Actions

Work Header

The McGarrett Sister

Summary:

Emily McGarrett leaves the Navy after her entire world is turned upside down.

Her brother, Commander Steve McGarrett, offers her a job on his task force in Hawaii.

Chapter Text

Emily McGarrett's POV

 

The first 3 'chapters' will be set before she is in Hawaii. It explains why she will be leaving the Navy. 

 

(( Teammates names': Joshua Tyler, Perry Smith, and Samuel(Sammy) Jax. They will mostly be mentioned in the next two chapters.))

 

The only things in italics are flashbacks or her thoughts.

 

 

3 weeks before Hawaii, Wednesday.

 

I was the last one out of the plane's doorway as we jump into the brisk air. We dropped on the deck of the large ship, each of us un-attaching the rope that kept us secure on the way down. We all drew our weapons and looked around the floating mystery.

 

It had been sitting in the relatively same area for two days, so they asked my team to come check it out. Walking quickly around the deck, I take notice that there seems to be no one around. My search of the main section of the ship begins shortly after. Glancing down a corridor, I find Jax looking at something.

 

"Jax, what are you doing? We need to hurry!" I whisper shouted, checking my surroundings. He turned around and revealed a man on the ground, dead. He was caucasian, had a twirly mustache, and his gunshot wound seemed to be self inflicted. But the most prominent feature about him, was the bomb attached to his chest. It had a timer, which wasn't a problem, the time itself is what made me internally gasp. 

 

2:54. 

 

"Abort mission, we have a bomb on the scene. T-minus two minutes and fifty seconds." 

 

I started the timer on my watch before looking to Jax, who nodded to the door. I followed, still on the look out.

 

"This is Command. Falcons, we have a helicopter hovering at your location, evacuate immediately."

 

"McGarrett to Falcons, are we ready?"

 

"Ready, McGarrett."

 

"Ready."

 

"......." I turned to Jax, but he just shrugged.

 

"Tyler, you son of a bitch, this is not the time to play games." We made our way to the helicopter, Smith was already there, looking tense. 

 

"Any eyes on Tyler?" He shook his head. "I'll be right back, leave if I'm not back in time." They stared at me. "That is an order. Understand?!" They both nodded with a 'yes ma'am.' I sprinted in the direction Tyler went. I spoke into my radio, "Turn on his beacon." Waiting for a response, I walk briskly down the stairs, gun in position to shoot.

 

"Yes ma'am." Three seconds later, I heard a beeping noise. I rushed towards the noise, only to find my best friend lying on the ground. He had fresh GSWs in his arm, stomach, and thigh. I gasp while rushing over to him.

 

"Tyler! Josh get up, we have to leave!" I stopped to press down on his chest wound, closing my eyes tightly. Blinking the tears away that seemed to form in my vision. Tyler opens his eyes.

 

"Emily, you have to leave me here, that bomb is going to go off soon. I can't let anything happen to you."

 

Going to reply, I open my mouth, but am cut short when I hear a clanging behind me. I turned, raising my gun quickly. I find a man with a military-grade weapon, but he was definitely not military.

 

"You should have stayed away." He had a deep foreign accent, but spoke English well.

 

He held up his weapon, ready to fire. But before he could do anything, I shot him directly between the eyes. I then turned back to Tyler, who was fading in and out. 

 

"Emily you need to leave. Your brother would kill me if I let you die down here." He chuckled half-heartedly and flinched at the pain.

 

"Shut up, Joshua. We are leaving." 

 

I carefully sling his arm over my shoulder and hurry to the helicopter. The rope was still down, but we were running out of time.

 

"Send down a basket!" I yelled up, and a few seconds later, there is one coming out of the helicopter door. Once it reached us, I strap Tyler into it. Just as I am about to yell up, I see his eyes started to close. "Tyler! Do not close your eyes!" I attached the rope to my waist and was brought up, Tyler making it at the same time. Glancing at the watch on my wrist, my eyes widened. "Go, as fast as this thing can take it." There were only ten seconds left until that bomb went off, we wouldn't make it away from the blast radius, but we would make it away from the boat.

