Actions

Work Header

Teenage Dreams, Teenage Circus

Summary:

“You’d really leave me hanging?” Ed pulled a pathetic face halfway between a sad puppy and a deep grimace. “But I’m your brother.”
“You’re the worst, is what you are,” Al replied.
“Maybe Winry’ll make an apple pie."

***

Ed, Al, Winry, and friends and the weird, chaotic, text-message-y, idiotic, love-struck, swear word filled, tragic backstory, parents just don't understand, trouble-making, awkward, and interesting days of high school.

Chapter 1: it's only teenage wasteland

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

E: winry.

W: Edward.

E: i need ur help

W: What’d you do to your leg?

E: how do u kno it has anything to do with my leg?

W: Because you only text or call when it does??

E: thats not tru

W: It definitely is. Al texts all the time. You? Never. Unless you did something to your prosthetic.

W: So what’d you do?

E: …how do u kno it was me that did something?

W: Knew it.

E: what would u do if it was someone ELSE who did something?? huh??

W: I would call you a liar.

E: IT WASNT MY FAULT LING ATTACKED ME

W: …who?

E: friend from school

W: He attacked you?

E: more or less

W: Lmao nice try

W: What do you need?

E: knee wont bend also i think i need an adjustment anyway

W: Is this your way of trying to say you got taller?

E: fuck yes it is

E: i can get a pass for this weekend

E: please

W: You know, we’re very busy. Can’t just drop everything because you decided to be an idiot.

E: but you will?

W: We’re going to charge you so much for this.

E: send the bill to hohenheim

W: Your father is not to blame for your stupidity.

W: I deserve earrings.

E: what?! im still paying for the set i bought three months ago

W: Not my problem.

E: crazy gearhead

W: Chemistry freak.

***

Al was deep in geometry homework, earbuds in, focus on, brow furrowed, when he felt something hard hit the back of his shoulders. He lurched forward with both a surprised and pained “gah!” and pulled out his headphones with difficulty as the person behind him was still leaning hard on his back.

“Get off, Brother!” Al said, trying to twist around to face Ed. Ed responded by letting more of his body weight fall on Al’s back. He hunched further over, getting closer to the table in front of him, as the end of Ed’s ponytail started to obstruct his vision.

“I need you to drive me home on Saturday,” Ed said.

“Can you get off please so we can talk like normal people?” Al responded.

Ed sighed but picked himself up off of Al and sat in the chair next to him. Al straightened and rubbed his neck, turning toward Ed.

“What do you want?”

“I need you to drive me home on Saturday,” Ed repeated, stretching out his legs and dropping his bag on the floor.

“For what?”

“I need my leg adjusted. Winry said she’d do it.”

“No.” Al turned back to his homework and tried putting his earbuds back in.

Ed slapped them out of Al's hands. “C’mon, help me out.”

“Why can’t you drive yourself?”

“Because I fucking hate driving.”

“I’m supposed to study with May on Saturday.”

Ed groaned. “You can spend one Saturday not drooling over May.”

“I do not drool,” Al grumbled, a blush rising to his cheeks.

“You’d really leave me hanging?” Ed pulled a pathetic face halfway between a sad puppy and a deep grimace. “But I’m your brother.”

“You’re the worst, is what you are,” Al said.

“Maybe Winry’ll make an apple pie,” Ed offered.

Al stopped as he reached for his pencil. He considered then sighed heavily.

“Fine!” Al resigned. “But you better make sure of it.”

“Thanks, Brother,” Ed said clapping Al on the shoulder.

“So what’d you do to Ling?” Al asked.

“For fuck’s sake, he attacked me!” Ed exclaimed.

“I don’t believe that for a second,” Al snorted.

“He did! I was walking to Hughes’s class and all of a sudden, he comes out of fucking nowhere and jumps on my back, trying to get me to give him a piggyback ride!”

Al laughed. “That’s a pretty lame attack, Brother.”

“Fuck, whatever. He still fucked up my leg.”

“Wasn’t your leg already messed up from you trying to prove to Ling you could do a back handspring? ” Al asked.

Ed shrugged. “Yeah, but Winry doesn’t need to know that. And anyway, Ling’s still a fucking bastard. And, as you probably remember, I did do that back handspring, thank you very fucking much.”

“Edward!” The librarian popped out her head from behind a shelf, making Ed and Al jump. She pushed her round glasses up her nose. “Enough with the language!”

“Sorry, Miss Sheska,” Ed grumbled.

Miss Sheska nodded and disappeared into the shelves.

“God, does she ever sit at her desk,” Ed said in a low tone, “or does she just creep around in the shelves?”

“May thinks she’s built a house out of books in the back of the library and that she actually lives here,” Al said as he started to pack up his stuff.

“Where are you going?” Ed asked not coming out of his relaxed position.

“Don’t we need to go to Mustang to get a pass?”

“Yeah, but I was going to wait until last minute tomorrow for the effect.”

“The effect of him saying no?” Al asked as he stood.

“Like he’s going to say no to a one-legged teenager asking to go home for a prosthetic readjustment.”

“But in this case, the one-legged teenager is you so yes, he would. Plus if you’re dragging me into this, we’re doing this the way we’re supposed to.”

Ed groaned, grabbed his bag, and stood up, following Al out of the library.

“You just always want to be seen as the good brother,” Ed sneered.

“Exactly, that’s why I’ll never get caught with things and you always will.”

“You’ve been here three months,” Ed shot back. “Give it some time.”

***

“So, what’d you do to your leg that you have to leave campus?”

Ed rolled his eyes, already regretting the decision to do things the right way like Al wanted to do. Staring across the desk at Mustang - his student advisor - he was deeply annoyed that he didn’t have the upper hand like he would’ve if he came for the pass at the last minute.

“Just tweaked it,” he grumbled. “Need an adjustment.”

“You and Ling getting into trouble?”

“No.”

“Really? Ms Hawkeye said you were roughhousing in the hallway again this morning. And she also recalled you doing backflips during study hall.”

Ed narrowed his eyes at Mustang but said nothing. Of course Hawkeye had told Mustang; Ed so badly wanted to ask why he was the topic of Mustang and Hawkeye’s pillow talk, but even he wasn’t stupid enough to say that.  

“And you’re going for the day? Or the full weekend?” Mustang asked, looking over his hands at Ed. Although he couldn’t actually see his mouth behind his hands, Ed knew that Mustang had that self-satisfied smile that made Ed want to punch him in the teeth.

“The weekend,” Ed responded. “Adjustments take time.”

“Where is it exactly you’re going to have this done?”

“Resembool. Where we live when we’re not locked up here.”

“You have a live-in mechanic?” 

“Her and her grandmother are basically family,” Al cut in. “We’ve lived there for a couple years now.”

Mustang’s eyes floated over to Al as Ed sulked. He knew why Al was the trusted one out of the two of them, but it didn’t make things any less annoying - especially considering he should have the bonus of being not only the older brother but the junior versus the freshman.

After a few moments, Mustang finally unfolded his hands, reached into his desk, and pulled out his pass book. After writing them up, he gave a pass to Al. Ed reached for his, only to have Mustang snatch it back.

“This time,” Mustang said, “actually give your pass to the office before you leave instead of after the fact.”

“Yeah yeah yeah,” Ed said, finally taking his pass and standing up.

“I can and will revoke privileges again.”

“Okay! Whatever,” Ed said, already turning to leave.

“Before you leave though - “ Mustang reached into his desk, pulled out a stack of papers, and thrust them into Ed’s hands.

“What are these?” Ed asked.

“Sophomore quizzes,” Mustang said with a sly smile. “Since you’ll have time at home, you should be able to grade them.”

“What?!” Ed practically shouted.

“I’ll be going through your class’s tests so I’d appreciate the help,” Mustang said, spinning his chair to face away from them. “And don’t forget, you agreed to the aide position, so now you have to do the work.”

Ed opened up his mouth to say something, but a quick glance from Al shut him up. He shoved the quizzes in his bag.

“Fine,” Ed relented.

“Enjoy your time at home,” Mustang said as they walked out the door.

“I swear to fuck,” Ed snapped once they were out of range of Mustang’s office door, “if he weren’t a teacher, I would punch him.”

“How you haven’t gotten expelled yet, I’ll never know,” Al said.

“They can’t expel me,” Ed replied. “I’m a chemistry prodigy. Amestris Prep is lucky to have me.”

“And you’ll never let them forget it.”

“Damn right. Also, if they expel me, who’s going to do Mustang’s job for him?”

***

E: Al wants an apple pie.

W: You boys are SO much work.

Notes:

*Dusts cobwebs off fanfiction writing skills* This is an attempt. Maybe the attempt will get better? Only time will tell.

Chapter Title: 'baba o'riley' - the who

Chapter 2: country roads

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was only noon, but Winry could feel the grease drying on her face from the hours it had already sat there. She pulled her goggles off with a sigh, then pulled her bandana out of her hair to rub her face. She only had a minute to sit with her eyes closed before she heard a car pulling up the drive and Den barking at the door.

Winry’s eyes snapped open and she smiled despite herself. Even though she had protested, she knew she wasn’t actually mad to have her boys back home, even if it was just for the weekend. She knew it would be filled with yelling and nagging and limb adjustments, but it wouldn’t really be home without those things.

Then she heard the muffled shouts of Ed and Granny and knew the weekend had officially started.

She stood, rolling up the sleeves of her coveralls and putting the bandana back in her hair as she stepped out onto the front balcony.

“If you need adjustments,” she heard her Granny saying, “you know you should be earlier than this.”

“At least he let us know he was coming this time,” Winry called down, leaning on the balcony rail. “It was still last minute notice as usual though.”

The boys looked up at her in tandem - ever in sync, she thought to herself. Al beamed at her while Ed had his usual scowl plastered on his face.

“For fuck’s sake,” Ed said, leaning into the backseat and emerging with his bag over his shoulder. “We haven’t even been here for five minutes and it’s already shit-on-Ed time.”

“And if you keep cussing like that, it’ll be hit-Ed-with-my-pipe time,” Granny said, pointing her pipe with threatening emphasis.

Winry laughed, Ed glaring daggers at her. “Welcome home,” she said.

Even from the distance, she could see Ed roll his eyes as he pushed his bangs out of his face. “Yeah, yeah. Good to see you.”

She turned on her heels and walked back inside, making her way down the stairs as the boys followed Granny into the house. Al immediately dropped his bag on the floor and gave her a hug as Den continued to bark and weave between Ed’s legs.

“We’ve missed having you around,” Winry said as he lets go.

“I’ve missed being here,” Al admitted. “You know what else I’ve missed?”

“There’s pie in the kitchen,” Winry said with an eye roll but a smile.

Al practically bounced passed her, throwing a “thank you!” over his shoulder.

Ed stretched as he tried to follow Al. “Yeah, thanks, Win.”

Winry stuck her arm out to block Ed’s path, causing him to stop short. She narrowed her eyes. “Not you.”

“Oh come on-“

“Nope. I can see you limping on that leg. You messed it up and needed the fix, it starts now. But first.”

Winry turned the palm of her outstretched hand up expectantly. Ed groaned but dug in his pocket and pulled a small, black box out. Winry bit back the smile that was dangerously close to spreading across her face as she opened it. She couldn’t help it - she liked shiny, metal things.

She snapped the box shut. “Payment accepted. Upstairs. Now.” She turned him around by the shoulders and pushed him up the stairs as he grumbled.

“Just don’t punch any more holes in your ears, okay?” Ed said. “You won’t have any ear left.”

“My ears are just fine, thanks,” she said pushing him into her workshop. “But sweet to know you care.”

“Gearhead weirdo,” Ed mumbled.

“Hey.” She rounded on him, a wrench in her hand that she pointed in Ed’s face. “You messed up your leg being stupid and texted last minute for a fix which I gave up my weekend to do. You do not get to call me names.”

Ed raised his hands in surrender. “Okay, okay, geez.”

“Thank you,” Winry said. “Now, let’s see what you’ve done.”

Winry turned as Ed started to undo his belt but then turned back. “And take off that sweatshirt, please.”

“What? Why?”

“Because it’s aggressive. And also incredibly old.”

Winry was only partially offended by the bright red color of Ed’s sweatshirt, but it wouldn’t be a true reunion if she didn’t mention it at least once. There was something about pushing Ed’s buttons that she enjoyed - the challenge that she gave to him and the challenge he threw back.

She still wished, though, that he would take better care of his leg. Minutes later, her and Granny were kneeling next to Ed’s leg as he and Al munched on the pie Al had brought up with him.

“Edward, how exactly did you mess it up this badly?” Winry scolded.

“Ling said he couldn’t do a back handspring and Ed went to prove him wrong and when he landed, we all heard something pop,” Al said through a mouthful of pie.

“Traitor!” Ed hissed.

“I thought you were attacked,” Winry said, smacking him on the shoulder.

“That too!” Ed exclaimed. “That was what really messed it up, I’m telling you!”

Winry ran a hand over her face. “Why do we put up with this?”

“We have no choice,” Al offered.

Ed grinned. “I also buy you earrings.”

Winry groaned but said nothing as she watched Granny measure Ed’s leg.

“We do need to make size adjustments too,” Granny said to Winry.

“I told you I’ve gotten taller,” Ed shot at Winry.

“Only took you 17 years to grow,” Winry shot back. Ed proceeded to flip her off which earned him smacks on the shoulder from both Winry and Granny.

Winry took the temporary leg reserved for Ed from beside her workbench. “Switch out please.”

“How long will the adjustment take?” Ed asked passing his leg over.

“Depends on how much you bug me,” Winry said sitting down at her workbench and pulling on her goggles.

“But what would you do if we didn’t bug you?” Ed stretched out on the bed in the corner as Al tucked his legs up and leaned against the wall.

“We?” Al said. “I think it’s just you that bugs her.”

Again, Winry fought the smile that was trying to cross her face. She was secretly happy when they decided to stay and chat as she worked. Besides only piping in for a comment or two, it was good working noise to hear them talk about their school life.

“Even during the day, Winry,” Al was saying a half-hour later, “he insists on wearing his sweatshirt.”

“If I have to be forced to wear a uniform, I’m going to at least give it a cool flair,” Ed responded.

“Your sweatshirt is not cool, Ed,” Winry said as she tightened a screw.

“Yes it is, you just have no taste.”

“Lan Fan told me you have the most uniform citations of anyone in the school,” Al said. “Between the sweatshirt and your hair-“

“They write you up for your hair?” Winry asked.

“We’re supposed to keep it short,” Ed said, “but that they eventually gave up on that once Ling joined in.”

And so it went for hours as Winry worked. Eventually, Den came in to curl up next to Al on the bed and Granny brought up dinner so that Winry could continue working. It was a lost cause, though; with dinner, Winry finally turned around to properly talk to them.

“And he’s so in love with her, it’s ridiculous,” Ed said as he chewed.

“Can you please not talk with your mouth full?” Winry groaned.

“I am not in love with her!” Al exclaimed, his face starting to turn pink. “I just…enjoy spending time with her.”

“I’m not surprised you’ve found a girlfriend in such a short amount of time, Al,” Winry teased.

“She’s not my girlfriend!”

“You let her call you ‘Alphonse’,” Ed said. “What else could she be?”

“She’s a freshman too?” Winry asked.

“Yeah, she’s Ling’s half-sister,” Ed said with a nod. “I wish you had chosen someone to like besides that bastard’s family.”

“I thought Ling was your friend.”

“He is, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a bastard. And I’d prefer not to be related to him, even if distantly through Al and May’s marriage.”

“You guys are the worst,” Al grumbled. “Just because you’ve been at that school for three years and no one’s even a little bit interested-“

“Fuck you!” Ed exclaimed as he grew red in the face. “Rose definitely likes me and I’ve hooked up with Noah a few times and she still talks about when we-“

“Please!” Winry cut him off, turning back to work on Ed’s leg. “I do not want to know any more information.”

“Me neither,” Al agreed, wrinkling his nose.

“Have you asked her out?” Winry asked Al.

“No, because he’s a wuss,” Ed cut in before Al had a chance to speak.

“We have a standing study session every Saturday,” Al answered, “which I gave up today to drive you here.”

“Whatever.”

“You should ask her to the Amestris-Central winter dance in two weeks,” Winry said casually.

“The what?” Al asked.

“Oh fuck, not that thing.” Even though she wasn’t looking, Winry could hear the eye roll in Ed’s voice.

“It’s a winter dance they do every year between Amestris Prep and Central High right before the break,” Winry said. “Since we’re the only schools in the area, they want us to all get along or something. The winter dance is at Central, the spring one is at Amestris.”

“Oh,” Al said. He thought for a moment. “That might be fun.”

“It’s fucking lame,” Ed said.

“How would you know?” Winry asked. “You’ve never been.”

“How do you know I’ve never been?”

“Because I've gone the past two years.”

She heard the bed creak behind her and turned her head to see Ed sitting up straight.

“You do?” The surprise was evident in Ed’s voice.

“Yes, I do,” Winry said, pushing her goggles up. “Why is that so surprising?”

“I mean, I don’t know, it’s like a date thing, isn’t it?”

Winry whipped her grease rag at Ed, smacking him in the face. “Are you saying no one would ask me on a date?”

“That’s pretty rude, Brother,” Al nodded.

“No!” Ed said. “That’s not-I didn’t mean-“

Ed continued to sputter as Al gave him a sly grin and Winry watched him try and defend himself with annoyance.

“For your information,” Winry said, crossing her arms, “I have been asked to go to the dance as a date but I usually go with Paninya.”

“Why?” Ed asked, trying his best to recover.

“Because it’s FUN, Edward,” Winry said. “Just because you have the social skills of a teaspoon, doesn’t mean the rest of us do.”

“Do Ling and Lan Fan not go?” Al said to Ed.

“Is that Ling’s girlfriend?” Winry asked as she turned back around.

Ed snorted. “Ling wishes. There’s definitely something going on there, but he’s too chicken shit to do anything.”

“Sounds like someone else I know,” Winry heard Al say under his breath.

“You better be talking about yourself,” Ed responded, punching Al on the shoulder. “And yes, they have gone before, I just don’t go with them.”

“But you’ll go this year, right?” Al said hopefully.

Ed groaned. “Why do you need me to go if you’re going on a date?”

“Because it would be better if we all went as a group! It takes the pressure off!”

“He’s right,” Winry said without looking up.

“And you need to socialize more and it would make me feel better if you were there,” Al continued.

“I need to socialize more?!” Ed shouted.

“Oh come on, Ed,” Winry chimed in. “Just go. It would be nice to see you in a setting that isn’t prefaced by you messing up your leg.”

“Oh really?” Ed said, and Winry rolled her eyes at his sly tone of voice.

“Never mind, I take it back. I wish to never see you again.”

“But I keep your life so interesting.”

“Please, Ed,” Al begged. “You owe me for driving you here today!”

Ed huffed. “Fine! I’ll go to the stupid fucking dance.”

“Thank you. Now how do we get you to wear something other than your sweatshirt?”

“Fucking hell, are you kidding?!”

“Do you think we’ll be able to get him to dance?” Winry teased, shooting a glance over her shoulder.

Ed threw her grease rag back at her. “I hate you both.”

“But we keep your life so interesting," Winry said with a smile.

Ed rolled his eyes. “You’re hilarious.”

 

Notes:

Setting a dangerous precedent posting two chapters two days in a row. I blame quarantine and my inability to hold onto already written material.

chapter title: 'take me home, country roads' - john denver

Chapter 3: people connect for a minute or two

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A: Winry please help me!!

W: What did Ed do?

A: Nothing this time. I don’t know how to ask May to the dance!!

W: Awww Al!

A: Please don’t “aww” me. Ed wouldn’t stop making fun of me this morning

W: Okay, okay

W: I am rescinding the “aww”

A: Thank you. Now what do I say?!

W: What we talked about! Say we’re going as a group!

A: But what if Ed hasn’t told Ling and Lan Fan yet? I’m guessing he hasn’t. I don’t want it to seem like I just made that up!

W: Well, you can say that I’ll be there with Paninya. 

W: We can also plan to come back here!

A: Really?!

W: Yes! It’ll be fun!

W: It’ll give you guys a chance to hang out more. And I can hang out with your friends.

A: Haha thanks Winry. Granny won’t mind?

W: To be honest, I think she’d secretly love it.

W: She's never actually mad about a house full of people.

***

Al gripped his pencil tightly, biting his lip and occasionally throwing nervous glances at the girl sitting across from him in the library. Luckily for him, May didn’t notice; she was staring intensely at her notebook with her brow furrowed and twirling a stray piece from her braids that had fallen across her face. The fact that this made her look incredibly cute did not help Al’s nervousness in the slightest.

It’s not a big deal, Al thought to himself. It’s a group thing. No pressure. Just something fun.

He cleared his throat. “So-“

“Does this look right?” May asked, pushing her notebook over to Al.

“Um.” Al looked down. “I think so, that’s what I got.”

May shook her braids out of her face triumphantly and took her notebook back. “I think I’ve finally got the hang of geometric sequences. I can’t wait to be done with these, I think I’m starting to write sequences in my sleep.”

Al smiled. “At least you’re getting practice.”

“True. I’ll be totally prepared for midterms.” She took her notebook back and sighed. “I’m definitely not looking forward to them.”

This was it. This was the moment.

“Well,” Al said twiddling his thumbs, “I can give you something to look forward to after midterms, if you want.”

May looked up and stared at him. Al could feel his cheeks starting to turn pink so he looked down at this hands.

“There’s, um, this dance right before the break,” Al continued.

“Oh right,” May responded casually. “I think I saw the poster about it near the office.”

“Yeah.” Al could feel his heart rate pick up speed and then he started to ramble. “It’s between Amestris Prep and Central High which is close to my house in Resembool, Winry told me about it-“

“Who’s Winry?” May said, wrinkling her nose.

“She’s a family friend,” Al said quickly. “She’s almost like my sister. We grew up together and me and Ed live with her and her Granny.”

“Oh.” May’s face smoothed. “Okay then.”

“Well, Winry said it’s fun, her and her friend Paninya go every year, and Ed said he’s going and so is your brother and Lan Fan, we’re going as a big group to the dance and then we can go back to Winry’s house after and I thought maybe you’d like to come with us.”

May smiled. “Sure. That sounds like fun.”

Al grinned, knowing he looked ridiculous but not caring. “Yeah! Cool!”

“I can’t believe Ed is going to go to a dance,” May said. “He seems too…high strung for that.”

“That is a very polite way of saying obnoxious.”

May laughed and Al felt butterflies rise in his stomach. “I am a lady, I would never say something like that,” she guffawed sarcastically. “However, he is friends with my brother so-“

“You called?” Ling slid into the chair next to May who shot him a glare.

“I’m sorry, I don’t remember inviting you to sit there,” May said briskly.

“Apology accepted,” Ling said pushing his bangs out of his face. “Now, who am I friends with?”

“Ed,” Al said.

Ling considered for a moment. “I wouldn’t say ‘friend’ is the right word. I’d say ‘nemesis’, ‘superior to’, ‘rival’ -“

“You think far too highly of yourself,” May responded.

Ling pulled a bag of chips out of his backpack. “What did Ed do this time?”

“He’s going to a dance, apparently, with the rest of us,” May said.

Ling practically choked. “Edward Elric is going to a dance?!”

“We’re going as a group,” Al explained. “So he decided to come. Our childhood friend, Winry, is going too, she goes to Central, and they’re practically married so-“

“Excuse me?” Ling said leaning forward suspiciously. “Edward has a lady friend?”

Al silently chastised himself. Ed was going to kill him.

“Well, no, not exactly,” Al said, trying to do some mental gymnastics to make this better. “We grew up with her and they just fight a lot like an old married couple but they’re not together or anything.”

Ling folded his hands in front of his face. “Interesting. Very interesting.”

“Leave him alone, Ling,” May said. “Seriously, I do not want to deal with the two of you going after each other if we’re all going to this dance together.”

“Me? Why, I would never,” Ling said as he pulled his phone out of his back pocket.

“Maybe Al and I will ditch all of you and go just the two of us.”

Al felt his face suddenly flush. “I think that’s a good plan. If things with them go too far, you know.”

“I think we can probably count on that,” May said as they both watched Ling typing.

“He’s in Mustang’s class so we have some time,” Ling said putting his phone down.

“It’s so cute how you have each other’s schedules memorized,” May said, poking Ling on the shoulder.

“Oh, Winry also said we could go back to our house after,” Al said to Ling.

“Your house?” Ling said through a mouthful of chips.

“I mean, her house,” Al clarified. “But me and Ed live there when we’re not here.”

Ling nodded without saying anything, but Al could see the gears turning in his head. Al suddenly wondered how much they knew about his and Ed’s childhood. Knowing his brother, they probably knew very little, if anything at all.

“Well,” Ling finally said, standing and gathering his stuff. “That sounds like an excellent time. I’m sure Lan Fan will also be happy with this plan. We’ll bring the whiskey.”

“You’ll what?” Al said, surprised.

Ling turned and waved. “See you later.”

Al shook his head. “I think we might regret this.”

“With Ling and Ed,” May said, “everything is regrettable.”

***

Winry stood at her locker, trying to fit her books into her backpack as she was jostled by the students trying to leave the building as quickly as possible. She understood the hurry to leave, but she couldn’t understand why everyone had to shove each other so much. 

She suddenly heard someone land on the locker next to her, and turned to see Paninya leaning against it. Or, at least, she attempting to lean - it was more she was pushed into the locker, but she had transformed the move into a casual lean as only Paninya could do.

“So,” Paninya said, “I heard you’re ditching me for Russell at the dance.”

Winry rolled her eyes. “God no. You’d think after turning him down for every dance for two years, he would get the hint.”

“Maybe he thought junior year would be his lucky year.”

Winry closed her locker and threw her bag over her shoulder. “Well, this year he completely struck out. All he needed to say was ‘soo’ and I immediately cut him off.”

Paninya laughed, a grin crossing her tan face. “Harsh. I couldn’t be prouder. What is our plan for the dance?”

“Oh, I thought I mentioned already,” Winry said as they joined the crowd of students exiting. “We’re going to meet up with Al and Ed and their friends-“

“Wait, wait, pause,” Paninya cut in. “Ed is going to a dance?”

“Yeah, Al wore him down.”

Paninya put a hand on her forehead dramatically. “I’m glad there’s still a week and a half until the dance. It’s going to take me at least that long to process this information.”

“I think he really wants the chance to embarrass Al,” Winry said. “We’re going as a group because Al wanted to ask a girl to the dance.”

“Awww!” Paninya practically shrieked. “Our little Al has a crush?!”

“Please don’t do that in front of Al,” Winry said. “He’s already got Ed to deal with and when I aww’d him he told me not to.” As she spoke, she made a mental note to text Ed telling him to back off. 

“I’ll try my best,” Paninya relented. “Anyway, so we’re meeting them at the dance?”

“Yes. Then we’re all going back to mine so Al can further hang out with this girl.”

“Resisting the urge to say how adorable this is. Pinako’s okay with all this?”

“You know Granny,” Winry said as they stepped outside. “She just made a comment about people having to sleep on the floor, but was otherwise fine.”

“They’re all staying?” Paninya asked.

“Well, Al and Ed will be staying anyway because of the break,” Winry explained, “and Granny said she doesn’t want anyone driving that late. Plus, I think she also secretly suspects it won’t be a totally sober night.”

“Speaking of which,” Paninya said, holding out her hand. “You owe me money for the handle I bought.”

“Oh right.” Winry dug in her backpack for her wallet as they walked. “Have you scoped out a new spot to hide it?”

“I have,” Paninya said, accepting Winry’s money with a flourish. “There’s a loose brick right by the exterior gym door behind one of the bushes. Should fit behind it nicely.”

“How the hell did you find out about that?” Winry asked.

Paninya waggled her eyebrows. “I never reveal my secrets.”

Winry shook her head with a laugh. Paninya had stopped surprising her a long time ago, but every once and while she still made her laugh with her weird, secretive nature.

“What’re the chances we can get everyone to play spin the bottle at your house?” Paninya asked.

“Very VERY low,” Winry laughed. “I think Ed would actually beat you with the bottle before he played any kind of game.”

“Oh I’ll get him to do something,” Paninya said. “Personally, I’d like to see a tipsy or drunk Elric and, since Al is basically a saint, I’ll choose Ed.”

“I do wonder what that would be like,” Winry agreed. 

“Maybe he’d actually chill out a little bit,” Paninya said with a snort.

“Doubt it.”

Notes:

Thanks for the comments and kudos! This project is a purely selfish endeavor because I really wanted to write it/see more high school AUs, but it's nice to know people are in there with me.

chapter title: 'lovesick' - maude latour

Chapter 4: brain stew

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed slammed the door of his and Al’s dorm room as hard as he could. Al looked up from the books in front of him to stare across at him. He had a sheepish look on his face which only meant he had seen this coming.

“You mind telling me why Ling is asking me who Winry is?” Ed asked, dropping his bag on the floor. 

Al looked up at the ceiling, a habit Ed knew prefaced a lie. “I told him about going to her house after the dance.”

“Let me rephrase that,” Ed said, getting closer to Al as he spoke. “Why is Ling asking me who MY WIFE Winry is?!”

Al had backed up into the corner his bed made with the wall. “I may or may not have accidentally said you two were practically married.”

Ed immediately dove on Al who couldn’t move in time to get away from Ed’s tackle.

“In my defense!” Al tried to shout as Ed attempted to twist his arm around his back. “I was very flustered because you did not hold up your end of the deal by telling Ling and Lan Fan-“

“Are you SERIOUS?!”

“-that we were all going as a group so I was trying to be cool because May was there and she had JUST agreed to go with the group and all I said was that you fight like an old married couple!”

At this point, Al had managed to shove Ed off of his bed and onto the floor, but Ed was still seething.

“You better sleep with one eye fucking open tonight,” Ed said standing. “He texted me all through Mustang’s class asking me why I had been keeping ‘my lady’ away from him.”

“Okay but did I say something inaccurate?” Al said.

Ed rounded on him. “Yes! Winry is not my girlfriend, I don’t have a crush on her.”

Al smiled his stupid, sly smile. “Who said anything about having a crush? I just said you fight like an old married couple.”

“Oh, fuck off,” Ed said, picking up one of Al’s books from the floor and hurling it at him.

“Do you want to tell me something, Brother?”

“Seriously. Slow and painful death in the middle of the night.” Ed threw another one of Al’s books at him before going back to the door to kick his shoes off.

“Changing the subject,” Al said. “I have a question for you.”

“Here’s the answer: fuck off.”

“Do Ling and Lan Fan know about the fire?”

Ed briefly froze mid-taking his sock off. He tried to act like the question hadn’t caught him off guard, but he could feel his hands shaking.

“Nope,” Ed answered quickly.

“Why not?” Al asked.

Ed shrugged as he turned to sink into his bed, pushing down memories of his childhood that had started to creep into his mind. “Hasn’t come up.” 

“Really? Ling has never asked about your leg? Or the scars on your shoulder? He’s not exactly delicate about asking questions.”

Ed closed his eyes and shrugged again as he tried to play casual. “Not really.”

Al was silent, but Ed could read into it. He refused to look at Al; he knew that Al didn’t believe him. The truth was, Ling had asked more than once. The first time he asked, neither of them were completely sober and Ed had punched him. In his own defense, Ling had not asked in a delicate way. 

From there, though, it had almost become a running joke where Ling would come up with different scenarios. 

“Eaten by a shark?” “Piranha actually.” “Right, because you’re so short.” “Fuck off.”

“Fist fight with a bear.” “Yeah, you should see what he looks like.” “Probably fine.”

“Mustang cut it off.” “He actually gnawed it off with his teeth, he’s out of control!”

None of Ling’s guesses had ever gotten very close to the truth and he had never sincerely asked Ed again after their drunken fist fight, so he had never told him or Lan Fan.

The silence stretched out between Ed and Al as Al waited for Ed to tell the truth, which made Ed increasingly more frustrated as the memories further pushed themselves to the forefront of his brain. He could almost smell the smoke.

“Did you get your date?” Ed grumbled.

He looked over at Al, who was suddenly beaming.

“I did,” Al said triumphantly.

Ed couldn’t help but smile. “Al and May sitting in a tree,” he sang softly.

Al threw a pillow at him. “She did say if you and Ling become intolerable, we would just ditch you guys and go together.”

Ed rolled his eyes. “We are not intolerable. And I think she was trying to subtly hint that she’d like to go AS YOUR DATE and not part of a group.”

Ed looked over and laughed at the blush that started to cross Al’s face. “Don’t worry,” Ed said, waving him off. “As long as you ask her to dance, she’ll be fine.”

“Are you going to ask Winry to dance?” Al asked, the sly smile returning.

“Okay, I’m taking a nap now,” Ed said rolling onto his side.

“I think you should.”

“And I think you can fucking choke.”

**

W: Okay couple of things.

E: i didnt do anything i swear

W: Not going to comment on how suspicious that sounds

W: But not why I’m texting

E: oh

W: First thing: Leave your brother alone.

E: WTF i just told u i didnt do anything!!

W: But I know you and I know you’re probably making fun of him for his “date”

W: And you’re probably planning on embarrassing him further at the dance

E: whats even the point of going if i cant tell them to make room for the holy spirit while theyre slow dancing??

W: To have fun??

E: that IS fun

W: Okay second thing: Pinako is making everyone stay after the dance so make sure your friends know

E: y??

W: She doesn’t want anyone driving

E: lan fan’s gonna dd for ling, theyre covered

E: plus me and ed are already staying

W: She said she doesn’t want anyone driving because it’s going to be late

E: yeh sure

E: pinako knos whats up

W: Either way, no one is driving home

E: fine

E: y r u telling me? i thought al was the responsible one

W: Because I had to tell you the first thing. And I wanted to know if anyone was planning on drinking, Al would never tell me that.

W: But you would so thanks for the confirmation

E: im blocking ur number

W: Will this be your first time drinking? Want me to hold your hair back while you puke?

E: for ur info ive never thrown up after drinking

W: So you have been drunk before!

E: i mean i dont make a habit of it

E: y?

W: Paninya was wondering if you would chill out. I said unlikely.

E: seriously im blocking u

W: I bet you’re a huge light weight.

E: goodBYE gearhead

W: Good luck on your midterms!

E: yeh yeh u too

***

The cafeteria, usually buzzing with noise, was almost silent as students absently ate over open textbooks and notes. It was only the first day of midterms, but Ed already felt like his brain was going to leak out of his skull. Luckily, his next exam was chemistry so he could actually relax a bit during lunch.

Or at least he thought he could. No sooner had he sat at an open table before Ling and Lan Fan both slid in next to him, notebooks open.

“We need help with chemistry,” Lan Fan said.

Ed groaned. “Seriously? I thought I could actually avoid thinking during lunch today.” 

“You think during lunch?” Ling said. “You think ever?”

“And you think insulting me is going to get me to help you?” Ed said with a glare. 

“If you help me,” Lan Fan continued, “I won’t make you pay be back for the booze I bought.”

“Deal,” Ed said.

“And what about me?” Ling asked.

“You can choke,” Ed responded.

“Just copy off of me,” Lan Fan said with an eye roll. 

“Good luck with that,” Ed said. “I bet you get busted within ten minutes.”

“I’ll take that bet,” Ling said as he stole one of Ed’s french fries. “I’m a ninja. If I win, I don’t have to pay you back for lunch yesterday.”

“You wouldn’t have paid me back for that anyway!” Ed exclaimed. “You never pay me back for lunch, even though your family has more money than fucking God.”

“Like your father can’t afford it either,” Ling mumbled as he chewed another fry.

Ed bristled instantly at the word ‘father’. He hadn’t called Hohenheim by that name since he was 6 and hated when other people referred to him as such. Besides throwing him and Al money, he was far from being “father of the year”, let alone a father at all.

He hadn’t realized how his disgust showed on his face until Lan Fan said to Ling, “Don’t piss him off before he helps me. This is the first time I actually need him for something.”

“Gee thanks,” Ed mumbled. “Tell me what you need help with so I can go back to eating.”

“How do I interpret this equation to get molecule and mole relationships?” Lan Fan asked, pushing her notebook over.

Ed glanced down, putting a fry in his mouth, before taking her pencil. “First, you use the coefficients to get the molecular and mole ratios-“

“Is Al planning on trying anything with my sister on Friday at the dance?” Ling asked. “Or at your friend’s house?”

“You’ll have to ask him,” Ed said, still writing out a table in Lan Fan’s notebook. 

“Why would you even want to know that?” Lan Fan asked.

“I need to know if he’ll be defiling May while I’m in the next room sleeping,” Ling explained.

“He won’t, he’s too chicken shit,” Ed said as he pushed Lan Fan’s notebook back to her.

She stared down at the pages. “How did you do that? You were in the middle of a conversation and you still did that.”

Ed shrugged. “You have to start by-“

“By ‘too chicken shit’ do you mean-“

“Fucking hell!” Ed practically shouted. “Do you want my help or not?!”

“I thought you told me I could choke,” Ling said.

“If it’ll shut you the fuck up, I’ll help you!”

Ling shrugged and tried to reach for another fry, but Ed quickly smashed his hand on the table.

“And stop touching my fucking food,” Ed snapped.

Ling clicked his tongue. “Someone’s a little touchy today.”

“You’re lucky I don’t punch you.”

“You’ve already done that before,” Ling said. “Try and be creative.”

“Can you both not please?” Lan Fan said with an eye roll.

“Both?!” Ed felt his temper rising and knew he would get called out on it, but didn’t care. He was already on edge from midterms, the mention of Hohenheim had already gotten his blood boiling, and his ‘friends’ weren’t helping. 

“Ed,” Lan Fan said sternly. “Seriously. Help. Please.”

Ed glared at her. Lan Fan just raised an eyebrow, and suddenly Ed felt his rage dying. He’d never admit it, but Lan Fan actually terrified him. He hadn’t forgotten that he and Ling’s drunken fight had been broken up by Lan Fan pulling Ed off of him by herself.

“Fine,” Ed said. “But you-“ He pointed a finger in Ling’s face. “Owe me a drink on Friday.”

“I’ll take that deal,” Ling said. “Now teach us things.”

“Oh I could definitely teach you a few things,” Ed grumbled.

“Edward,” Lan Fan scolded.

Ed threw up his hands in light surrender, reminding himself to think of a plan to get Ling on Friday.

Notes:

Happy Valentine's day! Here's a new chapter, it's maybe a bit all over the place. But such is life.

chapter title: 'brain stew' - green day

Chapter 5: can't wait to be dancing around

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

TO: RESEMBOOL POWER SQUAD

A: Happy Friday!

W: Someone seems excited ;)

A: I’m just happy it’s Friday. Nothing else.

E: happy for u maybe i have a lit exam in an hour

W: Bummer

E: thnx for ur sympathy

W: I do feel bad for you

W: Obviously it’s a class you struggle in since you text like a six year old

E: 🖕

A: Anyway! What time is the dance?

W: I think it starts at 8? Pan and I will probably get there around 8:20-ish

A: Do you want us to pick you up?

W: That’s okay! We can walk

E: isnt central far from u?

W: I walk everyday Edward

E: yeh but itll be dark

E: and cold

W: We’ll be fine, Ed

E: whatever

E: i hope u get run over

W: Gee thanks

A: Okay so I guess we’ll try and get there at the same time as you guys

W: Sounds good. We’ll try and meet you at the door.

