Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-09-18
Completed:
2020-10-21
Words:
20,288
Chapters:
9/9
Comments:
9
Kudos:
57
Bookmarks:
9
Hits:
1,050

A Leap Of Faith

Chapter 9: Worth the wait

Notes:

I hope, just like jake, this was worth the wait ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was friday night, Dirk was staying in, enjoying his alone time. Dave was at a birthday party for a kid named Karkat or something. Dirk couldn’t remember, he just knew it was a special name and that Dave was overly excited to go.

Dirk had just put down the pot on the stove, going to get the macaroni from the cabinet and start making dinner, when it knocked on the door. He closed the cabinet and went to the door. He didn’t even have to look to know it was Jake standing outside.

His neighbor stood there as predicted with a wide smile and a blazer and white dress shirt over his arm. “Hello Dirk, are you free this evening?” he asked with an innocent tilt of his head. Dirk smiled and leaned against his door “Yeah, I’m not doing anything tonight. Why do you ask?” he rose an eyebrow.

“Splendid.” Jake smiled “Put this on.” he said and handed Dirk the white dress shirt and blazer. Dirk blinked and took the clothes “Why?” Jake giggled, he was definitely up to something.
“Just do it, and wear some nice pants as well.” Jake made finger guns at him “Meet me in the car in 15 minutes,” and then Jake hurried down the hall.

Dirk looked after him, and then down at the clothes. He shrugged and closed the door to go change into the clothes. He added the tie Roxy and Dave had given him as a graduation gift. Roxy had told him Dave wanted to give him one covered in dinosaurs, and Dirk was so glad Roxy didn’t let him.

He walked down to the parking lot, Jake’s car was parked out front, Jake smiling from behind the wheel.
“Hop in.” he said, he seemed overly excited.

Dirk chuckled and got into the passenger seat. He buckled up and turned to look at Jake, as the raven haired man pulled out into traffic. “Jake, where are we going?” he asked.

Jake focused on the road still smiling “What? Can’t a guy just kidnap his friend without a reason?” he asked with a chuckle. Dirk rolled his eyes with a smile “Jake, why are you kidnapping me at 7 PM on a friday?”

Jake blushed slightly, the grin never leaving his face “Just wait. you’ll see.”

The sun was going down behind the tall buildings, the lights of the city lighting it up in all kinds of colors. Dirk smiled as he looked out of the window, waiting patiently for Jake to get them to their destination. He had no idea how fast Jake's heart was beating.

Jake had waited months for this evening. He had done everything to plan it, right down to the smallest details. At one of the red lights, Jake gazed over at Dirk, seeing his gentle smile, the light from the city reflexing in his shades.

Jake smiled and slowly placed his hand on Dirk's leg, hopefully not too close to make Dirk uncomfortable, and just gentle enough that Dirk could hit his hand away if needed.

Dirk looked down at the hand, he didn’t say anything. He just smiled and looked back out the window, enjoying the gentle touch. Jake looked back out on the road, his thumb gently moving over the knee in a soothing manner. None of them said anything.

Eventually Jake pulled up to a parking lot outside a tall building. It looked rather fancy, soft warm lights shining out onto the street. A fancy sign that read ‘midnight music’ stood over the entrance. Jake turned off the car and smiled to Dirk “Let’s go in,”

They exited the car, Jake hurried around it to the passenger side and offered his arm to Dirk. Dirk chuckled and decided to play along, linking his arm with Jake’s, before they made their way to the entrance.
“What is this place?” Dirk asked as he looked around the room, it seemed like a luxurious lobby, soft music came from a room behind a curtain, which hung in an open door.

Jake smiled “It’s a music club, they mostly play old songs from the 30’es to the 50’es. Really romantic.” he blushed lightly. He led them up to what seemed like a front desk, a sign that said ‘wait here for service’ stood on it. Dirk looked up at the big chandelier over them, studying the way the light reflected in the glass pendants.

An elderly man walked up to them, dressed in an old uniform suit, a name tag on his shirt said ‘jack’. He stood tall and firm, “What can I help you with tonight?” he asked. Jake smiled “I have a reservation, Jake English.” he said. The man looked at the computer behind the desk and typed on it. He gave a nod “Yeah, I see it. This way please.” lead them over to the curtain.

The man took them over to the curtain and moved it aside, to let them in. The light was dimmed, candles lighting up the different round tables. A band was playing a song on stage, a woman in a black and green dress singing. There was a small dance floor in front of the small stage, a few people were dancing. It was loud enough to enjoy, but you didn’t have to lean over to a person to have a conversation. It was like a scene out of an old spy movie.

The man took two menus and led them over to one of the tables. Dirk let go of Jake’s arm and moved around to his own chair. Jack laid the menus down on the table in front of them “I’ll give you a moment to look at the menus, do ask if you have questions.” he said before he walked away again.

