Actions

Work Header

Hot Coffee (The Never Meet Your Heroes Remix)

Summary:

Lance watches as writer Merlin and actor Arthur fall all over each other (their respective heroes).

Notes:

Thanks to the mods for holding this fest- it is probably my favorite one in the fandom!

Work Text:

Lance was standing in the line for catering when he felt something jab his back. He jumped and spun around to find Merlin, his friend and the reason he was here in the first place. After a short conversation involving Arthur Pendragon and coffee, Merlin left. But this left Lance wondering about Merlin. He’d called Arthur his hero. Did that really mean he had a crush on him? He mentally shrugged and picked up his food. He had to hurry and eat before he reported to hair and makeup.

At nine-thirty, Lance made his way to the large, white tent where the pre-production meeting was being held. After he chose a seat, he spotted Merlin near the front. Soon Arthur Pendragon arrived. Lance watched as Arthur walked up to Merlin and they spoke briefly. He wondered what they were saying, but whatever it was, they were interrupted by Morgana calling Merlin to the front.

He watched as Merlin took the microphone and said an awkward “Hi” to everyone. He glanced at Arthur to see his reaction. He knew Arthur to be a big fan of Merlin’s work, as everyone involved in the production was. But he wasn’t prepared for Arthur’s reaction—the man was staring at Merlin with his mouth open in shock. He quickly slunk down into the nearest seat with his head in his hands. It appeared that Arthur had a case of hero worship as well.

Lance checked for Merlin’s reaction to this. He looked devastated for a moment before he started answering questions from the audience. After a few minutes, Morgana took back the microphone and outlined the schedule for the day. Merlin slunk back to his previous position, decidedly not looking at Arthur.

When the meeting ended, Lance saw Arthur dart from the tent. Lance knew Arthur was headed for the costume tent. Gwen was a good shoulder to cry on. He immediately ran to where Merlin and Morgana stood.

Lance explained to Morgana that he needed to borrow Merlin for a little while. They conversed while they walked along the field to the costume tent. He told Merlin that he needed to talk to Arthur, and when they got to the tent, he shoved Merlin inside. Gwen came out and, after a fangirl moment, asked Merlin to treat Arthur well. Merlin looked surprised at this but nodded anyway and went to Arthur.

“What was that all about?” Gwen asked as they walked away from the tent.

Lance grinned. “It seems those two are big fans of each other. They had a misunderstanding about coffee earlier.”

“Oh, do tell.”

“Earlier, Merlin literally ran into Arthur, spilling Arthur’s coffee all over him.”

Gwen’s eyes lit up. “Oh, that’s why he came back for his spare costume.”

“Exactly. So Merlin ended up driving to Starbucks for more coffee for Arthur, who then mistook Merlin for an intern.”

“Oh, this just keeps getting better and better.”

“When Arthur saw Merlin introduced, he went into shock, I think.”

Gwen grinned. “That explains a lot. Arthur was pretty distraught when he came in.”

“Anyway, it’s getting close to shooting time, so I’ve got to go. I suggest you give them space for a bit before you go back in. Hopefully they’ll talk it out and part as friends.”

“Sounds good. See you later, Lance.”

xxxXxxx

After they filmed the first scene, Holyn and Petraeon’s first meeting, Lance caught up with Merlin. “How do you think it went?”

“The scene?” Merlin replied, “It was breathtaking! Just as I imagined it.”

“Not that. I mean the talk with you and Arthur. How did it go?”

“It went well, I think. He apologized and we ended up talking about how actors vent their feelings versus how characters do. It was highly entertaining.”

Lance grinned. “So it was worth it to meet your hero.”

“Oh yes. And I think I might ask him out—for a cup of coffee.”