Actions

Work Header

Your Eyes Tell

Summary:

It was actually a very adorable sight and Keith didn’t realize he was smiling until Shiro’s eyes snapped up at him this time. But this time it stayed, analyzing his face, not like with Lance when he had barely spared him a third glance.

A tiny sigh from the girl and all at once, she perhaps finally found the courage to look at all the Paladins. So she did.

And Keith’s world exploded in blue.

🔹When team Voltron finds a small girl on an abandoned planet—they all wonder who she is and what is she doing alone.
But perhaps all the answers they need are in her eyes.

Chapter 1: new guest

Summary:

A new person in the castle seems to have everyone's attention.

Notes:

- this is an idea that i've been wanting to turn into a fic since 2019 and since i'm writing so many stuff at once (which is a bit stressing), i decided to just post small chapters whenever i feel like it. as a relaxing distraction i guess lmao.

- i hope you will like it just as much as i love writing this! also - there isn't any Mpreg in this, so don't be put off when they realize that the klance kid is theirs biologically.

- it's just an au after all, don't take it too seriously!
• title comes from bts's song "your eyes tell"💝

ENJOY LOVELIES!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 



chapter one

new guest

 

In the one year and three months in which Keith had been in space – he thought he’d seen most of what it had to offer.

 Pretty planets with even prettier sights, strange looking aliens and creatures that went beyond all of his imaginations. Not to mention the sentient Lions and their ability to communicate mentally with all of the Voltron Paladins. Perhaps the weirdest thing that managed to surprise him – was the fact that he was half alien. If he had to be honest, Keith wasn’t even that perplexed at the reveal in which he finally understood why he felt so different and out of place his whole life.

 He’d just merely belonged to the stars all this time; in the calm void where he could fight and do something for other people. Make helpless and hopeless aliens feel just a tad fraction of that happiness when after every mission he came back to his family. His found one. The kind of family that he’d been dreaming about his whole life; the kind of family that Lance was describing in his stories from Cuba.

 Of course, this was space after all, and when the team received a signal that something strange had happened on an abandoned planet nearby – he wasn’t expecting much.

 Maybe a Galra trap or an attack, or an ambush from aliens who support them. But this part of the day had become strangely mundane, to fight evil aliens that is.

 They were all gathered in the Bridge Control room, the Castle still from when Coran landed it perfectly on the surface of Dokhyna. The planet looked like out of something from a cyberpunk movie with tall, elegant buildings, looming over like giant fairies. The billboards were still working surprisingly – displayed ads of products and events, but with the streets were completely empty. Keith felt strangely sad. According to Coran, Dokhyna was one of the first victims targeted by the Galra who sprayed a gas which was poisonous to the natives; with radiation so strong that after thousands of years – they couldn’t come back.

 This could be Earth if they didn’t win this war, Keith realized with a small shudder.

 “I don’t understand,” Pidge muttered and Keith snapped again into reality.

 Because remember when he said nothing could surprise him anymore?

 Well, that seemed to turn out to be a fucking lie as Keith brought his gaze back onto the little girl whom was sitting on Pidge’s chair across them.

 The little human girl.

 Coran didn’t need to make any scans on her DNA since it was painfully obvious. She looked like a human child, talked and walked like one. Though the talking part was an exaggeration on his end since she hadn’t said anything to them save for the threating yell to ‘stay back’ when they found her, hiding in an empty dumpster.

 She was dirty, her clothes rumpled and shredded like she’d went on places she shouldn’t have been, her face smudged with ash and dust. Her skin tone was familiar as stupid as that sounded. It was a brown shade, but it was not dark like Allura’s, however it was darker than Adam’s from what Keith remembered. There were freckles scattered across her nose and cheeks almost like …

 Lance.

 Keith secretly fixed his gaze on his left, at where Lance was sitting with his knees spread and elbows resting on them. The Blue Paladin was the same as him. The same as everyone, honestly. Observing like a hawk, analyzing like a predator, the small girl. She was trying really hard not to meet any of their eyes so she mostly kept her head down, but Keith could still catch major features like the shape of her eyes, nose and eyebrows. Her hair was of dark brown color and it was huge, curly and long. It was done in a ponytail, but occasionally she’d blow some of the naughty curls away from her face that have unfortunately escaped due to the thickness of it.

 Unsurprisingly, Shiro broke the high tension and took a hesitant step towards her, his hands raised. She immediately noticed the motion and tensed, her tiny hands grabbing tightly on to the straps of her military green backpack. Keith didn’t know what she carried inside, but it certainly was bigger than her whole body and some part of him was worried she’d topple backwards if the girl decided to stand up.

 “Hey … my name is Shiro. I’m the Black Paladin of Voltron, yes? Have you heard of us?”

 Keith noticed Hunk fidgeting on his place next to Pidge. Allura and Coran simply stood to the side with crossed arms, meanwhile he and Lance were the closest to each other. He pondered if he should’ve stepped to his teammate to bring some comfort, but decided against it.

 The girl very visibly gulped. Then … a small nod. Millions of questions appeared inside his brain, but he left his brother to do the interrogation. They all knew he wasn’t the best with kids like Lance, Hunk or Shiro were. How did a human girl know about Voltron, was very beyond Keith.

 “That’s good,” Shiro praised and when he reached her, he kneeled down so he could be on level with her eyes. For a small second, that Keith was sure it was a brain cheat or a trick, Shiro’s grey eyes jerked to Lance. And then back to the girl. He repeated the same action, and Keith was sure no one noticed a thing except for him. From the team, he was probably the most capable when it came down to read Shiro specifically. “Would you mind to tell us your name?”

 He smiled at her, that kind smile that had won Keith over when he was a small kid with no hope or future. He wasn’t sure how the girl would resist the smile.

 And frankly, some of the tension melted away from her body, though she didn’t let go of her backpack. Keith couldn’t see the color of her eyes from that afar, but he could feel that she was uncertain on what she was about to say when she opened her mouth. Closed it – opened it again.

 “I’m– … I uh …” she stuttered, but Shiro was quick to comfort her.

 “Woah! It’s okay. You don’t have to tell us right away, okay? Whenever you’re ready.”

 Her forehead wrinkled in confusion and she puckered her lips. Probably deciding if her name was important information or not that she could share.  It was actually a very adorable sight and Keith didn’t realize he was smiling until Shiro’s eyes snapped up at him this time. But this time it stayed, analyzing his face, not like with Lance when he had barely spared him a third glance.

 A tiny sigh from the girl and all at once, she perhaps finally found the courage to look at all the Paladins. So she did.

 

 And Keith’s world exploded in blue.

 Cobalt blue, so beautiful and breathtaking, with the literal stars inside it. The color of the depth of every ocean, so deep that it took Keith’s breath away in an instant. Because … how many times had he looked at blue moons with this exact same hue? How many times had Keith dreamed of that blue to look at him, with more than just friendly mirth or angry glares? How many times had Keith wished to dive even deeper in them or gaze upon them; show the owner how badly he desired him?

 Because those weren’t just ordinary blue eyes, no.

 “My name is Layla.”

 Those were Lance’s eyes.

 Then she continued as if she didn’t just rock the Castle floor beneath their feet.

 

 “Layla McClain.”

Notes:

- DUN DUN DUUUN ... i wonder what happens next :0
jk. i do. but you don't. SO STICK AROUND IF U WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS :D

- thank you for reading if you got to the end! leave kudos, an idea, hc or a comment if you'd like! we authors always appreciate it!

'TIL NEXT TIME!✨🖊️

Chapter 2: of hair ties and secret glances

Summary:

Lance can't cope that his actual daughter is here.
Keith is fucking dense as usual.
And Pidge almost fights a little child.

Notes:

wow!! you guys, the response to this story and the first chapter was fucking awesome! thank you so much for the comments, the kudos and the hits that inspired me this much to write this smol bby that is 4k words.

I hope you like it! there is so much more to come ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter two

of hair ties and secret glances

 

All Lance wanted his whole life was to be a pilot.

 Sure, he did become a pilot after all, just not the type of pilot he expected. Riding with Blue was one of the best experiences he’d had in life so he couldn’t complain that this was what life threw at him. Being a part of a mega weapon was one of those things that you never knew you wanted or needed. He did miss his family like crazy, but … Voltron was also his family and Lance wouldn’t give them up for anything.

 Becoming a space explorer has always been a constant dream in his life. Ever since he turned nine – all his desires turned up to the sky instead of the sea. All the beautiful stars, all of the unknown seemed to call out for him so many times like a constant hum travelling across his skin, making his bones slightly tremble and his heart to fasten.

 It was the Blue Lion all along, but that didn’t take away the fact that space would always have a place in his soul. His mother has always called him a dreamer. Even with all the failures, it looked like all there it was when it came to Lance McClain. Dreaming far beyond his reach, dreaming for things he’d probably never get. But still dreaming.

 It was no surprise to anyone, the least for Lance, that he also dreamed of having a family. Of his own. Become a parent one day and marry someone he found beautiful, smart and courageous so he could live his life with them, grow grey and old and watch as he pass down everything he’s learned to the generation after him.

 A pilot, a husband, a father. All that Lance wanted.

 But it didn’t mean he was ready, at nineteen years old, to actually be one.

 The silence after the girl, after Layla McClain – whoever she was, shared her name was absolutely crushing, pressing down on all of his teammates where they all stood frozen, in a daze, all gaping at the kid who averted her eyes the moment she let her name stumble away from her lips. Her blue eyes.

 The eyes of his own mother; the eyes he was seeing in his own reflection every single day.

 Shiro, like the empath he was, sensed the sheer awkwardness and uncomfortableness of the situation and immediately whisked Layla away. He murmured something in her ear and then smiled kindly, offering his prosthetic arm to her. Layla didn’t even look twice at the hand or showed in any way she was shocked. The girl simply gave him a nod and let the Black Paladin envelop her tiny hand. Shiro made a move to take away the heavy backpack that was attached to her, like a turtle’s shell, but all he had in response was a warning not to touch it.

 No one said anything.

 They all watched Shiro lead Layla away from the Bridge Room, all quiet save for the sound of the Castle’s systems buzzing and buzzing.

 Lance didn’t know how long he stayed glued to his seat, unblinking at the exit.

 Hunk’s voice reached his ears and Lance dizzily, his head feeling as if underwater, turned to his best friend.

 “Lance, p-please tell me that this is a very distant cousin of yours that a-apparently lives in space and looks scarily like you,” he begged. “C’mon Lance, tell your buddy! I bet you’ve been an alien like Keith this whole time ahah …”

 He trailed off with a shaky laughter, obviously nervous. Pidge rubbed her small hand on his shoulder as she offered some comfort in the only way she knew. Even though her face looked deeply concentrated like she was solving math equations inside her head.

 Lance exhaled a breath and squeezed his hands in fists as they were obviously trembling slightly.

 “I’ve never seen this girl in my whole damn life,” he breathed out. Croaked more like it. Stars, Lance felt like he’d pass out any minute. Why did this girl looked so much like him? Why did she have his surname? Who was she?

 His vision colored in black spots and when it hit Lance that he might faint for real, a cold hand, smaller than his, grabbed his own. In a tight grip, grounding him. Lance didn’t even care who it was – he just took that anchor with him, wishing that bile in his throat to go away. Lance definitely didn’t wish to vomit his guts out to all of his friends.

 “Lance,” a deep voice called. Soft and raspy. “Lance, breathe. It’s okay – you’re okay.

 In and out, in and out.

 “Slower. C’mon, breathe with me, okay?”

 He felt the person next to him inhaling deeply and Lance tried to follow in the midst of all the chaos inside him. There was a knot in his stomach, but with every inhale and exhale – Lance could feel it untying little by little. He squeezed the other person’s hand even more, a bit worried he was doing it too strongly. But the equally as strong hand responded with the same type of clutch. “That’s it, Sharpshooter. Perfect.”

 Lance didn’t even know he had closed his eyes. But then he felt a touch, light and feathery against the skin of his cheek. It was so soft and gentle, lovingly even, that he had to see who it was. Even though a buried part of him knew already.

 Lance’s eyelashes fluttered and he made himself meet Keith’s gaze. That was right in front of him, so open and so vulnerable just as his. So purple.

 The Red Paladin found a place, kneeling between Lance’s legs. His face was inches away from him, but Lance wanted him closer. When didn’t he want Keith closer? His heart gave a loud bum, before it started an interesting fast rhythm like the gallop of a horse. This time for an entire different reason, that he couldn’t even muster a response. Keith’s touch to his cheek became firmer the longer they stayed together, alone in their own space of stars and darkness.

 Lance braced himself, perhaps for Keith’s enticing smell and for the warmth of his body despite his icy hands, but it didn’t come.

 And the disappointment of not kissing Keith in that moment was even colder.

 Keith backed away, and so did his fingers, that for an embarrassing second, Lance almost chased after him, wishing to take Keith’s lips for himself. Embrace him and feel the soft lace that was his hair. Touch him back just as tenderly as he did.

 “I think we all know who she was,” crooned Pidge furtively, but Lance couldn’t even hear her clearly because of the drumming in his ears from all the hot blood. “The question is how?

 “Well,” Coran piped in with his usual levity and Lance looked up to see the old Altean reading from the screen. “The report we received from the Yek’hitians was that there was a significant crack in the matter of space and time almost phoeb ago. So if we go by the data and the readings – this is ho–”

 “Wait, wait, wait!” Hunk interrupted, waving his hands around wildly like he was trying to scare away a fly. “You mean to tell me that this little girl survived by herself?! ALONE? FOR ALMOST A MONTH?!”

 A chasm, so wide and bottomless, drilled inside his heart at the thought of Layla. Alone and hurt, wandering around on an empty planet with that huge bag that probably killed her small shoulders. She was probably really afraid – Lance knew that he would no matter what age he was.

 “Is she okay?” Keith asked and Lance’s eyes widened at the raw concern in his tone. He glanced to his friend and could see his furrowed eyebrows and his distinct scowl. “She did look really tired. Maybe she’s hungry?”

 Now that seemed to set Hunk off.

 “Oh Jesus! She probably is! God knows what she was living off this past month! My poor niece! I’m gonna go and make her something in the kitchen! Pidge, come and help me!”

 They all sucked in a gasp at Hunk’s obliviousness and Lance could feel the rest of the team’s concerned gazes pointed at him. But it was too late; too inevitable.

 Because yes. Layla McClain was Hunk’s niece.

 Because Layla McClain was his daughter.

 

 

{ * }

 

 

“If I see one of you freaking out – you’re out.”

 Shiro’s solid voice and stance had Lance nervously rubbing his thumb over the back of his hand, the desire of being anywhere else but here so strong, that he considered stabbing himself in the neck with his spork.

 After Hunk’s meltdown over Layla probably being very hungry, they all decided to help him out in the kitchens. Not too long Shiro asked for Allura’s assistance on picking up clothes for the little girl since all of hers were dirty or cut open. It seemed that the girls were taking rather too long. Lance was wondering if his … daughter would show up wearing a princess dress.

 Hunk was basically flying over all the stoves and cupboards, dressed in an apron with Coran on his side who seemed like he was mixing up ingredients of all colors into a white bowl.

 Pidge chuckled. “Shiro, you do realize that this is Lance’s very possible daughter coming from the future? This is fucking time travelling! I’m still trying to figure out how she even managed to come here – and you want us not freaking out?”

 She looked over the edge of her laptop, a mischievous smirk stretching her lip upwards. Then she nodded at Lance. “I think the dad is handling it pretty well.”

 “I’m actually kind of freaking out,” responded Lance hurriedly and looked at Shiro whose face was painted in sympathy and understanding. Keith across him stayed silent, but whenever they accidentally met each other’s eyes – he offered Lance an encouraging smile. Lance’s lungs seemed to close themselves whenever that happened. He attempted to ease the sudden worry in the atmosphere with a laugh, but it fell flat just like his heart.

 Shiro sighed and finally sat on his own chair, at the head of the table. “Look, I know it’s really weird for all of us right now. And we have a lot of questions. But she’s scared, okay? Imagine you get separated from your family and you go in a place where they haven’t even met you yet.”

 His words were a heavy blow on Lance’s heart. A poison arrow.

 “Don’t freak out, because she will freak out if we do. And we don’t want a freaked out child in the Castle right now. Just … act civil. Normal.

 Shiro emphasized the last word with a very pointed look at Hunk who put probably the tenth plate of food on the table. Hunk either ignored that or didn’t even notice for he clapped his hands and grinned.

 “Perfect! Now I’m sure there’s at least something she’d like!”

 Shiro sighed even louder. “Hunk–”

 And like on command, the doors opened and Allura entered with Layla trailing behind her tentatively like they would all attack her the moment they see her.

 Lance took his time to actually observe her, now when she was finally clean.

 She, in fact, was dressed in a dress, with the green backpack in her hands. The dress was in pastel blue and it seemed to be a bit too big for her body, but it was better than the previous attire. The dress was probably Allura’s, but the princess didn’t seem to mind one bit judging by the sparkling eyes of amusement and smile. Layla’s hair was let down and holy shit, was it really long. It was shiny from the shower and even curlier than before.

 Like his own.

 It passed down her shoulders, down her back and almost reaching her waist. But there was something that caught Lance’s attention in a grip while Layla walked closer to the table. Back on the Bridge Room, under all the blue lights from the Castle systems, her hair was obviously a very dark brown, darker even than Lance’s. However, now that he had a closer look with a better illumination Lance knew better.

 Layla’s hair was black.

 He searched deep in his memories for known relatives with such black hair like hers. Almost like raven feathers.

 His parents and all of Lance’s siblings were brunettes. Maybe Rachel and Marco had darker hair, but it was still brown. Not black.

 Maybe it didn’t even come from Lance’s side.

 The thunder inside his ribcage was so loud that he was afraid Shiro would scold him for it. Because no one seemed to want to ask that question which was … who was Layla’s other parent? Was Lance a single dad? Or did he marry and Layla was sad that she couldn’t see her other parent with him?

 He tried so hard not to look, but he gave away to the desire. And his eyes fell on the Red Paladin that sat on opposite of him.

 It seemed so impossible. So … traitorous even.
 That he could actually love someone as hard and as deep as he loved Keith.

 Lance was really past that phase where he pretended night stands or beautiful aliens from other planets could make him feel a quarter of the amount of attraction and emotion that Keith made him feel. So who seduced him so hard to the point he’d want to be with someone that wasn’t Keith Kogane?

 “Hey Layla, how was the shower?” Asked Shiro which made the girl stop in her tracks. She swayed her head to the side because of the hair that fell in her eyes as her lips twitched.

 “Um … it was nice. Thank you for letting me use it.”

 “You’re welcome.”

 Something akin to pride filled his chest and Lance’s smile was on his lips before he could stop it. So his own daughter was beautiful like him and just as polite. Nice.

 Allura made her way to her seat, on Shiro’s right, with Keith next to her. Hunk sat on Lance’s right, next to Shiro too. So the only options Layla had for sitting were either next to Pidge or next to Keith. Lance didn’t know why that made him feel so strange. His own kid interacting with what he was sure, the love of his life.

 Space was a fucking mess.

 “You can sit wherever you want,” said Allura with a sugary smile. “I’m sure you’re very thirsty and hungry. Hunk made sure there are many dishes for you to choose from. Don’t be a stranger, we insist.”

 Layla nodded once again and resumed her walking. And as she reached the table, Lance honestly expected her to go around and sit next to Pidge. Of course, once you got to know Keith you’d very easily come to the conclusion that this guy was very soft and kind. But it didn’t change the fact that his demeanor was the one of a guy who’d beat you up for three dollars if you provoke him in any way. Which was why Keith wasn’t exactly popular with all the alien kids.

 Which is why Lance was completely baffled, when Layla didn’t even spare the free seat on the Green Paladin’s left and as if … on reflex, or maybe instinctively, went to Keith.

 “Can I sit next to you?”

 For the first time, she sounded like the small kid she was, afraid of rejection. She brought those blues at Keith and Lance watched how with no hesitancy, the Red Paladin gave her a shake of confirmation and pulled the chair for her by himself.

 And then Layla smiled.

 It was so sweet and so innocent that something slammed into Lance with no warning. Maybe that parental love that his mother has always talked about. Lance didn’t know anything about the girl who was currently making a place on her seat, but he knew he’d do everything in his power to see her smiling like that again. It was a bit painful, he’d admit, that she didn’t even want to look at him. But Shiro was right, he reminded herself.

 She was just scared and confused. Hopefully she’d come around and not stick with the mullet.

 Layla helped herself and started eating.

 And eating she did.

 Everyone was slightly chuckling by the time she devoured her whole plate in less than five minutes, two cups of alien juice, and was already filling another, when Hunk spoke up. He was obviously satisfied that he managed to make good edibles for her.

 “Do you like it? I didn’t know what you liked and there aren’t many options in space when it comes to human food.”

 Layla paused mid-way with the spork on its way to her mouth. She looked sheepish when she answered. “You always make good food, Uncle Hunk. Don’t worry.”

 She went back to her eating, but not before Hunk squealed along with Allura and Coran.

 “Oh my sweet Mary! You are adorable!”

 “Aren’t you a cutie!”

 “You’re as sweet as a little pnipler, little one!”

 Shiro looked as if he wanted to slap himself and the everybody all at once, but Lance noticed the tiny smile nevertheless. Keith also looked amused, but didn’t stop eating while Pidge snorted. She leaned on to Lance.

 “I can’t believe you made this kid. Look at her – she’s everything you’re not.”

 And Lance looked at her. She was, wasn’t she? All of a sudden she looked up and something struck him as a lightning.

 The shape of her eyes … was not really his. Sure, the color blue was scarily identical and he couldn’t lie to himself no matter how much he wanted to. But Layla’s eyes were a bit smaller and longer, in the form of a tea drop with a crease that got narrower as it reached the inner corner of her eye. As if he was looking at Keith’s eye shape rather than his own.

 Which was really fucking strange.

 Layla kept looking at him and Lance was stupidly worried she had managed to hear the conversation between he and Pidge. But she tilted her head on one side and offered him a small smile, the exact same one she gifted Keith. All Lance wanted in that moment was to choke her with kisses on her freckled cheeks. Was there anything more pure than that smile?

 The moment vanished in an instant with Allura's voice rising.

 “Well Layla … do you want to share something about yourself?”

 “Yeah kid,” said Pidge and fixed the glasses on her nose. “You gonna tell us what’s in the backpack and how you came here?”

 Pidge gave a not very subtle look on the bag on Layla’s chair next to her. And out of nowhere, it was like someone had pressed a button and all her walls came up immediately.

 Layla glowered and pointed with the end of her spork. “If one of you touches my backpack I will … um” she obviously didn’t know how to finish her threat which was so fucking cute. Lance felt his heart was a balloon, but instead of air it was filling with love. “… I will run away!”

 “Well at least tell us what it is for?” Pidge pressed and Lance almost slapped her into the oblivion of space, watching Layla’s nostrils flare in anger. It looked that she was quick to do that. Perhaps prone to get easily irritated.

 “I was trained to resist interrogation! I’m not telling anything other than my age and my name!” Such serious words coming out of a small kid who barely reached his waist was certainly something Lance never thought he’d see.

 “How old are you then?”

 “Okay!” Shiro intervened when they all noticed how the girls were ready to pounce on each other. “No touching the backpack without permission! And no interrogations! Right, Pidge?”

 Pidge seemed very unsatisfied with his words so she slumped down in her chair.

 “. . . Right.”

 “But can’t you tell us how you came here? How would we get you back in your timeline otherwise?” Hunk questioned with worry flooding his words and face.

 Layla crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair. Lance’s brain yelled at him at how many times he’d seen this exact same physical response. There was only one person who crossed his arms like this as strong deja vu choked him all around.

 She squirmed in her chair under Hunk’s kindness. “I … I can’t.

 “You can’t because you can’t or because you don’t want to?” Lance found himself speaking to her for the first time since they’d found her. Layla seemed shocked that he even spoke to her which really surprised him since he wasn’t even being angry or pissed. But the look on her face indicated that she expected some actual scolding from him. What the fuck? He’d always thought he’d be the cool parent, Lance thought with pettiness.

 “Well … um …” for a millionth time since she’d been here, a tress of her hair fell down on her face and she thrusted her head, hoping that it’d escape. Lance searched for the elastic that he saw her hair tied with, but he couldn’t find it on any of her wrists. Her hair was honestly a beautiful mess for sure, but she at least needed something to keep it out when she ate or was doing daily activities, right?

 Before she could continue her sentence, Keith made a move. And in front all of Voltron and for their surprise, the Red Paladin wordlessly took of the hair tie from his own hand. And offered it to the stuttering girl who once again froze while she was trying to find the right words to answer Lance’s question with.

 Layla looked up at Keith and perhaps it was a trick of the white lamps on the ceiling, but Lance swore he caught her eyes shining.

 Glossy.

 She opened her mouth, but no words could be heard. Layla’s hand outstretched, hesitant and shy, but Keith waited patiently before her small fingers finally took the tie from him. She began tying her hair back into the same ponytail that they all saw her with at the beginning.

 Layla looked to Keith again and something in Lance’s chest hurt at the sight.

 “Um … since my hair is so fluffy and thick, my hair ties always tend to break,” she explained and Lance could her something behind that sentence. The girl tried to mask it, but it seemed she didn’t care for nothing or no one at all the moment she and Keith were looking at each other. “That’s why my daddy always keeps lots on his hand, ‘cuz his hair is also very long like mine.”

 It took a solid second for Lance’s brain to catch up with the information she shared.

 “Noooo,” Lance began whining and all heads turned to him. Shiro looked as if she was going to puke. “Don’t tell me I grow out my hair long in the future! This a fuc- a hecking nightmare! Why would I do it? I love my short curls and everything, this would be literal suicide!”

 Laughter exploded all around him, including Layla who was rather trying to look as if she didn’t want to laugh. Her lips were clamped together, but Lance still saw the gaping hole from where her tooth had fallen probably. So cute.

 She didn’t even elaborate on what she even meant by the fact her “daddy” also had long hair, but Lance found he didn’t mind. And when the chuckles faded away little by little, Keith grabbed his spork again, but not before he told Layla quietly, but still loud enough to hear.

 “Your daddy sounds cool,” he said simply, smiling a little down at his food.

 Oblivious at how Lance’s heart jumped at the implication of what he truly meant.

 Oblivious at how their teammates were pleasantly surprised at how well Keith handled Lance’s daughter in such a way that to an outsider, it’d look like the Red Paladin was a middle school teacher in training.

 And still stupidly oblivious at how Layla didn’t even dare to stop looking at his side profile, as if she was looking at the prettiest sunset; as if she couldn’t believe herself she was seeing Keith.

 Strange strange strange was blaring loudly inside his mind.

 “Yeah,” she finally breathed out and glanced at Lance for a quick moment. Before she snuck a stealthy one at Keith again who kept eating his food.

 

 “He is the coolest.”

Notes:

don't worry, layla absolutely loves her papa lancey with her whole heart. BUT there's a reason she specifically latched onto keith here, and i'm not giving away any spoilers! but you can 100% give me your theories - i'll hapily read them all! i'm a type of an author who puts little tiny details into the story and hopes for everyone to catch them. so everything i write has a reason or an inuendo - just because it's a kid story doesn't mean i'm treating it any differently than my other works!

again, thank you so much for the responses! i'm an attention seeking whore that gets off on praising so all of your comments boosted my confidence and made me sit on my ass to write the 2nd chapter in no time hehe

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! And stick around if you want to know how little Layla managed to come or something whatev ... :D LOVE YOU ALL !

Chapter 3: a time storm

Summary:

Keith is very gay and wants to smooch Lance's pretty face.
Layla scares everybody shitless.
Pidge still wants to fight a little kid.

Notes:

last chapter's reponse was so heartwarming! 💖you guys are the best inspiration an author could ever have! thank you for reading my story - here's a longer chapter that is 6k words because i love u, u angels!

ENJOY! 🌼

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter three

a time storm

 

 

After dinner, Keith was a bit afraid that Lance’s daughter would follow him, since she seemed weirdly interested in sitting next to him. Just because he did one or two right things for her didn’t mean he actually knew what to do. He had no idea why. Maybe in the future he was a favorite uncle or something of the sort so it was possible why would Layla like to  spend time with him?

 But that didn’t happen at all and he didn’t know why he was so relieved, but disappointed at the same time. Not that she looked particularly interested in Lance either which Keith knew hurt his friend more than he tried to show. Not for one second Keith considered that the reason was that Lance turned out to be a bad parent in the future. Because Keith was sure there wasn’t a single alternate universe or timeline where Lance McClain didn’t give his whole heart and soul to those who owned a part of him.

 Shiro and Allura, along with a requested Coran, made a move to show her the way to her room where she was going to stay during the stay. For the second time as Keith looked up – he caught Shiro’s eyes, jumping between Layla and him. Keith raised an eyebrow at his brother, but Shiro just shook his head faintly with his face immediately changing into that warm smile and twinkling eyes that had Layla standing up from her chair, thanking Hunk for the dinner. Of course, she didn’t seem to forget her backpack, but this time she let Shiro take it. Allura and Coran followed which left Keith, Lance and Hunk alone in the kitchen.

 And it was suddenly very silent.

 Keith stole a secret look at Lance from under his eyelashes while he stirred from what was left of his food. The Blue Paladin’s expression was more thoughtful than sad which brought comfort upon Keith’s heart. Lance and he would occasionally talk sometimes, on the observation deck, where they could be all alone. Where no one could hear them or their insecurities. He wished Lance could see himself the way all of Voltron, the way all of the universe did.

 A brave, selfless, kind and beautiful boy who always reached for the stars.

 And apparently – a man who’d bring a sweet creature like Layla McClain into the world.

 Keith swallowed back a dreamy sigh. Who honestly wouldn’t Lance to be the father of their child?

 “I think it went pretty well!”

 Hunk like usual tried to bring in some optimism onto the situation. Keith appreciated it, but he thought it wasn’t really going to do much if he went by Lance moping and Pidge whom still looked appalled that a little girl was going to attack her with a spork. He clamped his lips, trying to hide a smirk. Layla sure had a temper, huh?

 “I think she hates me,” Lance concluded and pushed his plate away. He sighed loudly and leaned his head back with the palms of his big hands digging into his eyes tiredly. Keith’s smile fell. Fuck. Just as he feared.

 Hunk’s eyebrows furrowed in sympathy and one of his big arms settled on Lance’s shoulder shaking him lightly. “Aw buddy, you know she doesn’t. She’s just confused and maybe really emotionally and mentally drained. I know I would be if I saw my moms when they were teenagers.”

 He very obviously shuddered in a joking manner. “Oh come on, Lance! You’re actually the best dad material after Shiro! And Shiro is the fatherest father I’ve ever met. I think no one can compete with him for the first place!”

 The Yellow Paladin suddenly glanced on his right to Keith, very obviously pleading for him to join in with the emotional support which made absolutely no sense at all. Keith’s forehead crinkled in confusion. Since when was he asked to do such things as talking someone out of sadness who wasn’t Shiro?

 But Hunk was insisting silently for help and Pidge was painfully obvious at not participating in the conversation as she furiously typed on the keys of her work laptop. She had a pink noodle hanging grossly from her mouth, but she didn’t seem to care with her eyes flying left and right. Probably reading all the information and science explanation on how Layla could’ve travelled back in time.

 Keith was actually very curious on the topic too. It meant that they won the war hopefully; it meant that maybe all of them had survived and made it to the other side okay. Maybe scathed and emotionally scarred after the war, but alive. Living.

 Lance even made a fucking child. It was like Layla came here to show them that there was hope. They were going to survive and be happy. And when Keith has had misery and sadness his whole life? He was pretty excited to know that there was a chance of happiness stored for him in the future too. Even when it was now confirmed he would never get the chance to be with Lance McClain.

 “I’m sure she’s just tired and needs time to adjust,” offered Keith before he clumsily cleared his throat. Hunk raised satisfied thumbs up his way and Keith’s tense shoulders dropped down in relief that he’d done something right. “Don’t read too much into it, Lance.”

 “Easy for you to say, mullet,” sniped Lance, but his tone didn’t have an actual angry bite. “She seemed to like you very much!”

 Blue eyes fixed him on the spot and Keith almost flinched at the memory from Layla smiling at him. Her smile and her eyes. Copied. Copy and paste, that was what it happened in the case with those two. She even had freckles on the same places as him.

 “I …” Keith trailed, but couldn’t finish from Lance’s growl.

 “I bet you do all kinds of illegal things in the future so you could get her on the dark side! Bombing Galra bases and catching criminals with the Red Lion!” Lance accused with a raised finger, but Keith – even when he wasn’t the quickest to catch certain social clues – grabbed on to the fact that his friend wasn’t really pissed. So he did what he knew best to Lance’s attempts to petty biting.

 He bit back.

 “Well at least she’d have some fun!” Keith yelled, trying not to laugh. “I bet you’re the type of dad who forces her to watch football with you and call it bonding time!”

 Keith would lie if he said he didn’t pull this one out of his ass. But that was the stupidest dad stereotype he could think of, or one that he’d heard around.

 An offended gasp escaped Lance’s lips, his eyes narrowing. “How dare you?! Football is a good game and my daughter would love spending time watching it with me!”

 “She probably roots for the other team since you only like the losers!”

 “Okay, listen here you mulleted–

 Keith didn’t even stop himself for leaning forwards across the table, closer to Lance who wasn’t far to behind on doing the same thing. He couldn’t help, but mirror Lance’s grin and the consideration that he should lean in and kiss him was way too irresistible. His eyes flicked to Lance’s soft lips, his fingers twitching to grab that looser collar of his and just pull him in–

 “You guys are impossible,” snorted Hunk. And that was all it took for the moment to break and for Lance to get distracted, turning back to his best friend. Keith tried to mask his face into indifference, not into the disappointment that would broadcast if he didn’t even try.

 So Keith rolled his eyes and got up from his seat, taking his own dirty plate with him so he could wash it in the sink. The Trio’s chattering was becoming more and more distant the closer he was to the exit of the kitchens when suddenly someone whistled behind him. Keith turned around to see Lance scrambling with his long legs to get to him. And with his steps, the beat of his heart increased.

 “Hey …” the boy began, nervously rubbing his neck. “I just wanted to thank you. For today? I was really going to have a meltdown over this if it wasn’t for you, huh?”

 Keith wasn’t expecting something, but his brain for sure wasn’t prepared for that.

 “O-oh I mean, it’s okay Lance. No one expects you to be perfectly normal about this,” Keith said and looked for something else to say. Something to make Lance feel better. “That’s what friends are for, right?”

 Maybe it was a trick of the light, but it seemed a little flame died out when he said those words. But Lance still nodded and smiled at him sweetly; all of the cotton candies and chocolate in the world made into the physical embodiment of a smile. Somewhere on its way, Keith’s breath couldn’t escape him from the sight of his smile.

 The exact same one that a little girl had, whom was probably in very deep slumber at this moment.

 



{ * }



 

Well … apparently Layla didn’t have as great night as Keith thought she would.

 The team was asked by Allura to come down to the bridge room very early in the morning and no one could contain their surprise when not even two seconds before the princess began speaking, Layla ran into the room, breathing heavily with her black hair disheveled looking like a black cloud made of clouds.

 The ponytail was barely hanging on, but not that backpack that she held onto like a lifeline. Everyone stared at her, but the girl didn’t even bother to look at them as she made her way to no other, but Lance’s chair which thankfully was empty for her to sit on. Keith heard his teammate sucking in a surprised gasp as Layla ceremoniously put the bag on the handle of the chair and plopped down her small head as if it was a pillow. And closed her eyes.

 “Uhhh …” Shiro let out, but everyone kept their looks on her. She looked even more exhausted than when she first came here which led to Keith thinking she possibly could’ve had a very long, unblinking night. He didn’t know why the vision of her alone, in the dark, not succeeding in falling asleep made him hurt in a way that he’s never felt before. Perhaps in the future he never let go of Lance so he held on to his daughter instead. Daughter probably wasn’t even his, seeing how there was no way Lance would want to be with him.

 “Are we sure we want her sleeping in here while we discuss Paladin stuff?” Hunk asked, but no one answered him. Eventually her breathing became slower, her brows settled from furrowed into neutral and her little body sunk lower in Lance’s chair like … like she’d slept there thousands of times.

 “Well, I did call you in here because of Layla. So it seems that it does concern her so I think there’s no problem about her presence,” Allura said and when Keith’s eyes fell on her he saw her fondly staring at the sleeping Layla. She was here for less than a day and already had everyone wrapped around her finger. What a kid.

 Pidge came forwards with her laptop to Coran. “I looked into the readings the Yek’hitians sent us and although I can’t tell how exactly she came here – I did notice some interesting stuff.”

 Allura nodded pleasantly at that and suddenly a picture was shown on the huge screen.

 It looked like it showed the heat signature of the atmosphere, but with different colors instead of the usual green, blue and red he was used to it. Those here were purple, black and white. On the picture, everything looked relatively normal in his opinion. The white color was stretching out in a small circle in the middle, with the black color next around it, and at the end – a nice shade of dark purple that seemed it was leaking out of the ends of it. The resemblance was strongly to a simple mosaic or a snail shell.

 “So this was – let’s say day thirty four – on this planet from where we found Layla. The radiation levels are extremely high, but not out of the ordinary after the Galra slipped in the gas thousands of years before,” Pidge informed and fixated her glasses. Keith wondered if it was a nervous tick for her, she always touched them whenever she talked. “The oxygen is a bit lower than a normal human is used to which is why she’s so tired right now, but all in all everything looks fine on this day.”

 She then clicked on a button and the picture changed. Instead of those three colors only, now a whole a painting of all the colors Keith could name and think of were plastered everywhere on the screen. Blue in all shades with red and yellow, orange and green. There was brown at the seams, but also at the core with flecks of violet and pink around too. As if someone had took a bucket and threw it all over the place.

 “And this is day thirty five. I still can’t read shit on what all the colors mean. I can’t detect any differences on the chemical levels, but it seems that something did happen without nothing happening at the same time,” she muttered, muffled by her fist that had found a place on her lips. “Like it popped out of nowhere.”

 “What if it’s some natural phenomenon that appears because of the radiation?” Hunk offered, but Pidge shook her head in refusal at that.

 “I would’ve caught it eventually when I filtered all of the information from after the Galran attack. Absolutely nothing – this happened for the first time on this planet’s history.”

 Keith nodded in understanding at that, his eyes never leaving the screen.

 “Which is where Layla comes in,” Pidge said. “According to the Yek’hitians, which is why they called us for aid, even scientists from their home planet noticed this anomaly. And according to them and Coran this,” then she thrusted a finger at the colors, “is apparently a very, very huge crack in the matter. Time and space literally deformed themselves before settling in again back to normal. Which is fucking insane, because I still can’t read anything so I’m just going by what everyone has told me for now.”

 She looked very disturbed by that, Keith noticed. No facts or proof from where she could read more about this. They were all going blind in here with the only provider for solid information sleeping and unwilling to talk. Except if it was about hair ties and her daddy maybe.

 “Do the Yek’hitians know what that is?” Allura questioned, an obvious crease between her brows. “Surely they might have something.”

 “Unfortunately – no,” Pidge sighed tiredly. “We’re lucky that they even told us this much.”

 Keith never thought he was dumb, in fact, he prided himself on being smart. After all, he did get into the Garrison and found the Blue Lion.

 But the moment Hunk, Allura Pidge and Coran started throwing scientific terms and too long words around, he decided that it was best for him not to keep up with the conversation anymore, otherwise a headache would form. He noticed that Shiro and Lance were doing the same. There were different kinds of intelligence so it didn’t get to him at all, but he couldn’t help but notice the wistful looks Lance was giving the group. As if he beat himself up that he couldn’t provide anything good into the discussion.

 Just when Keith decided to reassure him in any way, a noise was heard from behind them.

 They all comically snapped their heads to the source and saw Layla getting up from her seat, motions sloppy and uncoordinated. Her face looked paler than before and she let out a small groan, clutching the side of her head.

 “Can I …” she couldn’t even let the words out. Lance wasted no time in coming to her side, his knee touching the floor, while his hand carefully raised like he was afraid that she’d pull away if he touched her.

 “You okay, querida?”

 Keith took a small step forward too when Layla whimpered.

 “Can I have some water, please?”

 “Ah- yes, yes, of course I’m sure that uh we– uhh,” Lance seemed like he was panicking and he looked back to his friends, specifically for Keith who immediately sprung into the action. He jogged towards the kitchens, walls blurry from how fast he was running, and took one of the small bottles of water from the mini fridge that Hunk always kept in for after training and missions.

 When he came back to the bridge, Lance had Layla’s head on his shoulder who was breathing rapidly like she was trying to get oxygen into her lungs, but they gave up mid-way. Her hair was sticking onto her forehead, sticky and wet from sweat. The wheezing that came out of her mouth was like a knife into his heart. Stars, Keith’s hands were shaking and so were Lance’s as he caressed her face, trying to clean it. Shiro was pacing next to Lance and Allura had a hand covering her mouth in shock. It was good, however, that they didn’t seem to crowd over her. Keith knew it would get even worse if the team did that.

 “Here,” said Keith, giving her the bottle, which he opened on his way back when he figured out she wasn’t going to be strong enough to do it alone in her condition. “Small sips.”

 Her hand, trembling, took it from him and Lance’s worried expression grew even more when she couldn’t even lift it to her lips. Keith’s whole body felt like it was squeezing onto itself in misery at the sight. What the fuck was even happening?

 “Papi,” she croaked out and time seemed to still. It froze and it went back into motion. Then it froze again just like Lance whose hand, Keith noticed, tightened around her shoulder protectively. For the first time Layla had acknowledged Lance and it was a bit fucked up that it had to happen under those circumstances. “Papi … my … my backpack. T-the f-first pocket …”

 Lance acted before she could finish and made a grab for the bag where there was a tiny pocket at the front with a zipper. Lance’s breathing mirrored Layla’s from all the anxiety he was feeling right now, but all Keith could do was stand and watch. Because it wasn’t his kid. It was Lance’s. No matter if she was from the future and Lance looked like he could be her older brother, rather than father. Layla was his daughter.

