Actions

Work Header

Your Eyes Tell

Chapter 8: tristeza

Summary:

Lance huffed and rolled his eyes at her antics, a smile nevertheless blooming on his face to match hers. He felt Hunk shaking with laughter on his other side.

And yet … he couldn’t help, but think that Layla especially looked familiar ever since they found her. He ignored the feeling and his instinctive sense every time, but what if Pidge was right? What if he really married and loved someone that he already knew? Ezra’s hazel eyes didn’t ring any bells and he couldn’t remember having a relative with hazel eyes, but maybe that someone that he was looking for had black hair and hazel eyes? Perhaps he even fell in love with an alien and the human genetics dominated? Lance almost groaned in frustration at every possibility and theory that could be the actual truth. He wished that Pidge didn’t mess his head even more with all these assumptions on his future.

Notes:

LET ME JUST SAY, BEFORE YOU GUYS COME AT ME TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR NOT POSTING FOR SO LONG — I'M REALLY FUCKING SORRY? 🥺 look, i know that i took so long but I did tell you my beautiful angels, that i have my exams which are really REALLY importaint for my future! so the whole month of may i was busy with studying, and prom planning and basically i didn't have ANY time to write!

BUT!! THE GOOD NEWS ARE : I DID AMAZINGLY ON MY EXAMS! 💞✨ hopefully i can get into good unis with those grades and i just said that so you all could be proud of me and not hate me for not posting! i also bought myself a new laptop so EEEK for that too! 🥰 ily babies!!

this chapter i wrote in like,, a week?? and idk if it's good and originally it was gonna be longer but i felt so bad for y'all and how long i was taking so i was said to myself "fuck it" and now there you go! ✨ i hope u like it and prepare for some angst as always :')) this time is a rollercoaster xoxo

enjoy! 💘

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter eight

tristeza

 

 

Lance startled, body jumping for what it felt like a millionth time tonight as yet another explosion filled up the screen on his mini tablet.

 In reality, he shouldn’t have put an Altean action movie before he went to sleep. If the movies back on Earth were bad when it came to this genre, then those Alteans were even worse. Every scene barely had any characters interacting—and if they did—most chances were that it would end up in a fight, guns blazing and bombs falling out of the sky. For a very peaceful, diplomatic race, they sure loved to destroy a lot of shit in their films. And do it in the most brutal, gruesome and bloody ways. Even Pidge couldn’t handle the amount of violence on one movie night where they gathered together on the couch.

 But Lance didn’t have many options whatsoever, and the silence in his room was too unsettling for him, and the thoughts in his head were too loud and too fast for him to catch onto at least one of them. The decision to watch a movie only so he can distract himself from his heavy brain wasn’t an unknown concept to Lance. And it usually worked, but it was obvious that tonight nothing would pull him away from his own head.

 With a sigh, he turned off the device and threw it somewhere at the end of his bed. There was no point to even pretend that he’d been paying any sort of attention.

 His eyes slid shut and images from the day attacked him one by one, flashing like film strips behind his lids.

 Keith glowing like a star under the Yek’hitian sunrise.

 Waking Layla up so she can have breakfast in bed with them both together.

 The tour across the city and its beautiful sights, inviting Lance in and the even more beautiful natives, flying around with their butterfly wings. Some even sparkled, but after some observation it turned out to just be a fashion trend among them.

 The clothing boutique and the … dressing room.

 Lance’s breath tripped on itself as he reminisced the memory.

 Fuck, he had almost kissed Keith like the idiot he was. A lovesick, selfish idiot who had no care for the consequences of his actions as always. And the fact that the Red Paladin didn’t look against it either was almost too heartbreaking as it was perfect. Because if there was a slight chance that Keith might feel the same towards him, then Lance was truly in deep shit.

 Because if he chose Keith—then that would mean he chose someone over his own children and Lance would never live with himself if that happened.

 Children.

 Because Layla, as he incorrectly assumed, wasn’t his only child.

 Then the image of his son attacked him and Lance opened his eyes to stare up at the ceiling, despair clutching his heart. And it wasn’t despair because of the reveal that he had another kid. No, Ezra seemed like the sweetest boy ever and Lance loved him from the very first moment he saw him and realized he was Layla’s brother. No, it was despair, because now he had his two children—that were supposed to be in the future where they belonged—here with him and one of them was a goddamn teenager just like him. Ezra never specified his age, but there was no need to, since it was painfully obvious.

 He looked so much like him and Lance was once again reminded that Layla didn’t. Layla was the other piece of the future, the one that would tell him about whom he possibly married or at least had kids together with. Although it didn’t sound like him to have little ones before marrying to the love of his life. Those were, at least, his dreams and the things he had hoped to obtain in the future.

 Lance grumbled in displeasure from the small headache that was present ever since Ezra arrived and was about to turn off the lights, perhaps even call it a night and try to sleep, when there was a hesitant knock on his door.

 He furrowed his brows.

 “Yes?” Lance called out, wary of whoever must’ve been on the other side at such a late time.

 There was a second of silence.

 “Uh, hey buddy! It’s me … uhh … with Pidge.”

 The Blue Paladin sighed at that, but he felt his lips forming into a smile as he got up from his bed, only to open the door for Hunk and Pidge who seemed sheepish under his gaze and were dressed up in their respective paladin pajamas. Each of them was holding their pillows which earned them a skeptical look from Lance.

 “And what is this supposed to be?”

 Pidge raised her own brows in response, looking like she was ready to facepalm at Lance’s question. She was dressed in an oversized green shirt that reached her knees and long pajama bottoms with weird shapes as imprints. Her glasses were gone and her hair was now long enough to be styled into two tiny pigtails. “Isn’t it obvious, Gonzo? It’s sleepover time—now move.”

