Actions

Work Header

The (Cursed) Avatar- Book 2: Air Currents

Chapter 15: The Dragon vs. The Badgermole

Summary:

After escaping the Fire Nation soliders by creating Metalbending, Toph still couldn't go back to apologize to Guru Pathik because she realized Omashu is being invaded! Will she be able to help her friends in stopping the Fire Nation before it's too late?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Toph and Wander were burrowing underneath the Earth; traveling underground had always been much faster than any above-ground traveling could be. They Earthbent at lightning fast speeds, pushing rocks and dirt out of their way as they created their makeshift tunnel, making their way all the way to Omashu. 

So Metalbending was possible.

And Toph just did it. 

Because she's fucking awesome

Metal was Earth, everything was connected. If Metalbending was possible, think of all the possibilities of other types of bending that could be created! And she had the power to explore it all! She wanted to explore it all! It was all so fascinating! No more Cursed Avatar bullshit, Toph's going to be known as the greatest Avatar of all time!

Toph wanted to explore all the other types of sub bending! It captivated her!

But before all else, before being the best Avatar in history, or the greatest bender in all the elements, or the first ever Metalbender, her friends were important and they needed her. They were in trouble, something was happening in Omashu with the Fire Nation and they've been fighting for who knows how long. She doesn't know what exactly was happening or for why but all she knows is that it's bad .

So she couldn't stop shoving rock, she wouldn't stop. Who cares if she was sweating like crazy and her lungs were burning and the skin on her hands were raw.

She needed to keep going, her friends needed her. 

____________________

Through all the chaos of the battle between Omashu's army and the Fire Nation, Zuko and Iroh didn't manage to make it back to the safe haven that was their small apartment until the next morning , having been traveling and narrowly avoiding the conflict and fighting all night in order to safely reach home. 

And what the fuck? What the fuck was happening? Why was the Fire Nation here? Well that was stupid, he obviously knew why.

They were here to kidnap and probably kill him and uncle! 

Why!? They weren't doing anything! They were done with the Fire Nation! Why would they have to attack his home? It wasn't fair!

It wasn't fair and all he was doing was hiding! Running away from it because he wanted to keep himself safe! He was tired of running, he was tired of the Fire Nation! It wasn't right of them to try and colonize and take over areas that weren't theirs. They have been doing this for far too long and Zuko was just now starting to realize that it was wrong. 

This was his home and he wanted to fight for it! He wanted to fight for Iroh, and for Kuo's dumb fruit stand and for Iroh's stupid dream of opening a tea shop and the city that he lives in! He wanted to protect it all! 

Zuko finally snatched back his hand out from his uncle's vice grip as the old man tried to lead them inside. 

"Nephew, let us get inside quickly!" He shouted over the uproars

But the young boy didn't hear him, his eyes were fixed down the road behind them. There was a brilliant burst of blue heat that had spurred into the air.

Blue fire. 

There was only one person he knew who wielded blue flames. 

Of course she was behind this... 

Zuko was consumed with rage, his fists clenched. 

Of course it was her. Of course she had to try and take everything he had ever loved away from him. That monster , mom was right.

"ZU-... LEE! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!"

His uncle called for him as Zuko's feet moved on their own. And before he knew it, he was darting down the road, leaving his uncle in the dust as he ran towards the source of those blue flames. 

He had a score to settle.  

____________________

They have been fighting restlessly all night and now the sun was up, signaling that it was now morning. Katara didn't even have enough time to even think about how much time had passed, all she was focused on was not allowing these fucking Fire Nation pieces of shit to do anymore damage to the city that they've done already. 

Adrenaline was what was keeping her awake and fighting. Katara flung several small ice spears in the direction of another soldier, slamming right in the back of their helmet and they fell to the ground.

The enemy all looked the same at this point, all wearing the same Fire Nation armor and wielding the same element. It was so much but she wasn't going to give up. She wasn't ever going to give up.

Suki hooked a punch forward, to which a man grabbed her fist and tossed her off. She dug her heels into the dirt and lashed back, using her new momentum to shove him off his feet and bash into the wall of a house. 

Omashu's military was helping as well. Soldiers wearing the signature green uniform meshed with the Fire Nation's red. Earth and Fire spurred around as flaming rocks flew recklessly. Aang used the butt of his boomerang to fend back three soldiers and Sokka came to his aid, holding his club up threateningly. Together they were able to take down the three. 

