Actions

Work Header

New Earth: Stargirl

Summary:

My name is Courtney Whitmore. I have to say, when my mom got remarried, I never expected my life to change the way it has. But then I was chosen by the Cosmic Staff to protect the town of Blue Valley and carry on the legacy of Justice Society of America. With my new stepdad's help, one day I'll be as great as Starman was. I am Stargirl. Enjoy! Better than summary suggests.

Notes:

This is my first Stargirl story, so please, cut me some slack. I'm going to do my best to take what I've set up in my other stories into account while writing this one, though I think I should be able to do a decent job. One little note, in this version, since Stargirl is taking place on the same earth as all the other stories, I've had to change a few details about the show in order to have everything make sense. Hope you guys like it, since I've been wanting to do a Stargirl story for this series for a while, since there are a few things I'd do differently about the show and I'm going to try and reflect those in this story as I have in all my others. Also, just because I know someone is going to ask, no, I will not be restoring anyone's memories in this story, because honestly, there aren't any characters to restore the memories of. At least, not at this point in time. Now, I hope you guys enjoy the story.

Chapter Text

Hollywood California, 1998

Pat Dugan could not believe what had just happened. In fell swoop, the Justice Society of America had been wiped out by their bitter rivals, the Injustice Society of America. The only reason he'd been spared is because he'd only been deemed a sidekick and as such, had not been called in like the rest of the society had been.

Anyways, after he'd arrived on the scene, he'd been powerless to watch the ISA defeat his friends. Wildcat, Dr. Midnite, Hourman, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Green Lantern, the Flash, all of them had fallen trying to defeat the ISA. The only one he'd managed to pull out of there alive was his best friend, Starman. However, Pat hadn't been able to rescue Starman before the leader of ISA, Icicle, had severely injured him.

Solomon Grundy had badly damaged Pat's flying car, though they'd still managed to escape and crash landed far away from the battle site.

"Pat." Sylvester Pemberton said as he struggled to hold on to his life.

"Sylvester." Pat said as he helped his friend out of the car, only for Starman to collapse on the ground not far from the crash site.

"The Justice Society?" Sylvester asked.

"They're all gone and so will you if we don't get you to a hospital." Pat said as he attempted to help his friend to his feet, only for Sylvester to refuse.

"What are you doing?" Pat asked.

"Pat, it's too late for me. But." Sylvester said.

"But what?" Pat asked.

"The Justice Society must live on. It's legacy must endure. Someone with honor must carry the torch." Sylvester said.

"I'll try my best." Pat said.

"Oh no, not you. Someone with grace and heroism. Again, not you. But there is someone out there. Someone who's not you." Sylvester said and despite everything, Pat couldn't help but chuckle, since even while he was dying, Sylvester still had a sense of humor.

"Pat, you were a great friend and an even better sidekick." Sylvester said as he shuddered before finally falling, the glow of his staff dying with him as Pat placed his head on his friend's chest and sobbed, mourning the loss of all the friends he'd lost that night.

What he didn't know was that at the same time as this was happening, the leader of what would be the next generation was being born.

North Hollywood California, 2013

Courtney Whitmore was very annoyed right now.

"Court, you almost finished packing?" Barbara Whitmore asked her daughter.

"You mean to move away from my friends and my life? Yeah, almost done." Courtney said sarcastically as she sat down on her bed and her mom sat down next to her.

"Look, sweetheart, I know this isn't easy for you, but Pat and I think that this move to Blue Valley will be a good thing for all of us. We can get away from all the supervillain activity in California." Barbara said.

"Yeah, but that also means any chance I might've had of meeting Supergirl is out the window." Courtney said, since she was a big fan of the girl of steel.

"Well who knows, maybe she'll pay a visit to Blue Valley some day." Barbara said.

"Seriously mom? Face it, the only reason we're moving is because it's what Pat wants. You two didn't even ask me if it's what I wanted." Courtney said.

"Court, I know this isn't easy for you, but we're not just moving to Blue Valley because it's what Pat wants. It's what I want too. That town is a safe place that we can call home and raise our family. It's where I grew up actually." Barb said.

"I know." Courtney said.

"Look, just give it a chance. Who knows, you might find something there that you actually like." Barb said and Courtney sighed.

"Okay, for you I'll try." Courtney reluctantly agreed.

"How's she doing?" Pat asked Barbara when she came downstairs.

"About as well as expected. She's still not thrilled about this whole move." Barbara said.

"And she's not the only one. I mean seriously, we're moving to a place with no pier, no ocean, no in-out burger, no Fatburger, hell, I'll be surprised if there's even indoor plumbing there." Pat's son Mike Dugan said.

"It's Nebraska Mike, not Siberia. And please, could you try and be a bit more about this?" Pat asked.

"I'm positive that this sucks. I mean, I thought that after you two got married, we'd finally stop moving around." Mike said.

"That's what this move to Nebraska is about. Finally setting down roots somewhere. I promise, this is the last time." Pat said.

"Yeah, that's what you said right before we moved to California." Mike said as he walked away.

"I hope that they both warm up to the idea soon." Barb said.

"Barb, I'm sure that once we're there and they've had a chance to get used to it, they'll be fine. Trust me, you know I wouldn't have suggested this if I didn't think it was a good idea." Pat said.

"I know. I'm going to go double check on Courtney." Barb said and Pat nodded as he watched his wife go back up the stairs before turning his attention to the large crates of car parts into the moving truck.