 With that she passed by his side and entered straight into his room. Lance’s eyes followed her as Pidge plopped onto his bed after she dropped her pillow, snuggling under the blankets. Hunk didn’t wait another moment to stand outside and got in as well leaving Lance to close the door after them. “Gonzo? Did you seriously compare me to a Muppet?”

 Pidge only shrugged at that, making grabby hands at Lance’s tablet which he had previously thrown away. Hunk climbed into the bed as well and grabbed the device for her. Lance watched his best friends in amusement, huffing when they left a space in the middle just for him. He wouldn’t have admitted, but he did need the support and love of Hunk and Pidge after this long day full of so many confusing and tiring emotions. Lance was just happy he had people in his life who seemed to sense whenever he needed them the most.

 “C’mon buddy! Get in!” Encouraged Hunk with a pat on the sheets, a wide smile on his face. Lance didn’t know how Hunk managed to stay in the mood and not want to drop dead after everything that happened. “We’ll watch a movie or just talk. Maybe even do face masks if you’re up to it!”

 The idea of chilling in a face mask did sound tempting to Lance, but the amount of exhaustion that was pulling his bones was stronger so he shook his head. “Perhaps another time. I am a bit tired.”

 Hunk nodded in agreement along with Pidge who stretched her body and hands like some cat, yawning loudly which caused a chain reaction.

 “Today really was a long day,” Pidge admitted and scooted further as Lance made his way towards the bed. He tried to fit in the middle which was hard as usual since his bed wasn’t obviously made for three people. But he never had it in himself to mind. He grew up in a house with four siblings and his two nephews so Lance was used to not having enough space in a bed and the overwhelming warmth under the covers. In fact, he welcomed the feeling with open arms. Since Layla—and now Ezra—had arrived, Lance didn’t spend much of his time crying and missing his home and family as he simply didn’t have the time. The week in which his daughter was here was definitely an experience filled with taking care of Layla and watching over her attacks. He didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing, but it kept his buzzing head in place.

 A comfortable silence followed. Hunk moved a little and soon his head fell on Lance’s shoulder. Hunk was an amazing big spoon, but he did love to be held sometimes which Lance provided anytime his best friend wanted. Pidge like always took Lance’s right hand and made herself cuddle onto his side—her small head laying on his chest. A lot of people (and aliens, he guessed) liked to think Pidge was cold-hearted, too honest or too brash. Which wasn’t a complete lie, but Lance would never call her heartless or a cruel girl who only cared about her machines and science.

 In a lot of ways, Pidge reminded him of Keith. Once they let you in their heart—they showed a whole new part of themselves, filled with love and care. Feeling a surge of affection towards the Green Paladin, Lance squeezed her a little closer to him. Pidge must’ve noticed because she let out a hum that vibrated through his body.

 “How are you feeling?” She asked, sleepiness tainted in her tone. “Now that all of your kids are here. Well … at least that’s what we think. I won’t be surprised if you have more in storage in the future. You’re like one of those family guys who want twenty kids or something.”

 Hunk laughed. “That’s true. In fact, I’ll be surprised if Ezra and Layla are the only children you have.”

 Lance let out a snort and looked up at the ceiling for a millionth time tonight. “Yeah, I’ve always wanted a big family, but you do know I possibly have a partner in the future, right? Maybe they wanted a small family or maybe I’m the one who suggested to have only two.”

 His imagination ran wild at the thought of a partner.

 I want Keith to be my partner. His mind whined like a little kid like it was denied a candy. I want Keith.

 “Who knows,” Lance sighed and shrugged lightly. “All this time travel and future theories have been killing me. On one hand I desperately need to know everything that’ll happen. Do we go back to Earth soon? Is this prince Lotor dangerous? Will we always be paladins of Voltron? Has someone from my family died while I was gone? Or …”

 Lance’s throat suddenly felt on fire, a fire that kept him from continuing. He didn’t want to choke up and get tearful in front of his friends, or worry them with his insecurities and fears.

 “Or if we’re all alive in the future,” he managed to choke out. He sniffed as quietly as he could although he knew every sound could be heard right now in this room in which felt like time itself had stopped. “But then on the other hand, I don’t want to know anything.” Lance breathed in. “Because if I hear from Layla or Ezra that something terrible will happen I’m going to be spending all my time here trying to prevent it from occurring.”

 This time the silence wasn’t comfortable since now Lance polluted the friendly atmosphere with his depressing words and sour mood. The silence was heavy and with every second that passed, it felt that Pidge and Hunk simply didn’t have what to say. Or maybe they fell asleep in the midst which would’ve hurt Lance more than he’d like to admit.

 But soon, Pidge was the first one who shifted under his arm and sighed sadly. “I know how you feel. Whenever I look at them I want to ask about Matt and dad. But also, if my mom is alive.”

 “Same. I hope my parents are alive and healthy.” Hunk suddenly joined, whispering. “But you remember how Layla said even the slightest changes can change the future? It means that if you hear something bad happens—you can’t do much, Lance. Who knows? Maybe you will end up making it worse.”

 “I know,” Lance sighed. Hunk never failed at his mission of being the voice of the reason in their little friend group. “I just hope this whole thing is over soon. This war is not a good place for kids who probably grew up in peaceful times.”

 At least, Lance hoped the future was peaceful. Except for an unwanted or unexpected pregnancy, he couldn’t think of a situation in which he’d bring a child into a world that wasn’t safe or free from this bloody war.

 “Hey, Lance,” Pidge spoke up and Lance turned his head to her. “Who do you think is the other parent of Ezra and Layla? Do they look like someone familiar to you? Maybe it’s a classmate from the Garrison or …” Then she gasped and tapped his chest excitedly with her hand, evident excitement in her eyes that stared up at him hopefully. As if she could help him with one of the mysteries that Lance received headaches over. Something in him swelled at her hopeful caramel eyes. “Oh! Oh! Wait I got it! Maybe it’s someone from Cuba? Some friend from your childhood? Maybe your mom set you up with someone and you went along with it—and then bam. You’re in love and have two beautiful kids!”

