Actions

Work Header

Against The World

Summary:

After three years of living out of the public eye and only relying on each other for survival, Mark and Taeyong are discovered living once again in a run-down, collapsing dilapidated building. With the latter's physical condition deteriorating significantly, they are faced with a harsh reality that they can no longer live such a way if they wish to live long lives together. Old memories begin to resurface and Mark is feeling overwhelmed, weighed down by a responsibility far too great for somebody of his age and—lack of—qualifications. With enemies at every turn, they begin to feel cornered. Living a 'normal' life seems almost impossible. But, at the end of the day, at least they all have each other.

 This is a sequel! Please read the first part of this story before beginning this one.

Notes:

POTENTIALLY DISTRESSING SCENES

Trigger warnings in tags, which may change, and in that case, I will mention so on Twitter and in the chapter notes. Warnings will not be given in individual chapters to avoid spoilers except in exceptional circumstances (I will direct to the end notes in that case).

This isn't just about the ship. There is a storyline.
Rated E for violence.
Certain things are exaggerated in this story. This is a work of fiction.
I do NOT intend to romanticize mental illnesses through this story. It is a bizarre plot, but my only intention is to entertain and educate.

Chapter 1: Castaway

Summary:

Two bodies are discovered in a woodland expanse in Sampyeong-dong, bringing Taeil and Detective Kim's secret investigation to a much-feared standstill. However, strange sightings direct them towards a derelict farmhouse in Gwangmyeong-si.

Notes:

So, part two begins!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Somebody—long ago—once told Taeil that it was all over. Looking at the trail of blood that Taeyong left behind, he would have believed them. Even as he stared at his reflection in the thick crimson substance, he had a feeling, deep down, that it wasn't over. His job wasn't done yet. He'd search for Mark and Taeyong until he grew old if he had to. Even as everybody told him to move on, he knew he had a duty. An important duty which he would never abandon. He wasn't going to give up on his patient, not then, not ever. If anybody had visited Taeil's apartment and looked at the wall that he kept hidden behind a curtain, they'd think he was crazy. Almost like a stalker.

But he was far from one. His apartment had become the base of operations for what was deemed a pointless search. He had Detective Kim's full support; they worked together. Even Seulgi hadn't heard from her brother in years. That day, whether it was fated or not, was the last time Taeyong had been seen alive. He staggered away from Taeil, a shot to his leg and his hands smothered in the blood of a police officer. He had taken another life and had sworn upon his departure to never do so again. He believed him. Taeil trusted that it was the truth; he wouldn't even think about taking a life ever again. Perhaps it was wishful thinking, but he hoped and—dare he say—prayed that it was true. Taeyong could do it. He could overcome whatever drove him to pick up the knife on that day. He could live a peaceful life, he had the motivation to do so.

A lot had happened in three years. While Taeyong was presumed dead, it was well known that Mark was alive. He left unscathed, perhaps traumatized, but physically untouched. His record had become ridden by theft charges, but even when the whole of Seoul had known of his crimes, they couldn't catch him. He'd become as sly as a fox. People spoke of him as though he was a shadow in the night, a mysterious, unseen entity. He was doing what he had to do, though. It wasn't for the sake of doing it. It was never really anything major that he stole, just a few necessities for living. People weren't any more threatened by him than they were every other destitute thief. If anything, they'd simply spit out some words about how nobody should be surprised that he was living such a way. He received even more slander than the next outcast, insulting him and his ties to Taeyong who'd been made even more infamous since the officer lost his life by his hand. He was further incriminated, pushed aside, and was treated as though the only thing he'd ever done in his life was cause peril.

Taeil didn't know what he expected when Detective Kim had called him, alerting him that he had some information on the missing pair. He was on his break when he had received the call and immediately hurried out of his office and to his car, not even bothering to remove his long, white doctor's coat as he practically sped to the police station. He had been forewarned that it wasn't particularly good news, but after the drought of sightings or reports that Mark had been seen, he was ready for any information that he could get. He found it ironic. He shouldn't have found comfort in having his morning coffee, watching the news, and discovering that Mark had struck again. He was breaking the law, rather insignificantly, but it was still wrong.  He didn't know if all of their efforts were going to be in vain, but he'd prefer to at least be aware of whatever end they would meet rather than living to ignorantly proclaim they were very much alive. Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is also power.