How many were here? From the palace yesterday, they could see over a hundred giant tanks outside the walls, but they have been fighting all night . It felt as though they just kept coming, even with the help from the group and Omashu's army. 

Why hadn't Bumi agreed to fight, the city was made of stone, they could use as many Earthbenders as they could to help their army! Why was he being insane now of all times!? Didn't he want to protect his city, to protect the Earth Kingdom, to protect his home?!

Sokka grabbed a fallen soldier up by the hem of his chest plate, yanking him up,and through clenched teeth and heavy eyes, he hissed, "Who sent you here!? Where's your leader!?" 

Every so often, they would continue with Sokka's plan from last night, trying to figure out where and who the fuck was the person leading this invasion. Katara stood by her brother's side and forced a long piece of sharp ice near the man's neck. 

He growled and spat on the ground by their feet, "I'd rather die than disobey at the slimy hands of two Water Tribe peasants!"  

That can be arranged , Katara thought as the lodged ice pressed harder against the man's neck and-

"Well don't kill the man, what would the Avatar think?" They all froze and jerked their attention to behind them

Standing a couple meters away was- oh fucking shit.

Azula, Mai and Ty Lee.

"Oh, don't tell me you're the one behind all this!" Sokka shouted, enraged

Azula shrugged, "Of course I am. I must say though, I am quite surprised to see you here, it might just be my lucky day," She smiled, "Oh well. Omashu is ours. Surrender now or die"

Katara raised a pool of water above her head, "Like fucking hell we will!" 

"I guess that means we'll have to be here even longer than we already have been" Mai sighed 

Ty Lee somersaulted forward, flipping over to Suki and kicking the girl's fans right out of her hands. The Kyoshi Warrior clasped tightly onto her forearm, blocking a punch with her opposite hand and shoving her backwards. Ty Lee frowned and lunged at her again.

While that was happening, Aang handled Mai. His boomerang circled around and was about to slam square on the back of the head if she didn't duck just in time. While crouching, the 17 year old tossed four knives, they soared through the air with nearly the same control that Aang had over his weapon.

Katara charged at Azula, who smirked in return (she wanted to wipe that stupid smug grin right off her stupid face), blocking her heavy hits of water with her own blue flames. Fire daggers came out from her clenched fists as she slashed at the Waterbender, who reeled back in return.

Sokka jumped in front of her. He landed a hard hit on the top of Azula's head, she hissed and sprayed a wave of fire out from her hands, to which her brother raised his arms up and shielded himself from. 

The group fought in the middle of Omashu's square, the marble fountain of the badgermole and dragon overlooking the gruesome scene of the battle. The city's soldiers fought bravely against the Fire Nation's passion.

____________________

Hours and hours of digging and reckless rushing left Toph's pale skin covered in dirt and clothes tinted a dusty brown but she didn't care. She didn't care about the dirt underneath her fingernails, or the rocks and debris in her hair, or how she was gross and sweaty. 

What mattered was that she and Wander had reached Omashu. 

The two popped their heads out from the ground for air (not a lot of oxygen when you are underground), they were over a thousand feet away from the giant city and she felt herself gasp. She had felt it from underground but, getting a better feel of it overground... it was… 

Holy shit. 

Hundreds of Fire Nation tanks were out on the surface outside of Omashu's grand walls.

"They really are here," She said out loud to the badgermole, she ducked her head back into the ground, "Come on, Wander! We'll burrow underneath it all and find the others inside!" 

They resumed boring through the Earth, making their way past the machines and thick walls. Underground, Toph felt the thundering footsteps of thousands above her. They were fast, sporadic and nearly unpredictable and she knew exactly what was happening out there-

Fighting.

It was a battle, this was an invasion . The Fire Nation invaded Omashu for whatever reason and her friends have been fighting presumably nonstop for who knows how long. 

Had they somehow found out they were in Omashu? Is that why they were here? No, that couldn't be right, the others haven't even been here for three full days yet, there was no way the Fire Nation- who are on the other side of the sea could have known and got together an entire fleet of tanks in such a short amount of time. 

Toph could only reason one way this could have happened...

This was planned, this was going to happen no matter what they did or where they were. 

And of course she and her friends had planned to go to the city during the time of a surprise invasion. 

Just their luck. 

This was fucking insane! What was she even supposed to do when she reached the rest? Even with Omashu's army on their side, they were caught by surprise so the Fire Nation automatically had the advantage. And they brought fucking tanks. A lot of them.