 Lance huffed and rolled his eyes at her antics, a smile nevertheless blooming on his face to match hers. He felt Hunk shaking with laughter on his other side.

 And yet … he couldn’t help, but think that Layla especially looked familiar ever since they found her. He ignored the feeling and his instinctive sense every time, but what if Pidge was right? What if he really married and loved someone that he already knew? Ezra’s hazel eyes didn’t ring any bells and he couldn’t remember having a relative with hazel eyes, but maybe that someone that he was looking for had black hair and hazel eyes? Perhaps he even fell in love with an alien and the human genetics dominated? Lance almost groaned in frustration at every possibility and theory that could be the actual truth. He wished that Pidge didn’t mess his head even more with all these assumptions on his future.

 Thankfully, the next words that came out of Pidge switched the topic rather quickly.

 “Ey, Hunk! Do you think you and Shay get married in the future? And have kids together?”

 “What?!” Hunk exclaimed and raised his head up to glare at Pidge who started cackling at his expression. Lance couldn’t help, but join. “Don’t bring my future into this! We’re talking about Lance right now, this isn’t fair!”

 “Oh, it’s absolutely fair! You guys are so gross together, it’s unbelievable,” Pidge said and rolled her eyes, but Lance knew it was all theatrics. Everyone on the Castle adored Shay and Hunk together and agreed that if soulmates existed—they’d definitely fit the description. Even Lance, ever the romantic, could barf whenever he’d stumbled on his best friend face-timing his girlfriend-but-not-really. “Next time she calls you should totally ask her to be your girlfriend!”

 “Pidge, shut up!” Hunk spluttered and soon enough, the girl was hit in the face with one of Lance’s pillows mid laughter.

 But Pidge was stubborn and just as violent now so she grabbed the pillow Hunk had thrown and attacked the Yellow Paladin whilst screaming, “Hunk and Shay sitting on a rock! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

 Frankly, Lance didn’t try to stop Hunk from hurling yet another pillow at Pidge. She usually was pretty annoying when it came to crushes, constantly teasing and smirking.

 But suddenly Pidge’s knee came in a pretty harsh contact with his groin and Lance couldn’t help himself as he yelled out in pain as if a Galra had shot him with a blaster.

 “Pidge, I will murder you,” Lance hissed through teeth, the pain shocking every part of his bone. At least she seemed pretty apologetic when she looked down on him—eyes full of regret and sympathy. Perhaps she knew how much it pained whenever you hit a guy there, considering she had a brother who was probably yet another obnoxiously genius and a nerd like her. Lance’s groans, however, were the perfect distraction.

 In a negative time (with Lance internally thanking for all the paladin training that allowed him to pull off moves like these), the Blue Paladin grabbed her body and threw her in the air with Pidge’s high-pitched screams bouncing off the walls of his room.

 “Hunk! Now!” Lance yelled at the moment Pidge’s body thumped on his bed. His best friend seemed to know exactly what to do which was crush Pidge’s shrieking face and smother her with the pillow. Lance didn’t waste any time with his tickle attack and soon enough Pidge was crying screeching, body trashing around and Lance’s ears filled with the beautiful sounds of his best friends laughing.

 And maybe, it was when they finally got tired and fell asleep in a mess of their limbs—Lance with a smile on his face—that he came onto the realization that if he was too stuck on the future, he’d miss all the moments like these that would make it worth it later on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

It was approximately two hours after midnight since this meeting had started and Lance was way too sleep deprived for him to deal with all the annoying aliens that were swarming the council room at the Altean Castle.

 Many of them were standing up, arguing between themselves over stupid things instead of thinking about all the ways they could bring Ezra and Layla back to him. Back to where they belonged. And usually, Lance himself would be in the heat of the argument and maybe if everything in his life wasn’t completely shattering like broken glass, he’d have the energy to punch or threaten the few aliens just for the pure audacity to think that his own children should be punished when they get back just because they used the Time Travel Prototypes. And if Lance wasn’t so fucking exhausted—then he’d fight better for his kids. He knew that right now they needed him the most; they needed Papá Lance to come and save them, think of a solution and make everything better with a smile on his face just as always. It’s what they deserved, because they were everything good in the world to him, but right now … Lance didn’t know if he could give it to them.

 He was so, so tired. Every part of himself felt vacant of life and power even though his hands haven’t stopped shaking for the past three days. And without Keith next to him to light up even the darkest corners of his mind, Lance’s brain was headed into a path that he’d left a long time ago.

 He had tuned out the screaming ever since it erupted and only stared at the same dot for perhaps an hour now. Lance didn’t know, nor he frankly cared. It seemed to be a simple chore to care about other things that weren’t Keith and the kids. He hasn’t gotten a good night’s sleep either, the same horrible nightmares haunting him again and again giving him no rest. Same went for every thought and scary scenario that crossed his mind every single time he zoned out. Visions of Ezra and Layla screaming out for help, crying for him and Keith, but Keith is either dead or gone, with Lance left alone, stuck on the ground, helpless to watch his worst fears display every time he dared to shut his eyes for a second.

 He blinked abruptly as if waking up from a dream when a cold, slender hand made contact with his own fists that were laying on the table before him. At first Lance could only see the thousands of reports and devices until he noticed the unmistakable royal hand that belonged to Allura.

 He tried not to look at the silver wedding ring surrounding his finger.

 Lance looked on his right; to look at her only to see sympathy and millions of apologies written on her face and eyes. “I am sorry, Lance,” she said, her voice clear and gentle even when the yelling somehow turned louder. “I thought this would help, but … I must’ve made a mistake when I asked them all to come here.”

