Actions

Work Header

you're the breeze that puts my mind at ease

Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Toni practically had to drag herself through her front door. Once she closed and locked her door, she pressed her back against the frame and took in a long breath. It was Friday night and she had just returned from a very intensive practice. 

She dropped her beach bag but kept a plastic bag in her hand. 

“Josie!” She called out from her position against the door. “Are you home?” 

Josie came jogging down the stairs and made her way towards a whining Toni. 

“Why are you screaming? Are you okay?” She asked, looking at Toni’s ragged appearance. 

“Practice kicked my ass Jos. I can’t even bend down to take off my shoes.” Toni nodded between her shoes and Josie with a pleading look in her eye. Josie knew what the woman was insinuating and bent down to assist her. 

“You’re such a needy woman.” Josie said, taking off Toni’s left shoe, giggling as she heard a dramatic sigh of relief before taking off the right shoe as well. She stood up and took another look at Toni. She noticed the plastic bag in her hand. 

“What’s that?” She asked curiously. Toni lifted her body from against the door and smiled widely. 

“Hair dye! I’m going back blonde!” Toni said excitedly. 

“Girl—Oh my God! Yes!” Josie said, matching her energy. “You’re going to look so good! I can’t wait to see blonde Toni in action again.” She smirked. 

“Yea, you and me both. I’m going to shower, can you help me with the dye after?” 

“Yea girl, of course! Go get yourself cleaned up, you look a mess, respectfully.” Josie chuckled, receiving both middle fingers from Toni. 

Toni quickly showered, washing away her practice from earlier. After she washed her hair and got into some clothes that she didn’t mind the dye getting on she called Josie into the bathroom to get started on her hair. 

Josie began sectioning Toni’s hair and applying the dye while Toni scrolled through her socials. While she scrolled she received a text in the Jewelz group chat. 

Cheryl (Head Jewel): Attention Jewelz! As a reward for your hard work at practice tonight, Tab and I would like to invite you to an official Spiking Jewelz gathering this Sunday—before our big game next week! Address will be sent shortly! 

“I have to go to a gathering on Sunday, want to tag along?” Toni asked Josie, locking her phone to avoid another situation like she had encountered with Fangs. 

“Sure…Where is this gathering?” Josie asked from behind her, taking another piece of hair to be sectioned. 

“It’s going to be at one of the coaches' houses from the volleyball team. It’s like a welcoming gathering, I was told that I could invite you, Fangs and Sweet Pea. Apparently Tabitha has been asking about him.” Toni explained. 

“I’m down.” Josie said. “How does it feel knowing that Sweet Pea took your girl though?” She teased. Toni rolled her eyes wishing that Josie could see. 

“Not my girl. Seriously.” Toni stated. 

“Mhm. So what made you want to dye your hair again?” Josie asked, she had finished sectioning and applying the dye so she sat on the edge of the tub to face Toni. 

Toni took a deep breath feeling like now is a better time than ever to tell Josie what’s been going on since it was just the two of them. 

“Honestly Jos, I haven’t been feeling like myself lately.” Toni started. “I haven’t been happy with myself for a little while now.” 

Josie’s face softened and her hand immediately reached out to grab Toni’s. Toni sucked in a breath, refusing to cry. “Hey, hey—talk to me babe, what’s going on?” 

“I just—I don’t know! I don’t know. I don’t feel like myself anymore. I look in the mirror and see absolutely nothing—no spark—no fire—just nothing.” Toni breathes. Josie’s grip on her hand tightens. 

“Toni I had no idea, how long have you been feeling like this?” 

“A few weeks maybe.” Toni answered. Josie sat up and made her way into Toni’s lap and brought her into a tight embrace. 

“Josie, wait. The dye is going to get all over you!” Toni warns but Josie could care less. 

“I don’t care if it ruins my clothes Toni. Only thing I’m worried about is you. You could’ve told me you were feeling like this, you know how much I care about you.” 

Toni let herself succumb in Josie’s embrace, feeling a weight lift off her shoulders. “I know Josie and I’m sorry. I have been doing everything in the spur of the moment kind of. Like for instance, whenever I’m around—“ 

Toni stopped herself short. She didn’t want to mention how she felt around Cheryl to Josie just yet. “The volleyball team…I feel free—new even. I bought the dye because I wanted some excitement. I want to look in the mirror and be happy again.” 