This wasn't the right time for Omashu. This was the right moment, the perfect moment. They were caught off guard, no way of defending themselves in such a short amount of time, no way of evacuating the people, they were cornered. 

The time wasn't right, no one was prepared, and the enemy was willing to harm anything to get what they wanted. Toph, under any other circumstance would, have surrendered. To give up the city and just focus on making sure no one was hurt. 

But she couldn't do that. 

If they surrendered, they would lose the Earth Kingdom's largest stronghold. 

As much as Toph knew this was not the right moment, she couldn't afford to think like an Earthbender right now and as helpful and strong as neutral jing is, they didn't have the time and more importantly, the resources to wait. This needed to be solved .

If she took out the Fire Nation once at the Northern Water Tribe, she could do it again- Oh wait, that was in the Avatar State. Fuck. Whatever, Toph was strong. She could bend three fucking elements and now metal, those tanks were metal, she could do something with those. 

Toph climbed out from the ground, Wander followed suit and they inspected the area. They were past the walls, inside Omashu. They were standing behind a destroyed house in a relatively empty area. She smelt ash and dirt and felt the heavy fighting of hundreds nearby. 

It began to get colder and she guessed that the sun was setting.

The 12 year old turned to Wander, "Alright, I feel the others in the middle of the city, by that cool fountain that we saw last time- the one with the dragon and the badgermole! Come on, this way!"

She began running with the badgermole following. Were they able to evacuate the city? She hoped the civilians were okay, after all this was over she'll have to make sure the people were alright-

"Avatar!? Oma and Shu! We're saved!" A disheveled man rushed up to her and shook her by the shoulders, " WE'RE UNDER ATTACK FROM THE FIRE NATION!"

His heart was beating so fast, this guy was obviously not a soldier on any side. She guessed that the civilians had not been evacuated then. Toph tried her best to give a warm, reassuring smile up at him, gently taking his hands off her shoulders, "I know, I just got here. But don't worry, I'm gonna fix this… uh.."

"Kuo, I run a fruit stand! Please help us! I don't even know where my workers, Mushi and Lee, went!" He shouted 

"Well don't worry, Kuo. I'm gonna get the Fire Nation outta here and I'll find Mushi and Lee for you!" She began running off in the direction of the city's square, "Stay hidden, I'll be back!"

The two left the shaken man and bolted across the city as fast as their bare feet could take them. The sounds of pained screams and battle cries filled her eyes and it only made her run faster. Her friends were fine, they had to be. Because they protect her and she protects them. Because she wouldn't have gotten that vision of the first place if she couldn't save them. 

She felt her heart try to climb right out of her throat but she swallowed it down. They're fine , she kept telling herself. When they finally reached the city's square, Toph stopped dead in her tracks. 

She sensed Azula, Mai and Ty Lee. That's perfect, just perfect... 

Were they the ones behind this? This was a good invasion plan, overwhelming the enemy when they least expected it. Toph was really upset but she had to admit, it was a good plan. 

Mai and Aang were having a long range battle with their boomerang and throwing knives while Katara and Suki were chasing Ty Lee around. 

Azula had just managed to knock Sokka to the ground, kicking his club away and leaving him laying on his back, propped up on his elbows as her hands lit aflame with an evil smirk. 

"It pains me to do this, you seem like the only member on this team with a brain" Despite her words, Azula didn't look sad at all

Sokka crawled backwards, his attention not leaving the Firebender as he shrieked, "You don't sound that upset!"

His back bumped into the basin of the marble fountain, dammit! He was cornered and looked up at the 14 year old with large eyes, she only chuckled. Fuck. 

Azula raised her arms in attack and was about to burn him to a crisp but-  

TWUNG!

Toph jumped up behind the girl and bashed Azula on the back of her head with the face of her banjo. 

Completely shattering the instrument…

Sokka gasped, "Holy shit, Toph!" Azula stumbled forward and the boy jumped to his feet, snatching his club and giving his friend a tight hug, "Boy am I happy to see you!"

"Me too!" Toph quickly returned the hug before they separated and she turned her attention down to her broken banjo, "Why'd I do that…?"

He felt a twinge of guilt. Why did he feel so sad? He hated at stupid banjo, curse his moral compass "Don't worry, when this is all over we'll get you a new banjo" 

The Avatar's face twisted from surprise, to confusion, then into a wide grin, "Hey, thanks, Sokka- OH FUCK!" 

