Actions

Work Header

A Flirtatious Evening (Rangers x Orchid)

Summary:

This is just a personal ship of mine that I like, and I just wanted to write a romantic date between these two Operators. Hope you enjoy!

Work Text:

Orchid sat in her seat, the noisy bustling of the other patrons at the bar nothing more than faded background noise to her as she watched the entrance of the pub with anticipation for a certain someone. It was quite late, and Orchid felt a little disheartened as it had been a long time since she first arrived in the bar, and that he still hadn't came was a bit daunting. The second cosmopolitan that she had ordered was beginning to stale, and she dearly wished that he'd hurry up.

It had been earlier in the day when she approached the Savras after his daily exercise, and she had reveled in the embarrassment that had crept over his face when she walked up to him as he was shirtless and sweaty after his training. It had taken a few moments before he noticed her, watching him from the entrance of the training room with an admiring smile on her face as she gazed at his muscular frame. In all honesty, she just wanted to continue watching him, bare-chested and dripping with sweat. Unfortunately, it ended the moment he realized she was there, and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Oh, M-miss Orchid!" Rangers stuttered, and he quickly fumbled to put on a sweatshirt, much to Orchid's amusement. After doing covering himself up, he cleared his throat and tried to cover up his self-consciousness with a mask of cool indifference. "What brings you here? Is it something from the Doctor?" He asked, trying to make the tone of the conversation normal. "Or is it something to do with my squad? A mission, perhaps?"

Orchid chuckled, which made the flush on Ranger's white face deepen. "Well, there is something to be asked of you." She said.

"What is it, then?" Rangers asked. 

"Oh, it's not from the Doctor." She said, stepping closer. "It's just something that's been on my mind, and I simply wanted to ask you."

"Ask me what?" He asked, hesitantly taking a little step back as they stood face to face.

Orchid didn't respond for a few moments, letting the tension in the air reside for a little bit, before she replied. "I was wondering if you would mind coming with me to the bar for the evening. You know," She winked. "For some fun."

"O-oh..." Rangers' eyes widened, and Orchid smirked. "That's...not quite what I was expecting but..." He cleared his throat a second time, and shook himself slightly. "Although it is tempting, I'm not sure if I can come. You know how the younger Operators are always begging me to regale them with tales from my adventures." He chuckled wistfully. "Sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose my throat from all the time I tell them stories, even if they give me glasses of water."

"That's why you deserve a break." Orchid said. "Just an evening. Besides, the morale of Operators is critical to Rhodes Island, so it wouldn't be that serious of an offense if you took the day off." She smiled. "Besides, I bet the younger Operators will understand. I mean, they do refer you to Grandpa Rangers after all." At that, Rangers chuckled, and Orchid saw with satisfaction that he was warming up to the idea. "So what do you say?"

Rangers cocked his head to the side and seemed to ponder on the invitation before looking back into Orchid's eager eyes. "Alright then. Just for an evening." He said, and Orchid smirked.

"So, the bar at 7?" She asked, and Rangers nodded. "Well alrighty then." She turned around and threw back her hair, before looking back to him. "I'll be waiting." She murmured, and she savored the look on the Savras' face as she exited the training room.

Flashing back to the present, Orchid sighed, as she continued watching the bar's entrance open and close as people came in and left, hoping that Rangers would walk through and spot her and then their evening of drinks and fun would commence. She had dressed herself in a beautiful white and blue dress, with voguish high heels to compliment it, as to impress Rangers when he finally arrived. However, as the minutes ticked by, she started to think that maybe he wasn't coming, and she sighed with dismay. She looked at the second cosmopolitan that she had ordered for him, and she slowly reached out to grab it. If he wasn't going to show up, it would be a waste to let it expire. But just as she was about to touch the glass with her lips, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Excuse me," A familiar voice said from behind her. "But if I'm mistaken, that's supposed to be for me." Orchid turned around to see Rangers, decked out in a fashionable black tuxedo, his signature blue scarf giving his outfit a fashionable demeanor, and he smirked at her momentary surprise. She smiled and set down the cosmopolitan as Rangers took his seat beside her.

"What took you so long?" She asked as Rangers sat down and began sipping his cosmopolitan. Part of her was annoyed at him for making her wait so long, while the other was in awe of him; his stylish attire, the way he drank the beverage calmly and elegantly, and...was that cologne? It certainly smelled like it, and it reminded her of a certain irritating individual, although that certain perfume was quite popular among the men.

"Would you believe me if I said that I was nervous?" He asked, and Orchid raised an eyebrow. "I'm not as well versed in fashion like you, so I was quite in a predicament, deciding what to wear. Fortunately, someone helped me with that issue."

"Oh?" Orchid leaned in. "And who might that be?" She knew the answer already, but she just wanted to see if he would respond truthfully or not.

"Someone from your squad." Rangers replied. "He asked not to mention his name, as it would be a slight bother to you, but I do have to say, he's quite knowledgeable about style."

At that, Orchid snorted. "Knowledgeable my feathers! Midnight's either too busy claiming to be God's gift to women, or boasting all the time!" At that, Rangers chuckled.

"That, I can agree with. Although you do acknowledge that it does look quite appealing, yes?" He said, and Orchid rolled her eyes, yet she knew that she couldn't disagree. He looked handsome. Nothing could convince her otherwise. "Speaking of which, you look stunning." He complimented, and Orchid blushed. "Like a diamond."

"You got that right." Orchid remarked. "You're quite easy on the eyes as well, Savras." She turned to the barkeep. "Hey, bartender! More drinks, please!" After a few moments, their glasses were refilled, and Rangers raised his cosmopolitan to her.