“Babe, you know I’m here for you. With anything and you know this. I don’t want you to keep any more feelings or secrets from me, okay? I want to be there to help you Toni, you’re my best friend.” Josie said sincerely.

“I know Josie, I know…” Toni sighed. “There’s one more thing I should tell you.” 

“Of course. What is it?” 

“Well I went—“ Toni started but her phone rang loudly. It felt as if everytime she wanted to start this conversation there was always a distraction. She huffed and turned her phone around to see it’s a call from Fangs. She remembered telling the man that he and Sweet Pea could come over for drinks, she answered to tell them that she would have to rain check. 

“Hey Fangs—“

Antoinette Topaz!” Fangs said firmly over the phone. Both Josie and Toni looked down into the phone confused. Josie hopped off of Toni’s lap and sat back onto the tub. 

“Did I do something?” Toni asked carefully. 

I don’t know, you tell me.” 

“Okay spit it out Fangs, damn.” Toni said growing irritated. 

You joined a fucking volleyball team and told Pea before telling me?” 

Toni palmed her face, she knew it was something she forgot to do this week. “Fangs I’m so sorry, it honestly slipped my mind.” 

Sorry my ass T. When’s your next game?” 

“We haven’t had a game yet, only practice, but our first game is Tuesday.” Toni explained. “If it makes you feel any better you’re invited to go to our first gathering on Sunday—and Sweet Pea.” She tried to ease. 

The line was silent for a moment before Fangs finally spoke up, “Fine. You’re forgiven. Are we still on for tonight?” 

“Actually maybe we should rain check. I’m dying my hair—“ Toni’s eyes shot open and so did Josie’s when they realized that the dye had been resting in Toni’s hair for too long. “Shit—the dye! Gotta go Fangs, I’m probably about to go bald!” 

She hung up the phone before Fangs had a chance to respond and quickly bent herself over the sink while Josie turned on the faucet. The pair collectively rinsed the dye out of Toni’s hair and then decided to blow dry.  Once finished, Toni took a look in the mirror and gasped.

“Oh my—”

“You look damn good!” Josie added with a whistle. Toni smiled at her reflection, feeling a small sense of normality forming. She fluffed her hair one more time before pulling out her phone, she took a picture and sent it to Sweet Pea and Fangs who both responded with heart eyes.

“I look so good.” Toni said, mesmerized by herself. Josie joined behind her with a smile of her own. 

“You sure do. I’m going to shower and call it a night. Remember what I said, Toni, no more secrets.” Josie said pointedly, Toni nodded into the mirror. Josie left her alone in the bathroom to bask in her own self glory. 

Toni took one last moment to stare at herself with a wide grin. Although she didn’t get a chance to tell Josie the entire truth she felt immensely better knowing that her best friend at least knew how she’s been feeling over the past couple of weeks. She was grateful that Josie was understanding, her grandfather and Cheryl’s words seemed to be the truth. This was beginning to feel like a fresh start for the newly blonde.


“God—T! Answer your phone!” Josie whined from her lying position on the couch. It was approaching Sunday night and she was attempting to take a nap before the Jewels gathering tonight but was failing miserably due to the loud ringing of Toni’s phone on the kitchen counter. 

“Look and see who’s calling! I’m about to shower.” Toni yelled from the bathroom. Josie rolled her eyes and groaned loud enough for Toni to hear. She stretched her muscles and made her way towards the counter. 

She picked up Toni’s phone and scanned past the missed email notifications and many text messages to see two missed calls from Dr. Karina. Josie knew that Toni’s primary doctor was Dr. Frasier because she was the one who recommended that Toni go under his care. 

“Uh, Dr. Karina called?” Josie said she then heard the door to their bathroom unlock followed by Toni exiting with only a towel covering her naked body. 

“Thanks Jos.” The blonde said approaching her best friend and taking the phone from her hand. “I’ll be sure to call back.” Toni said, turning on her heels. 

“Who’s Dr. Karina?” Josie asked curiously. 

“Oh, she’s a new doctor in Frazier’s office. She probably called about refilling my migraine medication.” Toni diverted. 