Toph grabbed the top of Sokka's head and pushed him down to duck, dodging a fireball from the Princess of the Fire Nation, " Go! Go help Aang!" Sokka nodded and rushed off to the Airbender's side. 

Toph turned to Azula, "We don't have to do this you know"

"Oh no, we do" The Firebender replied before charging at the girl, who balked back 

Azula propelled herself forward with a jet of fire, coming right up to Toph and nearly kicked her right in the stomach but the Earthbender raised a slab of rock in time, blocking the attack and punching through the pillar, sending the 14 year old backwards and sliding to the ground. 

She forced herself to her feet and rubbed her jaw, punching a fist forward and a burst of fire erupted out from it, spiraling towards Toph who blew a gust of air out from her mouth, dissipating her fire.

Katara caught Ty Lee by the leg with a whip of water, bringing her up off the ground and flinging her into the wall of a beaten house.

Azula growled and was about to charge at Toph again but stopped, she glanced at the Waterbender behind her and a smile curled on her face. 

Oh no.

Azula stomped on the ground, sending overwhelming missiles of fire towards her. Toph jumped, " Fuck- KATARA!" 

The Avatar sped over to Katara's side and tackled her down to the ground, punching a fist up towards the sky and bringing a sturdy rock wall up as it deflected the wave of hot fire. 

Toph was benched on top of Karara, her elbows propped on either side of the girl's head, who was sitting up on her arms. Breathlessly, the 12 year old spoke, unsure of what to say after not seeing her for a couple days, "I just saved your life" 

"It's good to see you too," Katara rolled her eyes with a smile, "Your breath smells like onions and bananas" 

Toph stood off her and quickly helped the Waterbender up, she brought down the wall and was ready to fight again, "Well it's all I've had for two days straight," She jumped off, "Be careful!" 

The second Toph's feet touched the stone floor, she was met with a concentrated jet of fire bulleted at her, to which she just barely had time to jerk her arms up as a spur of air bursted out from the palms of her hands, deflecting Azula's fire again. 

Spirits, Azula was angry. What did she do? Well, besides be the Avatar on the cycle before the Fire and have a huge want on her dead body. 

The Firebender stepped forward and her spread hands made fists, bright, hot blades of fire shot out from them as she jabbed at Toph, who in turn stepped back. She yelped and crouched as one swipe got a little too close for comfort.

When she stood back up, her fists were encased in hard rock, the stone reached from her hands all the way to her forearms. As Azula slugged another hit, Toph deflected it with her right arm, but Azula used her free hand to grab Toph by the collar of her shirt, throwing her back down to the floor.

She stomped in front of the girl, glaring down at her and Toph placed her hands on either side of the ground by her head, pushing herself up weightlessly and flipping backwards, kicking the Firebender right in the face as she did so. 

" Fuck!" Azula cursed as she aggressed again, throwing a punch up that Toph met halfway

BAM!

Their knuckles collided and they raised their other fists up, slamming right into each other's hands again, they repeated their attacks, continuing to punch and meet the others' clashed fists.

BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!

It wasn't until Azula changed her direction, aiming to jab right into Toph's ribs but the short girl caught her by the wrist just in time. 

They paused and Toph clenched her hand tightly as their complete and utter attention was focused solely on the other. The sounds of screaming, cursing and attacking were heard from all around them-

FOOSH!

A fireball shot at the two girls, causing both of them to jump back in opposite directions to avoid it. They turned their heads towards the source-

"What the fuck- ZUKO!?" Toph exclaimed 

"Oh shit!" She heard Sokka exclaim from behind her before returning to help Katara against Mai

"It's good to see you again, Zuzu," Azula spoke coolly and rested a hand on her hip, "And I have to say, I like the hair"

He growled, " Shut up! I know you're here for me and Uncle, get out of my home!" 

"Your home?" Toph blinked but her question was ignored by the older teenagers 

"This isn't your home , Zuzu," The 14 year old shrugged, "And I'm not here for you, brother. Frankly, I had no idea you were even here . That was just dumb luck"

...

Zuko slumped slightly and clenched his teeth, scoffing, "Of course it was..."

Toph remembered his words from back at the Northern Water Tribe, Azula was born lucky and how he was lucky to be born. Realistically, that's probably not true but there was obviously a reason for this thought process.

Was Zuko living in Omashu this entire time? Did he and Iroh come here after their mining town incident? Was he willing to help protect Omashu with her? Was this her perfect chance to help Zuko fight on a side worth fighting for? 

