Actions

Work Header

i choose us

Chapter 5: A Trip To Nowhere

Summary:

He had it coming. Katara has resorted to completely ignoring Zuko at all cost while he comes up with a plan to fix forgetting their anniversary. The family makes a trip to Ember Island, and along the way not only does Zuko learn it will take more effort than a simple trip to make things right, an unexpected visitor appears.

It isn't enough that he grown attached to his newfound family, his desire to return home beginning to fade.

Notes:

Here it is, the long waited chapter. I manage to make it on my predicted date somehow, having broken my toe the day before *sobs*. And, woah, I was not expecting to write an 8K word chapter but it got away from me, lol. Thank you for all the wonderful comments! Let me know what you guys think this chapter.

Chapter Text

“What am I going to do?” First, the incident  from last night and now this? Why is he so bad at being good? One step forward and another set back is waiting to tip him on his heels. The spirits weren’t looking out for him to redeem himself. They weren’t looking out for him at all. 

 

He had seen Katara hurt on numerous occasions, some which he wished he could have erased if given the courage to do so- and not after fully realizing the feelings he harbored for her. What he saw in that moment was the remaining shred of respect she had in him dwindle. The aftermath of his delayed awareness had a strong effect on him, and Zuko wants nothing more than to patch up his mistakes.

 

But how will he win her over? The other Zuko might have an idea but unfortunate for him, the other Zuko wasn’t here to give him advice- not that it would work in his favor. In fact, if he were here, Zuko wouldn’t be and he selfishly denied accepting that. So he swallows it whole, quietly letting it slip in the back of his thoughts and focuses on what to do about Katara.

 

“I’m sorry.” Kya says, petting her father’s head, comforting him as he was splayed out on the bed, face buried in the furs. “I should have told you they’re anniversary was coming up. Daddy always does something really special for her.”

 

“How special?’ Zuko inquires, turning his head to the side to look up at his daughter. She’s five but he’ll take any advice at this point. Katara shut down completely, going about her day as though it were any other, except Zuko didn’t exist. She bathed, ate breakfast and hugged the girls before setting off for work. She didn’t even glance at Zuko, finding himself disappointed that he had not received the affection she often gave him when departing for work. And who could blame her, he was a lousy excuse for a spouse.

 

Kya ponders this, eyes flickering to the ceiling. “Last year he took Mommy out on a boat overnight and they cuddled while watching a meteor shower together.”

 

“That is the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard.” 

 

Kya shrugs. “Mommy liked it. She said it was the most romantic thing Daddy ever did. He made her a picnic and everything and they spent all night talking.”

 

“Talking?” If that’s what Katara wanted to call it. Zuko was tempted to roll his eyes but he would not insult his daughter by doing so. Katara apparently preferred pensive gifts over finery; the thought of the gift mattered more than the gift itself and he highly doubts the other Zuko could afford to do something grand so he had to resort to making big gestures. Well, if that happens to be the highlight of their married life, surely he can come up with a much better one. 

 

Zuko’s never catered to another person and he’s never had to make the effort to impress a girl- if you don’t count his date with Jin but then again she made the initiative and he went along with it. The same with Mai. She approached him with an open invitation and he happily accepted. A Fire Nation noblewoman with a respectable background was ideal for any prince. And yet, he wasn’t happy.

 

Being a prince was all he wanted and three years separated from his homeland concluded how even less he belonged. The crushing weight, the guilt, the constant look over his shoulder- none of regaining the honor his father bestowed him erased any of it and Zuko contemplates when he was ever truly happy. 

 

His eyes shift to Kya and Ursa, his oldest playing peek-a-boo on the bed with her sister, making Ursa laugh hysterically. Every day here had been...simple. All the complications and stress of being an heir were far away and he had gained a family who loved him unconditionally with no motives. Katara loves him unconditionally. He sees now why his future self had been so infatuated with her all this time. This is what they mean by better half, Zuko thinks, despite how horrid he had been to Katara.

 

“So, he always does something big for your mom?” Zuko interrupts their game.

 

“Yup.”

 

“Okay…” Something big, something big. “What about jewelry?” 

 

Kya’s expression sours. “Mmm, not really. Mommy doesn’t really wear any other than Gran Gran’s necklace.” 

 

Okay, scratch that. “What about a vacation? Has she been to Ember Island?” 

 

Kya grins, nodding her head in approval. “Now you’re getting it.”

 

Zuko smiles, pleased with himself. He could take her to Ember Island, her and the children. His guess is, they’ve never been so he could make a family vacation out of it. Give Katara a piece of their past they didn’t have the luxury of affording anymore. She can’t possibly say no to that, especially if he mentions bringing the girls along. Ember Island was beautiful from its beaches to its entertainment and festivities. He’s bound to get on her good side if he took her on a stroll under the stars or even allowed her to relax while being catered by servants. It was perfect. He’s not a romance expert in the slightest but who could resist rekindling in a setting like that. 

 

“There’s something I need to do. Kya, go get changed, we’re heading out.” He tells her, abruptly getting up from bed and retrieving Ursa for her afternoon nap but not without digging for something hidden in one of the cases. 

 

Iroh’s letters. He could help and this could also be his only opportunity to confront his Uncle. 

 

Pulling out ink and blank parchment, Zuko scribbles a quick reply along with some requests. Sealing it before preparing to leave for the post. 