“Oh okay girl, how have those been treating you?” 

“They’ve been fine. I rarely ever get them so the medicine is working.” Toni winked and quickly walked back into the bathroom, she immediately locked the door and turned on the shower faucet. 

She unlocked her phone and went to her latest voicemail. She scrolled through the pointless scam-like messages, pressed play on Dr. Karina's and brought the device up to her ear. 

Hello Ms. Topaz. This is Dr. Karina, I’ve been trying to contact you in regards to the results of your recent blood work tests.  I’d like to schedule an appointment so that we can go over some treatment plans that I think would be best. If you could call me or my assistant—Kim—to schedule an appointment that would be great.Take care.” 

Toni sighed and sat on top of the toilet seat still covered in her towel. She realized that she did purposely avoid the doctor’s call when she and Cheryl were at the beach and then missing a call again today made Toni also see that she was being unfair—especially when Dr. Karina squeezed her into her very tight schedule. The blonde scrolled down her call history until she found Kim’s number and quickly hit the dial. She assumed that since it was way past business hours that it would go straight to voicemail but she was wrong, Kim answered on the third ring. 

You’ve reached Dr. Karina’s office—this is Kim speaking.”

Hi Kim. This is Toni Topaz, I was calling because Dr. Karina wanted me to schedule another appointment to go over treatment options.” Toni said  praying that Josie couldn’t hear her. 

Ms. Topaz, fabulous! I can squeeze you in for Tuesday around 12 pm. Is that fine?”

Although Toni would rather not deal with medical problems on the day of her first game she figured it was what she had to do. She just hoped that the visit wouldn’t put a damper on her mood for the game.

“That’s perfect, I’ll be there.” Toni said finally. Kim set up the appointment and then the pair disconnected from each other’s line. Toni wanted to worry herself with the possible choices of treatment but she did not let herself succumb to overthinking. The only thing on her mind right now was making sure that she was flawless for tonight’s gathering.

After about two hours, Sweet Pea and Fangs arrived ready to party even after Toni assured the men that it wouldn’t be a wild scene like they were expecting.  The guys began to pregame by pulling out some beers from the fridge and even got Josie to do the same. Toni declined, deciding to go back to her room to get ready for the night. 

In which she did, Toni stayed locked in her room until she deemed herself perfect. It’s been a while since she and her three best friends went out and even though tonight is a gathering rather than a party she was excited to get dolled up. She sat at her vanity and applied a natural makeup look with heavy lipgloss to make her lips pop, she then parted her hair in the middle and curled each side to perfection.  

After her face and hair was made up she began to put together her outfit. Luckily tonight was one of the very cooler nights that LA had to offer. She chose to wear a pair of brown, plaid pants that fit her figure to perfection, a black crop top, her favorite boots and topped it off with a leather jacket that she hasn’t worn in years. Toni took a look at herself in her mirror, a smug grin appeared on her lips knowing that she looked good. 

After grabbing her phone, wallet and lip gloss she headed out of her room to meet her friends who have been waiting on her. Once she appeared in the kitchen where her three friends were drinking, she was attacked by whistles and catcalls. 

“Damn T! You look nice!” Fangs said.

“Girl, you’re a bad bitch!” Josie added.

“You plan on getting laid at the party or something?” Sweet Pea snickered, Toni walked over to him and punched his shoulder. 

“Thank you guys and no Pea, mind your business.” Toni said. “Are you guys still pregaming or can we head out?” She asked, trying not to sound eager. The three finished off their beers and followed Toni out of the door. 

The ride to Cheryl’s home was about 30 minutes from Toni and Josie’s house. Sweet Pea found a parking spot and they all exited the car and headed towards the house. Cheryl’s house was beautiful, it wasn’t too big nor too small and Toni could tell by her surroundings that the house had a beautiful view of the sunset. Once they approached the door Toni quickly turned around on her feet.

“Do not embarrass me.” She said firmly, mostly to Sweet Pea and Fangs.

“Dude, you play beach volleyball. Is that not embarrassing enough?” Sweet Pea retaliated but shut his mouth after receiving the look of death from Toni. Josie snickered on the side of Toni. She rang the doorbell followed by knocking on the door three times.

