep so they did not disturb you.”

“Where’s Forth now?!”

“I think they are still in the dining room with your father.”

“And they should have woken me up! ” Beam started to sprint towards the dining room.

“P’Beam! Wait!” Wayo shouted at him but he ignored it. Forth’s home! Two weeks is a long time and he missed Forth.

“Beam! Slow down or you'll hurt yourself!” Kit also called him out but he did not pay attention to the both of them. He was going to see Forth!

Beam turned into the corner in excitement but he was met by a sturdy thing that made him lose his balance. Beam braced for an impact on the ground but it did not happen as strong arms held him tight. Beam looked up and was greeted by Forth’s gorgeous eyes. They were both frozen by their positions and just looking at each other's eyes. Their face was only a centimeter apart and if Beam would lean forward a little and their lips would touch. But before he could do that, Forth was helping him to find his balance to stand upright.

“Beam, are you okay?” Forth was inspecting him if he was hurt somewhere. Beam just stared at him. Just looking at him, drinking in Forth’s presence.

“Beam?” Forth repeated when Beam just continued to stare at him.”Beam, you are frightening me. Are you hurt somewhere?”

“Welcome home, asshole.” Beam punched Forth’s broad shoulder. Forth’s worried face slowly melted away and was replaced by his warm smile. Then, Forth chuckled as he touch his shoulder where Beam punched him and said,

“I’m home, Beam.”

Notes:

Thank you for reading! Stay safe always loves :*