Actions

Work Header

Metanoia

Chapter 12

Summary:

Tae is dead, but blood need to be paid by blood.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Asking the culprit will result in nothing, Hwanghu!”

Wang Yo stilled at those words. Father is really adamant in making him a culprit, to overthrow him. Very well, two could play the game. But before he could retort his father, Queen Yoo’s shriek startled everyone at the hall.

“Yo will never kill his brother! Don’t you dare to accuse him, Pheya?!” the Queen is now standing, disheveled but once again regain her bearing. Her face full of menace as if ready to straggled Taejo if he ever laid a finger to her children. Jung besides her could only stare, wide-eyed.

Yo didn’t know what to feel. Grateful? Or more… dreadful? His mother only ever did things for herself, live for herself and not for others, even her children. He knew the facts long ago, even learn to not be offended in his mother’s conduct but her defending him? Yo is right to be suspicious.

Taejo darts his murderous glare from Wang Yo to his wife. How careless was he? The King mused. Of course, he forgot about his own wife. A woman who will sacrifice everything to be on top, never below others. Tae is dead, he could not help her, but Yo is alive. Yo could be powerful for her. How could he turn a blind eye on this?!

“Brothers killed, Hwanghu. Only the most powerful lives, you should know that!” the King is fuming, he could not fight her. The support of the Yoo clan is too important to lose. He could touch Wang Yo previously because the Queen favored Tae, but Tae is not in the picture anymore. Her support will fall on Yo fully once Tae took his last breath.

Taking her stance, the Queen gravely announces, “My Tae is gone but you choose to shamelessly blame Yo! My Yoo clan will not be humiliated like this!”

Jung who was silent the whole time nervously glace at both of his parents. Father accused Yo Hyung-nim of killing Tae Hyung-nim. That’s unbelievable, Tae Hyung-nim had enemies who are willing to kill him for instance. His brother was brash and sometimes very unlikeable, it was not a surprise to find him poisoned to death.

Hesitantly, Jung voiced out, “Pheya, Tae Hyung-nim had people who are envious of him. Someone probably plotted against him!”

Yo couldn’t believe it, he doesn’t have to defend himself this time. His mother and Jung had taken his sides. Well, no surprise in Wang Jung, the boy is loyal to the core, Yo thought proudly. But he will need to plead for his innocence himself too.

“Pheya, Second Prince Wang Tae is my blood brother. You have raised me to be good to my elder. What kind of person am I to murder my own brother in cold blood?” Yo plead, but initially, he smirks in triumph. He just pinned the blame to his own father.

‘You have raised me?’

Isn’t that blaming the king for not raising him correctly? If Wang Yo does actually killed his brother, which means, Taejo, as a father didn’t raise his son right.

Both Jung and Queen Yoo take a surprise turn at Wang Yo, flabbergasted by his bold statement. The statement might sound like a pleading but why does it sound so wrong?

Gripping the edge of the table hard, Taejo try to surpass his anger, how dare him! How dare his own son tricked him this way?! If he as a father accused Wang Yo as the culprit, isn’t it like digging his own grave? This sly fox!

Taking a deep breath, he tries to control the tremor in his voice. “The matter will be investigated future.” He announces gravely. He will let Wang Yo go for now.
With a flick of his wrist, the King dismissed all of them.

 

 

Existing the hall, Yo told Jung to proceed with the funeral with mother, he will be there as soon as possible. Some things should be done and he needs to find the person. Walking through Damiwon’s hallway, Yo makes his way to the head court lady’s chamber. He needs to find Oh-sanggung.

Making sure that no one had seen him, Yo sneaks into the chamber. Oh Soo-yeon makes no indication that she knew someone had entered her chamber, busy sorting some scrolls at the far end of her little study. Clearing his throat, Wang Yo announces his arrival.

“Oh- sanggung?” the woman takes a glance at him for a while before turn her focus back to the task at hand. Putting the scrolls back into the drawer, Oh Soo-yeon gives the prince her full attention. Bowing slight, the court lady urges the prince to take a sit.

“I heard about the Second Prince passing, condolence on my behalf, Wangja-nim.” She starts, taking a sit on the tea table alongside the prince. The court lady didn’t offer him tea or anything.

Yo give the woman a small smile, remorseful. “Thank you.” They are silent for a few moments before Oh-sanggung concerned eyes dratted at him.

