Actions

Work Header

The (Cursed) Avatar- Book 3: Heat Circulation

Summary:

The Cursed Avatar was struck down by the burning hands of the Princess.

All major Earth Kingdom hubs, Omashu, Gaoling, Ba Sing Se, have fallen.

The Earth Kingdom was under Fire Nation control.

That steady climb, the patience, the hard work that was put into making the people believe in the Cursed Avatar. It was gone. The new hope the people held was quickly fading. The enemy was winning and there was nothing anyone could do.

And all is lost.

That is...

Until those unseeng eyes open once again.

And won't be shutting anytime soon.
__________________

Hiiii!!! Welcome to the third and final book for The (Cursed) Avatar!!!! It's finally here!! Be sure to check out thecursedavatar on Tumblr for chapter updates, doodles, and promo pictures!!!

New chapter every Friday!!!

Chapter 1: Unkillable

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Wake up, Toph" Kuruk

"Open your eyes" Gyatso

"You must get up" Roku

"Everyone is waiting for you" Kyoshi 

Familiar and unfamiliar voices surrounded her but she knew their names all the same. They were the same. She was them and they were her. All parts of the same whole, all sharing the same spirit or, at least at one point. The Avatars of her previous lifetimes called out for her, telling her to move, move, move. 

Toph felt them hover over her and although it did nothing, she kept her eyes shut tightly closed. 

"If you do nothing now, you've already failed" Roku spoke again 

The current Avatar groaned, "Alright I'm up, I'm getting up," She rasped as she rolled over to her side , "Fuck..." She hissed in pain

Everything hurt. 

Toph's body ached and throbbed all over. Her head was pounding and her chest burned . Her arms and legs were so heavy she could hardly lift them. What the fuck happened? 

With tremendous effort, will power, and clenched teeth, Toph pulled herself to sit up. She was on a soft bed and she threw her feet over the mattress and onto the cold, metallic floor. 

Where was she? 

Toph grunted again as she lifted her arm up and she felt herself. There were bandages wrapped tightly around her chest and shoulders, on her arms and a couple scratchy patches on her legs. She felt the baggy pants that she always wore on but had no shirt on, her chest was covered by the wrappings. All the bandages, combined with the tear jerking pain, restricted her movement greatly. She could feel her hair tickle her back, reaching down all her way to the middle of her spine. Why was her hair down- fuck, her head hurts. 

"Why'd you guys want me up anyway..." The injured Earthbender weakly questioned before realizing…

The Avatars were gone, she didn't feel their weight on the floor, or the water their veins carried, or even the vibrations the air bounced off of them. They had vanished. 

With a wince and a deep breath, Toph pushed herself up and off the bed, using the wooden dresser by the bedside to hold herself up. Her legs shook as she stood, they felt like fucking jelly. 

Her hands skidded across the top of the bureau until her fingers found her headband that she didn't even realize she wasn't wearing.

Toph raised her arms to put it on but sharply brought them back down with a hiss. She couldn't even lift her arms high enough to reach her head.

She put her beloved headband in her pants pocket as she felt the area with her feet. This entire place, even outside her room, it was entirely metal- good thing she knows Metalbending (because she's awesome). Toph also realized that the entire space was enclosed and pointed, she could feel people above, walking around. 

She was- oh spirits, on a ship

She was sure to be sick if they hit any waves. Thankfully, the water seemed calm right now.

Leaning heavily on the wall, Toph managed to lift one leg over the other and fumble out of the room. She began to pathetically stumble down the hallway. 

Where were her friends? Where was Sokka? Or Katara? Or Aang? What fucking happened anyway? Everything felt really... fuzzy , like she had just awoken from a really long and really weird dream about storms or a circus or something... 

Toph last remembered Omashu… Or was it Aang's village? Wasn't she learning about chakras? And then she invented Metalbending! Wait no, first she drank some onion and banana juice… But then what happened after that- if anything . The girl felt her brain pulse painfully as she cursed with every step she took, feeling her body get heavier and heavier with every second. 

Her skin crawled at the horrifying prospect that she was alone on a ship in the middle of the sea, weak, injured, and unable to remember anything of how she ended up here. Alone with none of the people she cared about and completely, utterly defenseless.

Eventually, Toph was able to crawl her way to the top of the ship. When she stood on the deck, the air felt cold and damp, she was lucky that she mastered maintaining her body temperature using Airbending or she would have been freezing on account of wearing nothing but pants and bandages. 

Getting a clearer view and fresh air, she could feel over a dozen heartbeats, some of which she could easily recognize while others were completely foreign. The Avatar's ears filled with the sounds of gasps from various people around her. 

Suddenly, someone pressed up against her and wrapped their arms firmly around her waist and Toph immediately knew it was Katara. She wanted to hug her back just as tightly but simply didn't have the strength. Instead, she placed her hands on the Waterbender's lower back and rested her head in the nook of the girl's shoulder. 

"Toph! I can't believe it, you're awake!" She moved back slightly, now her hands were cupping Toph's face, fingers tangling into her messy mop of black hair, "You're really awake!"

Of course she was awake? When people sleep, they usually wake up after a couple hours. 

The 12 year old blinked and asked through squished cheeks, "Uh… Why wouldn't I be?" 

She felt Katara's heart out in a sudden thump , a shock running down her spine. Why did that happen? What happened? 

"Toph, do you-"

Suddenly, Wander charged in their direction, groaning and sniffing Toph excitedly, his large tongue licking her face as she cackled, "Oh hey, buddy!" It hurt too much to raise her arms so the Avatar settled for scratching the badgermole's leg, she turned her head to face Katara, "What were you saying-"

"TOOOOPPHH!" 

Aang shoved past the 14 year old and slammed right into Toph, throwing his arms over her shoulders, "We were so worried! I'm so happy you're okay!" Appa was with him too, stomping happily 

The boy squeezed her buring shoulders so tight it made her see fucking stars. A sharp pain stabbed through her shoulders and shook her entire being violently. Instinctively, she pushed him away. 

Sokka came over and patted her several times on the back, causing her to weakly stumble forward (and she already had enough of all this manhandling , it was painful!), "Toph! It's good to see you! I'm glad you're up and about, ready to annoy everyone again!"

Why was everyone talking like that? Like she has been gone or something for forever? She was only sleeping. What the fuck was happening, why were her friends speaking this way, why was her body completly wrecked, and most importantly, why were they on a fucking boat?!

Toph smiled at them but it quickly twisted into a painful wince, she took a step forward but nearly fell over it wasn't for Katara's arms that reached out and caught her. 

She leaned into the Waterbender for support, feeling her hands snake gently around her torso, "Let's go sit. You shouldn't be on your feet for too long"  

Toph found herself nodding almost eagerly, happy to try and relieve some of the pain that she has been biting her lip because of since she woke up not even ten minutes ago, "Can someone tell me what's happen-"

" Toph!" 

Her eyes widened at the voice. It was Dad-pher. Her dads were here?! Holy shit! A wave of relief washed over Toph at the comfort of knowing they were strong enough to handle themselves in Gaoling. 

"Dads!" She gritted her teeth at the pain that throbbed through her tiny body but smiled nonetheless

She took a step forward only to be met much more than half way by her parents. They enveloped her in a hug with six pairs of arms that nearly took her off her feet and she felt Dad-Ko and Bol-Dad shaking, they were crying. Why were they crying?

She weakly pushed them back, "What's wrong? Are you guys okay?" 

Fire Dad nodded, grinning wetly, "We're just really happy to see you. We're fine" His voice cracked near the end of it in a struggle to keep his composure 

That last part was a lie. They weren't fine. Why would they lie to her? Why weren't they fine? What the fuck happened?

Before Toph could say anything more they pulled her back into the hug, squeezing her tighter than even Aang did. She let them, biting through the throbbing and the stabbing and the pulsing and tried her hardest not to let it show. 

She missed them all so much since Gaoling and even though it was just a little more than a week since then, she was happy to see them again. When they squeezed harder, she did so back, uncaring of how her fathers' arms were unknowingly digging into her bandages and wounds (why did she have those anyway?)

Her parents seemed to miss her just as much as she missed them since their paths parted in their hometown because the hug went on for a long while. 

When she was finally able to tear herself away from them, Toph looked up at them, smiling weakly and pressing her eyebrows together from underneath her bangs, "Can someone please tell me what's happening now? Why're we on a ship? Where are we?"

Dad-Po laughed, "You're probably really confused," He ruffled her hair but his fingers got tangled in the strands, obviously not used to handling her with her hair down, "Don't worry we can explain everything" 

Toph sighed in relief as they stood up straight and tall, "That's good, I really feel like I'm missing a lot of things right now and-"

Holy fucking shit.

She stopped. 

Zuko was standing a couple meters away. 

Zuko.

He was staring right at her and he was here (with Momo on his shoulder) . Why was he here? Were they all captured by Fire Nation? Was this a Fire Nation ship? Did he want to attack her friends? Attack her?! 

He must have noticed her attention turned towards him because he began to walk over slowly, he opened his mouth to speak only to have Toph cut him off. 

 

"What the... FUCK!" She shouted before adrenaline coursed through her veins, giving her dads a push behind her as she jumped forward

Toph jerked her bandaged hands up, a gust of air bursting out from her and blowing the 16 year old back, " Wait! No- stop, what're you doing!?" He screamed as the lemur flew away from them

She didn't answer, the Avatar only responded by leaping forward and throwing her fist into him, which he caught with his right hand, shoving her hand back down. She twisted her body, throwing her other fist, it colliding right in his face.  

He grunted and doubled back. Toph went for another punch but he grabbed it this time, holding it and jamming his knee right into her elbow which made her yell loudly, " AAUGGH!"  

Huffing, the Avatar stomped on the floor and the metal flooring creaked and curled up, encasing his legs and plunging him backwards and slamming his back on the wall outside the steering room (thank you, Metalbending). 

BAM!

"Both of you! Stop it!" Someone called out but neither listened

"Did she just move the metal?"

She ran to him and kneed him right in the gut which made him groan out in pain, the metal tore off from his lower body and he firmly grabbed both of her shoulders and squeezed hard , digging his fingers into her wounds and tearing the bandages.

She gave a blood curdling scream and held his forearms, to which he placed a fiery foot on her chest and kicked her back, burning her chest. 

But Toph refused to fall, she stumbled and shook her head, trying not to focus on the burning of her chest or the palpitating in her shoulders.

"Is that all you... got..." Toph's words noticeably slurred as she felt the fresh wounds that were the reason she had the bandages on her shoulders open 

Warm blood was trickling down her shoulders and chest and she felt her head spin and senses begin to fuzz.

The Earthbender shook her head again and tried to blink away the sensations, uncaring of all the blood- she was going to protect her friends. And although it was proving to be a struggle to stay standing, Toph went back into a fighting stance, about to charge into the Firebender… 

Until she felt two hands on either of her bloody shoulders. She stopped. 

Iroh. 

What the fuck?

"Why don't we all calm down?" He spoke wearily 

Toph fainted.

 ____________________

"-Oh hey, I think she's waking up"

"Let's hope she doesn't go crazy again"

"Maybe we should've told her before she saw him, she didn't know" 

Toph woke to the sound of voices again, but instead of the mighty, all powerful Avatars from before, they were the voices of prepubescent, loud teenagers.

And everything fucking hurt. 

Again.

She felt a soft mattress under her, she was back in the same room she had woken up in before. The Avatar groaned and went to sit up but felt a hand on her thickly bandaged chest, it forced her back to laying down. 

"You need to lay down, Toph," Katara said slowly but firmly, she was sitting up right by her side on the bed, "You just lost a lot of blood and you'll reopen your wounds again"

She frowned her brow and hummed but said nothing. The 14 year old was hovering cool water over a not-so-bad injury on her stomach, healing it. Toph wanted to reach up and grab her hands, to tell her that it hurt most on her shoulders but she could barely even move.

Aang was sitting on her left on the bed, right by her side. Sokka and Suki were standing by the edge of the bed near Katara and Yue was sitting on the foot of the bed- 

Wait, Yue? 

" Princess?" Her voice was raspy and weak, she sounded like shit 

The princess smiled at her, "Long time no see, Toph. It's…" She paused, " Good to see you" 

"Ha, no it's not. You're all fucked up" 

"SOKKA!" 

" I'M SORRY! YOU KNOW I MAKE JOKES WHEN I'M NERVOUS!"

Katara's hands finally left her side and with her help, Toph was able to sit up with only a handful of pained gasps. The Waterbender sat more on the bed and closer to her so Toph was able to lean against her for support as they sat. 

The last thing Toph remembered was fighting Zuko and then Iroh was there? Was that a dream? Was this the first time she woke? Did those things not happen? Surely not, Iroh wouldn't be here, not to mention Zuko.

"I-... I'm so confused. Was Zuko here?" She asked hazily, leaning further into Katara, the back of her head rested in the crook of the Waterbender's neck, "Was he-was he here? Is he here?! Didn't he side with the Fire Nation or something?!" The details were blurry but she recalled something like that, she jogged her memory for more, "Back in… Omashu? It was Omashu, right? What the fuck!?"

"Uh actually…" Suki began, folding her arms, "He changed- surprising I know. He betrayed Azula for us and basically saved our skins back in Omashu"

"He WHAT!?" 

Aang nodded, "Yeah, he attacked her and got us out of there with his nice uncle after you… you know with Azula"

"No, I don't know!" Toph shouted, growing frustrated, "Because apparently Zuko betrayed Azula after she did something to me in… in Omashu…" 

It came back to her. 

Azula

She placed her hands on her shoulders and electrocuted her. Toph could still feel her searing hands on her, nails that dug into her skin as she sent a jolt of pure electricity down her spine. She remembered how her joints spasmed uncontrollably and her muscles tensed. 

Toph cupped her hands on her shoulders without realizing. What the fuck? Why did she do that back there? 

Azula was so scared and her heart gave such hopeful beats when she grabbed Toph's hand. But then it changed . It changed in such a heartbreaking fucking way. It was fast in all the wrong ways. It turned twisted and angry and sad, so fucking sad... 

Then it went quiet. 

Omashu! It was getting invaded right now! Why the fuck are they on ship aw ay from it!? They should be back there, fighting! Who fucking cared if she was injured, she was awake now , they need to go back! Now!

" Nononono, Azula she- We have to get to Omashu, the people -Kuo, Lee, Mushi- they're probably hurt and Bumi- where's Bumi!? We need to go!" 

Toph rubbed her face roughly and frantically tried to climb off the bed but Katara held her in place, arms folding around her, "Toph wait! You need to stop moving!"

"We…" Aang whispered, placing a hand on her arm, " Can't go back to Omashu…"

The Earthbender whipped her head around to the boy, angry and frustrated, " Why not!?"

"Toph, after Omashu fell- after you fell, we had to run, we were thankful to have Zuko and Iroh to help us get outta there," Sokka started to explain, "By the time we found this ship, we found out that Ba Sing Se and Gaoling were conquered at the same time Azula invaded Omashu. It was all planned, there was no way we could've stopped it..."

Toph ceased her struggle in Katara's arms.

What?

No, nononono. Toph was just there, they all were just there. She couldn't have been asleep for that long, maybe a couple hours? It was impossible that they conquered them all that quickly. They couldn't have. Because that meant if Ba Sing Se fell, the entire Earth Kingdom fell. And it was her fault. Her fault that the Fire Nation captured the hubs. 

It meant she failed and she wasn't strong enough to protect her own home . It meant that people were going to suffer because of her . It meant that the Fire Nation was just one step closer to taking over the entire world . Mastering the Avatar State was supposed to help her solve these conflicts, not create more .

"We'll leave you alone for now" Suki said, reaching over and grabbing Aang's hand 

"Huh? Oh, yeah. We'll see you later, Toph" He said, jumping over the bed and to the door 

Suki, Aang, Sokka, and Yue all quickly shuffled out the door and now it just left Toph and Katara alone. 

The war was still going and it was only going to get worse from here. Toph was going to get the Earth Kingdom back to defeat the Fire Nation, she had no choice but to do that- she never did but now the stakes are raised even higher.  

The Waterbender shifted by her side, moving to get up, "I'll check up on you in a bit-" 

The Earthbender latched onto the sleeve of her shirt, preventing Katara from getting off the bed, "Don't leave me… Please"

The girl didn't say anything for a moment. She stayed still as her eyes bored right into her soul in that intense, overwhelming way she always looked at her with, and although Toph had never seen it, she knew exactly the feeling it gave her. 

She felt the 14 year old scoot back onto the bed, coming closer to Toph to which the Avatar graciously leaned back into her. Katara's legs were folded around the Earthbender and Toph rested her head on the girl's chest.

They stayed like that for a while. Not moving seemed to be the only thing that kept Toph's near constant pain at bay. And Katara was always the comfiest pillow. 

Toph felt Katara lace her long, cold fingers in her messy, thick hair. She didn't remember her ever seeing her with her hair down before, she wished this wasn't the reason she would be seeing it for the first time. Because she was hurting so bad that couldn't even lift her arms high or for long enough to put it up. 

Toph tried to focus on Katara's breathing, how her chest would move her up and down slowly with every breath. Or how she could hear her heart beat in a calm, repetitive rhythm. Concentrating on that distracted her from the too tight bandages all over her body and gnawing feelings of failure that resonated from deep within her bones. 

But no amount of attention or prioritizing could take her mind off a terrifying question that loomed over her head. Swallowing fear in a way she has done hundreds of times, Toph stayed in the same position with one ear laying against her chest, "How long was I out?" 

She heard the sharp inhale through Katara's nose as if she were surprised by the question. The Waterbender opened her mouth, only to close it, then to open it again and speak in the same whisper Toph spoke in, "It… It was a few weeks"

Toph's breath hitched.

A few weeks? She wasn't just asleep, she was in a fucking coma. Like an actual, injury induced coma. Is that why everyone had such intense reactions upon seeing her when she came to the deck of the ship? Is that why her parents were crying? Holy shit- did everyone think she wasn't going to wake up or something? She must have scared the shit out of them.

That's why everyone was so calm about the conquering of the Earth Kingdom, they've all had weeks to let it sink in, while she's only just finding out about it now. So the Earth Kingdom has been under Fire Nation control for a while now. 

People are probably saying they were right all along. Toph was the Cursed Avatar after all. She went into a coma, they think she won't be able to win this war, or get back the territory, or beat the Fire Nation before the comet. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Toph," Katara's voice was cracking, "I should've stepped in, I wasn't fucking thinking. When you had Azula, I should've done something. You got hurt, I'm so stupid . Af-after we got the ship, I spent so much time healing you- I just couldn't stop, you were hurt so bad I...-"

The Water Tribe girl cut herself off as she bit her lip, crying silently as Toph continued to rest on her. Toph lifted her head off her to face her and placed her hands on Katara's chest, "You did all you could and I'm thankful for that, you guys probably saved my life" 

If none of them were there when Azula electrocuted her, realistically, Toph would have probably died right then and there, or at least very soon after. It was a wonder that she was even alive now . It was thanks to her friends that she was here even having this conversation and she hoped they knew that. That they didn't blame themselves for this terrible travesty.

"When you were laying there after Azula electrocuted you and you didn't move, I… I thought you died- we all did. When I'd heal you, I used to keep thinking what if you never woke up? What would we do if you died- what the fuck would happen?" Katara spoke through sharp breaths and a river of tears 

She wrapped her arms around Toph and brought in even closer somehow, burying her face in the crook of her bandaged neck, " I'm just so fucking happy you're alive…"

The Avatar didn't move, she stayed unmoving with Katara, tied up in her hold with her face buried in her chest. And painfully, she wrapped her arms around the girl's waist, returning the embrace and mumbling, " I'm going anywhere anytime soon





Her and Katara talked for a while in the room alone, about guilt, the Earth Kingdom, what was next. Sokka supposedly had a plan and she said that he would explain it to her in a little bit, so she just had to be patient. Katara also gave her a proper healing session afterwards, unwrapping all the bandages that squeezed her body. 

She was also allowed to lightly feel the two largest scars on her shoulders- the skin there was tough and slightly numb, Katara said they were red and shaped like two hand prints.

Azula's hand prints.

The palms stretched from her collarbone to the back of her shoulders and the fingers were long and reached her wingbone. They were the same on both sides. 

But now Toph was back on the top of the deck, sitting alone on one of the wooden crates that littered the ship. It was near the edge of the giant boat and it overlooked the sea, not that she cared about that, the breeze was just nice. She had new bindings wrapped around her shoulders and chest and various other patches dotting her cut skin.

The wind began to pick up a while ago, it smelt like it was going to rain soon. Toph grew pale at the idea of a storm. The mere thought of the waves rocking the entire ship was enough to make her want to hurl her brains out.

Zuko was off on the opposite side of the deck, he was talking to Sokka. Everyone seemed a little on edge with him and Iroh, she could feel it in how they stepped and in their pulses but they looked like they were adjusting, they did have a couple weeks of time with them, which was much more than her. She woke up still believing he was the misguided enemy and she attacked him. 

She wondered what made him change his mind when he betrayed Azula, she wished she was awake during that time, maybe she would have been able to help Azula as well. The girl did send her into a coma and permanently scar her and maybe she would have been more angry at Azula if she didn't remember how her heart had changed its tune in a matter of seconds... 

She went from scared, to confused, to this mix of anger and sadness. Toph couldn't stop thinking about it. Right before she shocked her, Azula was angry, she was sad, she was so many things. Why did she feel sadness? Did she not want to hurt Toph anymore? Why had she felt those things? Did she regret doing it? 

"Hey, Avatar! Spirits , you look like shit!" 

Jet? He was here too? 

He came up from behind her and hugged her gently, minding her bandages and grinned at her. She smiled, "Jet! It's been a while," She leaned forward on the box she was on slightly, he stood in front of her, "I didn't think you'd be here"

"And miss stopping the Fire Nation with you? No way! Me, Longshot, Smellerbee, The Duke, and Pipsqueak were all picked up by the others a couple weeks ago" He said 

Wow, Jet and some of the Freedom Fighters plus Princess Yue? How many other people did they pick up already while she was out? "That's great! And what about you? How've you been? Did you ever manage to talk with Smellerbee and Longshot?" 

Toph genuinely cared for Jet and his slow climb of progress with his problems. It has certainly been a while and he definitely changed, she could feel it in the way he walked, how he carried himself without that weight of anger- it was still there, but not nearly as much as when they last saw each other. 

He looked to be changing for the better and she was proud

 

Jet was thrown slightly off by her questions, "Uh… I've been fine?" It was the truth, so why did he sound so confused? He scratched his shaggy hair, "Why are you asking me how I am when you were the one who was shot with lightning and just woke up from a two month coma?"  

"Because I'm not the one who had to work through his issues with Firebending while there are two Firebenders living in the same ship as me" She folded her arms 

He chuckled and leaned against the box, closings eyes and cocking his head up to the sky, "I'm working on it, I've had a lot of time to think about Firebending," He playfully nudged at her with his shoulder, "I heard that Zuko guy chased you all around the world trying to kill you and I saw your fight this morning, you can't be exactly happy he's here. Come on, talk to me"

"No, I am happy he's here. I'm glad he's on our side, he's gone through a lot and I'm happy that he realized that what he was doing was wrong. I was just… thrown off when I saw him. I didn't expect it, you know?" 

"Yeah, I get it. Everyone's a little weird about having him and the old man around"

"Which is understandable"

"Oh of course, of course," He nodded, giggling a little, "Sokka told me you keep trying to make people talk through their feelings, don't tell me I'll have to start sharing my favorite therapist"

Toph howled at that and it felt good to laugh, "Everyone needs to have someone to listen to them sometimes," She said and it automatically reminded her of Azula. If Zuko was… good or something now, what about her? How did she react when her brother betrayed her? Toph should have tried to reach her more, "I think I really screwed up…" She pushed her bangs back only for them to fall in front of her face again

"The Earth Kingdom can always be won back and we'll be able to do this when we end the war. I dunno how comforting that sounds right now but it's the truth," He grabbed her hand, "If anyone can change the Fire Nation, it's you," He shrugged, smile picking up, "You helped me and frankly, I was worse than them. I believe in you... Me and my flower"

Toph smiled, Jet believed in her. She had helped Jet and he had given her comforting words, he cares for her. He and his flower-

Wait, flower? 

" Flower?" She repeated, had she heard him right? 

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, not too long ago I switched from chewing on wheat to chewing on a flower," He took the long flower out of his mouth and held it out to her, allowing her to feel it, "I dunno, I was tired of the taste of wheat. I think I needed a little change" 

Toph handed it back to him, smiling, "Well I think it's a nice change"

"Thanks! Hey, where's your banjo?" Jet asked, "I think this is the first time I've seen you without it"

"My banjo..?" Where was her banjo- Oh holy shit, she fucking broke it when she hit Azula with it. She doubted that anyone picked it up when they ran from Omashu, she sighed, "Gone…" 

" Hey Toph! Over here! Ready to hear our plan!?" Sokka shouted from the middle of the deck before Jet could respond, Sokka was standing next to a tall, strong man and another slightly skinner man 

The Earthbender turned to her friend and smiled, "I gotta go there, wanna come and hear a plan that I bet Sokka's repeated over a million times, Flower?" 

"Of course" He chuckled and when she hopped off the box, he ruffled her hair

The two made their way to Sokka, the man closest to him had a build similar to Bol-Dad and was only a little shorter. The other one was skinny like Dad-Ko and was taller than the broader man. Katara was standing by their side, with Yue, Aang and Suki sitting on the floor and Iroh was there too and… Oh boy, Zuko . He was sitting there as well.

She hesitated when they were a few feet away and Jet gave her a curious look and bent down slightly to meet her face and whispered, "What's up?" 

"It's gonna be so awkward being there while Zuko's there" She whispered back 

He snorted, "He's been trying to kill you for months, I think you don't need to be worried about things being 'awkward"

Spirits she hoped he was right.

Toph made a noise between a whine and a hum before trudging the last steps forward. Iroh smiled at her, "Hello Toph, it is good to see you up once again"

"Oh, thanks Iroh," She smiled before turning towards the Water Tribe boy, "Alright! So what's the plan, Ponytail?" 

She felt Jet sit down next to Yue, they were already talking- they probably became friends during her coma (and holy shit, she still can't believe she was in a coma) . Katara was grinning, "Wait Sokka, before you start. Toph, this is me and Sokka's dad" 

Their dad? The fucking Chief of the Southern Water Tribe? The guy who Sokka and Katara said that he had bravely went to fight off in the war that she was supposed to finish? The guy who's daughter she was dating?  

"I'm Hakoda, it's an honor to meet you, Avatar Toph" He raised his arm out and he and Toph grabbed each other's forearms and shook, the signature Water Tribe greeting 

"Same here, I've heard a lot about you, Chief Hakoda" She grinned 

Sokka smiled excitedly, "Oh! And this is Bato, dad's boyfriend. He's been a family friend since before me and Katara were even born!" 

"Nice to meet you too, Bato" Okay so far so good, she was doing fine considering she was asleep for two months and dealing with severe jet lag

They shook arms and Bato smiled at her, "I met Avatar Kuruk once in my 20's you know" 

"You can't tell everyone you meet how you met him once, it's not a proper greeting" Hakoda rolled his eyes with a smile 

"You met Hero- I mean, Kuruk!?" She beamed. Where? Was it at the Northern Water Tribe or maybe he met him when the Avatar was traveling the world?

Bato elbowed Hakoda in the ribs, "She gets it" He whispered 

"Alright, now that you met Katara's girlfriend-" 

"They're dating?" 

"-We can move onto the invasion plan!" Sokka shouted. Oh fucking shit, they didn't know? Well she's definitely not going to be the one to tell the men. She quickly sat down, sitting in between Katara and Aang

Sokka pulled up a wooden crate and sat on it. Toph heard the sound of crinkling paper and she guessed he was holding a map, most likely for the visual explanation that he forgot she didn't need, she said nothing. 

"After what happened in Omashu, we had to get you to safety. Iroh led us into the mountains by the sea where we found my dad and the other Water Tribe men," He explained, his fingers pointing to various spots on the paper map, "Soon, the bay was overrun by Fire Nation ships. Rather than fight them all, we captured a single ship and made it our disguise. Since then we've been traveling west. We passed the Abbey a few days ago. We've seen a few Fire Nation ships, but none have bothered us so far"

"Okay so… What now?" She asked 

Hakoda spoke this time, he cleared his throat in an effort to recover from his apparently new discovery, "We've been working on a modified version of Sokka's invasion plan. We won't be able to mount a massive invasion without the Earth Kingdom's armies, but the solar eclipse will still leave the Fire Nation vulnerable"

"So we're planning a smaller invasion. Just a ragtag team of our friends and allies from around the world," Sokka added, "We already ran into a lot of people; Jet, Yue, Smellerbee, Longshot, Pipsqueak and The Duke"

"Woo-hoo, team Earth Kingdom!" Jet punched the air, then he nudged Yue who was by his side and whispered, " Yue, your turn" 

"Huh? Oh! And team Water Tribe!" Yue then shouted after him 

Aang giggled and patted Toph's leg, "But we still have a lot more to go! We're planning on getting Teo and Manchu too!"

"Yep, and the best part is the eclipse isn't even our biggest advantage!" He spoke excitedly and leaned down, whispering, "We have a secret!... You!"  

"Me?" 

How was she their secret advantage? The world already knew about her and the Earth Kingdom. Did he mean the Avatar State? She did master it and she can go in and out of it at will now, it was a very incredible asset to have. 

"Yes! The whole world thinks you're dead!" He grins and raises his fists triumphantly, "Isn't that great?"

The world thinks she's… dead? People believed she died? How is that an advantage?! Her face dropped and her eyes widened.

"Sokka! We said we weren't gonna tell her today!" Suki shouted, "We were supposed to wait a few days"

Aang nodded, "That news sucks, we agreed on that. It sucks when everyone thinks you're dead… Not that I would know or anything…"

"I don't get it, this is great! You guys dunno what you're talking about," Sokka shook his head before kneeling down on the floor in front of Toph, he placed a hand on her shoulder lightly but took it off when he remembered her wounds, "This means the Fire Nation won't be hunting us anymore. They think the next Avatar was born into the Fire Nation. They won't be expecting you on the Day of Black Sun"

Toph stared blankly ahead, still processing. 

If everyone thought she died at Omashu, that meant exactly what Sokka said, that the next Avatar was born into the next cycle: Fire. The people have probably given up hope that this world will be saved if the Fire Nation has the Avatar on their side. 

Spirits, she's going to be sick.

She couldn't have people giving up, it was bad enough she let the Earth Kingdom fall under the enemy's control, she couldn't have them thinking she died as well! 

But they'll have the upper hand on the day of the invasion in their surprise. 

But people think she's dead! But-

Toph shook her head, her voice higher than normal, "I-I think this is fucking insane. I…" She struggled to stand up and immediately three or four hands were extended to her but she denied them all, the metal on the deck's floor hoisted her up to standing before going back into its previous, flat spot, "I gotta go. I need to think this over" 

Before anyone could stop her, Toph made haste to her room. What the fuck was she going to do? This was fucking crazy. 

She stepped inside the room and walked in, gaze fixed on the floor as she absentmindedly waved a limp hand, causing the heavy door to slam shut behind her with Metalbending. 

Toph tripped to the bed and sat down on it, keeping her feet firmly on the floor and she buried her face in her hands.

Alright, cons of this fucked up predicament she basically killed herself to get into: 

She hated it, everyone thought she was dead, the people of the world have lost hope in the Avatar, and they'll have to basically go undercover and be careful again just like how they were in the beginning of their adventure when they were still getting to the Northern Water Tribe. 

And pros: everyone thought she was dead, the Fire Nation won't be expecting her during the invasion, they won't be hunting her down, and they'll be busy in their search for their next baby, Firebending Avatar (who doesn't exist).  

Okay, there's four in the cons but one of her reasons was that she hates it so that doesn't count. So there were three in each and one reason was the same on both: Everyone thinks she's dead. But it made sense! Everyone thinking she was dead is good and bad! 

It would make sense to go with this plan but it sucked . It sucked so much and did she really have a choice honestly? It seemed like Sokka and the rest had already come up with the entire thing while she was in a coma, is there any time to really change it? 

Toph gave a muffled groan from behind her hands, "This is fucked uppp… " She was really living up to that stupid Cursed Avatar title. And she needed to focus on training- there was still Water and Air to master.

… 

And possibly Fire? Both Zuko and Iroh are technically on their side, could they teach her? Fucking shit, another thing she needed to think about-

Her thoughts were cut short with her door creaking open, her dads hesitantly stepped in, "Your friends said you ran away pretty quickly" Dad-Po said

"I didn't run away!" She cried out before realizing that they meant just now, she hummed frustratingly and clasped her hands on her face again

Toph didn't move even as they shuffled over to her, Dad-Ko sat on her right and rested a hand on her back as a comfort while the rest stayed standing near or found a spot close to her to sit on the bed.

"Did you guys know?" She asked, not bearing to lift her head. She had to know if her parents knew. How did they feel about this plan? Did they like it? Hate it? Were they as torn as she was about it? 

Dad-Ko sucked his teeth in a way he always did when he didn't wanna talk about something but was going to anyway. Gently holding her bandaged hands and moving them away from her face, he spoke, "When… When your friends came to us on this giant, Fire Nation ship- we assumed the worst, that something happened to you. That you were hurt or… worse. Then when we got to see you," He inhaled shakily, "No one was able to give us a straight answer on if you were gonna be okay, Toph"

"It was scary and we didn't want you to die- not even because the next Avatar will be Fire Nation or for the fate of this war, but because you're our daughter. We love you and it hurt to see you hurt, in a literal coma for two months," Fire Dad said, standing by the edge of the bed, "We didn't know if you were gonna wake up or not and then Sokka told us about this plan for when you do… I personally don't like the plan but I'm not the one who's ' dead"

Bol-Dad nodded, "Yeah. I don't think any of us like it but it isn't our decision to make on whether to change it or not, it's yours" 

"I… I dunno. I mean, if I stay 'dead' it takes the heat - literally- off us all but if I don't then we'll lose our element of surprise! People probably think that the Fire Nation won, but they didn't- because I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere!" Toph shouted 

If she stayed dead then they'll be sneaking around for who knows how long but if she stayed alive and lets the world know that she's alive, that puts everyone in danger...

"Pretending to be dead sounds like a lot of waiting and you're good at that," Dad-Pher said, "Not to say that I agree with the plan, I don't like you having to be dead. But I'm just saying" 

What was she gonna fucking do?

____________________

It was late, really late. The sky was dark and it had rained for a good part of the day, it had only just stopped a couple hours ago, now the moon was able to be visible in the cold of night. Everyone had gone to sleep a long while ago but Zuko was still up, wandering around the ship like a lost soul. 

Today had been more than eventful. The Avatar, whose name he had learned was Toph (after all these months chasing her, he had never bothered to learn her name even though she knew his), had finally woken up today after a two month coma after her battle with Azula which ended in her getting electrocuted by that monster

Zuko remembered it like it was yesterday, after Toph's body hit the floor- he realized something. He realized what he was doing- siding with Azula, siding with the Fire Nation was wrong . His life in Omashu with Uncle, that was what he wanted. He wanted to be good , he wanted to change and not for the worse. 

So he attacked her, he attacked Azula and Toph's friends had joined in. Azula shot him with lightning which he managed to redirect with the technique his uncle taught him, it was probably the first time he ever saw Azula actually surprised (it felt good).

After that, they found Uncle and got the fuck out of there. They've been on this boat ever since and needless to say, he still had a long way to go before anyone here trusted him but he was willing to keep trying. Uncle said that gaining trust after wrongdoing takes time, he suggested taking a page out of the Avatar's book and learning some patience. 

But there has been some progress. Sokka liked cracking jokes with him and getting him upset, Aang didn't seem to have that much of a problem with him and would really just hang out with anyone, especially since his best friend was in a deep sleep until today, Katara sometimes grew angry and frustrated at his attempts but most of the time, she was neutral which he was lucky for.

That Suki girl swore that he burned her village once before but he's burned down a lot of villages before. But she's okay with him, she wasn't wearing her Kyoshi Warrior uniform or makeup because they couldn't risk being spotted but she did say she would teach him how to apply it if she ever had the time- to which he had to deny (boys don't makeup, he's learned that from a young age).

He was outside on the deck now, the wet floor made many sounds under his feet as he walked and his face still ached from the Avata-... Toph's punch from earlier today. Even after she was severely injured and in a two month long coma, she was still incredibly strong. 

She reminded him of Azula in that way. 

And- Oh shit, speak of the devil, Toph was here . She was standing by the ledge of the boat, leaning on the short gates and looking over the ocean (or not? She was blind). Fuck

Alright Zuko, just slowly back away. She won't hear you and you'll keep your face for another day and- 

"You don't need to leave just for me, you know" 

Fucking shit. 

"I wasn't" 

"Right, you were just coincidentally heading to bed after wandering around for hours right as you saw me" She hadn't turned to him while she spoke, all he saw of her was her small frame and long black hair, it wasn't in her usual large bun that she had always kept it in, it was down still- it was like that all day. It reminded him of a lion's mane or the coat of a wild badgermole

He walked over to her and stood by her side, hands resting on the gate and looking out at the calm ocean, the moonlight twinkled against the water in a way that made it look like it was glowing. It reminded him of the way the girl by his side's eyes glowed when she was last in the Avatar State in Omashu. 

They stood in silence for a long while which made Zuko uncomfortable, he liked yelling and he knew that Toph did too. Nearly every time their paths would cross, they would yell so much that by the time he lost her, his voice was sore and throat was raw. 

The deck was damp, after Sokka told Toph the plan, it began to rain incredibly hard. They were sailing through a storm for a couple hours the rest of the day and it only just eased up a while ago. And apparently the Avatar gets terribly motion sick, if the others' jokes about her were any true. Toph was in one of the ship's rooms, vomiting her brains out supposedly. He never knew she could get so sick like that. 

If he knew this while he was still trying to kill her, all he would have had to do was get her on his ship and she would probably kill herself for him.

"So where's your mom?" He asked finally, just honestly wishing to break this silence 

She turned to look at him, her hair blowing in the breeze, "Huh?" 

"Your mom, where's she?" He repeated but when he gained no response, he decided to explain it again, "One of those guys is your dad, right? So where's your mom, you know, his wife?"

"Oh," She then spoke the next part calmly, why was she so calm? Zuko suspected that she would be tearing his eyes out after the hell he had put her through these months, "I don't have a mom, those guys are my parents"

"All of them!?" He knew he should have just counted his blessings and left it at that but his exclamation came out of his mouth faster than he realized 

The Avatar giggled, " Yes, all of them"

All of them were her parents? How is that even possible? Not only were there six of them, they were all… men. Big, strong, handsome men.

"And they're all… together? Like they," He swallowed and he couldn't believe he was going to say this, " Love… each other?"

"Just as any other couple," Toph couldn't help a smile crawling on her face, "It's not weird or strange, it's love. They're like any other couple, just with a few more people," He gave her a strange look and she asked, "You don't have poly in the Fire Nation, do you?" 

" Poly…? I have no idea what you're talking about so probably not" 

What the fuck is a poly? Is that some kinda thing that's allowed in the Earth Kingdom or something? Where you can have six dads or maybe the Avatar is only allowed? No, that's stupid and it doesn't make sense. 

"Hey uh… I'm sorry for today, for fighting you and then kinda passing out," Toph said, she kept her gaze locked ahead on the water, "That wasn't cool and I'm sorry. Everyone told me what you did back in Omashu after I passed out, you saved them" 

He saved them? No, all he did was get them out of there and away from Azula to get to Uncle. Well, maybe that counts. If it weren't for him, they would have all probably been captured by the Fire Nation. 

Zuko shrugged, "Don't worry about it. If I were you, I'd probably beat me up too. I was a pain in your ass for months, I deserved it"

"Yeah, maybe you did," She grinned, "I always wanted you to come to realize what you were doing wrong, I'm happy you're finally finding peace" 

She sounded like Uncle Iroh now, he scoffed, "You shouldn't have to be happy, I should've known since the beginning" 

"You can't control what you do and don't know, all you can do is learn and grow from it. And you grew, I think there's plenty to be happy about, even if we're new to being friends" 

Friends? They were already considered friends? What the fuck, they were just fighting this morning and the last time she was awake, they were killing each other. But now they're friends and she's… happy for him? She's happy that he chose the right side, that he was learning

Maybe Toph wasn't some stupid, Earth Kingdom hick who was too naive because of her age. Maybe she was actually a really smart kid who was able to understand right from wrong and wanted to help others not because she was an idiot, but because she was kind . She was showing him kindness with this... forgiveness? Spirits, she's already been through so much today: waking up, fighting him thinking he was the enemy, passing out again, finding out she was in a coma and then that everyone thought she was dead, and sea sickness to top it all off. And now she was forgiving him? 

And not just that, she wanted to be friends . Or well, she just claimed him as a friend. She trusted him enough to be friends. Why? How was she so sure he wouldn't betray her or attack her right now? He certainly could, she was still weak from her injuries. What made her know that he was alright, that he was trustworthy? 

They were so different . Toph never had to push down her true feelings in order to appease those around her, she never had to hide who she was in fear of not being what everyone always wanted her to be. She could never understand. She knew the right thing to say and when to say it, she was patient and strong in a way he could never be. 

The way he compared himself to her, it reminded Zuko of how he would compare himself to his sister. Because Azula was the prodigy Firebender, because Azula was smarter, because Azula had all the brightest ideas, because Azula was loved more, because Azula was better. And Toph was 12, four years younger than him. And he was comparing her to his perfect sister. 

They were so similar.  

"I… I'm not as good of a Firebender as my sister or something but I'm pretty good… I can be your Firebending Sensi, Avat- Toph..." He said, hands tightening around the cold, metal bars of the gates, "You're right, I am learning. And I realized that my destiny isn't to be the Prince of the Fire Nation, it's to help play my part in ending this war, to help you restore balance to this world"

And now it's all said. He had told her what he had wanted to tell her for two months. He wants to be her Sensi, he wants to teach her. He even used her real name.

Toph turned her head to him, her large eyes staring at where his chest met his neck, stone faced. What was wrong with here? Why wasn't she saying anything? Was she… thinking? Was there something to consider? Did she want a better Firebending teacher? They were friends right? So what's wrong with him?!

Then, 

She bowed. Well, it wasn't really a bow. She pressed her knuckles together over her chest and bowed her head slightly (He swore it was an Earth Kingdom thing, he's seen so many people do it in Omashu), "Thank you" 

"Huh?" 

"You just said you're gonna teach me Firebending," She stood up straight, "I need a teacher and you're offering, I'm taking it obviously . So thank you" 

Oh. 

"Oh" 

That was easy, and quick. Honestly, he pictured this taking much longer. He felt… neutral, he imagined feeling very good about doing this but he didn't feel so happy. It just felt like something he had to do. Not to say this wasn't big, he was going to teach the Avatar, someone he has spent three years hunting, Firebending. He would say he is working with the enemy but in actuality, he was working against the enemy now. 

She smiled at him and after realizing he had nothing to say, she spoke, "I was thinking a lot about the plan, about me being… dead. My dads helped talk me through it" 

Zuko knew her parents loved her. If Katara wasn't in her room healing her when Toph was in her coma, it was her dads. They were so worried about their (shared?) daughter and she was all they talked about. He had gotten most of his knowledge of the Avatar from them. And even though he knew of the amount of love they held for her, it still surprised him to hear that they helped her through it. They listened to her concerns and talked her through it as she said.

"Oh," He blinked and stepped closer to her, "And?" 

"And we're doing it. I'm gonna stay dead, it's what's best for now. We'll be able to surprise the Fire Nation during The Day of Black Sun. And even though I hate having to make the rest of the world lose hope in winning the war, it won't be forever," Toph smiled a little, "All I have to do is be patient"

All she has to be is patient, Uncle Iroh always said the Avatar's biggest virtue was her patience. He said that is what a true Earthbender should have but he used to believe that was posterous, what makes an Earthbender strong is how big the rocks they could throw were. But now, Zuko was starting to think otherwise. 

How many times had he lost a battle against her because she waited for her perfect moment while he rushed in with no rhyme or reason like a Firebender? 

Maybe he won't just be teaching her Firebending, maybe she could teach him patience. 

"I think that's what's best" He said 

Zuko watched her nod in agreement before reaching into her pocket and pulling out a… headband? That metal headband she always wears with her bun, he was wondering where it had gone. It was in her pocket this entire time? 

Toph turned back towards the gate, facing the sea and clasping the metal headband tightly in her hands. In an instant, the edge of the left part of the band sharpened into something matching a blade. 

Okay, now he was a little worried. Was she gonna kill him? He took a couple steps back, "Earlier today, when you trapped my legs with the floor. Uncle said it was…" 

"Metalbending," She finished for him, not turning her head to face him, "I invented it before I got back to Omashu"

Holy fucking shit. Bending metal was possible for Earthbenders? The Fire Nation has been trapping Earthbenders in metal work camps for a century, they could have invented that and destroyed them. 

This girl was a fucking monster. 

"If no one can know I'm alive, I gotta do it right" She said to him

Toph grabbed the back of her hair and…

Sliced it off with the blade. 

She stretched her bandaged arm out forward in the pale moonlight and dropped the hair, letting it blow away in the wind. 

"Holy shit" He whispered, did the Earth Kingdom have their hair tied to their honor as well or was that just the Fire Nation? He wasn't sure if he was overreacting

Toph turned to him, her messy hair now sloppily cut and reached just past her chin. She was grinning at him and cackled at his reaction, bending the metal headband around her right upper arm, securing it in place she laughed again, 

"Holy shit is right"

Notes:

BAM PLOT TWIST!!!! ZUKO'S HERE!!!!

I bet you didn't see THAT coming!!!! I LOVE in canon that Zuko sided with the Fire Nation at the end of Book 2, it shows that growth isn't linear and that even though Zuko got everything he could have ever wanted, he still wasn't happy because he knew it was wrong, it was important to his redemption and to his character. I LOVE LOVE LOVED that!!!! But I didn't do it here.

I wanted to but I didn't, I didn't want this story to get boring by being too similar to canon so I changed it. All those times Toph tried to reach out to him (and Azula) finally caught up with and knocked some sense into him. Her stupid words and (arguably) deadly attempts to get ii into his skull that he WAS capable of change.

SO YEAH!!! Zuko is part of the gaang, they all are still weary so it'll take some time obviously to get used to him!!!

Okay, notes time!!!

I have a couple things to say about the scene towards the end of this chapter. First things first, the part about Zuko saying that boys don't wear makeup. Obviously I don't think that (I'm a boy and I love the occasional wing and lipstick even if I'm not that good at it lmao). It's Fire Nation bullshit.

AND SPEAKING OF FIRE NATION BULLSHIT!!!! Zuko doesn't know SHIT about polyamory. If the Fire Nation had banned same sex relationships/marriage than I think it's safe to say that they do NOT have polyamorous relationships. That's why he assumed that only one of Toph's dads were her "actual" dad and asked where he mom was. But Toph calmly told him otherwise and explained it to him.

OKAY LAST THING!!! This line here: 'They were so different. Toph never had to push down her true feelings in order to appease those around her, she never had to hide who she was in fear of not being what everyone always wanted her to be. She could never understand'

This happened at the end. This is what Zuko was thinking of Toph. Zuko thinks that Toph was just,, always sorta like this. That she had a relatively normal life. That she was born a prodigy bender and didn't face any problems, like Azula (which is wrong, he and Azula both were victims of abuse, just different kinds, he'll learn).

But the thing is, Toph DID have to face those things. Toph DID have to push down her true feelings to appease others with her ableist birth parents, she DID have to hide who she was with them and even the entire WORLD at one point. She DOES understand what he's going though because she has been there!!! That's why she wants to help him, BECAUSE she understands. She wants to help Zuko and Azula because she GETS abuse, she's been there, she GETS that it SUCKS and that you might not even consider it abuse until someone opens your eyes about it!!!

Toph has been trying SO HARD with both Zuko and Azula because she understands. That's why she understood Jet's anger with the Fire Nation after they killed his family. That's why she understood Aang's want to leave the Airbending village, or Sokka and Katara's desperation to hold onto each other because they are the little family they have left. Toph understands that because she can relate to it. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed!!! Be sure to leave a comment and check out thecursedavatar on Tumblr!!!

Chapter 2: These outfits are FIRE!

Summary:

The gaang had reached Ember Island and have decided to lay low...

In the Fire Lord's Summer home...

At least they get some cool new outfits.

Oh, and super important Firebending lessons.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Toph, Katara, Sokka, Suki, Aang, and Zuko had just been dropped off at Ember Island, one of the smaller chains of land in the archipelago of the Fire Nation by the giant, metal Fire Nation ship that was led by their small invasion. 

The plan was for the six to stay in hiding in the Fire Nation until The Day of Black Sun which was in three weeks while the rest sailed across the oceans to assemble the team for their force, they would meet up on the day of at the Fire Nation Capital, by the ports. So now all they had to do was wait. 

But the question was where would they hide out during their wait? Toph saw no problem hiding in cave after cave but the others had disagreed, Zuko had suggested his family's old summer home in Ember Island and they all seized the opportunity quickly. 

So now they were standing on the small beach of the island, staring ahead at a short path that zig-zagged up to an enormous house that was much further away from any of the other homes on the island. Appa had groaned appreciatively while Wander stayed quiet, he never cared for fancy things like that. 

Toph ran a hair through her mane of now-recently cut short hair. She liked it enough, it sucked that she couldn't wear her headband anymore while in the Fire Nation but at least she got to have it on her arm. (And speaking of arms, she could lift them now! The wounds on her shoulders were healing well and now her arms didn't feel as though she was tearing them right off the muscle everytime she moved them.) 

The others liked it as well, they thought it was smart if they had to lay low, her large bun and big eyes are her main giveaways- and since she couldn't really do anything about her eyes, her hair was the best way to go. 

She did miss the comfortable weight on her back where her banjo used to be though, but it was broken and gone and she just missed playing music. Maybe she could get a new one? 

"Doesn't it seem kind of weird that we're hiding from the Fire Lord in his own house?" Katara remarked as Momo laid on her shoulder, she seemed to be having second thoughts 

Zuko shrugged and began walking along, "I told you, my father hasn't come here since our family was actually happy," He then grumbled, "And that was a long time ago. It's the last place anyone would think to look for us" 

Well that was incredibly sad and messed up, but at least Zuko was coming to terms that his family wasn't normal. 

Toph rested a hand on his back, "At least we get to stay in a super cool house until The Day of Black Sun," She felt him look at her, "We're on a beach , you can make tons of new memories with us to replace those stuffy family vacations" 

She's never been on vacation before (having been trapped inside restrictive family property for six years and then just focusing on Earth Rumble and school for the next six) but she did know one thing about rich families: 

They're boring and kinda have a twisted sense of mortality. 

So she could only guess what could have happened here however many years ago. 

"Yeah, I bet this giant house has a diamond studded toilet" Suki cackled and elbowed Zuko 

"Ooo! I wanna touch it!" The Avatar beamed before darting ahead, "Come on, Twinkle Toes! I'll race you!" 

Aang laughed and followed quickly, leaving the rest in the dust and walking at a regular pace with the animals who could care less about their human companions. 

Sokka groaned and yelled, " CAN YOU TWO QUIT MAKING SO MUCH NOISE!? WE'RE IN ENEMY TERRITORY!"

"Sokka, you're making all the noise now" Katara folded her arms 

"No I'm not bec-...!" The 15 year old started before catching himself, she was right… He huffed and hunched over, folding his arms with a scowl 

Suki patted Sokka's back as Zuko spoke, "Don't worry, this is private property. The beach house is far off and secluded from the rest of Ember Island" 





Toph and Aang chased each other up the gravel path, neither of which using Airbending to increase their speed. Everyone besides Toph, Sokka and Katara believed that Aang was a Nonbender which included Suki and Zuko so he couldn't bend in their presence. And Toph didn't bend the element to make sure he wasn't feeling left out. 

(It was alright though, they'll learn soon enough after they end this war)

He gawfed and managed to run past her, slamming the flat of his hand on her head and shoving her backwards to push himself even more forward. 

The two kids ran until they reached the house with Aang's hand touching the closed, wooden door first, Toph's quickly following, "I win!" He grinned 

The Earthbender sucked her teeth and punched him in the shoulder, "I'll beat you next time then!" 

Aang chuckled and grabbed the door's handle and turned it, he frowned, "It's locked" 

Oh right. People lock their doors and stuff when they're not home. She forgot that's what people do, but come on, can you blame them? It had been a long while since any of them were inside an actual house, okay?

Welp, good thing the lock was metal.

"Don't worry, I got this" The Avatar grinned crookedly, cracking her knuckles

"Are you gonna bend the entire door off its hinges!? Ooo! Or shake the entire house so the door falls off!?" He bounced from one foot to another in excitement 

...

"Uh, no. I think I'll just… unlock the door" She smiled, raising an eyebrow at him 

"Oh! Right, right" 

Toph calmly placed her hand on the knob and focused on the other side of the door, where the rest of the lock was. On the inside, it was just a little turning lock. That's it? You would think the royal family of the Fire Nation would have more security than that. 

The door clicked, signalling it was unlocked and the two stepped inside. The first thing she noticed was the wooden floor so her seismic sense would be useless for as long as they're inside, good thing she had her Air and Water sense. 

"Holy shit," Toph gasped, "This single room is probably bigger than the entire ship!"

She remembered the Beifong estate being large and vast, like this house but with way more land and gardens. But that wasn't her home, her home was that tiny house that her and her dads lived in in Gaoling. And this single room in the summer home was probably larger than her entire house back home!

Aang was already walking around, "Yeah, no kidding!" 

The main room was fucking huge , there was a long couch off to the right of the room, facing a carpeted fireplace, this entire place was the lounge area? She felt a room off to their left- it was a kitchen with heavy metal stoves and clad cabinets. There was another floor above them as well and she guessed that was where the rooms were. And there were a ton. Toph could feel about ten or more, who the hell needed this much space? 

The Avatar felt around, her fingers brushing across the smooth, wooden surface of the table. It was coated in a thick layer of dust and she assumed so was everything else, this place had that old, dusty smell to it. 

How long had no one been here for? Zuko said his family hasn't been here since they were 'actually happy' , but how long ago was that? Have they all been unhappy for this long? 

The house felt like a relic of time, a symbolic representation of the royal family: old, empty and not locked up too tight. 

Toph heard a whistle from behind her, "So this is how we'll be living until the invasion?" Sokka said, glancing around, "Not that I'm complaining, this is sweet" 

The others had finally reached the house and were stepping inside. Karara shrugged, "Beats sleeping on the ground" 

Zuko then walked ahead, passing them all, "Come, there should be some spare clothes in the rooms upstairs. We could wear them to help us blend in if anything" 

Ew, they're gonna have to use the Fire Lord's stuff? 

"Spare clothes?" Suki repeated, "As in clothes that belonged to the Fire Lord and stuff? I dunno…" 

Aang nodded, "That's kinda weird. Plus, those belonged to you guys"

"No, Zuko's right- I can't believe those words just came from my mouth," Sokka said, "It's safer that way if we just look like everyone else when we eventually have to go into town… even if it is really gross" 

"It's not gross- ...Okay, maybe it's a little gross," The Firebender hissed and turned on his heel, stomping away to the stairs, " Let's just go!"





The group followed Zuko up the short flight of stairs. The building had three floors, the third being the attic and Toph wondered what could be up there. Probably just rich people junk or war weapons or even more clothes that Zuko and Azula had outgrown. 

How was Azula anyway? She hadn't thought about her more than what she did to her back in Omashu. How did she feel thinking that she had killed the Avatar? She was probably treated as a war hero for such a big win. 

And even if the girl did put her in a coma, she hoped too much shit didn't hit the fan for Azula when all was revealed that she was alive. 

"You know, I know a lot about Fire Nation slang" Aang stated proudly as they climbed the stairs 

"Oh yeah?" Katara raised an eyebrow as they reached the top and were now being led by Zuko down the stretching hallway, "Like what?"

The Airbender smiled, "Well there's 'flameo' which means hi or goodbye and 'Hotman' which means sir-"

" Flameo and Hotman?" Zuko repeated, "Maybe they used those 100 years ago or something but no one says that here"

...

Well he can't just offer such a perfect opportunity and expect her to do nothing.  

Toph grinned and folded her arms, "I dunno, that sounds pretty right. I mean, it's got the words ' flame' and ' hot' in it, we are in the Fire Nation"

The 16 year old whipped around and growled in her face, "Well it's not right! Do you go around the Earth Kingdom saying 'rock on' or some stupid shit like that!?" 

"Rock on?' That's practically my catchphrase!" It obviously was not her catchphrase but Zuko was quickly becoming her favorite person to mess with, second of Sokka 

He blinked and his face contorted into frustration, he shook his fist and growled, going back to stomping off. She heard Aang giggle and he bowed, "Thank you, Hotman"  

"Of course, Hotman" She dipped her head and tugged on her baggy pants like a dress

The two cackle and Sokka trudged past them, "My two months of bliss without your stupid antics are over ..." He whined 





Zuko finally led them into one of the dozens of rooms inside the large summer home, "This was one of the guest rooms, there should be clothes in the closet. Feel free to look through the other rooms if you don't like anything in there though"

"And you're sure we can do this? This doesn't bother you or anything, right?" Suki asked, she was probably the most weirded out about doing this out of all of them 

He shrugged, "I couldn't care less, at least these clothes aren't collecting dust anymore" Toph supposed that was a good way of thinking. 

"Well thanks, Hotman!" Aang grinned 

"Don't call me that," Zuko cringed before walking out the room, "I'm gonna go look for clothes in my old room. When you're done, meet me out in the courtyard so we can start Firebending training, Toph"

Oh shit, Firebending! Her training! 