"You know, I expected that kind of treachery from Uncle. But you Zuko? Prince Zuko ?" Azula began, "You're a lot of things, but you're not a traitor, are you?"

Oh spirits, Azula no. 

It seemed she had the same idea Toph did of convincing the boy.

Toph shook her head frantically, "No Zuko listen, I know I said you and your sister should maybe start talking but I meant more over I dunno, your childhood or something- not about plans for taking over Omashu!" 

She shouted before realizing her tone of voice and took a deep breath and began to speak calmly, "You're not a traitor for wanting to fight for what's right. I know you know this is wrong, please," The Avatar turned to Azula as well, "You know this isn't the right thing to do! You both do!" 

"This is the right thing to do!" Azula tensed, "Zuko, don't listen to this idiot! She's the Cursed Avatar, remember? Are you really going to follow this child who has no idea what she's talking about over me? Your sister?" She then softened slightly, "It's not too late for you, Zuko. You can still redeem yourself. If you work with us- work with me, by the end of today, you'll have your honor back, father's love, and everything you've ever wanted"

Either Azula knew exactly how to convince her brother of things or these are the things that she also shared in wanting with him- either one isn't good at all . This was wrong , it was all wrong. Why should they have to colonize the Earth Kingdom and kill thousands in order to get respect? They're fucking kids.

"You shouldn't have to earn your dad's love, neither of you should have to fight to get honor or love. You should have had both since you were little, I'm… I'm sorry you guys had to fight for it," Toph said, "But there's still time… For both of you"

Zuko stared ahead, eyes darting energetically between the two.

It was so cold maybe because of the absence of heat from all the fire that was getting shot at her from before.

It was probably night now.

"There isn't a time, Zuko! What could an Earth Kingdom hick know about us? About our family? The royal Fire Nation family. Only we know what's right, not her" Azula argued 

The 16 year old continued to stare at the girls. The sounds of battling raged on around them and the moon was raised high as if curious on his answer as well. 

Azula. Toph. Azula. Toph. Azula. Toph. Azula. Toph. Azula-

FOOSH! 

Toph gasped, reeling back from a blast of fire pitted in her obvious direction. 

NO!

Nononono! Fuck! 

Azula smirked and turned on her heel, hurling a wave of her native element at the small Earthbender. Toph raised a wall of rock, backing up until the back of her heel hit the basin of the fountain. 

The Firebender siblings crowded around her but Toph pushed her rock wall forward, shoving them both backwards which gave her enough time to leap behind her, she stood high on the fountain badgermole's snout on one foot. 

Azula threw a punch and a skewer of fire shot towards her, Toph yelped and jumped from the badgermole to the dragon. Then Zuko shot at her which caused her to abandon her plan and jump off the statues entirely, leaping high over their heads and landing on the ground 20 meters away.

"RAAAHHHH!" Zuko let a mighty battle cry escape from his throat as he stormed at her, fists lit aflame 

When he reached her, he tried to strike her with his fist but she curved and slid underneath him, popping up from behind him. He whipped on his heel and used the momentum for a high kick that she had bent down to avoid. 

Alright. He was clearly going through his own stuff right now and that's okay. But he couldn't try to take over Omashu in the justification of coping with trauma, that wasn't cool and Toph was not going to let him get away with it, neither of them. 

 

The 16 year old threw another fist at her but she jerked her arm up, hooking it with hers and flipping him over her head. But he didn't slam into the ground, he managed to land on his feet, kicking a wave of fire back at her.

Toph blew a gust of wind in his direction, knocking him backwards and blowing out his fire in the process. She nearly laughed if it wasn't for Azula bouncing out from behind him with even more determination and fury than before. 

The Avatar side stepped out of the Firebender's charge, causing her to turn back on her heel and rush right back to her. Zuko regained his balance in the meantime and began storming back at her from behind. The two siblings were now running right towards her from both sides. Fuck-

"FUCK OFF, ZUKO!" Sokka screamed, tackling the 16 year old to the ground,

"ACK!" Zuko grunted, they tossed and turned on the floor until Sokka was sitting on the boy, straddling his hips as he smashed him with his club, " GET OFF ME!" He screeched, fire spouting out from his hands and feet 

Well that took care of Zuko for a little bit but- 

Toph was knocked to the ground by a blazing fist. She fell to the floor and held her face, the skin on her cheek burned and fucking sizzled and she held her face. 

There was still Azula, who was arguably a bigger threat than Zuko. 