 The Blue Paladin pocketed something and took it out, very gentle as not to jostle the girl too much. It was a plastic or metal white rectangle which seemed like it didn’t have any buttons. Keith’s confusion and panic grew larger. What if she … God what if she died in Lance’s arms because they didn’t know what to do? The thought almost had Keith throwing up on the floor from despair.

 They all noticed Lance turning it over and over again, trying desperately to understand how it worked. He let out an annoyed growl when he failed another attempt to get past the confusion and the purpose of this device.

 “No,” Layla croaked, choked more like it and reached out with her free hand. Keith looked away. “Papa, tengo que tocarlo para que funcione.”

 Lance didn’t look surprised by the perfect Spanish that was let out from her dry lips; probably didn’t even have time to react, but his brain seemed to know what to do and he tenderly took a hold of her weak hand and pressed it to the device. The thin lines on it immediately lit up in blue and from the bottom, a small click was heard and then it let out a purple pill from the bottom of it. Adrenaline maybe got the best of Layla since she found some of the withering power in herself to grab it and put it in her mouth. Afterwards she took a huge gulp of water and she didn’t stop drinking until the small bottle was halfway empty now.

 Keith eagerly accepted it back. His heart was a solid rock in his throat and in his chest. Layla took some deep breaths with Lance shushing her softly. His lips pressed to the crown of her head and Keith could hear faint words of comfort and love being spoken in Spanish.

 Layla took one deep breath again.

 And then she passed out from exhaustion in her father’s arms.



* * *

 

The meeting ended with no success after what the team had just watched. Not because Layla caused every living being’s heart in this room to stop, but also because Pidge nor Coran had any explanation of the situation of the matter being split and cracked on day thirty five on the planet Dokhyna. The picture stayed being projected on the huge screen as if anyone who had ideas on what could’ve possibly caused this – to say them out loud. Yet, Keith had absolutely nothing. But it wasn’t as if he even tried to think thoroughly about it, when all of his brain could storage right now were the two people that were just a few meters away from him.

 After the scare of Layla’s breakdown, Lance didn’t even try to participate. He probably wasn’t even mentally with them anymore.

 The first thing the Blue Paladin did after Layla fainted was to take her fully into his arms and sit on his own chair, the little girl now cuddled to his chest where he rocked her slightly. His strong arms were like vines, wrapped defensively around her small body while he occasionally stroked her forehead and then plant a small kiss from time to time. He could even see his mouth moving, probably whispering sweet things in his mother tongue. But Lance’s eyes were haunted now, the usual vibrant blue with no life or happiness. Just a void – endless tunnels with no end. Keith wished he was brave enough to go there and stroke his worries away, kiss him and tell him everything was okay now.

 Layla was peacefully sleeping, the color on her skin returning to that same warm brown, and she wasn’t sweating buckets anymore. Keith had a very strong desire to also hug her and make sure she was okay. She very obviously was, but … just to make sure. To actually feel there was nothing wrong anymore. That choking and that wheezing were on constant loop in his ears; like demons who had found his personal nightmare and hell.

 Coran had offered to check her vitals, but Lance only tightened his grip on Layla as an answer. The Altean man didn’t need another hint and backed away with a troubled expression. The air was filled with nervous thickness and Keith fidgeted on his place, uncomfortable and feeling out of place.

 Out of nowhere, Keith felt the familiar clutch of a metal hand and he melted under it. Shiro took his shoulder and turned him around like a ragdoll with his little brother not even resisting. The warmth of Shiro’s chest was welcomed and suddenly, it was too much of an effort to keep the tears down. He gulped past the ball in his throat. God.

 Shiro squeezed him and Keith felt him putting his cheek on the top of his head, arms engulfing him around like a shield. Takashi Shirogane always did that perfectly. He protected and loved so generously that there was not a possibility of not returning back the same from what you received.

 “You okay?” A question and Keith wished he could disappear. He was too afraid to answer, too scared of what it could mean if he said it out loud. Confirmed it. Because Keith wasn’t okay.

 He was terrified.

 “This was pretty appalling,” was what he said instead. He could hear the steady heartbeat of his brother and Keith innocently pressed his ear to it, taking comfort in that Shiro was okay at least. “I thought that she’d … God, Shiro–

 It felt like he’d taken a leap from a jagged cliff and now he was falling deeper into darker and darker thoughts, each getting more gruesome and more depressing than the other. The image of Layla choking and never waking up again was the worst torment that his traitorous mind could’ve put him through. And still he didn’t understand why.

 “I know,” Shiro returned simply. “It looked like an allergy reaction, but … I don’t know. I’ve never seen anything like this.”

 Allergy reaction? From what she could’ve possibly be allergic to? She ate her food last night and nothing happened. Unless it was a very slow process until her system gave out.

 “I don’t think Lance will be okay after this,” Keith mumbled and resisted the desire to look at said boy again. He’d probably be in the same position as the last time, hardly ever changing.

 Shiro sighed. “I think every parent would be if they see their own child like this.”

 “Yeah, but why am I–” Keith couldn’t even say the words.

 Why am I feeling like I won’t be okay either?

 Shiro didn’t answer at all, but Keith took notice of the slight tension that seeped through his shoulders and travelled down to the rest of his body. Instead his brother took in a long breath.

 “Listen I think–”

 “Paladins!” Allura called out over what Shiro had been trying to say and Keith immediately unglued himself away from the warm embrace of the Black Paladin. The princess stood at the center of the room, in her own battle gear – armor white and pink – a the warrior this whole universe needed her to be. But now she looked … not as inspirational or joyous. Keith knew the reason why. “I think that’s it for the morning! Prepare for a wormhole in two doboshes as we have been called to help a planet we’ve already freed. Just an easy mission, nothing too harsh.”

 Coran nodded at her little speech and was already walking to the controls when a small voice rose over.

 “Wait! No!”

 Keith jerked to his left in time to see Lance waking up from his accidental nap, startled from Layla’s exclamation. The Red Paladin could see him pulling her to him on reflex, but she fought off his restrain immediately and he let her off with a confused look. The girl climbed down from the chair and grabbed her backpack, opening it behind Lance’s seat so no one could see what remained inside. She was back to being normal and Keith’s heart soared in the sky at the fact.

 There were the sounds of rustling and maybe widgets colliding slightly with the polished floor, but then Layla reappeared back with a black cube and something that resembled a thick tablet with handles on each sides coming out of it. She sat down on the floor and put the items next to her, her head snapping upwards to look at the picture that Pidge still didn’t take down. Layla squinted as Lance leaned a bit closer to look at what was she trying to do.

 Then she took the cube first and fiddled around with it, turning it over and over like it was a rubik’s one, but the difference here was that the thing was entirely black with no colors or symbols to show if her technique was the right one to solving it. But she looked like she knew what she was doing so no one bothered her at all. A small beeping noise was heard when Layla snapped it to the right and a green hologram flew over it.

 Then, a picture, similar to the messy colorful one appeared. And there was obvious writing underside it which Keith didn’t recognize at all. There were swirling marks and dots and had no resemblance to any Earth language Keith had ever seen.

 Pidge was the one who stepped in closer. “Now what the fu–”

 “Pidge.” Shiro was quick to warn.

 “Those are called time storms,” Layla announced. “They happen whenever they want, but they’re not really rare. If you want to travel in time – you need a time storm otherwise it wouldn’t work.”

 “No way!” Hunk breathed out while Pidge looked like she was going to cry herself from happiness or collapse from this new scientific fact.

 Layla tucked a curly lock behind her ear. “Um … yeah. This cube shows me when the next time storm will be and if I’m not here for when it happens, then I can’t go back into my own time.”

 Those were the most words she had said since the moment she arrived.

 Her voice cracked at the end of the sentence and so did Keith’s heart.

 “Doesn’t that mean you can still travel around? We can still go back for when the time storm comes?” Shiro asked carefully and Layla eyed the cube in front of her with guilt. It appeared that she for sure knew more things that she decided to tell so Keith was silently hoping she would explain.

 Layla sighed. “I can do that, but … the time storms can change at any time. And I have to be on the exact same place on which I arrived here if I want this to work.”

 The pause between all of them was settled now, silence over them like a heavy blanket. She looked very nervous and she started scratching her fingers when everyone stared at her. Her blue eyes seemed huger than before from how she owlishly blinked at Allura now.

 “We have to stay here. Please. I just wanna go home.”

 Allura gave up without a fight while Lance lovingly was looking at his daughter. Keith was getting high on his smile. It meant that he was getting back to himself just like the rest of them. “When is the next time storm then?”

 Layla’s lips moved into a tiny, cute hesitant smile that was too innocent for his liking. And in the sweetest tone she could’ve possibly do, she said :

 

 “In one week.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What do you mean I can’t go?!”

 The angry growl in his voice was unrecognizable even in his own ears and he tried not to stare at all the shocked aliens that eyed him from where he had stood up from his seat. Lance’s blood was pulsing with such anger and ferocity and honestly, he couldn’t give less than two fucks about what the Scientific Cabinet thought of his behavior right now. He had every damn right to be angry. How could a bunch of highly intelligent group of aliens managed to miss a eight year old stealing tech from them? He had to talk to Pidge about the security.

 “Well, if the little Miss McClain had been a little less reckless – we wouldn’t have been in this situation, Blue Paladin.” An Olkarion male had called out, dressed in a white lab apron with the logo on the front.

 Lance gritted his teeth, eyes narrowing with his voice dripping of poison.

 “Careful there. That’s my fucking daughter you’re talking about,” he said and conveyed with his eyes to the man, how careless he was he would be if he said one more thing about his family. Layla was a little girl, alone, lost in the middle of the past, somewhere far away from him. Far from her own family.

 He had to take a few deep breaths to calm down.

 If only Keith was here. Even years of fighting a war, everyone still deemed his husband the more intimidating. Which he was, of course, but it didn’t mean that Lance wasn’t capable of great violence if someone dared to go against those he loved.

 But that was okay – let them underestimate his anger.
 It would just be more satisfying in the end.

 “Mr. McClain, your daughter was the first known time traveler in universal history. Please understand that my team and I weren’t prepared for this kind of situation,” said Ryner from where she was standing up, on the podium as the rightful leader she was. She was softer and kinder with her words for now which he appreciated infinitely. Because no matter how much rage he felt, towards Layla and towards himself, was better than sinking into the worry that began freezing his whole body the moment Pidge had called to him, saying that Layla was gone. Used the TTP and went back in time.

 He should’ve known she’d try something stupid like that, if only he kept an eye–

 “And Layla used tech which is unstable and not finished yet. We didn’t confirm anything. It’d take us at least two phoebs to bring her back. And that’s the minimal alternative,” muttered Pidge next to him and he felt her hand sliding into his, squeezing it tenderly. Lance sighed and pushed tears of anger and despair back. It wasn’t the time to cry no matter how much he wanted to.

 “Time is different everywhere, Mr. McClain. It could be two phoebs for us while two quintants for her,” said a Galran female scientist whom Lance had seen talking to Layla a few times.

 “Or it could be two decaphoebs for all we know,” fired darkly Lance. “Why can’t I just get the second TTP and go to her so at least she won’t be alone? You can tell me on which time storm we have to get on and I will.”

 “Because the tech is unstable after Layla went back in time,” informed a human where they stood on Ryner’s left. They had huge glasses and were going through papers, not even looking Lance in the eyes as they continued. “She accidentally used too much matter quintessence which is probably what caused her into going too back in the timeline than she originally wanted. If we tried to get you back with her – you might not even make it, Mr. McClain.”

 “Can we track the exact year or date?” Lance demanded and shook off from Pidge’s grip so he could lean his hands on the table.

 Pidge huffed and clicked a few buttons on her tech watch. “I can’t say for sure … possibly decades. Time where she wasn’t even born yet.”

 Everyone in the room hissed in a breath and Lance’s heart fell in his stomach. Oh God. That could mean a lot of bad things happening to his little girl if she stayed too long in a time where she doesn’t exist yet. He visited enough lectures with his insisting daughter to know.

 He felt his legs shaking and not caring anymore if he looked scary or not, Lance collapsed into his chair, fingers tugging at the short locks of his hair. He tried to get his breathing under control, but all kinds of negative possibilities and outcomes played in his mind.

 Pidge reached out and rubbed his back in comfort.

 “I’m sorry, Lance. The best thing we can do right now is hope that she doesn’t use the TTP for the next time storm … or she won’t be able to make it.”

 Breathe breathe breathe
 In and out; in and out. Just imagine Keith is here with you. Keith who could always calm him with just a feathery touch, a gentle kiss or words that were always enough for you.

 “When is the closest time storm?”

 A dangerous question and Lance’s fear for the answer was a black hole, bigger than the biggest planet he had ever seen, ready to swallow everything on its path.

 Ryner rubbed her forehead and her face was scrunched in pity.

 “For us – it would be tomorrow. We still have no information on when it would be for Layla since she took one of the storm predictor cubes.”

 Of course she fucking did. This girl either didn’t do anything at all or did everything perfectly with no mistakes. There was never in between or middle ground for her. Layla would never settle for average.

 A huge bear-like alien, with fur and kind eyes fixed their gaze on Lance. “We will do everything in our power to bring your daughter back, Blue Paladin.”

 All the aliens and humans nodded in agreement and Lance’s gratitude made the hot unshed tears to go up at the surface. Everything in his life was falling apart right now. First Keith, then Layla and he couldn’t even imagine how he’d explain this catastrophe to the team or to his–

 Alarms started blaring through the speakers, red and loud, interrupting his inner monologue. It was like a punch to the face and everyone sprung to their feet, including Lance. The sound was cutting through his headache like a blazing knife, but Lance still managed to activate his bayard in no time, with Pidge not wasting time to unlock her either. The whole room was waiting in anticipation while Lance cut through the mass of worried people and stood on the front – raised rifle, ready to shoot at anything that looked like a threat to him and to all the people who were the only ones who could bring his child back to him.

 Soon enough, the doors departed and an Altean man stood on the entrance, his eyes big and bulging with his chest going frantically up and down. At the sight of Lance’s weapon he immediately raised his hands up, but Lance dropped his bayard instead when he saw the badge hanging from his neck and the white apron that everyone who worked here wore.

 “Ryner! Someone has broken in in the Time Travel sector!”

 “What?!” Pidge shrieked and marched to Lance’s said, her green bayard ready to be used. “What the fuck do you mean? Who?!”

 “We don’t know yet!” The man replied, his voice high and afraid. “Camera security is working on identification as we speak! But they stole the other TTP, the last one! We were too late, they’ve escaped and we can’t track them!”

 Lance was fuming at this point. His head turned to Ryner whom looked in absolute shock.

 “Who else knows the password to the section besides all the people in this room?”

 He stared over her shoulder, at where a video began playing – very obvious footage of that person or perhaps an alien breaking in. All the scientists and Lance watched, but whoever the thief was – they were smart enough to hide with a mask hiding their nose and mouth, and a pulled hood over their head.

 “No one!” Ryner defended. “No one except for you and–”

 And then it happened.

 The stealer, after grabbing all items needed, turned around and after that small motion – Lance’s sniper eyes still caught it. Even though they kept their head downwards, Lance would recognize them anywhere. How many times had he looked at that face and made it smile, laugh and look at Lance with all the unconditional love? It hit Lance like a fast going train and he felt like he was in those movies, where someone was tied on the rails, with no hope for someone to save him.

 

 

 

 Because that face?

 That face had just taken his only ticket to his daughter and doomed themselves in the process.

Notes:

- i am so so excited to hear your feedback and theories again ✨ ! and i hope i scared you all with layla in this chpater ;) i promise you again that everything in this story is planned and nothing is a coincidence!

- ok so, just to be clear - i'm totally bullshitting all the science in this fic. i am a history and literature nerd, physics and math are literally my weakest subjects. of course, i'm giving my best effort for all of this to sound believable, but don't take it too seriously otherwise i'd throw myself :::::)))

- let me just explain how time works : time is different for layla and lance in the future. for her one month passed since she used the Time Travel Prototype (TTP) while for Lance - only one day. Just explaining it again if no one understood!

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! SEE YOU NEXT TIME! 💗🌙🖋️

Chapter 4: outside

Summary:

He noticed that she wasn’t like him exactly. Which was perfectly fine, your own children have their own personality and it wasn’t as if Lance had inherited all of the qualities his parents had. But Layla was different in a way that he couldn’t put his finger on; in a way that was not familiar to himself, but to someone else.

Notes:

hi bbies! i missed you all! i wanted to post on sunday, but i couldn't finish the chapter on time by then so YUH. this one is aaaaalmost 7k words which i hope makes up for the wait! i think posting once in a week sounds okay, no? tell me what you think!

ENJOY THE CHAPTER LOVELIES! 💗🌺

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

chapter four

outside

 

 

When Lance was twelve, Veronica broke her hand from when she fell off a tree.

 Lance and Rachel dared her and claimed she was too much of a chicken to do it. Truthfully, Lance didn’t expect that she would actually go for it – and so did his twin. Veronica has always been so composed, neat and serious even as a little girl, but her fear of heights back then was the only thing stopping her from being the greatest among the McClain siblings. So Veronica glowered at them behind her huge glasses, uncrossed her arms and did it. She began climbing the big apple tree in their backyard with full determination in every move.

 To this day he could still hear his sister’s broken scream from when she collided with the ground. Her cries of help that it hurt too much, it hurt, it hurt …

 His heart was like glass at that moment, breaking into millions of pieces with every whimper and painful moan that Veronica couldn’t hold back in her throat. Because Veronica never liked to show she was afraid or if she was aching. He wouldn’t forget his mother’s eyes, containing so much fear and panic at the sight of Veronica wheezing from all the tears as her arm was bent in the wrong way. His father ran to their car while his mom tried to help her oldest daughter stand, trying not to hurt her in the process.

 Lance still remembered the tears that were falling on his mom’s cheeks, wondering why she cried. It was not her arm that was broken – so why did she cry?

 “Lo siento, lo siento mucho cariño,” she would say through her own cries, trying to lift Veronica from the ground while he and Rachel helplessly watched. “Está bien, está bien.”

 But even with all the grief enveloping his heart, Lance wanted to ask. Why was his mom apologizing? It was not her fault, it was his and Rachel’s. Why did she cry? He could never get it and frankly, he was too afraid to ask his mother. So he never did.

 It wasn’t until he held his own daughter in his arms, choking and wheezing, too weak to even talk that Lance finally understood.

 Because all of this helplessness that Lance saw on his own mother, the tears and the fear?

 He felt it.

 He felt it so deep into the core of his heart and every breath that Layla couldn’t take was his own personal torture. He would rather be handed over to Haggar than experience those emotions ever again.

 Because his mother cried, and his mother apologized because she wanted to take the pain away, but she couldn’t. This was why Lance had felt so desperate and dejected. Because he would rather feel what Layla did instead of watching her from the side, so helpless and so pathetic.

 “I’m staying here.”

 After Layla announced what time storms were and how she couldn’t move away from the galaxy, even from the planet, his team was split and confused on what to do next when it came down to being called for help. After all, they were Voltron. That was their job and that was their duty – to protect, help and attack if needed. He could see Shiro’s eyes darting nervously to the side, watching the message and Hunk biting the skin on his knuckles. Pidge and Keith didn’t look conflicted, but there was a notable strain that Lance noticed in Keith’s stance.

 So Lance made a decision that didn’t require much thought.

 “What?”

 Allura placed her hard glance on his face from when she was speaking to Coran, but Lance was already prepared and squared his shoulders. He wasn’t backing down on this. He wouldn’t.

 “I said--”

 “I heard what you said,” Allura snapped and Lance glared at her. “Why?”

 Lance opened his mouth to answer. To say how they should go and help the planet and its inhabitants, that just because he was missing didn’t mean that the mission would be unsuccessful. That he would rather stay behind and selfishly have some time with his daughter than go on a simple mission that was surely going to be a supply run.

 A mission he’d probably ruin anyways so what was really the point of going?

 But before he could say all he wanted to, it was Keith who marched to him and looked up at his face. Lance didn’t miss how Layla tracked the Red Paladin with her eyes and inched closer to him from her seat on the floor. Why was she so … attached to him? Was Lance not a good parent in the future to the point his own kid wanted someone else?

 “Stop doing that,” Keith suddenly hissed, his face twisting into one with anger and frustration. Although Lance’s shoulders bunched at his tone, already on the defensive, like Keith was an wild animal going in for an attack, he saw that the anger wasn’t directed at him per se.

 He raised a nonchalant brow. Tried to pretend and put on the mask of indifference because the close proximity to Keith was too much to bare. His heart tried to escape away from his chest, but Lance didn’t let it. Would never let it apparently if he had a child with someone else who wasn’t Keith.

 “Doing what?” Lance whispered back, confused on what was Keith trying to say.

 The other boy however didn’t give a proper answer. He huffed, nostrils widening and his hands tightened on the grab he had of his leather jacket from where he had crossed his arms. Keith always did that whenever he couldn’t express himself with words, Lance knew. It was cute, adorable even, when he probably didn’t realize he was doing it. He always had these tells about him.

 Keith wasn’t great with words, but his body language was a whole book.

 Keith was open in a way with his eyes and body instead that whatever answers you needed – you could always get them if you knew when and how to look. Lance didn’t understand how he could ever think of his friend as stoic or emotionless when Keith was the opposite of that. A boy of actions who did more than he ever could say. Expressions so sincere and true that Lance himself didn’t have enough words in his Spanish or English dictionary to describe them.

 “You just think that we won’t need you there! Which is stupid!” Keith whispered an yell and Lance looked around the room, praying that no one heard him. He noticed all of their stares and panic settled in his gut. Keith continued. “Just--”

 “Keith,” Lance warned and he took advantage of those inches he had on him to try to make himself look taller and more intimidating. Not that it would work against the best fighter on the team next to Shiro who could kill him with just two moves, but it was worth a try. It wasn’t Keith’s business to boast about Lance’s deepest insecurities in front of the team. “I’m doing this for Layla. Drop it.”

 Keith’s indigo eyes flared in anger up at him. “No.”

 Lance took a step closer, but Keith didn’t back down. Not that he expected him to do. Lance knew that Keith only had good intentions, and he appreciated how much the other cared, but …

 “You are the Blue Paladin--” Keith started, but Lance stopped him halfway.

 “And you need to shut up.

 “Make me.”

 It was just him and Keith now, their noses and foreheads almost touching like the day before where the boy calmed him down from having a breakdown. But this was different now, Lance realized bitterly. Sadly, the desire to kiss Keith’s lips never went away even when they were like this – on the verge of fighting and not backing down when the other went up. He wished Keith wasn’t so scrupulous no matter how much he loved that about him.

 A petty retort was on its way to come out, words Lance knew he’d regret later on, but the heat of the moment, the bitterness of the fight was too good to resist. Keith must have seen it on his face and he looked as if he was preparing himself for the fight. And then Lance felt a small touch, a slight pull of the sleeve of his jacket.

 He looked down perplexed and met Layla’s eyes staring right at him. He saw her other hand which had gripped Keith’s jeans.

 “Please don’t fight,” she said in a small voice. Then she shook her head. “I don’t like it when you do that.”

 Lance wanted to turn his hand around and take hers in it. The memory of her ashen and weak face was still imprinted like a photo in his brain and it felt like whenever he closed his eyes – he could still see it so perfectly clear; perfectly real. Because that happened and Lance didn’t have the slightest fucking idea on what to do and if Layla didn’t tell him about the pills in her backpack, she could’ve died.

 That was a great reminder on why he wanted to stay behind and why Keith was wrong to assume stupid shit.

 “I’m sorry, querida,” Lance crooned sweetly to her and offered her a smile. A bit of a fake one, he was going to admit. “But our buddy Keith here doesn’t seem to mind his business.”

 Layla’s forehead wrinkled.

 “You know what? Fine.” Keith retorted, taking a step back and when Lance glanced back at his friend, he caught his face falling into the mode of apathy and detachment. Which scared Lance in a way because this meant he couldn’t read Keith. Couldn’t get to him. “Whatever.”

 And with that, he flipped his bangs away and walked away from Lance. Leaving the space around him cold and empty. A small sigh escaped from Layla.

 “Great. Now he’s even angrier,” she deadpanned.

 “No he’s not,” defended Lance. His eyed the Red Paladin the entire time and he saw how calmer he seemed now when his legs carried him to their leader. No tense shoulder or furious marching. “See? He just needs to cool off--”

 He began smiling, trying to comfort Layla into not worrying about arguments between two teammates of Voltron, but stopped himself when she shook her head and rolled her eyes.

 Familiar Familiar Familiar

 “Not true. If he’s silent it means you’re in real trouble.”

 She said it so simply as she stretched out the vowels in ‘real’. So easily like she knew … like she knew from experience rather than just sheer observation. Lance squinted suspiciously at her face trying to make sense of her face and her voice. But Layla was just holding on to him meanwhile tracking Keith’s every motion.

 “And how would you know that?” He asked.

 Layla unsubtly and slightly jumped at the question, but then she blinked up innocently at him as if to ask “How do I know what?” but it was too late as he already caught that. Nice try though. Lance raised his eyebrows in expectance for her answer. She bit her lip and gave him a golden fake smile even faker than his own. Damn, she really was his daughter.

 “I just do. I spend a lot of time with uh-- you know,” she looked idly at some point in the distance like she had to hold herself back from saying something. “ … Keith.”

 Her face scrunched into one of displeasure when she said Keith’s name and her nose from left to ride like the one of a rabbit. Familiar, he thought again. Why was everything about Layla so painfully familiar and yet he couldn’t figure out why and how it was.

 “Lance?”

 Lance stopped analyzing Layla’s face when he heard Allura call his name and his eyes fixated on the princess from the distance.

 “Yeah?”

 “Are you sure you want to stay? We could still leave Layla to Coran for the two vargas we’ll be gone,” she said like she was hoping he’d change his mind in just less than two minutes. For a small, very small split of the moment he thought if it was a better idea to actually go where he belonged, shoulder to shoulder with his teammates and in his Lion. But then Layla’s hand unconsciously held on a little stronger to his jacket, protective and stubborn and maybe she wanted to ask him not to leave, but couldn’t form it into words. Wasn’t probably able to do that.

 “Yeah,” Lance replied undoubtedly and didn’t return Keith’s gaze from where he felt it burning his skin.

 “Okay,” Allura said with an accepting sigh and then she clasped her hands together. “The rest of you – suit up! Voltron is needed!”

 

 

* * *

 

 

They decided it was best for Lance and Blue to land on Dokhyna while the Castle wormholes for where it was needed to be. Allura assured him that if there was any problem, he could inform them via a communicator that Coran handed to him before they went back to the ship. And since Pidge said the oxygen levels here were lower, he requested a helmet for Layla for he didn’t want something bad to happen again to her. He’d do anything in his powers to prevent whatever occurred on the Bridge no matter what.

 They were currently outside with Layla lounging on Blue’s paw, legs kicking in back and forth as she tried to place the too big for her helmet on her head. She had grumbled in annoyance when Lance gave it to her, but didn’t say anything and put it on. Lance was tempted to ask her about the pill she took and what happened earlier, but something told him that if he tried to interrogate her – she’d only pull away. Which he didn’t want because Lance was reveling in how Layla finally showed him some warmth.

 Dokhyna was a really beautiful planet, he thought passively. It really looked like a setting from a sci-fi movie mixed with in with a cyberpunk setting. Like a futuristic New York, but it missed a lot of Earth elements too if he looked too closely. There was no wind and there wasn’t a breeze. The air was as dead as a corpse. No sounds could be heard and no signs of any life whatsoever, not even animals or creatures.

 A fallen ancient city no one visited anymore. Such a ghost town. Which made him wonder …

 “How did you survive on this place?” Lance said, not turning back to look at Layla, but kept his eyes locked onto the landscape on the front.

 He waited for her response and after a few long seconds, she decided to grant him one.

 “I brought a lot of food and water with me,” Layla said. “I wasn’t sure where I would end up so it was just in case.”

 Lance twirled himself back. She was patting Blue gently on one of her claws with a soft smile which was contagious enough for Lance to do the same. He noticed that she wasn’t like him exactly. Which was perfectly fine, your own children have their own personality and it wasn’t as if Lance had inherited all of the qualities his parents had. But Layla was different in a way that he couldn’t put his finger on; in a way that was not familiar to himself, but to someone else. Instead of loud and expressive, she was quiet and reserved, even shy.

 Perhaps she was shier when she found herself in a time where he now didn’t have a bond or shared memories with her.

 His eyes trailed down. “You really put a lot of things in that backpack of yours, huh?”

 Layla looked up at his question and with the motion, her helmet slipped to the side. Lance’s heart soared at the cuteness.

 “I wear it with me everywhere,” she answered hesitantly, but Lance could see … pride in her eyes from behind the glass. “It was a birthday present from Uncle Kashi last year ‘cuz he knows I want to be a space science explorer!”

 “Wow really? That sounds awesome!” Lance put that usual expressive surprise and curiosity in his tone, using it only when talking to little kids. He didn’t know if Layla liked it or not, or if she was already deemed “too old” in future Lance’s eyes though he hardly doubted that.

 But she beamed like a shiny sun after a rainy day at that and maybe even a bit shocked that Lace would be interested in her dream job.

 “I know!” She laughed and then jumped down to her backpack where she opened it. He tried not to invade her privacy, but it was obvious there was a lot of shit in there. Just how many things could be hints of what his life was in years? He was dying to know.

 Layla pulled out a big book with brown leather covers and a lot of random stickers glued on the front. It was obviously used judging by the rumpled ends on the end of the paper and how … ruffled the whole thing looked. But despite that it still seemed as if the little girl took great care of that item. Layla rushed with her small legs to his side and all he wanted to do was to open his arms, let her fall into them. The blissful feeling of hugging her never went away, Lance noticed.

 Amused by how eager she was to show him, Lance kneeled with one knee to the ground with the other prompted up. Layla settled on to sit on said knee without paying him mind and he tried not to grunt at the force and the heaviness. He could already feel his thigh cramping later, because now there was no way he’d push her away unless she wanted to go away herself.

 “This is my research journal,” Layla said, puffing her chest up boastfully like she was hoping for Lance to praise her. He felt her leaning too much back and scared that she might fall, Lance entranced his hand around her waist to keep her from falling. “All the aliens and the plants, and the planets – I draw everything here! And then I write all the important stuff! See?”

 And yes, when he looked down, he could see it all on the blank white sheet of thick paper. She had very obviously the abilities of a small kid so he couldn’t say if he didn’t know the drawn alien because he couldn’t recognize them or because he genuinely never met these species in all the year he had been in space. Layla had sketched a big one that looked like a mix between a penguin and … a bear? She had colored it with a lot of red and green crayons that went a bit out of the lines, but it was still so charming and adorable; at how much thought she’d obviously put in it.

 A title on the top was written in black felt-tip pen and there was a description underneath the …

 “What’s that?” Lance asked and yanked his gaze away from the page to look at Layla.

 “This is a Naflanian! They like to sleep outside on the cold when it’s night and eat only fruits from special trees otherwise they get sick in their tummies! I met one a few months ago and I wanted to ask some questions, but I was too … uh …”

 A strange look passed over her features and Lance snorted gently. “Too shy?”

 He had figured that from the moment they’d met her.

 Layla nodded up and down slowly and rubbed her hand over the page nervously. “You always tell me that I shouldn’t be ashamed if I’m shy.”

 “And I’m right,” Lance immediately responded when he felt a subtle change in her mood. It was as if she was insecure in a way. “Being shy doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. It’s just who you are, querida. There is nothing wrong with that.”

 Layla didn’t say anything, but he felt her leaning more onto him now. His heart was bursting at the seams from how much love and affection there was for this little girl, this small human that he would create one day, to the point he wanted to swing her around and yell at the top of his lungs how much he adored her.

 Afterwards, they spent maybe an hour reading and talking about everything that Layla had written down in her journal – from bugs on a planet that could read your mind to aliens at the size of giants and titans, and even places where they were beasts who resembled freaking dinosaurs.

 They reached the end of the book, or at least to the part where Layla stopped halfway. During the tenth page, Lance proposed with a very aching thigh and a very oblivious Layla that maybe it would be better if they were chilling in the Blue Lion. She agreed with a hop off from him, excited that they’d continue talking about her interests in alien species.

 A comfortable silence settled between them, her head resting on his shoulder as Lance skimmed through the pages of the journal one more time. A bit selfishly, he’d admit, it was a great ego booster that Layla was so smart and showing it from early age. Then she murmured a question in his ear.

 “You don’t think it’s boring, do you?”

 Lance felt as if she hit him straight in the face. She was now in his lap from where he was sitting on the pilot chair, patiently waiting for the team to come back.

 “What? No!” He exclaimed, shocked. “You’re very talented! Layla, the effort and love you put into this journal is amazing! Why would you think that?”

 Layla huffed sadly and her face now went more serious than before. He tried to turn his head in a certain angle to look her directly in the eyes, but she kept turning herself away stubbornly.

 “I don’t know,” she admitted with a light shrug of her shoulders. “My-- … um … I have a friend who does a lot of cooler things than me. I’m just … drawing stuff.”

 Lance could feel himself scowling in disapproval in the middle of her sentence, feeling Blue’s sense stroking the edges of his mind with a gentle caress. It didn’t make sense somehow in his brain, that his own daughter who was obviously so smart, beautiful and creative could degrade herself so much. He’d known her for only for a day, but he could already see Layla growing up into one of the most extraordinary people he’d have the privilege of seeing and raising.

 “But Layla, you’re still so young,” he told her softly. “And I think ‘drawing stuff’ is just as cool if I’m being honest.”

 Her huge hair got in his face a bit, and it smelled of that juniberry shampoo Allura used when she snuggled into him closer.

 “So you’re not gonna be mad if I’m not like-- …” she started whispering and Lance hugged her tighter in an act of encouraging for her to keep going, “if I’m not like that cool friend?”

 ‘You’re not gonna be mad’, she had said. Which, if he assumed correctly, implied that Layla hasn’t muttered a word of those drawings, and her passion to her father in the future. That hurt in a way he’d never would imagine to be. Those words were sharp knives cutting his heart all around. Didn’t she trust him back in her time? Was he a terrible parent that his only child would be afraid to confide with him?

 His lips began to tremble.

 “I could never be angry if you’re not like another person,” he said confidently, trying to fight the sob rising in his throat, but set on for her to believe every single word, because he meant it. And he was foolishly hoping that his future-self did so too. “The only person I want you to be is yourself. I would never want another Layla. Ever.

 Lance assured her and so, he planted a small kiss at the top of the crown of her head. Perhaps more for his own comfort than hers.

 And after that, somehow … even if he couldn’t see her face, he could swear on his life that he felt her smile.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Hey.”

 To give him the credit he always deserved, one Lance was never going to openly give, Keith didn’t jump nor gave any implications that he was startled by his voice.

 The Red Paladin was lounging on one of the plushy love seats that Pidge and Hunk had bought from one of the Space Mall visits, when the whole team was introduced to the beautiful place that Allura called ‘observation deck’. Lance himself visited this place too many times, taking comfort in the wide void and all the sparkling stars and planets that seemed so far, far away and yet Lance would claim that he could just reach out and take them in his own bare hands. He would have dreams of all the future adventures that awaited him, but he also dreamed of home.

 That’s where he left his heart after all. In that big house filled with love, laughter and smiles, but also of fights and tears. He left his everything in his mother’s hands the moment he leaned down to kiss her salty, tear strained cheek at the porch of their home, dressed in the Garrison uniform they sent him through the mail.

 “Estar seguro, mi hijo,” Celia Cruz muttered against his forehead that one day as she stroked his curls back lovingly.

 Be safe, my son.

 His heart clenched in pain at the memory. Lance didn’t know if he could keep up his promise anymore while he was fighting in a war. And although Layla was the proof of that he did survive, he wasn’t stupid enough to believe he was bulletproof now. The future wasn’t set on stone and neither was Lance. Or Keith, or the whole Voltron team for that matter.

 Not even his daughter. One wrong move from him and she could be gone forever, just a dream and a possibility lost in the line of time.

 Lance’s eyes squeezed and he pushed the negativity thoughts away, and when he opened them again, Keith still had his back turned on him. He had a thin blanket thrown over his shoulders, but he looked like he had barely moved an inch even when Lance greeted him. The time was roughly around after midnight now, Layla hopefully asleep in her room. After that rollercoaster of a day – she needed it more than anything. Lance had tucked her in her bed after dinner, melting when he saw her in the pajama the princess landed her, hugging a knitted plushy toy. It didn’t look like an animal from Earth, but Lance decided to ask for another day since Layla looked ready to drop dead the moment he left.

 Lance completed all of his beauty nightly routines, dressed in his shirt and sweatpants, and slipped under the covers. Which ended up with him turning around for more times he could count. Which ended up with Lance ending up on a nightly walk that resulted to the decision of chilling on the observation deck, only to find Keith there.

 He wasn’t surprised anymore. This did become “their spot”, Lance realized with all the butterflies flying deep in his gut, after months of quiet talks and banters. And with Keith’s tendencies of a night owl? Fuck … maybe some small part of him hoped and relied on the fact he’d find his teammate here.

 Lance took a step and marched to where Keith was. He settled on the other side of the love seat, as far away as he could, albeit never taking his besotted gaze away from the boy. How could he? Keith looked like the most beautiful siren from all the myths and stories about them under the lights.

 ‘Beautiful creatures that lurked away the sailors with their angelic appearances and voices, making the ships wreck into the rocks near the shore.’

 Keith’s long eyelashes flickered and he glanced subtly at Lance, the indigo in them so intense under the shine of the stars. Keith always managed to steal his breath away and Lance feared that one day his lungs wouldn’t catch up on time and he’d suffocate. Drown and wreck just like a shipman under the siren spells Keith used unconsciously against him.

 It would be a very sweet death though.
 Lance wouldn’t say he’d mind it.

 “Hey,” Lance said again. More quietly though.

 More intimately.

 Keith scanned him up and down, analyzing something perhaps, but at the end he just answered with nothing and turned his head back to the stars. Away he always went, running towards paths where Lance feared that someday he couldn’t follow.

 “I’m not in the mood for talking,” he cut off when he probably saw with the corner of his eye that Lance opened his mouth to say something again.

 “Funny,” returned Lance with a snort immediately, not even saving time to register what’d he say, because once again his lips let words slip faster than his brain. “You never really are.”

 Keith’s angry glare was like a laser beam on his side profile, and no matter how much Lance wished to turn around and let himself be devoured in those purple starlight pools, he was stubbornly watching the laid out in front of him shiny dots. “You’re an asshole, you know that, right?”

 Lance offered a shrug and a mocking grin. “You’re not the freshest apple in the basket either, Mullet, but you don’t hear me complaining.”

 Then he tilted his head to the side, smirking at the sight of Keith’s red face. Probably from all the inward anger he was feeling right now, keeping it inside and not letting it explode.

 “Do you?”

 Lance didn’t know if Keith knew that he was using his flirty tone; didn’t know how he’d feel if Keith knew. But maybe Keith figured out it was all just a part of his teasing and a role he had to play so he could cover up all of his honest thoughts and desires. And God, if he didn’t have too many of those. Like how Keith’s hair would feel, slipping like silk between his fingers or how his hand would feel against Lance’s lips.

 Keith scoffed humorlessly, breaking their eye contest at that and hugged the blanket closer around his body. “Idiot.”

 Lance chuckled lightly at that and leaned his back on the seat. He reached with his arms behind the back of his head and crossed his fingers – the picture perfect of levity and casualness. Even though his heart pounded and Lance heard it himself when the silence settled.

 They watched the stars together, but now it wasn’t as comfortable as he would like.

 The thing about Keith was, the thing he loved about him, that Lance never felt pressured to talk. Keith was awkward at times and a bit clueless, but if Lance wasn’t in the mood to engage in a conversation, Keith has never questioned it. Just let him be himself and exist in his own space and bubble. Sure, Lance loved conversations and he loved to speak, but there were times when it all became too much and he just craved for some silence. To settle down and think. To never be judged, or asked about why he was so quiet. Keith never judged him, never asked.

 And so, he was content with the silence even if it felt stained with pressure and tension. His surprise was immense when Keith was the one who cut through it while losing a breath.

 “I hate when you do that,” he said, but not elaborating. The words didn’t contain much emotion and Lance couldn’t trace what he meant by ‘that’.

 Lance turned his head and raised a curious brow. “I don’t kno--”

 “Cut the bullshit, Lance,” Keith snapped and the fire in his eyes ignited at that as he returned the look Lance sent him. The color in them was like one of an alexandrite, precious jewels containing so much anger that it should’ve physically slammed into Lance from how real it was. This wasn’t a painfully angry Keith who scowled and frowned at his antics. No. It had been a long time since his teammate dared to give him that look. “I am so …”

 His fingers squeezed the blanket with more force, his knuckles turned white. Lance kept his mouth shut, trying not to add more fuel into this fire. He noticed the flush on Keith’s cheeks.

 “I am so fucking tired of you thinking we don’t need you,” Keith settled on. Lance’s brain finally caught on.

 “Wait, is this about the fight we had today?” He groaned at that and rolled his eyes. “Keith–”

 “Of course it’s about today!” He exclaimed, his voice cracking as it went high in a broken tone, and Lance almost recoiled back from the invisible force. “You always do that! I know you wanted to spend time with Layla, but–”

 “It was a goddamn supply mission, holy shit man! Cool your jets – you all managed to carry some boxes without me! What’s the big deal if I wasn’t there?” Lance interrupted him and flung his arms around, expressively, feeling the anger from the morning simmer his blood. It was contagious, Keith’s rage. Lance still couldn’t see why he made a fly out of an elephant. Maybe it was a mistake to share all of this to Keith and expect the other to mind his goddamn business.

 “I’m not talking about today specifically! It’s about the principal! You just think that you’re useless and worthless and that we don’t need you! How could you ever think that, Lance? It pisses me off so much!”

 In the process, Keith decided that he couldn’t stay on one place and got on his feet. His hair was all over the place, a halo of black locks, and even during fighting, Lance had to gulp down a ‘woah’ from how beautiful he was. So passionate about Lance’s own insecurities like it was his problem to solve. Which it wasn’t.

