Actions

Work Header

We look for ways to fly

Chapter 3: The epic first year face-off

Chapter Text

Sugawara Koushi didn’t know what to expect from this match. The second and third years had been making bets all week on who would win, but the vote was pretty evenly split.

If Koushi had to place his bet, he didn’t know who he thought would win. 

Sure Kageyama was wildly talented. That much had been obvious when he, Daichi and Tanaka had scouted the teams at the middle school tournament the previous year. Though Kageyama’s setting was incredibly impressive, he struggled with communication. He was able to analyze the entire court in an instant but had problems with keeping tabs on the conditions of the players on his team.

As a fellow setter, Koushi knew that communication was key.

Tsukishima was nothing to sneeze at either. 

The two other first years had been practicing with the team all week to help them prepare for the game. Neither had the same natural talent for the game, but they were by no means bad. Tsukishima had his height which would give their team a major advantage in the blocking department, and he and Yamaguchi had the advantage of knowing each other for years. Their trust and teamwork would help them work cohesively.

Kageyama and Hinata on the other hand… 

Kageyama had refused to practice anything other than receiving Hinata all week. Hinata knew that his receives needed work so he hadn't complained much. When Koushi asked if Hinata wanted to practice anything else Hinata had refused.

“Practicing receives is a good way to get better control over the ball,” Hinata smiled. “It’ll help me adjust faster. Besides,” he cringed a little. “I used to really, and I mean REALLY suck at receiving. So now I know that I need to put in more effort in that area than others.”

Hinata’s receives had drastically improved throughout the week, but Kageyama still insisted that he didn’t need Hinata to win. The stubborn bastard. However… 

“Do me a favour and wait to look up any videos of my playing until after the three-on-three.”

Koushi wondered what sort of tricks Hinata had up his sleeve.


The match started with Tanaka blasting through Tsukishima’s block. To which, Tanaka got a little overly excited and whipped his shirt around above his head while cheering for himself. 

Koushi kindly but firmly told him to put his shirt back on.

0 - 1

Kageyama confidently executed a jump serve, but Daichi received it and they managed to get it back over the net, earning them a point.

Koushi couldn’t help but smile. That was their ever-reliable captain. Not to be underestimated.

5 - 3

Tsukishima, Yamaguchi, And Daichi’s team had pulled ahead, but it was a slow process.

Tanaka’s spike’s kept getting blocked by Tsukushima. It was like Hinata had said before, with only Tanaka spiking, they were becoming predictable.

But whenever the ball was about to hit the floor, Hinata managed to dig it up.

One moment the ball was heading for the open floor, the next, Hinata was there. Hinata’s reflexes were pretty damn impressive, and with all the receiving practice the past week, Hinata had no issue getting the ball to Kageyama for him to set.

7 - 4

“KAGEYAMA!” Koushi watched as Hinata ran up to the net and leaped into the air. Time seemed to slow as Hinata soared high above the net.

Koushi watched as Kageyama's eyes widened. Koushi knew that Kageyama had fully intended to send that set the ball to Tanaka, but he managed to perfectly shift his stance in an instant and sent the set to Hinata with Pinpoint accuracy. 

Koushi knew Kageyama was talented, but this was the first time he felt his heart drop. Kageyama had something, something Koushi never would, no matter how much he may wish for it to be so.

Tsukishima was caught off guard since he had been focused on Tanaka and Hinata spiked the ball onto a particularly ugly spot of the court.

Everyone’s jaws dropped. 

“Did you see how fast that was?”

“That would be near impossible to receive!”

“Was it just a fluke?” the others whispered excitedly to each other.

Koushi watched as Hinata stared at his hand, then clench his fist. A newfound determination glinted in his eyes.

And with that, the plan of having only the Tanaka attack flew out the window.

8 - 6

It was Daichi’s serve. 

Hinata received the ball and sent it to Kageyama. 

Suddenly Hinata was right at the net, ready to attack. But he had just been on the other side of the court, hadn't he? He was so fast that Koushi's eyes couldn’t keep up. 

Kageyama sent the set to Hinata, but they were out of sync and the ball flew out of bounds.

12 - 12

Tanaka spiked the ball and Yamaguchi received it. However, the ball flew high over the net right where Hinata was.

Koushi expected Hinata to send the ball to Kageyama to set but that was not what happened.

Instead, Hinata Jumped up to meet the ball in the air.

“TANAKA!” Hinata screamed and set the ball.

Tanaka jumped and spiked the ball over the net once more, earning them the point.