 She finished her apology with a small squeeze that warmed the cold ice that had seeped into the core of his heart. Then she went for a smile, maybe with the thought that it’d comfort him, but it looked wrong on her face; resembling a grimace more than anything. Lance appreciated it regardless and returned the gesture as he fitted his hand to cradle hers. She looked perfect as ever, maybe to the public eye and to those who only knew her from the universal news, videos and pictures. But Lance could see the little signs—like how her small golden tiara had slipped on the side, the red lines in her eyes caused by those sleepless nights, the tiny wrinkles on her dress that she would’ve noticed and fixed by now and the hair that was not as well combed, messy strands falling in her eyes. Allura, and so were everyone that loved or were close to Ezra and Layla, faced the same faith as him.

 But Lance didn’t find any consolation in that. In fact, it made him feel worse.

 You could’ve prevented this, something wicked whispered in his ear. You should’ve seen this coming. You had to stop it before it was too late.

 The mass of voices escalated to its loudest, like a crescendo of a musical piece, but this one was not as enjoyable and made his headache even worse.

 Lance must’ve made a face that Allura noticed immediately and just as she was about to rise over from her chair, a purple hand stroke down loudly on the smooth surface of the table, the noise cutting short any type of sound. The echo of the impact travelled through everyone like a haunting ghost. All the aliens in the room turned heads and blinked owlishly. Some were sheepish that there had to be an intervention, some looked angry at the interruption and others seemed completely confused like they hadn’t even realized the amount of noise they’d been making.

 “Silence. Or I will ask for whoever is incapable of having a respectful conversation with all the other members of the ministry—to simply leave. We don’t tolerate this type of atrocity in our own home,” said Lotor, Prince Consort of Altea, his back straight and hands locked behind his back. The picture perfect of someone who received respect just with a look and never needed to raise his posh voice in order to be heard. “We have asked you all here to help someone who saved you decaphoebs ago; someone who poured his heart and soul into a war that wasn’t his. Someone who was just a child when they put on the paladin armor. All to save you, to save all of us, from my father and mother’s tyranny. So, show some respect to the Blue Paladin of Voltron who needs you now to save his own kids. Save your foolish and inconsequential fights for a time when children don’t need to be saved.”

 Lotor’s voice was like a motionless sea, steady and sure, without any suggestion that he was emotionally affected by this all, save for the emphasis on some of the words. But Lance knew him just as well as Allura. Even Lotor couldn’t hide the slightly clenched jaw or the tightening of his hands.

 “Those same children,” spat one female from the planet Moniri, her three eyes aflame with anger, “are the reason we might have another war.”

 Lance grid his teeth at the accusation, but Allura pressed down on his hand as if she sensed the rage building up inside him. He couldn’t say if she did that to restrict him from lunging across the table or to share with him the same anger that must’ve boiled the blood in Allura’s veins.

 “I completely see your point of view, Admiral Olphyra,” said Lotor with a slight bow of his head like he made a point not to miss the acknowledgment of her power and status in the room. Lance noticed how Olphyra immediately untensed and tilted her head upwards a little. Lotor never disappointed with his skill as a diplomat and talent to emotionally manipulate any crowd. Even with the years, Lance couldn’t master the amount of perfection Lotor practiced on the daily when it came to dealing with all kinds of emissaries. Right now, it was perfectly obvious about which tactic he used, although no one in the room caught it. “But I fail to see how discussing what punishments should await Ezra and Layla McClain is more important than bringing them back home.”

 ‘Make them think they’re better than you. Bow or look down in a sign of submission. Only the ignorant ones are willing to listen if you do this. Otherwise, they’d fight like stubborn and will turn against you. And you don’t want,’ Lotor had shared over dinner years ago while on a banquet with aliens who didn’t want any association with the Blade of Marmora despite the fact planet Gelia-9 desperately needed their help.

 Olphyra didn’t have an answer to Lotor’s words, mouth twitching in frustration, but at the end she sat down in her chair—a few of her supporters across the room following her example. Allura masked a smug cough behind her hand.

 “Perhaps we should ask what progress the Science Council has made in the three quintants since Ezra has left,” Allura then proposed, eyes flitting to the right corner of the table where Pidge, Hunk, Ryner and Naarya sat. Hunk had the unfortunate luck to be the one seated on Olphyra’s left and if Lance had the ability to smile or laugh, he would have when he saw the small, secret glare his best friend threw at her. “Do we have any information that could be helpful?”

 Pidge perked up in her seat, the glasses that were perched on top of her disheveled hair almost falling. Lance almost winced at the size of her eyebags, though he was sure he looked even worse. He hasn’t taken a proper shower ever since Layla left, always running on a meeting after meeting, cancelling classes back at the Garrison, denying the missions the Blade kept offering and scrapped all the diplomatic meetings he had to attend. Lance was just thankful Shiro and Allura understood and tried to help in any way.

 “After all the readings and data checks with the Science Council, it’s safe to say that the situation isn’t as bad as we thought,” Pidge said with Ryner nodding along. A spark of hope travelled through Lance’s body. “See, the thing is, the Time Travel Prototypes we created were just that—prototypes. We didn’t do any experiments yet, but now we have an actual proof that Ezra and Layla did travel in time. Which means that we’ve successfully created the first known Time Travel machine.”

 It should’ve been a happy moment, really. Pidge and the rest of the council have been working on time travelling for years now and this was an accomplished that took so much hard work, blood, sweat and tears. It wasn’t fair that they couldn’t celebrate this all just because Layla and Ezra decided to act like heroes.

 “To which we congratulate you greatly,” added king Lapsis disinterestedly, his tone bored and low. “But it doesn’t change the fact that Admiral Olphyra is right. The McClain children could change something in the past that would result in horrible consequences for us right now.”

 “If you could let me finish—” Pidge began, brows locked in frustration, with the face of someone who was ready to fight, but Hunk interrupted as always before she said something that could result in even more arguments.

