Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Family Bond
Collections:
Irondad Creators Awards 2021 - Nominations, Amazing never forget, Peter Parker's Bio Parents, MCU Alternate Universes, 55mylistoffavorites, Mafia!Tony Stark Fics That I’ve Read, Irondad Creators Awards 2022, Best fluff and Angst, Irondad Creator Awards 2023
Stats:
Published:
2021-01-22
Completed:
2021-05-07
Words:
74,375
Chapters:
31/31
Comments:
1,361
Kudos:
3,242
Bookmarks:
738
Hits:
108,046

The Ties That Bind Us

Chapter 25

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Happy and his men matched the speed the Shield agents appeared at. The numbers were evened, maybe even slightly in their advantage – Tony didn’t have the time to count.

Peter had no idea what to do. His body refused to cooperate, so all he could do was to stand there, frozen in place. He didn’t think he’d ever seen his parents looking like this before. Like they were ready to take a life at moment’s notice. A hand pushed his body further into Tony’s back, shielding him from the sight of the guns in his parents’ hands.

They came too. But Peter didn’t feel safe at all.

Tony felt one of Peter’s hands weakly grip the back of his shirt. “Okay, first of all, can we put those things away? Kid doesn’t like the sight of guns.” He could practically see Peter’s terrified look. Tony himself was unarmed. Neither was Pepper. Others could handle it.

Geez, Peter’s been through more than enough already and now these people come barging in ruining everything?

“Step aside, Stark,” Mary said, her voice steely. “Peter, come over here.” She threw quick glance at still lowly growling dog that looked ready to lunge at the smallest move.

“How about no,” Tony replied, but his eyes weren’t on her. Instead, he watched the one and only Nick Fury walking towards them like he was on a casual Sunday stroll, Hill right behind him.

The pair stopped next to Parkers. “Stark, let the kid go,” Fury said.

Tony stared back at him, unimpressed. “I already said he’s not going anywhere.” He slid his gaze to Natasha, who was staring down one Shield agent. The poor guy gulped and shifted on his feet. The tiniest smirk appeared on her face, then disappeared as fast when she noticed Tony trying to catch her eye.

Tony’s eyes pointed to the crowd of agents, then his eyes conveyed the silent question. Natasha scanned each face, then gave him subtle shake of her head. No Hydra. Coast clear.

“This is not—”

“You know what, Fury?” Tony rudely cut the man off. “Why don’t you sweep in front of your own porch first and then you can tell me what to do.” He watched as Fury opened his mouth, ready to speak. Tony wouldn’t let him. “The vermin infestation got pretty bad. You should take care of it.”

Maybe it was the way Tony spoke, maybe it was the look in his eyes. But what was important was that Fury snaped his mouth shut. Hill’s eyes slightly narrowed, darting from Tony to her boss. She must’ve caught on the implication as well.

That however didn’t stop a certain man that was angry about Stane dying before he could reveal his secrets. He thought he was close. Unfortunately, he had no idea Stane was merely pulling his leg. “Peter, come here right now!” Richard yelled.

Peter flinched. Tony narrowed his eyes. “Can you stop shouting?” At least Hill gave the douche a side-eye.

“You have no right—” Mary started, only to be cut off by Tony.

“Actually, I have every right, as he’s, you know, my son!”

That seemed to take them aback. “He’s not,” she protested, but her confidence wavered.

“Cut the crap,” Tony scoffed. “We’ve done three paternity tests. Three. And, surprise-surprise, they all came back with the same result. Positive.” Tony leveled them with hard look. These people weren’t here even for five minutes and he already hated them with passion. “Now, put the guns down while I’m asking nicely. I won’t ask another time.”

The Parkers had a conversation with their eyes. Fury made the decision for them. He waved to the rest of the agents, making them do as told. Tony’s team lowered their guns as well. However, all fingers remained close to the triggers.

“Much better. Now, care to explain why you crashed our little party?” Tony knew exactly why. He just wasn’t expecting them to be this bold.

“You know very well why,” Richard hissed. “Damn it, Peter come! Here! Now!”

Oh, how Tony would love to run a bullet through that guy’s skull. “What makes you think he wants to come with you?” he raised his chin, challenging him. He needs to find a way to get Peter out of here. He could feel the kid trembling.

“And what makes you think he wants to be here?” Mary shot back.

“In the end, it’s my choice.”

“A golden cage is still a cage.”