 “I thought you weren’t in the mood for talking?”

 It was the wrong thing to say, Lance knew. He knew he was being an asshole and deflected all of Keith’s points in order to not address them. To not confront them. Because if it led to Lance talking about his issues then he would probably cry in front of his crush and he didn’t want that in the slightest.

 But unfortunately, Keith was smart enough to know that Lance skillfully used humor as a mechanism against shit like that.

 “You--” he whispered dangerously, his eyes narrowing as took a step forwards, before he stopped himself.

 “Me? How about you?” Lance seethed and dropped the carefree façade in order to lean in Keith’s direction with a glare. “How about you stop flaunting my insecurities around when the team is here?!”

 Keith’s eyes widened a fraction and he looked shocked at what came out from Lance’s lips. As if he hasn’t considered Lance’s feelings in this at all and just now he realized what he’d done. Realizing he’d hurt Lance.

 The sigh should’ve softened him, it should’ve reminded him to stop before he takes it too far, because fuck Keith wasn’t a bad person for wanting to help Lance.

 It should’ve, but it didn’t.

 “How about tomorrow I go and start parading to our friends about how you have troubles connecting with people?” Stop, stop, stop was repeating in Lance’s head. Yet he continued, feeling gross and horrible at the hurt that flashed in those eyes. “Or how you think that Red and Allura keep you in Voltron only because of your fighting skills? Oh! And let’s look at how much you actually hate yourself and the fact that you’re a Galra and you think that we’ll leave you on the next stop over the smallest things because Keith here has freaking abandonment issues!

 And then Keith flinched.

 He blinked once and he took a small step back as he flinched.

 The badass, blade-wielding Red Paladin of Voltron, the most fearsome member of the team who knew all the ways to kill a person in negative time, amazing and strong Keith flinched as if Lance slapped him across the face. But he might’ve as well did exactly that, for the pain would probably not sting that awfully if Lance kept those ugly words behind his teeth.

 Lance felt the regret looming over him, seeping all around his body. He sighed sadly and raised a hand to rub his eyes that he felt burning with incoming tears. Fuck, why did he say that? He thought he’d find some satisfaction in hurting Keith the same way the other boy hurt him, but … the dirtiest scum in all of the universe at this very moment was Lance McClain.

 He heard Keith’s feet scraping lightly on the ground like he was leaving. Leaving. Lance removed his hand away and looked up on time. Keith was taking off the blanket from his shoulders and then threw it on the loveseat next to him, his face passive and cold.

 Just like this morning. Putting the mask on and then Lance absolutely knew was only for a show because he’d probably break down later. Break down, because of Lance and because of what he said to him. Because as much as Keith was as strong and tough as metal, he was also sensitive, tender and warm. Easily hurt by those he loved; those he held close to his heart. And Lance was one of those people.

 “If he’s silent it means you’re in real trouble,” Layla had said to him.

 Lance sprung onto his feet and took a hold of Keith’s wrist before he once again moved too out of reach. Unattainable. “Hey, no, listen I’m sorry–”

 He made a move to smear his thumb over Keith’s pulse point lovingly, trying to transfer how much regret he felt.

 “Lance.” Was all Keith said and his cold fingers circled his own wrist. For a quick, swift hopeful second Lance had faith that everything was okay. But Keith didn’t touch him, because he wanted to; he touched Lance so he could wrench his hand away from him.

 Lance’s heart broke in two. And the whole world heard it.

 “Let go, Lance,” insisted Keith with a vacant tone, head hung low when the Blue Paladin refused to. “Don’t make me do something I’ll regret.”

 In a daze, like Lance for the first time was kicked out by force out of Keith’s heart, he detached his hand from the boy.

 Helplessly watching from the outside as Keith walked away from him, his steps quick and light when they made their way towards the exit.

 It felt like with every step closer to the exit, Keith was walking over the shambles of what remained from Lance’s broken heart.

 

 

 And for the first time, the stars staring from the other side of the glass didn’t bring him any comfort.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Before he went to his bed after he stared at the starry sky, Lance decided to check on Layla. Just out of pure desire to see if she was okay.

 Warily as not to wake her up from her slumber, he opened the doors.

 And found her awake.

 She didn’t hear him nor saw him, because of the fact she had thrown the covers over her own head while she was sitting, leaning her back on the wall. Lance smiled at the small bundle and the small light that he noticed, muted because of the white blanket but still visible. At first he thought it was a flashlight, but flashlights didn’t really glow in a dark blue almost purple hue like the one Layla was using underneath. At least, the ones from Earth anyways.

 Lance only shook his head in disapproval, but decided to let her be anyways. When he was a boy, he hated when his mother interrupted his nightly shenanigans – he was sure Layla would do so too.

 

 So Lance closed the doors after him and walked to his own chamber, the thought that Layla’s flashlight illuminated a color that was too familiar, never leaving his mind even long after he fell into a deep slumber.

 

Notes:

phew, that was a heavy one me thinks :// don't boo me pls :((

- i hope u liked the layla/lance bonding! layla is a smartie so she knows she can't say much to lance because of butterflies effects and all that shit, y'know? but after all, she is ten years old (still a kid) so she's gonna slip from time to time and say things she shouldn't. but it's okay, our boys do be kinda dense lmao

- so about the klance fight (i listened to outside by ellie g a lot which is what inspired the title of the chapter hehe) - i planned that to happen a long time ago and it felt like the perfect time. rn, they're both at that "really close" friends stage (with crushes ofc), but just because they're friends doesn't mean they can't have fights! so lance is a bit of a comfort character and i've always loved how his insecurites overlap with mine so i hope i did him justice. there are no wrongs or rights in this one - it's more of keith who is seeing that lance is hurting but can't approach the matters correctly and he makes some mistakes. it's okay! and lance said some awful shit, but that's okay too! we all say stuff we mean or we don't mean, but we're only human. to learn from past experiences is the most important part :) 🌹

- YOUR THEORIES AND RANTS FROM THE LAST CHAPTER!! I LOVED IT ALL!! you guys know i'm an attention seeking whore so even the slightest compliment or comment makes me want to go and hug and kiss u all! it's also a great motivator! whenever i lose some inspiration, i go back to read some comments and boom! them fingers start flying on the keyboard! so don't be shy and tell me what you think, your theories and predictions, and feels! i'll read and respond to them always.

- I. AM. SO. EXCITED. FOR. THE. NEXT. CHAPTER. - u guys I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT since i posted the first chapter LMAO. just saying :)))))

SO I HOPE I SEE U NEXT TIME! 🪐✨🌙🖋

Chapter 5: silent beauty

Summary:

The one week that Layla needed for the time storm went in a blur and soon there were only two days left until she had to leave.

Notes:

woooow you guys!! 3k hits!! i am so grateful for each one of you holy SHIT! i didn't expect this fic to get so much attention, but oh my god -- you are all absolutely incredible! i love yall so much!

- i want to apologize for how long it took me to write this chapter, but i am a senior in HS and we came back from online which kicked my ass from all the tests and homeworks the teachers gave us. it was so tiring and i was barely sleeping so i couldn't really produce anything good. but i managed! and i hope you like this 11k monster. it's the longest chapter in the fic so far and i hope u like it!

E N J O Y !

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter five

silent beauty

 

 

The one week that Layla needed for the time storm went in a blur and soon there were only two days left until she had to leave.

 Because Pidge had been strictly tracking if there would be any disturbances or if there would be an earlier storm, she assured Layla and the team that there was one in a million chance for the time storm to change its schedule. So Allura proposed the good idea that they at least visit the neighboring Yek’htians and their planet to offer a place in the Space Alliance, and thank them for the information that led them to Layla.

 Keith could see that the small girl was worried and hesitant on leaving Dokhyna, alas Lance went down on one knee to whisper something in her ear while he patted her backpack. He had raised an inviting brow and the smile that broke out on Layla’s face blinded the whole room. Keith turned his head away before he could see the same beautiful grin on Lance, that was identical to hers.

 Ever since the fight on the observation deck from four days ago, he and the Blue Paladin weren’t really on speaking terms. And due to the lack of missions, they didn’t even need to communicate at all. Keith never had any true and real friends before Voltron and Shiro so he simply didn’t know if Lance hated him now because of this argument. Even when Lance was the one who said meaner things. But … Keith wasn’t perfect on his end either, was he? He had been just as awful when he started speaking up in front of everyone about all the things that Lance said to him. He trusted him enough to confide in Keith of all people and he just couldn’t keep his mouth shut. Because he was stupid and didn’t know how to help his friend in a way that wouldn’t hurt or embarrass Lance.

 And yet here they were – both stubborn and both refusing to talk about it.

 It hurt a lot.

 Keith didn’t realize how much of a vital part was Lance in his daily life. He didn’t know if he had the same effect on Lance too, but after all the training and his alone time, Keith felt himself aching to interact with him. To hear one of his dumb jokes, to talk and make fun of Shiro behind his back, tease and banter, or hang out simply because they could now when they were actual friends. He missed his devilish grin and smiles.

 Keith also knew that the rest of the team had felt the slight tension and he’d been ignoring Shiro’s pointed looks at him over breakfast and dinner when Lance didn’t taunt him as usual. As if their teammates relied on their repartees for the sheer point of normalcy. And frankly, Keith felt it too. Now the Voltron meetings were just a tad more silent when he and Lance weren’t messing around.

 Besides, nowadays, Lance spent a lot of his time with Layla which was perfectly fine, she was his daughter after all, he was allowed to. Although, Keith felt too ridiculous that he was jealous of a fucking child that received his crush’s attention more than him.

 Red purred a curious question, probably sensing his mood getting sourer with all of his thoughts and Keith smiled, caressing gently the dashboard.

 “I’m okay, you big kitty,” he said and jumped slightly in his seat when her enormous paws landed on the smooth surface that covered the surface of Yek’hitia. If Dokhyna was a futuristic version of a city, with tall buildings and long, narrow streets – then Yek’hitia was the complete opposite of that.

 From high enough when he and the rest were flying, Keith saw the outskirts of the capital. It was shaped in a circle with a very high building, resembling a taller and bigger Colosseum, rising in the center of it, inspiring fear, but respect at the same too. There were huge columns, sparkling under the hot sun like they were made of glittering jewels, all around the place with strong looking bridges, bending over at the water that was drowning the city beautifully. The only thing Keith could’ve compared the city too was a strange architecture mixture of Venice and ancient Rome.

 The sea on its right side glimmered and was in a wonderful turquoise color, getting darker and emerging with other shades of blue, creating a palette of such colors that Keith had to contain back a dreamy sigh.

 Keith kept his helmet on as he emerged from Red’s mouth, wishing to smell the air and breathe in deeply. They landed the Lions and the Castle on what looked like, a rectangle runway perched on the top of a mountain, made specifically for the purpose because Keith noticed highly advanced battle cruisers and pods organized next to one another. Ready to fight and defend the land if needed. He nodded silently in approval to himself.

 He noticed Shiro, Hunk and Allura were already talking with each other so Keith made his way to them.

 “This place is really gorgeous,” commented Keith quietly and all heads turned to him. Shiro and Hunk nodded in agreement, but it was Allura who grinned in delight, her eyes shining in excitement.

 “Oh Keith, I know right? Altea had a similar build, but with more technology filled in everything! Nevertheless, Zalia is indeed a diamond!”

 Hunk popped his mouth open, tilting his head in curiosity. “Did Alfor know about this place?”

 Allura turned to the Yellow Paladin and nodded in agreement.

 “My father had great knowledge about almost everything! I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew about Yek’hitia! Though I’m visiting myself for the first time just as you all.”

 A familiar voice cut through the warm air. “You guys! We have to check out the beach, it looks awesome!”

 Keith side glanced behind his left shoulder along with all of his teammates who looked at where Lance and Pidge were coming from. And his heart gave a loud thud against his ribcage before it quickened when he reveled at the sight of his friend and Layla on top of his shoulders whom was grinning in pure delight. Her head was rotating all around, drinking in everything that surrounded them like she it was her personal mission not to miss all the details Yek’hitia had to offer. Keith had to admit he hasn’t seen her this happy and excited ever since she’d come here. And she was supposed to leave in two days which caused the smile Keith didn’t know he was sporting, to fall down.

 “You can take your helmets off, guys,” said Pidge, her own helmet held between her hip and arm. “I checked the atmosphere so it’s all good.”

 “Oh thank God,” Hunk breathed out, satisfied and took off said helmet along with the rest of the paladins. Then he shook his head and sneaked a hand through his sweaty hair. “Now what do we do exactly? Where are the natives?”

 From the corner of his eye, it didn’t go unnoticed how Layla leaned her head down to whisper something in Lance’s ear. The Blue Paladin nodded and he carefully grabbed her small body and let it down on the ground where she stretched out and shook off her legs with a serious pout across her lips.

 She was dressed in her own clothes, the ones she had on from their first meeting with her on Dokhyna. It seemed that the Castle’s machines did their jobs alright, because they looked brand new—clean and sewed on all the places where the layers were cut or shredded. Black jeans with a picture of a drawn kitten poking from one of the front pockets, long sleeved plain blue shirt and a dark green hoodie with a zipper over her shoulders. Her feet were so tiny and small, enveloped in sparkling white sneakers.

 Lance, or maybe even Allura, had braided her long hair in a fishtail and put a headband with a bow on top of her head. Layla looked positively adorable and a sudden, unknown urge within him wanted to take her in his arms and squeeze her against his chest.

 The princess looked up towards the skies, squinting against the blazing sun. And then Allura smiled a smile, one even brighter than the sun, like she was testing who could blind the universe more.

 “They are here, Hunk.”

 Confused, Keith lifted his own head.

 And almost gasped at what he witnessed.

 There was no doubt that those were the same Yek’hitians who called them, but they looked so different now, when there wasn’t a barrier of pixels between them.

 So different when they were soaring in the skies, magnificent colorful wings battling against the winds.

 There were five of them and Keith couldn’t make the best of their figures yet, even with his enhanced Galra eyesight, but there was no doubt those aliens here were winged and looked amazing while flying closer and closer to where Voltron was waiting on the runway.

 “Woooow,” said Layla with an awed exhale and Keith felt her drifting closer to where he himself was standing. He tensed for just a second, afraid of her and Lance’s reaction somehow. The Red Paladin glanced downwards at her and his lips moved on their own, a motion trying to mimic Layla’s amazed smile. It was so contagious, like a virus that transmitted way too easily. As if no matter what shitty mood you were in—one smile coming from a McClain could turn everything upside down.

 “Holy sh--,” Pidge started, but one look from Shiro and Keith collectively had her deflating, “shmickels!

 It was obvious that everyone was impressed and amazed. They’ve been on a lot of planets, have visited hundreds of galaxies, many places and strangely, it was for the first time they met species with wings. Which was also strange on its own since it didn’t seem like an impossible feature to have in the huge space that the universe took.

 At last, the five aliens were finally close enough and Keith narrowed his eyes at the details that adorned the wings that came from their backs. They were of all shades, but it didn’t match their skin tone. Brown, orange, yellow and white to even red. The Yek’hitians didn’t share a distinguished trait except for the wings to hint at them sharing a race. Even their flying parts were different so Keith tried to wrap his head around it. Were all of them half or they all just looked like that everywhere on the planet?

 They landed gracefully on the runway, and Keith tried too hard to not gawk at the huge wings that looked way too close to resemblance of ones of a--

 “They look like cool Mothman,” Layla gasped quietly from where she was standing on his left and when Keith looked at her shocked, perhaps that she knew who Mothman was. Then she probably felt his eyes on her and the girl looked up at him, a big grin split her lips when Layla met his stare. “Alien mothmans! Can you believe it, daaaaaaaaaaa--”

 She seemed very excited as she said that, small hands formed into eager fists like she was trying to hold herself back from jumping. But then she began trailing off the word she was trying to say and Layla kept going drawling out the letter in front of everyone who turned confused. Keith raised an eyebrow.

 And something clicked behind her eyes. “—aaaaaamn! Damn! This is so cool – DAMN!”

 Everyone in the group gaped at that, especially Lance who looked like Layla had murdered someone with his own bayard in front of all Voltron. Pidge just grinned like a Cheshire cat and looked amused more than anything.

 Keith crossed his arms and leveled Layla with the most intense, judgemental look he could muster. Layla began to seem sheepish at that and lowered her head to the ground.

 “That’s not a very nice word, you know that, right?”

 Layla shrugged and was now distracted by the Yek’hitians who began walking towards them, greeted by an enthusiastic Allura. “I’ve heard worse.”

 Keith opened his mouth, ready to say something even when he didn’t know what, but was interrupted by Shiro throwing him a look and a swing of his head to the side.

 Right. He shouldn’t lecture a kid that wasn’t his or let himself preoccupied with other matters while they were on a mission.

 He huffed and turned to the Yek’hitians who were shaking hands with Hunk and Allura, gentle smiles gracing their interesting features. Some had four limbs, others had two and one even looked like an oversized tiger with orange fur and white stripes. Allura turned and motioned with her hand for them to come forward, still grasping onto some of their hands that the aliens outstretched. A majority looked positively amazed by the Altean princess, but that was no surprise for Keith.

 Many alien species were skeptical when it came to her, as she was the last from her own, but more were always in astonishment at her majestic presence and beauty. The Yek’hitians were no exception.

 Keith strolled with no hesitation and midway, he caught the eyes of one of them.

 He was, at first sight at least, the leader of this small entourage if Keith judged correctly by his attire that was the only one different than the other four. His stance was confident, promising a swift death to anyone beneath those dual short swords he had strapped on the sides of his hips. His gaze swept around everything and everyone, looking for any danger and although nothing changed about his indifferent expression, Keith still caught the way he low-key relaxed as his shoulders dropped a tad lower and his feet moved.

 Keith knew too well those signs, because he did the exact same thing wherever they went.

 This man was a soldier just like him. Just like Voltron.

 This man had seen as many horrors and slaughtered Galra and droids just like them all.

 And now those soldier eyes got chained with his own and Keith tried to keep it there, not backing down. He was definitely handsome, perhaps the most beautiful male alien he’s even encountered, and despite that he was in love in Lance – he couldn’t deny that the intensity of his gaze almost made him blush and duck his head away.

 It wasn’t as if it was possible for Lance to return his feelings and it had been way too long for Keith since the last time a wanted male attention was on him.

 “Greetings, Paladins of Voltron,” said one female Yek’hitian as they all drew closer. Her skin was of pastel green shade and there was no hair on top of her head, but her whole body and face were covered in darker green lines gracing her everywhere. And when Keith looked at them all again, he noticed that every Yek’hitian did have lines too, but in different patterns and shapes. It was really beautiful and it reminded Keith of Hunk’s tribal tattoos that he showed the team one night. “My name is Menysa Nim’aspe and I am the Head  Chancellor of all the four tribes in Yek’hitia. It is a pleasure of mine and my citizens to finally meet you all in flesh.”

 Her voice was melodic and lilting, and Keith saw the genuine kindness written across her face and in her slight bow at them. She looked older than Shiro maybe, but Keith has learned long ago to never assume alien’s ages. They were all so complicated and different so for all he knew, Menysa knew Alfor’s grandfather.

 Shiro offered his arm and Menysa took it with a smile. “Thank you for your hospitality, Head Chancellor. And thank you for the vital information about the anomaly on Dokhyna. It has been of great help so we decided to express our gratitude by visiting your beautiful planet.”

 Two Yek’hitians behind Menysa looked ready to swoon and squeal at the sight of his brother which had Keith suppressing a smirk behind his fist. If all alien fans of his knew how whipped and gone for Adam Shiro still was, they’d drop everything at this very second. The beautiful male snapped his head towards Keith who in his turn decided to ignore that.

 “Ah, yes. Did you find out what caused our radars to go crazy a phoeb ago?” Asked Menysa, and even though she didn’t have eyebrows, her face looked dubious exactly like how one would raise a brow at the statement Shiro gave. “We prepared a scouting team in case you couldn’t come, but Voltron was quick to respond to our message.”

 “Not what, Head Chancellor,” Pidge butted in, “but who.

 They previously discussed this morning if they should tell the Yek’hitian leader about Layla and time travelling, and leave the girl with Coran. Keith was not shocked that Lance was against it and offered that they should make up some bullshit excuse that would cover up the time storm discovery. Frankly, the decision was his after all, but even the little girl was getting antsy in the huge Castle and it didn’t go past Lance by a mile. Allura and Coran also assured the Blue Paladin that the Yek’hitians were known as the biggest diplomats, even bigger than the Alteans, and wouldn’t attack a small kid even in the name of science. They still created a plan in case something went wrong, but all of Keith’s instincts were settled and calm. Which meant that the chances of any attacks were very low.

 Menysa and the tiger-like Yek’hitian tilted their heads, but then they must’ve finally realized that there was a small kid amongst them because they all let out soft gasps. The handsome one, however, didn’t look astonished at all. He probably managed to see Layla even from when he was still flying in the skies.

 At the gasps, Layla immediately acted and hid behind the legs of the person closest to her.

 And that person was Keith.

 He had figured out that unlike her father, Layla was shy and quiet, and didn’t like much attention, especially from strangers. Keith knew that feeling way too well and a protective impulse had him positioning himself more firmly between her and the Yek’hitians, a hand close, ready to summon his bayard if needed, and another one—behind him where he could touch Layla and grab her just in case.

 The silent one narrowed his eyes, ones full of only silver sclera that seemed to dimly glow under the sun. And his wings, that had been tucked safely behind his back, unconsciously (or maybe not) spread to frame his body. Like he was preparing to fight just as much as Keith was.

 Menysa immediately sensed the sudden tension, and so did Allura, but she was the first one to react for she extended her hand and settled it on the muscular shoulder of the handsome male. “Easy there, Adrial.”

 So the pretty one had a pretty name too, huh? Who would’ve thought.

 Menysa turned to Allura and Shiro, an apologetic look on her face, but she still kept one of her four hands on Adrial. “Forgive us. We mean no harm to the little one or to the ones who battle against Zarkon’s tyranny. But this is just something we quite haven’t … ”

 “Expected?” Allura prompted humbly and Menysa nodded. “We didn’t either, if I’m being honest. It’s a long story to explain, you see.”

 Menysa’s hand slipped away from Adrial, whose eyes didn’t leave Keith for once. He didn’t know if he should’ve been flattered that this very obviously trained man considered him as the biggest threat within Voltron or offended that he thought his teammates weren’t worthy enough to be under his judgemental stare. At the end, Keith was the one who decided to turn away from those silver glowing gems and he could’ve sworn he caught some amusement painted on Adrial’s face.

 “Would you mind if we talk at my home, then?” Menysa asked while she gestured with her two left arms behind her, pointing obviously at the biggest building that stood in the center of the city. The one that reminded Keith of the Colosseum, apparently.

 There were excited yells coming from Hunk, Pidge and Lance while Shiro just smiled respectfully at the Chancellor. Layla was silent behind Keith and when he glanced down, she was glancing suspiciously at the city below them like it had personally offended her. With great uncertainty, Keith put his palm on top of her hand, trying to comfort her. He didn’t know if it would work or if she would sprung away when she realized he wasn’t Lance. It was worth a shot though.

 But she didn’t lean away from him, no, she leaned towards him. Layla’s eyes never left Zalia while she nuzzled further into his hand and leg like she tried to make herself smaller.

 “Of course! That would be wonderful!” Allura beamed at Menysa and then her demeanor changed when the princess realized something, a crease forming between her brows. “But how would we come with you there? The Castle and the Lions are too big and they’d crush everything if we try to land.”

 “Oh, princess … ” Menysa trailed jokingly, shook her head in mirth and expanded her big brown wings. “Perhaps it’s time you all try to soar in the skies without those Lions of yours.”

 And for the first time since the Yek’hitians arrived—Adrial was the only one who was smirking now.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Keith tried to stay apathetic about the whole deal with the Yek’hitians flying them on their own, with the Paladins in their arms – to the home building of their leader.

 He really did.

 Keith tried to mask away his excitement and giddiness by crossing his arms and drifting away from the group as they were discussing who would be flying with who. The Red Paladin’s feet carried him to the edge of the runway and he leaned forwards so he could truly see for himself how deep the bottom of the mountain went. Perhaps he was truly a crazy man for his first thought, as he was gaping at the dark chasm below him, was how it would feel to fall down into it. A shudder was on its way to shake his whole body, but he pushed it back.

 Holy stars, he thought. His eyes beheld the distance from here to there, to where it was the final destination. It was a bit far, but with Red he’d arrive in negative time. He wondered how long it’d take when an Yek’hitian held you in their arms, flapping those wings. To ride in Red was always an extraordinary experience when it was either a battle or cruising just for the funs of it, but man, what would be like to have actual wings? To spread them and feel the wind hitting you across the face? To go wherever you want and do whatever you want? Keith would have been lying if he said he’d never wished for such a thing.

 Keith dared to inch his head closer to where it was all ending and he would’ve stepped closer maybe, had it not been for the voice that snapped him from his dreamy daze.

 “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

 He froze in his tracks, and he felt his face forming into one of confusion when he didn’t recognize the one who spoke. Keith carefully moved himself, slightly shaking his head so his bangs could reveal who was standing behind him. Yet, he refused to reposition his stance.

 No one told him what to do.

 Not even pretty guys with moth wings who thought they were hot shit just because they were pretty guys with moth wings.

 Keith strengthened his back and finally took his sweet time to observe this Adrial.

 His skin was of very, very light purple and he had white markings across his high cheekbones, straight nose and full lips, with three dots under each eye and two lines circling around his throat. A circle with some kind of symbol inside of it had a place in the middle of his forehead and up higher was where his hairline started to reveal mid-length wavy hair, in the color of sapphire, that reached his chin. There were some braids weaved on both of his sides and his ears were pointed in that elven type Allura and Coran had, but his were smaller and twitched at the smallest sound.

 Handsome, yes. In that deadly kind; that kind of silent beauty that had you lured until it was too late and you were a helpless fly in a spider’s web.

 Adrial stayed quiet after his comment and so did Keith.

 Keith noticed in the background how Menysa took Allura in her arms, while the Tiger Yek’hitian swooped Shiro like he didn’t weigh nothing.

 And then they leaped. Up and up they went in the sky, like those immortal beings in those books Keith read back on Earth, from the dusty shelves in one of the orphanages in Texas. Menysa and her partner’s wings quivered, battling with the air and then they dropped into a fast speed—down at the city. Keith bit back a laugh at Shiro’s frightened screams that stayed even after he was long gone.

 Pidge was obviously the next one. The Green Paladin was jumping on one place and she almost toppled the pink and tall Yek’hitian who opened her arms for her.

 Adrial cleared his throat out of nowhere. “I’m afraid we must go in a bit, Red Paladin. You’re the one flying with me.”

 Keith blinked away the sight of Pidge who looked like a gleeful baby kangaroo as the pink Yek’hitian’s red wings wiggled and in no time they were gone as well.

 He turned to Adrial.

 “Judging by your attitude earlier, I would’ve assumed you’d be opposed to this.”

 Keith didn’t know from where this was coming from. He wasn’t usually one to tease or make talk with stranger aliens, and yet, here he was.

 Adrial looked away embarrassed and the lines around his neck began to glow a little. Or maybe those were Keith’s eyes deceiving him.

 “I hope you accept my sincerest apologies, Paladin Keith,” he said, but this time Adrial pinned him with a serious gaze, his silver sclera as sincere as possible. Keith had to gulp down something that formed in his throat. “I didn’t mean any offense to you or that little one with you.”

 “I … uh-- … it’s fine. I may have overreacted a bit,” Keith admitted and offered a truce in the form of a genuine smile that he rarely threw around. Then he changed his footing and moved away from the edge, walking closer to where Adrial stood. “Sometimes it’s hard to remember we all have one common enemy.”

 Adrial chuckled at that and, well, that smile suited his face a lot better than the serious scowl he was wearing earlier. “That is true. Although my skills on the battlefield are more impressive than the ones where I have to hold a conversation.”

 Oh, was he telling that to Keith.

 “I know that feeling way too well, unfortunately,” Keith said with a huff. “I’d rather face thousands of Galra than to talk about the weather with some random alien during a negotiation meeting.”

 This time Adrial laughed with his whole chest, but it wasn’t as loud and boisterous as Lance’s laugh whenever Keith joked from time to time.

 And he shouldn’t compare them, Keith knew he shouldn’t, but Lance’s smile was so much … more. More beautiful, but also happier. His laugh wasn’t this gentle caress or shy chuckles. No, Lance laughed with his whole being and every time it was more infectious than the other. His teeth were at display and he either clutched his stomach or flied his arms around. Lance had the literal sun behind his ribcage and Keith was known for being cold his whole life. It was no wonder he fell in love with him.

 Adrial shook his head after his fit and then motioned with a hand. Keith noticed he had four fingers. “Shall we go?”

 Keith answered with simply walking past the Yek’hitian to where the only left were Hunk, Lance and Layla. The Yellow Paladin was babbling with a very buff and muscular female, who was taller than Hunk himself and had a similar physique to Shay if Keith was being honest. Maybe Hunk had a type, he thought amused.

 “not that I don’t trust you Miss beautiful, strong lady, but I am kind of afraid of heights, ya know?” Keith just heard Hunk say as he and Adrial drew closer. He noticed Lance glancing to him with a frown, but he pretended not to see it.

 The woman scratched one of her antlers with a puzzled pout. “But you fly a Lion all the time, do you not?”

 “That’s different!” Hunk squeaked, wide eyes tracing her wings with fear. “A-at least if Yellow falls, I am still inside safe and will go with less damage!”

 However all of his stammering and scared-y speeches fell on deaf ears, because the female Yek’hitian rolled her eyes fondly and simply reached forward, taking Hunk gently in her strong arms. “You will not fall, Paladin Hunk. I am the second best flier in my division!”

 Hunk immediately started scrambling in her tight hold, frantic and afraid, when she began jogging like Hunk weighted less than cotton. “Wait, wait, wait, wait w-w-what do you mean second beee—AAAAAAA!”

 Layla giggled loudly when the Yek’hitian dropped from the runway’s edge and began flying quickly upwards with Hunk, whom Keith could see, covered both of his eyes and squeezed himself into an embryo pose. They could all hear the happy laughter that spread across the wind, coming from the female Yek’hitian.

 Adrial next to him huffed. “Are all of your species this entertaining?”

 Keith shrugged his shoulders and looked up at him. Something quirky and petty was about to leave his mouth, and Keith was aware that now there were only three humans and only one Yek’hitian.

 But it all seemed to fade away like smoke as his gaze caught something that he never would’ve expected to see.

 Adrial’s white wings opened and closed slowly, lazily, like butterfly’s ones on a summer sunny day to reveal a small weapon glued to his muscular back. It was in a leather sheath that looked expensive and obviously done by the hand of a master, but the handle and the glowing mark that were poking out, were too well known for Keith to miss.

 His eyes widened and on reflex, he raised a hand to touch it, but then realized how invasive or stupid that would’ve been.

 So he settled in for a comment.

 “You’re a Galra,” Keith breathed out and Adrial snapped his gaze down at him. His hair swayed with the motion and for a second, some kind of fear could be seen in his silver eyes, but then he must’ve noticed something on his own part, for the fear was replaced by some slight softness.

 “Half. Just like you,” he said and bowed his head to the left like he was wary of Keith’s reaction that he knew this piece of information. As if the whole universe already wasn’t aware that the Red Paladin was a half breed.

 But Keith didn’t care about that. “You … I … A-are you also a part of The Blade?”

 He almost angered himself with how pathetic he sounded. Pathetic, but also hopeful, because this happened for the first time.

 For the first time Keith found someone like him.

 Not that the Galra at the Marmora base weren’t like him, but this was different. Different and familiar all at once. Adrial was supposedly a member of the Blade of Marmora and no one from his people seemed to care. He was a good Galra who helped others in need. Just like Keith; just like all he wanted to be and all he wanted to prove to everyone.

 Even to his own team.

 ‘And let’s look at how much you actually hate yourself and the fact that you’re a Galra,’ Lance had said that one night when they fought with his fiery blue eyes, reflecting all the stars and all the sad, all the frustrating truths about him.

 “I am,” Adrial answered with a smile and that pulled Keith out of his thoughts. “All of my best friends—I’ve met them all in my time when I was training there.”

 “I think I had a very different experience than yours then,” Keith said and almost winced at all the memories from every harsh kick and brutal punch landing on all of his body when they thought he was a fraud and didn’t let him in to know about his past. Knowledge or Death sometimes ringed in his head like loud bells, reminding him of who he was.

 The lines around Adrial’s throat glowed again. “I’ve heard talks about your trial, Paladin Keith and I must admit … they don’t do you justice.”

 “How so?” Keith asked, brows drawing together in confusion, tone edging on defense. What did he mean? Did he look weaker or stronger? Or maybe Kolivan had sang in front of everyone about the projections of his father and Shiro, or how he needed Red to try to wreck the base so they could leave him alone.

 Adrial reached out cautiously and his slender hand found home on Keith’s shoulder. Usually, this act by someone he barely knew would’ve earned them a hit in the lower regions or knuckles kissing their face. But everything about this man was so genuine and kind, that he surprised himself with how much he didn’t mind Adrial touching him. Or maybe it was because that it wasn’t his bare skin that made contact with his fingers.

 “You are much more beautiful than all the stories claimed you are.”

 At first, only a fraction of his words registered in Keith’s brain.

 And then it all hit him, like a punch to the stomach, out of nowhere while he felt heat creeping towards his neck and cheeks. Holy shit.

 Keith opened his mouth, slightly gaping in surprise. Adrial looked pleased with himself, but also shy when he turned his head away from Keith’s piercing gaze.

 “Ey! You there, young man! Keep your hands to yourself! There are children here!”

 Keith and Adrial were both startled at Lance’s outburst so they turned around.

 It was weird how Keith was quick to forget he wasn’t alone.

 Lance’s arms were crossed in front of his chest in disapproval like he was a principal of a school that didn’t allow people to date, his face scrunched into a sour grimace and anger like he didn’t want to look at them for not even one second.

 Keith should’ve been enraged with how childish he was acting right now and he almost yelled back at the pure audacity for him to be such a fucking hypocrite if it wasn’t for Layla bearing the exact same expression and pose.

 “Yeah!” Layla yelled and marched with some cute fury to where Keith and Adrial stood. “I am a kid! This is so inpro-- … inprat-- … inproporotate!”

 The struggle of her saying the word correctly ended with the girl stomping her foot on the ground in anger and if she had the ability of laser eyes, then Adrial’s hand would’ve been fried into crispiness a long time ago.

 “You mean inappropriate?” Keith offered and jerked his eyebrow.

 “That’s what I said!” Layla yelled back and glared once again at the attached hand Adrial was still resting on his shoulder. The man removed it and it was hilarious how such a strong soldier could be so afraid of a small girl that threw hissy fits.

 It was at that moment that Menysa decided to show up and she landed on the platform, already making her way to them.

 “Splendid! Just as we chose – Adrial will fly the Red Paladin, meanwhile I will take the Blue Paladin and his daughter, correct? The princess told me of your situation and I assure you that I can handle both of you at the same time.”

 Lance and Layla both looked like they were ready to protest at that, throwing nasty looks back at Adrial, but it was Keith for the first time, who decided to be the pacifier in the situation.

 “Of course, Head Chancellor, that’s perfect. Can I just have a word?”

 Not waiting for a response, Keith hauled Layla from the floor, under her shoulders and carried her to Lance who kept glaring at Adrial from above Keith’s shoulder. The small girl was comfortingly heavy in his hold and Keith ignored that small part of his brain that screamed at him how right this was; how right it felt.

 “Lance.” Keith demanded the other boy to look at him by saying his name and it worked, fortunately. Those azures flashed with something. This was the first time they’ve spoken to each other since the fight. And it was only for them to have another. Just perfect. “Layla is ten so she can pass under the radar for acting like a child. You, however, are not. So stop being a goddamn jerk and mind your business, because this hypocrisy coming from you is unbelievable.”

 Then Keith handed Lance’s daughter back to him who immediately opened his arms to hold her. Lance’s face twisted into something else, something akin to embarrassment, but Keith was quick to turn on his heels and go back to Adrial.

 Menysa gestured to Lance and Layla to come closer to her, her brown moth wings fluttering and the Red Paladin didn’t bother with watching them. He was too angry for that.

 Adrial looked apologetic. “Listen, Paladin Keith, I am sorr--”

 Keith held up a hand, stopping him from saying anything further.

 “There’s nothing to apologize for, Adrial. I’m sorry on behalf of them … they’re not usually like that.”

 The Yek’hitian man smiled sympathetically at that, but didn’t say anything else. Instead he offered his hand—the one he had touched his shoulder with—and left it to hang in the empty space between them. “Are you ready to fly then?”

 Keith wasn’t hesitant to accept the proposal and his gloved fingers interlaced with Adrial’s whose grip was strong and assuring the moment they touched. As if he was transmitting the message that Keith could trust him and his wings and that he shouldn’t be afraid. Keith didn’t know how much he actually needed that assurance, but he was still grateful for it nevertheless.

 Adrial bent down and soon Keith’s feet left the ground as he was picked up sideways. Adrial’s hands were steady rocks under his knees and behind his back as the man inched closer and closer to where the edge was ending. His heart started beating wildly and Keith clutched the man’s neck on reflex.

 There was a soft chuckle in his ear.

 His eyes searched for Lance and Layla around him. But when he couldn’t see them anywhere, he glanced upwards and noticed Menysa’s brown wings already carrying them both towards safety. God, he hoped they weren’t too scared and were okay. He doubted Lance was scared of heights, but what if Layla …

 “If you drop me,” Keith grumbled when he felt Adrial lifting them both in the air. “I will fucking kill you.”

 “Oh, I am definitely counting on that,” were his last words before he shot up in the sky like a bullet.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Well . . . I must say that this is . . . certainly an interesting story.”

 Keith shifted uncomfortably in his seat for what it felt like a millionth time since this talk started.

 Lance, who was on his left, eyed him with a raised eyebrow that Keith noticed from his side. But he ignored it on purpose and kept his gaze locked with the alien who spoke up, on the high chair that was next to Menysa’s. The Head Chancellor was on the head of the table along with two more Yek’hitians on each of her side—all more different looking than the other. The silence all across the room was absolutely crushing and thankfully, he wasn’t the only one who was affected by it.

 Layla was caged between Allura and Shiro across from him, something that Lance was opposed to at first, but it was the princess who caught his elbow and murmured words in his ear that only the Blue Paladin could hear. His brother had a relaxed expression on his face, but Keith had taken a look at his twitching hands and knew that his act wasn’t as convincing as they all might be thinking. Allura’s back was strengthened into the perfect pose of the diplomat she was playing, hands locked on the table’s smooth surface.

 There was a hologram projection of Yek’hitia rotating slowly all around in the middle of the table and it often caught Keith’s eye, distracting him greatly from the conversation.

 “And you are absolutely sure that you have no idea how the Blue Paladin’s daughter came from the future?”

 Keith’s eyes flickered to the tall and looming Yek’hitian that was on the far left. His skin was bright red, red as blood; red as Keith’s armor and his hair was snowy white, identical to Allura’s color, though his was short with two pointy horns coming up from the roots. His wings, that had enough space for him to spread them easily, were raven black just like the swirling lines that were drawn on his hard face. He was the only one who made Keith feel uneasy ever since they stepped into the room.

 Pidge cleared her throat and Keith almost cringed at how it rang in the room.

 “We did analyze some of the readings you guys sent us, but so far we couldn’t decipher the code.”

 They decided to lie simply for the only sole reason : that Layla was leaving in two days. And because the little girl specifically voiced her opinion that no one, except for Voltron, can know about the time storms and all the devices she had brought in her backpack. And in a way, Keith knew it made perfect sense. Time was a fragile thing and they had to thread this very carefully if they didn’t want to fuck up something major for them in the future. It was bad enough that Layla was here already.

 And all this information could fall into wrong hands which is something that no one wanted. Even the unknowing Yek’hitians who Keith couldn’t blame for wanting to hear the truth.

 The man’s mouth opened just a bit and one of his fingers, that rested on his cheek making him out to look like he was bored the whole time, gestured to Layla.

 Keith felt Lance tensing.

 “Didn’t the child want to talk?” He asked in a low, weary tone.

 At the mention of her, Layla shriveled down a little in her seat. Her face gave away some slight fear so Keith was happy that Shiro noticed and put a hand on her shoulder. Lance was probably happy too.

 “I’m speaking for all of us when I say that we don’t try to pressure her too much. We found her alone and very exhausted on Dokhyna since she’d been wandering around for almost a phoeb,” Allura said and straight up glanced at the man as if challenging him to say something else. “And we’d all appreciate it if we stop with the interrogation. If I wanted that I could’ve visited a Galra ship. Me and my team didn’t come here for this.”

 The man’s small eyes squinted in suspicion and he leaned just a tad closer to the table. But he was interrupted by the gentle looking alien with lilac wings to his side before he could speak again.

 “We are very sorry, princess. We mean no offense. This is just so exciting!” Their voice was high, almost childish even, and their black eyes glittered with happiness. “We’ve been studying the matters of time since forever and now we have … a proof! That it is all possible and it could happen one day!”

 Menysa smiled warmly at them at their outburst and cocked her head.

 “That is true. My people find strength in our scientific and technical abilities, though sadly, we cannot compare to the Olkari yet,” she said and the chiefs of the three tribes bobbed their heads in confirmation, except for the tall mean man. “But princess Allura is right. Voltron came to our aid and we must be grateful for their help. That’s why we’ve decided to officially join the Coalition.”

 “That is amazing,” Allura said while smiling and it was genuine. Not fake. “The expanding of the rebellion is truly getting bigger. Perhaps soon Zarkon’s reign will be over.”

 They all bowed their heads towards one another—a sign of respect from a royal to another royals.

 Keith shifted in his chair again and his gaze shifted to the vast space between all the stone arcs that were built next to each other with no glass between them and the outside world. Every single thing in this room was built specifically for people with wings. The beige sky started getting darker and the sun’s last rays illuminated the landscape gorgeously over the high mountains in the distance. Just how easy it was for them to jump and fly over there, to the highest top and just breathe and grab the sun in their own hands?