Parking his car in the station car park, Taeil unfastened his seatbelt and got out of the car faster than he had ever moved in probably around five years. Half-running to the door, he remembered last minute that his car was indeed still unlocked and locked it before slipping his keys into one of his pockets. Some officers waved as he walked in, all too used to seeing Taeil running around rather sporadically in the more recent years. He slowed down upon reaching the inner building, instead dodging people until he reached the corridor. Detective Kim was stood outside of his office, his expression uneasy. The psychiatrist was plunged into an immediate panic when the elder didn't even smile. They'd grown rather close over the three years they'd been working together. They searched for Mark and Taeyong together, even when most people had lost interest in the case. It was no longer publicized, even when they did find a piece of once lost evidence about their location. 

"What happened?"

"Come inside," said Detective Kim, "it's probably better if we sit down."

Taeil raised an eyebrow. "You're scaring me—"

"Just, come on. Let's get this over and done with."

The younger stepped inside of the room anxiously. He'd been long anticipating the day that they'd have some kind of information which would change the course of their search, but was dreading what was to come. Bad news was better than none at all. He sat down, fixing his coat as the detective sat across the desk from him and sighed as he sat down.

"How has your day been?"

"Don't try to make this any easier, just tell me."

Detective Kim cleared his throat, sliding a written report across the table to Taeil. The psychiatrist looked up as his body filled with tension. "Two corpses have been discovered in Sampyeong-dong. They were discovered quite far from the woodland trail and, according to the crime scene investigators who are at the scene, one of them have a gunshot wound on his right leg, but as the bodies are quite... far out, the wildlife have—."

"Just, stop." Taeil's entire body froze. He didn't even want to look at the report. He didn't believe it. He didn't want to believe it at all. It felt as though everything he'd ever worked for had collapsed all around him. He gulped, shaking off the feeling, and peeked down at the report in front of him.

"The wound is the only identification which can be used, it might not be them! Plus, Mark was last seen in Gwangmyeong-si, which is miles away from Sampyeong-dong."

"It's been several months since he's been seen anywhere, they could have gotten anywhere by now."

"Exactly, the chance of them being in Sampyeong-dong is extremely slim. Why would they go there?" said Detective Kim, "Also, would it be possible for them to get there, on foot, with Taeyong? There's a chance he can't even walk anymore—"

"MS doesn't progress that quickly, even with his wounded leg, he won't be completely immobilized yet."

The detective sighed. "Well, I don't think it's them. The bodies have been taken to a lab and they'll be tested against samples of DNA that they've been provided. We should get the results in a few weeks."

"Great. They can completely disappear from the face of the earth in that amount of time. Can't they prioritize this?"

"There's no family to rush the process, but I've requested the results as soon as they get them. As the bodies weren't found in Seoul, we don't have jurisdiction."

Taeil looked down at the ground. Burying his face in his hands, he deeply exhaled. Detective Kim took the report back and placed it in his drawer.

"Listen, I know you've been disheartened by this, but don't give up yet. This world is full of people, the chance that it is them is slim. I've also been forwarded a report that there's an old derelict farmhouse in Gwangmyeong-si that's had some fairly suspicious activity these days. Locals reported controlled fires on a regular basis, and one couple was walking in the forest when they heard talking from inside. It was visited by some officers, but they returned saying it was empty, but there were belongings in there. Since Mark was seen in Gwangmyeong-si, that may be where they are or were staying."

"They will probably have moved on by now," the psychiatrist replied.

"Really? Well, what if I told you that it's been requested that we have a look?"

The younger lifted his head. Perhaps there was a glint of hope after all. "What are you waiting for? Let's go—"

"You're due to start working again in fifteen minutes."

He checked his watch and scowled. He was right. Taeil checked his phone, looking at his schedule for the day, and groaned.

