Actions

Work Header

Gladiator Fairy

Chapter 32

Notes:

I'd like to blame this chapter being so late on my ex boyfriend for being such a wad. Remember your worth everyone, cuz I sure didn't

Things! Are! Finally! Happening!

Chapter Text

“It’s-” Mars panted, his words falling short from his mouth. “It’s going to take days for us to find the Pits.” The sun had long since set, with Marina walking without halt from the moment the camp. Mars had tried speaking to her a few different times, but she didn’t give a response or any indication she had heard him at all.

He had a feeling that if he saw the look on her face right now, he would have the same feeling as he did when she revealed her relation to the Pits. He was afraid of her - no, he was afraid for her. He knew she wouldn’t hurt him, the content of her character and straight forward nature revealed that much, but because from the look in her eyes he knew she’d stop at nothing until she reached her goal, the eradication of the Pits, and the one who owned them.

“Marina,” Mars called out again, this time a tinge of pity in his voice. “We need to stop.”

Marina frowned, not looking back at him. While she was not panting for breath, her body did feel fatigued. She hadn’t slept in several days, and hadn’t taken into account how traveling would affect a weary and healing body. Each movement caused an ache or pain somewhere, but with how used to fighting injured she was, she barely noticed at all.

Though she didn’t realize it, Mars could see the way her body shook with every step, as if vengeance were really the only thing keeping her going. It was almost like watching a corpse walk, especially with how pale and gaunt her complexion was. The dark bags under her eyes proved to him that Marina wasn’t thinking about survival. Maybe she never had been.

By this point, Mars understood what was driving her. Hatred for the man who captured not only Marina, but his sister and likely so many more. Mars wanted nothing more than to strangle the man responsible with his bare hands, but his best bet was to lean on Marina and help her in any way he could. And right now, though it seems counterproductive, the best way to help her was to force her to stop and rest.

He thought about reaching to touch her shoulder to try and halt her, but thought better of it. “You know,” Mars said, running a few steps so he could walk in tandem with her. “You’re looking pretty out of it.” No response.

He continued anyway. “It wouldn’t be a bad idea for us to, you know, rest up for a little bit.” He looked to the sky, the moon high overhead. “At least for a few hours.”

She shot him a sidelong look. God only knew what his sister and so many others could be dealing with at this very moment. While resting may be the most beneficial for them, how could she close her eyes knowing people would die while she did? She was too wired for rest, vengeance being the only thing on her mind.

“I’m fine,” She said, but Mars saw how bloodshot her eyes had become.

“You’re not fine,” he protested, trying to get her to see reason. “If you fight like this you could get us both killed.”

She shot him a sharp look that reminded him of a dog snarl. He froze for a few moments, until she turned her gaze away from him. Sometimes it was easy to forget that she was a champion fighter, but at times like these he could see it in her eyes. Still, he had gathered that she wouldn’t stop if the reason was for her benefit, so he would have to switch tactics.

“Okay, you got me,” He said in his best blasé tone. “I’m the one who’s exhausted.”

“You’re-” Marina cut herself off. He wasn’t lying, he was exhausted, but she could tell from the change in his heart beat and blood pressure that he wasn’t being entirely honest.

By refusing to take the train, they would have to walk over one hundred miles by foot. It was better this way though. Based on how Crawford knew she had been at the music store, and sent someone after her, it was likely he was keeping tabs on her even now. If they were ambushed on a train, her motion sickness could cost her not only her own life, but Mars’.

Stopping to eat and rest would cost them time, but at the very most it would likely take them four or so days to reach the Devil’s Tomb, according to the information the man at the camp gave them.

Maybe Mars was right. Maybe she did need to try and force herself to rest, otherwise she could make a mistake when she went up against Crawford and his goons and be the only one killed.

Marina frowned, folding her arms and staring at the ground. “Okay,” She relented after a few moments of deliberation. “But only for a few hours.”

-

Lahar and Mest stood in a group with other magic council members, staring upwards to the stage the main members sat at. They held up one of the sketches Laxus and the rest of the Thunder Tribe were passing around with Marina’s likeness on it.

Gran Doma was the one who spoke. “You’re to find this girl and bring her back here alive.” His eyes scanned the room, wondering how many of the Custody Enforcement Unit wouldn’t come back after this. “She is a water wizard, known to be dangerous. Previously masquerading as a part of Fairy Tail, so whether she is armed is unknown.”

Lahar and Mest exchanged glances, a bad feeling rising in both their chests.

-

“So you’re telling me,” Sting said, looking downward at his fingers laced together in his lap. “That Marina is the champion of the Pits, and she’s going back for revenge because whoever the fuck is training more people like her.”

“She was the champion of the Pits, yes,” Mira corrected. “And that’s exactly why we need to get to her before she has a chance to get to him.”

“Why?” Rouge asked, freezing in place when Mira shot him a glare. “Hear me out,” He said, raising his hands in defence. “If she can take him out, isn’t that problem solved?”

“No the problem isn’t solved!” She shot back. “The Magic Council knows about her, and will likely try and stop her before she makes it to the Pits.”

“Why would they do that?” Lector asked this time, looking up to Sting, who looked visibly disturbed.