 He gently grabbed the sleeve of her lab apron and tugged her down without protesting. “I think what Pidge, er … Miss Holt is trying to say is that after everything that has happened, we know that our machine was successful so we can just do the third one faster and more efficient than the first two.”

 “The only problem we face,” Ryner stepped in, “is the fact the machines Ezra and Layla used are machines that go only one way, meaning, that they can only travel once. Which means our new machine has to be the best and manage to travel to the past and back into this future timeline.”

 “And how exactly long will that take?” Asked angrily one representative of one of the planets that Lance didn’t bother to learn the name of. “The first two took you years! We can’t wait for that long! The universe is at stake!”

 “MY CHILDREN’S LIVES ARE AT STAKE!”

 Lance couldn’t even detect that those words that were just thrown like that, words made of hot and pure rage—came from him. Hot anger poured into him as he stood up quicker than a lightning, the chair behind him toppling backwards with the force. There was some sick satisfaction coating his tongue at the way everyone flinched from the sound of his voice. He had been quiet the whole night, carefully soaking up every petty word and every pretentious glance. But no more. Now he was going to talk; now Lance would be the one yelling.

 The whole room fell deadly silent with Lance’s ragged and heavy breathing as the only sound. Even Hunk looked slightly afraid of the monster that had been unleashed. This ugly monster that was just scared and ruined. Scared that he would never see Keith, Ezra and Layla again. Scared that this was it—all those happy years after the war—they were the only thing he’d ever get before the universe took it all from him.

 “My … my daughter,” Lance choked out, his vision getting blurry and hot from the tears that pooled his eyes, but he never took his gaze away from travelling to each and every alien that was seated around the table. They had to see what this was doing to him, what they were doing to him. “My Layla has the astarsis. And if she doesn’t receive her phoebe treatments on time, or if the pills end up not being enough … she’ll die.” Some sucked in a harsh, shocked breath. Ever since they learned about the disease, Lance and Keith never made a big deal out of it even though they were scared to death when it first happened. But the public was vicious sometimes and they had wanted to protect their girl from that. “And my boy Ezra,” Lance continued, trying not to cry when he remembered his sunshine son who always smiled and loved like he had two hearts instead of one. “He just got accepted into the Altean Healing Academy. He’s always wanted to help the others across the universe and save lives in a way that I could not.”

 Allura grabbed his hand again, squeezing it tenderly and when Lance took a look at her, she had tears streaming down her cheeks, mouth trembling in fear no matter how much she tried to hide it.

 He shut his eyes.

 “Queen Allura asked you to come here today, because you have the resources and the riches to help me and my children,” Lance said. “Please understand, they never did this with any malicious intentions, they just … they just wanted their dad back. Don’t hurt them.”

 At the mention of Keith, he almost broke down. He didn’t know he managed to not fall to the floor and cry in all these days, in this whole past month even, but now he felt his broken heart falling piece by piece on the ground. Lance was baring himself in front of them all, hoping that they’d understand. They’d remember that years ago they had a lot to lose, too. Lance understood the fear and the anger from the situation, after all, they had been under Galran rule far longer than these aliens and their people were free.

 “Me and my teammates, my husband, bled for your planets. We almost died to save you without asking for anything back,” Lance kept pressing on. A lot of them seemed to deflate under the weight of his speech, even Olphyra herself with a faraway look like she transferred herself into all those bloody battles where death and destruction reigned.

 “Your sacrifice will be for nothing, Blue Paladin, if those kids of yours do something they aren’t supposed to do or say,” one gravelly old voice hissed out from the back. Lance jerked his head and found Zatha, the religious leader of planet Yarruta. They were very skilled at nanotechnology and Lance knew from Pidge that most of the building materials for the tech came exactly from there. The people from Yarruta resembled all kinds of snakes which has always freaked out him and Layla. Keith and Ezra always made fun of them whenever he was forced to interact. Zatha resembled a cobra with a huge green hood and a tongue that swirled creepily over every word. “Of course, we shall bring them back, but there should be a severe punishment for when they come home. We have to make sure something like this doesn’t happen ever again.”

 “Those are kids, Elder Zatha,” Dr. Naarya growled, Galra fangs on display for everyone to see. “What has been done is done. You certainly can’t go back in time right now, but at least we can dictate our future. Instead of doing the work that needs to be done, you are here discussing what horrible things to do on two amazing humans.”

 “Humans that can ruin decades of peace,” argued another alien on Lotor’s right side oblivious to the nasty glare the prince sent to them.

 “I say we leave them in the Daibazaal wilderness,” chuckled the male alien seated next to Lance. He had noticed him the moment he entered the hall. It was hard not to since he was pretty tall, with a bulky muscular build that easily towered over Lotor’s, wearing a mischievous grin like one would wear a new expensive garment. Allura had whispered in his ear that it was the prince of some extremely rich planet that, surprisingly, wasn’t ever found by the Galra during the war. Lance had thought it was too suspicious—and a theory that they might have been working with them behind the Rebellion’s back was kept in his mouth. “This might teach them a little lesson, huh?”

 Silence swept over the room. Everything and everyone stilled as if the time itself had stopped to listen and observe.

 It should’ve been a joke. It obviously looked like a joke. But no one laughed.

 And Lance certainly didn’t find it funny.

 Images burst like bulbs exploding right in front of him. And Lance could see it all so clearly; feel it even clearer as if it was yesterday.

 Darkness.

 The wet and cold mud under his feet.

 A blade flashing under the moonlight.

 The childish shrill of pain that pierced the blackness.

 Keith’s screaming that rattled Lance’s bones.

 And just like that—with no logic present in his brain, no reasoning whatsoever—Lance’s left hand wrapped around the prince’s meaty nape and brought his face down to the table with a thundering force that jolted the whole thing. His right hand knew what to do and in negative time, the blue bayard transformed itself into the high-tech pistol.

