Actions

Work Header

I Found You

Chapter 12: Tara

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

That evening, they had a feast in honour of Tenzin’s return and the birthday that they’d missed because he was with Aang. Katara sat next to Zuko as course after course arrived. She giggled at every single one of his jokes and went on about the new health camps that she was launching with the help of the Ministers for Health and Social Welfare when the next batch of healers arrived. Zuko listened to her, smiling and offering advice where needed. At one point, he got some soup on his chin and she reached out and wiped it off herself. Everyone else just sat shell shocked. After the painfully awkward dinners of the last few days, this was a welcome change. Tenzin, who’d never known any different, babbled on about what he’d learned and gradually they eased. Iroh spent most of dinner in silence, choosing to only watch speculatively. He offered to take everyone shopping and they decided on going by the end of the week, Katara with them.

They had tea again that night after ages. Katara walked in the antechamber, fully expecting General Iroh to be there as well, but it was just Zuko, brewing a pot for two. “No Uncle today?” she asked. 

“No. In his words, he’s ‘old and needs his sleep’,” Zuko shrugged.

“Oh, well. That’s old people for you,” Katara answered, feeling her chest swell irrationally with another bubble of happiness. But once he was seated, she told him, feeling a little stab of guilt, “I’ll be honest, a part of the reason I was so mad was because I thought you were ignoring me again.” Zuko froze. “Why would I do that?”

“It was stupid, nevermind,” she said, waving him away. “You’d not seen your uncle in so long and probably just wanted to spend time with him. And I know you can get a little busy, but I thought you were pulling away…” she said, playing with her hair again. “I missed you in the week after Aang left and we didn’t get to spend much time together. I, um, waited for you in my room as well, after tea,” she said, self-consciously. “I just, I mean I just mean to say…” Spirits, what had gotten in her, was Zuko’s nervous bumbling contagious? “I want to apologise for shutting you out. It was petty and I hated it and I just don’t want to do that again.”

“Well I did it first, when you came here, so I probably deserved that,” Zuko said, contemplatively. “I need to apologise as well. I was a complete ass to you. You needed support and friendship and I… Agni, I’m embarrassed to even think of my actions. I was so rude!” he said, looking pained. “I promise from the bottom of my burnt out shell of a heart that I will never shut you out again. That we’ll always meet, just the two of us, at least once a day and talk.”

“‘Burnt out shell of a heart?’” Katara chuckled. “Remind me to catch a play with you one of these days. And I promise as well. No more avoiding each other. We solve our problems like adults.” She then steered the conversation into safer waters, discussing her job and when she’d formally start it. Turned out, there were a number of things to be done before that, including a formal introduction to the Council. Sokka would have to handle things in the South on her behalf, she decided. They discussed politics and council members well into the night. It was slightly awkward with him still, but she believed that they’d be alright.

Just before she left though, she heard Zuko ask, very casually as he put away the tea things, “How was your, uhh, date? You didn’t say.” Memories of that night resurfaced, where in spite of being with one of the most sought after men in the city, she could think of only one person. And that person had not been her date. She blushed a little, saying, “It was fine,” and quickly made her exit. What more could she say? That for more than one occasion that night, she’d imagined him there with her? Yeah, right. She could see how that would go- with him trying to be kind to her or maybe pitying her or maybe he’d be outright disgusted. In any case, she’d just end up breaking this tentative peace they’d built. Behind her, she could hear a grunt of frustration. 

After that, they’d meet throughout the week, often more than once a day, now that she had shifted to doing more administrative work than hospital work. Though she still loved healing, she’d trained enough of her women and understood that her talents and knowledge were better suited to helping others in her new role. She’d written to Sokka and sent the letter immediately with the fastest messenger hawk they had. She’d received his reply within days: 

Of course you should take up the position, Katara! It was made for you! I was going to suggest it myself. Will you please remind Fire Lord Grumpy that appointing Ambassadors from my nation is my purview and he can only agree to it? Or disagree if he has solid proof. What will he do next? Ask Suki? I need her here! But also, I’m glad it’s you I’ll have to correspond with now instead of that idot Tulimak. Let me know if you want any advice from your older and more experienced brother.

