Actions

Work Header

Coming Home to National City

Summary:

After Reign being very kill-y, Sam and Reign got sent to a Metahuman Rehabilitation center. Now, it’s been about a year since then and Sam and Reign are going home to National City. A lot has changed in a year though.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Early Release

Chapter Text

Rey was sleeping and Sam was in charge when Cait came into the room with the news that Sam and Rey were going to be allowed to go back to National City early. They were being released from the United States National Metahuman Rehabilitation Facility.

Sam woke Rey up to tell her the news after lunch. After Rey took charge, there was a lot of dancing and shouting of “oh thank Rao!”
“Um Rey.” Sam said in their shared mind scape, of course, since she wasn’t in charge at the moment. “Shouldn’t you be a little bit more quiet?”
“Oh please. Aren’t you excited about finally leaving this place?” Reign asked, (rhetorically, not actually wanting an answer)
“Yes. I miss Ruby. I can’t wait to see her again. And to see Alex and Kara and Lena and any of my friends in National City that I might be forgetting about.” Sam said.
“Oh Rao no! We are not going back to National City!”
Sam was silent.
“I, one of the most powerful kryptonians left in the galaxy got beaten by Supergirl. Supergirl! And then I got sent here of all places! A place in the Midwest far away from anywhere you or I have ever been. I’m not going back to National City!” And then Rey started crying. Sam was stunned. It was the first time ever that she knew of that Rey had ever cried.
Sam didn’t know what to do. Of course she had experience with people crying. If Ruby was crying, Sam knew what to do. Even if Alex, Lena, Kara- any of her best friends were crying, Sam knew what to do, how to help. But with Reign... Sam was clueless. And Sam did not like being clueless.
Just then the door opened. It was Sondra. Sondra quickly shifted back into her human form.
“There’s a meditation happening and then another conflict resolution class, Caity. Oh and uh- Reign are you okay?” She asked noticing that Rey was crying.
Rey stood up abruptly. “Of course I’m okay!” She said.
“Uh huh. Well, you’re allowed to go whenever. Just need to sign out. You would not believe who it was who got you out early- Clark Kent. “ Reign nodded and grabbed the bag of clothes that Sam had packed earlier.
“I’ll miss you, Reign.” Sondra said.
Reign nodded.
Caity looked up from the book she was reading. “You’re leaving? Already?” She walked over to Reign and gave her a big hug. Reign quickly wiggled out of the hug. Hugs still weren’t really her thing.
“I know you’re a kryptonian world-killer and you can defend yourself, but if you ever need some extra help, call me.” Caitin said.
Reign nodded. “I will, human.” And grinned.
Then Sondra and Caitlin went off to the meditation. Reign started walking down to the office.
Sam went back into their shared mind scape.
“Well, I know you’ll love seeing Supergirl again.” Sam said,joking.
Reign growled, out loud not just in their shared mind scape.
Sam laughed.
“There has to be something you liked about National City though, right Rey?” Sam said, leaving her with those words before Sam left the mind scape and went to sleep.
Reign signed out (if Sam had been awake and paying attention, she would have shuddered at how messy Rey’s handwriting was), and then flew off west, in the direction of National City.
They got to National City at about mid morning, though it definitely felt later because of coming from eastern time zone and flying for a few hours.
Rey landed in front of the front door of Samantha Arias’s house. She was just about to fly in(she would have caused a big mess), when she hesitated, sighed and rolled her eyes.
Then she woke up Sam, who she was certain would be excited and happy.