“Your father is wary of you, Yo-ah. I could only do much before he got suspicious.” She gravely informed him. She let out a long sigh, the King had been suspicious of Yo for a while now. She had tried to soothe his anger and suspicious thought, but she could only do much. Back then, when Yo unceremoniously announces his engagement to Minister Hae’s niece, the only thing that held back the King’s urge to kill him was her.

Oh Soo-yeon knows why the King is extremely guarded against Wang Yo. It was not the boy, not entirely, but that person in Seokyeong, he is the one Taejo was afraid of. Wang Shik Ryeom had supporters all over Goryeo, even in Taejo’s court, half of those men were his. Taejo couldn’t touch him, not even a bit but the moment Wang Shik Ryeom visibly announce that he favored Yo, all hell breaks loose. Such a powerful person, the King had hoped that his cousin would somehow support the Crown Prince, but no. That is why he was wary of the Third Prince and now, that Wang Yo had gathered the Hae clan’s support, the matter is getting out of hand.

Then, this happened. One slip, the King would not hesitate to pinout any traitorous accusation against Wang Yo.

The Third Prince let out a weary sigh, he knew what father thought of him. He had accepted that a long time ago but once the fact had been said, he still feels the unexpected pang. “He will never trust me.” he might seem calm but the sorrow could be heard in his voice. “I accepted that. I do.”

Taking a deep breath, his eyes locked with the court lady’s brown orbs. “But I am no murderer. I did not kill Tae! How can I kill my own brother?!” his outburst surprise Oh-sanggung and even himself.

Sensing his turmoil, Oh Soo-yeon soothingly pats his hand, “I know, Yo-ah, and I’m sure he knew too.” She tried to reassure him, knowing that it was fruitless. This father and son relationship has been tainted for too long. She could only hope that the King isn’t going to drag Yo down completely. The poor boy.

Forcing a smile, Yo met the woman’s warm gaze, he changes the subject, “I should have bought Soo with me, you will love her.” Maybe next time, Yo promised himself.

That had drawn a smile on her face, teasingly, the court lady retort. “Your fiancé, Wangja-nim? You’d promised me that six months ago.” Yo let out a small laugh. Well, he does promise to bring Hae Soo but the timing isn’t right.

“Well…” he gives her a boyish grin, guilty. They share a moment of comfortable silence.

“Do not leave Songak for a while, especially for Seokyeong. Lay low and tell Minister Hae to do the same. If you did not move, the King will not too. He is wary of your uncle, remember that, Yo-ah.” She advised quietly. That is the only thing she could offer, nothing else. Wang Yo is like the son she never has, even though he is the son of the woman who took her child away. Isn’t a mother’s instinct to protect her son?

Nodding quietly, Yo knows the only thing he could do right now is to stay low and not to stir his father’s doubt even more. But something bothering him, the last time his uncle come to Songak was six months ago. Did he send someone over to poison Tae? Or someone else in Songak is the culprit? Uncle Shik Ryeom had connections all over Goryeo, even more in Songak. It is nothing odd if someone had to scheme it for him, but who? Who was ruthless enough to kill for him?

“Can you keep an eye for me? For anyone suspicious around the King?” he wanted to know, who the schemer is. That way, he could keep an eye on them. Keeping them away from him and others. This time, the victim was Tae, if he isn’t careful enough, it could be Jung, or Eun, or Wook. The possibilities are countless and Yo will not let that happened. He couldn’t forgive himself if that happened.

Earning a reassuring nod from the court lady, Wang Yo bid the woman goodbye.

He needs to conduct the funeral, Tae’s funeral, now that the title of the head of Yoo’s clan befalls upon him. He could not believe it. Tae is dead. His own brother is dead. They might not be close, but Tae is still his brother. His own blood.

Those people lurking in the dark have the nerve to destroy his kin.

Well, an eye for an eye. Blood should be paid by blood. They dared to kill his brother, his family.

It just fitting for him to kill theirs too.

Notes:

I'm in some sort of slump, thus the late update! but fear not, I'm posting a YoSoo shots! YEAY! Been a while since I wrote one. If you guys are interested, just check out 'If It Is You' a two shots under my YoSoo's shameless shots.

ps: sorry for the late update! tell me what you guys thought!