A moment later Tabitha swung the door open, her smile widened when she saw Toni and her friends. Music, loud conversation and laughter was heard immediately. 

“Toni! Wow—you look hot! I love the hair.” She beamed. “And Josie. Jordan...and—I’m sorry, I don’t think we’ve met before.”

“Hi, I’m Fangs.” Fangs said, extending his hand which Tabitha grabbed in her own.

“Hi Fangs, I’m Tabitha. Come on in!” She sang letting them enter the house. 

Fangs grabbed Sweet Pea’s arm before they entered, “Dude, you told her your real name?” 

Sweet Pea wiggled his arm free and shook his head, “Shut up, she’s fine as hell.” 

The house was more crowded than expected, there were the members of the Jewelz as well as their friends and/or partners. The men quickly caught up to the girls who found themselves in the kitchen with Tabitha where the drinks were. 

“So Toni, what inspired the change?” Tabitha asked from across the kitchen counter. Toni shrugged in return.

“I wanted to spice things up, I guess.” She answered, trying her best not to sound cocky. 

“Well it suits you well. Josie, you look stunning too. I may need to take some of you guys' beauty tips.” Tabitha said.

“Oh please, you’re gorgeous!” Josie complimented.

Tabitha then suddenly jumped up, “So, what’s everyone’s drink of choice? We have it all.”

“Beer.” Sweet Pea and Fangs said in unison, Toni and Josie both rolled their eyes. 

“Anything sweet for me.” Josie chimed in. Toni gazed around the room scanning the house for a certain redhead but had no luck which she found odd considering that it was her house after all. 

“Hey Tab, where’s Cheryl?” Toni asked curiously. Tabitha gave her a knowing smirk before grabbing two beers from the freezer and handing them to Sweet Pea and Fangs and then back to the counter to mix Josie’s drink. 

“She should be down here any minute now. She said that she was fixing up her makeup.” Tabitha answered, and as if on cue, Toni saw Cheryl coming down the stairs. The redhead glanced around the area before landing her eyes towards the kitchen where they almost instantly fell on Toni. Toni’s mouth went dry at the way Cheryl scanned her body. The redhead wore simple black jeans with a white ribbed shirt and for the first time, since Toni has known her, her hair was bone straight. Toni for sure knew that she was staring but could care less, Cheryl looked fantastic. 

As she approached the countertop she offered everyone a wide smile before turning towards Toni. “Toni, you look...wow.” 

“Wow yourself.” Toni rasped, unable to come up with any other words. They stared into each other's dark eyes for a moment before Toni tore her gaze away and introduced Cheryl to her friends.

“Cheryl. These are my best friends: Josie, Fangs, and Sweet Pea—” Toni cut herself short realizing her mistake, Sweet Pea practically choked on his beer and shot Toni a glare.

“Seriously?” He asked. Tabitha looked between the two.

“Sweet Pea?” She asked, trying to cover her laughter.

“It’s just some dumb nickname.” He grumbled. His cheeks turned red and he took another sip of his beer. 

“It’s okay, it fits you, surprisingly.” Tabitha reassured him with a small smile. Cheryl swallowed her laughter.

“Nice to meet you all, I’m Cheryl.”

Fangs immediately recognized the name from Toni’s phone and recalled their conversation about the certain redhead. As soon as he connected the dots he couldn’t help himself from the realization. “Oh—Cheryl.” 

Toni shot him daggers, knowing what he was referring to. Fangs quickly fixed himself up, not wanting to deal with Toni’s rage. “I’m Fangs—I like to make a dramatic introduction from time to time, don’t mind me.” He lied. Josie and Sweet Pea gave him weird looks before turning back to Cheryl who was amused by his behavior. 

“Nice to meet you Fangs.” 

“Hey Cheryl, I’m Jor—Sweet Pea, I’m Sweet Pea.” Sweet Pea introduced himself. 

“And I’m Josie. Nice to meet you.” Josie followed suit. 

Cheryl scanned the group, she noticed that everyone had been drinking except for her and Toni. “Seems as if everyone is partaking except for us, what’s your poison Topaz?”

