Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-07-12
Updated:
2022-11-29
Words:
9,613
Chapters:
12/?
Comments:
39
Kudos:
376
Bookmarks:
77
Hits:
7,508

Cold Truths

Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Warm humid air hit Ed’s face as he stepped off the train. He took a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for the stares and whispers, before he started walking. Ed’s been to Central many times. Not just for work related reasons, but because the rest of his family lives in Central. His mom tried her best to not go back home but occasionally she has to visit. 

 

The Armstrong Family is an illustrious and noble family, that has served in the military for generations. But most importantly, their genetics are weird! They are all gifted with impeccable strength and all the members have a curled forelock and shared by as well as a similarly curled moustaches for the men. 

 

But thanks to Ed’s shitty genetics he can’t grow facial hair. At first, he was pissed but lately, after seeing all his men complain about their beards, Edward was glad he didn’t have to worry about that stuff.

 

More eyes fell on him as he got closer to Central Command Centre. Ed used to feel embarrassed from all the attention that he got wearing his uniform, but now he wears his rank with pride. 

 

Another thing that uses to bother him a lot was how short he is. Armstrong’s are naturally tall but somehow, he’s managed to stay at 4,11 for four years now. But after fighting he learned how useful it is to be small in fights and a lot of his combat style relies on being fast and small.

 

Before he knew it, he was at his destination. 

 


 

Al was starting to loss hope.

 

‘The Surnames Handbook: A Guide to Family Name Research’ and ‘Surnames, DNA, and Family History’ both were useless and that only left Al with one more book. ‘Famous State Alchemist’s from 1900-present’ it was punished two years ago so maybe it could help Al

 

He opened it up, skipping past the introduction and started flipping the pages looking for last names that start with A. Of course, it was alphabetized by their codenames and not their last names. He got to the letter F and Al gasped, shocked to see what he was looking for.

 

The Fullmetal Alchemist is a up and coming alchemist. Known for his no nonsense attitude and his cold personality. Of course, that’s to be expected from someone raised in Fort Briggs. Son of Major General Armstrong, Edward Briggs Armstrong is a mystery. Joining the military at twelve years old and disappearing back into Fort Briggs.

 

He found it!

 

Al found his dad sleeping on a couch and woke him up.

 

“What?” He asked surprised.

 

“I won!” He said holding up the book.

 


 

“Well, Fullmetal. You have proven yourself worthy to continue being a State Alchemist. Congratulations,”

 

“Thank you, sir,” he saluted at the superior officer.

 

As soon as Ed was out of the office he sighed. His exam was always so easy, it’s a waste of his time. He could be home with his mom and leading his men. But instead, he had to take a test so easy that a five-year-old could past it!  Walking though the halls of Central, Ed was hoping to get out of here as fast as possible, even if he didn’t know where he will be going.

 

“Fullmetal!” But of course, Roy Mustang had to show up.

 

Ed has known Roy as long as he’s been in the military. He uses to be one of the men in charge of the State Alchemist exam, but now he was stationed at Eastern Command so he hasn’t seen him since the last joint training with the East.

 

He wonders if he knows he was promoted? Ed took his record of the youngest Colonel. They were the same rank now! No longer could he annoy him with his comments about his height and if his mom was single.

 

“Flame Alchemist,” Ed said in a monotone voice and he makes sure his face isn’t showing any emotion what so ever.

 

“It’s been a while. I almost didn’t see you there. I see you haven’t grown one bit since I last saw you,”

 

Was this his punishment for having a short temper back then? Well, Mustang had another thing coming if he thought he could push him around he had another thing coming!

 

“I’m glad your tall it gives me more of you to dislike,”

 

“I see your still as sarcastic as ever,”

 

“I hide behind sarcasm because telling you to go fuck yourself is rude in most social situations,”

 

Roy’s eyebrow twitched before speaking in a serious tone.

“That’s no way to speak to a superior officer, Major,”

 

“Are sure about that?” He said matching Mustang’s tone.

 

Roy looked at his uniform and slowly his face contoured into a shocked mess.”

 

“What! How can you be promoted two whole ranks!”

 

Before he could ask more questions, Ed started to walk away. As soon as his back was turned, he started to grin.

 

Maybe this trip wouldn’t be so bad after all.

 

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I had fun writing this chapter.