W: Make sure you have your school IDs, they check at the door

E: what if i lost mine

W: Find it???

E: ur so helpful

A: I’ll help you find it brother. It’s probably in one of your pockets.

E: or ling stole it

A: Also a possibility. Either way, we’ll all be there!

W: Yay! See you then!

W: And Ed if you wear that sweatshirt, I will have you kicked out

E: now i REALLY hope u get run over

A: This is fun. This is going to be fun.  

***

Al had been staring in his closet for about 15 minutes when the door suddenly burst open. He turned as Ed strolled into the room with a dramatic flourish.

“And that, ladies and gentleman, is how you fail a lit exam,” Ed proclaimed.

“You didn’t actually fail,” Al said rolling his eyes. Ed had always been the type to claim he had failed a test, pass with flying colors, and then brag about being able to do things with his eyes closed.

“Probably not,” Ed said with a grin dropping onto his bed, “but I don’t think I did very well either.”

“Remind me to hit you when you get an A,” Al grumbled as he turned back to his closet.

“Geez, someone’s cranky.”

“I don’t know what to wear!” Al practically shrieked. “What do I wear to the dance? And then what do I wear as pajamas tonight? And then what do I wear tomorrow morning?”

“Don’t forget the car ride there,” Ed said, an obnoxious smile crossing his face. “Can’t wear the same thing in the car that you do to the dance.”

“I’m ignoring you now.”

“Holy fuck,” Ed laughed. “And people say I’m too high strung.”

“This is serious, Ed!” Al said, flipping through his clothes and becoming increasingly more frustrated with his brother. “I can’t pack for break until I know what I’m wearing so I can’t put the things I’m wearing on top.”

“Geez,” Ed said, “you really like May.”

Al looked to the ceiling and twirled his thumbs. “I just…want to make a good impression.”

“Al and May sitting in a tree-”

“Have you started packing yet?” Al said cutting off his song.

“No,” Ed said lying back on his bed and closing his eyes. “I’ll do it eventually.”

“Ling and Lan Fan know the plan, right?” Al said, pulling out shirts.

“For the millionth fucking time, yes,” Ed groaned. “You are driving me and May. Lan Fan is driving with Ling. We are staying at Winry’s tonight then Lan Fan, Ling, and May are coming back here so they can leave for break while we stay behind.”

“And you did talk to Mustang, right, to tell him we’re not coming back to campus tonight?” Al turned to look at his brother whose eyes had suddenly snapped open. “I’m going to take that as a no.”

“I had an exam!” Ed defended himself. “I didn’t have time. Plus half the campus is leaving, we’ll sign out at the office, they’ll figure out I’m gone for the break eventually.”

“They’ll figure it out,” Al said, pulling a pass out from his backpack, “because I told Mustang we were both leaving.”

Ed crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m offended you thought I wouldn’t talk to Mustang.”

“But you didn’t,” Al said. “And he’ll probably call you out on it at the dance.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“He said him and Hawkeye are chaperoning.”

Ed, who was midway through sitting up, lied back down again. “Nope. Not going.”

“You already said you would!” Al said. “And I’m not coming back to get you tomorrow morning so you’d have to spend the break here.”

Ed ran a hand over his face with an exasperated sigh. “This is a nightmare.”

“Do you know how many kids go to this school and go to Central and who are probably going tonight? I doubt you’ll even see Mustang.”

“He’ll find me just to be a bastard.”

Al refocused on the shirts in front of him; he had bigger things to worry about than Ed’s weird feud with Mustang. He pulled out a loose orange sweater, a white button-down, and a pair of dark jeans.

He turned and opened his mouth to ask Ed what he thought, but then immediately reconsidered. Winry would know better, he thought.

He pulled out his phone, snapped a picture, and was about to hit send when he heard Ed say, “What are you doing?”

“Asking for Winry’s opinion on this outfit,” Al said.

“I’m right here, why don’t you ask me?” Ed asked.

“I know how you dress.”

“Fuck you!”

“Winry said it’s good,” Al said. “And told me to tell you again if you wear-”

Ed got up and crossed the room, cutting Al off. “Okay, I’m out.”

“Where are you going?”

Ed opened the door. “I’m going to Ling’s, he owes me a drink and I’m going to need it. Plus I wasn't kidding when I said Ling probably stole my ID.”

Al rolled his eyes but called after him down the hallway. “We’re leaving at 7:30. Tell Ling not to be late!”

Ed waved him off.

Notes:

Prepare yourselves, the next chapter is a long one. I think.

chapter title: 'dancing around' - flor

Chapter 6: shut up and dance with me

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The Elric car pulled into the Central High parking lot at 8:45, 20 minutes after they had told Winry they would be there. Ed sat in the back seat, picking at the sleeve of his shirt. Al had finally talked him into wearing something other than his sweatshirt, but he had still gone with a signature look: a red button up (unbuttoned), a black shirt, black jeans, and his boots.

“Why do you have to wear the boots?” Al had asked.

“Because Winry hates them,” Ed had answered. “And she gave me shit for my sweatshirt.”

Ed tried to make up for his attitude by telling May she should sit in the front seat, giving Al time to talk to her and maybe talk himself out of being so nervous.

Ed turned his head to look out the window as Lan Fan’s car pulled up next to them.

“Winry said they’re inside,” Al read from his phone as they stepped out of the car.

“I thought the whole point was we were all going together,” Ed pointed out, stretching his prosthetic out.

“It was,” Al said, “until we decided to be late.”

“Blame Ling,” Ed replied. “He’s the one who took forever to get dressed.”

“You should’ve expected that, honestly,” May said, looking at herself in the window of Al’s car and fixing her braids that she had pinned up into loops. “He takes longer than I do to get ready.”

“It takes time to look this beautiful,” Ling said coming around from the passenger side of Lan Fan’s car.

“And yet you still didn’t manage it,” Ed responded. Ling flipped him off.

“Come on,” Lan Fan said. “Gym’s this way.”

“Who made you the leader?” Ed grumbled.

“I did,” Lan Fan said, already walking, “when I decided I didn’t want to stand in the cold anymore.”

They walked in a clump toward the gym, Ed floating to the back and shoving his hands in his pockets.

“By the way,” he heard Al say to May. “I think you look really nice.”

“Thank you, Alphonse,” May answered with a bright smile.

“You guys are going to make me sick,” Ling mumbled.

They flashed their student IDs to the Central teachers at the door and then went into the gym. One step in and Ed already regretted every decision he had ever made that brought him to this moment.

“It’s hot as balls in here,” Ed yelled at Al.

“You get used to it eventually,” Lan Fan said.

“C’mon!” May was practically bouncing. “Let’s go dance!”

“We should probably find Winry and Paninya first,“ Al said as he was jostled by multiple people running in the front door.

“How the fuck do you expect to do that?” Ed asked. “It’s pitch black in here!”

He could tell Al was about to respond but then he was suddenly pulled by the arm into a fast hug.

“My little cherub!” Paninya yelled as she squeezed Al’s shoulders. “Hello!”

“Hi Paninya,” Al said as they separated. “I like your crown.”

Paninya tipped the green glow stick she had wrapped around her head in Al’s direction. “Thank you very much, sir. I think it matches my pants very well. Ed, have you gotten shorter?”

“Fuck you.”

“Charmer as always.”

“Paninya, this is May,” Al said, pointing to the girl next to him. Ed couldn’t help but notice that May looked none too thrilled at the sight of another girl hugging him. Ed would have to make fun of Al for it later.

“Hi!” Paninya said. “Do you want a glow stick crown?”

“Oh,” May said, surprised. “Um, sure!”

Paninya reached in the pockets of her camo pants and pulled out a long tube which she cracked until it was glowing pink. She connected the two ends and placed it on May’s head.

“There you are!” Paninya exclaimed. “It matches your dress!”

“Thanks!” May did a twirl and looked up at Al. “How does it look?”

“Looks great.” Even in the dark, Ed could tell Al was blushing.

“At least we’ll be able to find you now,” Lan Fan laughed.

“She gets it!” Paninya said pointing to Lan Fan. “That was the point of the crowns, actually.”

“Where’s Winry?” Ed asked.

“Oh,” Paninya looked around. “She was right behind me. Look for the blue glow stick. Now, are you going to tell me who your friends are?”

“That’s Ling, that’s Lan Fan,” Ed said quickly as he scanned the crowd.

“Glow sticks?” Paninya offered.

“I’d like a yellow one,” Ling said, getting closer to Paninya’s selection, “to match my kingly presence.”

“Fucking hell,” Ed swore under his breath, but then he turned and saw a bright blue glow stick on top of a yellow head of hair coming toward them.

“Hi, guys!” Winry extracted herself from the massive crowd of people in the center of the gym. “Thanks for ditching me, Pan!”

“I didn’t mean to!” Paninya turned her head toward Winry as she handed Ling a yellow glow stick and Lan Fan a purple one. “I thought you were behind me!”

“Oh, Ed,” Winry said looking down at his feet, “please tell me I’m not seeing what I think I’m seeing.”

Ed grinned. “You wouldn’t let me wear my sweatshirt.”

“Those are bad for your feet,” Winry scolded. “BOTH of them. You’re going to break my beautiful prosthetic trying to shove it in those boots.”

“You’re such a nag!”

“I nag because I care, Ed!”

Ed rolled his eyes, put a hand on Winry’s head, and pulled her into a side hug. “Yeah, yeah. About me or the prosthetic?”

“The prosthetic, obviously.”

“Nice girl you’ve got,” Ling said, sliding next to Ed who responded by shoving him sideways. “Hi.” Ling reached his hand out to Winry. “I’m Ling. This is Lan Fan.”

“Winry,” Winry said, shaking his hand.

“Winry, this is May,” Al, who had been donned with a silver glow stick crown, said coming over with May. Ed glanced Al’s hesitant hand on her shoulder and shot him a cheeky look. Al just rolled his eyes.

“Okay, now that we’ve all met,” Ling said, “Food’s in the cafeteria, right?”

“Oh, that’s why you come every year,” Ed groaned.

“Duh,” Lan Fan responded. "What's better than free food?"

"Food that Ed pays for," Ling said.

"I actually hate you," Ed snapped.

“I’ll go with you for food!” Paninya offered. “Now we can all find each other, right? I’ve had to fight people off who wanted glow crowns specifically so we can find each other.”

“Where’s yours, Ed?” Ling asked. “How will I find you for our waltz?”

“Fuck no,” Ed responded.

“He’s actually a very good waltzer,” Lan Fan said. “You should be so lucky.”

“I mean, no I am not putting one of those on my head.”

“So you’ll still waltz with me?” Ling asked.

“I’m going to ignore you, is what I’m going to do.”

“Come on, Ed,” May chimed in, “we’ve all got them.”

“I prefer to be an individual,” Ed said.

“You’re going to get lost,” Al pointed out.

“I’m a big boy,” Ed said with an eye roll. “I’ll be alright.”

“Since when are you a big boy?” Ling asked then ran off before Ed had a chance to respond.

Ed stood there, stewing, when he heard May say to Al, “I told you we should’ve left them behind. Let’s go dance, Alphonse!”

“Okay!” Al said. “You guys coming?”

“I am!” Winry said. “Come on, Ed, let’s go.”

“Nope,” Ed laughed. “I’m getting food, I’m starving.”

Winry shrugged. “Suit yourself. Come dance with us later!”

Ed watched Winry lead Al and May into the throngs of people as he followed Paninya and Lan Fan after Ling into the cafeteria.

Well, Ed thought as they entered the adjacent room, at least it’s brighter.

The room still had way too many people in it, but the heat also didn’t seem as oppressive as it had in the other room. Ling and Lan Fan immediately started piling plates with food from the tables at the front while Paninya and Ed scoped out a few seats.

“Who even makes the food?” Ed asked.

Paninya shrugged. “It’s like, parent volunteers or something? Also, I thought you were starving. Why aren’t you getting food?”

“Ling will get it,” Ed answered with a wave.

“He’ll get you your food?

“No, he’ll get his own food and I’ll steal it.”

Paninya laughed. “As long as you have a plan.”

“So how’re your legs, Pan?” Ed asked as they sat down.

She drummed on both in response. “Still prosthetics. Yours?

Ed shrugged. “I think Winry would kill me if I spontaneously regrew my limb. What would she do with all of that free time?”

Ling and Lan Fan slid into the seats next to them, plates piled high. Ed immediately started eating off of Ling’s plate, knowing that Ling would be too obsessed with stuffing his own face than worrying about Ed stealing things.

Sitting, eating, and talking with Paninya, Ling, and Lan Fan, Ed didn’t mind ending up at a high school dance. He dreaded the moment, though, that they all went to dance and he was forced to follow; there was no part of him that wanted to do that. To Ed, he knew any attempt at dancing would be followed by every single person he was there with using it against him for the rest of his life.

No sooner had the thought crossed his mind than Ling and Lan Fan cleared their plates and Lan Fan announced, “I think I would like to go dance now.”

Ling stood with a flourish and held out his arm. “Madam?”

Lan Fan rolled her eyes but smiled, stood, and took it. They started to move together toward the dimly lit gym, Paninya and Ed behind them.

“Hey,” Paninya said as quietly as she could while still being heard to Ed, “these two. Are they together?”

“No, but also definitely yes,” Ed answered.

Paninya sighed. “Shame. She’s cute.”

Ed felt himself immediately starting to sweat as soon as they entered the gym. Somehow, the number of people seemed to have doubled in the time they had been in the cafeteria.

“Coming, Edward?” Lan Fan said, turning around briefly.

Ed shook his head. “Think I’ll stay at the fringes for a bit.”

“Well, when you decide to be fun,” Ling said, “just look for the glow sticks.”

Ed leaned against the wall as the rest of his friends shoved their way through the crowd. Despite the people, he could see the outline of a silver glow crown in his brother’s hair toward the edges and he couldn’t help but notice it was very close to the pink crown. Ed crossed his arms over his chest and smiled.

“Wallflower, Elric?”

The smile disappeared from Ed’s face and he groaned.

“I knew you would find me,” Ed grumbled, looking sideways at Mustang who had come to stand next to him. “Shouldn’t you be chaperoning instead of over here with me?”

“I am,” Mustang assured him. “I saw a delinquent on the outskirts of the dancing so I came over to check.”

“Har de har,” Ed said with an eye roll. “You’re hilarious.”

“Why not ask someone to dance?”

“I don’t think that’s any of my teacher’s business, is it?”

Mustang shrugged. “Just looking out for the well-being of my student.”

“Yeah, sure you are.”

“Roy.” Ed turned his head as Hawkeye strolled over, her arms crossed over her chest. “Leave him alone. Hello, Ed.”

Ed nodded. “Ma’am.”

Mustang sighed but followed Hawkeye. “Maybe try and have some fun,” he said over his shoulder. “Attempt a smile, perhaps?”

“Think I’d rather get some air,” Ed said. “I think my prosthetic is starting to sweat.”

He spotted a door on the other side of the crowd and hugged the walls as he made his way towards it. The door had been propped open with an empty water bottle crushed between the door and the frame. Clever.

He pushed the door open slightly and slipped out, trying not to draw the attention of any of the lingering chaperones. The cold air was a welcome contrast to where he’d come from, and Ed sighed with relief as he sat on the step just outside of the door. He stretched his legs out and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt.

Ed heard the door creak open behind him and turned to see white shoes, the bottoms of blue jeans, a pink tank top over a purple t-shirt, and long blonde hair with a blue glow stick on top.

“Oh,” Winry said, turning and seeing him on the steps. “We were wondering where you were.”

“Just getting some air,” Ed answered. “It’s hot as hell in there.”

Winry nodded. “That’s for sure. Your leg okay?”

“I can feel the sweat in my sleeve,” Ed groaned. “But it’s fine. What’re you doing out here?”

“Grabbing something for Pan,” Winry said, shuffling behind a bush next to the door.

Ed raised an eyebrow as Winry ducked down. “What the hell could she possibly want that’s out here?”

He suddenly saw a hand stick out from behind the bush, a large, full water bottle grasped in it.

“I think I’m stuck,” Ed heard Winry say.

He stood, took the water bottle from Winry in one hand, and used the other to pull Winry to her feet.

“Thanks,” Winry said. She brushed herself off and they both sat down on the step.

“The crushed water bottle in the door your idea then?” Ed asked.

“Paninya’s,” Winry answered. “She figured it was big enough to keep the door from locking but small enough that teachers wouldn’t notice the door open. We’re technically only supposed to get outside through the front doors.”

“What’s in this?” Ed asked, twisting open the bottle. He saw Winry open her mouth to say something, but then closed it. He took a sip with a raised eyebrow and immediately regretted it as the sickly sweet liquor hit the back of his throat. He started choking and coughing as he felt his eyes start to water.

Ed turned to Winry who was laughing and clutching her stomach. He scowled and handed the bottle back to her.

“That’s fucking disgusting,” he said. “What the fuck is that?!”

But Winry couldn’t answer; she was still laughing. As much as he didn’t want to join her in laughing at his expense, the sight of her doubled over set him off too.

“You’re fucking insane,” Ed said through laughs. “Were you trying to poison me?”

Winry finally wheezed herself to a stop. “I’m sorry. I really just wanted to see how you would react.”

“Clearly not well, that’s awful.”

“It’s watermelon,” Winry said taking a small sip. She made a face and closed it. “It’s cheap which is why Paninya buys it. Personally, I’m not a fan, but we take what we can.”

“Granny would be ashamed.” Ed shook his head. “Her only granddaughter drinking something like that?”

Winry nodded in agreement. “It’s true. She and your dad were quite the whiskey connoisseurs back in the day if I remember the stories right.”

Ed looked down at the ground as he felt his blood start to rise at the mention of Hohenheim. Suddenly he felt gross.

“Sorry,” he heard Winry say. “I know that-“

“Doesn’t matter,” Ed said standing and stretching. “C’mon.” He reached his hand down and pulled Winry to her feet. “Let’s go inside, I can see you starting to shiver.”

“Wait,” Winry said. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out a glow stick, cracking it to reveal a bright red.

Ed groaned. “I said I didn’t want one.”

“We need to be able to find you,” Winry said, fixing the loop over his bangs and around his ponytail. “I got a red one especially for you, wasn’t that nice of me?”

Ed grumbled a “whatever” as they both slipped back in through the door.

“Put this in your pocket,” Winry said handing him the bottle. “Paninya wants it and my pockets aren’t deep enough.”

Ed rolled his eyes, but took the bottle and fit it into his back pocket as he went to lean against the wall again.

“So,” Winry said over the noise. “Is Rose here?”

Ed scanned the crowd until he found the pink bangs and pointed casually. “That’s her over there.”

Winry looked over, stared for a minute, then shrugged. “She’s pretty. You don’t like her?”

Ed shook his head. “She’s nice, I guess. Not really my type.”

“What about Noah?”

Ed turned to her. “What’s with this weird obsession to see all the girls who have crushes on me?”

“There is no obsession,” Winry said. “You just tell me so little about anything and I finally have a chance to find things out.”

“Well, I don’t see her, so sorry to disappoint you.”

“And where’s this teacher Al says you have a weird thing with?”

“Don’t say it like that,” Ed said. “That makes it sound fucking weird. He’s my adviser and I’m his TA.”

Ed cocked his chin over at Mustang who was standing by a wall on the far side of the gym talking to Hawkeye. “That’s him over there with Hawkeye. She’s Principal Bradley’s assistant. They’re totally fucking.”

“Who?” Winry asked. “Hawkeye and the principal?”

“No, Mustang and Hawkeye.”

“Why do you think that?”

“It’s so obvious!” Ed exclaimed. “I constantly see them with each other, you’d think she worked for him and not for Bradley. The way they talk to each other too gives it away. Mustang told me they’ve known each other for years apparently.”

Winry raised an eyebrow. “Sound like you and Mustang get along better than you think.”

Ed rolled his eyes. “No way, he’s a fucking bastard.”

Winry looked over at Mustang and Hawkeye and tilted her head. “I don’t see it.”

“Give it time,” Ed said. “I promise you will.”

“That he’s a bastard or that they’re together?”

“Both.”

The song suddenly changed and Winry looked out at the people dancing. “Oh, I love this song!”

“How can you even tell what it is?” Ed asked. “The bass is crazy in here.”

“Like you don’t listen to your music in the exact same way!” Winry slapped his shoulder. “Come on, come dance!”

“Why?” Ed moaned.

“Because that’s what a dance is for!” Winry grabbed his hand and pulled him out through the crowd with her.

“Fine,” Ed relented. “One song then I’m getting more food.”

Notes:

I told myself I would try and update regularly but then I lost track of days because time is an illusion. My bad.

chapter title: 'shut up and dance' - walk the moon

Chapter 7: between the drinks and subtle things

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry was grateful that they had no close neighbors as she got out of the Elric car at her house around 11. Paninya was singing the last song they had played at the dance, Ling and Lan Fan were discussing the food, Ed was saying to her “I can’t believe you walked from here to the dance!”, and all of them were talking just a little bit too loud over the likely ringing in their ears. Winry could hear Den barking behind the closed front door and looked toward the house to see only the living room light on. All of their glow crowns were starting to fade in luminance, but they were still bright enough to illuminate all of their red and sweating faces.

“Why are we having this conversation again?” Winry asked Ed. “We already did this this morning.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that I’m right!” Ed exclaimed, slinging his bag from the trunk over his shoulder.

Winry rolled her eyes. “You’re ridiculous. Clearly, we did not die.”

“Granny’s not asleep, is she?” Al asked as he opened the passenger door for May.

“No,” Winry said leading everyone up the front steps. “She’s probably-“

Winry opened the door and was faced with her grandmother sitting in the chair by the door that was far too large for her, Den rushing out the door to greet all the new people.

“Hi Granny,” Winry said as Pinako stood and crossed to the door.

Pinako stretched out her hand. “Keys.”

Al stepped forward and dropped his keys into Pinako’s open palm. She turned to Ling, Lan Fan, and May who stood there awkwardly. Winry watched as Granny looked all three over, narrowed her eyes, then held her hand out to Lan Fan. Granny was, as always, an impeccable judge of character.

Lan Fan dug her keys out of her pocket and handed them over. “I’m Lan Fan.”

“Granny Pinako,” Granny answered. “Ling and May I’m assuming?”

Ling and May nodded in response. Granny nodded back.

“There’s food on the stove and drinks in the fridge,” Granny said. “Don’t break anything downstairs and I know exactly how much whiskey is in that bottle in the cabinet so don’t even think about it.” With that, she turned on her heel and walked up the stairs. “Good night.”

They all stood in the doorway until they heard the door slam.

“That woman is my hero,” Lan Fan said, awe-struck.

“She is quite the lady,” May agreed.

“C’mon boys,” Al said, “let’s bring the bags upstairs.”

“What?” Ling complained as Al threw him Lan Fan’s bag.

“Girls are in my room, Ling is in with Al and Ed,” Winry said, “but we’re downstairs until everybody starts falling asleep.”

“I’m grabbing glasses and snacks,” Paninya said making her way to the kitchen.

“I can help,” Lan Fan said following her.

Winry turned to ask May if she wanted anything but noticed that she had already wandered over to the picture board, looking across at the photos as she absently pet the top of Den’s head. Winry smiled, walked over, and looked up at her, Ed, and Al’s life spanning about 40 pictures.

“Did your Granny take all of these?” May asked.

“Most of them,” Winry said.

May pointed at the one of Winry who had pulled Al and Ed by the elbows into the picture. “Did Ed ever smile?” May laughed.

Winry laughed too. “Not usually. Most of these he was forced into.”

“Aw look at baby Al!” May cooed. “Even baby Ed was cute.”

“Yeah, we’re not sure what happened there.”

May continued to gaze over the pictures until she stopped at one. “Are these Ed and Al’s parents?”

Winry looked up and her smile faltered at the memory staring back. “Um, no,” she said. “Those are mine.”

“Oh.” By the tone in May’s voice, Winry knew she had just given herself away as an orphan to this girl she had only known for a few hours.

Winry tried to brush it off, pointing to another picture. “That’s Ed and Al’s mom.”

May looked up and grinned. “Al has her smile!”

“So does Ed,” Winry said, “but you’d never know it.”

May laughed. “He smiled a bit when you finally got him to dance, so I guess I can kind of see it. I still can’t believe you got him out there.”

“Honestly, I’m just surprised he stayed,” Winry admitted. “He swore one song and that was it.”

“He probably just wanted the chance to show off,” May said rolling her eyes.

“True, that’s definitely something he would do even if he doesn’t realize it. He’s always up for showing off.”

“You’ve all known each other for a while.”

“Yeah, Granny and their dad went to the same graduate school and were drinking buddies. Their house was down the road, too, only like 5 minutes away.”

“It was?”

Winry opened her mouth to answer but stopped when she felt Lan Fan at her shoulder looking up at the pictures.

“Has Ed always been angry?” Lan Fan asked while chewing on Granny’s stew.

Winry and May both laughed in response. “I’ll take that as a yes,” Lan Fan said.

“Should’ve hidden that board the second we got in the house,” Ed sneered as he walked down the stairs.

“These are great pictures!” May said with her hands on her hips. “Even if you do look like you smelled something bad in all of them.”

“Shut up, pipsqueak,” Ed said.

“Make me, half pint.” May stood close to Ed who grimaced in response.

“Maybe we should go downstairs,” Al said, shuffling in the corner.

“Sure.” May shot one last leer at Ed before following Al into the basement.

“Wow, she doesn’t take anyone’s crap,” Winry said, taking the stack of plastic cups Lan Fan had in her hands.

“You have no idea,” Lan Fan responded. “She’d hate me for telling you this, but I think she had a crush on Ed first before she realized he’s, you know, him. Don’t think she ever forgave him.”

Winry giggled, knowing she’d have to make fun of Ed for this at some point. “How long have you known May?”

Lan Fan shrugged as they followed everyone downstairs. “Couple years. I’ve known Ling for a long time, my grandfather works for his father and I met May eventually. They’re half siblings on his dad’s side.”

Winry nodded. “Oh right, Ed told me that. What does their father do?”

“He’s a politician,” Ling said taking a drink out of a Jack Daniel’s bottle, “and he sucks.”

“Fucking hell,” Ed said taking the bottle. “Don’t get him started.”

“On what?” Paninya came down the stairs with two bowls of chips balancing on a bowl of popcorn.

“Exactly,” Ed said.

“How do you do that?” Al asked Ling.

“Do what?” he responded, taking a fistful of popcorn.

“You always seem to be able to finish everyone’s sentences.”

Ling smirked. “I’m everywhere and nowhere. I hear everything.”

“You’re such a creep,” May said with an eye roll.

“Did you make all of these?” Lan Fan had traveled over to the limbs that lined the wall.

“No,” Winry said. “Most of these are Granny’s. Mine are upstairs.”

“You made Ed’s, though,” May said, “right?”

Winry nodded. “And I’ve remade it and readjusted it and mended it and remade-“

“Okay!” Ed exclaimed. “We get the point!”

“How many have you been through?” May asked.

“Oof,” Al said sitting on the floor, “talk about something you don’t want to get started.” 

“It’s not my fault you keep messing them up,” Winry shot at Ed, only halfway registering what Al had said. “I’m just telling the truth!”

“You make it sound so awful though,” Ed said.

“It is awful!” Winry yelled. “My beautiful work, you mess it up doing stupid things like backflips-“

“Oh, she found out about the bet, did she?” Ling asked, taking a spoonful of stew from Lan Fan’s bowl.

“Only because of a traitor among us,” Ed hissed, turning to Al.

Al shrugged. “She had a right to know.”

“Fucking hell,” Ed grumbled, sitting against the wall. “Why do I talk to any of you?”

“How old were you when you started building prosthetics?” Lan Fan asked.

Winry thought for a second. “Seven. I had been helping Granny for a couple of years before that and my parents were doctors so I grew up around it. Ed’s is the first full custom limb I built though with Granny. Then I took over doing it myself eventually.”

“How old were you?”

Winry briefly glanced at Ed before answering. “Um, about twelve.”

“Holy shit,” Ling grumbled as he continued to eat. “Are you all prodigies of something in this town?”

“Just me,” Ed answered. Winry shoved him sideways.

“Who wants a drink?” Paninya asked. She took the bag she had slung over her shoulder and dropped it to the floor. “I’ve got watermelon vodka-“

“Don’t touch that one!” Ed said sitting up straight. He exchanged a look with Winry who laughed. Ed cocked one of his annoying grins in response.

“Okay, weirdo,” Paninya said. “I’ve got watermelon vodka, regular vodka, Lan Fan has informed me her and Ling have two more handles of Jack Daniels, Granny’s got mixers upstairs-“

“There are only 7 of us,” Al said bewildered. “Why do you have so much alcohol?”

“Well, there’s only like a shot left of the regular vodka,” Paninya pointed out, taking it out of her bag.

“Plus, only some of us paid for the Jack Daniels,” Ed said.

“You weren’t one of those people,” Lan Fan pointed out.

“Reminding you again that it was my educator’s fee.” Ed reached out and stole the bottle from Ling’s hand.

“I’m going to need a mixer,” May said.

“I can get it,” Al offered quickly. “I’ll get a few.”

“I can help.” Winry stood and followed Al out of the basement.

“I like your girlfriend,” Winry teased as soon as they were in the kitchen.

“She’s not my girlfriend,” Al said blushing slightly. “But I’m glad you like her.”

“Heard she first had a crush on Ed for a bit,” Winry said opening the fridge and pulling out juice.

“Temporary moment of insanity,” Al brushed her off. “She came to her senses eventually and chose the right Elric.”

“Ah yes, the ‘humble’ one.”

“Of course.”

By 12:30, two out of three juice bottles Al and Winry had brought down were empty, one bottle of Jack Daniels was gone, and Paninya was close to getting her wish of seeing an Elric drunk. Although he didn’t show it, Winry knew Ed was almost there when he didn’t get pissed when Ling started to talk about his dancing. Maybe Paninya had been right about him being a chill drunk.

“I bet he was secretly practicing in his and Al’s room all week,” Ling said.

“If he was,” Al piped up, “I was not his partner.”

“I told you, I’m a prodigy,” Ed said.

“I was surprised,” May admitted. “You are actually a decent dancer.”

“I wish you had at least given me warning about the dip, though,” Winry said. “I could’ve prepared myself a bit more.”

“You’ve known me how fucking long?” Ed asked. “You should know to expect the unexpected.”

Winry rolled her eyes but smiled. “Oh, right. How silly of me.”

“You did fine on the spin,” Al pointed out.

Winry mock bowed. “Thank you very much.”

“Isn’t that more a compliment to me?” Ed said.

“No. Just because you initiated the spin doesn’t mean that I didn’t have something to do with it so I am taking the compliment.”

“You’re a lunatic.”

“Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?”

“You weren’t kidding,” Lan Fan said to Al. “They really do fight like an old married couple.”

“I told you!” Al said with vindication.

“I have known you two for way too long,” Winry muttered into her cup.

“Let’s play a game!” Paninya clapped her hands together.

“I like games,” May said.

“Oh fucking hell,” Ed groaned.

“What’s the game?” Ling said, throwing an arm around Lan Fan.

“Truth or drink,” Paninya said, standing and refilling cups. “Nice and simple.”

“This is fucking stupid,” Ed said under his breath.

“C’mon Ed.” Paninya sat back down. “I want to learn more about your friends!”

Ed rolled his eyes but said nothing and took another drink from the newly opened Jack Daniels.

“Al.” Paninya rounded on the younger Elric who sat up straight. “Did you…ever have a crush on Winry?”

“No,” Al answered without hesitation. “But me and Ed did fight over who would get to marry her when we were kids.”

“Why would you say that?!” Ed exclaimed. “Why drag me into your truth?”

“Oh, I remember that,” Winry reminisced. “You won, Al, right?”

Al nodded. “But, alas, you turned me down.”

“Oh,” May cooed. “Your first heartbreak.”

Al pouted and put a hand over his heart. “I recovered eventually.”

“Your turn Al,” Paninya giggled. “Choose the next victim.”

Al smiled slyly and Winry saw his eyes move toward her. “Winry. Who was your first kiss?”

Winry groaned. “You know the answer to this, Al. Why are you even asking?”

“Because I want you to say it,” Al said mischievously. “Or you can drink.”

“I want to know the answer!” Paninya exclaimed. “I don’t know this.”

Lan Fan had started to grin. “I think I can guess.”

Winry rolled her eyes. “It was Ed.” She noticed that Ed had shrunk down until he was practically lying on the floor.

Paninya gasped. “No way! It was?!”

“Why do these truth answers say more about me than the people who are being asked?” Ed said. Winry couldn’t help but notice his face had gotten slightly flushed.

“You don’t offer information,” Ling said. “We have to find out somehow.”

“You didn’t even ask the question! My fucking brother just wants to expose me!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Al said.

“We were about 5,” Winry continued, “so I don’t know if it really counts but, with that, let’s move on.”

“Please,” Ed agreed.

“Lan Fan,” Winry said. “What is a special talent that you have?”

“That is the lamest question I’ve ever heard,” Paninya said.

“I want to know! I know nothing about these people.”

“She’s basically a ninja,” Ling answered.

“I believe she asked Lan Fan,” May sniffed.

“What does that mean?” Al asked. “You’re basically a ninja?”

Lan Fan stood, motioning to Ed. “Come on.”

Ed look bewildered. “Why me?”

“I have to get you involved in this answer somehow. Plus it’s more impressive when I can spar with someone who knows what they’re doing before I beat them.”

Lan Fan’s hand-to-hand combat demonstration turned into May showing off her knife throwing with a few swiss army knives scattered around the basement (“Is this just, like, a Xigenese prerequisite or something?” Al asked). This then (and Winry was not sure how it turned into this) became a handstand contest between Ed and Paninya.

“Yes!” Paninya exclaimed as Ed fell sideways. “I win!”

“That’s only because,” Ed said sulking on the floor, “Ling pushed my elbow in.”

“I had to,” Ling said. “It had already been going on for too long.”

“Then why not go after her?!”

“You already have an advantage,” Paninya said. “I have one extra prosthetic than you do.”

“How long have you had your prosthetics?” May asked.

“Looong time,” Paninya answered. “I was about six when I lost my legs.”

“Can we ask what happened?” Lan Fan said. “You don’t have to answer.”

Paninya shrugged. “Sure. That can be my “truth or drink” question. Train accident. Killed my parents too. The man who made my legs, Dominic, his son, and his wife basically adopted me while I went through physical therapy and everything.”

“I’m sorry,” May said. “About your parents.”

“Thanks,” Paninya said. She waggled her eyebrows and looked around the room. “Now.” She zeroed in on a target. “Ling.”

“Yes?” Ling answered.

“Why does your father suck?”

Winry watched Ling consider for a second whether or not to answer. She saw his eyes flick quickly to May, who was suddenly fascinated by the contents of her cup. Ling eventually looked to Paninya and took a long swig from the Jack Daniels bottle.

“Our first defector!” Paninya exclaimed. “I have to say, I’m very disappointed we’re all so quick to answer questions. It’s not as fun if people won’t get drunk.”

“I think some people are already drunk,” Al said with a pointed look at his brother.

“Why are you looking at me?” Ed shot back.

“None of the questions have been very deep, to be fair,” Lan Fan pointed out. “Except yours.”

“That’s a good point,” Paninya said. “C’mon! Let’s get deep, people!”

“You’re right.” Ling slammed the bottle on the ground and turned. “Edward. Let’s go with this theme.”

“I don’t know what that means,” Ed said.

“He’s not going to answer,” Al sang in a lilting voice.

“Maybe he’ll surprise us,” Winry said leaning back on her elbows.

Ed sat up straight. “Maybe I will. Hit me.”

“How did you lose your leg?”

Winry and Al both exchanged a look and sat up. Winry hadn’t expected that and, from the look on Al’s face, neither had he. The room had gone very quiet. Ed’s eyes were narrowed on Ling’s face and Ling’s were hyper-focused on Ed. Winry knew the look on Ed’s face well; he was debating internally, and she was afraid one of the things he was debating was whether or not to hit Ling. Winry then took a second to look at the other faces in the room; Lan Fan, Paninya, and May were all watching Ed, waiting to see what he would do.

Ed leaned back casually on the wall, but Winry could see him clenching his jaw. “There was a fire at our house about a year after our mom died. We got caught in it. The doctors amputated my leg, which happens third-degree burns get infected and they want to stop it from spreading. It’s also how I got this pretty thing.” He pulled his shirt to one side to reveal the scar that stretched from his collarbone to his shoulder. The sight of it still made Winry shiver and flashback to ten year old Ed screaming in the hospital.

“Shit,” Lan Fan breathed.

“‘We’ got caught in it?” Ling asked.

Ed stared at Ling and, at that, he smiled and took a swig from the bottle. Winry knew that smile. He was retreating back behind his wall. She also knew it didn’t matter whether or not Ed answered the question, though. She didn’t need to hear the breath behind her to know that Al was going to.

“We were both in the house,” Al said. “I was intubated and in a coma for a while.”

Winry could feel her eyes starting to burn, but she clenched her fist to keep herself from crying. The room had gone absolutely silent; it was almost like no one even wanted to breathe. She was afraid of looking up and seeing the looks on everyone’s faces.

“Well.” Winry looked up sharply at the tone of Ed’s voice. “Whatever. It is what it is. I guess it’s my turn. May, do you or do you not have a crush on my brother?”

Al choked on the sip he had just taken of his drink and May, who immediately turned bright red, chugged her own. Ed started to cackle along with Ling and, just like that, the moment broke. Al threw an empty cup at Ed who dodged while Ling started to chide his sister. “Come on! Answer it!” Lan Fan and Paninya picked it up as a chant, and upstairs Den had started to bark.

Winry felt herself take a deep breath and laugh along with everyone else, but when she brought her drink to her lips, she saw her hands were shaking.

Notes:

What's a found family without a few tragic background stories and a long chapter to explain (some) of them?

chapter title: 'we are young' - fun.

Chapter 8: we need a holiday

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text


It was almost one in the afternoon when (almost) everyone pulled themselves out of bed, and Ling, Lan Fan, and May got ready to leave. Ling had attempted to wake up Ed by dropping himself dramatically over his sleeping form, but Ed had responded by clubbing Ling with his prosthetic then falling back asleep.

Al was brave enough to give May a hug as they left, which prompted groans from Ling that he wanted one as well. Paninya said her goodbyes a half-hour later and, by one, the Rockbell house was empty except for Al, Winry, Granny, and the still sleeping Ed. 

“At what point do we go and wake him up?” Winry asked.

“You can try if you want to,” Al said. “It probably won’t go well.” Al had been on the receiving end of Ed’s half-asleep assaults many times and knew all too well how precious Ed was about his sleep.

“He needs to get up soon,” Granny said as she made her way to the basement. “I need you two to patch up the roof before it starts snowing.” 

“I hope that doesn’t mess with Ling, Lan Fan, and May’s travel plans,” Al said, pulling his phone out.

Winry smirked over her coffee. “Texting to make sure she’s safe?”

“I’m just wondering!” Al defended himself. He wouldn’t say it, but he was secretly happy for some kind of excuse to text May. He had been trying to think of one ever since they left. 

Winry carefully placed her mug on the table and circled the rim with her finger. “What’re their plans for the break?”

“They’re going back to Xing,” Al said. “I think May is going to her mother’s. Ling will go to their father’s but will end up with Lan Fan and her Grandpa Fu eventually.”