Toph had been so caught up in trying to heal from her injuries these past few days that she hadn't been able to train at all. Fuck! She had to catch up on two months worth of training and practice Metalbending and begin to learn Firebending! That's a lot but she could handle it, she has her friends to help her get through it- she's not doing it alone.

But this was it, she was going to master her fourth and final element! That was insane on account that she didn't think she would ever learn Fire at this point and her Sifu is Zuko of all people- or, Sensi she means.    

"Alright, Sensi Hotman!"

" What did I say about the name" He grumbled before walking out 

Maybe she can try and create… Fire sense? Seeing with Firebending? If she could see with Earth, Water, and Air, why can't she do the same for Fire? How would that work? Sensing the flames in someone's hands? Or maybe feeling where the sun is? She'll have to work on that. 

But first that meant training in the element, and Toph will train hard. She'll work twice as much as she was doing before this mess to catch up and then some!

____________________

After stepping out of the room where he left the rest, Zuko walked down the long hallway of the house. 

Although he hasn't been here in years, he remembered the home like the back of his hand- like an old memory that was brought back into the light.

 

What if he fucked up? What if he upsets them or something? Uncle had stayed with the rest of the adults and people on the ship, they were going to search for the rest of the members for the invasion team, so he didn't even have him to turn to in case of anything. Zuko was alone...

 

Or was he? He had… friends now. 

Or well, kinda

Toph said they were friends, and Aang didn't seem to mind his company but the rest : Sokka, Suki and Katara, they're all still weary of him. 

They had time to get comfortable with him on the boat for those two months but were only now just starting to trust him after Toph woke up. But as much as he wanted to, he couldn't blame them. He's been a giant asshole maniac for months and it was all they've ever known of him. But he's changed , and if Toph was able to see that, then the rest will too eventually, right?  

He reached his room, or the room he always liked to stay in when he and his family used to come here every summer. Don't ask him why he liked this room, he just liked it. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. 

The room was fairly sized, well, to him it was but this whole house was apparently huge to the others? This place was nothing compared to the Fire Nation Palace. 

There was a tall closet on the left wall and a round, fuzzy carpet on the floor. His old bed was in the right corner of the room and he remembered laying there every night when they would come here and Mom would read him stories before bed. He smiled.

Zuko peered out the window and down at the front of the house, he recalled him and Azula always chasing each other around those two large rocks that looked like faces- kinda like how Aang and Toph chased each other here- and further down on the beach, him and Father would go and lay there for hours until the sun set.

His smile twisted into a grimace. 

Things were different now. 

His father didn't love him, he never did and Zuko hated Azula. She wasn't that happy little girl he used to play games with anymore.

She was a monster. 

Zuko shook his head and turned away from the window, on the small dresser by his bed was a small stone. What was that? He picked it up curiously, and inspected it. 

It was smooth and rounded, there was an imprint of his own tiny hand from when he was a child. This was from years ago. He lifted it up and placed his hand on it. 

He's grown so much, and even more so mentally in these past few months. He was still angry, so, so fucking angry about everything but he knew now why and what to do with all that passion. 

He can be constructive with his emotions instead of lashing out, he can focus on teaching Toph and befriending the others or even pursue things he liked to do. 

He can be better, he was already better than how he was a couple months ago. His drive to capture and kill the Avatar had changed. He couldn't. Not after how much Toph truly wanted to help him so much to the point that it was annoying. Not after he betrayed Azula at Omashu. Not after he gave up everything to be here right now. 

He's a better person than how he was and he was a better person than Azula. Azula was a monster and she was evil to the core, that would never change- Toph has no idea what she's talking about, Azula can't change. She tried to kill her, she thinks she's killed the Avatar and is probably rejoicing this very second. Azula shows no remorse, she is heartless, she always has been and always will be. 

His ears perked up to the sound of the doorknob turning, " Shit!" He hissed

Zuko quickly put down the stone and leaped over to his closet, swinging open the doors, pretending as if he was looking in there the whole time.

The wooden door creaked open but Zuko didn't turn to see who it was. The person spoke, "Hey Zuko, is it okay if I look for clothes in here with you? Those idiots and Suki were taking all the good stuff"

It was Sokka. 

The Firebender turned his head and tried to act surprised, "Huh? Oh, I didn't even hear you come in," He went back to looking in the closet, "Yeah sure, I don't care"

The 15 year old grinned and walked to his side, the two wordlessly shuffled through the clothes on the rack. It was quiet for a long while. 

Should he say something? This could be his moment to bond with the boy, to try and get him more comfortable with him? Well, if Sokka was able to come in here and be alone with him with no problem, they could be considered on good terms, right?

Or maybe more neutral? Zuko stands next to strangers all the time, hell, it's what he was doing on the ship for those weeks. He didn't know anyone there, Uncle was the one who befriended everyone and then just introduced Zuko as his nephew. 

But he could be like Uncle, he could start conversations just as well. Of course he could, talking is easy, he talks everyday and yells even more so. 

Not really knowing what to talk about on account of knowing virtually nothing about the boy by his side besides he's friends with Toph and has a sister, Zuko said the first thing that popped into his head, "Must be nice having a younger sister who actually cares about you"

A chuckle escaped Sokka's mouth, "Yeah, I dunno what I'd do if I had someone like Azula as my sister. I mean, Katara's annoying and bossy but at least she isn't completely insane

"I know right?" It seemed that if Zuko talked about how much he hates his sister, the words practically fell from his mouth, "When we were younger she used to try and burn my hands and push me into the fountain"

"Yikes, when we were younger, Katara used to accidentally freeze the water I was taking a bath in, it happened way more times than I'd like to admit" He smiled sheepishly, grabbing one of the shirts 

 

Zuko laughed, "Does it still happen?" 

"Well now she's a master Waterbender so everything she does now is on purpose," He said, "She once soaked me for no reason! When I asked her ' what the hell' she said that I looked at her funny! Which was bullshit because I was looking at my map!"

"I once got a squawking toucan-puffin confused for Azula screaming at me" Zuko said which was apparently really funny because Sokka doubled over and howled 

" HAHAHA! A SQUAWKING- CONFUSED- AZULA!" Sokka roared with laughter, when he died down, he wiped a tear from his eye, "Oh, that was good" 

The Water Tribe boy placed a hand on Zuko's upper arm and kept it there, touch lingering. 

So he made him laugh by making fun of his sister, which apparently Sokka could agree with even though he and Katara were much healthier than he and Azula will ever be together. Maybe it was just a universal thing to hate your sibling even if you love them, if that makes any sense? 

Sokka's hand was still on his arm, he hadn't moved it yet (not that he really wanted him to, as terrible as that was). He hadn't even realized they were practically caught in an intense staring contest, neither moving or searching for clothes any longer. His eyes were a dazzling blue and his eyebrows were perfect, he watched the muscles in his forehead twitch ever so slightly. 

He wondered if Sokka knew about that… poly thing that Toph was talking about the other day on the ship. Or if he knew that guys can be with other guys, what did he think about it? Did he think it was normal like the Avatar did or was he leaning more towards Zuko's side? 

It's not that Zuko doesn't think it's normal, it is normal and it isn't something someone could control- who they love. But growing up in the Fire Nation, they make you think a certain way. That specific things are wrong, that there is only one way for someone to be, they force you into this mold. The perfect prince, the perfect suitor, the perfect husband who will attain the perfect… Wife .

But that isn't his future anymore. He didn't need to do or be any of that, and that was both freeing and terrifying. The Earth Kingdom was filled with hicks he was taught… hicks who loved who they wanted. Where men could love other men, where they could love as many men as they wanted and raise a child in the same way any mother and father could, if not better. 

And Zuko was a man- or, he's a teenage boy. He was a boy who spent his years trying to fill this role as the Prince of the Fire Nation that he almost forgot that he was Zuko before anything.  

"You should… take that necklace off, it might blow our cover…" The Firebender mumbled 

"Huh?" Sokka blinked before shaking his head, jerking his hand off Zuko's arm and touching his throat where his white Water Tribal choker was, "Oh! Uh, right" He chuckled nervously and quickly took it off 

The 16 year old made his way away from the closet and to his dresser, he opened the drawer and dug through it for a moment before finding what he was searching for, "Here, you can put this on"

He held up a Fire Nation necklace, it was a pale peach colour with a gold, diamond symbol hanging from it with the middle cut out. He handed it to Sokka who tried to put it on, fumbling his fingers behind his neck for a couple seconds before he grinned anxiously at him, "A little help?" 

"Oh!" Zuko was behind Sokka in an instant, his warm hands wrapping around Sokka's neck and slowly hooking the ends of the necklace together. They stood in awkward silence as he did. 

"There" He took a couple steps back 

Sokka didn't turn to face him, he reached behind his neck and felt the necklace buckle, "Thanks. We should change, the rest are probably done already"

Right, there are other people waiting for them. Zuko was so caught up in his thoughts that he forgot that he had duties to his new student who was most likely waiting outside at this point, "Oh right" 

The Firebender began taking off his shirt and by the time it was off his head Sokka shouted, " WOAH!" He covered his eyes, " Zuko! Don't change while I'm still in here!"

Holy fucking shit. He's a fucking idiot. How could he be so stupid!? The boy's face turned beat red, " Sorry!"

"It's alright, it's alright," Sokka was blushing as he grabbed a shirt, pants and a pair of shoes, "I'm gonna go change in a different room. I'll see you outside"

Then he left, leaving Zuko to soak in the terrible embarrassment alone.

He groaned and face palmed, " I'm an idiot" 





Zuko had changed out of his dingy Earth Kingdom outfit that he's had for two months and into some old Fire Nation clothes that miraculously still fit. He made his way to the back into the courtyard, sliding his feet on the ground as he went.

Outside, the others were all there, even Sokka (he was quick) and they all had on Fire Nation clothes, some he remembered wearing himself, others he remembered Azula. He hoped that Sokka didn't tell the others of their mishap. He knew it wasn't that bad but still, it was embarrassing! 

"Sensi Hotman!" Toph was sitting on the wooden steps with Katara, she beamed in his direction before frowning her brow, "You okay?" 

"I'm fine," He grumbled before going over to her and grabbing her by the shirt, tugging her to her feet and she weightlessly flew ahead of him with Airbending, landing by the small fountain, "Let's just start our training"

Sokka rubbed his hands together and maniacally, he was standing further away next to Suki, "Zuko's never taught anyone before and Toph's been out of commission for two months. I can't wait to see this train wreck!"

"I won't be that bad…" Suki said before adding, "I'm sure"

"Alright, we wanna get to work-" Zuko began before getting cut off

"A coma doesn't count as out of commission! I wasn't awake!" The Avatar argued as if they were criticizing her favorite rock or something and not talking about how she wrecked her body so bad she went into a coma shock, "Besides, I'm no train wreck. I'm gonna be the best Firebender in the world!"

"Hello-"

"You say that about every element" Katara leaned forward in her spot on the steps and rolled her eyes with a playful smile 

"Because it's true!" 

Zuko blew smoke from his nostrils, " THAT'S IT! Everyone get back inside! Me and Toph need to train alone!" 

A series of whines and awes filled his ears from all around him. "Why? Me and Katara- I mean, Katara never minded when we watched when her and Toph trained!" Aang said 

"Well maybe if you guys be quiet, I'll let you stay!" 

"Yeah, shut up guys" 

"You're part of the problem too, Toph"

The others snickered at his last words before shutting up completely, eager to watch their first ever Firebending session. Zuko didn't care that all eyes were on him, in fact, he kind of liked it. It made him feel powerful and filled him with confidence. 

"Alright Toph, the most important part of Firebending is breath control-" 

He began but was cut off by the short Earthbender, "Oh yeah! And you practice by meditating in front of candles! You focus your power into the flames of them!" 

Zuko blinked, "I uh, that's right. How... did you know that?" 

Has she been to the Fire Nation before? Was he not her first option for a master? Were there other Firebenders who were willing to teach her? That was surprising.

"Oh, there was this guy named Jeong Jeong, he didn't really like company but he told me that it all came from your breath" 

Joeong Jeong? The Jeong Jeong? The first man who escaped from the Fire Nation military and lived? The little twerp met him? When the fuck was this?!  

Whatever, he didn't have time to ask any questions, "Yeah, so the breath becomes energy in the body, which is released in the form of fire- have you meditated before?" 

"Whenever I enter the Spirit World I do, but I've never focused on candles or anything like that before," Toph shrugged, "Are we gonna meditate?"

Aang, who was now sitting by the steps next to Katara, flopped down on his back with a loud groan, "Aw whaaaat? You guys just gonna sit and breathe all day?"

Spirits, he was going to ring the neck of whoever talks again. 

If they know they're gonna talk, they should just go inside!  

"The invasion is in three weeks, we don't have any time to waste. So I'm gonna combine a couple exercises in one," Zuko said to them all. Toph was strong and an incredibly skilled bender, she was like Azula, she could handle anything. He turned to the girl, "Hold out your hands, Toph" 

She cupped her hands in front of her and raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean by combining a couple exercises- HEY, WHAT'RE YOU DOING!?" 

She yelped as he carefully lit a small fire in her outstretched hands, the others were standing in attack mode in an instant (holy shit, were they all just waiting to see if he would try something?)

"Calm down!" He shouted, not to just Toph but to everyone, "You'll burn it out if you move too much. Breathe and release"

Toph stopped moving and focused on the tiny flame in her hands, she inhaled through her nose and exhaled out her mouth, nodding, "Alright alright, sorry. But you could warn me next time" 

"I'll keep that in mind," He watched the others visibly relax as their friend calmed down, they sat back down, "Now keep that flame alive for as long as you can. This'll work on your breathing and your concentration on fire" 

Zuko and Toph sat down facing each other and crossing their legs in front of the fountain.  

The Avatar sat there in silence, she kept as still as she possibly could, her attention fixed on where her hands were. She had better focus than he ever did when he was learning Firebending, he guessed it was either because of her drive or her patience, maybe both. 

When Zuko was younger, he was even more impatient than he was now. He hated sitting for hours on end, meditating in front of those stupid candles. He just wanted to make the biggest and brightest flames ever! And since he discovered he was a bender late in life, he was eager to get strong and as a result, he was careless. 

He couldn't name how many times Mom had to bandage his hands because he ended up blistering them or how many fires he had to stomp out because his flames had grown too big for the measly bushes in the garden to handle. But he grew to force himself to focus on the candles, more so after his banishment, he needed to get good fast if he wanted to slaughter the Avatar. 

But he might have slacked just a little bit after he found out about her reputation: the Cursed Avatar, born small and blind as a result of her previous incarnations failures. But he went right back to training hard after he realized she might just be a little harder to kill than he initially thought. 

And not just a little harder- fucking impossible . Toph was plain out unkillable. She survived a short ranged lightning attack from Azula and was back to training as if nothing happened only a couple days after a two month long coma.  

"If you need to talk, then talk. Don't worry if you can't focus as much on your first try" He said 

"Jeong Jeong said fire was alive, he's right. I can feel it, it's like… pulsing," She was smiling and shifted the flame from hand to hand, "Kinda like how I see you guys, how a body moves and shifts. Fire's just like it. Like a tiny body" 

That was a weird comparison and he swore he's never heard anyone compare fire to anything but power, not a tiny body, "If that's what helps you get it, fine. It's like a tiny body" She seemed to understand holding the fire enough, maybe he should step up the game a little

Zuko gets to his feet and begins walking off, "Alright, you keep focusing on that. I'll be right- HYA!"  

FOOSH!

He hoped this doesn't get him killed. 

The 16 year old turned on his heel and punched the air mid-sentence, sending a hot ball of Fire right in the Avatar's direction, who was on the floor, back still facing him. He heard her scream and jump into the air, flipping away as if gravity didn't apply to her and dodging the attack. Toph landed on her feet, her hands still holding the flame, good

The others were standing up and Katara yelled, " ZUKO, WHAT THE FUCK?!"  

"The next part of our exercise combination: knowing how much fire is enough! Focus on your flame, don't let it burn out!" He shouted over the deafening sounds of his attacks, he shot a wave of eight fireballs at Toph, to which she narrowly avoided all, the fire in her hands grew smaller, "Give it more juice or the tiny body will die!"

Toph was now on the opposite side of the courtyard, she had to shout for him to hear her, she turned her attention back down to her flame, "Right!" 

The Avatar took in a deep breath, pushing more energy into her fire and it started to grow. It grew and grew until it was the size of a large bonfire. 

Oh fuck. 

"Alright, that might be too big right now so just push it back down and-!" 

BOOM! 

The giant flame exploded in Toph's hands and it caused her to fly back, she went soaring and skitted against the hard stone pavement until her body came to a stop, she laid motionlessly on her back. 

Oh shit, don't tell him he sent her into another coma on their first day. 

"Toph?" 

...

The Avatar leaped to her feet, face black with ash, "I'm okay!" She grinned and wiped her face which only just smeared it more, "Let's try that again! I think I can get it this time!" 

Spirits, this idiot is going to be death of herself . How did she ever manage to get away from him so many times? 

____________________

Hours have passed and Zuko and Toph have been training all day (with breaks obviously) with the rest watching. After their first bump in the road, the rest of the lesson went relatively smooth. She proved to be a very fast learner and with concentration, Toph was able to control the size of her fire and even shoot a couple flames. Though she admitted to having trouble with positive and negative jing, she was working on it, having practiced with Waterbending's mix of positive and negative to help with Firebending's pure positive. 

But now night has fallen and the moon and stars were out, curious of their progress, they've really been doing this all day. Zuko stepped out of his fighting stance and stretched his bare arms, he had taken off his shirt a while ago. 

"Alright, we'll stop for tonight. Uh, good job" He said

"Thanks, Sensi Hotman" Toph gave him a crooked grin, before walking over to Katara, who was sitting on the basin of the small fountain in the middle of the courtyard

Zuko hummed in frustration, he prayed that the nickname wasn't going to stick. He walked over to the steps of the house, where Sokka, Aang and Suki were sitting. Sokka was holding his shirt for him. 

"You're a natural teacher, Zuko!" Aang complimented, Momo was perched on his shoulder, tugging lightly at the boy's ear with his gross, tiny hands

"Yeah I guess you're pretty okay" Sokka shrugged nonchalantly, handing him back his shirt

The Firebender put his shirt back on, "Thanks, Toph's a pretty good student but she still has a long way to go if she really wants to become the 'best Firebender in the world"

"Well I'm sure you'll teach her well," Suki smiled at him before scotting over and patting the spot in between her and Sokka, "Wanna sit?"  

He nodded and sat down in between the Nonbenders. Sokka seemed to trust him and certainly didn't mind holding his shirt for him, did that mean that he was okay with him? What did he think of him? Did he like him? Maybe he should ask Toph to ask for him… 

What? It would be weird for Zuko to just go up to them and ask if they like him! He supposed that if they haven't killed him yet it was a good enough sign. He's going to have to keep working to gain their trust, he thinks that training Toph would help in his favor considerably. 

His eyes drifted to where the Avatar was. She was sitting next to Katara on the fountain now, they were talking and giggling, sitting very close together. He watched as the Waterbender used her thumb to wipe off a piece of ash from Toph's forehead that must have been there since her explosion from earlier. 

Katara gently cupped her face, laying a quick, flustered kiss on her red cheeks. Toph cackled nervously and held her hands tightly with a large grin. 

Katara kissed her cheek and now they were holding hands? Were they..?

Without taking his eyes off the two girls, he leaned over and asked, "Uh… Katara and Toph… are they, you know"

"Dating? Yes and it's disgusting" Sokka cringed as he squinted at the two flirting, unaware of their audience 

"No, it's cute!" Aang leaned on the Water Tribe boy's lap to get closer to Zuko, "They've been dating since we went to this secret love cave, we almost died and we got to see your sister. It was fun" 

Suki nudged the Firebender, "Don't listen to Sokka, he loves Katara and Toph's relationship. He's just being a typical sibling with hating everything his sister does," She smiled, "He loves Katara" 

"No, she's stupid and annoying! And I can't stand her and Toph's flirting!" Sokka growled before pushing himself to his feet and pointing at the girls at the fountain and screeched, " YOU GUYS ARE GROSS! GET A ROOM!" 

Katara's face went redder than he's ever seen it turn before and he wasn't sure if that was from embarrassment or anger, " SHUT UP, SOKKA!"

They continued yelling at each other back and forth. 

So Sokka cared for his sister and she cared for him just the same, that was obvious. Zuko believed Suki when she said that he loved their relationship, he was just being an annoying older brother. So that meant he was okay with same sex relationships (why did he care so much about what he thought?) And the others were too if they didn't mind Toph and Katara's relationship. 

He remembered that back on the ship, he would always attend Sokka's sessions when he would go over the invasion plan. At first, it was just because Uncle went (Sokka's dad always served tea to all those who attended) but then it became going just because. He had nothing else better to do on that ship and it was a good way to try and get the others to trust him. 

Sokka didn't really mind him, none of them cared but they were all weary and that included the Water Tribe boy. But Zuko was determined- is determined to get them all to trust him. 

"Alright, I think it's high time to go inside now guys" Toph said, dragging the Water Tribe siblings by their hands into the house 

The rest followed her inside and they stopped inside the large main room.

"I guess we should decide rooms, huh?" Suki asked 

"There's ten bedrooms, we have plenty of room," Zuko said, "Just pick any room" He began walking away and to the stairway, hearing the other's conversations 

...

"Well we could go our separate ways and sleep in separate rooms…" Katara said 

" Alone... " Aang added 

"Even though we're all probably used to sleeping close together..." Suki stretched her words 

"But the rooms are sooo far away, it might just be easier to sleep down here tonight..." Toph suggested 

Zuko waved a hand at them, one foot already on the first step, "That's nice, I'm going upstairs-"

He gasped when he felt a tiny body zoom over to his side and latch their arms around his arm, "You can't sleep alone upstairs while we're all down here, Hotman!" Toph shouted 

His other arm was taken by Aang, holding it in a similar, tight fashion as the Avatar, "Yeah. Think, you'll be so lonely! Stay!" 

"Come on Zuko, the couch is comfy! I'll save you a spot next to me!" Sokka grinned, already flopping down on the big red chair

He hummed, "I dunno. I don't wanna make anyone uncomfortable"

"Who're you making uncomfortable? If you try and hurt us in our sleep, I'll just kill you" Suki spoke with a smile but he knew she was completely honest 

Katara nodded in agreement, "It's true"

"Come on, Hotman!" Aang begged

"Hotman" Toph tugged on his arm, bringing his body towards the left

"Hotman" Aang then repeated, pulling Zuko to the right 

"Hotman" They kept pulling him back and forth like a game of tug-o-war

"Hotman"

"Hotman-"

" ALRIGHT! Just stop with the stupid name!" He shrieked, "AND LET GO OF ME!" He jerked his arms away from out the two 12 year olds hold 

Neither seemed fazed by his outburst, they only cheered and ran back over to the large couch, jumping on the cushions and sitting next to each other. 

"Come on, Hotman" Sokka churned his head behind him to the Firebender, gesturing for him to come

"Don't you start" He growled

"You know, it's kinda catchy. Maybe we should all start calling you that" Suki suggested innocently 

Katara shrugged, "It'd be nice payback for chasing us around the world"

He's going to have to deal with these people until the war's end? Spirits give him strength. 

Notes:

I told you this fanfic was gonna have some Zukka, there's a LOT more moments coming your way!!!!

Zuko is slowly realizing and adjusting his point of view when it comes to queer stuff! Seeing the gaang acting so normal about all of it, Katara and Toph dating, it's helping feel more comfortable in his own queer identity!!!

And they're staying in the SUPER COOL AND RITZY SUMMER HOME!!! FUCK YEAH!!!! WITH SOME COOL DISGUISES WHILE ALSO LEARNING…

FIREBENDING!!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

I hope you're excited for some stupid crap to happen in the summer home until they have to leave for the invasion!!! Thanks for reading and be sure to leave a comment!!

Chapter 3: Zuko's Integration

Summary:

A little more than a week has passed since the gaang had arrived at the summer home and they were... adjusting to Zuko. Nothing is perfect but what relationship is?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

" HA!" 

Toph stomped forward, slashing at a tall, thick slab of rock she had brought up from the stone pavement in the courtyard, a fire dagger in each hand. She raised her leg, swiftly bringing it back down to create a wave of fire that roared forward. 

The rock was charred and small flames danced on the top. The Avatar had destroyed it several times only to Earthbend it back to its previous state and fight it again. 

She and Zuko had finished their teachings about three hours ago. At this point, the group has been at the summer home for a little less than a week already and her training has been going well. Toph was making steady progress with Firebending with Zuko's lessons in the morning and then her own practice during the day and into the late of night with the occasional break to work on her Water and Airbending.

Toph felt Appa and Wander off to the side of the yard, laying down next to each other and basking in the warm sunlight.

Digging her feet into the ground, the Avatar shot forth a heavy and hot stream of Fire out from her palms, spraying the rock with its heat and feeling the stone inch back from the force. 

But even as she got better, gaining more control and a better understanding of Fire, Toph still couldn't figure out Fire Sense. 

There had to be a way to see with it but she couldn't think how. She tried focusing on the heat of the flame, to focus on it with her body, not with her eyes. That wasn't it. She was missing something, she just didn't know what... 

Toph scratched her head and stopped fighting, the rock slowly descending back into the Earth as she turned on her heel. Zuko was still outside, watching her and making sure her forms were right. He was sitting on the stoop, facing Katara with a flat, wooden board in between them, legs crossed while Suki sat in the middle.

While they were watching her, they were doing something else. What were they doing? 

She made her way over to the three and bent down slightly, placing a kiss on Katara's head, "What're you guys doing?"

"Pai Sho," Katara said, eyes fixed on the board in attention. She placed her hand on Toph's cheek and pushed her away semi-gently, "Shh, I need to focus" 

Toph's never even seen Katara play Pai Sho and frankly, she didn't even know that she knew of the game, much less knew how to actually play it. 

The tiny Avatar sat on the floor and rolled onto Zuko, half of her body on his lap, "What about you? Are you too busy concentrating to give me any attention too?" 

The boy didn't answer, he only placed his palm on her face, his hand was able to cover her entire face. Toph cackled from behind the hand. 

"They're both terrible," Suki said as Toph got off Zuko and crawled by her side, "It keeps coming to a tie" 

"I'm not terrible! I just haven't played in a while!" The Firebender shouted 

"But I've never played before," Katara rolled her eyes, "So if we keep tying, that means you can't even beat a beginner" 

Katata was getting cocky, Toph knew it and was more than happy to encourage it, "Quit tying, I know you're holding back, Katara. Wipe the floor with this guy!" 

"You're right and I will , watch yourself Zuko" 

"You're gonna let her talk to you like that?" Suki asked the 16 year old, "Win and put her in her place!" The Kyoshi Warrior was nice but was also an agent of chaos as well 

She felt smoke shoot from his nostrils as he screamed, "I'M NOT LOSING TO YOU, NEWBIE!"

" NEWBIE?!" Katara repeated 

"Don't just sit there, prove how much of a winner you are!" 

"Yeah Zuko, make her angry! She won't be able to focus!" 

Toph was glad that the others were beginning to get more comfortable with Zuko. They noticed his horrible efforts at redemption and slightly pitied him. 

Katara said he was okay for Fire Nation, since he helped them and all. Aang really liked getting him to yell. Suki wanted to learn some Firebending forms to incorporate into her fighting style. And Sokka said that Zuko nearly undressed in front of him. 

…. 

Okay, she doesn't understand that part but she was sure that even though Zuko is a complete and utter idiot, he meant well and the others were slowly realizing that as well (and that she was right about him since the beginning but she won't rub it in their faces… well, not now at least). 

And Katara and Zuko were both extremely competitive and very… passionate with their emotions. Which could make things either really funny or really dangerous fast-

" AFTER I KICK YOUR ASS IN THIS, I'LL KICK YOUR ASS FOR REAL!" 

"I'VE BEATEN YOU ONCE AND I'LL DO IT AGAIN!" 

"THAT WAS ONLY BECAUSE OF THE FULL MOON! YOU COULDN'T HURT ME EVEN IF I GAVE YOU A WHOLE OCEAN OF WATER!"

Katara stood up, " FUCK PAI SHO, I'M KILLING HIM NOW" 

"TRY IT!"

Toph rolled onto her back, taking the metal band that was once her headband off her arm and levitating it above her, she molded it into a couple shapes as Suki asked, "Should we do something?" 

"Nah, let them fight. It'll be a fun show," The metal separated and reshaped into two figures in fighting stances, "And Katara's a master healer, if she could keep me from dying, I'm sure she could heal a few burns if anything. Look, I made you" Toph raised the metal, it was now a tiny figurine of Suki in her Kyoshi Warrior uniform 

"Oh wow, that's really good" 

While they conversated neutrally, Toph listened to the sounds of slashing fire and splashing water, followed by curses and flying insults. 

Knowing either of them, they'll stop when they drop and then play Pai Sho again. 

At least it was a brawl over a board game and not fighting for your lives because you are on opposite sides of a war. Toph counted that as a win, they could handle themselves. 

"Hey guys, check this- WHAT THE FUCK!?" 

Sokka and Aang had just stepped outside, holding a handful of something in their arms. Sokka shrieked and jumped in between Katara and Zuko while Aang stayed by her and Suki. 

"What the fuck are you two idiots doing!?" The 15 year old screeched 

Katara pointed an accusing finger at the Firebender, "He thinks he could beat me!"

"In Pai Sho" Suki added 

"I don't think , I know!" Zuko snarled back 

"Is that what's really happening?" Aang asked, looking down at the two

The Avatar shrugged, "More or less, with very mild instigating from your favorite people" 

"Oh you know shit! That's what you know!" Katara screamed 

"Take that back-!" 

"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT! Enough!" Sokka growled and grabbed Zuko and Katara's hands, dragging the benders over to the rest, "What happened to being a mediator, Toph?" 

"I just trained for four hours straight, lemme have a little break," Toph said even though she was currently practicing her Metalbending, "If it helps, I made Suki"

She showed him her little statue of the trained warrior and Sokka hums, "Alright, that is pretty good but," He turns his attention back to the benders, yanking them by their ears, "You two are idiots" 

Katara and Zuko grumbled before Suki finally asked, "So what're in your hands? Scrolls?" 

"Well, not just any scrolls!" Sokka smiled, letting off of the two 

"They're play scrolls! We found a bunch in one of the rooms!" Aang finished as he and the Water Tribe boy dropped their rolled up scrolls onto the stoop, there were probably about 11 or 12 here, "There's even more inside. Why'd you have these, Zuko?"

"They aren't mine, they were my mom's. Every time we would come here, we'd go see plays. She loved them," Zuko explained, grabbing one of the scrolls and opening it, his eyes skimming it, "Afterwards, she'd buy a scroll of the whole script just for keepsake"

His heart beat lightly, a drastic difference for when he spoke of his sister or father- was he close to his mother? Toph grabbed a scroll and unraveled it, she nudged Katara who was sitting by her side, "What's this say, fighter?" 

"Well first of all, it's upside down," Katara smiled cutely, as if she wasn't ready to fight the ex Prince of the Fire Nation to the death over a board game some seconds ago, she turned it the right way up, "It's the script for some play called 'Love Amongst the Dragons"

Suki snorted, " Love Amongst the Dragons?'"  

"I never said any of them were good" Zuko said 

"Right, because you're such a theater critic" Sokka crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow 

The Firebender jerked his head, "I have good taste actually! I have hobbies , my life only centered around killing the Avatar for three years" 

"I know you were a maniac before but it was kinda an ego booster," Toph said before bringing the scroll closer to her face as if it would help her read it any better, "Is this a musical? I can play it on!… oh wait" Fuck, she keeps forgetting her banjo is completely destroyed and probably burned to a crisp Omashu 

Sokka put a hand on her shoulder, "This is a win for us all, trust me" 

"Shut up"

____________________

After a long winded conversation from Toph about how Sokka should respect her in her during her time of grieving and for him to retort that her banjo was just a stupid instrument and how it is frankly the least of their worries right now, the group had headed inside and were lounging on the long, crimson couch in the large main room. 

They had brought the scrolls in as well and had dumped them on the cushions in between them. Zuko was a little confused on what exactly they were doing, they were just… reading the scripts and making fun of it…? There was nothing constructive, they weren't gaining anything from this and Toph can't even fucking read. So, what was the point? 

"So why're we doing this?" He asked after Aang poked fun of how overly formal the character, Dai, spoke in 'Sparks in the Sky' 

"Well it's fun and a good way to pass the time," Suki said, not taking her eyes off the paper in front of her. She was sitting on the far left, leaning against the arm of the seat, her legs stretched on Sokka, who Zuko was sitting right next to as he read from his own scroll, "Just like your fight with Katara before" 

Katara was sitting next to Toph, the Avatar's arm wrapped around her shoulders as Katara was reading her scroll aloud for herself and the girl, she stopped and glared at Suki, "That fight wasn't to 'pass the time', he called me a newbie"

 

Toph cackled, "Yeah! She was defending her honor!" Zuko was 85% sure that Toph was only fucking with her and him but that was besides the point 

"And we get to spend some time all together!" Aang was sitting on the back pillows of the couch, his socked feet resting on the seat cushions, he was in between himself and Katara, "With all of us training for the invasion, it's nice to have some time together"

"Even though we all sleep together at night, either here or in one of the rooms but hey, plays are nice I guess" Sokka hated wasting time but sounded torn, who knew he liked theater as well 

"I thought Mei and Hana were gonna get together in ' On the Bird's Wings', why'd they make Mei with that asshole, Yuito" Toph blew air from her mouth, "They had so much more chemistry"

Suki sat up slightly and reached her hand out across Sokka, Zuko and Aang's legs, "I'll be the judge of that, you guys done with it?"

Katara handed it to her, "Just take it, it's garbage anyway," Her words made the Avatar chuckle before the Waterbender glanced at her brother, "What're you reading, Sokka?" 

" Sunset Lovers" 

"Sounds corny"

"Oh it is. Here, listen to the synopsis," He smiled and cleared his throat, " The 'Sunset Lovers' is a renowned play beautifully portraying the hardships of love, lost, and separation. Two lovers, Fuji and Aika, could only meet for the briefest of moments as the sun sets because of the curse set upon them for accidentally disrespecting the great Sun Spirit"

Spirits, he remembers 'Sunset Lovers'. That horrible play was butchered by the Ember Island actors, it was two and a half hours of pure fucking torture . Zuko recalled trying to find any excuse to get out of there, having to use the bathroom, going to get more fire flakes, anything just to not have to sit there while his ears bleed because of the terrible acting. 

"That sounds terrible," Toph said, "Read it!" 

Aang gasped, "Act it out! Zuko, act with Sokka!" He leaned over and gave Zuko a little shake by his shoulder 

"I don't wanna act-" 

"Yeah! I'll be Fuji. Zuko, you're Aika!" Sokka laughed, leaning into the Firebender and raising the script in between them 

"Why do I have to be the girl?"

"Because I'm already the boy! Who cares! Just read with me" 

Suki sat up straight all the way, "This'll be good" 

"You're both overdramatic, you'll do great" Toph grinned and reached over her girlfriend to pat Zuko's arm 

Sokka cleared his throat and began, " For if our love may only last for the briefest of moments as our dear sun sets, it will be all the worth for I get to see your beautiful face once again for the day!"  

Zuko knew that he was getting really into it and while he spoke, his eyes grazed over the paper trying to find his place. He read with much less enthusiasm and energy, " Oh Fuji, how I yearn for more time-"

"Where's your pizzaz?" The Water Tribe boy cut him off 

Aang nodded, "Yeah, I'm not buying your performance" 

" Performance? This isn't a performance!" He yelled, "This is some stupid reading that I don't even wanna do-!"

"Quit being a baby and read it"

"Just put more energy into it!" 

"Alright alright!" Zuko shouted, "Everybody, just shut up!" He took a deep breath to control his anger and spoke with just a little bit more enthusiasm but not a lot, " How has the spirits played such a game with..." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, "With our hearts, with our strings of fate. It is simply unfair"

Sokka wrapped an arm around Zuko's shoulder in a similar way that Toph has her arm over Katara, "Worry not, my flame. My love for you grows ever so every time you so much as cross my mind!" He cupped his hand on the right side of the Firebender's face, turning him to face him, "One day we shall cross when the sun rises, when the moon peaks and when the birds sing! I will wait eternity and then some only for you!" 

As Sokka finished, Zuko stared at him- his focus unbreaking. Sokka's eyes were really blue and they shined in the sunlight that came through the windows. His lips were slightly parted in a wide smile, as if he was ready to start talking again. 

Sokka reminded him of the strong, young generals he used to idolize as a child. They were big and tall and Zuko was sure that in a couple years, Sokka would have a build in the same way, small muscles were already growing and developing on the sparkly eyed boy. 

...

… 

"Oh, was I supposed to keep reading?"

The group bursted into a loud, boisterous fit of laughter, leaving Zuko to wonder what the fuck did he say to make them laugh. 

Were they… laughing at him? His gaze shifted from each of them, hoping that at least one of them will explain the joke to his poor soul. 

Toph reached an arm over to him again, "Don't worry, we're not laughing at you," She spoke breathlessly from her gawfing, as if she could read his mind, "You did great" 

The Avatar's comforting, crooked grin combined with her small hand on his forearm helped soothe his anxieties. She was good at that, no wonder she was able to win the Earth Kingdom over so quickly with her charm before it fell. He nodded at her. 

"That was really good acting, Sokka!" Aang beamed, praising the 15 year old only to awkwardly scratch the back of his neck when he looked at Zuko, "Oh, and uh… You too, Zuko"

He twitched. Was he that bad that even Aang couldn't even give him a proper compliment?

" Thanks… " He grumbled 

"So are plays a big thing in the Fire Nation?" Aang asked 

"Yeah. Everyone goes to the theater, even the poor," Though, they couldn't ever afford to get a seat in the nosebleed section like him and his family were able to, "It's a really respected part of the Fire Nation"

"Really?" Suki sounded slightly intrigued, "The biggest thing Kyoshi Island had was the statue of Kyoshi, literally" 

"Gaoling has Earth Rumble! Do they have wrestling here?"

What the fuck is Earth Rumble? Wrestling? 

Oh spirits, did Toph fucking wrestle when she was living in Gaoling? His face paled as his mind flashed back to every single time she kicked his ass with just Earthbending, and some of those times she was tied up! He could only pray she didn't completely obliterate the kids she went up against. 

He shook his head, "Wrestling? No, was that something you did in school or something?" 

"Oh boy…" Katara groaned, leaning back into the chair 

Toph jumped to sit on her knees excitedly, starry eyed, "You think Earth Rumble's for school kids? HA! No way can any kid just join!" She laughed, "Only the best Earthbenders in the world can fight in it, and I held the championship belt for four years in a row!"

"It's just a bunch of big, sweaty guys chucking rocks at each other" Katara explained with an eye roll

Big guys? The best Earthbenders? Toph wasn't fighting against kids, she was fighting against grown people. Iroh was taller than her by a lot and he was short! So Zuko could only imagine how small the Avatar was compared to them. 

Sokka placed the play scroll on the low table in front of them and folded his arms, still leaning against Zuko, "It's really cool actually!"

"Yeah, we got to see one of the shows. It's kinda dangerous and the sounds of bones breaking makes me wanna vomit but besides that, it's really nice!" Aang added

Bones breaking? What the fuck? "And your parents let you do this?" 

"Let me? They were wrestlers in it too! That's where I met my dads! They couldn't ever beat me though, I guess I'm just too strong!" Toph gave a really ugly, prideful laugh and Zuko wondered how this weird girl could actually be the spirit of the world 

What did she mean by meeting her dads?

"You beat your dads up?" Suki asked, apparently she's never heard of this strange sport either, shouldn't she though? She lived in the Earth Kingdom as well. Wait, was that being biased?  

"Never that bad though, we're supposed to fight. I beat them up, they beat me up, it's all part of it"

"And The Boulder! He's the coolest one there!" Sokka grinned and his face visibly reddened, "If you thought that he was handsome on the ship, you should've seen him half naked and sweaty!" 

Zuko blushed, "I didn't think he was handsome" 

"No, he was handsome" Suki nodded thoughtfully 

"I think they're all really good looking!" Aang smiled 

"Yeah but the Boulder was by far the best-"

" OKAY! LET'S CHANGE THE SUBJECT NOW!" Toph screamed. Right, they were basically talking about how attractive her parents were, that can't be comfortable 

Katara chewed her lip, holding back a giggle as she squeezed Toph's hand, "Right, no one thinks your parents are good looking" 

"Stop lying! I bet you think it too!" Sokka accused 

"So does the Fire Nation have festivals or anything, Zuko?" The Waterbender quickly changed the subject with a nervous laugh 

He blinked, "There's the Fire Lily Festival, it's to celebrate the fire lilies' blooming season, it's in August"

"August? That's coming up in a couple months" Sokka smiled 

"Yeah, and the war'll be over by then!" Toph exclaimed 

 Aang nodded along, "We'll be able to celebrate with you"

Celebrate with him? After the war ends? Well, that is to say they actually win and don't die at the hands of the Fire Nation. They are in a war, fighting in the front lines, hell, one of them was supposed to be dead. 

But say that they did hypothetically win, they would still want to be around him? They were his friends? Even after he chased them around the world for months, tried to kill them on several occasions and nearly didn't side with them in Omashu? Even after all the terrible things he has done?

Zuko hummed before laying back on the couch next to Sokka, he wondered if Azula was sure that the Fire Nation was going to win in the same way they were sure they were going to win. 

With the Avatar on their side, they might actually have a chance. Well, they might have a chance if Toph stops trying to give Azula a chance. If she didn't stop fighting and offer Azula her hand, Toph wouldn't have gotten electrocuted and placed into a coma in the first place. He wants her to realize that there aren't any second chances with his sister. Azula always lies , there is no changing with her and you can't ever forgive her because she always has a plan. 

She's evil and terrible and was probably celebrating at the idea of killing the Avatar. She's a heartless monster who never shows any remorse, even when given the kindness of mercy, she takes it as weakness and uses it against people. It's what she did to Toph and it's what she's done to him.

It angers Zuko, how Toph tried to help her. And not even just in Omashu, in that abandoned town too, she tried to talk to her, to both of them. Why? Who the fuck cares about Azula?! 

"-And then I heard that Avatar Kyoshi split the land in half and made her own island and named it after herself!" Somehow, while in his thoughts, the conversation had apparently switched to Avatar Kyoshi and her many feats. He's done plenty research on the past Avatars to learn as much as he could about them in his quest for the newest one in those three years at sea 

"So that's why they named it Kyoshi Island" Katara said in awe

"She was one of the Avatars who helped me wake up when we were on the ship, her, Kuruk, Gyatso and Roku" Toph said 

Roku? Avatar Roku talked to her? The other Avatars helped her wake up? Oh boy, Zuko doesn't even wanna think about how much longer she would have been in that coma if the Avatars hadn't helped (fuck Azula).

Aang slid off the back pillows, now sitting in between Zuko and Katara, "You didn't say you talked to Gyatso, Toph!" Why would he be so concerned about Avatar Gyatso? As if the boy read his mind, he turned to the Firebender and smiled, "I'm a descendant of him!"

Zuko raised his eyebrows, "Really? Huh"

"Huh?" Sokka frowned, "What's 'huh' mean, huh?" He then whispered to Suki, " That's suspicious"  

"Nothing's suspicious about it," He huffed, "It's just pretty funny because I'm like the great, great, great grandson to Avatar Roku. He's on my mom's side"

And he regretted saying that the second he heard the loud gasps of the two most annoying 12 year olds on the planet. 

"Really!? That's so cool!" 

"What a small world!" 

Katara blinked and cocked her head to the side innocently, "Oh wow, it's almost like-"

Oh she better fucking not.

"Don't-" Zuko warned 

"Almost like you guys-"

"Katara, I swear to Agni-"

"You guys are related!" 

Aang and Toph's grins somehow stretched tenfold as Toph screamed, "You're right! We're related to the Hotman!" She punched the air, "Fuck yeah!"

"It's like a family reunion!" Aang wrapped an arm around Zuko's waist as the rest cackled, "What would that make us? Second cousins? Third cousins?"

"It makes us nothing because it doesn't work like that! You both are idiots!" Zuko snarled, shoving Aang away and he fell into Katara's lap

" HEY! Is that any way to talk to your great, great, great grandmother?" The Avatar scolded before helping Aang back to sitting and off of the Waterbender, "I'll tell Roku!"

"He's dead! He's been dead for over 150 years! You can't-..." Zuko paused, visibly curling into himself, " Oh shit, you could…" 

" Oooooo " Sokka said like a little kid 

"You're in trooooouble!" Suki laughed 

"SHUT UP!"

____________________

After a little while of teasing and talking later, the group separated. Sokka went upstairs to finish some schedule (he really likes having schedules, Zuko's realized), Suki, Katara, and Aang went into town to buy food, and Toph was outside in the courtyard again, training. 

It's been a couple hours and the sun had long set, the sky was dark and the others still weren't back and Sokka still hasn't emerged from the room from planning. So Zuko was left to his own devices. 

Which is not a good thing.

Because when he's left alone, he thinks and when he thinks he ends up doing stupid shit. And right now he's thinking of Azula, and Azula makes him angry. 

Her stupid voice and her stupid smirk when she knows she's won. How she's so much stronger, smarter and better than him and knows it. How she is so fucking horrible it makes him want to scream and destroy something. 

Ever since he could remember, she has always been a brat. Father's favourite because he was weak, unable to even make the tiniest of flames. But Azula was practically born bending. And even when he found out he was a Firebender, she was already a prodigy. She was perfect and everything he wasn't.

And then mom disappeared and he was alone with her . His sister was able to get away with everything because she was so amazing while he was yelled at for standing wrong. And it wasn't fair. 

It wasn't fair that she was able to get the most prestigious Firebending teachers with the best tutors and most of father's attention when it was all he ever wanted to begin with. 

So since he was alone and thinking and had anger festering, Zuko obviously had to do something stupid. 

Before he could even think, he was stomping outside into the dark courtyard, the moon being the only light. 

Toph was still outside, she was practicing her Firebending, sending jabs of fireballs slamming into a giant rock slab she had erected from the Earth. It reminded him of Azula, how she would spend hours training in their palace yard. Father always praised her endless time practicing. 

Before he could call out for her, the Avatar stopped and turned around to face him. She was smiling at him and rubbed the sweat off her dirty face, "Flameo, Sensi Hotman" 

He didn't even bother to yell at her for her stupid greeting or nickname, he only stood his ground and walked further up to her, "During The Day of Black Sun, we're gonna see Azula"

"I'm aware, another Hotman right?" She stomped a foot on the ground and the ashy rock she was attacking behind her sunk back into the ground, "What about it?" 

"Well we're gonna have to fight her and that means you can't do what you did in Omashu, letting your guard down to try and help her or whatever," He explained and watched the smile fall off Toph's face, "She isn't someone to be helped. She's evil and that isn't gonna change" 

Mom was always right about Azula, she was a monster.  

And monsters are bad and scary and live to be feared and love torturing. He doesn't want Toph to get hurt again at the hands of his horrid sister when he knows he could warn her now. 

"You changed"

"Whuh- that's different! I'm not her, if you try and help her, it'll blow up in your face and she'll just hurt you again!" He shouted

Toph shook her head, "Omashu was a really fucked situation, a lot of things were supposed to happen and I've been thinking about it a lot. But people can be helped- Azula can be helped, she can change, anyone could," She spoke calmly with a wiseness to her words, it reminded him of Uncle Iroh, "If there's a moment that comes up and I know I can help her that day, I'm taking it, Zuko"

Zuko hesitated for a moment, Toph's been calling him 'Hotman' for a week already, his name coming from her sounded foreign but he shook it off, "She'll fucking kill you, you were lucky to bounce back from her before but next time you might not be able to!" 

"I get that, I really do. But I know better now, when I try and help, I'll be ready for anything she'll throw at me" 

The Firebender growled, the familiar heat in his stomach that only bubbled to the surface because of his sister grew, "She thinks she fucking killed you and is happy about it right now!"

"A couple months ago you would've been happy about killing me too" Toph retorted 

"I-... That's different!" 

"You're right, because you're not her, just like you said," She began, folding her arms, "You know now that it's wrong, Azula doesn't . She can't change something she doesn't know is wrong, it'd be unfair to ask that of her, that's why we need to teach her"

Zuko held his head in frustration, it was hard to focus on Toph when he could barely see her, " Augh! Azula won't learn! She's evil, she always lies!" 

"I dunno what you've been through with her and I don't wanna know if you don't wanna tell me but I know that she's been through some stuff too…" The Avatar said, "I thought you were finally understanding that"

"Understand? Understand!?" He screamed, now he was fucking angry, "What the fuck is there to understand? Azula never suffered a day in her fucking life! I suffered! I was the one in the Agni Kai, I was the one at sea for three fucking years looking for you, I had to deal with Zhao, I was the one who got fucked at the Northern Water Tribe!" He poked a finger at her chest harshly, "What the fuck has Azula been through besides being fucking perfect?!"

By the end of it, the Firebender was huffing and shaking with rage. Who the fuck was Toph to try and tell him what Azula has been through?! Who the fuck was she to have any sort of sympathy towards his sister?!

Toph didn't grow up with Azula, she didn't have to deal with burnt fingers or forceful shoves. She didn't deal with the cruel words and the comparing. Azula was perfect and will do anything to bring him down. 

"You're upset and you're right, you've been through a lot and I'm sorry. You shouldn't have had to go through any of that, it was terrible," The Avatar's voice was racked in calm sadness, "But her pain shouldn't have to compare to yours for it to be valid. It's different and you don't need to forgive her but you should at least try and make an effort to understand"

Zuko snarled, he was so fucking angry and just wanted to hurt, to ruin everything, " Her pain? What do you even know about pain anyways!? You have parents who fucking love you, you're strong and a fucking prodigy ," He shouted and took a step closer, he was standing right over her, "You don't know what it's like to have to have to hide who you are! Or be nothing but weak in your father's eyes or-or… or be a fucking embarrassment..."  

His voice cracked, wavering in a way that anyone could tell he was on the verge of tears. No . He won't fucking cry. He's not a baby. He can't cry, not now, not when he was so fucking angry. He turned his head away, refusing to look into her unseeing eyes. 

Toph never dealt with that, how could she understand how he or anyone else was feeling? She lived a normal life with a loving family and was able to pursue things she liked like the banjo and Earth Rumble. She was just a normal fucking kid who didn't know shit about what he went through, she couldn't relate to him.  

But the way she looked at him, how her face twisted into such an intense , overwhelming sadness and understanding. He had hurt her. But instead of getting angry like how he was, or screaming in his face or just storming off… 

She raised her arms, inviting him into a hug. 

He blinked down at her, eyes overflowing with water as tears trickled down his face from both his scarred and unscathed face. 

She... Understood? 

Was she able to relate to him? Is this what she meant earlier when she said she met her dads at Earth Rumble? Were… were they not always her family? What had happened before with her old one then? Was she able to relate to him and his struggles of family?

Zuko couldn't hold back his hiccuping any longer and bent down, wrapping his arms around the calm girl tightly, his scarred face sobbing right into her clothed shoulders, into her scarred shoulders.

He wanted to crawl in a hole and disappear. It wasn't fair what happened to him. It wasn't fair and it hurt so much, he's a fucking kid. 

But Toph truly thought that Azula was suffering like him, how? He wanted to ask the Avatar what even made her believe that but he only choked on his tears as he sobbed loudly, dampening her shirt. 

Notes:

Whew, that was sorta a depressing end, huh? But it was necessary, I swear! Zuko and Toph needed to talk about their differing point of views regarding Azula, how Zuko believes she is incapable of forgiveness, of redemption, that she doesn't DESERVE it. While Toph thinks the opposite, that she should be given an opportunity to learn how to be good because she never got the chance to be in her life, because she doesn't understand she is doing wrong really.

They needed to talk about this, Zuko needed to vent, he also needed to realize that Toph isn't just saying this stuff to say it. He finally realized that Toph wasn't born into a healthy environment, that she had found her new family and chose to do better, to BE better. That is why she is able to see through Zuko and Azula and give them chances, because she UNDERSTANDS.

Zuko may not know the full extent of the abuse Toph went through but he does know that she did go through SOMETHING which made her able to understand and relate to Zuko and Azula's fucked up lives.

And Zuko and Toph may not agree on what will happen on the day of black sun, with Toph wanting to give Azula a chance and Zuko not thinking she should have one, but they are trying to work through it.

Sorry for the short chapter, I hope you liked the Pai Sho scene in the beginning and of course, our dramatic Zukka scene as well uwu

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed!!! Be sure to leave a comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

Chapter 4: Swordbending!

Summary:

When Sokka finds out that Zuko knows how to sword fight, he asks him to teach him the way of the sword

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The entire team was out in the summer home's courtyard again (they've never left to go into town all together, it's not safe so this is the best place to spend time together), trying to withstand the Fire Nation's intensely high temperature (it was times like these that Sokka missed the South Pole). 

Sokka was brushing the knots out of Appa's fur while Wander was sitting next to him, waiting patiently for his turn. While he brushed, the boy watched from afar at Katara and Zuko's game of Pai Sho on the stoop with Suki in between them, refereeing. 

His sister and the Firebender have grown close due to their similar passionate and competitive personalities and he had no idea if that was a good or bad thing. 

To his right was Aang, laying flat on his back on the ground with his legs high in the air, Momo was laying on his stomach on his feet (gross).

Toph was in the middle of the courtyard, practicing her Metalbending using a couple of the hundreds of pans found in the huge kitchen inside, who needs that many pots anyway?

It's already been a week and a half since they had first arrived and Sokka knew that their nice time here was going to be coming to an end soon. The invasion was in a week and a half and they would need to get moving if they wanted to get to the Fire Nation Capital in time for the battle. 

"If you move your boat piece, you'll be able to capture his knotweed" Suki suggested to Katara 

The Waterbender was quiet for a moment, inspecting the board before her eyes lit up, "Oh yeah! Thanks, Suki" 

She went to move it but Zuko flicked the piece away, "That's cheating! You can't tell her what to do!" 

Suki was a beast at the game on account of being forced to play countless times with Bumi during her time in Omashu. Sokka recalled her telling him how she was able to beat all the other Kyoshi Warriors in Pai Sho eventually. If being a warrior ever doesn't work out, Suki can probably become the world's best Pai Sho player. 

Sokka chuckled at Zuko's anger as the metal that was floating around Toph stopped and secured around her tiny body in a strong, heavy set of armor. She hummed in dissatisfaction and turned around to face the Pai Sho players.

"Hotman, can I borrow your swords?" She asked before knocking her closed knuckles on her head, "I need more metal for a helmet"

Zuko managed to peel his eyes off the game board long enough to look at the young girl, "What? No, they're mine and I won't have you ruining them or something," He turned back to the board and waved his hand, "Go and get another pot" 

"But I don't wanna get another pot, they smell weird" 

"Since when did you care about things smelling weird?" 

"I'm sorry, is no one gonna talk about how Zuko has swords apparently?" Sokka asked, taking his brush away from Appa's leg, who groaned in response 

"Why do you have those?" Aang asked, sitting up and pulling Momo into his lap

Zuko leaned back on his hands, "It's not like I was gonna hurt you guys- wait," He squinted at Toph, "How do you know I have swords? I thought I told you not to go through my stuff anymore"

The metal armor fell off the Earthbender and twisted into a life sized statue of herself, she folded her arms and the statue copied her, "I didn't go through your stuff this time, I just know everything" 

" Again, Zuko has fucking swords?" Is no one hearing this right? He stomped up to the 16 year old, "You know how to use them?"

"Well I was taught by Piandao, the greatest swordsmaster and sword maker in Fire Nation history," The Firebender explained, pride dripping from his voice, "So yeah, I know how to use them" 

"And why don't I know about this?!" 

"You never asked?" 

So Zuko was taught by the greatest swordsmaster in history and had sword(s?) And Sokka is learning about this fucking now? What the fuck? Why did he even know that, if he was a Firebender, wouldn't he have just grown up learning bending instead of sword fighting? 

Sokka kneeled down to meet the sitting boy's height, placing each hand firmly on each of his shoulders, "You gotta teach me, Zuko! I should learn to fight with more than just a club or fans if I wanna really help in The Day of Black Sun!" He shook him a little, "Come on! I'll completely forget you chased us around the world if you do! This'll be your redemption!" 

He needs to learn this, he'll die if he doesn't and that isn't an over exaggeration. Everyone else is working so hard to prepare for this invasion, he needs to too. Toph is training in all the elements for countless hours day and night, Aang is going to the complete other side of the island in order to practice Airbending, Katara quite literally trains till she drops and Suki works on her forms every single day. He could be doing so much more as well!

"Redemption?" Aang repeated, "I thought Zuko was already redeemed? We gave him a nickname and everything"

"Nicknames are very important" Toph agreed

Suki shrugged, "And we are playing Pai Sho with him" 

"Okay, maybe this isn't a redemption but I still wanna learn! And you're not doing anything right now!" Sokka grabbed Zuko's warm hand and pulled him up, "Come on!"

After Zuko was forcibly pulled to his feet, he said, "I'm kinda in the middle of a game" He pointed a thumb to Katara, who was staring at them both in annoyance. Right, his sister existed, he nearly forgot about that

The 15 year old blew air from his mouth and glanced at the Waterbender, "Katara, I need Zuko more. Go do something with your girlfriend or whatever, I don't care!" 

"I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure I was hanging out with Zuko first, you're gonna have to wait" Katara stood up and put a hand on Zuko's shoulder, tugging him in her direction 

"This is more important than your stupid game!" Did they have to bicker now of all times? Sokka tightened his grip on Zuko's hand and pulled him into him, wrapping his arms around his torso and huffed, "You'll teach me, right Zuko? You're a great teacher, we know that from how you teach Toph! Come on! Just me and you, screw stupid sisters, right?"