“Because,” Sting answered, “If the fighting Pits get taken out, it’ll cause an uproar among those who participate in black market dealings.” It was likely human trafficking wasn’t the only business Crawford was heavily involved in. Though he was Marina’s target, there were many more who shared his ideals, including nobles and lords from other lands. Though Marina had left Fairy Tail, they were still the closest to her that those looking for revenge would target, whether she made it out alive or not.

“So this is really bad,” Lector said mostly to himself, holding a paw to his chin as if he was deep in thought.

-

“Unbelievable,” Levy said with her cheek resting in her palm. She leaned on one of the Fairy Til tables, staring at the large egg Gajeel had told her to watch after while he and all the other heavy hitters of Fairy Tail left together.

Really, it was an insult to think that she wouldn’t have figured out what was going on.

Marina had left, that was made abundantly clear, and they had gone to get her back. Gajeel had tried to keep her in the dark, much to her chagrin. Did he really think she was so weak she couldn’t be at least a little help to them? She cared about Marina too, and would have gone with them in a moment had she realized in time.

Instead, she was here, guarding the underwater egg Marina was so fond of.

Levy sighed, stretching her arms out on the table, laying her forehead down with a miserable look on her face. She halfway wondered if Gajeel would ever really take her seriously as an equal, instead of someone who needed protection.

She sat up straight in a jerking motion, realizing her own thoughts. She wanted everyone to take her seriously, she said, a blush creeping on her cheeks. Not just Gajeel, of course! Everyone!

Her thoughts were interrupted by Master Makarov walking in with a grim look on his face. She stood up in an instant, skating the table and by default, the egg. It fell to the side, but she was able to grab hold of it before it fell off the edge. With a heaving sigh, she held the massive egg in both arms, running forward to try and meet him before he disappeared into his office.

 

“Master!” She called out, unable to see over the egg. “Master, wait!”

He gave pause, looking back at Levy and taking a few steps back when she was approaching without being able to see where she was going.

She peeked over the side of the egg to look at him, noticing how old he really looked in this moment.

“What’s going on?” Levy asked, dropping any sort of small talk.

The Master hissed out a sigh. “The Magic Council knows about Marina now, they’ll be hunting her down.”

“Why would they?” She exclaimed, catching the attention of others within the guild. He sighed again, gesturing for her to follow him into his office. She sat the egg down on the couch, turning around immediately to get the answers Gajeel and the rest refused to give her.

-

Mest held the sketch of Marina that Reedus had drawn, his eyes scanning the townspeople as they went through.

“Approximately five feet two inches,” Lahar repeated what they were told from Gran Doma from next to him. “Blue hair, green eyes, petite, and likely malnourished.”

“Seems more like we should be getting this girl to a hospital than a jail cell,” Mest mused, taking inventory of all the blue haired girls around them. No one quite met the description.

“Maybe,” Lahar relented, “But that doesn’t change the fact that she’s dangerous and needs to be monitored.”

After talking to a few people the pair, along with other subordinates were led to a camp deep within the more poverty stricken areas of the town. They were led to a middle aged man with a protruding belly sitting on a milk crate.

“Do you know this girl?” Lahar asked, holding out the sketch.

If the man did recognize her, he didn’t convey it. Those outside their tents began to fiddle absentmindedly with things so they could listen to the conversation, images of the blue haired girl still fresh in their minds.

“Mighty fine clothes to be in this part of town, gentlemen,” The man said, rising to his feet. “You should be careful not to get dirt on those robes.” He pointed a dirt crusted fingernail at the white robes they wore.

“We are the Magic Council’s Custody Enforcement,” Lahar said, his voice remaining level. “If you have any information on this girl, it is in your best interest to give it to me now, lest you be taken in as an accomplice.”

“You’re enforcing rules on someone who wasn’t privileged enough to even know them in the first place,” The man smiled, but his tone was anything but cordial.

“You’re evading the question,” Lahar’s tone was much more poignant.

The man’s smile faltered for a second. “I think you’ll find that in this world, the one you boys are trying to step into, laws aren't what keeps things running.”

“And what are?” Mest asked, feeling his magic instinctively swell inside his body.

“Violence,” The middle aged man said. “The rules of beasts are the only ones recognized where you’re going. The ones with power and influence make the rules, while people like us,” He gestured a thumb to himself, but was including Marina in his statement, “Have to follow them.”

“Maybe,” Mest conceded, “But someone like her can’t be left alone. Vengeance will do no more than bring more violence.”

“This girl will stop at nothing to reach her goal,” The man said, leaning back on a nearby wall graffitied to the point the original color couldn’t be seen. He remembered her eyes. The eyes of a killer. Even in memory they gave him chills. “Careful you don’t get in her way, or you may have to learn the rules of the beasts.”

“Which way?” Mest asked, and the older man pointed with his chin.

-

The sunrise hadn’t broken through the sky when Marina opened her eyes. Mars snored loudly beside her, unaware of anything going on around him.

She wondered how Natsu was doing, and if she would be able to see not only him, but Laxus, Levy, Juvia, and all the other friends she had made before she died. She doubted it.

She sensed water nearby, enough water for several human bodies. They were closing in fast, causing Marina to sent a shot of water, barely more than a squirt gun, directly at Mars’ face.

“What the hell was that?” Mars asked, sputtering and wiping the water off with his shirt.

“We got trouble.” Was all Marina could say.