Katara was fighting Mai, throwing up an ice shield which caught four knives thrown by the girl. She ran out from behind it and swung heavy, ice gauntlet fists at the 17 year old, who would block and dodge when necessary.

Mai hurled another knife at her, causing her pants leg to nail to the ground, before Katara had a chance to remove it, another knife pierced through her animal skin canteen, tearing the strap that was secured around her shoulders and breaking it, it fell to the floor.

Suki and Aang were ganging up on Ty Lee, who was jumping and leaping all over the city's square. Aang was able to keep up with her speed while Suki stayed grounded, waiting for when Aang would chase her back around to the Kyoshi Warrior. 

Ty Lee stopped short, causing the Airbender to bump right into her. She jabbed her fingers in pressure spots on the boy's body and he fell limply onto his back. Ty Lee glanced at Suki, who hesitated before charging forward. 

Zuko managed to shove Sokka off him and now he was sitting on him. He held his hand close to the Water Tribe boy's face as he struggled. His hands lit on fire as he began inching closer, Sokka's terrified screams filled the air. 

It was just Toph and Azula. 

It was the two of them while the rest of her friends were losing. They were losing because of the Fire Nation. She couldn't protect them and they couldn't protect each other. The only way to solve this was-

'You must learn to let go, Toph. To master the Avatar state, you must open all the chakras. Surrender yourself'

Guru Pathik's words flashed through her mind. 

The Thought Chakra- the last chakra. 

She had to give up the people she loved. This was to protect them, to protect everyone. They would do the same if they were in her place. 

But she wasn't giving up anything, she realized. Worries about the future, regrets of the past, of the small possibilities of her friends getting hurt, that was what she was letting go. Letting go of those, returning to the present moment and focus on that, that was what she was doing. 

That doesn't mean she doesn't love her friends and family, she does and she will never have to let them go. Only of the anxiety that comes with it to focus on what is right in front of her. To truly face things the way she always has, in the way she was taught by masters, like a rock. 

Toph stayed on the stone floor with Azula standing toweringly over her. The Firebender raised a foot and went to stomp on her but she rolled across the ground. She heard her chuckle, "You run like a roach when you realize you aren't winning a fight" 

Azula flung another blaze of fire at the Avatar, who crawled away. She pushed herself forward slightly and the stone floor opened into a small hole in front of her to which she burrowed in, the opening closing behind her.

 

Toph sat with her knees curled into her small body in the tiny, pitch black hole. Her face burned and her chest heaved as she felt Azula stand right above her on the surface, "What are you doing underground? What about Omashu?" She asked teasingly 

The Earthbender took in a deep breath and closed her eyes, focus. She needed to let go. 

This was to protect everyone. To save Omashu, to save her friends

This doesn't mean she couldn't still care for them. That she couldn't still love them .

Toph was only allowing the worldly attachments to free her in order to unlock her cosmic energy. 

In order to save everyone. 

" Surrender myself…" She mumbled 





BOOM! 

The ground that Azula stood over blew up in an explosion of stone, rock, dirt and other debris. Toph floated up from her completely destroyed hole, a sphere of air encircling her. 

Toph's unseeing eyes glowed brilliantly through the darkness of the night. 

The Firebender cocked her head up towards the flying girl, stumbling backwards but unwilling to show any sort of emotion other than a deep satisfaction. 

The rest had stopped their fighting, gasping and staring at her in awestruck. Even the soldiers from militaries on both sides had stopped to gawk at the terrifying sight.

Toph was in control.  

No one was going to stop her or hurt anyone else ever again. 

The only one who didn't freeze was Azula, her hands lit aflame and she smirked, "Maybe I'll finally get a challenge out of you" 

Somehow, Toph's eyes glinted even brighter. She fell sharply and suddenly to the ground, landing with a loud BOOM! as she stood at full height in front of Azula. She knew that the 14 year old couldn't take her eyes off her own gleaming orbs.

All was still as they stood in front of each other.

Everyone held their breath at the silent stand off.

… 

Then one of them moved, it was Azula. Firebenders always move first, but Earthbenders don't, they don't push back or run away, they stay. They stand their ground. 

She propelled her fist forward but Toph caught it with ease, ceasing Azula's first attack. Then the second attack was her other fist, which Toph stopped as well. Her third attack was kicking her with a fiery leg. The Avatar swung the Firebender by her hands and hurled her into the side of a battered building. 

Azula laid in the debris and aimed two fingers in the direction of Toph.