That last part seemed to catch his attention the most, he looked down at him, an eyebrow raised, "Okay fine," He briefly looked at Katara, not moving out from Sokka's arms around his waist, "I'll have to kick your ass in Pai Sho later"

Katara gasped, " Kick my ass- I'm gonna kick your ass! You prick!" She pointed an accusing finger at him 

Sokka stuck his tongue out at his sister before letting go of Zuko's strong chest and turning on his heel, grinning at the Avatar, "Toph! Make me a sword!"

"I use dual swords, you could just use one of them" The Firebender shrugged 

Toph pouted, "Oh, so you'll give Sokka a sword but not me?" She stomped and the metal Toph statue separated and went back to their original post and pans 

"Because you're not Zuko's favorite," He explained nonchalantly before beginning to shove the short girl out the courtyard, "Now beat it, we need the yard" 

The Avatar turned her head to him while still getting pushed out, "Wait, I was here first! Where am I supposed to go!?" 

"Not my problem. The only thing I'm focused on right now is swords and Zuko" 

Aang jumped up to standing and grinned, rushing over to the stoop, "We can go to the beach! We can go swimming! I wanna play in the sand!" 

"We don't have bathing suits, Aang" Suki said, getting to her feet 

"I don't care what you guys do, but you better practice your Firebending, Toph. I wanna see glass on that beach" Zuko said 

As Toph trudged towards the steps, the Firebender ruffled her messy, black hair, "Yeah yeah, I got it, Hotman"

____________________

Toph, Aang, Suki, and Katara were down at the small beach in front of the summer home after getting kicked out by the two teenage boys, it overlooked the ocean and Toph only hoped that Aang didn't try to undress and accidentally reveal his Airbending tattoos in front of Suki (neither her nor Zuko knew of his Airbending background, they still believed he was a Nonbender).

It sounded cool that Sokka was going to learn how to fight using a sword from Zuko, even if it doesn't work out, she knows the experience will bring them closer. After what happened with her and Zuko regarding their differing viewpoints on Azula, it made her realize that the rest probably felt the same as well.

Azula was nothing but a menace in their eyes, similarly to how Zuko used to be and her friends have every right to think that and hate her for it but they have to see that she at least deserves a chance to change. It would be unfair and cruel if they didn't. 

Appa was in the shallow part of the water, splashing his giant paws in the water while Wander sat on the sand near him. Toph felt Katara and Suki sit down on the sandy ground, facing each other.

Aang walked over to them curiously as Momo flew over and rested on Suki's head, "What're you guys doing?"

"Me and Zuko are still tying, so while he teaches Sokka how to use a sword, I'm gonna practice Pai Sho so I can finally win" Katara said as she unfolded the board on the sand and began placing down their pieces 

Suki shook her head, smiling, "We'll play a quick game, then I gotta work on my forms" 

The Avatar snorted, back facing the rest as she pulled off her shirt, revealing a compression sports bra. She stopped needing the bandages as her wounds began to heal and scar completely, "That's what you're working towards, Waterbug? Beating Zuko in Pai Sho?" 

"Is that wrong?" Katara asked with a raised eyebrow

"Not at all, kick his ass" Toph turned her head so Katara could see her wink which made the girl's heart beat fast

Aang bounced over to Toph, wrapping an arm over her scarred shoulders, "And I can train with you!" He pulled out his boomerang from the strap behind his back, "I'll throw my boomerang and you try and shoot at it with Firebending!" He then leaned in closer and whispered in her ear, " It'll help my Airbending too" 

The Earthbender stared ahead in silence for a moment before her lips curled into a smile, she gave him a thumbs up, "Good idea!"

____________________

"Alright Sokka, the first thing I learned when I was under Master Piandao was that your weapon's an extension of yourself" 

Shortly after the others had left, Zuko went inside for a couple minutes and when he came back out, he was holding two swords, one in each hand. He tossed one to the Water Tribe boy, who hesitantly caught it with two shaky hands. 

Zuko used his sword and jabbed at the air a couple times before pointing the blade at Sokka, "You gotta think of it as another part of your body" 

Another part of your body? That reminded him of how Toph would say bending isn't any different from the person performing it, it was an extension of themselves and -in a case like her's- their senses as well. He inspected the sword in his hands.

"Like an extra pair of feet!" 

The Firebender paused before shrugging, "Master Piandao said it was more like a sharp arm but if it works for you" 

He watched the 16 year old continue to swing his sword, side-stepping and jumping into lunges, battling an imaginary enemy. He wore a look of fixed concentration that suited his facial features well. Sokka suddenly understood why Katara and Toph enjoyed watching the other bend so much. 

"Swords are basically just long knives but in the hands of a master, it becomes so much more than that," He turned on his heel and in one quick motion, gave a low slice at the air, "It's versatile and the possibilities of what it could do are limitless"

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit- 

"Alright, we'll start with a simple move," Zuko raised his sword up towards the sky and slowly brought it down over Sokka's head, "If I come at you like this, you move yours sideways over your head to block"

Sokka raised his blade horizontally, their metal blades meeting, "And then what? I push yours off?" 

He nodded, "Yeah" The 15 year old jerked his sword forward, shoving Zuko's sword away from his head and he must have pushed too hard because the Firebender stumbled backwards 

"Shit, sorry"

"No uh," Zuko shook his head, "You're good- I mean, that was good. Just keep practicing that move, I gotta get something inside for a second" And with that, heeled back inside, leaving Sokka alone 

The Water Tribe boy quietly lifted his steel in a similar way he did before and pushed off an invisible opponent, he repeated the action several times. 

The possibilities of what you could do with a sword are as limitless as the imagination, and Sokka already has that! And Zuko learned from a master (thank the spirits he was a rich kid) and already had teaching experience from Toph! Zuko will prove himself to be a great mentor and not to mention they're around the same age and he's super cute and they are really similar and- 

Wait, what was the second one? Super cute? Where the fuck did that come from? Did Sokka think Zuko was cute? Whatever, he thinks everyone is cute. That doesn't mean that he has a crush on him or anything. Sokka just thinks that Zuko is endearing and a total hottie and tells terrible, half forgotten jokes, and was honestly the first person to ever make his face feel warm and red and- 

Okay, you know what, he's going to stop because he is starting to think that he might actually have a crush on Zuko.  

Or that he does have a crush on Zuko. 

….. 

Oh no. 

He's never going to hear the end of this from Katara and Toph. 

Why was Sokka such an older brother? Why did he make fun of them mercilessly? Why couldn't he just have been nice and just respect their relationship with all their hand holding, kissing, flirting, cuddling, bantering- 

Nevermind, he doesn't regret a thing. They're disgusting. 

After a couple minutes of crush-panicking, Zuko had returned much to Sokka's terrifying- affection-induced dismay. 

He came back holding an ink well and a couple sheets of paper, he sat on his knees on the stone pavement, beginning to set down all his materials as he spoke, "Master Piandao says that a warrior should do a lot of arts to keep their mind sharp and fluid"

"Arts?" Sokka repeated, kneeling down next to the boy, smiling, "Is that why you like theater so much?" 

He rolled out a long piece of paper out in front of them, setting down the bottle of ink and a couple of brushes of all different shapes and sizes to the side. 

"What? No! I just like- I don't have to fucking explain anything to you!" He growled, red faced. Sokka cackled as a brush was shoved into his hands, "Just write your name"

The Water Tribe boy stopped laughing, grasping the brush, "Write my name? What're you talking about?" 

"When you write your name, you stamp the paper with your identity," He explained, grabbing Sokka's hand so he was now properly holding the brush, "You use your sword to stamp your identity on the battlefield" 

That makes sense- in a weird sort of way. He nodded and dipped his brush in the ink, he raised it and was about to place it down on the paper but froze.

He had to write his name, it was about putting his identity on the page just like how he would leave his mark on the battlefield…

He scratched his head, getting a drop of ink on his chin. He sucked his teeth and was about to wipe it off but… 

 But there was more than one way to identify yourself... 

Sokka dropped his brush into the ink once again, making sure to get much more than before. He grinned at the confused Firebender and then painted his own face, now it was dripping with black paint. 

"This is about showing myself in a fight!" The 15 year old said before slamming his face right onto the paper, rolling it around until he was satisfied with his mark. Beaming with pride, he raised his sheet of paper, showing off his smeared masterpiece

Zuko blinked but he looked… impressed, "Huh, I never thought about doing it like that. Good job"

____________________

FOOSH!

FOOSH! 

FOOSH!

Toph shot overwhelming blasts of over a dozen fireballs into the air from her fists, trying to hit the boomerang that was flying around high in the air. 

Aang was right, this is good practice! Not only is it working on her Firebending, it's strengthening her Air sense and her ability to sense metal from further away! And his own Airbending! Why the fuck haven't they tried this before? 

She grinned as she swiftly jerked her leg out into a high kick, shooting a flash of fire out from her foot but the weapon flung away before it could reach. Aang was cheating just a bit, every time she would get close, he would suction the boomerang back towards him. 

It circled back into the boy's hand, he grinned, "Again?" 

"Is that even a question?" Toph smiled, wiping the sweat from her forehead and getting back into her attacking stance, "I'm ready!"

"Are you kidding me!? Again!?" Katara screeched, tugging on her hair in frustration 

The Waterbender was still in the same spot as she was before, and from the sound of it, she just lost another game against pro-Pai Sho player Suki. The Kyoshi Warrior was just too good but Toph liked Katara's persistence. 

"You do realize you don't need to only move your pieces back and forth, right?" Suki asked, "You can go side to side you know" 

Although Katara was her girlfriend, she couldn't help but make fun of her (she's just a huge nerd, it's hard not to), " Waaaaterbender…" She whispered under her breath with a smile, loud enough for the other to hear

And she did, Katara whipped her head around so fast she could have sworn she heard a crack, " Watch it, punk" She threatened through clenched teeth 

" Oooo, feisty" She laughed and blew her a kiss 

"Maybe you should take a break, Katara?" Aang suggested, "Practice your Waterbending to get your head on straight" 

Suki stood up, picking up her fans as she did, "Katara doesn't know what it means to keep her head straight, and I mean that in every kind of way you can take it" 

The 14 year old huffed but chose to ignore it, she stood up and walked over to the two 12 year olds, "Aang, do you mind if we switch? I think I'd like to train with Toph"

"Oh sure!" He nodded before skipping over to the oldest girl, "Hey Suki! Wanna practice your fanbending with me?" 

" Fanbending?"

"It's what Sokka calls it!" 

Suki and Aang walked off, going further off towards the other side of the secluded beach and leaving the two girls alone. 

Sokka has some weird names but she knew she wasn't one to talk. Toph shook her head and faced Katara as she started to talk, "You're wounds healed nice" 

She felt Katara step closer, placing a light hand on her shoulders, feeling the now rough, slightly numb skin and Toph nearly forgot she wasn't wearing her shirt, she had on a compression bra so her scars were on full display. She smiled, placing a hand on Katara's that was on her, "You don't need to lie, just say they look nasty"

"They look terrible but at least they're closed now," Katara took a large glob of water from the ocean, "Come on. Fight me, I need to work off all this frustration"

Toph grinned, her fists lighting aflame, "Are you at least making any progress? You've been playing for hours now" 

"That's the thing, I don't even know! Suki's too good so I keep losing!" Katara shouted, rushing forward, the water encasing her fists to make ice gauntlets, her fist was met with Toph's blazing one, "So even if I am getting good, I won't even know!"

Toph grabbed Katara's free ice hand, spinning and throwing her to the side, further away from the water but she didn't go far, digging her heels into the sand, "We're all bad at things when we first try it. At least you get the time now to practice before you play against Zuko again"

Katara huffed, "And I can't believe Sokka just kicked us out of the house we're all living in just so he could learn the sword!" Toph flung herself forward but the other was ready, in one motion, Katara grappled onto Toph's arm and used her own momentum against her, flipping her behind herself, "And Zuko let him! They're both such jerks" 

Toph landed on her feet weightlessly and chuckled, "Yeah, they're assholes" While they fought, her mind drifted to that night a couple days ago, when Zuko confronted her about Azula. She's been thinking about it a lot

Zuko believed she was wrong, that Azula was wrong. But she wasn't, Azula was just misguided and a product of their shitty family. She needs to learn but not be taught a lesson- if that makes sense. They have to help her or she could seriously hurt herself or others more than she already has. 

But Zuko sees her as only one thing: a monster. And Toph couldn't help but wonder where he learned that...

He doesn't understand that the others had used to see him as this evil representation of the Fire Nation too- how they used to see him in the same exact way he sees Azula. That they were able to change their view of him because he changed. And they could all do the same for his sister if she does so as well. 

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Toph asked as she crouched down, narrowly dodging eight or nine ice daggers flung her way

Katara stopped for a moment before shrugging, creating a whip of water, "Sure"  

"Azula, what do you think about her?" She had a feeling she knew what Katara was going to say as she side stepped out of the way from the Waterbender's crashing whip

"I think that I can't wait to kill her during the invasion after what she did to you in Omashu" Katara spoke cut and dry and yep, that's what she figured what she would say 

Katara was fiercely passionate, competitive, strong and she was also extremely protective when it came to the people she loved. She was always so quick to jump in the way of danger to save her friends and was ready to fight for all of them at a moment's notice. 

"Oh Toph, don't tell me…"

"I get she's done a lot of terrible things and that's bad- I know that but you gotta understand that-!" 

"There's nothing to understand, she nearly killed you. The entire Earth Kingdom fell because of her," Katara charged forward, freezing Toph's feet to the ground, "Not everyone is angry and crazy because of trauma!" 

Toph ducked from the high kick of the Waterbender, melting the ice at her feet and stepping back, "Okay, you know that's bullshit! I was right to give Zuko a chance, and look at him, he's on our side now!"

"Yeah but just because you were right about one person-"

"Jet!" 

"Okay, two people-" 

"The entire Earth Kingdom!"

"That doesn't- look, Azula isn't Jet or the Earth Kingdom and she certainly isn't Zuko" 

"He said that exact thing, Katara," Toph stopped attacking, "You can think what you want but you know that everyone deserves a second chance"

She still wasn't convinced but she stopped attacking and Toph wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not, "I know but... Azula? We gave Zuko a chance and we were lucky he didn't try to kill us, Azula's a whole different story"

"I know, they're different people and they've gone through different things and I don't need you to agree with me but if I get a chance to help Azula during the invasion, I'm taking it" 

Toph understands that she was truly up against her match with Azula in a way she never was with Zuko. And he even said on multiple occasions that she and his sister were similar in many ways. 

Azula obviously has been put through some stuff, if her incredible skill of lying, her pressures of being a prodigy, or even having more of her father's attention (who Toph is learning is an asshole so maybe it isn't as a good thing as Zuko might think it is) was any indication. It was probably not as obvious as Zuko's was if there was any comparison but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Toph felt Katara's heart skip a beat in shock, she was surprised and upset and, from what she gathered, confused. The Avatar continued to speak, "It's really fucking crazy, I get that but I was right about Zuko," She made her way closer to Katara and grabbed her hands, " Please just trust me on this"

"It is crazy and really fucking stupid!" Katara squeezed her hands tight before letting go, "I trust you, it's her I don't trust and I really don't want you to do it" 

Toph was disappointed in her decision even if she knew this would be the outcome.

"I understand," She nodded, "But I'm doing it even if you don't want me to"

"I know you are and that's what frustrates me!" She shouted, "Toph, you know you could die if you do that! I don't see why you'd still wanna risk it! You won't be able to help anyone if you're dead!"

Katara is just looking out for her, same with everyone else. They don't trust or even like her with good reason, even Aang has expressed his ill thoughts towards her and that's valid! They don't want her to do anything where she could get hurt as badly as she did not that long ago. But she just wants them to know that she is doing this.

"I'm risking it because there's a chance I can help her! But I'm not gonna die, I'm gonna be okay-"

"How do you know that?! You don't. You didn't know before and you don't know now, anything can happen to you if you let your guard down again"

She knows that Katara is right about that last part, "I know, but that's why I'm not gonna let my guard down. If you can't trust that she won't try anything, then trust that I can handle whatever she throws at me!" 

"How am I supposed to trust that?! What if I'm not there with you? What if- what if you get hurt and no one is there to help? Again, what if you die? Toph, you can die" 

The Avatar clasped Katara's hands again, "I'm not ever gonna die, not on you or Sokka or anyone else," She stepped closer to the girl, cocking her head up so she was looking in the direction of where she knew her face was, 

"Just stay by my side and I'll stay by yours, we'll stick together. That way you can make sure nothing happens if you're really concerned" 

"You better not be lying" She squeezed her hands tight

Katara's heart told her she still had plenty more fight left to give and that this conversation was far from over.

____________________

Azula delivered the good news of the Cursed Avatar's demise by her hands to father a long while ago. The Earth Kingdom had fallen, it was conquered, and the Fire Nation won.

The next Avatar is born into their territory, wielding the superior element. They still have not located them yet but they will soon, it has only been two and a half months- they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

And although she came home as a war hero and a strong warrior worthy of the title of future Fire Lord, given every ounce of respect and love she so rightfully deserves, Azula couldn't help her thoughts from wandering to the small girl she had murdered. 

When the Avatar had her pinned against that stupid fountain and Azula was… Scared. 

All that hard work, everything she had ever done, accomplished, and achieved was about to be erased. That all that would be left behind would be her lifeless corpse, killed in the hands of the spirit of the world. And in those moments, she felt...

Terrible... 

Terrible not just because of fear or the inevitably of her death, but of everything. Her entire life flashed before her eyes: her passionate Firebending training, her vigorous studies, the unbelievably high expectations that she always achieved, doubling her efforts which set her bar even higher to grab, her restless nights scheming and planning the perfect attack, always making herself better. 

She was a hard worker and did anything to reach her goals- these were good qualities .

But as she stared at herself in the reflection of the Avatar's large, glowing, unseeing eyes, they didn't seem like good qualities anymore. They seemed like wasted time, regrets and guilt.

She was a winner so…

Why didn't she feel like one? 

And she didn't want to die! She didn't want to die! She was only 14, she was only 14 and she regretted every single thing she has ever done in her life- every single thing that made her push everyone away, that only widened the gap between herself and them! She didn't want to die with those thoughts! 

Azula's mind flashed to the confusion she felt as the 12 year old loosened her grip on her shirt, letting her go and standing up straight. She watched with overflowing relief as the Avatar's eyes blinked away the glow, she was back to normal.

Then she held out her hand for her. 

She was willing to help her up, to help her. To look past all the terrible things she's done so young in her life, all the ways she made sure she was the best. She wanted to be her friend.

The Firebender slowly reached for her hands as she recalled all the things her frantic brain thought about in the moments where she believed she was truly going to die, all those moments, all that time- it could be made up. 

She could start over, begin again and become a different person. A person who she won't regret being, a person who actually likes being herself.

But then Azula snatched her hand away before their fingers could barely graze. She's worked too hard to give it all up now, she was too close to fail. She cannot be distracted in those weak thoughts of disdain for herself and her actions. 

She can't get caught up in the wise, forgiving words of the Avatar. 

She was a child, a cursed hick from an Earth Kingdom town that Azula made sure she conquered while the army attacked Omashu and Ba Sing Se. There was a reason she did that- because she hates her. Azula hates the Avatar and will kill her. She disrespected her and her honor by saving her in that cave and was the only thing standing between her and victory. 

It doesn't matter that the girl was the first person to make a point about her pressures-

Even if they are a lot, Azula wouldn't be as strong as she is now without them.

Or how she has a chance to fight against the Fire Nation-

Why would she fight against them? Her home, her people, her father?

Or even how the Avatar made her feel capable of change, how she reached out to Azula with such hope and belief that she could because anyone can. That the Avatar was so persistent, she never gave up on Azula no matter how many blows she shot at her or insults thrown-

She is the royal Princess of the Fire Nation, she is the future Fire Lord, she doesn't need to change or accept help- she doesn't need it and she never will. 

So when she reached for her small hand, Azula knew what she had to do.

She killed her. 

And she is a hero because of it, so it must have been the right thing to do.

Father had called her strong, that he was proud of her- unlike the contempt he held for Zuko, that traitor betrayed her when the Avatar hit the floor. He just couldn't handle it like Azula could, she supposed. 

That was the second time she had seen her brother in three years and it will be the last forever. 

Father was so proud, he said, proud of her strength, her achievements, of her power .

'But not of you' Azula could picture the Avatar saying

No, he loved her. Father loved her and he always has, Zuko was the one he despised. He was too much like mother, and that was always a bad thing. 

"Any news on our Avatar's whereabouts, Azula?" Father's voice boomed inside the large, echoing throne room

He has been cold- colder than usual but that was understandable. He was sending his best to search for the next incarnation and was preparing their strike for the comet soon. 

She was kneeling before him, head bowing-

'You shouldn't have to bow to your parents' The Avatar spoke again. What does that yokel know about parents?  

"Not yet, father," She lifted her head to stare into his narrow, golden eyes, "But I will find them"

"I trust that you will" 

She stood to her feet, bowing again once more before strolling to the door. Before her hand reached the handle, she hesitated… 

Azula shook her head and walked out.

____________________

The sounds of metal clashing with metal filled the air as Sokka and Zuko sparred across the large courtyard. After their initial lessons with the calligraphy and even some landscape painting, Zuko eventually decided they should begin actually fighting. They've been at it nonstop now for a couple hours and the sun was now setting, signaling that it was now late in the afternoon and they've been doing this all day. 

And Sokka had to say, Zuko was good but that's what happens when he was trained by a master but he was doing well enough as well, able to hold his own against the Firebender.

The 15 year old noticed as they fought that Zuko preferred his right side over his left and he assumed that it was because of his scar. Could he not see or hear as well on the left side of his face? 

Sokka raised his blade high over his head, deflecting Zuko's overhand hit. The 16 year old grunted as he took a couple steps back, only to charge forward again, swiping at Sokka's sides, who sidestepped just in time to dodge it.

"Bend your legs more," Zuko panted, taking a whack right at Sokka's neck, who caught the blade with his own, "You gotta be ready to move if you need to!"

"You're a good teacher! Why'd you learn anyway?" Sokka asked as they battled, "I thought it was called the Fire Nation, not the Sword Nation"

He laughed at his own joke but was nearly caught off guard by the blade that nearly knocked his out of his hands.

 Zuko smirked in a way that made his heart throb before speaking, "I was a late bloomer. They thought I was a Nonbender and was basically an embarrassment" 

"Spirits, that sucks" Sokka sucked his teeth. That's terrible that the Fire Nation shunned him over something he that couldn't control and Sokka couldn't even begin to imagine how terrible thar must have been 

"Yeah, it did. But I ended up being a Firebender but by that time, I was already behind and Azula was already a prodigy," Zuko hissed, his strikes unknowingly getting a little rougher, "So I took up swords along with my bending to impress my father"

"Did it work?" 

"It did at first," He hummed, "But then he kept saying how much better Azula still was than me" 

"At least you still have sword fighting over her" The Water Tribe boy ran forward, his steel making contact with Zuko's, making a shape similar to an 'X' with a loud clang. They pushed with all their strength, forcing the other to give but neither did, both continued to push more power into it. 

"I -hgn!- guess you're right" Zuko grunted through smiling clenched teeth as he continued pushing 

Then Sokka flashed a grin, pulling back his sword and nearly causing the other to fall, using the surprise, Sokka shoved the Firebender to the ground.

Zuko rolled onto his back and was met with the tip of a blade in front of his face and the 15 year old staring down over him with a smirk. 

They were both breathing heavily and sweating like crazy as they stared at each other. His steel shined because of the orange sky and glittered against Zuko's vibrant, yellow eyes.

"I know I am" 

The boy gave him an impressed eyebrow raise, "You're a fast learner," He said as Sokka helped him up, "Let's stop for today, it's getting late"

Sokka nodded and plopped down on the basin of the fountain, Zuko finding a spot next to him. They smelled gross and Sokka's shirt was soaked in buckets of sweat but he was happy. He was learning, he was training, he was doing his part in this war. 

But his mind went back to what Zuko was saying. People believed he was a Nonbender and he was given an incredibly hard time because of it. Was that just a Fire Nation thing or was it a royal family thing? 

He recalled Toph saying once that rich people are fucking insane but he was 95% sure she wasn't actually born into nobility like she claimed she was (just look at her! There's no way that banjo playing, dirt loving, bug eating kid used to be rich).

"It sucks that not only were you just beginning, Azula was already so much stronger- it probably put an even bigger gap in between you two" Sokka spoke 

Zuko leaned forward, his elbows resting on his lap, "There was always a gap between us. Azula was father's favorite and I was nothing. She got all the love and attention from him" 

Sokka had trouble imagining mom or dad loving Katara more than him, they loved them both equally and he remembered that mom would always make sure they were both included in everything she did with them. And dad still checked in to see if they were both doing okay. He couldn't picture either of them ever doing what Zuko's father apparently did. 

And if Katara knew that Sokka was getting neglected, she would go crazy. As much as they fight and bicker, they still were family and she would never stand for her brother being forgotten. Why didn't Azula do anything? They grew up together, she obviously knew of the different treatment, so why didn't she say something? Was she that selfish? 

"I'm sorry, that wasn't right at all what happened," He placed a comforting hand on Zuko's back, "You didn't deserve that"

He hummed and turned his head away from Sokka, unwilling to look him in the eye at the moment, he let him, "Me and Toph were talking about it the other day, she told me that she wants to give Azula another chance. Apparently she thinks that she 'went through stuff too' ," He scoffed, "But I think it's bullshit. Azula deserves nothing and Toph's an idiot if she doesn't think that" 

They talked? So Toph was going to try and get through to Azula again, he guessed as much. Even after what happened in Omashu and the Cave of Two Lovers and in that abandoned town, Sokka knew that the Avatar wasn't going to let Azula go that easily, even if she did try to kill her several times. 

But Zuko doesn't think it's smart. 

He believes Azula is evil and doesn't deserve it, that she can't change her. Sokka hates Azula too, after everything she put them through and she tried to kill his little buddy, his feelings are more than understandable. He really doesn't want Toph to give her a chance, she could die and frankly, Sokka also believes that Azula doesn't deserve that kindness but…

Toph kinda has a knack for spotting trauma so if she said that Azula is fucked up because of her childhood, he is likely to believe her. She knew exactly what to tell Jet and was able to see through Zuko's anger when the rest of them (himself included) hated him. 

They hated Zuko at one point and look at them now, he's Toph's Firebending sensi and Sokka's teacher. 

"Yeah, I don't like Azula and I don't think she deserves a chance either but… Toph knows these things. Even when you were hunting us down, she always vouched for you, saying how you were 'going through stuff' or whatever," He began, "And you were , she's really wise so I trust her when she says that Azula is probably going through her own stuff too"

"So what? You're taking her side and saying I should forgive her?" 

"No! I don't even think that's what Toph was saying either! And I think her wanting to do that is fucking insane too! All I'm saying is that she probably has a good reason as to why she's doing it"

Zuko finally looked back at him, frowning, "So if she doesn't want me to forgive Azula then what does she want me to do?! If she's giving Azula another chance, I'm gonna have to see her!" 

"I know and I dunno. I think that's something you're gonna have to talk to her about, Zuko" 

Sokka cursed in his head. Did he just accidentally pass this problem back to Toph? He had a feeling that Zuko and her were going to have a very long talk soon.

Fuck, sorry Toph.

Notes:

Oop looooots of feelings these guys have about Azula huh? I dunno about them but for me, the only feelings I have for her is LOOOOOOVE!!!!

Zukka sword fighting? Zukka sword fighting.

Sokka and Zuko are each gonna get one of the dual swords and if that isn't gay then I dunno what is

Chapter 5: Learning through Traveling

Summary:

The time has come for the gaang to depart from the summer home in order to get to the Capital by the Day of Black Sun

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After yesterday, Katara and Toph had a very long talk about Azula and the invasion. 

And although their long winded conversation, Katara still wasn't okay with it, if anything, she was more resistant about it in their hushed argument last night. 

She just doesn't want Toph to get hurt, is that too much to ask? She knows Toph is strong but Azula is as well and if she could send the Avatar to the brink of death , Katara has every right to feel this way. 

But it's hard to argue with someone who understands that.

Toph understands where Katara is coming from and is offering alternatives like not leaving her side when they do confront Azula just so she won't have to feel this way. It helped in the same way that it didn't. 

Things happen and if she was there the first time during Omashu and Toph still got hurt, it could happen again- she remembered making a point about. 

Toph agreed with her but argued that things will be different, they will be prepared for anything by using that as a learning experience (which is really fucked up that they have to do that by the way). 

Katara can trust Toph, that was easy. But trusting what else? Fate? That things will turn out okay when they're in the middle of a war? Toph was logical and grounding, always keeping a level head, and deep down Katara knew that there was obviously a reason the Avatar felt this way but she just... couldn't trust Azula. 

The princess would kill her without hesitation and then everything would be over. The Fire Nation will win but most of all, she would lose Toph. 

How was she supposed to trust that things will be okay? That things won't end up in the same way that they did with Mom? (Her fault, her fault, her fault, her fault, her-) 

They ended up with the same compromise from before: Don't leave my side.

And Katara is intending to hold her word and make sure Toph holds her end to it as well. Because if she knows her, Toph will try and run off to try and do things by herself (it's so stupid, doesn't she see how much she hurts herself by doing that? But she was no better).

Their talk seeped into the time Toph used to train in the evening so the small Earthbender spent most of the night training while everyone else was asleep. 

It was dawn now and the sun was only on the cusp of rising. They were all piled on the couch, their usual sleeping spot during their stay at the summer home. 

Toph was sleeping on top of Katara, exhausted from late night training that went well into the early hours of morning, her arms wrapped tightly around her chest. The Waterbender laid there, burying her face into her messy mop of hair as they laid there among the other sleeping bodies of their friends.

Sokka was awake, pulling his stuff together and shoving it inside the red bag that he purchased at Omashu. Katara pretended to still be asleep just so she could have more time holding Toph because the second she moves, Toph will wake up (she is an incredibly light sleeper). And she really doesn't want her girlfriend's comfortable weight off her just yet. 

"Hey, guys!" He came over to the couch, holding heavy scrolls and wrapped equipment and nudged Zuko and Suki who were leaning on each other's shoulders, " Get up!" 

He shouted as the rest began to stir. Toph shifted in Katara's hold, eyes still closed, " I don't wanna play Pai Sho with the cat, it's raining out..." She grumbled in her sleep 

Katara kept her eyes closed and just pulled her closer, burying her face even further into the girl's sleeping form. Holding her and never letting go sounded very nice right now…

" Katara! I know you're up!" Sokka grumbled, dropping his heavy baggage right onto Toph's back, who jolted in surprise, her blind eyes shooting open

Toph whipped her head around, her hands resting on Katara's chest as she growled, "What was that for!?" 

"Because you talk in your sleep, what do you think it was for?" Sokka asked sarcastically, snatching his bag back as Toph pushed herself off the Waterbender, sitting on her knees 

She yawned, stretching her arms, "How should I know? You do weird things all the time," She then turned her attention to the 14 year old in front of her, "I didn't drool on you, did I?"

"With all your snoring, surprisingly no," She smiled softly before looking at her brother, "Now why're you waking everyone up, Sokka?"

Suki rubbed her eyes, sitting up, "Yeah, the sun's hardly up yet"

"We're leaving today!" 

A series of groans elicited from the group of tired kids. 

"Booooo," Aang whined, leaning on Zuko who was blinking away his drowsiness, "Can't we stay one more day? It won't kill us"

Sokka was already walking away and back to the wooden table at the opposite side of the room where the rest of the things he was packing were, "Aren't you a nomad or something? Be happy we're leaving," The 15 year old spoke absentmindedly while tying together a barbed cloth, "We gotta get to the Fire Nation Capital in time for the invasion and we can't end the war in this house"

Zuko huffed, pushing himself to his feet, "Alright, we're all up," He turned to look down at a tired Toph, "We'll continue training whenever we stop while we're traveling"

"I know how it goes, I've been training with two other sifus already," She smiled, scratching her hair that had already reached the middle of her neck already (her hair grows fast), " You're gonna have to get used to not having my undivided attention anymore"

"Whuh- I know that!"

Sokka raised an eyebrow, "Do you though? You kept throwing fits whenever you thought I wasn't listening to you yesterday"

"That was because I'm doing you the favor of training you!" 

" Suuuure"

"Rich kid"

"SHUT UP"

____________________

After an hour or two of packing (with the occasional tomfoolery that Sokka would yell at them for), the group said their final goodbyes to the old summer home and were off. 

Suki was deep underground, riding on Wander's back with Katara by her side as Toph Earthbent a passageway with Wander up front on the ground. Aang, Zuko, and Sokka were traveling high above in the sky on Appa. 

Since this isn't the Earth Kingdom and they were technically in enemy territory, the group couldn't risk getting caught traveling through the Fire Nation on a giant sky bison and badgermole, especially if they figured out that Toph was the Avatar. So they had to separate in their respective forms so no one would see them. It was safer that way and they were still going in the same direction, just Appa was flying much higher than he usually did and Wander was tunneling underground (as he used to do with Toph when it was just them, Sokka and Katara apparently?)

"So you're sure we're going the right way, Toph?" She asked, how was she certain that they were following the others if they were underneath the Earth?

Upfront and not stopping her tunneling with Wander, Toph cackled, "Of course I'm sure, I can feel Appa's giant body of water from all the way down here! We're not gonna get lost, don't worry" 

"Right, because you've never gotten lost before while moving underground" Katara rolled her eyes with a smile 

"Okay that was one time!" The tiny Earthbender argued, "And if I didn't get mixed up, we would've never met so you can't even use that against me!"

 

"What in the world are you guys talking about?" The 16 year old asked 

The girl by her side chuckled and leaned back on her hands, "When Toph first found out she was the Avatar, she needed to get to the Northern Water Tribe to find a Waterbending master to teach her but she wound up going the wrong way and ended up in the Southern Water Tribe instead-"

" COLD IS COLD! WHY ARE THERE TWO POLES ANYWAY!?"

Suki laughed, "Don't worry Toph, I don't get it either. And besides," She grinned and wrapped an arm around Katara's shoulders, "If we get lost, it's just more girl time, right?" 

The 14 year old gave her an unconvincing look, "You think us getting lost would be girl time?"

"Well it would certainly make up for it," She crossed her arms, "After you two had so much of it last night" 

"That wasn't girl time, girl time," Toph said, chuckling at her new nickname she had just created, "We were actually having a long, deep conversation regarding the very delicate subject of mortality and forgiveness"

Morality and forgiveness? What the…? 

Suki eyed Katara curiously and she understood it was her que to explain, "Toph wants to try and give Azula another chance during the invasion- which I am very against"

"Ah" 

" Buuut we understand how the other feels now and came to a compromise!" Toph added

"Oh, well good for you guys" Suki smiled

She was happy her friends were able to successfully communicate their differing viewpoints without their relationship turning sour. It was obvious the two cared for each other very deeply and even more obvious they loved each other so she was proud they were able to overcome their adversity.

Well, even if Suki was siding with Katara on it. She saw what happened in Omashu, she was there when it all went down- Azula is crazy . But she hardly thinks this is something to argue with Toph about, it is her decision and she's a tough kid- she isn't going down the same way twice.

And if anyone can even remotely try to turn the Firebender around, it's Toph. She was able to convince Suki and all of the Kyoshi Warriors that she was much more than the Cursed Avatar in a day (she… still feels bad about all the crap they put her through that day, they put her in a fucking cage ) and was able to help Zuko change sides. 

Suki rubbed her bare face, she hasn't been able to wear her Kyoshi Warrior makeup in months and she wondered when she will be able to wear it again (if she ever will).

She doubts Azula will come around and it might end up becoming a much bigger drive for her to kill the Avatar and it could get dangerous fast but Toph will know when to back off, she has to. She just hoped it didn't blow up in their faces. 

"So did anyone else think Yue was cute or was that just me?" 

She doesn't need to worry about it right now and the other two sure as hell don't need to worry about it either. They were still young, Katara being two years younger and Toph four. They're still kids. 

"Princess? You like her? How much did I miss when I was in that coma?!" 

____________________

"Make sure your arms are always moving, it'll make your enemy focus on your upper body and then you can attack using your legs" 

Zuko, Sokka, and Aang were all riding on Appa with Aang on the animal's head, guiding him forward and the two older boys on the saddle. The Firebender sat across from Sokka, both of them facing each other cross-legged.

As he rode on the bison with the two Nonbenders, he explained more strategies of sword fighting, holding his long blade in his hand while Sokka held the other of the matching set. 

Sokka nodded his head along, absorbing the knowledge while taking the sleeping Momo off his lap and placing him on his head, completely serious, "Right, right. But what if my legs are pinned?" 

"Get creative then, you're good at that" Zuko found himself surprised at this response. He has been throwing compliments at the Water Tribe boy left and right, he could chalk it up to Sokka being his student but he almost never compliments Toph and she's picking Fire faster than he ever did 

What was wrong with him? 

Wishing to not dive into that rabbit hole now, Zuko placed his sword down and crawled up the saddle and sat down right where it ended, near Aang, "Have you ever thought about learning the sword? Besides using that stupid boomerang" 

He heard a throat clear from behind him, "Um excuse me but that stupid boomerang is mine!" Sokka snarled, placing his hands on his hips while Momo stayed on his head 

Aang chuckled, "I'm sure Zuko didn't mean it, Sokka. Besides, he's not the one using it, I am and I like the boomerang!" 

"I'll take that as a no to swords then," Zuko said before shifting so he was sitting on his butt instead of his knees, "Did you teach him how to use the boomerang, Sokka?"

Aang was really good at it, his throws were incredibly controlled and precise and he never missed a target for as long as he's seen him attack. The skill level reminded him of Mai.

The two boys exchanged dumbfounded glances before staring back at him with grins that looked far too big to be real. The 12 year old nodded frantically, "Oh uh-huh! Yep! He taught me everything I know! And all those curves and stuff, all him!"

" HAHAHA! YEAH!" Sokka laughed but he wasn't sure what was so funny, "Hey, did you ever realize how funny it is that Aang has a boomer ang? Aang? Boomerang? Funny right?" 

Zuko blinked, "Oh uh… yeah" He didn't understand why in the world it was funny but agreed anyway

"So uh-... You guys think the others are okay? They couldn't have gotten lost, right?" Aang asked in an effort to change the subject for some reason (?)

Sokka blew air from his mouth, "They're fine, Toph's using her Water sense to know where we are," He then chuckled and nudged Zuko's arm, "They're probably talking about girl things" 

"Girl things?" 

"Yeah you know, girl things! Hair, cute boys, make up!"

Make up? Cute boys? 

Oh so he meant those kinds of girl things. The kind of girl things that Azula liked to talk about were homicide and burning flesh. 

"Do you even know them?" Aang laughed 

"Okay, maybe not the boys part but everything else I stand by!" Sokka leaned on Zuko, "They're probably gushing about how cute that girl in Omashu was!" 

"What makes you say that, Sokka?" Aang asked

"Trust me, I just know these things. They're all just a bunch of stupid girls who get soft for other girls. Just boring stuff"

 ____________________

"- SUKI THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE! KYOSHI CAN'T FUCKING STEAL KOH THE FACE STEALER'S FACE!" Katara screamed, holding her head. Spirits, she was getting a headache

"HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?! ARE YOU KYOSHI? THAT'S WHAT I FUCKING THOUGHT!" 

"I MET KOH AND HE'S A COCKY ASSHOLE WHO THINKS NO ONE CAN KILL HIM, IF SHE COULD'VE STOLEN HIS FACE, SHE WOULD'VE DONE IT!" Toph shouted as she continued Earthbending with Wander

"BULL FUCKING SHIT! DO THAT AVATAR THING, CALL HER HERE! WE'LL ASK HER, YOU FUCKING PUNKS"

Katara whipped her head to the Avatar who was still tunneling as they yelled, " TOPH, GET KYOSHI"

____________________

"Maybe you're right, Sokka"

Suki, Katara and Toph were girls who liked other girls, they were probably talking about that and that didn't even sound remotely interesting to Zuko. He was lucky he went with Aang and Sokka instead of switching with Suki, which was the original arrangement- but Sokka insisted that Zuko come with him and the young Nonbender. 

The Firebender rolled onto his back, staring up at the sky as he spoke, "So if girls talking about how cute other girls are is called 'girl stuff', is guys talking about how cute other guys are called 'boy stuff'?" 

Not that he cares or anything, he's just curious.

"Sokka! You're confusing him!" Aang scolded and looked at Zuko, "It's not called girl stuff or boy stuff , it's just called love. People can love whoever they wanna"

"Yeah, even if that person is a banjo playing wise-ass or an annoying Waterbending idiot," Sokka shrugged, grinning at his own joke, "Love is love" 

Why are all these people so okay with something he was taught to shun? For a girl to love another girl, for a boy to love another boy ( he was a boy ). It was normal. It was normal and okay and it wasn't disgusting or unnatural, you should feel safe to express who you are and express who you love.

Because Suki liked girls, Katara and Toph were dating, Aang loved everybody, and Wander and Appa were fiances apparently. And it was seen as normal because it was normal.

The Fire Nation was wrong to forbid it, they were wrong to demonize it, wrong to groom the people from an early age that it was immoral. Because it wasn't. It wasn't that at all, it was love and it was the same love that a man and woman could share. 

"Huh," He said, looking up at a passing cloud that resembled an open door, "Do you guys love anyone? Like a preference?" He thought nothing about how personal that question might be, actually, he thought of nothing at all 

"Well, I don't really have a preference! I just really think everyone is nice, you, Sokka, just people," Aang grinned then ruffled the fur on Appa's head, "And Appa is gonna get married!"

Sokka crossed his arms, "Well if you must know, I'm with Aang on this- both genders are nice. But I dunno, I think Katara and Azula ruined girls for me" 

" Spirits..." Aang face palmed, hiding his smile from under his hands 

Zuko laughed, " HA! It's funny because they're the worst!"

" Thank you!" Sokka grinned wildly at the Firebender before taking a deep breath and grabbing his red bag that Zuko liked a lot, he shuffled in it for a moment, "Alright back to business, we gotta focus if we wanna get to the Capital. We got a long way to go if we wanna make it there in time"

"We still have a week and a half. We'll get there," The 12 year old glanced down at his bison, "Won't we, Appa?"

The animal gave a loud groan of agreement that shook the entire saddle but Sokka seemed unfazed, probably because he had much more experience riding the bison then he did, "Well I'm gonna have to add on to my schedule- bathroom breaks are getting cut by three minutes by the way" He said as he jotted a couple notes down on a sheet of white paper

Zuko crawled next to him, "Earlier you said our bathroom breaks were five minutes, if you're cutting them that means we're gonna have two minutes? I can't even get my pants down in that time!"

"Well learn then"

"Why do we even need to time our bathroom breaks, they never take long anyway!" Aang said 

Sokka squinted and pointed the tip of his brush at the Nonbender, "Because you idiots like wasting time! After we beat the Fire Nation during The Day of Black Sun, you can waste all the time in the world for all I care, Aang"

"Thanks, Sokka!"

"And if we don't beat them that day?" Zuko raised an eyebrow 

"Then there's still time before the comet- I have backup plans but don't worry, we're gonna win. Toph can beat the Fire Lord with her Earthbending alone and now she has the Avatar State under her belt, she'll be unstoppable"

She'll be unstoppable if she doesn't hesitate. 

If she doesn't do something stupid and forgive the piece of shit like she is planning to do with Azula. Even if the solar eclipse blocks their Firebending, he will get it back eventually and when he does, he knows that his father will not hesitate on the young girl.

Zuko said nothing. 

____________________

Azula had just stepped out of the royal throne room, a smirk curled onto her features. Mai and Ty Lee were waiting outside the door for her-

'They're good friends. You should tell them that more' The Cursed Avatar's voice echoed through her head in a similar way it did yesterday but she shook it off 

That blasted child is practically haunting her, as if she didn't bother her enough when she was alive . She couldn't get rid of the gnawing voice in the back of her mind, always peering her annoying suggestions and questions in when she didn't need them. 

Azula was done with the Avatar, she was nothing but an embarrassment to the cycle, father said. He called her weak and disgusting, unfit and unable to wield the power the Avatar spirit possessed-

'You've fought me before, you know that's not true,' The Avatar whispered, 'You've met your match in me when it comes to strength'

It was true, even without the Avatar State the girl was able to equal Azula in power, wit and reflexes. She was the first opponent she ever felt herself truly have to put a conscious effort into fighting. 

But it didn't matter. 

The Avatar was dead and she will be known as the Cursed Avatar for all of time if history doesn't forget her tiny blurb of a life. 

Ty Lee smiled at her, "How did it go with your father, Azula?" She bounced on her feet, "What did you need to tell him that was so important? Was it the next Avatar?"

The Firebender began walking as the two girls followed, walking on each side of her, "No, it is something much greater than the Avatar"

"All anyone is talking about is that next Avatar, it's getting boring hearing about a baby all the time," Mai sighed, "This better be good"

Apparently the Cursed Avatar's voice wasn't vocal during matters of her next life, only seeming to pop up whenever Azula needed a moral check-in.

The 14 year old twisted a grin, "While our wonderful army was taking some matters of rebuilding Omashu, the general stumbled across something very important"

"Oooo! What was it? Another rabaroo?" 

"More of those disgusting paintings of their half naked king?

"No, apparently the Earth Kingdom believed they still had a chance against us. They are staging an invasion during a solar eclipse which will render Firebenders helpless without their bending," She smiled, "And now we know about it"

Father was overjoyed at her news when she told him, he was ecstatic at crushing what little enemy they had left. The Fire Nation will now be able to prepare accordingly for the not-so-surprise-attack. And that was because of her. 

She conquered Omashu, Ba Sing Se, Gaoling, the entire Earth Kingdom, without her, the Avatar would have still been alive and the nation would have been defenseless in the invasion that was due in a week and a half. 

Father was proud, it was the first time she saw him crack a smile since she came home announcing her wins. 

'You shouldn't have to fight for your dad to smile at you'

No, shut up. 

It felt good to see his smile, his pride. He was proud of her and his tough love only makes her stronger. It is why she strives to accomplish so much, Azula worked too hard for too long to let the Avatar's voice in her head make her start questioning her life, her future.

The three stepped outside the royal palace, walking down the mass of grand stairs at a leisurely pace, Mai spoke, "But will they go through with it? Now that the Cursed Avatar is dead?"

"That's a very good question, Mai. We don't know, but we will make preparations in case"

Azula couldn't wait for the eclipse, knowing the Avatar's ragtag team of misfits, they will most certainly be there and so will Zuko. She will be able to break them all down, one by one and watch them crumble as they realize that not only have they lost their friend, their dear plan has fallen apart as she was always just one step ahead. 

She was always one step ahead and will continue to be for as long as she is alive. And when she is crowned Fire Lord in years to come, she will keep being ahead of the game, wiping out coups and unloyal members of the Fire Nation. All those in her way of spreading the Nation's influence will be dead and the Cursed Avatar was an example of her ability. 

The Avatar was dead, the next one was reborn, the Earth Kingdom was under their control, she is beloved by all and now they know the enemy's scheme. 

The Fire Nation has won and Azula was happy .

'Are you though?' The Avatar asked inside her head 

Azula ignored her. 

____________________

They have been flying for a couple hours now and the sun had long set, the moon taking its place in the dark sky. 

"And then there was the time on the prison rig, we saved a whole bunch of Earthbenders from this work camp that was in the middle of the ocean!" Sokka grinned widely, resting against the lifted part of the saddle with folded arms, "This guy -Haru- his dad was taken there so we made a plan to free all the people there so him and Toph got captured and sent there, then Karara and I came at night and we all just started rebelling and attacking all the guards there. The prisoners took the ships and went to go free all the other camps as well"

Sokka and Aang have been telling Zuko about all the adventures they've been on together as a team from before he joined. Most of them he's heard about either because he was there or because of news while in Omashu. 

But some of them he never realized had more context. 

When they were at Kyoshi Island, he didn't know that Toph was in that cage when he saw her and Uncle talking. Now that he thinks about it, he guessed that Iroh was the one who freed her and they were actually having a very nice conversation before he interrupted with his murderous rampage.   

And during the Winter Solstice when he and Uncle managed to capture Toph while she was in the Avatar State, that wasn't the Avatar State, she was in the Spirit World! The only reason he didn't kill her then was because he believed she was in the Avatar State, the Avatar cycle ends if they are killed in the Avatar State, then the Fire Nation will be unable to get their Firebending Avatar weapon. But she wasn't even in it! He could have killed her there if he knew! Holy shit!

As Sokka explained, Zuko listened with vigor. He remembered hearing about that a long while ago and didn't really care, around that time he had already given up his search for the Avatar and was on the run with Uncle, he had much bigger problems than focusing on what Toph was doing to help people. 

While he and Uncle Iroh jumped from town to town, he did notice an extreme change in the Earth Kingdom villagers' opinions over her. Their loud, angry shame towards her shifted into pride and reform. Looking back, Zuko wished he had switched that quickly as well then maybe he would have been fighting with them against the Fire Nation much sooner.

"Ooo! Tell Zuko about that gang you told me about that you guys stopped before I joined!" Aang exclaimed from up front, "What was it called again? The Vixen gang? The Waxing Te? 

"The Wéixiăn De" The 15 year old corrected 

"Okay, I've heard about the prison rig and all the other stuff you talked about but I've never heard of that," Zuko chuckled at the Nonbenders, "You guys took down a fucking gang?"

Sokka rested his hands behind his head in pride, "Yep, but it's no big deal," He made it sound like a big deal, "We came into this village that was getting terrorized by this gang and we just stormed over to their boss' house and beat the crap outta him then threw him in jail. We basically saved the town by doing that"

Zuko rolled his eyes, "And by 'we' you mean Toph?" 

"HEY! I helped just as much!" He huffed before crossing his arms with a pout, "I don't see you having any cool stories from your boring adventures of looking for the Avatar"

"I have cool stories!" Zuko shouted before pausing to think

What were his cool stories? There was that one time when he ran into pirates when he was 14, but they were cool and left him and his crew alone. What about when he went to Gaoling and interrogated Toph's dads? No, they refused to fight him and then kicked him out and told him she went South so that story was both embarrassing and uneventful. 

Did he have any cool stories? 

"Did I tell you guys about Zhao?" His gaze shifted in between the two boys

"Who's Zhao?" Aang asked 

Sokka sucked his teeth in disgust, "That asshole? I fucking hated that guy! The first time we ran into him, his fucking men threatened to kill me and Katara if Toph didn't go with them! They knocked her out and then us!" He explained, "By the time we woke up, we had no idea where they went and we were freaking out and started to make a plan to try and get Toph back but like an hour- hour and a half into it, Toph comes back with a busted lip and soaking wet!" He shouted, "She told us it was some Zhao guy and not you, which surprised us at the time. But she didn't tell us anything else about it"

"That sounds super traumatizing" Aang shuddered 

"Oh it was, still is"

Wait, that was all Toph told them about that night? That it wasn't him who kidnapped her? She didn't tell them that Zuko was the one who saved her? He would have wondered why didn't she say anything to her friends but he knew exactly why. 

Toph was looking out for him

She knew that if she told Sokka and Katara what had really happened, they would have only hated Zuko more, believing that he only saved her to kill her himself. It was true but after he passed out and fell into the water and she saved him , he couldn't do it. He couldn't kill her, he was too tired and it wouldn't have been right. 

Since the beginning, all this time , Toph has known that he was good and she was giving him chances since they first met. How did she become so intuitive? How did she get to be wise enough to know he was truly good but just a little messed up? How did he ever get so lucky to deserve another chance at life? 

He still was sure it had to do with something from before she 'met her dads at Earth Rumble', whatever that means... 

Toph had a different family, she had a different life , he just doesn't know what. But whatever it was, it helped her understand him better. How else would she be able to relate to him when he told her that his father believed he was an embarrassment, that he was weak. Had she gone through something similar? There was still so much he didn't know about her.

"I uh…" Zuko shook his head of his thoughts, "But anyway, me and Zhao always hated each other. He was always a real asshole, not just with you guys. When we found out who the Avatar was, it was basically just me and him competing to kill Toph at the time- before the entire Fire Nation got involved," He said as the boys nodded along, "So there was this one time when Zhao was already getting to the Northern Water Tribe where you guys were heading, and he wrote me a letter saying that. And I remember the letter being really fucked up, it was like 'when I kill her, I'll give you her eyes as a gift' or something like that, and then he asked if I wanted them on a string or in a jar" 

Holy crap did that letter make him angry, it infuriated him so much at the time that he burned it to a crisp. But now that he's looking back on it, what Zhao wrote to him was twisted. 

"Ew," Aang said on reflex, "That's really fucked up"

Sokka swallowed, "Yeah, what a freak. Good thing he… uh wait- did Zhao die?" 

"Didn't Toph banish him to the Fog of Lost Souls or something when they fought at the Northern Water Tribe? What even is that?" 

"You know it was very unclear"





After a little while of conversation later, they decided that it was time to settle and set up camp for the night. Aang gently steered Appa down towards the rocky ground and the bison landed almost weightlessly on the land.

"-If you're a Firebender, why don't you know how to cook?" Aang asked as he leaped off his pet's head, "You'd been able to cook your own food!"

"He makes a good point"

Zuko lit his left hand aflame for a source of light, "Look, not every Firebender knows how to fucking cook just because they could make fire. Does every Waterbender know how to make soup?" 

"Well actually Katara makes this really nice Water Tribe stew with meat and-"

"Okay nevermind"

As Zuko spoke, Wander and Toph burrowed out from the ground like moles, covered in a thick layer of dirt and dust but neither seemed to care.

He sighed in relief, finally, it won't just be him and those idiots with their weird stories and questions, the Firebender went over to the three girls…-

Who were all covered in black ash and… soaking wet for some reason? Weren't they underground, how the fuck were they wet? They all looked fucking exhausted. What happened to them?

"Uh… Hey guys" Aang waved, giving them the same bewildered looked Sokka and himself were giving them 

"What the fuck happened to you guys?" Sokka asked 

Katara began to bend the water out of her, Suki and Toph's clothes, "Just girl stuff" She responded blankly but Zuko had a feeling there was more than girl stuff that happened while they were underground, they looked like they fought in a war 

But that didn't stop Sokka from giving him and Aang a knowing look matched with a smug, shit eating grin. 

The Firebender was about to tell the Water Tribe boy to shut up but his attention caught onto Toph, "Toph? What's that on your face?" 

"What's on my…" She raised her hand and touched her face and suddenly blinked in realization, wiping a white substance from under her eye, "Oh! It's just oil paint"

"Hey fun fact, did you know that even though Kyoshi never met Koh the Face Stealer, she did take down a squid-shark with one hand?" Suki grinned as Katara and Toph groaned in unison 

"Who the fuck is Koh the Face Stealer?"

Notes:

I think I should say that Azula is NOT crazy for hearing Toph's voice in her head, just like how she WASN'T crazy for seeing/hearing Ursa in the final episode in canon (despite what literally ALL the canon comics are trying to paint Azula as). Toph's voice is literally Azula's moral conscience but since she distances herself so far from it, her mind makes it into something else, something easier to deal with and process and that's the Avatar's voice since she's been giving her advice and shut since the get-go :)

Also, GAY TALK THIS CHAPTER!!! LOVE IS NORMAL AND FUCKING GREAT!!!! ZUKO IS GAY AND IS NOW COMING TO TERMS WITH IT AND EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!!!

Chapter 6: Family Ties

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The group had just stopped to set up camp in the middle of a forest after a couple days of nonstop traveling. Sokka said that if they keep at this pace, they'll get to the Fire Nation Capital soon. It was a week until the invasion and this war was going to end. 

It was late at night and they were all huddled around the small fire as they spoke before heading off to bed. Toph ran a finger through her hair, it was nearly touching her shoulders already, maybe she'll be able to put it back in her bun by the time of The Day of Black Sun...

"And then there was this one time when Katara was ten and she accidentally unfroze the ice underneath her feet and she fell right into the freezing water!" Sokka recalled another embarrassing memory of his sister for all their friends to listen 

They all laughed at the stupidity of the young, untrained Katara. Suki cackled, "I'm pretty sure the first time we fought, your water went in the total opposite direction" 

Katara chewed her lip, trying to replace her amusement with frustration, "What did you expect of me? It's not like I was able to learn in a village of Nonbenders!" 

"You should've learned from fish or the ocean, straight from the source like I did," Toph shrugged as she was sprawled across Zuko's lap, "Right, Aang?"

"I heard that the Airbenders learned bending from the Air bison and that Firebenders learned from the dragons!" 

The Waterbender leaned over and flicked the Avatar lightly on the nose, "Not everyone can talk to animals like you, you weirdo" 

"Toph can talk- nevermind, I don't have the energy for that context," Zuko huffed before looking at Katara, "I've been curious about this for a while but how're you a Waterbender if no one else in your village was? Like did you have Waterbending ancestors?" 

The 14 year old nodded in reply, "Our Gran Gran's wife was one, and so was her brother" 

"Oh really? Wow!" 

"Yeah but we've never met either of them," Sokka said, "So Katara's been the only Waterbender in the Southern Water Tribe since forever" 

Toph couldn't even imagine being the only Earthbender in Gaoling while all the rest are on the other side of the world. She had quickly come to the conclusion right after meeting Katara that that must suck.  

She wondered that if the Fire Nation never attacked the Southern Tribe and there were more Waterbenders, how different would things have been. Would there have been an Earth Rumble equivalent there? Katara would have definitely mastered Water from a way earlier age, that much she knew.

As the rest continued to converse, Toph felt someone begin to approach them from a couple dozen meters away. It was a woman, an old woman with a calm heart. 