“DUDE THAT WAS AWESOME!” Tanaka shouted as Hinata cheered. 

The rest of the Karasuno team was left, once again, staring wide-eyed. No one had expected Hinata to make a set.

Kageyama looked absolutely livid but didn’t say anything.

15 - 16

Hinata got three service aces in a row.

He performed three jump serves. One was aimed directly between Yamaguchi and Daichi, they both went for it at the same time, but hesitated when they saw the other move for it.

Another was sent right to the back left corner. It looked like it was going to be out.

The last one hit the net but still managed to make it over. It looked like it could have been an accident.

Something told Koushi it was on purpose.

18 - 19

As the game dragged on Koushi could begin to sense Kageyama’s frustration at not being able to gain a solid lead. Tsukishima’s height was too much of an advantage, paired with Daichi’s receives it was difficult to get points in.

Not to mention, he and Hinata were not syncing up at all.

Koushi watched as Kageyama pulled Hinata to the side and whispered something to him. 

Hinata looked a little doubtful but nodded.

Tsukishima served and Tanaka received. The ball was sent to Kageyama.

For a moment, Hinata looked like he was about to jump and Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were right on him, going for the block. But at the last minute, Hinata changed directions and sped to the other side of the court, jumping in the air. 

The ball flew straight to Hinata’s hand and was slammed onto the floor.

Once again, everyone was left speechless.

21 - 23

Kageyama and Hinata tried the freak quick again. 

Hinata ran to an open spot at the net and Kageyama sent the ball his way. This time, the ball was too fast and Hinata almost missed it. 

At the last second, Hinata managed to stretch his arm just enough that he tipped the ball just over the net and it fell to the ground with a small thud.

23 - 24

It was matchpoint for Hinata, Kageyama, and Tanaka.

Tanaka served and it was received by Daichi. Yamaguchi set for Tsukishima, who spiked it over. 

Tanaka made the receive and sent it to Kageyama. Kageyama set to Hinata, but Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were there to block it.

Hinata spiked the ball. 

The ball hit Tsukishima’s fingers and flew towards the far side of the gym.

Daichi made a run for it, but it was no use.

The ball hit the ground with a resounding SMACK and the game was over.

Kageyama, Hinata, and Tanaka took the first set.


The second set went a lot smoother. 

Kageyama and Hinata landed many more spikes. The super fast quick managed to happen a few more times, which baffled everyone. Kageyama’s setting got more accurate and precise as the game went on. There was no doubt that Kageyama was functioning at one hundred percent. Only it took Hinata to be able to bring out Kageyama’s full potential. 

Hinata missed one of Kageyama’s quick sets and Kageyama was now yelling at Hinata. Hinata was yelling back.

They were at match point for Kageyama, Hinata and Kageyama and Hinata ran up to the net for another spike. Tsukishima ran to block him but Kageyama set to Tanaka instead who got a clear shot of the court.

“ALRIGHT!” Tanaka yelled. He was now shirtless again.

“What are you so proud of?” Ennoshita yelled at Tanaka.

“Yeah, the first years did most of the work anyway!” Koushi said teasingly.

“Put your shirt back on you idiot!” Kinoshita added.


After the three-on-three, Kageyama and Hinata walked up to Daichi like they were on a mission. They both held out their crumpled club application forms. Daichi just smirked and turned to Kiyoko. 

“They should already be here right?” Daichi asked. 

Kiyoko nodded and retrieved a box that contained the new Karasuno high volleyball jackets.

Yamaguchi and Hinata both seemed pretty excited to try them on right away, though Yamaguchi tried to hide his excitement more than Hinata. Kageyama just looked mildly surprised and Tsukishima looked like he wanted to leave.

After that Daichi sent the four first years home early, much to Kageyama’s and Hinata’s protests. Daichi said they deserved a break after the amazing performance they gave.

Hinata went to argue but was dragged away by Kageyama. Koushi suspected they were off practicing outside somewhere. Whether the two realized it or not, with their dedication to the sport and how their talents complement each other, they’d make a great team one day. Daichi saw it too, it was one of the reasons he was so insistent on them learning to work together.

“What a match,” Ennoshita said as he dismantled the net.

Narita nodded. “And to think this was just a three-on-three. Imagine an actual game.”

“Guess guaranteeing our positions as starters is going to be very difficult,” Kinohsita let out a stiff laugh.

Koushi’s lips pressed into a line. yeah, it would be difficult. Kageyama was no doubt overflowing with talent and dedication to the sport. His setting technique and skills were way beyond that of the average high schooler. Way beyond Koushi. No matter how much the others defended Koushi’s position as official Karasuno setter, he didn’t know if that was what was best for the team. Would he really be able to take them to nationals?