The words echoed in Tony’s mind, and… they were right, weren’t they? This is a choice Peter had to make. This will be a test of their relationship, no matter how risky. But it’s something Tony had to accept.

“Let’s let Peter decide, then,” he said. The sharp inhale from behind him stabbed him in the heart, but he didn’t let that show. He dared the agents to protest.

“Fine,” Mary said lowly.

Tony gently removed Peter’s hand from his shirt. He gave him reassuring squeeze, then he let go. “No funny business,” he told Parkers and began to back away. Friday was still guarding Peter. If something, she could buy them some time.

Peter knew every pair of eyes was on him now. He felt squeamish. He literally stood right in the middle of a choice that will change his life. Both Mr. Stark and his parents were an equal distance from him.

His eyes darted between the two groups. What side should he choose?

On one side – his parents. On the other – Mr. Stark. His dad.

His brain sorted through everything he knew. The good of each side. The bad of each side. Compare. Use logic but listen to your heart too. Memories, experiences, words spoken. Thin walls, guns pointed. Fear, love. Physical contact. Blood. Abandonment. Family. Intimidation. Laughter. Coldness. Affection. Loneliness. Warmth.

The words mixed together, creating one swarming mass. But despite that, he could make out one word in the indistinguishable mess.

Safe.

Peter made the decision. Taking in steadying breath, he closed his eyes… and walked.

“Peter!”

The boy clenched his jaw and lowered his head at the roar coming from behind him. Don’t look. Just keep walking. Gentle hands landed on his shoulders and pulled him in for a hug. He felt like he could exhale now.

“It’s okay. It’s okay,” Tony whispered into his son’s curls, closing his eyes briefly. When he opened them, they were full of ice, pointed at the people standing opposite of him. They were openly seething.

Time to get Peter out of here.

He couldn’t afford to spare Natasha or Clint, as they were the best shooters. Sending Pepper alone was out of question. Steve was able to keep his cool perfectly, so it’s best if he stayed here. Bucky was the best choice – good shooter, basically a killing machine, intimidating for others but gentle with Peter. He’ll be able to protect him if the Shield tried something.

“Barnes,” Tony kept his voice low. His eyes moved to Peter, then to the building.

Bucky understood. He tucked away his gun, placing one hand on Peter’s back when Tony let go and guided him inside. Turning his back to the enemy went against everything he knew. But he knew Steve will be his eyes.

The door closed behind the two, separating them from the conflict. About halfway down the hall, Peter let his back hit the wall. He slid down and covered his mouth. Tears stung in his eyes. He couldn’t breathe. Again.

He forgot all about his parents. Everything was fine. Until it wasn’t.

Bucky kneeled in front of him, wrapped his arms around his small body. “Don’t be afraid. Come on. In. Out.” Bucky had first-hand experience with panic attacks. The memories of Hydra occasionally resurfaced. But there was a difference between him and a child. He wished Sam was here. Sam always knew the right thing to say in situations like these.  “Focus on breathing. Tony will take care of everything.”

Peter’s body kept shaking.

God, he really wished Sam was here.  

 

When Tony was sure Peter was out of earshot, he turned his back to Parkers and walked towards the table. He picked up his glass, turned back to the Parkers and without breaking eye contact, took a sip of apple juice.

No drinking alcohol around his kid.

“Now we can talk more freely. So, what do you want here?” he tilted his head. He knew, but he wanted to hear it from them.

Richard straightened his back, naturally responding to Tony’s challenging look. “Stane’s dead.”

“You kidnapped Peter,” Mary added.

“How tragic,” Tony said, matter-of-factly before his eyes shifted to the woman. “And, no, I did not.” Technically, he wasn’t lying. Barton and Barnes did that. And also… “That was Beck.”

“Beck?” Mary scoffed, not believing a word Tony said.

“Yeah,” Tony took another sip. “I would say ‘go and ask him’, but I heard he went to live to a nice farm up north where he can run free.” Tony couldn’t help the smile on his face.

“Stop messing around, Stark. We wouldn’t give you Stane back and he got killed just before he was supposed to be shipped off to the Raft.” Richard was beginning to lose his patience. “We know you did it.”

“Do you have any sort of proof? Because from the way you talk, it sounds like you do.” Tony put the glass down and took a step forward. “I didn’t kill Stane,” another technicality, “and honestly? If he messed with wrong people, then he deserved what was coming.”