Missing you terribly, but not enough to call you back home,

The superior sibling.

PS: Remind Bumi that I’m his favourite, not that jerkbender.

PPS: Make Bumi read his letter out at your dinner table.

PPPS: Suki and Yue send their love.

Uncle Iroh came up to her towards the end of the week to tell her, “My dear, you look simply radiant. What a marked change since a few days ago I wonder what caused it?”

“We just cleared up some misunderstandings, Uncle,” she responded.

“Ah yes, misunderstandings. A single moment of misunderstanding is so poisonous that it makes us forget the hundred sweet moments spent together in a minute. Though was it something more than that, I wonder? My nephew won’t tell me anything.”

“I don’t know what you mean, Uncle.  We do miss you at tea though. Why did you stop coming?” she asked.

“Do you now?” he asked her, one eyebrow quirked. “These old bones are not what they used to be and I would rather a warm bed,” he said, sighing. “And besides, tea tastes best with just the right ingredients, nothing more and nothing less. You young people carry on. I don’t think you need me intruding.”

“Uncle, I’m sure you’d give me a run for my money in a bending battle right now, if you wanted to,” Katara remarked, and Uncle’s eyes twinkled. “And don’t worry about intruding. You haven’t met Zuko in more than a year, have you? The two of us, we’ll talk some other time.”

“Hmm, is that so?” he asked, rubbing his chin. “Maybe I’ll take you up on that offer one of these days then. You’re a lovely woman and I’m very glad that my nephew has found you again,” he said, giving her a very disturbing wink.

“Uncle, it’s not like that between the two of us!!” she nearly yelped out, now blushing furiously. “We’re just… we’re just good friends.” 

“If you say so…” he sang and walked away, leaving Katara extremely confused. 

That evening she told Zuko, “I feel like I’m making you choose between me and Uncle. I invited him today and he said he feels like he’s intruding. I can’t help but feel guilty.”

“You’re not!!” Zuko exclaimed immediately. “Making me choose  that is. I have my morning tea with him. He comes for my bending practice, he attends my meetings and wins over my ministers. He attends evening sessions and I have to watch the respect leave the kids’ eyes as he goes on with one awful childhood story after another, I am okay without him one-upping me with you here. How is it that my old uncle has more charm than me…” he fumed. Katara snorted and they went on with their evening.

Even now that she was accepting the title of Ambassador, she would still continue her earlier projects in some capacity. Just that day, she’d had to yell at the completely inept Mayor of one of the farther-away islands. The fishing rights issue, according to her, would not be an issue at all if people would just stop being so blockheaded. 

“I  think the poor man is more scared of you than he is of me,” Zuko mused. 

“Oh, shut up.”

Towards the end of the evening, as she was leaving, Zuko asked her in the most careless tone of voice she’d heard from him, “So, you’re not dating anyone?” 

It took her a full minute to figure out what he was talking about. He looked very casual, looking out the window, but he was also biting his lip. He only did that when he was stressed about something. That was odd. 

“I did go out for a while with that one man recently...” she replied and saw him clench his fists. She had no idea why he was getting aggravated. 

“Who?” he asked, sounding a little curt.

 “Meh, no one you’d know,” she answered, heading out. He’d just reminded her of her last conversation with Fumio. That man had looked at her with such pity when she’d stated that she didn’t think she could see someone else as yet. It made her blood boil. 

The next evening, she detected an undercurrent of tension in Zuko’s interactions with her. “What is it, Zuko? Spit it out.”

“Nothing, it’s nothing,” he said, before changing the subject. She narrowed her eyes, but didn’t nag him. That would come later. Towards the end of the night though, just as she was walking out, he asked her again, “Are you still seeing them?”