Toni tried her best to stay coherent but the way Cheryl looked and how good her last name sounded coming from her mouth made it extremely challenging. Cheryl’s demeanor tonight is definitely not her usual chipper self, it’s more seductive—she oozed sex appeal and Toni was loving it. 

“Toni likes dark, she hates anything light.” Sweet Pea answered, causing Toni to come out of her daze. 

“Oh?” Cheryl arched an eyebrow at Toni.

“I drink light, it just depends on the type.” Toni said smoothly, never taking her eyes off of Cheryl’s as she watched her cheeks redden. Tabitha shook her head at the pair's interactions.

Cheryl walked behind the counter to where Tabitha was observing and began to mix the drinks. Toni could’ve sworn that she heard Tabitha whisper something along the lines of “Just kiss already” but she chose to ignore it. 

Cheryl walked back over to Toni handing her a drink, Toni muttered a thank you and took a rather large sip of her drink to calm her nerves. 

“Perfect.” She rasped. 

“So, let’s get acquainted with everyone, shall we?” Cheryl said to the group. Everyone nodded and made their way into the crowd. Toni ventured off by herself and began talking to some women who she would make small talk with during practice. Fangs and Sweet Pea got into a serious conversation about cars with some of the guys and Josie found herself conversing with a girl who also shared an interest in music. 

Tabitha and Cheryl were amazing party hosts, they worked the room making sure that no one was left out of conversation and even shared some old college stories. After a while, Toni noticed Sweet Pea and Tabitha gravitate towards each other and began a conversation and watched from afar while Josie and Fangs high-five each other as if it was their doing. She excused herself from the small group that she was in to go into the kitchen to make another drink. She quickly found a bottle that she hoped to be the same bottle that Cheryl used and refilled her cup. She took a sip and her face scrunched in disgust, it was definitely not what she had just been drinking. 

“It’s the bottle to the left.” A voice said behind her with a small chuckle. Toni turned around to see an amused Cheryl. “Let me make you another one.” 

Toni handed Cheryl her cup and watched as she began to mix the correct drink. 

“You have a beautiful home Cheryl.” Toni said. 

“Thank you very much Toni.” The redhead responded, handing the glass to Toni. “It’s much tidier but like I’ve said before, my niece, nephew and their mom are currently living with me.” 

“Where are they by the way?” 

“They’re visiting my parents, so I’ve had the weekend alone.” Cheryl informed. She quickly made herself a drink. “Want to see my favorite part of the house?” 

Toni blinked, “Lead the way.”

Cheryl grabbed ahold of Toni’s hand and led them towards the staircase. Toni didn’t know what to expect or where Cheryl was leading her to, all she knew was that her heart was racing and her palms were sweating. They made it to the top of the staircase, the redhead let go of her grasp on Toni’s hand and opened the first door on her left. 

“Cheryl?” Toni was skeptical, not that she was scared but more so curious. 

“We’re almost there.” Cheryl answered. 

Toni followed Cheryl through the dark room which she supposed was a bedroom. She heard the sound of a sliding door open before she felt the cool breeze of the air. Cheryl grabbed Toni’s hand once more and led outside onto a balcony. Once Cheryl found the lightswitch, the balcony lit up. Fairy lights were strung across the metal barrier. The sky seemed so close and endless from where they were standing.

“Wow. This is amazing.” Toni breathed, walking closer to the edge of the balcony where she leaned her arms against the metal. Cheryl nodded and followed Toni, settling in close to her. 

“That’s why this is my favorite. I come out here almost every night.”

Toni stared at the stars and enjoyed the breeze on cheeks. “I guess the one thing about LA is that the nights are amazing.” Toni spoke, still entranced by the sky. 

“They are. One time, I fell asleep out here and woke up to my niece crying in my bedroom because she thought that I ran away from her and her brother.” Cheryl recalled with a chuckle. 

“She sounds like she really loves her Aunt Cheryl.” Toni giggled.

Cheryl scoffed, “As if they would call me Aunt Cheryl, they’ve come to the conclusion that my name sounds old and boring, so they refer to me as Auntie Cherry now.”

“Gotta love kids who take action into their own hands.” Toni smirked, “Thank you for bringing me up here, it’s beautiful.” Toni’s gaze never left the night’s sky while Cheryl’s gaze was boring into her side profile.