Winry nodded. “I see now what Ed meant about Ling and Lan Fan. I thought for sure they would end up hooking up last night.”

“They’re always like that,” Al replied. 

“It’s sweet. You can tell they care a lot about each other.”

Al resisted the urge to point out in sounded like two other people he knew. Although Winry wouldn’t react as strongly as Ed would’ve, she still would’ve vehemently denied it.

“They’ve known each other a long time, Lan Fan was saying,” Winry said.

“Fu works for Ling’s dad and so does Lan Fan occasionally. They pretty much grew up together.”

“So,” Winry said, “what is the deal with May and Ling’s dad? May kind of mentioned it after we all went up to bed last night, but all she said was she just doesn’t know him very well.”

Al shrugged. “I’ve never asked. I just know that their relationship with him is weird. Ed might know.”

“Ed might know what?”

Al turned to see Ed, hair down and messy, walking down the stairs. He sat down midway through a yawn and pulled Winry’s coffee across to him.

“Hey!” Winry exclaimed. “What the hell?”

Ed took a sip then immediately started to gag. “Fuck! Is there milk in that?! That’s disgusting!”

“Which is why it’s mine, thank you very much!” Winry answered, snatching it back. “Go get your own.”

Ed stood and stretched his arms and walked into the kitchen. “It’s fucking cold in here,” he said.

“Granny wants us to patch the roof before it starts snowing,” Al said.

“Yeah yeah sure.” Ed came back to the table with a fresh cup of coffee. Black as always, Al noticed. 

“So,” Ed said, “what might I know?”

“What’s up with Ling and May’s dad,” Winry said. 

“Oh.” Ed took a sip of his coffee. “Yeah, he’s a career politician. He’s been married a bunch of times and has a lot of kids, doesn’t give a shit about any of them. Ling’s one of the oldest so he’s supposed to carry on the family name or some bullshit. May’s the youngest and I guess she grew up pretty poor but Ling takes care of them.”

“Wow,” Winry said. “Sounds like this guy’s a real father of the year.”

“Yeah,” Ed grumbled. “We have that in common.”

“Ling told you all of this?” Al asked. Ling, like Ed, wasn’t the type to offer information easily.

Ed shrugged. “More or less. He told me some of it, usually when we were drunk or when he was pissed off at his dad, and the rest I sort of figured out when we were roommates.”

“You lived together?!” Winry exclaimed. “How did you not kill each other?”

“We almost did.”

“They’re friends,” Al cut in. “Don’t let either of them tell you otherwise.”

“He’s still a dick,” Ed said.

“And I’m sure he’d lovingly refer to you in the same way,” Al responded. 

“By the way,” Winry said putting her mug down, “was that Ling that screamed last night?”

Ed laughed, an evil glint in his eye. 

“What did you do?” Winry scolded. 

“He put Ling’s sheet in the freezer,” Al said. 

“WHEN did you do that?!” Winry exclaimed. 

“Uh,” Ed said, “like 2 maybe? Whenever Ling fell asleep on the basement floor.”

“And why did you do this?”

“Because he’s a child,” Al said.

“Because you two wouldn’t let me draw on his face,” Ed said.

“I think it was more Lan Fan who wouldn’t let you draw on his face,” Al pointed out.

Ed yawns again. “Whatever. Someone was telling me not to, I just couldn’t remember who.” 

“About time, pipsqueak.” Granny walked slowly up the basement stairs and made her way to the table.

“Oi!” Ed yelled, rounding on her. “Who’re you calling pipsqueak, you mini hag?”

“You!” Granny said, narrowing her eyes. “Now both of you go upstairs and get dressed, I need you to patch the roof.”

“Can’t I at least-“ Ed started to complain.

“No,” Granny said cutting him off. “It’s supposed to start snowing in an hour so go.”

Al stood and lifted Ed up by the shoulders. “C’mon, Brother,” Al said. “Before she starts hitting you with her pipe.” 

Ed groaned as Al followed him up the stairs. “It never snows that much anyway,” Ed grumbled. “It’s not like it’s going to matter.”

***

Winry was about an hour into working on a leg when she heard a shout outside. She looked up and, even through her googles, could see the blanket of white snow falling over the yard. She stood and pulled open the door to the balcony with only some difficulty; the snow was coming fast but hadn’t come down enough to cause any serious build-up to keep the door from being able to open. She looked down and saw Al on the ground throwing snowballs up onto the roof and laughing.

“EDWARD ELRIC!” she shouted. Al immediately froze mid-throw and looked up toward Winry. “You better not still be up on the roof!”

There was silence then a voice came from above. “I’m not NOT on the roof.”

Winry walked barefoot out onto the balcony and looked up at Ed who was, in fact, standing on the roof right above the balcony with his arms full of snow.

“You’re going to kill yourself!” Winry yelled. “Get down from there!”

“But the roof has the best tactical advantage,” Ed said. 

“Get down from there,” she said, “or I’m going to come up there and beat your head in with my wrench.”

“Alright, alright,” Ed relented. He slid from the room down onto the balcony and ducked inside as Winry tried to swing at him.

“You’re such an idiot!” Winry continued as she shut her door. 

“It’s only been snowing for like ten minutes,” Ed said, shaking snow from his ponytail. “Relax!”

By the look on Ed’s face, Winry could tell he knew that was the wrong thing to say. She yelled in frustration and dove for him, but he dodged out of her way and out her door. Winry ran down the stairs after him and out the door, still not concerned about the fact she had no shoes on. He was off the front stairs when she pounced. 

Winry jumped at him, knocking him to the ground with a yelp as they fell into the snow.

“Winry, at least put shoes on before you kill him!” Al laughed.

Winry stood and pointed a finger at Al. “I’m mad at you too! I can’t believe you let him stay up there!”

Al raised his hands in defense. “I didn’t let him do anything! When it started to snow, I came down, and then he started throwing snow at me!”

Ed lied back in the snow and cocked a smile. “What’re you going to do if you broke my prosthetic just now?”

“Murder you with it,” Winry yelled over her shoulder as she walked back into the house, trying not to show how frozen her feet were in her face. She ran up the stairs and straight into her room, grabbing socks from her floor and pulling them on in an attempt to get them warm.

Winry turned her head sharply as a snowball hit the door to the balcony. She quickly stood and pulled on her slippers, stomping to the balcony door. She threw it open, grabbed a handful of snow, and launched it before she realized exactly what she was doing.

The snowball flew through the air, but fell short of its intended target; it hit Al in the back of the head and he yelped as it slid down his back. Ed immediately started cackling, falling into the snow as he clutched his stomach. Al kicked him as he shook snow out of the back of his shirt. Winry tried to keep her stern face but, eventually, broke and laughed herself into a fit.

“Come inside before you freeze to death,” Winry heard Granny say from below. “Honestly, it’s going to be a long couple of weeks.”

Notes:

this is just a (mostly) silly chapter but i LIKE IT so HERE IT IS.

chapter title: 'holiday' - madonna

Chapter 9: you can read me

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed walked slowly up the stairs, running his hand along the back of his head as he made his way toward his and Al’s shared room. It was four days into the break and he usually had no problems sleeping, but tonight was different; tonight he was having nightmares. An hour after falling asleep, he woke up breathing heavily and smelling smoke. For three hours he lied in bed staring at the ceiling and listening to Al breathe slowly, trying to use that sound to calm him down. He would close his eyes, though, and see himself dragging Al across the grass outside their house. Eventually, he gave up trying and relented to going to the kitchen to stare at chemistry formulas for an hour.

Ed was about to go into his and Al’s room when he noticed the light coming from the room at the end of the hallway. He made his way toward the door and poked his head around to see Winry sitting at her desk with her goggles on. She was wearing her pajamas but the flash of metal from her wrench that occasionally shined against the door signaled to Ed that she was hard at work. 

He knocked lightly on the doorframe. Winry turned her head toward him and Ed snorted at the sight of her in her goggles.

“Is this your version of a lullaby?” Ed asked.

“Ha ha,” she said as she pulled her goggles off. “What’re you doing?”

Ed shrugged, coming in and sitting on the floor at the edge of her bed. “Can’t sleep. You?”

“Me neither,” Winry responded, pulling her legs up to cross them on the chair. “Thought I’d get a jump on some work.”

“I think you’re the only person I know who would work instead of sleep.”

“You mean besides yourself?”

Ed held up his hands. “Okay, you got me there.”

“Were you doing some work now?”

“A little,” Ed said. “Mustang gave me labs to grade over the break so I got a jump on them.”

“I still can’t believe you’re a teacher,” Winry said, shaking her head.

“Teacher’s assistant,” Ed clarified.

“Still can’t believe it.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Ed said. “And what are you working on?”

“An arm.”

“I sometimes forget that you do other limbs.”

Winry jokingly rolled her eyes. “I’m complex, Edward. I’ve done many arms. I almost made you an arm.”

Ed raised an eyebrow. “When?”

Winry shrugged. “After the fire. It was just a plan for it, I never got to the phase of making it.” She turned and opened a drawer in her desk, rummaging through paper before pulling one out.

She turned back and handed it to Ed. He took it and looked over it in amazement. He would recognize Winry’s handwriting at any age, and this was unmistakably twelve-year-old Winry’s. The plan was so detailed, though, it was hard to believe she was so young when she made it. Ed had to clear the lump in his throat before looking up at her.

“This is incredible,” he said.

He could see Winry’s face starting to flush. “Oh, it’s nothing,” she said.

“No seriously,” Ed pressed. “This is amazing. Thank you for planning it.” He passed the drawing back to her.

“Well,” Winry said with a shrug. “Despite how much I love working on prosthetics, I’m glad you were able to keep your arm. I can only take you destroying one limb.”

Ed laughed. “That’s true. The arm would’ve probably taken a couple of beatings.”

Winry laughed and turned to put the drawing back in her drawer. Ed watched as her shoulders tensed and she hesitated before turning back around to him. 

“Can I ask you a question?”

Ed raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

“Why didn’t you tell your friends about how you lost your leg?”

Ed had expected this question from her at some point. He tried to shrug it off, but was avoiding making eye contact with her. “Does it matter?“

“They’ve been your friends for a while,” Winry said. “Ling was your roommate. It just seems…strange that you never told them.”

Ed rubbed the back of his head. “Don’t know. It never came up and-“

“Don’t lie.” Ed looked at her to see Winry staring hard at him, her eyes shining. “Not to me.”

Ed looked down at the floor. It was true; he had never been able to lie to her. He didn’t ask her for advice, never texted, kept things as close to the chest as possible, but he could never lie to her. She somehow always caught him.

Ed breathed out slowly, trying not to picture one of the worst days, weeks, months of his life. “Because then we would’ve gotten into what caused the fire. And I would’ve had to say it was my fault.”

“Ed, it wasn’t-“

“Yes it was,” Ed cut her off. “I was angry at Hohenheim for not coming home againI started the fire to burn all of his shit, I fell asleep before putting it completely out. It doesn’t matter that Al was there or that he helped or he fell asleep too. It was my idea. My fault.”

"You were a child."

"I'm the older brother," Ed said, looking at her hard. "I should've looked out better for him."

Ed looked down at feet again, one real, one not, and saw his house burning again. He could hear the ambulance sirens and his own voice screaming out for Al as the paramedics tried to keep him still. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. In the back of his mind, Ed felt the question he asked himself almost every day bubble up again: would he ever forgive himself? Ed pushed his bangs out of his face as he opened his eyes. He knew the answer. 

He only looked up when he heard Winry sniffling and saw her hastily brush away tears. He shook his head.

“Dummy,” Ed breathed. “What are you crying for?”

Even through tears, her gaze was strong. “Because you never do.”

Ed shrugged. “I guess that’s fair.”

They were silent for a bit as Winry used her shirt to wipe her face. As always, it was Winry who eventually broke the silence.

“I remember,” Winry said, “in the hospital, when your hair started getting long.”

Ed laughed. “Granny brought her own scissors to try and cut it. My nurses were so scared of her.”

“Most people are,” Winry agreed. “There’s no stopping a 5-foot woman with scissors.”

“Or you,” Ed pointed out.

Winry crossed her arms over her chest. “What does that mean?”

“You were determined to make it look ‘presentable’, even though I was lying in a hospital bed.”

“It was a mess! It looked like birds had started nesting in it!”

"Again," Ed said, "I was in a hospital bed. I didn't have a leg!"

"You were the one who wanted to keep it long," Winry shot back. "You had to learn the high maintenance of it eventually."

“I still remember you ripping my hair out trying to braid it,” Ed laughed.

“Now, I resent the word ‘trying’ to braid it,” Winry pouted. “I did braid it eventually and I think it looked fine.”

Ed rolled his eyes. “It looked like a ten-year-old had attempted to brain my hair, is what it looked like -"

"To be fair, that IS what happened."

"-I think Al’s first words when they brought him out of his coma was ‘what happened to you?’.”

Winry laughed. “I think you yelled at him, though, because eventually, you thought it looked cool.”

“Yeah, when I started doing it.”

Winry threw her grease rag at him. “You’re so annoying.”

Ed responded by throwing it back but laughed when he did. His laughter died as a question started to form in his mind. He didn’t want to ask, but it was something he had thought about before and, eventually, he couldn’t help it.

“Do you think about it?” Ed asked. “When you and Granny found us?”

Winry blinked a few times; clearly, she was caught off guard. She started picking at her nails. “Yeah,” Winry whispered. “I do. I dream about it sometimes, seeing the smoke from here and running up the hill toward your house with Granny. And…” Her voice broke. “And you guys. On your front lawn.”

Ed stared at her. “I’m sorry.” It sounded so lame, but it was the only thing Ed could think to say.

Winry shook her head. “It’s fine.”

They were silent again. For once, though, this time Ed broke the silence.

“I bet you also have nightmares about my ruined prosthetics,” he said.

Winry rolled her eyes. “I don’t need to have nightmares about that, it’s my daily reality.”

“It’s hardly that often.”

“It might as well be!” Winry exclaimed. “Look, I’ve kept count.” She turned to her desk drawer and pulled out a notebook. 

“You what?!”

“I’ve basically created my own scientific experiment!”

“You’re fucking crazy.”

Despite the yelling back and forth of insults and bad nicknames, Ed secretly loved the bickering, which continued through the night until the sun came up and Al pounded on the door telling them both to shut up.

Notes:

i don't mean to publish every 10 days or so but i guess i'm now in this rhythm so maybe it'll keep going? who knows

thank you to everyone who's commented/left kudos/read this, it makes my heart very happy :)

Chapter 10: love on the brain

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A: Good morning, May!

M: good morning, alphonse! :)

A: How are you today?

M: going a bit out of my mind, honestly.

A: Ling again?

M: he’s called me twice already today, trying to convince me to come hang out at Fu’s.

M: i also woke up to at least ten messages.

A: That’s kind of sweet.

M: he’s just greedy and wants to have everyone in one place that has nothing to do with our parents.

A: Is that not sweet?

M: it is...

M: he’s just been very…eager since i started at amestris prep.

A: I thought he was always that way.

M: yeah but now he just REALLY wants to try and take care of me.

A: And that’s…bad?

M: haha it is but i just...

M: idk i don’t need to be taken care of.

A: Oh, I know that, you don’t need to tell me.

M: haha thanks?

A: It was a compliment :)

M: well, thank you.

A: It can be nice, though, to let people take care of you when they care about you.

M: i guess.

M: changing the subject, how are you?

A: TIRED.

M: ed and winry again?

A: Yep. Fourth night in a row. 

M: why must we be cursed with such siblings?

A: We must have done something really bad in a previous life.

M: what are they even talking about every night?

A: I don’t know but, since it’s them, it always ends in some kind of yelling match which wakes me up.

M: are you sure they’re not together?

A: Oh I know they’re together. Everyone knows they’re together. They just don’t know they’re together.

M: haha i see!

A: I think even if they were hit by a truck that said ‘YOU LOVE EACH OTHER’ on the side of it they still wouldn’t get it

M: they definitely will though. i can sense it.

A: Haha do you have a love radar or something?

M: yes, i’m quite the romantic, alphonse.

A: Hm. Duly Noted.

M: my sense of romance is telling me that someday soon they will finally get it.

M: winry first though.

A: Oh absolutely, that’s a given.

M: twenty bucks says they’re together by the end of the school year.

A: DEAL

M: we should probably set rules...

A: Fair

M: number one - you are NOT allowed to interfere with the experiment!

A: Why would I interfere?

M: to keep your twenty bucks which i am obviously going to win!!

A: Honestly, I hope you’re right. Maybe I’d finally get some peace.

M: number two - neither of them can know we have a bet on them.

A: I don’t know about you but I don’t have a death wish so I’m not going to tell them.

M: good point!

M: number three - i’d like to be updated when it seems like i’m winning :)

A: So you can brag?

M: obviously :)

A: Question: Do I get money back if Ed is the first one to realize?

M: i thought we agreed there was small chance of that?

A: There is, but I have to account for all possibilities.

M: hmm i’ll get back to you on that one...

***

“Oi! Al!”

Al looked up from his phone at the sound of his name; this was a mistake, as he was immediately hit with a pillow to the face. He tossed it back to Ed who was sitting the chair across from him with a groan.

“What was that for?!” Al asked. “I’m just sitting here!”

“You’re smiling like a weirdo,” Ed said. “It’s creeping me the fuck out.”

“Stop staring at me then!”

“I’m boooooored.” Ed threw himself dramatically over the armrest of the chair. 

“Go do something then,” Al suggested, “instead of sitting here watching me text.”

“Who’re you texting?” Ed asked.

Al could feel his face getting warm. “None of your business.”

“Is it May?”

“I said it’s none of your business!”

“Are you sexting?”

“Brother!” Now his face really was warm. “Where’s Winry? Go bother her.”

“She’s working,” Ed said. “She threw me about an hour ago.”

“You tried her before you tried me?”

“Yeah, so?”

“Interesting.” Al immediately went to his phone and gave a point to May. 

“What’re you texting?” Ed asked.

“You’re so nosy,” Al said.

“Are you talking about me?”

“You’re also paranoid.”

Ed threw the cushion back at Al’s face. “Why are you talking about me?”

Al rolled his eyes. “I’m telling the world about my brother and best friend who for the past four days have started yelling at each other at 3 AM.”

“We were not up until 3 AM last night.”

“Oh really? Were you woken up in the middle of the night by two people arguing about the rules of gin rummy?”

“She was wrong!” Ed yelled, sitting up straight. “There was no difference, so the ten-point bonus was supposed to remain!”

“Why were you playing gin rummy at 3 AM anyway?” Al said, already giving an update to May.

“Because Winry found cards in the kitchen when she got us snacks.”

“Adorable. Do you go on dates with all of your girlfriends in the middle of the night?”

“Give me my pillow back,” Ed said. “I need something to throw at you.”

Notes:

lalalalala another silly chapter. thanks again to everyone reading/commenting/kudos-ing!!! :) :) :)

chapter title: 'love on the brain' - rihanna

Chapter 11: and this is how it starts

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry stretched her arms over her head, arching her back with a groan before opening the window. The only problem with baking was the amount of time she spent hunched over the counter and how unbelievably hot it got in the kitchen from the oven. She had promised her boys an apple pie on their last day at home, though, and they had spent most of the day doing chores around the house for Granny so it was the least she could do. 

She had closed her eyes for only a second when she heard something behind her. She realized too late that it was the sound of uneven footsteps sneaking up behind her, and she opened her eyes and whipped around as Ed pulled his hand out of the bowl of cinnamon apples.

“Edward!” she yelled, grabbing a wooden spoon as he grabbed the bowl and made for the kitchen door. “Get away from those!”

“You let Al have some!” Ed exclaimed through a mouthful.

“Because he asked nicely!” Winry went after him as he entered the living room. “Do you want a pie or not?” She raised the spoon over her head.

Ed held the bowl over his head and held out a finger. “Say please.”

“Oh my god, how old are you?!”

“Say it! And put the spoon down!”

Winry rolled her eyes and stuck the spoon in the pocket of her apron. She put her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes. 

“Please,” she said in a flat voice.

Ed considered for a minute before lowering the bowl and handing it back. She took it and turned to go back to the kitchen.

“Could’ve said it a little nicer,” Ed mumbled.

Winry had the spoon out and had turned back around before Ed had the chance to move back. She pointed it in his face.

“I’m warning you Ed-“ She stopped, her annoyance suddenly gone. 

Her arm was raised. So were her eyes. 

Ed had both hands up and was giving her a weird look. “What?”

Winry looked down at their feet to confirm neither of them was wearing shoes then looked back up. She lowered her spoon.

Ed had lowered his hands but was still giving her a weird look. “What?!” he repeated.

“You’re taller than me,” Winry said.

“What?”

“You’re taller than me!”

“I know. I’ve been telling you that for a month now.”

“Yeah, but I never actually believed you.” Winry stuck the spoon back in her pocket and put the bowl down on the table. “Turn around.”

“What?” Ed said as Winry pushed against his arm. 

“Turn around!”

They stood back to back and Winry put her hand on top of her head, moving it back until it hit the back of Ed’s skull right where his chin would be.

She heard the stairs creak as footsteps approached before they suddenly stopped. “What are you guys doing?” she heard Al say.

“Al!” Winry said. “How much taller is Ed than I am?”

Al came down the rest of the stairs and stood to the side of them. “You’re, like, a little taller than his chin.”

“What?!” She turned to face Al.

“I told you,” Ed said slyly. 

“Are you still making pie?” Al asked wandering over to the apple bowl.

“Yes,” Winry said, “once I get over this shock.”

"Who's the shorty now," Ed bragged.

“I knew this would be a big deal to Ed,” Al said, taking an apple slice, “but I didn’t think it would be a big deal to you.”

Winry took the bowl. “It’s not! It’s just…weird.”

Al looked at her with a raised eyebrow, pulling his phone from his back pocket.

“What?” Winry snapped. 

Al shrugged as he looked down at his phone. “Nothing.”

“What’s going on?” Granny asked as she walked up from the basement.

“I’m taller than Winry,” Ed practically sang. “Significantly taller.”

“Still look tiny to me,” Granny said, taking out her pipe and making her way to the front door. 

“Fuck you!”

“Watch your mouth!” Granny said. “I don’t care how tall or not tall you are, this pipe will always be able to reach your eye.”

Winry turned from the scene and went back to the kitchen. Al was right; why was this such a big deal to her? So Ed was taller than her. Despite what she said their entire childhood, it was bound to happen eventually. Still, her head felt slightly foggy for some reason.

She casually poked her head around the kitchen door and stared at Ed’s back as he yelled at Granny. Were his shoulders wider as well?

She caught sight of Al staring at her, a smirk crossing his face as he leaned against the table.

“What?” Winry said.

“Need something?” Al asked in an innocent voice.

“No,” Winry feigned innocence. “Just...wanting to see if Granny finally kills him.”

“Uh-huh. Sure.”

Winry went back into the kitchen, shaking her head to try and get rid of whatever weird feeling had started to cloud it. Why did everything suddenly feel so weird? She took a breath; maybe it was just the heat from the oven or she hadn't gotten enough sleep, but her mind kept wandering to the thought of Ed's shoulders. 

She took another breath and tried once again to shake the feeling and the image. Ed wasn’t going to make it easy though; he burst into the kitchen and sat on the counter next to her. 

“I swear, if she didn’t practically raise us, I would’ve punched her years ago,” he grumbled.

“You’re assuming you’d be able to,” Winry answered staring at the flour pile in front of her. 

“I think I could take her.”

“Then you’re crazier than I thought you were.”

Ed groaned and pulled out his phone. “Can I chill here or am I in your way?”

“No,” Winry said quickly. “That’s fine.”

Winry rolled out dough on the counter for a minute, shooting glances at Ed every once and a while as he scrolled through his phone.

His hair had gotten long, his ponytail passing the tops of his shoulders and his bangs hitting his jaw. Every once and a while, he shook his head to get them out of his face. His jaw had gotten more defined too. 

She didn’t notice she was properly staring at him until he looked up, his golden-brown eyes meeting hers. 

“What?” Ed said. “Do I have something on my face?”

Winry looked down fast. “No.” She picked up some flour with her fingertips, turned, and flicked it into his face. He sputtered and coughed as Winry laughed.

“Now you do,” she said.

Ed rolled his eyes, jumping off the counter and moving to the sink. “Can’t wait to get out of here tomorrow,” he said as he splashed his face with water.

“Aw, but won’t you miss me?”

“No,” Ed responded, passing her to the door. “Going back to radio silence.”

Winry shrugged. “Suit yourself.”

She walked Ed walk outside and continued to stare at him out the window as he sat on the back stairs before she finally remembered what it was she was supposed to be doing.

Notes:

the slow burn is heating up (omg i hate myself for saying that but i'm leaving it lol)

chapter title: 'sex' - the 1975

Chapter 12: when your name lights up the screen

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

January 4
Morning

E: they came to school together

W: What?

E: mustang and hawkeye

E: they came back IN THE SAME CAR

W: Oh, your teachers that you’re weirdly obsessed with

E: i am not weirdly obsessed with them

W: You’re spying on them right now!

E: they got here while i was already outside

W: Is that code for “my binoculars were trained on them”?

E: ignoring that

E: so i was rite

W: Them coming to school in the same car does not prove a relationship

E: but it could

E: admit it

W: I mean it COULD but it doesn’t

W: Following that logic people doing anything together could prove a relationship

E: why do i even bother

W: Because you want to brag about being right

E: u think u know me sooo well

W: Because I do??

E: w/e

W: Oh come on. You know that if they had been making out by the car instead of just getting out of it together, you would be bragging right now

E: W/E

W: Typing a shortened version of a word in caps doesn't have the same affect as just NOT BEING LAZY AND TYPING OUT THE WORD

E: bite me

January 5
Afternoon

W: Enthalpy is H=E+PV right?

E: yeh

E: y?

W: Chem quiz

E: ooo r u cheating

W: Ha ha

W: I just walked out of the room, my flashcards are in my backpack, I wanted to make sure I got it right

E: y didnt u google it?

W: Why google when I can bug you for it and know you’ll give me the answer though?

E: …

E: fuck

W: Told you I knew you

E: ugh

E: u had a quiz two days after break?

W: Honors chem waits for no man or break

E: fair

E: still mean tho

W: Tell me about it

E: even mustangs not that much of a dick

January 7
Afternoon

E: hawkeye BROUGHT HIM LUNCH

W: This is now officially stalking

E: i was in mustangs classroom

E: its not like im following them

W: You might as well be

W: Why were you in Mustang’s classroom during lunch?

E: setting up a sophomore lab

W: Hm, I thought maybe the golden child got busted doing something wrong

E: u realize ur talking to me and not al rite?

W: You're ADMITTING that you're not the golden child?

E: fuuuuck

W: Seriously I think I could get you to say anything

E: also u go to the library for detention with hawkeye

W: Do you know this from experience?

W: Ed?

W: Omg you definitely do

W: What’d you do?

W: Tell me

E: omg would u leave me alone?!

E: y would this be a surprise to u anyway?

W: Because I never heard about it!

E: y would u have? 

W: I’m surprised Al never said anything

E: for ur info al also does shit he just never gets caught

W: Not surprised by that at all

E: ur not surprised he does shit?

W: No, that he doesn't get caught

W: You're too loud not to get caught

E: fucking gearhead weirdo

January 8
Morning

W: It was something with Ling, wasn’t it?

E: wut was something w ling?

W: The reason you got detention

E: r u fucking serious

W: There’s no way that you two went three years at that school without getting into trouble together

E: it was me ling AND lan fan for ur info

W: But Lan Fan would never get caught

W: ‘She’s practically a ninja’ I think was the quote?

E: ur so fucking annoying

W: How many times did you get detention exactly?

E: enough to b a ta now

W: Wait seriously??

E: yeh

E: last year mustang said i could ta for the rest of the term or be suspended

W: And what about this year?

E: volunteered

W: What did you and Ling even do to almost get suspended?

E: just a bunch of stupid shit

E: not signing out when we should, cut class a few times, pranks on the teachers and stuff

W: Pranks on your teachers?!

E: mostly mustang

E: he took it in stride but bradley had to stop it

W: And then Mustang stuck up for you?

E: said i needed someplace to ‘channel my energy’

W: And Ling?

E: hes student council president

W: Liar

E: no seriously

E: they put him on council end of last year

E: this year he won

W: That’s…unexpected

E: hes pretty decent at it

W: And that’s put a stop to all of your pranks?

E: more or less

E: who would we be without the stupid stuff

W: Haha fair

W: Can I ask what your father said?

E: he was ‘disappointed’ or whatever

E: said i was being a child

E: hohenheim isnt exactly high on my prio list

W: Right

W: I have to say, this is a weird change of pace

E: wut does that mean

W: You actually volunteering information instead of me having to pry it out of you

E: first time for everything i guess

W: For someone you claim is a dick, Mustang does seem to help you out a lot

E: just cuz he helps me doesnt mean hes not a dick

W: Should've seen that answer coming

Afternoon

W: What is this link you sent me?

E: card game app

E: can play gin if u want

W: Oh, cool. I think I have room on my phone.

E: might have to delete all of ur porn

W: I actually hate you

January 10
Afternoon

W: It’s your turn

W: Ed

W: EDWARD

W: ED

W: WARD

W: EL

W: RIC

E: fucking hell wtf is ur problem?!

W: It’s your turn

E: its SUNDAY

E: the day of REST

E: i was RESTING

W: It’s 2 PM! Get up and take your turn!

E: y r u so eager

E: id like to remind u it took u three hours to take ur turn yesterday

W: Bored

W: Also I was working yesterday

E: there happy?

W: Thank you!

E: going back to sleep now

W: Don’t you dare

E: shouldve never sent u this

W: Exactly, you have no one to blame but yourself

W: So you should stay awake and take your turns

E: fine im getting up

W: I honestly don’t know how you sleep so late

E: its a skill ive perfected

W: Clearly

W: How’s your leg by the way?

E: still in one piece

W: This might be a new record

E: ha ha

E: sry to ruin ur experiment

W: I’d rather you ruin the experiment than the leg

E: lol fair enough

E: might actually be a while before u see us again

W: Doubt it. But please try and surprise me and keep your leg together

E: i cant decide if i want to break it just to spite u or keep it together to spite u

W: That’s quite an impasse you’ve reached

E: ill keep u posted

E: y the random question about my leg?

W: I was organizing this morning, found some old plans

E: u?! organizing?!

E: u must have been REALLY bored

W: I know you're trying to get a rise out of me, but I really REALLY was

E: how old were the plans?

W: For a normal person? Years and years back

W: For you? Only a few models ago.

E: fine ill take that one since u took the organizing crack so well

W: Look at us, being so mature

E: probably won't last long

W: Speak for yourself

January 11
Morning

E: bored

E: bored bored bored bored

E: bored

W: Maybe you should pay attention to the class you’re probably in? Like I’m trying to do?

E: not in class

E: office hours and mustang isnt here so here i wait for students who have questions

W: Wouldn’t the students have class?

E: some of them do a lot have study hall

E: mustang has 2 sets of office hours

W: Ah. Are you doing both?

E: no just this one

W: Oh, good, then maybe I can learn something today instead of being bothered by you

E: i helped u yesterday when u were bored

W: Neither of us were doing anything

E: i was sleeping!!

W: Like I said yesterday it was 2 IN THE AFTERNOON

E: wuts ur point??

W: Oh my god

E: wut class r u in?

W: World history

E: and u want to actually pay attention to that?

W: No, but I’m supposed to!!!

W: Also Paninya keeps giving me looks

E: tell her to shove it

W: I’ll pass that message to her

E: thnx

E: y is she giving u weird looks?

W: I’m not very good at texting in class

E: ur so lame

W: You know maybe I should just leave you to your boredom

E: fine i take it back

W: Wow, you must be REALLY bored

E: yah im pretty desperate

E: i now understand y u started organizing yesterday

W: I’ll try not to take too much offense at that

W: Why not text Al?

E: hes in gym

W: Ah

E: he also has this class and the next one with may so i basically dont exist

W: How’s that going?

E: idk good?? they text CONSTANTLY

W: SO cute

E: makes me want to gag

W: Sounds like she doesn’t have the same cold feet as her brother?

E: r u kidding? shes almost too eager

E: wouldnt be surprised if i went back to our room and theres a sock on the door

W: Do people still do that?

E: im sure ill find out soon

W: Well, what did you used to do to Ling?

E: tell him to fuck off which he would ignore

W: So you did bring ladies back to your room

E: jealous?

W: I feel sorry for them, clearly they have bad taste

E: i would block u if i didnt still have ten min left

W: You always claim you’re going to block me and you never have

E: one day

W: Sure

W: Did Ling tell you the same if he ever asked a girl over?

E: the only girl he ever had over was lan fan and thats not going anywhere

W: Wait seriously?? I pegged him as a big flirt

E: he is but he never follows thru

E: too in love with lan fan

W: Still cannot believe that's never happened

E: i told u hes too chicken shit

W: Paninya wants to know why you’re trusted with children

E: i cant help but admit that that is a valid question

W: She’s amending her question to why you’re trusted with anything

E: did u tell her to shove it?

W: She’s reading over my shoulder

E: SHOVE IT PAN

W: She saw the message

E: good

January 10
Afternoon

W: Are you and Ling coming with us tomorrow for dinner?

E: ???

W: Me, Pan, Lan Fan, May, and Al are meeting up for dinner tomorrow.

E: wtf???? y was i not invited???

W: Am I not inviting you right now?

E: not really ur acting as if i already knew

W: I thought you did, Al said he was going to text you

E: oh wait

E: he did send me a message

W: You’re unbelievable

E: sry that i was BUSY

W: So are you coming?

E: yah sure

E: how exactly did this happen?

W: Me and Pan invited Lan Fan and May, May invited Al, Al invited you, and I think Lan Fan's inviting Ling

E: r we crashing a girls thing or something?

W: No, Pan wants to try that new place by the mall and she has a groupon

E: remind me to harass her about having groupon

W: No I will not

E: ur no fun

E: so may invited al…

W: Leave them alone Edward

E: i didnt even say anything

W: Yeah but I know you and I’m telling you to leave them alone

E: seriously

E: no fun at all

E: should me and al feel weird that u and pan have a groupchat with lan fan and may?

W: You'll never know

January 10
Night

A: They’ve been texting all day for three days in a row. And when they’re not texting, they’re playing cards.

M: i ~tooooold~ you

A: Tomorrow night should be interesting.

M: love is in the air alphonse!

Notes:

i hope this reads okay, i do not know the best way to write text messages. i blame the fact that i am lame -_-

chapter title: 'joy' - bastille

Chapter 13: catching feelings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry stood in front of her mirror for the fourth time in the fourth outfit she had put on since deciding to get ready for dinner. Usually, Winry would just go in whatever she had worn to school, but the grease-stained jeans and old long-sleeved shirt she had worn today didn't seem good enough for some reason unknown to her. Unfortunately, she suddenly hated all of her clothes.

She heard Granny let Paninya in the front door when she finally decided on an outfit: a pink button-up with nice jeans and her hair down.

"Whoa." Winry turned to the door as she quickly pulled a brush through her hair and saw Paninya looking wide-eyed around the room. "Did a bomb go off?"

"Ha ha." She turned around to say that it wasn't that bad, but when she saw the room, Winry couldn't help but agree with Paninya; she had made a bit of a mess in her quest to find something to wear.

"I didn't realize it was so bad," Winry said with a shrug.

"You look nice," Paninya said sitting on the bed. "What's the occasion?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you're in a totally different outfit than you were in when I saw you 3 hours ago and this one is significantly nicer."

"Gee thanks."

"Oh come on," Paninya said with an eye roll, folding a few shirts Winry had discarded on the bed. "You know it is."

Winry shrugged again. "Just felt like changing, is all."

Paninya raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. Winry heard her phone ping on the bed but, before she could get to it, Paninya had pushed her folded stack away and picked it up.

"It's Ed," Paninya said.

Winry held out her hand for her phone, but Paninya continued to stare at it.

"What?" Winry said.

"These are a looot of text messages," Painya said as Winry finally realized she was scrolling.

"Paninya!" Winry ran over to the bed as Paninya scrambled backward to stay out of reach. When Paninya's back hit the wall, Winry managed to snatch her phone away, her ears burning. She made a mental note to change her password.

"I thought Ed never stayed in contact," Paninya laughed.

"Well, he has been since break," Winry said, eyes on her phone.

"And, what, you text every minute of every day?"

Winry rolled her eyes. "No."

"I think I only got halfway through messages from just today, so it seems like every minute." Paninya stretched out on Winry's bed with a smirk.

"Well, it isn't." Winry put her phone in her bag after responding to Ed, who was once again complaining about how long it took Ling to do anything. 

"You've also been playing a lot of games through that app, haven't you?" Paninya mentioned. "You're always playing during lunch."

"So?"

Paninya shrugged. "Just an observation."

Winry rolled her eyes again and put her hands on her hips. "Are you going to be making anymore observations or can we go?"

Paninya sat up. "Nope, I'm ready. Can't say I won't have more observations later though."

***

P: something weeeeird is going on

A: What do you mean?

P: i got to winry's house and she had changed from what she wore to school and there were clothes all over the place like she couldn't make up her mind and she decided to wear her hair down

A: That is odd

P: WAIT

P: IT GETS WEIRDER

P: i stole her phone and HAPPENED to see her messages with ed

P: do you know how often they've been texting lately?

A: Yeah, it's been all the time for the past couple of days

P: SO WEIRD

A: What'd Winry say?

P: she said it was nothing

P: 'just felt like changing' 'we're just staying in touch' blah blah blah

P: oh also we're on our way

P: winry told me to tell you that but i had to mention this first

A: Cool, we're about to leave. And thank you for the intel

P: ok cool and you're welcome i just needed someone to confirm that it's weird

A: It definitely is...

***

"Things seem to be moving very quickly," May said.

"They do indeed," Al replied.

Al had immediately drifted to May's side when everyone had gotten out of Lan Fan's car at Leto's. They floated to the back so Al could fill May in on everything Paninya had texted him; it had worked out in his favor that, because Ed was only a few feet ahead, May had to get close and he had to lean his head down so she could hear him.

Although a lot of their back and forth messages and their in-person conversations were about his brother's non-existent relationship, Al gladly took the excuse to talk to May as frequently as possible. The conversations usually started with one of them texting about the Edward/Winry situation, then floated to other topics. In a short amount of time, he learned that her favorite color was pink, she had a black and white cat named Shao May, and she eventually wanted to be a physician-scientist. 

"I doubt anything will happen tonight," May said as Al held the door to the restaurant open for her.

"Why do you say that?" Al asked.

May shook her braids after pulling her hat off. "Too soon. Also, doesn't sound like Winry has realized anything so the bet is still on and you can keep your money for now."

"Our bet is if they're together by the end of the year," Al pointed out. "Even if Winry realizes it and by some miracle or a baseball bat to the head, Ed does too, there's still a chance I can keep my money."

"Why are we hitting Ed with a bat?" Lan Fan said, turning around as they walked to a table in the back. "Can I do it?"

"What?!" Ed snapped, stopping at the front of the pack. "I didn't do anything!"

"You were incredibly rude to me before we left campus," Ling offered.

"Yeah, because you were twenty minutes late you ass." Ed swung a hand at Ling's head which he easily dodged.