 Lance confidently pressed the barrel right at the prince’s head.

 “Lance!” Allura yelled and stood up from her chair. Pidge and Hunk did too, but Lance ignored them all.

 The prince tried to resist a little, but Lance pushed even further and the male froze when he felt more prominently the weapon that could blow his brain off if he tried to move. And when Lance made sure the prince knew his place, he riveted his eyes on all the other present aliens.

 “Lance, please think about what—”

 “If one of you,” Lance growled lowly, the hot familiar anger pumping his blood; his whole body on fire, every bone threatening to burst in flames, “dares or even dares to think of laying a hand on one of my kids, I will send your heads one by one back to your home planets for everyone to see.”

 Some aliens looked downright afraid and others had pressed some of the devices and papers into their chests like it would protect them from Lance’s murderous gaze.

 He ignored Allura’s warning call once again as he banged the prince’s face into the smooth surface another time. He groaned in pain and Lance let him go slide off and fall to the ground, leaving a small trail of blue blood coming from his nose. The thud of his body colliding rang across the soundless hall.

 Lance deactivated his bayard and started walking towards the exit, his fists clenching and unclenching, itching for a fight.

 “And for the record,” he said just when his hand pressed over the data pad, “that wasn’t a threat.” The entrance hissed open, but Lance still looked behind him to find all the shocked and fearful expressions. Hunk and Pidge seemed indecisive, like they didn’t know if they should go follow him or stay. Zatha had her eyebrows scrunched up like she’d tasted something sour while Olphyra gaped. Allura’s eyes were big and full of sympathy, in contrast with Lotor who looked smug and almost proud as he was looking at the fallen prince who had pressed his hands into his broken nose.

 Lance stepped outside the room.

 “That was a promise,” he said just as the doors shut.

 But even if they didn’t hear his last words—the silence he left behind him was loud enough.

 

*

 

Lance didn’t know for how long he strolled in the castle, ignoring every curious glance and concerned looks from the staff that knew him. But it didn’t matter at the end anyways, because he ended up in the royal garden as always. It was his favorite place in the whole palace. Everything was bathed in all possible colors Lance could think of with beautiful sculptures standing tall and gracing every corner. He could hear the faint sound of someone humming a gentle song and the water quietly burbling from either the fountains or an Altean gardener irrigating the flowers, the trees and the bushes. Some birds chirped on Lance’s left, but he still kept his eyes closed, breathing in deeply.

 The anger really brought out the worst in him, for sure. And he was sure he’d get a scolding from Allura despite the fact they were no kids anymore. Despite the fact they both had kids of their own, too. Even after all these years, she still mothered all of Voltron just like Shiro with his dad-like attitude.

 The small artificial lake lapped the shore and usually he would bring Layla here for a swim whenever they visited Altea, but now … now Layla was gone and he didn’t know if she was okay, if she was healthy, if his past self at least took great care of her. Although, knowing himself, he didn’t think there would be problem. Maybe even Keith instantly recognized himself in Layla with all the eye rolling, sarcastic tongue and blunt sentences with a hint of sweetness that made you instantly love them. The moment she was born, Lance knew she’d resemble his husband the most. He was sure of it.

 Sure, she might have taken his eyes and his curly hair and at first, quick glance someone would think she took his face. But no. The longer she stood next to Keith—the better you see how Layla is literally him with blue eyes and darker skin. Even the Keith baby pictures Krolia provided their family with were scarily identical to Layla’s when she was a toddler.

 Except for Ezra who had always been a mini-Lance. Even now, in his teenage years, he mostly looks like Lance himself when he was at the same age. And his personality resembled Lance’s too and many liked to joke that Ezra was an actual copy, but that wasn’t true at all. Sure, his son loved to joke around and was good with people, but Ezra was a lot gentler, more careful, more delicate. He felt a lot more than Lance and Keith combined, a sensitivity that was closer to Lance’s mother or Shiro even rather than his parents. An empathy that always made you feel understood and warm.

 He smiled to himself. Ezra would be the perfect for the career he’s chosen.

 Lance sighed and sniffed, gulping down the tears. Don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry …

 He wasn’t allowed to cry. Not until they were all together again. Not until everything goes back to what it used to be.

 Not until Keith—

 “Let me go!”

 A faint yell from the distance interrupted his thoughts and Lance met the blue cloudless sky as he opened his eyes. He immediately sat up alarmed and looked to the source. He couldn’t identify it right away since there were too many trees blocking his path and vision, but he could’ve sworn that it sounded a lot of like—

 There was another shout. “I said let me go! Can’t you take orders! Hey, don’t touch me! Put me down!”

 This time Lance didn’t waste any second and ran between all the fruit trees, slapping every leaf, plant and bush away that prevented him from getting to his destination. However, some of the worry that settled in at the beginning withered away at the moment he recognized the young and familiar female voice.

 Finally, Lance arrived at the main pathway that led to the stairway which guided to the entrance of the castle. On his right there was nothing out of the ordinary. The huge and tall gate made of Altean white stone, the city below with all of its buildings, houses and nature like the green hills and snow mountains in the distance. For a second Lance wondered if he must’ve hallucinated everything since it wouldn’t have been the first time. But then …

 “Uncle Lance!” Someone from behind cried out.

 Lance turned around.

 And there she was. The crown princess of Altea, the first and only child of Queen Allura and Prince Lotor.

 Princess Melenor, named after her grandmother. Or Mella, as Ezra nicknamed her when they were little kids which stuck for a short name ever since.

 She was currently struggling with two guards, one of which was enveloping her torso, carrying her away from the entrance and going down the stairs. Mella trashed in his arms like a wild animal, teeth bared and purple marks glowing in pure rage. The Altean that was holding her wisely kept his head the furthest he could manage with the way Mella tried to wring it back and hit him. Her eyes caught his again and even from the distance, Lance noticed the relief that passed though.

