Actions

Work Header

Scarlet Spider: Sin

Chapter 5: P1 - Chapter #4: Home Sweet Home

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Alright, here we are, Kaine," Richard stopped the car at a drop-off/pick-up site close to his nephew's home.

Kaine still remained bitter after what he had seen. However, he couldn't just show that to Peter and his parents. So he put up a smile as politely as possible, thanking everyone, before opening the passenger door and headed out with his school backpack. As he was about to close the door, his eyes met with Peter's for a moment. The older brunet was caught off-guard with his cousin's sympathetic and knowing look. His smile faded out, replaced with an inaudible sigh. He immediately looked away and closed the door.

The younger Parker moved his eyes to his passenger window and rested his head against it, looking out as his father started the car and began driving home, which was just a few blocks away. The teenager stared out blankly, while thinking of the bitter look he had seen from Kaine. That bitterness wasn't new... There were pain and anger from the past decade. Pain and anger he had known for a long, long time. And he remembered the moments when his cousin would cry and open up to him about his problems... Peter closed his eyes, deep down feeling sorry for Kaine. But he couldn't change anything about that.

Meanwhile, the buzzcut teenager walked into the lobby of the five-story apartment before him: his home. He pressed the "Up" elevator button and its doors slid open, revealing an empty, reflective, and monotonous room. He stepped inside and pressed the "4" button, closing the elevator doors and it began to move up. The teen let out a yawn, at least he was finally home.

Minutes later, the elevator opened and Kaine stepped out. There was a hall in front of him, with some of his neighbours going in and some out, minding their own business. He suddenly felt nervous, dreading that he might be asked by a neighbour that he didn't even know. The brunet put on his hoodie and walked fast to his suite, hoping that anyone would just ignore him. Luckily, he made it inside and no one asked him on the way. 

"Mom, I'm home."

There was no reply.

The teenager walked to the dining room and found his mother sleeping while sitting on the dining chair and her head resting on the table, and holding her phone. Her face was slightly covered by strands of her brunette hair, with some were greying. He could hear her mumbling something but he couldn't make out some of the words.

"Supplies... Should... get more... supplies..."

He frowned his eyes, not understanding what she was talking about. The young man carefully put his hand on her shoulder and tapped gently, "Mom..? Wake up, Mom."

The woman, who was in her early 40s, slowly opened her eyes and yawned. The weariness reflected on her eyes, made her son concerned. She was confused for a second, then realization hit her that she had fallen asleep. The mother, May Parker, turned her eyes to Kaine and smiled, "Hey, Candy Cane. How was school?"

That nickname made him lose it, unable to giggle controllably. "Really, Mom? That nickname was like when I was a small boy."

The two laughed together.

"Well, school was fine," he replied while regaining himself after laughing, "What was that about, Mom? You were mumbling about getting supplies?"

She paused for a moment, "It... There is a problem in the homeless shelter I work at. The supplies are running low, so I had to talk with some people to get more supplies. But... I fell asleep."

Kaine sighed and squeezed her shoulder gently, "Mom, you need rest. Don't overwork yourself."

"I can't, little candy... There are things I have to manage. And we know that your father is outside of town, still handling stuff and employees. We need to keep working just so we can make a living."

After hearing those words, he removed his hand, slowly closing into a fist. The concerned look on his face changed into a bitter one, "We are like this... because of him. Because of that goddamn-"

"Kaine..." May spoke to her son in a voice that sounded tired but with a hint of patience, as if she had heard it thousand times.

"He was, is the reason behind our suffering. Why can't he just di-"

"Kaine."

The fist tightened, "That son of a bitch should've just-"

"Kaine, enough!" She yelled, trying to stop her son, but to no avail.

"What, Mom? How is it enough for me?! He's just a terrible father to me-"

"He's changed for the better," the adult reminded her son with a stern tone.

"Yet, he's a painful reminder of his goddamn flaws, Mom!" he fired back.

"Why do you still dwell in the past, Kaine..?" she questioned.