Tony paced, as if there weren’t any weapons ready to shoot him. He would prefer to have his suit on him. “I have a theory about what is going on inside your heads. You think that I kidnapped a kid to use him to get Stane back. But now he’s dead and you… what? Think that I’m going to get rid of someone that holds no value anymore?” The words tasted bitter on his tongue, but he needed to sell the act. “A death of a civilian would look bad on you, I assume. Or!” he exclaimed, “you were counting on Pete to die so you could go and cry that big scary man killed a child. Oh, boo-hoo,” he stuck out his bottom lip and rubbed his eye.

“Quit your games. We know you’re holding him here against his will! Bring him out—”

“A-ah-ah,” Tony held up his finger, “see, this is where you’re all wrong. You’ve seen it, didn’t you? Peter made his own choice to stay here. He was given space, literally, to decide on his own on what he wants to do. He’s fifteen. He’s got his own head.”

“He’s fourteen,” Mary corrected.

He couldn’t believe these people. “Are you serious?” Tony looked at her as if she was the dumbest person he’d ever seen. “You really forgot your own son’s birthday? I would say nothing if it was him,” he pointed at Richard, “but you? Wow. At least I had my mother when I was growing up, but you two straight up suck! And it was his birthday party that we were having that you crashed and ruined, by the way. I would offer you some cake, but you’ve done nothing to deserve it. You don’t deserve him.”

“Doesn’t matter, he’s coming with us, whether you like it or not.”

This man didn’t know when to shut up, did he?

“Are you deaf? He’s not. And for what? To leave him alone in that apartment again? What’s up with that anyway?” Tony’s eyes hardened. Anger began to bubble in his chest. “What kind of parents let a thirteen-year-old kid live on his own? Not to mention after the passing of the people that raised him. He’s too young to get emancipated.” Tony let the implication of his words sink in. “I’m pretty sure what you did can be classified as child abandonment.”

“Why you—”

The guns on both sides rose again. Tony was about to go off and speak his mind. Luckily Pepper, bless her soul, chose that moment to loudly clear her throat. Tony could see a mask of professionalism slip over her face with practiced ease. She might not be able to kill a man like them, but once she opens her mouth and she looked like that, you’ll wish you were dead.

“Excuse me for interrupting,” she stepped next to Tony, “but as you’re aware, you’re trespassing on a private property. I would like to see if you have a warrant to be here?” Her voice was polite, but sharp. “If you do, then feel free to search the place. Everything you find here is here legally.” Always be insured.

“If you have no such document, I will have to ask you to leave. Otherwise, authorities will be alerted,” she finished with pointed smile.

Oh, how Tony loved this woman. The group of Shield agents exchanged glances before they looked at Fury that was silently observing the whole exchange.

“All right,” he said. “Fall back. We’re leaving.”

Hill looked at him with raised eyebrow.

“What?” Richard asked in disbelief.

Mary looked at him with wide eyes. “But sir, we can—"

“I said we’re leaving,” Fury said sternly before looking Tony straight in the eye. That look told Tony that this won’t be the last time he’ll hear from him.

“Well, you heard the lady and the pirate. Get out of here. Now!” Tony mockingly copied the tone Richard used on Peter before. Like hell he was letting his kid leave with these people.

“This is not over. We’ll be back for him,” Mary said.

“You can try. Though, be aware of what you’re getting yourself into.”

“Are you threatening us?”

“Just a friendly warning,” Tony replied.

The team watched as Shield agents boarded the vans and drove away. Nobody moved. For a second, Tony wondered whether he should send the organization the bill for ruined lawn just to be petty. Usually, he would entertain the idea, but the whole situation left him feel like snapping someone’s neck with his bare hands.

Soft hands landed on his cheeks. Pepper must have noticed the state he was in. He placed his own hands over hers and closed his eyes.

“We won’t allow them to take him,” she spoke softly. The rest of the team murmured in agreement. Tony nodded to himself.

He glanced at the table. Yeah, there will be no partying anymore today. “Clean this up,” he said to the men nearby as he walked past them, his own team following behind.

He needed to check on his kid.

Notes:

I originally wanted to arrange the chapters so it would end before Peter's decision, but that would be too cruel of a cliffhanger. And you have no idea how long I've waited to use that "farm where he can run free" line.

Thank you for your constant support, for the votes if you voted and have a wonderful weekend. Love you all.