"Can you try and not get us kicked out?" Paninya said, standing as the group finally reached the table she and Winry were sitting at. "I'm starving."

"So am I," Ling announced.

"You're always starving," Ed grumbled as he slid across the booth to sit next to Winry. As Al slid down with May, he noticed Winry flick her hair over her shoulder as she looked at Ed. Al gave a sly look to May who smiled back.

"What're you looking so smug about?" Ed said to Al. 

Al shrugged. "Nothing."

"Did you at least try to convince him not to wear the sweatshirt?" Winry asked.

Ed grinned. "No one will ever win that fight."

Winry rolled her eyes. "I can see that."

"So I hear there's some kind of coupon or something?" Ling asked, scouring the menu.

"Yes," Paninya said. "Two for one apps and two for one entrees."

"So if I get three apps and three entrees..." Lan Fan trailed off.

"You two are unbelievable," May said. She turned to Al. "Do you want to share something?"

Al felt his cheeks turn pink. "Um, yeah, sure. That sounds good." He looked up to see Ed raise his eyebrows with a smile. He looked back down at the menu in response.

Paninya leaned around Ed to Winry. "Any idea what you're getting?"

Winry breathed out. "No. I would get this nacho-thing but it looks huge."

"I'll eat it with you," Ed said.

Winry looked up, as did Al. It wasn't like Ed to share food. "Really?" Winry asked, the surprise obvious in her voice.

Ed shrugged. "Yeah. Looks good."

"Okay," Winry said. She looked back at Paninya. "I'm getting nachos."

"Hm," Paninya said, leaning back. She looked over her menu at Al with her eyebrows raised.

"Is this going to be one of those situations, though," Winry asked, "where you say you'll split it but end up eating it all yourself?"

"When have I ever done that?!" Ed yelled.

"For years you've done that!" Winry exclaimed. "Al and I had to stop sharing with you forever ago!"

"Please leave me out of this," Al said with a laugh. He felt his phone buzz in his pocket and pulled it out to see a text from May, who smiled sideways at him with her phone under the table. 

told you

Notes:

yikes did not realize it had been so long since i last updated. time really is nonexistent.

thank you again for all the comments/kudos/views/etc. it really all does make me smile :)

chapter title: 'catching feelings' - drax project feat. SIX60

Chapter 14: you just keep spinning

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed was trying his best to focus on grading labs in the library, labs he should've been finished with the day before, when Ling dropped himself in the chair across from him with a loud thud.

"Fuck off, I'm busy," Ed said.

"You've only got three labs left," Ling answered, pulling gummy worms from his bag. "I can see them."

"Exactly so I'm still working. Fuck off."

Ed heard the rustle of a bag and looked up to see Ling offering the bag of candy to him. Ed glared but reached out and took a few worms.

"You seem tense," Ling said. 

"Only because you're here," Ed replied dropping a worm in his mouth.

"You were irritated before I sat down, I could sense it from the door."

"I'm not irritated, I'm just behind. I thought I would be finished with this an hour ago."

"What's the hold-up?"

As if on cue, Ed's phone buzzed. He immediately put his work and scrambled to pick up his phone. He didn't even have to look to know it was Winry. Lately, he was surprised when someone other than her texted him.

"And there's the answer to that question," Ling said with a nod. 

Ed rolled his eyes as he typed back a response to Winry's text.

"How come I didn't know this person existed for two years and now suddenly she's everywhere?" Ling asked.

"What're you talking about?" Ed put his phone down and tried to return to his work but he was waiting for his phone to buzz again. For the past week, he had been in a cycle of waiting for his phone to buzz and typing back messages and then waiting for his phone to buzz again. 

"You've been texting a lot," Ling pointed out, "and it's always Winry."

"So what? We're teenagers, isn't that what we do?"

"Not you. You have an aversion to communicating."

"Bite me."

"It wasn't an insult, it's just an observation."

"Here's another one: you're a dick."

Ling sighed, signaling to Ed that he had (thankfully) given up on this conversation. "So, are we going to this party tomorrow?" Ling asked.

"Which party is that?" Ed said as he tried to decide whether or not to give a student half credit for their answer.

"Paninya said we were invited to a Central party."

Ed snorted. "No she didn't. She said her and Winry were invited to a Central party. Lan Fan said we should crash and Paninya said that would be hilarious."

"Exactly, so are we going?"

Ed groaned. "I don't feel like hanging out with a bunch of drunk Central kids on a Friday night. Or a drunk you for that matter."

Ling wiped sugar off of his hands and crumbled up the empty worms bag. "Suit yourself. I think Lan Fan and I might attend."

"Have fun," Ed said glancing at his silent phone. "If it's just you two, maybe you'll actually make a move this weekend."

Ling chuckled and stood. "I could probably say the same to you."

"What?!" Ed snapped looking up as Ling made his way out of the library.

"Your phone is buzzing again," Ling said over his shoulder.

***

W: And here comes Russell

E: third times the charm i guess?

W: Four, I'm not sure I told you about the third

E: what was his strategy for the third?

W: Him and a friend stood next to me in chem and he was like "yeah so I'm not sure I bought enough beer for the party. Should probably get a count of who's actually coming"

E: idk if that actually counts

W: Trust me, if you saw it happen, you would count it

E: guess ill have to trust u on that one

W: Are you guys actually crashing tomorrow?

E: so weird u ask

E: ling was just bugging me about it

W: We must have a psychic connection or something

E: ugh plz dont say that to him

W: I'll do my best

W: So what was the verdict?

E: Ling and Lan Fan will probably go

W: Al's going too

E: he is?? tf?

W: He just texted asking if that was REALLY okay

W: I guess May has dropped hints more than once about wanting to go

E: hes so whipped

W: What about you?

E: i dont have anyone to be whipped for

W: LOL no I meant are you going to go to the party?

E: are u guys?

W: Paninya definitely is. I'm on the fence.

W: And you?

W: Ed?

E: sorry was walking back to my room

W: Right

W: So are you going to go?

E: eh idk

W: Oh come on, it could be fun

E: didnt u just say ur on the fence?

W: I might be coming off it. It's something to do at least

E: ur not working?

W: Saturday afternoon, no clients in the morning

E: ah

W: So...?

E: ill think about it

***

By this point, Ed had flopped on his back in his and Al's room; Al had yet to make an appearance. He chewed his lip and blew his bangs out of his face with a sigh. 

Did he actually want to go to this party? No. Not even a little bit. Still, there was something in the back of his mind that was nagging him to go, and he didn't know what it was or why it was. 

Usually, Ed wouldn't hesitate to say no and feel no shame about doing so. But this time...

Ed sat up as the door opened and Al came in, placing his bag over in the corner.

"When were you going to tell me you're crashing the party tomorrow?" Ed asked.

Al blinked. "How do you know that? I literally just told Winry."

"She told me."

Al rolled his eyes before sitting down on his bed. "Oh, that's right, I forgot you two are in constant communication now."

Ed narrowed his eyes. "We're not in constant communication."

Al held up his hands. "Sure, whatever. But yes, me and May are going to the party."

"How are you getting there?"

Al shrugged. "I'm driving."

"So May can get bombed?"

"No, she doesn't drive."

Ed raised an eyebrow. "Really?" His surprise evaporated quickly though. "Actually, wait, that's probably better. She'd be a scary driver."

"You are not allowed to say that about anyone. Ever."

Ed shrugged. "So you don't mind playing chauffeur?"

Al shook his head. "No. I'd rather drive and look after her anyway."

Ed gagged which prompted Al to throw his shoe at him. "Like she needs anyone to look after her anyway," Ed said in the midst of ducking.

"I know," Al agreed. "But still."

Al's phone buzzed as he was talking and he slipped it out of his pocket.

"I guess I'm also driving Ling and Lan Fan," Al said reading. "I'm not even going to ask how they knew I was driving."

"Ling has eyes and ears everywhere," Ed grumbled. He looked down at his messages, scrolling up and down past Winry's "So...?". He chewed on his lip again.

Suddenly, Ed pushed his bangs out of his face and jumped up.

"Where are you going?" Al asked. 

"I'll be back in a bit," Ed answered, closing the door. He zipped up his hoodie and shoved his hands in his pockets as he made his way down the hallway, part of his brain trying to talk him out of it while the other part was not hearing any of it.

He knocked twice on Lan Fan's door before Ling swung it open.

"Can we help you?" Ling asked.

"You," Ed said, jabbing a finger at his chest, "are buying me whiskey. Apparently, there's only going to be beer and I'm not drinking the cheap crap this Russell kid is buying."

"Wait," he heard Lan Fan call from within before she came to the door, "you're going?"

"Looks that way," Ed responded. "Are you driving us to the liquor store or not?"

Notes:

does this chapter title relate to the actual chapter content? maybe not so much. am i currently obsessed with the song it comes from and that's why i'm using it? yes.

also, if anyone ever wants to know where these titles are coming from, i can put them in the notes. maybe i should've always been doing that...oops...

chapter title: 'spinning' - no rome feat. charli xcx & the 1975

Chapter 15: it's like the sun came out

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Winry and Paninya walked back to her house on Friday, Winry wondered whether she actually wanted to go to this party anymore. Her day had been back-to-back tests, she was tired, she was starving, and suddenly the last place she wanted to be was a packed house with kids from her school she didn't even like, all of which she said to Paninya.

"I know," Paninya agreed. "I'm mostly going for the free beer but I won't get the free beer unless you go."

"I doubt that Russell will be patrolling who takes his beer," Winry pointed out.

"You're probably right, but still," Paninya said. "I'd rather go with you than stand awkwardly in the corner waiting for the Amestris gang."

Winry sighed. "Fine. But only for you."

"Thank you," Paninya said. "I doubt we'll be there long anyway. Lan Fan said she's heard a bunch of kids from Amestris are planning on crashing so I'd rather not be there if the cops come. Plus, I bet Ed will be pushing us out the door as soon as he gets there."

Winry was suddenly wide awake. "What?"

Paninya stared at her. "What what?"

"Ed's going?"

"That's what Lan Fan said," Paninya answered. "I thought you knew."

Winry shook her head, her heart suddenly beating in her throat. "No. He said yesterday he'd think about it, but then didn't say anything about it after that."

"All those text messages and he never said?" Paninya teased.

"No, he did not," Winry answered, pulling her phone out, "and I will be yelling at him about it now."

Paninya laughed. "Why are you so freaked?"

"I'm not freaked. He just didn't tell me that he was going."

"Does it matter?"

"No, it just-"

"Going to destroy your room again trying to find something to wear?"

Winry rolled her eyes but knew that her cheeks were pink. "No, although I will be changing out of this."

"For Ed?" Paninya said with a grin.

"Stop."

Paninya laughed again. "I'm just kidding. Seriously, though, lately you guys have been so weird."

"Meaning what?" Winry asked.

"All of these text messages, playing this mobile game, sharing food the other night, you getting all dressed up suddenly..."

"Meaning what?" Winry repeated, making sure her annoyance came through in her voice.

"Meaning," Paninya said, "if I didn't know better, I'd say you were in love."

Winry laughed as she watched Paninya skip ahead of her. 

Right, she thought. In love with Edward Elric? There was no possible way. She started to think of all the times they had screamed at each other, him calling her gearhead, his habit of breaking his prosthetic doing stupid stuff, his foul mouth, his ratty red sweatshirt, his terrible text messaging, the sudden influx of messages over the past few weeks, him sitting on her floor over break playing cards, her in the hospital braiding his hair after the fire, him never leaving her side when her parents died, his sputtering terrible alcohol outside the dance and him taking her hand as he twirled her inside, him staring at her in amazement over her old sketches of his could've-been arm, his constant belief in her and what she could do, his shoulders, his sharp jawline, his golden-brown eyes, his smile...

Winry's feet slowed until she came to a stop. She stared down at the ground as her mind continued to go over memories of Ed. Her Ed. 

She looked up just as Paninya noticed she wasn't behind her.

"What's wrong?" Paninya asked.

Winry just stared, unable to say anything, until she saw the realization cross over Paninya's face.

"No," Paninya said as she started to grin.

Winry could only nod. She suddenly felt like she was floating and nothing was real anymore. It felt like her head was no longer attached to her body.

"Since when?!" Paninya laughed.

"I think," Winry said with some difficulty as her mouth had suddenly gotten very dry, "for a really long time."

Paninya laughed again, harder this time, and practically skipped back to where Winry was standing rooted to the ground. "Well, I can't say I never saw this coming. It was only a matter of time."

"Really?" Winry said, still in shock.

"Absolutely. I think we've all just been waiting for one of you to realize it."

"We?!" Winry exclaimed.

"There's no way Al has never noticed it," Paninya said. "He's known you for like a decade longer than I have."

Winry shook her head. "Why didn't I notice then? How did this happen?"

"Can't fight attraction," Paninya said with a shrug. "You've seen my exes right?"

Winry could do nothing but shake her head as they continued walking to her house. "This is so inconvenient. How could I have fallen for someone who's such an idiot?"

Paninya put a consoling arm around Winry's shoulder. "But he's your idiot."

Winry groaned. "What do I do now?"

Paninya thought for a moment. "Jump him when he gets to the party?" 

Winry turned quickly to smack her, but Paninya had already run up ahead cackling. 

Notes:

the alternate title to this chapter is "my take on the italicized 'oh' moment".

also i went back and edited all the chapters to include the songs where the chapter titles for the songs except for one which i cannot for the life of me remember where i got it from. clearly i was incredibly bored one day this week.

chapter title: 'start of time' - gabrielle aplin

Chapter 16: nobody sees what we see

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

P: ok so i should NOT be telling you this

A: Okay then don't

P: like i'm risking my life telling you this

A: But you're not telling me

P: well i'm ABOUT to

P: i just want you to know what i'm risking in sharing this

P: but from our conversation earlier in the week this might not come as a surprise

A: I am curious but also afraid

P: okay

P: winry is in love with ed

A: And?

P: WHAT DO YOU MEAN AND???

P: HOW IS THIS NOT BIG INFORMATION

A: Because Ed and Winry have been in love with each other for years, they just don't know it

P: OKAY BUT WINRY KNOWS IT NOW

A: She what?!

P: SHE REALIZED TODAY SHE'S IN LOVE WITH ED

A: Okay THIS is big information!

P: EXACTLY

A: How did this happen?!

P: she found out ed was going to the party and got all weird so i started making jokes about how she was in love and she laughed but then she STOPPED laughing and now she's in love

P: or i guess always has been but just figured it out

A: Are you still with her? What's she doing now?

P: yeh still here. i'm assuming she's replaying every moment in her life wondering how this happened

P: she also keeps asking wtf she should do now and getting embarrassed every time she texts him

P: which still is still doing constantly

A: Do you think she'll do anything tonight?

P: lol no. definitely not.

A: Why do you say that?

P: well first if she's getting all weird texting him, i'm sure in person will be a whole something else

P: second, she hasn't quite hit the "acceptance" phase of the acceptance

A: Why are you comparing this to the stages of grief?

P: because that's what it is, she's grieving the fact that she's in love with an ass

***

A: Where are you?

M: in my room, why?

A: Can you meet me outside in 10? Pan just texted me and you need to see it

***

Al watched as May laughed herself silly and read over Paninya's text messages for the fifth time on the grass outside of the dorms.

"I knew this would happen," May practically sang, "but I didn't realize how fun it would be to watch!"

"It is entertaining," Al agreed.

"I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the look on her face when she realized," May sighed. 

"I can only imagine," Al laughed.

"You seem oddly upbeat for someone who's about to lose their money."

"Again, the bet is if they end up together, not if they realize it."

May shrugged. "Only a matter of time. I am still surprised it's happening so fast."

"They could only fight it for so long I guess."

May laughed. "I suppose that's true. Like I said, only a matter of time."

"Another night we have to look forward to in terms of developments," Al said.

"I still can't believe Ed is going."

"To tell you the truth, I'm starting to think he might be going to the party just because Winry is."

May giggled. "Oooh he is so whipped, he just doesn't know it. Didn't the exact same thing happen with the dance?"

"Basically."

May clapped her hands together. "This is going to be fun. So what's our plan for tonight? Are you really sure you don't mind driving?"

Al nodded. "It's fine. I'd rather drive."

"Thank you," May said, "and Ed is sure we're not all going to get busted for not signing out?"

"Well..." Al trailed off. He wasn't too thrilled about their sneaking off campus plan; all in all it seemed kind of sketchy. He knew they couldn't just sign out because then they'd have to be back by 10, but the route Ed was proposing seemed...odd.

"As long as we stick with Lan Fan, we should be good," Al offered.

"You've got a good point," May said. "If no one gets expelled or suspended, we can call it a good night, and she is the most likely person to keep that from happening."

"It's no wonder Ling and brother always got caught and she's stayed out of trouble."

May groaned. "I know. How could the universe allow two of the most obnoxious people on the planet to be friends?"

"Beats me."

May stood. "Okay, I'm going to go do my hair and then meet you for dinner in an hour?"

"Why do you need to do your hair? It looks beautiful already." The words had left Al's mouth before he had a chance to really think about it, but he tried not to let the panic show on his face. Luckily, he noticed that May's cheeks had gotten a faint pink tint before she smiled.

"Thank you," May giggled. "But, you know, always nice to freshen things up. I'll see you later."

She walked away, still smiling, and Al couldn't help but smile too. 

***

"There you are, why did you just take off?"

Al got back to his room and found Ed exactly where he was before: sitting in bed and texting, most likely with Winry. Al mentally smirked at the thought of Winry panicking every time she sent a message now. May was right; this was more fun to watch than he had originally thought.

"Just went to meet May," Al said with a shrug.

"What, did she tell you she was considering mooning over someone else?" Ed asked, still not looking up. "You bolted out of here like the fucking room was on fire."

"Had something to show her."

"Was it-"

"NO IT WAS NOT. Can you keep your mind out of the gutter for ten seconds?!"

Ed snickered in response while Al glared at him. It was in the process of glaring that Al realized Ed had changed out of his uniform. Al had to blink twice to process what he was seeing.

Ed was in black jeans but also a shirt. A nice shirt. A button-down navy blue shirt. And no red sweatshirt.

"You look nice," Al said, still slightly stunned.

"Thanks," Ed grunted.

"What do you look nice for?"

Ed finally looked up from his phone to look at Al with a raised eyebrow. "What do you mean? We're going out aren't we?"

"Yeah, but you don't normally look nice."

"Dick."

Al rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean."

Ed just shrugged. "All I did was pull something out of my closet."

"Where's your sweatshirt?" Al asked looking around for the bright red.

"Dirty."

"That's never stopped you from wearing it before."

"What is this?" Ed snapped suddenly. "Why am I being interrogated about my clothes all of a sudden?" 

"Sorry," Al said. Ed blew his bangs out of his face and went back to texting.

Al knew he shouldn't prod it, but decided to anyway. "What's Winry saying?"

"Nothing," he said with a  shrug. "Her and Paninya are going to try and get there at like 10 or something. We should try and get there around the same time, some douchebag keeps harassing her."

Al smiled slyly and prepared for something to be thrown. "Jealous?"

"I'll fucking kill you," Ed grunted, but Al was surprised that that was all of the famous Edward Elric fire he received for the comment. He decided to press his luck.

"You guys have been texting a lot," Al said.

Ed rolled his eyes as he looked up. "Why is everyone so fucking interested in my texting habits all of a sudden?"

"You're usually not very fond of it," Al pointed out.

"Well, you usually don't blush when a girl says more than 10 words to you but look where you are."

Al crossed his arms over his chest but sighed and relented. "Fine. I'll give you that one. But that's hardly fair."

Ed narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you already know I like May."

"What's your point?"

Al rubbed a hand over his face. He wasn't going to get anything out of his brother unless he spelled it out, and he was not ready to deal with that kind of backlash today. 

"Nevermind," Al said, pulling his phone out.

"Wait, no, what's your point?"

Al just shook his head. Luckily, this would drive his brother crazier than if he actually did spell it out. "Nothing! Forget I said anything!" 

He was quick to put an arm up to defend himself when Ed finally threw a shoe.

Notes:

this chapter might be a bit of a mess but that is just who i am as a person so i accept it and move on.

chapter title: 'xo' - beyoncé

Chapter 17: we both found each other tonight

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Winry and Paninya walked to Russell's house around 10, Winry noted the state of calm she had reached since her revelation that afternoon. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense, and the more she was mostly just mad that it took her this long to realize. 

She was still left wondering what she was supposed to do now. Was she supposed to tell him? Keep it to herself? See what happens?

"Ugh, Paninyaaaa," Winry groaned suddenly.

"I know, it's fucking cold," Paninya said.

"Not that."

"Oh, the Ed thing," Paninya laughed. "I thought you were okay now."

"I am, I still just don't know what to do," Winry said. 

"To tell him or not to tell him," Paninya whistled. "That is quite the conundrum."

"And?"

"I have no answers for you, my friend."

Winry laughed. "Thanks. That's very helpful."

"Hey, I already told you what you should do and you tried to hit me!" Paninya pointed out. "My vote really is to just jump him and see what happens."

"You do understand how badly that could end right?"

"Such is love."

They turned the corner onto Russell's street after passing a line of cars. High school kids were smart to park away from the house the party was at but apparently not smart enough to park farther away. Winry couldn't help but scan the lineup and look for the Elric car, but she didn't see it. 

"Anything from the Amestrians?" Paninya asked.

"No," Winry said, looking at her phone. "Last communication was Ed saying they were trying to sneak out a window in an abandoned bathroom in the dorms."

"He is absolutely shitting you."

Winry shrugged, shoving her phone in her purse. "I guess we'll find out."

They caught up with a group from Central and followed them to Russell's. Winry could hear the music before they even got to the house, which was already packed with people inside and out. 

"How have the cops not already been called?" Winry said as they were pushing their way inside.

"Some kid's dad is the chief and got a heads up," a voice said behind them.

"Geez!" Paninya jumped and whipped around to see Lan Fan laughing. "You really are a ninja!"

"How'd you find us so fast?" Winry said. 

"Ling and I were standing outside," Lan Fan said. "We saw you walk in."

"Where are the others?" Winry asked, trying to act casual. Paninya just smiled at her.

Lan Fan shrugged. "Around here somewhere."

"We can text them," Paninya said, grabbing Winry by the shoulders. "I want a beer."

"We also have whiskey," Lan Fan said, "if you get tired of the beer. It is really, really bad."

"Thanks for the heads up!" Winry said as Paninya steered her through the basement. She pulled out her phone and texted Ed a quick "we're here", scanning the crowd for the familiar blonde ponytail.

"Why do you need me to help you get beer again?" Winry asked as they finally found where the drinks were.

"Hey Win!" On cue, Russell appeared next to them and Paninya burst out laughing.

"Hi Russell," Winry said as nicely as was possible for her without emphasizing the "ry" that was supposed to end her name. "Nice party."

"Yeah, it's gotten a little nuts," Russell said. "Beer?"

"Yes please!" Paninya said, taking one from Russell's hand. Winry laughed at the shamelessness. 

"Thanks," Winry said taking the other Russell had. 

"No problem. I've got more upstairs if you want to see a selection," Russell said. 

"No thanks," Paninya said. "Sorry, can't let her leave me."

"Not even for a minute?" Russell asked. It took all of Winry's strength to suppress an eye roll.

"Unfortunately, no," Paninya said. "We're looking for our other friends."

"Oh c'mon," Russell said. "You're a big girl, you can find them without Winry, right?"

Winry was about to respond in a not so friendly way when she suddenly felt an arm around her shoulder and looked up. Her stomach did a flip.

"Evening, ladies," Ed said, his arm around Paninya as well. "This guy bothering you?"

Winry couldn't help but relish the annoyed look on Russell's face. "This is my house," Russell said. "Who are you?"

"I'm Ed," Ed answered as Paninya ducked out from under Ed's arm, laughing as she did.  "Russell, right?"

"Sorry, I don't remember inviting an Ed," Russel sneered.

"He's with me," Winry said. "C'mon, Ed, let's go find Al and May."

She grabbed Ed's hand and wheeled him around, not giving Russell a chance to respond or even understand what had happened. 

"That guy looks like a douche," Ed said.

"He is a douche," Winry answered, "and you saved me so thank you."

"I think I saved him from getting punched," Ed said. "I could tell you were about to hit him from across the room."

"Like you wouldn't have done the same."

"I know better than that."

"No, you don't!"

It wasn't until they reached Paninya, May, and Al on the other side of the room that Winry noticed she was still holding Ed's hand. She hoped the blush creeping across her face wouldn't be noticed as she finally dropped it.

"Winry, they actually did climb out of a window," Paninya said.

"I'd like to point out again," May said, emphasizing the last word with a sharp look at Ed, "that we didn't realize we would be climbing in and out of anything."

"We told you we knew a way out!" Ed snapped as Al handed him his drink back. "Just because you didn't ask-"

"Why is there an abandoned bathroom in the dorms?" Winry asked.

"It's a bathroom in one of the suite rooms," Ed said. "The suites never fill up so there's always a room empty. Me, Ling, and Lan Fan have snuck out of that side of the dorms so many times."

"That's why we were here before you," Al said. "We had to go during a blip in the guard rounds."

"And we have to go back in a blip too," Ed said. 

"What time is that?" Winry asked.

"They rotate at 12:30."

"You've memorized the rotation schedule?" Paninya said.

"No, Lan Fan got it from the office."

"How?"

"You'll have to ask her."

As they stood and talked and drank, Winry kept glancing at Ed. It was strange how such a small shift could be so monumental. Because that's really all it was: a shift between loving someone and being in love with someone. She had always loved both Elrics, but it was different now.

And she knew it was strange to be in love with someone you weren't technically with, but there couldn't be a "crush" stage with Ed. Winry had known him for too long and too well. She had crash-landed right at love and was scared at how comfortable it felt.

She suddenly felt dizzy and far too hot. "I'm going to get some air," she announced suddenly, turning on her heel and heading for the door. 

When Winry was finally able to weave through the people and get to the back door, the cold air hit her like a slap in the face. Good. That's what she needed.

Winry took a deep breath and leaned against the wall of the house. Even though she had accepted it, it didn't make the fact that she loved Ed any less nerve-wracking. The question of what to do next only increased the nerves and it didn't help to be around him while she was still trying to figure it out. She took a long drink for her beer.

"Hey." Winry jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder, turned, and immediately felt warm again.

"Fuck, you're jumpy," Ed said with a laugh. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," Winry said a little too quickly. She cleared her throat. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just got too warm."

"I know, it's hot as hell in there," Ed said leaning next to her. "Why do you keep dragging us to these school functions that are fucking saunas?"

"Okay, number one: this is not a school function. I think they probably wouldn't approve of this. And number two: I did not drag you to this. You chose to come."

"Yeah, after you practically begged me."

Winry pushed off the wall and put her hands on her hips. "There was no begging! I just asked if you were going! And then you didn't tell me when you decided you were!"

Ed waved a hand. "Details, details."

"You're so annoying."

Ed snickered and Winry couldn't help but smile as she leaned back against the wall. They stood next to each other in silence for a minute, and Winry couldn't figure out if it was the bass of the music or her heart rapidly beating against her chest that she was feeling. She turned and look at Ed, suddenly wondering if Paninya's advice was spot on. She felt her cheeks turn pink at the thought.

"What's in this?" Winry asked, pointing at Ed's cup.

"Couldn't tell you," Ed said with a shrug. 

"Well, that's smart." Winry took the cup and took a long drink.

"Slow down, tiger," Ed chuckled.

Winry coughed as she gave Ed his drink back. "That's disgusting."

"Consider it pay back for the watermelon vodka," Ed said.

"Unlike you, though, I handled it like a champ."

"It took me by surprise and it was about ten times more disgusting than this is."

"Excuses, excuses," she said slyly. "By the way, no sweatshirt tonight?"

"It was dirty," Ed said with another eye roll.

"It's always dirty," Winry answered.

"It is not."

"Edward, that thing has so many holes in it and so much crap on it-"

"Well, buy me a new one then."

"Can it be a different color?"

"Fuck no."

Winry groaned and Ed laughed in response. "Got ya," he said.

"Do you try to be annoying? Like do you put effort into this?"

Ed grinned his annoying, shit-eating grin that Winry suddenly found adorable. "Nope. That's just natural charm, baby."

"You have no charm." Ling sauntered over with a handle in one hand, a grin on his face, and his arm around Lan Fan.

"Fuck!" Ed exclaimed. "How the fuck do you do that?!"

"Where have you two been?" Winry asked.

"Getting acquainted with your peers," Ling said, "as our Paninya has been getting acquainted with ours."

Winry raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

"She's looking very chummy with Rose right now," Ling said as he took a drink.

"What?!" Winry said ducking around people to look through the door. Sure enough, Paninya was on the other side of the room, talking very closely with a girl with pink bangs who was laughing loudly with her hand on Paninya's shoulder.

"I feel really weird about this," Ed said, taking the bottle from Ling and taking a drink.

"Why?" Winry asked, suddenly feeling light-headed. "Afraid you won't be able to compete?"

"Fuck you!" Ed exclaimed, his face turning red as Ling and Lan Fan cackled.

Notes:

wow it's been a minute, sorry about that. i have no excuse other than time isn't real but i've said that a lot so...sorry.

thank you for all the lovely comments and kudos <3

chapter title: 'waste it on me' - steve aoki feat. bts

Chapter 18: from the perfect start to the finish line

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Where did my brother go with the booze?" May asked a half-hour after they found themselves alone at their wall. "I don't even want to touch the beer."

"I think they're outside," Al answered.

"C'mon then," May said, quickly grabbing Al's hand. The sudden touch made his face warm and the continued holding when they finally got outside kicked up the butterflies in his stomach.

They spotted Ling, Lan Fan, Winry, and Ed sitting in the grass over by Russell's back fence.

"Here you all are!" May said.

Ling spread his arms wide. "Welcome to our patch of grass."

"It's fucking cold," Ed grumbled.

"You were just complaining about how hot it was in there," Winry said.

"Well, now I'm cold," Ed said.

Al did not miss the quick touch Winry gave Ed's arm. "Such a baby."

May held out her cup to Ling as she sat down, pulling Al down with her. 

"Drink please," she said.

"Say the magic words," Ling sang.

"I said please, didn't I?"

"Good guess, but no. Today's magic words are 'your Excellence'."

May snatched the bottle from Ling's hands before he had a chance to blink. "Give me a break."

"Where's Paninya?" Winry asked. The smile on her face told Al she had a feeling already where Paninya was.

"Making out with Rose," Al said with a pointed look at Ed who groaned in response.

Winry cackled, falling into Ed's shoulder as she did. Ed rolled his eyes. May winked at Al over the brim of her cup.

"You know this means you guys have basically made out, right?" Winry said. "You and Paninya have hooked up."

"How does that make any sense at all?" Ed asked.

"You've both kissed the same girl which means you've kissed each other."

"How is that sound logic?"

Winry stood. "It makes sense if you think about it. I'm getting another beer." She was only halfway across the lawn before Ed stood up.

"Where are you going?" Al asked as he tried his best to suppress a smirk.

"I want a beer too," Ed said with a shrug.

"You said yesterday you didn't want to drink the crap here," Lan Fan said.

Ed shoved his hands in his pockets as he walked away. "Whatever, I changed my mind."

"Hmm, of course," Lan Fan said, the corners of her mouth tilting, "he 'changed his mind'."

"I don't think he could be any more obvious if he tried," Ling said. "Can you imagine if he actually realized he liked her?"

"Let's hope that doesn't happen," Lan Fan answered. "I feel like he'd be even more irritating if he did."

"Why do you say that?" AL asked.

"Because Ed definitely thinks he's some debonair, suave man when a girl is involved," Lan Fan said with an eye-roll. "It just comes off as nerdy which for some reason people find endearing."

"Noah and Rose were different though," Ling said with a raised eyebrow. "That was all physical attraction."

"Barf," May said.

"I second that," Al agreed.

"Ed actually likes Winry, even if he doesn't realize it," Ling said. "I'd like to see what happens then."

Lan Fan fiddled with her cup in thought. "You have a point, I guess. Maybe he'd chill a bit too." 

Al and May exchanged a look before Al stood. "I'm getting cold," he said. He extended a hand to May in a bold move that almost surprised him. May smiled and let him help her to her feet. 

"Why is everyone ditching us?" Lan Fan asked. "Are we unlikeable?"

"Come back in with us then," May answered.

Ling stood and, in a dramatic gesture, bowed to Lan Fan with his hand extended. "My lady."

"Why, thank you," Lan Fan said, matching his drama as he pulled her up. 

"Can you imagine how they would be if they realized they liked each other?" May said to Al gesturing to Ling and Lan Fan.

"What was that, dear sister?" Ling asked.

"Nothing!" May took a drink from her cup. Al laughed and took May's hand as they all went to push their way back inside. He didn't let go when they finally did, though, and neither did she.

***

"Are you sure we won't get caught?"

"Probably not."

"Probably?!"

"Well, if you keep fucking talking!"

"You guys are so slow. You'd be terrible ninjas."

"We can't all be like you, Lan Fan."

No one had realized it was past their 12:30 deadline until it was already 1 and, by the time they got back to campus, it was past 1:30. Typically, Ed would've been the one who was trying to push them out the door as quickly as possible from boredom, but this time he had actually had fun. 

He had spent most of the night with Winry either bouncing around their constantly scattering friends or hanging out just the two of them. Ed preferred the party when it was just him and Winry, though. Now that they were talking more often, there was a different kind of vibe between them, but he didn't mind it. He might even go as far as to say he liked it.

Now, though, they were sneaking across campus to get back to the window that would put them in their dorm. Sneaking was probably giving them more credit than what was deserved. None of them were exactly doing their best at being quiet or quick.

The only one laser-focused was Lan Fan. Ed couldn't tell if it was the drinks or the darkness, but Lan Fan really was almost unseeable as they made their way to the window.

"Ladies first, as always," Ling said. He stood underneath the window as he and Al helped May up onto his shoulders.

She grabbed the ledge of the window and pulled herself up, gracefully pulling herself through. Ed couldn't help thinking that, for someone small, she was pretty strong.

Lan Fan was next and almost a blur as she jumped on Ling's shoulders and went through the window. 

"Should we rock, paper, scissors it?" Ling asked.

Ed punched him in the shoulder. "Just go already." 

Ling saluted before using Ed's better shoulder to prop himself up to the window.

Al looked at him. "What now?"

"Get up in the window then help me up," Ed said.

Al nodded and Ed helped him up. Al ducked and was about to reach down to help him grab onto the window ledge when Ed heard a noise. He turned his head just in time for a flashlight beam to hit his face.

Notes:

*comes out from the hole i've been in* oh hey. did not mean to ghost everyone like that but tbh the universe has been testing me lately and i DEFINITELY didn't study. i guess that's just the 2020/2021 vibe though

ANYWAY i promise not to do that again, especially since this ends with a little ~*cliffhanger*~ thank you again to everyone who's been reading, commenting, kudos-ing, etc. it means a lot!

chapter title: 'youth' by daughter

Chapter 19: you know i didn't mean it

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A: Sorry I didn't answer before, it's been a little nuts. I just fell asleep for twenty minutes.

W: Yeah, geez. Are you guys okay?

A: We're fine. Ed's not.

W: I figured. I texted him but he hasn't responded...

A: He's with Bradley now, our principal, with everyone else who got caught

W: How did this happen?!

A: Apparently a couple kids were stupid enough to go through the front door a half hour before we got back. The security guard started doing extra rounds and Ed was the only one still outside.

W: How bad will it be?

A: Since so many kids go busted, Ling thinks it won't be too bad. Plus, Ed was apparently the soberest to get caught

W: According to who?

A: The librarian told May

W: The...librarian?

A: She has a soft spot for us

W: Seems like a lot of people do

W: How's Ed?

A: I don't know. They basically kept him in the office all night. He came back long enough to get changed and then go to this meeting.

W: Not good then?

A: Probably not.

***

In all, about fifteen kids were busted, but that fact didn't keep Ed from pissed about it. He was mostly pissed at the fact that, out of all the people busted, he was one of only three upper classman and by far the most experienced when it came to sneaking on and off campus. He spent the 20 minute lecture they all got together kicking himself for being part of the group that got caught.  

He got the lightest sentence, though. 10 days of detention with off campus hours limited to visits signed off on by a parent or guardian for a month. It could've been worse; they were talking suspension for some of the younger kids, who had apparently been a bit too obviously intoxicated. The blow to Ed's pride, though, probably made them all even.

Ed also had a feeling his lighter sentence had something to do with Mustang, who stared at him sternly as he walked out of Bradley's office when they all got their individual sentences. Ed could've sworn he saw a bit of a smile on Mustang's face before he looked away.

As Ed walked back to his and Al's room, he shoved his hand in his pocket to dig out his phone. He kept feeling his phone vibrate and assumed news of what happened had reached Winry.

When his phone started to ring, Ed didn't think twice about picking it up.

"Hello?"

"Edward."

He froze. He should've checked the caller ID before picking up. Should've blocked this number a long, long time ago. Should've turned off his stupid fucking phone and turned it back on when he was finally back in his room so he would've missed this call.

Ed wanted to hang up. He wanted to hang up, block the number, and keep walking. 

"Edward, are you there?" Hohenheim said.

"What do you want?" Ed practically growled.

"The school called."

"And?"

"I thought you were done acting like a child."

"You know, they say kids with absent parents have a tendency to lash out."

His father sighed. "Edward, are we really going to do this every time we talk?"

Ed almost laughed. "Uh, yeah, I think we are."

"Can we not just talk like people?" Hohenheim said.

"No, we can't," Ed hissed, "because I think it's bullshit that the only time you ever bother to do anything is when the fucking school calls, and it's also bullshit-"

"Stop cursing."

"Fuck!" Ed yelled, scaring a few underclassmen who were, unfortunately, walking by. "Fuck, shit, bull fucking shit fuck."

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, I'm done." Ed hung up, immediately blocked the number, and stomped back to his room. 

How fucking dare he was the only thing repeating over and over in Ed's brain as he walked back. How fucking dare Hohenheim try to pretend to be a parent only when Ed did something wrong. He didn't get that right.

Ed got back to his room and slammed the door, throwing his bag into the closet as hard as he could. Al didn't look up from his phone, which only meant that Hohenheim had texted him after Ed had hung up. This only made Ed more pissed.

Ed turned and stomped back out the door, not sure where exactly he was going but knowing he didn't want anyone to be near to him or to speak to him or do anything.

He wanted to scream. He had already felt stupid for getting caught, but now he felt guilty and he hated that. No matter how much he hated him, Ed hated the fact that Hohenheim was still able to make him feel any kind of guilt more. 

Ed had gotten to the back lawn of the dorms when he finally got sick of his phone buzzing and snapped.

***

W: Hi

W: Don't know if you saw my messages earlier.

E: nope

W: Oh

W: Well, Al told me Hohenheim called...

E: and?

W: Are you okay?

E: yeah

W: Are you sure?

E: what do you want winry

W: Um to see if you're okay?

E: im fine

W: Okay, you don't seem fine though

E: well i am

W: Okay...I'm here if you want to talk though

E: i dont so maybe just leave me the fuck alone

W: That was unnecessary

E: w/e

W: You know I didn't do anything right?