Oh, so that’s what’s got him all worked up. This was too good an opportunity to pass up, she decided. Turning around, she strolled back toward him slowly. He was leaning against the wall and scrutinising his nails. The very picture of nonchalance.

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” she said, eyes glittering.

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Are you meeting them again?” he asked, still cool.

“Maybe. What’s it to you?” she asked, walking even closer.

“Nothing,” he said, tightly. “As your friend, I am interested in your life. That’s all.”

Something seemed to come over her in that moment. Stalking closer, she tapped his chest with a finger. “Well, I think you’re jealous.”

Zuko sputtered, “Jea- jealous? Me?” he scoffed. Then scoffed once more for good measure. Katara smirked, she’d begun this to tease him a bit, but he was falling for it, hook, line and sinker. It pleased her. “I’ll have you know that the date was lovely,” she sighed exaggeratedly, as she looked into the distance wistfully. “He was kind and handsome and intelligent…” she could see Zuko stiffen, something flashing in his eyes, before he schooled his expression again. She continued, “… and really boring. I had a good time, but we won’t be meeting again.”

“Oh no, that’s too bad.” Zuko said, not sounding upset at all. Katara shrugged before closing the distance between them with a quick peck to his unscarred cheek. She heard a sharp intake of breath. “It is what it is. Goodnight, Firelord. You have nothing to be jealous of.”

He startled, blushed, and then seethed for a while in quick succession. This had been way too much fun, Katara decided. She winked and turned around, walking towards the door, when his voice reached her. “After that whole thing with Kuwa, I suppose you would understand jealousy more than most.” 

He wouldn’t dare.

She turned back again, fire blazing in her eyes, fists clenched. He was smirking easily, as he passed out of the door at the rear end of the room, connecting to his bedroom. “Goodnight, Katara.”

The next day, they went shopping. She and the kids went with Iroh, who was under strict instructions to keep them in control and NOT spoil them rotten. Instructions he steadfastly ignored even with Katara’s moderating presence.

“Lady Kya, you will look lovely in this one, come I’ll show you. It’s in violet too…” Kya, thoroughly enjoying being called a Lady, gave her mother snow puppy eyes. Katara laughed. “Oh, go ahead,” she said and Kya grinned and followed Uncle, pulling Izumi with her. At one point, they came across an all-you-can-eat pig-chicken stall and that was it for Bumi. None of the rest had any interest in observing the incoming spectacle and left him there for a while. Tenzin maintained the no attachments, no personal belongings rule for quite a long time, and Katara was proud. But then he was shown a sky-bison stuffed toy and started audibly reasoning with himself. Ruffling his hair, Katara bought it for him. “I’ve already bought it for you, see? I’m making you take it,” she explained. Uncle found it all amusing and went ahead and bought him another large golden koi toy as well. A little later, they came across a library and Izumi spent an hour there, Katara keeping her company. 

After that, they all wandered a bit more and Uncle took them to his favourite Mochi seller by the docks. He really did know the best places to go to, even though he rarely visited anymore. “Your children are delightful, Lady Katara,” Iroh told her. “You must be so proud.”

“I am very, very proud,” she said, and all three of them beamed. “And I’m proud of you too,” she said in an aside to Izumi later. “If you’re done with the scarf, do you want to move on to something else?” The girl nodded happily.

When they got back, it was just before dinner, and Zuko was waiting at the entrance to their quarters. “Uncle Zuko!! Do you wanna see the cool sword Gramp- Gramp got me today?” Bumi asked, nearly jumping at him.

“Uncle Zuko, tell me how my dress looks! It’s new!!” Kya said, twirling. 

“Kids…” Katara sighed, but Zuko laughed and took his time appreciating everything they’d bought. “That’s all you ate?!!” he asked Bumi. “I can eat twice that!” Bumi’s mouth dropped open, hero worship shining in his eyes as Tenzin pulled Zuko’s clothes from behind. “Say hi to Fluffy and Goldy, Uncle Zuko.” 