 


 

Kya squealed, clapping her hands when the airship landed and all Ursa could do was stare wide eyed at the large structure. Turns out, Katara had visited Ember Island before, many years ago while hiding out during the war. The other Zuko having guided her and her friends there under his father’s nose after Ba Sing Sa’s downfall. Katara wasn’t exactly dismissive at the idea, stating it was something the girls might enjoy, rather than show appreciation that he was making an effort towards patching up their marriage. 

 

At first, a part of Zuko worried Katara going to the island might have been traumatizing due to the war but a conversation between her and her brother reminiscing stated otherwise. That gave him a peace of mind, as well as the eagerness on the children’s faces. Katara was still unappeased; unforgiving that he had forgotten their anniversary last week. Unforgiving that he had been a distant husband. 

 

“Wow. What a beauty. Wish I was going with you.” Sokka pouted earlier before he, Katara and the children took off. 

 

“I told you, you and Suki could accompany us.” Zuko reminded him, though he was happy the water tribesman declined, wanting to spend some proper alone time with Katara and his family.

 

“Wish I could. Suki’s too far along and we can’t chance her giving birth during flight. Besides, there’s no way I’m going anywhere with my sister in that mood.” Sokka jerks his head in Katara’s direction where she’s exchanging friendly conversation with the captain, one whom she apparently has already been acquainted with while an ambassador. She catches her husband and brother looking, responding with a scowl and both men awkwardly wave to her. “Good luck with that, buddy.” 

 

“All set?” Hakoda approaches the men, having come out to bid his family a good trip. “You’ve chosen a great time to take a holiday, we’re expecting heavy snowstorms soon.” 

 

“If anything we’ll be back after it passes.”

 

Hakoda crosses his arms over his chest, noting Zuko’s apprehension. “Look, son. It hasn’t been pleasant between you and Katara lately. Don’t let it discourage you. My daughter doesn’t stay mad forever, so long as you have good intentions, and I know you do. Use this opportunity to make it right. Every marriage has its bumps, all you need to do is find a middle ground and it’ll all piece together.”

 

“I appreciate that, Hakoda.” Zuko has grown to deeply respect Hakoda. Ozai never did call him son, not until he thought he had killed the Avatar. The difference is, Hakoda wasn’t expecting anything of Zuko other than being a decent person and Zuko hates himself for having found that kind of love and respect from Iroh only to do the most horrible thing to him in return. He might as well have put a knife in Uncle’s back. 

 

There’s no time for self pity. The captain, Chey, announced they’ll be departing soon, offering to show the family to their cabin. Zuko, Katara and the girls wish the rest of the family goodbye, following the captain aboard the airship. 

 

“Woooow.” Kya’s eyes widened, taking in all the decor, the artifacts, and colors of the other half of her nationality. She nor her sister have ever been surrounded by such vibrant red and gold, and not just that, everything was brilliantly extravagant; from the drapes to the arranged table in the middle of their cabin displayed with fresh food and wine. “Look at the bed, Mommy, it’s huge!” 

 

Zuko smiles, bowing to Chey who leaves the family some privacy. “Lunch will be provided very shortly, Prince Zuko.”

 

His face turns to stone, the familiar sound of his title leaving dread to settle in his chest. “Please, just Zuko. I haven't been a prince in a long time.”

 

“As you wish.” The captain returns the bow.

 

 “Do you like it, love?” Zuko changes the subject, noticing the confused look Katara shot at him after the captain had mistakenly announced his former title. 

 

“I love it.” Kya exclaims, running to the center of the room and falling into the large bed, burying her face into the soft mattress with a sigh. “It feels like clouds.”

 

Zuko chuckles, placing Ursa on the floor so that she could explore the room too, crawling first to a chest of toys Iroh had made sure was provided for his great nieces. He grins at Katara, who does not return it. He’s really messed up but he’s confident that the getaway will mend what he had broken. 

 

Katara quietly settles them in while Zuko entertains their daughters. The airship will take a day and a half to reach Ember Island as long as the weather was in favor.

 

Admittedly, Zuko had been selfishly desperate to return to the Fire Nation even if for a little. A piece of home could surely give him solace despite his undeniable attachment to Kya and Ursa. Regardless, he still missed it. On top of that, there were unanswered questions he desired to know. He’ll just have to think of a way to see his uncle without disrupting his progress with Katara. 

 

Katara. He glances through his peripheral vision to see what she was up to. If she noticed him staring in the least, she’d shoot him a glare. In her hand was a scroll, one which she was looking intently at with deep interest.

 

Love Amongst the Dragons.

 

He smiles. That was his mother’s favorite too.

 

She caught him. That goofy smile he always does when he tries to butter her up, well, she won’t let it slide this time. Though, on Zuko’s end, he doesn’t have a clue.  

 

“I think I’ll take a walk.” Katara announces, moving to her feet and gathering a shawl. 

 

“They’ll be bringing lunch soon.” Zuko argues. To his disappointment, it has no effect, Katara tucking the scroll under her arm and exiting the room.

 


 

A single day had come and gone and the tension still remained. Katara had spent most of her time between socializing with the crew and spending time with their daughters. Only when it was time for bed- to his surprise- did she make physical contact with him, lying next to him and angrily throwing his arm around her waist. 

 

“To be clear,” She corrected before Zuko could think on the matter. “This does not mean I’ve forgiven you. We made a promise never to go to bed mad at each other, and unlike you, I keep my promises.”