 He suddenly felt sleepy just by looking at this.

 “Oh! I almost forgot!” Menysa, her eyes widening. “My eldest daughter, Edeara, will be marrying tomorrow! It would be a great honor, you see, if you all could stay here for the night so we can celebrate the ceremony with you. I understand you all have duties and things to care of, but my Edeara would appreciate to see her heroes on her special quintant!”

 Allura turned to them before answering. Because they were a team and chose together. And Keith wasn’t too excited for a social gathering, but it’d be a good distraction for his teammates so he agreed with a shake of his head. Layla locked eyes with him and he couldn’t help, but smile. He didn’t know why. Keith wasn’t a type of person to just do that to people.

 ‘But Layla wasn’t just people, was she?’ Something whispered in his ear.

 Menysa clapped her hands and the other Yek’hitians even squealed. “Perfect! Your rooms will be ready in just a tick! We were hoping you’d all agree so we prepared.”

 Layla smiled back at him, but … something was off.

 And Keith didn’t know why that made him as sad as it did.

 

 

* * *

 

 

Keith’s room was a dream come true.

 Menysa didn’t lie when she said that they’ve organized everything for them already and didn’t need much time until they were all escorted to their chambers. The door was high and made of some sort of stone, in the color of dark sand, and it shone like the literal stars were carved into the material.

 Wings and flowery designs were sculptured within and all he wanted was to reach out and feel the masterpieces under his own hand. But he contained himself in front of the friendly Yek’hitian server that led him through the long hallways. And if the outside was certainly beautiful, it was inside that was worthy of gasping and fawning over. The architecture followed the same type as with every other room that Keith has been in so far. The space seemed so big with Ionic columns in every corner, supporting the roof over his head, that had paintings drawn over it.

 Keith’s first instinct was to look for any immediate exits in case there was an attack, but there was no need to look thoroughly, for the first thing that managed to bribe his attention was the fact that there were no windows. With shocked eyes, Keith had walked closer to the vast balcony where there wasn’t any glass separating his room from the outside. He leaned on to the railing and although he wasn’t afraid of heights in any way, Keith’s gloved fingers still tightened instinctively as he gazed below him. They were so high. He felt like a bird, flying above and seeing all these sights.

 It was a nice change from his suffocating and small room back on the Castle with only the ink sky greeting him every single day. Keith didn’t realize how much he’d missed fresh air and the sun.

 The bed looked ready to fit more than three people on it, inviting with soft pillows on top, but what’d else he expect from people who had wings and carried them everywhere. There was a wardrobe next to it, along with night stands on each side. The furniture were all wonderfully done and Keith never expected himself to be taking into account any of these crazy details.

 It didn’t take him too long to find the red, silky to the touch veil that divided the room in two—only to reveal a pool that was perhaps bigger than all those public ones he has visited back in Arizona and Texas. It was filled with steamy water, with millions and millions of glassy bottles and containers stacked all around it and a small smile bloomed over his lips. Lance must’ve been losing his mind over all these beauty products. There were soft towels left near so Keith impulsively decided to strip himself off his armor and climb down into the pool.

 A satisfied moan was let out and he rolled his neck, popping some bones. He was so tense and out of character for him, Keith specifically took his time to find a smell he liked, hoping that it’d be fit for his body and hair. With the help of his hands, he stripped himself from all the sweat and all the dirt, mind drifting helplessly to Lance.

 He was all he could think about these days it seemed. Lance and Layla.

 Keith would really miss the girl when she leaves. Even her quiet demeanor and shy looks and smiles left their mark in their daily lives. She didn’t interact much with them, and Keith wondered if she was holding herself back simply because she was too scared of all this time travel bullshit. Lance desperately tried to bond with her whenever she allowed which wasn’t often, unfortunately for the Blue Paladin. There were days when she’d be open and say more than five sentences a day, and there were days that Keith was convinced she was a ghost; a sick joke that his brain came up with.

 Nothing funnier than your crush’s daughter coming from the future to show you how you’re not going to get that happy ending with him. Keith was still curious when it would be the moment he breaks down and crumbles.

 Just when he thought he could have something more with Lance.

 And despite all that—he still couldn’t help, but love Layla McClain. After all, what was there not to love even if he barely spoke to her? The smallest acts were the most endearing to Keith anyways. Like how she’d seek out Hunk when he cooked, sitting on the counter and reminding him where the ingredients were if he forgot. Or how he caught Shiro and her cleaning the mice once; or how she allowed Allura to braid her hair and dress her in dresses. Even Pidge was won over eventually with little to no time, however, Keith wasn’t sure how that happened. Coran was the only one who probably managed to make her laugh the most.

 Yet … it was still Keith and Lance she sought out the most. Lance, well, that made sense, but why him? Especially today when she latched on to him and let him touch her. Why was Keith so important her? Even if he imagined himself as the “cool uncle”, Hunk and Shiro were in fact better than him when dealing with children.

 Sometimes … sometimes she had this look on her face. Keith would catch Layla accidentally staring at him out of nowhere, but that didn’t surprise him the more often it happened. She looked sad; devastated at worst which kind of scared Keith.

 Was he … dead in the future? Did she feel pity that she’s never met him? Or was future Keith dumb enough to distance himself away from Lance’s life just because he had a family and a good life without him? God, he hoped he wasn’t that selfish in the future. But the Red Paladin didn’t allow himself to indulge into those spiraling thoughts so he left Layla to stare all she liked.

 Magically the water (and the room for that matter, despite the no windows) didn’t cool at all and stayed warm even when Keith was sure, he stood there soaking and thinking about whatever his mind could grasp on. At the end, he engulfed his naked body with those red towels. The floor under his feet wasn’t cold when he padded to the wardrobe, pleasantly surprised to find it full with clothes.

 He dried himself carefully and dressed into the first thing he grabbed, too tired to think and too exhausted to care. There were all types of underwear (even red lace panties that caused his cheeks to redden when he brought them closer to see), but he settled for a pair of boxers and a long shiny burgundy robe that reminded him of those pajamas that rich people wore in the movies. He knew they had similar ones, back in their home, but Keith never came around to wear them.

 Then Keith climbed into the huge fluffy bed, the sheets warm and welcoming against his skin. He sighed and hugged a pillow close to his chest, closing his eyes—the fatigue triumphing over all.

 And if in that smooth darkness that overtook his senses, Keith dreamed of a future where Lance was his and he was Lance’s, no one had to know.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There was a knock on his door.

 Not that Keith would call it exactly a knock as he furrowed his eyebrows, wondering if it was a dream or a reality. It was more of a faint thud going over and over again with short intervals between. He tried to sink more into his bed, not opening his eyes so Keith could go back into the dream land that he surrendered himself into. But the thud on the other side of the door sounded too insistent so Keith loosed a quiet groan and turned on the other side.

 It was dark and there was no white moon to shine or stars to ignite the room, but the lights from the city and his increased Galran eyesight were enough to help him see through this sea of blackness. Who could be possibly be bothering him at this time of the night when it was obvious that everyone was asleep? Just for a moment, while Keith swung his legs out of the bed, the image of Lance showed up behind his lids as he blinked slowly, but he shooed it away.

 But before he stepped any closer to the entrance, his fingers pulled out the blade from under his pillow, thankful that he was awake enough to have put it there before he went to sleep.

 Gripping the weapon in his skilled hand, he made his way to the door when yet another thud was landed on his door. Keith gulped down his fear and replaced it with determination. He pressed the panel that scanned him and his feet placed themselves into a fighting stance as the two parts of the entry departed with a hiss.

 At first he was confused, blinking away the darkness. There was … no one in front of his door. But before he could consider if he was being too paranoid or going crazy, he looked down to meet one set of two blue eyes gazing up at Keith.

 Layla.

 Keith immediately relaxed and brought his blade down.

 Her hair was let loose and she was dressed into one of her own pajamas with cute puppies stitched on the front with some Spanish letters underneath. Her arms were clutching into her chest some stuffed animal, that resembled some weird looking alien, that Keith sometimes has noticed laying around at the Castle. That big backpack was as always present on her back. His eyes adjusted more and his heart shriveled painfully when he took notice of her wet cheeks and red brimmed eyes.

 She let out a sniffle. “Hey.”

 It was so small and sad. So broken and raspy. Keith has never seen her look like this and that scared him shitless. Not as scared as when Layla was on the verge of dying on her second day, but it was close.

 “Hi, Layla,” he responded softly and that made her sniffle again. Her eyebrows drew together on her forehead and she buried her lower face into the toy’s fluffy head. As if she was trying not to cry or prevent Keith from seeing her just because he said her name.

 A pause between them and nothing happened.

 Keith took a deep breath.

 “Do you want to come in?”

 That was the right thing to say, apparently. She barely finished her nod before Layla hurried inside his room and Keith was left to stare at her with a fond smile on his face. He looked around on both sides before he closed the stony gate.

 Layla looked kind of lost—so small and tiny in the middle of this enormous room—with her big backpack and cute little toy. Thankfully, her feet weren’t bare. She had these fuzzy pink socks so Keith’s worry that she might catch a cold because of the cold floor withered away. “You can climb into my bed if you want. I don’t mind.”

 She silently did that, but Keith noticed some sluggishness in her movements. Layla swayed a little on to her left side, little feet stumbling, and the Red Paladin didn’t realize he was next to her side until it was too late as he was already supporting her. Her breaths came and went too fast for his liking so Keith took of the bag from her back first and grabbed her body against his chest. She snuggled into him, grasping the satin material with her fingers that now he felt—were wet from sweat.

 “Oh no,” he mumbled. This couldn’t; shouldn’t have happened right now. Not again, he thought. But he swallowed the nausea and his heart that was caging his throat, and carried her onto his mattress, careful not to move her too much. Keith lowered her down and made sure she was fine (as good as it could be) before he went on to search for that pill device that she needed. Layla’s wheezing wasn’t as bad as the first time, but Keith’s panic felt the absolute same. His hands shook, but he miraculously succeeded in opening the front pocket with the zipper and he probably would’ve fainted in relief when he pulled out the exact same thing he was looking for.

 Keith was about to go back to Layla when he realized … he didn’t have water.

 Fuck, fuck, fuck was playing on loop inside his mind. Stars, he didn’t have anything and it’d be fatal if he just went on to look for fucking water in the middle of the night, in a place that was built like a goddamn maze. The backpack looked absolutely inviting in that moment, even when he knew how important it was for the little girl that no one touched it. But he couldn’t just let her.. allow her to get worse or die, just because she demanded some shit. Right?

 Keith looked around and his eyes stopped at the veil. Of course.

 During the Red Paladin’s earlier bath, he had seen a tray of food and something drinkable in a cup. He ignored it, mostly because he wasn’t hungry, but that must’ve been left by some servant. Lifesaving rectangle in hand, Keith hurried to said tray and picked up the fancy cup. He sniffed it twice and took a little sip, just in case.

 He didn’t have time to wait to see if something would happen, but it was better than nothing so he ran back to Layla who was getting worse with every second.

 Keith kneeled on the side of his back and handed her the pill device. He supported the small of her back and head, lifting her so she would not choke.

 She was a bit delirious in the middle of it all. Layla touched the piece and just like the last time—it glowed in blue and a small click was heard. But this time it let out a short, but loud beep that echoed in the room, like an alarm. The pill fell in her hand, and she put it in her mouth with a trembling arm while Keith helped her drink from the cup he took.

 Then Layla settled in his arms and breathed out an exhale of relief.

 That was it. It was over.

 Keith didn’t really care nor he didn’t know how long they stayed together like that, basically cuddling with Layla awake somehow, but refusing to leave his arms that somehow circled her into a protective hug. He was never good with kids, but that girl just broke down every one of his walls just like that; as if it was normal for him to be able to take care of her so well.

 Unfortunately, his legs began to cramp and he himself felt himself dozing off. So Keith laid her down on her side of his bed. Layla let out a sound of a sleepy protest, but he shushed her.

 The Red Paladin went back to his side, putting the blade away this time, on his night stand.

 Keith shared his long blanket with Layla and wasn’t surprised at all when she didn’t waste time to latch onto his body underneath. In fact, Keith welcomed it as weird as that was for him.

 What a strange child.

 “Why didn’t you tell anyone you weren’t feeling well?” He found himself asking quietly. Keith was hoping she wasn’t asleep yet.

 Layla shrugged and sniffled once again.

 “I don’t like when this happens to me,” she whispered. “I feel stupid and weak.”

 Keith hummed at that statement though that didn’t make any sense at all. “Do your … parents know what’s the reason? For you to get these attacks?”

 He didn’t know if this question would’ve caused Layla to put her guard back because it’d reveal the future or something. Or that if it was a sensitive topic for her just like him with his Galra DNA or Lance with his insecurities. But Keith still asked. Maybe she needed some talking with someone who wasn’t Lance for once.

 Layla shifted in his arms, but he felt her nodding.

 “They do. But … my sickness isn’t something super rare. I mean—it’s not that common, but there are people like me … I think.”

 “So you’re sick?”

 “Yeah,” Layla muttered and this time she sounded even quieter. “I was born like this and my grandma said it is generic so my doctor can’t really fix me.”

 Despite the sad confession and confirmation that there was something bad going on with Layla and her health, Keith couldn’t help but chuckle a bit.

 “You mean genetic?”

 “That’s what I said!” Layla huffed angrily.

 

 “You mean inappropriate?”

 “That’s what I said!”

 

 What a cutie. The fact that she spoke two languages was impressive enough so he really couldn’t say anything about her mixing up words or pronouncing them incorrectly. Not to mention that she was still a kid so there was that.

 He decided not to press anymore on the matter with her sickness, although he wanted to know more. How did future Lane handle all of this without wanting to cry or pull out his hair from pure frustration like Keith felt a few minutes ago? Maybe having kids granted you with some kind of super powers that helped you cope with this type of thing.

 Keith felt himself getting sleepy again, and instead of pillow—now he cuddled Lance’s daughter which warmth him and brought him too much of comfort that he was allowed to feel. She was alive and she was well. That was the most important part to him.

 “I had a nightmare,” Layla suddenly announced. As if she was waiting to tell him since the moment she showed up at his door. Keith opened his eyes, that he didn’t realize he had closed and looked idly at the night sky beyond the balcony arcs.

 “Do you want to talk about it?” Keith asked. He didn’t have the slightest idea on how it was to deal with a kid who had a bad dream, but he was certainly going to try at least.

 Layla shrugged again and exhaled a long breath. “I don’t remember anymore.”

 Keith hummed and buried his nose into the crown of her head. Layla’s hair smelled sweet and of baby powder somehow. Must’ve been from the laundry detergent if he had to guess. Before he could think of a response, Layla spoke up.

 “Hey Keith?”

 “Mm?”

 “You … you don’t like that pretty moth guy, right?”

 Her question was hesitant like she was afraid of his answer and his reaction altogether. But there was a small portion of hope hidden underneath it all which caused Keith to laugh silently at how ridiculous was. The daughter of the guy he was in love with just asked him if he liked an alien that flirted with him. Just how ridiculous has his life become?

 He kept laughing and laughing, not knowing why this was that hilarious to him.

 But at the end, he settled in and sighed contentedly, some chuckles and huffs still escaping him. He was going crazy.

 “Go to sleep, Layla,” was what he said instead of replying and resisted the want to kiss her forehead.

 Layla loosed an annoyed growl, but he didn’t pay it no mind as Keith was falling asleep against his will now, eyes dropping and body relaxing. His arms, however, tightened around the little girl still. She was okay; she was safe now.

 Nothing was going to happen to her as long as Keith was here.

 

 

He might’ve been too far gone and it was far too late, to the point Keith didn’t know if he was dreaming or not when someone whispered “good night, dad”.

 Some weird dream is happening, was Keith’s last thought before he fell asleep completely.

 

 

 And yet …

         he didn’t dream at all that night.

 

 

 

Notes:

;;;;;;))))))))

- first of all, i just wanna say : i fucking love jealous lance. jelly lance is in my dna. i get high on that shit. it's superior. i rest my case and that's on that. (also is it possible to fall in love with an OC u made? that's me with adrial holy shit)

- is it normal to hate your writing? like there are times where i think it's fine and then i reread and my mind goes "ah fuck what the fuck is this, this is so bad". like ??? holy shit lmao

- also remember when last time i said i've been waiting to write this chapter? yeah it wasnt that one. i felt like there needed a smoother transition between them so NEXT TIME expect the thing i've been waiting to write since the begining! im so excited EEEK! 💗 💗 💗

- i can't wait once again for your comments, thoughts and theories so send them my way, don't be shy! i read and respond to everyone! you guys are the highlight of my days! i hope the next chap will come a lot faster since i'm back to being to online school which equals me being more relaxed and having more time to write!✨🌹

UNTIL NEXT TIME, YOU BEAUTIFUL ANGELS! 🌙🌼🖋

Chapter 6: silk

Summary:

“I know, I know,” he said and bit his lip. He ran a hand through his already messy hair as if he did that same motion too many times in the past thirty minutes they’ve been here. Then he remembered he had tied his hair up, causing short strands to fall around and frame his face. “I look ridiculous.”

“Funny thing,” Lance breathed out, gaze drinking up every inch of Keith’s body from his head toe. “I don’t think I can stop looking at you.”

Notes:

hi, hello, you beautiful angels! 💗 i'm so so so so deeply sorry for how long this chapter took me! school had me by the balls, i had this one long book to read and sometimes i was too tired to write, didn't have inspo and just straight up procrastinated :(( please accept my apology in the form of a chapter that's like almost 13k words and love me :'))

i think so far, this is my favorite chapter in the fic! it has a lot of klance — so come get your food babies! 🌼

enjoy!! ✨

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter six

silk

 

 

Layla was gone.

 The moment Lance woke up, he knew something was wrong.

 In fact, ever since he put Layla to sleep in her own bed that was next to his, requested by Allura, something heavy and unknown settled deep into his mind like a creepy, unwanted ghost. The Yek’hitian weather wasn’t cold by any means, but it wasn’t warm either which pleasantly didn’t cause him to sweat at all, unlike his room at the Castle that was too suffocating at times due to its size and inability to open the window and let some fresh air in.

 But now, even in this huge room without windows with its high arcs, Lance felt trapped and hopeless as he gazed at Layla’s empty bed.

 The sheets weren’t rumpled and when he had pressed his hand on, he didn’t feel any warmth at all which meant that she left too long ago. Hours possibly. Lance didn’t waste time as he threw his jacket on, not keen on searching this place completely shirtless. He eyed his armor and the bayard next to it, wondering if he should take a weapon just in case. But after some intense seconds of debating, Lance decided to be smart about it and snatched his bayard from his night stand.

 Making his way outside, however, was when he realized he had absolutely no idea on what to do and where to look. This place was massive and it was way too early as the sun hasn’t arisen up yet. With a trembling heart and poisonous panic, Lance’s feet carelessly carried him away from his room.

 God, what if she was kidnapped? What if someone had stolen her from her bed during the night and Lance was too deep into his sleep to notice or hear? That male Yek’hitian from yesterday’s meeting did look suspicious to him … so what if he was the one who had organized this whole thing? Lance wouldn’t hold back from anything if it was true. Not even Allura or Shiro would stop Lance from shooting a hole in someone’s head if they dared to hurt his daughter. His Layla.

 He turned on the right, entering a new hallway that was identical to his own. There were rooms on each side of those tall walls and Lance furrowed his eyebrows in thought.

 He truly didn’t know what to do and he was getting more and more scared with every second that was passing by. His hands began to shake a little, and Lance scolded himself for it. He shouldn’t let the fear control him right now, he should be looking for Layla instead or at least ask for some help from one of his teammates. The problem was that he didn’t know where their rooms were either.

 Lance was truly in deep shit so he inhaled shakily, trying to gain some control over his distressing thoughts and mind. Think, Lance, think.

 He began walking forward, eyes scanning everywhere around him. If he was a ten year old little girl—where would he go? Would he go outside? Maybe the kitchens or the gardens if there were any? Or what if she’d met some enthusiastic Yek’hitian ready to answer all of her curious questions about their race and planet that Lance knew Layla was dying to ask?

 At the end, after standing like an idiot, he simply decided that he couldn’t do this alone. Lance settled on to ask Shiro or Allura for some guidance on finding his own goddamned child, as humiliating as that sounded. He couldn’t even keep her in his room! No wonder she seemed so distant and unsure about him—he must’ve been a fucking disaster in the future. The problem that stood in his way, however, was that he didn’t have the slightest idea on where all of his friends slept, let alone the Voltron leaders. Maybe they had special rooms on another level or even in different wing. After the long meeting that occurred yesterday, Lance was too tired to keep up with who went where and crashed into his bed after he put Layla to sleep.

 He could’ve asked a servant, but no sound came from anywhere in those ghostly hallways.

 A door that was on his closest left looked promising and Lance hoped that he wouldn’t disturb anyone. He’d definitely prefer a grumpy and angry Pidge than to explain himself nervously to some random Yek’hitian about how he didn’t know the whereabouts of his daughter. Lance put his bayard in the deep pocket of his jacket, not wanting to make a bad impression, although his feet did widen instinctively as he raised a hand to tap on the door.

 There was silence that met his lifeless thud. But that was to be expected since this whole thing was made of stone. Hitting it more firmly finally attributed to something as the doors departed with a heavy hiss to reveal a wide eyed Hunk in a yellow bathrobe and wet hair.

 The relief that hit him was stronger than that hard ass door.

 “Lance?” He asked and looked around him. “What the hell man! I thought it was some Yek’hitian ready to scold me that I was late about the wedding!”

 Lance raised a confused brow. “You do know it’s like … super early, right?”

 “Maybe they have super early weddings?” Hunk offered tentatively back and looked him up and down. He must’ve noticed Lance’s distress or weird attire because his eyebrows furrowed and Hunk’s face morphed into his serious one. “What’s wrong?”

 “Layla,” was all Lance could say, that painful dread coming back, travelling around his body to the point he was sure his best friend could feel it. “I can’t find her! A-and her bed felt cold so I’m worried if someone took her! God, Hunk, what if she’s lost or kidnapped and we miss the time storm for tomorrow and she gets stuck for who knows how long and then we never find her again—”

 He was interrupted by Hunk’s sturdy arms grabbing him from the sides. “Lance! Holy shit! Calm down, man! I’m the panicking guy, not you! I know this is a matter for freaking out, but we’ll never find her if you hyperventilate to death! Deep breaths, c’mon.”

 Lance focused deeply on Hunk’s brown eyes. He sought out the comfort that the love in them gave him and followed his instructions on breathing.

 “There you go,” Hunk mumbled and tapped him on the biceps. “Now, tell me when was the last time you saw her.”

 Lance’s eyes closed and he inhaled, trying to settle his heart into more of a peaceful rhythm, focusing on Hunk’s touch. Yesterday, he took Layla to the kitchens after the meeting since she complained quietly about being hungry. Lance had a great time with talking to the staff there and all the Yek’hitians positively cooed over a shy Layla and her cuteness when the girl asked for some food. Afterwards Lance grabbed her and carried her to their room with the help of a servant who was waiting by the door the entire time. Lance felt a little bad for making the man wait, but he was too focused on Layla dozing off tiredly on his shoulder. Then Coran came later with all their luggage, including Layla’s backpack from which she took her pajamas and waited for Lance to put on her bed.

 The Blue Paladin felt a tug deep inside him when it was obvious that the night wear was something that belonged to his little niece back home, Nadia. He missed her so much and he felt happy that perhaps in the future she loved Lance and his daughter to the point she’d give all of her old clothes. Layla climbed into her own bed, hugging her fluffy toy and then she’d … leaned her head upwards with her eyes closed still. At first, Lance was frozen on his place, staring at Layla confused as she furrowed her big expressive brows the longer she waited like she was—like she was expecting something.

 And then it had clicked. Of course.

 Lance chuckled to himself quietly and leaned down to kiss her forehead, moving her curls away gently with his hand. He murmured ‘good night’ in Spanish and Layla had returned it just as sweetly as he himself said it. Then Layla turned away and buried herself under the heavy blankets and Lance did the same after he brushed his teeth and went through his beauty nightly routine.

 He finished explaining everything to Hunk who nodded every now and then.

 “I—I just don’t know where she could possibly be,” sighed Lance and carved a hand through his hair that now felt wetter than before from all the nervous sweat. He felt some of it dripping down his back due to the warmth material from the inside of his jacket. “Hunk please you have to help me.”

 “Okay, okay listen,” said Hunk seriously and tightened the robe around himself. “We gotta be careful with this, Lance. Some of these people … er aliens are just waiting for us to do screw up something. You saw that dude yesterday with the black wings.”

 Lance nodded, feeling once again, uneasy and nervous when the image of that wrinkly old face slipped through his mind unwanted. He had to refrain himself from punching that male a lot during that meeting, especially when Layla quivered in fear under his hard gaze.

 “How about we look for the team first, hm?” Hunk proposed with a smile, but even Lance could see the nervous twitch around it. “Let’s wake them up and think of something together, alright?”

 “Yes, I had that in mind too,” replied Lance and stepped away from the entrance of Hunk’s room and looked around in the hallway again. Another reminder he didn’t know where the hell was he. “The thing is—I don’t know where their rooms are. I didn’t even know this was yours, I was just going by sheer luck!”

 Hunk raised a finger and went inside his room. Lance curiously peeked, not helping himself. The room was as same as his, or as close as it could, he guessed. His best friend came back with his bayard in hand and his familiar orange bandana circled around his forehead. “We can split up if you want! My servant told me Keith is on the upper level and I already know where Pidge is. We hung out a little yesterday around the place so we’ll probably find the rest quicker, okay?”

 Lance opened his mouth, ready to protest. Hunk surely knew that he and the Red Paladin weren’t really on speaking terms lately. It was painfully obvious and even more painful for Lance. He was so used to Keith’s presence these past few months that now he felt the cold absence of him too well after their fight on the observation deck.

 But his best friend was unusually quick on his feet and brought down a heavy hand on his shoulder before he hurried down, to the bottom of the corridor where Lance saw a staircase on the right.

 “Let’s wait each other in front of my room in thirty minutes if you find anything!” Hunk yelled behind his shoulder and not too soon, Lance was left alone gaping in the silence with his own heart beating loudly in the gaping silence.

 The thought of Layla, alone and scared somewhere, probably waiting for her father to find her was what drove him into action and in less than a minute, Lance found himself in front of an identical door to his own and Hunk’s. The flower designs and the sand stone were prickling his eyes. Keith was inside and … they haven’t had a proper talk in what felt so long, but Lance had no doubts that if he mentioned Layla—Keith wouldn’t hesitate to offer his help to find her.

 So he raised a shaking fist, gulped down his stubborn pride and agitation where it could not be found, and brought it down heavily on its hard surface.

 Lance knew it’d take more than that to make a sound, loud enough to wake Keith up from his sleep. He repeated the motion again, this time firmer and stronger, desperation running through his veins.

 Shit … what if Keith was also gone? What if that fucker with the pretty face and the white wings whisked him in the middle of the night? Flew right into his room through that wide arc and took a hold of his unconscious body and now Lance would have not one, but two people he cared deeply about taken away from him.

 But just as he raised his hand again, ready to break the door even, the sides separated with a sound and the first thing that Lance managed to see was Keith’s bleary, but threatening indigo gaze on the other side.

 The first thing that Lance should’ve noticed immediately, as a Paladin and a soldier who was trained in defense and offense, was Keith’s silver blade gripped in his hand and ready to stab anyone whom he deemed dangerous to his safety.

 He should’ve noticed that.

 But the morning was cruel and Lance was a man in love so the only thing that caught his attention and riveted it there like a nail on a wall—was the dark red robe around Keith’s body that had slipped, only to reveal the nakedness of his collarbone and shoulder.

 Lance had seen him nearly naked many times. It was logical, of course, sometimes they had to share the public showers that were closer to the training deck than their own rooms after a particularly tiring training session. They’ve aligned their visits to the pools sometimes and it wasn’t really taboo to see another boy shirtless. Lance had enough share of seeing fellow male classmates back in the Garrison so it really wasn’t a huge deal.

 But this … Keith with a satin robe, slipping down his body like dripping water … as if it was teasing Lance. Testing his ability to not lurch forward and kiss and bite those spotless places.

 “Oh,” Keith said and Lance almost shook his head in order to let those dirty thoughts scatter away from his brain. “Lance. It’s you.”

 His shoulders visibly relaxed and Keith’s hand made its way towards his messy bed hair, tangling it even more. Lance’s desire bloomed like a flower in his chest to the point it’d felt like a physical ache the longer he couldn’t reach out to touch the boy in front of him. Keith’s eyes ranked up and down, perhaps looking for an obvious sign on why Lance was here, so early in the morning. A small look on Lance’s side was a cold reminder that he was shirtless in front of his crush, with only his jacket on.

 He offered an apologetic glance to Keith whose eyes had widened a bit with a small flush settled on his cheeks. Great, now he was embarrassed. He should’ve put on a shirt.

 Lance cleared his throat, almost flinching at how loud it ringed in this awkward silence between them.

 “Is everything o—” Keith began with hesitation, but the chance to continue his question was rudely taken by Lance.

 “Layla,” he blurted out. The second her name was let out from him, Lance’s worry increased and took over those feelings he had for Keith. “I put her to bed this night, but then when I woke up I couldn’t find her! And I’m low key panicking, because this Yek’hitian man from yesterday looked really suspicious and I’m so worried someone took her! Hunk is looking for the rest of the team right now and he told me where your room—”

 “God, Lance,” mumbled Keith and Lance was surprised, caught in the middle of rambling, to see a small soft smile on his lips. “Calm the fuck down. Layla is fine.”

 Lance blinked at this statement, his mind ceasing to work and he brought down the hands he didn’t even realize was trashing around. Keith only smiled sneakily and stepped aside, the invite to his room crystal clear to Lance who entered cautiously inside. He didn’t know why he was so calm all of a sudden, especially with the knowledge his own daughter was gone … and yet the knot that his heart had become wasn’t so heavy in his chest now when he saw Keith’s comforting smile.

 He could hear the hissing noise of the doors colliding once again, but all sounds suddenly turned into static—the moment he caught sight of Layla sleeping in the big bed on his left.

 Keith’s bed.

 His mouth opened, but nothing came out of it.

 She was there, his small daughter, with the same pajamas he had seen her when he put her to bed; her black, curly hair loose in a stark contrast against the sheets and white pillows. The twist deep inside him untied as he breathed out a sigh of relief. He almost fell to his knees sobbing at the pure reassurance that Layla was completely fine. She was okay and healthy and nothing bad happened to her.

 “She came in the middle of the night,” explained Keith who came to stand at his side, his arms crossed. His collarbone and shoulder were now well covered and Lance mourned the loss of Keith’s exposed skin. He felt himself burning red with the thought and whirled back to face Layla. “I thought she was some intruder, but she was kind of upset … I didn’t know what to do so I told her to come in. I’m sorry, Lance, I completely forgot you would’ve looked for her and worry.”

 Lance sighed again and shrugged it off, smiling at Keith. “It’s okay, I’m just glad she’s alright. I completely lost it when I couldn’t find her.”

 With that, he prodded towards Keith’s bed without saying anything else and sat down on it, next to Layla’s sleeping body. She was fully buried in the blankets and her head looked even smaller as it was laying on that big pillow. That one alien plushy toy was present as ever, pressed against her like Layla was going to protect it even in her dreams. Lance gazed at her with a gentle, loving smile—unconditional love and adoration completely stomping on his anxiety the longer he watched her.

 Lance inched closer to her and raised a hand. Tenderly and carefully as not to wake her up, he touched her forehead which was warmer than usual, but not alarmingly so. Lance caressed her back and forth, playing with her hair. At the end, he leaned down to plant a small kiss on the crown of her head that smelled of laundry and Layla. God, he’d miss her so much when she goes away. It was exhausting to take care of someone constantly and to worry about them all the time, especially when Layla had that weird sickness that she still refused to talk about. He was always on the edge, waiting for the next one. But she was his child, his own blood and flesh and some part of him couldn’t wait for the future where he’d see her every day and be the father she actually knew and recognized.

 Lance tried to untangle some of the knots in her hair carefully and his heart almost dropped to the ground when Layla stirred and her eyes opened, though not that much.

 “Mmm?”

 “It’s okay, querida, go back to sleep,” Lance was quick to croon, but stubborn as ever, Layla looked to the side at his face. Her blue eyes were hazy and tired, and her lips pursued in a pout; that familiar pout that Lance had seen so many times, but couldn’t figure out from where ever since they found her. Layla buried herself once again into her pillow, closing her eyes.

 “Where’s daddy?” She asked, the question quiet and small and it trailed off, but it was obvious she wasn’t falling asleep again if she didn’t receive an answer. Lance’s brows drew in confusion and his hand halted the caressing movement. She hadn’t really called him anything throughout the time she was here. The only time Layla addressed him was when she called him ‘Papa’ in the middle of her attack back when it scared him shitless. She did mention him the first day she arrived, how he carried her hair ties. But now she saw him, didn’t she? Why was Layla asking about where her dad was, when he was clearly present?

 Assuming she just meant him and was too delirious to process what was happening, perhaps even wrongly imagining Keith instead of him, Lance kissed her forehead again and whispered, “He’s here, sweetie.”

 And it was enough for the little girl. Layla nodded idly at that and went back to sleep.

 He stood another minute or two on the bed, before Lance finally unglued his gaze away from her and looked to the left. Keith was there, leaning up with his elbows on the balcony, his right hand supporting his head as he looked down at the world beneath him. If Lance thought Keith looked like a siren back on the observation deck—now he was more of a Fae, with his ethereal beauty where the first rays of the sunrise bathed him in a beautiful glow. He looked like an immortal being out of a fantasy book.

 Lance did miss him a lot. All the easy talks, the teasing and the playful jabs that weren’t mean anymore. To this point, the both of them were just too stubborn to talk to each other. Or perhaps Keith was too hurt by Lance’s words. He knew he’d went too far, but … fuck. It was time for this to end.

 With some found determination within himself, Lance tucked Layla and stood up, heading to the Red Paladin. Keith barely spared him a glance as Lance mirrored his pose and looked down.

 The streets below looked empty, save for some Yek’hitians flying around the buildings. Some carried bags and some clothes, but Lance couldn’t really make out much since they were too far up. Keith probably could, though. His Galra genes were certainly a plus when it came to vision, hearing and strength.

 Keith suddenly spoke up, “You okay?”

 Lance turned to the boy and almost sighed dreamily at the sight of those beautiful eyes staring right into him.

 “Sure. Why wouldn’t I be?”

 Keith let out a huff and rubbed his eyes in an almost angry way as if he was frustrated about something, but he couldn’t tell Lance why. At the end, he only brushed his bangs away from his forehead, allowing Lance to see his full face that only made his heart beat faster in his chest.

 “Listen,” Keith began and fixed his intense gaze on him, his eyes begging for Lance to listen and for his entire attention. Which was funny, because there wasn’t ever a time where Keith could ask for Lance’s attention when he always got it anyways. “Layla had an attack again when she came here.”

 Lance felt a wave of terror washing over him and drowning his heart at what Keith just said, but he didn’t have the opportunity to move away so he’d check on his daughter again, because Keith’s hand grabbed a hold of his wrist on time.

 “Don’t worry, she’s okay now,” Keith said, eyes alight with understanding. There was some hurt, too, and Lance felt himself breaking in two. He barely handled that mentally when it first happened, but now Keith endured it too? All alone where no one could’ve helped him, the panic unbearable and gnawing. “I gave her one of her pills. I—I just thought you deserved to know. It’s a pretty big deal.”

 Lance swallowed the solidness down and focused too much than needed on Keith’s touch. “Yeah … it is.”

 Keith nodded at that, his cool fingers still weaved around him. Lance was worried the boy would be able to sense how his pulse was a constant thunder; if he’d be able to feel it.

 “I asked her if her parents know and she said it’s genetic,” Keith announced. “Do you know if someone in your family has something like this?”

 “Not that I know of,” Lance replied and looked back at where Layla was sleeping silently. Maybe some relatives in his family didn’t consider it important enough to tell him, especially if it wasn’t relevant to any of his siblings, cousins or nephews. His mother certainly didn’t speak up about a genetic illness running in their family, although it wasn’t impossible. But what if … “What if it’s not from my side?”

 A question that never left Lance’s brain no matter how many times he tried to banish it away. Who was the other parent? Who won his heart and who did Layla possibly love just as much as she loved him? Were they present in their lives in the future? Were they dead? No one seemed to know, no one seemed to ask and the little girl definitely didn’t seem to want to grant them the answer.

 In an instant, Keith pulled away from him, hand leaving his own. Albeit, the other boy never moved away, still standing with only centimeters between them, Lance still felt a greater distance now. One that wasn’t physical.

 “Ah, yes, of course,” he said and thrusted his head to the side. To move his bangs away or to thrust unwanted thoughts elsewhere—Lance didn’t know. “The thing is, I’ll keep a closer eye, yeah? I know she’s leaving tomorrow and it’s a bit too late, but I’ll tell you if I see anything suspicious.”

 Keith’s eyes were earnest and Lance took a small step towards him, that the other didn’t seem to notice.

 How badly he wished to just kiss him. To hug him and tell him that he didn’t know how he possibly could’ve fallen for another when all he ever wanted and needed in a person was right in front of him, as long as he remembered. But Lance only held himself back, with a fisted hand and a dream of something he apparently would never have.

 “Thank you,” were his only words. Keith’s stare remained on his face, looking all around his face, searching for something. Lance wished he read thoughts only so he could know what exactly.

 But then he beheld away with a small ‘yeah’ that sounded too depressive for his taste. The awkward silence began stretching again and Lance was abruptly reminded of why he came here when he could’ve just stayed on the bed without confrontation.

 “Keith,” he said and reveled at the way Keith actually turned to him to listen. It would’ve been morbid if he was going to be ignored. “I … I’m sorry.”

 Keith responded with his brows locking up together with evident puzzlement.

 “For that other night,” Lance elaborated, the words as heavy as iron in his mouth. “What I said was horrible and …  and I’d never wish to truly hurt you in the way I did that night. I’m sorry that I used all of your insecurities and fears against you when … when I knew how much it meant for you—for us—to share them and keep them secret. If I could turn back the time I would’ve never said that. I know you were only trying to help me and make me feel better. I’m just a coward, you know? I’ll … understand if you hate me or at least … not to be as close as we became.”

 Lance didn’t even realize that in the middle of his words, he had taken a gentle hold of Keith’s hands where he now held them against his chest. Not until Keith squeezed back just as softly, a small smile dancing on his lips. Lance almost lost the intern battle with himself to not lean down and kiss him.

 “Lance, you’re many things. Loud, flirty, annoying, arrogant, cocky and you sing way too loud in the showers,” Keith said with a teasing hilt to his voice, his smile morphing into a smirk.

 “Hey!” Lance protested, whispering loudly, still aware that Layla was sleeping not too far away.

 “But,” Keith cut him off, that affectionate smile returning. “you’re also one of the kindest, funniest, bravest, most empathetic and amazing people I know. And you are anything, but a coward, Lance McClain.”

 Lance feared his palms were too sweaty, his heartbeat pounding everywhere it could in his body and he just knew that his cheeks were scarlet that even his brown skin couldn’t hide it well. A small ray of sunlight from sideways caught Keith’s dark blue eyes, turning them purple; purple like the most beautiful galaxy or space dust. He’d never believed that he’d witness such a sight. Not even the beauty of space could make him this breathless. Keith was unworldly, even here—on an alien planet that was far away from their home one. Lance felt unworthy of even looking at him.

 “I could never hate you either,” Keith said, face tipping up just a little towards his. Lance was suddenly too aware of how close they stood. Yet neither of them moved. “I owe you an apology too. I—I just … I just hate seeing you like this. I can’t stand the thought of you thinking you’re less when you’re so much more than you realize, Lance.”

 A sad sigh followed, but Keith kept going on. “And I admit that I came on too harsh and that I shouldn’t have spoken up in front of everyone when you put your trust in me all those nights. I don’t know what to do, what to say, how to help.”

 Lance was ready to say it was his own fault that he got angry, but Keith continued without a pause again, “You always know the right thing to say, yet I always fuck up when it comes to … this.”

 This being talking and gathering social clues. Lance always hated that Keith beat himself up over it. It wasn’t an easy thing to control and it took a lot of time for someone like Keith who had grown up without his parents, without actual friends and good emotional support. Shiro was one of those people who didn’t get scared of that tough exterior Keith always wore like an armor for his broken heart, but it wasn’t a terrible thing. In fact, Lance found it endearing most of the times, but he may have been a little bit biased.

 “You didn’t fuck up—no, Keith—let me talk. I appreciate you caring about me a lot more than I let on. It’s just … those are my issues and I don’t want you to hurt your head over it when you have enough already. Sometimes facing those insecurities is just scarier than I think and I turn into someone who hurts his loved ones. I don’t want us to argue anymore over this, okay? Please?”

 Lance knew he looked like the perfect picture of vulnerability at this very moment and Keith noticed that, for he granted him with a small nod.

 The both of them stood there, watching in silence the sun rising over the horizon, the noises coming from down the city getting louder and louder the more the sun showed its long shiny rays.

 Their hands were still together.

 Not once did Keith look like he wanted to pull away from his grasp. And Lance was left with new million questions blinding him just like the beginning of this new day.

 

 

* * *

 


It turned out, unsurprisingly, that the Yek’hitian capital—Zalia—was as beautiful as it looked from when he flew above it yesterday. Perhaps even more than Lance expected as his gaze swept over the tall, swirling buildings that disappeared in the high air and gaping streets, stores and bridges over the shiny blue water, just begging for Lance to dip inside. The sky was blue and clear, with no clouds to be found, although he wasn’t even sure if they even existed here. There were occasional natives flying around. Some looked in hurry and Lance knew it was because of the wedding of Menysa’s daughter that Voltron had yet to meet. Some, however, were either walking leisurely while chatting between themselves.

 It looked so normal and once again, Lance was hit by the heavy reminder that this was what he fought for. All the battles, all the scars, tears and blood—it all came down to saving those aliens who have seen and endured maybe thrice as him and were still smiling, happy and preparing for something usually so mundane in a middle of a bloody war.