W: You have absolutely no reason to be an ass to me right now

E: y did u make me go to that stupid fucking party

W: Like I said last night, I did not make you do anything

E: u wouldnt let it go

W: All I did was ask if you were going. That's it. I did not force you to do anything and it's not my fault that you got busted 

E: right its all my fault 

E: everythings my fault

E: guess im just an idiot

W: That is not what I said at all but yeah, right now you are

E: now i think u should really leave me the fuck alone

W: What is your problem?! All I was trying to do is see if you're okay and you throw it back in my face

E: fuck u really dont know when to shut up do you?

E: i didnt ask for u to see if im ok or be in my shit all the time so can u just fucking fuck off for once in your life? do you even know how to fucking do that?

W: Wow

W: Fuck you Ed 

***

Ed stared at his phone, not sure he was reading the message right. Winry hardly ever cursed in person, and she typed out curses even less often. He had heard her curse only a handful of times and, usually, the situation was very bad.

Whatever, he thought. She'd get over it. She always did. Her response did very little to quell his anger. 

He sat outside lying in the grass for almost an hour, staring up at the sky and occasionally glancing at Winry's last message. He closed his eyes. Breathed. Looked at the message again. He rubbed his eyes. Pushed his bangs out of his face. Looked at the message again.

'Fuck you Ed'

Something felt different. They had fought and fought often, but she had never cursed at him like this. With his uneasiness starting to replace his fury, Ed stood up and finally started back inside. He fiddled with his phone in his pocket the entire way back.

When he made it to his room, Al immediately looked up.

"Did something happen with Winry?" Al asked.

Ed blinked. "What do you mean?"

"I asked her if she got in touch with her and she answered that she'd prefer not to talk about you."

"What?"

Al handed Ed his phone which Ed quickly took and read Winry's message.

A: Are you talking to Ed right now? He left like two hours ago and hasn't come back.

W: I'd prefer not to talk about Ed if that's okay

A: Oh. Okay. Are you okay?

W: I'm fine, I'd just prefer if we didn't talk about it and if we just didn't go into it any more than that

Ed handed Al his phone back. He had no thoughts going through his head except that this was not good. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and texted a quick "hi" to Winry, waiting for the notification that the message was delivered. He drummed his fingers on the side as he stared and hoped, but the notification never came. Her phone was clearly on if she had just been texting Al.

"I think she blocked me," Ed said.

"What?"

Ed hit the button to call her then put the phone to his ear. It rang once then went to voicemail. Ed pulled his phone away from his face.

"Shit," Ed said. "I fucked up."

Notes:

SORRY NOT SORRY I LIVE FOR THE DRAMA *cackles maniacally*

chapter title: 'without you' by the kid laroi

Chapter 20: and then you pulled the rug

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

She's ten. She's running around the living room, chasing Ed as he plays keep away with her wrench. It feels too big in her hands, but it's still hers and she wants it back. Den is chasing her, happily yapping at her feet while Al sits on the couch and watches them go round and round. 

There's a knock on the door. Granny tells them they're being too loud as comes out of the kitchen and opens the front door.

Winry looks, sees two soldiers standing in the doorway, and slows down. No one has to tell her it's about her parents. They're army doctors. Soldiers at the door has to be bad.

Her ears start to ring as the soldiers talk to Granny. She feels a hand in hers. She doesn't have to turn her head to know it's Ed. Her eyes start to go blurry as Granny's voice starts to break while talking to the soldiers. Ed pulls her out of the room, Al following behind them. She can't stop looking at the soldiers, even as the kitchen door closes behind them. 

'Winry, look at me,' Ed says.

She turns, but Ed isn't there, his hand is no longer holding hers. She's eleven. She's in the hospital, watching as doctors try to calm Ed down. He's lying on a gurney and screaming for Al who had been taken over unresponsive in an earlier ambulance. The paramedics tried to treat the burns all down Ed's arm and his leg, but Winry can't stop looking at the blood until they're able to wheel him to the burn unit. Granny steers her to the chairs where she sits in a daze.

She can still hear Ed screaming as if he were sitting right next to her. She still sees the whites of his knuckles as his hand gripped hers in the ambulance. Winry flexes her hand; it doesn't even feel sore. She can hear Ed crying. 'It's my fault. He'll hate me for sure.'

Winry brings her knees up to her chest and covers her ears. She closes her eyes.

She opens them. She's 12 and helping Ed walk across the front lawn with his new leg. He tells her he doesn't need her help, but won't let go of her hands as she stands in front of him.

Winry looks down at the leg. Is it okay? Will it be okay? She's helped Granny with so many but this is the first one she's done (mostly) herself. She looks up at Granny who's sitting in a chair next to the front door. Al sits on the bottom step, cheering Ed on, his crutch next to him. Every time Al stops cheering to cough, Ed panics, turns around, and loses his balance. 

'It's okay' Winry says. 'He's okay. Just keep walking.'

Ed grips her hands tighter. She feels a sudden fear at the thought of when he lets go.

***

Winry slowly opened her eyes as her alarm blared in her ear. She turned it off but stayed staring at the ceiling with a heavy, hollow feeling in her limbs. She couldn't tell if that was because of the 12 hours she had worked the day before or the dreams.

It didn't feel fair to have dreams of Ed, especially those dreams of Ed; it was like pouring salt in an open wound. 

They had fought before, so so many times, but this was different. He had teased and prodded and been annoying, but this time he was mean. Intentionally mean. Like he actually wanted to hurt her. The fact that Winry had only just realized she was in love with him only added force to the blow.

After 20 minutes of lying in bed and Granny coming to make sure she was awake, Winry finally managed to pull herself out of bed. She quickly sent a text to Paninya to let her know she was running late and to walk to school without her, before shoving her phone to the bottom of her backpack.

Winry had quickly realized on Saturday that the more time her phone was in her sight, the more time she had to read and re read her conversation with Ed. Then she'd cycle through feeling angry, embarrassed, upset, before finally settling on thoroughly heartbroken. A couple of times she had caught herself thinking about unblocking him, even if it was just to yell and get everything out, but she refused. She didn't want to hear what he had to say this time.

So, Winry had spent most of Saturday and all of Sunday avoiding her phone, only sending a few messages to Paninya to let her know she was alive. She had spent both days working and make herself as tired as possible so she wouldn't have time to think of anything. 

She quickly threw her hair up and pulled on a pair of sweatpants before grabbing her backpack and walking out the door, doing her best not to think about her dreams.

Winry immediately regretted walking so fast to school when she approached her locker and Paninya was waiting for her.

"My god, you've been hard to reach lately," Paninya said. Winry just shrugged and pulled her locker open, fully aware that Paninya was staring at her the entire time.

"You okay?" Paninya asked.

"Fine," Winry said. She did her best to sound normal but she could hear how clipped and tight her voice was.

"Okay," Paninya said, sounding unconvinced. "Well, I need your help. Rose gave me her number after the party right-"

Winry slammed her locker door at the mention of the party, which caused Paninya to jump. She raised an eyebrow but didn't press it. "I'm not totally sure how into me she actually is, if she is at all, so I'm trying to gauge it without sounding obvious or desperate."

"I don't know if I'm the right person to ask for love advice right now," Winry said, turning on her heel and heading down the hallway.

"Maybe I should ask Ed-"

"Can we not talk about this right now?" Winry said, a little too loudly and a little too sharply. "Sorry, I'm just...tired. I didn't sleep well last night."

Paninya just stared. Winry could see the questions and concern but there was no way Winry was going to explain. "Yeah," Paninya said. "Sure. Let me know if I can do anything."

Winry just nodded and headed down the hallway before she did something stupid like cry.

***

P: any idea wtf is going on with ed and winry??

A: Not really, only that it was Ed's fault.

P: what'd he do?? they seemed pretty happy hanging out at the party

A: All I know is it has something to do with Ed getting caught and our dad calling him. Ed said she blocked him and that he fucked up but I couldn't get anything else out of him. 

P: okay well she is definitely upset

P: like really really upset

A: Really?

P: yeah. this weekend, she was super hard to get in touch with. she was just not answering her phone at all

A: Yeah, Ed basically spent all of yesterday sleeping and when he wasn't sleeping he was just pouting and pissed. He didn't say anything this morning.

P: winry was weird this morning too! 

P: she was late and couldn't walk to school with me and then she got here and she looks exhausted and when i mentioned the party and BRIEFLY mentioned ed, she totally went on the attack

A: But she didn't say what happened?

P: nope, just said she was tired.

A: Wait, I just got added to a group chat with Ling and Lan Fan. I think they might be asking the same question.

***

L: Your brother almost ripped my head off this morning

A: Is that different from usual?

L: Yes. This time I actually believed he would do it.

LF: He was pretty short with us

LF: Not a height joke

A: Something happened with Winry so now he's pissed

LF: Uh oh

L: This is why Ed shouldn't date girls he actually likes

LF: What happened?

A: No idea

A: Wait hold on

***

A: I'm putting us all together so I'm not just getting different messages about the same thing

M: what's going on?

L: Why is May in this if she doesn't even know?

LF: Why are you even asking that when it's obvious?

L: Point taken.

M: i hate you both. but i want to know what happened so i'm moving on

L: Ed and Winry had a lovers quarrel

M: i thought they always did that

P: it sounds like this was like an ACTUAL fight, not just one of their weird flirting rituals

P: like a FIGHT fight

M: yikes!

M: what happened?!

A: Still unknown. All we know is that they were fine Friday night and Saturday morning then Ed left the room, came back, and suddenly she had blocked him and he said he fucked up.

LF: Oh man

P: also winry was totally MIA this weekend, she responded like twice with just like yeahs and okays but that was it

P: and then this morning she came in late and was super snappy when i mentioned the party and ed and then said she was tired and walked away really fast

LF: That doesn't sound good

L: So who's going to solve this?

P: idk but i think it's going to have to come from ed right? since he was the one who fucked up?

LF: That's going to be a tough one

A: I can talk to him later

L: If it means I won't be assaulted every morning, I'll see if I can sneak into the library during his incarceration this afternoon and have a chat

P: i don't think a conjugal visit is going to help this situation

L: Who knows? Could loosen him up

M: I might throw up

LF: Same

***

M: is this okay?

A: What do you mean?

M: i mean, is it okay for us to get involved?

A: I don't really know how else this will resolve. Brother always needs a push when it comes to anything 'feelings' related

M: not surprising

M: will this just make him more angry?

A: I don't think he's actually angry, I think he's upset. He just usually defaults to anger. And judging by how pissed he was acting this weekend whenever he actually said something makes me think he is REALLY upset

M: wow. i know he's the one who messed up but...i feel kind of bad for him

M: i mean i feel worse for winry for whatever he did but...still

M: never tell him i said that

A: I won't, promise. To be honest, I think even if he was angry and this would make it worse, I would still need to do something. I don't like seeing him like this

M: it doesn't sound like anyone does, whether it's out of concern or because they don't want to be killed

A: Haha it could be both

M: good luck later i guess

A: Thanks

Notes:

angst angst angst

chapter title: "someone you loved" by lewis capaldi

Chapter 21: thinking about her, me, us

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed sat in the library, his head down on the table as he tried desperately to ignore the headache that had been torturing him all day. He just wanted to go back to his room and sleep; instead, he was sitting with 15 other kids scattered across tables in detention where they'd all be until dinner.

He had chosen a seat next to Hawkeye in the hopes that no one else would sit there and he could have peace from the younger kids who seemed to have a habit of staring at him. There were many reasons for why this could be; his and Ling's behavior, the fact that some of them were technically his students, and/or his missing leg. It was usually the leg. People were fascinated by it.

Luckily, most students were scared of Hawkeye, who was nice but (even Ed had to admit) pretty intimidating, so Ed had gotten his wish of being at a table by himself.

Ed had just closed his eyes when he felt someone tug on his ponytail. He lifted his head slowly, not wanting to turn around. He had a feeling who it might and he didn't want to talk to him or anyone for that matter.

Something hit the back of his neck, and Ed clenched his fists.

"I think Mr. Yao is trying to get your attention," Hawkeye said casually as she flicked through her papers.

"I didn't ask him to come here," Ed said in defense.

Hawkeye didn't say anything but looked up a bit from her work to the bookshelf behind them.

"You can have five minutes, Ling," Hawkeye said. "Then you have to leave."

Ed gaped as he felt Ling grab him by the shoulders.

"You are a lady and a scholar, Ms. Hawkeye," Ling said.

Hawkeye just 'hmm'd' in response as Ling steered Ed away from the table to the library stacks.

"What do you want, Yao?" Ed snarled.

"Brought you a present." Ling pulled an energy drink and a bag of chips out of his backpack and tossed them to Ed.

"I'm not allowed to have these here," Ed responded. 

"Like that's ever stopped you."

Ed raised an eyebrow as he glared. "Why?"

"Thought you might need it," Ling said casually. "You didn't look great this morning."

"Fuck you."

"Seriously." Ling opened his eyes a bit wider, a habit he had when he wanted to have a serious conversation. This always threw Ed for a loop, but this time he couldn't say it was unexpected. "Are you okay?"

Ed shoved the energy drink and the chips in his sweatshirt pocket. "I'm fine."

"I noticed you haven't picked up your phone all day."

"So what?" Ed said, looking down at the floor and leaning against the bookshelf.

"Something happen with Winry?" 

Ed didn't answer which he knew was answer enough. Still, he didn't feel like explaining so he let the silence talk for him.

"Is it fixable?" Ling asked.

Ed shrugged, which was a truthful non-answer in a way. He had read and re-read their last conversation, and he had been mean. They fought all the time, but neither of them were ever actually mean; there was always that line neither of them crossed. They knew each other so well that they knew where the line was. Ed had crossed the line this time. He had tried to hurt her and he had succeeded. It made him feel like shit.

He also felt sad in a way he couldn't really explain. It had only been one, almost two, full days of not talking to Winry, and he missed it in a way that almost hurt. Ed used to be able to go months before talking to Winry; now he couldn't go even two days.

He wanted to fix it. He desperately wanted to fix it.

"You'll fix it," Ling said as if he had read Ed's mind.

"Don't know how," Ed mumbled.

"You're smart, you'll figure it out."

"Why are you so invested all of a sudden?" Ed snapped.

Ling put a hand on his shoulder, and Ed could see on his face that the serious moment was over. "Your happiness is my happiness, Edward."

Ed almost laughed as he pushed Ling's hand away. "Think your time is up."

"I'll leave you with the beautiful Riza then," Ling said.

"That's 'Ms. Hawkeye', thank you." Both Ed and Ling turned at the sound of Hawkeye's voice. She hadn't even looked up from her work.

"She's better than I am," Ling whispered to Ed.

"You should take notes," Ed answered.

With that, Ling turned and disappeared into the shelves as Ed walked back to his seat. He slumped down, wincing as the bag of chips crinkled in his pockets.

"No food," Hawkeye said looking up. "But you can have the drink."

Ed considered denying its existence, but he was curious so he asked, "Why?"

"You seem not yourself today. It might help."

Ed slipped the drink out of his pocket and opened the bottle. He stared down at the table as the cap slowly opened with a hiss. He didn't realize how long he had been spacing out until he looked up and saw Hawkeye looking at him.

"Everything okay?" Hawkeye asked.

"Yeah," Ed said, taking a drink. "Everything's grand."

Hawkeye raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything at first. She just let Ed drink for a minute. Ed looked down at the table, folded his hands over the bottle, and let his bangs fall into his face. 

"Who's Winry?"

The corners of Ed's mouth twitched into a smile. Of course, Hawkeye had heard every word; she was better than Ling. 

He could do what he usually did: say she was no one, shut his mouth, and end the conversation there. Maybe it was Ling's visit, or his headache, or the combination of the two, but for the first time in his life, Ed actually wanted to talk to an adult. Particularly an adult who had no connection with any of this.

"She's a childhood friend," Ed said. 

"Did something happen?"

"We got into a fight this weekend."

"Hmm," Hawkeye said. "What happened?"

"I was a dick," Ed answered.

"Edward."

"Sorry - I was a jerk."

"Thank you." Hawkeye folded her hands on the table and stared off ahead of her. "And you want to fix it?"

Ed nodded. "Yeah." He opened the bottle again and let the words tumble out before he took a drink to stop them. "I really, really want to fix it."

As he took his sip, he saw Hawkeye staring at him.

"Seems like you really love her."

Ed immediately choked on his drink, sputtering loudly to the point where, by the time he could finally breathe, every person in the library was staring at him. He felt his face burning red.

"I mean, yeah, I've known her a long time, she's like a sister almost, so you know of course I love her. Like a friend," he rambled. Ed couldn't stop talking. He kept throwing out different reasons why he loved her like a friend, all while his heart thudded against his chest and his face got hotter. 

Hawkeye stared at him, the corners of her mouth twitching as if she was about to smile until he finally wore himself out.

"Well," she said. "That's that then." Hawkeye gathered her papers together. "You'll fix it. You just have to be sincere about your apology. Don't make excuses and don't - " she pointed at him with her pen to emphasize the point "lose your temper. You have a tendency to do that when challenged."

Ed was reeling too much to protest. Hawkeye turned to the rest of the group. "Detention is over. I'll see you all here tomorrow."

Students started to gather their stuff and leave the room, but Ed stayed in his seat with his mouth slightly open. Hawkeye put a hand on his shoulder and finally smiled.

"You'll be fine," she said. Then she stood, picked up her stuff, and walked out, leaving Ed alone to sit and think.

You really love her

That couldn't be true. There was no way.

Right?

Notes:

you'd think i'd finally understand the quick succession of time. i do not.

anyway, realization and it feels so good?

chapter title: 'just a dream' by nelly

Chapter 22: let's go back to the start

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed had been lying flat on his back in his bed staring up at the ceiling for at least an hour, not moving a muscle and his brain going a mile a minute. It was only one sentence that was repeating over and over again.

You really love her

No. No he didn't. Not in that way at least. Of course, he did to a certain extent; she was his best friend, practically his family, so in a way, he did love her but he didn't LOVE her love her.

Or did he? No, it was impossible. He would've noticed. Or would he have? Winry started to drift in and out of his mind - her long blonde hair, her blue eyes, her laugh, her yelling, her comforting, stable presence, probably the only thing stable in his life besides his brother. No matter how long they went without talking or how often he fucked up his leg, no matter what happened, she was always there. Ed noticed the speed of his heart pick up with every thought.

Shit. Shit.

Ed was all about logic; he was about facts and equations and conclusions. He was quick to anger, but anger was easy - it was a defense. Any other emotion was a vulnerability, a crack in the armour, and he tried to avoid those when he could. But even if Ed removed the emotion, with the pieces that he had, there was only one answer: he was in love with her.

And she hated him. Great.

Ed was so lost in thought, his head spinning slightly, that he barely heard the door open and close. He heard a muffled sound, but he didn't register it until everything came crashing back into focus really quickly.

Ed turned his head to Al, who was sitting on the opposite side of the room looking at him weirdly. "What?"

"I said, we didn't see you at dinner," Al repeated. 

Ed looked back up at the ceiling. "Not hungry."

"Wow, things must be really bad." There was the sound of crumpling and something landed on Ed's stomach. "Brought you a sandwich anyway."

"Thanks."

Ed still didn't move and Al didn't say anything for a bit. They just sat in silence as Ed continued to feel like his world was shifting.

"Brother," Al finally said.

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

Ed didn't move or say anything for a beat, trying to decide how to handle this conversation for the third time that day. He was tired, though, and confused and (again, a new feeling) didn't feel like speaking. He took his phone that was in his right hand and moved it to his left, holding it out for Al.

"You can read it," Ed said. "I don't care."

He didn't have to look at him; Ed could feel Al hesitating. "Go ahead," Ed said again, turning his head. "It's easier than me having to explain anyway."

Al gingerly reached over and took the phone from Ed's hand. He knew it would be twisting the knife, but Ed couldn't help but watch Al's face as he read through the messages. Al was good at keeping his face a stone, though; his emotions had always come through more in his voice than in his face. 

"Okay," Al said. Yep. All the emotion.

"Yeah," Ed agreed. "It's bad."

"It's definitely not great."

"That's the understatement of the fucking century."

Al handed Ed his phone. "You were pretty stupid."

Ed almost laughed. "No brotherly respect or solidarity, huh?"

"Not when you're stupid."

Ed nodded. "That's fair, I guess." He finally sat up and leaned against his wall to face Al. "She cursed at me."

"Yeah, that's definitely a bad sign," Al said. "You're going to have to do a decent amount of apologizing."

"How do I even start?" Ed asked, picking at his bedspread. "'Hey, sorry I was such a dick, please unblock me'?"

"That's not bad."

"There's still the issue of her having blocked me," Ed pointed out. "On everything. Even Instagram, which she knows I haven't looked at in like four years."

Al thought for a moment, dug in his pocket, then tossed his phone to Ed, who caught it despite not knowing why Al had thrown it.

"What's this for?" Ed asked.

"To call Winry," Al said. "Obviously."

"What?"

"She's been kind of responsive to me, and I'll know she'll pick up the phone if I call. So call her and apologize before she has a chance to hang up."

Ed stared in bewilderment down at the phone, an old picture of him and Al lighting up the background. His pulse started to race.

"What if she blocks us both?" Ed asked. 

"Then we figure something else out," Al shrugged. "I'll drive you down to the house if you need me to."

"How do you know I won't just read all of your texts instead?"

Al rolled his eyes. "Guess I trust you. Want me to leave the room?"

"No," Ed said getting up. "I'll go outside. Gives me a chance to think of what to say."

"Good luck," Al said.

"Thanks." Ed put Al's phone in his pocket and walked out, rubbing the back of his head. What the fuck was he supposed to say? He couldn't just say sorry; that would just be lame. He didn't want to say too much, though, which he was also afraid of doing after his newfound realization. How much did he need to explain? How much would it actually matter? What if she didn't forgive him? What if she did?

The 'what if's went round and round in Ed's head as he pushed out the back doors and sat in the grass. The butterflies in his stomach intensified as he pulled Al's phone out of his pocket and opened it to Winry's contact. He stared down at her name and her picture, his mouth going dry before finally pressing the call button with shaking fingers.

Ed tapped his foot, every ring of the phone making his heart pick up speed. He counted every single one and prayed Al was right about her not thinking twice about picking up for him. She answered on the sixth ring.

“Hey Al, what’s up?”

Ed immediately regretted not having planned anything to say. The second he heard her voice, his mind went blank. 

"Hello? Al?"

He swallowed once. “Please don’t hang up.”

Ed prayed she hadn't hung up the second he had said 'please', but was too afraid to look and see if she actually had. The silence on the other end of the phone made him want to throw up.

He internally breathed a sigh of relief when she said, “What do you want?”

Ed could hear the clip in her voice and could see the look on her face as if she were right in front of him. He took a breath. "I know this is going to sound really lame, but I'm not really sure how else to start but just to say I'm sorry. I was totally out of line and I shouldn't have said that and I only did cause fucking Hohenheim had called which-"

He heard the sharp intake of breath that usually signaled she was about to interrupt, but he kept going, picking up his pace "-I know is not your fault and I shouldn't have taken that out on you cause that was really unfair and nothing that happened over the weekend was your fault at all and you were just trying to be there for me as always and you were right, I threw it in your face and I'm really sorry."

He stopped short, needing to breathe but not allowing himself to. He waited. And waited. And waited.

"You still there?" he asked.

"Yeah," Winry said. "I'm still here."

Ed finally took a breath. "And?"

"And what, Ed?" Winry snapped. "You were an asshole when there was no reason to be."

"I know."

"And you went way too far."

"I know. I'm really sorry." 

He felt her exasperated sigh as if she slapped him, but he still waited. At least she was still on the phone.

"Well," Winry said after a moment, "at least you know."

"And I'm sorry," Ed said quickly. "Again."

"Okay," she said. Her voice had softened. "I appreciate that."

"So," Ed said slowly, "do you still hate me?"

He could hear the eye roll in her voice. "You're ridiculous."

Ed couldn't help but smile. "Had to ask."

"You definitely didn't."

"Think you'll unblock me?"

Winry sighed. "I don't know, it has been nice not getting thousands of texts when you're bored."

"Isn't that calling the kettle black."

"Hey," she snapped. "You're on thin ice right now."

For the first time all day, Ed did actually laugh. "Okay, fair. I take it back."

"Good. And tell Al he's on thin ice too, I don't like being tricked."

"Noted."

Winry sighed again. "I should go. I'm in the middle of a leg."

"Okay," Ed said, his heart falling a little. "I'd just like to reiterate that I'm very sorry."

"Well...good," she said. "Maybe I'll talk to you later."

Ed smiled. "Yeah sounds good. Bye Win."

"Bye Ed."

Ed hung up and breathed a small sigh of relief as he let his head fall between his knees. At least it was a start.

He stood slowly and walked back inside, his hands in his pockets. He had just reached his door when he felt his phone vibrate.

I don't hate you

Ed grinned. He felt embarrassed and stupid and cringey but he still grinned.

i was kind of hoping u didnt

The embarrassment and the cringe feeling continued as he sit send and walked in his room.

"How'd it go?" Al asked.

Ed tossed Al his phone back. "Winry doesn't like being tricked, just an FYI."

"But I'm guessing by the look on your face and the fact your phone is in your hand that it went well."

Ed shrugged, but was still grinning. "She doesn't hate me. Anyway, where'd that sandwich go? I'm fucking starving." 

"Why are you blushing?"

"If you hadn't just saved my ass, I'd kill you in your sleep."

Notes:

my brain is very mushy right now so i don't know what to say here but THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS AND KUDOS AND LOVE

chapter title: "the scientist" by coldplay

Chapter 23: i don't know what it is but i got that feeling

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

W: Stop letting me win

E: wut

W: At cards, you're letting me win

E: no im not

W: Yes you are and it's obvious so stop

W: You don't have to keep apologizing

E: ...fine

W: So you admit you were letting me win

E: i may have made an intentional mistake or two

W: Worst way to apologize ever

E: u like winning tho

W: I like winning when I actually beat you, not when you let me beat you

W: It's no fun if you get something out of losing

E: wut do i get by losing?

W: Back in my good graces

E: i thought i was there

W: You have now definitely taken a step back out. If you stop letting me win, you'll get back in

E: ugh

E: u r so much work

W: STEPPING FURTHER OUT

E: sorry sorry i take it back

E: u r no work at all

E: easiest person in the world

W: ...Okay I don't like the way that sounds either

E: theres just no winning with u is there?

W: Oh there definitely is

W: You just haven't figured it out yet

E: challenge accepted

W: Good luck. You've known me for 18 years and haven't gotten it so clearly you'll need it

E: we will see about that

***

"Winry? Hey, Winry! HELLO!"

Winry finally looked up from mindlessly staring at her phone when a french fry hit her face. She suddenly remembered she was in the cafeteria and was supposed to be eating lunch with Paninya.

"What?!" Winry said, glaring at Paninya as she was primed to throw another french fry.

"What's up?" Paninya laughed. "You're face looks weird."

"Gee, thanks."

"No, I mean, you're looking at your phone all weird. What happened?"

"Nothing," Winry said shrugging, looking back down to send a message to Ed. She glanced back up and saw the unbelieving look on Paninya's face. 

Winry blew her hair out of her eyes. "I don't know, something's different."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, it's weird," Winry tried to explain. "Me and Ed are talking like we have before our fight but something's...different now."

"Bad different?" Paninya asked, eating another fry.

"No, just...different. I can't really explain it."

"It's only been two weeks since you made up," Paninya pointed out. "Maybe he's just trying not to make you mad again."

Winry shook her head. "It's not like that. It's more of a..." Winry groaned. "I don't know, I don't know how to explain it."

Paninya wiped off her hands and motioned for Winry's phone. "Let me see." 

Winry passed it over and watched as Paninya scrolled through her latest messages with Ed, chewing on her fingernail as she did. Paninya slowly started to smile, a devilish smile that made her nervous.

"I know what's different," Paninya said with a laugh. "He's being flirty."

Winry felt herself blushing, grabbing her phone from Paninya and frantically scrolling. "What?"

"I think he's FLIRTING with you, Winry," Paninya laughed again. "In a weird way that seems to fit with Ed."

"Why would he be flirting with me?!" Winry exclaimed, her heart threatening to burst out of her chest.

"You really did not just ask me that question," Paninya answered. "Think about it."

Winry chewed on her nail again, scrolling through her messages. No, it couldn't be true, there was no way. 

"Do you really think he likes me?" Winry looked up.

Paninya shrugged. "I don't know, but that looks like flirting."

"Well, what am I supposed to do?! How am I supposed to tell?!"

Paninya thought for a second. "Why don't we go up there?"

"Up where? To Amestris?"

"See him in person," Paninya said. "Over text and in person are very different, it might be easier to tell."

"You think so?"

"Definitely," Paninya said. "At least, it would be easier for me to tell and then I can tell you."

"Ed's on lockdown though," Winry pointed out. "I don't want to get him in more trouble."

"He can't leave school," Paninya said. "There's no rule about us going up there and standing in the parking lot."

"I guess that's true," Winry said slowly. She was getting more and more jittery with every piece of this plan. "What do I tell Ed though?"

"Just say we're bored. Which isn't a complete lie, I'm dying recently."

Winry raised an eyebrow. "This isn't just some elaborate scheme to see Rose, is it?"

"No, this is completely selfless," Paninya said with a hand on her heart. "However, if we were to run into Rose while we were up there, that would be a total coincidence."

Winry rolled her eyes. "Right. Total coincidence."

** 

W: What time is your detention over?

E: like 4

E: y

W: Would we be able to come up and hang out?"

E: today?

E: u and pan?

W: Yeah, we're so bored with all of you not leaving

E: its just be that cant leave

W: They wouldn't leave without you

E: ling would

W: ANYWAY

W: Is that okay? We wouldn't get you in more trouble would we?

E: dont think so

W: So...that's okay then?

W: We could bring food

E: yeh that's cool

E: sounds good yeh come on up

E: cool

W: ...Okay then

E: wut

W: Nothing lol you're being weird

E: no im not

W: You definitely are

E: whatever i had too much caffeine

W: Didn't think that was possible for you

E: well it is 

E: its scientifically possible for everyone to over caffeinate

W: I think that's the longest, almost grammatically correct sentence you've ever sent

E: im going to stop texting u now

W: No you're not

E: w/e im only texting becuz im bored and dont want to listen to ling

W: Sure sure

W: I'm about to go into class so I'll see later I guess?

E: yeh see u later

E: cool

W: Internally taking a shot every time you say cool

E: BYE

Notes:

alright, i gotta be honest with you all. i have been sitting on a COMPLETELY different version of this chapter for like a month now and i hated it lol and i only now was like 'here's how i can fix it' so sorry about the long wait

thanks everyone for the comments/kudos/general reading! it's definitely helped pushed through the writer's block

chapter title: 'i like me better' by lauv

Chapter 24: should I be searching for some kind of meaning?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

P: i think we might need reinforcements for our investigation

W: What does that mean?

P: i can't be staring at ed the entire time we're there, that would be bad for my eyesight

W: And?

P: what if i miss something?

W: AAAAND....

P: ...and rose said she'd come out and say hi

W: There it is

P: okay so sue me! i wanted to see her! 

W: Okay, but does reinforcements mean? Wouldn't I just be able to tell you what I see?

P: no offense but you'd never notice. you didn't even realize he was flirting with you

W: IF he was flirting with me

P: exactly my point. so why not enlist the rest of the girl gang?

W: No. Absolutely not. I don't need everyone to know that I'm in love with Ed

P: my dear it is FAR too late for that

W: I'm sorry, WHAT?!

P: there's like a 90% chance they already know and have known for as long as they've known you

P: which has only been a couple months but it is very obvious, even when it wasn't obvious to you

W: UUUUUGGGHHHH

P: wow you must be REALLY embarrassed to text like that

W: I just don't know what to do!!

P: okay well this is the first step. we need more eyes.

P: we don't even need to tell them you love him, just that *he* might like you

W: Fine

W: WAIT NO

W: Actually, no, fine, just do it

***

TO: Girl Gang Squad

P: we need your help

M: oh?

LF: Who's we?

P: me and winry, but mainly winry

P: she's here, she's just probably cowering from embarrassment

W: I hate everything that's happening

LF: Is this about Ed?

W: How could you possibly know that?

LF: :)

LF: What do you need?

P: there's a possibility that ed is in love with winry

M: we already know he is though

W: You do?!!

M: i mean, i don't think he knows that, but it's obvious

LF: It's VERY obvious

P: well he might know now

M: ?!

LF: Oooh, an interesting development!

P: i s2g he was flirting with her via text. or attempting to

LF: He has been very smiley lately, it's been scaring the children

M: it is a little creepy

P: SEE WINRY?!

W: That doesn't actually prove anything though. He could just be happy

M: i'm sorry i thought we were talking about ed

W: ...Okay point taken

LF: So what can we do?

P: when we come up later, we just need more eyes on ed, see how he acts. especially around winry

LF: Done. I can do some pre scouting too

W: That sounds terrifying

LF: :)

M: ooo this will be fun!!

W: I might die

***

P: have you noticed anything strange about your brother lately?

A: You're going to have to be more specific

P: like...has he been *extra* strange and happy lately?

A: ...I'm still lost. Can you just tell me what happened?

P: okay, earlier winry let me read some messages between her and ed and he seemed like he was attempting to flirt with her

A: What?? Really??

P: i mean she was completely oblivious until i told her but YEAH it seemed like flirting

A: Interesting...I guess now that you mention it, he's been smiling a lot and spending more time on his phone than before but in a different way. Like he actually stops to think before sending a message

P: he thinks??

P: oh he's definitely flirting

A: I just assumed he was watching what he said after what happened

P: that's what i thought, cause she told me things had been different between them lately but then i read the messages and idk?!

***

M: i'm secretly enlisting you onto the team

A: What team is that?

M: well apparently ed has been flirting with winry (or trying to??) so when they come up here later, we're all on watch duty

A: Wait, is this because of those texts or something?

M: yeah wait how do you already know?

A: Paninya just told me

M: oh

M: well, yes she set the plan

A: okay then hold on

***

A: So am I on the watch patrol team now that I know what's going on?

P: oh right i assumed may would've told you already

M: hadn't had a chance to but yes i just informed him of the plan

P: good good we should enlist all the help we can

A: Does Winry know this is happening?

P: yes

P: but she doesn't know that you know any information at all so we'll keep this side separate

A: This is...confusing

Paninya named group 'SECRET CELL GROUP'

A: Now we're a secret cell?

P: duh

M: why do all our group chat names have two different words for 'group' in them?

P: emphasis

P: so yeah al, you're on the DL

M: and no false information just so you can win

P: ?????

A: May and I have been betting on this relationship happening, we've been monitoring the situation for a few months

P: omg

P: that's f-ing hilarious

A: Only honesty from me, I swear

P: ok GO TEAM

***

M: do you really think he's finally realized?

A: I don't know, I guess we'll see how he acts.

M: did you say anything to him?

A: To bring him to this possible realization? I don't think so. Why?

M: he just doesn't seem the type to recognize this on his own

A: Good point...maybe Ling said something?

M: i doubt it

M: there's a reason he's the only one besides ed (obvi) that's completely clueless of all of this

A: Haha I guess that's true. Hm another mystery I guess...

M: looks like i'm on the path to victory!

A: Now now, don't count your chickens before the hatch

Notes:

guess who's back...back again...

hello happy new year how are we all doing, i've been way too busy lately but now i'm on vacation and can come back here hooray! hopefully people are still interested but who knows, thanks for all the kudos while i've been away! :)

chapter title: 'maybe you're the reason' by the japanese house

Chapter 25: got me like cray-cray-crazy in love

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed thought about his earlier messages with Winry all through detention and as he walked with the group to the parking lot later. He had made a complete idiot of himself. Lately, he had suddenly found himself second-guessing every text he sent, trying to not sound like he was in love with Winry but also trying to not embarrass himself. Ed assumed that he had managed to do both.

Did she know now? Or had he somehow recovered? What was he supposed to do?

It didn't help that he could feel eyes boring into the back of his head.

"Oh my god, WHAT?!" Ed finally snapped, whipping around to glare at Lan Fan, who just smiled eerily back.

"What?" she said with a fake innocence that made his skin crawl.

"Why are you staring at the back of my head?" Ed asked.

"You seem antsy," Lan Fan answered. "What's wrong?"

The concern mixed with the tone of her voice quickly changed Ed's emotions from anger to fear. "Why are you asking?"

"I'm offended, Edward!" Lan Fan said. "I'm asking as a friend!"

"My ass, you are," Ed grumbled.

"Believe what you want," she said flicking her bangs out of her face. "Why so jumpy though?"

"It's nothing."

"You've been acting strange since you told us Winry and Pan were coming up. Did something happen again?"

"Stop."

Lan Fan smirked and glided past him. "I think that's my answer."

"No the fuck it isn't!" Ed said, turning around to say something else, but Lan Fan was already at the front whispering something to May.

Ed could feel his face burning as he was left alone in the back of the group. He tried to take deep breaths as they reached the front door, but his heart was beating so hard it felt like it might create a permanent indent in his chest. He tried to calm himself down.

Hydrogen, helium, lithium

Al at the head of the pack opened the front door.

Beryllium, boron, carbon

"There's Winry's car," Al said.

Ed looked over just as Winry stepped out of the car, pushing her bangs out of her face and looking toward them. 

Shit. She was beautiful.

Nitrogen, oxygen, fluorine

He looked down at his feet, feeling his ears ringing as everyone walked over. He could barely hear anyone saying anything as he shuffled around and tried to focus on the periodic table.

Neon, sodium, magnesium

"Earth to Ed!"

Ed snapped his head up to find blue eyes staring at him. His breath caught in his throat.

"Are you okay?" Winry asked. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," Ed said. "I'm totally good. Fine."

"Are you sure?" Lan Fan asked with a smirk. He would've flipped her off if his hands weren't shaking.

"Why are you shuffling around like that?" Ling asked.

"Why is everyone so obsessed with me all of a sudden?" Ed snapped. 

"Tooouchyyy," Ling said with raised hands.

Ed's eyes snapped to Winry who was just looking at him. Shit, he didn't want to make her mad. That would only make his problems worse. "Sorry," he said quietly.

"I'm sorry, WHAT was that?!" Lan Fan laughed.

"That wasn't to you!" Ed glared. 

"Seems like love is in the air," May said.

"What?" Ed said, trying to control the panic in his voice. 

May pointed towards the front door where Paninya was standing with Rose, who was giggling and pushing her hair out of her face as Paninya flirted. Even from a distance, it was obvious she was flirting.

"Oh," Ed said, trying to control his breathing again. "Gross."

"Is she always like that?" Ling asked.

"Yes," Winry said. "She doesn't really know how to do subtle."

With everyone's eyes on Paninya and Rose, Ed took the opportunity to slip away. He went to the back of the car and leaned against the trunk, looking down at his feet to avoid the urge to turn and stare at Winry every chance he could.

He felt embarrassed at himself for freaking out like he was. Was there really any reason to freak out? 

Ed thought about it for a minute. To him, yes. Yes, there was. He was in love with his best friend and didn't know what to do about it. He also felt like his feelings were tattooed on his forehead, despite his best efforts to play it cool, something he knew he wasn't particularly good at. Ed breathed out a sigh of annoyance as he moved his hands to his sweatshirt pocket. 

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Ed's stomach did a backflip as he looked up and saw Winry standing next to him. He looked back down at his feet.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said with a nod.

"You're acting weird," Winry said leaning next to him.