Dirk took off his shades, it was too dim in there to see anything with them on. He folded him and laid them carefully on the table. Dirk took one of the menus, but instead of looking at it, he looked over at Jake “This place is really beautiful.” he then looked down at the menu “And expensive.”

Jake smiled from behind his own menu “Yeah, but don’t worry about it. It’s my treat.” he looked up at Dirk “You just sit back and enjoy.” Dirk nodded and looked back up at Jake again “Yeah okay,” there was a pause “Jake, what are we doing here?” he wanted to be sure about what exactly was going on, was what he thought it was.

Jake blushed harder and smiled nervously “ Well.. You remember you said we couldn’t really figure out what this thing.” he pointed between them both “Between us was, while you were studying?” Dirk nodded and blushed as well “Yeah, I remember.”

Jake rubbed the back of his neck “Well, you’re technically not studying anymore, and I have been planning this for months, so.. Tada, it’s a date,” Jake said and made the tiniest of jazz hands. Dirk laughed softly and smiled “You really don’t ask for permission about anything, do you?” he shook his head lightly.

Jake took Dirk’s laugh as a good sign “Yeah, sorry. I wanted to surprise you.” Dirk smiled and leaned his head on his hand, the light from the candle on the table reflecting in his eyes “Well, next time give me a heads up. I would have liked to fix my hair for this. It’s a mess.” he teased. Jake smiled fondly “You’re perfect.”

Dirk blushed madly and looked back at the menu “W-what do you recommend?” Jake laughed at the flusterness but didn’t tease him. Jack came back and took their drink orders, an old whiskey for Jake and a glass of white wine for Dirk. They both ordered the steak with steamed vegetables and whiskey sauce.

They laughed and chatted most though most of the meal, playful flirting hidden between the lines. They bumped their feet together a few times under the table, both trying to be flirty and failing, which only made them laugh more.

Jake patted off his mouth on the napkin and smiled as he leaned back in his chair.
“Here’s a question. What would your perfect wedding be like?” Dirk choked on the wine in his mouth and pointed at Jake as he swallowed it “Jake I swear, if you show up with a ring at my door in the next few months, I will say no.”

Jake laughed “No, no, it’s not like that, I was just wondering what the amazing Dirk Strider might be dreaming about for such a special day.” he said and leaned in over the table on his arms. Dirk watched him carefully up and down, judging him. You could never be too careful with Jake English.

He decided to give in to the question. He moved his finger over the rim of his wine glass “Alright. But don’t laugh.” he warned with a light blush. He thought it over for a moment “It would be an outside wedding, Roxy would be my best man or maid of honor, however that shit works.” he said “And the music, you know the one you walk down the aisle to, would be played on guitar. And..“ Dirk thought “The cake would have white icing but when you cut into it, it would look like a rainbow.” he blushed. Jake smiled and chuckled “A rainbow? Really?”

Dirk shrugged “It’s a gay wedding after all.” he looked back up at Jake “What would you want?”

Jake hummed as he thought “Well, I would want a summer wedding, and host the party close to dark. I’d want it to be on a farm and have fairy lights and lanterns hanging from the trees.” Jake said as he started to describe his dream wedding
“There would be cute personal vows, and I’d want the song at the first dance to be ‘la vie en rose.’” he smiled.

Dirk chuckled “You're such a dork. ” he drank the rest of the wine in his glass “But that does sound romantic.” he agreed. Jake smiled fondly to Dirk “I know.” They looked into each other’s eyes as the band started to play a new song.

Jake gasped and smiled “I love this song.” he said and stood up “Would you love to dance?” He asked and offered Dirk his hand. Dirk smiled and took it as he stood up

“I’d love to.”

Jake led him out onto the dance floor. He held one of Dirk’s hands in his own and placed his other on Dirk’s waist. Dirk placed his free hand on Jake’s shoulder.

The song had a happy tune, but it was slow and gentle. The woman started to sing the lyrics in a beautiful soothing voice “Heaven, I'm in heaven, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak, and I seem to find the happiness I seek, when we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek.”

Dirk moved his head to lay on Jake’s shoulder, closing his eyes. Jake smiled and quietly whispered the lyrics to Dirk as they swayed. “I love to climb a mountain, and to reach the highest peak, but it doesn't thrill me half as much, as dancing cheek to cheek” Jake whispered to Dirk.

Dirk smiled and whispered back “I think I’m in love with you.” Jake honestly thought his heart skipped a beat in that moment. He looked down at Dirk, meeting his eyes
“I’m in love with you too.”

Dirk moved his head and leaned in to kiss Jake. It was just like their first kiss, soft, sweet and slow. None of them were sure if they were still swaying, but then again, they didn’t care. It had been so long since their last kiss. A few other couples were out on the dance floor, but in that moment it felt like they were the only two in the whole world.

Notes:

I hope you guys enjoyed this silly idea of mine,
if you did, please leave a comment and let me know
have a nice day!