“Yea, it is.” The redhead whispered. “How are you enjoying mingling with some of the other Jewelz so far?” 

Toni turned to face Cheryl now. “Honestly? I’m having a really great time. I’m pretty sure the boys have decided to go to the next car show with some of the guys and Sonya and I are definitely going to hang out one of these days.” Cheryl playfully rolled her eyes and took a sip of her drink. “Don’t worry bombshell, I’ll still make time for our beach days.”

Cheryl’s cheeks flushed red at the new nickname, so did Toni’s. “Bombshell?”

“Did I just say that out loud?” Toni asked in disbelief at herself, Cheryl laughed uncontrollably and nodded her head. “You know, like seashell but bombshell because you’re the bomb. Saying it out loud is so corny, ugh.” Toni groaned.

Bombshell. I like it.” Cheryl admitted with a soft smile, “I’ve been called Head Jewel, beach babe, and now bombshell. I need a nickname for you now, don’t you think?”

Toni smirked, “Hey! I thought I was your beach boo?”

“Anyways,” Cheryl dismissed sarcastically, “Toni Topaz...TT.”

Toni practically died in laughter at the ridiculousness, “You can’t be serious. TT?”

“What’s so bad about it? It fits you. It sounds...Petite.” Cheryl reasoned.

“You love using my height against me.” 

“It’s funny and cute.” Cheryl shrugged.

“So you think that I’m cute?” Toni challenged. 

“Gotta get a few more drinks in me before I’ll admit such a thing Toni.” Cheryl challenged back with a smirk of her own. Toni stepped a little closer to the redhead falling into the noise of her breath hitching. 

“I like it better when you call me Topaz.”

“I think that your new look has introduced me to a Toni that I’ve never seen before.” The redhead responded, daring to take a bold step closer. 

Toni bit her glossed lips and stood her ground, she felt her confidence skyrocket all of a sudden. “So now that you know my excuse for the change of mood tonight, tell me bombshell , what’s yours?” She said just above a seductive whisper. She watched as Cheryl gripped the metal barrier in her hand for stability. 

Cheryl was about to rebuttal but the sounds of the sliding glass door opening distracted her. Both girls backed away from each other and cleared their throats upon seeing Tabitha step onto the balcony. 

“There you guys are!” Tabitha was relieved. “Some of the girls found your old Wii still hooked up and wanted to know if they could play.”

Toni’s attitude transformed from sexy into pure geek upon hearing that Cheryl still had one of her favorite gaming systems. “Oh my God. You still have a Wii? Please tell me you have Just Dance.” 

Cheryl shook her head at the sudden change of aura and laughed breathily. “Yes I do, I’m kind of…nostalgic.” 

With her free hand, Toni tugged on Cheryl's arm and quickly led them downstairs into the living where everyone surrounded the giant television. Cheryl dug through her tote of games easily finding Just Dance 4. She popped it in and handed Toni a Wii remote before trying to back away.

“Uh huh, you’re dancing with me.” Toni said, raising her eyebrow at Cheryl, the entire Jewelz team began to howl and cheer for Cheryl to join Toni for a dance. 

“Fine! If I embarrass myself you all will have Toni to blame for the hell we’ll go through during our next practice.” Cheryl joked, receiving an abundance of laughs. Toni scrolled the songs before finally settling on Moves Like Jagger. She took off her leather jacket and sat it somewhere on the nearest couch. The crowd cleared space for the two women to take their stance. 

The song began and the girls hit their first move on cue with the animated man on the screen. The Jewelz whistled and cheered, amping the girls on. The song began to progress and Toni found herself truly having a good time, she felt so free. She looked over Cheryl who also was enjoying herself, laughter falling from her mouth with every move she made. Toni was having so much fun that she forgot that she was surrounded by people and got completely lost in her dancing with Cheryl. 

Josie, Sweet Pea, and Fangs watched the scene from afar in awe. They couldn’t remember the last time Toni laughed and smiled so much around another person. 

“Jos…I think we’ve had it wrong the whole time. Toni’s definitely into the redhead.” Sweet Pea said with his eyes still fixated on the dancing duo. 

Josie nods absently still watching the pair as well. “Red is definitely into her too.” 