 

I turned back to Tyler as he started to drift away again. I pressed my hands to his stomach wound again, gesturing for Smith to get the one on his shoulder. Jax was already tying a tourniquet around his leg.

 

The sudden blast made us all jerk forward.

 

"Tyler! Keep your eyes open!" I see that yelling wasn't doing much, but I could barely breathe anymore, my throat was closing in and my eyes were welling with tears. It seemed that screaming was my best option, "Josh, stay awake. Please?" He opened his eyes, but his eyelids were becoming heavy again. He gripped onto my hand tightly as the pilot began to ready our landing by circling our ship.

 

"You're my best friend Emily, but I want you to know that I love you." He blinked quickly before his eyes close completely. Smith felt for his pulse, only to come up empty. I sat back in my seat, glaring at my blood-covered hands.

 

I held myself together, and it looked like the boys were too. We all just sat there, staring at Josh as we landed on the ship.

 

The pilots left, the helicopter blades stopped spinning, the ship's lights were turned on, but we all just sat still, staring at our best friend. Finally, our Commander came out of the ship's core. 

 

"We have lost a great life today. I hope all is well." I wanted to scream at him, tell him that nothing was 'well,' because my best friend just died. But I was not going to yell at him, probably not a good idea, especially when I had emotions running everywhere. We were one of his best SEAL teams, so he lost something too.

 

We all nodded anyway, but the Commander continued,"There will be words said tomorrow, and the service will be Monday. I will inform his fami-"

 

"Sir, may I call? They, uh, they know me." He nods and walks away, but turns back before entering the ship again.

 

"I am truly sorry for your loss, Falcons." I cringed as he said the team name. He didn't understand that there wasn't a team without Tyler.

 

I turned to the other two, they looked conflicted between crying and screaming. Suddenly, both of them got up at the same time, but only Smith looked to me. Jax had his gaze on Josh, a distant look in his eyes. "We need to go, Emily." I nodded.

 

"I just need a minute." They nodded and left. Looking back to Tyler again, I sighed. "You were right, Josh. Steve would have probably killed you if you let me die. But, then I would be with you." I chuckled dryly, looking at the defeated expression etched onto his face. 

 

The smile he gave me before, it was still evident. Giving another sigh, I opened up the pocket on my left chest. Pulled out the contents and laughed slightly, realizing the plastic gold star was still in with the mix of things.

 

Josh had given it to me after we graduated and became SEALs. It was extremely stupid, and it only makes me sad now. I told him my first goal was to receive a gold star. So, Josh bought me this cheap plastic as a joke, but it made me laugh.

 

I looked at my photos, one of My Dad, Steven, Mary, and I, one of Catherine and I, one of the team, and a few of Tyler and I.

 

There was one that was old, at least 5 years ago, but it was my favorite picture. It was Tyler and I in front of our new plane. I was on his back, my arms latched around his neck and his arms under my knees.

 

We were in the middle of a long laugh at the camera-man, Smith. But Jax was making faces behind him, which had only caused our smiles to grow larger. We were so happy, I wish I could go back there, even for a second.

 

I sighed as a tear rolled down my face, others quickly following. After a few minutes of crying silently, I wiped my face and looked to the door, the medics were waiting to take him away. I place the items back in the pocket. Leaning down, I kissed his forehead before I moved back to my previous position.

 

"A hui hou."(until we meet again) I take one last look at Josh while smiling a teary smile.

 

I got up and made my way to the doors. I nodded to the medics, who dashed to Josh as I walked away. Sniffling, I wipe my eyes and hope there is no evidence of my tears. Making my way back to the bunks, I find Smith and Jax already there.

 

They pulled me into a group hug after I closed the door. I held in my tears once again, but gave them the best fake smile that I could muster.  

 

"Are you okay, Emily?" I chuckled humorlessly.

 

"Yeah, I'm just fine. It's not like I just lost my best friend or anything!" I yelled at Jax, I never do that. I sigh, going to apologize, but he shakes his head in understanding. 

 

"See you all in the morning." I didn't mean to sound pushy, but that's what happened. They nodded and left.

 

I went to sleep that night looking at the bunk across the room and missing my best friend.

 

--------------------------------------------------

Thursday.