The older kids muffled their laughter, but Zuko duly acknowledged both new members of the team.

“Uncle Sokka’s sent letters, everyone! Let’s go, let’s go,” Katara said finally, ushering them all inside. “Katara,” Zuko said, catching hold of her forearm before letting go immediately. She giggled, “It’s fine, Zuko. I’m not angry anymore. What is it?”

“There’s something I need to show you,” he said, holding out his arm tentatively. “If you will…?” She smiled and took it.

 “What is it?” she asked and he pulled her along. They presently came along to the office quarters. Going in, he opened a door that she’d just walked past in all the times she’d come here. He quickly lit the lamps and Katara gasped.

Inside was a room with wooden and blue furnishings. Furs were carefully placed on the floor and in the centre was a table stocked with writing utensils and scrolls and a Firelilly in a vase. The ceiling had the motif of the Southern Water Tribe arranged in blue mosaic tiles.  Floor to ceiling windows opened to a view of the sea in the distance. A breeze blew in from the West and she just knew that she’d be able to see the most magnificent sunsets.

 Katara was struck completely speechless. Covering her hands with her mouth, she kept looking around, blinking very quickly as though to dispel the dream. “Do you like it?” came an anxious voice from beside her and she looked up at him with wide eyes. 

“Do I like it? I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT SO MUCH, IT’S THE BEST GIFT I’VE EVER RECEIVED!!” she squealed, hugging him tightly.  Slipping off her footwear, she ran through the room, feeling the fur under her feet. She ran her hands over the table and the walls, peering out through the window, and then walked back and twirled once, laughing out loud like a maniac. With a shit-eating grin on her face, she looked back at Zuko who was smiling tentatively. “It’s your new office, if you haven’t guessed. Your friends from the North helped get some of this stuff, and you mentioned that you missed home that day...” he said, rubbing the back of his head.

“Oh, this is so thoughtful, ” she said, grasping his hands and pulling him forward to the centre of the room. She was still soaking it all in, this little bit of paradise that he’d gifted her, before her gaze settled back on him, falling on their entwined hands for a minute. His were warm and calloused with sword fighting injuries- new and old. They nearly engulfed her own, smaller ones, rough with the hardship expected in the Tribes. She revelled in the feel, as he squeezed once and she squeezed back. Katara couldn’t help but think back to the time they’d first interacted, when he’d dangled her mother’s necklace in front of her, and now.  “Why’re you so good to me?” she asked him, looking up, straight in his eyes. 

“Because you’re the best person I know,” he replied simply.

“Don’t say that… I’ve been awful to you,” she said, the guilt sweeping through her. 

“As have I. It’s water under the bridge. All of it,” he said firmly and she smiled. 

“Thank you, Zuko,” she said gently, weight behind her words. She wasn’t just thanking him for the lovely gift. And perhaps he knew that, as he said, “You have nothing to thank me for.”

Then, he tugged at her hands and she reluctantly let go. As soon as he got them free, Zuko walked over to the table and picked up a scroll. Offering it to Katara, he said, “You are now formally the Southern Water Tribe Ambassador. Sokka sent me this today. Everything is in place.” 

She took the document and unscrolled it to see two sets of signatures. She hastily penned hers and dried it before giving it back. 

 When they finally arrived at dinner, conversation was already in full flow and Bumi called out to Zuko as soon as they entered, “Uncle Zuko, Uncle Zuko! I read Uncle Sokka’s latest letter. It was very confusing, but he said that I should ask you to help me out!”

Immediately, she could see Zuko get his guard up. “What is it?”

"Uncle Sokka says I’m a man now and wants you to tell me about the facts of life! Something about a man's oar entering the woman's igloo? And... Penguin sledding? I mean no offence, Uncle Zuko but I think I know more about that than you do." 

