Actions

Work Header

Misfits

Summary:

Lux and Jinx have known each other since they can remember, and have been all but raised together since their parents' passing, forging a bond of friendship that has withstood the test of time and has only grown stronger the older they got. However, when they're chosen as Star Guardians by the First Star, the dynamic between them begins to change.

Thrust into a conflict they know next to nothing about, the pair is forced to come to terms with their newfound power, and to learn how to entrust their lives to people they had not even met before. As they figure out who to trust and how to harness their new abilities in order to simply survive, a hungering darkness approaches the world of Runeterra, heralding the arrival of something far worse, and far more sinister.

Notes:

This started off as just some fluff about Star Guardians Jinx and Lux that I thought of during a game with those skins, but now I think I'mma try to make something out of it. Maybe. Dunno. Anyway, enjoy!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Super Soakers

Chapter Text

For a moment, Jinx hesitated, her finger hovering inches away from the doorbell. Then, with a decisive sigh, the redhead schooled her features and prepared herself for the annoyed look that’d be plastered on her friend’s face the moment she saw her standing there, and pressed the damn button.

A few moments passed before Jinx heard the sound of footsteps from inside the house, followed by a voice she recognised as Lux’s yelling, “Coming!”

After another moment, the girl in question opened the door, wiping her hands with a white piece of cloth. And yep, sure enough. The sigh Lux heaved when she saw the redhead awkwardly kicking the welcome mat put Jinx’s own sigh to shame.

“Is that blood?” Lux asked after looking the redhead up and down, taking in Jinx’s dishevelled appearance with a critical eye.

Jinx looked down at herself, then back to the pink-haired girl in front of her, raising an eyebrow. “No?”

“That’s not a question you’re supposed to answer with another question.”

“Hey Sparkles,” the redhead chuckled, a half-awkward-half-cocky smile blooming on her face at Lux’s mild annoyance.

“Ugh,” Lux sighed, again, and rolled her eyes, admitting defeat as she stepped aside and pointed to the inside of her house. “Get in.”

Before her childhood friend could change her mind, Jinx obeyed the otherwise very calm and not at all commanding girl’s order and wasted no time entering the Crownguard residence, scrambling to take off her all-stars at the mudroom without falling over. Once Jinx was inside, Lux closed the door behind her and turned to the redhead, crossing her arms.

“You’re an idiot,” she stated without much ceremony, glaring at her friend with a look that was more worried than annoyed.

Jinx, hopping on one foot while she took off her other shoe, replied, “Aww, were you worried, Sparkles?”

Lux merely rolled her eyes and walked past the other girl, crossing the living room with purposeful steps and entering the kitchen at the other side. Once there, she quickly took a first aid kit from one of the higher cabinets and set it on the kitchen aisle, before sitting on a stool and nodding at the one beside it.

The redhead unceremoniously took the seat offered to her, dropping her schoolbag beside her stool and propping herself up on the aisle, resting an elbow on the granite surface and propping her head up with her hand. A small smirk bloomed involuntarily on Jinx’s face as she watched her friend dab alcohol on a little piece of cotton. “You should become a nurse. Or, like, a doctor. One of those who are first on the scene and whatnot,” Jinx chuckled.

“Shut up, dummy,” Lux grumbled, and smacked the side of Jinx’s head. “Principal Camille’s gonna want your head tomorrow.”

“Eh,” Jinx shrugged. “That’s a problem for future Jinx. Present Jinx wants hot cocoa and a hug.”

With another roll of her eyes, Lux pressed the small piece of cotton against the many small cuts scattered around Jinx’s face and neck, making the other girl wince. “Well, tough luck. Only thing present Jinx is gonna get is scolded.”

“You’re no fun,” Jinx stuck out her tongue at Lux.

“Nope, I’m not,” Lux replied, and discarded the now reddish piece of cotton she’d been using to clean Jinx’s minor injuries. She took another one from the first aid kid and dabbed it in alcohol as well, before taking Jinx’s hands in her own and rubbing the cotton ball against the bruises on the girl’s knuckles. “Also, if Vi grounds you again, I’m not gonna sneak you any sweets. Or help you with your English homework.”

Jinx gasped; way more dramatically than the situation warranted. “You wouldn’t!”

“I totally would.”

“Liar,” Jinx deadpanned.

Although she tried, Lux couldn’t hold the small laugh that escaped her at Jinx’s lightning-fast response to her bluff, and admitted defeat, “Okay, fine, I wouldn’t,” before adding, “But maybe I should. Maybe then you’d stop getting into all these stupid fights.”

Jinx grinned, and tilted her head to the side pleadingly. “C’mon, Sparkles. What else do you expect me to do in my free time? Macaroni sculptures? Learn how to play the rain stick?”

Lux heaved a sigh, fixing her friend with a glare. “Would it really be so much to ask, Jinx?”

“Yeah, kinda, not gonna lie.”

Another sigh. “Whatever.” Lux then pulled away from the other girl, and got up before throwing the slightly reddish pieces of cotton she’d been using to clean up Jinx’s wounds in the trashcan. “Go take a shower; you stink,” she said after a moment, not looking at her friend as she washed her hands in the sink. “I’ll slap some band-aids on you later.”

“Wow, rude much?” Jinx gasped in mock offense, but couldn’t stop herself from laughing at Lux’s pouty face in the window’s reflection. “But aye aye, ma’am,” she added after a pause, giving Lux a mock salute and hopping off the stool, before walking out of the kitchen like someone who didn’t need any help getting around in someone else’s house.

As she rounded the bend that led to the stairs, Jinx’s eyes involuntarily focused on the many pictures that lined the wall opposite the stair’s handrail, and, like every other time, the redhead felt surprised at just how many of those she was in. For every picture of Lux and Garen on display against the wallpaper, there was one that had Lux and herself, all the way from kindergarten to high school.

Before she noticed, Jinx had stopped in front one pictures in particular, one that showed the two of them in the fourth-grade science fair, and the redhead felt a grin come to her face. In the photo, Jinx was holding two super soakers, guns akimbo style, smiling like a maniac, and running after a miniature-sized Lux, who seemed to be laughing her heart out as she fled from her. In the background, Garen ran after them, his glasses askew on his face, and trying very hard not to drop the monstrosity of a model volcano the pair of them had made for the science fair.

After a moment, the redhead looked back to the door that led to the kitchen. Although she couldn’t see Lux, she could hear the other girl talking on the phone, ordering pepperoni pizza—Jinx’s favourite. She sighed, still smiling, and turned back to the photo she’d been looking at, a photo which perfectly illustrated what their childhood had been like, and felt her heart melt. Just a little bit.

Okay, so maybe she could try to be better. Hell, she’d been joking before, but if Lux ever did decide to become a nurse or something of the sort, all the time she’d spent dealing with Jinx’s injuries better count towards her residency.

With that thought settling in her hyperactive mind, Jinx looked down at herself, and decided that the first order of business was definitely going to be a shower. And after that, she’d start making it up to Lux.