 One Yek’hitian couple on Lance’s right grabbed his attention from the corner of his eye. They looked young, faces wide because of their smiles and eyes bright with happiness as they were swinging over a small baby. The little one tried to flap its small wings in the air, but at the end it fell into the arms of his parent. Instead of breaking out in tears, however, the air was immediately filled with a bubbly giggling.

 A smile creeped on his lips before Lance even knew and without knowing, he searched for Layla in the crowd.

 Over breakfast, Menysa and her royal advisor told the team that they had to travel to a specific place if they wanted to have their wedding attire done by the end of the day. As Lance guessed correctly, unlike Hunk, the Yek’hitian weddings happened only at night and lasted two days. Lance didn’t know the reason of why and he didn’t really care. He loved weddings a lot so there wouldn’t be any complaining on his part. Though, he didn’t know how he’d explain to the Yek’hitians tomorrow when Layla leaves. But he was sure he and Allura would think of something believable when the time came. For now he just focused on the beautiful day and the beautiful city waiting ahead of him.

 And as if he had summoning powers, a small hand out of the blue, found home in his. Lance looked down with a smile. Layla was beaming at everything in front of her. Whatever her eyes caught—it was all worth observing. From the shops, to the water flowing everywhere, to the escorts who seemed to have no problem answering all kinds questions.

 Hunk, Pidge and Shiro stayed behind in the palace for different reasons. Hunk wanted to help with the catering as much as he could; Pidge simply didn’t feel like going out and Shiro … well, it seemed that it wasn’t a good day for Shiro today so no one said anything when their leader retrieved with a tight smile. They took measurements for them, but Lance, Keith and Allura, along with Layla, wanted to have a walk in the city.

 “You having fun?” Lance asked Layla, arranging her backpack onto his back more firmly. She was almost protesting when Lance took it from her when they were heading out, but he assured her he wasn’t going to look inside. A part of him cheered when she agreed, some sign of relief cutting her features. The bag wasn’t as heavy as Lance thought, but too heavy for her ten year old body.

 She nodded with a cheeky grin, a light jump to her steps. “I like their wings. Do you think it hurts them when they fly?”

 Lance shrugged.

 “I have no idea,” he said, and an idea popping up followed in his mind. “Why don’t we ask them?”

 The question excited her to no end, judging by her frantic nodding, but Lance still noticed at the way her eyes averted slightly down, at the way her hand significantly tightened around his like a small snake. Lance looked up, seeking for maybe Menysa or perhaps the next friendliest Yek’hitian their escorting group had to offer.

 But far ahead, at the front, Menysa and Allura were talking with two guards on each of their side. They both looked enchanted with the topic they were discussing so Lance decided against interrupting them. Another Yek’hitian from yesterday, the pink skinned one flew way too high above them and the muscular lady that carried Hunk was too far away. Then Lance looked on his right and—

 Of course.

 Something ugly and bitter settled on the tip of his tongue like acid. He felt like he had to spit this thing out on the ground from how badly it burned his mouth. Lance scowled in displeasure at the picture that graced his eyes which was Adrial and Keith walking along diagonally of he and Layla.

 The Yek’hitian male was in the same clothes from yesterday, swords on each side and the small Marmora blade, strapped on his muscular back. He said something to Keith whom looked way too interesting in what was coming out of Adrial’s mouth that caused Lance to slightly drift to the right, closer to them.

 He knew it was jealousy. Jealousy—that feeling of pettiness and irritation and anger that merged into one. The moment Lance took a notice of that handsome fucker ogling Keith in front of everyone, he knew that familiar hideous emotion would surface. And the worst part was that Lance didn’t even have the right to be so jealous; or to want to just march there and yell at Adrial about how Keith wasn’t only mesmerizing looks, but also personality that was worth more than everything precious in this universe. He didn’t have any right, because no matter what, Keith wasn’t his.

 The hand in his own reminded him that he wasn’t going to be Lance’s ever.

 Layla made a weird nose, akin to disgust.

 “Ugh, not him,” she said, probably following at where he had looked and despite everything, Lance’s lips quirked up. It brought him way too pleasure than he had to feel at knowing she didn’t like Adrial just as much. But she must’ve had a different reason than his. Lance’s dislike was just coming from feeling insecure.

 “He’s the only one we can ask though,” said Lance with a grunt, squinting his eyes when Keith’s laugh travelled to his ears. What did that man even say to be granted with Keith’s beautiful laughter?

 “Then I don’t care anymore,” Layla retorted with a shrug and tugged him to one of the bridges on their left where he saw an Yek’hitian playing on an interesting looking instrument with a small crowd surrounding him by the river. “C’mon I wanna try drinking from this water!”

 Lance rolled his eyes fondly, knowing he’d rather die than let her drink from something Pidge hasn’t confirmed is safe.

 However, before they strayed too far, unconsciously Lance threw one last look over his shoulder and he could’ve sworn that Keith’s eyes were staring right back at him.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Oh, Layla, you look absolutely stunning!”

 Allura’s loud and enthusiastic clap echoed in the whole dressing room and it was soon followed by all the other Yek’hitians agreeing and cheering. Layla averted her head shyly to the side, allowing her black hair to cover her face, but Lance on the side, from where he was sitting on his plushy chair, still caught her smiling a little. Her cheeks had a red tint to them and she stepped from side to side nervously on the small podium that rose a few inches above the ground.

 With the help of the female Yek’hitian designer, Layla was dressed in a beautiful dress. It was in navy blue color that according to Menysa would match the her eyes. Lance didn’t even know what material it was, but the closest thing that Lance could call it, was silk. At least from the perspective of a man who grew up on Earth. It had long sleeves that fit snugly around her small arms and the layered bottom almost reached the floor, leaving a small gap so she could be comfortable walking without worrying if she’d trip.

 Layla twirled around and everyone awed at the big shiny bow at her back, decorated with shining jewels at the center.

 “Dear, you look like a true princess!” Cooed the pink skinned Yek’hitian—Peonika—as Lance had learned was her name, her red wings fluttering with delight. “You only need a tiara and it’ll be perfect!”

 There was another wave of agreements and cheers and Lance chuckled, noticing Layla drifting closer to him as everyone fussed over the new things they could add.

 “You wanna see yourself?” Lance asked, arching a brow and nodded at the mirror that was a bit far from the podium. It was a bit too far so she had to go down if the girl wanted to see her reflection. After Layla answered with a nod, Lance stood up and grabbed her around the waist, bringing her down to the floor. The moment her feet touched solid surface—she broke into a small run towards the huge mirror, Lance’s laugh following her.

 Allura herself steered to Layla, went on one knee and began fixing her disheveled skirts and then her hair which she splayed nicely around her shoulders. Layla giggled at something Allura must’ve told her and Lance’s heart swelled with love. Peonika was right, he thought fondly. His daughter really did look like a princess.

 Lance sighed and joined them both. He leaned down, putting his arms on her shoulders as he ducked down to plant a small kiss on top of her head. “Do you like it, princesa?”

 Layla muttered a confirmation, wary of all the eyes focused on her, but then she locked her gaze with Lance through the mirror and spoke quietly with a toothy smile that looked quite fake, “Papá, el lazo está demasiado apretado. No puedo respirar.”

 Lance couldn’t help himself and let out a laugh, ignoring Allura’s curious eyes. “¿Por qué no dijiste nada?”

 “¡Porque estoy avergonzada!” She said fervently, her cheeks redder now and Lance knew she was trying not to stomp at the ground from anger, even more embarrassed if she gathered any more attention from all the Yek’hitians around them.

 “Lance, what is it?” Allura asked and threw Layla a troubled glance, the lines on her face changing into ones of worry.

 Her own dress shone greatly under the white lights. It was made of thousands pale pink crystals glued next to each other, creating a wide blanket of a diamond sea shimmering gorgeously. It was in a design of those mermaid wedding dresses that Lance had seen from those catalogues thrown around at his house in Cuba, from where Lisa was picking a dress for her and Marco’s wedding. The rest of the gown was wide in her feet and it draped a few inches behind Allura like a liquid made of stars. The top part clung to her strong body and curves, the short sleeves showing off her muscular arms and the pink Altean marks that swirled down to her wrists like flower vines. Some time ago, her beauty would’ve caused Lance’s eyes to bug out, for his mind to shut down and flirty words would’ve escape his lips … but now … now he just appreciated his best friend who looked absolutely beautiful.

 “It’s nothing,” Lance said, waving her off even though it accomplished nothing to ease her. “Just let me—”

 He began muttering to himself and tried to find a solution on untying the big ribbon, his hands hesitating in the air as he was not sure how he’d do it without messing something up. But thankfully, for his sake, Allura seemed to understand.

 “Ah, Layla is it too tight, darling?” The princess chose to talk in whispers and from the way Layla’s shoulders relaxed—she’d been grateful for that.

 “A bit,” she said in a small voice and in a second, he was shooed away by a persistent Allura, taking his place behind the girl. Her hands were skillful while she undid the bow in one smooth motion. Then she threw a look at Lance.

 “Perhaps your father should go and dress himself, don’t you think so, Layla?”

 Layla nodded at that, curls jumping slightly and this time, a real smile overtook her features. “If I’m a princess, then you can also be a prince, Papá. You and Keith could wear dresses like me and aunty ‘Lura!”

 That caused Allura to fall into a fit of laughter which caused Lance to frown playfully at his friend. Someone must’ve heard their conversation, because an Yek’hitian assistant showed up on Lance’s left, offering a box with a big happy grin. He took it with a ‘thank you’ and made his way to the dressing rooms.

 “Just so you know—me and Keith would rock dresses way better than you two!” Lance yelled and stuck out his tongue at the girls who protested immediately.

 “Only in your dreams, Lance!”

 Lance chuckled at that and swatted one of the heavy velvet curtains to the side of the room where Layla dressed. Her own clothes were neatly folded on one of the chairs in the corner and surprisingly there was no mirror so for all Lance knew, he could’ve been pranked and show up looking like a complete idiot.

 It had been too silent, so when a familiar voice spoke up it startled Lance, causing him to jump slightly. “I barely dressed myself in this outfit—what’s left for a fucking dress.”

 Keith sounded slightly annoyed, a dissatisfied edge to his tone which to Lance nowadays reminded him more of an angry cat, rather than the fearsome Red Paladin who probably just couldn’t fasten his cuffs or knot his tie. Everyone was already aware in the waiting room that Keith had been here for too long, but Lance knew it was either nerves that he looked stupid (which most of the time was proven to be false) or he simply didn’t know how to dress correctly in his outfit. The Blue Paladin made sure the designer and the owner of this fashion house to know that, since she looked slightly worried that Keith didn’t find the outfit to fit his tastes.

 Lance huffed. “Do you want help?”

 A moment of hesitation that was followed by another annoyed huff. Lance strained his ears and heard some jingling, causing his curiosity to grow. He didn’t have the slightest idea what was Keith’s wedding attire, since the designer told them she made every piece completely different for each Paladin. But Keith could be dressed in a trash bag for all Lance cared since he knew no matter what—he’d steal his and everyone’s breath away anyways.

 “Yes, please.”

 Lance drew the curtain back, leaving his own box unopened and padded to Keith’s side, knocking with his knuckles the wooden surface separating them to signal his friend that he was entering.

 He made sure to enter as discreetly as possible, closing the curtain completely as Lance looked around for any Yek’hitians, but there was none so he turned around to Keith.

 “Okay, what seems to be the problem, you drama qu—”

 And just like that, all words that seemingly were gonna escape him, died in his own throat.

 Lance was sure his eyes were as wide as plates, his breath hitching up and his heart did a loud stutter in his chest which traveled to his stomach and toes. His hands flexed next to his thighs and he made sure to gulp not once, but twice while his eyes surveyed the man in front of him. Hardly someone could ever grant a great title such as ‘the most beautiful being you have ever seen’ with such ease as Lance granted Keith in this exact moment, but how could he not when he was absolutely and undoubtedly sure that Keith was the most exquisite angel, crafted specifically by some God above; made specifically so Lance could sink on his knees so he could worship the ground Keith walked upon.

 “Wow …” was the only thing Lance could muster.

 Keith was dressed in a deep scarlet top and pants, a darker shade than the one on his armor, all tight enough to show off all the marvelous parts he owned.

 The shirt was of the same material that was Layla’s dress, silky and smooth, almost even shining under the lamps. The sleeves were long, covering his whole arms, sticking to Keith like a second skin—just like their Paladin under suits—which accented to his strong arms, built with muscles from all the Paladin training. The shirt continued up to envelop his throat in a replica of a turtleneck. But the most scandalous thing, Lance supposed, in this outfit was the back. Or therefore … the lack of material covering it.

 His friend’s backside was bare to the air behind him and Lance traced the slight goosebumps that covered his naked back. His figure was defined, shoulders broad, the dimples and the lines forming a painting of beauty, all narrowing down to his small waist Lance wished to encircle with his arms, perhaps kiss it or caress it. Keith’s pale skin was smooth as marble that he wondered what would he have to do just so he could go ahead and press his fingers to it.

 Lance’s eyes continued downwards and wasn’t left disappointed. The pants clung to Keith’s firm thighs like a viper, followed by the round swell of beautiful ass that Lance had looked at too many times than he would’ve ever dared to admit. The tightness of it all, however, ended to Keith’s knees and from there on—the pants spread wide enough like a tent all the way to where it almost reached the ground. It reminded him of Allura’s mermaid dress and now when Lance thought about it, a lot of Yek’hitians on the streets wore a familiar pattern of clothing. Charleston pants, he guessed. Even aliens liked it.

 Keith met his eyes in the mirror with some amount of uncertainty. Lance took notice of the high ponytail, resisting to look at Keith’s exposed neck.

 “I know, I know,” he said and bit his lip. He ran a hand through his already messy hair as if he did that same motion too many times in the past thirty minutes they’ve been here. Then he remembered he had tied his hair up, causing short strands to fall around and frame his face. “I look ridiculous.”

 “Funny thing,” Lance breathed out, gaze drinking up every inch of Keith’s body from his head toe. “I don’t think I can stop looking at you.”

 Keith whirled to look back at Lance, his lips morphing into a tight line, but his red cheeks gave away his embarrassment. And with the motion, the pants revealed the tiny detail of small slits that were cut vertically along, allowing Lance to gaze upon the tiny part from where his thighs were visible. Not to mention, that it turned out his shirt was a bit higher than expected and now Lance’s laser eyes were focused on Keith’s uncovered waist and navel.

 God have mercy on me, Lance prayed inwardly.

 “Stop making fun of me,” Keith hissed with no actual heat. “I’m dressed in a freaking … crop top or something! And my back! What if someone attacks me from behind and I get stabbed like some amateur?”

 Ignoring the pooling heat in his abdomen, Lance prodded forwards and clicked his tongue in disapproval. Keith’s smell hit him like a brick in the face and he inhaled secretly, trying to memorize the sweet and clean scent of him. “I don’t see a problem, honestly.”

 Keith stared at him like he was crazy man, his eyes once again violet under the faint yellow illumination.

 “Don’t you think it’s a bit … I don’t know …” Keith trailed off and twirled around to face the mirror. He glanced up and down his body, doubt and insecurity clouding his eyes. It made Lance’s heart to hurt to look at the great Keith, so afraid and unsure of his own body.

 “It’s a bit what?” Lance prompted around Keith’s hair and ponytail that tickled his mouth and chin. The wish to kiss the boy in front of him was like a bruise, big and aching whenever he poked it with his finger.

 “Revealing?” Keith sighed the word and this time he looked up at Lance on the mirror.

 He felt and saw himself scowling at the statement.

 “I don’t know,” The Red Paladin muttered again and his shoulders slumped sadly, like some certain memory in his brain was unlocked judging by the way he looked like he was here with Lance, but not at the same time. As if he was living through something he obviously wished he’d forget.

 “What are you talking about?” Lance asked softly, his hands itching to take Keith and turn him back to him so he could truly view and witness all the love, all the emotions he wished he could voice out loud.

 “There was this guy,” Keith started with vacillation and he picked up on his fingers, scratching the skin around it. A nervous habit, Lance had noticed a long time ago—way back before they became friends who could share such vulnerable things between them. “I … we hooked up a lot when I was living alone in the desert. I was occasionally going to the small town nearby sometimes, you know, for food and supplies. I had to find a job since I was short on money and eventually I was a bartender in a night club. It wasn’t that great, but it paid the bills and I needed internet for all the research I was doing on the Blue Lion and Shiro.”

 He took a deep breath and then shrunk a little into himself so Lance stopped containing himself and finally put his hands onto Keith’s shoulders, hoping to transcend enough comfort. The blood in his veins rushed when the other boy melted under him, as if relieved Lance had touched him.

 “We were coworkers with him. And it was obvious he was living as shitty as me so we often had sex to release some tension. Either because of life or because of work,” Keith said and angled his head to the side. “I had figured it out that if a dressed a bit … provocatively, some people would tip me more. There had been some comments and unwanted assholes making advances, but I never allowed them to take advantage of me or my coworkers there.”

 Lance offered a chuckle. “I bet you scared them off with that scowling of yours.”

 Keith, for his joy, laughed at that, teeth and dimple on display and Lance was glad to see that smile on him more than anything else.

 “Sometimes I beat them up when they went too far.”

 The two of them snickered and Lance tried not to think too hard on the way his palms slid down to Keith’s naked back from all the moving. His skin, it turned out, was even softer than Lance ever imagined.

 “Thing is,” Keith began, “despite everything, I liked wearing crop tops. I liked … no, I still do like my body and I didn’t mind wearing clothes like that. But then the guy I was having sex with confronted me about it. Started calling me … names and at some point even threatened to stop sleeping with me if I kept dressing up more revealingly. After that, I cut him off. I don’t know if he was jealous of how much more money I was getting or some possessive dick who felt entitled to me just because we fucked, but … even after I quit the job, his words stuck with me. So I stopped dressing like the way I wanted to sometimes and I just—”

 His face suddenly flamed in anger.

 “I hate that he took that away from me! I hate that I like this outfit and yet the first thought that came to my mind was how revealing it is and how I shouldn’t go out looking like a--”

 Keith sucked in a breath, lips clamping together and Lance gathered enough courage to stand in front of Keith, blocking his vision to where the mirror was. He cupped the boy’s cheeks, each one gently like they were hurt doves, afraid that he’d be pushed away since he did that unexpectedly without Keith saying yes. He blinked quickly, lashes fluttering like those butterfly wings the Yek’hitians had and two pairs of tears escaped to run down on his smooth skin.

 Lance wiped them away with his thumbs.

 “Ugh, I’m sorry about this,” Keith muttered angrily with a sniffle, but Lance knew it was all frustration at himself. “It just still gets to me even when years have passed.”

 Lance’s brows lock together in annoyance. Not at himself or at Keith, but at that asshole who didn’t know he had found a treasure; a diamond in the rough who had gone through a lot and deserved all the love and care in the world. A long time has passed since he’d felt such anger. And an anger for someone he didn’t even know, no less. It burned him from the inside, flaring his blood like the crackling embers of a fire.

 “Just because a long time has passed doesn’t mean it won’t affect you anymore,” Lance said softly, even when that rage within him was consuming every part of his brain. “Sometimes I still think of all the nasty things Iverson and the bullies told me back in the Garrison. And sometimes they affect me, too, even when I’m now a Paladin, piloting a Lion that’s part of the strongest weapon in the universe.”

 Keith grasped onto Lance’s wrists just for the pure holding. The fuming fire in him went down just from that touch alone.

 “But you know what?”

 The Red Paladin shook his head, eyes focused solely on him. It made Lance shudder.

 “These words don’t define us, Keith,” Lance said in a firm tone, serious with no joke or mirth hidden underneath. “They affect us and make us feel like garbage, and we think about them too much than necessary, but just because they said those things doesn’t make them true. They don’t get to dictate who we are or how we should dress or look. Because you’re your own person Keith, and you’re the only one who controls the wheel. No one else. Not that asshole, not Shiro or that Yek’hitian designer—not me either. Only you.”

 Keith was silent, mouth opening to say something, but Lance kept on, this time with a shy smile, his heart a loud thunder inside of him.

 “And if it helps, I think you look …”

 So beautiful that I can’t even look at you sometimes.

 So enchanting and magical like a supernova and all I ever want in this moment is to kiss you until neither of us can breathe anymore.

 Heavenly like you could disappear at any moment in a cloud of mist and I wouldn’t be surprised, because you’re out of this world; out of this universe.

 Lance swallowed heavily. “Pretty great.”

 He almost winced and groaned at how lame it all came out, but Keith only laughed, his eyes crinkling at the corners and soon there were arms around his neck—the smooth material of Keith’s shirt sliding like warm water around him.

 “Thank you, Lance.”

 Lance responded with reciprocating the hug, his palms settling on Keith’s waist. Keith’s body was surprisingly warm against him and Lance desired to touch him everywhere, wishing to stay in this moment forever, when a small shine on his right prickled his eye. He looked down as he made a curious noise that came from his throat.

 It was … gleaming. A jewelry made of silver diamonds. It was long and a few centimeters wide, like a ribbon band, so Lance’s first thought and guess shot up to this being a choker or some sort of necklace. But when the imagination started working—it proved to be all false since it was too long to be one.

 “Is this the thing you had problem with?” Lance nodded to it and Keith followed his way of sight.

 “Yes,” he grumbled. “I have no idea what it is and where to put it. It’s too lengthy for a necklace or a bracelet. But I’m not keen on wearing it anyways. I’m not a big fan of jewelry.”

 Lance pulled away from Keith’s embrace no matter he wanted to stay in it longer and bent down to pick the mysterious ornament.

 “Shush, mullet, this is a part of your outfit! We have to figure it out!”

  Lance observed it from where it hung off as he held it in front of him, between he and Keith. It was pretty, he supposed, a simple design with the three rows of crystals winking back at him with their light. Lance tried to connect the both ends of it together and it clasped with a small click like two magnets coming together. The Blue Paladin looked at it with narrowed eyes, back at Keith, repeating the same thing a few times. He wondered where something like this would fit on Keith’s body.

 Unlocking it, Lance took a small step closer to Keith, although there was no need since they were already in each other’s spaces. Keith jerked a curious eyebrow and he crossed his arms. A comfortable silence found home, though Lance managed to hear the muffled voices of everyone from the room next door. Lance breath’s hitched a little from how close they stood, the exhaled air moving Keith’s bangs.

 Would Keith mind? If Lance moved his bangs back and kissed his forehead? Would he pull away with an uncomfortable chuckle? Or would he lean in even closer, wanting more of his touch, kissing him on the lips because they’d both knew he was too scared?

 It was too warm now, too intimate. Lance was sure he was too hot to the touch, cheeks burning from all those thoughts and things he wanted to do to Keith.

 Forgetting the trinket in his hand, Lance lifted a dubious hand and pressed with only the tip of his pointer the uncovered silver skin of Keith’s stomach. He was so soft, Lance thought. Tough and gentle, unforgiving, but kind, fire and ice all merged into one. All put into one person whom had managed to steal his heart and put it away where Lance would’ve never find it.

 The image of Layla pierced his mind. Was he a traitor for wanting Keith so desperately when he perhaps had another in the future? Did that make him a horrible person, a horrible father?

 Keith’s touch burned like a dying star as he brought up a hand, trailing it delicately up from his wrist to the inside of his elbow, making it to his shoulder to when then it settled on the side of his neck. Keith gazed up beneath his lashes, shining iolites fixing themselves on him.

 “Oh, Lance,” he whispered and Lance realized he didn’t care.

 He didn’t care if he was a horrible person if he kissed Keith right here, right now.

 Because it’d be worth it. No matter how much he hated himself as he ducked down ready to meet Keith’s mouth—

 The silence was shattered by a high voice.

 “Lance! Keith!”

 Allura’s urgent call was like cold water and Lance leered away from Keith as if he was a torch with Greek fire that Lance shouldn’t have touched, shouldn’t have played with.

 “In here!” Lance answered, his voice wrecked and husky like he had been screaming for hours.

 The velvet curtain was pulled to the side, revealing Allura, breathing hard, dressed back into her normal clothes though her turquoise eyes were dark with worry and fear.

 Lance’s heart almost stopped beating. The princess rarely looked like that.

 “Pidge just called,” she said. “There has been a sudden change in the matter.”

 “What does that mean?” Keith demanded and Lance heard the rustling of clothes, indicating that the Red Paladin started changing himself.

 “The schedule for the time storm has changed,” she said. “We have to get Layla on Dokhyna if she wants to catch it!”

 With that, Lance ran back to his own changing room, grabbing Layla’s backpack and clothes in a hurry. “How much time do we have?”

 He heard a violent huff behind him.

 “We have forty doboshes.”

 

 

* * *

 

 

Despite the visible confusion on what was going on, Menysa insisted they all take her best flyers.

 According to Allura, Hunk, Pidge and Shiro would all wait for them four on the runway where their Lions landed yesterday. Lance was sweating, knees week and trembling as he took a hold of Layla when Peonika grabbed them and flew in the air like her life was dependent on it, which he appreciated a lot and made a mental reminder to himself to thank her when it all ended. Adrial, of course, was the one who grabbed Keith, but Lance didn’t pay it any mind for he had way more troublesome worries on his mind. Layla was too silent, even for her, and he made sure to plant a kiss on her every now and then, a silent reminder that everything was going to be okay. She gave no indications that she understood, but he didn’t care.

 All the Paladins hoarded their Lions, including Allura and Coran with the Castle. And as they left the Yek’hitian atmosphere—something tugged at Lance’s chest. He had liked it a lot here. He strapped Layla to her seat, her expression neutral and her eyes empty whenever Lance turned to look back as he piloted Blue to their final destination.

 Dokhyna was the same as they had left it, unsurprisingly.

 Same tall buildings, same empty streets and same creepy feeling of ghosts watching them from every corner.

 “We have fifteen minutes until the time storm,” Pidge announced as they arrived on the same place they’d found Layla at. A dumpster in the corner of a small narrow street, surrounded by dirty walls, posters and graffiti of symbols and drawings. “It’s your turn, kiddo.”

 They all turned expectedly at Layla whom looked paler than normal, her blue eyes void while she was shaking her head like she’d heard something she couldn’t believe was true. Her fingers were sweaty, but when Lance squatted down he noticed they were wet instead, all from the tears she had wiped. They were blue pools of water and something in her broke when she met Lance’s gaze. She broke down crying hysterically and buried her small face in his neck, her breath not capable of taking air properly. Lance felt his own eyes swelling with stinging tears, but he held them down for Layla’s sake.

 “It’s okay, it’s okay,” he kept mumbling in her thick hair, hoping she was hearing him.

 “I don’t wanna go, Papa,” she choked out, her arms tightening around his neck as if she was afraid to let go. “Papa, please don’t send me away, please, I don’t wanna go back …

 “You have to, princesa,” Lance said and kissed the side of her head. God, she had never been like this. In all these days, he’d never seen her crying at all and now all of a sudden this happened and he didn’t know what to do, how to fix this without breaking her and his heart even more. “Don’t you miss me in the future? I’m sure I do. I bet future Papa is worried sick about you and is waiting for his brave daughter to come back home.”

 That only made her cry harder than before which caused Lance to panic.

 At the end he just decided to let her cry it all out, no matter that their time was barely hanging on by a thread.

 Five minutes passed, with only ten remaining and if only Lance could do something. He felt so useless and powerless—he simply stood there caressing her, ignoring all the worried eyes his teammates threw at him.

 “Oh, Ancients,” Allura said and Lance heard her own tears in the way she said that.

 Lance heard footsteps sounding from behind him and unexpectedly, another hand joined his from where he kept stroking Layla’s curls. He immediately recognized the owner.

 Layla turned to the side, red brimmed eyes, crimson face—her short lashes sticking together along with the salty tears on her cheeks. There was some snot running from her nose and that should’ve been a bit disgusting, but all he felt was his soul crushing under the weight. He thought they had one more day too, but turned out that time didn’t wait for you at all.

 “Hey,” Keith said. Lance’s arms were emptied of Layla when she threw herself into Keith’s embrace instead. For a split minute, he believed Keith would’ve been awkward, shy and hesitant, but there was none of that as the boy hugged her to his chest. Layla wailed, each cry was a sharp knife plugging into Lance’s chest. Keith said nothing, although anyone managed to see the tears he sported too.

 The three of them stayed there, tears falling and wetting the dirty Dokhynian ground. Lance didn’t know for how long, he simply lost a track of time.

 It was Shiro who spoke up in the dead silence, long after Layla stopped her weeping and just stayed close to Keith’s body whose iron grip refused to let her go.

 “We have four minutes. C’mon, it’s time.”

 Layla refused to move.

 “Layla … please … we just want you to go home.”

 The girl then sighed, wiped away her tears and stepped away from Keith who looked like a piece of him was thorn away by force. Lance knew. He felt the same.

 Layla made her away to her backpack, pulling out the tablet—the Time Travel Prototype (TTP) as she had called it the same day she informed the team about the time storms. Her movements were sluggish and uncoordinated, but she managed to turn it on and press some required buttons. The screen lit up in a vibrant blue and a female computer voice spoke up, but not in a language he’d recognized. Layla didn’t seem fazed and muttered a response. Allura and Coran gasped.

 “That’s … that was Altean you just spoke, didn’t you?”

 A nod from Layla.

 Some sort of timer appeared on the screen and a loading rectangle.

 3:12

 They had a little time to say goodbye so Lance and Keith let the others to do it.

 First it was Shiro who lifted her easily into his arms. He squeezed her like she was a plush toy and murmured something into her ear to which she replied with a nod, a sad smile appearing on her face. Then it was Allura who was also crying, kissing her cheeks and telling her something in Altean which no one understood except for the Alteans and Layla. The moment she stepped into Hunk—Lance’s best friend sobbed even louder than the girl did, speaking too fast for anyone to understand, but the message was clearly there. Pidge patted her head, obviously awkward with the interaction, yet her auburn eyes were sad and glossy when Layla smiled at her.

 Lance threw another look at the timer.

 1:02

 One minute.

 One minute and then she’d be gone and Lance would have to wait who knows how long until he had to see her again.

 He drew her small body into one last hug. “Te extrañaré mucho. Nunca olvides lo mucho que te amo.”

 I’ll miss you so much.
Never forget how much I love you.

 He kissed her chubby cheek and she nodded. Then Layla moved onto Keith and they just hugged. No words whispered or given kisses. Just a pure hug—it was always more than words for these two, Lance realized.

 0:34

 Layla hunched her backpack and threw one last, wistful look at all the Paladins. She tightened her hold on the TTP and marched to the dumpster, but not getting into it at all.

 Beep, beep, beep was all Lance heard in this painful silence. The time ticking by too slowly and too fast, Lance’s heart daring to crush his ribcage from its all brutal beating. Keith’s hand slipped into his, their fingers weaving together and Lance knew that no matter what, at least he had the Red Paladin by his side, to catch each other when the other fell. And now when they both were—they both held to one another.

 They all braced themselves.

 The beeping ceased.

 Layla took two deep long breaths and pressed the two handles on each side of the TTP into itself.

 Only for nothing to happen.

 The handles went back up.

 Lance stopped thinking, the air in his lungs stuck inside him.

 “No,” Layla whispered in disbelief. “No, no, no, no, no—what is happening?! Papa! Aunty Pidge?!”

 Pidge rushed to her, looking over the TTP. Even from the distance, Lance saw that her hands were shaking terribly. “I—I—I d–don’t know! I checked all the vitals and the systems! Everything should be working perfectly!”

 Pidge’s voice cracked in panic and when she was about to press the handles again when a sudden tornado of light; a hurricane of dust and stars started swirling in front of them. Pidge’s reflexes surged into motion and the Green Paladin took a strong hold of Layla’s small body, jerking her backwards, away from the strange thing.

 Layla resisted, fighting against Pidge’s force, but soon was back into Lance’s embrace and he held her in security no matter how loud she screamed for Lance to let her go. Pidge stumbled from all the running, but Keith thankfully caught her and soon they were helplessly staring at the tornado that was getting smaller and smaller—until there was nothing left.

 Except for the person laying on the ground.

 They all gasped and this time Layla managed to strangle away from Lance, taking advantage of his shock.

 The person groaned and sat up, their back facing team Voltron.

 They were dressed in a black robe of some heavy material, a hood over their face which hid any feature that their newcomer had.

 Layla stepped in. “Um … hello? Who are you? Do I know you?”

 The person froze at the words, froze at full stillness and then …

 Then they began laughing.

 But then—something stranger happened. Layla’s shoulders loosened from all the tension and she sighed in some crossover between happiness, relief and irritation.

 Lance’s brain stopped working at this exact moment.

 “LAYLA CELIA KROLIA MCCLAIN! YOU ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!”

 The voice of that person was young, but before Lance could analyze more, they turned around.

 There was a mask, covering their mouth and nose, but Layla didn’t seem to have no trouble on recognizing that person for she stepped forwards.

 “Why are you wearing my ninja assassin mask!?” Then she groaned at the sky and kicked some stone nearby which wasn’t as impressive as she probably thought it was. “I told you not to touch it!”

 “Shut up! I found it under Kosmo’s bed! Nice hiding by the way, Sherlock.”

 “UGH, YOU SHUT UP!”

 “Um—if I could just ask …” Allura finally dared to interrupt. “Layla, who is that?”

 Layla muttered something along the lines of ‘here we go …”

 “WHAT? YOU DIDN’T TELL THEM ABOUT ME? ATTENTION SEEKING BRAT!”

 “IN CASE YOU DIDN’T NOTICE, THIS IS TIME TRAVELLING! I’M NOT SUPPOSED TO SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FUTURE!”

 “OH, NICE EXCUSE, LALZ! AND WHOSE FAULT IS THAT IT CAME TO FUCKING TIME TRAVELLING!”

 Everyone gasped, except for … Layla. More than anything she looked smug and she smirked at the mysterious person.

 “I’m telling Dad you used a bad word,” she said too sweetly and sugary, a big fake smile plastered on her face.

 “Damn it.”

 “Woop! And another one!”

 “Oh, you little greml—”

 Pidge suddenly interrupted, obviously fed up with all he bullshit. “Can we please know what’s going on? Who the hell is that?”

 Not even Shiro dared to correct her on the swearing, everyone frozen on their places, mouth agape in shock.

 “Everyone,” Layla let out a tired sigh and just like that first time she came here, she brought her intense blue stare and stared them all down—just in the time for the person to take of their hood and their mask.

 There were gasps once again. Lance felt like he’d faint any moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Meet my older brother ... Ezra McClain.”

Notes:

;;;;;;;;;;)))))))))

(translation on lance and layla's convo :
• Papá, el arco está demasiado apretado. No puedo respirar. — Dad, the bow is too tight. I can't breathe.
• ¿Por qué no dijiste nada? — Why didn't you say anything?
• ¡Porque estoy avergonzada! — Because, I'm embarrassed!)

* this chapter is to all the people who thought keith would come back in the past ;;;;))) surprise!! u were fooled 😈

* i have been waiting for this exact moment for so long, i'm so happy to finally have it out! this story was always intended for 2 klance kids so heheheh ;;)). altho, some of you did catch that layla perhaps had another sibling.

* i hope i whip out the next chapter much faster than this one! and please do tell me all your thoughts on this chapter, your theories and such — you all know i'm always happy to hear everything you have to say!

UNTIL NEXT TIME, MY ANGELS! 💫💕🌙
p.s. someone should stop me whenever i write in lance's pov. i wax too much poetry ab keith and it's getting out of hand JSJSJ 😭

Chapter 7: the indigo glow

Summary:

Keith wanted to look away—that burning ache that was igniting his throat growing larger the longer he gazed at them. At Lance whom he loved with his whole being with the two of his amazing children that he’d meet one day in the future. Kids who were obviously born from so much love and kindness.

This was a family that he would never be a part of no matter how he desperately wanted to.

Notes:

hi there!! a huge thank you and a huge sorry to all the people who waited so patiently for this chapter after that cliffhanger❣️ please forgive me and i hope u love this chapter as much as I'm hoping you will love ezra! this is more of an introduction chapter for his character (as this was originally going to be longer), since i decided it'd be too much!

it is currently 4 am when i finished and posted this, so i am sorry for potential mistakes! i will probably fix them when i have the time and the energy! ❤️

enjoy! ✨🌼

 

here is my klance spotify playlist, if you want to give it a listen!💜(i have super basic taste, pls be prepared)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter seven

the indigo glow

 

Keith was no stranger to heartbreak.

 All he knew his whole life was just pure heartbreak over and over again, it seemed. All he heard like a constant buzz in the back of his head—was always the sound of his heart breaking in two, in three, in so many pieces that there was a constant fear that one day perhaps there would be nothing left for that place in his chest to be filled. He managed, to still stand up and be proud of how he was still here, no matter the hardships he faced, and Keith hardly could give credit to himself for that part when it was always his brother who never stopped believing in him and his potential. Adam did, too, but Shiro stood by his side with his kind smile and reassuring hugs even when all Keith wanted as an angry child was to push him away and make Shiro hate him. It would’ve been easier, Keith sometimes thought. But nothing was ever easy to him, especially the relationships and the bonds he had struggled to make and maintain throughout his whole life.

 Lance never seemed to have any problems with that, however. All those walls made of stone and thorns, weaved around his heart, trying to protect him.

 Sadly, they never disappeared, no matter how desperately he wanted to. And they never clashed down to the ground, crushed into dust just because Lance’s blue eyes always got through him and seemed to see what was truly beneath everything false Keith had been trying to make the world believe about him. No. Lance, with his gentle hands and smiles, moved away every prickling vine and climbed over to the side, so he could simply see what was awaiting for him on the other end . . . and then he had stayed.

 That was always the most important thing to Keith at the end of the day—for someone to finally stay when they had seen almost everything. All the good and all the ugly.

 Every fight, no matter how small or serious, it never pushed Lance away even now, when Keith had stripped himself so many times, naked for the other boy to see all of his scars, all of his tears; his fears.

 And some foolish part of him … that part he’d tried too hard to push away. That part that he’d pounded his fists into. That part of him that Keith indulged into selfishly every night, when everything was dark and no one could see his eyes glistening with love when he imagined that one day he’d be enough for Lance to want more. To seek and desire Keith the same way Keith desired him. Purple fantasies that were empty of reality, but still so special to him.

 But what an idiot he truly was, to hope that in the dressing room back on Yek’hitia, Lance looked at him with love; looked at him like he wanted to kiss him. Touching him so lightly as if the feather of a bird caressed his skin, but leaving a strong trail of fire anyways with Keith burning like a flame, hot enough to make the waters in Lance’s gaze evaporate.

 What a fool for sure, as Keith looked with wide eyes at the another reminder of his unrequited love.

 Ezra McClain.

 At first, Keith’s brain couldn’t process nor even properly catch up the moment the young boy in front of them revealed the face he had been hiding under the big hood.

 He was dressed in a flowing black robe with a beige tunic and tight black pants enveloping his very long legs. There were weapons strapped on his belt, some familiar and some not, but with Lance as a parent—Keith didn’t doubt the boy in front of them knew how to use them. He had a confidence stance, that same cocky pose Lance used all the time. His arms were crossed in front of his chest and Keith noticed his own TTP in his right that was in a white color unlike Layla’s black one.

 He gulped down his dizziness and Keith finally dared to look up at his face, too afraid of what would meet him there.

 The first thing Keith noticed was his hair. It was that same raven black color like Layla’s, messy, curling slightly at the ends. It was cut short, parted fancily on the side, but all of the hair was so much that all of the tresses were sticking up in every possible direction. Keith couldn’t tell if it was that type of messy that was on purpose or if the boy was so stressed that he had weaved his hands through it many times. Nevertheless, it all seemed to frame his pretty face, scarily identical to Layla in some ways, but not at the same time.

 Ezra’s skin was the same shade as his sister and father, a warm light brown and as he walked closer to the team, Keith in no time noticed the fair amount of freckles that were spilled across the bridge of his nose, continuing their path to his cheeks. He had a noticeable mole under his right eye and said eyes possessed the same slender shape that Lance certainly did not have, save for Layla. The black thick eyebrows were nicely trimmed, but there was a tiny scar splitting the right one from the top that ran only to the middle. Keith wondered about what could’ve been the story behind it.

 Everyone was still stuck, frozen, not believing what was happening in front of them. But Keith understood them perfectly, he himself feeling baffled and blinked owlishly as Layla ran up to her brother after their initial small fight-greet and threw herself into his awaiting arms. Ezra sunk his knees into the ground, pressing her body into his chest and his lips formed words that he’d mumbled to his sister. Keith couldn’t see Layla’s face, but her head was nodding up and down frantically like she was agreeing to whatever he was saying.

 Meanwhile Keith decided to check on his right. Lance looked like he was out of his body, eyes unclear and misty. Keith, with his stomach in a knot, touched Lance’s shoulder slowly, carefully as not to spook him. But the Blue Paladin didn’t react in no way beneath his touch which hurt Keith more than he would’ve liked to admit. Yet he couldn’t blame Lance for feeling so unattached from reality when his own kids from the future were right in front of him, still embracing tightly on the dirty ground.

 “What the hell just happened?” Pidge suddenly spoke up, breaking the tension like one would pop a balloon with a needle. With that everyone seemed to shake themselves into their right state, including Lance who jerked his head, looking as if he was previously under some kind of trance.

 Ezra’s head snapped upwards and he glanced with a certain look at all of them. At first he seemed thoroughly confused like he couldn’t recognize anyone, but then his face shone with recognition. Which was quickly replaced by horror and in front of everyone, Ezra dramatically slapped a gloved hand on his forehead. Then he groaned towards the sky.

 “Lalz, you really couldn’t have picked up an even earlier timeline, could you?”

 Layla just shrugged in answer, glued like a silent koala around Ezra’s torso. But then she leaned up and whispered something to his ear, her small hand barricading her mouth on the side.

 Probably securing that no one tried to read her lips, Keith thought. The older boy listened with a serious face, eyes flickering left and right, nodding from time to time. But then, whatever Layla had said to him caused his mouth to stretch into a blinding grin that was so Lance, a literal duplicate to all the times Lance had flashed this same grin to all the pretty aliens who were willing to return his flirting attempts.