"And then I said, 'I'll kick your-!" Zuko was interrupted by-

" Hello there-"  

"AHH!" 

The kids screamed at the voice, all jumping together and holding each other. The woman came into view from behind the trees, smiling warmly at the group. 

… 

They squinted at Toph, who didn't react at all to her presence, "Thanks for the warning, Toph" Sokka grumbled, removing himself from the terrifying embrace

"Sorry, I forgot you're all not as amazing as me," She shrugged her shoulder before standing to her feet, facing the woman and smiling, "Hi. Sorry for my friends, they're really jumpy"

She didn't seem like she needed help, she wasn't hurt and her heart didn't beat to show that she was in any danger. Why was she here? The woman chuckled, "I'm sorry to frighten you, children. My name is Hama," She placed a hand on her chest, "You all are so young you shouldn't be out in the forest by yourself at night, it isn't safe"

Toph found it ironic that she says that because she was an old lady in a dark forest alone, wasn't it not safe for her too? 

Hama stood over the fire, "I have an inn nearby, why don't you come back with me for some tea and warm beds?" 

Sokka leaned in and whispered to the Avatar, not taking his eyes off Hama, "Truth?" 

After the Avatar nodded, the Water Tribe boy stood up straight and smiled, "Yes please- wait, what kind of beds?" 

"Uh… regular beds?" Hama blinked, "I don't understand what you mean"

"I mean that they're not Kangs right?" 

"Are you serious , Sokka?" Katara gave her brother a small push before turning to the elderly lady, "Forgive my brother, he's not rude, just an idiot" 

Hama laughed, "It's alright. And they're not Kangs, if I'm being honest I don't fancy them either"

"Yes!" Sokka punched the air excitedly before the group followed the old lady 





Hama led them to her inn that was located atop a small hill that was further away from a village in the near distance. When inside, Hama took them into the kitchen and sat them down for some tea, they sat around a wooden table. On the left was Sokka, Aang and Suki and on the right side sat Katara, Toph and Zuko with Hama sitting at the head of the table.

The place was pretty nice, Toph felt about 18 rooms in the entire establishment and even an attic on the third floor with her Air Sense (on account of the wooden floors, her Seismic Sense was virtually useless). There were no other people inside though, it was just them. 

Katara bowed her head slightly while she held her cup, "Thanks for letting us stay here, your inn is very nice"

"Yeah, do you get a lot of travelers coming past here a lot?" Aang asked, taking a sip from his cup 

"Once in a while yes," Hama smiled, "This is a very quiet village, it's not everyday you see new faces around here" 

"I'd imagine, most people live in Ember Island or near the capital" Zuko said and she thanked every spirit in the world for gracing this stupid team (herself included) with a Fire Nation informer 

The old lady was still firmly grasping the tea pot's handle as she stood up, "You all seem like very nice kids, don't worry about- HA!" 

In an instant, Hama opened the lid of the pot and tossed the boiling water onto Katara, who on reflex, Waterbent the hot tea to stop in front of her! 

The others all stood up, prepared to fight this old lady! What the fuck?!  

"So you're a Waterbender?" Hama asked, setting down the still open pot 

"Whuh…" Katar blinked and glanced at the glob of tea she was still levitating in front of her gaspd, quickly guiding the liquid back into the teapot,"No! I'm not- it's just… I'm a…a-" 

" A STREET PERFORMER! We're all street performers, jumping from town to town and bringing entertainment and happiness!" Sokka screeched, slamming his fists on the table 

Oma and Shu, how have they never been caught in every single lie they've ever told because of Sokka? He's so smart and could talk circles around anyone but he's just… such a terrible, terrible liar. 

Obviously, Hama wasn't convinced, "...Of course," She then began walking towards the door frame exiting the room, "I will be right back, don't move" 

When the old lady stepped out of the kitchen and out of earshot, they all began whisper-shouting at each other.

" Katara!" Sokka hissed in a low whisper, reaching over the table to grab his sister by the collar of her shirt, "What the fuck?! You needed to Waterbend?!"

"I was gonna get burned! What did you want me to do!?" She shoved his hands away

"Take one for the team!" 

"That's not taking one for the team, that's-"

Zuko pushed their heads apart, "Okay, shut up you two. We gotta get the fuck outta here before Hama goes and calls the Fire Nation guards or something"

"I'm with Zuko, it's not safe here anymore" Suki agreed 

Toph sat back down without a care in the world, waving them off, "Calm down you guys, she isn't gonna do anything"

Aang raised an eyebrow, "What makes you so sure?" 

"Because she was happy. Her heart practically jumped out of her chest when Katara stopped the tea," The Earthbender explained, placing her hands behind her neck and closing her eyes, "She's not getting the guards" 

"Well if she's not getting the guards then what's she doing?"

"She went upstairs to the attic, she'll be back in a second" Toph said 

Katara hesitantly sat back down, "So what? We just sit and wait here until she gets something that might kill us?"

"Pretty much" Toph knew there was nothing that old lady could do to kill them even if she wanted to (but she doesn't) , but played along anyway, she smiled

After a minute or two, Hama walked back in holding a small box with a large smile spread across her face. They all watched in a tense silence as she slowly made her way back to her original seat and sat down.

Zuko refused to take his eyes off the woman as he leaned over and whispered into Toph's ear, "If we die, I'm gonna fucking kill you in the Spirit World"

"That's fair" She whispered back 

Hama gently rested the box on the table and steadily stuck a key into the small lock and the click it made signaling it was open echoed through the quiet room. Her boney hands leisurely opened the cover, revealing- 

"An old comb?" Aang spoke in an bewildered tone 

" A blue whale tooth comb," The woman spoke gently as she delicately held the small comb, "It's my greatest treasure. It's the last thing I owned from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe"

As the last other words slipped from her mouth, Toph heard Sokka and Katara gasp. 

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Asked the stunned Waterbender

The woman nodded, setting down the comb, "Just like the two of you"

"How did you know?" Sokka said as if he didn't just tell her the most unconvincing lie in history 

"I heard you talking around your campfire"

Suki groaned and buried her face in her hands, "We're so loud…" Yes Suki, yes they are very loud 

Sokka was sitting on the edge of his seat, "How did you end up here in the Fire Nation?" 

"Because of this," Hama spoke and with a wave of her hand, the tea from the nozzle of the kettle floated out from it, creating a small glob of water in front of her. Holy shit- 

Katara gasped again, "You're a Waterbender!" The old lady nodded with a hum as the tea returned back into the pot 

"Wait but…" Zuko began and she could practically hear the cogs churning on his brain, "What happened to make you leave the Southern Water Tribe to come here instead?"

Hama spoke grimly, "I didn't come here out of my own free will- I was stolen," She began to explain, "It was over sixty years ago when the raids started. The Fire Nation began attacking the Southern Water Tribe. They came again and again, each time rounding up more of our Waterbenders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off, but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. And finally, I too was captured," Her voice was barely above a whisper as she spoke, holding her hands as she did, "I was led away in chains. The last Waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe . They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation. I was the only one who managed to escape"

When she was done, she exhaled shakily and Katara and Aang stood up, each of them placing a comforting hand on her shoulders, "That's terrible to hear" Karara said

Hama placed a hand on the Waterbender's and smiled before her face twisted into a grimace, "It was all that Fire Lord Azulon's fault, he was the one who ordered it," She said with a mix of anger and sadness, "And the neither Avatar Gyatso nor Kuruk did anything to stop him"

Toph sunk down into her chair slightly and she felt Zuko do the same. 

It wasn't their fault, she knew that. But she knew that Zulo felt guilt over what his family has done in the same way she felt guilt over what her past lives did and didn't do. 

"How did you get away?" Katara asked, "Why did you stay in the Fire Nation?"

"I… I'm sorry, it's too painful to talk about anymore" Hama swallowed hard 

Sokka nodded in understanding, clasping his cup tightly, "Our Gran Gran told us about the raids"

"Our grandma was captured before we were born and we lost our mom in one eight years ago" Katara added solemnly 

"Oh you poor things…" She said sympathetically, "Have you been there recently?"

"We just left a couple months ago, why?" 

"Well… is there any chance a Kanna is there?" Hama asked with a shred of hope that she tried desperately not to show, "We were married, we had a son- Hakoda. He was about four when I was captured… He must be a grown man at this point-"

THUD!

Sokka yelped and fell right off his chair while Katara choked on her tea. 

The 15 year old jolted back up, not even picking up his chair, " WAIT, YOU'RE HAMA?! LIKE, HAMA HAMA?" He shouted desperately, "GRAN GRAN'S WIFE?"

"Oh shiiiit" Zuko blinked 

Suki nearly laughed, "Now things are getting interesting"

" Gran Gran..?" Hama repeated, incredibly confused before she jumped in recognition, "Wait, are you-"

Katara nodded frantically, standing up with Sokka, "Her grandkids!" 

"Hakoda's kids!" Sokka laughed

"Hakoda had kids? I have grandkids?" Hama repeated their words with a burden of shock and bewilderment 

Suddenly, the old lady pulled both Water Tribe siblings into a bone crushing hug, squeezing them impossibly tight as they laughed, returning the hug cheerfully. 

"How couldn't I have not realized!? You look exactly like Kanna!" Hama cried, holding Katara's grinning face and squishing her cheeks before turning to Sokka and grabbing his face next, "And you! You look just like my Hakoda, well, I haven't seen him since he was a child but the resemblance is uncanny!"

The tiny family continued to talk excitedly over each other as the others watched. 

"This is so sweet" Aang spoke to Suki, Toph and Zuko, holding his hands to his chest

This was a private, family moment, they shouldn't be here watching like weirdos. Toph shook her head and grabbed the Airbender's hand, "This is a private moment, why don't we all go to bed?" She suggested, leading the boy out the room, "Hotman, Girl time, let's go"

____________________

Toph, Zuko, Suki, and Aang walked through the village while Katara and Sokka were back at the inn with Hama. 

Toph thinks that after they went to bed last night, the two Water Tribe siblings didn't go to sleep, that they had just talked to the older lady all night until the sun rose because when they came down this morning, they were already up, still conversating. 

They had left them alone for the day, agreeing to go into town to buy groceries for the old lady in an effort to give Sokka and Katara some more time with their long lost grandmother. She understood that reuniting with people you thought you lost is amazing but the time is far too short, especially if you're traveling. That was what happened with her and her dads in Gaoling. 

Apparently they all thought Hama had died when she was captured by the Fire Nation, but Gran Gran never remarried after that and she raised Hakoda all on her own. Toph wondered how she was going to react when she finds out her deceased wife isn't actually deceased. 

"I think it's nice that Sokka and Katara are able to talk to family, even if they never knew Hama in the first place" Aang smiled as the small group of four made their way down a bustling dirt path. He was holding a basket filled with fruits and vegetables 

Zuko nodded while holding a small bag in one hand, "Yeah, must be nice to be able to meet her"

"I'll say," Toph spoke, holding a giant, heavy pot over her head, "I don't think they slept at all last night"

"Oooh! So that's what I was hearing from my room, I thought I heard people screaming or something," Suki grinned, she was holding a bag one hand while she fished in her pocket for a moment, pulling out a piece of paper, "And we were given a huge list, Hama probably wants to spend as much time with them too. The next thing we need to get is… tomato-carrots"

"I think I saw them back this way, follow me," Aang said before beginning to walk away with Suki, "We'll be right back, guys!"

The two strolled off, leaving Zuko and Toph alone. They ambled in comfortable silence for a while through the small village. 

Did Hama ever think about returning to the Southern Water Tribe? Why would she willingly stay in the place that imprisoned her? Did she start anew? No, she cared way too much about Sokka and Katara's grandmother and father. Toph knew it was a sensitive topic for the Waterbender, that's why she didn't answer it last night but she couldn't help but be slightly curious. But she'll mind her business, it wasn't her place to ask questions. 

Maybe after the war ends, she could help Hama return to the Southern Tribe if she would like to? 

"Don't you feel a little weird staying in the same place as a lady who hates you and your past lives' guts?" The Firebender asked out of nowhere 

Was she supposed to feel weird? It was understandable for Hama to hate her, no one tried to save her when she was in that terrible prison- it was unfair to judge her for something her past lives didn't do but she understood where her hatred came from. 

Toph's gaze was fixed ahead, "A ton of people hate me. Plus, she doesn't know I'm the Avatar," She turned her head up in his direction, "Why? You feel weird she hates your family?" 

"A little," He shrugged, "I mean- I know they're bad, trust me, but what if she finds out? Sokka and Katara might accidentally tell her"

"You don't need to worry, they wouldn't do that," Toph shifted the pot on her head so he could see her wide grin, "And if anything does happen, we'll just high-tail the fuck out of there" 

The 16 year old blew air from his nose and she took it as a good sign that she was able to soothe his worries. Toph's ears perked up at the sound of a conversation between two men over by a market cart a couple feet away. 

"You won't have any ash bananas till next week?"

"Well, I have to send the boy to Hing Wa Island to get them, it's a two-day trip"

"Oh, right. Tomorrow's the full moon..."

"Exactly. I can't lose another delivery boy in the woods"

Zuko seemed to have heard it as well because he commented to her, "People are disappearing in the woods during the full moon? What kinda fucking town is this?"

Indeed, what kind of fucking town was this, Zuko. Why were people going missing during the end of the lunar cycle? And why in the woods of all places? Had these people disrespected the forest? 

"It's probably something to do with a spirit" 

"A spirit?" Zuko repeated, "What makes you say that? What could a spirit want with these people?"

Toph explained as they continued walking, "Sometimes people disrespect the environment and it makes the spirits around angry, they just need to be calmed down and listened to. I bet if we take a look around we'll figure out what these people did and how we can fix it"

The boy groaned lowly, "So what you're saying is that we're all gonna have to get dragged into 'restoring balance by respecting the spirits "

She laughed and gave him a few hard pats on the back which made him stumble forward from her strength, "Well that's what being on a team is all about! Getting dragged into things you don't wanna do!"

____________________

Katara and Sokka were on the outskirts of the village, roaming outside the forest with Hama- and holy shit, Hama was alive and they're talking to her. The stories Gran Gran used to tell of her, of the brave Waterbender who protected their home until the day she was captured, the one who Katara inspired to be just as skilled as she was, she was right in front of them.

The old lady was caught up in a boisterous laugh, "And then- oh, Kanna fell right on her face!" She howled with laughter, holding her head and pushing back her stray bangs, "It was so funny that it made me fall right down next to her!"

Sokka and Katara exchanged glances, walking on either side of the woman before cackling at the stupid stories of Gran Gran in her youth. Katara felt slightly bad at laughing but Hama had so many great stories- stories Gran Gran would have never told them. 

"Wow Granny, who knew Gran Gran was such a princess when she first came to the Southern Water Tribe!" Sokka grinned

The three continued their stroll down a messy path that led to nothing but hills as far as Katara could see. Hama nodded, "Yes when she first came here, one of the first things she said was how different it was from the Northern Water Tribe. It took some time to get used to it all but she loved it," She said before sighing, looking off into the distance, " And I loved her… There isn't a single day that goes by where I don't think of her or Hakoda"

The 14 year old rested a hand on Hama's shoulder, "She always talks about you, she's gonna be so happy when we tell her the news," She smiled warmly, "Why don't you come back south?" 

"I couldn't, not now at least" Hama shook her head, "It's still so dangerous for us Waterbenders, now more than ever since the Avatar had just died. And I still have business left to finish here"

Katara wanted to say more. To say that isn't any way for a Waterbender as skilled as herself to be talking, to ask what kind of business is she referring to, was it the inn? If Katara was in her shoes, she would have gone back to her Tribe the moment she escaped. But she wasn't her granny in the same way her granny wasn't her.

"So were you able to learn Waterbending from a master in our own Tribe?" Sokka asked

The Waterbending woman nodded, "Yes, though I know now that there are no other Waterbenders there- well, besides you," She glanced at Katara, "When I was young, many, many years ago, there were plenty of benders around. I'm guessing you learned in the Northern Water Tribe?" 

"Yes, we travelled all the way there so we- I can find a master," Katara nearly hit herself on the head at her near slip up, no one can know Toph was the Avatar, not even their granny, "But I know that their Waterbending styles are probably different from how they were in the South Pole"

" Very different- Water is the element of change, Waterbenders are versatile and quick to adapt. There are many different styles of Waterbending depending on where they live"

Katara's mouth dropped, Granny knew a lot about Waterbending, didn't she? "That's amazing!" 

She chuckled, "I can teach you a little bit of the Southern tradition while you're still here if you'd like"

Katara found herself nodding almost automatically, "I'd love to learn!"

Holy crap, Katara was going to learn the true Southern Water Tribe Waterbending style from a master hailing from such. Master Pakku was a spectacular teacher but he was from the Northern Water Tribe, if she was going to learn the Southern way, she needed a Southern master.

"Alright, growing up in the-"

"Wait!" Sokka interrupted the woman's lesson and Katara nearly saw red. Her brother ran over to a tree and popped down on the grass, he smiled and waved his hand, "Okay! Now go!"

Hama laughed before turning to face the Waterbender, "Right, as I was saying, growing up in the South Pole, Waterbenders are totally at home surrounded by snow and ice and seas. But as you probably noticed on your travels, that isn't the case wherever you go"

"Yeah, there aren't always lakes or stuff in towns and villages and sometimes my canteen breaks" 

They had stopped walking at this point, "Things happen, that's why you have to learn to control water wherever it exists," In one fast movement of Hama's hand, she used Waterbending catch the water vapor in the air, freezing it on her fingertips and creating ice claws, "Did you know you could even pull water out of thin air?"

Standing with her mouth hung open, Katara nodded wordlessly. 

"You've got to keep an open mind, Katara. There's water in places you never think about," She spoke wisely before turning to her sitting grandson, "Come Sokka, we're going somewhere else more private to learn"

Sokka smiled and jumped to his feet, rushing after them as the two females began walking. 

Katara doesn't know how long they will be staying here for but she knows not for long. She will learn hard and absorb as much knowledge from her grandma as she possibly could for the little time she's here. She'll have to teach Toph some of these moves later on as well. 

"We'll learn until the sun goes down, then I'll teach you the ultimate technique of Waterbending. It can only be done during the full moon, when your bending is at its peak" Hama spoke aloud as they walked 

____________________

The others were finally making their way back to the inn after leaving hours ago. Aang said it was dark out now and Suki said something about it being a full moon. Toph hoped that Sokka and Katara got to spend plenty of time with their grandma because she knew that they would most likely be leaving tomorrow- they still need to get to the Fire Nation Capital. 

While they were grocery shopping, they tried to look for a reason that a spirit would be upset. But it proved to be fruitless, this village was probably the nicest natural environment in the entire Fire Nation- the people were nice, the trees weren't disturbed and the animals sounded at peace. Nothing around here could have angered a spirit.

Well, that was until they spoke to an old man, Ding. He was apparently the only person to ever see the spirit and live. But the guy never actually saw anything. 

He claimed to have been possessed almost, that a force came over him and made him walk toward the large mountain past the trees in the forest. But then the moon began to set and the sun rose and he was able to move his limbs again and he ran far away from the mountain.

But that didn't make any sense, can spirits control people like that? And even if they could, why would it stop when the sun started to come up? Why not just finish the job?

"That old man Ding was really weird" Zuko said as they walked back in the dark not night 

"Yeah but at least he gave us some info on the spirit, we just need to figure out…" Aang spoke before slouching, " Everything else…"  

"But why would a spirit want to take people to a mountain? That's what I don't get" Suki asked 

Toph walked ahead of them, "I dunno but you guys said tonight's a full moon, right? And I dunno about you but getting controlled by a spirit isn't really on my agenda today"

They all gave murmurs of agreement before they noticeably picked up their pace a bit. Soon they neared the inn and the Earthbender felt Sokka sitting outside on the steps, sharpening his sword with a huge smile on his face. 

He seemed to notice them because he waved at the group, "Oh hey guys, you're finally back!"

"Hey Sokka," Aang greeted, "Uh, where's Katara?"

"Huh? Oh, she went with granny into the forest to learn some really powerful Waterbending move or something," He shrugged and went back to sharpening his blade, "They've been Waterbending all day and they wanted me to come with but I didn't wanna, Katara has a hard enough time focusing as it is"

So Katara and Hama went into the forest.

Where people are getting taken by a spirit.

On the full moon. 

When it happens.

…. 

Suki inhaled and very quietly said, "Sokka, honey ... We found out that people are getting taken in that forests during full moons" She then pointed up to the sky, "Like tonight" 

"Oh"

"Yeah"

… 

...

" ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!?" He shrieked, jumping to his feet and putting his sword behind his back, " WHAT THE FUCK!? COME ON!" 

He ran blindly into the forest, leaving the rest in the dust. 

Oh spirits, he's gonna get himself killed . He was supposed to be the smart one.

Toph cursed, throwing her pot off her head and onto the ground and rushing after him, " SOKKA! HANG ON, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" The others scrambled after them

____________________

"-What I'm about to show, I discovered in that terrible Fire Nation prison"

After a day of lessons, when the sun had begun to set, Hama had led Katara into the woods where she promised to teach her a new Waterbending technique. Now they had finally stopped walking, they stood underneath the pale moonlight as the animals sang and howled into the dark night. 

Katara stayed silent as her grandmother continued, "The guards were always very careful to keep any water away from us. They piped in dry air and had us suspended away from the ground. Before giving us any water, they would bind our hands and feet so we couldn't bend. Any sign of trouble was met with cruel retribution," She explained, her back facing Katara, "And yet each month, I felt the full moon enriching me with its energy. And I knew there had to be something I could do to escape. Then I realized that where there is life, there is water . The rats that scurried across the floor of my cage were nothing more than skins filled with liquid and I spent years developing the skill that would lead to my escape…"

"Bloodbending," Hama finally turned around 

Sorry, but did she say Bloodbending? As in the stuff inside their bodies, the stuff they need t o live? Is this what Granny was going to teach her..?

"Controlling the water in another body, enforcing your own will over theirs. And once I had mastered the rats, I was ready for the men. During the next full moon, I walked free for the first time in decades, my cell unlocked by the very guards assigned to keep me in," 

Despite her sinister words, she spoke sincerely with care, "Once you perfect this technique, you can control anything or anyone . No one will ever hurt you in the way they hurt me"

Control anything or… anyone? Using their blood to force their will? That sounds terrifying , why would she ever wish to do that to anyone?

Katara rubbed her arm, "I-I dunno if I want that kinda power, Granny..."

"It's a good power, Katara. It exists and needs to be used. We are in a war, we need to use the gifts we're given in order to protect ourselves," Katara stayed quiet as Hama stepped closer, "They tried to wipe us out, our entire culture, your mother. It's unforgivable"

The young Waterbender turned her gaze downcast, "I know…"

"Then you understand what I'm talking about. We're the last two Waterbenders of the Southern Tribe. We have to fight these people whenever we can, wherever they are, with any means necessary!"

Hama was right, the Fire Nation did deserve to suffer because of their actions but… it felt wrong. Toph was right since the beginning, not everyone in the Fire Nation was evil- Zuko was proof of that. It wouldn't be right... but at the same time, they hurt them. They should pay! 

They should pay for all the pain they've caused to not just her, or Hama, or the Southern Water Tribe, but to the whole world. How many people have died or are imprisoned because of them? It wasn't fair, it hurt her so much and it wasn't fair. 

She felt Hama hold her hands gently, speaking softly, "Katara… You want this war to end. You're angry, and hurt, and suffering because of these people. Don't you wanna do something about it? Bloodbending is that something. Control them, bend them to your will and make them regret ever messing with the Water Tribes"

Yes . She does, she wants to do something about it all . It's all she's been doing for months and look at the progress they've made: the Earth Kingdom has fallen, the Avatar- their last hope- was 'dead', and she can't think. She can't think, it's too much. Her mother was gone, her family was suffering because of this war, they grew up in a war torn village and it wasn't fair . It wasn't fair at all.

Katara just wants the pain to end. It hurts and she wants it to end- 

"KATARA!" 

____________________

Toph ran as fast as her legs could take her, leading the group through the dark forest in order to find Katara and Hama as quickly as possible. 

Why would Hama take her and her granddaughter out in the middle of a full moon when she knows there's a spirit that takes people during that time? Did she not know? No, she had too. What the fuck? Who cares about some Waterbending moves?! They could get hurt! 

She listened to the pants of her friends behind her and she could hear the sound of her own heavy breathing but she refused to stop. They needed to find Katara before it was too late. 

Then she picked up their bodies- the water in their bodies, their feet on the ground, the air bouncing off them with every movement. They were okay. They weren't taken by a Spirit and they were fine. This filled Toph with the energy to run faster, making a sharp turn in their direction which caused them all to groan and follow. 

After a while, she was able to hear a voice. 

"Katara… You want this war to end. You're angry, and hurt, and suffering because of these people. Don't you wanna do something about it? Bloodbending is that something. Control them, bend them to your will and make them regret ever messing with the Water Tribes"

It was Hama. What was she talking about? Bloodbending…? What does she mean 'control'? And who is she controlling? Is Bloodbending doing that, whatever that is? What was Hama teaching her? And...

Controlling…  Bending them to their will...

That sounds a lot like what that spirit is doing to the villagers, making their bodies move against their will, leading them into caves to never be seen again.

Holy shit. 

"KATARA!" 

Toph ran past the trees and to the Waterbender's side, the others following suit. The Earthbender raised a protective arm in front of Katara and faced the old lady. 

"Toph!?" Katara shouted as she whipped her head around to the others, "What're you guys doing here!?" 

Sokka came up to his sister, grabbing her arm, "It's not safe out here tonight!" He squealed, "Granny, we gotta get back to the inn!"

"There's a spirit out here who's taking control of the villagers during the full moon, we were scared you guys were next" Zuko explained 

Katara gasped, "What!?"

"No, it isn't a spirit!" Toph pointed a sharp, accusing finger at Hama, "It's you! You're the one doing it! You're controlling them with that Bloodbending thing I just heard and taking them to the mountain!" 

The kids gasped as an audible growl escaped Hama, "The Fire Nation threw me in prison to rot , along with all my brothers and sisters! They deserve to suffer the same way I did!"

Toph's brain was moving at 100 miles a second. Hama was captured by the Fire Nation and faced unimaginable conditions- is this how she escaped? With Bloodbending? How did it even work? 

Aang snarled, "So you admit it! That's terrible, what's wrong with you!?" 

Toph placed a hand on the boy's shoulder in an effort to calm him down. Hama was lashing out, she just wanted people to suffer the way she did and probably won't hesitate to do the same to them. 

This was a delicate situation, "Hama, those are civilians you took. They aren't the people who took you away and locked you up," She spoke calmly, "What happened to you was awful but they had nothing to do with- ACK!"

The Earthbender's speech was cut short due to a series of sharp daggers getting flung in her direction, to which she ducked just before they hit, they lodged into the thick tree bark behind her. Fuck-  

The old lady lunged forward with claws made of ice, slashing at the girl, who continued to step backwards out of her reach. 

Toph stomped on the floor, creating a large wall of Earth in front of her, she shouted, "I don't wanna fight you-!"

"RAAH!" Zuko charged forward with a mighty battle cry, sword in hand as he sliced the air in front of the lady, trying to cut her in half 

Hama was quick and procured more water out of thin air, ice encasing her arms as he landed a hit on her, it prevented his attack from landing barely any damage. She then jerked her arm upward, shoving him away.

"Granny, stop it! This is crazy!" Sokka yelled, catching Hama's wrist and pulling her back 

She snatched her hand away from her grandson's grasp, " Then don't get in my way"

Katara was shaking with anger as she created a ring of water, blasting it to her grandmother, who redirected the force back towards the girl, who was launched backwards as a result.

Suki slid underneath her legs and popped out from behind her, with clenched fists she threw punch after punch at the skilled Waterbender, who blocked, dodged and avoided every single one. Aang flung his boomerang at her, shattering the ice protecting her arms.  

Hama snarled again as three giant whips of water were formed out from behind her, grasping Suki and Aang by their legs and hurling them aside. 

They all stood up, bracing themselves for more attacking. Nononono! They shouldn't be fighting! Fighting makes things worse! She needs to stop this!

"Okay, we all need to calm down!" Toph shouted over the chaos and fury, lowering her rock wall but no one heard her 

Hama made circular movements with her arms, gathering the vapor and creating a large ball of water. She was staring daggers right into her soul, preparing to hit her with that. 

The old lady yanked her arms forward, shooting a heavy blast of a mix of ice and water right at the Avatar. 

Toph spun, the rush missing her by a hair as she took control of the attack, using the momentum against the Waterbender and sending the water right back at her. Hama gasped as she sent the fury of cold spiraling up into the sky. 

The others used her temporary shock as an opening and pounced only to-

Freeze .

Literally freeze, they were frozen in their stances, unable to move a single limb. 

"What the fuck!?" Suki screamed as Toph felt the racing hearts of all her friends, they pounded deafeningly in her ears, they had adrenaline, fear, and rage coursing through them as they struggled to move from their stiff bodies 

Is this Bloodbending? 

Is this what Hama meant by control? Literally controlling every muscle , every vein inside their bodies? Toph ceased her struggle, knowing it was futile, it was smarter to save the energy. 

The Earthbender felt both her feet lift up from off the ground and as she bit down a scream, she was slowly brought over to the Waterbender behind it all.

Hama's heart was angry, a slow beat that signaled pure rage- she was holding back a hurricane, " You… You're the Avatar, aren't you?"

She knew. Why was Toph so stupid!? Why did she bend the water!? She should have just let it hit her!

Okay, no time for regret. She needed to focus, breathe. 

Toph nodded, "I am. And… And I know how you feel about that- and you have every right to think that way, you were alone and scared and you didn't know if you were ever gonna escape," She began calmly, she tried not to concentrate on her friends' horrified hearts or Hama's deadly glare, "What you've gone through, it wasn't fair. It wasn't fair at all and you didn't deserve it"

The Avatar felt herself get pulled in even closer, "You're right, it wasn't fair. It's the Fire Nation's fault, it's your fault. Your past lives didn't help us when we needed you to! Why!? Why wouldn't they help? We were suffering, dying and you could've stopped it- could've prevented it!"

Avatar Gyatso had no idea how far the Fire Nation would take things. Avatar Kuruk helped in the way he thought would solve things. They both tried their hardest but it doesn't change the fact that people suffered because of their decisions. If they knew things would happen like this, they would have stopped the war a long time ago.

"I know, I'm sorry things turned out the way they did- the previous Avatars and me, we didn't want any of this to happen"

"But you did nothing! Not a single thing to stop what horrible things they did to us!" Hama screamed, "They treated us like animals! Locked us in cages, tied our hands so we couldn't bend, they broke us!"

Hama was the victim of a terrible war crime. She was suffering even years after escaping. The memories, the fight, it suffocated her so much that she couldn't breathe. She was hurt, she was traumatized and still so very scared .

"I'm sorry you're hurting so much, that you're in so much pain because of what others put you through, Hama. But you know that," Toph swallowed hard, "You know that hurting innocent people won't make up for your lost time. It won't bring back anyone, it's only gonna make you feel worse-"

BAM! 

Toph's body was jerked away from the woman, slamming into the trunk of a tree meters behind them. She groaned as she slid down it and her ears filled with the sounds of screaming and cursing from her teammates. 

Suddenly, she was lifted off the ground again, " SHUT UP! How can you ever understand what happened?! I needed to do what I had to to survive in that prison, just like I'm doing now in this village! It's what they deserve!"

Toph grunted at the throbbing ache in her back but knew she had had to keep speaking, "Not the innocent, the people who took you away deserve it but not them. All they did was be born in the Fire Nation. You can't take revenge on people who did nothing wrong to you in the first place"

Hama was quiet, her heart rate began to slow as her muscles untensed. They're getting somewhere now. 

"I-... I'm sorry no one helped you, I really am and I wanna help you. It doesn't need to end like this- you don't need to end like this," Toph spoke sincerely, "You've lost so many in your life but you still have people who care about you, you have Kanna and a son, a son who hasn't seen you since he was four. Don't lose them now, don't let this anger consume you," She felt the old lady's breath hitch at the mention of her family, "You have two people here right now who are part of that family and you have them stuck and frozen against their will… Don't let things end like this. We can stop, we don't have to fight... You can start over- you can heal, Hama. You don't need to just survive. But first..." 

Toph sighed, " You have to let us go"

….

It was silent for a couple moments, the woman was not only deciding their fate but her own as well. If she doesn't let them go, she could kill them now, get revenge on the Avatars and torture the rest of the village without worry. But if she does let them go… 

It meant starting over. It meant beginning to untangle herself from the knots of depression and fear that has held onto her so tightly all these years- that had been her only true constant, only true companion, these thoughts. 

Hama was a victim of war and deserved a redemption, she deserved to have a chance at life. She needed to live for all her dear fallen brethren and fight not for revenge, but for her family, for love, for hope .

Her wrist twitched and she felt the others' squeeze their eyes shut, awaiting their certain death but… 

It never came. 

The shaky sigh was their only warning before they were all lowered onto the grassy ground. 

"We're alive?" Aang moved his arms back and forth, making sure he was still in control, "Holy shit, we're alive!"

Toph listened to the others cheer with pure delight as the old lady approached her, "I don't wanna die like this- I don't wanna die upset and alone…"

"You're just scared, but you're not alone anymore. You have the support of all of us now" 

Hama didn't need to spend her days by herself, festering and building up that anger. She had and always will have people to depend on, she deserved that much after everything she has gone through. 

"I still feel so… angry" She whispered as her hands clenched 

The Avatar placed a comforting hand on her back, "This is the first step- knowing you did wrong, healing takes time. Your anger might always be there, just… less," She explained, "It'll get easier to manage with time, you just need to have patience"

The old lady hung her head low, " I'm so sorry…"

While Aang, Suki and Zuko chattered amongst themselves, checking for any serious injuries, Toph noticed that Sokka and Katara were standing off to the side, awfully quiet, "I'm not the one you should be apologizing to" 

Hama seemed to get the message before she nodded silently and made her way over to the two siblings. 

She bowed her head at them, "I'm so sorry for everything I put you through today- I was wrong to hurt you," She glanced at Katara, "And I was wrong to try and teach you Bloodbending without telling you first. You're the first family I've seen in a very long time, I don't want to lose either of you"

Her voice was racked in guilt and honesty, teetering on the verge of tears but she held them in. She was strong and will stay that way as she apologized, no need for them to forgive her out of pity. 

 

"What you did… it was really messed up, Granny. You hurt our friends and you've been hurting innocent people" Katara crossed her arms with a pained expression 

"I know, it was terrible of me to do that but I wanna change. I really want to change. I'm going to let go of all the people I've got trapped, I'm going to… heal . I want to be better" 

She wanted to heal and she was going to try her damn hardest to make it up to the grandkids she didn't even know existed until last night. She fucked up, she really, really fucked up and she had potentially ruined the only relationship she had to family in a long time. 

Sokka's voice cracked as he spoke, "It might take a while for us to trust you"

"I know but I'm willing to be patient, I'll wait as long as I must because I love you two very much and... I want to be in your lives. Not as the crazy Bloodbender, but as your Granny"

...

Sokka was the first to hug her. He wrapped his long, lanky arms around his grandmother with tears welling up in his eyes as he sniffled away his whimpers, burying his face in her white mass of hair. 

Hama was startled at first but quickly returned the hug, her hand patting his coarse hair that felt exactly how she remembered Kanna's feeling. 

Katara kept her arms crossed, not yet giving into the temptation just yet. It wasn't until Hama stared at her and raised an arm that wasn't completely pinned down by the boy out to her. 

The young Waterbender squeezed her eyes shut and rushed into the open, inviting hug, crying right with her grandma and brother. 

Notes:

HAMA!!!! Did I ever mention how much I LOVE her and how much I HATED the ending of that episode??? BECAUSE I DO!!!!

Hama was the victim of a literal WAR CRIME and they VILLAINIZED her for it. They threw her right back in a Fire Nation jail and made it a FUCKING HALLOWEEN SPECIAL!!!

I don't think I need to explain how FUCKED UP that is.

Hama, like all the other characters in this show, deserved to be treated with respect. Her history, her trauma, all of it, it was a serious topic and deserved respect. Not a way to show the 'oooo Bloodbending go brr'

So I sorta just,,, changed it. She was married to Kanna and the two had Hakoda together before Hama had gotten taken by the Fire Nation. She wanted to teach Katara Bloodbending not just as a way to get back and fight against the Fire Nation (though that was a huge part of it), but also because she cared for her. She didn't want the Fire Nation to EVER hurt someone she cared about in the way they hurt her.

It was wrong of her to try and force her to learn but it gave her better reasons than just being a Disney villain like how she was in the, again, HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed!!!

Chapter 7: The Invasion

Summary:

Today's finally the day of the invasion, the day Loser Lord Ozai goes DOWN!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The group had stayed at Hama's village for a total of four days: the first night being when they met her, the second was their battle against the old Waterbender, and the last two days were clean up- they freed Hama's victims from their cave prison and offered any kind of support that they possibly could for that painfully short span.

After their time was up, Hama had told the group right before they left that she would be moving to another Fire Nation village, that she had messed up too badly and needed to start over. She had told them that after the war was over, she'd migrate back to the South Pole. 

But now the group were at the Black Cliffs, having just arrived last night, they were behind schedule on account of their four day stay at Sokka and Katara's grandmother's. And it was morning now which meant...

It was the day of the invasion.  

And honestly, Toph was feeling good! Really good! 

Today was the day the war ended for good and she was more than prepared! She has the Avatar State mastered, she's the best damn Earthbender in the world and had trained as hard as she possibly could to gain control of the other three elements (one of which no one has fought against in about 100 years ).

She's got this, she will be able to take down the Fire Lord and end the Fire Nation's reign once and for all. After today, they could start making strides to change, people will finally become equal. 

No more Water Tribes living in fear of unpredictable attacks. 

No more Earthbenders getting sent to prison camps.

No more Airbenders hiding.

No more corrupting and brainwashing of the Fire Nation people. 

But there was one thing missing...

" Gooooood morning everyone!" Aang's cheerful voice cut through the groggy, half awake silence 

Sokka was sitting on the grassy ground, staring thoughtfully at a map and a dozen or so other sheets of paper, he waved absent-mindedly at the boy, "Yeah, hey Katara" 

Zuko was sitting right next to him, "It's Aang," He said before turning to the Airbender, "Morning, Aang" 

"I can't believe today's the invasion already" Katara exclaimed, beginning to roll up her sleeping sack 

Suki nodded, adding the finishing touches of her Kyoshi Warrior makeup with Momo on her shoulder, "I know. Is everyone ready to end this war?" 

Everyone had changed out of their Fire Nation disguises and into clothes from their respective nations the night before. 

"Well even if we weren't," The Firebender began, scooting closer to Sokka, "We don't really have anymore time" 

Katara squinted at him, "Must you rain on our good moods?" 

"What? It's true!" 

Toph wasn't speaking, sitting on a large rock nearby. She took off the metal band that was wrapped around her upper arm, as she held it tenderly, the metal twisted back into its original form- into her beloved headband. 

The Avatar's hair was longer than how it was when she first cut it, it's been growing out all this time and now it passed just below her shoulders. She tied her unruly hair back up in her familiar bun, holding it in place with her headband. 

Now she was ready. 

"Hey, your bun's back" Katara spoke, ambled over and leaned against the tall boulder Toph was sitting atop 

"Yep and it's here to stay for good," She grinned, "People are gonna find out I'm alive" 

Suki finished her makeup, "They're gonna find out more than you're just alive, you're gonna defeat the Fire Lord"

Toph nodded enthusiastically, "I'm gonna get my glow on and punch him right in his stupid, abusive face with some Avatar State action!" She leaped off the giant rock and landed on the ground in front of Wander, punching the air, "Then me and Wander are gonna bury him in mud!" 

….

Sokka shook his head, "I can't believe you managed to convince our crazy granny to stop kidnapping people" He said which caused Zuko to laugh a little too loudly 

" HEY! I didn't see you guys trying to talk her down!" She pointed a thumb to her chest, " I'M IMPRESSIVE!"

Sokka and Zuko snickered to each other before Aang stepped forward, looking over the cliffs and at the ocean, "Oh no guys, there's a thick fog. Will that mess up our invasion?" Well, that messes up the invasion for them but Toph can still get around perfectly fine, fog or not (not to brag but to totally brag) 

 "No, that is the invasion guys!" The Water Tribe boy stood up, skipping near the edge next to the Airbender, pointing ahead, "I hope Dad managed to get everyone"





The group quickly made their way down to the shore underneath the rocky cliff sides. Toph felt five giant ships of metal sail in closer to the coast. Stomping a heavy foot onto the ground, the Avatar used Earthbending to raise the rocks from beneath the water to form a makeshift dock for the boats to safely beach. 

In a matter of minutes all the boats had come to a stop, docking onto shore. Hakoda and Bato, who were steering the leading ship, were the first ones out. She felt Sokka and Katara rush up to the men excitedly.

"Dad! You made it!" Katara shouted as her and her brother grasped the men in a tight hug that was quickly returned 

Tearing his face from being buried in Bato's chest, Sokka looked up hopefully at them, "So much has happened since we left last month! We met Hama!" 

"Hama..?" Hakoda repeated, jogging his memory of the name before his face snapped into realization, "Wait- my Mom?"

They nodded eagerly as Katara spoke, "She's here in the Fire Nation! She escaped prison and was in hiding this whole time!"

"She's gonna come back to the Southern Water Tribe after the war ends- which is, you know, today!" 

It seemed they both silently decided to keep out the part where she created Bloodbending and tried to strike revenge on an entire village of Fire Nation civilians in a fit of traumatized rage and fear. But that's fair enough, Hakoda shouldn't have to hear, especially not right now when he had just discovered that his long lost mother was alive. 

"That's… great!" The man cheered happily, tears welling up in his eyes as he laughed, picking up- holy shit , he picked up both Sokka and Katara with ease, squeezing them tight as he continued his boisterous, overjoyed laugh, "When did you see her? Does she remember me? How does she look?" He asked a million questions a minute 

While that was happening, Aang and Appa were quick to run over to Teo and his father, Manchu. 

"You're here!" The Airbender shouted, enveloping the two in a big hug, "I missed you guys so much!" 

Teo cackled as Appa licked their faces excitedly and squeezed his brother back, "I missed you too, Aang! You gotta tell me about all the adventures you had!"

The three let go of each other, Manchu pet the turban on Aang's head, "I'm just glad you're okay, the Monks were so worried!" The man then kneeled down to whisper in the boy's ear, "No one's found out about… you know?"

"Huh- oh! Nope, all good here!" He shook his head 

Right, Manchu and the Monks were probably chewing their nails in worry over what big mouth Aang might accidentally spill. Well, he's been doing a really good job at keeping his lips sealed, she had to give him that. 

"Girls!" 

"Suki!" 

The 16 year old girl ran forward right into a group of teenage girls, all of them hugging and shouting. They held themselves in the same, confident way Suki always did so Toph guessed it was the Kyoshi Warriors. 

Suki didn't have any blood family, all the warriors she lead were the closest thing to such but it was nice, even in her single visit to Kyoshi Island (and being locked in a cage for 95% of it), it was obvious to tell that the large group of skilled fighters were extremely close knit. 

Princess Yue came up to the group of girls, grabbing Suki into a giant hug, "Suki, hello! I'm glad to see you! I missed you while on the ship!"

The warrior stared at her with large eyes, her pulse skyrocketing, "Oh- I uh… I missed you too, Yue!" She stammered and Toph still couldn't believe that Suki had a crush on the Princess- well, she could understand why, Yue's great but it really caught her off guard and only made her further realize how much she missed while in her coma 

"When this is all over, maybe you and I can do something together! Oh!" Yue gasped, jerking her head to her right, "Is that Sokka and Katara? I'll find you later, Suki! I have to go say hi!" 

And with that the northern princess was gone, leaving a bashful, red faced Suki standing dumbfounded in front of the smug looking Kyoshi Warriors.

"So… Yue huh-"

" BE QUIET!"

Zuko and Iroh make a slow stroll towards each other until they're standing directly over the other. They stay facing each other in a couple moments of silence...

Until crashing into each other in a bear hug, clutching each other firmly, "I'm so happy to see you, Uncle!" Zuko exclaimed before drearily adding as his grip grew tighter on the old man, "I'm so tired of dealing with these idiots alone ..."

"You are never truly alone when you're with friends, nephew" Iroh gave a hearty laugh as they separated 

Toph was happy that Zuko had Iroh, she could guess that he was the true constant in his life- proverbs and all. The man has always looked out for the young Firebender since the very beginning, even when he was still trying to kill her. Wherever Zuko went, Iroh did as well (well save that one time when they met Azula for the first time, he had said that Zuko had lost his way but they ended up finding each other again). 

She was glad that her friends all have their own families to fall back on after everything they've all been through, from the bloodthirsty Fire Nation soldiers to the near constant prospect of danger and death that seemed to follow them everywhere they went. And if she had to infer, it wasn't going to end anytime- 

The Earthbender's thoughts were abruptly cut short as she felt two large hands wrap under her arms and hoist her up into the air, " Toph!"  

Dad-pher was the one holding her up high in the air, she felt her other dads grinning, "Dads!" She shouted with joy 

"Hey, your bun's back!" Dad-po exclaimed as Dad-pher placed her back down, ruffling and messing up the hair she had just put up 

Wander cheerfully pressed his head against the men, greeting them all happily as they laughed.

"I can't believe this is it!" Fire Dad said, "The war ends today!"

"I know. It feels like just yesterday you were kicking Earth Rumble butt as the Blind Bandit! And now look at you, you're kicking Fire Nation butt as the Avatar!" Bol-dad whimpered, wiping an exaggerated tear, "I'm so proud"

"I know, I am pretty amazing" Toph shrugged with a loud, prideful laugh. She felt Sokka come up to her, silently resting a hand on her shoulder, "But we can talk about that later, we're gonna go over the plan one more time" 

In a matter of minutes, the entire force was sitting down, facing with attention and murmured conversations in front of a large, stone podium. Sokka was standing off to the side of it with the rest of their friends. 

He was nervous, if his racing heart and constant fidgeting was any indication. He was going to deliver his speech about the plan, it was only fair that he would be the one to do it since he had created a good portion of it- none of this would even be happening if it wasn't for him, Toph had to give him credit. 

But he was anxious, speaking was never his strong suit. Always settling on being the witty and intelligent one while allowing the others to do the talking. 

Toph placed a firm hand on his shoulder and he turned to look down at her, sweating. She grinned and gave him a thumbs up, "Don't worry, you're gonna do great"

"We're all rooting for you, Sokka!" Aang smiled 

"I heard imagining the audience naked helps," Zuko said, "Though, I think that only applies to theater"

Suki laughed, "Alright, you need to stop with the theater talk"

"I was only trying to help! How should I know if it works for public speaking and not just acting!?"

"I mean, they're different things. And if you didn't know, why would you say it-"

"Be quiet for a second!" Katara hissed before she smiled warmly at her brother, "Sokka, you're gonna be great and I'm so proud of you. Just get up there and talk smart like you always do"

He stared at her for a moment before nodding, walking on the stage with a worrying trip, nearly dropping the bundles of papers and scrolls in his hands. 

"Uh, morning everyone! Uh… so, as you know, today is the invasion!... Or, you know that already- because then you wouldn't be here then!" He laughed nervously before unraveling one of the scrolls on a rock board, "So the Fire Man‐ I uh! I mean, the uh the Fire Lord's palace is here!" He pointed to a spot on the paper, "And there's um, there's an eclipse today and the Firebenders aren't gonna have any fire so that's good!" He stopped, standing straight up with eyes darting around the audience before landing to the side of the stage, where Toph and the others were, "And um… I.." 

Toph felt a pang of immense pity. She smiled at him, nodding along. Aang gave a thumbs up and leaned onto the Earthbender's back. Zuko, Katara, and Suki were silently cheering him on as well. It wasn't until she felt his heart skip a beat as he gulped hardly, shaking his head at them frantically. 

He doesn't feel he could do this. He's terrified of public speaking, he's fought dozens of skilled Firebenders before but can't talk in front of an audience. Oh no. 

Katara stepped onto the stage, quick to come to the help of her brother in need, "Alright!" She shouted, coming next to Sokka, "So like Sokka was saying, today's the eclipse, or The Day of Black Sun!"

"Come on!" Aang whispered to the others, grabbing Zuko's hand and bringing them along next to the siblings, his voice was a little too loud, "And thanks for everyone coming here and fighting! This is gonna take a lot of strength and courage from all of you!"

"But I know you all do it! You're some of the strongest people I've ever met- the best of the best! And I can't think of a better team of fighters to fight by our side against the Fire Nation than you all!" Toph added 

"If anyone can do this, it's you guys" Zuko spoke 

"Now…" Suki smiled, grabbing hold of Sokka's hand as a comfort, "How many steps were there in the invasion again, Sokka? I don't think I remember"

The 15 year old's heart began to slow, gaining back a shred of confidence and nodding in a way that showed his deep appreciation for his friends' save, " Two!" He shouted, "Two steps: a naval stage and a land stage. After we start sailing to the Capital, our first obstacle is right..." He let go of the Kyoshi Warrior's hand, jumping back over to the mapped stone, " Here! The Great Gates of Azulon. After we get past it, we hit land- and we hit hard. We have to fight past their battlements and secure the plaza tower. Once we do that, it's up to the Royal Palace. And at that point, the eclipse will begin"

"But I thought the entire point of this was to invade during the eclipse? When the Firebenders are powerless?" Haru asked from the crowd, sitting next to his father and many other Earthbenders 

Sokka shook his head, "The actual eclipse only lasts eight minutes. Since the Royal Palace is heavily guarded by Firebenders, we need to use that time for when we get there. By the end of today, Avatar Toph will have defeated the Fire Lord," He grinned wildly, punching a fist up into the air, "We'll have control over the Capital, and this war'll be over!" 

The booming cheers from the crowd blared in their ears at Sokka's great speech, he was smiling greatly as the rest led him off the platform. The second their feet landed on the grassy ground, the boy hunched over, holding his knees and inhaling deeply. 

"You did great, Sokka!" Suki patted him on the back 

Zuko nodded, "We're all proud of you. You really inspired them"

"Like a true leader!" Aang beamed, wrapping his arms around Sokka's waist

Toph laughed, shrugged as she copied the Airbender, hugging Sokka as well on his other side, " Avatar Toph is very proud- by the way, you should call me that more often"

He sighed heavily, "I think that was harder than the actual invasion will ever be..."  

"Are you sweating?" Katara asked, slightly disgusted 





The four large ships sailed across the vast sea, they've been traveling for about two or three hours now and Toph was laying flat on her back, her sightless eyes staring up at the blue sky as she groaned again for the fifth time that hour. 

Wander was by her side, laying down to comfort her. He and Appa had on iron plates armor, personally designed by Sokka, apparently being a Jack of all traits in his abilities of invention, designing and very unfunny but funny jokes. 

"Toph, stop being dramatic. Sea sickness can't be that bad, get up" Sokka said, with his hands on his hips 

Oh and also, fuck motion sickness.

" You try and get on something that you can't see moving and tell me how you…" The ship bobbed up again causing her to gag, another groan emitted from her. Wander rubbed his head against her cheek

Suki crouched down and poked her other cheek with her finger, chewing her lip to stifle her laughter, "Maybe if you sat up you'd feel better?"

Toph meekly pushed her hand away and rolled, "Leave me alllooooone"

It wasn't  that she couldn't  see on the boat, she could . The metal of the ship, the water in everyone's bodies, the way the air moves around them, she can see and feel it all . But it still sucked, all her senses doing little to nothing in aiding her motion sickness on this terrible, terrible rocking boat. 

She was teetering on the edge of just jumping overboard and burrowing all the way there just to get off this monster.

"I can't believe she's fighting the Fire Lord in a little bit" Zuko walked up to them, shaking his head 

Iroh was by the boy's side, "I'm very sorry Toph, I wish I could give you some ginger tea to help ease your sickness but I'm afraid I only have jasmine" 

"I'm too sick to drink anything- don't worry about it, Iroh..." The Avatar gagged out 

Toph was vaguely aware of Katara and a bunch of other Waterbenders from the Northern Water Tribe Waterbending around them, scattered across all four ships, waving their arms and swaying their bodies in a way that if she focused on it for too long, she'll only wind up making herself even more sick. 

They were using the water from the ocean to create a large cover of fog so no Fire Nation could see their ships passing through the water. 

"There they are, the Great Gates of Azulon" Bato had said, looking through a telescope 

A couple miles forward stood a large statue of a man (who was Azulon, she guessed) on either side of him were two dragons facing him. Where were the ' great gates?'

The fog became thicker as the boat sped up in a matter of minutes, they were near passing the statue when she heard gasps from all around followed by-

RRRRRRRRIIINNNNG!

A blaring ring that filled the air…  

"Is that a net- is it on fucking fire!?" She heard Katara squeal from the front of the ship

A net had been pulled up out of the mouth of the dragon, stretching across over the tall statue, it ignited and engulfed the gate on fire. Oh… Gates of Azulon. The Firebender… Fire gates. That makes sense and honestly, they should've seen it coming.  

Fire Nation boats that were slightly smaller than their large ships began racing towards them. They saw them, fuck.  

"EVERYONE BELOW DECK! TO THE SUBMARINES!" Hakoda shouted 

Sokka had come up with the idea of ' submarines' , it's another way of sea travel, but instead of sailing across the ocean, you are submerged under the water. So it's basically a boat but 1,000,000 times worse.

And she was dreading the entire thing. 

Aang tugged her up to standing, pulling her along by her hands, "Come on, Toph! You can throw up more when we're in the subs!"

" Just kill me nooooow" She whined 

Toph felt Wander leap off the edge of the boat and right into the water. Over the course of this month, Toph was teaching the badgermole Metalbending. He had gotten quite good- good enough to sense metal as well as her so he was going to tunnel underneath the ocean floor, following the submarines as they traveled. 

So that meant he wouldn't need to deal with that underwater hell. Why couldn't she go with him?! Toph reached her hand out for him as he left, "Take me with you!"

____________________

After their submerge underwater, the Waterbenders propelled the submarines forward, speeding across the ocean like jets. Katara was outside the machines, sitting on Appa and pushing him forward with a giant sphere of open air surrounding them, shoving all the water out so they could breathe. 

Alright, so far so good. The plan was going smoothly, no bumps yet. Sokka and Dad had predicted that the Fire Nation would spot them before they passed the Gates of Azulon, that's why they brought the submarines in the first place. 

Now all they needed to do was get to the Fire Nation Capital in order to reach the palace where the Fire Lord resides. But first they need to get through the Royal Plaza.

Half an hour later, the subs reached the shore and everyone began to exit out in a hastily yet orderly fashion, trying to get onto land before the Fire Nation guards took notice of their presence. 

Katara had dismounted the heavily armoured Appa once they reached the cemented ground of the Plaza. It was a long forum that stretched miles, on either sides of it were tall, near impeachable walls. It reminded her of a hallway. Well, if a hallway had no ceiling and was made out of stone and was located on a harbor and- You get the point. 

Okay, this was it. This is when the invasion will start. All she needs to do is wait until everyone is out the subs so they could charge in and strike revenge on the rotten Firebenders that caused the entire world so much pain, suffering, and grief. 

The Waterbender watched as her friends emerged out from the ocean, Toph being the first one out. She climbed out the submarine eagerly, falling face first on the hard, cemented ground as she mumbled things like 'never getting on that monster again' and 'they're gonna have to kill me to make me get back on that'. Aang, Sokka, Suki, and Zuko came out shortly after. 

"Alright! Plan time, Toph -get off the ground- you're going before all of us in the Avatar State. It'll let the Fire Nation know we mean business and you're gonna wreck as much as you can," He explained as the small group nodded along, "Next will be the Earthbenders: they're using the Earth Kingdom tanks and are going before the Waterbenders, who'll follow after and attack the rest they miss"

But they need to wait right now, because the second they start charging, the Fire Nation will not hold back so they all need to be ready.

"What about the Nonbenders, Sokka?" Aang asked 

"Good question. The Nonbenders are…"

Sokka's words droned on as Katara's eyes drifted to Toph, who was now standing up off the floor- she seemed to recover well from her sickness as she was no longer as green as grass. She thought back to their promise: 

'Stay by my side and I'll stay by yours.' 

Katara was prepared to make sure they kept it.

The Avatar must have noticed the attention on her because she came over to the Waterbender, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. 

"How're you feeling?" Katara asked low enough so the only one close enough to hear her was Toph 

The short girl shrugged in response, "Well seeing as I was just barfing my brains out for three hours straight, pretty hungry actually," She joked before her tone turned more serious, "But really, a little… I dunno, shocked. This is it"

"Yeah, it's weird," She nodded, grabbing the girl's small hands and giving them a hard squeeze, stepping closer, "I hope you remember our promise because I certainly do" 

"Of course. When I'm done, I'll find you as soon as I can"

Those words didn't soothe her worries. In fact, they made everything much worse. It only reminded her that where Toph was going, she was unable to follow. Toph had to get past the Plaza and to the palace to fight the Fire Lord, Katara would not be able to go there with her. 

It was scary. Anything could happen to the Earthbender. What if Azula was there? Or if they're a little behind on time and Fire Lord Ozai gets his bending back before she could properly defeat him? What if Toph leaves and never comes back, that this is their last conversation ever? 

Toph seemed to catch that her words didn't help (sometimes it was helpful having a girlfriend who could literally read your heart). The Avatar gave her a reassuring smile and raised their hands up and gave them a swing, "Come on, nothing's happening to me. I can't die, remember?" 

