Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Masterpieces
Stats:
Published:
2021-05-13
Completed:
2021-07-13
Words:
20,393
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
35
Kudos:
460
Bookmarks:
83
Hits:
6,525

Bonnie & Clyde

Summary:

After Mori makes his decision to select Tanizaki as Port Mafia's newest recruit following the Decay of Angels deal he struck with Fukuzawa, Junichiro struggles to settle into his new position as a member of the Black Lizard command. Luckily, his new companions are supportive and do their best to lessen his burdens.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: weathering out the storm

Chapter Text

Tanizaki slumped forward in his seat, arms folded on the table at their local fast food as he rested his cheek against the sleeve of his hoodie. Outside the window to his right, the world was too black to see a thing, the night coming upon them as quickly as the violent rainstorm that's been terrorizing Yokohama for a solid two hours now. Between that and the winds with force enough to match that of a hurricane, it's no surprise him and Tachihara had to retreat here just to escape the weather.

Lately, Jun'ichirō's mood has been in the dumps. You'd think getting a promotion and a raise more than quadrupole of what he previously made would be something to celebrate, but quite honestly, that's the last thing Tanizaki had the willpower to do. 

"He's far too dangerous," had been the words Hirotsu said last year, during Tanizaki's attempt to murder an ill Mori after being kidnapped by Black Lizard. "His ability is terrifyingly suited for assassination." 

Fukuzawa made it clear to Mori that when they negotiated after the whole Decay of Angels ordeal was through, he could take any member as a bargaining chip for assisting the ADA while they were being framed except for Yosano. Of course, she had been the person Ogai wanted all along, considering his sickening obsession with her, but the Port Mafia boss had no choice but to agree to those terms; it was either somebody else, or no reward at all. 

Though it hadn't been directly stated, Ranpo would never be given up either, considering he's basically the man's son. Other than his unnatural intelligence, Mori really didn't have much use for him other than that, so he was off the table regardless. 

So with the exceptions agreed upon, everyone had no doubt in their minds it'd be either Dazai or Atsushi getting transferred; even the both of them were expecting as much. Not only are they the strongest ability users in the Agency, but their partners are apart of the Port Mafia, meaning Mori would have plenty of more power in his reach by putting them together rather than keeping them separate. He's always telling Osamu that he's welcomed back into the mafia if he so desires, and of course even if Mori didn't want to keep Atsushi — which would be rather stupid on his part — there's a very handsome bounty still on his head if he wanted to sell him overseas as initially orchestrated some time ago. 

While Dazai acted as expectantly at ease that stressful week of waiting to hear back on Mori's decision, Atsushi was the one everyone needed to comfort. It was bad enough, the fear of becoming the enemy of the only family he's ever had, but being under Mori's thumb where he'll without a doubt be forced to kill and become the person the Headmaster abused him not to be. That was bad enough, but when Ranpo brought up the possibility of him being sold, Akutagawa had walked into the Agency only to witness the weretiger having a full-fledged panic attack.

All Tanizaki could think about during that dreadful period was how lucky he was to not be in their position. His ability is pretty useless, after all, so what reason would Mori have for plucking a crab apple from a tree full of perfect reds? Him and Naomi had nothing to worry about except offering their support to Atsushi and assuring him that no matter what happens, he'll always be welcome both at work and in their lives. There truly was nothing else they could do for him, despite what lengths Tanizaki would be willing to go to for his best friend.

It was obvious Nakajima appreciated the sentiment very much, but no one really did the trick of cheering him up like Dazai and Akutagawa. No one could influence him like those two do, and if there's one thing that could prepare Atsushi for the transition, that'd be the reassurance of knowing Akutagawa would be there with him every step of the way. It wasn't difficult to eavesdrop on their conversation with the pair only at arm's length away sitting on the loveseat in their office, knees touching as Akutagawa held Atsushi's hands in his lap while they had a serious conversation of what the future would look like if things go the way they anticipated. 

The mafioso assured him that he wouldn't act as his superior, but they'd be partners on equal ground. Obviously he couldn't promise anything, but if there were things Atsushi truly couldn't bring himself to do, Akutagawa would do his best to perform the unethical deeds for him while allowing his partner to still take the credit. It'll be really rough, but Akutagawa swore he'd do everything in his power to make him feel at least a bit comfortable in his new organization, even if it meant welcoming him into his and Gin's apartment after being no longer allowed to reside at the Agency dorms. The two of them would do everything they could if the time ever came to make the best out of a messy situation, but until then, all they could do was hold out on hope.

To be honest, Ryuunosuke seemed somewhat disappointed when him and the rest of the Black Lizard showed up that coming Monday morning to welcome Tanizaki into their division, whereas Jun'ichirō and everybody else in the ADA looked undoubtedly shocked. 'Shocked', quite honestly, is putting it rather lightly; more or less, Tanizaki's entire world blew up before his eyes, speechless beyond the words, "This must be some sort of mistake," that must have been repeated half a dozen times.

