Actions

Work Header

Blessing in Disguise

Summary:

When Kenma's sister passed away during labor, Kenma finds himself being a parent to Kozume Hanako.

Thankfully, he has Kuroo by his side, every step of the way.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter Text

Kenma knows his sister won’t make it, but that doesn’t make it hurt any less. He can’t even be angry at her, he knows she tried her best. After her husband died of a car crash, Kitsu had gone down a rabbit hole in her mind. She was struggling, and so was the baby she was carrying. With her deteriorating mental health, the doctor had told Kenma to prepare for the worst. Kenma knows this, with the way Kitsu seems more hollow as each day passes. There is no life left in her. Kenma knows this, but that still didn’t prepare Kenma from when Kitsu seems to regain her life back on the verge of death, lying on the delivery bed as she grabs Kenma’s arm, grip so strong Kenma knew it would bruise for days to come.

 

“Live for me. Live for my child, my daughter. Be the parent that she could never have,”  Kitsu gasped. 

 

Kenma was left speechless. Without properly processing her words, Kenma had nodded his head in agreement. Kitsu smiled, and relaxed her hold on Kenma. She pushed one last time, the baby was birthed with a healthy cry, and her heart flatlined. She looked peaceful as Kenma was pushed out of the delivering room. 

 

When everything ended, and a nurse came out to proclaim the death of his sister, Kenma was left with a new baby in his arms. 

 

"Kozume Hanako," Kenma remembers Kitsu mutter to him a week before. "Kozume Hanako shall be her name."

 

Kenma has options, at least he think so.

 

For one, he can give Kitsu’s baby to their parents, to let them raise the child. Plus, they had experience raising children; but their parents never did approve of his sister and especially her husband who had knocked her up just as she was starting university. She was in love with him, and wanted to carry the baby to birth. Fortunately, her husband had the same sentiment, and proposed to her the day he found out Kitsu was pregnant with their child. Despite this happy story, the Kozume parents were not happy with the future that Kitsu was throwing away for a child and a man she barely knew, disregarding the fact that Kitsu promised that she would continue with her study after the childbirth. 

 

No, bringing this child, Kitsu’s daughter, Kenma’s niece, Hanako, to her grandparents seemed like an awful idea. Kenma will not be able to visit her all the time since his parents had moved away from the hustle bustle of the city and into the more tranquil pace the countryside offered. 

 

No, there was no way Kenma would allow Hanako to be separated from him, and he still needs to get his degree if he ever wanted to start his own company one day. 

 

Another option, one that Kenma is ashamed to admit had fleeted across his mind, is to put Hanako for adoption, or at least find Hanako loving foster parents. Kenma knew that his schedule was only about to pick up with his youtube channel finally gaining following and him entering the 3rd year of college, there was no time to slot in being a parent into his life. 

 

Yet, he could never actually bring himself to even put the thought into action as he stares at his niece’s sleeping face, so peaceful in his arms. He spent hours sitting in the hospital room that was booked for Kitsu after her labor, just lamenting his options and pondering the what if’s. He was lucky the nurse didn’t come in and kick him out, at least they were sympathetic of him. 

 

His time was still ticking, and he fell restless. He knew the only option that he would accept was to take in Hanako himself, but can he actually do it? There was no world where he would give Hanako away, not after what his sister had said to him. He rubs his arm at the spot the Kitsu had grabbed him, and winced at the throb. 

 

Kenma was out of his wits. He doesn’t know the first thing about parenting. He had only seen Shoyou babysit his siblings, but that was the extent of parenting that he understood. What does he need to do with a baby? How would he know what to do when babies can’t even speak

 

Kenma knows he was starting to overthink the situation. His heart rate picked up and his breath shortened. He can’t cry, he’ll only wake Hanako up, and so his sobs become painful hiccups that threaten to swallow him whole. HIs vision blurred from the tears. His fingers are shaking and he feels cold. 

 

Why is he in this situation? Why him of all people? There are so many that are more qualified than him, so why him? How did he even end up in this situation? Why couldn’t his sister be strong enough for her daughter? Why did the burden fall onto Kenma? Kenma who didn’t know anything? Kenma who had always relied on his sister on everything? Kenma that knew the warmth of a loving touch from his sister? How would he be able to give that to Hanako?

 

These thoughts were swirling viciously around his head. He barely registers what was happening around him. He thinks Hanako is crying, but he can’t be sure. There is a ringing in his ear and his head is pounding. He feels so weak, and so cold. 

 

“...nma!” huh. I know that voice?

 

“Kenma!” Kenma’s head snaps up, pupil dilated and cheeks stained with tear streaks. 

 

“K-Kuroo?”

 

Kuroo let out a sigh of relief, pulling Kenma into his embrace. “God, you scared me.”

 

“H-how?”

 

“You called me when your sister was in labor, remember? You sounded so shaken up, I had to wrap up my lab session as quickly as I can. I’m sorry I came so late,” Kuroo said into Kenma’s hair. 

 

Kenma sobbed into his chest, “I’m sorry.”

 

“Shh, you don’t need to be sorry. We can work this out,” Kuroo shushed him, as he held him tighter. "We can work this out."

 

Kenma wants to believe it so bad.