 

That struck a cord. Nonetheless, her form fit against his like a puzzle piece and if it meant she would be angry with him forever, then he’ll accept it as long as he at least has this. Then morning rose. The harsh existence of their marital problems still laid as heavy between them as the day before. 

 

Then there it was, the endless sea breaking pattern in the distance to reveal a group of islands up ahead. The ice and cold were far behind. It seemed like not long ago, he was just arriving but in this lifetime, he hadn’t set eyes on his homeland in two years. And at the lip of the airship stood his wife dressed for the weather and clothed in red. Zuko was right, she was perfect in red; the colors clashed elegantantly with her brown skin glowing against the sun and her chocolate hair drifted in the wind like she was an unworldly beauty. 

 

His heart sped up. Zuko clenched the front of his tunic, the need for air taking up in his lungs. What he’s feared aside from being trapped here has come to flourish. This was more than a case of infatuation...but Zuko wasn't ready to admit yet.

 

“I’ve been a pretty big disappointment.” He had suddenly appeared next to her, emitting the warmth he always did when he stood by her. Dawn had broken and the captain had informed them that they would be arriving mid morning. 

 

The scent of sandalwood and vanilla met her nostrils, and Zuko observed the blush gracing her cheeks. She tried not to eye the outfit he had changed into, choosing to ignore the sleeveless tunic that showed off his muscular physique. He had just come out from bathing, having settled on an oil he always preferred. “I don’t want to fight.”

 

“No one is fighting, Zuko.” Katara deadpanned. 

 

“D-do you want to talk?”

 

“What’s to talk about? I don’t want to be negative during this trip but at the same time it’s hard when I feel like everything I’ve known and loved about us is slipping away.” 

 

He bows his head, feeling trapped behind how to handle a situation he had no experience in. He’s still a kid. 

 

“You hate it?” He asks. Maybe the idea of going to Ember Island was too traumatic. “We could have gone somewhere else.”

 

“No. I don’t hate it. It has nothing to do with Ember Island. I've always loved the Fire Nation.”

 

His brows shot up. “Oh. I assumed-”

 

“You assumed wrong. My patience has been running thin and if not for Kya and Ursa, I’d be staying at my Dad’s right now.”

 

“You don’t mean that. Katara, Don’t shut me out.” Zuko pleads, linking his hand with hers. There’s a spark of hope when her shoulders relax and the length of her body leans closer to him as though it has been seeking his warmth all this time. His free hand finds her shoulder, brushing his thumb over the ball of her bare skin and drinking in the way that makes her shiver. She’s small, so tiny compared to him. Zuko likes that, and all he wants is to wrap himself around her. 

 

“Then you should not have shut me out first.” Katara grits, pulling back from his hold and retreating from the deck. 

 



“The beach, Mommy, the beach!” Kya shouts, burying her feet ankle deep in the sand. Indeed, her first time in the Fire Nation. Zuko, Katara and Ursa behind her after dropping off their belongings at the beach house.

 

The former prince wasn’t exactly thrilled to find out Iroh had restored his family’s former beach house. Granted, it had been remodeled and refurbished as though there were not a trace of the previous owners’ existence; Zuko believed his Uncle should have left the place to rot. 

 

The looks on Kya and Ursa’s faces were enough to cope through it. The place was like a palace to them. Servants waited patiently at the front of the lounging area, giving a traditional bow to the former Fire Nation prince and his family. Zuko smirked at how bashful the girls were at the attention. They deserved it, being that royalty courses through their veins. 

 

Katara- Agni, bless her- is so humble. She greets the servants with kindness and light chatter. While most nobles wouldn’t bother to take a second glance at any of a servant's faces, Katara learns their names and joins them in the kitchen for a while.

 

Zuko wanted to get the family to the beach before sunset, Kya being the first to bolt towards the shore as soon as her father slid the back door open leading to the beach. He half expected her to complain of the heat or the travel, having not stepped foot in the Fire Nation since her birth.

 

 “Whoa.” A small hand picks up an object glinting in the sand. “It’s so pretty.” Kya’s eyes shine, brushing away wet sand to reveal a coral shaded seashell. 

 

“There’s lots of seashells all over the beach.” Katara tells her. “Whatever you find, you can take home with you.”

 

“Yay! I’m going to take home a hundred.” 

 

“We’ve got plenty of time for that.” Zuko says, opening the umbrella and placing Ursa on the beach blanket while Katara settled next to her. “Race you to the water?”

 

Kya gives her father a challenging glare then a huge smile stretches on her lips. “Okay.”

 

“We go on the count of three. One. Two-“

 

Kya takes off, giving Zuko no chance to count to three before running towards the water, a clear grin plastered on her face. It’s a second too late before he reacts, Katara laughing at him to run too. Zuko chases after. Of course, being much taller, his strides had gotten him there faster but not without sweeping up Kya- who’s little legs didn’t reach the water in time- and she’s tossed in the air.

 

“You little cheat.” Zuko chuckles, cradling Kya then burying his face into her belly and blowing raspberries. 

 

She kicks and squeals, begging her father to stop. He takes them into the water, waist deep. Kya’s laugh is contagious, Zuko’s losing it along with her. 

 

“You know what happens to cheaters?” Zuko asks, finally able to catch his breath. She shakes her head, burying her face into his chest, preparing herself for what’s to come. Kya yelps, getting tossed in the water. 

 

“Hey, no fair!” She cries, breaking the surface and splashes water at Zuko who pretends he’s trying to swim away and let’s Kya tackle him. 