"I'm seeing a patient for a ninety-minute session, then I have paperwork to do. I'll be finished at around five, but if I push this paperwork, or save some for later, I can be finished by four and we can go then. Sound good?"

"You've suddenly gained spirit," Detective Kim chuckled, "that's the Taeil I know."

"Any objections, or can I leave?"

"That's alright for me, I can leave whenever I like. It's my job, after all."

The younger stood up. "I'll call you before I leave."

"I'll come and collect you, it'll be easier in one car. I can take you back to Daehak afterward."

"Alright, then four. Not even a second later."

"Okay, now get to work, you have people counting on you," the detective replied.

Taeil grinned, walking out of the door. He really did. When the university found out about him continuing to get involved in the patients from Namhyeon's lives, he was sure that was the end for his career that he hadn't even started. But instead, they told him that what he was doing showed that he really was perfect for the field. He didn't give up, even when threatened with punishment—which, as they added, would have been worse if he was actually licensed at the time—and persevered even when everybody told him it was a complete waste of his abilities. But even so, there he was, licensed in the field and even regarded as one of the best, yet youngest, psychiatrists in Daehak Psychiatric Institution after a mere three years of working there.

While he was no longer caring for the same patients, he still enjoyed his job. He could also monitor Johnny and Yuta's care as he was respected for the work he'd done with them in the past. Although, one factor he didn't quite have much of a voice in was when they were both moved in ward three rather than two which they were originally admitted to. Ward three, while not the highest security ward, was where the patients with violent tendencies were housed. Mere weeks after Taeil got his job, Yuta had gotten into a fight with somebody—who he later learned was actually causing trouble for Johnny and him—and had 'accidentally' knocked them unconscious. They were both moved to prevent further conflict, and Yuta lost much of his freedom.

After driving back to Daehak, Taeil headed inside, fixing his badge as he walked into the main building to sign in. During his time working there, he had worked with a number of patients, but only recently had he finally moved onto ward four, a grim location frequently regarded as the 'red floor', due to it, at one point, quite literally having a red floor as a fight broke out between two previously convicted patients. They both recovered, thanks to the security staff's intervention before anybody was seriously injured, and the patients on that floor were further restricted, even if they barely interacted anyway. Taeil's patient wasn't too tough. He was only on ward four because he did, however, react badly to other patients. He was only really on that ward to give him the separation he required.

The psychiatrist made his way to his office on the same floor as ward three. He needed to get his things to take up to the floor above, as, naturally, the patients on ward four couldn't be moved between floors and instead, the sessions occurred in their rooms. He only needed a few things for the session, as he needed to make note of any progressions or changes in the patient's behavior and list down some further information that he took on a regular basis. Despite ninety minutes sounding like an excessively long time, once they got into conversation, which usually progressed to something about the patient's family life, it passed quickly. 

While the patient did comment on how Taeil seemed rather distracted during the session, the psychiatrist managed to turn around how the conversation strayed over to him, as he said, meeting an old friend in a few hours, to questioning whether the patient had anybody he wanted to see. He didn't like to become the topic of the conversation. To Taeil, his relationships with his patients were solely professional. While they obviously weren't in the past, he knew he had to keep them so while working in such a setting. He didn't need his own life getting in the way, though sometimes small anecdotes brought him closer to the patient and allowed him to get through to them.

Once the session ended, Taeil couldn't return to his office any quicker. He was supposed to be writing a closing report, but it was as though his mind was clouded by a thick, impenetrable fog. His thoughts were elsewhere, rather than being where they should have been. He should have had his mind in place, under his control and completely focused on the task on hand, but instead, it wasn't. He was too busy formulating scenarios of how the later events would occur. He wasn't even certain that Taeyong and Mark would be there. Actually, it was more likely that they weren't, and that some random middle-aged alcoholic was living in that farmhouse, and that they'd probably find him already at death's door and would spend the rest of the evening filling out even more paperwork, as though Taeil didn't already have enough treatment plans to write and official documents to complete.