 Keith felt his breath hitch.

 And then Ezra laughed.

 “It’s not funny,” Layla snapped and smacked him lightly on the shoulder. “Do you know how weird it is?”

 “I mean, it is kind of funny,” he said with a chuckle, his white teeth on display, a striking image of Lance to the point where it was unreal. It was unbelievable to Keith how for so long he thought Layla took after mostly her father when before them stood his son that could pass off as Lance’s identical twin. In fact, the longer Keith thought about it, except for her blue eyes, brown skin and curly hair—Layla didn’t bare that much of a physical resemblance with the Blue Paladin. Must be her other parent, Keith thought with a fair amount of bitterness.

 “If I could just but in,” Allura as the graceful diplomat intervened with a gentle, but hard tone. Keith still didn’t know how she managed to master that. “Would you maybe want to move into the Castle of Lions and perhaps discuss this whole situation? I have a feeling there’s a lot to talk about.”

 Ezra only stared at her gobsmacked, eyes wide, and not knowing why, Keith somehow expected a flirty remark or some stupid pick up line, but then only a long whistle rushed past those lips.

 “Holy sh— I mean wow, uncle Coran wasn’t kidding when he said Alteans age really slowly!” He exclaimed and Keith saw the way Allura stepped a small step back in surprise. “Aunt Allura looks like she hasn’t grown old at all!”

 “I know right?! That’s the same thing I thought when I came here!” Layla exclaimed with a smile. Keith was a bit taken back from all the intense reactions and words she was using. Ever since team Voltron had found her on Dokhyna—she was always so reserved, quiet and shy, barely speaking a word to them all. And now, the moment her brother came into the picture, she changed as if into someone completely different. He asked himself if Lance had also noticed this subtle change as he threw another look at the Blue Paladin.

 “Wait a second,” Ezra said and Keith’s attention snapped back on the boy who stood up, still holding on to Layla. The boy looked very troubled by whatever thought occurred to him. “Does that mean … Mella will outlive me?!”

 Everyone slightly jumped at the mention of this new name, of this new person who probably had a home within their team just like Ezra and Layla surely did, too.

 The question, however, was who was this Mella person? An Altean? A new Paladin or a friendly ally that they’ve made a relationship with in the future that was close to Lance’s children? Every new slip up about the future was piquing Keith’s interest each time. So many questions were growing up inside his brain and all he wanted to do was collapse in his bed and sleep for forever, preferably forgetting in his dreams that he would never be with Lance. And maybe he would relive today’s events on repeat, when Lance seemed ready to kiss him and touched him as if he wanted Keith.

 He tried to suppress a depressive, long sigh. A dream that would apparently never become true.

 “Who is Mel—” a confused Hunk began to ask, raising a tentative hand up in the air resembling an anxious student, still in class back at the Garrison, but he was interrupted before he could finish his question.

 “No one!” Layla yelled and slapped a small hand over Ezra’s mouth who looked playfully offended by it. Keith was once again stunned by the sheer amount of energy in Layla’s voice and he could feel that so was everyone else. “I mean …” Feeling all the surprised stares and raised brows heavying on her—Layla deflated sheepishly. “This idiot here is supposed to know that information about the future is supposed to be secret!”

 Ezra gave a light grumble and removed his sister’s hand away from him. A roll of eyes followed and Keith felt slightly annoyed that he was too far to see the color in them. “Jeez, fine. Not my fault I didn’t know you barely said anything to them.”

 “Ezra!” Layla protested, brows locking up. “You remember what Ryner said! If slight changes in the past happen—”

 “Yeah, yeah,” the boy sighed, flapping a wrist around and finally dropped his angry sibling on the ground. “Whatever, you know I don’t spend as much time with the nerds like you.”

 Layla looked positively offended by that and she showed it through her kicking at Ezra’s shin lightly whom didn’t even react, obviously used to that reaction a lot. But Keith could see, no matter how much the two of them tried to hide it, that they gravitated towards one another. And the looks Ezra threw down at her were filled with just as much amusement as worry and relief altogether. Was Lance in the future out of his mind? Now that not one, but two of his children were gone? Would he even go back to fetch them? What about their other parent?

 Would they come? And would Keith be able to be in the same room with them if this happened?

 “Anyways,” Ezra sighed and awkwardly scratched his head, eyes flickering to where Keith and Lance stood. His mouth quirked on the side, almost looking like he tried to contain a smile, but then he puffed up his chest and strode towards the team. And each step made Keith’s heart beat faster than before, settling into a nervous rhythm. Layla followed him like an excited puppy and Keith stifled a smile, caused by their dynamic.

 Ezra put on a big killer smile, the same Lance also wore whenever he was ready to charm aliens on diplomatic meetings. “So, uh, nice to meet you! My name’s Ezra and uh …” He trailed off, uncomfortable from all the eyes that were set on him, but that didn’t seem to alter his confidence much. “Okay, this is so weird! I am literally taller than my own father!”

 The boy flung his arms around and that finally broke the string, made of pure tension, that was too tight between them all. It was Hunk who let out a surprised booming laugh, followed by Pidge who cackled, always ready to make fun of anyone’s suspense. Coran and Allura laughed too, and Shiro tried to hide his own grin as he ducked his head to the side.  Keith himself felt his lips forming a grin, but was still so hesitant, still afraid if Lance was about to pass out on them from all the shock.

 Ezra’s eyes suddenly found his. They lit up with something that he wasn’t familiar with and Keith wasn’t sure what his proper reaction should be. The other boy smiled at him, white teeth flashing. A smile, just like Layla’s from one week ago during lunchtime when she’d asked for the chair so she could sit next to him. Keith didn’t think of it too hard when it happened, but now when her brother wore the same look …

 His eyes abruptly flickered lower and that left him confused. Until he followed Ezra’s line of sight and noticed he still had his right arm on top of Lance’s left shoulder in that comforting grip he offered minutes ago. Keith hadn’t even realized he was still touching Lance so with burning cheeks, his heart in his throat, the red paladin moved away quickly as if he made touch with a living electrical wire.

 Ezra’s grin, when Keith unconsciously looked back at him, became even wider. Like he was in for a joke that Keith wasn’t a part of; a joke he didn’t understand.

 With that—the boy began shaking hands with everyone, introducing himself properly even though they all knew that in the future he was a part of their big family. Hunk, Shiro, Allura and Coran even dared to pull him into a hug which didn’t surprise him in any way. Ezra surely inherited his father’s charming personality that you couldn’t not like no matter what.

 “Okay, you all really haven’t changed at all,” he said when he stood in front of Pidge, who seemed interested and entertained by of his presence. “Aunt Pidge is still the same height.”

 That pulled yet another wave of laughter—this time from all of them.

 Pidge only sighed, pushing the glasses higher up on her nose. Then she rolled her eyes, but there was absolutely no annoyance radiating from the Green Paladin judging by the side smile she gave. “Not going to lie, I was having some doubts for a second about Layla, but with you, I have no suspicions that you’re Lance’s son after this comment.”

 Ezra blew a surprised laugh at that, surprised by what Pidge had just said. “Pfft What?! This monster right here? Not being Pop’s little dramatic girl?” He pointed a finger at Lance and then at his little sister, chuckling again. “She once cried because we ran out of cherry popsicles! Full out wailing only so she could make Uncle Kashi feel guilty to buy her more! And once I pushed her out of the couch, because she didn’t get to have the remote, she acted like her arm broke! I had to apologize and get a scolding while she snickered behind Papá’s back the whole time! Not to mention how her closet is bigger than my room.”

 “Yeah, okay, that sounds like Lance,” Pidge concluded with a smirk.

 “Wha—Hey!” Lance yelled and Keith was inwardly pleased that he finally entered the real world, listening and engaging with all of them. Some of the choking anxiety slipped away from Keith, now that everything seemed to get back to normal. As normal as it could be with yet another person connected to Lance, arriving from the future.  

 “Oh, shut up,” Layla said and rolled her eyes. “As if you don’t take one hour in the bathroom! And then one more to style your hair!”

 Ezra simply shrugged his shoulders at that. Touché, he seemed to say. “That’s because I have to check every product in case you’ve put glue in my face cream … again.” Then, like a light bulb shining suddenly at the top of his head, the boy sprung up and looked around them all until a stern gaze fell on Keith. Ezra carefully made his way to where Keith was standing. He tried to fight the strong urge to step away, when the younger sopped before Keith and spoke in a serious voice. “Just so you know, if one day you wake up with blonde hair—that definitely wasn’t me.”

 “WHAT?” That seemed to have been very funny for Shiro to hear and for the first time, his older brother went into a laughing fit. Everyone joined immediately on the second, but Keith tuned it all out. All sounds felt muffled in his ears like he had pushed himself underwater.

 Keith tried to fight back, to swallow the painful lump in his throat that was forcing tears to come out of his eyes. His heart twisted like a rope—a complicated sailing knot.

 Maybe some part of him, a really, really stupid part had a small grain of faith that perhaps he and Lance were together in the future. Maybe Layla was their daughter and they were happily married. Maybe Lance really did like him, possibly fell in love along the way just like Keith did. They had a child and raised her together, because Keith would finally have a true family of his own that he’d made just by himself.

 But everything turned into dust, ash and debris when Ezra turned to the sounds of happiness and mirth, unaware of the sound of his heart breaking.

 Because his eyes weren’t blue like Lance’s and Layla’s. Dark pacific ocean and sapphire diamonds. Nor they were the warm coffee brown, the sweet chocolate of Lance’s relatives.

 And Ezra’s eyes certainly weren’t Keith’s. They weren’t the strange mixture of dark grey, indigo and violet that was thanks to his Galran genes.

 No, Ezra McClain had the spring in his eyes. A pool of forest green for the flowers and the grass, hills and trees’ crowns connecting with the warm, dark brown that was like the mud for all the flora to rest on. Keith felt a strange spark of familiarity as the boy looked at him, but that was a simple illusion on his end. His eyes were simply aesthetically pleasingly beautiful, but that was no news for Keith since Lance and Layla were his relatives.

 Keith selfishly wished that those hazel eyes didn’t suit him as much as they did. Because that represented his unrequited love; it represented that Keith never got to have what he’s always desired so much.

 Ezra’s hazel eyes represented heartbreak.

 But he was no stranger when it came to those.

 

 

* * *

 

 

“Your hair has gotten dry.”

 Layla grumbled an incoherent sound in response from where she was sitting on the ground, between Ezra’s legs where the boy was sitting on one of the chairs. The team found themselves on the main deck, all awaiting for a solid explanation on why not only Layla, but her brother, too, decided to time travel. For Ezra—it was obvious. It was clear he had followed his sister in here, had hopped on the time storm that Layla was supposed to get on. Keith had no idea how Ezra managed to even calculate in which timeline the girl ended up at. Or maybe it was all just pure, sheer luck.

 Because the longer Keith kept thinking, banging his head for a reason, he still couldn’t understand why Layla travelled back in time. She never bothered to explain herself and frankly no one dared to ask, all of them knowing that she’d ignore the question completely and hide for the rest of the day.

 It was all so bizarre, so weird that for a moment, Keith wished for the familiarity of a daily Galra attack. It was strange, how they haven’t bumped into them ever since they found Layla. Keith didn’t know if he should be grateful or suspicious and uneasy because of their absence.

 Keith looked up from where he leaned on the controls, standing next to his brother. Being next to Shiro never stopped being a steady comfort no matter how old he was getting. In fact, the more he grew up—the more he grew dependent on Shiro and the incredibly strong and unbreakable bond they’ve formed with each other. And Keith became dependent not only on Shiro, but on Voltron in general. Red and his teammates were all the family he’d always wished to find; the found family he’d wished for desperately in all those lonely nights where he fought for space on the bed with all the other orphans. Staring at the ceiling, wishing to whoever was willing to listen.

 It was only his fault for being so selfish when it came to Lance.

 Speaking of the Blue Paladin, whom was nowhere to be seen and immediately disappeared down the hall the moment they all stepped into the Castle. Ezra demanded for a quick shower, claiming he was dirty and stinky and after some time, he was now lounging on Lance’s chair, dressed in a white bathrobe, caressing carefully Layla’s hair. He was assessing all the curly tresses, frowning at the ends from where he held them up in front of his eyes. Then he sighed and gathered her hair behind her back and started braiding with practiced motions, hands familiar with the steps to making what seemed like—a very nice, neat braid.

 Layla didn’t seem surprised, busy staring at her brother’s TTP, eyes analyzing whatever she was reading from the screen, which proved that Ezra was probably doing her hair very often, maybe even regularly.

 She suddenly grimaced when it seemed Ezra’s hand got stuck in her curls. “Ouch.”

 “Lalz, did you even dry your hair properly?” Ezra asked, clicking his tongue disapprovingly—a copy of her grimace on his face, his mole and freckles standing out. “This has become a bird’s nest.”

 Layla glowered at nothing ahead, looking up from the time travel machine. “Well sorry if I didn’t bring a hair diffuser with me when I went time travelling, Ezra.” Her voice was dripping with sarcasm and with addition of her deadpan face, Keith let out a small snort under his nose. Shiro next to him chuckled, the both of them entranced by the McClain siblings and their bantering.

 Ezra only shook his head exasperatedly, looking up as if he was praying for salvation, though the fond grin gave his true feelings away.

 “This is unbelievable,” Shiro muttered quietly, followed by a humoristic huff. Keith looked up on time to see the Black Paladin crossing his arms and cock his head to the side. His eyes were stuck at Ezra and Layla like he was looking for something important, a tiny amused smile stretching his lips. Keith made a questioning sound with his throat, causing Shiro to turn to the side so he could look at him—expression somehow mocking.

 Keith furrowed his brows at the playful fire flaring in his brother’s dark grey gaze. “What?”

 His brother smirked in answer.

 “You mean you don’t see it?” Shiro teased, stretching the words like an annoying middle schooler asking for Keith’s crush during recess.

 Keith, if possible, glared harder.

 “See what?

 Was Shiro trying to annoy him about his feelings for Lance? He knew Shiro wasn’t that cruel to do that, but after today’s evens that thankfully were coming to an end, Keith felt the whole universe was against him. Was Shiro implying that Ezra and Layla were shark bait for everything he wanted?

 I could’ve been a father just like Lance; a father beside Lance, taking care of our children, together, a betraying whisper sounded in his mind. Maybe Keith never even had that chance in the future.

 Shiro let out a scoff. “It’s funny how you’re one of the smartest people I know and yet so oblivious when it comes to simple observation skills.”

 “What is that supposed to m—”

 Keith got cut off in the middle of his question when the entrance doors hissed loudly as they opened. Allura and Coran, who were talking with Pidge somewhere in the corner turned to the source, along with Shiro and Keith—to see Hunk and Lance, both carrying something in their arms. Hunk was wearing his usual wide smile and Lance beside him looked very much in thought, with dark eyes and worry lines marring his pretty face. Keith wanted more than anything to march over and comfort him, just like the Blue Paladin did in the dressing room, but the situation was quite tense and Keith didn’t really want the attention on him in this moment.

 With confident steps, unlike Lance, Hunk stepped around the chair Ezra was sitting on, only to stand in front of him. He outstretched his hands forward, presenting a plate with  a few, very colorful sandwiches cut in the shapes of triangles on top of it.

 The boy looked up with wide eyes from where he was doing Layla’s braid. For a while he seemed confused—but the moment he glanced down at what the Yellow Paladin was offering, a wide smile appeared, matching Hunk’s.

 “Hah, that’s amazing! Thank you, uncle Hunk!”

 “You must be very hungry!” Hunk exclaimed. “When we found Layla she literally devoured three plates of those space noodles which, fair, since she was alone for one month.”

 As Ezra was taking the plate during Hunk’s blabbering—his smile suddenly froze, fell and morphed into a face that quickly went through so many emotions all at once that Keith couldn’t decipher them properly. But the main message was clear. Ezra had no idea that his little sister had been wandering for so long on Dokhyna, a planet with no population, food or water. No warm bed or clean clothes.

 Not until Voltron found her anyways.

 “What?” He croaked out, eyes haunted while his hands slightly trembled and Keith knew it wasn’t from the plate’s weight. Keith’s chest tightened as Layla looked away guiltily. “I mean … I heard Dr. Naarya talking about differences between our timeline and the one you went back to, but one month is … stars, Lalz.”

 The boy swallowed and carded a hand through his messy black hair. He still held the plate with food, but it seemed eating was least of his worries right now.

 Lance had his brows furrowed and Keith finally recognized what was the bundle in his teammate’s hands. Clothes.

 Layla turned to face her brother and loose curls that Ezra hadn’t taken care of fell down on her shoulders. “I—I was fine. I suspected that something might happen so I prepared before I stole the TTP.” Her voice was soft and comforting, working as a soothing balm judging by how Ezra’s tensed muscles loosened, his face—a painting of sadness and pity. She tilted her head on one side and Keith wished he could see her face better. Layla was definitely not the best talker, but Keith learned in that short time that expressions and body language, those she could hardly hide or mask away.

 In a way, it reminded Keith of himself.

 Your eyes, Lance had slurred one drunken night on the observation deck after a long, tiresome battle. They couldn’t save all the prisoners and the haunted eyes of the those who survived left him feeling like shattered glass. The tears that swelled in those black, numb pits when Allura announced the dead of their relatives, friends and comrades in battle that perished—those onyx stones were all imprinted behind Keith’s lids that day whenever he shut his own.

 “My deepest condolences—I am deeply sorry for your loss. They couldn’t make it,” Allura whispered to them all.

 Lies, is what Keith was thinking instead, wishing he was able to yell. His posture stiff and tight like the string of a bow, waiting for that final snap to break him. We weren’t fast enough. Voltron could’ve done better. We are no heroes today. Curse us, glower at us, hate us.

 Keith barely ate his dinner and no one was surprised when he was the first to stand up and leave the room, heading to the observation deck where he could be alone with his thoughts. Where the darkness could swallow him whole even when the shimmering of the stars glowed unfairly back at him. Lance found him soon, swaying slightly on his feet, smelling of alcohol. Keith had made a move to go away, but Lance stopped him in his tracks—offering a bold claim that Keith didn’t want to be alone.

 And it was true.

 How’d you know? Keith asked after they stayed silent for a very long time with both of them just passing the bottle back and forth. Until he himself felt the warmth of the nunvil settling deep into his core, buzzing through his veins and making his head feel lighter like someone had lifted all the dark thoughts from his brain.

 You think you’re sleek, Mister Mullet, Lance said, tipping his head back to rest it on the back of the couch whilst closing his eyes. But did you know you fiddle with your gloves or your fingers when you’re nervous? Or how your nose twitches like a rabbit’s whenever you find something unsettling or disgusting? How about that twitch you do with your mouth when you want to laugh at something, but can’t or won’t. And you cross your arms whenever you’re uncomfortable as if you’re seeking comfort from yourself.

 There was another heavy pause, Keith trying his best to keep his breathing in check, his pulse stuttering in his chest from the genuine sincerity in Lance’s voice. The Blue Paladin was never fully honest, always hiding the truth about his feelings and his thoughts behind cocky grins, teasing words and playful looks. But the alcohol was working against him and Lance’s filter seemed absolutely non-existent at that moment.

 But your eyes, Lance sighed. Sighed dreamily like he was admiring a beautiful painting hanged on a wall. A sigh coming out of someone who’d just had the best dream and the memories were still lingering.

 Your eyes … always give you away, Keith.  Your eyes tell everything I need to know.

 It was embarrassing to admit how often that memory invaded his mind, uninvited. Turning all of those nights into sleepless.

 “Wait …” Layla perked up, sounding surprised and everyone strained their ears for whatever she said next. “You spoke to Dr. Naarya? What’d she say?”

 It was undoubtedly entertaining how the siblings didn’t pay anyone mind, talking like they were the only ones in the room about unknown topics and people to the paladins no less. It was irritating, too.

 Ezra grimaced, his scarred eyebrow twitching. “I didn’t really speak to her. More like eavesdropped the Science Council meeting while I already stole the TTP. I needed more information about where you were, how you ended up here and their plans on how to proceed.”

 “What did you find out?” Layla asked and Keith noticed Pidge inching closer to the McClain siblings, writing something down on her tablet. Allura and Coran followed no sooner and Keith decided it was time for Ezra to finally reveal all of the information about the future and its state. He and Shiro stomped forwards and sat on the small stairs nearby so they could have perfect vision on the brother and the sister. Ezra, oblivious to all of them who gathered around him as if some crazy followers to a holy figure, finally started munching on Hunk’s sandwiches, letting out pleased noises from the taste.

 Ezra gave a shrug, cheeks puffed while he chewed, resembling a chipmunk. “What do you want to know?”

 “You came here on a time storm, right?” Pidge asked, faster than a lightning, looking like she had been waiting to interrogate the boy ever since he arrived on Dokhyna.

 Ezra swallowed down and confirmed with a curt nod. “It’s the only known way for time travelling for now, yes.”

 Pidge hummed. “And how long did you exactly wait for it? Layla here had to stay for one week if we go by those cubes she provided me with.”

 “That’s exactly what I’m talking about,” Ezra said, taking another bite from his sandwich. He waited a few seconds and started again. “Layla was here with you for one month. Well for my timeline, only one day passed. Papá and me received the signal that you went missing around three AM. We were panicking in whole day, but we had to wait until the evening since we had to wait for all the members of the Council to arrive. It was an emergency.”

 Keith gave Layla a look, gauging her response. She looked slightly disturbed by that, her face scrunched up in that cute way with her brows forming a very specific shape on her forehead. It was probably due to the fact how many people from not only Earth, but around the universe came to Lance’s aid when it came to his daughter. Of course, Keith knew that some of them were perhaps troubled because of a ten year old being the first to time travel, but if Voltron still stayed popular (maybe gain even more adoration with the years) even after they ended the war—then Layla and Ezra were the equivalent of celebrity kids.

 You didn’t have to be a genius to see that Layla McClain wasn’t the biggest fan of attention.

 “But, by that logic that time is different or changes in all timelines—aren’t the time storms occurring at different periods, too?” Allura joined in with a question which earned her Ezra clicking his tongue in refusal, along with Layla shaking her head.

 “It doesn’t work like that,” he said.

 “The time storms are the same everywhere no matter what,” Layla added helpfully to her brother’s statement. It was strangely funny and adorable. How one minute they would argue, tease and banter and the next they completed each other’s statements, looking comfortable around each other just like he and Shiro did, except they couldn’t compete with the amount of years. “If a time storm is going to happen, it doesn’t matter in which timeline you are. Whether you’ll wait two years or two days for a specific date—it’ll still happen on this same day eventually.”

 “And what was the exact reason for your trip to here?” Shiro intervened with a curious scowl, waving his prosthetic arm around.

 Pidge nodded to herself as if this was the next question she was going to ask while still typing rather quickly on her laptop. Keith didn’t even see her pulling it out and replacing the tablet Allura gave her a few months ago as a birthday present.

 Ezra’s face hardened like a stone and for the first time, there was no humor hiding in his hazel eyes. Only pure seriousness. “I did it to save Layla’s life.”

 There was no person in the room that didn’t react to this sentence.

 Allura, Hunk and Coran all gasped, Pidge’s head snapped up from the laptop’s screen—her light brown eyes alight with fear. Shiro’s jaw, Keith saw with the corner of his eye, twitched like he was under pressure and Lance’s eyes widened with his hands tightening around the clothes, brows locked up together in an upset frown. Keith didn’t react in an obvious way, but nevertheless he still felt his heart shriveling in panic at the thought of something happening to the little girl whose mouth was currently open in shock.

 “W—what?” Layla stuttered.

 “The tech you—the tech we used,” Ezra corrected and continued elaborating, “is incredibly unstable as it hasn’t been finished yet. I heard one of them saying that if you used the time storm I just got on you …”

 He didn’t finish the sentence, but the implication was clear as a day.

 You would’ve died, was left unsaid.

 His voice cracked on the last word and Keith was sure that it wasn’t a trick of the light that his eyes seemed glossy, tears threatening to spill. Lance took a step forward and Keith was surprised that the Blue Paladin didn’t look unsure and afraid of his son’s presence no more as he stood next to his own chair. He put a gentle hand on Ezra’s shoulder and the boy leaned and relaxed into the touch all at once. Layla simply squeezed her brother’s hand in comfort.

 Keith wanted to look away—that burning ache that was igniting his throat growing larger the longer he gazed at them. At Lance whom he loved with his whole being with the two of his amazing children that he’d meet one day in the future. Kids who were obviously born from so much love and kindness.

 This was a family that he would never be a part of no matter how he desperately wanted to.

 Keith stared and stared, until a pair of blue and hazel eyes pinned him to the ground with a surprising amount of intensity, causing him to look down at his shoes.

 “Wait,” Hunk spoke up. “Doesn’t that mean that you travelling in time was also dangerous for you too?”

 Ezra shrugged, a small grin subtly sneaking on his lips. “I was willing to take the risk if it meant saving this little nerd.”

 The sadness of the atmosphere was once again banished by Ezra and replaced by laughter and Layla’s protesting yell. But Keith didn’t laugh. Instead he observed the boy. A boy who risked his life and didn’t care about the consequences so he could save his sister and keep her away from the dangers. And even behind that façade he was putting on, the Red Paladin still noticed that his heart wasn’t completely in it. There was still some fear and distress that Ezra was trying to hide in front of them all.

 The apple didn’t fall far from the tree, for sure.

 A beeping sound interrupted them and Keith whirled around at the big castle screen. The Altean letters were unfamiliar to him, but he’d seen this too many times. Someone was requesting a call.

 Allura went ahead of Coran, quick light steps as she marched to the controls. Her hand hovered over one of the buttons and she looked behind her shoulder, eyes questioning.

 “It’s from Yek’hitia,” she said.

 “Oh yes!” Coran chirped, raising an enthusiastic finger. “We forgot about the wedding! All of us did kind of leave abruptly. It was a bit inconsiderate of our side, if I’m being honest.”

 “You’re right, Coran,” Allura sighed and massaged her forehead with her right hand. “But how are we going to explain Ezra being here? We can’t just have another person coming from the future! They will eat us alive!”

 “I can just stay here?” Ezra offered, raising his eyebrow.

 Layla immediately protested by latching onto her brother’s leg. “No! From now on, Ezra isn’t going anywhere without us. And if that Yek’hitian man tries to be rude to him I will put glue in his shampoo.”

 “What’s up with you and your glue obsession!” Ezra exploded with a laugh.

 “Just accept the call, Allura,” Lance said calmly, watching down on his kids fondly. Keith couldn’t help, but think how it was out of character for Lance to be so quiet and not making jokes. “And we were having a great time on that planet! Most of them were really nice and kind towards us.”

 “True,” Hunk added. “They even made us customized attires for the wedding! And had dope rooms for us. The least we can do is congratulate them and offer some bit of an explanation, right?”

 Allura nodded with a smile. “Right. You’re right, Hunk. Well, I shall answer now then.” The princess inched a hand forward, but stopped herself with a grimace, something quickly flashing in her eyes. “Lance and Pidge, please do refrain of making inappropriate noises in the background like that last time when the Prenya’s ambassador called.”

 The Blue and Green paladins both snickered at the memory whilst Keith rolled his eyes, trying not to laugh to when he remembered the embarrassed face of the alien as Pidge and Lance started moaning and yelling like some idiots behind the screen where they couldn’t have been seen.

 Allura pressed the blue button and in a second, Menysa’s familiar face filled the screen.

 “Oh! Princess Allura!” Menysa exclaimed, looking genuinely surprised that they’ve answered. “And paladins of Voltron! Is everything alright with you? You left so suddenly and my advisor questioned that perhaps the Galra might have attacked you? Must we send our best reinforcements as an aid?”

 Allura was quick to shake her head in dismissal, hands raising up. “Ah, no! There’s no need for that. We had a little … problem that had to be taken care for.”

 There was confusion that sparked in Menysa’s gaze before her eyes settled on the only person whom she didn’t know among their group. She looked conflicted, her small mouth twitching like there were no appropriate words that could be used as a reaction to yet another person, unknown for them and the public.

 She opened her mouth and after some heavy seconds passed, Menysa spoke, “Who is that … if I may ask?”

 “Well,” Allura began warily and Keith’s eyes darted to her fingers rubbing altogether, a nervous habit that Keith picked up on for as long as they were here. Her skirts made a hissing sound as she turned her back on the screen—the turquoise in her eyes uncertain.

 Keith fidgeted beneath the crushing silence that fell over them like a veil.

 “I—”

 “You certainly may ask, ma’am!”

 Ezra’s voice broke in like a bright sun between gray clouds and Keith suppressed a grimace from the sheer enthusiasm in his tone. Allura didn’t even bother to hide her wince, but when Keith risked a glance up at Menysa, she didn’t look hostile not one bit. There was a small, confused wrinkle on her forehead where her eyebrows would’ve furrowed if she had any. And for her presumably old age, she looked more like a puzzled child with her big eyes and small pout no less.

 The boy gently pushed Layla out of the way and in a freaking bathrobe, stood up  and sauntered to the screen, once again flashing his twenty four karat smile.

 “My name’s Ezra and it’s a pleasure to meet you!”

 Keith was afraid of the air moving too quickly at this point.

 Menysa’s face cleared a little into a cautious expression, but she still didn’t respond with the same amount of eagerness she received.

 “I must say that your markings truly capture the story of the braveness of your mother,” Ezra said with no confidence missing, catching every single person in the room off guard, excluding Layla whom shook her head and rolled her eyes. Even Menysa looked like Ezra just spoke in a completely different language. Keith figured out that there probably weren’t many Yek’hitians who managed to surprise the Head Chancellor very often.

 Menysa stuttered quietly. “Y—you speak the native tongue? Only my oldest daughter and a few elders know it.”

 Ezra shrugged his shoulders, ducking his head shyly like knowing a dead alien language wasn’t impressive. “Not that well. The grammar is a bit closer to Galran which makes it easier to translate the verbs and the nouns.”

 “You speak Galran too?” Menysa asked, now truly interested, a big grin splitting her face in two—the marks stretching across her face. Keith didn’t even realize that it was their language on the Yek’hitian’s faces, but it made a lot of sense. Those swirling lines, dots and graceful drawings must’ve meant something than just nonsense for the purpose of an aesthetic.

 It made Keith wonder for a second if there was a story behind Adrial’s markings, too.

 “Uh, I guess I do. Although I probably don’t sound very noble since I grew up playing with a lot of Galran kids on the streets who liked to swear a lot,” he said which made Layla and Menysa snicker loudly from Lance’s seat which was now occupied by her. Keith, sadly, couldn’t decipher the Blue Paladin’s face from the distance that was between them. “My Altean is a lot better.”

 Menysa nodded improvingly, black bottomless eyes sparkling from the other side of the connection. “This is quite impressive, young man. I’m sure that you have a very bright future in front of you.”

 Ezra inched his head gratefully, thanking her and Keith couldn’t help but think how perfect his posture was, the bow neither too high or too low. Like he’d done that millions of times to the point where it was second nature for him to charm aliens and distract them with sweet talks and boyish smiles.

 Just like Lance, but … not quite. There was something about Ezra McClain that was scarily identical and scarily different at the same time.

 A walking, living, breathing Deja-Vu.

 “As you probably guessed,” Menysa said. “The first quintant of the wedding was missed by all of you although we wish you not to feel any guilt over such thing.”

 “Thank you for the understanding,” Allura sighed, everyone watching at the way her shoulders sagged with relief. For all there was, sometimes Keith thought that Allura would rather fight a whole battle ship full of Galra than to offend someone on a diplomatic meeting and ruin all the chances in them joining the Rebel Coalition. “We had hoped we didn’t upset you in any way. You were so hospitable to us all with all these beautiful rooms, clothes and the walk in Zalia—it’s such a shame we missed such an important event for all of you.”

 Menysa laughed, the sound light and carefree, but cracking slightly from the connection.

 “No need to fret, princess. Your visit was gift enough.”

 Allura smiled and chuckled at the Head Chancellor.

 “But … ” Menysa said, inviting gleam lighting her whole face.  “If you want to stop by for the second quintant of Edeara’s wedding, in case there Voltron is able to come, Yek’hitia is definitely waiting for you with open arms.”

 

 

* * *

 

 

They had decided to go after all.

 Keith was no surprised at the decision when all of them voted yes for attending the wedding for real this time. He himself wanted to go, already missing the air that smelled of flowers and the warmth of his room and the big bed they’d given him. He still remembered the softness of those big pillows and the sheets that slid nicely against his very sensitive skin. He’d always been like this though, so he was sure that was something that had to do with his Galra side. It was certainly hard for him to switch from sleeping on heavenly clouds, tasting the sweet bliss of a perfect night and then go back to grumbling for a millionth time tonight as he tried to make himself comfortable on the hard couch at the observation deck.

 He had tried to sleep in his own room after dinner, but his running thoughts were too loud than the silence so Keith had decided to go on his usual route to his and Lance’s place whenever one of them couldn’t sleep. Not that he expected the Blue Paladin to show up after what happened today.

 It was strange and hard to believe. Strange at how Keith experienced so many different emotions in only one day—hard to believe that it was just only one day. When he lived in the desert, he had to fight against the numbness and the indifference that was crawling into him and now …

 From his emotional talk with Lance in his room where they’d watched the sunrise together with laced hands, to the conversation with Adrial about the Blade, passing onto that kiss that almost happened in that dressing room. Or perhaps it was all an illusion that Keith was too desperate to believe it’s true.

 And now Ezra, Lance’s oldest kid was here. Layla also had to stay for who knows how long.

 A small, sad sigh rushed past his lips.

 Keith didn’t know how he’d survive.

 

 

 He didn’t realize he’d fallen into a light nap until a voice jerked him awake.

 The couch Keith was lounging was facing away from the vast window, the Altean TV black and empty showing off the outlines of his figure in the reflection. The back of the couch thankfully hid him away from whoever entered the room. He didn’t want another lecture from someone else about his non-sleeping tendencies.

 “Heh, I knew I’d find you here.”

 For a brief half a second, Keith’s heart stopped from fear that he was seen by Ezra until a small voice responded to the boy, “I couldn’t sleep.”

 Layla.

 His heartbeat was muffled in his ears from its hard pounding, but Keith still turned so he could hear better, trying not to make a sound. The darkness was a welcoming tool, except for the white light that came from the stars as an only source.

 There were some sounds he couldn’t identify, some rustling and then the boy let out a groan accompanied with the squeak of the fluffy couch that Keith knew was there.

 Layla let out a tiny laugh. “This sounded like uncle Kashi when he sits down on the dinner table.”

 “Ugh, my back,” Ezra imitated a very poor impression of his brother, that nevertheless caused Keith to smile behind his fist.

 Layla laughed again, but then the siblings decided to stay quiet, the Castles’ engines humming lightly in the background.

 “I can’t believe you brought it with you. Pops will kill you when he finds out,” Ezra whispered loud enough for Keith to hear and flame his interest in what the boy was talking about. What was it? And why would Lance kill Layla because of it?

 Layla sniffled. “You know why,” she replied. “This is the only thing that— … Ezra, I have to know. So far it’s good, but I never really know what’s happening. I wish it could talk sometimes, you know?”

 “Yeah,” Ezra responded just as sad. The pain they obviously shared for something tragic made Keith inch closer to the edge of the couch. He desperately wanted to see. Keith wasn’t typically one for spying and eavesdropping people’s private conversations, but this was not a situation he could escape from unless he wanted to reveal himself. Which it wasn’t happening at all. “I know.”

 “Hey,” the girl spoke up, sounding small and afraid; an ugly reminder of how close Keith was to letting her go when she cried in his arms that were too reluctant on letting go.

 “Mm?”

 “I missed you,” Layla said.

 Keith slid even closer to the couch’s armrest, eyes blinking the blackness away.

 “I missed you, too, nerd. And Papá does too. He was worried sick when we found out. I just acted too impulsively,” Ezra said, his voice reassuring and soft. Keith smiled at the tone. It brought memories of Shiro and his caring tone whenever he had done the next stupidest thing back at the Garrison.

 “I miss him, too,” Layla returned and this time, she sounded sleepier, voice slurring and blending the words. “Now he’ll be alone, Ezra. We left him alone and now he’ll hate us, because he’ll be lonely and cry a lot, it’s our fault, Ezra—”

 “Shh …”

 Closer and closer until Keith’s fingers grasped the armrest finally. He pushed himself on all fours, praying that Ezra and Layla had their backs on him so they didn’t see him intruding. He just wanted a little peek, nothing more.

 “It’s going to be okay, Lalz.”

 Going slower was a heavy task for Keith who had been used to speed his whole life, but with furrowed brows, he concentrated on being patient until—

 He looked on his left, unruly hair brushing his cheek.

 There, on one of the loveseats was Ezra sitting in a big red T-shirt that Keith knew it belonged to Lance companied with grey sweatpants. Between his legs was Layla with her eyes shut, face peaceful and away in the dreamland with her small head resting on one of his hands that encircled her protectively as if the boy was ready to go down and drop dead before letting anything to happen to her.

 And between Layla was the thing they were talking about. Keith was sure of it, because there was a small indigo glow coming up from beneath that illuminated her young face. He strained his head upwards, curiosity eating him up like a shark taking a huge bite, but Ezra seemed to sense the motion for he jerked his head to the direction of where the couch was. The Red Paladin masterly ducked away, thanking his black hair and black attire for masking him too well. His heart was a constant thunder and Keith put a hand over his mouth to prevent the sound from his heavy breathing to escape.

 The light was so familiar, a part of him said. But from where?

 He wracked his brain for an answer, looking for it like he was in a maze full of questions that were way too many for him to escape. He was ready to check again when suddenly Ezra began to hum a song. A melody; a familiar one, but he couldn’t concentrate at all when the symphonic humming travelled to him—and like an invisible hand closed his eyelids down. Keith’s body settled and for once, it didn’t mind the uncomfortable hardness if it meant he’d listen to the boy’s lilting singing.

 “Everything will be okay.” Ezra finished and he finally hugged his conscious goodbye.

 

 

 

When Keith woke up, there was a soft blanket thrown over his body and a pillow under his head.

Notes:

:) 💜

• soooo, once again a big sorry for this really long delay! :(( i know how frustrating it is when u want an author to post a chapter and u wait for so long, but yeah, as I've said before i am a senior in HS and my final exams are pretty soon so i feel like you guys would understand if the next chapter will take some time, yeah? 💘 i promise that i am continuing this!!

• sUrPrIsE SURPRISE, who would've thought it was layla who mostly got her looks from keith 🧐 but no seriously!! ezra was planned ever since the beginning to look the most like lance so sorry to the people who thought ezra will be a keith copy 😭

• i am so SO happy from last chapter's response and u guys don't know how much ur comments motivate me so please do tell me ur favorite moments, thoughts, theories or headcanons about everything regarding this story! 💗 (questions too if u have any, i always respond!!) i love u all so so much and I'm hoping you're loving this journey as much i am🌷

p.s. i finally put 15 as a chapter count, HOWEVER, this could change at ANY time so I'm just saying that as a general piece of information!

 

I LOVE YOU ALL, SEE YOU NEXT TIME, BEAUTIFUL ANGELS! ✨🌙❤️

Chapter 8: tristeza

Summary:

Lance huffed and rolled his eyes at her antics, a smile nevertheless blooming on his face to match hers. He felt Hunk shaking with laughter on his other side.

And yet … he couldn’t help, but think that Layla especially looked familiar ever since they found her. He ignored the feeling and his instinctive sense every time, but what if Pidge was right? What if he really married and loved someone that he already knew? Ezra’s hazel eyes didn’t ring any bells and he couldn’t remember having a relative with hazel eyes, but maybe that someone that he was looking for had black hair and hazel eyes? Perhaps he even fell in love with an alien and the human genetics dominated? Lance almost groaned in frustration at every possibility and theory that could be the actual truth. He wished that Pidge didn’t mess his head even more with all these assumptions on his future.

Notes:

LET ME JUST SAY, BEFORE YOU GUYS COME AT ME TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ME FOR NOT POSTING FOR SO LONG — I'M REALLY FUCKING SORRY? 🥺 look, i know that i took so long but I did tell you my beautiful angels, that i have my exams which are really REALLY importaint for my future! so the whole month of may i was busy with studying, and prom planning and basically i didn't have ANY time to write!

BUT!! THE GOOD NEWS ARE : I DID AMAZINGLY ON MY EXAMS! 💞✨ hopefully i can get into good unis with those grades and i just said that so you all could be proud of me and not hate me for not posting! i also bought myself a new laptop so EEEK for that too! 🥰 ily babies!!

this chapter i wrote in like,, a week?? and idk if it's good and originally it was gonna be longer but i felt so bad for y'all and how long i was taking so i was said to myself "fuck it" and now there you go! ✨ i hope u like it and prepare for some angst as always :')) this time is a rollercoaster xoxo

enjoy! 💘

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter eight

tristeza

 

 

Lance startled, body jumping for what it felt like a millionth time tonight as yet another explosion filled up the screen on his mini tablet.

 In reality, he shouldn’t have put an Altean action movie before he went to sleep. If the movies back on Earth were bad when it came to this genre, then those Alteans were even worse. Every scene barely had any characters interacting—and if they did—most chances were that it would end up in a fight, guns blazing and bombs falling out of the sky. For a very peaceful, diplomatic race, they sure loved to destroy a lot of shit in their films. And do it in the most brutal, gruesome and bloody ways. Even Pidge couldn’t handle the amount of violence on one movie night where they gathered together on the couch.

 But Lance didn’t have many options whatsoever, and the silence in his room was too unsettling for him, and the thoughts in his head were too loud and too fast for him to catch onto at least one of them. The decision to watch a movie only so he can distract himself from his heavy brain wasn’t an unknown concept to Lance. And it usually worked, but it was obvious that tonight nothing would pull him away from his own head.

 With a sigh, he turned off the device and threw it somewhere at the end of his bed. There was no point to even pretend that he’d been paying any sort of attention.

 His eyes slid shut and images from the day attacked him one by one, flashing like film strips behind his lids.

 Keith glowing like a star under the Yek’hitian sunrise.

 Waking Layla up so she can have breakfast in bed with them both together.