 “Uncle Lance! Help me! Aynas won’t let me go and tell me what’s going on!”

 “Hey!” Lance protested. “Come on, she told you off! What’s going on here?”

 Aynas, the guard that was hauling the princess around, looked up just as they dropped Mella off at the bottom of the stairs.

 “Sir McClain,” they both said at the same time, hands pressed over their hearts as they bowed at the waist. Lance grimaced at the title and the greeting, never quite figuring out how to feel about it. Obviously, no one in team Voltron was Altean and they never had rights over titles, land or money, but after the war ended, Allura and Lotor both insisted that the citizen pay their respects with the correct title for an Altean knight. Some even called them Lord which always left a sour taste in his mouth, although it was funny to see how Layla preened under everyone daring to call her Lady McClain. “We were instructed by Prince Lotor to not let the princess into the castle until the meeting is over.”

 “What meeting?” Mella demanded nostrils flaring in anger. She seemed to be fresh out of mission. She was wearing the training uniform for the ones training at the Security School—white suit that resembled the one Allura wore back in the war, except Mella’s had purple undertones instead of pink that matched her violet eyes and lilac Altean marks. Her snow-white hair was done in a simple braid that fell down to her waist, but everything was messy with all the strands sticking out everywhere and her wispy bangs stuck a little to her forehead from all the sweat. “I was supposed to be on a mission for two movements, but …”

 Mella took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, her dark brown cheeks glowing under the harsh sun. Then she looked up at Lance, gaze soft and yet hard as steel all at once. Allura had taught her that look well.

 “Ezra stopped responding to me a few quintants ago and I got worried,” she said and took Lance’s sleeve in desperation and shook his hand lightly. “Where is Ezra? Is he here with you?”

 Mella paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. “I have to tell him something very … um …” Mella looked to the side and Lance could’ve sworn her cheeks flushed with the marks slightly taking a faint glow. Mella was rarely a girl to become flustered or shy and Lance was left confused on what was going on here. She thrusted her head. “Whatever. Just … is he on Altea right now? Or on Earth? Daibazaal?” Something must’ve changed on Lance’s face, because the small shyness was replaced by suspicion. “What? What’s going on? Why—why are you looking at me like that?”

 Mella somehow turned her face to the guard’s direction who disappeared the moment they got the chance as if they could answer her why Lance was so silent; why Ezra wasn’t here.

 The realization was like freezing waters being thrown at his face. Mella didn’t know.

 She didn’t know. She didn’t know about Layla, and she definitely didn’t know about Ezra. Oh stars. Now Lance had to be the one to break her heart and bring the horrendous news to her. Why didn’t Allura tell her? Why didn’t anyone?

 A fresh memory resurfaced on top of his mind.

 “It’s complicated,” Ezra said that one night to Keith a few months ago when they visited Cuba for Christmas. Lance happened to pass by one of the mango trees on their farm. It was enormous and it had been there since he remembered. Occasionally, when he was little, Lance and his siblings would play here and have picnics. Now Keith and Ezra had done the same as they were sitting on some scratchy old blanket. His son had his head in Keith’s lap while his husband was carding his hand gently through Ezra’s strands.

 Keith hummed. “Is it?” He asked softly. “Or do you make it complicated?”

 “It’s always complicated when it comes to Mella anyways,” Ezra sighed tiredly.

 That had been his cue to leave since it was obvious that their son chose to open up to Keith specifically, seeking out his dad’s comfort which was pretty normal. Sometimes it was Lance and sometimes it was both of them—it never bothered Lance. In fact, it made him unbelievably happy to see the most loved his ones together.

 “Will someone tell me—”

 “Mella,” Lance said and perhaps it’s the way he said her voice that made her shut up and look at him. Her eyes were glistening and he could see she tried not to cry. She must’ve sensed that something was wrong ever since Aynas stopped her from entering her own home. Mella’s mouth slightly trembled and something in Lance panged with hurt. He had seen her growing up just as much as his own children and she had always been proud and strong, loving, caring and protective just like a lioness. It was unnerving to see her like this. So Lance decided not to beat around the bush as it wasn’t time for softening such a dire situation and said those ugly words, he had never said out loud, “Ezra’s gone.”

 Mella physically recoiled away from him, brows furrowing like Lance had physically slapped her. Her mouth opened and there was such anger and pain gathering in her eyes; pain that could topple entire buildings. Lance idly wondered if he had the same face when he threatened that stuck up prince. “Wh-what? What do you mean gone? Where did he go?”

 Lance tried to take her hand before she could run away and do something impulsive or stupid that she might regret in the future, but Mella just stepped away and glared at him with teary eyes.

 “Where’s Ezra? Tell me,” she ordered with a hard voice filled with wrath, using her princess tone that he heard her use very rarely, mainly since Mella had always been rather indifferent about her status as a royal. Very unlike her mother who had been born ready to rule her people. Mella preferred travelling and exploring much like Lotor did in his teenage years.

 The lack of answer on Lance’s part made her even angrier. But what he could say? She and Ezra grew up together, they were best friends since childhood. How he would tell her that her best friend is gone without Lance himself falling apart?

 “Mel, look—”

 “Tell me!”

 “He’s just gone!” Lance yelled, his voice cracking like ice under all the pressure. Mella flinched at his outburst, and for a small second, he felt bad about it, but … it just felt so good to let it all out. “Layla used the Time Travel Prototype to go back in time and Ezra followed her three days ago! I don’t know where they are, I don’t know if they’re safe and I don’t know when they’ll come back! A-and … Keith is gone too and I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing! I feel so helpless and alone. And all people in there,” he thrusted a hand towards the castle angrily, “are trying to hurt my children and I don’t know what to do except threaten them, because otherwise I will crumble into nothingness!”