"Don't mean to."

"Is it because we fought? Cause you know I forgive you right?"

Ed chuckled. "Yeah, I know. It's not you." That was a lie. It was her, just not in the way she thought.

"Then what's up?" Winry asked. "Cause I don't buy that you're okay."

Ed sighed and looked up slightly. Winry was looking at him with a raised eyebrow and a pout on her face. Ed felt a blush creep across his face.

"I'm just tired," Ed said quickly, looking straight ahead. "I'm sick of detention and being stuck at school all the time."

"Aren't you always stuck at school?"

"Well, yeah, but now I can't even go for a walk or a drive." 

"You hate driving."

"Yeah but now I don't even have the option. It's bullshit."

"Oh, right," Winry said finally understanding. "Parent or guardian."

Ed scuffed his shoes on the ground as he tried to get rid of some of his excess energy. "Yep."

"How many more days of detention do you have?"

"Tomorrow and Friday. Can't leave campus though for another two weeks, I'm going to go fucking nuts."

Winry was quiet for a minute. He felt her shrug next to him. "Come home, then."

Ed looked up. "What?"

Winry stopped, opened her mouth like she was going to say something, then stopped again. "Well," she said when she finally started talking, "I just thought that, you know, since you can't go anywhere, home is a good place to go cause Granny can sign you out since she's listed as a parent or guardian on everything right? So yeah she could do that I'm sure and then yeah you'd come home-"

"She'd have to come up here to sign me out," Ed said, cutting off Winry's ramble.

"She can be persuasive over the phone."

Ed blinked. Winry stared back at him and then looked away, shaking her hair out of her face. "I mean, if you don't want to come home, that's fine. I just thought, ya know, it would be a way to get off campus for a bit-"

"No," Ed said shaking his head. "No, that sounds good. Yeah, anything to get out of here."

"Okay. Cool. Cool" Winry said, pushing herself off the trunk. "I'll ask Granny when I get home later. I'm sure she'll be fine with it."

"Thanks," Ed said with a nod.

Winry smiled, which made Ed's ears burn. "Cool. I'll, um, keep you posted then." She smiled again then turned and went back to the rest of the group.

Three days at home with Winry. Alone. He felt like throwing up at the thought. At least he had two days to prepare.

Notes:

oops i vanished again, my bad, but HERE I AM! also i think it's been a year since i started posting this? or close to a year? so thank you everyone for reading and commenting and kudos-ing, it is very lovely

chapter title: 'loco' by itzy

Chapter 26: but i gotta see you

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed walked quickly to Mustang's office on Friday morning, his hands shoved in his sweatshirt pockets as he chewed his lip. He knew pretty much immediately what this was going to be about when a scared freshman stammered out that Mustang wanted to see him while he was sitting in the cafeteria, but suddenly his stomach felt like it was doing backflips.

Ed didn't bother knocking (he never did); he barged his way into Mustang's office as soon as he rounded the corner. Mustang didn't look up from his work (he never did) as Ed dropped himself in the chair opposite him.

"You know," Mustang said, his pen moving quickly across the page, "most people knock at a closed door."

"Wow, you learn something new everyday," Ed responded. This was not the first time they had had this conversation and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

Mustang put his pen down and looked up at Ed, folding his hands in front of his face and staring across his knuckles. 

"I got a very interesting call earlier today," Mustang started.

"You've finally been let go?"

"A Pinako Rockbell," Mustang continued, ignoring Ed's comment. Ed suddenly had butterflies.

"Imagine that," Ed said.

"She wanted me to let you go home for the weekend without her coming up here to sign you out, even though you're on probation. Know anything about that?"

Ed just shrugged. Mustang raised an eyebrow.

"Is this for a leg adjustment?"

"Nope," Ed said. "Just...want to go home."

Mustang paused as he dropped his folded hands to the desk. "Should I be concerned about anything?"

"Yeah, actually," Ed said, "I have this teacher who won't get off my back. Think you can something?"

"I couldn't imagine what that's like," Mustang said. "Leaving to get some time away from said teacher?"

Ed looked at floor. "Nope. Just...going home."

He picked his eyes up slightly from the floor to look at Mustang, who seemed to be smirking. "Going to see your live-in mechanic?"

Ed rolled his eyes, cursing the day he had ever mentioned that. "Well since she lives there, yeah, I will see her."

Mustang just 'hmm'-d in response and stared back at Ed. The look on his face made Ed think that Hawkeye had said something to him, and suddenly Mustang's smirk and the silence in the room was starting to piss Ed off.
 
"What, do I need to make an argument to go home?" Ed snapped.

"Probably wouldn't hurt," Mustang answered. Ed knew he was enjoying this.

"I'd just like to go hang out with a friend after being stuck here," Ed said. "I'm starting to lose my f-"

"Language. And it's your own fault you've been stuck here."

"Holy hell," Ed groaned.

"Maybe next time you'll think twice before being a delinquent."

Ed rolled his eyes again. "Whatever. Can I go or not?"

Mustang paused then picked up the paper he had been writing on when Ed first came in and handed it to him. Ed took it, realizing it was a weekend slip. Mustang had signed above "parent or guardian".  

"So you were always going to let me go?" Ed said.

"Don't know what you're talking about," Mustang said. "Your argument was solid and your stir craziness is starting to scare the children."

Ed stood, muttered a 'thanks', and turned to leave.  

"Have fun with your mechanic," Mustang said as Ed opened the door. Ed responded by stomping out the door and slamming it, hoping that Mustang didn't see that his face had started to get red.

***

E: got permission for the weekend

W: Nice! Granny said she would call today

E: yah mustang enjoyed the power trip this whole thing gave him

W: Imagine that

W: What time do you think you'll leave?

E: last detention ends at 5, i can pretty much leave after that

W: Cool. My last class is a study hall so I'll be home early

E: cool

W: So...see you later I guess?

E: yah see ya

W: Cool

E: cool   

***

Al opened the door to his and Ed's room before heading down to dinner and was surprised to find Ed looking through his desk drawers. Al paused in the doorway, confused. It wasn't like Ed to snoop through his stuff. He looked at the open bag on Ed's bed and the clothes thrown around and the pieces came together. May had told him about the weekend plan after Winry had told the girls, but Ed hadn't brought it up. Al tried not to smile at the opportunity to mess with his brother.

"What're you doing?" Al said, prompting Ed to jump backward with a loud "fuck!"

"Shit, you scared me," Ed said as Al closed the door. "I'm looking for the car keys."  

Al dropped his backpack on the floor then pulled the keys out of the front pocket. "Why do you need them?"

"I'm going home for the weekend," Ed answered, catching the keys when Al tossed them over.

"How are you allowed to?" Al asked. "I thought you couldn't leave until the end of the month."

"Pinako called Mustang and he signed off on it," Ed said, pulling a yellow slip out of his pocket. "Got a pass and everything."

"Wow," Al said. "When did you plan this?"

"I didn't really," Ed said, stuffing books into his bag. "I told Winry I was going out of my fucking mind being stuck here and she suggested I go home so she asked Pinako to call and she did."

"So you're driving home," Al repeated. "You are choosing to drive yourself home."

Ed looked up from packing his stuff. "Is that a problem?"

"No," Al answered quickly. "No, not at all." He was glad Ed had turned back to packing, otherwise he might've noticed the sly grin that crossed his face. "That'll be nice. Going home...hanging out...not at school."

Ed looked up slowly as Al sat on his own bed. "Did you...want to come?"

Al laughed. "You don't sound too enthusiastic about that idea."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Seems like you don't want me," Al said with a fake pout. 

"Fucking hell," Ed groaned. "If you want to come, you should come! Go get a pass!"

Al shook his head. "That's okay, I'll stay here."

"Okay then," Ed said, zipping his bag.

"When are you leaving?"

"Like, right now."

"Wow," Al said, "you really want to get out of here."

"Yeah, all I've been doing for two weeks is work and detention," Ed answered. "I'm getting antsy."

"Can't stay still for even two weeks?"

"If you didn't have May here, you wouldn't be so happy to be stuck."

Al felt his ears burning. He had to turn the tables back around. "Well, usually you're never eager to go home. Just want to hang out with Winry maybe?"

Ed punched him hard on the shoulder, which Al couldn't say he hadn't anticipated. 

"Only because I'm tired of hanging out with you, asshole," Ed grumbled, swinging his bag over his shoulder and shoving the car keys in his pocket.

"Can you bring me back pie?"

"Fuck you."

"Have a good time!" Al said as Ed opened the door.

"Yeah, yeah," Ed said. "See you Monday."

***

TO: Girl Gang Squad

P: is he there yet?

W: OMG Please leave me alone

LF: Yeah, she's freaking out

W: AM NOT

P: are too, you've been nervous and jumpy since you asked him home

W: STOP

M: well if it helps he totally loves you

W: IT DOESN'T it just makes me more nervous

M: sorry but it's true!! he's completely in love

LF: BTW loved the "love is in the air" touch the other day, he definitely showed his colors there

M: thank you very much :)

P: ur welcome for the opportunity

LF: I'm actually surprised you asked him home Winry

P: WE ALL ARE

W: It just came out of my mouth without me even thinking about it! Then I panicked!

P: something's gonna haaaaappen

***

A: Ed just left like the building was falling down around him

M: he want as much alone time with winry as possible

P: but does that mean he knows he loves her??

A: Well, I took the opportunity of him never telling me this plan to mess with him a bit and when he asked if I wanted to come, he definitely said it in a tone that was like 'please say no'

M: like i said! he wants all the alone time

A: Should we all just not text them this weekend? Force them together?

P: oooo hadn't thought about that....that could be good

A: It would just be Ling texting him since he doesn't know

M: oh he definitely knows all about this whole thing already

P: he does??

M: there's no way that lan fan didn't tell him. she tell him everything

P: and we're SURE they're not hooking up?

M: who knows. they can be next on the list

A: Let's go find out if he knows and tell them the plan. Cafeteria right?

M: it's a safe bet

***

As they had assumed, Al and May found both Ling and Lan Fan sitting in the back of the cafeteria, talking over three plates of french fries. Al and May sat down opposite them.

"Hello Alphonse, sister," Ling said. "How can we help you?"

"So you know, right?" May said, cutting straight to the point. "About the whole Ed and Winry situation?"

Ling raised an eyebrow as he popped a fry into his mouth. "And what situation is that?"

May just stared hard back at him. Ling kept the eye contact, opening his eyes a bit wider. Al had to admit; it was a little scary to watch the staring contest.

Eventually, though, Ling broke. "Fine. Yes, I know about the situation."

"Knew it," May said, leaning back. "You two are so predictable."

"He was going to find out eventually anyway," Lan Fan said through a mouthful of food. "What was the point of keeping it from him?"

"And you know Ed is going home for the weekend, right?" Al said.

"I assumed he got permission when he was called away at lunch," Ling answered. He raised his eyebrow again. "Why? What are you scheming?"

"No one's going to text either of them this weekend," Al said. "Total radio silence from all of us."

"Ah," Ling said, understanding. "We're forcing them together as much as possible."

"Exactly."

"Alphonse, I'm impressed." Ling leaned back, folding his arms with a small smile. "I didn't think you had this devious streak in you."

"What can I say?" Al shrugged. "They've been dancing around each other their whole lives, I'm tired of it."

"Even if it costs you your money?" May teased. Al felt himself blushing.

Lan Fan laughed. "You guys have a bet?"

"I want in," Ling said. "What are the terms? How much is the buy in?"

"No way," May said. "This is just me and Al."

"How adorable." 

Al resisted the urge to hide his face but felt comfort in the fact that he could see May also turning a shade of pink.

"Maybe we'll have our own side bet," Lan Fan said.

"Yes, let's," Ling answered, "and we'll keep them out of it."

"How adorable," May mocked.

Ling only winked back.

Notes:

all the pieces are falling together....will they won't they.....who knows...(i do) (lol)

chapter title: 'see through' - the band camino

Chapter 27: like real people do

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry sat in her work room, chewing on her nail and trying not to look out the window for the Elric car every ten seconds like she had been doing since Ed let her know he was on his way. 

She wasn't lying when she told the girls her invite to Ed had just fallen out of her mouth; before, this would've been a totally natural thing so her mouth had said it without her brain reminding her that things were different now. Or were they different? They were definitely different for her and, by what her friends said, they might be different for Ed.

But were they actually different for Ed? Winry groaned, prompting Den to look up from her spot on the floor with what looked like a raised eyebrow. Winry patted her head, trying to calm her racing pulse and racing mind. How was she supposed to play it cool while he was here when she couldn't even do that with him not here?

There was no time to think about it now. Winry suddenly heard a car door close and whipped her head toward the window as Den immediately ran out of the room barking. Winry bolted toward the mirror, trying to make her hair look better but not like she hadn't purposely tried to make it look good. She felt absolutely ridiculous.

Winry tried to calmly walk down the stairs as she breathed a little bit deeper, Den scratching at the door and whining at the sound of jangling keys on the other side. She opened the door, releasing Den outside to weave between the legs of their startled visitor.

Winry had to physically stop herself from catching her breath as she looked up into Ed's face. He really was good looking.

"Sorry," Winry said. "I heard you on the other side so-"

"Oh, thanks," Ed answered. She wished he would stop staring at her. She looked down to avoid looking in his eyes.

"Nice uniform," Winry said.

"You should see it on everyone else."

"I'm sure it looks better, since they don't have the disgusting sweatshirt."

Ed rolled his eyes. "Not even back for two seconds..." He looked down at Den, who had jumped up to get attention. "Geez, Den, you're going to break my leg."

"No, only you do that," Winry said, turning from the door and walking inside. It was better if they weren't so close to each other.

"Already regretting this," Ed grumbled.

Winry dropped herself into a chair. "You'd rather still be at school?"

"Fuck no," Ed said, dropping his bag on the floor. 

"Language!" Both Ed and Winry turned to the basement door as Pinako's voice travelled up the stairs. "I'm allowing you to be here, I'll kick you out in a second pipsqueak!"

"Hag," Ed muttered under his breath as he slumped down on the couch.

"How was your last detention?" Winry asked, folding her legs up underneath her.

"Long," Ed said. "Hawkeye was asking about my plans for the weekend so Mustang obviously told her I was coming here."

"Or she was just being polite, which is probably more likely. This obsession you have with your teachers is weird."

"I do not have an obsession with my teachers."

"You're constantly talking about them!"

"I am not! I just know that they're fucking," Ed responded as he started to untie his shoes.

"Is this obsession with them because you have no one?" Winry said with a sad face.

"I have you."

Winry felt her face grow hot as the air was sucked out of lungs. Ed froze with his shoe half off as the silence in the room engulfed both of them. 

"What-" Winry's voice cracked and she coughed to try and cover it. "What do you mean?"

Ed slowly pulled his shoe off and threw it behind him, refusing to make eye contact with her. "I, uh, I meant I have no time to find someone because you're constantly bothering me."

Winry rolled her eyes, her breath finally returning but her cheeks still burning a bit. "I think you're the one who's constantly bothering me."

"Sure, sure," Ed said standing up and still not looking at her. "Keep telling yourself that. I'm going to get changed." 

"Leaving the room will only confirm that I'm right," Winry teased.

"What?!" Ed finally looked at her. "How does that work?"

"Well, it means you have no argument to defend your point that I'm the one bothering you instead of the other way around."

"You didn't exactly make an argument."

"So? I will if you need me to."

"You're fucking exhausting," Ed grunted as he went to get his bag, "and lucky that I'm desperate to get out of this uniform."

"Welcome home!" Winry smiled as Ed started to head up the stairs.

"Yeah, whatever." 

Winry waited until she heard the door close before she pulled out her phone, shooting a text to Paninya about what Ed had just said. 

'I have you'

What exactly did that mean? Did that confirm what everyone else was saying? Ed wasn't exactly convincing with his excuse that he gave her. But that didn't mean anything was going to happen. 

Winry dropped her face into her hands and breathed out sharply. It was going to be a long weekend.

---

Ed was losing and losing badly. He knew the second Winry suggested they play gin after dinner he was probably going to lose; he couldn't focus on anything more complex than putting a sentence together at the moment, especially with Winry sitting so close to him, her brow furrowed as she looked over her cards, her legs crossed as she faced away from him on the couch.

He couldn't stop thinking about what he had said earlier. 'I have you' Shit, he was so stupid. It had just come out of his mouth, he hadn't even thought about it until it was already out there and too late to take back. Ed had tried to recover as best he could but he was sure the damage was done. She didn't seem to be acting any different so maybe she didn't think anything of it. But was that a bad thing? Did he want her to think something of it? Round and round these questions had gone through his head all night until there was no room left for anything else.

"Gin," Winry said, dropping her cards on the table.

"Shit," Ed responded throwing his down. "I give up."

"You're so bad tonight," Winry laughed. "That's the fifth game you've lost."

"Thanks for the reminder," Ed said, leaning his head back on the couch. He found staring at the ceiling was better for him than staring at her face. From the corner of his eye, he saw Winry pull her phone out and frown.

"Am I boring you?" he said.

"Always," she responded. "No, I texted Paninya a few hours ago but she hasn't responded which is unusual for her."

"Maybe she's too busy texting Rose. What time is it anyway?" He only just noticed that everything had gotten very dark and Den had followed Granny at some point after she had gone to bed.

She shifted so her back was against couch and she was sitting next to him. "1:30," she answered. "Time flies when I'm beating you, I guess."

"Hey, remember when you wouldn't talk to me? Maybe we should go back to that."

"Then where would you have gone this weekend? And who would you text all the time when you're bored or about your teachers or your terrible dinner or-"

"Okay! Okay, fuck," Ed cut her off as he felt his face turning red. "I get it. And you text me equally as much by the way."

"I do not."

"Are you shitting me? I've gotten so many messages from you about Paninya, your welding class, your creepy client, also when YOU're bored, you - "

"Okay!" she said suddenly. "Thank you for laying it all out like that."

"Only did it because you did." He finally turned his face to look at her as she rolled her eyes.

"You're impossible," Winry said. 

"Seriously, what did you even do without me?"

"Mostly just thought about what an asshole you are."

"That's fair, I guess," Ed mumbled. "I'm-"

"Please don't apologize again," Winry cut him off. "I think you've apologized enough now."

"How do you know I was going to apologize? Maybe I was going to say I'm not sorry." Ed was surprised that he could sound even remotely flirty with how much his hands were shaking.

"You know what?" Winry said. "You're right. I think I also liked it better when I wasn't speaking to you."

"Which time?" Ed said with a laugh.

"All times," Winry answered, also laughing. She looked down at her hands, her hair falling over her face and Ed suddenly had the urge reach out and tuck it behind her ear. 

"Don't you think it's weird," Winry was saying as Ed sat on his hand to avoid the temptation, "how we used to go forever without speaking and suddenly we can't make it a few days?"

Ed shrugged. "Haven't really thought about it," he lied. 

"Gee thanks," Winry said rolling her eyes.

"I didn't mean it like that," Ed said. "I just meant, I don't know, I...don't think it's weird."

"Really?" Winry asked, turning to look at him. 

"Why? Are you sick of talking to me all the time already?"

"Yes," Winry answered. "Absolutely."

Ed was suddenly aware of how close they were to each other and could feel his heart beating against his chest, but he didn’t move. Despite this hyper-awareness of how nervous he felt, he found himself smiling slightly.

“Face it,” Ed said, “you miss me all the time.”

Winry rolled her eyes but he could see she was smiling a bit. "Not even a little bit."

“Liar.” He lifted his head off the back of the couch slightly and noticed that she had too.

“You wish.” 

She was moving closer to him. Or was he moving closer to her? It suddenly felt like his heart was in his throat. They were only a breath apart.

Then they came together.

Their lips seemed to be just barely touching at first, but then Ed found himself reaching up and threading his hand through her hair like he had so badly wanted to do before. He felt dizzy with the smell of her and the feeling of her lips on his. Then Winry was putting her hands around his neck and he had moved his hands from her hair to her waist. Ed pulled her closer and her grip tightened on the back of his head. What started out as hesitant turned quickly into an almost desperate need to make up for all the seconds they hadn’t kissed each other. They were colliding; he was kissing her, she was kissing him, and Ed found himself wondering how he could have ever imagined, let alone lived in, a world where he wasn’t kissing Winry Rockbell.

There was a noise overhead, and it occurred to Ed who he was, who she was, who they were to each other. As quickly as they had come together, they shot apart to opposite ends of the couch. Still breathing heavily, they looked up almost in sync to where the noise had come from. 

After a few minutes of silence, Ed turned to look at Winry who was still watching the ceiling. Finally, she turned to look at him. 

Ed didn’t know what to say. He found himself just staring at Winry who stared back at him, mentally trying to kick himself into doing or saying something instead of sitting there like an idiot.

“I should go to bed,” Winry said suddenly, standing up quickly.

“Oh, right, yeah,” Ed said sitting forward. “I should probably do that too.”

“Right, it’s late.”

“Yes. Exactly.”

“So…” Winry bit her lip, staring down at him. He felt his face flush.

“So,” he practically whispered, unable to get his voice to produce anymore sound. There was silence between them again. 

“Good night.” She turned sharply on her heel and walked quickly up the stairs. 

“Night,” he said. He watched her go and listened until he heard her door shut. Then he flopped his head back on the couch. “Fuck.”

Notes:

i thought about splitting this into two chapters but it's about time this happened, this burn has been slow enough ;)

 

chapter title: 'like real people do' - hozier

Chapter 28: but i think i really like you

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry sat in her room trying desperately to focus on the arm in front of her. She had been sitting there for hours trying to push out everything swirling through her head. Every time she picked up her wrench, though, her mind slipped to the night before. She could feel Ed’s lips on hers, his hand in her hair, his pulse beating in time with hers. All that did, though, was bring up a chorus of questions. What did this mean? Did he actually like her like she liked him or had he just gotten caught up in the moment? Would things suddenly be awkward with them? What did this mean?

Winry leaned back against her chair, giving up on work. She pulled her bandana out of her hair, crossing her arms across her chest as she thought. Granny had come in to let her know she was heading to the store, but Winry hadn’t heard anything from Ed, not even his door opening or the creak of the stairs.

She sat and debated with herself. Would it be worse to ask him about it or to pretend like nothing had happened? Did she want to pretend like nothing had happened? The answer was an obvious no, but if he wanted to pretend like nothing had happened, would she be willing to do that and go back to the way things were? Could they go back to the way things were?

Winry huffed impatiently and stood quickly. She threw open her door, crossed the hallway, and knocked decisively.

“Yeah, come in,” came the response.

Winry strolled in, barely looking at Ed as he sat up quickly, and sat herself down at the edge of his bed.

“We need to talk,” she said.

“Okay,” Ed said, clearing his throat. 

Winry’s nerve had come fast and left even faster as his gold eyes stared at her from across the bed. Her mouth was suddenly dry.

She cleared her throat as she felt her face grow hot. “So.”

“So,” Ed answered. She noticed a blush creep across his face.

“About, um, about last night.”

Ed nodded, looking down at his hands that were resting on his knees. “Right.”

“It was…um…” What was it she had wanted to say? All of the questions that had been looping through her brain all morning were suddenly gone.

“A mistake?” Ed said.

“Is that what you think it was?” Winry asked, her heart dropping into her stomach.

“Oh come on,” Ed said, looking up, “that’s not fair.”

“What’s not fair?”

“You can’t ask me the same question because you don’t want to answer it!”

“I didn’t say I didn’t want to answer it!” 

“But you didn’t answer it.”

“You were the one who asked if it was a mistake which implies that you think it was a mistake!” she exclaimed. Of course this would turn into a fight. Everything always did.

“Well I don’t!” Ed shot back.

“You don’t what, Ed?!”

“I don’t think it was a mistake!” 

Winry had been ready to fire something back, but closed her mouth after hearing his answer. He looked decisively away from her as her heart started to pick up speed.

“Do you?” Ed asked, his eyes looking everywhere but at her face.

“No!” Winry said too loudly. She took a breath. “No, I don’t.”

“Well…” Ed started looking down at his hands. “Okay then.”

“Right.” Winry crossed her arms over her chest, trying to look confident instead of giving herself away as being absolutely unsure and nervous. They fell into what could only be described as the most awkward silence Winry had ever experienced in her entire life. She had so many questions, but had no idea how to articulate any of them.

Ed took a breath and looked up. "Can I-" He stopped short, looking back down at his hands.

"Can you what?" Winry asked.

"Can I..." he started again. "Can I kiss you...again?"

Winry suddenly felt slightly lightheaded and warm. She hoped her voice wasn't shaking when she said "Yes".

Ed inched closer to her until he was right in front of her, staring into her face. Winry felt herself getting warmer as the seconds dragged on and knew the blush on his cheeks matched the one on hers.

His hand came to rest under her chin, tilting it slightly upward as he leaned in. Winry felt like her heart was about to explode out of her chest as Ed closed the small distance between them.

Last night's kiss had been a crazy whirlwind of desperation and confusion. This was so much different. This kiss was deep and steady and sure. Everything Winry was worried about was gone and she was left with Ed, knowing this was where she was supposed to be.

When they finally broke apart, they both just stared into each other's eyes, Ed not moving his hand from under her chin, and Winry almost hoped this moment would never end.

"So," Ed almost whispered, "um, that didn't suck."

Winry breathed out a laugh. "No, no it didn't."

Ed smiled, finally taking his hand from under her chin to tuck a piece of her hair behind her ear. Winry could've died then and there and been happy to do so. But she had to ask.

"So," Winry said, "what does this mean?"

Ed breathed out, moving back to lean against the wall. "I don't know."

Winry scooted over and leaned against the wall next to him. "I mean...do you...want to be with me?"

Ed turned away from her before he answered, "Yes."

Winry smiled. "Can't look at me when you say that?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because I am way too nervous about it."

Winry laughed. "Well, if it helps, I...want to be with you too."

Ed turned back to her, breathing out what sounded like a sigh of relief. "Okay. That's...good. Glad to be on the same page."

"That's always a good thing."

Ed suddenly dropped his head into his hands. "This is so weird."

"What? Wanting to be with me?"

"No," Ed said looking up quickly. "But...also yes. But not! I don't mean that it's weird to be with YOU because it's not, like you're great but also you're...you!"

Winry just stared at him, letting him talk in circles trying to not make her mad, but her smile kept growing until she finally cut him off. "Ed, I get you. It's okay. I think it's weird too."

Ed took a breath. "Really?"

"Well, yes, but that is because it's weird to be with you."

Ed laughed. "Gee, thanks."

He let his hand fall next to hers on the bed and the sudden contact sent shivers up Winry's spine. In a moment of bravery, she reached over and drew circles in his palm. 

"So do I call you, like, my girlfriend or something?" Ed asked.

"Wow, you're so romantic."

"Sorry," Ed chuckled. "I don't know how to do this." He intertwined his fingers with hers.

"I don't know, we can just..." Winry looked at him just as he looked at her. "Be together?"

"Works for me," Ed said with a shrug. 

She squeezed his hand, leaned across, and kissed him. It took her a minute to open her eyes when she finally pulled away.

"Is it weird that I don't find kissing you weird?" Winry practically whispered.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

Notes:

if i was better at planning i would've posted this on 503 but that is just not who i am as a person

chapter title: 'dance with me' by beabadoobee

Chapter 29: who has to know?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The rest of the weekend went by in a whirlwind of the loveliest state of confusion. Ed and Winry had spent it doing what they had always done before: sitting around, playing cards, and arguing. Now, though, the sitting around involved occasionally holding hands when Pinako wasn't looking, a lot more physical contact while playing games, and Ed cutting off every argument by kissing Winry when they were alone.

"You know, you can't settle every argument like that forever," Winry had said every time as her face burned.

"It works though, doesn't it?" Ed always answered.

Now, Winry sat in Ed's car as he gave her a ride to school on Monday morning. Ed had a study hall, so Winry skipped her first class to try and stay in their bubble away from the world for a bit longer. She thought it was a good idea until she got in the car.

"I should've just walked," Winry grumbled from the passenger seat. "I think I had a less chance of dying."

"Hey, you can't make fun of my driving now," Ed responded.

"Why, because now we kiss?!" Winry exclaimed. "How does that make any sense?!"

"You're supposed to like everything I do now." He reached across and poked her cheek, which caused her to roll her eyes.

"That is ridiculous and impossible," she said as they pulled up in front of Central.

"Aw, thanks," Ed said, parking the car.

As much as she wanted to get as far away from Ed's driving as possible, Winry didn't want to leave the car and have to navigate her and Ed's new relationship in the real world. She wanted to stay in their world that they had built themselves while they were together.

"So," Winry said, "two more weeks of lockdown?"

"Two more weeks," Ed said. "Then I'm free to leave campus whenever."

"That suddenly seems like a long time."

"Why, do you like me or something?"

Winry shoved him. "You're so annoying."

"For what it's worth," Ed said, "it does feel like an eternity."

"I guess we'll...talk then?" Winry asked. "I mean, we'll talk before then but about like...dating?" Winry groaned and dropped her head in her hands. "I don't know how to do this with you."

"Me neither."

"What do we even tell people?"

"I don't know, my brain hasn't gotten that far. We could just wait until someone asks?"

"I guess the chances of that are good. At least on my side."

"Really?" Ed raised an eyebrow. "Have you been talking about me?"

"Oh shut up," Winry said picking her backpack off the floor as she felt herself blush.

"How long have you been pining for me?"

"I said shut up!"

"So you admit it!"

"I'm LEAVING NOW," Winry opened the car door.

"Wait." Ed leaned across and grabbed her hand. She sat back down with narrowed eyes and what she could only imagine were red cheeks. 

He looked down at their hands. "Can I kiss you before you go?"

Winry couldn't help but smile. "Are you ever going to look at me when you ask?"

"Probably not."

Winry bent her head down until she could force Ed to look at her, then she leaned up and kissed him. She eventually had to force herself away, otherwise she would have stayed there for hours.

"I'll see you in two weeks?" she said.

"Yeah," he almost whispered. "See you." 

She pulled herself out of the car and shut the door without looking back. She only allowed herself to turn around when she got closer to the door and was happy to see that Ed had waited. He awkwardly waved, making her smile and wave back before he pulled away and she went inside.

Winry was practically beaming as she walked down the hallway toward her locker. She tried to keep herself from immediately pulling out her phone and texting him, knowing he was still in the car and didn't want to tempt him.

Winry stayed up on cloud nine until she reached her locker which was being blocked by a smirking face.

"There you are," Paninya said. "I thought you died."

"I could say the same to you!" Winry shot back. "Thanks for answering my messages this weekend."

Paninya just shrugged and moved out of Winry's way. "Sorry, lost my phone."

"Weird that you found it in time to respond to me this morning when I said to go without me," Winry said opening her locker door. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Shouldn't YOU?" Paninya poked. "I said I wasn't feeling well and I wanted to go to the nurse."

"Clever."

"Sooooo," Paninya drew out. "How was your weekend?"

"Good." Winry hoped and prayed nothing would show on her face. She still hadn't figured out what to say.

"Good or," Paninya waggled her eyebrows, "really good?"

"What does that mean?" Winry dodged.

"You know exactly what it means."

"I don't actually."

"Yes you do!" Paninya exclaimed and Winry knew that something had shown on her face. "Something happened didn't it?!"

Winry just shut her locker. "I need to get to class."

"There are still a few minutes before the bell, you don't need to go anywhere." Paninya was practically bouncing with excitement as she cut Winry off. "Tell me everything, what happened, how did it happen, what does this mean now."

"Can't we talk about this later?" Winry groaned. 

"No, I must know everything now. Did you or did you not hook up with Ed?"

Winry fidgeted with her hands. "Well...define 'hooking up'."

Paninya practically shrieked and Winry prayed that no one came up wondering what was going on as Paninya jumped up and down. "I knew it," Paninya said. "I knew something was going to happen, I told you so, oh my god, I need all the details."

"Those I can give you later," Winry said as she started to walk. 

"What does this mean though?" Paninya asked, catching up. "Are you guys dating? Is Edward Elric actually your boyfriend?"

"I mean, we're together, so take that how you will." Winry tried to say this casually but her smile was definitely not.

"You're so happy aren't you?" Paninya said. "Wow, I can't believe it. I mean, Al's going to be mad about his money but-"

Both Winry and Paninya stopped walking just as the bell rang and people started to flood the hallways. Winry slowly turned as she processed what Paninya had said and Paninya looked like she was willingly herself to be swallowed by the earth.

"What does any of this have to do with Al's money?" Winry asked, trying to be calm.

"Wow, look at the time," Paninya said. "I have a test next period, so I should probably-"

"Don't you dare!" Winry grabbed Paninya's arm before she could disappear into the crowd. She pulled her over to the hallway wall. "What did you guys do?"

Paninya exhaled. "Well, I am not part of it, BUT there may or may not be some kind of bet between Al and May about whether or not you and Ed end up together. And there may or may not also be one between Lan Fan and Ling after they found out about Al and May's."

"And when did this happen?"

"Al and May a while ago. Lan Fan and Ling just before this weekend."

"So no one answering us all weekend-"

"Yeah that was coordinated."

Winry just stared at Paninya, who was visibly bracing for an assault. There were so many thoughts going through Winry's head at once, none of which she could get a firm grasp on. There was a chance she went through every emotion possible.

Then, suddenly, she started laughing. Without really knowing why, Winry was doubled over, holding her stomach and laughing so hard tears were in her eyes. She knew Paninya and everyone around her was staring, but she didn't care. She couldn't stop. 

"So I knew you had lost it when you said you loved Ed," Paninya finally said. "But now you've actually truly lost it."

Winry tried to speak. "No, it's just," she managed through wheezes. "Everyone knew!"

"What?"

"I mean, everyone knew about me and Ed, EXCEPT me and Ed! We're the only ones who are surprised!"

"I mean...yes, that's true," Paninya admitted. "Is it really that funny though?"

"YES!" Winry exclaimed, still laughing.

"Alright, well," Paninya said as the halls started to clear, "we should actually get going and, on the way, I can let everyone know that you've officially gone off the deep end."

"Wait!" Winry finally straightened and stopped laughing. A thought had just crossed her mind. "Don't tell anyone."

"I'm sorry?"

"Don't tell anyone about me and Ed."

Paninya raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Well, me and Ed were already not really sure what to tell people," Winry explained, "and now that I know everyone expected this to happen and even made bets on it, I don't know, it might be fun to just...not tell anyone for a while."

"Wow," Paninya said. "I didn't know you could be so devious."

"Ed's already had a bad influence on me," Winry said with a shrug. "This means you can't tell anyone though. That we're together or that we know about this whole...bet thing going on."

"Sure, but you realize this is the plot of a Friends episode, right?" Paninya said as they finally started walking.    

"What?"

"This is literally an episode of Friends where Monica and Chandler are together and Joey knows and then Phoebe and Rachel find out but they all pretend they don't know that the other knows with Joey as the go between and it totally stressed Joey out."

Winry stopped walking again to stare at Paninya. "I can't believe you know that much about Friends."

"Winry," Paninya said, "I lost BOTH legs. Do you know how much time I spent watching TV while recovering?"

"Fair. But this won't stress you out." 

"Of course not, this is going to be way too much fun," Paninya answered as they both took off running because now the halls were empty and the ball had rung.

***

W: So don't freak out.

E: i think thats the single worst thing u could say 2 some1 to get them not to freak out

W: I realize that, but I don't know how else to start this conversation

E: ur making it so much worse

W: I know so just promise you won't freak out and let me tell you what I have to tell you!

E: ok

E: i promise

W: Okay I know you're lying but thank you.

W: Have you seen Al yet today? Or Ling? Or Lan Fan? Or May

E: no.......y?

W: So it turns out that all of our friends have been plotting behind our backs.

E: wut does that mean

W: It means that Al and May have had a bet for months about whether or not we'll get together and Ling and Lan Fan started one this weekend and I guess they all plotted together to not answer either of us to like...force something

E: im gonna fucking kill them

W: Wait don't you promised!

E: and u knew i was lying so i have some hunting to do

W: OR

E: or wut?

W: Or we just don't tell anyone for a bit?

E: ??

W: I mean we didn't know what or how to tell people anyway and since everyone would just get too much self-gratification out of this maybe we just...don't say anything

E: ur just ashamed of me arent u

W: Duh

W: :)

E: yeh set myself up for that one

E: but pan knos right?

W: Yeah, how else do you think I got all this info? Telepathy?

E: i mean if any1 would have it

W: Thanks?

W: But yes Pan knows. You can probably expect a text from her by the way

E: joy

W: She won't tell though. She thinks it'll be fun to watch everyone's confusion.

E: so someone is still getting gratification out of this

W: Okay but who's worse, Paninya or Al and Ling?

E: .....point

E: so i dont get to shout from the rooftops that were together?

W: Were you going to?

E: a little bit yeh

W: You're a lot smoother over text you know

E: im aware

W: I mean you can if you want to

E: maybe later i like this plan rite now

E: itll be fun to torture al for a bit

W: Such a lovely relationship you guys have

***

Unknown number: if you do anything and i mean ANYTHING to hurt her again i will cut your other leg AND your balls off

E: assuming this is paninya how did u get my number

UN: u don't think i've had your number saved for forever for this very moment? 

UN: i can't believe you don't have MY number

E: y would i want that

UN: BITE ME ELRIC

Notes:

wow.....WOOOOOW i ghosted so hard i'm so sorry i have been very burnt out from other parts of life and unfortunately i had caught up to where i had written with the last chapter. BUT I'M BACK! WITH MOTIVATION! and have given you a longer chapter to make up for the ghosting lol

thank you to everyone who has been reading and leaving kudos and commenting in the meantime - it means a lot <3 and before you say anything yes i DID just quote the all american rejects and (probably) expose how old i am in the title because cmon how could i not

 

chapter title: 'dirty little secret' by the all american rejects

Chapter 30: sorry i'm an anti-romantic

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed took his time going back to his room after his last class. He knew Al was already there and probably waiting for him to ask about his weekend. Now that he knew about everyone's side bets, though, Ed wasn't in any rush. He had already dodged Lan Fan and Ling all day and he hoped the suspense was killing all of them.

Part of him was also happy they weren't telling anyone just yet. He was partially afraid that if other people knew, something would change in his and Winry's relationship, mostly that she would come to her senses and realize she didn't actually like him. Ed tried not to think about that happening; the thought was scary. He didn't want to lose her or their relationship again. It had barely started and it already meant too much to him.

When Ed finally opened the door to his room, he caught Al almost jump up in his bed. Clearly Ed was right about him waiting.

"Hey," Ed said casually, throwing his backpack on the floor.

"Hey," Al answered. "How was the weekend?"

Ed shrugged. "Fine, I guess. Kind of lonely since someone decided to just drop off the face of the earth."

"Couldn't find my phone," Al answered with a glance up at the ceiling.

"That's convenient," Ed said, flopping down in his bed.

"So..." Al couldn't let the silence even last for a second. Ed had to bite his cheek to keep himself from grinning. "Spend any time with Winry?"

"I mean, she lives there so, yeah it was kind of inevitable."

"What'd you guys do?"

"What we always do," Ed responded with another shrug. "Played cards, she bugged me about my leg, Pinako threw her pipe at me-"

"Wait, did she actually?" It seemed like Ed was able to distract Al from what he was really trying to find out.

"Well," Ed said, "she claims she didn't but it was in my direction and I had just yelled 'fuck' in an argument with Winry so it's likely."