Crack 

BOOM!

Scandaling lightning shot out from her and into the Avatar's direction, who propelled herself to the side using Airbending, avoiding the strike. The 14 year old got to her feet and jerked her head to the left, where Toph stood silently.

Azula was the leader. If she got her down, this invasion will retreat. They will be safe, Omashu will stand for another day. 

The ground shook but Azula refused to lose her balance, instead, she created a long lash of fire, slashing at Toph who stomped on the ground, punching rock toward the Firebender. Lightning came again, bursting through the stone and sending chunks and pieces flying in all directions. 

Azula charged forward again, shooting herself forward with a burst of brilliant blue flames. Toph stomped firmly on the floor and rocks jumped out from the ground, encasing her in a sturdy armor of stone as she flew forward as well.

They stormed forward and right as they were a few meters away, Azula jumped out from her propulsion and into a lunge. As her feet hit the ground, a new rush of fire goaded past her and Toph stopped abruptly.

Toph dug her heels into the ground and raised her rock encased arms up in front of her as the wave passed through her, even through her thick protection, she could feel sweat beginning to form from the intense heat. 

She stood her ground and Azula only pushed back harder, more fire sprayed out, creating conflagration behind her. 

But Toph didn't move an inch. She could feel Azula staring right at her, through the armor and into her glowing, blind eyes. 

The moment she began to smile was the moment the rocks fell from Toph's small body and slammed onto the floor, making small cracks on the ground from the sheer weight of it. 

Her now bare arms grabbed Azula by the shirt and hurled her to the right, her back slamming against the basin of the fountain in the middle of the city's square, still untouched by the battle. 

Toph bent over slightly, holding the Firebender by the collar of her shirt and forcing her further against the marble, her face was hard and cold as she felt the girl clumsily grasp at her vice tight hold. 

The Avatar's hands shook with barely restrained rage as Azula's breath became frantic. She stared up at her eyes again.

They stay like that for a few long moments. 

Azula was right here, held by her shirt and trapped in between Toph and the fountain. The dragon and the badgermole stared down at her, curious of their next moves as everyone else was watching with similar intensity. 

All the fighting had stopped as they waited for her next move.

She had her. The leader behind the invasion, the mastermind behind the plan, behind the fleet of hundreds upon hundreds of Fire Nation tanks and soldiers. The source of the pain inflicted on hundreds of innocent people, the cause of all the damage done to this beautiful city- 

Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum-

Her heart was beating so fast, the fastest Toph had ever felt it pulse before. Azula's breath was hitched and shaky as she shook in her grasp. 

She was scared

A child . A 14 year old girl, she was Katara's age. A year younger than Sokka, two years older than her and Aang. 

She was a child , a child who was made to be a war machine who strived to be the best and accepted nothing less. 

She was a child who believed she had to earn her father's affection. 

A child who was in her hold and was shaking with fear.

They are outnumbered, they are all tired, she can feel it in their steps. This wasn't the right time, Toph knew that since the beginning, since before she had even reached the city. This wasn't the right time.

And this wasn't right. 

Azula may have led this attack but she was still a child, a deeply traumatized child who grew up thinking her life's goal was to colonize and take over the world. 

It wasn't fair. 

____________________

Katara watched with potency as Toph stared daggers into Azula's soul. Her eyes glowed brightly as she held Azula tightly by the shirt, pressing her up against the basin of the fountain. 

They were just staring at each other for what felt like eternity. 

Everyone was silent as they watched the two, metaphorical leaders on opposite sides finally standing off to each other. But instead of fighting like they were doing before… they were still, unmoving as if they hadn't realized time continued.

What was Toph doing? Why wasn't she doing anything? Why wasn't she bashing Azula's evil skull into the pavement or throwing her in jail for the rest of her life? She had her, she had her shaking with utter fear in her hands. 

But she did nothing .

Until she did. 

Toph sighed as her grip on the girl loosened. Her eyes closed only to reopen, she blinked away their glow. 

She was out of the Avatar State.

Why would she do that? What was she thinking? 

Katara straightened her posture and it seemed that everyone waited with baited breath to watch these events unfold. No one expected Toph to let her go. 

Toph stood up straight and quietly held a hand out for Azula, who was still sitting on the cold ground. 

What the fuck was she doing? 

The Firebender looked up at her, slowly raised her hand out only to jerk it back to her side hesitantly… 

...

