Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 11 of The Luckyblogger Alya Césaire: Journaling Miraculous Arcane/Occult Events For The Luckyblog
Stats:
Published:
2021-04-10
Updated:
2021-04-13
Words:
6,995
Chapters:
2/?
Comments:
2
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
444

(I Know) How I Spent My All Saints' Break

Summary:

Marinette and Alix have their two-week-off break from school down to a list and exact science; the science is mostly entirely on Marinette's part. Nevertheless, no school means: relaxation, sleeping in, helping out with the boulangerie pâtissèrie, hanging out with friends, and whatever else can be fit into a two-week schedule...

...Like dealing with f-[redacted] akumas.

It may be a break from school, but that evidently doesn't mean Mme. Mite is having her akumas take a break from terrorizing the city.

But worst of all... is dealing with Sabrina Raincomprix. Because while akumas can be magic-ed away, a regular ol', non-magical, human annoyance, can not. And Sabrina is determined to be the biggest annoyance imaginable as circumstances force her to prove to Paris (and herself) she is more than just a certain blonde's shadow and yes-woman.

Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Miraculous Ladybug nor do I make money from writing fanfiction

A/N: Um, if memory serves... this takes place between chapters seven and eight; and well, not this chapter, but a chapter will take place in between "Revenge Is A Platter Best Served Deep Fried & Twice Baked" and another will take place in between "That Obligatory Kwami Swap Story/Chapter"

So while the majority of All Saints' Break is in this story, several days will get their own individual chapter like "That Obligatory Kwami Swap Story/Chapter" being November 15th and "Revenge Is A Platter Best Served Deep Fried & Twice Baked" being November 11th.

One last thing, the days will not be posted in chronological order

Chapter 1: Sunday, November 1st, 2020

Summary:

It's the first of November...

Notes:

Takes place directly after chapter seven (which I realized I have not posted yet)

Chapter Text

Sun, Nov. 1st, 2020

Schedule For All Saints’ Break (Nov 1 – Nov 16):
Sun, Nov 1: shopping midday, rest of the day help out with the boulangerie pâtissèrie
Mon, Nov 2: indoor swimming... thing? with Kim @ 6; work on finishing touches for Karma themed outfit contest
Tues, Nov 3: kitty section band practice @ 4 then sleepover at Juleka’s
Wed, Nov 4: blackberry clobber practice @ ?? [need to call/text Mme. Hombee for time beforehand]
Thurs, Nov 5: Macarel Movie Marathon – All Day!
Fri, Nov 6: Jagged Stone watch party for latest music video @ 9:30 on Liberty; match against grape jab moved up to 3:15
Sat, Nov 7: art contest @ noon – gotta cheer on Nathaniel; Karma themed outfit contest due @ 2:30 [bring piece to Le Grand Paris], match against lemon uppercut @ 7
Sun, Nov 8:
P-A-R-T-A-Y~
Mon, Nov 9 – go to carnival~; sign up for leggendary gaming tournament
Tues, Nov 10: blackberry clobber practice @ 2 with raspberry chocolate scuffle; also trade deadline
Wed, Nov 11: Jalil’s birthday. Ew. free space – do whatever. Maybe go to carnival again?
Thurs, Nov 12:
free xl soft drink coupon expires, use it; fabric shopping
Fri, Nov 13: uh-oh. Match against raspberry chocolate scuffle @ 1:30
Sat, Nov 14: new season of krakeling buster comes out, download update
Sun, Nov 15: free space – do whatever
Mon, Nov 16: that professeur whatever day which gives us an extra day of no school. Go back to carnival – if still around


Marinette slowly awakens from sleep and she yawns staring blearily at the ceiling. “Ooh!” She awakens fully then sits up, “it’s shopping day!” She leans over Alix’s sleeping body to grab her phone then confirm the date. “Yup. Shopping day~” She rolls off her side of the bed and Alix doesn’t even stir.


Plagg yawns as he floats off the pillow Marinette got up from then floats over to his holder who is now standing in her closet humming to herself, “Kit, you don’t even get up this energetic for school.” Plagg pauses, “not that I can blame you. Still... What’s so special about this ‘shopping day?’ You’ve been going on about it since last night.”


