Actions

Work Header

Starlight 2

Summary:

After losing their Family Ahri and Sarah try to keep going, but thats harder then it seems. Even more, if they realise that things arent as they thought.
_______
Part 2 of Starlight, the Story starts some months after the events in the last chapter.

Chapter Text

 

"You have to stop that! Things can' t go on like this." Sadly, Sarah stares at her friend, hands in fists, struggling with tears. "It's been months now since they..." Sarah's gaze falls to the ground, her teeth clenched.

Ahri is still standing in front of the locked door, hand on the door knob, unable to open it. "It was all my fault", she whispers, tears running down her cheeks before she slowly turns to Sarah. "It wasn't, there was nothing you could have done. And you know that as well as I do..." Slowly Sarah takes a step towards her friend before she freezes. "You need to let them go, though. They're gone. And as much as we wish they would be here, nothing will bring them back. But... we're still here, we have to keep going, keep fighting. And maybe one day we'll run into that little bitch Zoe again and we can take revenge on our friends."

Her eyes turn to Ahri and she looks at her friend seriously. "But for that you have to come back to consciousness! You have to let them go, accept that they are dead. It's pointless to hang outside their rooms and feel guilty all the time!"

"But it was my fault..."

"It's bullshit. Now come on, we have a job to finish."


~ * ~



Relentlessly, Sarah clicks around on the remote control, switching from one channel to another without really seeing what's on TV. She tries to distract herself, keeping her fingers busy while her thoughts turn to something else.

The further that damned fateful day passes, Sarah longs to put one of her bullets in Zoe's grinning face, to make her suffer for what she did to her friends. Her family.

She takes a sip of cola, the ice cubes clacking against the glass as she sees Ahri flitting into the hallway from the corner of her eye. She sighs and puts the glass down, a little too violently, the contents spill over the edge and onto the table. She doesn't care.

She follows her friend into the hallway, sees her once again standing in front of the closed door. She grits her teeth, stares at the floor. "Why now?! I thought we had gotten over it. I thought we could put all this behind us. That we wouldn't return to the rooms and clear them out as soon as we had gotten our revenge. We had a deal!"

Frightened, Ahri shrugs. "I can't forget... how can you just go on like this? I still see their faces in front of me, every day. Dreaming about them every damn night. They chase me, haunt me. This is my punishment for abandoning our family."

Ahris' sobs make Sarah flinch. "Of course you see their faces every day, we have a grave in the middle of our house!" Sarah's voice trembles, her shoulders sink as she sees Ahris go to her knees crying. For a moment she hesitates, then she also goes down on her knees and takes Ahri in a firm embrace.

"That isn't it, dummy. You see their faces because they mean something to you. I miss them too, I would give the rest of my life for just one or two more years with them. I know how you feel, I don't feel any different." A short smile flits over her lips. "I still remember how Neeko wanted to eat pancakes on Sunday mornings and Xayah turned the whole kitchen into a battleground and baked pancakes, with colorful sprinkles and cream. I used to get furious and freak out, but she did it again every Sunday, knowing that I would scold her just to make our little tomato happy".

Ahri also laughs briefly, nods. "Yes, or when Rakan annoyed her so much that she chased him all over the house and even threw her featherdaggers at him.

"What was he actually doing there?"

"I don't know, but it was fun to look at. Even when the situation got darker and she kept returning to the hospital, we managed to visit her every day, even though our school grades got worse. I was so shocked, she looked so weak the last time we visited her, I can't believe that she still went to the fight-" Ahri breaks off, again tears run down her cheek.

"I just can't believe that the three are gone...", Ahri whispers softly. "And a big part of me died with them. Timidly Sarah nods, her arms tighter around her friend. "I feel the same way. The only important thing for me is that I can take revenge on Zoe for what she did to them... and us."

"So do I."


~ * ~



Annoyed, Sarah taps with the tip of her pen on the sheet of paper in front of her. She is sitting in class, one of the subjects she is not even a little interested in. History-Politics. A smile flits across her face as she remembers, how Xayah once mentioned that this incredibly boring subject is one of her favorites, and that she would even consider taking this direction as a career. To improve her homeland, to make it a better place.

"Miss Fortune, would you also honor us with your attention or do you need an extra invitation to follow the lesson?"

Startled, she looks up, the teacher's eyes fixed on her. " I'm paying attention", she says quickly, a slight grin flits across her lips."Then I'm sure you can explain to us what the Battle of Culloden was all about and why the battle ended badly."

For the fraction of a second her grin disappears and she frowned, Xayah had annoyed her for months, what did she mention again?

"Um, if I understood it correctly, the Jacobites fought at Charles Stuart's side, hoping that his father would be on the throne. However, the Jacobites were drastically outnumbered and the supply of food was also rather moderate, so that the troops of the Jacobites moved into a bad situation, which was hopeless from the beginning. As expected, they were downright annihilated, with more than 2250 fallen and wounded as well as almost 560 captured, while on the enemy side there were not even 600 fallen and wounded".

"We have not yet discussed the number of the fallen and everything around them." He frowned, looking at her in surprise. Sarah smiles again, her eyes shine, but the sadness is clearly visible in them. "My sister loved history-politics and she has been working on this topic for a long time. It was a very annoying time for me." She looks back at her sheet, gritting her teeth.

'What I wouldn't give for another one of her historical or politically charged speeches. I miss you guys so much. But I' m strong, for you. I will make Zoe pay for this. I promise you that.'