“They’re into each other.” Fangs added. 

“Into each other and don’t even care to hide it.” A voice, Tabitha, added from the side of them. They all turned their heads to her with a grin. 

“Are they like this in practice?” Josie asked, nodding her head towards Toni and Cheryl dancing their hearts away. 

“Not totally like this but Cher just couldn’t stop talking about how great Toni is.” Tabitha vaguely explained. 

“I've heard a little of the same from Toni.” Fangs said, Josie and Sweet Pea snapped their necks wondering how he knew about Cheryl  before they did. The man shrugged his shoulders and threw his hands up in defense. 

“Hey, eavesdrop when she’s on her phone and you’ll know all the answers.” He answered. Tabitha laughed and shook her head. 

The dance had finally finished and both Cheryl and Toni were equally out of breath. After passing the remotes off to some of the other teammates, the pair walked back to their group of friends who tried to act normal upon their appearance. 

“So.” Cheryl said to the group, trying to catch her breath. 

“How’d we do?” Toni asked, doing the same. 

“Great!” The group said in unison, doing a terrible job at hiding the fact that they were just discussing the pair.


The gathering continued for a few more hours. After a while some of the teammates began to bid their goodbyes and make their exits. After making sure that Cheryl and Tabitha didn’t need any assistance cleaning up, Toni gathered her best friends and prepared to leave. Cheryl and Tabitha walked with them, Josie and Fangs headed towards the car after saying their goodbyes while Tabitha stayed with Sweet Pea in the lawn so that they could talk a little more. Toni and Cheryl stood under the threshold.

“Seems like our best friends have a thing for each other.” Cheryl said after nodding towards the pair. Toni smiled watching Sweet Pea turn into a ball of mush for Tabitha.

“Seems like it.” Toni said, turning her attention back towards the redhead. “I had fun tonight.”

“So did I. You’re a great dancer.” Cheryl pointed out. Toni waved her off and nervously kicked her boots against the concrete.

“I just had a great dance partner.” Toni shrugged.

“You flatter me.” Cheryl said, trying to keep the redness from reaching her cheeks.

“So I’ve heard.” The blonde said softly. “We should do this again. Maybe all of us can hang out one of these days—you know—since we all get along so well.”

And because I love seeing you.

“I would love that. Only if you promise that I can see those moves again.”

“Trust me, I have way more than where that came from, bombshell.” Toni rasped. 

“I’m holding you to that, TT.” Cheryl smirked. Tabitha approached the pair which let Toni know that her conversation with Sweet Pea was over. 

“I was just telling Cheryl that we all should hang out again.” Toni told Tabitha who smiled widely.

“I would love that! You have our numbers, just let us know a time and a place.” Tabitha said.

“Will do. Well, I enjoyed myself tonight. I’ll see you ladies on Tuesday for the game.” Toni said.

“Same here, bye Toni!” Tabitha said before entering the house leaving the pair alone once more. 

“Bye Toni, text me if you go to the beach before Tuesday and want some company.” Cheryl said shyly. 

“I will. Goodnight Cheryl.” Toni felt as if she was floating on cloud nine. Cheryl nodded and went into her house, softly closing her front door. Toni let out a breath knowing that she was about to be faced with the third degree burn from her friends. When she turned around she saw Sweet Pea holding back a giggle, she walked towards him and rolled her eyes.

“Dude, if you would’ve told me that you were crushing on a hot redhead I wouldn’t have given you shit about joining a volleyball team.” The taller man said through his giggles. 

“Shut up, you still would’ve given me a hard time…She is hot though, right?” Toni asked with a smirk, knowing the answer to her question already.

“Woohoo! Tiny T back into her hot women bag!” Sweet exclaimed as the pair walked towards his car. Toni swatted him away.

“How bad do you think it’ll be on the ride back?” Toni asked curiously. 

“Oh, they’re definitely going to be on your ass. So be prepared.” Sweet Pea laughed. 

Toni groaned before taking one last glance back at Cheryl's house, unbeknownst to the fact that the redhead was suffering the same taunting that she was about to endure. 

Notes:

Toni’s making baby steps. How are we feeling? Lmk in the comments, also, i changed my @ on twitter to @topaztrophe now lol. As always, thanks for reading!