Actions

Work Header

Just Friends.. Huh?

Summary:

Marinette woke up to a new day with bad luck right at her heels.

When Adrien told her he started growing feelings for a certain love rival, Marinette isn't sure why she got herself in this icy mess to begin with.

Notes:

Bug!Adrien caught some fluttery feelings for Kagami which he doesn't want to realize because he knows he likes Lady Noire...

(Parallelism to Marinette growing feelings for Adrien and also Luka. XD)

But Cat!Mari did and oh these two kids are going to have a bumpy ride.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Unlucky Cat

Chapter Text

Marinette didn't get a good sleep after the latest night akuma - Sandboy. Apparently, the state called her in to create an alternate night akuma protocol. It's also not helpful how her mind keeps thinking of Adrien liking Chloé. It's so weird...?!

 

Ow.

 

"Marinette! Perfect timing!"

 

"Huh?" Marinette picked up her backpack, staring at the guy who was standing in her- Oh. Ice cream soulmate. She rubbed her eyes, hoping this isn't some hallucination dream again because she's pretty sure Adrien should be with Lila or something right? No wait. Lila went to those fake trips again. Marinette asked, "What's up?"

"I need some advice right now..." Adrien helped her stand up. "Can we talk somewhere private?"

"Oh uh sure." Marinette agreed, glancing at Alya and Nino who are a couple of feet away from them. Adrien led her by the hand, leading her to a nearby bench. Marinette sat down, waiting for the blonde to speak. She fiddled with her bang, not sure what to do next. "So..."

 

"Okay, well... (Adrien hesitated.) I'm sorry, this is a bit awkward for me because it's about a girl." Adrien started off. Marinette can hear alarms ringing in her head. Adrien didn't notice, continuing. "We see each other all the time because we study together. We've just been friends, you know, until recently. Now I'm starting to see her differently. Has the same thing ever happened to you?"

"Got smacked by a block of cheese before I accepted the truth, but yes." Marinette admitted, rubbing her head. Plagg definitely didn't need to hit her with rock-hard cheese.

"Really?" Adrien is amused at the idea.

"Don't laugh, meanie." Marinette pushed Adrien's arm, looking away from the dork. 'Because it's you.'

 

"I'm sorry, Marinette, but why would anyone hit you with cheese?" Adrien smiled and Marinette needed to look away to calm her heart.

"It doesn't matter. This is about you, not me s-so w-what's she like?" Marinette cursed her stuttering, rubbing her cheek with one hand. "This l-lucky girl I mean. Sorry. Not a morning person here haha."

"It's alright... I uh..." Adrien hesitated again. Marinette didn't like that. It reminded her of how Adrien talks to her as Lady Noire. "Maybe this was a bad idea?"

 

"Nononono. I have great plans!" Marinette objected, trying to bring out her Lady Noire confidence. Adrien needs her help and as his friend-err-admirer? Whatever she may be, Adrien's happiness is a priority. She looked at Adrien, trying her best to ignore the soft ache in her chest. "And if you have lady problems then I, as a lady, should know what to do!"

"..." Adrien covered his mouth and Marinette crossed her arms.

"You're not taking me seriously." Marinette squinted and Adrien shook his head.

 

"Sorry. I am. It's just..." Adrien hesitates and Marinette is starting to think Adrien is being a stutterbug-?! Marinette paused. Adrien likes someone. All the symptoms are here. I should know because I'm afflicted too. Maybe he doesn't know either and I need to help him, but what if it's not me? No. I still want him to be happy even if it's not me and is it selfish to tell him I don't want him to but

 

"It's Kagami." Adrien admitted, realizing how silent his companion went. "Marinette?"

"Uh..." Marinette rubbed her temple, unsatisfied how her thoughts aren't coming together. "Sorry. Spaced out for a sec. We know her right?"

"Yeah.. She's usually paired as my fencing partner, but I understand if you two aren't in great terms.." Adrien is showing concern so Marinette needs to pretend she's perfectly fine. What sort of friend-who-has-a-crush-on-him act again? Why does my chest hurt?

"No. We're chill." Marinette waved his concerns off. "If you like her then... Uh.."

 

"Take her on a date?" Marinette offered, trying to be completely cool at the idea. Based on dating 101 by Google, guys usually ask girls they like to a date while girls show signs of attraction or something. Marinette can't look at his face, scanning anywhere but his face. "Test the waters and see where it goes."

"I-I don't like like Kagami." Adrien denied and Marinette looked to see Adrien slightly embarrassed.

 

"Come on, Adrien. You just admitted you see her more as just a friend." With a heavy heart, Marinette had to point out the signs of a crush. Each word felt like daggers hitting her chest. "Isn't that why you're asking for advice? You don't want to hurt her feelings. You see her in a different light, even if she's dubbed the ice queen."

"What?" Adrien asked and Marinette panicked. Adrien cannot know she's insulting his colleague. That's the same as insulting Nino right? One should never insult your crush's peers. Maydaymayday!

 

"I mean! Ice rink." Marinette gave him finger guns, giving him an awkward smile. "No better place to break the ice than the ice rink, am I right?"

"Ice.. rink?" Adrien grew silent, contemplating about the idea. Oh god. He does have a crush because Adrien is thinking about it. Adrien admitted, " I think I'd be too shy to go there with her by myself."

'But you want to.' A voice complemented his words and Marinette felt ill at the thought. No. Don't be selfish. He can date whoever he wants to date, even if it's not youMarinette offered, hoping he'd feel better. "Well, uh, I could come along with you if you'd like?"

"You'd do that?" Adrien has no idea how painful his words sound to her. "You aren't you busy tomorrow right?"

 

"N-not really." Marinette shrugged, fiddling with the keychain Alya gave her. 'I'll just have to postpone tomorrow's patrol so no one will hear me yowling.'

"That's awesome!" Adrien stood up. "I can't wait to go to the ice rink together. I'll text you the details after I ask father. Thanks, Marinette!"

"Yeah..." Marinette smiled back, waving bye to her friend who only sees her as a... friend.

 

...

 

"Why?" Plagg asked as soon as Adrien left. "Why did you friend zone yourself?!"

"Because I'm not Chloé or his fan girl." Marinette sighed, covering her face. "I'm his friend so I should support him. Besides, he never saw me as an option if he asked something like that to me. At least he's happy."

"You are such a doormouse." Plagg groaned and Marinette texted Alya on the latest update. "How are you my kitten?"

 

Today's bad luck is the worst.