 

They run along the shore, Kya chasing after and Zuko dodging her every move until they fall backwards in the sand. She pounces on Zuko’s chest with a ‘humph’, a slight crack indicating his physical age and the former Prince notes that he needs to get used to this unfamiliar body soon. 

 

Kya looks up, canting her head to Zuko’s confusion. She reaches out, cupping his face and observes him closely, ignoring her father’s contorted expression. Blue eyes examine him; his nose, ears, and mouth, her scrutiny unreadable. A soft sigh escapes her and her arms wrap tightly around Zuko’s neck. “I knew you’d come back.” She whispers. 

 

He parts briefly. Touched that she thought he was her real father come back to her. He should correct her. He should tell her she’s wrong and that he can never be her father. That what he feels about her and Ursa can never be real and that tomorrow, he may disappear without a trace and they will be but a distant memory. A dream. Surely, Zuko can live with that. 

 

“I love you so much, Kya.” He confesses, bringing her to his chest and placing a kiss on her forehead. 

 

Consequences be damned.

 

A shadow comes over the two, Zuko thinking Katara had left her spot on the beach to join them. Lifting his head, the sinking sun cast a silhouette of a woman that was not his wife. Her long dark brown hair sifted with the ocean breeze. One step closer to them, she reveals she is indeed not Katara, her smile as brilliant and radiant as Zuko remembers. 

 

He stumbles to his feet while holding Kya, reaching a height that surpasses her; needing to lean his head to get a better visual of the woman before him. He thought it utterly hopeless. Somehow a miracle was in his presence and Zuko can’t seem to find his voice. 


Mom.

 

“Hi, Nana.” Kya greeted, reaching her arms out, Ursa accepting her eager hug.

 

“There’s my big girl.” Ursa coos, lifting Kya on her hip and brushing the sand from her pudgy cheeks.

 

“Look, Nana. I lost two baby teeth.” The little girl showed her. 

 

“My, so soon? Nana won’t be able to carry you around anymore with you getting sooooo big.” 

 

He can only stare. Disbelief shadows his face and everything he’s ever wanted to say since the day she left couldn’t find his tongue. 

 

“Ursa. I didn’t see you at the beach house when we arrived, so I was worried you wouldn’t make it. I wish Zuko would've told me you might be a little late.”

 

Ursa turned to her daughter-in-law who was holding their youngest, putting Kya down and tapping the baby’s nose with her finger. “Is that my little Ursa? Nana hasn’t seen you since you were born.” She takes little Ursa into her arms, “Iroh had written to me, telling me you all would be here on a vacation. I decided to surprise you.”

 

Katara’s brow furrowed, snapping in Zuko’s direction. “Zuko, you never invited your mother?”

 

His mouth opened and closed like a fish. 

 

“I’m sorry, Ursa. I don’t know what’s going on with him lately. I'm sure he meant to. “

 

“No worries. I’m just glad to be here.” 

 

They get along well, Katara and Ursa. They hug and chat as though they had been family more than the six years Katara and him had been married. What begs to question, when did Ursa come back in his life and why did she leave. He had mixed feelings of seeing his mom again- both joy and anger. Joy, because it had confirmed she had been alive all along. Anger, because she abandoned him when Zuko needed her the most. 

 

Ursa’s hair is longer, still styled in the way she had always had it as a princess. The lines on her face were visible but accented her beauty and it actually made her seem more graceful. And her features truly confirmed that his youngest is a spitting image of her. 

 

“Hey, Zuko, can I take Kya in the water to play?”

 

Coming up to hug his side is a young girl of about fifteen. His mind immediately goes to Azula, only her face is more rounded and the top half of her hair is in a ponytail.

 

“Please? We won’t run off like we did last time.”

 

“Well, they are less likely to leave our sight on the beach then on ice caps.” Ursa chuckled.

 

“S-sure.” Was all Zuko could muster.

 

“Come on, Aunt Kiyi, let's go play in the water.” Kya tugged her along, the two holding hands as they ran towards the water. 

 

“You wouldn’t think with the age gap those two would be so mischievous together. Kiyi loves seeing the girls, it’s the highlight every year we come to visit the South Pole.” Ursa says.

 

“Well, maybe we can meet halfway more often and visit here. Right, Zuko?”

 

The two women are stunned by his sudden proximity, Zuko taking Ursa’s hand, testing to see if she was really here. The biggest missing piece in his life and he’s more confused than ever. But one thing manages to grasp Zuko and he finally finds his voice. “I’ve missed you.”

 

Ursa’s taken aback. Granted, the last she saw her son was after little Ursa’s birth but even that was some time ago. She smiles, squeezing Zuko’s hand back, heartfelt. “I’ve missed you too.”

 


 

There’s a lot to unpack. Zuko thought waking up in the South Pole was life shattering but this takes the cake. Getting his nerves under control proved hard and the break down that had built over the course of eighteen years was balling in his gut. He needed to absorb this because it was happening all at once and he just can’t sort it out fast enough. 

 

Ursa was alive. Remarried, in fact, and had another child with another man. Which, lucky for him, was unavailable and unable to join them at Ember Island. Zuko couldn’t handle that if he tried, not that he wasn’t happy for his mother- in the end, there was still this lingering feeling of abandonment. Ursa had gone and lived a whole other life without him while his father treated him like the dirt below his feet. 