 The tour across the city and its beautiful sights, inviting Lance in and the even more beautiful natives, flying around with their butterfly wings. Some even sparkled, but after some observation it turned out to just be a fashion trend among them.

 The clothing boutique and the … dressing room.

 Lance’s breath tripped on itself as he reminisced the memory.

 Fuck, he had almost kissed Keith like the idiot he was. A lovesick, selfish idiot who had no care for the consequences of his actions as always. And the fact that the Red Paladin didn’t look against it either was almost too heartbreaking as it was perfect. Because if there was a slight chance that Keith might feel the same towards him, then Lance was truly in deep shit.

 Because if he chose Keith—then that would mean he chose someone over his own children and Lance would never live with himself if that happened.

 Children.

 Because Layla, as he incorrectly assumed, wasn’t his only child.

 Then the image of his son attacked him and Lance opened his eyes to stare up at the ceiling, despair clutching his heart. And it wasn’t despair because of the reveal that he had another kid. No, Ezra seemed like the sweetest boy ever and Lance loved him from the very first moment he saw him and realized he was Layla’s brother. No, it was despair, because now he had his two children—that were supposed to be in the future where they belonged—here with him and one of them was a goddamn teenager just like him. Ezra never specified his age, but there was no need to, since it was painfully obvious.

 He looked so much like him and Lance was once again reminded that Layla didn’t. Layla was the other piece of the future, the one that would tell him about whom he possibly married or at least had kids together with. Although it didn’t sound like him to have little ones before marrying to the love of his life. Those were, at least, his dreams and the things he had hoped to obtain in the future.

 Lance grumbled in displeasure from the small headache that was present ever since Ezra arrived and was about to turn off the lights, perhaps even call it a night and try to sleep, when there was a hesitant knock on his door.

 He furrowed his brows.

 “Yes?” Lance called out, wary of whoever must’ve been on the other side at such a late time.

 There was a second of silence.

 “Uh, hey buddy! It’s me … uhh … with Pidge.”

 The Blue Paladin sighed at that, but he felt his lips forming into a smile as he got up from his bed, only to open the door for Hunk and Pidge who seemed sheepish under his gaze and were dressed up in their respective paladin pajamas. Each of them was holding their pillows which earned them a skeptical look from Lance.

 “And what is this supposed to be?”

 Pidge raised her own brows in response, looking like she was ready to facepalm at Lance’s question. She was dressed in an oversized green shirt that reached her knees and long pajama bottoms with weird shapes as imprints. Her glasses were gone and her hair was now long enough to be styled into two tiny pigtails. “Isn’t it obvious, Gonzo? It’s sleepover time—now move.”

 With that she passed by his side and entered straight into his room. Lance’s eyes followed her as Pidge plopped onto his bed after she dropped her pillow, snuggling under the blankets. Hunk didn’t wait another moment to stand outside and got in as well leaving Lance to close the door after them. “Gonzo? Did you seriously compare me to a Muppet?”

 Pidge only shrugged at that, making grabby hands at Lance’s tablet which he had previously thrown away. Hunk climbed into the bed as well and grabbed the device for her. Lance watched his best friends in amusement, huffing when they left a space in the middle just for him. He wouldn’t have admitted, but he did need the support and love of Hunk and Pidge after this long day full of so many confusing and tiring emotions. Lance was just happy he had people in his life who seemed to sense whenever he needed them the most.

 “C’mon buddy! Get in!” Encouraged Hunk with a pat on the sheets, a wide smile on his face. Lance didn’t know how Hunk managed to stay in the mood and not want to drop dead after everything that happened. “We’ll watch a movie or just talk. Maybe even do face masks if you’re up to it!”

 The idea of chilling in a face mask did sound tempting to Lance, but the amount of exhaustion that was pulling his bones was stronger so he shook his head. “Perhaps another time. I am a bit tired.”

 Hunk nodded in agreement along with Pidge who stretched her body and hands like some cat, yawning loudly which caused a chain reaction.

 “Today really was a long day,” Pidge admitted and scooted further as Lance made his way towards the bed. He tried to fit in the middle which was hard as usual since his bed wasn’t obviously made for three people. But he never had it in himself to mind. He grew up in a house with four siblings and his two nephews so Lance was used to not having enough space in a bed and the overwhelming warmth under the covers. In fact, he welcomed the feeling with open arms. Since Layla—and now Ezra—had arrived, Lance didn’t spend much of his time crying and missing his home and family as he simply didn’t have the time. The week in which his daughter was here was definitely an experience filled with taking care of Layla and watching over her attacks. He didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing, but it kept his buzzing head in place.

 A comfortable silence followed. Hunk moved a little and soon his head fell on Lance’s shoulder. Hunk was an amazing big spoon, but he did love to be held sometimes which Lance provided anytime his best friend wanted. Pidge like always took Lance’s right hand and made herself cuddle onto his side—her small head laying on his chest. A lot of people (and aliens, he guessed) liked to think Pidge was cold-hearted, too honest or too brash. Which wasn’t a complete lie, but Lance would never call her heartless or a cruel girl who only cared about her machines and science.

 In a lot of ways, Pidge reminded him of Keith. Once they let you in their heart—they showed a whole new part of themselves, filled with love and care. Feeling a surge of affection towards the Green Paladin, Lance squeezed her a little closer to him. Pidge must’ve noticed because she let out a hum that vibrated through his body.

 “How are you feeling?” She asked, sleepiness tainted in her tone. “Now that all of your kids are here. Well … at least that’s what we think. I won’t be surprised if you have more in storage in the future. You’re like one of those family guys who want twenty kids or something.”

 Hunk laughed. “That’s true. In fact, I’ll be surprised if Ezra and Layla are the only children you have.”

 Lance let out a snort and looked up at the ceiling for a millionth time tonight. “Yeah, I’ve always wanted a big family, but you do know I possibly have a partner in the future, right? Maybe they wanted a small family or maybe I’m the one who suggested to have only two.”

 His imagination ran wild at the thought of a partner.

 I want Keith to be my partner. His mind whined like a little kid like it was denied a candy. I want Keith.

 “Who knows,” Lance sighed and shrugged lightly. “All this time travel and future theories have been killing me. On one hand I desperately need to know everything that’ll happen. Do we go back to Earth soon? Is this prince Lotor dangerous? Will we always be paladins of Voltron? Has someone from my family died while I was gone? Or …”

 Lance’s throat suddenly felt on fire, a fire that kept him from continuing. He didn’t want to choke up and get tearful in front of his friends, or worry them with his insecurities and fears.

 “Or if we’re all alive in the future,” he managed to choke out. He sniffed as quietly as he could although he knew every sound could be heard right now in this room in which felt like time itself had stopped. “But then on the other hand, I don’t want to know anything.” Lance breathed in. “Because if I hear from Layla or Ezra that something terrible will happen I’m going to be spending all my time here trying to prevent it from occurring.”

 This time the silence wasn’t comfortable since now Lance polluted the friendly atmosphere with his depressing words and sour mood. The silence was heavy and with every second that passed, it felt that Pidge and Hunk simply didn’t have what to say. Or maybe they fell asleep in the midst which would’ve hurt Lance more than he’d like to admit.

 But soon, Pidge was the first one who shifted under his arm and sighed sadly. “I know how you feel. Whenever I look at them I want to ask about Matt and dad. But also, if my mom is alive.”

 “Same. I hope my parents are alive and healthy.” Hunk suddenly joined, whispering. “But you remember how Layla said even the slightest changes can change the future? It means that if you hear something bad happens—you can’t do much, Lance. Who knows? Maybe you will end up making it worse.”

 “I know,” Lance sighed. Hunk never failed at his mission of being the voice of the reason in their little friend group. “I just hope this whole thing is over soon. This war is not a good place for kids who probably grew up in peaceful times.”

 At least, Lance hoped the future was peaceful. Except for an unwanted or unexpected pregnancy, he couldn’t think of a situation in which he’d bring a child into a world that wasn’t safe or free from this bloody war.

 “Hey, Lance,” Pidge spoke up and Lance turned his head to her. “Who do you think is the other parent of Ezra and Layla? Do they look like someone familiar to you? Maybe it’s a classmate from the Garrison or …” Then she gasped and tapped his chest excitedly with her hand, evident excitement in her eyes that stared up at him hopefully. As if she could help him with one of the mysteries that Lance received headaches over. Something in him swelled at her hopeful caramel eyes. “Oh! Oh! Wait I got it! Maybe it’s someone from Cuba? Some friend from your childhood? Maybe your mom set you up with someone and you went along with it—and then bam. You’re in love and have two beautiful kids!”

 Lance huffed and rolled his eyes at her antics, a smile nevertheless blooming on his face to match hers. He felt Hunk shaking with laughter on his other side.

 And yet … he couldn’t help, but think that Layla especially looked familiar ever since they found her. He ignored the feeling and his instinctive sense every time, but what if Pidge was right? What if he really married and loved someone that he already knew? Ezra’s hazel eyes didn’t ring any bells and he couldn’t remember having a relative with hazel eyes, but maybe that someone that he was looking for had black hair and hazel eyes? Perhaps he even fell in love with an alien and the human genetics dominated? Lance almost groaned in frustration at every possibility and theory that could be the actual truth. He wished that Pidge didn’t mess his head even more with all these assumptions on his future.

 Thankfully, the next words that came out of Pidge switched the topic rather quickly.

 “Ey, Hunk! Do you think you and Shay get married in the future? And have kids together?”

 “What?!” Hunk exclaimed and raised his head up to glare at Pidge who started cackling at his expression. Lance couldn’t help, but join. “Don’t bring my future into this! We’re talking about Lance right now, this isn’t fair!”

 “Oh, it’s absolutely fair! You guys are so gross together, it’s unbelievable,” Pidge said and rolled her eyes, but Lance knew it was all theatrics. Everyone on the Castle adored Shay and Hunk together and agreed that if soulmates existed—they’d definitely fit the description. Even Lance, ever the romantic, could barf whenever he’d stumbled on his best friend face-timing his girlfriend-but-not-really. “Next time she calls you should totally ask her to be your girlfriend!”

 “Pidge, shut up!” Hunk spluttered and soon enough, the girl was hit in the face with one of Lance’s pillows mid laughter.

 But Pidge was stubborn and just as violent now so she grabbed the pillow Hunk had thrown and attacked the Yellow Paladin whilst screaming, “Hunk and Shay sitting on a rock! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

 Frankly, Lance didn’t try to stop Hunk from hurling yet another pillow at Pidge. She usually was pretty annoying when it came to crushes, constantly teasing and smirking.

 But suddenly Pidge’s knee came in a pretty harsh contact with his groin and Lance couldn’t help himself as he yelled out in pain as if a Galra had shot him with a blaster.

 “Pidge, I will murder you,” Lance hissed through teeth, the pain shocking every part of his bone. At least she seemed pretty apologetic when she looked down on him—eyes full of regret and sympathy. Perhaps she knew how much it pained whenever you hit a guy there, considering she had a brother who was probably yet another obnoxiously genius and a nerd like her. Lance’s groans, however, were the perfect distraction.

 In a negative time (with Lance internally thanking for all the paladin training that allowed him to pull off moves like these), the Blue Paladin grabbed her body and threw her in the air with Pidge’s high-pitched screams bouncing off the walls of his room.

 “Hunk! Now!” Lance yelled at the moment Pidge’s body thumped on his bed. His best friend seemed to know exactly what to do which was crush Pidge’s shrieking face and smother her with the pillow. Lance didn’t waste any time with his tickle attack and soon enough Pidge was crying screeching, body trashing around and Lance’s ears filled with the beautiful sounds of his best friends laughing.

 And maybe, it was when they finally got tired and fell asleep in a mess of their limbs—Lance with a smile on his face—that he came onto the realization that if he was too stuck on the future, he’d miss all the moments like these that would make it worth it later on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

It was approximately two hours after midnight since this meeting had started and Lance was way too sleep deprived for him to deal with all the annoying aliens that were swarming the council room at the Altean Castle.

 Many of them were standing up, arguing between themselves over stupid things instead of thinking about all the ways they could bring Ezra and Layla back to him. Back to where they belonged. And usually, Lance himself would be in the heat of the argument and maybe if everything in his life wasn’t completely shattering like broken glass, he’d have the energy to punch or threaten the few aliens just for the pure audacity to think that his own children should be punished when they get back just because they used the Time Travel Prototypes. And if Lance wasn’t so fucking exhausted—then he’d fight better for his kids. He knew that right now they needed him the most; they needed Papá Lance to come and save them, think of a solution and make everything better with a smile on his face just as always. It’s what they deserved, because they were everything good in the world to him, but right now … Lance didn’t know if he could give it to them.

 He was so, so tired. Every part of himself felt vacant of life and power even though his hands haven’t stopped shaking for the past three days. And without Keith next to him to light up even the darkest corners of his mind, Lance’s brain was headed into a path that he’d left a long time ago.

 He had tuned out the screaming ever since it erupted and only stared at the same dot for perhaps an hour now. Lance didn’t know, nor he frankly cared. It seemed to be a simple chore to care about other things that weren’t Keith and the kids. He hasn’t gotten a good night’s sleep either, the same horrible nightmares haunting him again and again giving him no rest. Same went for every thought and scary scenario that crossed his mind every single time he zoned out. Visions of Ezra and Layla screaming out for help, crying for him and Keith, but Keith is either dead or gone, with Lance left alone, stuck on the ground, helpless to watch his worst fears display every time he dared to shut his eyes for a second.

 He blinked abruptly as if waking up from a dream when a cold, slender hand made contact with his own fists that were laying on the table before him. At first Lance could only see the thousands of reports and devices until he noticed the unmistakable royal hand that belonged to Allura.

 He tried not to look at the silver wedding ring surrounding his finger.

 Lance looked on his right; to look at her only to see sympathy and millions of apologies written on her face and eyes. “I am sorry, Lance,” she said, her voice clear and gentle even when the yelling somehow turned louder. “I thought this would help, but … I must’ve made a mistake when I asked them all to come here.”

 She finished her apology with a small squeeze that warmed the cold ice that had seeped into the core of his heart. Then she went for a smile, maybe with the thought that it’d comfort him, but it looked wrong on her face; resembling a grimace more than anything. Lance appreciated it regardless and returned the gesture as he fitted his hand to cradle hers. She looked perfect as ever, maybe to the public eye and to those who only knew her from the universal news, videos and pictures. But Lance could see the little signs—like how her small golden tiara had slipped on the side, the red lines in her eyes caused by those sleepless nights, the tiny wrinkles on her dress that she would’ve noticed and fixed by now and the hair that was not as well combed, messy strands falling in her eyes. Allura, and so were everyone that loved or were close to Ezra and Layla, faced the same faith as him.

 But Lance didn’t find any consolation in that. In fact, it made him feel worse.

 You could’ve prevented this, something wicked whispered in his ear. You should’ve seen this coming. You had to stop it before it was too late.

 The mass of voices escalated to its loudest, like a crescendo of a musical piece, but this one was not as enjoyable and made his headache even worse.

 Lance must’ve made a face that Allura noticed immediately and just as she was about to rise over from her chair, a purple hand stroke down loudly on the smooth surface of the table, the noise cutting short any type of sound. The echo of the impact travelled through everyone like a haunting ghost. All the aliens in the room turned heads and blinked owlishly. Some were sheepish that there had to be an intervention, some looked angry at the interruption and others seemed completely confused like they hadn’t even realized the amount of noise they’d been making.

 “Silence. Or I will ask for whoever is incapable of having a respectful conversation with all the other members of the ministry—to simply leave. We don’t tolerate this type of atrocity in our own home,” said Lotor, Prince Consort of Altea, his back straight and hands locked behind his back. The picture perfect of someone who received respect just with a look and never needed to raise his posh voice in order to be heard. “We have asked you all here to help someone who saved you decaphoebs ago; someone who poured his heart and soul into a war that wasn’t his. Someone who was just a child when they put on the paladin armor. All to save you, to save all of us, from my father and mother’s tyranny. So, show some respect to the Blue Paladin of Voltron who needs you now to save his own kids. Save your foolish and inconsequential fights for a time when children don’t need to be saved.”

 Lotor’s voice was like a motionless sea, steady and sure, without any suggestion that he was emotionally affected by this all, save for the emphasis on some of the words. But Lance knew him just as well as Allura. Even Lotor couldn’t hide the slightly clenched jaw or the tightening of his hands.

 “Those same children,” spat one female from the planet Moniri, her three eyes aflame with anger, “are the reason we might have another war.”

 Lance grid his teeth at the accusation, but Allura pressed down on his hand as if she sensed the rage building up inside him. He couldn’t say if she did that to restrict him from lunging across the table or to share with him the same anger that must’ve boiled the blood in Allura’s veins.

 “I completely see your point of view, Admiral Olphyra,” said Lotor with a slight bow of his head like he made a point not to miss the acknowledgment of her power and status in the room. Lance noticed how Olphyra immediately untensed and tilted her head upwards a little. Lotor never disappointed with his skill as a diplomat and talent to emotionally manipulate any crowd. Even with the years, Lance couldn’t master the amount of perfection Lotor practiced on the daily when it came to dealing with all kinds of emissaries. Right now, it was perfectly obvious about which tactic he used, although no one in the room caught it. “But I fail to see how discussing what punishments should await Ezra and Layla McClain is more important than bringing them back home.”

 ‘Make them think they’re better than you. Bow or look down in a sign of submission. Only the ignorant ones are willing to listen if you do this. Otherwise, they’d fight like stubborn and will turn against you. And you don’t want,’ Lotor had shared over dinner years ago while on a banquet with aliens who didn’t want any association with the Blade of Marmora despite the fact planet Gelia-9 desperately needed their help.

 Olphyra didn’t have an answer to Lotor’s words, mouth twitching in frustration, but at the end she sat down in her chair—a few of her supporters across the room following her example. Allura masked a smug cough behind her hand.

 “Perhaps we should ask what progress the Science Council has made in the three quintants since Ezra has left,” Allura then proposed, eyes flitting to the right corner of the table where Pidge, Hunk, Ryner and Naarya sat. Hunk had the unfortunate luck to be the one seated on Olphyra’s left and if Lance had the ability to smile or laugh, he would have when he saw the small, secret glare his best friend threw at her. “Do we have any information that could be helpful?”

 Pidge perked up in her seat, the glasses that were perched on top of her disheveled hair almost falling. Lance almost winced at the size of her eyebags, though he was sure he looked even worse. He hasn’t taken a proper shower ever since Layla left, always running on a meeting after meeting, cancelling classes back at the Garrison, denying the missions the Blade kept offering and scrapped all the diplomatic meetings he had to attend. Lance was just thankful Shiro and Allura understood and tried to help in any way.

 “After all the readings and data checks with the Science Council, it’s safe to say that the situation isn’t as bad as we thought,” Pidge said with Ryner nodding along. A spark of hope travelled through Lance’s body. “See, the thing is, the Time Travel Prototypes we created were just that—prototypes. We didn’t do any experiments yet, but now we have an actual proof that Ezra and Layla did travel in time. Which means that we’ve successfully created the first known Time Travel machine.”

 It should’ve been a happy moment, really. Pidge and the rest of the council have been working on time travelling for years now and this was an accomplished that took so much hard work, blood, sweat and tears. It wasn’t fair that they couldn’t celebrate this all just because Layla and Ezra decided to act like heroes.

 “To which we congratulate you greatly,” added king Lapsis disinterestedly, his tone bored and low. “But it doesn’t change the fact that Admiral Olphyra is right. The McClain children could change something in the past that would result in horrible consequences for us right now.”

 “If you could let me finish—” Pidge began, brows locked in frustration, with the face of someone who was ready to fight, but Hunk interrupted as always before she said something that could result in even more arguments.

 He gently grabbed the sleeve of her lab apron and tugged her down without protesting. “I think what Pidge, er … Miss Holt is trying to say is that after everything that has happened, we know that our machine was successful so we can just do the third one faster and more efficient than the first two.”

 “The only problem we face,” Ryner stepped in, “is the fact the machines Ezra and Layla used are machines that go only one way, meaning, that they can only travel once. Which means our new machine has to be the best and manage to travel to the past and back into this future timeline.”

 “And how exactly long will that take?” Asked angrily one representative of one of the planets that Lance didn’t bother to learn the name of. “The first two took you years! We can’t wait for that long! The universe is at stake!”

 “MY CHILDREN’S LIVES ARE AT STAKE!”

 Lance couldn’t even detect that those words that were just thrown like that, words made of hot and pure rage—came from him. Hot anger poured into him as he stood up quicker than a lightning, the chair behind him toppling backwards with the force. There was some sick satisfaction coating his tongue at the way everyone flinched from the sound of his voice. He had been quiet the whole night, carefully soaking up every petty word and every pretentious glance. But no more. Now he was going to talk; now Lance would be the one yelling.

 The whole room fell deadly silent with Lance’s ragged and heavy breathing as the only sound. Even Hunk looked slightly afraid of the monster that had been unleashed. This ugly monster that was just scared and ruined. Scared that he would never see Keith, Ezra and Layla again. Scared that this was it—all those happy years after the war—they were the only thing he’d ever get before the universe took it all from him.

 “My … my daughter,” Lance choked out, his vision getting blurry and hot from the tears that pooled his eyes, but he never took his gaze away from travelling to each and every alien that was seated around the table. They had to see what this was doing to him, what they were doing to him. “My Layla has the astarsis. And if she doesn’t receive her phoebe treatments on time, or if the pills end up not being enough … she’ll die.” Some sucked in a harsh, shocked breath. Ever since they learned about the disease, Lance and Keith never made a big deal out of it even though they were scared to death when it first happened. But the public was vicious sometimes and they had wanted to protect their girl from that. “And my boy Ezra,” Lance continued, trying not to cry when he remembered his sunshine son who always smiled and loved like he had two hearts instead of one. “He just got accepted into the Altean Healing Academy. He’s always wanted to help the others across the universe and save lives in a way that I could not.”

 Allura grabbed his hand again, squeezing it tenderly and when Lance took a look at her, she had tears streaming down her cheeks, mouth trembling in fear no matter how much she tried to hide it.

 He shut his eyes.

 “Queen Allura asked you to come here today, because you have the resources and the riches to help me and my children,” Lance said. “Please understand, they never did this with any malicious intentions, they just … they just wanted their dad back. Don’t hurt them.”

 At the mention of Keith, he almost broke down. He didn’t know he managed to not fall to the floor and cry in all these days, in this whole past month even, but now he felt his broken heart falling piece by piece on the ground. Lance was baring himself in front of them all, hoping that they’d understand. They’d remember that years ago they had a lot to lose, too. Lance understood the fear and the anger from the situation, after all, they had been under Galran rule far longer than these aliens and their people were free.

 “Me and my teammates, my husband, bled for your planets. We almost died to save you without asking for anything back,” Lance kept pressing on. A lot of them seemed to deflate under the weight of his speech, even Olphyra herself with a faraway look like she transferred herself into all those bloody battles where death and destruction reigned.

 “Your sacrifice will be for nothing, Blue Paladin, if those kids of yours do something they aren’t supposed to do or say,” one gravelly old voice hissed out from the back. Lance jerked his head and found Zatha, the religious leader of planet Yarruta. They were very skilled at nanotechnology and Lance knew from Pidge that most of the building materials for the tech came exactly from there. The people from Yarruta resembled all kinds of snakes which has always freaked out him and Layla. Keith and Ezra always made fun of them whenever he was forced to interact. Zatha resembled a cobra with a huge green hood and a tongue that swirled creepily over every word. “Of course, we shall bring them back, but there should be a severe punishment for when they come home. We have to make sure something like this doesn’t happen ever again.”

 “Those are kids, Elder Zatha,” Dr. Naarya growled, Galra fangs on display for everyone to see. “What has been done is done. You certainly can’t go back in time right now, but at least we can dictate our future. Instead of doing the work that needs to be done, you are here discussing what horrible things to do on two amazing humans.”

 “Humans that can ruin decades of peace,” argued another alien on Lotor’s right side oblivious to the nasty glare the prince sent to them.

 “I say we leave them in the Daibazaal wilderness,” chuckled the male alien seated next to Lance. He had noticed him the moment he entered the hall. It was hard not to since he was pretty tall, with a bulky muscular build that easily towered over Lotor’s, wearing a mischievous grin like one would wear a new expensive garment. Allura had whispered in his ear that it was the prince of some extremely rich planet that, surprisingly, wasn’t ever found by the Galra during the war. Lance had thought it was too suspicious—and a theory that they might have been working with them behind the Rebellion’s back was kept in his mouth. “This might teach them a little lesson, huh?”

 Silence swept over the room. Everything and everyone stilled as if the time itself had stopped to listen and observe.

 It should’ve been a joke. It obviously looked like a joke. But no one laughed.

 And Lance certainly didn’t find it funny.

 Images burst like bulbs exploding right in front of him. And Lance could see it all so clearly; feel it even clearer as if it was yesterday.

 Darkness.

 The wet and cold mud under his feet.

 A blade flashing under the moonlight.

 The childish shrill of pain that pierced the blackness.

 Keith’s screaming that rattled Lance’s bones.

 And just like that—with no logic present in his brain, no reasoning whatsoever—Lance’s left hand wrapped around the prince’s meaty nape and brought his face down to the table with a thundering force that jolted the whole thing. His right hand knew what to do and in negative time, the blue bayard transformed itself into the high-tech pistol.

 Lance confidently pressed the barrel right at the prince’s head.

 “Lance!” Allura yelled and stood up from her chair. Pidge and Hunk did too, but Lance ignored them all.

 The prince tried to resist a little, but Lance pushed even further and the male froze when he felt more prominently the weapon that could blow his brain off if he tried to move. And when Lance made sure the prince knew his place, he riveted his eyes on all the other present aliens.

 “Lance, please think about what—”

 “If one of you,” Lance growled lowly, the hot familiar anger pumping his blood; his whole body on fire, every bone threatening to burst in flames, “dares or even dares to think of laying a hand on one of my kids, I will send your heads one by one back to your home planets for everyone to see.”

 Some aliens looked downright afraid and others had pressed some of the devices and papers into their chests like it would protect them from Lance’s murderous gaze.

 He ignored Allura’s warning call once again as he banged the prince’s face into the smooth surface another time. He groaned in pain and Lance let him go slide off and fall to the ground, leaving a small trail of blue blood coming from his nose. The thud of his body colliding rang across the soundless hall.

 Lance deactivated his bayard and started walking towards the exit, his fists clenching and unclenching, itching for a fight.

 “And for the record,” he said just when his hand pressed over the data pad, “that wasn’t a threat.” The entrance hissed open, but Lance still looked behind him to find all the shocked and fearful expressions. Hunk and Pidge seemed indecisive, like they didn’t know if they should go follow him or stay. Zatha had her eyebrows scrunched up like she’d tasted something sour while Olphyra gaped. Allura’s eyes were big and full of sympathy, in contrast with Lotor who looked smug and almost proud as he was looking at the fallen prince who had pressed his hands into his broken nose.

 Lance stepped outside the room.

 “That was a promise,” he said just as the doors shut.

 But even if they didn’t hear his last words—the silence he left behind him was loud enough.

 

*

 

Lance didn’t know for how long he strolled in the castle, ignoring every curious glance and concerned looks from the staff that knew him. But it didn’t matter at the end anyways, because he ended up in the royal garden as always. It was his favorite place in the whole palace. Everything was bathed in all possible colors Lance could think of with beautiful sculptures standing tall and gracing every corner. He could hear the faint sound of someone humming a gentle song and the water quietly burbling from either the fountains or an Altean gardener irrigating the flowers, the trees and the bushes. Some birds chirped on Lance’s left, but he still kept his eyes closed, breathing in deeply.

 The anger really brought out the worst in him, for sure. And he was sure he’d get a scolding from Allura despite the fact they were no kids anymore. Despite the fact they both had kids of their own, too. Even after all these years, she still mothered all of Voltron just like Shiro with his dad-like attitude.

 The small artificial lake lapped the shore and usually he would bring Layla here for a swim whenever they visited Altea, but now … now Layla was gone and he didn’t know if she was okay, if she was healthy, if his past self at least took great care of her. Although, knowing himself, he didn’t think there would be problem. Maybe even Keith instantly recognized himself in Layla with all the eye rolling, sarcastic tongue and blunt sentences with a hint of sweetness that made you instantly love them. The moment she was born, Lance knew she’d resemble his husband the most. He was sure of it.

 Sure, she might have taken his eyes and his curly hair and at first, quick glance someone would think she took his face. But no. The longer she stood next to Keith—the better you see how Layla is literally him with blue eyes and darker skin. Even the Keith baby pictures Krolia provided their family with were scarily identical to Layla’s when she was a toddler.

 Except for Ezra who had always been a mini-Lance. Even now, in his teenage years, he mostly looks like Lance himself when he was at the same age. And his personality resembled Lance’s too and many liked to joke that Ezra was an actual copy, but that wasn’t true at all. Sure, his son loved to joke around and was good with people, but Ezra was a lot gentler, more careful, more delicate. He felt a lot more than Lance and Keith combined, a sensitivity that was closer to Lance’s mother or Shiro even rather than his parents. An empathy that always made you feel understood and warm.

 He smiled to himself. Ezra would be the perfect for the career he’s chosen.

 Lance sighed and sniffed, gulping down the tears. Don’t cry, don’t cry, don’t cry …

 He wasn’t allowed to cry. Not until they were all together again. Not until everything goes back to what it used to be.

 Not until Keith—

 “Let me go!”

 A faint yell from the distance interrupted his thoughts and Lance met the blue cloudless sky as he opened his eyes. He immediately sat up alarmed and looked to the source. He couldn’t identify it right away since there were too many trees blocking his path and vision, but he could’ve sworn that it sounded a lot of like—

 There was another shout. “I said let me go! Can’t you take orders! Hey, don’t touch me! Put me down!”

 This time Lance didn’t waste any second and ran between all the fruit trees, slapping every leaf, plant and bush away that prevented him from getting to his destination. However, some of the worry that settled in at the beginning withered away at the moment he recognized the young and familiar female voice.

 Finally, Lance arrived at the main pathway that led to the stairway which guided to the entrance of the castle. On his right there was nothing out of the ordinary. The huge and tall gate made of Altean white stone, the city below with all of its buildings, houses and nature like the green hills and snow mountains in the distance. For a second Lance wondered if he must’ve hallucinated everything since it wouldn’t have been the first time. But then …

 “Uncle Lance!” Someone from behind cried out.

 Lance turned around.

 And there she was. The crown princess of Altea, the first and only child of Queen Allura and Prince Lotor.

 Princess Melenor, named after her grandmother. Or Mella, as Ezra nicknamed her when they were little kids which stuck for a short name ever since.

 She was currently struggling with two guards, one of which was enveloping her torso, carrying her away from the entrance and going down the stairs. Mella trashed in his arms like a wild animal, teeth bared and purple marks glowing in pure rage. The Altean that was holding her wisely kept his head the furthest he could manage with the way Mella tried to wring it back and hit him. Her eyes caught his again and even from the distance, Lance noticed the relief that passed though.

 “Uncle Lance! Help me! Aynas won’t let me go and tell me what’s going on!”

 “Hey!” Lance protested. “Come on, she told you off! What’s going on here?”

 Aynas, the guard that was hauling the princess around, looked up just as they dropped Mella off at the bottom of the stairs.

 “Sir McClain,” they both said at the same time, hands pressed over their hearts as they bowed at the waist. Lance grimaced at the title and the greeting, never quite figuring out how to feel about it. Obviously, no one in team Voltron was Altean and they never had rights over titles, land or money, but after the war ended, Allura and Lotor both insisted that the citizen pay their respects with the correct title for an Altean knight. Some even called them Lord which always left a sour taste in his mouth, although it was funny to see how Layla preened under everyone daring to call her Lady McClain. “We were instructed by Prince Lotor to not let the princess into the castle until the meeting is over.”

 “What meeting?” Mella demanded nostrils flaring in anger. She seemed to be fresh out of mission. She was wearing the training uniform for the ones training at the Security School—white suit that resembled the one Allura wore back in the war, except Mella’s had purple undertones instead of pink that matched her violet eyes and lilac Altean marks. Her snow-white hair was done in a simple braid that fell down to her waist, but everything was messy with all the strands sticking out everywhere and her wispy bangs stuck a little to her forehead from all the sweat. “I was supposed to be on a mission for two movements, but …”

 Mella took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, her dark brown cheeks glowing under the harsh sun. Then she looked up at Lance, gaze soft and yet hard as steel all at once. Allura had taught her that look well.

 “Ezra stopped responding to me a few quintants ago and I got worried,” she said and took Lance’s sleeve in desperation and shook his hand lightly. “Where is Ezra? Is he here with you?”

 Mella paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. “I have to tell him something very … um …” Mella looked to the side and Lance could’ve sworn her cheeks flushed with the marks slightly taking a faint glow. Mella was rarely a girl to become flustered or shy and Lance was left confused on what was going on here. She thrusted her head. “Whatever. Just … is he on Altea right now? Or on Earth? Daibazaal?” Something must’ve changed on Lance’s face, because the small shyness was replaced by suspicion. “What? What’s going on? Why—why are you looking at me like that?”

 Mella somehow turned her face to the guard’s direction who disappeared the moment they got the chance as if they could answer her why Lance was so silent; why Ezra wasn’t here.

 The realization was like freezing waters being thrown at his face. Mella didn’t know.

 She didn’t know. She didn’t know about Layla, and she definitely didn’t know about Ezra. Oh stars. Now Lance had to be the one to break her heart and bring the horrendous news to her. Why didn’t Allura tell her? Why didn’t anyone?

 A fresh memory resurfaced on top of his mind.

 “It’s complicated,” Ezra said that one night to Keith a few months ago when they visited Cuba for Christmas. Lance happened to pass by one of the mango trees on their farm. It was enormous and it had been there since he remembered. Occasionally, when he was little, Lance and his siblings would play here and have picnics. Now Keith and Ezra had done the same as they were sitting on some scratchy old blanket. His son had his head in Keith’s lap while his husband was carding his hand gently through Ezra’s strands.

 Keith hummed. “Is it?” He asked softly. “Or do you make it complicated?”

 “It’s always complicated when it comes to Mella anyways,” Ezra sighed tiredly.

 That had been his cue to leave since it was obvious that their son chose to open up to Keith specifically, seeking out his dad’s comfort which was pretty normal. Sometimes it was Lance and sometimes it was both of them—it never bothered Lance. In fact, it made him unbelievably happy to see the most loved his ones together.

 “Will someone tell me—”

 “Mella,” Lance said and perhaps it’s the way he said her voice that made her shut up and look at him. Her eyes were glistening and he could see she tried not to cry. She must’ve sensed that something was wrong ever since Aynas stopped her from entering her own home. Mella’s mouth slightly trembled and something in Lance panged with hurt. He had seen her growing up just as much as his own children and she had always been proud and strong, loving, caring and protective just like a lioness. It was unnerving to see her like this. So Lance decided not to beat around the bush as it wasn’t time for softening such a dire situation and said those ugly words, he had never said out loud, “Ezra’s gone.”

 Mella physically recoiled away from him, brows furrowing like Lance had physically slapped her. Her mouth opened and there was such anger and pain gathering in her eyes; pain that could topple entire buildings. Lance idly wondered if he had the same face when he threatened that stuck up prince. “Wh-what? What do you mean gone? Where did he go?”

 Lance tried to take her hand before she could run away and do something impulsive or stupid that she might regret in the future, but Mella just stepped away and glared at him with teary eyes.

 “Where’s Ezra? Tell me,” she ordered with a hard voice filled with wrath, using her princess tone that he heard her use very rarely, mainly since Mella had always been rather indifferent about her status as a royal. Very unlike her mother who had been born ready to rule her people. Mella preferred travelling and exploring much like Lotor did in his teenage years.

 The lack of answer on Lance’s part made her even angrier. But what he could say? She and Ezra grew up together, they were best friends since childhood. How he would tell her that her best friend is gone without Lance himself falling apart?

 “Mel, look—”

 “Tell me!”

 “He’s just gone!” Lance yelled, his voice cracking like ice under all the pressure. Mella flinched at his outburst, and for a small second, he felt bad about it, but … it just felt so good to let it all out. “Layla used the Time Travel Prototype to go back in time and Ezra followed her three days ago! I don’t know where they are, I don’t know if they’re safe and I don’t know when they’ll come back! A-and … Keith is gone too and I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing! I feel so helpless and alone. And all people in there,” he thrusted a hand towards the castle angrily, “are trying to hurt my children and I don’t know what to do except threaten them, because otherwise I will crumble into nothingness!”

 Lance didn’t realize he was crying until it was too late. Mella stared at him in shock, huge purple eyes swimming in pain and regret. Lance wished he had the power to apologize, tell her it wasn’t her fault he lost it, that it was just a matter of time.

 A bird cheeped somewhere in the distance.

 Mella took one step towards him, then two—her hands hesitantly raised before her.

 Lance could barely see her Mella through his blurry eyes as her face screwed up in misery. And then, with all her might, she lunged towards him with a heart wrenching sob, burying herself in his chest. Lance’s response was automatic and he embraced her while Mella started crying her heart out, warm tears staining his shirt. She fisted some of the fabric in her hand and Lance simply squeezed her closer, some tears escaping him too. He hid his face in her hair, both of them crying out for the people they loved.

 He had never heard Mella cry this much before and it was scary as much as it was painful, every bawl taking him back into those nightmares that kept him up every night.

 They stayed there for a long time. In front of the Altean castle, hugging each other.

 Lance hadn’t realized how much he needed to do this. To comfort and hug someone who could fully understand his pain. He had always thrived under such circumstances, to just be someone’s rock only so he could convince himself that he was fine.

 Soon, Mella’s sobs turned dry and Lance never let go even when it all stopped. Not that she seemed ready to pull away either.

 The Altean sun streamed on them both, the golden light warming him up and that hollow hole in his chest … didn’t feel so bad anymore. He breathed in and kissed Mella’s head crown, a loving gesture he has always done ever since she was a small baby that Allura passed over to him with a shaky smile, trembling hands from happiness and turquoise eyes shining with unconditional love and care. It reminded him of Layla and Lance tried to suck back the tears, his throat feeling like it had a rock settled in there.

 “I’m sorry,” Mella rasped out, but before Lance could protest, she looked up at him. Her eyes were red and puffed, and her cheeks were glistening wet from all the tears. “I’m sorry I yelled at you like this. I know it has been heartbreaking for you ever since uncle Keith disappeared and now this. I should’ve been more considerate.” Then Mella hid herself in his embrace again and muttered, “Forgive me if you can.”

 The words about Keith made Lance’s breath hitch, but he masked it well and caressed her hair in a gentle manner. “I forgive you,” he said softly.

 Mella exhaled in relief. “I just— this was so stupid of him!” She growled. “How could he do this to everyone? And Layla too on top of it all! I swear, when he comes back, I will punch him in the face!”

 And then, there it was.

 So unexpected, but oh, so relieving.

 Lance laughed.

 It came out sounding so wrong, but so right at the same time. His laugh was scratchy like an old record, like his cords have long forgotten how to make this pure sound of joy when none of his most loved were here with him. But he laughed and it was the more consoling than he could ever imagine. It was comforting, he thought. That he could produce a laugh even when he felt like his soul was dying; that even the loudest and horrendous thunderstorm could turn into a delicate drizzle. Drizzle that reminded Lance of those peaceful times at his parent’s house in Cuba, Keith in his arms in the early morning as they watched Ezra and Layla playing in the rain. Smiling because they loved the children; smiling because they loved each other.

 Those memories were the only thing that kept him from completely dropping hope’s fragile hand.

 Mella chuckled with him and that made Lance even happier. He opened his mouth to say share how the meeting went, when urgent steps on the left stopped him.

 They both turned on the side only to see Aynas from before running towards them like his life dependent on it.

 “Hey—”

 “Lord Lance! I was ordered by Queen Allura to bring you back into the meeting hall immediately! There has been very important news that concern your husband, Lord Keith, you see!” Aynas breathed in and out so quickly that Lance had almost missed the words that stumbled out of his mouth.

 His whole world tipped sideways, his heart stuttering like it was ready to stop right here, right now from all the excitement. Mella seemed was ready to support him as Lance stumbled on his unstable legs towards Aynas, feeling like a newborn deer on ice.

 “What is it Aynas?” Lance demanded like a man on his dying breath and grasped the man on the shoulders, shaking him with vigor. “What news?”

 Please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead, please don’t be dead. I don’t know what I’ll do with myself if he’s dead.

 Aynas stayed silent, eyes wide with something Lance couldn’t translate for the life of him.

 “Speak for fuck’s sake!” Lance growled in ire and thrusted the guard back and forth. “What news?”

 Aynas seemed to come to his senses and his eyes cleared up as if a fog was lifted, a curse breaking. And then he smiled with all his teeth like a some Altean goddess graced him with her presence in his dream, which was scary on its own because Lance could’ve sworn in all those years, he never saw Aynas smiling, not even grinning or huffing in humor.

 “Congratulations, Lord McClain,” he said and bowed again, this time more sincere and genuine. This time Lance couldn’t hold his sobs and fell on his knees, Mella following as she immediately engulfed him in her arms—her laugh sounding like holiday bells, sounding like the pure happiness that bled through his body as he heard the next words.

 

 

“They’ve found your husband. He’s coming back home.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

pssst ... sorry for butting in like that on this emotional ending, but here are some pictures from my prom, because i consider you guys my friends and i love you all so much! thank you for being with me throughout these moments! ☺️ and i wanted u to have a proof that i was truly busy LMAO.

 

Notes:

tristeza means sorrow/sadness in spanish, you're welcome :'))

anyways ... this chapter ... whew. (pssst... all the BAMF Lance stans... did u get ur food;)) i honestly am predicting all kinds of reactions so as always, do comment how you feel about everything that is on your mind! 🌺🌷 i love long comments and i love getting your unconditional support, theories and compliments! they get me through all the writing slumps and bad days :)) ❤️ so don't be shy!

one mystery solved -- more 82938292829 incoming! see u next time beautiful angels! ::)))

hopefully this time it'll be sooner! ✨love you!

Chapter 9: 53.5 %

Summary:

“Are you fucking insane?”