 

Arriving at the landing deck, we all stood silently in salute while waiting for the ceremony to begin. Many already knew of the incident, while others had no idea. 

 

Suddenly, Commander Johnson came in front of us. "Yesterday at...... terrible accident... Joshua Tyler... missed dearly......" My brain only listened to half of the speech, knowing that Joshua wouldn't want this at his funeral, he would want simple and very few people. He didn't like recognition, being in the spotlight was something he despised so much, I ca-- Commander Johnson interrupted my thoughts.

 

"Falcons could you come up? Everyone else is dismissed." I looked to the Commander and gave him a slight glare. We walked up and stood next to him, but there was another man up here as well, one I hadn't seen before. "The Falcons will never be the same without Lieutenant Joshua Tyler, but we have to keep doing our jobs. Here is your new team member, Joseph Allen." I scoffed, Smith glared at Joseph, and Jax started to walk away. "This is not a choice, Allen is joining the Falcons." I turned on my heel, following in the direction Jax went.

 

I called over my shoulder before I had walked three steps away, "You cannot replace my best friend, Commander."

 

"I didn't, I just moved the healing process along quicker." I glared at him once again, ready to scream.

 

Making my way back to the bunks, I pulled out my sat-phone, finally deciding to make the call that I had been dreading.

 

I sigh before typing in the digits that were carved into my brain. Trying to hold myself together as I heard the line crackle was harder than I could ever imagine.

 

"Hello?" 

 

"Mrs. Tyler, it's Emily McGarrett." She gasped in recognition.

 

"Emily, dear, it has been too long. And how many times have I told you to call me Jill? When do you think you and Josh can come home to visit?" I let a few tears roll down my cheek.

 

"There's actually something that I need to tell you first." 

 

"Sweetie, what is it? You can tell me." It was in this moment that I was wishing Commander Johnson had made the call instead.

 

"Uh.. last night we were completing an op, and Josh," I paused to take a breath, feeling the betrayal of tears down my face. "Josh, he-uh he was shot three times by an insurgent." She gasped,"He fought hard and made it back to the ship, but he, uh, he didn't make it. I am truly sorry for your loss, Mrs. Tyler." 

 

I thought by calling her Mrs. would make it less personal. That somehow, it would make it hurt less. I was wrong.

 

The phone she was holding hit the ground a few seconds later, clanking against the hardwood floors of my childhood. Sobbing could be heard loudly in the background, but just as I was about to hang up, another voice came from the other end.

 

"Emily?" My heart shattered into a million pieces, with only one word, my name. It was Avery, Tyler's 14 year old sister. "Are you there?"

 

"Avery! It's so good to speak with you." She giggled, but it wasn't real.

 

"Could you tell me why my mom is crying?" Avery was a smart girl, and I assumed she already had assumptions herself, she just needed to hear it from my mouth. 

 

"Avery. Sweetie, I'm so sorry." I gulped in a breath of air, tears falling quickly as I heard this little girl's heart break with the next sentence. "Your brother was killed last night." 

 

Before I could go further into detail, the phone let out another thud. Avery must have dropped it too. 

 

After waiting five more minutes, I decided they didn't want to talk anymore, or must have assumed the phone broke. I snapped the sat-phone closed and stared at the wall in front of me.

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

7:00 Monday morning.

 

The team was to arrive at our old hometown late Sunday night, but I had been here since early Saturday morning.

 

The service begins in 20 minutes and I couldn't bring myself to speak to the Tyler's before today. I sat in my hotel room all weekend, missing my best friend.

 

But this morning, I dressed in my uniform, whether I was ready to face them or not.

 

It was not an open casket ceremony. They had decided it wasn't appropriate, especially with the GSWs. Though they were unnoticeable, it was still too much.

 

Meeting my team at the plane yesterday was the hardest, we stood at salute as other soldiers walked his casket to the car, the flag placed over it, flapping lightly in the wind. I had let out a few tears and almost screamed when one of the soldiers that was carrying him, tripped over a small rock.

 

I walked into the gates of the cemetery, it was medium-sized, made for soldiers. I examined the white tent. Under it was the hole in the ground, right where my best friend would go.