 

That’s why he’s excused himself, escaping to his room and leaving his family to play on the beach. He’s supposed to be fixing things...not running away like a scared little boy. 

 

“You’re hyperventilating.” Katara says, approaching him sitting on the bed with his face buried in his hands. Zuko had not anticipated for her to check on him, their marriage being on the rocks and all. “The last time I saw you like this was in Hira’a. I thought you were going to leave and never speak to your mother again. She’s worried, you know.”

 

He sighs. “I don’t want her to worry. I’m just...I’m in my feelings right now. I’m sorry. Some anniversary trip this turned out.”

 

Katara nodded, having forgotten for a moment that she was livid with him. Albeit, the softer side of her couldn’t ignore that her husband was conflicted. 

 

“Why aren’t you with the others?” Zuko asked. “Don’t let my negativity dampen everyone’s good time.”

 

She sighs. “Why must you be so moody at the most unreasonable time?”

 

“I’m sorry I haven’t been the perfect husband. It’s hard when you don’t let me in!” He seethes. It takes seconds before he regrets his outbursts.

 

“Well, it’s hard to let someone in when they’re being a complete ass!” She retorts.

 

Zuko opens his hands in a plea, on the brink of loss and possible insanity. “What do you want me to do? Tell me what to do and I’ll do it. You want me to grovel at your feet? Fine! I’ll grovel and beg like that piece of shit I am!”

 

Katara throws her hands in the air. “I give up!” She proclaims, turning on her heels but stops short, refusing to let go. “You know what? No, let’s hash this out, Zuko.” She presses, pushing a harsh finger into his chest. “Tell me what it is? Is it your mom? Is it me? Is it the girls? Is there this distraction so big that it clouds out your judgement and forget anniversaries?”

 

He’s baffled, jumping to his feet because her outburst struck a nerve. The dark cloud that’s loomed over him since the catacombs reappears, the slithering snake of his guilt weaved in and played on Zuko’s doubts. He doesn’t like to be reminded what a shitty person he is. He can’t shake how maddening it is to prove himself when she won’t even give him the chance. He cares so damn much. More than he should. Yet every part of him couldn’t fight how much he did even if he tried. Why does he put up with this?

 

Because you love her. A gentle voice reminds him. Because fighting for her is worth more than never having her at all. Because nothing worth having comes easy.

 

Zuko’s always fought for an easy way out, though he struggled, the one goal in mind was enough to motivate him. So when Azula killed the Avatar and gave Zuko the credit, he snatched it up and let the rest fall in his lap, his conscience be damned. Then, he was miserable. 

 

Katara and him were like night and day. She challenged him, crossed him and didn’t think twice about telling him what’s on her mind. But through these, she’s motivated him and supported him. Gave him two beautiful children and loved him, looking past the worst of him and accepting that even though Zuko was once her enemy, she always appreciated him for what he was now. 

 

“I’m scared.” She bites her lip, choking back a sob that threatened to come out. “I’m scared that one day you’ll wake up and you’ll want to leave. You won’t touch me, or kiss me or fuck me-“

 

She gasped, now flushed against Zuko, one hand pressed to the base of her spine and the other cupped the nape of her neck. Katara’s heart jump started, Zuko’s breath brushing her sensitive ear lobe and her tear glossed eyes blink rapidly. 

 

He had forgotten himself. 

 

“I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting. I’m not going anywhere. I’m scared too but not enough to envision ever abandoning you. I would do anything. Anything. You deserve to be reminded of that everyday. And as for the last part, I want to fuck you, Katara. I want to fuck you so bad that it’s taking every ounce of me not to throw you on that bed and have my way with you in every position I can imagine.” 

 

She keened, Zuko’s lips brushing her jaw then coming up to kiss chastely on her forehead. The placement of that kiss was so gentle, so breathtakingly sweet, the air in her lungs stilled and a blush graced her cheeks. 

 

“Give me a few moments and I’ll prove that to you.” He reassures. 

 

That feeling, the one she’s felt the night after the solstice, she now recognizes as the first time. When they were young and clumsy and nothing else existed in the world but them. Her heartbeat pounds with unexpected anticipation, his lips imprinted where they trailed, and Katara’s eyes fluttered close at the sensation. The spark, renewed, set light thrums of electricity across her skin. 

 

She tells herself not to give in so easily. Make Zuko work for the way he’s taken her for granted. No matter how long she tries to cling on to her anger, regardless of how reasonable her resentments are, she can’t find it in her heart to continue. “Don’t think you’re out of hot water yet.”

 

Zuko chuckles, grazing his thumb below her ear. Her lips break into a seductive smile, coaxing him to trial his thumb over that place. He wants to worship that place, steal every exhale she makes just like she’s doing now. The temptation had his temperature rising. But first, he has to set aside these lingering preplextions. “Will you wait for me here?”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Do you trust me?”

 

Katara stared at him incredulously but then answered. “Of course.”

 


 

Kiyi is teaching Kya handstands by a fire while little Ursa is worn out, sleeping across her grandmother’s lap. Ursa herself is looking past her daughter and grandchild, gaze fixated on the ocean- the sun having disappeared and the moon now reflecting on the water. A picture perfect scene, one that Zuko considered impossible. 

 

His quiet footsteps in the sand didn’t stir Ursa who sat upright on the beach blanket with her legs crossed as she hummed a tune to which his youngest had seemed to have fallen asleep to as her grandmother stroked her hair. Zuko’s mother always had a gentle nature about her.