It wasn't; Hirotsu made that much clear as his words rolled off his tongue in clouds of cigarette smoke. He was the one who told Mori that Jun'ichirō would be a suitable candidate to consider as an addition to Black Lizard because of his impressive assassination skills, which is when Hirotsu told him that if not for Kouyou's presence in his room at the last possible second, Tanizaki would have easily slit his throat in his weakened state the exact same way Mori had done to their former boss on his deathbed. 

Tanizaki has a bloodlust that is Port Mafia fit; characteristics Atsushi could never equip seeing as the Agency had gotten their hands on him first. Dazai could simply be trusted as far as you could throw him, and though Mori would love nothing more than to have his pupil back, he knows the man would only cause trouble if he were to be forced back against his will. There would be far too much betrayal and sabotage for it to be a worthy endeavor, and of course Osamu would always come to Chuuya's rescue no matter the organization he pledges his loyalties to so that was already a given.

There really was only one worthy candidate to select out of the three, and since prying Naomi's arms from around his waist before leading PM's newest recruit out the Detective Agency's door for what could be very well be the last time, this was the new life Jun'ichirō would lead. It's been five meager days, a blink of an eye when stacked against the years Tanizaki had already spent at the ADA, and yet it feels like he's been gone for an eternity. Already, he misses all of his friends like hell; Kunikida's shouts at only 8:35am, Kenji and Atsushi's comforting enthusiasms, Dazai's daily suicide attempts that always riled Kunikida up undoubtedly... He misses his sister too, who he had no choice but to part ways with for the sake of her safety. Tanizaki even finds himself missing the nostalgic smell of coffee and floor cleaner first thing in the morning.

Jun'ichirō snaps out of his daze when a tray slaps onto the tabletop, glancing up at Tachihara's face expressionlessly when he plops down in the seat in front of him, a cushioned booth. 

He's already unwrapping a burger, taking a large bite as expected of someone with as little patience as he, before Tanizaki mutters dejectedly, "I told you I didn't want anything."

Another eager bite, and if Jun'ichirō actually had the willpower, he'd tell him to slow down before he chokes, the former detective's eye narrowed as it proceeds to stare in his direction.

"I know," is the blunt, food-muffled reply he earns in return, finally putting the sandwich down as he plops his thumb into his mouth to lick off the sauce. Following the momentary pause the action caused, Michizō comments, "But you haven't ate all day, and I don't want you getting sick on me. You know how hard it would be to carry you all the way back to headquarters in this weather?"

Though a frown still remains on his lips, he can't help the reaction of his eyes that visibly widen in surprise, startled that he actually noticed he hadn't ate anything. Sure, Tanizaki loves the ADA with all his heart, but the office is way too busy and chaotic for anyone except Naomi to ever pick up on anything like that unless it was Kunikida or Atsushi or somebody who they were concerned over. In times where his sister isn't around, he sort of tends to just fade away anyway, so even if Jun'ichirō were sitting there with a missing limb, it'd probably take a good fifteen minutes for anybody else to notice.

Plucking one of the fries out of the box, Tachihara reaches over and pokes Tanizaki on the tip of his nose, gaze drifting back over in the older's direction once more.

"You're spacing out again," the man states like it's a fact, Jun'ichirō feeling his stomach rumble at how heavenly the food smelled now that the scent was this much closer, "hence a symptom of low blood sugar. Eat, please, before you drive me crazy."

With a sigh, Tanizaki murmurs a, "Thank you," he didn't quite mean before pinching the fry Tachihara had been waving in front of his face between two fingers and taking a bite, blessed to finally taste the salt on his tongue for real. It may not be Chinese food, but it's still just as delicious.

"No problem! With as much hovering as Hirotsu and Gin does over me, the least I can do is return the favor by being the one to fret over the newbie," Michizō chuckles, a warm sound Tanizaki couldn't deny made his chest swell as he forced himself to sit up straight. "I promise you'll be sick of me by the end of the month."

"End of the month? You overestimate my tolerance levels," Tanizaki snorts, and now it was Tachihara who felt his smile widen at such a beautiful laugh. After almost an entire week of watching him brave through the days sluggishly, bags hanging under his eyes like he hadn't slept in years, Michizō honestly couldn't be happier to have at least managed to lift his mood a little bit.

Keeping up the banter, Tachihara leans back into his seat, resting his feet up on the seat alongside Tanizaki as he plucks another fry into his mouth. "Well either way, it seems you're stuck with me now. Or maybe I'm the one that's stuck with you; I haven't known you for very long, but who knows? Perhaps there's some pesky habits underneath this polite exterior you've had going on so far. If not for seeing you in action myself, I never would have guessed you could be as blood-hungry as you are, which was insanely impressive by the way. I don't think I've ever been more blown away."

Jun'ichirō's face immediately flushes, noticeably so considering how fair his skin is. He's fiddling with the jewelry decorating one of his ears, pulling at the earrings and rolling them between his fingers, probably a nervous habit so he could deviate his attentions elsewhere as he gazes off to the side so not to have to look at that expression smirking back at him. They certainly look super cool, and one of these days Tachihara will happily flex that he makes his own earrings using his ability with smuggish pride.