Zuko choked on his food and Uncle Iroh spewed out water from his nose as he laughed. Katara was grinning behind her hand as well. She'd be sure to overhear this conversation one way or another. Bumi continued, even more confused than before, “And there was something about wooden mornings… No morning wood…”

 “Uhh, sure thing Bumi.” Zuko cut him off, sounding a bit queasy. “Maybe some other time. It’s for men only.” Then, almost to himself, he muttered, “And I’d thought I’d avoided this by having a daughter. Sokka, you...” Katara cleared her throat and Zuko clamped his mouth shut.

"I wanna know the facts of life too!!" Izumi interjected, disgruntled with all the secrecy.

"Don't worry my wildfire, Auntie Katara will tell you all about that, won't she?" Zuko smirked. His daughter turned pleading eyes towards her, and she had to respond with, "O-of course. You and Kya both. When you're a little older, maybe." Then, changing the topic before any more unnecessary questions reached them, she said, “I have been appointed the Ambassador of the Southern Water Tribe to the Fire Nation.”

Immediately, a chorus of “Whoa” and “Congratulations” went up. “Very well deserved,” was Uncle Iroh’s comment.

"So does that mean we're staying?" Kya asked hopefully, always quick to see the point.

 "For a couple of months at least." 

At these words, a chorus of whoops echoed across the hall and Katara had to suppress a smile. "Apart from that, there's also a  few things I need to help Uncle Zuko with, if you all don't mind? If anyone is feeling homesick, I can see you home. We can arrange something,” Katara said, worriedly. She’d rather stay with her babies, but it would be wrong to keep them somewhere they didn’t want to be.  

"Nope, I love it here," Kya said, immediately.

"I'm learning sword bending!" Bumi nearly screamed.

"I don't want to say bye to my friends!" Tenzin interjected.

"Yaay!! There's still so much I want to show you all! Oh, and the monsoons are coming. You can't leave before those!" came Izumi’s voice over them all.

“OOH, I CAN’T WAIT-”

Through the chaos, Katara noticed that their host, with his chin supported by his hand, had eyes only for her. She met his gaze across the table and the air changed, charged with something electric, palpable only to her. If she stuck her tongue out maybe she'd taste it. Maybe Zuko could feel it too- eyes sparkling and a light smile playing on his lips, neither of them willing to look away. And there it was again- the curious fluttering in her tummy that she thought she'd crushed years ago. 

Oh.

The cacophony of arguments and shouting seemed to incredibly seep into the background and it was just him and her. He was looking at her in that way of his- that inscrutable expression on his face, and it was then that she realised it. Perhaps she’d always known, perhaps it had been denial. Perhaps it was the beginning, but far more likely was that she was in the middle with no idea how she got there. 

She had a crush. 

On Zuko.

The hopelessness of the whole situation could almost have made her laugh. She had children for Tui’s sake. She couldn’t risk their happiness, what with all the recent emotional upheavals. Then again, they were both political figures, there would be ramifications on ramifications if they even thought of going through with it. And that is, if he did like her. He probably wasn’t even looking for love. Ty Lee’s words wandered back in her mind. He had his daughter to think of and wouldn’t even consider dating anyone. But still, the flutterflies wouldn’t leave. Oh, this is not going to end well.

At that moment, Bumi called for Zuko's attention and she looked away, tucking strands of hair behind both ears and looking downwards, before realising what she’d done. She really did have it bad. 

That night they swapped the tea for wine.

“To Ambassador Katara!” Zuko toasted.

“To a new partnership!” she toasted back.

The wine warmed her throat and her belly and the flutterflies residing there. She found that they seemed to beat faster when she impersonated Panuk and coaxed a chuckle out of him. They beat faster when she caught him looking at her through the corner of her eyes. And there was chaos when their hands brushed and he handed her a refilled glass.

She lost count of the number of glasses, as her world reduced to a cozy little room with her crush friend for company. They talked about the usual things. He went on about how little he was looking forward to the conversation with Bumi and then she talked about their shopping expedition before feeling the need to clear something up from the previous night. Everything was warm and slightly fuzzy and she was in a sharing mood.