 

“You can sit next to me, you know. I haven’t seen any turtleducks about, so you’re safe for now.” Ursa patted the space next to her, the tender smile he had long wanted to see again present on her face, revealing the dimples on her cheeks. 

 

Zuko mirrored her with his own, crossing his legs in a lotus style when seated next to her. An indication of his willingness but also a position in which stated he still had his guard up. He wasn’t sure what kind of relationship his mother and his future self had but he hadn’t the mindfulness to keep up appearances. Doing that with his wife and family is hard enough, trying with the very person who disappeared without a trace to start a whole other family was another. 

 

“You said you missed me earlier. That's an improvement.” Ursa half heartedly jokes, her hushed laugh fading.

 

Zuko blinked. So their relationship wasn’t on good terms. “It’s the truth.” He replied.

 

He can tell she’s nervous, his mother shifting uncomfortably. He had imagined that if they ever reunited, things would return to normal as though the years lost between them never happened. Instead, Zuko feels disappointment. He had nothing against Kiyi. In fact, he’s happy to see he had a sibling that didn’t have a vindictive motive against him. But that’s what makes Zuko resent Ursa all the more. If she had taken him and Azula with her, would they have turned out better people? With a happy childhood like Kiyi? 

 

“That means a lot.” Ursa whispered. 

 

“What happened to us?” Zuko asked before he could stop himself, fear clutched at his heart because now he was afraid of the answer.

 

Her eyes widened, obvious that Zuko’s never asked her this question before.  She swallows hard before answering. “I wish I knew. But if I were to blame anyone, it would be myself. I’m lucky enough you allowed me to be in my grandchildren’s lives. And Katara, heavens, I can’t imagine never meeting her.”

 

“They’re good.” Zuko agrees. “Too good for me. Yet, here we are.”

 

Ursa gave him a pained expression. “I don’t know where you’re getting at, Zuko.”

 

He exhaled a heavy sigh, reaching out and enclosing his hand over hers. She left to protect him and Azula, that part he picked up long ago. Ozai was a sinister man and power hungry to boot. If anyone were to play a part in his mother’s disappearance, it would certainly be him. In the end, Zuko couldn’t fathom ever abandoning his family. No amount of fear his father could emanate would ever persuade him to commit that. “Does that matter?” He asks more himself than her. 

 

“Yes.” She sighed. “But only on your own terms.” 

 

On his own terms. No one’s given him the luxury aside from his uncle. Coming here, he’s discovered a place where he is genuinely accepted and his feelings count for something. Not by one, but many people. And though things were strained now, Zuko is confident that he can gain a portion of what he and his mother had lost despite the other Zuko probably having no intentions. 

 

Yue mentioned how being here was more than he deserved. It’s true. Zuko had been given a second chance and maybe the way his future self handled things didn’t suit the spirits either; having not returned to the Fire Nation in two years, staying holed up in the South Pole, and keeping his mother and Uncle at arms length. He can change that, starting now.

 

“I love you, mom.”

 

Ursa isn’t so quick to hide the tear falling from the pit of her eye before wiping it from her cheek. “I love you too, Zuko.”

 

“And I love you, daddy!” Kya squeals, suddenly appearing on her father’s lap. “Do you love me?”

 

“Of course I do. No one could forget you, turtleduck.” Zuko grinned, displaying fierce kisses all over her daughter's chubby cheeks until she whines.

 

“Yuck. Gross, daddy, come on.”

 

“Certainly you’re not too old for kisses.” Ursa mocked a pout, before coming in to tackle her along with Zuko. Kya begs for her aunt Kiyi to save her, only for the teenager to betray her as well. The game ends in a fit of laughter that leaves them with their sides hurting and Kya feeling the exhaustion after a long day as her eyelids fought to stay open.

 


 

“Careful now.” He smirks over his shoulder. 

 

Katara huffs, pulling her foot out of the sand and clingering tighter to Zuko. “It doesn’t help when you’re in a rush. My feet can’t keep up with yours.”

 

He had forgotten their height difference. Katara had always been shorter than him but as an adult, it’s more so. While he had grown well past six feet Katara might have been awarded a few extra inches since she was sixteen but it was something he had noticed was common among watertibe women. While he was used to the tall, thin figures of Fire Nation women, water tribe women were the opposite; built for the harsh atmosphere of living on an icy tundra. 

 

“I’m sorry. Want me to carry you.” He teases.

 

Katara pursed her lips, fighting the heat suffusing her cheeks. “Thanks, but I’m a big girl.”

 

“I’ve never had my doubts about that.”

 

“Right. You made that quite clear before. ‘Well, aren’t you a big girl now.’” She mimics his voice. 

 

Zuko grimaced. Did he really say it like that? “Ugh, I wish I could erase that.”

 

“If you weren’t trying to steal my friend, I’d think you were flirting with me.” She laughs, coming in to nibble the ball of Zuko’s shoulder. It’s his turn to blush. He can dish out the banter but Katara always had a way to leave him tongue tied. 

 

“M-Maybe I was. Kind of…” He cut off. 

 

“Really?” Katara arched a brow. 

 

He shrugs. Maybe. It was more or less him trying to come off menacing, really. “We’re almost there.” He tugs her along. 

 

They reach a group of rocks not far from the shoreline, Zuko peeking over the corner to make sure no one else is around. There, a few feet out of view, was an entrance. A makeshift staircase of rocks led deep below the surface, Zuko igniting a flame in the palm of his hand. He guides Katara carefully, ensuring that she does not slip easily, enthralled how she clings to his side as they make their way down.