"You argued?" And he was back on topic. 

Ed raised an eyebrow. "We always argue. Why is that weird?"

Al blinked. "It's not, it's just...it's not."

"Something wrong?" Ed was glad Winry had suggested this; he was actually probably enjoying this too much.

Al looked away, shaking his head quickly. "No, nothing." Ed casually looked over and was pleased to see Al looked deeply confused. The self-satisfaction Ed felt threatened to completely boil over. 

Al suddenly pulled his phone out of his pocket and got up, heading for the door. "I'll be right back."

Ed waited about 10 minutes until after Al left before he pulled his phone out and scrolled through his contacts. His face practically hurt from how hard he was grinning as the phone rang.

"Hello?" Winry said.

"Do you think a person could submit themself for an Oscar for an in-real-life performance?"

Winry laughed. "Probably not but you could give it a try."

"Heard anything from anyone else?"

"Surprisingly, Lan Fan was the first to ask," Winry said. "I thought for sure it would be May, but I guess she thought that might be pushy. Seems like you completely ignored her when you were in class."

"Yeah, her and Ling. Have you answered them?"

"Not yet. Letting them wait a bit. Paninya's putting on a show though."

"Good. Al just ran out the door, probably to find May and be confused."

"You sound like you're having fun," Winry said. 

"Oh, I am," Ed admitted. "This was a great plan."

"I guess it makes up for the fact you don't get to shout from the rooftops?"

"Only a little."

"You really are much smoother over the phone."

"I'll try to work on that by the time I see you next."

"You think two weeks is going to be enough time?" Winry asked. 

"I guess we'll find out."

***

TO: Girl Gang Squad

LF: Okay so what happened?

P: right?! i'm dyyyying over here

LF: Winry ignored you too?!

P: i had detention during lunch, i haven't seen her yet

LF: Oh, cause Ed just completely blew past me earlier

P: so weird 

M: did nothing happen?

W: OMG hi everyone???

P: YOU MAKE US WAIT AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS HI???

W: I know I'm sorry I got caught with a client

W: But nothing happened

LF: Seriously?!

W: Yeah it was just a regular weekend of Ed home

P: he's so duuuuumb 

LF; Seriously I can't believe nothing happened

M: did he say anything that might be weird?

W: Nothing that sticks out as him being in love with me

LF: How is that possible? 

M: i mean this doesn't mean he's not, it just means maybe he doesn't know

LF: Or he knows and is just too much of a wimp to make a move

M: That too

P: can i slap him? that might help

W: Please don't assault anyone

***

"How is this possible?" May asked. Al had immediately gone to find her and read over her shoulder as she texted everyone else. "I was so sure."

"So was I," Al said with a shrug. "We all were. But maybe Lan Fan is right and he just was too nervous."

May sighed. "I guess that's fair. He doesn't seem like the type to be very smooth in person. Especially when we saw him falling apart the other day."

"I guess I get to keep my money for a bit longer."

"Don't get used to it there!" May exclaimed. "I know I'm going to win this!"

Al shrugged. "I don't know. The way things are going..."

May shoved him, which made Al laugh and butterflies dance in his stomach.

"Admit it, you're actually disappointed nothing happened," May teased.

"Okay fine I am," Al said. "It would probably make my life easier if they just got together."

"Exactly," May said, crossing her arms in triumph. "So now we can think of another way to force Ed to realize."

"Sounds good," Al said with a smile.

Notes:

i think devious/in-love ed might be my favorite to write

chapter title: 'anti romantic' by tomorrow x together

Chapter 31: like i've been there before

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

E: one more week

W: I just pictured you crossing out days on a calendar like in a sitcom or something

E: who said im not

W: All of the knowledge I have about you

E: fair. but confinement can bring out the worst in people

W: There's a worse side to you?

E: WOW

E: and here i thought u liked me

W: You know I'm kidding

W: Who would we be if we didn't make fun of each other?

E: haha tru

E: cant believe people still haven't caught on to us

W: Me too actually, especially with how much you call me

E: i dont call THAT much

W: Sure, Jan

E: fine i wont call anymore

W: I'm not saying I don't like it!

E: thats what i thought

***

Ed was practically counting down the hours by the time it go to Wednesday of the following week. His sentence was almost over. He'd finally be able to leave campus whenever he wanted and free to be with Winry. They had already decided to do something on that Saturday, but not exactly what, especially since everyone was still clueless. 

They were both still enjoying the fact that no one (except Paninya) knew, and Paninya seemed to also be enjoying the performance. Ed was actually impressed and slightly scared; Paninya was a very good liar.

He was sitting in the cafeteria, trying to distract himself from looking at the clock and at his phone by actually doing some TA work, when a brown bag dropped in front of his papers. He looked up and saw Ling sit across from him, chewing on fries from a matching bag.

"What's this for?" Ed asked.

"Three for two deal," Ling answered. "I already gave Lan Fan hers."

Ed raised an eyebrow but reached across and grabbed the bag. "Thanks."

"Sure."

Ed started to eat, continuing to grade labs while he and Ling sat in silence. 

"So when did you and Winry start going out?"

Ed had to force himself not to choke on his fries. He tried to subtly clear his throat as he looked up at Ling. "What?"

"When did you and Winry start going out?" Ling repeated, staring intently at Ed but with no change in his voice.

"Who said that?" Ed asked.

"No one. It's just obvious."

"How?"

"So you are then?"

"I didn't say that," Ed snapped.

"Your phone is glued to your hand even more than before, you're also talking on it which is unusual, you're squirrelly about making plans for your first weekend of freedom, and before you left for your weekend home you were clearly in love and now you're too casual."

Ed just stared at Ling with narrowed eyes while Ling looked back with wide ones. They both knew, though, who would break first.

"You're so fucking creepy, you know that?" Ed grumbled.

"I'm observant," Ling said leaning back in his chair with the smile of someone who had won.

"Have you told anyone?"

"Nope."

Ed raised an eyebrow. "Not even Lan Fan?"

"Especially not Lan Fan. I would owe her $50."

"Asshole."

"You know yourself you're not exactly the smoothest," Ling shrugged, reaching into his bag for more fries.

"Ass. Hole." Ed repeated.

"So it was that weekend you went home then?" Ling ignored him.

"Fine!" Ed relented throwing his hands up. "Yes! It was! Happy?"

"I've told you before," Ling said. "Your happiness is my happiness. I'm assuming Paninya spilled about the bets and that's why you're not telling anyone?"

"Fuck yes that's why. You're all bastards."

"Look," Ling sighed, "if you two were going to take so long to get your act together-"

"You're one to talk!"

"-then we were going to at least make the wait fun for us," Ling continued as if Ed hadn't said anything. 

"You all fucking suck."

"So what does this mean?" Ling asked, again acting as if Ed hadn't spoken. 

"What do you mean? We're together," Ed said with a shrug.

"Is she your girlfriend then?"

"I...I don't know," Ed said with a sigh. "She's...Winry, okay? And we're together!"

How was he supposed to explain? How could he describe how much she meant to him and how calling her his girlfriend didn't seem like enough? She was his person, and he hoped that he was hers.

Ling was giving him an interesting look as Ed sat and tried to think of what to say. Before he could figure something out, though, Ling raised his hand.

"I get it," Ling said. "Seriously." And Ed believed it.

Ed sat back in his chair. "So when do you plan on telling everyone?"

Ling raised an eyebrow. "Who said I was going to?"

"You're really not going to?"

"Nope," Ling said, popping a fry in his mouth.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

Ed narrowed his eyes. "Why not? And if you say this is about your money-"

"It's not," Ling cut it off. "I'm just not going to tell."

Ed blinked. He was surprised and not surprised at the same time about this. Neither of them would ever admit to it, but Ed and Ling knew they'd always have each other's backs. Ed knew he said it as a joke, but Ling wasn't totally lying when he said Ed's happiness was Ling's. The feeling was mutual, and the sappiness of the thought made Ed want to barf.

Instead of any type of thanks which would be out of place in their relationship for a moment like this, Ed decided on saying "You know Lan Fan's going to kill you when she finds out you knew."

"Will you cry at my funeral?"

"Out of happiness maybe."

"Don't worry," Ling said, stealing fries from Ed's bag, "I'll make sure to haunt you."

Notes:

i mentioned 'friends' in a previous chapter so obviously had to quote the theme song for this chapter

chapter title: 'i'll be there for you' - the rembrandts

Chapter 32: honest, let's make this night last forever

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"So you and Ling are going out?"

"Yep."

"Just you two."

"Yep."

"To hang."

"Yep."

"No Lan Fan?"

"Nope."

"Huh."

Something was up. Ed's first day of being able to leave campus and he was just going out with Ling? Al knew they were best friends (whether they admitted it or not) but this seemed weird.

"What?" Ed said which made Al realize that he had finally looked up from his phone.

"What, what?" Al answered.

"I can hear your brain working overtime from over here," Ed said. "It's really not anything to think too hard about. I'm going out with Ling to a bar that doesn't card. We've been before. No one ever believes that Lan Fan is over 21 because she looks like a child so she doesn't come."

"She wouldn't just be able to sneak in through a window?" 

"She has before," Ed answered with a shrug, "but it's a pain and she doesn't feel like putting in the effort for a shitty beer."

"Huh," Al just said in response. It made sense. It was a logical answer and a logical plan. Still, something seemed weird. Ed looked a little bit too put together just to go get a bad beer at a bad bar.

"Oh my god, what?!" Ed said. 

"Nothing!" Al said.

"I promise you, there is nothing weird about this," Ed said with an eye roll. "We've done it before, you can ask Lan Fan about it if you're so weirded out."

"I'm not weirded out by it," Al lied.

"Look, usually Ling asks to go out when something's up with his dad, okay? He gets drunk then talks about it. That's it."

Al shrugged. "Okay."

Ed gave him a shifty look. Al knew Ed wasn't convinced that he still wasn't weirded out. Which he was, but there wasn't too much he could say in response now. Something in his gut was telling him that wasn't the full story.

His thoughts were cut off my a knock on the door, which Ed answered (a little too quickly maybe?).

"Hello sir," Ling said with a bow. "Your date is here."

"Oh for fuck's sake." Even though he couldn't see it, Al could hear the eye roll in his voice.

Ling poked his head around Ed to talk to Al. "I'll make sure to have him back by 11."

"Make sure you do," Al said. "We don't want him getting into trouble again."

"You both fucking suck," Ed grumbled as he pushed past Ling to walk out.

"See you later," Ling said with a salute, which Al returned as Ling closed the door.

***

Ed was trying to act cool while he sat in the passenger seat of Ling's car, but he couldn't help but drum his fingers on his phone as they drove. Everything had been planned quickly, but planned well: Ling and Ed would drive to the drive-in theater that Ling somehow knew about 20 minutes away from school where Paninya and Winry would meet them then Ed would watch the movie in Winry's car while Paninya sat in Ling's, Ling would then drive both of them back to school. No one else would be the wiser. Nothing to be nervous about.

Except Ed was. He was very, very nervous. He tried to tell himself this was no different than the millions of times they had hung out before, but he knew that wasn't true. This was a date. A date with Winry. A first date with Winry. Ed felt dizzy.

"You know," Ling said, "I think you should freak out a little more. It seems like you aren't enough."

"Bite me."

"No seriously, the nervous energy in here isn't thick enough."

"No seriously, fucking bite me."

Ed didn't have to look at Ling to know he was smirking. "You're going to be fine."

Ed almost snorted. "Are you seriously giving me dating advice right now?"

"Just saying," Ling answered with a shrug as he pulled into the line of cars waiting to show their tickets. 

"I can't believe my first date with Winry is happening with you here," Ed grumbled.

"How else were you going to get out of school undetected? If it wasn't for me, you and Winry would've ended up in the school parking lot."

"I hate you."

"You're welcome." 

Ling flashed his phone to the attendant and drove slowly in. Every line of cars they passed made the butterflies in Ed's stomach zoom around faster.

"They're in the 12th row," Ed said, his mouth completely dry.

"I see them," Ling answered, pointing as he turned into the row.

Even from a distance, Ed could see Paninya starfished on the ground next to Winry's car. Winry was leaning against it, but straightened when she saw Ling's car. The wind caught her long hair, blowing it past her face with the setting sun catching the highlights. Ed wanted to throw up.

He decided to deflect his nervousness by leaning out of the window as they pulled up. "Stay there, Paninya, we'll run you over."

"Has anyone ever told you how funny you are?" Paninya responded as Winry helped pull her to her feet.

"I tell him all the time," Ling yelled as he pulled into the spot. 

Ed tried to steady his breathing as Ling parked. He could feel his fingers trembling as he reached for the door handle and pulled it open, stepping out of the car and immediately shoving his hands in his pockets.

Ed looked up at Winry who was standing with her hands behind her back. "Hey," he managed to say, trying his best to stay calm.

"Hi," she answered.

"Where's the food?" Ed wasn't sure if Ling did that to intentionally break the tension, but he was grateful for it.

"I'll take you!" Paninya said. "You are my date for the evening, after all."

"I'm honored," Ling said, offering his arm which Paninya took as they strolled off.

"I think she's happy not being the only one to know," Winry said with a laugh.

"We might regret it though," Ed answered with a smile.

"You don't already? I'm surprised."

"You have no idea."

Winry smiled. Ed couldn't resist getting closer. "So, can I kiss you hello?"

"You don't need to ask every time, you know," Winry said as Ed brought his hands to either side of her face.

"Noted," Ed responded, leaning forward to kiss her. 

Ed had been thinking about kissing Winry for two weeks, but nothing he had thought of compared to the actual feeling of her lips on his. As she brought her hands to rest on his waist, Ed wondered if he could stay in that moment for hours. Too soon, though, they broke apart.

"Hi," Ed said with a smile.

Winry giggled. "Hey. How does freedom feel?"

"Fucking amazing."

Winry giggled again. Ed tried to memorize the sound of it. "I'm glad," Winry said. 

"So," Ed turned toward the screen putting his arm around Winry's shoulder, "what are we seeing?"

"Ferris Bueller."

"Oh, cool, I've never seen it."

Winry rolled her eyes. "How does that not surprise me?"

"Sorry I'm out of the loop," Ed said with a shrug. 

"Miles out of the loop," Winry said. "The movie came out in like the 80's."

"Well, I wasn't alive then so I think it's fair."

"You're so annoying."

"Thanks," Ed answered. "Do you want to get food or something?"

"I've got snacks in the car."

"Smart move not telling Ling, he would've taken them."

"I also wanted to get rid of them," Winry said, moving to her car and opening her door. "We can sit in the car until it gets dark, they won't start the movie until then."

"Cool." Ed shoved his hands in his pockets as he went over to the passenger side. So far so good.

"Geez," Winry said, looking out her window to Ling, Paninya, and their mountain of food. "Did they buy out the whole truck?"

"I wouldn't put it past him to do that," Ed answered, tipping his seat back.

"Well," Winry reached into the back seat and pulled a shopping bag into her lap, "we've got Hot Cheetos so who really wins this one?"

"You really are the perfect woman." Ed said, pulling the cheetos bag out.

"Glad you've finally noticed."

"Can all of our dates have Hot Cheetos?" Ed asked.

Winry laughed. "I'll see what I can do."

"So," Ed said, brushing the cheetos dust off of his fingers, "how long do you think we should keep this  up?"

"What?" Winry asked, grabbing cheetos from the bag.

"This whole 'we're not dating' thing with everyone."

"I don't know," Winry said with a shrug. "I'm having fun with it though."

"Yeah, I didn't hate having to lie to Al today," Ed said, "although I don't know if he was totally convinced."

"He's too smart for his own good," Winry replied, "and so are you, for that matter."

"Aw," Ed said, leaning up to kiss her cheek, "thanks."

"Hey!" They both turned at Paninya's yell. Both her and Ling were sitting on the top of Ling's car. "No PDA please!"

"Can you not?!" Winry yelled back, her cheeks turning red. 

"What's the point of us being chaperones then?" Ling answered.

"Yeah, definitely regret this," Ed grumbled.

"Next time we'll leave them at home," Winry agreed.

The rest of the night passed by too quickly as Ed spent it in a blissful cloud with Winry. Even when the sky got dark and the movie started, they stayed in her car eating snacks, talking, laughing. They only let go of each other's hands to grab more food and luckily it got too dark for Paninya and Ling to see them kiss. 

By the time the night was over, Ed could confidently say he had still never seen Ferris Bueller.

Notes:

SORRY FOR GHOSTING AGAIN i've been dealing with an injury and the most SEVERE case of writer's block i think i've ever had. hopefully this long chapter makes up for it thank you to everyone who's left comments, kudos, and has read in the meantime it is seriously appreciated <3

chapter title: 'first date' by blink-182

Chapter 33: every game you play

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"So you've noticed something weird has been going on too, right?" Lan Fan started off before any of them had actually sat down. She had called Al, May, and Ling to an 'emergency meeting' for lunch that Tuesday, knowing that Ed would be in Mustang's office helping with a sophomore lab.

"Yeah, something's not right," Al agreed. "And by something I mean that Ed has been too...normal."

"There's nothing normal about him," Ling pointed out.

"No, I mean that for weeks he was all over his phone and weirdly smiling but also jumpy whenever anyone mentioned Winry and just - "

"Acting like he was in love," May finished.

"Exactly! But now he's suddenly just back to normal. Like how he used to be with Winry," Al said.

"I still wouldn't say he's totally back to normal," Ling said. "He's still on his phone much more than he used to be though."

"But he was like that before the party, wasn't he?" May asked. "Then after the party, he was head over heels. And then he went home and suddenly it's all normal again."

"Pan has been saying the same thing about Winry," Lan Fan added. "Same timeline too."

"Maybe something did happen, just not what we think," Al offered. He hadn't thought of it until they all started talking and laying it out, but suddenly he could only come to one logical conclusion.

"Which is?" Ling asked.

"Maybe they talked about it all and realized they were better as friends."

Lan Fan groaned. "God, can you imagine? That would be so annoying."

"Is that something Ed would do though?" May asked. "Actually talk about something?"

"Ed? No," Al admitted. "Winry though? Definitely. If something's driving her nuts, she's definitely the type to force everyone to get it out. She's done it plenty of times before."

"Wouldn't they have said something, though?" Ling asked. "Like 'hey we were both in love but now we're just friends.'"

"They probably just wouldn't think it's a big deal," Al said.

May pouted. "That would be so anti-climatic."

Al had to agree. Not only would it be anti-climatic, but the wrong move on both of their parts in his opinion. They were clearly supposed to be together; it was obvious to everyone. Or everyone but them, it seemed. As a brother and fried, Al didn't want them to miss an opportunity at happiness. Both of them deserved that much.

"Did he say anything to you when you went out the other night?" May asked Ling.

Ling shook his head as he brushed crumbs from his shirt. "I did my best. That was my whole plan, anyway, to try and get him to admit something. He was just kept dodging things."

"It's because you didn't get him drunk enough," Lan Fan said with narrowed eyes.

"Not my fault one of the school security guards showed up at the bar an hour after we got there," Ling said with a shrug. "We barely got away without being noticed. Maybe if someone with a particular set of skills had come in through the back window..."

"Can you guys stop flirting for a second and focus?" May said with an eye roll. "The question now is how do we get them to tell us what happened?"

"Ed's a closed book," Al said. "If you confront him about things, especially like this, he'll just get defensive and yell." 

"What would you do as a scientist?" Ling asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

Al paused. He hadn't thought of it like that before. This was, after all, some kind of weird case study on human nature and attraction. If this was an actual scientific study, and Ed and Winry were nothing more than subjects in it, how would he approach confirming a hypothesis?

"I would do some kind of observation," Al said finally. "Put them both together in a controlled environment and see how they react to each other in person."

"We could do a family dinner," Lan Fan suggested. "Then we could all be there together."

"There would be too many variables I think," May said. "They could easily avoid any kind of direct interaction by just deflecting to someone else. Plus, with all of us, they'd be much less likely to act on something."

"I agree," Al said with a nod. "I think it would also be best to have them in a space they both are comfortable in."

"Good point, Alphonse," May agreed. 

"Who says love and science can't go together?" Ling said, winking at May. She rolled her eyes. Al wasn't sure whether he was talking about Ed and Winry or him and May. Either way, he could feel his ears turn pink.

"So I guess the question is," Lan Fan said, "how do we get all of those things together?"

May suddenly put a hand on Al's shoulder, making his stomach feel like it was full of static. "Aren't you guys going home for spring break next week?"

Al turned to her. "You're right! A comfortable environment, minimal people-"

"By George, I think they've got it!" Ling exclaimed.

"Do you take anything seriously?" May said with a glare. 

"Can we trust your findings though?" Lan Fan asked. "Don't you have money on the line?"

"I'd never fudge science for my own benefit," Al answered.

"Spoken like a true scientist," May said. Without looking at each other, Al and May high-fived, which they had gotten into the habit of doing. It made his cheeks warm, the idea that him and May were so in sync. 

"I think I'm going to throw up," Ling said, "but at least there's a plan now."

"I'll fill Paninya in," Lan Fan said. "We can do the same radio silence that we did when Ed was home a few weeks ago."

"Good work, team," Ling said. "This has been very productive."

"You say that as if you actually did anything," May said.

"I was the moral support," Ling put a hand on his chest in a dignified sort of way, "which I think is the most important part."

***

L: FYI you are now a scientific experiment.

E: tf does that mean

L: Everyone has noticed you and Winry are being weird so now Al is going to observe the two of you during spring break

E: this has now become stalking

L: Is this not how you look at Mustang and Hawkeye?

E: NOT AT ALL YOU FUCKER

L: And after I went out of my way to warn you...

E: yahyah thnx for the heads up

L: You've got 10 days to figure out how to be normal around Winry. Good luck.

E: u have 2 hrs before i kill u

L: ;)

Notes:

this chapter might be stupid oh well sorry about it but WE GOTTA GET PLACES IN THE STORY

chapter title: 'every breath you take' - the police

Chapter 34: when you're close up

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Winry never thought she'd be one of those people who drives to a park to sit in her car and makeout with her boyfriend; it always seemed too much of a cliche. But here she was. Sitting in her car, making out with Ed.

To be fair, this isn't what she intended when she asked Ed if he wanted to drive around with her. She thought it would be an easy, casual date, and also wouldn't be hard to come up with an excuse for Ed to get away; he just told everyone he was going for a run, which wasn't a completely unusual thing for him to do. 

The park thing was also not planned. While they were driving, Ed had mentioned he was hungry so they stopped to get food and the park just made sense to go sit and eat. They just happened to keep sitting there after eating. Then sitting turned into kissing. Then kissing led to climbing into the backseat of her car. Which officially turned them into a cliche.

She wasn't too surprised by this development; the physical was really the only part of their relationship that was completely new territory. They had obviously gotten closer metaphorically speaking, but they had always had a close relationship even if they had never really admitted it. In that regards, now that they were together, there was nothing really new. 

The kissing though? That was brand new. Both of them knew it, too, which sometimes led to a break in their makeout session when one of them realized they were kissing each other and got embarrassed, which led to laughs from both parties for a minute.

It wasn't so weird, though, that Winry wanted to stop kissing him. After all (and somewhat surprisingly), Ed was a very, very good kisser. She was sure he could feel her heart racing as his lips moved against hers, his fingers ghosting up and down her arms and occasionally running through her hair when he dipped his mouth lower to nibble at her neck. She couldn't help but sigh, and she could feel his wicked smile as he trailed more kisses up to her jaw and back to her lips. 

Winry was so absorbed in the moment, in his touches, the taste of his mouth, the feeling of her hands on the back of his neck, that she didn't realize something was making a noise. But then the noise kept going. And going and going until finally she pulled herself away.

"Ed," she said breathlessly as he moved back down to her neck, "your phone is ringing."

"Ignore it," he grumbled against her skin.

She giggled, but pushed him off of her. "It keeps ringing, just pick it up."

Ed groaned but moved from hovering above her to sitting next to her, grabbing his phone from the front seat as he pushed his bangs away from his face. Winry couldn't help but giggle again at the state of his hair, stray pieces coming out of his ponytail, and knew that hers probably matched.

"Christ, what do you want?" Ed said, picking up his phone. Winry combed her fingers through her hair, still trying to catch her breath as Ed listened to whoever was on the other end.

"Yeah, I'm out of breath, I've been running," Ed said, his cheeks red. Winry bit her lip to keep herself from laughing.

"I ran to town to get food, is that a crime?" Ed rolled his eyes. "It has not been two hours."

At that, Winry grabbed her phone and finally looked at the time. Oh. Whoops.

She showed Ed the time on her phone. He looked and made a face. 

"Okay, maybe it has been two hours," Ed admitted. "Whatever, I haven't run in a while, I might've walked a bit."

He paused, listening. "Yeah, fine, I'll be back soon."

Ed hung up and groaned. "Al?" Winry guessed. Ed nodded.

"He was starting to get worried," Ed said, pulling the band out of his hair to retie it.

"Aw, sweet," Winry said. 

"I should probably go back," Ed said, turning to her.

She couldn't help but reach over and hold his face in her hands, kissing his forehead, then each cheek. "Yeah," she whispered, looking from his eyes to his lips, "probably."

She pressed a soft kiss to his lips, which pulled a groan out of him.

"How am I supposed to leave when you do that?" Ed asked. 

"I can stop if you want," Winry answered, pressing another kiss to his jaw.

"I don't WANT you to," Ed said as she finally pulled away.

"Sorry," Winry said innocently.

Ed laughed then sighed, turning to look at her. "This is so bizarre."

Winry nodded. "It is."

Ed groaned, covering his face with his hand while Winry laughed. "What?" she asked.

"I don't know," he said, still with his hands over his face. "Why do I feel embarrassed?"

Winry laughed again. "I don't know, but I get it."

Ed finally dropped his hands and looked at her. "Can we do this again before spring break? Before we become a science experiment?"

"I think that's a good idea," Winry nodded. "I still can't believe they're all so into us like this."

"It's fucking weird."

"Or nice," Winry shrugged, "depending on how you look at it."

"How could you look at it in a nice way?"

"Well, they're invested in us and our happiness maybe."

Ed rolled his eyes. "Or they're all just fucking nosy and creepy."

"Nothing I say will make you look at it differently, will it?"

Ed shrugged. "Probably not."

Winry sighed. "You are such a pain."

She watched as Ed slowly smirked and leaned closer to her. Her breath caught in her throat.

"Am I?" he whispered. He was centimeters away from her lips but didn't close the gap, choosing instead to brush his nose against hers and run his thumb along her jaw. She could feel the goosebumps on her skin.

Ed left his hand on her face but pulled away. "Yeah, I guess I am."

Winry pushed his hand off. "I actually hate you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," she snapped as she climbed into the driver's seat. "Now let's go so I can finally get rid of you."

Winry could hear Ed snickering softly as he went to follow her over the center console but she put her arm out. "No way. Go around."

"What?!" 

"Get out of the car and go around, you could break your leg climbing over."

"You weren't very concerned with my leg when we climbed back here," Ed shot back. 

Winry felt her face get hot. "Well, I was distracted but now I'm telling you to go around."

Ed rolled his eyes, mumbling under his breath as he got out of the car and walked to the passenger seat. He slammed the door and turned to her. "Happy?"

Winry gave him a quick kiss. "Yes, thank you."

Ed grumbled something as he crossed his arms over his chest but Winry was happy to notice his ears had gotten red.

Notes:

oooo so steeeeamy

chapter title: 'shivers' - ed sheeran

Chapter 35: where do we go from here

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

W: What in the hell did you do to my neck?

E: huh?

W: I have the darkest hickey I think I've ever seen

E: oh

E: shit

W: Uh huh

E: sorry?

W: I'm going to kill you

E: not like u were complaining :)

W: I'm going to KILL YOU

E: lol did pinako notice?

W: No, I managed to run out of the house without seeing her

E: wut r u gonna do?

W: I sent an emergency text to Paninya who then sent an emergency text to Rose who recommended a method she uses to cover her tattoo at school

E: rose has a tattoo?

W: Exactly

E: WAIT does she kno about us now????

W: No, Paninya said it was for her. She saw Rose the other day

E: barf

W: you better hope this is gone by break

E: just cuz u have a hickey doesnt mean it came from me

E: so shouldnt YOU hope its gone by break?

W: Seriously. Dead. Buried. In the ground.

E: :)

***

Ed had stopped at his locker for a book but had ended up texting with his head in his locker, trying not to show the dorky smile threatening to break out over his face. It wasn't until the door of the locker hit him lightly on the head that he realized he was probably going to be late to class. He grabbed the book, slammed the door, and immediately jumped when he saw Ling smirking at him.

"Fuck!" Ed shouted. "Don't do that!"

"Distracted?" Ling said.

"Go away," Ed said, walking past him.

"Trying to help Winry with her," Ling tapped the side of his neck, "problem?"

"We shouldn't have told either of you jack shit."

"Glad you guys had fun yesterday," Ling said catching up to Ed.

Ed could feel his ears turning red. "Seriously, go away."

"I do have a question for you."

"Would it matter if I told you to fuck off?"

"How long do you think this will go on for?" Ling asked.

"What? Me and Winry?"

"No, you and Winry pretending to not be you and Winry."

"Until we feel like it," Ed snapped. "This is you guys's fault anyway, with your stupid bets and your inability to stay out of other people's business."

"You're one to talk."

"Fuck OFF."

"I just ask," Ling said, "because you know the spring dance is only two weeks after break."

"So?" Ed asked.

"Think about it."

Ed looked at him with contempt and confusion, which wasn't so different than how he usually looked at Ling but this time he had a reason. Why did it matter that the dance was coming up? It's not like he ever went. Not only did he not like dances, but since the spring one was at Amestris, it tended to be a little more fancy and much more of a 'date' thing. He had never had anyone that he actually WANTED to ask. The only part of the dance Ed liked was the part where he could crash someone's room party afterward, get drunk, and fall asleep, which Ling knew well. So why would he even mention it?

Then it hit him. He stopped walking as did Ling.

"There it is," Ling said.

"Oh shit," Ed said. "Shit!"

"I mean that could be a dramatic way to reveal it to everyone," Ling suggested, "if you want all eyes on you all the time."

"I'd rather die," Ed said as he kept walking. 

"Might be the only way to solve your problem, if you don't figure it out soon."

"Do you think she'd want to go?" Ed asked. 

Ling shrugged. "You'd have to ask her to find out. Which means she would be your date."

Ed's face grew hot at the thought and he groaned. "This hiding from everyone was so much easier in theory."

"Most things are."

"Mr. Elric, Mr. Ling."

They both looked up to see Mustang standing in the doorway of his classroom. Ed knew they were at least five minutes late.

"Nice of you to finally join us," Mustang said. 

"Sorry sir," Ling said. "Sorting out Ed's love life."

Ed punched him hard on the shoulder as they walked passed Mustang.

"Hm," Mustand said, "surprised that only took five minutes to figure out."

"What took five minutes?" Lan Fan asked as Ed and Ling took their seats. 

"Ed cursing and losing $10 to me," Ling said. "Pay up, Elric."

"I hate it here so much," Ed grumbled, his head dropping to his desk.

"You still owe me money," Ling prodded.

"Bite me."

"If we can get quiet from the back row," Mustang called to them, "we can get started."

Ling went silent but Ed almost immediately felt his phone buzz. He slowly pulled it out of his pocket, his head still on his desk.

L: You know that Russell guy will probably ask her if you don't

E: even if i do hell ask her anyway???

L: Still, better excuse if you've already asked her

E: y do u care so much about this?

L: I told you before. Your happiness is my happiness. And the longer this goes on, the more likely my death will be long, drawn out, and painful 

E: id watch that

L: She'd kill you too

E: y? i didnt do anything

L: You hid it from her

E: so wut?

L: She likes to know things

E: ugh

L: Why not just tell everyone? It can't just be the bets

Ed paused and stared at Ling's text. He hated how Ling was always right and always seemed to know when there was something more.

He wasn't sure how Winry felt, but Ed knew it wasn't just the bets that kept him from telling everyone. The longer they kept this a secret, the longer Ed had to spend in the bubble they had created for themselves. He was enjoying it just being the two of them too much and the second people knew, the more likely it could pop.

It's not that he gave a shit what people said; the only thing Ed cared about was how Winry felt. What if other people knowing changed things for her? What if being a 'real' couple suddenly made her see this whole thing, made her see him, differently? Ed knew it was a stupid fear, but it was still there and for some reason he couldn't seem to shake it.

"Edward." Ed didn't even lift up his head when Mustang called him. "Since you seem riveted by our conversation, maybe you can repeat what I just said about thermodynamics."

"In order to conserve the total flow of energy, there has to be a counterbalancing change in the internal energy. The change in the energy account is the difference between deposits and withdrawals," Ed answered in a flat tone.

Everyone was silent. "Hm," Mustang said, and Ed could hear the smirk on his face. "Good guess."

"You are so weird," Lan Fan added.

"Remind me of that the next time you need help," Ed snapped back, finally picking his head up and leaning back in his chair, losing himself in the numbers and formulas on the board as he tried to put his insecurities aside. For a moment, anyway.

Notes:

happy new year (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚ i meant to update this days ago (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚ oh well (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚

chapter title: 'fall so hard' by christopher

Chapter 36: hey, a-what's going on

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Even though he was driving, Al noticed Ed texting the entire trip from Amestris. It had to be Winry. He made a mental note.

Spring break hadn't even really started, but Al already had a couple mental notes in his observation of Ed and Winry.

1. He had suggested they leave on Friday after classes instead of Saturday like they usually do, to which Ed had agreed. This was unusual; while Al was still living at Winry and Pinako's, Ed had always shown up for breaks either Saturday night or Sunday, preferring to spend time alone for a bit than get home quickly. This was evidence to suggest that maybe he and Winry hadn't discussed anything and he was still in his lovesick daze.

2. Lan Fan had noticed Ed seemed antsy all through their last class. This could go either way; either he was anxious to see Winry, or anxious about seeing her as thing might now be awkward if they had talked and decided to be just friends. Al needed more data to support one theory or the other.

3. The constant texting. This was neither here nor there as they had been constantly texting each other for a few months (not counting those few days when Ed messed things up briefly)

So far, though, Al was more confused than he was before, but he tried to push that aside as they pulled into the driveway. He heard Den barking already.

Ed stretched beside him. "What are the chances we get pie today?"

"Depends on your attitude, I think," Al answered opening his door.

"You are so fucking hilarious, you know?"

"I'm aware," Al called as he pulled his bag out of the back seat.

He didn't wait for Ed as he bounded up the front stairs. He wanted to see how long it would take Ed; would he be anxious to get inside or avoid as long as possible?

Den immediately burst out the front door as soon as Al opened it. "Welcome back," Pinako said from her chair, only looking up slightly from what she was reading.

"Hi Granny," Al said, dropping his bag on the floor. "How are you?"

Pinako shrugged. "Can't complain."

"You sure about that?" Ed said, coming in behind Al.

Pinako just 'hmm'-ed in response as she dropped her eyes back to her reading. Ed flopped down on the couch, stretching again. Al stayed standing and waited to see if Ed would ask or if he would have to.

"How's that leg?" Pinako asked.

"Still in one piece," Ed responded.

"Hm," Pinako answered, "barely."

"How would you know?" Ed snapped.

"I can tell. Winry won't be happy."

"She never is," Ed said dropping his head on the back of the couch and closing his eyes. 

Al decided he would have to ask and made another mental note in the process. "Where is Winry?"

"I'm here! Hold on!" Al heard Winry call. Moments later, she came down the stairs, her hair up in her usual bandana and her sleeves rolled up. "Sorry," she said as she gave Al a hug. "I was working. Hi!"

"Oh, sorry, you can go back if you need to," Al said.

"No, I'm done for now."

Ed opened his eyes a bit to look at her then shut them again. "Thanks for dressing up for us."

Winry quickly pulled her bandana out of her hair and smacked him in the face. "Can't you just say 'hi' for once?"

"Where's the fun in that?"

"By the way, what did I hear about your leg?"

Ed's eyes opened quickly and he leaned his head back further. "How the fuck did you hear that?" He was immediately hit by Pinako's shoe.

"Get up," Winry said. "Let me take a look."

Ed groaned. "I thought you said you were done working."

Winry stepped over to stand in front of him and pulled him up by the arms. "Never done with you. Come on, let's go."

Ed groaned again but followed her as she led him by the arms up the stairs. "Dinner will be ready in an hour," Pinako called after them.

Al just stared as it all happened. Something was weird. It was all so normal. Had the last couple of months not even happened?

Al went up the stairs, listening beside Winry's door for a minute. Winry was chastising him for his leg, Ed was complaining that she was uptight. Again, so normal.

Then he walked into the room. Al might've thought he imagined it, it happened so fast, but as he walked in, he was sure he saw Ed's hand quickly drop to the bed where he was sitting and Winry's quickly drop to her side where she was standing in front of him. Al blinked. Were they just holding hands?

"What're you staring at?" Ed asked him with a raised eyebrow.

Al shook his head. "Nothing." He sat next to Ed, still looking between him and Winry as they kept talking while Ed switched to the temporary prosthetic. Al hadn't imagined it, had he? They kept on like nothing had happened and everything was normal, but he had definitely seen something. 

Now Al was wondering: was everything too normal? Suddenly he was thinking that maybe Ed was trying too hard to pick fights, maybe Winry was spending a little too long turned around in her chair talking to him instead of focusing on his leg. Or had he started to look too hard at things to find something that wasn't there?

Just as he was starting to feel especially creepy, Al realized something. A crucial detail that could reveal everything. He almost smirked, but tried to hold back. 

Ed was wearing his red sweatshirt. And Winry hadn't said a word. 

Usually she mentioned it pretty quickly after they would get there or she would see them, but she hadn't said anything yet. Al didn't say anything though; after all, they hadn't been home for that long yet (only about 20 minutes) and she could still mention it at any point.

But she didn't. Not while she made adjustments to his leg. Not while they all sat in her room talking. Not when Pinako called them down and not even during dinner. 

By the time they were done eating, three hours had gone by and Winry didn't say anything about it. A theory started to form in Al's mind that he started to become more and more sure of as the night went on. He still felt creepy, but Al didn't have to look too hard before he could notice the blush on Winry's cheeks or the smile on Ed's face when he looked at her.  

Al decided it was time to say something.

"Winry, I'm surprised," Al said casually.

"Hm?" Winry said. "About what?"

"We've been home for a while and you haven't said anything about Ed's sweatshirt."

Winry and Ed both visibly froze. It was only for a moment, but it was obvious. Al smiled.

"Well," Winry said, looking down at the table, "I said something to him earlier. When I took him upstairs. For his leg."

"Oh?" Al said. 

"Yeah, but I thought, you know, I've already said so much about it that I thought maybe this time I'd just mention it once and then let it go."

"Really?"

"Yeah so thanks for bringing it back up," Ed said punching him on the shoulder. 

"Can't believe you didn't fight back, though," Al said turning to him.

Ed just shrugged as he stood and picked up his empty plate. He also was avoiding any eye contact. "I mean, she let it go so I won the battle."

Winry rolled her eyes as she also got up with her and Al's empty plates. "Hardly. Are you done, Granny? I can take that."

"I'll help you out," Ed offered, taking more things off the table and following Winry into the kitchen.

Al sat there, his arms crossed and a smirk on his face. He heard Pinako click her tongue as she stood up.

