Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-12-26
Updated:
2021-01-22
Words:
14,903
Chapters:
8/?
Comments:
4
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
648

Red And Blue : The World of Echo

Summary:

Kurt thought his blue skin and unique mutations were a one in seven billion occurrence. That it was just him that was like this. However, vid view of the world is turned on its head when Charles Xavier brings an elf girl named Echo to the institute.

Now it's up to Kurt to help her rescue the rest of their people from a government facility in Alaska. And maybe, just maybe he'll learn a bit about himself from this stranger who's suddenly a very big part of his life.

And if while doing that, he somehow manages to get a girlfriend, a whole new family and a better understanding of just how he came to be? Well, that'd be helpful too. Though, maybe not necessarily in that order.

Chapter 1: Elf! Ask And It'll Be Passed To Ya...

Chapter Text

The Xavier Institute was quiet . . . Not!

It was breakfast time on a Saturday, which meant that in the large dining room, most of the inhabitants of the school were sitting at the long table. Conversation was loud, but there was laughter everywhere and the atmosphere was light. This was the scene that Charles Xavier arrived to see. A soft smile slid across his lips, and he gestured for the girl behind him to take a look.

Her face was shadowed by the large hood she wore, and her eyes darted around. Hopefully she would settle, but for the moment he just gestured to the breakfast table as he wheeled to his seat.

"Please, help yourself."

She bounded off, disappearing in a puff of smoke. Charles sighed softly, knowing someone was going to comment. But at least it would be a nice segway into introductions, so he didn't stress over it too much. The girl who'd followed him in hung upside down from the chandelier, reaching for the sausages. Logan, who spotted fingers reaching for the platter, slammed it shut and shouted.

"ELF!"

She squeaked and withdrew her hand, holding it to her as she ported back to hide behind Charles' wheelchair. At the same time, Kurt Wagner, who was sitting across from Logan and a few seats to the left and had been considering doing the same thing, jumped.

"How many times do I gotta tell ya, ask and it'll be passed to ya!"

Kurt arched a brow, tilting his head to one side.

"But I didn't even do anything yet! I've been in my seat this whole time."

"Then who-"

Charles cleared his throat, gaining the attention of those at the table. Conversations quieted and then ceased as all eyes turned to the headmaster of their unusual school.

"That misunderstanding would be my fault. I did tell her to go ahead and get some breakfast."

Logan's brows furrowed.

". . . Her who?"

Peering from behind Charles' chair, a girl waved tentatively. She stood, though it was hesitant, biting her lip and pushing down the hood of her jacket. Her skin, or rather fur, was covered in swirls of red and blue, ears pointed and hair midnight black. Her eyes were an emerald green, and a spade tipped tail swayed sheepishly behind her.

"My apologies, I did not mean to startle you."

Most of the table stares in shock, and she looks around before her eyes zero in on Kurt and she disappears once again in a puff of smoke. When she reappears, she is crouched on the table in front of him, leaning very much into his personal space. Her nose twitches a few times, and her eyes widen.

"You're really a blue!"

Kurt blinks at this stranger a few times, arching a brow.

"Yes, I know that I am blue."

She shakes her head.

"No, you're A blue. One of many. Or . . . What used to be many."

And Kurt just stares at her for a minute because she can't be serious! But she must be, she's just like him. She's a teleporter with colorful fur and pointed ears, and he didn't notice before but he notes now that she has four fingers and when they come into contact with his forehead suddenly he isn't sitting at the table anymore. He's in a village filled with elves. Red, blue, green, purple and swirls of the four on people who look just like him. And then suddenly there's fire and the smell of smoke and he's being carried away but the fact that he's safe will never erase the sound of hopeless screams from his ears. And then he's back at breakfast and staring up into eyes so green it hurts to look at them.

"Who are you? And what was that?"

The girl tilts her head to one side. She looks a little confused, but she answered him nonetheless.

"I am Echo. And that was dream fasting. I can show you my memories because you are Eins Mit Der Natur- One With Nature. Like me. Like the rest."

Charles spoke up from the head of the table.

"The rest?"

She girl turned swiftly, standing upright and walking across the table, lithe and graceful.

"Yes, the rest. My people were attacked. Many were killed. Yet what remains of us have been captured by your government. Where they were taken I do not know."

Kurt's brows furrowed.

"Couldn't you do that dream fasting thing with them to find out?"

She looked back at him, brows furrowing as well in a bear perfect mirror.

"No . . . I must be physically touching to dream fast on purpose, and I cannot show what I see in real time. None of us can. And dream fasting across any distance is far more complicated than when you are touching."

She pursed her lips, before asking what was bothering her.

"Did your parents not teach you this?"

Kurt bristled, getting sympathetic looks he hated from around the table.

"I was raised by ordinary humans. And even even I speak with her, my mother is no help."

Echo tilted her head, as though she were listening to something far off

"And your father?"

Kurt pursed his lips.

"I have never met him. Besides, he may not even be . . . Like me."

She chuckled softly, crouching again and crawling over to lift his chin up with two of her fingers.

"Silly boy. You cannot get a full blue with anything other than two full blues. It is not possible. Your fur would look like mine!"

He arched a brow.

"What about with a human?"

Echo just shook her head.

"It would not work. Women who are  Natur Geliebt are infertile with human men. However, the reverse is true for the males. A make blue and a human female are extremely likely to conceive. However, their child will not be a full blue. Half the fur loses pigment as the child grows."

Kurt just sighed. At the head of the table, Charles Xavier rubbed a hand over his face.

"Echo, please get off the table. Take a seat. After breakfast, we will discuss all. Your people, your connection to Kurt, everything. For now, let's just have breakfast."

She frowned, but ported off the table. She supposed breakfast couldn't hurt.