Then to quickly grab it. Toph pulled her up and they stood in front of each other. Around the uneven pavement, raised rocks and dancing blue fire that made her skin crawl. Toph helped her up.

Toph opened her mouth to speak but before any word could escape out from her lips- 

In one motion, Azula swiftly brought both her hands up and firmly placed them on either of Toph's shoulders. And-

A jolt of hot lightning ran in circuits up and down Toph's body, so much power and energy was forced into the Avatar that you could practically see the electricity bounce off her. Her body spasmed and shook violently out of her control, the sheer might of the fire, heat and lightning caused her clothes to instantly burn and sindge.

Then…

She fell to the ground.

And she didn't jump back up. Or burrow underneath the ground like some animal. Or roll onto her back and laugh about how that was such a dumb move. 

She did nothing. 

She just laid there - motionless. 

It was almost as if-

"TOPH!" Katara let her name fall out of her mouth in a blood curdling scream as her legs moved faster than her mind

In an instant she was by the Avatar's side, sitting on her knees as she felt tears overwhelm and blur her vision, she pulled the girl into her lap and wrapped her arms around her tightly. She buried her face into her mass of hair, she smelt like ash, smoke and burning flesh. 

" Toph!... Toph, please- come on, don't-don't do this! Don't be-..." She choked out and she gave the small girl a light shake 

She waited for her to say something, to do anything . To grab her face and grin up at her, or to whisper something stupid, or punch her in the arm. But nothing happened, she still didn't move. 

She was still… 

Katara cried harder as she noticed Zuko take a step near them in the corner of her eye. 

She saw fucking red and her grip on the static girl tightened before she jerked her head up at the Firebender, " Leave us… ALONE! GET AWAY!"

In an instant, she was standing, one arm tightly around Toph's limb body and the other raised. The water from the fountain surrounding her, solidifying into hundreds of ice daggers that floated around her, they all pointed directly at the enemy.

No one is going to hurt the people she loves ever again. 



Notes:

OHHHHHH SHIT!!!!

LOTS of things just happened, didn't they? Why don't we unpack some of it?

Okay first thing's first, TOPH MASTERED THE AVATAR STATE!!! This was something I didn't follow canon, for Aang, he mastered it at the end of the series while in this, Toph mastered it at the end of Book 2. She mastered it and her last chakra DIDN'T get locked because wasn't killed in the Avatar State and she wasn't killed either.

YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT

Listen, I just have this gag running in the story where Toph just,,, can't die. She eats raw meat, dirt, rocks and bugs? Doesn't die, has the metabolism of a wild badgermole. Walking through the negative temperatures of the South Pole with nothing but a thin jacket and no shoes? Spite and determination kept her blood pumping. Kidnapped and trapped in the frozen tundra of the North Pole? Well, Zuko was kinda monologuing about his trauma, she couldn't die because she had to listen to him while she could. I COULD GO ON but what really matters is that she did NOT die by Azula, despite what everyone may be thinking, Azula included.

My girl is a roach.

BUT YEAH!! Like I said in the notes of the last chapter, in Buddhism letting go of attachment is not a bad thing! It simply means letting go of worries of the future or of the past and stuff like that in order to find peace! The attachment you would have to let go of with your friend or family is more of worrying about what exactly they're doing or what they could be thinking of you or, in Toph's case, whether or not they are safe (sorta, it's hard to explain) but what matters is that it does NOT mean you stop loving the people you love!!!

Next and most pressing, ZUKO?? AZULA??? From what little Toph knows about their lives, she understands that they come from a shitty family and are like, super traumatized. And she gets that! She sees them and just GETS it, she's been there! What happened to her was different from what either of them experienced/experiencing but she does understand it. She WANTS to give them a chance, a chance that they never had the opportunity to have, to be good, to make good choices.

That's why she gave them BOTH chances in Omashu, when she was talking about second chances and redemption, she was talking to BOTH of them, not just Zuko. Azula deserves it just as much as him because they're both hurt, because they're both traumatized, because they're both children.

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanna talk about how Azula reached her hand out to take Toph's only to reel it back in and then to ultimately take it, about her choice to grab Toph's shoulders and electrocute her. I REALLY DO!!! But I can't, you'll read about it in Book 3 ;)

But this was the last chapter of Book 2: Air Currents! I really hoped you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it! And get ready for the next book!

Book 3: Heat Circulation!

Thank you for reading and be sure to check out thecursedavatar on Tumblr and leave some comments here!!!!

(RIP to Toph's banjo)

Series this work belongs to: