Actions

Work Header

Summer of Distractions

Summary:

Katara accepts a job as an ambassador in the Fire Nation. She soon finds that the most intriguing part of her summer isn't the job, but rather is her growing feelings for the Fire Lord.

Notes:

This is my first longer fic! I hope you enjoy. Big shout out to JoyDragon for their invaluable help in forming an actual story out of some half-baked ideas!

Chapter Text

Katara looked around the wedding. She couldn’t even remember the last water tribe wedding she had attended, if she had ever attended one. She grinned gleefully as she took in the central hall, decorated with beautiful ice crystals, courtesy of some of the Northern waterbenders. Sprigs of berries hung at regular intervals along the walls and seats, signifying new beginnings and new life. A new era of peace, a new city and now a new married couple that demonstrated the love between different nations.

She turned back to the bride and groom. Suki looked stunning in her green fur-lined dress. Her head was adorned with the traditional Kyoshi-island head ornament and her signature fans rested against her hips in a nod to her heritage. Katara’s eyes drifted across to her brother where he stood next to his bride. He looked ecstatic and she couldn’t help the swell of pride she felt. He’d really become a man and now he had someone else to take care of him. She quickly brushed away a tear that fell from her eyelashes, feeling a bit embarrassed. He’d been a man for a few years now and she didn’t have to look after him anymore like she used to, but she still couldn’t help the bittersweet emotions bubbling up.

All of their friends had been able to attend. From her position in the front row she could only see across the aisle to where Toph and Aang sat. She still felt a slight uneasiness about seeing Aang. It had been about a year since she had broken things off with him and moved back to the South Pole. It was refreshing to not be referred to as ‘the Avatar’s girlfriend’ and Katara hadn’t realised how much she’d craved a more stable home than the nomadic lifestyle could offer till she’d arrived back at the South Pole. At least they were on friendly terms.

“You are now pronounced husband and wife.”

The congregation cheered and applauded as Suki grabbed Sokka’s lapel and kissed him hard. He squeezed her back, a goofy smile spread across his face. Katara watched them both through her happy tears.

***

A few hours later Katara sat at a table watching couples dance through the wedding. She felt so happy for Sokka and Suki but needed a moment to gather her thoughts. The beginning of a new era for Sokka. Upon her return to the South Pole she’d focused a lot of her energies on looking after Sokka again and helping to rebuild the city and prior to that she’d been rather intensely devoted to looking after Aang. Now, with the city mainly completed, her relationship with Aang finished and Sokka married… she was feeling a bit lost. She felt a minor pang in her chest as she watched the bride and groom look lovingly into each other’s eyes, gently swaying together in the centre of the dancefloor. Her eyes drifted across the hall to where Aang had dragged a reluctant Toph onto her feet. She smiled, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes. Not so long ago everyone had been expecting the next wedding to be for her and Aang. She was certain that her and Aang weren’t right for each other in a romantic sense, so she didn’t feel the loss of that...but it didn’t stop her longing for what Sokka and Suki so obviously had…

“Katara?”

Katara was jolted out of her reverie to see Zuko. “Zuko!” she exclaimed, jumping up to throw her arms around him. She pulled back, smiling widely at him. His golden eyes held hers for a moment as she felt the familiar rush of emotions upon seeing Zuko: joy and utter gratitude that would never fade at the sacrifice he had once made for her. She noticed someone behind Zuko’s shoulder and smiled widely before turning to embrace him.

“General Iroh!” she exclaimed, as he squeezed her in a warm hug.

“Master Katara,” he chuckled. “Please, call me Uncle or Iroh.”

“Only if you agree to just call me Katara,” she said, teasingly. Iroh laughed.

“It is a joy to see you again, Miss Katara,” he said. “What a beautiful wedding, and may I say you look particularly exquisite this evening.”

Zuko blushed a bright red, visibly cringing at his uncle. Katara laughed at Zuko’s embarrassment. “You are too kind, Iroh,” she responded.

Iroh spotted Zuko’s face and admonished him. “Nephew, where are your manners? Do you not agree?” he said, nudging Zuko sharply with his elbow.

“Uh, yes, um,” Zuko stammered, eyes flicking around nervously before fixing his gaze on Katara. “You look beautiful, Katara,” he said sincerely.

Katara felt her face flush and her heart jump slightly. The compliment seemed much less amusing from Zuko. “I - thank you,” Katara managed.

Iroh chuckled at Katara’s meek response. “May we join you at your table?” he prompted.

Katara jumped slightly, embarrassed that she hadn’t offered earlier.

“Of course, of course, please,” she said, gesturing towards the seats beside her.

Iroh sat himself between Katara and Zuko as he began gushing to Katara about his new tea shop in Ba Sing Se.

“And how about you Miss Katara? How is life in the South Pole treating you?” Iroh asked.

“It’s good,” Katara said. “I’ve been helping rebuild some of the city and train some of the waterbenders. Both boys and girls are included in all waterbending disciplines now,” she said proudly.

“My, what an achievement!” Iroh enthused. “It is difficult to adjust such traditions.”

“Yes,” Katara said, her tone taking on a hesitant edge that did not go unnoticed by Iroh.

“What is it Miss Katara?” he asked. “I may be an old man but I have some wisdom to offer that may be useful.”

“I’m just...working on where my place is,” she said carefully. “Sokka is son of the chief, so he’s taking on similar responsibilities to Dad. Pakku is here with my Gran Gran and continues to teach the majority of the waterbending. The city is mainly rebuilt. I’m not sure what I can offer that they don’t already have here. I used to be on the frontline of all of the work rebuilding the world… but I gave that up.”

“Ah, you are referring to your romantic relationship with the Avatar?” Iroh asked.

Katara cringed slightly as the conversation moved into uncomfortable territory. “Yes, but I didn’t feel like I personally was contributing much. I’m just not sure what my next move is.”

Iroh’s eyes lit up.

“Miss Katara, as fate would have it I may be able to offer a solution to your current predicament! My nephew has an interesting proposition for you. Zuko is actually looking for ambassadors from different nations to work together on some international relations between the Fire Nation and their respective nations. You would be just perfect for the job.”

Katara looked over at Zuko who nodded.

It was an attractive proposition. Her own position as THE ambassador for the Southern Water Tribe, working with other like-minded people to forge better international relations, but...

“It’s based in the Fire Nation?”

Iroh turned to Zuko who had taken a backseat in the conversations so far, signalling him to take over.

“Yes,” Zuko replied, rubbing the back of his head nervously, “but since it would involve the communications of your tribe’s best interests you could split your time between there and here, if you wanted.”

Katara nodded slowly as she took it all in. She hadn’t thought about leaving the South Pole….but did she really want to stay there forever?

“You don’t have to give an answer right now,” Zuko said, eager not to put pressure on her.

“Have a think about it, Miss Katara,” Iroh said kindly, patting her hand. “We would be most gratified should you choose to accept but it is entirely up to you.” He caught eyes with Kanna across the room. “Please excuse me, I must greet your grandmother,” he said, rising from his seat. “It was a pleasure speaking with you, I am sure we shall speak later.” He bowed and left the table.

Katara and Zuko were left alone.

“Sorry about that,” Zuko said. “I mean, not sorry for offering you the role, you’d be perfect, but I didn’t want to talk all business at your brother’s wedding. Uncle got a bit carried away again.”

Katara smiled, “No no, thank you for the offer. I’m flattered. It’s given me a lot to think about.”

There was a pause in the conversation.

“I’m sorry about you and Aang,” Zuko said after a beat.

“Don’t be. At all. Really,” Katara emphasised. “But thank you. It was...I ended it. It wasn’t right.”

Zuko nodded, looking thoughtful.

“Could Mai not make it tonight?” Katara asked.

“She left,” Zuko said curtly.

“Oh..I’m sorry,” Katara said.

“Don’t be,” Zuko said, and turned to smile at her. “But thank you.”

Katara smiled back at him in mutual understanding.

 

***

The next morning Katara stood in the kitchen stirring their morning stew with her waterbending thoughtfully, the movements of the liquid lulling her into a meditative state.

Hakoda entered the room. “Morning Katara,” he said, as he sat down.

“Morning, Dad,” she replied with a smile. “I’ve got breakfast ready.”

She bent the liquid into a bowl and passed it over. He smiled at her casual use of waterbending as he took it with a murmur of thanks. “Your mother would be so proud of the accomplished water bender you have become.”

Katara was caught off guard slightly at the sincere compliment caused by nothing but her making breakfast. She supposed everyone must be feeling a bit emotional after the wedding. “Thanks, Dad.” She smiled and sat down opposite him.

Best to get directly to the point. “I’ve been offered a role as the Southern Water Tribe ambassador in the Fire Nation.”

Hakoda raised his eyebrows in surprise. “What an honour,” he said.

Katara’s lips quirked at his choice of words. “It is. I’m going to take it,” she said, watching his face to gauge his reaction.

Hakoda paused for a moment, then smiled. “Of course. I know you have been restless here. Your talents should be out there in the world, helping as many people as possible. Not just used for making us all breakfast,” he said, smiling playfully.

Katara felt relieved. She stood up to leave but Hakoda stood and pulled her to him in a big hug before she could.

“We will miss you but they couldn’t have chosen better. I am proud for you to represent our tribe,” he said.

Katara felt tears prick her eyes at his words. “Thanks Dad,” she said, the reply muffled by his fur coat. She pulled away. “I’ll come back every so often since I’ll need to liaise with you and Sokka anyway.”

Hakoda smiled widely. “Wonderful.”

***

In a few short weeks Katara found herself on a ship headed towards the Fire Nation, her heart soaring with freedom and purpose. She watched the white glaciers disappear with a twinge of sadness before turning her face to the distant horizon determinedly.

Across the water Zuko confirmed the final ambassador for his international relations council and turned to the window, eagerly anticipating the return of ocean eyes into his life.