“'Shopping day' is when we start getting the ingredients to make winter pâtissèries. We don’t go the pumpkin route fortunately but with the weather getting colder we make our food warmer.” Making a noise of triumph, Marinette pulls out a black sweatshirt, “now we’re in business.” With a yawn, Fluff floats off the nightstand then floats over to Plagg and Marinette. The blue-haired teen pulls out a pair of light blue jeans from her closet.


Fluff eyes Marinette. “You’re excited about making pâtissèries?”


“Yeah. Why shouldn’t I be? My parents work hard and love what they do. I love seeing them so happy! Plus, baking is fun. Not to mention therapeutic sometimes. Besides, I get to learn about my parents' cultures through their baking. Papai makes bolo rei and māmā makes mooncakes. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water.”


“But you can’t eat bread!” Fluff blurts out then covers their mouth.


Marinette turns to the kwami, “I can eat bread. It just has to be free of gluten. My parents have tons of alternate ingredients to substitute.” She pauses, “it does make me feel a little guilty they have to go out of their way to make—” Plagg hits Marinette on the head, “—oww!” She rubs her head.


“You were born unable to eat gluten. That is something out of your control. Out of your parents’ control. You have this really bad habit of beating yourself up, Kit. Especially when it’s about things you can’t change. Besides, your folks are super creative and I doubt they find this a hindrance in any way.”


“I—” She glances at Fluff, “are you alright?” Moving their paws, Fluff nods. Marinette and Plagg exchange a look as Fluff floats back over to the nightstand plops back down on it.


After taking a shower, Marinette ventures downstairs. “Morning, papai!”


“Morning Curly Fries!” Marinette walks over and hugs him. “I swear, you’ll grow taller than me as soon as I blink! Alix is asleep?” Marinette nods, “okay. Let’s make her a special breakfast. There’s nothing more I want in life than to have my daughters happy.” Marinette smiles at him then lets go.


“Let’s make little blackberry pancakes shaped like rollerskates!”


“Excellent idea!” Marinette laughs as her father peppers kisses along her forehead.


“I can’t wait to go shopping for winter ingredients.”


“Neither can I! The market begins selling rutabagas again.” Marinette sticks out her tongue in disgust and Tom mock gasps, “rutabaga slander?! Not in this boulangerie pâtissèrie!” Marinette laughs.


“Papai, you don’t even like rutabagas.”


“Well, no. But Mayor Bourgeois does and he orders these disgusting rutabaga-infused loaves of bread every November. God only knows why.”


Marinette tilts her head to the right, “is that something you can even do?”


“Evidently you can. Or rather, Sabine can. But that’s only natural. Sabine makes the best creations.” Tom smiles at her, “not just with food either.”


“Wrong, papai. You and mãe together make the best creations.”


Tom hugs her, “I have the best daughters in the world.”


Tom and Marinette lapse into a comfortable silence as they work on breakfast and preparations for the boulangerie pâtissèrie.


Sabine comes into the kitchen yawning. “Tom, I told you to wake me up.” She lets out an honest-to-goodness whine that has Marinette giggle. “Well hello there, Stranger. Haven’t seen much of you around lately.”


Marinette walks over to Sabine putting her head on her mother’s shoulders, “sorry māmā.”


“Oh come now! I didn’t say that to upset you.” Sabine holds her at arm's length and smiles, “I understand you’re very busy.”


“Y-You do?”


“Of course I do! I’m your māmā, Tángguǒ. The life of a talented fashion designer can be hectic.” Marinette ducks her head as she blushes, “how is your Karma outfit coming along?”


“It’s... getting there.”


“What’s wrong? You were raring to go for the Lady Luck—” Tom pauses, “oh.” Sabine and Marinette turn to him. He chuckles, “sorry. I was just thinking maybe you like Lady Luck more than Karma, which was why you were so excited to do the first contest but not as gung-ho for this one.”