"I know, I know… I'm just worried" 

"You sound a little more than worried , Waterbug," She pointed out and Katara silently agreed, "Look, I'm gonna be back when the eclipse ends and you can count on that. The second you see even the tiniest flame from one of these hotheads, I'm gonna be by your side. If I'm not, I give you permission to kill me yourself"

Katara chuckled, "Don't make a promise like that, I will actually kill you if you don't" 

"And I know that! That'll scare me into getting this done quick!-"

"TOPH! WE'RE ALL READY! GO ON!" Called Suki from the sidelines

Katara tilted her head past the Earthbender only to see that the entire invasion team was out of the submarines now, clumping around the stone shoreline. Her heart sank.

It was time. 

It was time and there was nothing she could do to stop it now. Her face was racked with frantic grief and fear, jerking her head back to Toph, who was smiling back at her contently as if unaware or rather accepted the fact that she could very well die today. 

"I have to go but I'll still be in the plaza for most of it, don't worry," She reassured her before turning back to the group, " LET'S DO THIS! I'M READY!"

Toph let go of Katara's hands and ran past her, she turned on her heel to watch the girl go. 

Katara wished she had stayed a little longer. She wanted to hold her hands again, or grab her dumb face, or hug her so tight that she couldn't breathe, or something. But she couldn't do any of that. Because Toph was gone and wasn't coming back anytime-

Wait, that the fuck? 

Toph made a sharp U-turn and darted back towards the Waterbender, "Quit worrying! And I almost forgot!" She shouted as she fisted a strong hand around the collar of Katara's shirt, yanking her down to her level and pressing a quick but firm kiss on the Water Tribe girl's cheek 

BOOM! 

"RAAAAAAAAAHHH!"

It seemed they've now been spotted. Hundreds of Fire Nation soldiers began charging down the plaza, hands ignited and unleashing thundering battle cries out from their throats as they stampeded through. 

Fireballs began getting through, targeting the solid Earth Kingdom tanks that were able to withstand the hit. 

Toph's grip on her shirt loosened as Katara held the spot on her cheek where her girlfriend had kissed, "Okay now I need to go, for real this time" 

With a large grin spread across her features, the Earthbender sprinted off in the opposite direction once again, storming at the charging benders. As her eyes began to flash and radiate a consistent glow, she leaped into the air, taking out a dozen soldiers with a single, powerful gust of air. 

Toph had entered the Avatar State and she wasn't going down anytime soon. 

Toph laid the first blow, now it was everyone else's turn. The tanks were the first to go out- just like Sokka ordered. They plowed forward, hurling rocks and protecting their side with their hard shelf-life covering. 

Wander had even joined with the Earthbenders, creating wall after wall of stone, raising it as shields and coverage in case of emergency. He then rushed forward into battle heroically, launching boulders and chunks of platforms at the enemies.

Katara went with the Waterbenders, calling upon water out from the vapor in the air- a skill she learned from Granny which is proving to be very helpful- she charged forward, slashing at soldier after soldier with her powerful attacks of ice and water.

Freezing her hands into ice gauntlets, Katara flung her fists forward into a female Firebender, who fell onto the ground from the impact. Using the momentum, Katara turned on her heel, hearing another coming up from behind her (Firebenders are so loud).

Throwing her fist again- this soldier caught it and began heating it up, threatening to melt the ice but she jerked back, using the vapor to create a water whip and wrapping it around the man's leg, to which it flung him back and into a wall. 

Sokka and Zuko fought back to back, each using their sword as they fended off any man or woman that even dared to step close to them. They lashed at the air, slicing through the hard armor of the Firebenders with their sharp blades. 

A wave of fire was torpedoed towards Sokka, who yelped and flipped him and Zuko's position. Zuko brought his sword up and slashed at the blast, shooting his own fireball with his free hand. 

Aang was soaring high above on Appa, flinging his boomerang and rendering unconscious as many soldiers as possible at a time. At one point, they had flown close to the ground and Aang held out the blunt of his weapon, bonking about eight straight Firebenders to the ground in a row. 

Suki was fighting alongside the Kyoshi Warriors, they work good separately but even better together. They overwhelmed their opponents in numbers, deflecting the flames launched with their thick forearm coverings only to surge forward in mighty piercings.  

A Firebender managed to shoot the fan right out of Suki's hand, she shook off the burn and jumped right into hand to hand combat, digging a closed fist in their torso before bashing her hand right on the backside of their head.  

Through the chaos and garbled, Katara could see Toph far ahead from the rest. She could see her hands moving at lightning fast speed as she bended the four elements to her will. She swatted, Earth shooting from the ground and trapping nearly 20 guards. Jerking around, the Avatar sent forth a large arc of fire with a series of sweeping leg kicks and Katara managed to catch a glimpse at her glowing eyes once again. 

Toph lunged forward and a powerful burst of air shot through the middle of the forum, shoving every single Firebender in front of her that wasn't frozen or stuck to the ground backwards, slamming into the walls that stood tall on either side of the long plaza. 

The guards began to slowly retreat, pushing past the winding passage ways located on either side outside the plaza, tanks following suit. 

From behind her, Katara heard the voice of Bato, " THE FIRE NATION IS FALLING BACK!" He shouted through the noise 

" We're on our way to victory!" Aang called from high above 

Holy shit, were they actually… Winning? Well of course they were, this was Sokka's plan after all but holy fucking shit , they were winning! They will actually be able to conquer the Capital, this is the end of the war! And they were all alright still! Katara could hardly believe it! 

This only further fueled her fire, her fighting increased by tenfold as she chased the scurrying Firebenders. She managed to catch a couple of them with a dozen liquid tentacle arms, casting them back and allowing Earthbenders to encase them to the ground. 

Toph propelled herself forward using Airbending until she stopped abruptly at the large, red doors that led inside to the Capital of the Fire Nation. But instead of going in… 

She stopped.

What happened? What was wrong? The eclipse will be beginning soon, what was she waiting for!? 

The Earthbender fell out of the Avatar State and turned back to the invasion behind her, what was she doing? 

"HEY! THE CAPITAL!" She shouted, bouncing high into the air and spraying a thick, hot stream of fire down at the enemies from above, " IT'S EMPTY!" She landed onto the ground with a stomp before leaping back up again, making her way back towards the mass 

Katara stopped and nearly would have had a face full of burns if it wasn't for Aang flinging a boomerang right into the head of a Firebender that nearly attacked her. But she barely reacted.

It's... empty? How? Why? 

By the time Toph reached them, most of the Firebenders had already run off because of the overwhelming strength but everyone knew this peace wouldn't last long, they'll be back. 

Many of the invasion team went after those running benders, leaving only a select few left at the plaza. But they didn't focus on preparing for the next wave, everyone was stunned by the Avatar's words. 

"What do you mean it's empty!?" Zuko screeched, incredibly confused

Jet stepped in front of him, "Where's the Fire Lord?" The others began bombarding the 12 year old with a million questions before she was finally able to cut through the dozens of voices 

"No one was at the palace, the entire Capital's empty! I felt it with my own two feet!"

"But how!?" Suki exclaimed as Aang jumped off his bison 

How is a good question. How did the entire Fire Nation Capital, filled with well over 100,000 people and the royal family manage to evacuate in the time they reached the shore to right now? It just wasn't possible!

It was silent for a moment before a single gasp had cut through it. Sokka whispered softly, " They knew. I dunno how but they knew..."

They knew? How in the world did they figure it out? Did they find out about the eclipse and assumed that they might strike an invasion? But the only way they could have found out was through Wong Shi Tong, and he sunk his library after they went because they made him distrust humanity. 

What now? What was there to do? The Fire Lord is gone, there's no use in fighting here and getting hurt if they can't end the war. This was all a waste, they failed. 

"Is it… over?" Aang asked lowly, "There's no way the Fire Lord would wanna stick around here if he knows we're after him. He's probably on some island in the middle of nowhere by now"

Sokka began pacing back and forth, his hand scratching his chin, "No. There's no way he'd do that. He needs to stay safe but he has a nation to led, he's gotta be close and my guess is in a secret bunker," He pulled out a small device, "Manchu gave me this to time when the eclipse is coming, looks like we got about 15 minutes- 15 minutes to find the Fire Lord and take him down"

"15 minutes? I can track and beat him in ten!" Toph grinned, punching her left hand into her right, she started to run off

"Toph, wait!" Katara placed a hand on her shoulder, preventing her from going any further, "I'm coming with, we're staying by each other's sides, remember?" 

"Okay but-"

"This is a secret underground bunker which sounds way more dangerous than a fancy palace, I'm coming" She spoke firmly and tried to force her heart to give stronger beats, letting her girlfriend know she is not changing her mind about this anytime soon

Toph sighed and nodded and Sokka stepped forward as well, "I'm coming too, I have the timer and you might need more backup in case of anything" 

The Avatar nodded again, "Alright, everyone else keep fighting," She pointed strongly at the group that was left, "I'm counting on you to keep things afloat while we're underground! Come on, guys!" 

Toph lifted both Sokka and Katara over her shoulders and sprinted down the long forum, using Airbending to give her extra speed. 

Notes:

Oh no, what an unforeseen turn of events that I bet none of you saw coming

Yeah, I know. No difference from canon. BUT THERE IS ONE, I SWEAR!!!! Get ready for a BIG surprise next week!! I hope you enjoyed and again, thank you for reading!!!

Chapter 8: Heat Circulation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After finding out that the entire Fire Nation Capital was totally abandoned, Toph, Katara, and Sokka quickly made their way to the Caldera Volcano, the tiny Avatar holding both siblings and using Airbending to make a mad dash for the natural foundation. 

Katara was only freaking out just a little bit- but she worked well enough under pressure so it could be worse. Because how in the world did they find out about their plans?! It just doesn't make any sense and she simply couldn't wrap her head around it. But if she knew Sokka, she knows that that genius will figure it out in no time. 

The others still believed they have a chance- a chance at winning this invasion- a chance at ending this war. Though Katara truly felt the opposite, they should just count their blessings now and leave before things get even worse but she couldn't help but become inspired by their passionate attitudes. Their belief, their hope that they can do this- that they will do this.

They had to find the Fire Lord in time; there was no discussion there. They have to because if they don't , this would have all been for naught. They put themselves in danger, on the front lines, risked the lives of both themselves and their loved ones for nothing

In minutes, they reached the dormant volcano and the Waterbender's nerves were set on edge as she was gently placed back onto solid, ashy ground. She and Sokka huddled around Toph as she kneeled down, placing a flat hand on the ground.

"You got anything there?" Sokka asked after a good moment of silence 

Please, please let there be something there. They wouldn't know what to do if there was nothing, where would they go? Who would they fight? Where would the Fire Lord be if not here?

"Yeah, I feel a ton of tunnels all over the place. It's like a maze down there," Toph said after a brief pause and Katara let out a breath she had no idea she was holding, the Avatar's hands dug deeper into the rock, "There's something big made of metal deep in the volcano. I think you're right, Sokka," She removed her hands from the ground and sat up on her knees, "It's probably a secret bunker"

"What're you waiting for? Let's go!" Katara spoke just a little too eager 

The girl nodded, standing up and bringing her arms close to her chest, jerking them away and stomping a heavy foot on the ground in one motion. 

In an instant, a large, diagonal tunnel was created. Toph shot them a grin before going through the hole, the two followed. 

The way down to the true tunnels was hasty and dark. Toph had lit her hand aflame in order for Katara and Sokka to see at least a little as they went downward. 

Katara noticed immediately that the further they went, the hotter it got. Well, they were in a volcano after all, there was most likely molten lava flowing just behind the stone walls. One wrong Earthbending move and they are all fried. 

That thought did absolutely nothing to comfort her. 

She could feel the radiating heat burning off the ground and wondered how the hell was Toph able to walk on the stone barefoot. 

She pondered over the status of the others on the surface. So far, they had been winning, holding their own strongly against the Fire Nation and she was hopeful . But now… The Capital was empty and the Fire Lord was in a volcano . She wasn't so sure of their chances now and every step filled her with more doubt and anxiety. 

Yet they continued to follow Toph down one tunnel before she stopped short, shaking her head and turning back around. The mix ups happened at least five times until Sokka said something about it.

"Toph? What's wrong? We really don't have time for your messed up sense of direction" He said a little harsher than intended, he was stressed, they all were

The small girl hummed in frustration as they kept walking, "The heat, it's messing with my senses. There's too much lava"

"What? Are you serious?" Katara said, they're on a time limit here, they can't afford to lose now! "What are we gonna do? The Fire Lord could be anywhere!" 

The three stood in silence for a couple scarce seconds, they were right in the middle of a four way fork in the tunnels, each leading and spiralling in a different direction.

That familiar anxiousness creeped up her being, digging its sharp nails in her skin and cold hands wrapping around her spine. What were they going to do? 

The eclipse is in who knows how long and they have no idea where he is! She saw the volcano when they were rushing up it, it's huge! Without any of Toph's elemental senses working properly because of the temperature, how are they going to find him? There has to be a way!

An anxious huff escaped from her brother's mouth, "I think… As much as I hate to say this, we need to split up"

The Waterbender whipped her head towards him, "What?! No! We can't split up! Sokka, we're in a fucking volcano!"  

Is he insane?! Splitting up is certain suicide! She can't leave them and they can't leave her, they've gotten this far miraculously without dying all these months together but those cards are bound to fall someday and that may be today!

She said she wanted a quicker way but not like this! Never like this!

"We only have 10 minutes till the eclipse!"

"Katara, this is the only way if we even want a chance of finding him," Toph was agreeing with Sokka? Her voice was filled with painful desperation, "We need to take it"

It made sense, it really, truly did but she just couldn't , she shook her head, "No. We can't- we won't! I'm not losing you- either of you!"

" Katara… " Sokka said lowly

Toph grabbed her hands, "No one's losing anyone. We're all gonna be fine, I promise you. Please… just trust me" Her large eyes, eyes that have gotten them in so much trouble, were overwhelmed with an persistent boldness

There was no time for arguing, as much as she hated to say it. They couldn't argue and find the Fire Lord at the same time even if she so dearly wished to. 

Ten minutes, it's all the time they had. Will it be long enough? To find the Fire Lord and then the others? The little voice in the back of Katara's mind told her no, of course not. That she was foolish for even entertaining the thought. But another voice that was higher in pitch and much, much louder screamed at her. Of course they could do it! They've dealt with so much before, why was this any different? 

Katara had many answers as to why it was different but dared not to think too much of them in fear of believing them herself. She can't think like that. 

She had to be strong, they had a war to win and a Fire Lord to find.

With a heavy sigh the 14 year old gave a nod, dropping her hands away from Toph's.

"Alright. Katara, go that way. Toph, head to the left tunnel and I'll go down this one! Let's hurry up!"

____________________

Sokka, Katara and Toph had left a couple minutes ago when the first wave of battle had begun to come to an end. After they left, Suki and the others had charged down the long agora of the Royal Plaza, barging through the large, red doors and into the Fire Nation Capital. The civilians may not be here but the nation's army was bound to be. 

And they were right. Hundreds of Firebenders that were protected in hard, restrictive armor bombarded them, relying heavily on their bending verses on weapons or bare combat- they will have the advantage soon. 

Suki strayed from the Kyoshi Warriors, they work best in groups but she is the leader, she must set a strong example. Plowing on, she pushed past her allies and cuffed towards the soldiers.

With a swift jab, she punctured through the chest plate of a Firebender with the blunt of her fan. He snarled and belted two hands towards her face, sending a wave of short ranged fire right at her. She crouched, just sindging the strands of hair on her head. Still in a half kneel, Suki swiped at the man's legs, causing him to topple over.

An Earth Kingdom tank rolled over, encasing the fallen man in solid rock and she shot the machine a thumbs up, unaware if they were able to see it. The tank paused and Teo's dad popped out.

" THE ECLIPSE WILL BE STARTING IN TEN MINUTES EVERYONE!" His voice cut through the mayhem 

Ten minutes. If everyone can just hold out for ten minutes , they will still have a chance to capture the Capital. She prayed that the others would be able to find the Fire Lord in time, not even wanting to think about what might come of the world if they miss their chance today.

Suki has hope that they will find him. Sokka is a genius and always is sure of his plans so along with Toph's seismic sense and Katara's confidence, they could accomplish anything as long as they don't lose that. 

Two more benders charged up to her, each taking her left and right. With a fiery fist, the woman on the right swooped a hit, to which she ducked skillfully, sticking her square in the ribs. 

She stayed on the ground as she fought the man on her left, she tried to kick her. The teenage girl caught his foot and twisted it, making him lose his balance and collapse to the floor as well.

Several more sets of soldiers tackled her but she handled it with near practiced grace. Her years of training and protection for Omashu were paying off and showing it's true potential on the battlefield. While throwing punch after punch and stab after stab, she tried to ignore the stinging burns on her scarred skin. Those didn't matter, they didn't keep her down and could always be healed. 

The Kyoshi Warriors were created to defend their island but to also defend their homeland: the Earth Kingdom. That was knowledge near lost to Suki, spending her entire life on Kyoshi Island, training and fighting to protect that and that alone. But there was so much more . They shouldn't have spent the last 100 years staying out of the conflict, their home was created by the Avatar- it was only right they helped the current fight in it.

But they didn't, now they must try harder than ever to make up for it. Ending conflicts, fighting for the right thing, helping the Avatar, these were their purposes. These were the things that they should have learned a very long time ago. As the leader of these elite warriors, Suki will make sure each and every one of her girls know this. 

In the midst of her thoughts, Suki defeated the Firebenders thrown her way and took notice of Zuko struggling to fend off six or seven soldiers, all of them bombarding the 16 year old in overwhelming attacks and flushes of Fire and heat. 

"Need help!" She shouted, rushing to his side and pressing her back against his

His sword was lit in a blazing flame, slicing at the benders surrounding with a hot blade, "What do you think?" 

Suki took on three of the seven while the boy attacked the other four left. The Kyoshi Warrior cut at the face of a soldier, who threw a punch forward to which she reeled back quickly, the fist slamming right into the nose of another Firebender, who screamed in pain. Ouch, that's gonna be broken.

She could hear Aang on Appa flying overhead, his boomerang flung down and circled around herself and Zuko, making hard collisions with soldier after soldier surrounding them only to circle back into the boy's hands. Fuck is he good at that. 

Without facing the boy behind her, she readied her stance, prepared for more fighters, "When the eclipse starts, just stick to me. I'll make sure you won't get hurt"

A scoff escaped his mouth and a shing of his blade, "As if no bending's ever stopped me before"

Sokka had told her casually once that Zuko was a late bloomer, no one in his family believed he was a Firebender. It made sense as to why he knew the sword and why none of these soldiers did. The Fire Nation's lack of weaponship will only become hers and everyone else's advantages once the eclipse starts. Maybe Fire Lord Ozai doesn't either, that would certainly make Toph's job even easier. 

From miles in front of her, Suki spotted that bleeding pink and shine in a sea of red and fire and she knew exactly who that was. 

It was those girls that were always with Azula! 

But where was she? 

In an instant, the shorter and much peppier one flipped weightlessly on the head of soldiers before landing in front of a random Northern Water Tribe Waterbender, she pressed her index and middle fingers together on each hand and jabbed them against certain points on the man's body, he collapsed to the floor.

Her eyes widened, Suki knew those moves. She hit at all the right points, she's read about it before. 

She blocked that guy's chi. Oh fuck.

The dreary knife girl flung a wave of daggers forward, catching Smellerbee and Haru by their shirts, just nearly grazing their throats. She had an aim that could rival Aang's. 

None of these hotheaded, idiotic Firebenders were a challenge but those girls? 

They might be a little more difficult to take down... 

____________________

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck-

Toph has been speeding through the winding tunnels with Airbending, creating a trail of smoke and dust as she ran. She frantically searched for any footstep, body of water, or air vibration as best as she possibly could with this intense temperature. But it was hard and she had to forcibly strain herself to get even a semi-clear read on anything. 

Having no true idea of how much time has passed, the Avatar kept her left hand constantly inflamed at all times during her sprint. It was like a makeshift timer, when her fire burns out and she is unable to make more, she will know for a fact that the eclipse has started.

All she needs to do is locate the Fire Lord now. Once she does that, she'll beat the crap out of him and then find Sokka and Katara as fast as she could, they will be able to successfully declare this war over and even better, not have to worry about this anymore. All this Avatar crap is starting to give her a headache. 

And who the hell even puts a secret base in a dumb volcano anyway!? Couldn't this thing explode or something!? This needs to be fast and require (she can't believe she is about to say this) as little Earthbending as possible. 

With no water anywhere and not having fire when the eclipse starts, Air will be her only hope at defeating him. But she will need to be careful.  

Toph was willing to die for her friends but she knew that couldn't happen however. If she dies, the next Avatar will be born into the Fire Nation, and they cannot have that. 

After racing around for a minute or two more, Toph dug her heels into the burning ground that threatened to blister and tear her feet with its hotness. She stopped short and paused, straining her senses for something. She swore she had felt people. 

It was quiet for a moment before she felt it. People. Two people. One was a man who she had never met before and the other- the other was Azula! But who was she with? The Fire Lord? Her father?

They were located down the tunnel and in an effort to avoid creating too much noise, Toph leaped into the air, creating an air scooter and zooming down the end of the mine. 

Reaching the end, she stood outside doors that were far too big that made her feel far too small. The Avatar stayed outside, dissipating her air ball and planting her feet firmly on the ground. 

The doors were open just a creak, allowing her to quietly listen along to the loud exchange inside while her left hand still burned with fire (there was still time).

The man was sitting on a throne made of gold and silver, "The Avatar- she's alive" Toph unconsciously stood up straighter 

"I-... I know, Father," Azula hesitated before speaking, which was a first. So this was the Fire Lord, "But I was under the assumption that I had killed her back in Omashu! It was probably that Waterbending peasant who healed her-!"

" Silence," Fire Lord Ozai raised a hand, signaling his daughter to be quiet, she obeyed, "I do not wish to hear the poor excuses of your failures, of how Princess Azula could not defeat a simple, blind child"

But Azula was a child too, she was 14- that's only two years older than her. How could he expect his 14 year old daughter to kill another child and crucify her when she failed to do so after bringing him the entire Earth Kingdom? Not to say she agrees with it, but it is an impressive feat for someone, more so especially for how young. 

Toph automatically came to the conclusion that both Zuko and Azula did not get their smarts nor skills from their father. 

The girl nodded, "Father, I understand but this time I will kill her! Eclipse or not, I will make you proud and then-!"

He interrupted her again by standing up abruptly, he towered over her and she took a step back. 

"You dare believe I'll give you a second chance?" He hissed, "You have embarrassed this powerful Nation greatly, falling into a false belief of your own power! You cannot be nearly as strong as I have trusted you to be!"

Azula shook her head frantically, "No! No, I'm strong! I'm powerful and I haven't embarrassed the Fire Nation! There's still time!" She shrieked desperately, turning on her heel to run off, "I can go right now and-!"

"And now you dare leave when I have not dismissed you?" He reached out and clutched onto her arm, preventing her from leaving, "Have you no limit, Princess Azula?"

"Forgive me, Father. I didn't mean to disrespect you, I just want to prove myself to you and I will do that by slaughtering the Avatar today"

He gave her an icy glare, "You have proved yourself enough with your failure at Omashu- this is unacceptable!" Failure at Omashu? Again, Azula conquered the entire Earth Kingdom! Does he not know how big the territory is? She got through Ba Sing Se, "You will pay for your inability to kill the Avatar accompanied by blatant disrespect!"

She shook her head again and thrashed out of his grip, "No! No, Father! Please , I can still do it! I can still kill her! Give me just merely five minutes!"

Toph couldn't help but be acutely aware of Azula's heart. It was beating in the same exact way when Toph had her pinned against the fountain back at Omashu. It was beating so fast, thumping so loudly against her chest that she could practically hear it from out here. Azula was scared back then, and she is scared right now.  

No child should ever fear their parents

BOOM!

With a powerful kick, Toph swung the door open and accompanied it with a strong burst of air that blew the Fire Lord back, slamming right into his throne, "LEAVE HER ALONE!"

He groaned but his eyes snapped open with a gasp as he realized just who was standing protectively in front of his daughter. From the scorching lava flowing in the walls around them and the heat of having two high strung Firebenders in the same room- the temperature was absurd and made it even more difficult to sense her surroundings.  

Toph flipped on herself, facing a shaken Azula, her arms raised to nearly reach out from the 14 year old but not quite, "Are you alright? I'm sorry I didn't come sooner"

The Firebender nodded mutely before the Avatar noticed that her attention was no longer focused on her but on her father. He pushed himself off his metallic throne, " The Avatar" He growled

Ignoring his sour tone, Toph swirled back around and frowned at him, standing her ground, "Yeah it's me, the Avatar. And honestly, I think you should've just done your own dirty work instead of pushing it onto your daughter!" She pointed an accusing finger at him, lips curled into a smirk, "I mean really , you've been Fire Lord for how long? And your most recent achievement wasn't even yours, it was hers! And then you have the audacity to yell at her for not doing your job? You're a real piece of work!"

She heard Azula's breath catch in a gasp from behind her at her words. Maybe insulting him wasn't truly the best thing to do right now but it will take the heat off Azula and put it onto her and she would much rather prefer it that way. 

The man snarled at her and jumped into the air, kicking a wave of searing flames at her. Toph took a page out of Waterbending's book and redirected his blast into a shield of fire, protecting both herself and the 14 year old behind her. 

Toph stood still as he ran towards her, but she leaped right onto an air scooter and zoomed around him in circles, her fists rapidly striking with both sides of his face several times in a row. He grunted and stumbled back, rubbing his chin with one hand as he shot daggers at her which did nothing to affect her.

After her feet landed in their rightful place on the ground, the Fire Lord was directly in front of her- which caught her off guard due to this terrible, distracting heat. Before she had a moment to react, his large knuckles collided with her chest, sending her backwards and crashing her back into the cavern walls with a loud grunt.

She doesn't need the Avatar State, not yet at least, there will be a time in this battle where she knows she will need it but it is not yet. There's no water around, Earth is out of the question because of this seriously unstable volcano, and Fire will be useless in a couple minutes. Air is her only chance. 

Toph felt a hand fist around the collar of her shirt, Ozai was about to hurl her across the room but she took a deep breath, blowing a huge burst of wind at him and causing him to collapse onto his back sharply.

Pressing the flat of his hands on the ground on either side of his head, the man jerked his legs into the air, spinning on his hands and sending spiraling swipes of fire at her. Toph reeled back, dodging every hit. 

Standing to his feet now, both hands twitched, creating two blazing daggers. He gave several deep swings at her, a storm of fire gushing from his mouth. The Avatar sweat as she continued to side step, her movements becoming more clumsy as her 'vision' became even more fuzzy.

Crack! 

Oh no. 

BOOM!

Toph leaped out of the way as fucking lightning jet streamed in her direction, electrocuting and exploding a large chunk of the earthen wall.

It was getting harder to see. The air was thick and suffocating as if the entire room was filled with cotton. The continuous lava from under, above and surrounding rocks prevented her from properly feeling his footsteps. The water in his veins coursed, it was boiling and felt nothing like how warm blood should feel. 

Toph couldn't see, she just kept dodging, creating solid air blasts, pushing him away as she tried to gather herself. She can't keep fighting here, not like this. As the Avatar hastily wiped the buckets of sweat beading on her forehead, she tried to make a plan. 

Okay, Ozai isn't good. He isn't a good Firebender and frankly, she's fought better with Azula. And Toph could have easily wiped the floor with this asshole if she could just fucking see what the fuck was happening-

Holy shit. Fire sense! 

The Earthbender kept her feet light, bouncing from foot to foot as she swooshed a wall of air, shoving the adult back several feet.

Despite being unable to get a proper look at the man, she could hear his smile, "Are you going to fight or are you going to keep pushing me away?"

She ignored him. It's so hot, she can't feel anything under the smoldering temperature and his flames made it so much more worse. But at the end of the day, flames and high temperature- it's heat. It's heat and heat is in every living thing, just like water. 

His blood was quite literally boiling but he had so much heat stored up in him, he was a Firebender, he was human. Humans are warm, they are living, pulsing beings who have heat radiating off them in waves

Toph growled and jerked a fist toward him, a burst of fire sending towards him and-

FOOSH!

She could see.

The heat circulating in Ozai's burning body, in Azula's behind her, in her own body. The warmth was extremely concentrated in places like the head, chest, hands, and underarms. She could feel it, but most importantly…

She knew where he was.

It was blurry and weak but it will do. Toph grinned, running forward with feet stomping on the hard ground as she launched herself up into the air, crashing her fiery leg down onto his head. He yelped in pain as she somersaulted backwards.

She bombarded the man with several air balls, each one that made contact with his body forced him to take steps back, further and further until he was nearly at the opposite side of the room.

He fell back on the floor, growling as Toph forced down a smug grin, keeping her face cold and stagnant. 

She is back on the advantage. She is stronger than him and can now see him. There was nothing stopping her now. Toph will win, win this war for the entire world. 

Suddenly, Ozai jerked his body forward, punching a fist into the air to shoot a fireball and Toph was quick to react but… 

All that came out was smoke. 

Smoke. 

The eclipse was starting. 

The eclipse started and Toph still has an element to fight with. This was her moment, her perfect moment . She could fight the Fire Lord and win, she can end this war right here and now and this was it. They could all-

The Avatar went to step forward but her walk was stopped with a hand clutching her arm tightly. 

Azula

She was still fucking terrified, in complete shock over the events. She's so scared -more so considering her bending is gone temporarily (she's just 14, she's only a child) she can't be here for another second

Ozai is powerless.

But Azula needs to get out of here. 

Pick. Her mind shouted at her. Pick! Pick and face the consequences of whichever option you don't choose. 

Fighting the Fire Lord in his state is surely a victory.

But Azula needs help now . This was her chance to help her. If she gets Azula out of here, she needs to be leaving as well. 

Both of these are perfect moments, moments she will surely not get again so graciously. 

But she can only pick one

Ozai smirked, "Someone's looking hesitant"

____________________

Zuko was in the middle of shooting a hot jet stream of fire at his enemies before his flames began to burn out until he was spraying nothing more than smoke. 

He snarled and glanced heavenward, the moon had covered the sun completely. 

The solar eclipse.  

He climbed onto a flipped Earth Kingdom tank and stood high above the chaos, " IT'S STARTING!" He screamed out into the battlefield 

Their army glanced up at him before their shouts and fighting became more vicious. The Fire Nation soldiers tried to fight back at first but once they realized in unity that they couldn't even light the smallest flicker of a flame, they began to retreat again.

Zuko stayed standing atop the tank, a part of him felt deep satisfaction watching the Firebenders scurry away from his allies. The shame he had felt for being a late bloomer, a terrible bender, vanished for a moment as he saw the army he once adored run like roaches. 

His eyes grazed over the Capital until they landed on- oh shit.

"Mai..." He whispers her name with a gasp

She's here? And is that Ty Lee? Oh fuck, they're screwed. With Ty Lee's chi blocking and Mai's throwing knives skills, they're two of the most powerful Nonbenders he's ever known. 

He stared with large eyes as Mai hurled six or so daggers, they soared through the air and nearly pierced right through the thick rock wall that Haru had covered over himself and Jet. She and Ty Lee stayed fighting as the rest of the guards fell back.

Her eyes gaze upward slightly and by chance, she spots him, standing up there staring right back at her. Why wasn't he moving? He should jump off this tank, Mai had spotted him. He had betrayed them back at Omashu, she was going to kill him.

But Zuko didn't move and neither did Mai, even as she was getting pushed and shoved by the Firebenders rushing past. They used to be best friends. The days when Azula had messed with him too much, he would always seek solitude in the quiet Mai with a sense of humor as dry as his.

It was hard to leave her in Omashu, to leave her with the horror that is his sister even though they were close friends and Zuko knew that Mai always refused direct orders from Azula, doing things because she wanted to rather than because she was told. He nearly went back to the Fire Nation for her but he realized that if he was going back, he was going back for himself .

But it didn't mean it didn't hurt any less. Watching her right eye twitch slightly and she blinked far too many times and bit her lip, he knew all her little quirks and she knew all his. She was upset, just as upset as him. 

They continued to stare as if the entire invasion didn't exist for a moment. 

Until, in one sudden motion, she had brought up her knifed hand and…

Whipped around, catching a sprinting Firebender right in the back, making them collapse to the ground. 

Zuko blinked. 

What? 

Did Mai just… hit a Fire Nation guard? 

Somehow, his eyes widened even more and he was sure he looked like a bug, Mai glanced back at him, a small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth before quickly vanishing as three Firebenders charged at her for her… betrayal?

"MAI-!" Zuko screeched, jumping off the tank and readying his sword as he prepared his full out sprint to his friend's side until-

Ty Lee leaped in front of her weightlessly, jabbing a select number of pressure spots on the three charging adults, they all fell to the ground. 

He froze again, completely dumbfounded. 

Okay really, what? 

What the fuck was happening? Apparently he was not the only who saw the events, as Uncle and Suki stared as stupidly ahead as he was.

"Uh, I think I'm confused! Weren't they part of the bad guys?" Jet shouted, scratching his head, dropping his hooked swords limply to his sides

"That's what I thought!" Teo added 

Zuko stepped forward, "Mai, what're you," He stopped for a moment, punching a Firebender who tried to jump him right in the face, "What're you doing!?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Mai huffed, flinging another dagger past him, "Helping you guys"

Ummmmmm...

The 16 year old then turned to Ty Lee, "And you?"

"I'm helping Mai! Which I guess means I'm helping you guys too then!" She spoke calmly as if she wasn't taking on five grown, skilled soldiers at a time 

He trusts these two, even after everything that has happened, he still does. They have bigger problems to deal with besides his old friends' blatant betrayal against their entire country. 

Another guard ran up to him but he clasped tightly around their arm, flipping them right over his shoulder. He raised his sword again and backed up, his back bumping right into Mai's.

He cocked his head slightly to glance at her as he fended off several soldiers at once, "Okay, seriously. What the fuck? What're you doing, Mai!? This is crazy!" He parried forward, blade cutting through the air, "You're gonna get yourself killed, go back to the other side and I'll pretend this never happened!"

The 17 year old was one of his closest friends and he knows that he is fighting on a side that is extremely dangerous, he could die, this entire invasion could die . He would never wish that upon neither her nor Ty Lee. 

Zuko's back was turned away from the girl, but he could hear the slashing and clashing of her knives, followed by screams of agony, "I'm not going back, Zuko. The Fire Nation, the rules, the conquests, I'm tired of it all. Seeing you here, standing tall and fighting for what you want…" He heard her pause, "You aren't the royal prince anymore and you don't even care, it's inspiring... or something"

He was… inspiring? Or well, 'inspiring or something' as his friend so graciously put it. He knew she was always so painfully stifled but had no idea that Mai was tired of it. 

Huh

____________________

If there was one thing Toph doesn't do, it's hesitate. 

The Avatar zoomed down the winding tunneled hallways, clasping tight onto Azula's hand as she led her hastily, pushing them faster with Airbending, Toph's feet barely grazing the ground. 

"It's okay! The Fire Lord is trapped in so much stone that even when he does get his Firebending back he won't be able to get out without a little help!" She reassured the 14 year old as they ran, turned around to face Azula and beginning to run backwards, she rubbed her thumb over the Firebender's hand as a comfort, "He'll be there for a while"

She felt Azula nod silently as she squeezed her hand tighter, a slight burning feeling stung Toph's hands and she guessed that the eclipse was beginning to end. 

Fighting Ozai and saving Azula, both were good choices that held the utmost importance in her mind. The situation from earlier offered her the perfect moment for either or but not both. 

So she chose Azula.

And Toph does not regret her decision, call her selfish or stupid or whatever name in the book but she refused to feel bad for being able to get Azula away from that man. 

There will always be time to beat the Fire Lord before the comet, but helping Azula- that opportunity might have never presented itself again

"I failed" Azula rasped, the first words she's spoken since the Earthbender interrupted her and Ozai's discussion 

Toph wasn't sure what exactly she was referring to though. It could have been a number of things really. Failing her father as the perfect military weapon, failing to kill her in Omashu, failing at taking her hand, her chance at redemption, failure to become a better person. She was able to see herself a lot in Azula, the high standards she sets for herself being one of those things. So whatever she believes she failed at, she will take personally and base her self worth off of that.

"There's always time to grow from it" Was all she said back and they continued running. Azula went back to her silence, guilt, regret, and anxiety festering from within her being as she kept her grip vice tight on the small Avatar

Ignoring the beating pulse she held so dearly onto, Toph tried to focus on her newly developed Fire sense. She could feel the heat circulating in Azula's body, her hands were a lot warmer than before, she guessed because of how she had gotten her bending back. 

So the eclipse was over. The moment to defeat the Fire Lord was gone but she at least took his daughter and encased him in rock so it's sort of a win, more so considering how crazy rich people get with having an heir. 

In a matter of minutes, she was able to make out two figures. They were blurry and hard to read but she knew just from how they held themselves it was Sokka and Katara. Apparently on their search, they had managed to find each other. 

"My friends are up ahead, you don't need to say anything if you don't wanna" She smiled at Azula, trying her best to remain calm 

 "Is that Toph-" 

" TOPH!?" Katara was interrupted by Sokka pushing past his sister, rushing up to the sprinting Avatar, " TOOPPPH!"  

The 12 year old stopped short, only to be jumped by Sokka, he hugged her firmly, eyes shut tight, "Holy shit! When the eclipse ended we got so worried that the Fire Lord killed you or something! Don't fucking do that again, asshole!"

"Good to see you too, Sokka," Toph started before wanting to quickly explain as Katara embraced her in a hug as well, "I found him, and we fought for a little but this wasn't the right time. We thought we had the surprise on our side but we didn't obviously-"

"Azula" Katara stated

"Yes, Azula is here- but she's cool! She's cool, you're cool, we're all-"

"AZULA!" She shirked, charging forward but was caught mid pounce by Toph, who wrapped her arms tightly around her waist and held her back. Katara thrashed in her arms, yelling obscenities 

"Fucking shit!" The Firebender cursed, "If you wanna fight, I'd be happy to-"

Toph shot her a glare, still holding back a struggling Katara, " No, you wouldn't because these are my friends and you're my friend too, and I don't want-" She huffed as Katara continued to fight out of her grip, "I don't want MY FRIENDS FIGHTING!"

….

Her girlfriend stopped her struggle and when she was sure nothing was going to happen, Toph let go and took a step back, standing in front of Azula, "You guys have questions, I know but that might need to wait a little because I didn't have time to beat the Fire Lord, he's trapped in rock though," She said quickly, grabbing Azula's hand and speed walking away, leaving the other two to follow, "The entire Fire Nation knew we were coming, our whole plan was made with the thought that we had the surprise over them, but we didn't. All we can do is leave this volcano and help the others!"

"Wait, so you didn't beat him?!" Sokka asked, chasing after her 

"No," Toph replied as they kept walking, "But I'll get another moment"

Katara followed closely, as if just waiting for Azula to strike, "So this entire invasion was a failure"

"Again, no. If we can save our friends and make sure no one is hurt, then we won enough for today- this will just have to wait for another day"

Spirits, she loves Katara and Sokka but at least Azula was being quiet. But now that she is thinking about it, that might not exactly be a good thing especially considering the first words she actually spoke to her today was 'I failed' . She hoped nothing was building up or negative thoughts were festering in the Firebender's brain





After climbing out of the Caldera Volcano, the group, emerging with one extra member, rushed as fast as they could back down to the Fire Nation Capital where Toph has never witnessed so much chaos and disarray at once before. 

In the large city, there were thousands of people, most of them being Fire Nation while the small portion being their tiny, measly invasion team. Holy shit. 

"Holy shit," Katara stole the words right from her mind before running ahead, "Come on! We need to help!" 

"Right!" 

"Oh uh… Guys? I don't think that's so much of a good idea" Sokka's voice was filled with anxiety as he pointed up towards the sky. Toph sensed- oh fucking shit...

In the sky flew several war balloons, dropping bombs and shooting streams of fire down at the ground. Standing in front of the royal palace stood dozens of reinforcements. 

"Right, great," Toph groaned before Wander came running up to them, his armor was dented and ashy but besides that he was unscathed, she turned to Sokka and Katara, "Take Wander, start rounding up the others. Make sure to get everyone to the submarines, I'll do what I can to slow them down!"

The Avatar stomped a bare, slightly burnt foot on the ground and a pillar of stone launched the siblings into the air and onto the badgermole's back, beginning to rush off and screaming commands at their allies. 

Toph felt them go and whipped around on her heel, she prepared her stance and punched roughly at the air, shooting hot flames up to destroy balloons and blimps. 

She turned to Azula, who seemed to refuse to leave her side, "A little help?" 

The Firebender looked her up and down, "Your stance is off, your legs are too close" She spoke before getting to (apparently correct) form and blasting a heavy jet of fire into the air, fanning at the passing balloons 

The two continue working side by side, firing blast after blast at as many airborne machines as they possibly could. At one point, a Firebender tried to sneak up on Toph and before she had the chance to knock them down, Azula leaped behind her and utterly obliterated him, setting him aflame and kicking his face in. 

"Huh, thanks!" Azula only hummed in response 

After a little while, they soon realized that there were far too many and decided to reluctantly count their blessings and leave the Capital. She could have entered the Avatar State but decided against it, there would be no use in wasting her energy if they were only going to retreat. 

Toph grabbed Azula's hand again and Earth surfed all the way out of the city and joined the others at the plaza.

"Why're they just standing there?" Azula asked as they neared closer to the group standing in the middle of the long forum

That's a good question, why are they just standing there? Why weren't they getting to the submarines like she said to-

BOOM! 

BOOM!

BOOM!

Suddenly, eight or so bombs had dived from above, blowing up and completely destroying the subs. No! Nononono! 

"What happened!?" Toph asked, alarmed as she stopped surfing on the stone and now standing in front of Azula 

" TOPH, WATCH OUT! AZULA'S BEHIND YOU!" 

She felt four particular heartbeats speed up at the sight of her. Zuko's, Iroh's and- hey what's knife girl and happy girl doing here? 

Zuko shoved past the group and grabbed Toph, shoving her to the side as he threw a punch at his sister, who caught it with a shocked expression on her face. 

"Zuzu- I mean, Zuko! Just give me a moment to explain!" She shouted

He didn't listen, using his his free hand to try to hit her again but she only dodged it and grabbed that hand as well, " WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" 

Suddenly, the stone underneath their feet shoved them apart, Toph stood in between them, "I didn't really fight the Fire Lord and Azula's cool now! I can explain everything later but right now, we have bigger problems!" 

Skillfully recovering, Katara spoke, "The submarines just blew up!

"And we have no idea how we're gonna escape!" Sokka added as Toph stood defensively in front of Azula again 

Chief Hakoda stepped forward, "We're not gonna escape," He started, what does he mean not gonna escape? Are they going to stay and fight? "You kids have to leave, escape on Appa and Wander together"

Toph felt Katara's heart skip a beat before falling, "We can't leave you behind! Any of you!" 

"You're our only chance in the long run," He shook his head before gesturing to Toph, "You and Sokka need to go with Toph somewhere safe" 

Bato then came by his boyfriend's side, resting a hand on his shoulder, "The youngest of our group should go too, the adults'll stay behind and surrender," He spoke firmly and confidently, "We'll be prisoners, but we'll all survive"

As he spoke, Tyro came forth as well, "I've got some experience with the Fire Nation prisons. It's not going to be easy, but we'll get by" As he finished, Haru immediately wrapped his arms around his father for a tight hug

So the adults were staying behind while the kids made their escape? In all honesty, Toph hated the plan but logically... it is the only way for all of them to survive, like Bato said. Leaving the adults to suffer in prison while they await the days when they could strike another invasion. Their already small army is now cut by half, how are they going to recover from this? 

She felt a large hand rest on her shoulder as the others said goodbye to friends and family, she knew who was behind her and her eyes began to sting. Toph wordlessly turned on her heel and wrapped her arms around her parents, who were already kneeling to hug her. They embraced tight, never wishing to let go. 

"I'm gonna get you guys back, this war should've ended today but I'll make sure it ends soon" She promised, squeezing her arms around Bol-dad's neck 

"We know you will, we'll see you soon" Dad-Ko kissed her head 

Fire dad hummed, a somber smile on his face, "You fought hard today so don't start cutting yourself short now"

The adults that had fought bravely in this battle, the ones who are sacrificing themselves for the sake of the world, they are true fucking heros and when she ends the war, she's making fucking statues of all of them. Toph laughed wetly and pulled away from the hug, knowing if she went any longer, she would find herself unable to let go.

They told her sayings of good luck and I love yous in their Earth Kingdom tongue as they walked to one side of the plaza, where the other adults stood, ready to be captured. 

The Avatar turned towards Azula, she was standing off, alone. She made her way over to her and the first thing the Firebender decided to say was, "Were you crying? You look terrible"

"I feel terrible, Azula," She chuckled, wiping tears from her face as she stood by her side, she felt Zuko and Iroh hugging and speaking to each other and knew that was what the girl by her side's attention was on. Toph understood that in Azula's mind, it wouldn't make sense for her to go up to their uncle and just say goodbye (even though it didn't need to, he was her uncle too), so instead of encouraging her to do so, she simply asked, 

"So what do you think about underground travel?"

Notes:

AZULLLLLLAAAAAA!!!!! WE GOT HER!!! AND MAI AND TY LEE!!! WE GOT THEM!!

Okay so let's unpack the scene where Tpph was with Ozai and Azula, shall we?

First of all, Ozai, the Loser Lord as we all know, is pissed that his daughter didn't do all the work for him. That she failed in killing the Cursed Avatar and all their efforts of finding the new, Firebending Avatar were basically pointless. In short, he's mad that his 14 year old child didn't kill some 12 year old.

And the day he finds out is the day he knows his bending will be gone temporarily AND there's an invasion so he's thinking he's ROYALLY fucked. So instead of taking responsibility for his own actions or you know, understanding that MAYBE his daughter is still a CHILD and not a WAR MACHINE, he just places the blame all on Azula

You know, as one does.

So he's basically threatening her. Saying all of this was her fault, telling her was too weak to do it, that she's embarrassed the Nation, the only thing she was taught to LIVE for.

And Azula is a kid, one of the first things she probably thought of in that moment was what he did to her brother, to Zuko. He burned half his face off and banished him for 3 years JUST because he spoke out of turn in a meeting when he was 13.

And in her mind, Azula has done MUCH worse than that…

And then Toph comes. Toph comes in, kicking the door down and SCREAMING about how Ozai is just totally incompetent.

She does this but more importantly, she choses Azula. Toph CHOSES Azula over Ozai when the eclipse starts. She had to make a decision between finishing Ozai off or getting Azula out of there. And she chose Azula.

No one has EVER willingly chose her before, not Iroh, not Zuko, not Ursa, the only person who ever DID was Ozai and look how that turned out.

And Toph chose Azula over ending the war. It WAS a selfish decision, to choose one person over ending the suffering of MILLIONS, it WAS. But Toph didn't care, she wanted to get Azula out of there, she's wanted to do that from since the moment she MET her.

Between two perfect moments, she chose Azula. And that choice will affect everything else.

:)

And Mai and Ty Lee joined the "enemy" without even knowing that Azula was basically gonna do it, I thought it was sorta funny for it to be like that.

Mai rebelled for similar reasons as she did in canon along with my own personal tweaks. In canon, she basically just did it for Zuko, it was ALWAYS Zuko and there was honestly nothing wrong with that, but for a character to only be redeemable JUST because she's a love interest.... eh...

In this, she did it, yes, because of Zuko but there was more to it. It was Zuko's point of view when we saw it so I wanna sorta walk you through her thought process, we'll be hearing the exacts reasons in either next chapter or the chapter after that (I forget oof-). She was stifled because of her Nobel family, we all know that. She was stifled and Zuko, one of her close friends was literally BANISHED when she was 14. She hasn't seen him in YEARS and when she did, he chose the side of the Avatar, he chose the side AGAINST the Fire Nation, he chose to FIGHT, not to come back with them in Omashu.

That affected Mai. It hurt her but it changed her. It ignited a flame inside her, it made her question WHY. Why did Zuko do that? Why didn't he chose his home? And she now understood why, the Fire Nation had flaws, it was wrongly this WAR was WRONG. It was all wrong and she wanted to help fix it, not encourage it.

And as for Ty Lee, I've heard people say she's a LOT smarter than she let's on and I TOTALLY agree. She's smart, I think she's always sorta known in a way that the Fire Nation was messed up but she never said anything either for safety or for whatever reason she had. She's smart and knows what to say, knows when to talk about aruas and laugh. And she cares for her friends, she cares for Mai and she cares for Azula. So when it finally clicked for Mai, she was ready to join her, to PROTECT her.

And okay, last note but super important I SWEAR. FIRE SENSE!!!!! TOPH DID IT BITCH!!!! It's HEAT! Fire isn't evil, it's passion, it's life, it's warmth. Fire Sense senses the heat inside a person's body, sorta like Waterbending sensing the water in someones veins. It's kinda like thermal vision.

OKAY THATS IT!!! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!!!

Chapter 9: Azula's Integration

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After their humiliating defeat at the Fire Nation, the younger, non-adult group that wasn't captured and taken as prisoners spent the next couple of days traveling to the royal family's unkempt summer home, that being their only possible refuge. 

On the way there, they traveled on Wander and Appa, the kids save for Toph (who rode Wander) and Aang (who rode Appa) alternated between which animal they rode frequently on their travels. The only person who stubbornly refused to do so as well was Azula. The Firebender rejected the idea of leaving Toph's side and Toph assumed it was because she was the only one right now who trusted her. 

But it was weird as it was amazing, being unable to detect if someone was lying. Azula was just such an amazing liar. Because of her skills, Toph had to focus on other aspects instead- listening in a different way. She kept in mind her father's blatant favoritism, her hesitation before grabbing her hand during Omashu, how she was so quick to protect Toph from that Firebender when they were taking down war balloons during The Day of Black Sun. 

These are the things she has to remember and these are the things that made her believe that Azula cannot be all bad, she was just brought up terribly. 

Zuko was actually another who refused to alternate, staying on Appa the entire time. He didn't want to see his sister and Toph wasn't surprised, he expressed his negative feelings towards her well before and during the invasion. 

While on their way to the Ember Island home, Toph was able to get the entire story on what happened while they were underground. 

Apparently knife girl and happy girl (whose names were Mai and Ty Lee she learned) had begun to fight against the Fire Nation after the eclipse started, adding two powerful forces onto their team. 

Honestly, Toph was more than happy to have them on board, she's tired of having so many enemies, it's annoying. Toph had explained what went down with the Fire Lord and Azula, only barely brushing upon the details of why exactly she barged in so quickly in case Azula didn't wish for her to share it. She made sure to tell the others to get the message to Zuko in their next switch. 

And everyone was… understandably a little on edge with Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee here. 

Well, Azula and Mai more than Ty Lee, who's peppy and bubbly nature was her saving grace compared to Mai's natural gloom and Azula's uncharacteristic silence, only speaking a few words but those ended up blowing up in her face anyway. 

But now after traveling for several days, they were finally getting close to the home. Toph could feel that they had just stopped digging underneath a giant ocean and were now under actual land.

Azula was by her side while Jet, Suki, Yue, Haru, Smellerbee and Longshot were sitting on Wander's back behind them. 

"-And then I said, 'What the fuck? I thought you sold cabbages!" Jet just finished a joke that everyone began howling in laughter at

He had become such a charismatic and charming boy since their first meeting and Toph was still so, so proud of him. She was proud of all her friends, they've all grown so much.

Azula didn't laugh though, she only moved closer to Toph, "So we're all aware that that boy has a flower in his mouth and no one is going to question why?"

"Well, it used to be a piece of wheat but yeah. He likes it, who're we to judge him for something as simple as that? His name is Jet by the way," The Avatar explained, "So many names can be hard at first, nicknames might help" 

"I can memorize every name here along with their greatest strengths and weaknesses, I simply don't wish to" She spoke in a defensive, matter-of-factly tone 

The 12 year old chuckled patiently, "I know you can, I'm just suggesting"

…. 

"Is… Is that why you have nicknames for the others? For reasons of memorization?" 

Toph understood that that was Azula silently apologizing for her snap, "Nope. I just like giving nicknames to my friends. They're fun but there's a sacredness to it, something needs to happen for me to make one" 

Sounding slightly intrigued, the girl raised an eyebrow, "Like what?" 

"Well, I call Suki -the Kyoshi Warrior- I call her Girl time because this one time she was complaining about not having enough 'girl time' with me and Katara! Aang -the one with the bison- is Twinkle Toes because he's a great dancer and Sokka -the sword guy- is Wolf tail and Warrior because of his hair and he's -you know- a warrior . Oh, and Katara is Waterbug- well, that's more of a pet name but you get the idea" 

"Pet name?" The Firebender repeated, "You two are… Together?"  

Toph nodded, a faint blush flushing her cheeks, "Yeah," She spoke before adding, "I heard that the Fire Nation hates that kinda stuff though"

"Yes, but if I'm being honest," Azula leaned back slightly, resting on her hands with a very small smile on her lips, "I believe it's an idiotic rule. The Fire Nation has much more to focus on rather than who their people are marrying" 

"People can get so caught up in what others are doing that they can hardly realize that their preferences of love don't affect them at all" Toph said as the girl hummed in agreement  





A couple hours passed and they had finally reached the summer home, it was still mid day. After Appa landed and Wander had burrowed out of the sand, the team regrouped on the beach that led up to the house. 

"Does anyone remember the other day when I said I don't wanna stay in the Fire Lord's house?" Smellerbee recalled, attention focused at the large home, "I take it back. Holy crap"

Jet nodded, "I thought we were going to a torture dungeon or something, that place is fucking huge"

"It reminds me a lot of the buildings in the Northern Water Tribe, though ours are bigger… and made of ice" Yue said and Toph nearly forgot that she was royalty 

"Yeah yeah, the place is great. Come on, let's get inside before someone sees us" Sokka began shoving Longshot and Teo forward 

Aang turned towards Toph, "Toph! Wanna race?" 

"Nah I'm good, Twinkle Toes," The Avatar waved at him, "I think I'm okay with walking"

"Oh, okay!" He shrugged and turned to Jet, "Hey Jet, you wanna race me?" 

The 16 year old chuckled and pet him on the head, "Sure" He spoke before getting a jumping start towards the house, the Airbender laughed and chased after him

The others began walking at a much more leisurely pace with Toph and Azula all the way in the back, furthest away and ambling with Appa and Wander. 

Toph wondered if this was uncomfortable for Azula being here, staying in their old summer home. Zuko didn't seem that bothered by it, he was mainly just angry but he was always angry. Azula wasn't upset at all though. 

"Sorry if it's weird coming here. We hid out here before the eclipse and figured it would be the safest spot closest to the Capital" The Earthbender spoke 

Azula shook her head, gaze cast at the path trailing to the home, "It's only logical and I can't say I'm surprised with this location, it's very predictable that if you were to hide out anywhere it would be here- the one spot Zuko knows isn't being used" 

"If they don't think we're coming back then I'm sure it's safe enough in the meantime" Toph said and felt Wander nudge at Azula's back with his large head, she hesitantly pet his fur 

"Well it's been years since it's been used. And it is certainly going to be a change"

"A good change or bad change?"

The 14 year old didn't speak for a moment, as if trying to pick her words carefully- something Zuko never did. Azula was carefully spoken, she was rational and knew just how to articulate her words in all the ways her brother didn't, saying whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, "Good… I suppose," She shrugged, "At least all those rooms aren't collecting dust anymore"

  • She had a better mindset than Zuko definitely did when they had come last month so she'll take that as a good sign.

At least Toph will have plenty more time to train as hard as she could, not affording to be anything less than perfect when truly facing the Fire Lord. She could strengthen her Fire sense and by the time she fights him, every one of her elemental senses will be strong and she will see all. 

____________________

Zuko stood with disgust and disdain as he watched Toph in the courtyard, already back to the grind of her training, bending the water from the fountain as Azula stood by her. They were talking and although he had no idea of what because of the distance, he knew it couldn't be good. 

It's been a few hours since they arrived and he was on the steps leading to the yard, leaning against a wooden pillar with folded arms. Aang, Katara and Sokka were practically sitting on top of each other on the stoop while Suki was sitting on the short railing, Momo sleeping in her lap. 

The others were scattered around the property. He was sure that he saw Jet, Teo and Haru step inside, and the last time he checked, Ty Lee was braiding Yue's hair or something. 

He didn't understand how they could just let Azula come back with them. They should have left her to face whatever 'wrath' father was going to bestow upon her. 

Father wouldn't ever hurt Azula, she had no right to be scared- he knew fear, he was hurt, he was banished. She didn't deal with any of those things. How could Toph do this to him? How could she just… forgive her after everything she's done? Azula was a monster.

Zuko never wished to see his sister again but here she was, standing a couple meters in front of him, conversing with one of his friends. What right? Had she no respect? She can't just come in here and take his friends! They were his , not her's!

It wasn't fair . Azula never suffered, she was a prodigy and got everything she ever wanted. There was no point- no use in showing her kindness or forgiveness or anything. All his life, she has always been better than him and she was probably waiting for the opportunity to throw it in his face. 

'Oh Zuzu, I faced father and didn't get my face burnt off in the process!'

'That Sokka boy is very cute, do you know if he is single?'

'The Avatar has shown me much kindness, Zuzu. I'm starting to think she likes me more than you!'

She will say anything just to infuriate him. Zuko growled, his grip on his arms tightening, "I can't believe Azula's here..."

"It is a little weird seeing her here" Aang nodded slightly 

Katara glanced at Toph and Azula, "Are we really gonna let her stay? She did mess us up a lot"

" Thank you," Zuko huffed, "She's nothing but trouble, I say we throw her out before she kills Toph for real this time!" 

He might have said that just a little too loud but whether Toph and Azula heard, he didn't know because neither reacted to his words. 