“I was NOT jealous. I was NOT. How, how, how DARE you insti- insit- insinuate such a horrible thing,” she vehemently pointed out, because she wasn’t. She wasn’t, she wasn’t, wait was she?

“I was just teasi-” 

“I mean, I was disappointed you know?” She asked Zuko, who was looking quite amused. “You are this amaaaazing father, seriously you’re so good at it. How’re you so good at it? You’re all kind and understanding and still strict and sweet and patient and loving-”

“Thank you. I-”

“Shhh, don’t interrupt. Like I was saying, you’re such an amazing father, but that day I thought you were dating that ridiculous woman! And I was like, ‘But what about Izumi?’ She needs a good mother, someone who is good, you know what I’m saying?”

“Uh Uh,” he said nodding away.

“So that’s why I was upset! And she even left a mark on you, what would people say!” Katara had been most disturbed by it, he should be grateful that it was gone.

“Actually most people know-”

“So my anger was justified.” She said, nodding to herself. “And I thought you hadn’t told me about your girlfriend! Aren’t we past that? Am I not your best friend, Zuko? Tell me Zuko, tell me!”

“You most definitely are.”

“Good. Because you are mine as well. And you’ll tell me if you start having feelings for anyone?” She didn’t know why it was so imperative to have an answer.

“I promise that I will.” And she nodded at him sincerely, satisfied with this response. “More wine, please!” His fingers brushed hers while he was handing it over and the flutterflies returned in a swarm. She downed the glass in one go in a hope to drown them. It did not work. 

“Wine is so nice. I really think it understands me,” she said. “Water is my favourite, you know, because I’m a WATERbender,” she giggled. Zuko did too, and she was encouraged to continue. “And five flavour soup reminds me of home and I love it too, but sometimes it burns, but wine- wine is just so good to me.” 

“I agree,” Zuko said, “but maybe you should give water a chance now. You’ve been partial to wine for too long.” 

“Hmm, not a bad idea, Firelord.” Perhaps that would drown the flutterflies once and for all. Still she couldn’t risk neglecting the wine, so she picked it up as well.

“Which flutterflies do you want to drown?” he asked her, but she’d already gotten up. Or she would have, had the Earth not betrayed her and gotten her to stumble.

 “Bad Earth!” she admonished as Zuko rushed to steady her with his hand on her waist. This just caused the flutterflies to beat faster. His touch warmed her wonderfully and she wanted to get closer to him. And so she did, because he was her friend and friends held each other.

“Light weight," he said, a smile in his voice.

" 'M not," she affirmed. The nerve! Accusing her of being a lightweight!

"Well, since we've had about the same and I'm better off, you are the lightweight," he told her.

She'd said that last part out loud? 

"Yes, you did" he informed her now, struggling to contain his laughter. She loved hearing him laugh, not a chuckle, not a snort - a laugh. It was like music to her ears, she never wanted it to end and she grinned happily, proud of herself for accomplishing this feat. When he managed to rein himself in, she said if a little dopey, "No, no. Don't stop. You sound so happy!" 

"Okay, that's enough. You're cut off Katara." He said, trying to pry the bottle from her hand. 

"Tara," she corrected him.

"I'm sorry -?"

"Call me Tara. I'm Tara to you, always have been," she explained. 

"Katara -" He looked a bit worried.

"Nooo, why aren’t you getting it?” she cried out, placing a finger on his lips. They were really soft and full and nice. Why was he blushing? Had she said that last part out loud too? 

"Ta- ra. Say it. Say it," she nagged. 

"Will you stop drinking then?" He asked from behind her finger. 

It was an interesting proposal. She rubbed her chin with her other hand. "Okay!" She answered brightly. He sighed, the breath puffing against her skin and gave her a lazy smile. She was yet to remove her finger and he grasped her wrist, pulling it away. She could feel her heart skip a whole beat.

