Actions

Work Header

Nonlinear Revelation

Summary:

A sequel to Moeka's Linear Bounded Phenogram story, The Quantum Awakening.

Notes:

This is my first fanfiction and I know it has some issues, this isn't fully finished and I will iron everything out. The gay stuff will come later but its sad for the first few chapters.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Quantum Reverberance

Chapter Text

The world is dark. I can’t see a thing. My vision went black after I used the last of my strength to give Kurisu and Mayuri my phone, having written a D-Mail in order to fix this. A D-mail to FB years in the past telling him I won’t become a rounder. I knew this D-Mail would certainly lead to me, well, no longer being around. Me being absent would allow Okabe to keep the IBN 5100, it would undo my actions. I let myself go.

The world remained dark, unfeeling and quiet. A moment went by feeling like an eternity when suddenly I felt my sense of hearing come back to me.


“Moeka-san, wake up!” I hear a voice calling to me. It’s Kurisu’s, I’d recognize her voice anywhere. She’s telling me to wake up? I wonder why I can still hear her voice.


“Wake up, sleepy head!” That voice was definitely Mayuri. Her enthusiasm in everything she says is unmistakable. I didn’t understand why I could hear their voices until it finally clicked. I must have finally reached another-

heaven.

 

I open my eyes expecting to see something grand, but instead I see myself laying on the couch of the lab. I feel Mayuri’s giant Upa plush up against the back of my head. I’m wearing some sort of apron? It’s green and says something about CRTs from what I can see. I turn my head to see Mayuri and Kurisu sitting on the floor next to me. Okabe is off in the corner drinking a Dr. Pepper.

“She’s awake!” Mayuri yells, startling me a little bit. Her joy is unreal but completely her.


“I can see that Mayuri, I’m not blind.” Kurisu says, “Moeka, I’m glad you’re awake, you’ve been asleep for 6 hours now.” 6 hours? They saw me fall asleep? The last thing they should have seen of me was me bleeding out on the floor. I thought I would be in some sort of heaven but this feels so real. I could reach out and touch their faces and it wouldn’t feel anything out of the ordinary.


“Mayushii missed you Moeka!!” Mayuri pouts a little bit, “Mayushii was also worried, you don’t usually sleep this long!”


“She’s probably just a bit extra tired from working overtime at the CRT shop. There’s barely any customers except for yesterday. Felt like the whole damn town wanted a CRT.” Okabe chimes in from the corner. He’s looking at some gadget in his little workshop section of the lab. What’s this about me working overtime at a CRT shop? I know I’ve never worked there before in my life. This all feels too strange to be some heaven.


I turn my head to look directly at Mayuri, her smile is infectious. She’s truly happy to see me awake. I can feel my eyes start to water before a streak of liquid goes down my cheek. I don’t deserve to see her so happy, not after what I did. It doesn’t make sense. Mayuri’s expression changes to a look of confusion and worry as I start crying harder.


“Moeka? What’s wrong? Did Mayushii say something wrong?” She’s so worried about me, like she’s really my friend.


“Moeka what’s going on? Is everything alright?” Kurisu says as she moves closer to me. She says this with the same worry Mayuri has, she’s genuinely worried about me of all people. I shift my body on the couch to be a bit more sideways as I grab Mayuri and pull her in to my arms, my head resting in her chest, my tears soaking her dress. Mayuri was surprised but immediately held me back. She was always astute with what to do in an emotional experience. Kurisu was taken aback but moved in to get in the hug as well. These two girls, my friends, hugged me so tightly. I don’t deserve this. I don’t deserve this at all.


“Mayuri, Kurisu,, I’m so sorry.” I say through my tears. “So much happened, I did a lot of bad things, I almost kill-” I stopped my sobbing becoming even louder. Okabe sharply and suddenly turned his gaze towards me. I couldn’t see it but I heard him get out of his chair to look at me. “I almost killed you Mayuri, I was so close to pulling the trigger before I stopped myself. I’m so sorry.” Mayuri and Kurisu were both insanely confused, believing me to just be talking about a bad dream. Okabe was shocked at what I was saying, I heard him drop his Dr Pepper to the floor, luckily he had put the lid back on before he stood up.


“You *almost* killed Mayuri?” Okabe was shaking with his words. He seemed far more confused than the hugging me. He regained his composure somewhat before asking me, “Moeka, I need to talk to you on the roof as soon as possible. Girls make sure she’s okay and send her up to me.” He walked out the door, presumably up to the roof. The door shutting behind his lab coat.

I was silent as the two girls hugged me, a crying mess on the lab’s only couch.