Sokka shushed him, reaching for his arm and yanking him down to the wooden floor harshly, " Shut up! They're right there! Look, Toph's smart and I trust her judgement. She could tell when people are lying"

"But not Azula," Katara leaned forward, propping her elbows on her knees and resting her chin in her hands, "Toph said herself that she's such a good liar that she's the only person she can't tell"

"She seems to trust her just fine without it..." Aang pointed out, switching sides of the argument quickly 

"Azula always lies" The Firebender hissed, shifting to sit properly right behind Sokka

Suki kept her eyes down at the resting lemur curled in her lap, petting his back, "Well regardless, Aang is right. Toph trusts her, I don't think she expects any of us to become best friends with Azula or frankly, trust her but I think she at least wants us all to get along with as little problems as possible"

"Yeah and after everything we've been through, I don't want any problems right now either!" Sokka closed his eyes and leaned back, his head resting on Zuko's lap with his arms behind his own head 

But they can't possibly keep her around. It was certain suicide! You can't trust Azula, not now and not ever. She always lies and that will never change. 

He whipped his head at Katara (they almost always agree on things, they have very similar mindsets and personalities actually), "You don't agree with this, right?" 

She shook her head, "I don't, I'm angry and upset and really fucked up about this whole thing, okay? But while we were traveling, I talked to Toph a lot about this. I don't trust Azula but I do ... trust her. And if Azula tries the slightest thing, I swear I'm killing her. Toph knows this," She turned her attention back towards her girlfriend, "I'm just waiting for a reason murder her"

"This is obviously a trap! This is that reason, why not just do it now!?" 

"To be honest, the only thing holding me back is Toph getting upset with me if I do"

Aang raised an eyebrow and leaned closer to the Waterbender, "You're being… surprisingly rational about this"

"Are you okay?" Suki asked

"Yeah," Sokka cackled from Zuko's lap, not bothering to sit up or even look at his sister, he waved his hand lazily, "I'm surprised you're not flooding the whole place just to get rid of her" 

"I have self control!" She shrieked before the four gave her unconvinced looks, she huffed, "Okay fine, you assholes. Toph trusts Azula and hurting Azula means hurting Toph and sorry that I wanna be a good girlfriend and trust what she has to say for once because she was right about Jet… And Zuko… And the entire Earth Kingdom… And about the Fire Nation too- I'm gonna shut up because now I'm feeling a little guilty"

"You can't blame us, Toph's just so easy to not listen to," Sokka said, reaching up and grabbing Zuko's cheeks, squishing them together, "You're with me on this, right Zuko?" 

He hummed, "She is easy to tune out but we're getting off topic!" He grabbed Sokka's strong hands and pushed him off his legs, "I think Azula being here is a really bad fucking idea!"

No one was agreeing with him. Well except Katara but she was going to wait until she did something, by the time that happens, it will be too late! When Azula reveals her true intentions, the entire Fire Nation army will have surrounded the entire summer home and they'll all be captured and killed! 

Why was no one else seeing the danger she was putting them all in? It was fucking insane, it was as if no one cared about her actions before! It doesn't make sense! Azula was a terrible sister and an even more terrible person, there was a reason she was favored by father- she was too much like him and that was never a good thing.

Zuko jumped to his feet and hastily made his way off the steps, "If you guys aren't doing anything about this, then I am" 

" Zuko…" Suki warned him in a low voice, not even moving from her spot with Momo continuing to stay on her lap, it didn't make her any less threatening, " Leave them alone" 

...

Dammit, he hates when she uses that tone. 

He huffed and trudged back to the steps, plopping down in between Katara and Sokka. 

Sokka cackled once again before wrapping an arm around his shoulders, "Glad you're seeing things our way!"

There was nothing to see , they were the blind ones. They were idiots if they actually thought they could just leave it alone. Mom used to say that Azula was like when you boil milk, if you take your eyes off it for even a second it'll expand and boil over, making a mess. Azula lied, she fought, she was a monster, she was evil. 

"Oh hello guys, hello Suki," Yue spoke from behind them and Zuko turned his head to see Yue, Ty Lee and Mai standing by the door, the princess of the Northern Water Tribe kept her eyes lingering on the Kyoshi Warrior, who stared at her right back, "Excuse us please"

Aang stood up and moved aside, "Sure thing, Yue. I really like your hair" The dagger expert's snow white hair was tied loosely in a braid 

"Yeah, it suits you nice" Suki said with a faint blush spread across her cheeks, was she okay? Sokka and Katara gave each other knowing looks (what did they know?)

Yue blushed and held her braided hair, "Thanks" 

Ty Lee giggled and moved a stray bang, "Yue's hair is really pretty! And so soft, I tried probably 50 different hairstyles on her when we were inside!"

And Mai sat through all that? That doesn't sound like her at all. 

He gave her a puzzled look and she sighed, "She wanted to learn how to throw knives and we were about to go out but then Ty Lee came"

"Sorry Mai, I just couldn't help myself!" The acrobat chuckled sheepishly 

"But now I'm ready! I might not get to be as good as you or Aang but I'm willing to try!" The 16 year old smiled

Suki hopped off the railing, cradling Momo delicately in her arms, "Are you serious? I've seen you with a dagger, you'll learn it no problem!"

Sokka and Katara began to snicker before she shot them a glare which left Zuko confused but he could focus on that later, the Firebender stood up and turned to Mai and Ty Lee, "Wait before you guys go, I need to ask you something"

"Sure, waste more of my time" Mai rolled her eyes but he knew she didn't mean it, her shoulders were way too slack for her to be vindictive 

"What do you guys think about Azula being here?" He asked which emitted the drawn out groans of the others. But they're all stupid, it was a good question! If anyone could understand Azula like him, it were the girls who grew up with her as well so he ignored the others, "Since you guys went against the Fire Nation, technically you went against Azula as well"

Ty Lee leaped off the stairs gracefully, "Well during the eclipse, I didn't really think about Azula- I was thinking more about helping Mai because I didn't want her to get hurt," She smiled, "But it's kinda funny how we all went against it at the same time, like it was meant to be!"

"I could care less about who I'm fighting with, I'm just tired of the Fire Nation," Mai folded her arms, walking slowly down the stairs, "As long as she doesn't try and boss me around, I'm fine"

"Yeah, if we're on the Avatar's side now, we aren't under Azula anymore. We're helping you all , not just her" 

The only thing either of them cared about was Azula no longer bossing them around and not being a total asshole anymore- that's it? After everything she made them do with her, the conquering, the fighting, they don't care that she's here? That she's here and could betray the little trust they all had in her at any moment? 

What the fuck is wrong with everyone? Have they all lost their damn minds? Was he the only one with sense? He's her brother and even he could say without a bit of hesitation that she was definitely planning something.

He watched as Mai, Ty Lee and Yue made their way over to the middle of the courtyard where the Avatar and his sister were.

 

"Hello Toph!" Yue greeted her warmly and the 12 year old ceased her violent attacks at the air with three whips of water

"Oh, hey guys," She smiled, cocking her head to the side to face the three, "You guys okay?" 

"Well, actually I was wondering if we could use the courtyard for a little bit. I wanted Mai to teach me how to throw knives, would you mind?" 

Toph grinned and shook her head, she opened her mouth to speak but Azula jumped in front of her, speaking before she could, "We were here first, so no. Wait till we're done or fight for the spot that is so rightfully ours!"

See?  

His sister was nothing but a selfish person who would rather fight than give up anything of hers. Zuko straightened his posture, ready to lunge at the girl when-

" Azula... we're all staying here," Toph scolded, "This is a shared space, that means we gotta take turns using things"

Zuko's eyes widened in the same way Azula's did, she whipped her head around to face the small girl, " What? You need to fight the Fire Lord! Compared to you, her training is-"

" Just as important," She spoke in a patient way that reminded him of uncle (he hoped he was okay), she turned her head back towards the three girls standing in front of her, smiling warmly, "Take as much time as you need, you guys. I think I better teach Azula some manners before anything else"

They chuckled as the Firebender growled, face flushed in either anger or embarrassment he couldn't tell, "I don't need to be taught anything, I know plenty of manners!"

Toph began to walk away, "Then come show me, first lesson to prove me wrong starts now!" Azula jogged after her

What the fuck?  

Did Toph just… stop Azula from fighting? Did she just blatantly insult her to her face and didn't get burnt to a fucking crisp? Mai, Ty Lee and Yue laughed and didn't just fucking die?  

The world must be ending, or he died and went to the Spirit World because that isn't supposed to happen. 





"-Then I realized that that cool rock I found was actually gold!" Toph laughed, "And that's the story of how I accidentally fucked with pirates!"

A couple hours passed and Zuko and Toph were sent out into the village closest to the summer home. They needed to buy more food because the measly supply they had left from last time was not nearly enough to feed all what? 15 of them? But Jet was good at knowing how much food would last for large groups so he had written down the list, gave it to them and they were off. 

They were shuffling back now after an hour or two of shopping at the market, Zuko holding two small bags while Toph carried a large basket made out of stone she had made just before they left. It was filled to the brim with fruits, vegetables and various meats. It looked heavy but she didn't look like she was struggling. 

Azula had stayed back at the house. If she were to go out, the people would surely spot the crown princess of the Fire Nation. Zuko could only guess what kind of shit she was scheming now that Toph wasn't by her side watching her. 

"I talked to pirates once, they were pretty okay. Though, I didn't steal any of their stuff" He hummed, his eyes adjusted to the orange tinted scene as the walked down the quiet dirt path, the sun was in the middle of setting

She laughed boyishly again and he wondered what exactly was it about Toph that made her so… convincing? Is that the right word, convincing? She was able to just… talk to people with such ease- something he always found hard to do without screaming. 

He had heard about what she's done. While they were traveling to Ember Island from the Capital, Jet had told him about how she had reached out and helped him. She talked him down from his rage and listened to him. She did the same thing with Hama, how Toph was able to break through her while getting Bloodbent with the prospect that her life was in the woman's hands, he'll never know how she kept her composure during those moments, let alone form coherent sentences. 

Before Zuko joined their side, nearly every interaction they had, she would always talk to him, tell him he had a choice and listen to every single word he said, absorbing and remembering it. She was able to piece together a lot of his life on her own with only scarce clues and statements from him. 

She was doing the same thing with Azula, just like earlier today. Zuko had realized that she nudged her in the right direction, informing her they were sharing and then made light of the situation. And Azula listened. The two had gone inside and every so often, Zuko would peek in through the windows to make sure Toph was alright. And she was. They were just… 

Talking. 

He had no idea of what but he could guess it wasn't about manners. The team had spent several days venturing to this island and the entire time, Azula didn't once travel on Appa and he didn't once travel on Wander. Toph and Azula, they had been talking like that for a while and he was curious of what exactly they were saying. 

Zuko thought back to the realization he had before they left for the Capital- how Toph… Understood him. She understood what he was going through not by learning but by… going through something similar. Something similar he doesn't know of, of before she met him or Aang or Sokka or Katara or Suki or anyone. 

He wondered if that was the reason she was able to do all this? To want to reach out and do it right

But how could she ever reach out to Azula? Reaching out meant understanding her. And what was there to understand?

"Can I ask you something?" 

"Of course" She grinned 

"You trust Azula, even after everything she's put us through, even after you have no idea if she's telling the truth or not, after all the terrible, true stories I've told you about her. And you still trust her," Zuko felt his palms heat up and he tightened his grips on the bags in his hands, jaw clenched, "Why? Why would you give her another chance? Why make such a stupid move?"

He heard a small sigh escape her lips and she shifted the large basket in her hold. Toph didn't speak for a long while, so long he nearly began to consider she was planning to ignore him but then she spoke, "If you think it's stupid, I'm not gonna try and stop you. I wanna give Azula another chance because it wouldn't be fair to her if I didn't"

"Who cares if it's fair? Was it fair that she nearly fucking killed you? Or fair that she conquered the Earth Kingdom? Or fair that she was the reason you weren't able to fight the Fire Lord-"

"You weren't there when that happened, you have no right to talk crap about it," She cut through his words sharply, staring straight ahead, "It was either Azula or the Fire Lord and I chose Azula. That was my decision so if you're gonna talk about unfairness , use a different example"

He blinked at the harsh defensiveness of her words, gawking down at her. 

If Azula wasn't there, they could have won the war but Toph seemed to think otherwise. How could she when she was there. This was Azula's fault, she shouldn't have been there. 

After taking a deep breath, Toph went back to speaking calmly, "Unfair things happen that we don't have any control over all the time. But there're times when unfair things happen that we can control- those moments we fight for. The fall of the Earth Kingdom, it was all planned and there was nothing we could've done. The invasion, they knew we were coming right from the beginning. But helping people who've suffered?" She said, "We can do something about that, we can help them and I want to help them because it wouldn't be right if I didn't. To be given an opportunity like that only to willingly let it pass by, it's wrong. It's probably the only thing I care about being right or wrong about morally to be honest"

She was right, as much as he hates to admit, she was right. Suffering can be helped, it can be aided and it could be healed. 

But this implies that Azula was a sufferer.

Zuko scoffed, "Azula's never suffered a day in her life," He couldn't help but say, turning his face forward as they continued to walk, "In father's eyes, I was nothing and she was everything . She was favored, got all the best tutors and the most prestige bending teachers when all I got was banished"

That wasn't fair, their difference in treatment. Zuko didn't deserve that hatred and Azula sure as hell didn't deserve that love. He suffered and no one came to help him, his sister did nothing - in fact, she revelled in the attention that was supposed to be shared. She didn't help him, why should he help her?

"This goes a little deeper than 'she could hurt us' , doesn't it?" Toph asked but he said nothing, his silence answering for him, "Just because her experiences didn't look like yours doesn't mean she isn't hurt too. You both are hurt because of the Fire Nation- because of your family. And I think if you were able to forgive Mai and Ty Lee-"

"I didn't forgive them! There was nothing to forgive! It was all Azula, it was always Azula!" He screamed 

Toph cocked her head up in his direction, "They were working with her, Zuko. They were part of the problem by never stopping her"

He froze. No, they weren't part of anything. They were victims of her terrible abuse just like he was. They were forced into complying with her. They don't like being told what to do by her. 

But they could've gone against her back in Omashu, when Toph had fallen, when Zuko attacked them. Mai and Ty Lee did nothing but help Azula, fighting Zuko along with her. They didn't stop her, they helped her. 

"You're right but…" He paused for a moment and for what felt like the first time, thought about his words, "It's not their fault, they could've done something but it was a weird situation. They didn't know they were doing bad"

"And neither did Azula"

Oh shit. 

____________________

Dinner was loud and boisterous, which was so unlike the quiet meals Azula would have by herself in the solitude of wherever in the palace she was currently working in. 

She couldn't remember the last time she had dinner with actual people- father usually took his meals in his study and after mother disappeared and Zuko was banished, she made sure to crush the idea of it with the hammer of reality quickly. But, last time she checked...

Dinner was usually eaten at the table, not huddled around on the main room's floor. 

It felt improper and so much different than what she was used to. But what sort of skilled combatant would she be if not for her ability to adapt? So Azula sat without question right by Toph's side, eating the bland sea soup. The Nonbender -Sokka- had said it had various bits of sea food mixed with eggs, it tasted so incredibly drab and she wished that they had picked up some seasoning. 

After Toph had left with Zuko to the market, Azula stayed out of the way. She scarcely spoke to anyone and felt as pathetic as a dog. Not just because she was practically counting down the seconds for the Avatar's return (though it was a big one) but for a number of other things as well. 

The Fire Nation, everything she had worked for, it wasn't lost, it was for nothing, she had realized. Her and Toph shared many conversations, mainly with the 12 year old talking her through what happened (maybe she actually was a therapist after all… ). Azula didn't share a lot when they first began a couple days ago while they were still traveling, Toph never pressured her to say anything more than what she was ready to. Gradually, she revealed more feelings, feelings she herself had no idea she was feeling. 

Just this morning after she and the Avatar had left the courtyard, they went inside and briefly went over what to say and not to say, apparently ordering and threatening people were only for training soldiers, not for making acquaintances.

Azula didn't understand the whole 'treat people the way you want to be treated' thing, she wants to be treated as a powerful being who could destroy you with the flick of her wrist (because she can ) but others weren't nearly as strong to be worthy of that kind of treatment. 

When she told Toph as much, she laughed and informed her that was the grey area. But she was referring more to showing respect and not yelling at everyone 'as fun as it may be', she recalled Toph adding. Azula listened with intent, never failing to give 110% in everything she does (which can be a bad thing she is learning?).  

"Alright alright! I got it this time!" Yue spoke excitedly over the loud talking of her peers. She has been trying and failing to throw her dagger and hit a tiny pot that was set up a couple feet away from her near the door leading to the kitchen

It was dark outside, and night had fallen a few hours ago. Sitting on her knees, the princess reeled her hand back for the 15th time already and flung it forward and it…

Missed. 

Again. 

"Good try, Yue!" 

Mai could've hit that in one try with her eyes closed, she thought and remembered what Toph had told her- or, well the voice of Toph she was hearing in those months after the Fire Nation captured the Earth Kingdom (that she was now realizing might have been her conscious that was so separated from her that it appeared in the form of the Avatar's voice?). That she should tell her friends nicer things more often. 

Setting down her bowl, Azula spoke, "Oh please, Mai could have done that in far less tries without so much as looking at it"

All faces turned to her but Sokka was the first one to reply with an over exaggerated scowl on his face, " Excuse me but Yue is trying her best!"

"It's her first day!" Teo had added with a laugh (see? She could learn names)

"Mai was able to hit moving targets over much further distances by the time she was nine" She folded her arms with a smirk

Aang beamed, "I wanna see this!" He grinned before pointing cheerfully at the 17 year old, who had barely looked up from her bowl, "Mai! Why don't you show us something!"

"No thanks" She said as she ate quietly 

"Aw whaaat?"

"What if as the Avatar I asked you to do it?" Toph raised an eyebrow with a sly grin 

"I'd tell you that I don't respect authority that much anymore"

"I'm not arguing with that, that's a good argument" The Earthbender shrugged as the others laughed 

They had liked Mai and Ty Lee, that much Azula knew for sure, her? Not so much. When she was speaking to Toph as she trained, she was aware of the conversations that whispered her name, they both were. Toph told her not to worry about it, that they will come around. It's just new, they just need to be patient which was far easier for the Earthbender to say, she was overflowing with patience. 

Azula had also revealed when they were alone inside how much she regretted what happened in the Caldera Volcano, with father. If she wasn't there, she wouldn't have gotten in the way and Toph wouldn't have had to save her. The war would have been over if she stayed out of the way. 

Toph had cut her off before she could finish those thoughts though, she told her she didn't have to save her, she wanted to. It was between her and Ozai and Toph chose her. 

Toph chose her. 

No one has ever willingly chosen her over someone else before, the only person who did that was father and well… look at how that turned out. 

"If she does it or not, I'm with Azula on this. Mai could pretty much do anything with a knife" Zuko spoke with a smile

That was… surprising. Azula felt her eyebrows lift at her brother agreeing with her. Her brother who hated her, who always sided with mother against her, who was just speaking of how she will inevitably betray them. 

Had… Had Toph spoken to him? When they went to the market? What had she told him that made him just the slightest bit warmer towards her? 

She could practically hear Toph thinking that this was a ' small step in the right direction'.

Sokka blew air from his mouth, "Of course you'd say that, Hottie. You and Mai are like best friends"

"That's not why I'd say that! I'm saying it because it's true!"

Sorry, is no one going to question that Sokka just called Zuko 'hottie'? Was that a nickname? Wouldn't Toph have told her about that? Was he… flirting? Is that what he was doing? Spirits.  

"Sokka, did you just call Zuko hottie?" At least Katara had some sense, questioning her brother

Azula watched as the Water Tribe boy's blank face flushed a deep red colour as he began to fidget in his spot, "What? No! I mean- yes but uh... HAHAHAHAH GET IT? HOTTIE? BECAUSE HE'S A FIREBENDER! I'M SO FUNNY!"

….

It was silent for a couple moments before Sokka groaned, shoving food into his mouth before he could say anything more stupid. The group erupted into boisterous laughter and Azula found herself chuckling as well. 

Notes:

Azula's first day wasn't the BEST but like Zuko's, it wasn't the worst! So I say that's a win!!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, be sure to leave a comment to tell me what you thought!!!

Chapter 10: Relationships are HARD

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

At this point, Zuko and the others have been at the summer home for a couple days now, idly passing the time with training and other useless trivial activities. The courtyard was shared and Azula never once made a fuss about it aside from that one slip up on their first day.

That day, Toph… made sense. Granted, she had told him many (many, many, many) time before that Azula didn't know she was doing wrong to an extent before, but it wasn't until he believed that Mai and Ty Lee didn't understand that what they were doing was wrong and then she applied his train of thinking to his sister. 

Obviously the rabbit hole on why exactly he hates Azula goes much further than that and Toph understood that, the walk back and even some time while making dinner was filled with him sharing his feelings and thoughts regarding his sister as Toph gave thoughtful nods and logical responses. 

That day plus the others following, Zuko had come to the conclusion that he was angry (surprise surprise). He was angry that he had experienced so much pain in his life, both physically and mentally, while Azula came out totally unscathed. 

But it wasn't the case, Toph hadn't gone into detail both in respect for Azula's privacy and because she did not know all the facts as of yet but she had told him the same thing she had told him a million times before: ' Azula went through things too, just because it wasn't as noticeable as yours didn't mean it doesn't exist'.

It was such an incredibly difficult idea to wrap his head around. He was confused, he wanted to ask Azula what happened in her life but apparently that was 'personal' and 'her choice if she is comfortable in sharing' and 'Zuko, are you serious?'

But even with his newfound wave of understanding and growth, he still believed that his sister was and still is capable of great evil. 

Toph said things take time to begin changing. With time, his view will change, maybe not completely but it will a little. But she had also stressed that he has to let go of the image that has been building in his head about his sister for years, which will be… harder

Ty Lee, who had recently changed her hairstyle in an effort to 'really show the new me!' Was sitting on the steps of the stoop outside in the courtyard, Jet was sitting in front of her on the step right below her's, she was tying little pieces of his hair with a handful of brightly coloured bows tied in it. 

Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail, replacing her previous braid, and her bangs were parted messily to the right. It wasn't a big change but it was a change nevertheless, and she looked nice. 

He and a couple others of the team were all sitting together on the steps. He, Ty Lee, Mai, Jet, Sokka, and even Azula had just arrived a little while ago.

"How're you liking your hair?" The acrobat asked the boy, leaning down slightly 

Jet raised up a small hand held mirror and examined his hair, it wasn't that bad actually. He hummed in thought, "I think I need another bow. You got any purple ones?" 

"I'm sure Zuko might have" Mai chuckled from beside him

Mai's hair was different too. Her hair was pulled tightly into a bun that was tied with a copper coloured ribbon which was a more noticeable difference compared to her double buns and long, hanging strands of hair from before. 

Zuko frowned, hair tied up in over a dozen bows sloppily holding his black locks. He looked like a fool, "Shut up" 

"I think you look great! You should wear your hair like that all the time, Zuko" Sokka shot him a cheeky grin before wrapping an arm around his shoulders (why did that make Zuko so nervous all of a sudden?) 

Mai leaned her chin on her hand, "Shouldn't you do something with your look too, Azula?" 

His younger sister hadn't done anything with her hair, probably because she still hasn't left the estate yet. He wondered how she would style hers if she does. 

"Oh yeah, Mai's right. You should do something with your hair," Sokka nodded, searching his chin, "The entire Fire Nation can spot you a mile away" 

Zuko heard a gasp from his side as Ty Lee's hands shot out from Jet's shaggy brown hair, "I can do your hair for you, Azula!" 

Azula was standing off to the side of the stairs, arms folded, "A very tempting offer," She hummed slightly, "Very well, I will consider it" 

Zuko wanted to know what happened to her. What made Toph so sure that Azula had suffered when he didn't even know? They grew up together, so why didn't he know anything? His entire childhood, he had never gotten love from father, Azula would always get it. She got everything she ever wanted and he knew it was unfair.

It frustrates and angers him, he just wants to know

" Airball!" 

Aang shouted in the middle of the courtyard at Toph, who rolled her hands in repeated circular motions, pressing out several balls of air that made the boy spin. 

"Air swipe!" 

The Avatar swiftfully slashed her arms forward, taking steps forth as she did so. 

"Air blast!" 

Toph lunged forward and propelled a strong jet of wind, blowing gusts of air in Zuko and everyone else's faces. 

The 16 year old huffed, pushing himself to his feet and after shaking out all the bows and clips from his hair. He stomped over to them and grabbed the collar of their shirts, lifting their feet off the ground and pushing them apart, "Alright, no more Airbending training. It's my turn now" 

These two give him so much of a damn headache it's not even funny at this point (it never was either). Do you see him or Katara disrupting the peace when they're teaching Toph? No! Because they don't! They know how to teach, and apparently Aang… Doesn't...

Wait…  

Zuko paused for a moment before turning to the Nonbender, "Wait, why're you even here during Toph's training? You're not an Airbender" 

Aang blinked in response as Zuko let go of both of them, "Oh uh well… I mean- who doesn't like helping their friends, right? Not that I can be of any help! You know, since I'm a Nonbender and definitely not an Airbender! Because they've all been dead for 100 years!" He stammered out nervously (why was he nervous?), Ty Lee, Jet and Mai blinked at the boy's words while Sokka face palmed and Azula raised an eyebrow, "That reminds me! I had a dream last night where I was the Avatar! But I ran away from home and ended up frozen in an iceberg for 100 years and Sokka and Katara found me in the South Pole and we went on really cool adventures and then I saw Toph in the swamp but it wasn't actually her! It was a vision and she was actually a secret wrestler who-!"

"Yep, I loooove hearing about your dreams, Twinkle Toes," Toph smiled nonchalantly before turning her attention to Zuko, "He's uh... my moral support. And he is like my great, great, great grandson. I think he has plenty reason to be here. I'm babysitting"

"Yeah! Babysitting!" Aang agreed 

Oh boy here we go with the stupid great, great whatever grandma talk again. He was so tired of it, honestly. 

Zuko groaned, "Well no more babysitting, your Firebending lessons start right now" 

"Aye aye, Sensei!" The Avatar grinned as Aang laughed 

Zuko shook his head with a low grumble, at least she didn't say Hotman. He hated that stupid nickname. 

After Aang walked over to the stoop and Zuko and Toph moved slightly further so everyone who was sitting on the steps was a safer distance away from all the fire they were about to unleash, he began. 

"I noticed your Firebending got way better since the eclipse, that's because of that thing right? The uh… what was it called again?" He asked as he took off his shirt

"Fire sense! Now I'm not guessing where the fire is based on where someone was standing, I can see the fire- the heat!" She grinned and stepped on her right foot, punching the air as a hot stream of bright orange fire sprayed from her fist, "It makes everything so much easier since now I know exactly what to do!"

Her skill of sight, it was… impressive to say the least. 

Toph had discovered how to see the fire in the air and the heat in the bodies of others all on her own (she thanked adrenaline). It was a new type of Firebending, a new skill for people to learn and she made it up. He supposed her skill was due to all the extra, late night training he had always woken up to her performing.

It reminded Zuko of Azula.

How Azula's fire wasn't always blue. It used to be orange like his when they were younger but as she grew better, she discovered blue fire, hotter than the normal flame and was the first in history to ever do it. Toph's excelling in bending was so nostalgic of his sister. 

"Well if you can see where the fire is, I'm sure you will have no problem with fire missles" 

Zuko whipped around and- speak of the devil, Azula was standing in front of them, smiling with her hands on her hips. 

Toph looked extremely interested, " Fire missles?" She turned her attention to him, "Ooooo, what's that?"

"You didn't teach her that yet, Zuko?" 

"It's an advanced form of Firebending, she's not ready for that yet" He spoke back, Azula truly sounded well meaning right now, it was a little hard to get angry but he will certainly keep his guard up just in case

"I'm ready! I can learn it! What is it?" 

His sister smiled at the Earthbender, "It's essentially long streams of fire that a Firebender can control to follow their target," Azula shrugged, "If you can see the fire now, I have no doubt in my mind that you can perform this effortlessly"

"Azula, she can't-"

"How do I do it!?" 

Zuko stood behind Toph and placed his hands on her shoulders, squinting at Azula. He had to end this before it got too out of hand, both Toph and Azula grew excited quickly over power and strength, "Azula, no. She's not ready yet, go away!"

The 14 year old blew air from her mouth, "Zuko, Toph created a new form of Firebending. Not just anyone can do that, I have faith she can control the direction of a mesly flame"

"She could hurt someone!" 

 

"Well if it makes anyone feel better, I think-" Toph was interrupted before she could finish her thought 

"We're both masters, aren't we? If anything, we can stop it," Azula argued before looking at the small girl who's hands Zuko still had on her shoulders, "Toph, lift your arms and make a flame"

She nodded wordlessly, getting out of Zuko's light hold and raising her hands. 

"Toph, don't you dare," Zuko threatened, " I'm your sensei"

She put them back down to her sides, " Uh..."

"Uh, I'm sorry. Are you a better Firebender than me?" His sister asked rhetorically

"Well I'm teaching the Avatar, not you!" He shouted, stomping closer so they were right in each others faces

Azula checked her nails nonchalantly, "Last time I checked, a couple months ago you were trying to kill her"

"YOU DID THAT TOO!" He screamed and without looking away from his sister, he screamed, "Toph, practice your flaming arcs!"

"Don't, I can show you the fire missiles!"

"Flaming arcs!"

"Fire missiles!"

 

"Flaming arcs!"

"Fire missiles!"

Toph squeezed herself in between them, "Why don't we do both? You both can teach me!"

Whether Toph truly meant that or she just said it in order to get them to stop fighting, he didn't know. But it certainly worked, the siblings shut up immediately, gawking stupidly down at the small Avatar.

"Excuse me?" Azula asked

"Toph, what the fuck?"  

"Okay okay, hear me out- you both got your own strengths, right? Zuko, you've been teaching longer and know how to go about it. And Azula, you know a lot . You both are master Firebenders, think of how fast and how much more I can learn if you two work together!"

The siblings stared at her for a moment longer before exchanging looks between each other. Zuko had half a mind to believe that Toph was only saying this to get them to bond but he knew it was false. Toph needed to master Fire, and she needed to master it fast . They have no idea when they're planning their next strike against the Fire Nation but they do know it is soon. She was already fighting tooth and nail to stay on top of all her elemental training; she needs Fire. It's the element she's practiced the least since her training only began not too long ago. 

"Hm… I suppose that'll do," Azula nodded to herself before glancing at him, "What do you think, Zuko?" 

Holy shit, did Azula just ask what he thinks about a situation? Azula? Maybe Toph really was getting through to her, he shrugged, "As long as we get on with training, I don't care"

The Avatar cheered, leaping 20 feet into the air, " Yes!" When her feet touched the ground, she was still grinning "You know the saying, two hotmans are better than one, right, Hotman sensei?" 

"That's not a saying- and stop calling me Hotman!"

Azula snorted, " Hotman? Don't tell me you mean that embarrassingly outdated slang"

"Ignore her, she's an idiot," He sighed exasperatedly, "Go as hard as you could on her" 

They began teaching, and he had to admit it was understandably weird and shaky at first. 

Neither him nor Azula had taught someone together (hell, she's never taught someone ever ). They talked over each other, disagreed over which formations should be taught first and continued sending petty one-liners towards each other that left Toph biting her lip in order not to laugh at (because the second she laughs, it is automatically assumed she picked a side and chaos will ensue). 

They ended up agreeing on practicing the flaming arcs then do a gradual shift towards forms of increasing difficulty which would be the fire missiles that both Azula and Toph were both endlessly eager to perform. Azula was passionate about her bending, it was her craft

Over training, she and Toph spoke of different moves, of how Toph was beginning to incorporate different styles of bending into her other elements, blending Earthbending moves into Waterbending, Airbending into Firebending and so on. 

Azula would nod and add how Firebending has become so stiff compared to how flowy and lively it used to be before the war- she studied history of not just the Fire Nation but of Firebending itself as well. 

But… They made a surprisingly good team. Zuko's teaching experience and stricter style combined with Azula's albeit dangerously encouraging style with her vast knowledge and obvious more skill, they were able to overcome many problems during their lesson and tackle Toph's weak points in the art. 

Toph sent forth a spiraling ring of fire, it enraptured the large slab of rock she had brought up from the ground as a dummy, "How hot can I make a fire? Like ever?"

"Hot," Zuko was standing off to the side, watching her fight, he unconsciously touched his scar, " Really hot"

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw that Azula noticed this touch, she then shrugged, "Though, my flames are much superior. You should be lucky to have me as an asset to this team with as hot as my flames are"

"I'm pretty sure every Firebender thinks their flames are the hottest" Toph snorted, kicking her leg into the air, a jet of fire shot blazed from the sole of her bare foot 

"Yes, but I am the only one who can support it," Zuko watched as Azula smirked, her hands lighting aflame, showing off her brilliantly perfect blue flames, "My fire is blue, it's obvious to anyone who catches sight that mine are far better"

The Avatar raised an eyebrow, "Fire can be different colours? I thought they were always… I dunno, red or something?" Oh right, Toph can't see. He always forgets that 

"Fire can be all kinds of colours, usually they're red though" He explained casually 

Azula then pridefully added, "Yes but I created the blue fire" 

"Yes, and Azula created the blue fire" 

"Holy shit, that's awesome!" Toph stopped practicing to turn to beam at the two, "Does that count as a sub-bending? I mean, it was discovered so I think but is it any different? How did you figure it out? Would the colours depend on how hot your flame is? I heard that fire can be caused by a ton of different things: salts and alcohol, and stuff, would that affect anything? Or-or how about if you light a certain substance on fire, even if yours is red, could it still affect the flame itself? And if fire comes from your chi, does that mean your chi is changing the colour?" 

Okay, that was a lot. 

"One question" Azula said 

The Avatar then pointed excitedly at Zuko, "Is your fire blue too!?"

"Oh uh, no. It's red" 

"Well, it's more of an orangey-yellow" Azula corrected 

He turned to her and he knew that she was just trying to annoy him, just like she did when they were kids, though this was much more harmless than what she used to do (that's new). And although he knew what she was doing, he couldn't help but growl, "It's the same thing"

….

"Well, is it?" Toph asked 

"Not at all," Azula informed the girl and Zuko was about to refute but was interrupted by his sister, "Oh calm down, Zuko. The whiter a flame is, the hotter it becomes, I'm complimenting you!"

"What colour is my fire?" 

"Yours is much more orange, which is exceptional for a beginner. I'm sure that your flames will match Zuko's colour one day"

Toph and Azula conversed as Zuko groaned.  





The three had been outside for about two hours at this point, their friends on the stoop having left a long time ago already, so it was just the three of them outside in the courtyard. 

Training was going well and they were a wonderful team for the reasons stated previously but Zuko just couldn't help but think about it again, he and Azula were a good team. That's insane.   

He wouldn't have thought he would have lived to see the day where he and Azula were actually working together, much less with the Avatar. It was quite funny really, how much his life has changed in just a few short months. Not too long ago, he would have rather died than teach the Avatar anything with Azula no less, but look at him now. 

That isn't to say he is 100% alright with his sister, no way. But… at least now he knows he doesn't have to be so on guard all the time, more so with the comfort of knowing Toph was right by him. If Azula snapped, she could just encase her in rock, or just put her gift of reaching people to good use once again. 

"Remember, Firebenders use their chi to create fire. That means your chi is in that fire, focus on that" Azula spoke clearly

Toph was facing away from her stone dummy a couple dozen meters away with Azula right by her side, she was teaching her the fire missile. At first, Toph didn't understand how in the world she was supposed to control her fire but then Zuko brought up the chi example which Azula praised (is this even his sister?), after that, things went smoother. And with only a couple bumps, Toph was able to land every hit.

The Avatar nodded, bulleting a ball of fire forward. He watched her fireball shoot forth only to curve, soaring forward and landing square in the middle of the rock. He was impressed, she's a fast learner and not to mention an overachiever. And that was only fueled further by Azula, who was also an overachiever. 

"Let's stop for today, we got a lot done" He said because he was sure if he didn't end it, they would both go on for the rest of the day and well into the night 

Both girls both gave him confused faces that just screamed ' stop now? We're only just warming up' but Toph was the first to cave, with a sigh and a smile

Her right fist pressed into the bottom of her left hand's palm and bowed at Zuko, the signature greeting and portray of respect of the Fire Nation, "Red Hotman," She smiled and bowed to Azula, "Blue Hotman"

He was… Red Hotman now? And- holy shit, Azula was-

He cackled as Azula shook her head frantically, "Oh no. Nonononono ," She pointed at her chest, "I am not 'Blue Hotman' . My name is Azula" 

She really just gave them nicknames based on the colour of their fire, huh?

Agni, is that fucking hilarious . At least now he doesn't have to deal with that terrible nickname alone. The only bad part is that his nickname had gotten even stupider with the word red added to it. 

"I know, but your name is also Blue Hotman now" 

" No it's not!"

Toph cocked her head to the side with a grin, "Why? Who doesn't like having two names?" 

Feeling as though he was an integral part of this conversation as well, Zuko asked, "Do you have two names?" 

"Several actually!" She beamed, she began counting on her fingers as she raddled off names, "Toph, Avatar, Blind Bandit, the greatest Earthbender in the world, the list goes on really"

"Well I think you forgot annoying on it" Azula crossed her arms smugly as Zuko snorted 

The 12 year old gasped, " Annoying!? I'm not annoying!" 

"Uh, yeah you are," He smiled before nudging his sister's arm with his elbow, "You should've seen it when I was still trying to kill her"

The Firebender frowned her brow and smiled, "Don't tell me she was talking about how you 'still have a chance' before I came as well"

" Yes! She was! Is that even a question? And it was annoying because I was trying to kill her! It was crazy, I thought she was insane!" He laughed, "And then she kept talking to Uncle!"

Azula laughed as well, "Why am I not surprised?"

"He wanted to have tea with her!"

Azula howled with laughter which only made him laugh harder. Because, holy shit Toph really was this annoying kid who just wanted everyone to be okay and it was hilarious what lengths she went to achieve that! He loved Toph, he really did but spirits!

The idea of her and Uncle Iroh sitting down and having a nice, calm cup of tea with some Pai Sho while holding a very knowledgeable and wise conversation about the tediousness of philosophy and exchanging therapist advice was fucking funny!

They were both laughing so hard that his eyes began to tear up. In his blurry vision, he could faintly make out Toph, who was standing in front of them still. Her pale face was now beet red, spreading from her cheeks, nose and all the way to her ears. As terrible as it is to say, it made him laugh harder.  

 

Were they both insanely indebted to Toph for continuously giving them second chances? 

Yes.

Did she deserve the embarrassment and ridicule after all those terrible nicknames? 

Also yes. 

" And-!" He wheezed, "And she had this stupid fucking banjo!"

"Wasn't that the thing she hit me with back in Omashu?" She asked in between guffaws

Holy shit- "I forgot that happened! Fuck , that was priceless!"

"In the Earth Kingdom, she-" Azula laughed again, placing her hands on her knees as she was literally crying, "I'm pretty sure she played it to a herd of badgermoles!" 

"HAHAHAHA!"

Finally, red-faced Toph had enough, "My banjo wasn't funny!" 

Neither of them heard her, they only laughed harder and she huffed, stomping a heavy foot and the ground gave a mini tremor. The siblings nearly lost their balance which made them laugh even more so. 

He was only half aware of her marching off, utterly embarrassed. 

In the small sane part of his brain, Zuko might have felt just a little bad for embarrassing her. He knew that Toph wasn't hurt by the words, just flustered. He called for her in half jumbled words as he was still wheezing with enjoyment but she was quickly gone. 

But come on, that was hysterical!  

The two continued howling for a while before their laughter began to die down. Eventually, they were reduced to small chuckles and heavy panting, trying to recover and catch their breath. 

That was nice. He needed a good laugh and what better way to get that than by making fun of people? The whole team understood that, they were all kids after all. 

"That was funny"

"Yes, I agree"

After their mini, riotous high was over, the two stood in comfortable silence, snickering quietly every so often. 

Laughing felt so good, laughing with his sister felt strange though. He couldn't even remember the last time they had shared a laugh like this- if they ever did as sad it is to admit. He recalled fondly frequent moments like these with mom, she always made him laugh especially when he was feeling down. 

"You have any more stories?" He asked 

"No, not that I could think of"

… 

Fuck, did it get awkward? 

Wait no, Toph please come back. It's so awkward without her here, neither of them know how to fucking talk to people. Shit. 

Quick, say something to keep the conversation going. 

"So, Sokka's kinda handsome, right?" He said

"What? No" 

"Oh"

…. 

Fucking shit. 

…. 

"I'm going to go" They both said at the same time before blinking at each other 

He's gonna fucking kill himself, holy shit.

They both sped off in opposite directions.





That was terrible! They just fell apart once it was just the two of them! What the fuck!? They were talking so good when Toph was there! Why!? What happened?! It's so fucking embarrassing! 

Zuko ran as quickly as his feet could take him to-to… okay, he doesn't know, all he knows is that he cannot stand to be in that courtyard any longer! 

Fuck, this was karma for making fun of Toph! She probably did some kind of magic Avatar voodoo to make sure they fucking suffer! 

Why him? Why couldn't he have said something good instead of… whatever he said to his sister! They were doing so good, talking and conversing during their teachings! Why couldn't he have kept that? 

The Firebender found himself inside the main room of the summer home, sitting at the long wooden table were- oh thank the spirits, Sokka and Katara! 

It was probably the first time any of them here actually used it. They were sitting next to each other in front of a map that Sokka was studying but Katara didn't look to be paying attention to the paper as her brother was, lazily tossing a glob of water in her hands on the seat to his left. 

Zuko sat down in the chair on Sokka's right, now the Water Tribe boy was sitting in between the Firebender and his sister. The Firebender lifted the boy's arm and placed himself under it, burying his face deep into Sokka's chest and making a loud, obnoxious, muffled groan.

Was he stupid or just really stupid? He just wants to disappear forever, or crawl into a hole and just die. 

"Uh… What's wrong, Zuko?" He heard Katara ask 

Zuko didn't move at all from Sokka's, keeping his face still in his chest and holding his hand so Sokka doesn't try to remove it from his shoulders, "Me and Azula were kinda getting along then things got awkward and embarraaaassing "

Honestly, he didn't even wanna admit it to them. He just wanted to sit here and fester in his shame but he did want help as well. 

But the first person he usually goes to help is Uncle Iroh but he's in jail and the second would be Toph and he just flustered her so much that she needed to take a mental break from everyone. 

"Oh, well have fun with that" Sokka said nonchalantly, turning his attention back to his map still laid out on the table

"Uuuuuggggghhhhhhh" He groaned louder than before and Katara shot her brother a glare 

" What?" He asked Katata, "Isn't fixing Zuko and Azula's weird relationship Toph's job or something?" Sokka looked at Zuko and patted his head with his free hand, "Where's Toph? Go get her"

In turn, the Firebender sat back up straight, removing Sokka's arm from his shoulder and bit his lip, "Umm…"

Katara sighed exasperatedly, " Spirits , what happened, Zuko?"

"Uh, the reason me and Azula were getting along… we were kinda making fun of her," He looked up at them with a guilty smile on his face, "That her banjo was stupid and how annoying it was how she kept giving us second chances"

Don't get him wrong, he was so grateful that Toph was able to see through him and give him a chance ( after chance, after chance, after chance, after-) but he did have to admit, at the time it was incredibly annoying considering she was always talking while he was trying to kill her. 

And that banjo… 

He doesn't feel bad about what happened to it back in Omashu. 

Sokka laughed and covered his mouth, "I mean, her banjo was stupid"

" Sokka…" Katara spoke her brother's name in a warning tone before turning her attention to Zuko, "We'll listen to you talk if you apologize to Toph later, okay?"

Zuko nodded, he was feeling a little bad about it anyway, "I can't remember the last time me and Azula were laughing together like that. I can't even remember ever laughing with her"

Sokka and Katara exchanged a series of looks, as if they were holding an entire conversation right now with just their faces. They were so close, so much closer than he could ever see himself become with Azula. 

He and Azula, they were just too different. They didn't value the same things, they couldn't understand each other the way Sokka and Katara understood each other. They didn't have a secret language, they couldn't have comfortable silence, they could argue without trying to kill each other, they didn't have… that. 

They grew up under the same roof but they didn't grow up together. 

Azula was always with Firebending senseis or practicing or with Father while he was with mother at the pond or with Uncle and Lu Ten. They never laughed or joked or did anything Sokka and Katara did as siblings. Toph and Aang weren't even related and have known each other for a much shorter amount of time but they were still so much closer. 

It was weird to laugh with her and he knew it was weird for her too. They never had that, so to have it all of a sudden… 

"Just because you and Azula never laughed together doesn't mean you can't laugh now," Katara spoke first, her and Sokka's facial conversation must have ended, she reached over her brother and placed a hand on his shoulders, "There's always time to make it up"

"But you and Sokka, you guys are so close. I don't think we could ever have that"

"Well of course you can't! You're not us, you guys are you. You're gonna have your own relationship like how me and Katara have our own," Sokka said as a matter-of-factly, "You can't compare your relationship to others because your relationship isn't like the others because they aren't you guys like how we aren't you" 

"But so much has happened…" It was too late. They couldn't ever fix what happened to them from since they were very little

Sokka shook his head, "That doesn't matter, well- it kinda does but neither of you are how you used to be," He smiled slightly, "When we first met both of you guys, you both tried to kill us and now look at you! You're helping us, both of you"

Katara nodded, "Yeah, I gotta say I'm kinda warming up to Azula but don't tell her that. Siblings always have this weird relationship, they can get close because they lived together. Me and Sokka were the only kids our ages in the Southern Water Tribe"

"Sokka and I" Her brother corrected

"Shut up, Sokka"

"See? Look how close we are!" Sokka grinned just a little too wide and just a little too forced as he grabbed either side of Katara's face and tugged at her cheeks harshly

"Sohka! Qhuih ih!" She shouted, words messed up from her cheeks getting pulled as she shoved his hands away 

"We just love each other, and you and Azula can do that. I mean, you already got the cain instinct down, now you just gotta get all that communication" 

"Sokka's right, Zuko. If you think you wanna have a relationship with your sister, I say go for it. If you don't think you're ready, that's okay, you have plenty of time. Now," The Waterbender stood up, "I'm gonna go find my girlfriend and make sure you assholes didn't completely crush her self esteem"

Katara began to walk away before he saw Sokka turn his head around and say, "Yeah, you would go and look for her"

"Shut up! Sorry I'm trying to be a good girlfriend, you jerk!" 

"Yeah yeah, keep telling yourself that" 

Katara grumbled and stomped away and Zuko almost thought they had a fight until he heard Sokka cackling to himself. 

So that wasn't a fight, right? That was just them being siblings with the… cain instinct? He has no idea what the fuck that is but he assumed it meant something with wanting to hurt your sibling all the time. 

"So you think me and Azula can laugh like that again?" 

"I don't see why not," Sokka smiled as he started to roll up his map, that was when Zuko knew this continued must have been important to him. Sokka never puts his maps away for anyone, "Look, I get it. I get how it must feel to have to be the older brother to a sister who you know is a little gremlin but no one else seems to get that, who you feel is just so much better than you despite their terrible personality" 

He and Sokka were in the same boat well, his experiences with being seen as lesser was much more extreme but still. Azula was the prodigy, the intelligent one, the favored one, the better one. And he was just… Zuko. The late bloomer, the loser of the Agni Kai, the banished prince. 

"You… you feel lesser compared to Katara?" He asked sincerely

Sokka wasn't less than Katara. He was strong, and funny, and smart, and-and… and amazing. He was an amazing swordsman and always had the wittiest one liners and could talk circles around anyone! He was the one who made most of the invasion plan and he invented the fucking submarine! And hot air balloons! 

He wasn't less than Katara, he was so great and Zuko would gladly spend all of eternity telling him so until he had gotten the idea.

The boy shrugged, eyes downcast, "I used to… a lot. But Katara, she helped talk me through it. Well, it wasn't really talking- I accidentally admitted it once and she just screamed at me saying," He grabbed Zuko's shoulders and shook him, screaming with a voice much higher than his pitch to mimic his sister, " What's wrong with you, Sokka!? You're so smart and amazing and you're my brother and I love you so much! Don't talk about yourself like that or I swear on Gran Gran that I will fucking kill you!"

Sokka took his hands away and Zuko blinked, "Oh, wow"

"Yeah, she can be alright when she wants to be. I mean, obviously those feeling didn't go away or whatever but she helped me through it a lot and don't tell her this but," He looked back and forth comically before whispering, "I really, really appreciate it"

Zuko was bent forward, their noses just barely touching as he whispered back, "Why wouldn't you tell her that? Isn't that really nice?"

"She gets a big head and it's my job as the older brother to knock her down a couple notches every once and awhile," He shrugged, "But seriously, those thoughts about being less than your sister, they're not true. Me and Katara are equal, we depend on each other. And you and Azula could do that too, it might take a long time but you could do it, but only if you want to"

Zuko and Azula can get close, they could depend on each other, they could laugh, scream, cry to each other. They could be close. 

But only if they want to.

____________________

Azula was sitting on the black sand of the beach outside the summer home. The sun was in the middle of it's set and warm orange and yellow rays of light shot from it, twinkling against the sea. 

She has been out here for a long while, ever since her and Zuko's awkward conversation from earlier. She was never all too well at conversing if not talking about war or arson. They had quite literally ran away from each other just to escape that cursed silence, she found herself in the quiet solitude of the beach and couldn't help but wonder where her brother had gone. 

Toph was sitting by her side, she had come out about an hour or so after Azula came and sat down silently beside her. They had sat in silence for nearly two hours already. 

Silence with Toph was different from silence with Zuko. With Toph, she's dealt with every blow, every burn, every shock. She can understand Azula, they were strong, and had passionate drives to be the very best in their craft. Toph was sturdy and resilient, she had the wisdom to deal with anything Azula said or didn't say. She was patient, she could wait in silence for all eternity and then some, it didn't bother her one bit. 

Zuko was different however. In all the ways Toph was patient and listening, Zuko was loud and blaring. He needed not necessarily the stimulation but more of that he was expecting… something. Azula assumed that something was her attacking him. His guard had noticeably lowered in these past few days but it was still there nonetheless (she wondered if it would always be there). 

"I… apologize for earlier," She spoke through clenched teeth, "Even though I believe it is all true, I understand that I must have hurt your… feelings"

Toph turned her head towards her, unseeing eyes focused at her chin, "That sounded painful" She chuckled, a grin picking up in a lopsided but strangely charming way

"Well is that not why you're here? For an apology? I believe I've made you wait long enough" She huffed slightly, puffing out her cheeks 

"I wasn't here for an apology, I just wanted to enjoy the sand," Toph grabbed a small handful of the black sand and let it fall through her fingers, "But thanks, I appreciate it"

"Well I might as well tell you that right after you left, neither I nor Zuko stuck around for very long. Things had gotten a little… well, awkward once it was just us," She admitted and it felt good to admit it, leaning back on her hands, she exclaimed, "And it was pathetic really! I had no idea what to say to him and I'm sure he felt exactly the same"

The Avatar smiled, her lips picking up more on one side than the other, "Well did you honestly expect anything else? You guys haven't exactly spoken alone in what? Three years?"

Azula found herself sighing, "More than that…" She glazed upon the sparkling sea, "We were never close, but I'm sure you've gathered that already"

"There's still time, there'll always be time. Things can change whenever, all you have to do is be ready to take that step"

"Your words are very inspiring, I have to give you that but it is much easier said than done, Toph" Azula brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them 

"I know," The Earthbender laid down on the sand, her hands coming up and resting behind her head, "But you don't need to do it alone, you got me and I'm not one to give up so easily"

She rolled her eyes, "I'm well aware" 

There was so much to be done, did she even have time to focus on her and Zuko's relationship. Toph said bonds are important, that without them we could fall apart. But now she was a Firebending sensei, there was a war to end and a Father-... a Fire Lord to stop. 

It was quiet for a while as Azula traced a finger over the headpiece that had tied up her hair in her tight, royal bun. The waves singing were the only sounds that filled the air, "If I ever wish to leave this depressing house once in awhile, I have to change my hair"

"I heard Ty Lee had done some nice styles for her and Mai, you could ask her to do yours," Toph was about to say more but stopped herself, she hesitated for a moment, "I think whatever you chose to do with it with be fine"

Azula nodded silently, subtly reaching a hand into her pocket. Her fingers lightly grazed the knife hidden away that she had asked to borrow from Mai. 

If she was going to do this, she was going to do this right. Even if it did go against every single shred of common sense in her body, every instinct, everything she had been taught and learned not to do up until this point. 

The blade was sharp and warm and she wasn't sure if it was because of the Fire Nation's heat or her own anxiously hot hands. 

Suddenly, Toph stood up, "Welp, I think my moment to leave's come. I'll be inside if you need me, okay?" 

Azula says nothing as she watched the Avatar begin to walk away, as she walks, Toph calls out without turning around, "And try not to cut yourself on accident!"

____________________

It was late, night fell and the moon had risen. Zuko thought carefully about Sokka and Katara's words from earlier, something that was almost foreign to him; thinking.

It wasn't too late, he could still have a chance. He had no idea how to feel about that. He and Azula were just so different, even if they did have a chance to rekindle, what would they do? What would they talk about? How could they ever understand each other when they both have completely different points of views on everything? 

And does he even want to? The little voice in his head that vaguely sounds like a combination of mom and himself is screaming at him, don't trust her, she's a monster, Azula always lies. 

Befriending Azula, trusting her, it goes against everything. Everything he had ever thought was wrong was turned upside down. It would challenge the deepest, strongest morals of his in doing this.

Yes, his guard was down slightly but that means anything. All it means is that he didn't think she was going to snap and go crazy in one second. They worked so well together today, Toph had praised them on their teamwork. They made such a good team...

He came down from upstairs, walking into the main room where Toph and Jet were sitting together on the floor. He was holding up a long, thin slab of stone as Toph carved in the outline of… something with her finger. It had a rounded, circle bottom and a long, vertical, rectangular top.

"I'm gonna make sure it's the most perfect version anyone's ever seen," She mumbled to him, "Then no one'll say it's stupid because it's so awesome, Flower"

He smiled as he continued to hold it, "I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done"

What the fuck were they talking about? Whatever, that wasn't important. Walking up to them, he lightly tapped the Avatar's back with his foot, "Have you seen Azula?"

"She's outside on the beach," She said before finally tearing her attention away from the stone, and grinned cheekily at him, "And Katara said I should be expecting an 'I'm sorry"

Is she serious? She's not even upset! She's smiling! 

He twitched, "No way"

"Hey," Jet scowled darkly at him, somehow that stupid flower in his mouth made him even more threatening, " Apologize" 

Toph's shit eating grin only grew wider as Zuko huffed, "Alright, I'm sorry. Fuck, I'm going" 

Jet smiled, "Okay, bye Zuko" 

"Bye, Red Hotman and thank you for the apology!" 

Her annoying cackle was the last thing he heard as she marched out the front door, slamming it behind him. 

It was incredibly dark out but he supposed that was what they got when they couldn't put the torches up because people may suspect there could be someone in the abandoned house. Zuko began walking down the zig-zagged, dirt path that trailed down the property. His eyes following upwards with every step he took until he saw Azula. She was sitting on the sand, her back facing him as she looked out into the dark, cold ocean. 

He squinted, what was she doing…? Her arms were raised up behind her head, she was clasping her hair in one hand tightly, her other holding…

A knife. 

He stood frozen, unable to move as he watched her chop off her hair. 

Azula lowered her arms, the hair burning blue in her grasp as the only remnants of her action was smoke and a blade.

He stayed standing there for a long while, eyes the size of dinner plates as if still processing what she had just done. Azula herself didn't move either, she had no idea he was there but it looked as though she was also processing as well. 

Silently, Zuko went over to her, crouching down behind his little sister and placing a hand on her shoulder. She jumped slightly, she must have been extremely absorbed in her thoughts in order not to notice him coming. 

She turned her head to face him, her eyes looked shiny and her mouth twitched and he was reminded of when he had chopped off his phoenix tail.

Her young face was twisted in that painful, familiar way of when you're trying so hard not to cry. He could practically see her swallow the lump in her throat as she croaked, "It's such a trivial thing after all- hair" Her voice cracked

Zuko said nothing. 

It's not trivial. Not to the Fire Nation, not to them. Hair is a sacred part of their culture, it should always be remained untouched unless in the times of dishonor or death. It was important and it meant a lot. The others didn't get that.

They were the only two who could understand. 

Neither was sure who initiated it but they were hugging, Zuko had stopped crouching and had fallen to his knees, wrapping his thicker arms around his younger sister. Azula buried her face in his shoulder as her strong arms came under his, tightening around his chest. He didn't know if it was him shaking along with the soft sobs or her. 

Maybe it was both. 

Notes:

ALRIGHT!! First things first, YOU GET A NEW HAIRSTYLE, YOU GET A NEW HAIRSTYLE, I'M LIKE OPRAH WITH THIS SHIT!!! Azula cut her hair!!! She cut her hair like Zuko did!!!!! The fucking SYMBOLISM BITCH. IT'S LIKE A FULL CIRCLE and Zuko is the ONLY person to understand what she was going through with doing such!!! Hair is tied to honor, something they both value!!!! He understood what she did and what it meant, he GETS it!!!!!

And speaking of Zuko and Azula, CO TEACHERS!!!! I've wanted to do that since I started even PLANNING this story!! I always wanted Azula to have a redemption and to teach Firebending alongside Zuko! IT'S IMPORTANT TO ME AND TO THE STORY!! THESE BITCHES WILL BOND

HHHHHH I just really like this chapter, it's probs one of my favorites in book 3 besides Heat Circulation (chapter 8)

I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!!! Be sure to leave a comment to tell me what you think of it!!!