"Because I'm constantly reminded of how perfect Peter and his family are!" the teen snapped. Seconds later however, he looked down regretfully after shouting at his mother... "I'm sorry... It's just... Whenever things are fine and then suddenly I'm reminded of- of how he became worse after he got wronged in his old job, I can't help myself but hate him, Mom. Like, I lost the good father I once knew. And seeing uncle Richard with Peter, really reminds me of that everytime. The feelings are still deep inside, I don't know what to do, Mom. I don't know..."

The brunette put her phone on the table and got out of her chair, standing opposite of her son. She pulled him into her embrace, as he started to sob. Being in her embrace felt... easier and warm, like the pain was lessened. "I can understand that, Kaine... It's unpleasant. But we can't keep on dwelling on the past. This life, this reality... The truth...is harsh."

She stroked his hair gently, "There are some things we can't and couldn't choose in life. However, no matter how painful and harsh the truth is, we can't let the past control us. We just need to learn to forgive one another, accept the reality, and move on before it's too late, okay..?"

The son couldn't say anything. Both his heart and mind were hard as stone, as they both screamed in refusal. His ears were itching, wanting a satisfying answer, but instead they got the harsh truth–the truth he wasn't willing to accept for thousand times. He sighed, as he just couldn't accept it... yet.

"Mom... I think I need some time alone..."

May released Kaine from her embrace, who started walking toward his bedroom. Before that, she caught that look in his eyes–a look she recognized, full of refusal and unwillingness. The brunette woman covered her eyes with her hand and sobbed, as she had done all she could to help her son but things wouldn't still change, he wouldn't.

---

(Kaine's bedroom...)

Inside his bedroom, which was filled with posters of villains and antiheroes–and interestingly, a poster of a prince split between his original self and darker one. Kaine was laying on the bed, his eyes on the ceiling, looking emptily... not even blinking. Tears were trickling down across his cheeks. And in his mind, he asked himself repeatedly...

"Why wouldn't this stop..? Why is Peter perfect...? WHY DO I HAVE SUCH IMPERFECT FATHER?!"

The teenager opened his mouth, about to let out a rage-fueled scream out... But he hesitated at the last moment, as if he just... couldn't let it out.

His smartphone, next to his glasses on his desk nearby, buzzed, catching the brunet's attention. He got up and sat on the side of his bed, with his hand reaching for the phone. When he brought it in front of him, he realized he got a notification of a message from his cousin, which prompted him to enter the chatbox.

Hey, Coz... I'm here... I saw something was off, so I just want to be here for you. If you wanna talk about it, you can let it out on me. I don't want you to be burdened, Kaine.

Seeing the person who reminded him of flawed his life was, the teen sighed and quickly typed something...

Thanks, P. But I'll be fine.

Okay... Kaine, please take care. And if you need me, don't hesitate. Because I'll be here for you.

Somehow, it made him feel bad for rejecting Peter's help. But on the other side, he just didn't want to be reminded by Peter's presence. Everything was just... too much and confusing for him. Kaine then lied down on his bed, rested his head against his head pillow, took his hug pillow to his hands, and stayed quiet for a few moments. He buried his face on the pillow and let out a muffled scream - a painful one, filled with sorrow - continuously, not even stopping. He screamed as he cried, his tears soaking the pillow. Slowly... Bit by bit... the sorrowful scream of the young man quieted down, replaced by inaudible mumblings as Kaine drifted to his sleep...


- TO BE CONTINUED IN PART TWO -

Notes:

That concludes Part One! You got to know who Kaine is, along with other characters. But ride is not over yet, readers. Kaine's (and Peter's) lives are going to change in Chapter Five. Part Two will be in writing soon and perhaps will be posted somewhere during May. I already know how things will go for the characters and how long Part Two will be (probably six to seven chapters). Anyway, thank you for reading this, y'all! Let me know about your thoughts regarding Part One and this chapter in the comment section below. Feel free to vote and share this with your friends and family too :) I hope you have a good day! Au revoir! :D