Sabine lets go of Marinette, “maybe you need a break? That usually helps when you’re so focused on working on something. Sometimes you need to take a step back and look at it with fresh eyes.”


Marinette’s head snaps up, “eyes...?” She gasps, “eyes! That’s it! Thank you, māmā! Thank you!” She squeals kissing Sabine on the cheek, “I’ll be right back!” Then she runs up the stairs.


“Or you can just find your inspiration talking to your parents?” Tom says with a shrug, “we are pretty great.” Sabine nods in agreement.


Marinette barrels into the room and slides into her desk taking out her sketchbook and laughing quietly albeit just a little maniacal to herself, “excellent.” She whispers, “excellent.”


📗


After Alix wakes up, the four of them close the shop then head to the market.


“Kagami!” Alix yells skating over to the girl. Marinette does a double-take as Alix skates off.


“What’s wrong, Buttercup?” Sabine asks, “you don’t know that girl too?”


“Not... as well as Alix does. I only spoke to her once. She seems nice enough.”


“She’s very beautiful.” Marinette squawks as Sabine muses. “Oh! You know what we need? More flour.” Sabine gives Marinette a gentle shove in Alix’s direction.


Māmā—”


“Flour, Marinette.” Sighing, Marinette nods then walks over to Alix. Sabine chuckles.


Time seems to slow down as Marinette approaches, Kagami throws her head back in a laugh. She has pink strawberry clips in her hair, so her hair isn’t styled in its usual bangs, and her hair is tied in a ponytail. Damn. She’s beautiful. Okay, Marinette. You can deal with this. Oh. But why did she have to be so unforgivably pretty? “H-Hey.” She chirps when she finds herself in front of Kagami and Alix.


“Hello.” Kagami greets with a smile. Marinette’s heart thumps a bit harder than usual at the smile. It’s ...It’s stunning. Over Kagami’s pink earrings is a pink behind-the-ear hearing aid.


Kagami’s inner shirt is also pink. “I love your hairclips.”


Kagami smiles, “thank you. A... A friend recommended them to me.”


“Kagami! Oh, there you are.” Either Alix is testing her time powers, or Marinette is caught in some kind of selective loop. A girl with long dark blue hair runs over to the trio putting an arm around Kagami’s shoulder. “Oh! Hey there. I’m Fei.”


“Alix and that’s Marinette. I saw a picture of you at the sleepover.”


Kagami tilts her head to the left, “sleepover? You mean Juleka's sleepover?”


“I musta accidentally got a picture from Juleka’s sleepover yesterday. I saw you two along with Alya, Juleka, and Jessica having a pillow fort pillow fight.”


Fei chuckles, “that was good. I’m in Kagami’s class and starting Tuesday, I’m gonna be on blackberry clobber’s roster. I’m being traded from grape jab. The team is way too passive and I practiced with lemon uppercut but they were way too aggressive. I asked around and they said blackberry was the perfect combo of both.”


“The only aggressive part of blackberry clobber is Alix.” Marinette says.


“I’m not aggressive, I’m powerful.” She sticks her tongue out at Marinette.


“That was another reason I wanted to come to blackberry. I’ve seen you skate, Alix. You’re amazing. Do you think you can give me some pointers?”


“Sure. Ooh. You know what? You should come to Liberty Tuesday. The band I’m in is having a practice then a sleepover. I can give you directions.”


“I’ll be there.” She gives them a thumbs up, “sorry to cut this short but we’re cruising markets today. Nice officially meeting you both.”


“You too. And nice seeing you again, Kagami.”


Kagami nods, “and you two as well. Until next time.” With Fei’s arm still around Kagami, they both begin walking away.


“Māmā said we need to get flour.”


Alix takes out her phone, “let’s see all the varieties of gluten-free flour they have here.”


📗


Twelve different bags of an assortment of gluten-free flour later, the boulangerie pâtissèrie opens for the day.


The first customer is a timid Sabrina who looks around fidgeting. “Oh! Good morning.” Tom greets, eyeing the teen warily.


“G-Good morning.” She walks over to the counter, “m-may I have a dozen of your coffee and caramel macarons please?”