When he looked at the clock, it wasn't even three. He had seventy minutes to try and defeat his brain fog and be productive; it didn't look like that was happening. He gave in to his mind and took out his phone, immediately searching through his long list of contacts to find Detective Kim's number. He pressed call without hesitation. Pushing back on his chair to give himself some space. When the elder picked up, he sighed in relief.

"I can go now," said Taeil, "there's no way I can concentrate while they could be out there."

"I had a feeling this would happen. I'll make my way over there now, I shouldn't be too long."

"I'll wait outside."

Ending the call, the psychiatrist stood up. Collecting his laptop and the paperwork he would need to complete, Taeil headed to the door. After struggling to lock the door, he turned for a moment, looking into ward three's social area. He could see Johnny sat alone, just watching the world go by as everybody else preoccupied themselves in some way. Yuta must have been locked away. Pushing back the urge to call out for his boyfriend—who, much to his disappointment, he'd hardly had any time with since his admission—he headed away from the bars separating the offices from the social area and walked down the stairs. He would just need to leave his things in his car which, after signing out, he did quickly and returned to the front of the building to wait.

He was feeling nervous, and he didn't exactly know why. He didn't know what to expect, but if they were there, he knew they'd hardly be any different since the day he'd last saw them. He would be relieved to see them, but he didn't know what would happen if they were found. Mark could easily serve jail time for his counts of theft and Taeyong would probably be admitted to Daehak, which, really, wasn't that bad. But it would mean that the couple would definitely be separated. He didn't want that for anybody, never mind them specifically. He knew they were all each other had, it would especially tear Taeyong apart to be separated from Mark.

Detective Kim's familiar silver car soon made its way into the car park, and Taeil had never been so happy to see a car in his life. He just wanted to be at the location as soon as possible. When the car came to a stop, the psychiatrist got into the passenger seat and didn't waste any time. "Come on, we haven't got all day."

"I may be a detective, but I can't just speed," the elder replied as he drove out of the car park.

Taeil sighed, but he knew he was right. He had a tendency of being far more logical than him.

"But, you do remember that they might not be there, right?" he asked, "I don't want you to get your hopes up and then be let down."

"You sounded sure they were, before."

"Because I have evidence to believe they are. But even the most crystal clear evidence can mislead you sometimes."

"Well, then we look harder, right? Isn't that what you detectives do?"

"I like your enthusiasm. It's not all that we do, but it is a large chunk of the job."

The younger nodded. "How long is this drive?"

"About thirty minutes."

"It's a good job that I came now, it could be dark by the time we get there."

"That's a bit of an exaggeration," said Detective Kim.

"It won't be too far, it's dark when I usually get home. I normally stay until around seven to complete paperwork."

"We have plenty of time, it's only just turned three. We'll have two and a half hours of sunlight, roughly, and afterwards, I have headlights if necessary. But I have the address, we can drive straight there."

Taeil was rather impatient during the drive. He just wanted to have an answer as to if he should be worried about those test results for the next few weeks of his life, waiting to know if Taeyong and Mark really were dead. He didn't think they were. He had a feeling that those bodies weren't them, and, as tragic and horrible as it was, he was glad it wasn't them. Once the city and any major roads were far out of view, their only sights for what seemed like miles on end were trees and every now and again, a small house. Soon, there was nothing but trees, and Detective Kim turned down a road which made the younger turn to him in concern.

"Is this the right way?" he questioned.

The road was extremely narrow and seemed to continue for far beyond their view. If Taeil hadn't known the detective for years, he'd have thought he was about to be murdered and left to rot in a ditch. Or, more likely, he thought they'd have to come to an abrupt stop, noticing a body peeking through the long, overgrown grass.

"It looks about right."

"How can you tell? It's just a bunch of trees."

"It is an abandoned farmhouse, of course it's surrounded by trees and nothing else. How else do you think they'd have gotten away with it?"

The psychiatrist hummed. "You're right. They're sneaky."

"We should probably walk the rest of the way, it shouldn't be too far. They might be alarmed if they hear or see the car approaching."