 Lance didn’t realize he was crying until it was too late. Mella stared at him in shock, huge purple eyes swimming in pain and regret. Lance wished he had the power to apologize, tell her it wasn’t her fault he lost it, that it was just a matter of time.

 A bird cheeped somewhere in the distance.

 Mella took one step towards him, then two—her hands hesitantly raised before her.

 Lance could barely see her Mella through his blurry eyes as her face screwed up in misery. And then, with all her might, she lunged towards him with a heart wrenching sob, burying herself in his chest. Lance’s response was automatic and he embraced her while Mella started crying her heart out, warm tears staining his shirt. She fisted some of the fabric in her hand and Lance simply squeezed her closer, some tears escaping him too. He hid his face in her hair, both of them crying out for the people they loved.

 He had never heard Mella cry this much before and it was scary as much as it was painful, every bawl taking him back into those nightmares that kept him up every night.

 They stayed there for a long time. In front of the Altean castle, hugging each other.

 Lance hadn’t realized how much he needed to do this. To comfort and hug someone who could fully understand his pain. He had always thrived under such circumstances, to just be someone’s rock only so he could convince himself that he was fine.

 Soon, Mella’s sobs turned dry and Lance never let go even when it all stopped. Not that she seemed ready to pull away either.

 The Altean sun streamed on them both, the golden light warming him up and that hollow hole in his chest … didn’t feel so bad anymore. He breathed in and kissed Mella’s head crown, a loving gesture he has always done ever since she was a small baby that Allura passed over to him with a shaky smile, trembling hands from happiness and turquoise eyes shining with unconditional love and care. It reminded him of Layla and Lance tried to suck back the tears, his throat feeling like it had a rock settled in there.

 “I’m sorry,” Mella rasped out, but before Lance could protest, she looked up at him. Her eyes were red and puffed, and her cheeks were glistening wet from all the tears. “I’m sorry I yelled at you like this. I know it has been heartbreaking for you ever since uncle Keith disappeared and now this. I should’ve been more considerate.” Then Mella hid herself in his embrace again and muttered, “Forgive me if you can.”

 The words about Keith made Lance’s breath hitch, but he masked it well and caressed her hair in a gentle manner. “I forgive you,” he said softly.

 Mella exhaled in relief. “I just— this was so stupid of him!” She growled. “How could he do this to everyone? And Layla too on top of it all! I swear, when he comes back, I will punch him in the face!”

 And then, there it was.

 So unexpected, but oh, so relieving.

 Lance laughed.

 It came out sounding so wrong, but so right at the same time. His laugh was scratchy like an old record, like his cords have long forgotten how to make this pure sound of joy when none of his most loved were here with him. But he laughed and it was the more consoling than he could ever imagine. It was comforting, he thought. That he could produce a laugh even when he felt like his soul was dying; that even the loudest and horrendous thunderstorm could turn into a delicate drizzle. Drizzle that reminded Lance of those peaceful times at his parent’s house in Cuba, Keith in his arms in the early morning as they watched Ezra and Layla playing in the rain. Smiling because they loved the children; smiling because they loved each other.

 Those memories were the only thing that kept him from completely dropping hope’s fragile hand.

 Mella chuckled with him and that made Lance even happier. He opened his mouth to say share how the meeting went, when urgent steps on the left stopped him.

 They both turned on the side only to see Aynas from before running towards them like his life dependent on it.

 “Hey—”

 “Lord Lance! I was ordered by Queen Allura to bring you back into the meeting hall immediately! There has been very important news that concern your husband, Lord Keith, you see!” Aynas breathed in and out so quickly that Lance had almost missed the words that stumbled out of his mouth.

 His whole world tipped sideways, his heart stuttering like it was ready to stop right here, right now from all the excitement. Mella seemed was ready to support him as Lance stumbled on his unstable legs towards Aynas, feeling like a newborn deer on ice.

 “What is it Aynas?” Lance demanded like a man on his dying breath and grasped the man on the shoulders, shaking him with vigor. “What news?”

 Please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead. I don’t know what I’ll do with myself if he’s dead.

 Aynas stayed silent, eyes wide with something Lance couldn’t translate for the life of him.

 “Speak for fuck’s sake!” Lance growled in ire and thrusted the guard back and forth. “What news?”

 Aynas seemed to come to his senses and his eyes cleared up as if a fog was lifted, a curse breaking. And then he smiled with all his teeth like a some Altean goddess graced him with her presence in his dream, which was scary on its own because Lance could’ve sworn in all those years, he never saw Aynas smiling, not even grinning or huffing in humor.

 “Congratulations, Lord McClain,” he said and bowed again, this time more sincere and genuine. This time Lance couldn’t hold his sobs and fell on his knees, Mella following as she immediately engulfed him in her arms—her laugh sounding like holiday bells, sounding like the pure happiness that bled through his body as he heard the next words.

 

 

“They’ve found your husband. He’s coming back home.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pssst ... sorry for butting in like that on this emotional ending, but here are some pictures from my prom, because i consider you guys my friends and i love you all so much! thank you for being with me throughout these moments! ☺️ and i wanted u to have a proof that i was truly busy LMAO.

 

Notes:

tristeza means sorrow/sadness in spanish, you're welcome :'))

anyways ... this chapter ... whew. (pssst... all the BAMF Lance stans... did u get ur food;)) i honestly am predicting all kinds of reactions so as always, do comment how you feel about everything that is on your mind! 🌺🌷 i love long comments and i love getting your unconditional support, theories and compliments! they get me through all the writing slumps and bad days :)) ❤️ so don't be shy!

one mystery solved -- more 82938292829 incoming! see u next time beautiful angels! ::)))

hopefully this time it'll be sooner! ✨love you!