"That's a bit of an exaggeration, truly," Tanizaki once again belittles what Tachihara and the rest of Black Lizard would consider one of the most impressive abilities they've ever seen, which is something Michizō knows they'll have to work on. "Compared to the Soukoku's, I'm certainly useless."

"You and I may not be as powerful as they are, but that doesn't mean the two of us can't be our own force to be reckoned with. Hell, imagine the power we'd have if you and I worked side by side rather than against each other like before! Once I teach you how to work a gun or whatever other weapons you desire that I can craft out of my ability, you'll be unstoppable, I swear!"

"So will you," he smiles, scratching his cheek, "once I teach you how to take advantage of Light Snow's stealth."

"Yes! Exactly!" Tachihara shouts with much enthusiasm, probably a bit too loudly given the public setting they're in. Tanizaki can already feel the eyes of people drifting towards them, which he would have found comical on a normal day, but to spot Ranpo and Atsushi walk in together, it triggered an immediate fight or flight response.

When Nakajima meets his eye from the other side of the takeout joint, there's a bright smile and a wave, one that would be impossible to classify as ingenuine. He almost looks as if he's about to walk over and say hi, considering how long it's been since they've caught up, but Jun'ichirō doesn't miss the way Ranpo's hand slaps around his wrist like a cuff, muttering something inaudible to him before they move up in line.

"I wouldn't take it too personally," Tachihara's voice suddenly causes Tanizaki to flinch as he turned back around in his seat, forgetting for a moment that he was here to witness that uncomfortable display. "It's the same way for me with the Hunting Dogs ever since I turned my back on them. Teruko will always greet me anytime she sees me — sometimes it's impossible to get rid of her once she starts running her mouth — but if it's Tecchou or Jouno, they refuse to even meet my eye."

The thought of this being the new usual with the ADA... all of this inescapably awkward tension and filtered smalltalk... Just the thought of it is enough to make Jun'ichirō's stomach churn. 

"That won't be the same for you, though," he follows, pausing in between to suck on the straw of his drink. "You didn't join the Port Mafia of your own free will, nor did you betray them. I think that detective guy is just trying to spare you the heartache since everything is still so fresh; distance will probably make the transition less difficult, or at least that's the way I see it. I'm sure when you've settled in fine, they'll come around. I see Atsushi's face at headquarters at least once a week, so you'll be hardly seeing him any less."

"I really hope you're right," Tanizaki says with the utmost ache in his tone, peering down at the table when he feels Tachihara had reached out and squeezed his hand. It's a little embarrassing, how teary in the eyes he got, and wet streaks already started to stream down his cheeks after what was meant to be a reassuring chuckle did the opposite. "I really, really hope you're right..."

"Hey, I might be a dumbass," Tachihara shrugs, tone light and easy, "but that doesn't mean I'm ever wrong."

Tanizaki sighs with light-hearted exasperation, a small smile playing on his lips as he retorts, "That is a very contradictory statement, Tachi."

Honestly, he didn't even realize he dropped the last two syllables off his name until there had already been too long of a pause to include it, not expecting to overstep this mutual professionalism he's exchanged with his new colleagues. 

Jun'ichirō hopes he didn't cross any boundaries too soon, but of course he shouldn't have expected Michizō to care any less. Actually, the nickname drew an attractive grin out of the guy, the tip of his nail absentmindedly tapping the metal of the ring he wore on his right index when he looks Tanizaki in the eye and says, "I dig it. Sounds almost as cute as Tani, criminally so."

"Criminally so? I don't believe you've got the power to arrest anyone anymore, says the criminal himself."

"Pot meet kettle."

"I'll have you know, I've done nothing worthy of a criminal record yet!"

"Yet. One of these days, we'll be putting Bonnie and Clyde to shame."

"Because Tani and Tachi sounds oh so intimidating," Tanizaki bites the inside of his cheek to repress a rising smile, not expecting this conversation to turn out as funny as it had after such a damper on the mood. If there's one thing he can say about his new 'comrade in arms', it's that he's sickeningly sweet when it comes to cheering people up. Now he sort of wishes he could of been there to see Atsushi throw him that child back when they were facing the Guild, because as concerning as that may have been before, it was probably super hilarious now that he's starting to get to know him better and learning he's seemingly harmless towards those that don't get on his bad side.

"Well, neither of us look intimidating either until we're fucking someone up. Maybe it's better to keep the element of surprise going," Tachihara explains, the two of them seeming to put way too much unnecessary thought into this.

"Anyway," Michizō continues, pointing to all of Tanizaki's untouched food where not even his burger had been unwrapped yet, only a single fry consumed out of the box only because Tachihara had forced his hand, "you've got a lot of grub to force down before Hirotsu and co comes to pick us up. Eat, now."

"Alright, alright, I'll eat," the younger chuckles in response to the relentless harping, casual smiles resting on both their faces as the last couple to leave makes them the only customers remaining. 

The storm was still raging on pretty hard out there when Tanizaki peers out, finally easing his stomach's spirits when he swallows that first bite of his burger, but that's to be just one more detail about this night to make it as memorable as it's already become. Maybe things really will start to look up from here, so long as Tachihara stays along for the ride.