But Kageyama, as he was now, was not fit to be the official setter. To be a setter you required good communication skills. You need to get to know your teammates and learn how they work to bring out one hundred percent of their power. They needed to be observant enough to keep an eye on the condition of the players. If one of their spikers was looking tired, they needed to adjust the sets accordingly.

Although Kageyama seemed to have calmed down a bit since junior high, he still had a very closed mind. He was unwilling to give Hinata a chance until a quarter of the way through the match when Hinata arguably didn’t give him a choice any longer. Kageyama, no matter his improvement, still subconsciously believed that they should all adjust to him because he was always right.

“Suga,” Daichi called out. “You good man?”

“Huh?” Koushi looked up from where he’d been standing with the mop. “Yeah, I’m good.”

“You sure?” Tanaka asked. “You’ve been mopping the same spot for the last five minutes.”

“Oh, heh.” Koushi rubbed the back of his neck. “Just got lost in thought I guess. Hey,” He turned so he could address both Tanaka and Daichi. “You guys both played really well today.”

“I would have gotten more points,” Tanaka pouted. “I just wasn’t expecting the glasses brat to be that much of a pain. I mean seriously!” He waved his arms around. “No first year should have to weigh to be that tall.”

“I think what Tanaka means is,” Daichi cut in. “We seem to have some really promising first-years, and not just Kageyama who already has a reputation.”

“Yeah I mean Tsukishima’s height will be a real advantage,” Narita said.

“And Yamaguchi has some real potential if he practices a bit more,” Ennoshita added. 

“But did you see the shorty?” Kinoshita asked.

Koushi let out a small laugh. “His name is Hinata.”

“Well, where did Hinata get so good?” Kinoshita asked again.

“Yeah I mean we all saw how last week he couldn’t even aim his receives,” Enoshita spoke. “But out here today they seemed like no issue.”

At this point, no one was cleaning anymore. They were too engrossed in analyzing the first years.

“I mean the kid has been practicing non-stop since the three-on-three was announced,” Tanaka said. “But even then, man. I did not expect how high the kid can jump. I mean! The guy’s a shrimp!”

“Suga,” Daichi addressed with an inquisitive expression. “You spent a lot of time with Hinata during lunch didn’t you?” 

Suga nodded. 

“Did Hinata ever mention where he learned to play? He never mentioned anything about his past experience,” Daichi continued.

“Well, he said he’s never really played indoor volleyball before-”

Koushi was cut off by multiple “no ways” and “that’s impossibles” before he could continue. Koushi glared at them and the noise died down. 

“As I was saying,” Koushi glared at Tanaka who had been the loudest out of them all. Tanaka looked away and whistled as if he wasn’t doing anything wrong. “Hinata doesn’t have any real experience with indoor volleyball. But he has been playing beach volleyball since he was four.”

There was a pause. 

“Beach volleyball?” Ennoshita asked. “That’s not all that big in Japan is it?”

Koushi shook his head. “Apparently Hinata just moved from Rio de Janeiro.”

Another pause. 

“YOU MEAN BRAZIL?” they all collectively shouted.

Koushi tried not to smirk at being able to hold all this knowledge over their heads. He nodded. 

“Why didn’t he say anything?” Daichi asked.

Koushi shrugged. “He said it wasn’t relevant.”

“Who cares if it was relevant or not!” Tanaka shouted. “Brazil! That’s awesome! The beach! The sights! The ladies! Oh my god, all the hot women!” Tanaka melted onto the floor.

“I don’t know much about beach volleyball,” Daichi rubbed his chin. “Is it that different from indoor volleyball?”

“I’m honestly not sure,” Koushi said. “Hinata said the balls were different and that was why he was having problems receiving at the start.” The team shook their heads. That made sense. “I was going to look more into it after today’s match. Hinata said there might be some videos of his games online but told me not to watch them until after today's match. “

“WELL, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR!” Tanaka yelled. “I VOTE WE WATCH US SOME BEACH VOLLEYBALL!”

“Well now I’m curious too,” Kinoshita said. “Count me in.”

“Me too.”

“Also me,” Ennoshita and Narita said as Tanaka ran to the clubroom to grab his phone.

“Hey!” Daichi shouted. Tanaka paused mid-run. “As much as we all want to find out more about one of our newest members and beach volleyball. We can do this after we clean up the gym. Alright?”

“RIGHT!” they all shouted. Then got back to cleaning up. Noticeably faster than before.