“Coffee and caramel or coffee caramel? Because we have coffee individually, caramel individually, and coffee and caramel blended together.”


Sabrina blinks at the man, “um... the coffee blended with caramel, please. I need the caffeine boost.”


“Is something troubling you? I may not be a bartender but people do tell their local pâtissèrie secrets they often wouldn’t share with others.”


Sabrina raises an eyebrow, “then what do you do with these so-called secrets?”


“Kneed them in dough. They’ll never get out.”


Sabrina smiles a bit, “I did something terrible and I did it by accident.” She sighs, “I was...” She clears her throat, “you know. I mean you have a daughter.”


Tom’s eyes widen considerably, “oh. O-Okay, continue.”


“So, I-I ruined one of Chloé’s pyjama bottoms. N-Not with blood, b-but with sparkling grape juice!” Tom blinks at her. “I felt my stomach...” She clears her throat, “lurching so I got up and ran to the bathroom. I tripped over a cup of juice. T-The stain! Even being washed professionally the pants have a giant reddish-purple blotch on the left leg!” She sobs. “The pyjamas were silk, M. Dupain. Silk!”


“I-I don’t know anything about silk. Other than the fact that it is soft to the touch. But I’m certain Chloé will forgive you.” Sabrina pouts, “oh. So you came here with apology macarons in mind?” The orange-haired teen nods slowly. “Yeah. I think they’ll work. But if you really want Chloé to forget altogether might I suggest the saffron-infused profiteroles? We made it at her request. She said she wanted the most expensive ingredients in a pâtissèrie and thus we started using saffron in things.”


“I’ll take a dozen!” Sabrina pulls out her wallet, “papa just got paid and gave me my allowance for the week so I should have enough...” Sabrina’s jaw drops as Tom rings up the total on the register, “yikes!”


“Saffron is expensive.”


Sabrina looks at the total then sighs again, “h-how about just one of the saffron thingies?”


Alix comes down the stairs into the shop, “what the hell is she doing here?”


“I’m a customer.” Sabrina replies with a huff. “What does it look like?”


“We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. And I’m not too keen on accepting payment from thieves!”


“I’m not a thief!”


“That’s bull! You stole Marc’s poem and entered it into Clara Nightingale’s contest! As if you could write with half Marc's talent!” Sabrina backs up as Alix stomps toward her, “plus, you and your step-sister were gossiping about our special plays because you aren’t good enough to do them. You’re a thief and a coward! I don’t care how much you’re willing to spend! You’re not welcome here!”


“W-What gives you the right to talk to me like this?”


“I live here so I’m an employee too. Now get out! And one more thing, you’re getting traded.” Sabrina gasps, “now you and your new sister can get closer!” Alix shoves Sabrina out the door then walks over to the counter sighing.


“You’re not alright. That part is obvious. I know how passionate you are and how little tolerance you have for thievery.” Alix grimaces, “I know you’re not ready to talk but I want you to vent your frustrations. You’re a sigh away from attracting an akuma. Come and help me kneed some dough?” Alix looks up at Tom then nods.


Meanwhile outside, Sabrina balls up her fists. Trading her? Without letting her know? Just when she was starting to like—hanging out with Alix? No! She shakes herself and takes a deep breath. She is not willing to play victim to another akuma. No. She’ll do something a bit more ...constructive.


📗

 

Marc buries his hands in his face, “I-She thinks I think she’s a freak! Nothing could be further from the truth! Alix is the best person I’ve ever met. I-I just don’t understand how she doesn’t believe in love.”


“It’s not your job to analyze Alix not liking something that you like.” Vinh says pouring a cup of tea. “Alix is the best person I’ve ever met. She’s strong, open-minded, affectionate, a tiny ol' goofball of mass destruction. So what if she’s possibly aromantic? That doesn’t make her any less awesome. And you—” She slaps Kim upside his head, “you should’ve said something! Or do you believe she’s a freak too?”


“N-Not a freak. At least not because of that, but...” Kim sighs, “come on Vinh. It’s a bit weird and what was that word you said?”