 

“Where are we?” She asks. 

 

Good. She’s never been brought here before. “You’ll like this.” Is all he clues her in on.

 

They reach the bottom and to Katara’s surprise, she can hear waves crashing somewhere below. Her eyes widen in amazement, looking up first at the wide open space above the cave exposing the night sky littered with stars and the moon positioned closer than Katara had ever seen. Her wondrous gaze then lands on a patch of sand beyond the water.

 

“What is this place?” She gasped.

 

“It’s a hidden cave.” Zuko replied, untying the sash to his sleeveless tunic and lifting it over his head. He climbs in the water first, burning out the flame and lifting the basket he brought on his shoulder. “We’ll have to swim to the beach.” He urged her to strip down to her bindings, in which she complied, eyes fixated on the scene before her, Zuko proud of his accomplishment. 

 

Reaching the patch of beach sand, Zuko stages the items they brought while Katara fascination draws her in to explore a part of the hidden cave. 

 

“So, how did I do?”

 

Katara makes a short laugh. “I don’t know how you’ve done it but I’m officially impressed.”

 

“I take it I'm in your good graces now.”

 

“Just about.” She quipped. “It’s still early.”

 

He builds a fire while Katara plays in the water, bending it in a dancelike motion that would put anyone in a trance. Her wet hair clung to her skin, droplets trickling down her exposed skin. Zuko licks his lips, feeling almost parched and tries concentrating on setting up their evening. That proves to be extremely difficult when she parts her lips and closes her eyes, lifting her head to the sky and showing off her neck. 

 

“Come here.” Zuko appears near her. She smiles serenely, accepting his embrace and stroking delicate fingers down the nape of his neck, provoking him to quiver.

 

“Agni, you’ll end me before we even start.” He hissed between clenched teeth. Wherever her touch lied, his skin prickles. 

 

“Oh? And what exactly did you have in mind?” Katara hums low.

 

“I...uh, I’ve brought food.” He insisted, changing the subject. Zuko didn’t want to seem needy nor did he have the confidence yet to make a smooth initiative even if he tried. 

 

Katara’s hands wander from his neck to his chest, paying special attention to his pectoral area, then trailing low until one hand reaches the treasure patch of hair that led below his trousers and her fingers linger there- right at the tip. Zuko swallows, the head of his cock centimeters from where her hand rested, having grown erect during her explorations. “Okay.” She agreed, wading out of the water. Zuko doesn’t remember holding his breath. He regains his composure, joining her. 

 

Ursa had kindly packed them something small since they would not be joining her, Kiyi and the girls for dinner. Kya probably couldn’t stay up long enough to finish her meal and Ursa slept mostly through breastfeeding.

 

They nibbled quietly on komodo rhino and sweetbread. While they ate, Zuko silently prays to Agni that he could get through this without another...incident. 

 

His hard concentration must be apparent because Katara breaks the awkward tension. “Can I have a grape?” 

 

“Sure.” He mumbles, reaching in the basket. “Here.”

 

“Feed it to me.” She requests.

 

Heat spiked in his belly. Zuko nodded eagerly, plucking one off the vine and pressing it on Katara's lips. She parts them, enclosing her mouth over his fingers and suckles slightly. Agni, he won’t make it. “H-How can you do that?”

 

“Do what?”

 

“Be so collected. Aren’t you nervous too.”

 

Katara snorted, swallowing the rest of the grape. “It’s not like it’s our first time.”

 

It is for me.

 

Her expression turns to concern. “Zuko?”

 

“There’s something I need to tell you. Something you need to know that I should have been upfront about.”

 

It's okay. He should tell her. Zuko wants nothing more than to tell her who he is and that he could treat her so much better, love her so much better. Yes, it might come off that he was comparing to his other self but spirits knows if he’ll ever come back. He's here now-  this Zuko- with Katara, and for reasons beyond anything he could explain. Perhaps she’ll accept him for who he is, eventually she’ll come to love him just the same. She might think he’s crazy at first. Is it a risk he’s willing to take?

 

He doesn’t want her to love him because she thinks he’s her real husband. He wants her to love him for who he is, right here right now, in this moment with the night sky above them and her blue eyes dancing in the firelight. 

 

Zuko leans in, taking her mouth. Katara blinks, their lips linger there- unmoving, innocent. She closes her eyes, letting Zuko draw her into his lap, never breaking the kiss. They remain there, held in each other’s embrace until Katara pulls back for air. “What did you want to tell me?”

 

She’s radiant. There’s no place he’d rather be. Zuko wants to keep this forever, if she’ll let him.

 

His smile falters. If.

 

“I love you.” He confesses instead.

 

Katara rests her forehead against his. Something in the way he says it makes her heart soar and her body come alive. She feels young again. His embrace, careful. His confession, pure. Now she’s feeling shy, her breath coming in quiet pants and she can hear Zuko do the same. “I love you too.” 

 

His lips come down harder this time, shaky and clumsy. Zuko fingers tremble as they brush the dip of her clavicle. He hears Katara gasp a ‘please’, urging him to give attention to the beautiful structure where he rained kisses. The muscles in his stomach bunch, electricity trailing down the furrow between the ridges of his spine. 

 

“More.” She mewls.

 

“Only if you’re good.” Zuko keens, smiling wolfishly into her throat. 