"You'd think they'd just come out with it already," she said.

"So you think so too?" Al said.

"Oh, I know so," Pinako answered as she made her way to the basement door. "They weren't very good about hiding it a few months ago and they're not very good at it now."

Al got up and followed her downstairs, sitting on the bottom step. "What do you mean, a few months ago?"

Pinako sat at her desk. "When he came home for that weekend. I didn't see anything but it was pretty obvious."

"But why hide it?"

Pinako shrugged. "Who knows. Those two were always going to end up together. Maybe they just don't want the 'I told you so's." 

***

A: I think we were wrong.

M: about?

A: About what's actually going on with Ed and Winry

M: What do you mean?

A: I think they're together and hiding it

M: WHAT?!

A: Pinako thinks so too. She said she noticed it when Ed came home for that weekend.

M: wait, back up a bit. why do you suddenly think they're together?

A: Well at first things were just...weird. They were normal but almost TOO normal, ya know? Then I I'm pretty sure I walked in on them holding hands. THEN I realized she hadn't said anything about his awful sweatshirt and when I mentioned she hadn't said anything they both got all weird. Plus I've just been noticing all this stuff about the way they act together and I just feel STUPID that I didn't think of this sooner!

M: WOW!!!

M: but wait why would they hide it?

A: Pinako thinks it's to avoid the 'I told you so's since everyone knows they're going to end up together.

M: that's definitely one theory...

A: Do you have another?

M: maybe...

M: do you think we have a spy amongst us?

A: What?

M: think about it.

A: Oh

A: OH

A: WAIT

M: whoa a triple text from alphonse elric!

A: OF COURSE

A: THEY WOULD NEVER TELL US IF THEY KNEW ABOUT ALL OUR SCHEMING AND SIDE BETS

M: exactly!! cause then not only would they get the 'i told you's but they'd have to deal with all of this!

A: Which of course they would then try to pretend like nothing was going on and everything was normal. Because they're trying to convince all of US that everything is normal 

A: You're a GENIUS

M: why thank you :)

A: But who's our spy then?

M: my vote is my stupid brother, i bet he said something. i'm going to destroy him

A: Don't just yet. This is still all theory, we don't know for sure

M: it hasn't even been a full first day of spring break and they're already cracking. i doubt we'll have to wait much longer

Notes:

yes i did use the song you're think of as the title. no i'm not sorry

chapter title: 'what's up' by 4 non blondes

Chapter 37: darling, we can just be free

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed wanted to kiss Winry. Ed wanted to kiss Winry very badly.

It had only been three days of spring break. How was he supposed to last another five? Every time he thought he had an opportunity, Al would come in or Pinako would come in or Al AND Pinako would come in. Ed had thought about ducking in sometime at night when Al had gone to bed, but Pinako had suddenly gotten into the habit of staying up late reading with her door open.

After that first day when Al had almost caught them, Ed was even afraid to hold Winry's hand. He thought both of them were doing a good job at hiding things, but he didn't realize how hard it would be to be around Winry all the time without kissing her. It didn't help that she looked beautiful all the time, which he continued to text her when he had the chance. 

He and Al were playing Mario Kart, but Ed could barely focus. He kept glancing at the kitchen door where he knew Winry was. Maybe he could just duck in for a quick peck. Al wouldn't even know.

"Brother!"

"What?!" Ed practically jumped. He hadn't realized Al kept saying his name.

"I'm going to go for a walk, want to come?" 

Ed sat up straight. Pinako had gone to the store and if Al was about to leave...

"No," Ed said, trying to sound casual. "No I'm good."

Al stood and stretched. "Okay. I'll be back in a bit. C'mon Den!"

Den jumped off the couch and followed Al out the door. Ed sat and waited for a minute then leapt up and into the kitchen.

"Ed!" Winry shrieked, causing the open fridge door she was in front of to slam against the wall. "Oh my god, you scared me."

"Sorry," Ed said.

"Where's Al?"

"Went for a walk," Ed answered, moving closer with his hands in his pockets. "What're you doing?"

"Trying to decide if I want juice or soda, but I think I'll probably just have water," Winry said. "You didn't want to go with Al?"

"Nope," Ed said. "I...wanted to do something else."

"Hm? What?" Winry closed the fridge door.

As soon as she turned her head to look at him, Ed reached out and held her cheek, pulling her close to him and putting his lips on hers. She responded immediately, her hands going around his neck as he pushed her against the fridge door. God, did it feel good. 

Ed pulled away to catch his breath, but only a little bit. Winry still had her eyes closed and he smiled when they finally fluttered open.

"Hi," he said.

"Hello."

"You do not know how badly I've wanted to do that for three days now."

Winry smirked and Ed felt his face getting warmer. 

"Really?" she almost whispered. "Show me."

Ed didn't need telling twice. He immediately kissed her again, his hands going to her waist as she gripped the back of his neck. His eyes were closed but he still felt like his entire world was spinning. It felt like electricity was crackling through his skin, and he didn't even want to pull away to breathe. Part of him wants to slow down and savor it, but the other part wants to make up for the three days of kisses he wasn't giving her. The second part of his brain won. 

He knows they should move out of the kitchen, but Ed can't seem to force himself away. Everything is pushed away by Winry's touch, her scent, her lips - 

"I KNEW IT!"

Ed and Winry shot apart as fast as possible but they knew it's too late. Al stood in the doorway, a huge grin on his face as both Ed and Winry tried to catch their breath. Ed couldn't do anything but look between Winry and Al, who had now started to laugh.

"Oh fuck off," Ed finally said, not knowing what else to say.

Winry was still just looking between him and Al as he continued to laugh. Ed wished Winry would say something as he had no idea what to do in this situation besides possibly cause his brother physical harm.

Suddenly, Winry went from looking shocked to smiling which thoroughly confused Ed. Then she was laughing. Ed's mouth fell open.

"Why are YOU laughing?!" Ed snapped.

Winry tried to speak, but her words were cut off by more giggles as she fell on the floor laughing. This just made Al laugh harder. Den was running back and forth between the two of them, barking and jumping up. Ed questioned the reality he was currently living in as he felt his face get hot. It was all so strange that he couldn't even get mad about it.

"You both are fucking insane," was the only thing Ed could think of to say.

"Oh," Al said as he tried to catch his breath, "she is DEFINITELY insane, since she's dating YOU."

"FUCK. OFF." Ed lunged for Al but Al quickly dodged, going through the kitchen door and running up the stairs.

"Sorry, I've got some people I need to update!" Al called down.

"I hope you lost a lot of fucking money!" Ed called after him.

He heard Al laugh again before the door closed. Ed huffed, crossing his arms over his chest before he felt a hand on his shoulder. 

"And you were a lot of fucking help," Ed said, turning to Winry and leaning against the stairs, his arms still crossed.

"What was I supposed to do?" Winry said laughing again. "We were caught anyway, it's not like we could've denied it."

"Well you could've done something instead of just laughing," Ed grumbled, looking at the floor.

He felt Winry's fingers on his chin tilting his head up to look at her. He just scowled.

"Was it worth getting caught though?" Winry asked.

Ed just glared as Winry leaned in and gave him a soft kiss. When she pulled away, Ed sighed. "Yeah," Ed admitted. "It was."

Winry smiled. "Good." She leaned in to kiss him again when Ed heart her phone ping. Almost immediately after, Ed felt is phone vibrate. And vibrate. And vibrate again. Winry's phone was getting a similar amount of pings. 

"I guess everyone knows now," Winry said with a sigh.

Ed groaned as now it felt like someone was trying to call him. "I don't want to pick up the phone."

Winry just wrapped her arms around his neck and started to lean in again. "Don't."

Ed couldn't help but smirk. "How can I argue with an argument like that?" he said before finally closing the gap between them.

Notes:

happy valentine's day ;)

chapter title: 'roses' by finn askew

Chapter 38: i could hear the chit chat

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A: So I just caught Ed and Winry making out in the kitchen

M: YOU WHAT

A: Yep

M: OMG

M: OMG I KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN I KNEW THEY WOULD CRACK

A: Crack they did! And now I'm scarred for life!

M: and $20 poorer! how does it feel? ;)

A: Haha there are worse things to lose money over. And worse people to lose money to

M: thank you :) i think?

A: It was a compliment don't worry

M: have you told everyone else? we need to smoke out the rat

A: Not yet, I wanted to tell you first

M: :)

***

A: Ed and Winry are together

LF: PARDON?!

P: are you sure?!

A: I mean I just caught them making out in the kitchen so yeah I'm pretty sure

LF: THEY WERE WHAT?!

P: HAHAHAHAHAHA oh man i wish i could've seen that

A: Trust me. No you don't

P: i mean the actual getting caught part, not the fornication

A: GROSS STOP

L: wow well done ed

LF: Can't believe it took them like three days of spring break before they got together

A: So about that....we're thinking they've actually been together for a while

L: why is that?

A: Pinako said they've been together for months and even when we first got here I noticed things were weird

M: so who spilled the beans

P: about what??

M: all our bets! somebody spilled

A: Yeah Ed yelled that he hoped I lost a lot of money so they knew

LF: They've been together for months?! What the hell?! I'm going to kill that little son of a bitch

L: oh she's serious, lan fan is trying to call him now

P: maybe they just found out? like maybe no one actually said anything and they just discovered it

A: How?

LF: Al go tell your brother to pick up his phone or I'll have Ling call him too

A: I'm not going back down there

***

E: can u both stop fucking calling me

LF: You are the worst

LF: Like the worst of the worst of the worst

LF: Why didn't you tell us?!

E: r u kidding me rite now

L: she is not

L: she's been stomping around fuming since we got the news

E: no i mean r u fucking KIDDING ME CALLING US THE WORST

E: WHEN YOU GUYS MADE FUCKING BETS

E: ON WHEN THIS WOULD HAPPEN

LF: So that IS why you didn't tell us!

E: yeh its y i didnt tll u! 

LF: Honestly the fact that you didn't think we would do that is on you

LF: Now tell us who the leak is

E: absolutely the fuck not

L: i told you he would be difficult

E: y r u texting that here arent u guys in the same fucking room

L: cause i want you to know that i knew that you would be difficult

E: i hate u both

L: <3 

E: DONT HEART ME U BITCH

***

Ed made a point to stomp up the stairs and almost slam the door when Winry went to get work done. He wanted to make sure Al knew he was coming and still mad, even if it caused Winry to yell out of her room at him.

Al was sitting on his bed with his phone and looked up when he entered the room. Ed hoped his glare would inspire fear, but Al was annoyingly casual as always.

"So who told you about the bets?" Al asked.

"I'm not telling you jack shit," Ed said decisively as he flopped on his bed.

Al laughed and Ed threw him another glare to let him know that was a dangerous move. "Oh come on," Al said, "you can't actually be mad at us."

Ed just crossed his arms over his chest and sunk lower into his mattress. 

"For what it's worth," Al tried, "I'm happy for you guys."

Despite his overwhelming want to be annoyed, Ed softened at this. He sighed and rolled his eyes to hopefully keep up the angry image a little bit. "Yeah, whatever. Now you gotta focus on your own shit I guess."

"What do you mean?"

"You can't obsess over me and Win so now you have to actually focus on May."

Al cleared his throat and Ed was satisfied to see his ears turn red. "I actually already have a plan there."

Ed raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"You'll find out."

"Oh come on," Ed groaned. "You don't get to be all up in my business and not let me be up in yours."

"First," Al said, "you are always in everyone's business, with or without permission. And two, I don't think I've ever heard you say the phrase 'up in my business' ever."

"That can't be true."

"Which part?"

"The last part obviously." Ed sat up. "Oh I forgot something." 

"What?" Al asked as Ed stood and crossed over to him. Before Al could even move, Ed had punched him as hard as he could on the shoulder.

"OW!" Al yelped as Ed went back to his bed. "What was that for?!"

"For the bets," Ed answered, "and for laughing."

"Of course I laughed! I caught you making out in the kitchen!"

"Still," Ed said, feeling his face burning a bit.

"Also, for the record, Winry laughed too and I bet you didn't punch her."

"Winry laughed because you were laughing and also she had just been caught by her pseudo brother making out with her best friend in the kitchen we had all essentially grown up in," Ed said. "It was a surreal moment."

"Did Winry tell you all that?"

"No, I figured that out walking up the stairs. It's also how I felt except you are my ACTUAL brother."

Al blinked. "Wow. I'm surprised you're so in touch with your emotions."

"Fuck off," Ed snapped. "It's also not exactly like I had much time to ask her downstairs after you left."

"You were down there for 20 mi-" Al cut himself off. "Oh, gross!"

Ed smirked. "I mean, she essentially jumped on me as soon as you left, what was I supposed to do?"

Al put his hands over his ears. "Stop it! Seeing it was mildly scarring enough, I don't need to hear about it too!"

Ed laughed. Maybe being thrust into the spotlight like this wouldn't be too bad after all. 

Notes:

i can't believe my brain conjured up this song from the deep depths when i needed it.

next chapter spoiler is from winry's POV after getting caught hehehe

chapter title: 'everybody talks' by neon trees

Chapter 39: everything all on the table

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

P: YOU TWO ARE SO BUSTED

W: I'm aware :)

M: i can't believe you didn't tell us!

W: I know I'm sorry. We kind of....didn't know what to tell people? Also it was kind of nice to live in a bubble for a bit

W: Please don't take offense to that, we just wanted to figure things out first

M: awww that's so cute

LF: It would be cuter if it wasn't Ed you were in the bubble with

M: she's mad at him

W: Don't be mad at him! It was my idea to keep it quiet!

LF: Doesn't matter. Ed knows the consequences of this

P: yikes would not want to be him when spring break ends

LF: No. No you do not.

W: Please don't kill him

LF: FOR YOU I'll try

***

P: i think they're going to kill me

W: Why?

P: they're trying to smoke out who spilled about the bets! which was me!!

W: You didn't do it on purpose!

P: it was still me though!!!

W: Honestly because it's you I'm sure it won't be too bad. If it was Ling....

P: hm...that is a good point

W: Although I still wouldn't want to be Ling when Lan Fan finds out he knew the whole time

P: TRUE ok at least i have a death friend

***

Winry should be working. She was supposed to be working. Instead, she was fielding the flood of text messages she was getting, but she wasn't too mad about it. Everyone finally knowing about her and Ed was making her giddy in a weird way. 

Not that their relationship wasn't real before, but now that it was out suddenly Winry felt like her and Ed's romantic relationship was really real. It didn't make any sense and she knew it didn't, but that's still how she felt. It was almost like she was experiencing the butterflies and nervousness she first felt all over again.

She was sitting cross legged in her chair, ignoring the half finished arm in front of her and instead texting Paninya when there was a soft knock at her door. 

"Come in," she said, looking up as Al sheepishly walked in. "What's wrong?"

"I just," Al started, shuffling his feet, "wanted to say sorry for just like...bursting in on you guys earlier...and then laughing about it."

Winry raised an eyebrow but smiled. "Are you actually sorry though?"

"To Ed? No. To you? Yes."

Winry rolled her eyes. "You don't need to be sorry. We were in the kitchen, it's not like we didn't take the risk."

Al sat on the edge of her bed. "I guess that's true. But still, I sort of outed you guys."

"It was bound to happen eventually," Winry said with a shrug. "Honestly, it's kind of a relief. At least we're not just waiting for the shoe to drop."

"May said you told them it was your idea to keep it quiet though."

"It was. But still. I know it doesn't make any sense, but it feels nice to have everyone know now."

"That's good," Al said with a nod. "Although I doubt Ed will agree when Lan Fan gets to him."

Winry laughed. "True. Where is Ed anyway?"

Al smirked. "Oh, am I suddenly not good enough for you?"

"You know that's not what I meant," Winry said throwing her bandana at him.

Al caught it with a laugh. "He fell asleep."

Winry shrugged. "Typical." Her phone buzzed again and she looked down to see the girl's group chat blowing up.

"Have you just been texting this whole time?" Al asked.

"Pretty much," Winry sighed. "The girls want all the details." She put her phone back on her table and turned to Al with her arms crossed. "Speaking of details! I want to know more about these bets."

Al sighed. "I guess that's fair."

"It's more than fair. How did it all start?"

"Honestly, it became more of a thing than it started out as. It was just Mai saying she thought you would get together by the end of the year and she said something like 'oh twenty bucks they get together' and that was sort of it," Al explained.

"When did it happen?"

"Winter break."

"That long ago?!" Winry exclaimed.

"It was when you two kept staying up until like 3 AM playing cards and yelling at each other," Al said. 

"We did not stay up until 3 AM."

"Yes you did!" Al said. "I remember because I ALSO had to stay up until 3 AM because you couldn't stop yelling!"

Winry felt her face growing warm. "Okay, fine, but then how did Ling and Lan Fan get involved?"

"They just heard about our bet and we wouldn't let them join ours so they started their own."

"Well, sorry to tell you, but the girls also started helping us get together," Winry said.

"But not until you realized on your own that you liked him so it didn't technically give anyone an unfair advantage," Al pointed out.

"I guess that's true but-" Winry stopped. How did Al know that it wasn't until after?

"Has Paninya been telling you everything?!" Winry exclaimed.

Al looked up at the ceiling, fiddling with his hands. "Well..."

"Oh my god." Winry dropped her head down to her desk, knowing her face was now properly red. "I'm going to kill her."

"You needed a guy on the inside!" Al said.

"Al, what does that even mean?"

"If I knew things, I could push Ed along a little and it could all happen faster."

"Is that how he realized he liked me?" Winry asked, her head still on the table but tilting it up to look at Al. "Did you do that?"

"Actually, that's a mystery still," Al said. "He was one way then suddenly he was a different way and we don't know what happened in between."

Winry finally picked her head up. "I'm never telling any of you anything ever again."

"It's not like I didn't know you were in love with Ed," Al pointed out. "Paninya just...confirmed it a little more."

"You're really not helping either of you right now," Winry said.

"Are you actually mad at her? I didn't mean to get her in trouble."

Winry sighed. "No. But I am getting my revenge by telling you she was the one who spilled about the bets."

Al groaned. "I knew it. Geez, she really can't keep a secret."

"She's also known this whole time that me and Ed were together."

"She WHAT?!"

***

W: Al knows that you told me about the bets. And knows that you knew me and Ed were together

P: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

W: Serves you right for telling him I was in love with Ed months ago!

P: HE TOLD YOU THAT?!

W: You're not the only one who can't keep a secret apparently!

P: to be fair, you being in love with ed wasn't really a secret, it was just common knowledge that had been confirmed

W: That's what Al said

P: exactly :)

W: Don't put a smiley at the end of that!

P: :) ily :)

W: Ugh

Notes:

everyone now knows everything weeeee ~~

title: 'cuffin' by lonr. feat coi leray

Chapter 40: say what you mean

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Al was having a difficult time walking to his dorm room Sunday evening as, along with his bag, he was practically carrying Ed as he clung to his back, crouching down and pulling Al to a stop every couple of feet to look over his shoulder.

"Can you please get off of me?" Al finally groaned. 

"No," Ed said. "I know that Lan Fan is here, I need a shield."

"This is only putting it off," Al said as he tried to pull himself free. "You can't avoid her forever and I can't be your human shield forever."

"I can get you out of your classes. This is an emergency situation."

Al groaned, rolling his eyes. "You're going to get me hurt too!"

"At least I don't go down alone."

They finally reached their dorm, Ed pulling himself slightly free as Al tried to pull out his keys. "Isn't it supposed to be YOU protecting ME considering you're the older one?" Al said.

"Not in emergency situations!"

He was just about to put the keys in the lock when he suddenly heard a yelp, a grunt and something hard drop to the floor. Al turned to see Ed on the ground, his face scrunched in pain, Lan Fan standing over him with her hands on her hips.

"You shouldn't have looked away," Ling said as he approached from behind her.

"One second!" Ed grunted through wincing. "I looked away for one fucking second."

Ling 'tsk'ed'. "You should know better."

"You are such an ass, Edward Elric!" Lan Fan said, leaning down to punch him in the arm.

"What did you even hit me with?!" Ed said as he tried to sit up. "My back is going to hurt for weeks!"

"It's a reminder to never keep secrets from me!" Lan Fan exclaimed, kicking Ed in the shin.

"Uh," Al said. "Hi guys."

"Hi Al," Lan Fan said, turning to him with a smile. "How was your break?"

"Goo-"

"How is HE still alive?!" Ed said, pointing a finger at Ling from the floor. "He knew the whole time!"

"Forgiveness cost me $100," Ling said, "instead of $50."

"And I'm still mad at you too!" Lan Fan crossed her arms and glared at Ling. Al bit his lip to try and not laugh at Ling's visible flinch back.

"I already said I'd make it up to you!" Ling said raising his hands in defense. 

"And you better do that too," Lan Fan said as she turned back to Ed who still hadn't risen from the floor. Al again had to bite his lip as Ed also flinched back. He had never seen Ling or Ed be so afraid before; he assumed this was barely even half of what Lan Fan could do judging by their reactions. It was like watching a viper play with its food. He'd hate to see what she was like when she was really angry.

"It wasn't even my idea! It was Win-"

"Do NOT," Lan Fan snapped, crouching down to glare at Ed directly in his eyes, "blame your GIRLFRIEND for you being an idiot."

"But-"

"DON'T Ed! She's known me for half a year, YOU'VE known me for almost four. And YOU did NOT tell me!" She emphasized her point by hitting him on the arm with every other word of her last statement.

Ed looked like he was about to respond to her, but eventually seemed to decide he preferred to be living. Instead, he deflected by turning to Al. "You're just going to let her abuse me like this?!"

"I'm staying out of this," Al said, moving to open their door. 

"Don't leave me with her!" Ed practically screeched.

"Sorry," Al said, "I have things to do. Let me know when the funeral is!"

As he closed the door on Ed, Lan Fan, and Ling, he dropped his bag and pulled out his phone. Al took a breath before sending his text. If Lan Fan and Ling were here, it meant it was finally time to put his plan into motion.

***

Al was nervous. He had been thinking of this plan for a while, even before Ed and Winry's relationship had come out, but he was still nervous. He sat outside on a bench twiddling this thumbs as he waited. 

Al was pretty hopeful it would work out, but he couldn't be 100% sure. Nothing was a certainty. He also didn't want this to ruin anything. They had built this friendship and he really liked that; if he had to choose between that and nothing, he would choose that every time. However, he knew he wanted something more.

"Al!"

Al's heart was suddenly racing as he looked up and saw May waving to him from across the lawn. Every step she took closer to him just added another butterfly to his stomach. He felt like he might throw up, but he took a deep breath that he hoped she didn't notice.

"Hi!" May said when she got close, sitting next to him on the bench and dropping her bag. "How was your break?"

"It was good," Al said, hoping his voice wasn't shaking. "How was yours?"

"It was good," May said with a smile. "Especially when I found out I was $20 richer!"

Al laughed. "I can see how that might make things nicer."

"I heard you witnessed a small part of the beating," May said with a mischievous smile.

"I did. Ed was at least off of the floor by the time I left our room, but him and Ling were back against the wall as Lan Fan yelled at them."

"I wish I could've seen it," May pouted. "I was there when Ling finally cracked and told Lan Fan he knew the whole time."

"Oh no, what was that like?"

May shook her head almost like she was sad, but Al could see the faint smile on her face. "Not pretty. I've only see her at that level once before and let's just say I'm surprised Ling can still move."

"Yikes, that bad?"

"Oh yeah. She also didn't talk to him for a few days over break, he was losing his mind."

"Wow," Al said. "What does Ling look like when he's losing his mind?"

May shrugged. "He's pretty good at hiding it, but he was just a little bit more jittery and talked a little bit more. Trust me, that's a lot for him. He eventually bribed her into speaking to him again."

"Oh right," Al said. "He mentioned it cost him $100."

"$100, he basically waited on her hand and foot for the rest of break, he's been extra nice to her," May ticked off each one on her fingers. "He is essentially her slave now even more than he was before."

"Wow. Impressive."

"I think he actually feels bad, if you can believe it," May said. "I think he knows that she's more upset about being left out of something than she is angry about not knowing. Probably why she's going a little bit easier on them. If she was MAD mad, it would be a lot worse."

Al nodded. "Makes sense. Wow, what a tangled web that was weaved."

"Well it's all unwoven! And now!" She beamed and held out her hand. "I think you owe me some money!"

Al gulped. This was it. 

"Actually-" Al started. 

"No!" May cut him off. "No backing out! It's $20, we agreed."

"I know," Al said. "But I was thinking that instead of, um, giving you the money I could take it and, um, buy us tickets for the spring dance."

May dropped her hand and blinked.

"If you want," Al said quickly. "I can also just give you the money if you want and we can forget that I ever asked but if you want to go I can, um, do that."

"Like...as a date?" May asked.

"Um....yes," Al answered nervously. "That's what I was thinking. If that's okay. And if you want to go. With me."

There was silence for what felt like an eternity. Al had to force himself to stop talking while he wanted for May to answer.

He was relieved when she finally smiled.

"Yeah," May said and Al felt like he could conquer the world. "Yeah, I'd love to go with you."

Al smiled. "Awesome. Yeah, cool, I'll buy tickets then."

May grinned back. "Sounds good." She suddenly pointed at him. "But if there's change I get it."

Al laughed but put his hand out. "Deal."

May gripped it and they shook hands. "Perfect."

Notes:

hey there it's been a minute may was nothing but chaos but june should be smoother let's get this BREAD

lyrics: 'i want to be with you' by chloe moriondo

Chapter 41: i didn't have a damn clue

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ed paced in his room. This was stupid. Why was he even nervous? They were already together so obviously she would say yes but she could also not say yes which what did he do then? He tried to think back and realized he had never actually asked a girl to a dance. Partially because there was never anyone he wanted to go with but mostly because he hated going to dances. 

Or he used to hate going to them. Now that he knew Winry liked going to them, Ed was suddenly more inclined to go. It helped, too, that for this one he didn't actually have to go anywhere except the school auditorium and back. Plus, he could ask her to stay for the parties that came after. He knew it was a lot for their first official "we are definitely a couple" outing, but it could be fun.

Ed was also chastising himself for not asking over the break when he could've done it in person. That was probably the way you were supposed to do these things. The dance and going back to school, though, were really the last things on his mind when they were at home. Now that everyone knew everything, he had spent the break getting used to actually getting to treat Winry like they were together. Despite Al's constant "ugh"-ing and "gross" comments, he liked being able to hold Winry's hand whenever he wanted, sneak into her room for a kiss while she was working, and put his arm around her while they were all watching TV. It was almost weird how quickly and comfortably he settled into it. It felt like this was always the way it was supposed to be, even if they had taken a while to get there.

After pacing for a good 20 minutes, Ed finally rolled his eyes at himself and pulled his phone out. The pacing did resume, though, as he waited for her to pick up.

"Hey," Winry said when she answered. "What's up?"

"Not much," Ed said, trying to sound casual. "You busy?"

"Not really. I'm surprised you sound so good, though. I heard you took a beating."

Ed groaned, absently rubbing his back. "Don't remind me. I'm sure I have bruises, I just haven't looked yet."

Winry laughed. "Aww," she cooed. "Poor baby."

"Your fake sympathy is appreciated."

"I'm surprised it was just you and not you and Ling."

"I'm sure he got his ass kicked when she first found out. Now, she's all about the psychological torture. He's basically trailing after her like a lost puppy right now."

"That's cute in a really sad way."

Ed rolled his eyes. "It's gross. Especially since they won't actually get their shit together and just get the fuck together."

"I don't think we're allowed to make that comment," Winry pointed out. "Since apparently we were the same way."

"Yeah but then we did," Ed said, grinning. "Which makes us better."

"It's not a competition, Ed."

"It is now. And we're winning."

He could practically hear Winry's eyeroll and couldn't suppress a grin. "You're a child."

Ed then cleared his throat, the smile dropping from his face as he tried to get back to his plan. Whatever that was. 

"So," he said. "Speaking of, winning..."

"I don't really know what that means," Winry said, "and I'm not sure I want to encourage it."

"Well." He cleared his throat again. Why was it suddenly dry? "You know, there's this stupid...dance...thing coming up soon."

"I'm aware, yes." Was she smiling? Or was Ed just imagining that tone in her voice?

"I don't know if you've ever been to the spring one."

"I haven't, actually," Winry said casually. "It's much more of a date, formal thing than the winter one. And you should know I've never been, since I had never gone to your school except for that time a couple months ago."

"Right. Well..." Why was this so hard? Ed ran his hand through his bangs. "Would you, uh, want to?"

"Would I want to what?"

She was really going to make him say it. "Do you want to go to the dance with me?"

There was silence on the other end of the phone and Ed resisted the urge to chew on his nail as he waited. Maybe she really was going to say no.

"Wow," Winry said finally. "So you're not going to show up at my school with a giant banner and six dozen roses? I'm offended."

"Do people actually do that?"

"Believe it or not, they do. Although I think that's more prom than just the regular spring dance."

"Well, this is just regular spring dance," Ed said, nervously. "So..."

"Soooo...."

"Oh my god," Ed said, sitting on the edge of his bed with an eye roll. "You're going to make me say it again, aren't you?"

"Yes. I'd like to soak in the fact that this is happening."

Ed groaned but relented. "Winry, would you like to go to the dance with me?"

"Yes, Ed," Winry said and Ed finally felt himself fully relax and smile. "I would like to go to the dance with you."

"God that was exhausting," Ed said, flopping down on his back.

"Were you nervous?!" Winry practically squealed.

"Fuck yes I was," Ed admitted. "Shut up about it."

"Never thought I'd see the day," Winry said. "Ed being nervous about asking a girl to a dance."

"Yeah, well, the girl is you so..."

"Is that a compliment?"

"Yes, gearhead, it's a compliment."

Winry sighed. "You just had to ruin it, didn't you?"

Ed grinned. "You know me."

 

***

 

Ed was sitting in the library, glancing up occasionally at Lan Fan who was sitting across from and decisively not looking at him. She hadn't said anything since she walked in and saw him sitting there; she had just sat down, opened her books, and immediately started working.

"So you still mad at me?" Ed said finally after the 20 minutes of dead silence got to him.

Lan Fan didn't respond, just continued working with an unreadable expression.

Ed huffed. "Seriously, it's been like 3 days, you thoroughly kicked my ass-"

"Definitely should have kicked it more," Lan Fan grumbled, still not looking up.

"-And I apologized. I'll even apologize again: I'm sorry I kept the fact me and Winry are together from you."

Lan Fan rolled her eyes and said nothing. Ed was starting to get irritated and couldn't keep himself from letting it bleed through his voice.

"Fuck's sake, what more do you want from me?!"

Lan Fan finished writing her equation then finally looked up, eyes narrowed. "You're supplying all of the drinks for the dance after party."

"What?! All of them?!"

"All of them," she said, narrowing her eyes further. "And you get to buy my ticket."

Ed crossed his arms. "Shouldn't your date be buying your ticket?"

Lan Fan cocked an eyebrow. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Ed shook his head. Probably not the time to get into her and Ling's relationship status, or lack thereof. "Never mind. But will all of this finally get you to let this go?"

Lan Fan glared at him for a beat, but then finally sighed. "Fine."

"Then it's a deal," Ed said, picking his up his pen and going back to his work. "I didn't know you cared so much."

"I'm your friend, Ed. Of course I care."

Ed snapped his head up, but Lan Fan was looking back down at her equations. He knew, in theory, him and Lan Fan were friends, but neither of them were prone to saying that. Hearing her say she cared made the guilt of keeping the secret from her when Ling knew the whole time settle deeper into his chest.

"Right," Ed mumbled. "Sorry."

Lan Fan didn't respond, but Ed caught the smallest flicker of her eyes looking up at him then back down.

"Well," Lan Fan said, "if you're really sorry, you can help me with this chem homework."

Ed suppressed a smile. "Sure."

Lan Fan had just pushed her notebook across the table when suddenly they heard the library doors open with a bang and before either of them could process what was happening, Ling was kneeling in front of Lan Fan holding out a rose with a hand over his heart.

"Dearest Lan Fan," he said dramatically.

Lan Fan stared down at him. "What are you doing?"

Ed noticed that the other people in the library were staring at them, their looks of confusion probably matching his own. He thought back to his conversation with Winry and six dozen roses. Maybe this was how people did this.

"Will you," Ling continued, "please accompany me to the Amestris spring dance?"

Lan Fan blinked then rolled her eyes, seeming to recover from the shock. "I always accompany you to the dance."

"I know," Ling said. "But I never officially ask. Now I am officially asking."

"Is this part of you making it up to me? Making a scene?"

"Maybe."

Lan Fan looked down at him for a minute while Ed just gawked trying to figure out what was really happening. Maybe Ling was finally making his move. Were they finally going to get together?

He got his answer when Lan Fan snatched the rose out of Ling's hand and said, "Fine. But this is not a date."

Ling stood, smiling slyly. "Of course not. We're just...going together."

"Right."

"Right."

"Mr. Yao." All three of them turned as Ms. Sheska appeared out from behind the shelves. "You're being a bit too loud for the library."

"Sorry, Ms. Sheska," Ling said. "I was just on my way out."

He turned and bowed to Lan Fan then straightened before doing a casual salute to Ed. "Edward."

Ed just saluted back as Ling turned on his heel and walked out the door. He then smirked and turned to Lan Fan.

"Guess I don't need to buy you that ticket," he said.

"Shut up," Lan Fan responded before putting the rose next to her book. "Now help me with this."

Ed leaned over his book, still smirking and wondering if he was imagining the small blush on Lan Fan's face.

Notes:

next few chapters will probably be long ones cause we're gonna daaance ;)

chapter title: "all 4 nothing (i'm so in love)" by lauv

Chapter 42: hear my heart go ba-do, boo'd up

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

TO: SQUAD UP

P: hi friends, want us to bring anything on friday?

E: y am i in a group chat

E: who named this thing

P: you're in the group chat because you're unfortunately dating my best friend

P: i named this thing

EDWARD ELRIC left the conversation

WINRY ROCKBELL added EDWARD ELRIC to the conversation

E: TRAITOR

W: Ed, it's the easiest way for us to coordinate. Please just accept it

E: fine

L: anyone hear that?

E: tf r u talking about?

L: hm, might just be me then. could've sworn i heard the sound of a whip

E: I WILL FUCKING END YOU

P: CAN WE COME BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE

LF: I think we're stocked. Thank you, though, Pan

P: boys please take notes, this is how you be civil

P: except you, al, you don't need to take notes

A: Thank you?

M: it's a good thing :)

E: i fucking hate group chats

A: What time are you guys getting here, Pan?

P: pretty much right after school

E: the dance until 8 tho?

M: we have to get READY, ed. it's a FORMAL dance

E: and its gonna take u 5 hours to do that??

M: it's also a chance for us to HANG OUT

M: i get why you wouldn't understand though. since you have so little friends

E: fucking bite me pipsqueak

EDWARD ELRIC left the conversation

AL ELRIC added EDWARD ELRIC to the conversation

E: R U KIDDING ME

A: Please be nice, Ed

E: i hate all of u srsly

W: Um, okay??

E: FUCK

L: tsk tsk edward tsk tsk

E: NOT U

L: aw thanks!

E: NOT U AS IN NOT WINRY

E: LING U CAN CHOKE

E: I HATE GROUP CHATS

***

E: i dont hate u

E: obviously

E: that was to everyone else

E: not u tho

E: just fyi

W: OMG calm down! I was teasing you!

E: oh

E: yeh i knew that

E: are u coming to my room before u go to may's on friday?

E: wait that sounded wrong

E: i didnt mean like that

W: ED OMG 

W: Why are you freaking out?!

E: im not

E: im chill

W: Yeah clearly

W: Also no I'm not allowed to 

E: wut do u mean? 

W: May said we should 'stay away from our dates' until you come to get us

E: jfc its not marriage

W: Take it up with her then!

E: pass

W: Cause she can kick your ass?

E: AS IF

E: wait does rose count in that?

W: No Rose is getting ready with us

E: WTF BUT SHES PANS DATE???

W: Again, take it up with May! She wanted to get to know Rose better!

E: so annoying

E: after party is still at lings?

W: As far as I know

E: cool they wouldnt tell me

E: said id find out eventually

W: Ah sorry I ruined the surprise

***

E: dude where tf r u

A: Uh, study hall?? Where I'm supposed to be??

E: which is ur last class just cut

A: I actually have homework I need to do

A: Why? What's wrong?

E: what in the FUCK am i supposed to wear to this dance

E: like do i have to wear a tie??? is just a button down fine?? do i have to match with winry??

A: Is this really happening right now?

E: STFU i saw ur like 12 different outfits put together in ur closet

A: Okay 1. Why are you in my closet? and 2. It's only like 5 outfits I put together! I like the options! 

E: i went into ur closet cause i knew u had like 12 different outfits put together and i needed help

A: It's only 5!!

E: and all ur options just confused me more!

A: You know you still have two days until the dance right?

E: yah but what if i need to go buy something

A: Ugh fine I'll be there in a minute

E: A LIFE SAVER

A: I know. Meanwhile, just pick out all the stuff you have that would go with Winry's dress

E: shit am i supposed to kno what color her dress is?

A: Oh my god

***

A: What color is Winry's dress?

P: ummm i think she said she was going with a blue one

A: Thank you!

P: why ask me instead of winry?

A: Because Ed is freaking out about what to wear and doesn't want Winry to know he's freaking out

P: omg

P: he is down so bad for her

A: You're just realizing this now?

***

TO: Girl Gang Squad

P: winry ur boy is FREAKING 

W: Oh I'm aware haha I don't know why though!

LF: He's going to be such a disaster on Friday, I can't wait

M: it's so cute!

M: and i'll kill any of you who tells him i said that :)

P: may, has anyone ever told you that you're a little terrifying?

M: yes :)

LF: Does that Russell guy know you have a date yet?

W: Nope! I've successfully managed to avoid him so it'll be a surprise

LF: OH this is going to be so good. Disaster Ed AND a possible fight for Winry's love?!

W: Oh god I hope there's not a fight

M: there better not be! it would ruin things!

P: or enhance them perhaps??

***

Unknown number: buy her flowers

E: uh

UN: and don't fight russell it's not dignified

E: who tf is this

UN: you might be a bit hopeless but winry should be swept off her feet! go for romance!

E: how do people keep getting my number

UN: edward i'm serious

E: so am i

E: going out on a limb, is this may

M: obviously

E: why would that be obvious

M: are you going to take my advice?

E: ugh maybe

M: good :)

E: god ur weird

M: also do not wear red, it'll clash too much with winry's dress

M: but also don't wear blue it's too matchy

E: r u giving my brother tips like these too

M: no, alphonse is much more capable of romance

E: BLOCKING YOU NOW BYE

M: you're welcome!

***

E: fuck may said i should buy flowers

A: You weren't planning on doing that?

E: YOU WERE?!

A: Yes?

E: god dammit

A: Don't worry Brother we'll get you through this

Notes:

oh hi there! happy 2024!

sorry that it's been such a long minute, i had some health issues goin on but i'm back! and healthy (mostly)! and trying to get back to writing so forgive this kind of filler, silly chapter as i try to get back into things

thank you so so SO much to everyone who read, left kudos, left comments, did anything related to this story while i was on a sort of hiatus. it seriously means a lot <3

chapter title: 'boo'd up' - ella mai feat. nicki minaj & quavo