“Aromantic. It means when someone has no romantic attraction. I looked it up a while ago.” Kim and Marc exchange a glance. “You two need to apologize to Alix. Promptly.”


“She’s not taking my calls.” Kim sighs out.


“Mine either.” Marc says with a frown, “not that she should. I felt terrible. But I can’t change how I feel and I think Alix being aromantic is... unnatural.”


“Alright. Let me put it this way. You’re just minding your business when someone yells at you and says being genderfluid is unnatural. Being gay is unnatural.” Marc blinks at her, “hurts, doesn’t it? Alix may be everyone’s rock but she has feelings herself. Being an aromantic doesn’t mean she’s some unfeeling robot because she can’t perceive romance. Romance is just one feeling people have or don’t have. And she don’t got it. Get it?”


Marc hangs his head, “yes, I’m sorry. And I know it’s not you... I should be apologizing to.”


“Alix is staying at Marinette’s now. We could always go order some food then ask to see her?”


“I’d rather not get kicked out of the boulangerie pâtissèrie.” Marc lifts his head, “but we can call Marinette?”


“Tried. Not taking my calls either. Our only option is going to the boulangerie pâtissèrie.”


Marc sighs heavily, “okay.”


📗


Sabrina came home to an empty apartment with her father’s scrawl saying he left money in the jar for her to order food. Grimacing, Sabrina looks at the bare refrigerator then shuts it with a sigh.


She’s gonna get traded! She harmonized with blackberry clobber for two months! To trade her because of something she did outside the skating rink is unfair.


When her phone buzzes with a text, Sabrina sucks in a breath. A mass text from Alix to the rest of blackberry clobber stating she’s gonna get traded before the trade deadline next week. And a subsequent text turns into subsequent texts from the five other teams inviting her to join their group chat.


“This isn’t fair!” Sabrina kicks one of the kitchen table chairs. “Who does Alix think she is?” She gasps, “no. No anger Sabrina. I don’t wanna fight with Karma or Lady Luck.” She takes a deep breath then paces the kitchen floor. “Besides, I still hear Madame Mite in my nightmares.” She glances at the television then runs over to it turning it on.


This is Nadja Chamack live reporting from the Louvre where the... quirky Jalil Kubdel has been possessed by an akuma—” The television shorts out. Groaning, Sabrina smacks the side of the television then the screen returns. “This is Nadja Chamack reporting live from the Louvre where Lady Luck and Karma are dancing with Xavier Ramier who has been possessed by an akuma, once again, making him – to our knowledge – the second person to do this after Chloé Bourgeois last week.


“Wait a second! That’s not what the news said before it glitched!” Sabrina smacks the side of the television again but nothing happens.


Unlike the second possession of Mlle. Bourgeois, which was the first time eyewitnesses and our very own future junior intern and luckyblogger Alya Césaire announced that more than one person can be possessed at a time provided they are all touching one another or the afflicted item. Now, M. Ramier was turned into M. Pigeon – again and... more or less for the same reason. Mistreatment of the city’s pigeons and the man who was keeping them safe and loved.


The camera tilts up and a flock of pigeons flying together in the shape of an arrow soar overhead.


Nadja screams as Lady Luck drops down beside her. “Lady Luck!” The newscaster gasps excitedly, “always great seeing you but the circumstances are always terrible.”


“I agree. I need to borrow your microphone.” Nadja nods then hands it over. The camera focuses on Lady Luck, “mayor Bourgeois? Please note that... how should I put this bluntly? Your ass is grass. I told you I’d come after you should you renege on your law for M. Ramier. Not only will I allow him to give you your just desserts but I may even join in.”


“Uh... Lady Luck?”


“One second, I’m not finished. And to anyone else in a position of power who thinks they can go back on something they ‘vowed’ to do just to get themselves out of a sticky situation? You’d better watch your asses too. And yes, the police chief is number two on the list.”


Sabrina makes a face. But, it’s his fault for lying to Lady Luck’s face – after she swore she’d make them pay for lying to her.