Chapter 11: Sisters Suck <3

Notes:

There's a nice song I added at the end of the chapter, it's called Beautiful Love and it's by Tanya Chua! Check it out!!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"HYA!"

The sounds of grunts and the fooshing of fire filled the air as Toph battled against Zuko and Azula. They were at the beach from the summer home, and the others watched with half attention. 

Sokka and Suki were sitting extremely close together, their shoulders pressed right up against each other, sitting on a large rock with Aang sprawled out across their laps while Katara was standing the closest to the ocean, practicing her bending. 

Toph leaped out of the way from one of Azula's fireballs, rolling to the ground and landing on her feet. Barely having a moment to recover, she back stepped out of the way from a harsh wave of heat spraying right at her.

She growled and charged forward, a smoldering dagger of fire in each hand as she swiped at Azula, who smirked, relling back from every hit. 

Zuko stormed up from behind the Avatar, but she knew where he was- the water his veins carried, the air that bounced off him, the heat in his body- it was all so obvious. Toph whipped around, swiping her leg at his, causing him to fall. 

Using the advantage of keeping it two against one, Azula jerked forth a flaming fist, only for her hand to get shoved upwards by the back of Toph's wrist, sending a hot burst of brilliant fire upwards into the air. 

It's only been a week and a half since Zuko and Azula began co-teaching and Toph was already noticing enhancements in her Firebending. She felt her flames grow hotter, she had much better precision, and her Fire sense had improved greatly. 

Azula and Zuko really made a great team, maybe if they worked together when they were trying to kill her way back when, they might have been able to do it (just might , she's way too amazing to die). 

But now she's good enough to decently hold her own against the both of them at the same time, though, she did understand they could be holding back a little bit.

With all her elemental senses combined, she was able to read and predict her opponent's next moves which gave her an incredibly unfair advantage to whoever she will ever be up against- not that she cared though, she was strong and everyone will remember that fact soon enough when she's the best Avatar in history

Azula was much faster than Zuko. By the time he had jumped to his feet again, Azula and Toph were tying in an intense, fast-paced hand-to-hand combat. The 14 year old swung another flaming fist to which Toph caught and followed up with her own, Azula used her free hand to punch it away but their strength was matched. They continued flinging fists and fire mercilessly. 

Azula's hair was really different now, having chipped off a good portion of it a while ago. She had allowed Toph to feel it: it was short, reaching near the middle of her neck, and smooth, silkey and so much more tame than how her's was when she had cut her own hair. 

Zuko sent forth a wave of fire missiles that the Avatar had leaped to the right in order to just barely miss. When the flames had continued to follow her however, she waved her arms, creating a large wave of fire and overwhelming his with her own. 

After a while more of battle, the three came and thought that three and a half hours was enough and decided to stop for the time being. 

Zuko stretched and went to take a seat right next to Sokka, to which Aang, who was still laying on his and Suki's lap, merely rested his legs on Zuko as well. Azula sat down on the sand, back resting against the giant boulder.

Normally after lessons, Toph would continue practicing forms without her sifu but today was different. 

Today was a very important day, a day that will forever be marked down in the history of forever. 

She stayed standing, hands held innocently with a large grin on her face, "Now that I'm done training with sensei Red Hotman and sensei Blue Hotman-"

"What did I say about that nickname" Azula twitched but Toph knew she adored it, her heart never not skipped a beat whenever she spoke it, as if in disbelief she had earned a nickname from a friend 

"I have something that you all should be honored to have eyes to see, something of the utmost importance," She moved from her heels to the balls of her feet, "A presentation if you will, or more a very important announcement" 

"You only dated Katara to get to me because you secretly have a crush on me?"

"No it's…" Toph began speaking but opened her eyes, "What?" 

Sokka shrugged, "What? I think it'd be a very interesting plot twist if you did" 

Zuko chuckled, "That's a good point, it would certainly make things interesting"

"Maybe you should start liking Sokka!" Aang rolled onto his stomach, "For the drama" 

Azula raised an eyebrow up at the kids on the rock, "We're in the middle of a war, what more ' drama' could you want?"

Katara ambled back towards the rock and away from the sea, having caught most of the conversation, "Alright, you guys are all insane" 

"What? Scared Toph actually does like me more than you?"

The Waterbender blinked at her brother before turning her attention back to the Avatar, "Why don't you just continue, Toph?" 

"Alright!" The Earthbender began walking backwards, towards the summer house, "I'll be right back, I have to go get it!" 

Before anyone could say or ask anything, Toph was gone, zooming off using Airbending with only a large trail of dust to be left in her trail. 

…. 

"Who else thinks that whatever she's getting is possibly going to be the stupidest thing on the planet?" Sokka asked 

"I hope it's something cool, maybe she found another lemur," Aang said, "That way Momo can have a friend."

"As long as I don't need to go to a lemur wedding along with a bison and a badgermole one" Zuko spoke, leaning into Sokka more with a tired groan 

"I'm sorry, what?" Azula perked up and right, no one invited her to the wedding yet 

Suki shook her head, biting down a smile, "I'll explain later" 

Toph came dashing back to the beach, rushing at the same speed as she left- that was quick. 

She stopped short, digging her heels into the sand with a large grin on her face as she held her hands behind her back, presumably hiding whatever she wanted to show them.

"Anyone wanna take a guess what it is~?" She asked cheekily 

"Well, seeing as it can fit behind your back," Sokka checked his nails absentmindedly, "A sword?" 

"Nope"

Aang sat up, "A staff?" Toph shook her head again

"Wait, we said sword already?" Zuko asked 

Suki glanced at Zuko before speaking, "Do you fight with it?" 

"Well, I guess you could. I mean, I did ," Toph explained as vaguely as she possibly could, "But it's not what it's made for" 

The group sat in silence for a moment. What in the world could be used in battle without it being its intended purpose? It could be anything really: a rock, a knife, a fucking pipe, a- 

Azula's eyes widened as her face dropped, she seemed to figure it out which made Toph giddy, " Oh no…"

Somehow the Earthbender's grin stretched wider, "Oh yes!" She exclaimed before whipping out the mystery object from behind her back, revealing- 

"BANJO!?" Zuko screamed 

Yes, it was indeed a banjo. 

But not just any banjo, a new banjo. But unlike other banjos, this was made entirely out of metal. It was roughly the size of Toph's previous, beloved one and was in much better shape and condition as well (it was new after all).

Sokka whined, covering his face, " I thought we saw the last of youuuuuu…"

Toph slung the instrument's strap over her left shoulder and held it securely in front of her, the familiar weight brought immense comfort that she had no idea she was missing, "I've been working for it for a couple days now, Jet helped a lot. First I made an outline of the shape in stone then I went to work, Metalbending pots and pans together until I finally got it the way I wanted!" She grinned, "And the best part is, it's made entirely out of metal, there's no way it's breaking this time!" Toph strummed the strings, "Metal banjo is here to stay!"

The Water Tribe boy hopped off the rock and walked in front of the Avatar, bending his head down slightly, "I'd rather die than listen to that thing again," He pointed at the back of his head, "Make it a quick one please"

"Oh come on, it sounds fine," The 12 year old turned her attention to the others, "I have a great voice, someone even gave me a free mask because of it"

Zuko folded his arms and mumbled, " Yeah, to get you to shut up probably" Those words caused Sokka to snort 

"There's this one song, ' Mo Li Hua'. It means jasmine flower, you'll love this one, Zuko!" Toph spoke as she quickly tuned her banjo 

Aang cackled and leaped off the large rock and over to the Avatar, "Ooo! I dunno if I ever heard that one before!" 

The two children began to walk to the dirt path that led to the summer home with Toph's fingers dancing on the few strings of her banjo, singing as they strolled away. 

"What a beautiful jasmine flower-"

"What a beautiful jasmine flower-"

"Sweet-smelling, beautiful, stems full of buds-"

Toph felt the others begin to follow them back to the home, a series of groans coming from both Sokka and Zuko. Suki and Katara didn't seem to mind it while Azula was still forming hesitant opinions on it.

"Fragrant and white, everyone praises-"

"Let me pluck you down-"

"Give to someone else-"

"Jasmine flower, oh jasmine flower!"

"This is gonna be a looong day..." Sokka grumbled 

____________________

As far as Azula was concerned, Toph's banjo was nice enough. 

She admired the work put into creating it, how she used her more than advanced skills of Metalbending to make something (even if it was a really, really… interesting choice). The music wasn't that bad, not that she would ever admit that though. They could be friends, she could be her sensei and Toph may have helped her a lot but Azula still knows that the spirit of the world is a… well, a bumpkin. 

Zuko seemed to harbor a strong dislike for the instrument though, it was all he talked about today with her. 

Ever since they began teaching together and she cut her hair, her and her brother have been making silent attempts to at least speak. It seemed they had a quiet agreement to try and make slow amends. They've shared conversations about their interests, what they have been doing lately, nothing too serious. And so far, things have been fine. 

But there was one thing that has been bothering her for a while now… 

Azula took a seat next to Katara on the steps on the courtyard, and not being one to dance around a subject, she got right to it, "I have a very important question to ask you" 

 

"I'm not gonna break Toph's banjo! How many times do I have to tell people this?!" 

"I- what? No, that's not what I was going to ask," The Firebender blinked, what the fuck? "Have people asked you to do that?"

She nods exasperatedly, "Like you wouldn't believe: Sokka, Zuko, Mai, tons of people," She huffed, "They think that because we're dating they think she's not gonna be upset! And why would I even do that anyway!?"

It had only been around two hours since Toph showed everyone her instrument. Has it gotten that annoying that quickly already? She assumed that it just had a very… acquired taste (not to say that she actually enjoys it, just appreciates the work that went into it). 

"You like her music?" She decided to ask her fellow 14 year old instead. Obviously she wasn't going to break Toph's banjo but she didn't seem to complain when she was playing before 

Katara's cheeks flushed as she looked away bashfully, "Well… I mean, I don't mind it…" She admitted, "Before her old one broke, she used to play songs for me, it was cute"

Okay that's fucking disgusting, don't mind Azula as she goes to throw up her brains. She doesn't care that the Avatar and the Waterbender are together. It's just… affection, gross

"We'll come back to that," Azula said as she moved closer to the girl, "I just needed to ask you something"

"Oh alright"

"My brother and your brother, do they… you know, share... feelings for each other? Surely you understand where I'm coming from, right?" 

Her suspicions couldn't be off, they never were . Certain things were a little too much to be anything short of a coincidence. The other day, Zuko asked her if Sokka was handsome as if he believed he was handsome. Does that idiot even realize he likes Sokka? 

Frankly, she had no idea that Zuko even liked boys (did he even know himself?) But then again, they've never been close. And to be fair, she was sure he doesn't know that she likes girls so she supposed they were even, not that it mattered.

But was she right? Did he like Sokka? Or better yet, did Sokka like him back? Azula trusts her instincts because they are never wrong, all she needs to know is if it's true. And who better to ask than Sokka's sister (because she knows that both would rather die than admit it, it's funnier this way). 

 Katara let out a long, drawn out moan, " Uuuugghhh , sadly yes. I do know where you're coming from"

"So do they?" 

"I mean, I'm pretty sure. But I don't wanna say anything because if I'm wrong, Sokka would never let me forget it," She explained before adding, "You know how annoying brothers are" 

Ah yes, annoying brothers. This is definitely something she can relate to, she nodded in understanding and nonchalantly said, "Zuko cried once when we were younger when I told him our father was going to kill him, like that?"

It was true, it was because father had disrespected Uncle over the loss of his son, grandfather Azulon then ordered him to kill Zuko as punishment. It never happened though, grandfather died of mysterious causes.

Azula is very relatable, every family has a moment like that obviously. Annoying brothers crying over the fear of their father killing them, that's normal of course. 

Katara blinked, "Uh… no, not really"

Or not, that's fine too. More things to think about. She could ask Toph about it next time they have their little therapy session.

Master of playing off moments like those, Azula rested her chin on her hands, "Oh well"

Now what? How will they find out for sure without blatantly asking their brothers? Well granted, they could but they will obviously lie if they do (not that is a problem for Azula, she will know) but if they decide to do anything about it, Sokka and Zuko will see it coming a mile away since they had asked them. 

"You wouldn't happen to know of any way we could find out right now with 100% accuracy, would you?" 

Katara sighs, "No… I wish I did but-" Suddenly, she sits up straight and freezes, " Actually , I might have a way"

And that's how Azula ended up getting dragged halfway across the courtyard to Toph, who was sitting on the ground, tuning her newly made banjo with Wander curled up against her. Azula might have found the sight cute if it wasn't a banjo and a three ton badgermole.

While getting dragged by Katara, she asked, "I'm confused, why're we going to Toph for 100% accuracy over Zuzu and Sokka's feelings?"

Azula couldn't think of a single reason why they would go to Toph of all people right now. Sure, she was perceptive but with 100% accuracy? Avatar or not, that didn't seem very possible unless they also confined in her like how Azula did.

You know what, at this point she wouldn't be surprised if everyone here even knew them because they were all Toph's therapy clients. 

"Since Toph can sense a person's body, she can feel their heart rate and their pulse and other things like that. It basically makes her a human lie detector and for our case- she would definitely know if Sokka and Zuko like each other by their hearts" Katara explained casually as they walked 

Oh, okay. That's what she meant when she could feel the heat in someone's body with Fire sense. So what about her other elemental senses? Did her Water sense allow her to see the water in someone's body? What did she see with Air and Earth sense then? 

Well, regardless Toph can not only detect lies but also be able to understand how a person is truly feeling based on just their heart. So that's how she's such a good therapist. Makes sense. 

Actually no, it doesn't. 

What the fuck?

In a couple seconds, they were standing over Toph, who stayed on the ground. She didn't take her attention off the instrument as she says, "I don't think I've felt so at peace in months" 

Is it possible for someone to get addicted to the banjo? Because Azula is sure she is watching the reverse of a withdrawal. 

"That's great Toph, I'm glad you're so happy but we need to ask you something" Katara prompted  

The Earthbender lowered the banjo slightly and cocked her head up face at them, "Don't tell me you want me to break my banjo too, I can't tell you have many people already told me to" 

Katara shot Azula a knowing 'I told you so' look before looking back down at her girlfriend, "No, we need to ask you something. Something about Sokka and Zuko-"

"Do they like one another? Romantically of course" She finished for her 

Toph stared in the space right in between them, blind eyes large in process. She then goes back to playing a couple chords on her banjo, "Not at all"

As she spoke those scarce words, the corner of her mouth twitched and Azula noticed her breath come out slightly sharper. And Toph turned her head down way too quickly. 

She was lying.

The Firebender stomped a heavy foot down on the pavement right in between Toph's legs, causing her to jump slightly, "You're lying" She spoke through a stern face

"Whuh- I'm not lying!" The Avatar argued, leaning back as far as she could against Wander, who didn't seem to care that his friend was in some minor trouble, "How would you even know!?"

Katara raised an eyebrow at the girl standing by her side, "Yeah, how would you even know?"

Without breaking without concentration on the 12 year old sitting under her, she answered, "Because I was bred for war, that's how"

She watched as Toph relaxed a little bit and sat up, "You wanna talk about that?" 

Oh fucking shit. Azula shook her head and growled.

"Don't change the subject!" She yelled and pointed a finger down at her, "You're lying!"

" Toph, we'll ask again," Katara folded her arms, " Do Zuko and Sokka like each other?"

The girl in question turned her attention back down, fiddling with the strings and tuning keys of her instrument, "I uh well… I mean, if they do or don't it's really none of our business and we should respect their privacy and-"

" Toph…" Katara called her name again 

"I mean, if they did, which is the question… it'd be okay- it's just that- if we were to find out anything...It's not fair if… if…" Her words began to trail off and now this was just getting annoying 

"Oh please, this is ridiculous," Azula rolled her eyes, "How many times have they made remarks about your relationship with Katara? Or about your lovely banjo? This is just getting back at them, and who doesn't deserve a little payback once in a while?"

Her words seemed to get the cogs turning in Toph's head because she didn't say anything for a long moment. At this point, who cares about privacy? Everyone here was so nosey that it was hard for someone to not find out something about you. 

Hell, everyone here knows that she's basically an embarrassment to her Nation and that all the work she had done was nothing, that it didn't matter because the Fire Nation was twisted and messed up. If she can't have anything to hide, she's going to make sure her brother won't either (she isn't going down alone). 

"Yeah, they like each other. Sokka's liked him for a month, month and a half and Zuko for about two weeks, but to be honest I don't think he realizes he likes him," She grinned and sat back against Wander again, "But they do like each other, a lot . Me and Wander's been hearing their heartbeats forever ," As she said that, the badgermole let out a sound that Azula assumed to be one of agreement, "Do what you will with that information" 

Simple enough, now they know for sure. But… Toph doesn't look to be getting up. Azula gave her a look of curiosity, "You don't want to join us on whatever scheme we will create? You will be a very valuable asset" 

She shrugged with a smile, "I trust you two'll serve justice well," She then scratched the fur on Wander's side, "Plus, Wander wants to listen to some music" He groans in affirmation at the comment, practically telling the two 14 year olds to beat it 

Azula and Katara began to walk away and as they did, Azula listened to the other speak mischievously, "I've been preparing for the day I get to embarrass Sokka in front of his crush my whole life so I have a lot of ideas!" She exclaimed, "What about you? You got anything?"

The Firebender smirked, "Oh, I have plenty"

The sound of Katara cackling almost evilly convinced Azula all that she needed;

The two of them will become a very good team. 

____________________

Sokka strolled through the large summer home, the only place where he was safe from Toph's annoying music. He couldn't believe she made a banjo, what the fuck? And he can't even hide it because it is going to be on her person until the end of time and if he somehow does manage to get it, she could find it no matter where it is, it's metal! She can sense that!

Maybe he could put it on a high shelf? No, there's Airbending or her and Aang would probably stack on each other's shoulders or something. He'll think of something though, he just needs some peace and quiet, away from people and definitely away from… Music...

As he made his way from out the kitchen, he walked into the main room where he stopped as he heard-

"And there was this one time where he had this chunk of ice that he tied a piece of rope around and said it was his best friend!"  

Mr. Freeze? Why was Katara talking about him and more importantly, to whom? 

Sokka stayed by the doorway of the kitchen, peering out from the corner to try and eavesdrop on his sister's conversation. His ears filled to the sound of Zuko's laugh, his stomach dropped and he could just feel his face drain of all colour. The two were sitting on the long, red couch in the main room.

Fuck! What the fuck, Katara!? Why is she telling him that? Look, there was that one time in Omashu where he let it slide when she told Suki but this was different! This was Zuko! The asshole who will make fun of him because of that! And he likes that asshole!

The Water Tribe boy growled as his fingers dug sharply into the doorframe, cursing to himself.

"That's really fucking funny, do you have any more stories?" 

"I grew up with Sokka, I know all his most embarrassing moments"

Sokka's face regained its colour only to flush red as he could only stand and suffer as he listened to his sister prattle on (and on, and on, and on, she never shuts up) about alllll the dumb things in his life. 

That time when he was being a jerk when he was seven and chased her only to slam into his snow fort, it toppled over and fell right on him, burying him in nearly four feet in snow. And that when dad finally found him, he was crying his eyes out. That was scary! He thought he was going to die!

Or when he chased a young polar bear dog once, it came back with its mother and he pised his pants and ran away. Again, valid reaction. He believed once again that he was going to die. 

But neither Zuko nor Katara seemed to think so. They only saw it as a wonderful opportunity to laugh at his expense! Fuck Katara! She doesn't need to be telling him all that stuff! Oh, just wait till he sees Toph. She's gonna find out about all the worst things his sister has ever done! 

She is so dead when he gets his hands on her… 

Wait, when? He could just kill her right now and reclaim his glorious title of an only child again! Just how it was for a year until she was born and cursed the world with her presence! Yeah! He can kill her now!

Sokka cracked his knuckles and jumped out of hiding, he was about to march over there and give his sister not just a piece of his mind but a piece of his fist but a hand on clasping his arm had stopped his movements.

"Sokka, I've been looking all over for you!" His eyes followed up the arm on his and led right to Azula, she was smiling and holding a brown book in her free hand 

He pulled his arm out of her hold and started to walk away, "Uh, hey Azula. I'm kinda busy, I'm gonna go murder my sister, you of all people get that, right?" 

"Oh of course, siblings can be such a bother. I was just looking through the house and guess what I found? A photo album," She grinned and held up the book, "More specifically, Zuzu's photo album. There are photos in here from when he was a baby all the way to about nine years old"

A photo album? Of Zuko? Sokka stopped walking, this is truly a once in a lifetime experience.

"Would you like to see?" She asked, "I believe I saw a picture of him in the most adorable sailor outfit that you've ever seen"

Okay, how could he say no to such a tempting offer? 

"Katara dying can wait, right now is baby Zuko picture time" Sokka said cheekily 

"I had a feeling you would say that" 

Azula spent the next ten minutes giving Sokka the most embarrassing backstory on every photo she pointed to that seemed to get worse every time she flipped the page. Baby Zuko with his butt in the air, fell right off the table after the picture was taken. Toddler Zuko holding a sleeping bird, it woke up and bit his nose and left a bright red mark for days afterward. Eight year old Zuko holding the single worst drawing Sokka has ever seen in his young life with paint all over his smiling face.

It wasn't until he awed just a little too loudly at the sight of a four year old Zuko in an adorable dragon costume did anyone think to hear them. 

Zuko, who was in the middle of a story of Sokka that Katara was telling him, jerked his head around the couch to the sound. He saw Azula and Sokka standing in the doorway of the kitchen, standing over the photo album. 

"Wait Zuko, I'm not done with my story yet," Katara said, trying to fish him in, "Don't you wanna know what happens after Sokka accidentally set his ass on fire?" 

The 16 year old was already standing up, "Yeah in a second. Just gimme a minute to check something"

When Azula noticed he was standing up (and that their fun was almost over), she laughed and shouted at the top of her lungs, looking accusingly at Sokka, " WHAT WAS THAT SOKKA? ZUKO'S HOT? WELL I AGREE, HE IS A FIREBENDER AFTER ALL- WHAT? OH! YOU MEANT IN THE ATTRACTIVE SENSE?"

What the

Fuck. 

Zuko fell back on the couch in surprise, "What?" 

" WHAT!?" The Water Tribe boy shrieked in disbelief before turning his head towards the Firebender, "No! I didn't- I didn't say that! I didn't say anything!"

Katara looked over the couch as well, next to Zuko, "I just heard you say it, Sokka. Don't lie"

Oh he'll fucking kill her. 

"I'm right next to you, I heard it as well. Anyway," Azula nodded in agreement before holding up the photo album again with a large grin, "Who wishes to see more of Zuzu's baby photos?" 

"WHAT!?" Smoke sprayed from Zuko's nostrils as his entire face engulfed in a burning red hue 

Katara held her hands together, "Oh that sounds wonderful, Azula and definitely not something that was planned at all!" 

"No, it doesn't!" Zuko screeched before pulling himself to his feet and jumping over to Azula in one motion. He tried to snatch the book out of his sister's hands but she yanked it back in time, " AZULA, GIVE ME THE BOOK!"  

The 14 year old only pressed the flat of her hand against his cheek and shoved him away, raising the book with her other hand, "I don't see what's the harm in sharing a little bit, Zuzu!"

" NOT WHEN IT'S THOSE PHOTOS!" He screamed, " YOU KNOW THAT, AZULA!"

While they screamed at each other, it gave Sokka time to think for a moment. It's a little funny how both Katara and Azula were sharing very personal things that could ruin the boys at nearly the same time… 

Oh spirits, this was planned. 

But why? Did they find out about his crush on Zuko? Was this payback for all the times he's made fun of Katara? How did they even find out-

….

Remind him to kill Toph later. 

So this is just Katara and Azula teaming up to be incurably irritating, annoying, terrible little sisters. 

"-DON'T SAY YOU'RE REVISITING OLD FAMILY MEMORIES BECAUSE NEITHER OF US WANNA VISIT THAT SHIT, AZULA-"

"ZUKO!"

The Firebender froze, mid rant in yelling at his sister who had a look of smug content across her face, she didn't even seem to be looking directly at him. 

"They're just being bastards! They just wanna embarrass us!" Sokka explained, purposely leaving out how it's because Sokka has a crush on him 

Very, very slowly, Zuko cranked his head down to look at Azula. She smiled at him and gave an innocent shrug, "It was so good thinking about old times, wasn't it, Zuzu?" 

" AUUUGH, YOU'RE THE WORST!" He shrieked, tangling his hands in his messy dark hair 

Sokka grabbed one of his hands and started to tug him along, "Come on, Zuko! Let's just get the fuck out of here!" 

They quickly rushed up the stairs of the house, the last thing they heard from downstairs were the annoying giggles from those two little hellspawns. 

Spirits does he hate girls. The only girls he actually likes are Yue and Suki, why couldn't either of them have been his sister? They're so much cooler and nicer and totally wouldn't embarrass him in front of his crush like Katara would- or really did! 

How could she have done that to him!? Why would she do that? He wasn't bad bad when it came to making fun of her and Toph-

Okay, maybe he was. But she deserved it! With all the yelling and complaining she does, it's hard not to be mean to her! And Toph, oh come on. Katara was dating a banjo playing, dirt loving, ex-wrestler . Those qualities only canceled out since she was the Avatar so that just leaves her at net zero! 

He loves them both with all his heart, don't get him wrong. They're just… so easy to make fun of, the possibilities of what he could say are endless!

The two boys ran into the room closest to the stairs once they reached the second floor, slamming it behind them. 

"I hate them… So much" Sokka groaned, slumping down on the ground 

Zuko sat down against the door with him, "Girls are the worst… Well, except Ty Lee and Mai, they're cool"

"And Suki and Yue"

"Yeah, them too" 

Sokka's eyes drifted to the Firebender sitting on his right, they were so close together and Zuko was so warm. And despite it being over 100 degrees here in the Fire Nation, he wanted nothing more than to wrap his arms around him and never let go (and maybe get a kiss or two but that's a different story).

He and Zuko, Sokka was never able to relate to someone like he did to him. They understood the hardships of feeling lesser than, of being judged blatantly, of the annoying sisters, of the feeling of hiding who you truly are. They bonded over swords and making fun of people and hating the banjo. 

Everytime Sokka would open a map to create his schedules, Zuko would come and sit next to him. He would say that he was studying the map as well but Sokka knew that Zuko always has a hard time reading them. And whenever Zuko is Firebending, Sokka holds his shirt for him and watches him train. 

They were close and Sokka looked at him the way dad looked at Bato. He wanted to squeeze his warm hand and hold his handsome face and never let go. To create ugly sculptures in the sand just to get him to laugh. To wrap his arms around him in the way Katara does to Toph at night when they sleep. 

It seemed that ever since their first initial swords lesson, the Water Tribe boy just couldn't get the prince out of his head. He was consuming, spreading to his every thought like… like fire. Zuko was fire, the heat that made his face hot and the red that would follow. 

He was fire, he was beautiful, he was trying, and passionate, and impulsive, and never knew when to shut his mouth and got along way too well with his sister, he was amazing.

Zuko was all these things to Sokka but…

What was he to him? 

Sokka felt something poke his finger, he looked down to see a small piece of paper slide under the door. With a quick glance at Zuko to make sure he wasn't paying attention, the boy grabbed the sheet and analyzed it quickly.

'The love I harbor for you is hotter than the flames I burn,'

'These hands that create such destruction simply wish to hold yours,'

'The hands you use to build, to write, to create. You're so smart'

'I'm not good with words, but I want to let you know,'

'I will gladly give up it all, just so I can delicately lay a kiss on your face-'

Oh okay, bad idea. Very, very bad idea!

" Spirits-!" Sokka cursed, tossing the paper in front of him. His sudden shout caused the Firebender next to him to jump

"What happened!?" Zuko asked as he reached for the paper. Sokka watched as he slowly read each other (he's a slow reader) before his entire face flushed red

"We found that in Zuko's bag!" Katara called out from the other side of the door

The 16 year old's hands set aflame, burning the paper into nothing more than ashes. He stood up and screamed at the door, "STOP GOING THROUGH MY STUFF, ASSHOLES!"

The girls outside giggled which only seemed to further frustrate Zuko as his screams did nothing to scare them. Honestly, Sokka wouldn't have been all too scared either. First of all, it's Zuko and second of all, they're both arguably the best benders in their element, they don't really have the small tantrum of the hot head to fear.

"I'm gonna kill them right now"

Sokka stood up, placing a hand on his shoulder, "We'll do that later, right now we just gotta find a way to get out of this room, because I don't think either of them are gonna let us out without bothering the shit out of us," He then turned away from the boy, mumbling to himself, " Well, maybe it we both charge at exactly the same time, it could give us some time to make a run for it… No, they'd catch us…"

How in the world are they going to escape? The door of this room was their only option, maybe they could wait it out? Katara wasn't patient at all but Azula? Sokka was sure that if she truly wanted to, she could outwait Toph.  

Zuko could just burn the house down, sure they won't have any place to go as he plans their next attack but hey, at least their sisters aren't harassing them anymore. 

"No, that wouldn't work. What do you think, Zuko?" Sokka murmured to himself, and when there was no answer, he turned around, "Zukoooo OOOAAAAAH!" 

During his mini planning session, the Firebender had opened the window. As Sokka turned around, Zuko grabbed his hand and jumped out the fucking window. 

Again, out the window. 

The fucking window. 

"AAAAAAHHH!- oof!"

It seemed that Zuko did actually think this stupid move out because right under the window of the room, laid Appa in the courtyard. The two boys landed on his plush, furry back. 

However, that didn't stop Sokka from being as pale as a ghost, he could physically feel his spirit leave his body after such a terrifying feeling. 

He laid down on the bison, who hardly acknowledged their presence, " Yeah I um… I'm gonna uh, I'm gonna stay here for a while…"

"Did you just jump out a fucking window?" Mai asked surprisingly calm, she was sitting on the fountain next to Smellerbee, they were playing some sort of card game

Zuko, seemingly unfazed from the jump, just climbed off the bison, "Yeah," He pet Appa's side and thanked him, "Katara and Azula are being really fucking annoying right now"

The moment Sokka had finally gotten off Appa, he was jumped into a hug by Yue, wrapping her strong arms around his shoulders and squeezing him tight, "Well I should hope so! They're probably just so happy for you! I know I am!"

….

What?

"What're you talking about, Yue?" He asked, gently praying her off himself 

Ty Lee came up to the three with a smile, "Katara and Azula said that you two are dating, that you've been for a while but were too scared to say anything!"

"I totally called it by the way," Suki said, "I knew you two had something going on"

"There's no need to be scared! We love that you love each other!" Yue beamed

That they're…

Dating. 

And they…

Love each other.

Sokka took a big, deep breath and smiled calmly at Yue, placing his hands firmly on her shoulders as he spoke very gently, "Yue, I love you so much but if I talk to one more person today I am going to lose my mind," He kept smiling softly, "So me and Zuko -Zuko get over here- me and Zuko, we're gonna go now and no one is gonna tell Azula and Katara where we went, okay?" 

...

The group nodded wordlessly as Sokka grabbed Zuko's stunned hand, dragging him away. 





After the two had marched away, they walked around the beach in the front of the house aimlessly for a while. 

The sun was beginning to set and Sokka and Zuko found themselves at the far end of the beach, out of sight from the home where their stupid sisters can't find them. 

"Today was… something" Zuko said after their long while of not speaking, they were leaning against a giant rock, watching the orange sky sparkle against the vast ocean 

Sokka huffed and rubbed the back of his head, "Yeah, talk about a headache"

Honestly, it was just Sokka's luck that not only did he have to hear the terrible music of the banjo again for the first time in nearly four months but he had nearly had his crush revealed in front of his crush by their twisted sisters. 

Right now, all Sokka wanted to do was watch the sun set… 

With Zuko , he supposed. 

The logical part of his brain didn't trust Azula and Katara's words when they claimed to have found that poem in Zuko's bag. They were just being annoying and probably wrote it themselves. 

But the other, much smaller part of himself- the hope. He wanted to believe it. That somehow Zuko liked him back, that he liked him back as much as Sokka liked him. That he was just too scared to admit it, scared of his reaction.

Having a crush in the middle of a war, it's scary. Forming relationships, platonic or romantic in the middle of a war is scary. What if he confessed and Zuko miraculously returned it and then he died on the battlefield? Sokka already has terrible nightmares of everyone he loves dying, that he couldn't be there to protect them, he doesn't need that to be ever more fueled.

But Zuko was strong. He was a master Firebender and a skilled swordsman. And honestly, too stubborn and stupid to die. He could take care of himself, he knows that. 

Sokka wondered if that terrible poem did belong to him, was he ever going to give it to him? How would he have done it? Would he have been bold and just handed it to him or get someone else to? 

The possibilities made him curious but he knew there was no way of finding1 out now, the paper was ashes and there was no way Zuko would ever admit to writing it- if he even did.

"What do you think made them pull all this crazy shit today?" He couldn't help but ask, he had to know what Zuko thought, had to know if he was onto him or not

He watched the Firebender shrug, their shoulders pressed up against each other as they stood side by side against the rock, "I dunno, they're both insane. Maybe Ty Lee thought we liked each other or something"

"Yeah, but they were wrong"

"So wrong"

...

"Zuko-"

"Sokka-"  

They both turned their heads to face the other and ended up calling their names at the same time. Zuko's face flushed and Sokka was sure his was the same. 

"You go first" Sokka said 

"No, you could go"

The Water Tribe boy nodded and swallowed down his fear, "I… I'm really glad we got to meet, even if that did only happen because you were chasing us around the world," He chuckled and felt Zuko smile, "But look at you now, you're not crazy anymore"

They've grown so much since when they had first met, Zuko wasn't that boy with the phoenix tail who kicked him off the ship's bridge in the Southern Water Tribe. And he wasn't the inexperienced warrior fighting a fight that wasn't his. 

They were so much different now. They were so much… closer now. 

Zuko's pinky lightly grazed Sokka's before securely latching onto it, " I dunno, I think I'm still crazy..." He whispered 

Sokka grabs his hand tightly before whispering, "I think I'm crazy too"

They stared deeply into each other's wide eyes, refusing to break eye contact. Zuko's bright, passionate yellows blending with Sokka's cool, reasonable blues. 

They stared. And stared. And stared as if the entire world didn't exist around them. 

"-Walking together, nothing said, heart is satisfied-"

"This world will collapse at any time-"

"I do not have other wishes-"

"If tomorrow will disappear, while i'm in love now-"

"Just want to remember- held by you, a warm feeling-"

"Love's beautiful-"

"Love's beautiful-"

"So beautiful, so-"

Oh, are you fucking kidding?

"What the FUCK!?"

Aang and Toph were laying right on top of the rock he and Zuko were standing behind. The Airbender was resting on his stomach, hands holding his head up with sparkling eyes as he watched the scene, the Avatar was right next to him, laying on her back as she sung a song on her banjo. 

"Don't mind us, we're just watching" Aang said from above

"I'm helping set the mood" Toph added 

Sokka turned to look at Zuko, his face as hot with anger as his own and it only made him like him more. 

" GET OUT OF HERE!" Zuko snarled

"What? But we're helping! Just pretend we're not even he-"

FOOSH!

"AH!"

Zuko shot a giant ball of fire up towards them, which caused both 12 year olds to yelp and leap off the rock. 

They stared at the two for a moment in silence before abruptly turning on their heels and speeding off!

" HEY! GET BACK HERE, I'M NOT FINISHED!" The Firebender cried out, beginning to chase after them as fast as he could 

"Don't blame us! Katara and Azula said you'd be here!"

"Yeah! Stop it, Red Hotman!" 

"QUIT CALLING ME THAT!" 

FOOSH!

"AHH-AHHH!" 

Sokka listened to the sounds of their screams as more fire hit the ground and he snarled, " YOU'RE BOTH DEAD!" He ran after them too

Notes:

Okay let's get something out of the way first….

METAL BANJO!!!!! METAL BANJO, METAL BANJO, METAL BANJO!!!!! I've been sitting on this for SO LONG!!!!! FORGET AZULA'S REDEMPTION IN THIS BOOK, THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING IN THE ENTIRETY OF BOOK 3!!!!!!

Okay, next on the agenda

Gay gay homosexual gay

Sokka and Zuko are what historians would describe as "very good friends"

And Katara and Azula, once being on good terms with one another, the first thing they agree on doing together is just bother the shit out of their brothers and honestly, name a bigger chain instinct moment than that (come on guys, THEY'RE 14!!!! LET THEM BE KIDS Y'ALL)

Chapter 12: Enhancements and Strategies

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"FIREBALL!"

"JET STEP!"

"FIRE SLASH!"

Toph stood in the courtyard, performing every single Firebending command that Azula and Zuko screamed at her. Training has been going well, at this point the siblings have been co-teaching together for about three weeks now. And Toph was feeling more confident about her Firebending now than ever!

"FIRE BREATH!"

Toph dug her feet into the ground and inhaled deeply, only to let loose a scorching wave of fire from her mouth in the next. It blazed and danced in the air, stretching out well over 30 feet. The heat clawed her throat as it came up but in a good way.

"FIRE STREAM!"

The Avatar leaped forward into a powerful lunge, jerking her hands up and sending forth hot streams of fire spewing from her fists. 

Fire holds so much… power, she's learned. Not that the element is stronger than the others, it's more of energy . The energy from your chi just spills out of you when bending in a way none of the elements do. 

Fire was warmth, and heat, and power, and energy. It was the fateful day that changed her life when she Firebent for the first time in Earth Rumble to protect her dads. It was spiraling and swirling pure energy. 

It was passionate and overwhelming in the ways Airbending was not at all and in how Waterbending was only sometimes. She liked it once she got the hand of complete positive jing. Her Fire sense, it sensed the warmth of fire, of the heat in someone's body because Fire wasn't this evil, conquering power like the Fire Nation made it out to be. It was just… fire, an element that one can bend. 

It's just been twisted and changed, corrupted. Like Zuko's quest for honor or Azula's drive to make her father proud. Neither needed those things but they went their whole lives believing they did because of how they were raised. Zuko had his honor for himself, he didn't need anyone to kill in order to regain it and Azula didn't owe anyone's pride. They were both so strong, so passionate, so powerful.

Her two Firebending senseis relaxed slightly and Toph knew they were taking a break. She stood up straight and grinned at them, feeling beads of sweat roll down her forehead.

"Good job today" Azula said, the words coming out from her mouth easier than they ever did

"You've made a lot of progress in your Firebending," Zuko added before turning to his sister and if her elemental senses weren't so precise, she would have missed the very, very small smile on his lips, "No thanks to you"

She nodded in agreement, "And neither to you"

He folded his arms, "Avatar Roku taught her obviously"

"He always was a good Firebender"

Their humor was dry and terrible but what mattered was that it was humor. They were talking, working together, joking. They had a long way to go before either of them were truly close but they both seemed to be happy with where they are in their relationship now. 

Toph wondered how things will continue to progress, in these weeks, after the war, in the years to come. 

"You're becoming such a good Firebender under Zuko and Azula, Toph!" Ty Lee beamed at the three, "And your fire is so pretty! It's such a nice shade of purple!"

The acrobat was sitting on the steps in between Katara and Aang. Suki and Yue were sitting off on the fountain. Why were people always watching when they were training? (Not that she minds of course, she is an unguilty attention hog)

But her compliment was enough to make Toph's smile grow wider, "Thanks, Ty Lee!" It was nice of her to comment about her skill and about her fire, apparently it is a nice shade of purple 

….

"Wait, purple?"

Wasn't fire like… red or something? Or orange and yellow like she was told Zuko's was? Or even blue like Azula's? But purple? Purple? What even was purple? And a better question, why the fuck was hers that?

"What are you talking about, Ty Lee? Toph's fire isn't purple," Azula says before turning to the Avatar, "Toph, light a fire"

Toph opened her right hand and a flame ignited in her palm. She could feel the siblings standing over her, perplexed. Oh spirits, this better not be a sign that she's dying or something. 

"Huh"

What the fuck does 'huh' mean? Is it or is it not purple? Is it hard to know or something? She knows that sighted people can have a hard time distinguishing between things but seriously? Colours too?

" Huh' isn't an acceptable answer. I need words, Red Hotman"

Azula caught her by the wrist and examined the flame in her tiny, calloused hand, " Interesting..."

 

Okay, now it's getting just a little bit frustrating. Can't people just talk in complete sentences like normal people instead? Just once is all she's asking, just once for her friends to at least pretend to be normal and sane, is it too much to ask?

"Azula, Zuko, someone just fucking talk me"

From the steps, Katara shouted blankly, "Your fire's purple"

Toph face palms with her free hand while her other hand was still being carefully inspected by the Firebender, "I know that! I meant other words!" 

Azula lets go of her hand, "It's purple, it must have turned so over the course of our training. It was a gradual shift so we hadn't even noticed" She raised an arm to rest on Zuko's shoulder with her other hand on her hip, "I have no idea why it would do that though, do you?" 

Zuko crossed his arms, "Nope" 

Okay, so her fire was purple. No one understands why but that's fine. Azula's fire is fucking blue , so why can't hers be purple? There was definitely nothing worrying about having it. It sounds cool and Ty Lee said it was pretty, this can't be anything bad. 

"Well…" Everyone's attention turned towards Yue, who began to speak, "Maybe it's because you have red fire and Azula has blue fire? That your combined teachings turned her flame purple since she's learning from both of you?"

Suki, who was sitting by her side, shrugged, "Blue and red do make purple"

"Could that happen?" Toph asked 

Zuko said nothing, he only looked at Azula, who shrugged, "I created blue fire, I don't see why there wouldn't be other colours as well"

She heard a giggle bubble from the steps and Aang spoke, "Maybe we should start calling you Purple Hotman , Toph!"

Well, if nothing is wrong, why not just fuck around a little bit? 

"Fuck yeah! AVATAR PURPLE HOTMAN! " She grinned before turning to the Airbender, "Quick, Twinkle Toes! What colour are you wearing? We can match with Red and Blue Hotman!"

The boy cackled, jumping to standing "Just call me Yellow Hotman!"  

"Please don't let this become an actual thing" Zuko huffed, squeezing the bridge of his nose as he watched the two 12 year olds laugh to each other 

"Think of it this way, Zuzu," Azula started with a shrug, "At least they're calling each other it instead of us"

Toph punched a series of fireballs into the air. She has no way of ever knowing what the fuck purple looks like but apparently colours other than red regarding fire is a big deal so of course she will gloat.

So if the fire is purple because Zuko's was red and Azula's was blue (and apparently that combines to make the colour), did that mean if she taught someone Firebending, would their fire turn purple? Or what if she taught with someone else? Would those colours combine to make a whole new one? 

Can people control the colour of their flames, or was it just you get one colour? Maybe Azula could help her with that, they could try things out (it might be harder for Toph since she can't actually see the colours). Does this count as a sub bending? She will definitely play around with this more but first- 

"So guys, I think I have a pla- ACK!" 

Sokka had just stepped out the door, his face buried in a piece of paper. He was in the middle of a sentence before screaming, throwing his hands up in front of his face in an attempt to shield himself from the flame that was nearly about to crash right into him.

Luckily Toph knew how to control the direction of her fire when learning the fire missles. She redirected the fire, it turned sharply away from the 15 year old. 

She grinned anxiously over at him, "Oh sorry, Warrior!"

The boy only stood back up straight and grumbled at the girl before stomping off the stairs, "I bet you are… " He grumbled as he turned to the rest, she noted that he glanced behind himself at Zuko a number of times as he did, " Anyway, I've been thinking about when our next strike against the Fire Nation'll be and I think I have a date"

They all knew this was coming, it had to. There was still a war going on, the adults who fought, most of which being their parents or some sort of family were captured. They were in a Fire Nation prison along with all the other prisoners of war right this second.

If they ever wished to see them again and end this war, they needed a plan. 

Sokka kneeled on the steps in between Ty Lee and Katara. Suki and Yue got off from their spots on the fountain and made their way over to them while Zuko, Azula, Aang and Toph huddled around. 

"Well that's great! When is it?" Katara asked, slightly reaching out for Toph and they held hands as Toph stood 

She felt Sokka's heart give a hard thump as he cringed, sucking his teeth, "You're not gonna like it…" He hesitated before speaking, "It's on the last day of summer"

The last day of summer...

"The last day of summer? That's in a week" Aang commented 

Toph nodded, "It's also the day of the comet Gyatso warned me about" 

'Every century, there's a comet that comes to Earth. And this comet- it increases a Firebenders's strength, the Fire Nation used this to their advantage 100 years ago when they wiped out the Air Nomads… And it is coming again this year. Sozin's comet will grant the Fire Nation enough power to win the war, Toph. They will try to take over the entire world with their power and balance will never be restored again'

The Airbending Avatar's voice bounced in her head, those words were ingrained into her mind the moment they were spoken all those months ago during the Winter Solstice. It happened so long ago and now the danger is coming in a week's time. 

The comet is coming and Sokka wants to invade when the Firebenders are at their strongest? 

Zuko then asked, "Why would we invade then? The comet is gonna give them a boost in their bending"

"It just doesn't make any sense if we do it before then, even if we do defeat the Fire Lord, they're just gonna attack us during the comet" He made a good point

"Okay, so why don't we wait until after the comet?" Yue frowned  

Azula had actually spoken before Sokka, she shook her head and swallowed hard almost in shame, "No, we can't…" She hesitated and Toph felt the soft tremors in the Firebender's body that she tried so desperately to hide, "Before the eclipse, I attended a war meeting with my father, we were debating what to do with Ba Sing Se and the rest of the Earth Kingdom since we conquered it, there were Earthbender rebellions. They were proud and strong, they wanted to protect their home and could have endured just about anything as long as they had hope. I," She clenched her fists, frustration obvious in her voice, "I suggested we needed to destroy their hope, to destroy their lands and burn it all to the ground... They're going to use the comet's strength to burn everything in the entire Earth Kingdom from their airships, including their people, just like they did to the Airbenders. And it's my fault, I should have never spoken, I shouldn't have said anything..."

Toph remembered Gyatso's injunction. If they wait till after the comet, the world will be thrown into so much chaos and imbalance that even she as the Avatar wouldn't be able to fix it. Even with all the strength in the world and the Avatar spirit on her side, it wouldn't be enough to reverse the damages the Fire Nation will continue to create if they are not stopped soon. 

There were consequences and there were stakes. But when was there not? 

The Earthbender mustered the best smile she could, swallowing down the fear for her home, for her own people and replacing it with hopeful pride. 

She grabbed Azula's hand with her free hand that wasn't holding Katara's, smiling, "You wanted to make your dad proud, it's not your fault you didn't know. What matters is that you're on the fighting side now," Her grin stretched wider as the girl looked at her, Toph clenched a powerful fist, "And we're gonna defeat the Fire Lord. He's not gonna destroy anything, not on my watch"

She can't let that happen, she won't let it happen. Too many things are riding on this; imprisoned Earthbenders facing possible doom, hidden Airbenders, war stricken Waterbenders, nationalistic Firebenders who do not know they are doing wrong. 

The fate of every territory rests in their hands, the fate of the world left for children to solve. 

Toph refused to give up, not until she's breathing her dying breath. Not when Azula needs her, and Zuko, and Aang, and Katara, and Sokka, and Suki, and everyone. The world needs to be repaired, 100 years worth of fighting will come down to one fateful day that will decide whether the world will grow...

Or burn.

"Yeah, but with that information I might need to make a couple adjustments to the plan. It's good that you told us," Sokka spoke as he already went to work, jotting down notes and crossing out words that she wouldn't ever read, "I'll need to think about this a little more. I'll have it done by tonight that way we can discuss it all together with everyone else as well" 

Toph felt the quiet heartbeats of her teammates, some were fearful, the others stood with a silent sort of ambivalence. If they were going to do it, the perfect moment will be during the comet, not before and definitely not after.

All they need to do is be patient and wait. 





"And then Dad Hunter comes out of nowhere and kicks Dad-pher right in the ribs! So then we team up and kick his ass but right as we do, I betray him and throw him square off the ring! Then I won obviously" 

Toph was in the middle of explaining one of her many feats in Earth Rumble against the star contenders. Her and Katara were standing in the shallow parts of the shore on the beach, standing in the low tides and practicing Waterbending.

She had plenty of stories and although Katara didn't particularly like the wrestling, she listened anyway. And it made Toph feel better talking about them, it gave her hope that they aren't going to be apart for much longer.

"Isn't it weird fighting your dads though?"

"I mean, I was fighting them even before I became part of their family so not really," She shrugged, passing the glob of water they were levitating between them back to her, "Besides, it's fun"

A smile curled on Katara's lips and she raised an eyebrow, "You went to school in the day and fought your parents in underground wrestling matches at night, that's fun?" 

"Loads"

Before she joined Earth Rumble, two and a half of her years were spent in the vast, winding tunnels of caves. The badgermoles never saw her as lesser, actually, they saw her as just a really tiny, hairless badgermole. They didn't see her as different like how the rest of her small world (which consisted of her blood parents and the servants) did. 

And her dads saw her the same way the badgermoles did, they loved her and encouraged her bending, allowing her to pursue things she enjoyed like the banjo and Earth Rumble. And fucking shit did she miss them. 

"You're such a weirdo" The Waterbender giggled and not to be dramatic or anything but it was probably the cutest fucking thing that Toph's ever heard, like if that was the last thing she ever heard, she would totally be okay with that 

"Yeah but you loooove this weirdo" Toph made a kissy face before getting drenched with a splash water

Another giggle, this time just a touch more sinister, "I have no idea what you're talking about"

" HEY ASSHOLES!" Sokka called from the sandy shore, he was sitting on a large rock, hunched over several sheets of paper, he was working nonstop on the plan to get it done by tonight, they tried to help him but he wanted to do this himself for some reason, "Quit flirting! You're breaking my concentration!"

As he said that, the Avatar could practically feel Katara's anger along with her flustered face, she puffed out her cheeks and bawled her fists, "Shut up, Sokka! You're just angry because you didn't get to kiss Zuko the other day!" 

" Whuh-WHAT!? NO I'M NOT!" Sokka's pulse sped up and she knew he was getting embarrassed (and that he was lying), " You're angry because you haven't kissed Toph!"

"We've kissed!"

"If it's not on the lips, it doesn't count!"

" I'm gonna fucking kill him, I'm actually gonna kill him," The short tempered girl cursed under her breath before stomping off to the sand, on her way to go slaughter her brother, she waved a fist, " YOU BETTER FUCKING RUN!"

Without taking his eyes off the paper in front of him, Sokka waved at her, "Yeah yeah, I'll run alright"

When Katara reached shore, the two began to bicker as the rest, herself included, went back to what they were doing, choosing to ignore their fighting, having already been used to it at this point. 

Aang and Suki were kneeling down on the sand, holding a sand sculpture building contest with Zuko and Azula as their models. Azula held an overly dramatic pose, one leg half bent with the other was stretched straight and the back of her hand was resting delicately over her forehead, she seemed to really be into it. 

Zuko was a completely different story however, not putting as nearly as much flare into it as his sister did. Only slightly slouching his shoulders with his arms stretched out from his sides with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Come on, Red Hotman! Give it a little more energy!" Aang encouraged the 16 year old who snarled in response 

"Yeah Zuzu, it's fun" Azula smiled at him, not moving from her pose 

He huffed, "Nothing's fun about this, it's embarrassing"

Aang pouted to Suki, who was in the middle of molding her figure of Azula, "Suki, I wanna trade models. Zuko isn't taking this seriously"

"Sorry Aang but you picked Zuko, now you gotta stay with Zuko" Curse his undying adoration for Zuko, Toph only chuckled at her twin's friend's misfortune although knowing if she was in his situation, she would have probably fallen for the same thing 

"Aw what? Can't we both just do Azula then! She's so much better of a model!" He argued weakly before abruptly turning to the teenage boy, "No offence, of course!" He groaned  nervously 

Zuko glared at him before looking to his sister, "This reminds me of those horrible family portraits we used to get painted"

"Oh yes, those were torturous," She cackled, "Having to stand still all those hours, spirits I hated them"

"Remember when father wanted to throw me out the window when he realized I was standing on the wrong side and the painter was almost done?"

" Yes!" Azula laughed, breaking her pose and standing up straight and facing her brother, "He is so tedious!" 

He nodded, cackling, "At least when you were on the wrong side, he would just threaten the painter to redo it!" 

She howled again, his laugh matching her own, "At least mother protected you from most of it!"

"Ha! Yeah!" He chuckled, "Too bad she's gone though"

The 14 year old shrugged a smile still tugging at her lips, "Maybe to you. She used to call me a monster, she was right but it still hurt"

It was nice that Zuko and Azula were able to bond over their shared childhood that was filled with stuffy traditions, strict fathers and mothers who called her a-

Wait

Their mom called Azula a fucking monster? 

What the fuck? Who calls their child something like that? That's fucking terrible! How old was Azula when she told her that? Obviously it had to be when she was 14 or younger, who in their right fucking mind could call a kid that? 

It doesn't matter whatever Azula did, she was a fucking kid and you don't call kids monsters, especially if you never tried to help them change their behaviour. And by the sound of it, their mother didn't try that hard at all. 

"Okay, but if she was still here maybe I wouldn't have gotten half my face burned off by father"

Again, what the fuck? 

Okay, so not only did they have one shit parent, they had two shit parents. Shit parents who burned their faces and called them terrible names.

Well no fucking wonder they were both so messed up, needed to be guided onto the right path, and were in dire need of healing. She knew Ozai was an abusive asshole, how could she forget that fucked up people get with fucked up people? 

Toph has no idea how deep this rabbit hole of abuse goes but she does know one thing, she is never allowing Ozai or their mother (she doesn't know if gone means left or dead) near either of them for the rest of fucking time.  

"I suppose you're right, I still stand my ground though" Azula spoke as nonchalantly as Zuko, as if they were conversing the price of fucking meat at the market or something 

"Agree to disagree?" 

"Sure"

It seemed that Toph wasn't the only one who found their family horribly torn and fucked up in every way imaginable. Aang scratched underneath his turban uncomfortably, " Ummmm…"

"Spirits" Suki sighed 

Listen, Toph gets it, she really does. Joking about trauma and abuse can be really funny, like really fucking funny. She can't even count how many times she jokingly asked her dads when they were going to lock her away and hide her from the world because she was 'weak, blind, and helpless'. And it was hilarious to see their reactions! She could literally feel the blood leave their face as their hearts sped up, unsure if they should laugh or punch a wall. 

Joking about it can be entertaining and therapeutic in a way without the pressures of having to be too serious when recounting shitty events, she understood that well. 

But holy shit , is this what it feels like to be on the receiving end for once? Granted, she already knew Ozai was a terrible dad and she wanted to bury him up to his head in the ground and keep him there forever already for what he did to her two Firebending friends but now? Even more so. 

And now her list of what abusive parents to beat up was growing, their mother now being added onto the list. Man, rich people fucking suck , huh?

She was so angry. Zuko was burned by their father apparently, he was banished and forced to complete a near impossible task (now that she's thinking about it, Ozai probably wished him dead, ordering him to track down the Avatar), their father hated him. Azula was called terrible names, isolated and given high standards as the golden child, working at being the best until it consumed her. 

These two have been through so much, endured and put up with fucked up shit by the people they were supposed to trust, that were supposed to love them unconditionally for years. And it wasn't fair, they didn't deserve that. They didn't deserve to be pitted against each other their whole lives, to grow up learning to despise the other because of the lies of their parents. 

"Toph, your eyes are glowing"

The Earthbender felt the waves around her move faster and heavier, the water began to rise quickly.

"Shit, are you going into the Avatar State!?"

Oh spirits, this isn't the best time to flip and fuck everything up, she could save this anger for the comet. 

Azula placed her hands on her hips smugly, "Oh? Have we finally found your limit?" She then elbows Zuko's arm, "See? I told you we could break her"

He chuckled, "I'm surprised this didn't come out when I kidnapped her in the North Pole"

"Or when I hunted her down for three sleepless nights in a row" She replied 

"Or when me and Zhao competed to see who could kill her first"

"I nearly trapped us all in a near constantly changing cave"

"I tried to slit her throat twice "

"And I sent her into a coma"

Okay, now it was starting to sound like they were trying to compete to see who fucked her up more. 

Toph shook her head and blinked away the glow, she walked out the water until her feet made contact with the hot sand, "No, all the crazy shit you've put me through, that I can handle. But the shit you've been through because of your shitty fucking parents? Nope," She shook her head, " Nope, nope, nope"  

"Oh yeah?" Azula asked half with curiosity and half with well meaning mockery, "And what're you going to do about it?" 

"Well I would gladly beat the shit out of them and make them suffer for all eternity but since your mom is gone, I guess I'll just have to make your dad suffer twice as much"

The 14 year old clicked her tongue, "Huh, that sounds like a good plan"

Zuko turned his head towards Sokka, "Can that be our invasion plan for the comet?" 

Sokka, who was busy rough housing Katara on the ground, rolling and tackling each other, sat up on his sister's stomach on the sand, "As nice as that sounds, no . We need an actual plan and I don't think Toph's anger alone can defeat the entire Fire Nation army" By the time he finished speaking, Katara managed to get the upper hand, shoving him off her 

"Wanna bet? I fucking hate abusive parents!" She snarled, "Like, just because you can fuck up a kid doesn't mean you should! They're kids -your kids- why would you ever willingly hurt them!? And if you 'didn't know' you did, then fucking learn! Listen to your fucking kids because I'm sure they gave you a fucking sign- if not, they probably told you but you didn't listen! If you're a bad person because of your own fucked up shit you've gone through, don't have fucking kids then! Work on yourself or you're gonna just screw them up and then they MIGHT REPEAT THE FAMILY FUCKING TRADITION THAT IS THE CYCLE OF ABUSE!" 