"Tara,” he finally said out loud. Oh Spirits, that felt wonderful to hear.

"Again."

"Tara,” he said, softer. 

She could feel him rubbing his thumb on the back of her hand. “Again. Please,” she said softly, matching her voice to his.

“Tara.” This time he’d whispered, but she’d heard him. They were standing so close now, she could spot the beginnings of stubble. "Never stop. Promise you won't," she whispered back, suddenly serious, beseeching. 

"Never." He promised, eyes soft, looking intensely into hers. There was a saying about a dragon's gold eyes at the back of her mind. Something about hypnotism. And Katara was certainly hypnotised. There was no way she could look away. She turned her hand such that his fingers grazed her wrists and the electricity from before returned. It shot up her arms and coursed through her veins. When she recovered enough to focus again, she noticed Zuko staring slightly south of her eyes, chest heaving. She licked her lips, leaning slightly towards him, and watched him do the same.

The bottle slipped out of her hands and crashed, breaking her out of her stupor.

She looked away with an, "Oh!" The bottle was broken, with glass and wine on the floor. She tried to salvage what was left of it and then tried to pick up the broken bits when a large hand stilled hers. "No, don't! You'll cut yourself." 

"Then I'll heal myself," she explained. 

"You're drunk Tara, maybe tomorrow okay? I'll escort you back to your rooms,” he said, pushing her away. 

“I’m not!!” she cried out, but he steadfastly ignored her.

She made it to the door before reeling. “Ugh, the stupid Earth is at it again,” she explained. “Bad Earth! Bad!” 

He slid an arm behind her for support, “Then we must be extra careful.."

She barely noticed him nod at his security before marching her down the corridors. Her feet dragged and it was slow going. And she was very upset that Zuko was keeping a respectable distance between them now. Boo. But then the Earth actually helped for once. The next time he stopped to steady them both, it attacked again and she pitched forward.

"Okay, that's it," she heard him say. Suddenly, the world tilted, she was horizontal and moving at a much faster pace than before. She could see the red columns whoosh past. There was a warm chest next to her and she rested her head on it, placing both hands around his neck. This was what she’d been thinking about. It was so nice here. Warm, and comfortable, and, oh- muscles...

“Tara-” came a strangled voice.

“Shhh.” The rocking motion was making her sleepy. And that was perhaps why she said what she said next, eyes still closed. "You smell so good. I could stay like this all day.”

He stilled and looked down at her. She could not believe she’d actually said that out loud, he was probably going to think she was some sort of creep now. Katara burrowed her face in his clothing, not daring to look him in the eye. There was a pause then, that to her felt like years. 

Finally she heard him say, “You do too. Like the Jasmine-lotus in bloom. Like afternoons by the pond and late evenings by the fountain. I can’t get enough of you.”

At this, she squeezed her eyes open for a minute to see him looking at her with such… tenderness. There was an intensity of emotion behind his eyes which she couldn’t understand. It confused her. It pleased her. Then she closed them back, a smile on her face, and cuddled further into him. He tightened his hold and she fell asleep before they even reached her room.

The last memory she had of that night was of hands tucking her in and ghost lips brushing across her forehead. Which was odd, because ghost lips should have been cold, but these were warm. And left tingles in their wake. 



Notes:

A/N: I wrote that last bit while sleep drunk, in an overnight train a few weeks ago. It didn't fully fit in that chapter, so it kept getting pushed back until now. This was supposed to be posted a few days ago, but real life intervened. Unfortunately, there's a lot coming up irl and the next update might take a little longer.
So, I've seen in a lot of fics that penguin sledding is popularly considered slang for jerking off. I just decided to continue it.
As always, I have my beta to thank :) and all my readers, for sticking with this story.
And Mochi: you’re absolutely amazing. I’m still trying to work out how to include fanart on Ao3, but I cannot thank you enough for it.