"Walk? Out there?"

"You want to see them, don't you?"

"They might not even be there!"

"Come on, it's the middle of the day. What could happen?"

Taeil shook his head. "You're reckless, sometimes."

"I have to be, that's my job."

Detective Kim got out of the car, leaving the younger no other option. He sighed, pushing the door open gently. He took off his white coat—not wanting it to get covered in filth as he did have work in the morning—and placed it on the seat. While temporarily relieved that he got to stretch his legs, he jumped as a bird flew through the leaves.

"How did you 'work' in an abandoned asylum for years?" he joked.

"It's been a while, I'm a little rusty when it comes to this stuff."

The elder laughed. "Let's go. We won't just teleport there."

Taeil didn't know why the forest crept him out so much. Maybe it was just the memories associated with them, or that he really was too used to being in an office all day that he'd lost his edge. He didn't know why the memory of that day stuck in his mind like a thorn, but it wouldn't leave him alone no matter how hard he tried. Perhaps, rather logically, it was because it was his first time attending a murder scene seconds after the act was committed. The first perpetrator just so happened to be Taeyong, the one who he was certain could change. He didn't like the look in his eyes as he stepped away, throwing the knife onto the gravel. There really was no guilt to be seen. The nonchalance in his face gave the psychiatrist the chills. He was just relieved that the patient didn't erupt into a fit of laughter, just like one of the others definitely would have if it were him, instead.

Walking across the dirt path, Taeil scanned his surroundings at every slight rustling in the bushes. Detective Kim didn't seem to react. He gathered it was the difference in profession. After all, the elder had probably seen far worse things. They could hear crows in the trees, almost stalking them. Taeil was sure that one, in particular, was following them, and he'd watched enough movies in his life to know that was not a good sign. He began to worry. Even if they didn't find who they were looking for, they very well may have just entered a serial killer's playground, and could easily be their next victims. He heard the detective move suddenly and looked up, right before he was pulled aside.

"Got you," Detective Kim muttered, "look who we have here."

Taeil looked around the tree that they were hiding behind to see Mark. He was more than relieved that he was alive, but looking at the shovel in the younger's hands, he wasn't sure what to expect as the tool was forced into the dirt. He made eye contact with the detective who signaled for him to follow. The psychiatrist couldn't help but notice that Mark looked taller. It wasn't surprising, but he still didn't really expect that. He was twenty, after all. He wasn't the teenager who stubbornly returned to the asylum because he was fascinated with one of the patients anymore. He was an adult. While he doubted he'd have matured in any way—simply because of the absence of a normal lifestyle—he was almost certain that he'd be more protective of Taeyong, especially with the patient's illness.

Taeil knew that they'd have been set back by the events. Even if they were to take both of them into their care, either officially or otherwise, he knew that the patient would probably need to be worked with once again. Three years is a long time to spend away from much interaction. Even if he had Mark. They walked closer, as quietly as they could, and Detective Kim looked more closely at what he was doing. They could hardly see, but one thing was for sure, there wasn't a body about to be buried. Accidentally standing on a twig, Taeil brought Mark's attention to them. The detective scowled at the psychiatrist, who muttered an apology. The younger simply looked at them in surprise, his hand gripping onto the shovel's handle. Taeil practically stared Mark down.

"Mark Lee," said the detective, reaching backward, "place the shovel down and step away."

The psychiatrist's eyes widened. He hadn't even noticed that he'd brought a gun. "What are you doing? He's not a hazard—"

"Just leave this to me," the elder replied.

Mark complied, rather nervously stepping away from the shovel as he left it on the ground. He held his arms up, expecting to be shot at if he made the slightest wrong move. When he was far enough away, Detective Kim made his way over to the hole that he'd been digging in the ground. Looking in for a moment, he was surprised to see a box in the ground and his muscles immediately relaxed.

"What is that?"

"A grave—"

"A grave?" Taeil asked before the detective could even speak, "For who?"

"A kitten," he replied, immediately making the other two look at him in confusion, "it was in a box at the side of the road, we were trying to raise it, but it didn't work."

"We?" asked Detective Kim, "Taeyong is still alive?"

The younger furrowed his eyebrows. "Why wouldn't he be?"

"He was shot."

"Well, he took a while to heal, but he's fine. We had some help from some people."

"Well, that's all good, but you—"

"What are you doing here?"

The voice immediately made Taeil turn towards the door of the building. Taeyong, looking incredibly worn-out and almost ghostly, was stood barely standing with the aid of two wooden sticks acting as something to make his walking a little bit easier, sort of like makeshift walking sticks or crutches. The patient was feeble, it didn't take an expert to notice how he clung onto the sticks for dear life. Upon seeing him, Mark immediately rushed over from where he was stood.

"Why did you come down? I thought you were resting."

The elder nodded, lifting one of the sticks off of the ground as he instead had an arm wrapped around him. "Well, I heard voices. I didn't want to risk anything."

The detective turned to Taeil, who was simply gawking. He never would have expected, of all things, that Taeyong's state would deteriorate so quickly. He guessed that his lifestyle in addition to the injury he sustained didn't exactly help. Mark helped his boyfriend sit down as the latter tried to ignore the looks of pity that were being sent his way. Detective Kim was surprised that he was even alive with such a frail body.

"So? What do you want?" asked Mark, his tone coming across as rather bitter.

"We wanted to know that you were alive," the detective replied.

"Well, you know now. Now go back, and I don't want to see you here ever again."

"Mark... don't be like that," said Taeil, "we can help—"

"We don't need help," he spat, "especially not from one of those."

Detective Kim frowned, seeing the gaze of hatred that was directed at him. He completely understood. After all, it was an officer that shot Taeyong. 

"Taeil," said the detective, "a moment, please."

The younger stepped aside, disheartened that they were met with such a response. Detective Kim pulled him further away and faced away so Mark couldn't figure out what he was saying.

"I know you won't like this," he began, "but we're going to have to report them."

"No! Not happening!"

"We'll both be punished if we don't. And if that doesn't bother you, then it should be obvious to you that that is not right. Sure, Taeyong's condition can't kill him, but do you know what can? Hypothermia, starvation, infection, disease, and there's so many more, and you know it. Both of them. They'll die out here."

Taeil hesitated. The last thing he wanted was for them to die after he only just got the reassurance that they were alive, but he knew that it would, emotionally, be the worst thing they could ever do to them. For one, they'd be torn apart, but also rather simply, it would somewhat comparable—at least in Taeyong's case—to taking a wild animal out of its natural, familiar environment and locking it in an enclosed space.

"If you think you can still deal with them, just take a look at everything here. One of them is one thing, but now, you have two. Either Mark is just protective, or he's just downright feral, which, really, it wouldn't surprise me."

"I get it, I understand what you're saying. But this goes far beyond their behavior. How can we be sure they'll receive the right care?"

"It's a doctor's job to deal with that correctly. No more shenanigans, the world has changed."

"Give me one day," said the younger, "please, just one day, and then I'll let you report them."

The detective sighed. "What do you expect to achieve in a day?"

"You just wait and see."

Taeil walked back over to the pair, making Mark tense with just how close he was getting.

"Are you hungry?" he asked, "Should I bring you something actually good to eat?"

As a wise soul—somewhere on the vast earth—probably said at some point in time, food was the gateway to the heart of any sentient being.

"How can I trust that you won't try something sneaky?"

"I'm no different from the person who was caring for Taeyong. Just because time has passed, it doesn't mean everybody changes."

Mark still looked uncertain. Taeil didn't exactly blame him, he'd likely be the same if he was in the younger's position.

"Just wait here, I'll be back soon. If you leave, you'll miss out on this!"

Detective Kim scowled. Taeil didn't get his head bitten off when he tried to communicate with them as he did.

"Let's go, I'll pay," said Taeil as he walked past the elder.

"Damn right you will, I don't get paid enough to do things like this."

Notes:

If you have any thoughts, don't hesitate to comment :)