 

He caresses her neck, her shoulders, her sides, her stomach. Katara’s nipples pebble beneath her top bindings, aching to be let out. She wants so badly to just rip off their clothes and take out all her sexual frustration on him. She had been touch starved way too long but something in the way Zuko behaves during his ministrations tells her to let him have it this once. So, she bites her lip, hard. 

 

“None of that.” Zuko cups her chin, tongue lapping at her upper lip, coaxing her to release her bottom, leaving an opening to slip inside her mouth. 

 

“Ah!” Katara gasped. Her heart hammered in her chest, clinging tight to the hard muscles of his back, fingernails biting so deep they leave marks. She straddles him, seeking friction where the ache lied between her legs and her bindings are suddenly uncomfortable. 

 

“Lie down.” Zuko instructs, adjusting them both so that he was towering over her. He groans, lids going heavy with lust and his gold eyes turn molten at the sight of Katara on her back panting heavy and eagerly caressing the space between her legs while keeping her gaze steady on him. Her hips slightly off the ground, swiveling lewdly as her lower bindings dampen beneath her skilled fingers.

 

Zuko snatched her wrist, tossing it aside and pressing her knees to her chest so that she was wide open and exposed. “I thought we agreed you would be good.” He rasped, losing his voice. He had never been struck with so much desire; breath ragged and hot blood pulsed through his veins like an undercurrent of sexual awareness he didn’t know he was capable of harboring. 

 

“If I wanted be good, I wouldn’t have married you instead.” 

 

He shot her a glare, understanding her reference. A growl vibrates low in his chest at the thought of the Avatar having had her before him. Desire shot through her, witnessing Zuko’s eyes flash possessively. 

 

As much as he wanted to take her with no resolve, he didn’t want a repeat of last time. He had some making up to do and it required all his concentration. So when he rips the barrier between his lips and her sex, Katara cries out, stunned. He lapped hungrily at her inner thighs, rotating between the left and the right. He turns circles with his tongue, biting and nibbling the sensitive flesh. He then goes in to bite her ass, hearing her squeak at the action and he laughs out loud.

 

“I told you to be good.”

 

She tastes so sweet and he’s so hard. Her disheveled state as he rolled and suckled her clit had him damn near on the edge. But he couldn’t stop. For every orgasm he failed to give her from every opportunity he had to have her was made up over and over. Katara shook and sputtered. Tears surfaced in her eyes from the mix of pain and pleasure, Zuko assaulting her every senses. 

 

His grip remained strong, holding her in place, even when she began to rut against his mouth. Zuko’s hips ground into the blanket in time with the way he impaled her with his tongue. Fuck, he could give her this all night- enraptured by pleasure sounds, watching her surrender so prettily as one orgasm crashed after another. He would make sure that after this, she was imprinted on every part, every crevice; her lips, her tongue, her skin, her cunt. 

 

Katara, in a dazed state of mind, was fixated on the stars. Her mouth agape, her hands locked in Zuko’s hair and she didn’t know if she had it in her to be overtaken by another release. 

 

Zuko licks his lips of her wetness, releasing Katara legs and examining her blissed filled expression. He makes an approving moan, separating her folds and lining the tip of his cock at her entrance. Katara sighs, happy to be filled again after so long without Zuko and closes her eyes in anticipation, loosening the knot holding her upper bindings and caresses her breasts.

 

“Look at me, Kat.” He murmurs, cupping her cheek, watching her search his face for some sort of explanation. He makes up none. “Look only at me, okay?”

 

“Yes.” She replies, confused by his request but stayed only on him.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

She’s tight. Oh so fucking tight. Zuko’s jaw clenches, spasms hitting him hard as Katara chants his name in a pure cry of lust. She’s so overly sensitive that she came apart, thighs quivering violently from another release and Zuko’s even more satisfied to have gone along with his first approach because he was damn near close already.

 

He bottoms out, hugging Katara flush, his face buried in her neck and breath fanning her skin. She’s warm and wet and pulsating all around him and Zuko relished in how she sucked him in so greedily. If he had known that she felt so good wrapped around his cock, he would have taken her sooner. He would have loved her sooner. He would have cherished her sooner.

 

He draws back his hips, slamming back into her. Zuko moves with inexperience, focusing on how and in what ways he should do this. Katara doesn’t react as vocally as before until he hooks her legs over the crease of his arms. She throws her arms around his neck, sobbing uncontrollably, both from pleasure and the relief of having her husband back.

 

“Don’t hurt me again.”

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Never again.”

 

“Never again.”

 

“Zuko- Oh . Zuko. So close...harder. Fuck me harder.”

 

His vision blurs, grasping Katara by the neck and tilting her chin back. His lips came crashing hard on hers, holding back as long as his body would allow him as he pounds relentlessly into her with a bruising force, the slick sound of him sliding in and out of her growing louder; slapping flesh echoing in the cave. Katara clenches, arching her back in what Zuko hoped was another orgasm because he can’t hold back. His balls tighten, Zuko roaring against Katara’s lips as he cums; shuddering uncontrollably as he spills his seed deep inside her.

 

Zuko bows his head, embracing his wife through the afterglow, brushing back tears from her face that had fallen during their lovemaking. She’s stunning. Everything about Katara is amazing in every aspect. She gave him everything he didn’t know he needed; companionship. 

 

He wanted to go home and he did. His mind is made up. Zuko knows where his place is now, even if that meant stealing it from someone else.