Actions

Work Header

The Web of You

Summary:

To be saved by the Avengers once is a feat not many can confess, Veejay Morris has met them twice. The second time she was saved in more ways than once; they brought her friends, family and somewhere along the way a relationship. But nothing is ever easy, especially with spontaneous missions and the natural tension within the team. How much is Veejay willing to risk by joining a team of assassins, billionaires and past experiments.
Can also be read as a reader is the MC if you use your imagination.

Sequel now up and being updated regularly!

Notes:

Hey, so I'm currently 14 chapters into this story and decided to share it. Please Please let me know what you think and if you have any idea's you want to be used in here just post them down below and I'll see how I can incorporate them later on.

Thanks for reading <3

Chapter 1: Preface

Chapter Text

My tongue rolled around the stone and dust enveloping my mouth, spitting frequently trying to remove them with nothing but a dribble of saliva on my chin to show for it. Darkness enveloped me and although my vision was completely shielded I felt the weight of something large and heavy rested above my face. I was trapped and strangely I was perfectly okay with that, at ease despite the gunfire and screaming echoing through the gaps in the rubble. It was only when the object on top of me began to shift that panic swirled in my body tugging uncomfortably at my gut and releasing in short, sharp breaths. There was no doubt that the slightest movement of whatever part of a building that now sat on top of me would completely crumble if it was moved. Still, I played my part and laid still as it shifted and groaned.

            “There’s somebody under here!” A voice hollered. Soft but stern, authoritative. I wanted to call out, to confirm what they already knew but it seemed like a fickle attempt of risking fate. Even breathing too deeply could cause everything to come crumbling down. Literally. “Stark, quick, scan how far deep down they are so we can get started on removing the brick.” It took a few seconds but then a blue light seemed to bend through the cracks, crawling and contorting itself through the darkness until it fell on me. Another voice murmured something that I was unable to here but it was followed by more protests from the building above.

            It took a few minutes of lying still barely breathing and trying to calm my pessimistic mind. My eyes were closed and my hope was dwindling when the back of my eyelids shone red, a sure indicator that there was a light directly behind them.

            Blue eyes were staring directly into my own when they finally fluttered open but quickly reeled back when my body inhaled quickly letting out the air in sharp coughs.

            “Sorry.”

            He smiled at my apologies, tossing the shield onto his back, and offered me a hand up. “No worries, let's get you out of here shall we?” I nodded back at him and reached for his hand. I was no stranger to the avengers, not oblivious to their status or fame. I knew that something bad must be happening right now for them to be here – hell, I wasn’t under a building for no reason. Still, seeing the Captain America in front of me, holding my hand securely while pulling me up haltered my sensibility.

            Once I was out of the rubble, peering back down at it as if it held some personal vendetta against me, he pulled his hand out of mine and took an assertive look around.

            “I need to –“

            “I’m going to get out of here.”

            We both stated at the same time. I grinned up at him, he was taller than I expected but I’d never exactly met a super-soldier before, who knows what they looked like. His dirty hair shook as he laughed and he gave me a quick salute before jogging away and back into the fight I hadn’t noticed happening merely 5 feet away.

            Now what?

            Determined to be unaffected by the war raging on around me, I wandered clumsily towards the borders of the town. I’d lived here all my life and it should’ve been sad to watch it up in flames; to watch the hulk tare down the school I had attended, or arrows blowing up the post office. But in reality, it felt like a means to an end, a sign from the universe that there is so much more to living than being a sitting duck in a town that offers no more than you give. I had been raised here, I had memories in every single rock and dust particle flying through the air, but I couldn’t grow anymore than I already had. Not here anyway.

            So, with that in mind, I found myself in a car that had been abandoned on the side of the road – the door was left flung open from a desperate attempt of escape. The keys were still in and if the owners really cared about it well… too little too late. The fight grew small and quiet as I edged along the bumpy road, careful to avoid bodies, and out of town.