Actions

Work Header

Chapter 3: New Faces

Summary:

TL;DR, Villager meets a new person and also learns a bit about the combat system.

Notes:

I'm terribly sorry the chapter took so long to come out, I had been preoccupied and I found myself distracted and unmotivated to write.

Due to that, this chapter may or may not live up to your expectations :(

But regardless, I have planned out the (drafts) of the next few chapters, and I've also figured out how many chapters I want this to be. Roughly 11-13 chapters at max, though that number may vary.

I will also revisit previous chapters and touch up/ fix it so that it's easier to read. No need to reread it again.

And also, thank you very much for the support I have been getting! It has been very nice to see, and helped push me to actually finish the chapter and move fowards!

Here's a recap since this took a while:

Villager lost his voice due to a horrible trauma regarding Obsidi, a childhood bully. His family didn't care about him and neither did his classmates, so he felt the crushing loneliness and desperation fill him. Villager finds himself in a lot of scuffles for looking weak, and one particular one leaves him half breathing. He was eventually found and adopted by Tom Nook, helping the raccoon around in exchange for his company. Eventually, Villager gets a letter from Master Hand and realizes he is invited to the Super Smash Bros Wii Tourney.

He leaves home with sad goodbyes and a few parting gifts, boarding the train that would take him to the tourney. Unfortunately, he crosses a fellow Smasher "Dark Pit," who's in a sour mood. This results in a brief quarrel, but it quickly ended and Villager was able to relax after Dark Pit calmed down. The train arrived at the Smash Mansion, and all the people/ monsters that were on board began to grab their room numbers and set away luggage. Villager got to meet his idol Mario, but he quickly found the situation sinking when he realized he had forgotten to take his pen and paper with him to talk, and was therefore left with no way of communication. He was eventually sent to Link's line, and as a last ditch effort Villager tried sign language. Surprisingly, the Hylian knew, and Villager was able to go off to his room and settle down. He meets Toon Link for the very first time, a nice and welcoming presence. But he also meets Roy, an older boy who was angry at Villager, which makes him wonder how many others feel the same way as Roy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Outside the Smash Mansion, a pair of birds played together on the branches of a tall oak tree. Their wings fluttered and flapped as they chattered about whatever birds talked about at the break of dawn. In their hustle, they accidentally knocked a branch into a window, but birds being birds, they flew away, unknowing of the exhausted, worried boy that tried to rest inside.

 

The boy in question had his eyes wide open, staring into the ceiling as a small clock ticked in the corner of his room. He flinched when he heard a loud thunk at the window, but didn't get up to investigate. He didn't seem to be breathing correctly, and as the seconds went by the boy shut his eyes and let out a deep, tired sigh.

 

It was the dawn of the orientation, yet Villager didn't sleep a wink.

 

Certainly, he had met all sorts of other new individuals here and there as he was passing by, but since he was a newcomer himself he was anxious to introduce himself. In front of a crowd. In front of various villains, ridiculously powerful heroes, and very influential people.

 

His heart wouldn't stop beating out of his chest.

 

He knew it was an irrational fear, of course. Why bother joining if he was to be scared, after all? But at the same time, he wanted the opportunity to prove himself. To his family back home, he could take care of them too. 

 

Just like they did him.

 

Giving up trying to sleep as the sky began to brighten more, he rolled out of his bed and washed up sluggishly, splashing his face with water and pulling on a warm sweater to fight the morning chills. Eyes heavy with exhaustion but body refusing to let him rest, he stumbled out of his room and headed for the kitchen, minding his surroundings as he dragged his feet there.

 

He had passed by a few other early morning risers, bidding a hello to a bleary eyed boy around his age who had what Villager thought was a Pokemon by his side. (He didn't quite respond, though. Surprisingly, his Pokemon did.)

 

Villager eventually found and entered the kitchen area, looking around for the spare mugs and sitting on a stool, waiting for the water to boil.

 

The kitchen was open 24/7, but just because it was open didn't mean it was a good idea to go in there all the time. During meal times, for example, Toon Link had told him how the food would quite literally fly from one part of the room to the other to save time, and that Villager really didn't want to be caught in the crossfire. (Apparently, Toon Link spoke from personal experience. He didn't probe further.)

 

Drawn out of his head by hearing a few other individuals enter the room, he looked up to see the blue anthropomorphic bird Falco pull up a stool beside him and thunk his head onto his crossed wings, clearly tired and just wanting to start off his day. Judging by the still-brewing pot of coffee nearby, Villager assumed that was what he was waiting for.

 

Villager decided to take the time to look around, peering at the Smashers that had decided to rise up early in the morning for their daily brew. The Mario brothers were murmuring about something together while drinking their own individual disposable cups, their words undecipherable from Villager's distance but still appearing quite casual in appearance.

 

Samus, her full body armor removed and only clad in her skintight blue "Zero Suit," was adamantly ignoring what looked to be Captain Falcon in only his helmet with a regular tee and boxers flirting with her, his movements exaggerated and voice at a surprisingly respectful volume, (but Villager still heard the occasional lewd comment, which made him avert his eyes to a different individual.)

 

A boy who was a similar age to him with upturned blond hair was sitting close to him, looking blankly down at the table while his feet kicked aimlessly below him. Villager didn't remember his name, but he vaguely recognized the hairstyle and wondered if he saw him before on TV.

 

Before he could examine the rest of the room further, the hot water machine let out a soft ding that caught his attention. Hopping off his stool, he looked in surprise to see the blond jump with him. The two walked over to the machine, not really saying anything to each other, and selected their mugs. Villager went for the hot water first, about to choose any random tea bag before being suddenly interrupted.

 

"Don't choose that one."

 

Villager looked up to meet blue eyes, his head tilting questionably.

 

"I've had it before, it tastes like liquified chemical perfume and cheap candy. Too artificial," the blond elaborated.

 

Nodding hesitantly, he rummaged around his pockets for his notes, (which he doesn't go anywhere without after what had happened last time,) and clicked his pen, scribbling something quickly.

 

'-What do you recommend?'

 

The other took a moment to read, squinting his eyes before responding. "I'd say one of the more common herbal teas. My personal favorite is green tea, though you could try oolong. The particular brand the Hands selected for that tea is rather good."

 

Going with the advice, Villager took an oolong pack and dipped it into his mug of water, watching it seep and change its colors to a warm brown. He lifted it to his lips and took a tentative sip, eyes widening. 

 

Sure, he's had his tea. While Tom, Isabelle, and Redd were more coffee individuals, Villager liked the tea bags Isabelle sometimes brought with her from work and enjoyed every sip, despite its bland taste.

 

Whatever he was drinking here? It outmatched the cheap, wrinkled tea from home. Eagerly going for another sip, he recoiled from the scalding hot water hitting his tongue before hearing a little giggle. 

 

Villager looked up.

 

The blond was laughing behind his hand, his cup already filled and a little paper with string hanging over the rim. "Don't burn yourself! I had the same reaction too when I tried the herbal teas here. It almost tastes like they literally planted the original tea leaves in the garden and plucked them fresh just for us." He gave a softer chuckle. 

 

Villager smiled, appreciative of the blond's advice and casual conversation. After scaring off whatever drowsiness he still had, (he was going to regret it later,) he gave the blond a quick goodbye before ducking out of the kitchen, hand clenched around the handle of his mug and feeling the warmth radiate from the cup.

 

Villager slipped through the slightly ajar door of his room, sitting on the edge of his bed, sipping the drink slowly as the oolong dregs swirled around the bottom of the cup. As he drank the silky liquid, he considered what had happened in the past few days and pressed his finger into the rim of his cup.

 

Toon Link had been gracious enough to give Villager a deep look around the mansion during their tour, though even with his detailed description Villager still somehow got lost very often. Sometimes it felt like someone was playing tricks on him, making him bump into walls or doors that he swore wasn't there before. 

 

Mulling over his thoughts, Villager glanced over at the hypherilull seed that he had recently potted by his windowsill, the plant already sprouting. Its intricate blue-green swirls wrapped around its tiny, fragile stem, vibrant colors promising its eventual bloom. Villager smiled softly at the present Tom had given him and the picture frame next to it, setting his now empty cup aside and opening the window blinds to allow the light in.

 

Silently shuffling around and eventually leaving his little corner, Villager made his way to the main room, sighing in relief when he found it. Taking a seat off the side, he folded his hands on his lap and rested his head on the back of his chair, eyes wandering. He watched a particularly loud group of participants, their movements animated and excited. 

 

His attention was drawn, however, to Master Hand approaching the front stage, its fingers swaying elegantly. The corporeal being carefully floated up to the podium and brushed its palm off, a short but stern cough leaving its throat. The low chatter in the room quieted.

 

"All newcomers. Please be seated, the orientation will begin shortly."

 

The scratching and rustling of chairs filtered through his ears, and Villager sat up in his seat. Hearing a chair pull back next to him, Villager turned to see a familiar blond haired face- the same boy in the kitchen that morning who had offered tea tips. Villager gave the other a small wave, to which the jittery boy returned.

 

"Is it okay if I sit here?" The blonde asked.

 

Villager nodded, and the boy sat down by him, quieter than a mouse. Strangely, he seemed a lot more nervous now than he did earlier that day. Perhaps it was because of the different people that surrounded them? Regardless, the two boys shared a content silence as they waited for everyone to settle.

 

Master Hand hovered patiently at the platform as a few members of the Twelve took their places behind the hand on the stage. It tapped the mic with its large index finger before speaking. 

 

"Thank you, all. Today I wish to start off by establishing core rules and formally introducing you all to our little tournament. If you haven't already been met before, the figures behind me are the original Twelve. they have been participating in this tourney since day one, and are fully comfortable as well as suitable to answer any and all of your requests or questions within reason."

 

The hand floated around the stage, taking the mic with it, allowing for its voice to be projected evenly.

 

"Let me introduce all of you to each other. I hope that we may be civilized individuals and treat one another with respect."

 

Master Hand snapped its fingers and a scroll appeared in its palm. Villager watched, mystified, as it elegantly flapped its wrist to straighten the paper. The hand, holding the scroll like a human, called out a name bright and clear. A name he was worried was going to be called out first, regardless of all the others in the room, and a name that made his stomach drop with dread.

 

"Villager, from the Animal Crossing universe."

 

His mouth dried up when the hand gestured in his direction and a little blue hologram hovered over his head. Everyone's eyes were pinned onto him, and he squeezed his fists as he gave a small, fake smile. He wasn't sure if he was meant to say anything, if at all.

 

Yet just as quickly as the attention was on him, it left, Master Hand calling out a new name and the blue light that was above him switching to someone else. Sighing in relief and relaxing once all eyes were looking elsewhere, he slumped back into his chair and let his eyes aimlessly follow the blue hologram jump across the room to the other newcomers, listening as Master Hand listed their names and univeerses.

 

"Hey, you alright?"

 

Villager lifted his head to meet the gaze of the blonde that had sat next to him. His blue eyes were laced with concern, hand outstretched in a hesitant yet comforting manner.

 

"You seemed really stressed out when Masted Hand called you out, so I wanted to make sure you were okay." 

 

The sudden calling of his name certainly stunned him and also made him feel a little bit sick, but thankfully it was only for a second. He felt a little bit guilty for making the other unnecessarily concerned for him in this way. Despite that, he still appreciated the gesture, and Villager gave the other boy a closed eye, genuine smile. 

 

The blond returned the smile and the two turned to face the stage once again just as Master Hand finished up introductions.

 

"And now, we shall get into the specifics and points of interest of this tourney. After all, we don't want to have any lawsuits for the deaths of our competitors, eh? Not like any of you can die on the grounds, anyways." The deity laughed, before continuing. 

 

"First of all, as I'm sure you have all read in your contracts, you can't take major, critical condition damage when onstage. My magic prevents so; any cuts, blasts, or punches that would normally be fatal only feels like a pinch." The Hand snapped, summoning a sharp looking blade. "I shall use this item as an example. Mario, if you may, could you step up and be an example to our dear audience?"

 

The plumber walked over with a curt nod, standing with confidence in front of the many fighters. Villager watched with barely concealed surprise and discomfort as the magical floating hand stabbed Mario in the chest. But instead of the usual cry of pain or blood spurting from the wound, only a small slit was visible on the man's overalls, which surprisingly patched itself up the moment the sword left his chest.

 

But what was more shocking was the meter above Mario's head, manifesting itself almost silently with the number '5%,' then quickly disappearing soon after. Brushing off his clothes, Mario casually returned to his spot as the audience began to clap respectfully.

 

"Of course, being on the battlefield is not restricted to only swords. There are also individuals who fight with their fists, with guns, with various limbs or interdimensional monsters. Here at the Smash Wii Tourney, we're rather open to the various different and individual ways you all fight, which is why we have requested for you to bring your own weapons or tools from your own home world."

 

"Additionally, as I'm sure you have all noticed, your homeverse abilities have not been activated and have been temporarily disabled when you stepped onto the mansion's grounds. On the battlefield or training grounds, these abilities will return to you."

 

Villager paused at those words, fingers twitching slightly.

 

In his home universe, it wasn't out of the ordinary to see a human or animal use their Pocket ability on certain items, the items carried or items allowed to carry depending on each region. Not every individual had the ability, though it tended to pop up most commonly in humans.

 

In his little, out of the way town, Pocketing was incredibly rare and quite unseen, the only people or animals Villager knew to be able to use it being Tom Nook and himself. While Tom used it often to move around furniture, (albeit not very often,) Villager had barely used his ability, preferring to use his own body and skills harbored through practice. Pocketing wasn't a skill he was… well, skilled with. 

 

And he couldn't forget the judgemental stares that he had received from his classmates when he was just a young kid. Barely old enough to write properly. He couldn't forget the taunting words, the innocent compliments edged with blades, the heartless way those people jealousy pushed him around until he decided to never use it again unless absolutely necessary.

 

Looks like "necessary" meant now.

 

The rest of the orientation went by like a blur, the other things Master Hand covered being basic rules, stocks, items, stages, teleportation, its magic, scheduling, and other important information that went in one ear and went out the other. The members of the Twelve on the stage demonstrated a few examples, and those were the bits that had caught Villager's attention the most. Tidbits of information filtered in, too, something about how "There are some fighters in the mansion that are only here to watch, supervise, or help assist with the tourney instead of partaking in it…" or how "A few of you might recognize some of the figures that the Assist Trophies replicate themselves into from your home verses. They aren't the actual form, though. Merely a shade…"

 

Villager could tell the hand's long talk was starting to affect the other newcomers too, a couple of them appearing to be nodding off. 

 

Eventually, they were all finally dismissed from the hall, Master Hand passing out a little sheet filled with the scheduling specifics of the tourney as they all left. They had started the meeting in the morning and it was now mid-afternoon, delicious smells wafting from the cafeteria next door. 

 

Villager began to stretch his arms as he walked, bones cracking quietly. His gaze was focused on what was ahead of him, so he jolted when he felt two taps on his shoulder completely unwarranted.

 

Whirling around and almost slapping the person in the face, he paused and lowered his hand as the blond boy that had sat next to him stood there awkwardly, rubbing his arms nervously.

 

Blushing out of embarrassment, Villager scrambled for his notepad, scribbling a few lines and showing the blond.

 

'-Sorry! Didn't see you.'

 

The other boy gave a weak laugh before nodding. "It's alright, probably should have called your name. Villager, right? Did you like my tea recommendation?" The blond started walking by Villager as they made their way into the cafeteria, their conversation only between them as the strong sounds of chatter hung heavily in the room. Villager's shoulders relaxed along with the other's.

 

'-Yes, the tea was delicious! I'll have to try your other recommendation as well. My name is Villager, indeed. Master Hand didn't call you, though, what is your name?'

 

"Lucas," the boy replied. "My name's Lucas. I'm glad you liked the tea! And well, he didn't call my name because technically I joined last year's tournament as a newcomer. I came late the first time around, missing the orientation, and had to have a general run down from a friend."

 

'-If you already knew the rules, why sit through orientation again?'

 

Lucas laughed. "You'll think I'm weird for this, but I wanted to get every last bit of information. Even though my friend gave a pretty decent rundown, I was just curious to see what he had missed." The blond rubbed his nose nervously. "He had indeed missed a surprising amount, but it was just the minimal stuff and at least he told me enough to get through the rounds for the tourney last year."

 

Villager blinked, a bit curious as to who this friend was, but shook it from his head. '-Why didn't you ask Master Hand for help?'

 

Lucas shuddered at that, a pale look crossing his face. "At the time, Master Hand was out of town and the only one I could consult was Crazy Hand." 

 

At Villagers confused expression, he elaborated. "Master Hand's brother. Master Hand doesn't usually let Crazy Hand be the first thing newcomers see or hear, in fear that it might drive them away. As its name implies…" Lucas sighed. "Crazy Hand didn't help at all. Just spouted out some ominous violent jokes and twitched madly. The tournament was starting very soon, too, and everyone was so busy. I didn't want to be a bother."

 

Lucas let out a small breath, a short silence stretching between the two. "That was a bit too personal, wasn't it? Did I talk too much?"

 

Villager shook his head rapidly. '-No not at all! I was curious, thank you for being patient with me :)!'

 

Lucas gave a small chuckle at the little smiley doodle, the two boys continuing their slow but steady conversation as they piled food onto their plates. Lucas talked about how he had some worldly issues back home so he wouldn't be able to actively partake in the tourney until a little bit after it had already begun, how that was part of the reason why he wanted to listen to the official orientation spiel, and different tips as to approaching the Smash Mansion. Villager gave little nods to show he was listening. Eventually, they walked out of the line with their plates of hot food in tow. Unsure of whether or not Lucas wanted him to follow, Villager trailed the blond to a table near the entrance of the cafeteria, where a few figures already sat.

 

Right off the bat, Villager recognized Toon Link, the boy standing on his seat exclaiming something to his table, their expressions varying from mortified to amused. Nearby, Ness of the original Twelve was laughing heartily at whatever Toon Link had said. His eyes brightened when he saw Lucas approaching, calling out to the blond loudly. With all the noise in the cafeteria, his shout was drowned out, but not before reaching the ears of the approaching duo.

 

"Hey, Lucas! C'mere c'mere, how was the orientation? Tired of all the blab by Master Hand? I'm insulted you didn't think my explanation was good enough all that time ago, me being here so long meaning that I'm one of the few that have Master Hand's spiel memorized to a T! Well, almost to a T… hey, who's your friend?"

 

Lucas and Villager had sat down opposite to Ness, and Villager perked up in surprise at the mention of his presence. At the speed Ness was talking, he almost missed his question.

 

'-I'm Villager,' Villager wrote, showing it to the boy. Ness nodded, a bright smile still on his face.

 

"Nice to meet'cha, Villager! I'm Ness, one of the original Twelve. I can introduce you to the rest of the group if you want!" The raven haired boy said, his energy bursting at the seams.

 

"You don't have to speak for all of us, Ness." A boy with a long, dark forest green cap spoke softly, analyzing Villager with his bright cyan eyes. "I am Young Link, one of the reincarnations of the original hero in my universe."

 

A red capped boy with dark brown hair piped up next, his voice quiet yet holding a form of strength. "I'm Red. A fellow newcomer." He gestured to a blue, boy-ish robot laying on the wall, his eye sockets blank. He had a long cord attached to the wall, evidently charging. "That's Megaman. He is also a newcomer. He may look deactivated, but he's still conscious and can hear us all."

 

Villager nodded in understanding before turning to Toon Link, who was grinning toothily. 

 

"Come on, Villa! You already know me! Wasn't our little 'date' enough?" 

 

Spluttering, Villager flushed in embarrassment and covered his face with his hands. His reaction garnered a few laughs, but his embarrassment didn't die down until a while after the topic had passed, lunch passing by like a blur.

 

(Eventually, Villager managed to sneak a punch at Toon Link's arm, to which the boy admitted he deserved.)

 

Ness pulled Villager aside afterwards, the sun's rays steadily getting lower and lower in the sky. The member of the Twelve gave Villager a positive, reassuring smile, giving him a pat on his back.

 

"I know it's getting a bit late and you probably want to nap all of Master Hand's drabble off, but do you want to do a practice round? Just to demonstrate all the funny little details. I can wait for you at the portal while you get your stuff. As a member of the Twelve I kind of see it as my duty to help newbies get started, or at least try a round before the previews."

 

'-All right,' Villager scribbled, pocketing his notepad and giving a short wave to Ness as he ran to his room, running up a few flights of stairs. Excitement and apprehension drove him forward each step at a time, his eagerness momentarily blinding him to a few issues he forgot about on his way. 

 

It was only when Villager was standing in his doorway, staring at all his tools and weapons lined up on the wall, that he realized he had absolutely no idea how to move his weapons. He grabbed his face in frustration at himself and slumped against the doorframe, sliding down and resting on the ground, defeated.

 

How was he meant to meet with Ness now? He couldn't just not go, but at the same time saying that he cancelled because he "didn't know how to move his weapons" seemed like a terrible and horribly embarrassing idea as well.

 

Lost in thought, he didn't notice when a familiar figure approached from the edge of his vision, moving slowly and carefully towards him. When the figure suddenly tapped his shoulder, Villager yelped and whirled around in shock, surprised to see Toon Link squatting next to him. The blond was staring at him curiously.

 

People should really warn him before touching his shoulder.

 

"What're you doing on your doorframe?"

 

Villager blinked, before realizing Toon Link was quite right. Rubbing his cheek sheepishly, he pulled out his notes and scribbled a quick note.

 

'-Need help transporting weapons to the entrance. Do you know how?'

 

To Villager's surprise, Toon Link just laughed, standing back up.

 

"'Course! Was that all you were hung up about?"

 

Again, Villager felt a flush of embarrassment swath his face. He nodded, averting his gaze.

 

"Alright, it's super easy! Can I come into your room?" 

 

The pair sat around an open space on the ground with various items stacked on top of eachother, Toon Link muttering to himself quietly and pulling out random items from his pockets while Villager merely checked his tools and weapons once again. An axe, net, and shovel in a sheath was tucked safely to the side, while a heavy bowling ball took the center. There was a slingshot with various pebbles supported by a little bag, a pair of boxing gloves resting against it. Peculiarly so, three large radishes were wrapped up and kept to the side of the pile as well. Villager didn't really remember packing them for the tourney, but he figured it must have been misplaced. He'd check it out later.

 

Gently moving the gloves and tools aside, he picked up his sapling seeds and his empty canister, peering at the bag to make sure the seeds were not damaged.

 

Satisfied with the check, Villager put it back down and pushed past his helmet and uninflated balloons to make sure that his firecracker, an item he was very hesitant on bringing, was safely out of the way for any ignition. (Villager didn't want his tools on fire, after all.) After making sure his umbrella and stick were also safely in place, he glanced towards Toon Link.

 

The said boy was still muttering to himself, now pacing the room. Villager watched him for a short while before standing up and peering at the pot sitting quietly by the window.

 

Picking up his extra pail for his hyperilull seed from the side of the windowsill and filling it with water from the sink, he carefully poured water onto the little sprout, happy to see its leaves dance and sway under the gentle watering. He picked up the pot and lifted one of the plant's leaves, the underside of it seemingly glowing in the orange light of the setting sun.

 

The tranquil moment was ruined, however, by Toon Link suddenly jumping up and snapping his fingers, surprising Villager and making him almost drop his plant.

 

"Found it! Here, check this out."

 

Still clutching his plant, Villager walked over to Toon Link, staring at what looked to be a slightly crumpled sheet of paper. Unimpressed, he raised an eyebrow to Toon Link, only to see him stare back at Villager with a look of excitement. 

 

"It's a seal that Master Hand gave me! It's kind of like an easier way to transport things, because look!" Toon Link suddenly took the plant from Villager's hand and placed it by the rest of the pile of weapons, mistaking it for something he was to use in the tournament. Before Villager could even react or protest, Toon Link placed the seal onto the top of the pile and tapped the intricate patterns once.

 

All of a sudden, the entire lot of things glowed a pale blue, including his pot, and faded out of existence, leaving nothing but a little magic residue.

 

There was a cold feeling where Villager had felt surprise.

 

"Neat, huh? I got it before the tournament started in order to move our training or fighting equipment somewhere easier to access when our rounds came up. I just so happen to keep mine in my pockets all the time, but it's a little bit wri-"

 

Shocked and confused, Villager barely registered his words and whirled onto Toon Link, frantically signing words despite the boy not knowing a lick of what he was saying. Villager's mouth opened and closed, but no words came out. Only raspy sounding noises of complaint and confusion.

 

There was anger in his eyes, anger he tried to reign in after seeing how surprised and a little bit scared Toon Link looked.

 

The green clad boy took a couple of steps back and laughed nervously, putting his hands up to show no aggression. After knowing for sure Villager wouldn't pounce, he spoke.

 

"Whoa, whoa, take it easy! Your stuff is okay. The seal only transported the items exactly as they were placed to the area I wanted it to go, which was the training room I'm assuming Ness went to." 

 

Breathing heavily, Villager apologized, averting his gaze in his shame for acting out so suddenly. Toon Link accepted the apology with strides, thankfully, but it didn't stop the gnawing hole of guilt and worry building in Villager's chest.

 

He walked with Toon Link to his door, barely paying any attention to the world around him. He had almost bumped into the Hylian, Villager's eyes darting up suddenly when the little Hylian stopped in front of him.

 

"Will you be okay?"

 

Turning around, Villager looked at Toon Link. The blond's eyes stared into Villager's own, expression genuine and a bit nervous. His eyebrows were creased slightly to make a look of concern, hands behind his back in a non threatening way.

 

Strangely, it felt like this version of Toon Link felt so much different from the Toon Link he had talked to at the lunch table.

 

There was a pause in the air, a feeling of tension. No words or notes were shared between the two for a short while.

 

'-I'll be okay. Thank you.'

 

What could have been a look of disappointment or relief flashed across Toon Link's face, but it was gone so quickly Villager thought he had imagined it.

 

"Alright. Ness will tell you all there is to know at the training room. Your weapons being moved is usually a one time thing, so you probably don't need the seal again anytime soon."

 

He raised a hand, lips quirking into a lopsided smile. "See you later!"

 

'-And you.'

 

Turning around, Villager proceeded to walk down the hallway, chest still tight. He shoved his hands in his pockets and adamantly looked ahead, taking the stairs down.

 

Had he looked back, he would have seen a pair of eyes filled with confusion and another emotion he couldn't identify, trailing his form down the steps until he disappeared entirely.

 

//

 

"Villager! You're here!"

 

Ness waved his arm high, despite the distance between him and Villager not being all that big. Villager gave a small laugh at the motion, for it was quite similar to how Ness had greeted Lucas earlier that day.

 

Villager returned the gesture, looking around the room for his things. He spotted them by the side in the exact same position as it was before, as Toon Link had promised. Analyzing the pile, he scanned the base for a certain item.

 

"Oh, your stuff arrived here a little while ago. I didn't touch anything, but I just wanted to let you know that after our mini match, I can help you put your things somewhere safer so it's easier to access once rounds start." Ness had approached Villager from his left, leaning over to talk to the boy more clearly.

 

'-Thank you, I'd appreciate that.' Villager wrote, not facing Ness when he showed him the note.

 

"Cool! Well, whenever you're ready! It's really just a quick three stock round, so pick any weapon of any shape or size and come to where I am."

 

Villager walked over to the pile of weapons and tools, careful to not jostle anything in case it would all come crashing down. He looked around the base searchingly until he finally spotted a lone, thankfully upright potted plant, sitting on the ground with a slightly bent stem. Feeling a shred of worry lodged in his throat, he ran over and lifted it up, peering around it, mouth dry. 

 

There was nothing but a small scratch, so insignificant and minor that Villager felt foolish for even feeling such dread at the prospect of the damage being greater. He took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly.

 

Setting the plant on the ground, he began to look for his weapon of choice. The particular one he wanted was somewhere around the base of the pile, perhaps stuck between two other items but hopefully not so stuck it would be impossible to take it out.

 

After a few seconds of shifting around and pushing aside lighter tools and trinkets, Villager spotted it. He reached out and grabbed the handle of his sturdy axe and attempted to yank it out, stopping only when the pile threatened to fall. Sweat dripping down the side of his face, he tried again only for the same result.

 

"Do you need any help?" Ness called from his position. All he had was a yoyo, his hand resting on his hip. His expression wasn't cruel nor impatient, which Villager was grateful for. He wasn't sure how he would have responded if Ness wasn't feeling more on the positive side. 

 

Villager nodded, and the raven haired boy responded by running up and jumping towards him, soaring in the air in a long arc, his shoes landing on the floor with a soft thump. Jogging the last few feet to him, Ness looked at what Villager was trying to pull and gave it a small yank, noting the wobble of the stack. 

 

Deciding to work together, despite the danger the wobbly stack showed, Villager approached his tool. Grabbing the hilt with both hands, Ness assisting from Villager's other side, the two boys pulled as hard as they could, heels digging into the soles of their shoes. A tool Villager didn't catch fell off the top of the pile, and he hoped it wasn't anything too dangerous. He bit his lower lip, hoping that nothing else would fall.

 

Thankfully, against all odds, the axe came out before the pile tumbled into itself. Villager grasped the sturdy oak wood handle and tossed it gently between his hands. Ness was watching nearby, retreating a little back to wait for Villager. 

 

After making sure all his items were secure for now and assuring himself nothing else will go wrong, Villager made his way to join Ness. 

 

He spotted and attempted to step around his plant that was still sitting on the floor.

 

He lost his balance. 

 

Wide eyed and confused, his shoulders hunched into himself as he crashed into the ground, the sound of not only a body but also fragile clay breaking ringing across the room. He squeezed his eyes shut instinctively, the axe he had held in his hand clattering away and coming to a rest by Ness's feet.

 

Despite the fall, Villager couldn't keep still for long. The moment his body recovered from the fall he jolted upright and whirled around, looking desperately for his hypherilull plant. He certainly found it, but not in the most optimal condition.

 

Villager stared, dumbfounded, at what remained of the gift Tom Nook had given him, the dirt splayed out on the ground in an unattractive splatter. The pot itself was shattered and had various spiderweb-like cracks, the mere scratch from before being obliterated into bits. The seed itself, however, was what had devastated Villager the most.

 

An uneven, ugly cut drove itself into the plant's leaf, the poor thing barely hanging onto each other. Typically, seeds would be able to grow even after a nasty split, but whatever Villager was looking at now was not merely split. It looked broken beyond repair.

 

Not only squished to the point it looked like pulp, the leaves themselves were ripped apart from the stem. The stem itself had also sustained damage, being bent and a little bit broken in what appeared to be three different places. The hypherilull seed's interior was spread wide open, its protective outer parts and more delicate inner parts flattened and pathetic.

 

He felt tears building on, and he knew it was a stupid reason to cry. 

 

Villager, the boy who mourned over a plant. The precious gift that Tom had given him, now a broken shell. Barely even a shell, at that. He thought the scare with Toon Link was bad, but the actual devastation felt so much worse. He felt a feeling of guilt and resignation crawl up his spine.

 

He would apologize. To Tom Nook, to Ness, to Toon Link, to everyone. He'd say sorry, he'd go as far as beg for forgiveness, cry himself hoarse. He'd tell himself that he would never make a mistake again, pick up the pieces and glue them together, despite not knowing that each shard was disintegrating behind him. 

 

But he would do it again, wouldn't he? He was just clumsy, weak, pathetic, quiet Villager. 

 

A nobody, a kid, an idiot.

 

Despite Villager's overdramatic acceptance of his fate, he took notice of a shard rattling suddenly on the ground in the corner of his eye. He watched, eyes glazed over in shock, as the broken pot somehow seemed to be… stitching itself together, the seed that had just been crushed to bits closing up, the leaf resealing its rip. A faint white-ish blue aura pulled each piece together, shard by shard, plant fiber by fiber, and before he knew it, his hypherilull plant had been returned to its former appearance.

 

Magical residue sat heavily on the plant's leaves.

 

"Oh! Oh God, are you okay?!" Ness cried out, the raven haired boy running up to Villager's side and helping him stand up. Ness's comforting and questioning words went over Villager's head as the boy was yet again rendered speechless.

 

Honestly, at this rate he would have to start speaking in order to express his shock.

 

Hands that weren't controlled by him moved into his back pocket. He clicked his ballpoint pen and wrote slowly, barely looking at the paper pad and continued to stare at his repaired plant.

 

'-How did that happen.'

 

Ness crouched by the plant, looking over the top, before standing back up. "This room, by default, has Master Hand's magic stowed inside. It renders it so that all objects that had been broken in here repair themselves. That's how sword fighters don't break their swords or how clothing can't really be ripped that much. This room also allows fighters to not get hurt severely, plus it transports and 'loads in' worlds when we're ready to fight."

 

The psychic lifted up Villager's axe and passed it over to the boy. Villager, responding out of instinct, took the handle and finally looked away from his plant and stared blankly at Ness's face.

 

"Master Hand should have talked about this room, but I guess it just went over what happens in the room rather than where it is. Oh well. That's what I'm here for!" Ness smiled at Villager. "I'll wait over there. Put your pot somewhere safe, maybe somewhere noticeable by the pile of stuff."

 

Villager, heeding his words, gingerly picked up the pot and carefully, carefully placed it by the base of the stack, eyes glued onto it even as he backed away. 

 

The hypherilull seedling danced innocently under his scrutinizing gaze.

 

Satisfied, (for now,) that it wouldn't go off and break itself, Villager hopped over to where Ness was, stepping gingerly into the circle and stumbling in his step when the ring glowed blue. He watched, astonished, as his surroundings began to change from a regular, empty room to a wide, flat stage. Little floating platforms hovered above his head, and as he looked further he could barely believe his eyes.

 

A beautiful, lush waterfall cascaded beneath his feet as separate islands hovered by the side. A half crumbling, half standing Coliseum stood ominously in the back, beautiful flowers stemming through the broken cracks. Grass that glittered like gems brushed against his ankles comfortably, and he loosened his grip on his axe as he felt the cool breeze brush by his face.

 

"Pretty cool, isn't it?" Ness asked. "This is the Battlefield! Luckily, it isn't necessarily real, for if you fell off this platform you'd surely die." The boy laughed darkly, which Villager didn't quite know how to react to. "But you don't! Let's have a quick round, it's better to experience fighting on one of these stages for yourself than to learn verbally."

 

Before Villager could even blink, Ness was already in front of him, yoyo swinging upwards dangerously, grazing his chin. In his surprise, he failed to dodge in time and the toy crashed into his head, knocking him backwards. Expecting pain, he flinched and shut his eyes tightly, but he only felt a little tap. 

 

He didn't feel much of anything.

 

With the realization he didn't need to worry about fatal hits, Villager clumsily blocked Ness's next swing with the blunt side of his axe and countered by pushing the flat side of the blade into Ness. The raven haired boy let out a grunt, not expecting such resistance so soon, but smiled from the exhilaration.

 

"Looks like you're ready to fight! Try not to fall!"

 

Villager rushed at Ness with his axe, eyes ablaze with energy and excitement. Expecting Ness's dodge, he attempted a wide swing, smiling in satisfaction when it hit. He watched the meter over Ness's head go up.

 

But unfortunately for him  Ness had other plans than to be hit by Villager's swings. The boy leaped above him and landed deftly onto a platform, gripping his yoyo tight and flicking it easily at Villager, tangling itself onto the brunet's arm and dragging him upwards.

 

Surprised, he momentarily dropped his weapon and watched in unmasked horror as Ness grabbed his collar and punched him in the gut, his own meter steadily growing higher. Realizing he could fight back, Villager vainly attempted a weak struggle, but it was too late.

 

He was flung out of the stage and into the void.

 

Watching the stage grow more and more distant, he squeezed his eyes shut and expected the worst. A loud crashing noise was heard, but he didn't find himself hitting any hard ground. 

 

Rather, he was standing on another separate hovering circle, a thin layer of blue light surrounding him. He looked down to meet the gaze of Ness, who was playing with his yoyo tauntingly.

 

His meter was down to zero once again. 

 

He leaped at Ness, utilizing the double jump explained by Master Hand and swung his axe around, managing a strike. Ness stumbled back and dropped his yoyo, which Villager used to push him to the edge of the stage. Now Ness teetered dangerously, and Villager felt triumph at feeling the victory of taking a stock for the first time.

 

But that feeling was lost when Ness had somehow taken his yoyo back without moving from his spot, flinging it around in an arc and pushing Villager back from the corner he had originally forced Ness into. Now the raven haired boy laughed, flipping the toy back into his palm and bouncing on his heels to the ready.

 

"Items return to the user no matter what, remember?"

 

Villager sighed, realizing his mistake, before pulling himself back together.

 

In the end, the two boys sparred for a grand total of three minutes and a half, Villager swinging and sometimes hitting his target while Ness used his yoyo to catch Villager by surprise and make him lose his stocks instead.

 

While Villager failed to steal a single stock from the bright eyed yoyo master, to him it was all worth it. The lurch in his stomach when he narrowly avoids a hit, the blood pumping in his ears, every swing and strike that he managed to make catching Ness off guard- it satisfied him to no end.

 

It didn't matter that he lost. He just wanted to feel that rush again.

 

And if it meant taking on the strongest champions of the multiverse?

 

So be it.

Notes:

Hope you liked the chapter ;;! This was like a little taste of the combat I kind of wanted to work with, so I'll do my best to make it as entertaining as possible.

This chapter also addressed and tied up some questions I asked myself about this AU and I hope it isn't too confusing! I just wanted to make this world seem more… intricate?? Not sure, haha.

Anyways, to next time! Hope to see you again!