Actions

Work Header

Young Castlevania

Chapter 11: Horrible, Terrible

Chapter Text

        Trevor’s elation at surviving the attack had disappeared as they’d passed through the city. He hadn’t dared open his eyes to peek - the stench had been horrible. Adrian had gagged and Sypha had gone quiet and still. Only once they’d successfully passed through the city and left it behind had the young vampire broken their silence.

        “Sorry,” he quietly said, “but what were your names again?” Trevor cocked his head to see the boy. Oh, he was talking to the older boys. The white haired boy looked back at them as their demon horses clip clopped onward.

        “I’m Hector,” he re-introduced himself before gesturing ahead to his companion. “This is Isaac.”

        “Can I ask you a question?”

        “Of course,” Hector replied.

        “Where did my father get the demons?” Adrian asked.

        “And why’re you working with them?” Trevor decided to ask. “I mean, I’m pretty sure you guys are human, right?” Hector nodded. “Then why’re you working for Dracula? My dad said that he wants to kill everyone!” Hector slowed his demon horse and looked between the two of them. The older boy hesitated and then sighed.

        “Humans... They’re like animals.” What? That got Sypha’s attention and the girl sat straighter as she crossed her arms.

        “No we’re not!” She told him.

        “You take that back! My mom’s not an animal!” Adrian’s sudden anger made Trevor look ahead at him. Wait, mother? But his dad was Dracula, how-?

        “I didn’t mean your mother,” Hector quickly assured the boy. “I mean, well, other people.”

        "How could you think that? We're nothing like animals!" Sypha insisted.

        "Not you." the older boy said. "It's-" He sighed. "It's complicated."

        "It sounds stupid," Trevor told him. That got him an offended, startled look. "Some people are animals, yeah-"

        "Trevor!" Sypha spun to face him.

        "They killed my dad!" Trevor told her. "And some of them wanted to kill your tribe, too! Some people are animals, but there were other people who wanted to save the Speakers!"

        "Hector, why are you trying to explain?" Isaac had turned back to face Hector. "They're going to die anyway."

        "You are both horrible, terrible people! I don't want to talk to you anymore!" Sypha crossed her arms and looked away from the older boys.

        "You... You never answered my question," Adrian spoke up in the abrupt silence. "Father said it would take him a year to get his army of demons. How does he have so many of them now?" Trevor carefully leaned to the side to look at the boy.

        "What're you talking about?" he asked.

        "Your father succeeded in his goal, just as he will now," Isaac said.

        "But how? Mom-" Adrian's face scrunched up and for a moment Trevor thought the boy was about to cry. "It only happened... happened last night. He said it would take a year!" Trevor didn't understand what he was talking about. By the startled look on Hector's face, he did.

        "Adrian..." The teen briefly chewed at his lip, his posture screaming uncomfortable awkwardness now. "That was a year ago."

        "I don't get it," Trevor spoke up. "What do you mean?" The smaller boy looked increasingly upset.

        "Stop lying!" he snapped at the two teens. "My mom, she- she died last night!"

        "We're not lying, son of Dracula." The taller boy told him. "It has been a year since your mother was murdered." Murdered?

        "No it hasn't, mom taught me how to count! I was born in 1456 and I'm eight!" He held up his hands and counted off the years for them. "It's 1464!"

        "No, it's not," Trevor spoke up. "They're not lying. It's 1465."

        "But... But... That can't be," Adrian said, his voice going small. "I'm eight. Mom, she... She..." Shit. The boy's voice was going wobbly.

        "Ithinkweshouldgetsomesleep," Trevor rushed his idea out. Everyone but Adrian looked at him in confusion. "It's still dark out. We didn't get any sleep. I think we should!"

        "Dracula ordered that his son be returned to him." Isaac said.

        "By when? If he didn't say, that's his fault. I, for one," he faked a yawn, "am tired." Sypha hesitated before faking one as well.

        "Yes." The girl agreed. "I am as well. The prophecy didn't say we had to face Dracula immediately. We should get some sleep."

        "No. We-" Trevor interrupted the older teen.

        "A nap, then." God, suggesting it made him feel like a little kid. He looked between Isaac and Adrian as pointedly as he could. He was relieved to see that Hector looked troubled. "Come on. Just a short one."

        "I agree," Hector said. Yes! "Dracula would want his son to be in good health. They should rest for a while." Isaac's face was a rigid mask of frustration. "It won't be long," the other teen assured him. Not waiting for his reply, Trevor crawled off the demon horse as Sypha slid down to join him.