Keith ignored Lance’s scream as he walked away from the Marmora Council room. The hallway was silent and thankfully no one was awake at this time of the night otherwise they would all be able to hear the inevitable argument that was about to occur. The doors shut automatically, but Keith was sure Lance would’ve slammed it in rage if he had the chance. The steps of the man catching up to him were swift and angry, but Keith tried to put on his neutral mask before Lance had the chance to see his face.

Notes:

at this point, I'll just stop apologizing for me taking so long with the chapters. just simply murder me next time y'all, i know u guys want me dead from making u wait so long :((

but long story short, i was accepted into an uni in another city and the past weeks were raging with so much shit like places to live, signing in and etc. NOT TO MENTION I FELL INTO AN AWFUL WRITING SLUMP, so yes, please forgive me for the wait :'(( i hope u guys understand ❤️

anyways, this chapter is a bit of a ... filler? it is important to the plot and to explain some things, but it's nothing WOW. in fact, I'm actually disappointed in this chapter and i think so far this is my worst one 😭 but I'll let u decide this by reading!

enjoy !! ✨🎀🌸

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

chapter nine
53.5 %

 

 

“Are you fucking insane?”

 Keith ignored Lance’s scream as he walked away from the Marmora Council room. The hallway was silent and thankfully no one was awake at this time of the night otherwise they would all be able to hear the inevitable argument that was about to occur. The doors shut automatically, but Keith was sure Lance would’ve slammed it in rage if he had the chance. The steps of the man catching up to him were swift and angry, but Keith tried to put on his neutral mask before Lance had the chance to see his face.

 “Don’t you even dare to ignore me right now!”

 “Keep your voice down!” Keith hissed, his hands forming in fists, although he refused to look back at his husband.

 The road to their room seemed excessively long now when they weren’t acting like lovesick idiots as usual. Because of course they were that couple that teased each other and kept kissing in the hallways costing them being late at meetings. And generally, they would hold each other’s hands and talk about everything there was or just bask in comfortable silence that was achieved even before they became actual friends. It was very rare—to fight that is. Keith couldn’t remember the last time they seriously had an argument. They had silly fights, as every couple did, about the dishes or the laundry and whose turn it was to watch over Layla or pick up Ezra from wherever he was. But whatever was coming now, judging by Lance’s fractured breathing … it was a storm that Keith had predicted, but not one that he was ready for.

 “You?!” Lance exclaimed. “You want me to keep my voice down? After what you fucking did back there?! After what you just agreed to?”

 “I didn’t agree to anything yet,” he protested hotly.

 Stubborn as ever, Keith just kept walking towards their shared room on the Marmora ship. He was sweaty from the mission that he came back from a few hours ago and he felt grosser than ever. Keith was also pretty sure that if Lance wasn’t busy yelling at him, he would’ve whined about him desperately needing a shower. His hair also felt despicably dirty especially after the rain on the planet he’d just visited. He had untied it during the meeting so he could let it dry, and now it felt dehydrated and on the edge of breaking from how bad it was.

 “Keith—”

 “Lance,” Keith interrupted as he finally halted and whirled around to meet those blue eyes he loved so much, the same ones Lance passed on their daughter, swirling like stormy clouds, the wrath radiating off him like fire sparks. “Please, not now. We haven’t seen each other in one week and the first thing you do is yell at me.”

 Lance visibly blanched at the words, and for a moment Keith realized how stupid he sounded, because he knew that his husband was rightfully angry. And Keith was too. But all he wanted right now was his kids and the loving embrace of the man he married. Though if Lance acted in the way he did right now, Keith surely was going to be reacting worse.

 “Don’t act like you didn’t know that I missed you every second of the day,” Lance said, pointing an accusing finger at his face while his eyes narrowed. “And don’t make it look like I’m the villain when you’re acting like some teenager throwing a tantrum! Because, surprise, babe,” he remarked and spread his hands wide like he really presented some great trick on a magic show. “We raised a teenager who threw some tantrums!”

 “How am I acting like a teenager when you’re the one who won’t stop screaming?” This time Keith couldn’t hold it in and yelled back as if this was some competition on who could be louder. “We can talk about what happened later when you’ve calmed down.”

 Lance tipped his head back to chuckle humorlessly at the ceiling. “Oh, the fucking irony,” he muttered and massaged the bridge of his nose tiredly.

 Keith didn’t say anything to that, but he stomped on the rising anger that was building up inside of him. This was not the time and place for a married couple to argue and he certainly didn’t want any Blades that might have heard something to poke and stick their noses into his business. He didn’t wait for Lance as he marched away, heading to their shared room, but after a few seconds—Lance’s steps followed. Some part of him sighed in relief.

 Because no matter how bad it seemed, they always followed one another. And there never was an argument they couldn’t settle down. And no matter how tense it all looked, Lance’s presence was always welcomed, especially after this one torturous week without his touch.

 The walk to their place was empty of conversation and Keith didn’t know what to do or say. It was usually Lance who could turn every awkward situation into a pleasant experience. But he knew that when his husband was truly angry, it was best to leave him brood for a while. Lance preferred to sort out his thoughts first and then speak and make decisions. A valuable lesson he had learned from his mother and one Keith hoped he also passed down onto his children. Sure, with the years Keith became wiser and not as impulsive as when he was a teenager, but it was always Lance who mastered the think now-do later skill.

 “Where are the kids?” Keith asked hesitantly as he looked behind sheepishly at Lance. He was dressed in his sleep clothes, old sweatpants and a loose t-shirt. His curly hair was messy as if he was about to fall asleep any minute before he received the notification that Keith got back. A pang of guilt slammed into his chest. He probably couldn’t sleep well without him, just like Keith couldn’t. He just hoped there weren’t any nightmares or panic attacks while he was away.

 Lance’s head snapped up; brows furrowed in thought.

 “Hopefully asleep,” he said and that was that. Keith nodded, but it was too late as Lance once again looked back at the floor, his hands in his pockets.

 At last, they arrived at their own corridor, the one they shared with his mother and Kolivan. The last time he talked with Krolia, she was on New Daibazaal with Kolivan to visit Keith’s grandmother, Nyrua. The kids loved their great grandma to bits, and so did Keith, although it was easier for them to speak to her since both of them learned Galran relatively fast as children. Keith improved his own and he definitely could hold a conversation, but it still needed more work.

 They finally stood in front of the door and Keith pressed his hand to the screen, the doors immediately departing.

 He and Lance entered, but before they could settle in, there was a high-pitched yell that made Keith’s heart soar.

 “Daddy! You’re back!” Then it was followed by the cutest laugh ever and Keith was on his knees to meet his running daughter before he could even think about it.

 Layla slammed into his chest with a surprising (or maybe not) force that Keith took with a grunt, although he couldn’t deny the huge smile that was stretching his lips. He squeezed her small body and immediately took comfort in her sweet smell as she weaved her hands around his neck. She was warm and dressed in her fluffy pajamas that for a second, he felt some tears stinging his eyes and blurring his vision. God, if he really went on that mission …

 “I missed you so much,” she murmured into his neck and Keith pushed her curly hair back, kissing her forehead. His heart was on the verge of bursting from all the sudden love that he was filled with.

 “I missed you more, annha aymera.”

 Layla giggled at the Galran words of affection and pulled back. Her hands, as always, found their place on Keith’s cheeks as she squished them together. Then she kissed him on the cheeks and on the forehead as the usual, traditional greeting they’ve started doing over the years. Keith used to do that a lot when she was a baby and a toddler, but after some time Layla demanded that she was the one doing it from now on. And who was Keith to refuse that?

 “Querida, where’s your brother?” Lance suddenly asked and Layla looked up with a smile at him. A smile that was way too sugary for his liking, one that was way too innocent. Of course, she had learned this from Ezra.

 “Who?” She asked stupidly like Keith and Lance would simply forget they have another kid just like that.

 Keith sighed in sync with Lance.

 “Layla,” they said sternly, both at the same time.

 She deflated and sighed under their stern stares, slumping in Keith’s hold like the dramatic daughter she was. “Fineeee,” Layla said and stared up at him with her blue eyes. “He and Marcelo went on this Blade sleepover party that’s full of like … teenagers and stuff. He told me not to tell you.”

 Layla’s face screwed up in disgust at the word “teenagers” and Keith almost broke down in laughter as he imagined her reaction if he reminded her that she’d be a teenager too one day. Then it would be something the three of them would dread. Although Keith wasn’t too worried as he was for Ezra. Not that his son was irresponsible, but he did love to get in trouble from time to time and was impulsive just as much as him. That’s what he was, a calm baby—an energetic child and teenager as he grew up. He and Lance should’ve expected that Layla would be calmer when as a baby she would wake up everyone with her cries wherever they stayed.

 “Blade sleepover party?” Lance repeated to which the girl shrugged at.

 “A lot of them have been talking about it for weeks all around the ship.” She grabbed a hold of Keith’s lock of hair and began twisting and playing with it. “They always talk when they think I don’t listen. Grandpa Kolivan said it’s a great skill because I’m very cute.” That made Keith bark out a laugh. Kolivan, and literally every other member on the Blade ship, had a soft spot for both of his kids—especially Layla. His daughter’s eyebrows furrowed and she pouted angrily at his smile. “I am cute, right? Why are you laughing? Papi, why is Dad laughing? Am I not cute?”

 “The cutest,” Lance said with a big loving smile. Then he grabbed her from Keith’s arms so he could fling her body around. Layla laughed and screamed in delight as her father kept tossing her in the air just the way she loved and in audition with Lance chuckling—it was all music to Keith’s ears, a melody that he was deprived of for one week and he would be again for who knows how long if he really accepted that mission. There was only his other kid missing unfortunately. Would he be evil if he was selfish this one time? If he only once put himself and his safety above those who couldn’t protect themselves; those who needed someone like him, someone who would drop everything to help? Someone who would drop their own family?

 Or maybe he would be a terrible person, an awful husband and a shitty parent even, if he went on that mission? Keith would be the one to leave this time after he had been personally affected and had seen what it was like after someone you loved left? The thought of Layla and Ezra thinking they weren’t good enough (just like he did all those decades ago) for him to stay, left Keith feeling like a wide chasm opened on the place where his chest was.

 The dilemma left Keith feeling hollow, bitter and hopeless all at once in the moment they had sent him the file just minutes ago.

 

“However, there is one thing you should take in consideration if you are to accept this mission, Master McClain,” said Krithria.

 Krithria was a half like him and the head of the relief mission’s department. It was Keith who put her in this position after so many years of watching her unfold her potential and amazing abilities. She always gave her all, and then some on top of it like a true Galran warrior. Keith and Lance had found her and her father when she was a teenager on a planet nearby New Daibazaal. Apparently, her mother was Galra and died during the war, but … she was not a rebel nor a Blade. Ever since they’ve rescued her, she acted like she had to pay off her mother’s sins.

 It was a good reminder. Even back then, nothing was ever black and white. Krithria’s mother perhaps wanted to protect her family just like his own mother left to protect him. They’d never know the real answer, but it was certain that many Galra were forced into the military and many paid the price for it no matter how good they were deep down. A lot laid many years in prison, some joined the Blade, few disappeared into the void of space after they were let go—and others just died.

 Keith raised his head. Lance, he could see with the corner of his eye, tensed in the seat next to him. “What is it, general Krithria?”

 Her eyes turned somehow sad, but she still said without any hesitation, “This mission is … different than all the others we’ve done. It’s not going to be easy and our Statistics council predicted fifty-three-point five percent success and at least two deceased for sure.” This time Lance leaned forwards, mouth opening with the clear intention to argue, but Keith put a hand over his thigh and squeezed in warning. They’ve had this talk over millions of times. His husband often had the nerve to intervene when it came to Keith taking missions. And while Keith knew that Lance didn’t do it to be controlling or selfish, it was still a tad bit annoying. After all, he wasn’t a teenager anymore.

 Lance glared at him, but he seemed to forget it was Keith who was the champion at winning glaring competitions.

 “Of course, you can completely refuse if you wish,” reassured another Blade, Meelan. He was one of the healers, incredibly gentle and calm. Even the patients with most gruesome and horrible injures could be seen laughing and smiling when he was taking care of them. It was understandable why Ezra wanted to be just like him and went on easy runs with Meelan whenever the man asked for help. “But one of the people there specifically asked for you, Keith.”

 Keith’s brows furrowed. “How did they ask for me when my mother said the planet had been hidden for decaphoebs and didn’t even know about the Galra or Voltron?”

 “I don’t like it,” Lance cut off. “This is too suspicious.”

 A few Blades who were seated nodded in agreement to Lance’s statement, but Keith stubbornly kept his eyes locked with Krithria as he waited for an answer.

 “We don’t know,” she said. “We’re suspecting that under all the years of forced isolation, there could be ones who must have heard, watched or seen something. But one thing is for sure.”

 Then she slid the mission file across the other side of the table, where Keith and Lance were sitting.

 “They want the Red Paladin of Voltron and leader of the Blade of Marmora to come and save their people.”

 

Keith was brought back into reality when he heard the door open, followed by the unmistakable voices of his son and nephew in law.

 “—ure that tio Lance and Keith won’t get angry when they learn we stole a ship?”

 “Marcelo, dude, you’re seventeen. Stop worrying about this stuff. Tia Acxa will even high five—”

 Ezra’s sentence took a halt when Keith turned to the boys who stood at the entry and crossed his arms, mustering the angriest glare he could do.

 “… you.” His son finished lamely. Marcelo grimaced and slapped a hand over his forehead.

 “You both did what?” Keith gritted through his teeth. Ezra sighed, but he tried to smile at him; that cute little smile that made everyone melt because of how sweet his son was. And back when he was little—Keith always fell into this little trap. Not anymore though, he and Lance became immune a long time ago.

 “Dad!” Ezra tried to sound enthusiastic. He spread his arms preparing for a hug and took a step towards him. But the sight of Lance who had come to stand next to him, mirroring his pose stopped him from taking any further actions. “You’re … back?”

 Layla jump walked playfully between them, heading to her room while she sing-sang, “Someone is in troubleee …”

 “Shut up, you gremlin,” Ezra hissed angrily at her.

 “Ezra!” Lance exclaimed in frustration, but this time Marcelo grimaced in time with his cousin. “What is this nonsense with you stealing ships?”

 “Listen, Pops, there was this dare—”

 “A dare? So, one day some idiot will dare you to blow yourself up in some ship and what, Ezra? You’ll do it?!” Lance exploded and Keith blinked at surprise in his tone. Sure, stealing a ship—a Marmora ship at that—was extremely against the rules and it wouldn’t have been encouraged, not even by Acxa no matter what Marcelo said. (Although if someone would be encouraging, it would definitely be Veronica.) But Lance never raised his voice that high or reacted so heatedly over something that wasn’t actually that much of a deal. The best part of raising children with Lance was how much Keith learned from him along the way. Lance had always been the picture perfect for a good parent and when they had learned they’d have Ezra, Keith fell into a state of panic. It was Lance who reassured him, it was Lance who showed him they would be the best version of each other for themselves and their child.

 Keith looked at Ezra who looked just as surprised at Lance’s outburst. His hazel eyes jumped to Keith, looking for an explanation on why his usually calm and sweet Papá was acting this way.

 “P-papá, what are you talking about? Of course, I wouldn’t do something like that,” his son said with sad and confused eyes. He looked like a kicked puppy, like Kosmo whenever he didn’t understand on why he was being scolded. Keith’s heart shriveled up painfully and he looked up at his husband who was positively fuming judging by the clear tension in his whole body. Keith put a hand over his shoulder, but Lance shrugged him off.

 “You always say you won’t do anything stupid and then you go and make it happen! Do you and your father just simply exist to be stubborn and make me angry?”

 “What?” Ezra asked and seemed obviously puzzled on what was going on. “Papá, what is going on with you? Is there something going on?”

 Lance scoffed angrily. Keith decided to step in.

 “Lance, please calm down. Don’t let it out on him,” he said sternly and almost stepped away when Lance directed his blue, angry gaze on him. Was this … because of earlier? Keith knew he was affected because of their argument earlier and frankly, he was too. He kind of wanted to sit down and truly think about the mission, about the pros and the cons and what it meant for him and his family. He wanted to thoroughly talk with Lance, and for all this to end with sweet kisses and cuddles. Keith hated when Lance got mad which was once in a blue moon, but whenever it happened it always forced him to realize how he often didn’t appreciate his husband’s tranquility.

 “He stole a ship—”

 “And your son,” Keith spat, the room feeling frozen and still from all the pressure, “isn’t an outlet for your anger.”

 Those words must’ve been what did it for Lance to finally exit the blurry state of rage and come back to them, his head preferably clearer than before. His husband blinked in surprise and looked back at Ezra who looked on the verge of tears, his eyes glistening with his hands raised like he was ready to step in if it was needed. His boy has always been like that, Keith thought fondly, always so sensitive to the emotions around him, like a sponge absorbing every single feeling in a room.

 Lance closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. Then he opened them and didn’t even spare Keith a second glance as he headed towards the entry.

 “C’mon Marcelo, I’m taking you to your mothers.”

 The boy obediently followed his uncle after he shared a hug with Ezra. Despite the situation, Keith let himself smile at the interaction. The first cousins basically grew up together and were probably siblings just as much as Layla and Selenia were to them. He, Lance, Acxa and Veronica had their fair number of videos and pictures from when they were kids and loved to embarrass the boys when their egos got too big. It was a good humbling.

 “Bye uncle Keith. I’m glad you returned home safe,” Marcelo said with a wave which he returned. Lance stood by the door with a blank face.

 Keith went up to him before he could leave.

 “How long will you be gone?”

 It was useless to pretend that Lance would return immediately to their room after dropping off his nephew. After years of being with Lance, Keith knew that his husband needed his space after an argument.

 Something in Lance’s eyes changed and they slightly returned to that loving blue in which he had fallen in love with. He switched into the husband that was pepping him with kisses and hugs every time he returned from somewhere, whether a mission or just from the supermarkets on Earth.

 “I don’t know,” he murmured and looked away guiltily.

 A burning bulge formed in Keith’s throat and he tried to swallow the tears that decided it was their time to come. He had missed Lance and the kids so much. The mission wasn’t even that long, but every departure made Keith ache just as much, no matter how close or far away it was, or the duration of it all. He wanted for Lance to press him into his chest and kiss him until they fell asleep, but …

 “Oh. Okay,” Keith said and exhaled shakily, trying to fight and hide any sobs. “Should I wait for you?”

 Apparently, he couldn’t hide the way his voice broke on the last word, for Lance turned to meet his face and his own blues were shining under the lights of the ship.

 Keith thought his question would be ignored, but then his husband reached out and pressed his warm hand on the left sides of his face, gently pressing onto his cheek. Keith naturally nuzzled into the caress, an instinct that developed ever since they started dating. Then Lance leaned forward to push away Keith’s dry and dirty bangs with his other hand and pressed a soft kiss on his forehead that almost made him cry. Afterwards, the hand on his cheek slid down and tipped his chin just a little so Lance could press his lips into his own.

 And Keith wanted to melt.

 He wanted to press further, wanted to weave his hands around Lance’s neck and keep him close where he belonged. Wanted to apologize and cry and explain himself before the love of his life went away for the night.

 But Lance separated from him before he could do any of those things.

 “You go have a nice sleep, okay? Relax a little, you’re barely standing,” Lance whispered into the air between them and Keith could taste the absolute love in his words. “I’ll be there for when you wake up.”

 Keith nodded and then Lance turned his back on him with Marcelo waiting for him at the end of the corridor.

 He stepped into the room and the doors hissed closed.

 “Are you going to explain what just happened?” Ezra broke the silence and Keith startled a little. He looked up and smiled when he saw his son, head tilted on the side with a small wrinkle between his brows.

 “Maybe after you hug me, I will.”

 Ezra’s pretty Lance-like face broke out in a blinding happy grin and soon Keith’s arms were full of his seventeen-year-old, tall and enthusiastic son. He could’ve sworn the boy was shorter when Keith left, but who knew anymore. Ezra was growing up so fast and it seemed that he was taking after Lance’s ridiculous giraffe height. Keith wasn’t even considered short, but after Lance’s growth spurt in his early twenties, he was cursed with the constant teasing from his husband and brother. Layla was still average height for her age, maybe a bit taller. And if his own kids turned out taller than Keith in the future … Oh, God. The jokes.

 “I missed you so much, Dad. I mean you’ve been gone for longer, but you know …”

 Keith chuckled and kissed his son’s cheeks. “I know. I miss you all even when I’m just visiting your grandma in New Daibazaal for a day.”

 Ezra laughed at that, but it was visible that the aftermath of the argument was still with him.

 “Hey,” Keith said, catching his boy’s attention. “I know your Papá wasn’t fair, you know he usually wouldn’t treat you like that. Though we’re definitely,” Keith emphasized with raising a strict brow which made his son shrunk a little, “having a talk about you and Marcelo stealing ships.”

 “Fine,” Ezra said, defeated. “I just don’t get why Pops—”

 “He and I just,” Keith interrupted as a small, defeated sigh left his lips. He definitely didn’t want Ezra to feel bad for the way Lance behaved. “We had an argument. A disagreement sounds more like it, but you know how he is when we fight. I’m sure he’ll apologize when he comes back … just understand the situation, okay?”

 Ezra nodded in understanding. “Okay. You’re gonna be fine though, right?”

 Yes.

 No.

 Maybe.

 I don’t know.

 “I’ll try my best to be,” Keith settled on instead and gave Ezra his best and most comforting smile.

 But it didn’t seem to work, because Ezra has been living with them both long enough to tell when one of them is holding back the truth. The boy’s eyes roamed around his face, taking in the few scrapes on his face and perhaps the dark circles under his eyes from the little amount of sleep he was allowed to have back on the planet. And Keith certainly didn’t want to worry his own child with his problems, when he was the parent here, but Ezra was a grown-up boy now—as much as he and Lance didn’t like it sometimes. Their babies were getting older every day, learning who they were and what they wanted from life. And to watch them; to watch all of it was the most beautiful blessing and the most horrendous curse.

 “You know,” his son began hesitantly like he was afraid whatever he was about to say was going to upset Keith. “Pops tries to hide it a lot, but me and Lalz both know he can never sleep without you. And it’s basically the same with you when he goes away. You look miserable when you’re apart.” Then Ezra’s gaze travelled to the floor, looking deep in thought before he raised his head again. “Don’t you both, like … want to quit sometimes?”

 “Do you and your sister want us to quit?” Keith asked.

 This was strange. They’ve never actually discussed Keith’s job at the Blade or Lance’s side mission runs whenever he had free time from the Garrison. But maybe if Ezra and Layla have talked about it then it must’ve been important.

 Ezra’s eyes widened and he was quick to backtrack. “What? No! I mean … it is hard when either of you go on missions since we know it’s dangerous sometimes. But we know you save and help all those aliens, because that’s what you’ve always loved to do. And we never feel abandoned or left behind.” He looked on one side, his gaze a bit sad and faraway. “But don’t you get tired? Have you wanted to stop the missions and work full time at the Garrison like Papá?”

 Keith actually did.

 In fact, he’d had a conversation with Lance about it. About how he’d been thinking about retiring and passing down his leader position on Krithria perhaps and teach classes at whatever school was willing to accept him. He would have to get through a teacher educational program, but that wouldn’t be a problem. If Lance managed to do it—then so could he. The young generation was full of life and a sense of adventure and they needed someone to guide them into whatever path they chose as fighter or cadet pilots, fighters, healers, emissaries and so on.

 And who knew when Voltron would be needed again?

 “I considered becoming an instructor or a mentor at whatever academy I apply to,” Keith said and as Ezra nodded, smiling encouragingly. “Maybe I’ll finally retire as a head of the Blade of Marmora and pass it down to Krithria after the mission I was offered.”

 Suddenly Ezra’s grin slipped off his face, an expression of confusion and sadness overtaking his features. “Wait … is this why Papá was angry? Because of a mission they’re giving you?”

 Curse his son and his observation skills.

 “You can say so,” Keith sighed. “Your father thinks it’s too dangerous and very suspicious. I haven’t given them a clear answer yet, but I do have to confirm in two days maximum. Meelan and Krithria will go as well, and they said the leader of the planet’s rebellion had asked specifically for my presence.”

 “What’s the situation?” Ezra questioned and he turned from a carefree teenage boy to an unshakable copy of Lance whenever the safety of his loved ones was concerned. That Lance that didn’t joke around, whose eyes turned icy accompanied with an unapologetic tone.

 Keith reached out to smooth Ezra’s messy bangs away from his face, pouring all his love into this gesture. He’d noticed his son’s skin was unusually warm and that made Keith worry while he paused even when Ezra leaned into the touch like he sought unconsciously the coldness that his hands gave out.

 “It’s this dwarf planet called Ivapra,” Keith began. His boy opened one hazel eye to stare right at him, indicating that he was listening. “We didn’t know about its existence until one phoeb ago until we received an anonymous transmission from this one supposed leader of their rebellion. Apparently, they’ve been forced into hiding and isolation by their leaders back when Zarkon began enslaving the galaxy. However, according to our source—that same government liked the control too much and with the Galra not finding them, they grasped the opportunity to enslave their own people. And since nobody knew about their existence, they couldn’t have been helped with an outside help.”

 “That’s horrible,” Ezra whispered, horrified. “That’s … twenty thousand years living in such conditions. And imagine how worse it’s on the inside, how scared those poor Ivaprans are.”

 Despite the mood, and despite how helpless Keith felt, he still found a grain of power within him to smile at his son. His kind and compassionate son who’d make a brilliant healer one day. One who’d save lives and blind the whole universe with his love.

 “Krithria said that according to the Statistics team we have under sixty percent chance of successfully completing the mission.”

 Ezra’s eyes went wide in fear and Keith quickly stopped his son’s hand that was about to be raised to his mouth. He’d developed this habit as an early teenager—to bite his nails that is. But when Keith made contact, Ezra squeezed his hand back more painfully than ever like he was afraid that he would disappear at this very moment and never come back. It was sweet as much as it was heartbreaking.

 “That’s …”

 “I know.”

 “Dad, this is … extremely low.” Keith’s heart broke at the raspy hitch in Ezra’s voice. “You— … I—”

 “I know. Believe me, it’s not any easier for me and your father either.”

 Ezra opened his mouth.

 Closed it.

 His eyes were filling with wet tears, which caused Keith to realize his own were burning hotly. Tears that he managed to put out when he was having his conversation with Lance. But now he was powerless to keeping his feelings at bay when his own kid, the one boy he raised with the love of his life was staring back at him as if he already sentenced Keith to death, now mourning with all grief possible.

 And it was no surprise when Ezra carefully took one step forwards and fell into his chest with a silent sob. Keith’s arms immediately engulfed him into a strong hold, but he did, too, allow himself to finally cry.

 They stood like that for maybe minutes or hours with Keith resting his cheek on his son’s hair when all of a sudden Ezra confessed, “Sometimes … sometimes I wish you and Papá weren’t those great paladins and saviors of the universe. Sometimes I wish you guys became one of those cool couples that everyone was jealous of back at the Garrison.” Ezra inhaled sharply against the crying, sounding like the words that came out physically hurt him. “And sometimes I wish you guys weren’t actually those good and selfless people who help everyone.”

 He finished with another small sob and Keith felt a pair of tears of his own escaping. Keith didn’t say anything, but pressed a long-lasting kiss on his son’s temple as he clutched Ezra into his chest harder than before. It reminded him of those times when he was a little boy still, crying and afraid of imaginary monsters or his nightmares.

 The thought of Lance flashed in front of him. Lance, who was somewhere out there on the ship, overthinking and probably crying just like them, because he understood as a paladin too. As a Blade. And he was frustrated about it. Because that was their job was and what they accepted years ago when they were just teenagers, when they were younger than their son’s age when they dressed up in armor that was too big for them to wear even when they were adults. Because they fighters who were paladins of Voltron, pilots that were special and chosen by some kind of higher being to be the ones to save the universe.

 They could never escape their calling, no matter how much they wanted to be normal.

 So, Keith kissed Ezra’s temple again without an answer, but he wished he could say, I know, my love.

 Sometimes I wish the same.

 

 

*

 

 

The Galran clock on the wall above their TV read three AM when Keith woke up to the feeling of someone trying to sneak under his arm.

 He stirred up from where he laid on the big couch that was almost as wide as an actual bed. Ezra was blissfully asleep, his head in his lap, a familiar position for them both whenever his son needed to vent to him. At some point Keith feared Ezra would want to stop doing this considering it childish or anything, but he was always pleasantly surprised whenever his boy decided to plop his head on his thigh and talk about whatever bothered him as if Keith was his personal therapist. But these past months, all he talked about was Mella and … whatever that was going between them. Keith didn’t meddle too much, even though he and Allura always shared these knowing looks whenever their kids interacted.

 While Lotor and Lance were completely oblivious to their kids’ teenage love adventures. It was hilarious, Keith would have to admit, to look at Lance’s puzzled face when Ezra complained about Mel. After all, for his husband—they were only supposed to be childhood best friends.

 Keith noticed his right hand was buried in Ezra’s messy hair. He’d probably fallen asleep mid motion caressing his locks which caused a smile to grow before he turned on his left to look at Layla who was currently trying to be as sneaky as she could be, trying not to wake him up which she was failing at in the best way possible.

 “And what exactly are you doing, Miss McClain?” Keith whispered with a chuckle as Layla’s head snapped up, eyes round with fear from being caught.

 The room was filled with complete darkness since Keith turned the lights off the moment Ezra fell asleep. A few stars and moons from the outside casted a soft silver glow and with the help of his enhanced sight due to his Galran genes—he had the perfect vision of his very adorable daughter. Her messy curly hair was done in a messy bun that was too much on the left, most likely due to the fact she tied it up herself.

 Layla didn’t say anything, just hugged her favorite plush toy and settled closer next to him.

 Something in Keith felt unsettled at the lack of response. It was true that Layla was maybe closer to him in terms of personality—she was shy and quiet, hated big places with loud crowds, but her family and friends (especially Keith) knew the major difference between Layla being normal quiet and an upset Layla that stayed silent, because she didn’t know what to say.

 So, Keith decided to let her be, hoping that she’d talk when she felt ready without him pushing her. He leaned back on the comfy cushions, resuming stroking Ezra’s soft hair. He put a hand around Layla’s shoulder too, pulling her to him. He felt content with his kids chilling with him like whenever they decided to have movie nights, thought it felt utterly empty without Lance here. Keith was hoping that at least his husband wasn’t in trouble somewhere.

 He didn’t realize he was drifting back to sleep, the heavy fatigue as if sitting on his whole body until Layla called out his name.

 “Hm?”

 “Dad … are you going to die?”

 Now that certainly woke him up, his eyes snapping open to blink back at the darkness before he looked down to his daughter. The place where she had leaned in was getting very wet and Keith didn’t waste any second as he turned her face to him. He wiped the tears that were spilling quietly as she wept silently and Keith felt like glass breaking into pieces at the sight of her hurting. Layla wasn’t a very loud crier and sometimes he and Lance struggled to recognize if there was something wrong until she decided to tell them herself, though often happened when it was too late.

 “What are you talking about, annha aymera?” He cooed and kissed her forehead when she sniffed miserably. “Why would I be dying?”

 “I heard you and Ezra talking earlier,” she said, her tiny voice breaking the words as she kept crying and sniffing.

 In spite of the mood, Keith chuckled. “It’s not very polite to eavesdrop, didn’t you know?”

 She stubbornly shook her head and hid her face in his neck, although Keith definitely knew she knew that eavesdropping wasn’t nice, but it didn’t seem that his attempt at joking worked very well. He sighed internally. If only Lance was here. He was always way better at words and lifting the spirits up.

 “Can you take me with you?” She asked, a spark of hope filled in her voice.

 Keith laughed, dry and empty of humor. “You already know the answer to that, baby.”

 Layla sighed sadly and glanced up at him doe eyed.

 “So, are you going away on this mission?”

 Going away.

 Are you going away?

 And Keith knew Layla didn’t ask it in that context, but this question sounded in his ears with different words. Rather he heard, are you leaving us?

 Are you leaving me?

 “I’m not sure yet,” he answered honestly. Generally, he would consult with Lance when it came to missions being more dangerous than usual. But now he was truthfully torn between doing what was right and his duty as the Blade leader—and his selfishness, that part of him that wanted to say no and stay with his family, perhaps visit Earth or Altea while the others risked their lives on some planet far away, hidden beneath all their radars. Keith knew what the consequences would be if he refused. He’d declined offers over the years, but whenever it happened there was that sticky and ugly guilt that was stuck with him wherever he went. His therapist back on Earth said it was probably due to his trauma from the war from seeing the horrors of innocents dying.

 “… our Statistics council predicted fifty-three-point five percent success and at least two deceased for sure.”

 Keith also wasn’t sure if he would be the same if Meelan or Krithria died on the mission, especially if he had the option to be there and save them if needed.

 Layla hummed in reply.

 “Do you think those aliens on that planet are sad, because they can’t go out like when we do?”

 Keith was a bit taken back at her question, excepting rather a “No, don’t go” or “You’ll stay, right?” This seemed like a strange one, but he wasn’t fully surprised by the amount of emotional intelligence she possessed. Ezra was the same at her age.

 He began to twirl a curl around his finger.

 “They probably are,” he said sadly. “We don’t have much information, but we definitely know that they aren’t allowed to leave their home and visit other places.”

 “So … if one of them wants to be a space explorer … they can’t be?”

 Another odd question that made Keith’s forehead to wrinkle in confusion. Layla never spoke of exploring space or liking anything close to it. Apart from her alien species diary that he knew she carried always with her; Keith never had heard of something about his daughter’s dreams.

 “I would say so, yes. There isn’t much they can do when they’re being kept from the universe like that.”

 “Oh.”

 A long silence followed, worrying him slightly, but in the meantime, he decided to braid her hair while Layla decided to play with Ezra’s. The boy grunted in his sleep and turned on the other side, facing Keith’s feet.

 “I won’t be angry like Papá if you go, daddy,” Layla softly said out of nowhere. Keith’s braiding halted just when he was just finishing the hairdo.

 “Baby, he isn’t angry because of me wanting to go. He’s just scared that something bad might happen to me.”

 Layla turned slowly to meet him, her face open and her blue eyes softly glittering under the cosmos lights. So perfect and balanced, he’s always thought with a warm endearment. That his two beautiful kids embodied their home planet. Ezra’s hazel eyes were like the earth—with its green grass and mud, and Layla with her blues, with all the oceans and twilight skies. He’d said it shyly to Lance one night on Altea when his husband playfully complained that none of their kids had Keith’s “startling and piercing amethysts that could put all Galra to shame”. Lance’s words, not his. In Keith’s humble opinion, and according to his ID, his eyes were just dark gray.

 “I’m afraid, too, dad,” she admitted with a quick look down. Her brows were cutely locked together in a small scowl and her bottom lip quivered slightly like she was about to cry, but before he had the chance to comfort her, Layla gazed up. This time there was but there was this … flaming determination igniting those cobalt diamonds which she took from her other dad. “But you will help them, right? Maybe someone there has a dream about being a space explorer, but they can’t. You and Papá always say that we should always follow our dreams.”

 Keith smiled and stroked her cheek. “Right.”

 “A-and— and all these aliens deserve to see those hills on Altea and the castle! Or the cool forests and mountains in Daibazaal! Maybe some of them will want to live in Cuba when they see the beaches and eat from abuela’s food, right?”

 “Oh, most certainly. They won’t want to leave,” Keith said with a serious nod.

 Layla finally grinned shyly and he almost crushed her towards his chest, wishing to shower her with kisses. If only Keith wasn’t worried about the sleeping Ezra.

 The conversation with each sentence afterwards swerved into a completely different direction. She talked about what new show she watched, what games she played with the other Blades and Selenia and the face time she had with grandma Krolia earlier this day. After all, … Layla was still an eight-year-old kid. She had her moments of wisdom, but they never lasted that long.

 And the clock now read almost four AM, when now every word she was saying was drifted into nothingness and ending with a long yawn. Keith’s own eyes were slowly dropping, but he was set on keeping himself awake until she fell asleep. (Some part of him still waiting and waiting for Lance to come back.)

 Keith’s head lulled on the side, resting on top of Layla’s to support himself. He felt her drawing patterns on his palm which didn’t help with him not falling asleep.

 “Hey, daddy?” Layla murmured blearily, on the edge of passing away just like he was. It was beyond him how she still found strength to talk.

 Keith let out a hum. “Yeah, darling?”

 “If something bad happens to you—I’ll come and save you, okay?”

 A giggle erupted from his chest and he raised her small hand so he could press a kiss there.

 “Of course, you will. You’re my brave warrior after all.”

 And maybe it was the tiredness messing with his head. Or perhaps the argument with Lance made everything seem more emotional than it was.

 

 

 But there was something in his mind whispering … or screaming actually, that whatever Layla was telling didn’t contain a single lie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 

Keith woke up when the clock on the wall read eight AM. The familiar smell of Lance’s perfume was painfully familiar to his senses.

 His husband was laying on the couch, sleeping next to him and he had his hand intertwined with Keith’s. Even during a fight, Lance and he couldn’t stay away from each other. Keith smiled at their joining and then looked down where Ezra was still snoring, still sleeping on his thigh (or actually knee now as he had rolled down). And Layla who was leaning on him as she was tightly snuggling his arm instead of her plush toy that was thrown on the side.

 His family. The one he’d found and made with so much love and trust. The person who fought all these battles, who fought in a war and came out of it alive—that was the Keith who did all of this. The Keith whom everyone thought will end up in jail, because he was marked as a bully; a kid with anger issues that could never be loved. That Keith who protected those who were helpless just like him once. That Keith who now gave hope to people instead of taking it away. Why would he have to choose … when he could be both, when he could do both?

 

 

 Because after all, what were fifty-three-point five percent against the McClain family?

Notes:

keith after those 53.5% turned out to be correct assumptions : oh well ... lmao

KIDDING SJSNWL, we learned he came back alive last chapter so nothing to worry about ... for now at least. :)))))))) hehe

as i said, I'm not satisfied with this chapter and i won't be surprised if y'all leave me on dry comments this time. :// I'll still love u forever if u tell me ur opinion and thoughts of course 💗

so lately, I've been having these HUGE inspirations for other klance works, but i feel like u guys will drop my ass after this story ends LMAOSJWLJA😭😭😭 i am thinking of PJO au fics, of Hogwarts aus, fantasy ones, cheesy rom coms au SO MANY POSSIBILITIES AND IT SUCKS I CAN'T WRITE FAST :'(( (but do tell in what u would be interested in the future!!)

BUT YEAH. THAT'S IT FOR NOW FROM ME✨❤️ next chapter we coming back to the past where the obliviousness rules :')) SEE U NEXT TIME MY BEAUTIFUL ANGELS! 🌼 I LOVE U SO MUCH, MWAH!

(pssst ... i started my first anime ever the other day. it was jujutsu kaisen and I'm so in love with it. so far I'm on episode 19 so pls no spoilers, but if someone wishes to scream with me about it, be my guest please 😃🖤💜)

Chapter 10: 💌

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Hi, my beautiful angels! ✨

 Now, before you panic or anything—let me just say that this is not me announcing I’m abandoning Your Eyes Tell. This work and writing it brings me a lot of joy and you guys will never understand how happy it makes me that you read it and love Layla and Ezra just as much as I do. However, it might seem I’ve been pretty absent these past two months and I’d like to formally apologize. Now, I know that everyone has always been so supportive, kind and nursing to me about taking breaks and taking care of myself first before putting my work out there and rushing things. To which I’m incredibly grateful for, because I’ve been a witness to many rude readers demanding for content and forgetting that we, fanfiction writers, also have lives and work aside from doing something I’m sure is a hobby to many of us. 💕

 But I still don’t want to be a complete asshole and leave you all in the dark about why I’m taking so long with the next update since I was absent with my monthly august one. And for future reference, I’m not completely sure I’ll post it this month either. Sorry for that. :((

 To be completely honest, I just don’t have the mental energy for writing right now. I know it sounds really stupid and whiney, but it is what it is for me now which sucks. For those who hopefully have read my notes, they know I graduated this year and at the end of September I will be moving to another city for university. This has been really stressful and in fact, I’m still spending many hours in bed at night, losing sleep and overthinking it all. I’m not really a person who’s particularly fond of change, I have really strong attachments to my family and hometown and all of my close friends (which are not many) will not be with me at all. So, I’ll be living with a roommate I barely know, completely alone in a new city. It’s scary, right? I hope you all would understand why I didn’t receive any inspiration or will to sit down and write something good, something you deserve and worth reading. 💗

 I actually started a Percy Jackson AU work that I hope you will guys love as much as Your Eyes Tell. As for as Layla and Ezra—I have written down the notes for the next chapter and everything I want to include, but I haven’t written anything besides the title. I know it must suck a lot, trust me I’ve been a vivid reader ever since I joined the fandom in 2018 and I know how frustrating it is when authors take really long with posting new chapters. I only started writing at the end of 2019, not knowing I’d love it so much. Writing is one of the very few things that make me feel good about myself and I’ve been very angry I’m so empty of inspiration just because I’m a cowardly crybaby since I’m going to be moving out, but ah well. It is what it is :D.

 I don’t know when I’ll post the next chapter for YET, nor I know when I’ll finish my PJO AU fic, but I’m hopeful you guys won’t be mad at me for taking so long. I love you all so much, every one of you who always take their time to comment, press kudos, bookmark and read. I always come back to rereading comments whenever I’m down, because your words always make me feel so much better!

 Anyways, apologies I turned this into some therapy session, I know you guys aren’t required to be interested in my life and problems, but again—I felt required to provide for some explanation at least!

 With great faith, I believe next time I post it’s going to be filled with more positivity and happiness than I’m feeling right now! 😊

 Sending a lot of love, hugs and kisses to all of you! ❤️✨

See you next time! 🌸💭

Notes:

p.s. psssst ... how we feeling about an Your Lie In April AU? jk jk ... or not? :)))))))

also!! i made a twitter? i might post updates and sneak peaks if i gather a good amount of followers? it's -- @pinkgladiola! free feel to check it out :)) 💗