"To a night of well-deserved fun." He declared. Orchid already felt herself in motion as she raised her glass as well, and the two clinked glasses.

"To a night of well-deserved fun." She repeated, and they both tipped their heads back and gulped down the first of many drinks.

The entire evening was a mix of ecstasy and laughter as the two Operators drank to their heart's contents and talked about practically everything in between the cosmopolitans, martinis, and margaritas; their squad members and the antics that they would get into, the missions that they had experienced during their time at Rhodes Island, and anything that was currently on their minds. An idea popped into Rangers head after a few rounds of drinking, and even though he had taken multiple shots, he still managed to keep his speech from slurring too heavily as he told a peculiar story about when he was deployed in some foreign country. Meanwhile, Orchid was on the threshold of getting absolutely hammered, an intoxicated flush on her face as she struggled to listen to Rangers, absentmindedly nodding to whatever he was spouting off about. What she really was focusing on was Rangers' tuxedo, especially the fact that it had become slightly unbuttoned. All the drinks were making him quite warm, and he had to let out some of the heat. She could see a little part of his muscle underneath the suit, slightly gleaming with sweat. In that moment, all she just wanted to do was to snuggle close to him, and rest her head against his sturdy chest.

"And then, just when we thought we were in the clear, we were suddenly ambushed by-" Rangers paused, noticing the drowsy look in Orchid's eyes. "Are you alright, Orchid? You seem a little too inebriated. Maybe it's time to put down the drinks and head out. Besides, it's quite late out now."

"Oooh, it issss?" Orchid slurred. "Welll, I don't think that's it's thaaaaat late..." She hiccupped and giggled. "Althoughhh, if you say soooo..." Suddenly, she lurched forward and her head hit against Rangers chest, much to his surprise, and in an instant, he dropped his martini and grabbed her, steadying her. The martini shattered on the ground, the liquid inside splashing around, and the bar went quiet for a moment as all the patrons turned to see where the noise came from. After recognizing where it came from, the bar's ambience returned quite quickly as the people continued with their own business.

"Uh, I'll pay for it." Rangers said to the bartender, and quickly directed a very knocked out Orchid to one of the seats, and hurried back to the broken glass, where he helped pick up a few of the shards with one of the waiters. After all the pieces were picked off the floor, Rangers fished a few Lungmen dollars from his pocket and handed it to the bartender. Heading back to Orchid, the classy Liberi was on the brink of blacking out, and Rangers tapped her shoulder. She woke up and attempted to stand up quickly, before staggering just as fast. Rangers instantly threw out his hands to catch her, stopping her from falling again.

"I'm awake! I'm...awaake..." She mumbled incoherently, and she wrapped her arms around him and buried her head in his chest. "You're...sooo...warmm..." She purred. "I could just...fall asleep right heeere...with youu..."

Rangers chuckled softly. "How about you fall asleep in a bed instead, hm?" Reaching underneath, he easily hoisted her up, carrying her bridal style as he exited the bar. Walking down the hall, Rangers looked down to see Orchid snoozing, her head resting on his chest, snoring. Upon reaching her room, he opened the door and set her down in her bed, something she mildly struggled against, as she didn't want to part with Rangers, holding onto him. However, with a quick pull of the blanket over her, Orchid was appeased by the comfort of the sheets and happily continued to doze off. Rangers smiled softly, and quietly left her room, closing the door with a gentle click.

The next morning after, Orchid awoke groggily, rubbing her eyes as she rose out of bed. Yawning, she looked at herself in the mirror, and suddenly the memories of last night flashed through her mind. She groaned at the fact that she had managed to get so drunk that she had to be carried by Rangers back into her room, and that the dress was practically ruined by all the sweat she had perspired, both awake and asleep. However, she felt appreciation for Rangers, who had undertook the task of making sure she was safe and sound. She sighed wistfully.

"A true gentleman." She murmured.

Upon getting properly changed and leaving her room, Orchid could see a few of the other Operators looking at her teasingly as they whispered something that she couldn't catch, which was obviously what happened last night in regards to her being drunk. No doubt that Midnight had spread the rumor, as he was the only other person who knew about their night oyt. She rolled her eyes and continued onward, until she spotted Ranges. He was talking to the Doctor about something, and as she neared, she tapped him on the shoulder.

"Oh, Miss Orchid." Rangers turned to the Doctor. "Excuse me, Doctor." Doctor nodded and Rangers turned to her.

"So, are you feeling better, Miss Orchid?" Rangers asked, and despite his cool tone of voice, Orchid could sense the anticipation behind the question as he awaited her answer. "You were quite intoxicated last night."

"I'm fine, Rangers." She chuckled. "And you know, I never did get to thank you for last night." Orchid said, and Rangers slightly blushed. "For helping me get to my room."

"It's no problem." Rangers said dismissively, although Orchid could tell that he was trying to hide his joy. "Operators need to watch out for one another, and I simply did what any else would do. No reward is necessary." He assured her.

"Well, if you're sure that you don't want one, then that's fine." She said. "I just wanted to give my thanks. Besides, you better get back to talking to the Doctor." She gestured behind Rangers, where the Doctor was patiently waiting for them to finish their conversation.

"Ah, yes." Rangers nodded, and began to turn away, but Orchid reached out and grasped his hand.

"Hm? What is it?" He asked.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to go out sometime next week." She asked. "Last night was really fun with you, and it would mean a lot if you would come again." Rangers raised an eyebrow and scratched his chin, before shrugging.

"Sure. I can come with you again." He said, and Orchid smiled gleefully. "Although this time you have to pay." He added, and Orchid giggled.

"Alright, you overgrown lizard." She remarked, and Rangers chuckled. "I'll pay for all of your drinks."

 

 

~The End~