…. 

"Damn," Suki said, half smiling, "Who hurt you?" She joked 

"People are just stupid, Girl time" Toph sighed, apparently now timid from her mini rant, if she talked about it any more she would just end up winding herself up 

"Sounds like you speak from experience" Azula commented

The Avatar groaned, walking further into the beach where the rest were and picked up her banjo, she placed the strap over her shoulder and held it securely over her chest, "All I'll say is rich people are terrible parents" 

Toph walked and Azula followed her, when the 12 year old sat down on the sand and played a small melody on her instrument, Azula sat down right next to her, "That's a funny way of saying that when you say you understand what we're going through, you really understand what we're going through" 

She knew that Azula was trying to subtly encourage her to speak more, but Toph consciously ignored it. If she was being honest, she didn't really feel like talking about it all that much, more so considering that it only made her upset. Besides, she hasn't seen her blood parents in six years.

Toph saw no point in it, she had a new family who loved her with all their hearts. What happened to her mattered obviously but it wasn't the only thing that mattered, if that makes sense.

Plus, she has better things to worry about besides her ableist blood family who were seriously twisted, as much as it stung to admit. The badgermoles showed her more affection and care than they ever did. And come on, after living with her dads for three years and learning how a healthy family was supposed to act like, she knew it was wrong of them, that she deserved better. 

"It's definitely part of it," She hummed with a closed eyed smile, her fingers dancing against the metal strings, "But you of all people don't need to worry about that right now" 

Even if Azula was curious, she doesn't need to think about the problems of others that have been solved six years ago considering she still has plenty of her own to still overcome and manage.

She seemed to get the idea and changed the subject with a nod (and Toph was grateful she was speaking to Azula and not Zuko, she loves him but sometimes it's like talking to a wall), "The only reason Zuko offered to help Aang and Suki in their sand sculpture contest is because he thought he would be the one making one and Sokka would be his model"

Apparently the first thing the Firebender thinks of when trying to change the subject was always in some way to embarrass, harass and just overall torment her older brother. It reminded Toph of Katara. 

She cackled loudly, "That's really fucking gross" 

"Ugh, I know. It's all Katara and I can talk about," Azula leaned back on her hands, staring out into the ocean, "I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way" She spoke with a cringe

Despite her words, Azula's heart gave an alternative meaning. It didn't explicitly bump in the way a normal heart did when someone lied but it did beat faster than usual, faster in affection. Faster in the way Katara's heart beats for Sokka or her own for Aang, faster in the sense of deep, deep protection and familial love.

Azula did love Zuko, it was just harder to see compared to most. It was seen in her teasing words, silly competitions and in the fastest possible ways to make him mad. 

Her heart was so controlled, it was so much harder to read, it gave Toph a challenge . The last time she had one of those was when she was learning Earth Sense when she was six or the positive and negative jing of Waterbending however many months ago. Azula forced her to be on her toes, listening carefully to every word, deciphering the meaning behind it and figuring out the history that lays. 

____________________

Hours have passed since earlier, it was later now, the sun had gone down and the sky was dark and cold. The entire team was sitting down on the main room's floor, eating dinner in their usual way, huddled around each other and refusing to use the table. 

Toph had lit the fireplace for the rest of them using her newly purple flame and happily took in the praise of how 'pretty it made the room look'.

Katara had said that the purple was nice, it filled the whole room with its hue and gave it a tranquil affect that seemed to calm them all down from the day. 

"Alright but if a boat can travel faster than a train-" Mai started but was cut off by Haru 

"No it's not that it's faster, it's just able to reach more places than a train can" 

"That's basically what I'm saying"

Haru shook his head and Teo spoke, "No you're saying it's faster, he's saying that where a train can go is limited which doesn't make it slower"

Toph honestly has no idea how the entire conversation switched to boats and trains but she had no input, boats were terrible and she's never been on a train before (they have those more in Ba Sing Se she's heard). 

Sokka, who has been quiet for most of the evening, finally spoke up, rolling out a scroll into the floor, speaking it in the middle of the small circle the group had formed while sitting, "Alright if you don't mind, I'd like to move away from trains and boats back to the topic at hand: the invasion during the comet" 

She felt everyone's hearts begin to speed up at the mention and Jet, always trying to be the strongest, asked with graceful compsture, "So you figured out a new plan?" 

"Yep, we all have important roles for when it comes but we need to work together if we're gonna do this. We're the world's last hope"

Those words slightly scared her in the way the overwhelming sea is to a young child. But the word Toph chose to focus on was 'hope', they were the last hope. They had no choice but to win and they will. Because if they don't, not only will hope be crushed, people will die , land will be destroyed and territories will be reclaimed by a dirty colonizer.

The air was quiet, they were all waiting for Sokka's orders. 

"Since we only have a week, we're leaving the day after tomorrow. That way, by the time we reach the Capital, it'll be either the day before or the day of the comet. Since Azula said they're mainly gonna be using airships to attack the Earth Kingdom from above, some of us'll capture one and use it to destroy the rest, halting the Fire Nation's destruction long enough for Toph to fight the Fire Lord" He said, point at various parts of the piece of paper sprawled out on the floor that she couldn't read 

Toph felt the others nod in listening, hanging off his every word as he continued, pointing to another spot, "I'm guessing that they're gonna start their way from the north western tip of the Earth Kingdom and work their way down from there, Toph, you're heading to the Wulong Forest, you'll wait for the Fire Lord there"

Toph nearly asked how did he know the Fire Lord would attend the burning of the Earth Kingdom but realized that of course he would. Honestly, she wouldn't be surprised if he were the one doing it himself, it's a pride thing. 

"Me, Katara, Aang, Zuko, Suki, and Azula will be getting to the airships, we're gonna need all the power we could get if we wanna think of putting a dent in their air fleet numbers. We'll take Appa"

"But what about the rest of us?" The Duke piped up 

"The rest of you will be on the ground at the Fire Nation, the chances are high that they're expecting another invasion, so their army will still be there," He said, "Destroy all the ships and blimps you could and capture the Capital, prevent them from making anymore progress. And I know I've said it before but by the end of that day, the Fire Nation'll have fallen"

The Fire Nation will have been defeated because they have no other choice but to win on the day of the comet. No choice to wait any longer because that was their moment, afterwards they'll liberate Ba Sing Se and the rest of the Earth Kingdom and declare the war officially over. 

Toph thought about her role: the Wulong Forest, fighting the Fire Lord… Her blood boiled and sang under the idea of fighting him, she wanted to so badly. To kick his fucking teeth in and make him ever regret tearing a world apart with his ancestors along with fucking up two amazing kids who were able to grow and flourish in the healthy environment that he never bothered to give them. 

He's an easy fight, even with his bending power increased during the comet, he could never be as strong as Azula or Zuko. The only reason she didn't beat him during the eclipse was because she needed to help Azula. But that led him to believe that she was weak, that she was scared of him. 

She can't wait for their next meeting to prove him so very wrong. 

Notes:

PURPLE FIRE PURPLE FIRE PURPLE FIRE :D

I honestly have no real reason for doing this aside from the fact that I am OBSESSED with sub bending. Just AHDJSJRKAKS When I saw Azula's blue fire for the first time I was like !!?!?!?!?! And then with the dragons and their rainbow fire, it got me thinking about all the possibilities for Firebending and the colors for it!!!!!!

And with Zuko's orange/red fire combined with Azula's blue, their combined co-teaching, I thought it could be a good visual sort of symbolism to show their cooperation and new understanding of each other now!!!

Chapter 13: Shocking!!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sokka's plan from last night was good for Zuko but to be fair, all his plans were good to Zuko (half because he has no idea how to actually make a plan and will just go with it). They were going to be leaving tomorrow in order to make it to the Fire Nation Capital in time for the comet. 

Well, everyone except Toph, tomorrow they were heading their separate ways from the Avatar since she needed to get to the Wulong Forest and wait for the Fire Lord there. 

He just hoped it wasn't going to be the last time he sees her, if you get what he means. 

If she… loses (or worse... ) the world will be over. But he couldn't think like that, he knew that the fight wasn't over yet and had faith in the Earthbender, no matter how annoying or cocky she can get (at least she could back up all the pride with actual strength).

Zuko was standing in the courtyard, ready for their last day of training before their departure. And apparently Toph was a little early to their session because- 

"Red Hotman!"

"Red Hotman~!"

"Red Hotmaaaaan~!"

"STOP IT! I'M NOT DOING THIS!"

...This.

Because of course Toph wanted to fuck around a little bit before their lesson starts, and of course she'd bring Aang to help her do that!

The Nonbending boy laughed, standing on the head of the fountain, "Come on, Red Hotman! It's fun!"

"Yeah Zuko, it's fun" Suki said with an amused smile on her face as she sat on the steps, watching the chaos ensue

He abruptly turned on his heel to the 16 year old girl sitting off from him, " Shut up!" He shrieked, "You're not even doing anything! Help me!" 

"Nah, I'm good"

Just as the useless Kyoshi Warrior finished speaking, Toph popped her head out from the stone pavement behind him in a way that reminded him of a gopher, "Come on, don't tell me you're slowing down on me!"

At the sound of her voice, Zuko swore to Agni that he saw fucking red and whipped on his heel. He snarled and charged towards her, slamming onto the ground to grab her. By the time he hit the stone, Toph had retreated back under and the ground went back to how it was as if she was never there to begin with. 

Spirits, when he gets his hands on either of them, he'll strangle them by their stupid, tiny necks. 

In the corner of his vision, the Firebender saw Sokka, Katara, and Azula walk outside and stay standing by Suki. 

"What's happening here?" Katara asked, they had probably heard the raucous from inside 

Azula was glancing around, "And where's Toph? This is our last day of Firebending training"

Suki spoke without taking her eyes off the metaphorical battle field, "Underground"

"Uh… And why is she underground exactly?"

"Before Zuko came out, Aang and Toph made up a game called ' Capture the Avatar' . I'm not really sure of the rules but I think the idea of it is that they have Zuko chase them and whoever gets caught first loses," She explained with a shrug, "I'm pretty sure there's a point system, like if they could get him to fall or Firebend or something. But frankly, I'm just here to enjoy the show"

Sokka raised an eyebrow, "And Zuko agreed to this? Zuko? That sounds nothing like him"

"Oh no, he didn't. I watched them annoy the crap out of him until he was angry enough to chase them" 

"Okay now that sounds more like that loveable doof," He cackled before sitting down next to Suki, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he shouted, " Woo! Go Team Zuko! Get them!" 

The Firebender didn't seem to like the encouragement, snarling, " DON'T ENCOURAGE THIS!"

Azula folded her arms and remarked snarkily to Katara, "As if he can catch either of them" She said which made the Waterbender laugh 

Zuko was too focused on yelling at Sokka to realize that Aang had leaped off the fountain, he tapped his shoulder, "Red Hotman"

The 16 year old spun on his foot, jerking his arms to grab the young boy but he was too late. Aang jumped back just in time. 

He wasn't getting away that easy! He's gonna finish this stupid game right now and get on with his life!

He went to charge forward but-

"Red Hotman!" Toph poked her head out from the ground again, this time a couple feet over to his right 

Like a wild animal, Zuko pounced towards the girl, 100% down with ending her life and accidentally giving the Fire Nation the next Avatar. 

He dashed over and stomped his foot hard on the ground but he was too late again, she was gone, "RAAAAAAH!" He screamed in frustration, continuing to stomp on the ground. He would have kept going but he remembered that Aang can't go underground, he's a Nonbender, he's stuck above here. 

Zuko lunged for the 12 year old again, whose back was turned to him. Aang barely had enough time to turn around, this was it! 

He was gonna catch him and ring his stupid neck and kill him! His hands were nearly in the boy's reach until-!

Toph rushed past the Firebender, zooming in on an air scooter to which she scooped Aang right up, whizzing hastily around Zuko. Their repetitive spins and boisterous laughter made his head spin. 

He's gonna kill them, he really is gonna kill them. 

The two stayed on the air ball, circling around him like a bullet, over and over and over and over. While he stood there and tried to not get a headache, this needs to stop, this needs to stop right now before his head explodes in complete and utter anger. 

Zuko glanced at the four by the steps but mainly at Sokka, who had his arm outstretched and smiled at him, nodding. He was signaling to him to do the same. 

Uh?  

What will that do? Whatever, Sokka's guidance has never failed him yet so what the hell. Zuko raised his arm confusingly and as the two 12 year olds whirled back around him, they slammed right into his arm and fell onto the floor. 

Oh.

That makes sense actually.

(Sokka's so smart)

Okay wait, gotta focus on the right now. Zuko cocked his head down at the two kids who were laughing cheerfully at their game's fall. They stopped, however, when they noticed his cold glare with his folded arms. They grinned anxiously up at him from the floor. 

"Hotman," Aang nodded in a greeting, "Wonderful weather"

Toph hummed in agreement, "The sun's so bright and the sky's very… red" 

Oh spirits, how in the world were these two the single-handedly strongest members? 

The boy blinked and, without tearing his eyes from Zuko's stare, whispered in Toph's ear, " Blue "

"Oh! Blue, I meant blue"

"Uh huh," The teenage boy said, obviously unconvinced, he pointed a stern finger towards the steps where the others were, " Aang… " He warned 

The Nonbender pushed himself to his feet, dragging them with a heavy sigh across the yard, " Yeah yeah, I know the drill…"

Zuko nearly felt a twinge of guilt for making him go away. They were just kids, they should have some fun time. Especially considering that they're not going to see each other tomorrow (or possibly ever again).

...

Too bad he said nearly. 

He then squinted down at Toph, who was now sitting up right with a large smile on her face, "And you get up, this is our last Firebending lesson before the comet" 

She nodded, jumping to her feet, "Are we gonna practice forms again today?" 

Before he answered her, Zuko glanced at Azula, "Azula, get over here!" He called to her before looking back down at the Earthbender, "And no, I wanted to actually teach you a new move"

"A new move?" His sister repeated as she walked up to the two, "We've taught her every single Firebending move we know, what could we have possibly missed?"

He spoke flatly, "You don't know it" 

Azula looked slightly offended, puffing out her chest, "Whuh- I don't know it? I'm sorry, do you not know that I am a master Firebender?"

Toph took her banjo from off her back and rested it against the fountain, "Uh yeah, how could you possibly know a move that Azula doesn't? Didn't she learn from like, masters? No offense but also full offense"

"It's because none of those masters know it, it was created by Uncle"

Zuko was a little upset that neither of the two believed he could have known something that Azula didn't. He understood that she was a master and an overall better Firebender than him but come on! What if he made up something? Obviously he didn't but still, they didn't even consider it! 

But those thoughts didn't matter right now, this move was useful and powerful. It will greatly improve Toph's chances of not just surviving but winning during her battle with father.

And that's all he can hope for at this point.

He watched as Azula visibly softened, "Uncle made it?" She asked gingerly, eyes filled with questions and curiosity, she then shook her head and pointed to Suki, Katara, Sokka and Aang, "Leave, we might need some concentration for this"

"You never cared when we watched before" Suki weakly argued 

"Yeah! I'm curious what the move is," Sokka protested before his eyes landed on Zuko, "Zuko, don't make us leave!"

The Firebender felt his cheeks begin to heat up, "Azula's right, we're definitely gonna need a lot of focus for this" 

Katara was the first to stand up, grabbing her brother's hand and pulling him up, "Alright, just tell us when you're done then I guess"

"See you later, Hotmans!" Aang laughed and Zuko saw Toph visibly tense in order not to laugh out loud. They have such a stupid sense of humor…  

After the four kids stepped inside and left the three alone, Toph was the first to speak, "So what's this move made by Iroh? I'm sure it's amazing" Her eyes glistened with confidence, she believed that this move will be great and it was the first time Zuko questioned how much she actually cared for his uncle

Azula went to stand right beside the Avatar, "Yes, I'm curious as well to see what he came up with"

Zuko flashed back to that day that felt so long ago in his mind. The day when Uncle had taught him this Firebending move, how he was eager to have an edge over his sister. It was strange to think about something that sounded so foreign to him now, he wasn't that Zuko anymore. He wasn't the lost, refugee Zuko anymore, he was the Avatar's Firebending Sensei Zuko now. 

"It's lightning redirection," He said with a deep exhale as he analyzed their faces. Toph is usually really expressive but her face could just be completely... blank at times, Azula said that she suspected it to be an old habit of some sort, her face was stone with her eyebrows only slightly raised. 

Azula on the other hand, showed extreme emotion right now, her mouth parted in a small 'O' and her eyes wide and bug-like in shock, "If there's one thing you should learn before facing our father, it's this"

"You can redirect lightning?" Toph asked, her face now seeming to catch up with her feelings, gawking in surprise

" That's the move you used back in Omashu…" His sister shifted from shock to realization and clarity  

Directly after he betrayed Azula, Mai, Ty Lee, and basically the entire Fire Nation in Omashu all those months ago, they all attacked him. At one point Azula had shot him with a stream of lightning, it wasn't nearly as close up as she had done to Toph so it was enough space for him to catch it and direct it up towards the sky. 

Zuko could still remember the look of disbelief and bewilderment that spread across his sister's face in those brief moments. He had surprised her for the first time in their lives.

"Holy crap. Zuko, that's amazing!" Toph exclaimed, utterly astonished, "This move sounds badass!"

"Yeah, I'm learning this too," Azula said, "How do you do it?"

He reveled in the praise but coughed it away to try and be more serious although he was giddy inside, "Like this. If you let the energy in your own body flow, the lightning will follow it. You're kinda turning your opponents' energy against them"

Zuko widened his stance and pressed his index and middle finger together on both hands, he propped himself in his direct position with his left hand stretched out to his side diagonally and his other pressed to his chest. He used his right hand to mimic the flow of energy that needs to escape your body, shooting out through the fingertips of your right hand. 

He could practically feel the energy, the electricity surging through him. He knew it wasn't actually there but he remembered all that… power in him when he held onto Azula's attack to redirect it.

He watched as the two began mimicking his movements, " Using your opponent's energy against them', that sounds like Waterbending" Toph said 

"It's cause it is, Uncle made this technique himself by studying Waterbenders"

Azula smiled at him as she continued repeating the movement, "I have to say I'm impressed, Zuzu. I completely forgot you had that move over me"

He would have taken the praise gratefully but said, "Well, not anymore. You know it now"

She frowned slightly with a shrug, "I guess" 

"That's not the point, what matters is that you were able to keep an open mind to trying Waterbending moves, which is super impressive!" Toph shouted, "Don't try and cut yourself short"

He nearly rolled his eyes, she was like a mini, louder Uncle Iroh. It almost made him laugh and he knew that if they somehow win and end this war, he and her are definitely going to have very wise talks of philosophy over tea and Pai Sho (and bugs?)

"I'll try not to," Zuko couldn't help but allow a chuckle to escape him, "But anyway, you gotta be careful when you do this move. There's so much power and energy being stored up in you, one wrong move and it's over," He then placed a flat hand over his stomach, "Your stomach is the sea of chi, like the source of all your energy. The lightning has to pass through the stomach because if it passes through the heart, you could die, this is very important"

He watched as the girls kept practicing the move. With every repetition, their motions became smoother and more fluid.  

Zuko felt pride over being able to share his knowledge, more so because it was something actually new that his sister never heard about before. 

Older siblings should teach their younger sibling things, he missed his chance when they were younger, this was his way of making up for it in a way he supposed. 

"I think we've gotten a good enough hang of this. What do you think, Toph?" Azula asked after a couple of minutes in silence 

The girl nodded, "Yeah, thanks Red Hotman! This move is gonna come in handy at the perfect moment, I know it"

"Of course, I kinda have to teach you. I am your sensei after all" 

"Well speaking of sensei, since I am also your sensei," Azula began with a grin spread across her features, "There's a move that Zuko doesn't know. I can teach you both"

A move? Which move could she possibly be referring to? His move was created by Uncle, does that mean she learned a move from someone else too? Or less surprisingly, made it up herself? 

But yet again, Toph's eyes shined in the same astonishment that was there when he spoke of lightning redirection, " Ooo! Two new moves? What is it!" 

The 14 year old kept her smile on her face, if anything it became wider, " Lightningbending"

What? 

Zuko's eyes widened as he unconsciously took a step or two backwards. It wasn't that he believed that his sister would hurt him, it's more that he really doesn't wanna try it again…

He heard Toph gasp, "Really? You're gonna teach me!? Oma!" She grinned before it noticeably disappeared as she turned her attention to him, "You're not excited to learn Lightningbending?" 

How did she- fucking shit, his heart or whatever inside guts she could feel inside him, he shook his head, "Last time I tried, it didn't really work for me. I can't do it"

"Not with that attitude you're not. You're a master Firebender, Zuzu," Azula spoke truthfully before standing up just a little bit straighter (she always did that when she was explaining things), "Lightning's a form of Firebending without its passion, emotion, and rage. It's pure . It's precise and extremely helpful. But to perform this, you need peace of mind"

He needs peace of mind, the last time he tried this he was still hiding out in the Earth Kingdom with Uncle and that was only a couple months ago, he couldn't have found that peaceful mindset yet. He was still Zuko, no matter how much he changed, he was still… him. 

But seriously, he was in no way calm or peaceful or 'without emotion and passion' or whatever, when he tried to learn it he basically threw a tantrum and shouted at the thunder to strike him down like a madman. 

Zuko wasn't so sure about this. 

"Okay, peace of mind, got it" Toph wore a look of serious determination on her features, ready to conquer her next block

She showed no fear. Well of course she didn't, Toph didn't have to worry about inner turmoil mucking up her bending, she was practically a master in all the elements, creating a new style- a new sub bending in all four! 

What does she have to fear? She stares death in the face with her unseeing eyes and laughs. Every single situation she's been through she was able to overcome with quick thinking, wise words, or pure stubbornness. 

Hell, she's leaving everyone she cares about tomorrow to travel alone to face the Fire Lord in a couple days and here she is, laughing and making up dumb games. 

He… wasn't like that. He was strong of course, that much he knew. But not like that, he wasn't as smart or as strong as neither her nor Azula. They were both just so powerful in his eyes that it was hard not to compare himself. Hell, Toph can't even see but she managed to have a different colour flame like Azula while his stayed orange. He knew it was petty but he didn't care.

"Firebenders have to separate the yin and yang energies around us to make an imbalance. Since the energy wants to rebalance , when they come back together," Azula explained as she clasped her hands together loudly, "Boom, lightning" 

Her explanation of yin and yang and separation of energies reminded him of Uncle's speech when he tried to teach him. 

Azula then placed her hands on her hips, "Toph, can you make a rock or something, we can practice on that"

The Avatar nodded with a stomp, a moderately sized slab of stone emerged from the ground a couple feet away from them in the courtyard. 

His sister shot them both a smug look that screamed 'watch and learn' before stepping forward and as she did, she made quick, circular movements with her arms. As she stepped into a deep lunge, she swung her hand forward, index and middle finger pressing together in a similar manner of lightning redirection and shot a bolt of lightning right at the rock.

Crack!

BOOM!

Her strike left the rock exploding into millions of darkly charred pieces that rained down from the sky. 

Spirits

Azula turned her head back to face them with a smug smile on her face, "Who wants to go first?" 

Not him. 

Toph raised her hand manically, waving it in the air and standing on her tiptoes, "Me! I'll go!" Oh thank Agni she always wanted to be the best at everything 

When the Avatar stepped forward to Azula's side, she took a deep breath after creating another slab of rock. His sister spoke calmly to the girl, "Remember that when the energy comes back together, it's like the redirection, you don't control it after that. Be calm" 

Toph nodded and copied Azula's previous lunge form, waving her arms in a similar manner that she did albeit much slower and for a longer amount of time.

Crack! 

BOOM!

 

Toph shot forth a much, much, much weaker version of Azula's bolt; it hit square on the rock but not nearly strong enough to blow it up or amount to the damage that his sister was able to do.

After she did it, Toph stayed still, completely frozen before abruptly jumping ten feet in the air and coming back down with a large grin, "Did you see that!? Lightning! Fuck yeah!" 

He watched his sister giggle, "I saw it. You still have a long way to go but it's a start"

Toph punched the air, cackling excitedly to herself. Zuko wasn't surprised she was able to do it. Again, fucking prodigy.  

"Zuzu, your turn" 

Zuko shook his head, "I'm good, I don't wanna. Last time I tried it, I kinda blew up and I really don't feel like exploding today to be honest" 

Azula and Toph were wonderful benders, if he can't create simple lighting without exploding, it'll look bad. He couldn't, he didn't wanna try or, at least not in front of them. He knew deep down that neither of them would judge him, Azula knew he was always a rusty Firebender and Toph believed he was good enough as he was. 

But the shame wouldn't come from them, it would come from him. Deep within himself, reminding him he wasn't anything but a failure. 

And Zuko wasn't really one for the dramatics- oh who was he kidding, of course he was. He felt his emotions so passionately that it was hard to think without them influencing all his decisions. Now he was expected to throw that all out the window and be what? Fucking calm?

"But it's such a powerful and useful move that-..." Azula stopped herself mid argue and took a deep breath, "Okay, I'm not gonna push you if you don't wanna, Zuzu" 

She's not gonna push him? Azula? His Azula?  Holy crap, Toph must have really given her all in those therapy sessions, he remembered his therapy with Toph too. They helped a lot as well and really changed his way of thinking, but he never thought she could help Azula this much this quickly. That's crazy.

His sister spoke again, "Why don't we just scream Lightningbending commands at Toph until she masters it?"

Hey, that's an idea he can get behind. 

"I like the sound of that"

Toph gave a loud, annoying laugh, "Jokes on you losers! I work extremely well under pressure!" She grinned pridefully before swaying her arms in sharp movements, shooting out another bolt of lightning at the rock. 

BOOM!

It was certainly a stronger hit than before but not nearly as powerful as Azula's. 

His sister scoffed, "You call that lightning? I've seen static from carpets do more damage than that!" 

"I'll show you static!" 

Toph shoots more lighting, trying to fire with both hands simultaneously. But she couldn't really yet and they ended up coming out in weaker blows than before. 

Zuko knew that the only reason Azula and Toph were so good was because they trained so much but there was still so much to amount to... 





It's been a couple hours since they began their Firebending training, mainly focusing on Toph's lightning, trying to increase her skill as fast and as much as they possibly could before the end of today. 

Although she never said it, Zuko knew Azula was nervous. She was so worried about the comet that even he could see it (and he was incredibly dense, he can admit it). So if he could see it, he was sure Toph picked it up miles away. 

Azula was anxious which made her push Toph to her limits and Toph was already ready for the challenge and didn't want Azula to worry so she kept trying to exceed the expectations of her sensei. 

Actually, it was a good thing his sister was so nervous. It helped Toph gain better control by making her work even harder than she usually does. Zuko was anxious too, the fate of the world rests in their hands. In their ability to stop airships, in capturing the Capital, in defeating the Fire Lord. So he was guilty of pushing as well. 

But at least the sun was still high in the sky, they still had time. 

There were multiple rocks and slabs erected from the ground and Toph stood in the center of it all, electrocuting one after another. From his experience in watching people Lightningbend all his life, Zuko knew that her power could be stronger and her movements could be faster but she'll get there. 

But besides that, the Avatar was really owning up to this new challenge, she was handling it without a single back thought. Toph had told him that the hardest element for her to learn was Waterbending because of its implementation of both positive and negative jing and while at the time of learning, she was only used to neutral. But as she practiced vigorously, she got better and more adjusted. 

She said she counted herself lucky in learning her hardest element first because after that, Fire and Air were just sorely positive and solely negative so it was easier to concentrate on just one or the other after being forced to incorporate both simultaneously for so long. 

After destroying rock after rock, Toph hummed in slight frustration, wiping her face of buckets of sweat, "I noticed that even though lightning's more concentrated than fire, it's harder to control," She said before adding, "Not that it's hard, I can handle anything" That damn pride will be the death of her one day, he swears it 

"Well you're doing wonderfully so far. Don't worry about it, it gets easier when you keep practicing," Azula reassured her before she smiled at an idea in her head, "Watch" 

Zuko observed as his sister's index and middle fingers pressed together, a current of bright static twitched around them as she pointed it at the ground in front of her. She seared at the pavement and after a couple seconds, she smiled pridfully and blew the smoke off her fingers. 

She had spelled her name in the stone with the ash and char created by her electricity. It was script and very fancy. 

"You… shot at the ground?" Toph scratched her head 

"What? No. I spelled my name out, I'm showing you my control over-... annnd I forgot you can't see…" His sister face palmed, cursing to herself 

Toph laughed boyishly, "You're bound to remember someday!" She smiled before adding on a more serious note, "But seriously, is there any way to help my control? Lightning's kinda… sporadic if that's the right word"

"Hm… I think I might," Azula bit one of her nails in thought, "Look, even though Firebending is all about power, lightning can become more precise when practicing with smaller quantities," As she spoke, she pressed a finger on the tip of Toph's nose, "Like so" 

Um? Why is she bopping Toph's nose? Was was she-

"Ow!" Toph hissed, quickly raising her hands to her nose with a pout 

Ah, that's it. Azula gave her a small jolt of electricity, sending it through her finger and zapping Toph's nose.

"Concentrating your power into small zaps helps increase your control over your overall charges and attacks, it makes you more mindful of how much strength is going into it," She explained thoughtfully, "You try, just focus on your fingers instead of your whole body"

"So what? Like Lightningbending but smaller?" Toph asked before his sister nodded in response 

The 12 year old took a deep breath, Firebending always comes from that, and focused on her fingers. In about half a minute, Zuko began to hear the static and crackling from her fingers, small sparks flying off the tips of them.  

"Ew," She says, analyzing her fingers with a small shake, she cackled, " Cooool"

Zuko knew that if Sokka or someone actually logical were here, they would tell him to quit worrying. That it's okay that Toph doesn't master lightning in one day (as much of try hards she and Azula are, it's impossible). She has pretty good control and a general idea of it, which is more than he could say for most Firebenders. And she has four entire elements at her disposal, one of which she is the greatest in and another is a dead art. 

Toph is incredibly skilled (so much better than him) and Azula has been an amazing teacher (she should've just taught her from the start, she's so much smarter) and everyone's fine. 

Again, he knew comparing was bad but he just couldn't help himself. It was hard when you were surrounded by people who are so much better than you. 

Sure, he has swords over them but at the same time, Azula created blue fire and was probably one of the strongest Firebenders in the Fire Nation currently and Toph invented three new ways of sight and Metalbending and purple fire! And what has he done? Light the tips of his swords on fire? 

"And you're sure you don't wanna try, Zuzu?" Azula asked from behind him, slowly reaching her arm out for him to place on his shoulder, she hesitated before stopping entirely, letting it fall limply back to her side 

"Azula, I'm fine. I just don't wanna" 

In all the hours they have been out here already, Azula never stopped asking him that question, it was almost like she wanted him to bend it. That she wanted to share this experience and help him learn it. Like she wanted to return the favor maybe. But he couldn't. He knew he couldn't, especially not in front of them, so he always declined.  

The idea of trying and failing not only the two but also failing himself as a Firebender sounded terrible. It wasn't necessarily an inner turmoil persay, more of an irrational fear or something. Well, if fear of disappointing yourself counts as an irrational fear.

But at the end of the day, Zuko continued to refuse to try the lightning in front of them- 

Suddenly, he felt a pair of tiny hands on his back. 

They sent a purposely weak jolt of energy into him, or wasn't really a zap or a shock but it was just enough to send a wave of static up his spine which caused his hair to stand up on it's own!

It was followed by a low, animalistic cackle.  

"Ack!" He jumped slightly at the surprise, effectively snapping him out of his downward spiralling thoughts

Zuko sharply turned on his heel, face red in frustration as he glared down at Toph who had a grin much too large for her small face that he so desperately wanted to punch off. In the back of his mind, he had a feeling she was aware of his negative thoughts and only used this as a way to help him out of it but that didn't matter, he was angry now!

Toph stood on her tiptoes and reached her hand up to the top of his head and felt his now stiff hair, "Hey, it worked! Oh, this is gonna be fun!" 

All considerable thoughts and ideas of common decency were thrown out the window, it was basically a rule when dealing with this fucking kid, "Yeah? You know what else is gonna be fun?" He asked as he snatched her wrist out of his hair, "Me killing you" 

The literal spirit of the world somehow made her grin stretch wider, with her free hand, she jabbed two fingers directly into his side, a small jolt of electricity ran through him, " Zap!" 

"ACK!" He shrieked again, this time much louder than before. Startled and caught off guard, Zuko let go of her hand which allowed her to begin speeding off, laughing, "Hey, wait! Come back here!" 

He growled and went to chase her but the moment he began running, he was tripped by Azula's outstretched foot.

____________________

"Toph, this is probably the stupidest idea you've ever come up with"

"So are all ideas in the beginning"

"Toph, your banjo is on fire" 

Toph was standing in the middle of the courtyard with Katara sitting in front of her on the fountain. It was late afternoon and Katara told her the sun was in the middle of setting. Her training with Zuko and Azula finished not too long ago. 

And oh yeah, her banjo was on fire. 

Well, not a big fire, purple flames danced on the body of her insinstrument she held it tightly by the neck, "I'm just trying something" 

She could feel her girlfriend raise a glob of water out from the fountain, "Try what? How to burn the house down? Can I just put it out before you hurt us both?"

Toph shook her head, "Actually, I'm just trying to see if I can try and incorporate my banjo into my bending!"

The Waterbender leaned back against her hands and folded her legs in a weird way, "And why would you do that?" 

"Because I already did it with Airbending," Toph replied as the purple fire on the instrument blew out. She swung at the air, powerful gusts of wind slashed out of the edge of it to show the Waterbender. 

When she stopped, she relit the banjo once again, "I saw Zuko do this once but with his swords, it was really cool. He was like channeling the flames down to his blade"

From all her knowledge of bending, Toph knew it was possible to channel your element into items. Like what she just said, Zuko did it with Firebending. And Aang had told her that Airbenders use their staffs to aid in not just flying, but in combat as well. 

And if they can do it, why couldn't she? 

"Well, that does sound impressive but," Karara leaned forward slightly, "Aren't you scared of it breaking?" 

"My banjo's stronger than ever now that it's metal, it can take it! And if anything I can just Metalbend it back together," The worst thing she had to worry about regarding her beloved instrument breaking was if she didn't have anymore metal to work with if the pieces somehow got separated, but that's a rare chance of happening, "Here, watch this"

Ever the show off with a strong desire to impress an immensely powerful girl, Toph stomped on the ground and a dozen giant chunks of Earth came out from the ground. The Avatar lifted her banjo by the base and shot out large balls of fire from the neck of it and at the rocks. 

BAM 

BAM 

BAM 

Giant bursts of flames erupted from the force of her shots and in a fit of continuous pride and flaunting, the Earthbender adjusted her grip on the instrument before unleashing a thick stream of fire from it, spraying the last of the remaining rocks. 

As she did this, Toph couldn't help but wonder how else she would be able to use her instrument to her advantage, not just musically.

Maybe for Earthbending she could slam it on the ground, causing the rocks around her to launch into the air? (That sounds so cool!) Or for Water swaying it with her movements, helping guide and lead the water. Like a snake charmer, but with water she supposed (which sounds even cooler!).

But in reality, while this was supposed to help her, to increase her power, it was also just an experiment. How much can Toph push the boundaries of bending itself? The absolute strengths and limitations of achievement, the possibilities were at her fingertips really with her ability to bend all four .

She will be able to experiment even more with this when the war ends though, after the comet. And of course it's a when

Ozai isn't a challenge, he himself isn't a threat, he's just a weak man with a large army and a giant space rock. And Toph had no plans of holding back against him, she had the four elements and the Avatar State on her side, there was no way he could win. No way he could destroy the world, burn down her home and kill her people.

Toph couldn't lose, she won't lose. Not after everything that's happened, her friends, her memories, her family, she was winning this war for them , she will beat Ozai for them and bring about an era of peace because there is no other option and she was never one to dance around the results. 

"Alright you show off, you done yet?" Katara asked with an exaggerated sigh (sometimes she can even be more dramatic than Sokka

The Avatar turned her head to face her with a crooked grin, "I just wanna see one more thing" 

Toph readjusted the banjo in her hands so now she was properly holding it the way it was intended to be held instead of how she was holding it by the neck. She focused her energy and chi into the metal and she could hear the familiar cracking of electricity that she's been hearing all day.

She started to grin maniacally as jolts of electricity bounced and jumped through the instrument, she could feel it. It was coursing and rushing, eager to be set free. As a safety precaution, Toph turned so her back was facing Katara.

It was just one more thing, what could go wrong really? So what if she...

Toph strummed the strings of the strings of the banjo, volts of electricity and heat began building up even more so. It needed to be released. 

Circuits spasmed around the instrument, crackling and stinging her hands and arms as she continued to play more chords. Metal was an excellent conductor of both heat and electricity. 

Toph was sure this was what lightning redirection felt like, probably not exactly but a little. Holding onto all this energy, this exhilarating energy was incredible! 

She cocked her body to one side, aiming the neck towards one of the rocks and- 

BOOM!

White, hot lightning shot out like a bullet and at one of the rocks, and it fucking exlopded. Toph stumbled back from the sheer force of it right until her back bumped into a sitting Katara, who unconsciously placed her hands on her shoulders from behind securely. 

They both stayed there in silence for a little bit.

Holy shit. 

Her banjo made her lightning so much stronger than she was able to produce on her own!

Toph guessed it was because it was building up instead of being shot out quickly, she's going to have to start remembering that when she Lightningbends with just her hands. 

But it worked . Not only can she focus her flames down to the base of her banjo and shoot fire out from it, lightning is also a possibility. And she bet she looked so cool when all the electricity and energy was surrounding her.  

"I'm gonna have to work on that" She said, half a laugh coming with her 

Katara nodded wordless before adding, "One of these days, you're gonna give me a heart attack" 

____________________

It was late, really late. Everyone else was asleep, having gone to bed a couple hours ago already. Everything was done, their bags were packed, their training was semi finished, they were leaving tomorrow. 

They were leaving tomorrow morning to start traveling. To get to the Capital and capture airships and Zuko was only a little bit anxious. 

He was outside on the dark sand beach in the front. And to keep things short-

BOOM! 

He was failing miserably. At what? He was failing to generate lightning. It wasn't working out too well, everytime he tried to create a giant burst of lightning, it always blew up in his face.

Literally.

But he doesn't understand, he is happy! As much as he is angst and gloom, he's so happy that he could hardly keep it all in his body. He loves his friends and is glad he's fighting on the good side, what could he be doing wrong?! 

Why can't he handle simple electricity?! Why is he such a shitty bender!? Why can't he be as good as Toph, or Azula?! He was upset, okay?!

He just kept failing, trying time after time, after time, after time again but all he got was a cloud of smoke and more frustration pressing onto his body. This was festering, building up. 

"You're gonna hurt yourself if you keep doing it wrong" 

Zuko heard a tired voice from behind him. It was Azula, she must have woken up from all the noise. He hadn't even heard her coming from all the explosions. 

He watched her yawn and rub her eyes and he was reminded of how young his sister really was, "What in the world are you doing up so late, Zuzu?" 

He turned back around refusing to face her again, "Nothing. Go back to bed, Azula" 

"I can't exactly, not with Toph training in the courtyard and I suppose you training out here in the front for some reason," She shrugged before sitting down on the sand, "Don't mind me" 

And didn't mind her. Zuko moved his arms in a circular motion, the same way he studied Azula and Toph do before, and jerked his arm forward-

BOOM 

Another explosion which caused him to stumble back. He glanced back at Azula, who wore a surprised look. 

Zuko grumbled in frustration, plopping down on the sand next to his sister, he brought his knees into his chest and hugged them, burying his face in his limbs, "Ugggggghhhh…" 

"Are you trying to make lightning?" 

"Yes but I'm a total failure"

"Why's that?" 

He turned his head up a little bit, looking at Azula, "Because I can't generate simple lightning! Before I thought it was because of my inner turmoil -which it was- but even now without all that shit, I still can't do it. I'm a shit Firebender and I can't ever be as good as you and it makes me fucking angry" 

He's angry and upset and hurt. He feels a like a fucking idiot, why couldn't he just get it right? Why did he have to be so simple minded that he couldn't even wrap his head around a move and technique that was now explained to him twice already?  

"You know no one wins in comparing, right?" She asked before resting a reassuring hand on his back, "Come on, Zuzu. You know better than to doubt yourself at this point. You were the second person in history to learn how to redirect lightning, you just taught the Avatar how to do it which could probably save her annoying little life," She explained, "You're not too shabby of a bender as well, but I guess that's what to expect from a master afterall" 

She was speaking sincerely, that much he knew. But despite his sister's truth, Zuko still couldn't believe it, "I never invented any new bending moves, my fire isn't any other colour and I can't even generate lightning, I can't call myself a master" 

She stayed quiet as he continued to speak, "Uncle tried to teach me lightning, I couldn't do it. He did it in the exact same way you taught Toph and she got it no problem, so what's wrong with me? Why can't I do it like everyone else? I'm so fucking stupid!" He grabbed a fistful of his hair in anger, "It doesn't matter that I'm the second person ever to learn redirection, the only reason I learned it is because I couldn't make lightning! How can I call myself a master when I can't even do that right!?" 

"You... Think there's something wrong with you for not being good?" 

"No- yes! I mean, I dunno, yes I guess. I had Uncle to teach me and I learned moves from you but I'm still bad, obviously there's something wrong!" 

What was wrong with her?! What kind of question was that? Of course there was something wrong, he was a fucking idiot with a sword who couldn't do anything!

Azula's voice grew firm and serious, "Zuko, I'm gonna tell you something and I'm only gonna say this once so listen," She spoke clearly, resting both hands firmly on his shoulders, "There is nothing wrong with you for not being able to learn something, okay?" 

"But Uncle-"

"Uncle was wrong, maybe he went about your teachings in the wrong way. Maybe lightning is too much for you"

Zuko huffed, "Oh wow, thanks"

"Wh- no, you know I didn't mean it like that! I meant that all at once, it can be a lot and if I learned one thing with all these weirdos here, it's that everyone learns at their own paces. It's okay to start small," She reassured him and then with a small pause before speaking with a shrug, "The zaps are a good exercise"

Her words bounced around in his head. Starting small, everyone learning at their own pace.

It was normal and just because he needed to be taught things slower didn't make him stupid or wrong, it just made him a person who simply needed more time. And there was nothing wrong with that. 

Azula believed in him, she was willing to help him as well. He started too big too soon, jumping straight to lightning without realizing that he might need a little more than that. She was offering the zaps as an alternative for now. 

Zuko stared down at his hands. 

'Concentrating your power into small zaps helps increase your control over your overall charges and attacks, it makes you more mindful of how much strength is going into it. Just focus on your fingers instead of your whole body'

Her words from earlier echoed through his mind, beginning small, focusing on his fingers… 

His ears filled with the sound of cracking and he watched as small charges of electricity bounce off his tips.

It tingled. 

Holy shit he fucking did it. 

Zuko's eyes widened as he heard Azula gasp. She was right, he was thinking too big! He needed to go slower, to go smaller, to work his way up. 

Without even thinking, his first reaction was poking Azula's arm with his fingers, watching her hair stand on edge as goosebumps dotted her body, 

She jumped and glared at him, "This could've been a very sentimental moment and you ruined it!" She spoke before her own fingers crackled and laughed, zapping him back 

They continued jabbing each other with energized fingers. Her pokes were much stronger than his but that was… okay. He still has time to learn, there was nothing wrong in taking his time. 

The two went on for a couple minutes, laughing and cackling as they zapped each other on the sand. 

And for the first time in a long time, he felt like a normal kid. Just a boy playing around with his sister, that they both weren't banished by their nation, that they weren't in the middle of a war, that they might die in a few days. It felt nice 

All of a sudden Zuko understood why Aang and Toph played so much, why they played 'Capture the Avatar' or joked or messed around. They were both considerably younger than him by four whole years.  

He understood why they played, why Sokka and Katara teased each other endlessly, why Ty Lee loved to braid hair, why all these kids acted liked kids. 

It was because they are kids. 

All the power in the world and they were all still just kids, kids who sometimes wanted to be kids. There was nothing wrong with that, in fact, it's good they all had each other to let loose with. 

When their laughter died down, he and Azula sat back together in silence. Comfortable silence. It wasn't awkward, he wasn't expecting anything, it was just… silence. 

It was so funny looking back now, thinking about how much he stressed over their awkwardness around each other and now look at them, shocking each other with tiny bolts of electricity and being friends. He was sure Toph would so fucking proud and happy. 

He wondered if Azula shared similar thoughts. Zuko knew they both had a long way to go in not just their relationship with each other but in themselves in general but there was no rush. 

Those words comforted him in a way that he never felt before. 

In his life, there was always a rush. Rush to learn Firebending, rush to restore his honor, to kill the Avatar, rush to fight for Omashu. In his life, he needed to move fast, he knew this. 

Or he thought he did. 

But for himself and his own development, he could move at whatever pace he wanted. It felt freeing that realization. 

Suddenly, his ears perked up at the sound of…

Footsteps. A couple of them.  

It didn't come from behind them where the house was, it came from the left, down the side of the beach. It seemed that Azula heard it too and perked up. 

They glanced at each other before jumping to their feet, their hands igniting in orange and blue flames respectively, both completely prepared to fight. 

It was dark and the only light source came from their fires which didn't help much to reveal the tall, dark figures that were slowly approaching. 

Who were those people? What did they want? Were they here to hurt them?! 

He squinted through the darkness as he screamed, stepping in front of his sister,, "WHO'S THERE!? SHOW YOURSELVES!" 

"At ease, your highnesses" 

Uh… 

"Master Piandao?" 

Zuko relaxed as the group finally emerged from the dark shadows and into their orange and blue lights. Master Piandao (what was he doing here?) Was there with… Three other old guys? 

And what are they wearing? Are those matching robes? 

Well now he's really confused. 

One of the old men with a hunch and squinted left eye grinned, "Hey there!" 

"Uh…" 

"What's all the screaming out here?" He heard Sokka call out from down the path 

Zuko turned around and saw not only Sokka, but Suki, Katara and Aang all walking towards the group, coming down the path tiredly. He must have woken them up with his screaming, he wondered if the others were awake as well.  

"Okay, someone better start explaining what the hell is going on before I just start blindly attacking" Azula said, lowering her fists just slightly 

"I'm just as confused as you are-" Zuko started but was cut off by loud stomping 

" Oh shi- Master Pakku!?" Katara screamed, rushing up to them with the rest of the group, who all wore large smiles and faces of remembrance. They seemed to know all four of these guys, so at least they knew they could trust them 

Katara bowed to Master Pakku (?), who bowed back, "It's so good to see you, Master Pakku!" She exclaimed before her eyes glanced between not only himself and Azula but to Aang and Suki as well, "This is Master Pakku, he was my Waterbending master while we were at the Northern Water Tribe" 

"Yeah, who she beat the sexism out of!" Sokka cackled which earned a glare from the old man

"Watch it, boy…" 

The 14 year old Waterbender turned to look back at him, "Did you ever make it to the Southern Water Tribe like you said you would?" 

"Yes, I did. Rebuilding is slow but the progress is steady. And well…" He trailed off slightly sheepishly, "Me and Kanna, we're friends but that's all. As much as I love her, she doesn't love me and I'm alright with that"

Ummm, what? Who the fuck is Kanna? What the fuck is happening?

Aang jumped in front of him and over to the hold made with the squint, "Bumi!" 

"Hey, Aang! How are you?" He cackled, patting the boy on his turban 

"Tired and confused!" 

"HA! Welcome to being old!" 

Zuko was about to say something along the lines of 'I'm so confused, can someone please tell me what the fuck is happening and why all these old people plus my old swordsmaster is here?' But was cut short due to the Earth underneath them giving a powerful rumble. 

Toph leaped out from the ground, " Kooky!" She exclaimed excitedly, falling right into Bumi's arms 

"Junior!" He shouted with the same amount of enthusiasm. 'Junior'? Is this guy Toph's grandpa or something? 

"I knew it was you! I can feel those old legs anywhere!" She smiled as she jumped back to the ground before turning her attention back to the rest and she asked with a large smile, "What's happening?"

Sokka shook his head, "Welcome to the party," He said before gesturing towards another old man with shaggy white hair, "This is Jeong Jeong, guys. He was supposed to teach Toph Firebending but ran off" 

"If I remember correctly, you were the ones who ran off" 

"Yeah yeah, whatever," The Water Tribe boy blew air from his mouth before gesturing to Master Piandao, "And this is… uh… Wait, who are you?" 

Zuko smiled and grabbed Sokka's hand, "That's Master Piandao, my old swords teacher" 

It took a moment for Sokka to process that before his mouth flung open, he gawked silently between both Zuko and Piandao, "You mean that he-! when you were little-! this is the guy-! swords-! younger-! Master Piandao!" He bowed 

"Oh uh, hello," The man bowed back slightly confused, he glanced at Zuko with a smile, "And hello to you too, Zuko" 

"Okay. Now that introductions are out of the way," Azula cut in obnoxiously, "How do you all know each other?" 

"I think we're all wondering that" Suki spoke in agreement 

"We're all part of the same ancient secret society," Jeong Jeong spoke, "A group that transcends the divisions of the four nations" 

"The Order of the White Lotus!" Aang finished for them before abruptly stopping 

The younger group all stared at him, confused. How the fuck did Aang . Know about this secret organization? 

"Uh…" He began anxiously, "Lucky guess…?" 

"Lucky guess indeed, Aang! You've always been such a good guesser!" Bumi grinned 

"Uh… Anyway," Pakku started, "The White Lotus has always been about philosophy and beauty and truth. But about a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important"

Now it was Piandao's turn to speak, "It came from a Grand Lotus: Iroh of the Fire Nation" 

Fucking what? 

"Hold on, Uncle is part of this secret club?" Azula repeated in disbelief 

And better yet, he escaped fucking prison? 

"Well, actually it's more of a secret organization-" 

"Alright alright, but Uncle? How did this even start? Is the whole thing filled with old people? Oh please tell me you have more members" 

"Well of course there are more members, young lady who took over my city" 

"Oh holy crap, you're King Bumi?" Zuko asked 

Azula raised an eyebrow, "Well, I'm good now so don't exclude me from this elite club. And how did you even get out? Didn't my men throw you in a metal box?" 

He cackled, "Well you didn't cover my head," He said, "I liberated my city in under eight minutes!" 

"What?! How?!" Katara screeched 

"The Day of Black Sun! You waited until then, didn't you?" Toph smiled

"Yep!" 

Zuko counted quickly on his fingers, "That's… two months!?" No way this guy stayed in a metal box for two months waiting for the damn eclipse

"That's nothing, I once waited six years for a perfect moment" Toph folded her arms 

"Try twenty" Bumi responded 

Spirits, they were both insane. 

"Alright well besides you two and your weird obsession with patience," Sokka said, shoving through them so now he was standing square in the middle of them all, "Why're you all here? How did you find us?" 

"Iroh told us you might be here, we came to bring you all to a White Lotus camp that's stationed not too far from where we are right now," Piandao explained, "It's closer to the sea and we'll be able to wait for the comet there" 

There are White Lotus camps? Plural? How many people are part of this organization? The rest seemed to trust them enough though. 

"We'll go wake everyone up"

Notes:

Zuko is a slow learner AND! THAT'S! OKAY!!!! I mean, o headcanon him as one bc I love him very much and there's not a single person in Avatar that's neurotypical.

And for this, him realizing he's a slower learner and has different needs, that he can't compare his progress to others, it's tied to his own personal arc of understanding that not everything is a race. Throughout this whole AU (and in the actual show), he's always in such a RUSH and he needs to learn to just,,,, take things slow

PEOPLE LEARN AT DIFFERENT PACES!!!! INSTEAD OF SHAMING THEM FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING SOMETHING, TRY TO FIND A BETTER WAY TO HELP THEM LEARN!!!!

That's why Azula showed Zuko the zap, starting small, doing things in smaller doses instead of rushing head first into everything!

Also, did I make Toph be able to bend with her banjo because it was funny or because I LOOOOVE playing around with sub bending?

 

 

Yes.

HAJDKAHDJA THE WHITE LOTUS IS HERE!!! MY FAVORITE OLD MAN GANG!!!

We're seeing Iroh next chapter, I hope you're as excited as I am!!!!!

Chapter 14: Old People Camp

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After waking up the rest of the team, Azula and the others followed the four old White Lotus members to one of the dozens of the organization's camps that were apparently scattered throughout the world. She was told there are scholars and master benders who were members of this hushed society. 

Why in the world would they name it after the white lotus tile of Pai Sho? Maybe this really was just an overly exaggerated old people club. Azula hoped that this didn't cause them to have a last minute change of plans. If there was one thing she liked about Sokka, it was his persistent need to stick to a plan. For a master Firebender who has to specialize in positive jing, she liked strategizing and respected their like-mindedness.  

They traveled all through the entire night in order to make it to the safe zone, now it was mid morning and the camp was just coming into sight. The passage here gave Azula plenty of time to think. 

First of all, Zuko Lightningbent and the only word she could use to describe her feelings about it would be… Pride. So much pride, she was overjoyed that she was able to teach him and return the favor after he had taught her lightning redirection. 

Well, obviously she didn't just teach him so she wouldn't be in his debt, Azula did it because she… well, because she cared for Zuko. She cared about him more right now than she ever did in her entire life and was only now just realizing how fucked up that was.

From early childhood they were pitted against each other, her as father's favorite and his as mother's. Two completely different driving forces that led to their intense difference of treatment and how they viewed the other as a whole. Toph was able to figure that out within their first two meetings while it took her 14 years to even come close. 

Now she was only slightly worried about how things would go after they reached the camp. Uncle will be there, he hasn't seen her since the invasion and even then, it was very brief. She hadn't hugged him goodbye, it was far too early at the time and now, nearly three months later here she was, shaking in her very shoes over the idea of seeing him again. What made it all worse was that she knew for a fact that Zuko was probably extremely excited to reunite with him once again.

Her, along with the others, followed behind the old men, their conversations and commentary being one of the only things helping them stay awake during the night but they'll live.

But now they were here, the camp was just in view- or, a giant wall of stone Earth was surrounding where she assumed the camp would be. 

"Welp! Welcome to Old People Camp, everyone. Make yourselves at home- but not for long!" Bumi cackled, joking about their impending battle which made her eyebrow twitch

There were a couple of tense murmurs heard around her. None of them could believe that the comet is literally in two days. 

Frankly, she could hardly believe it herself. Two days. In two days, the fate of the world will be decided. In two days her father, the man who she idolized and worked so hard to make proud of, will die. Well, him or Toph will die but she can't even imagine a world where the Avatar dies, she's far too strong, far too stubborn to die. That much she knew. 

(She doesn't wanna think that although there is a small chance, Toph could actually die. That today, after she leaves, it may be the last time she will ever see her. As much as she hated to admit it, she was actually quite attached to the little punk, she's helped her so much and Azula had to give the credit that without Toph, she wouldn't be standing here with everyone else right now, she would be in the Fire Nation, still ever the loyal to her father.) 

After a minute or two of more walking, they reached the large walls and Bumi stomped hard on the ground, a giant section fell down, retreating back into the ground, he turned to the group with a large grin, "Youngsters first!"

Inside, Azula couldn't help but admire all the work that was going on. After the wall closed back up, she glanced around. 

There were dozens of adults, running around and completing tasks needed to prepare for the comet, they were all wearing the same blue and white robes. Hundreds of medium sized tents dotted the closed-off vicinity and she bit her lip at the idea of a specific someone she was dreading seeing being in one of them. 

"Wow, this place is… not what I expected" Katara blinked, taking in all the hustle and bustle 

"Yeah I'm gonna be honest, I was expecting shuffle board or something" Haru said with a shrug 

Pakku gave an audible huff, "We're old but not that old you know," He shook his head before grumbling, "Kids…"

The men led the group through the area, showing them around and introducing them to higher ranking members. 

Higher ranking members… It was only a matter of time before they got to Uncle, he was the Grand Lotus (an incredibly stupid name but it obviously held a lot of weight). He hadn't said a single word to her back during the eclipse, probably too shocked to speak. But it's been a while, he's had time to think about it which made her slightly nervous. 

She actually wanted to have a relationship with him, as pathetic as she felt admitting it (but she reminded herself that having companionship wants like family is completely normal). But what if he didn't? What if he had this time to think about it and realized that the reason that he was even in jail in the first place was because of her? That the burning of the Earth Kingdom during the coming comet was accidentally all her idea? 

She began to anxiously twiddle with a strand of her hair.

Azula didn't want to think of the possibility that he couldn't ever give her a chance. That everything she had done in her whole life, her hatred towards Zuko when they were younger, the conquering of the Earth Kingdom, the near killing of the Avatar, he wouldn't love her after that. 

Granted, he never loved her to begin with but the idea of someone giving her a chance like Toph did, it sounded nice but it also sounded rare. 

She snapped out of her thoughts when she felt a light tug on her shirt and she turned down to look only to see that Toph's complete attention was on her, "You okay?"

Spirits, she always forgets her ability to read her heart, it's most likely beating like crazy despite her calm, deminor on the outside. She scoffed slightly, "I think I should be asking you that, you're the one who's facing the Fire Lord in two days"

"You're important too," The Avatar said so quickly it felt like an instinct, "You can tell me if you want"  

Toph was willing to give her a choice, to give her an out in case of anything. This was her decision to share if she wanted to. She nearly declined the offer automatically but bit her tongue. Maybe sharing will make her feel better, it has certainly helped before…  

After making sure they were lagging behind the group a little bit and out of ear shot, she spoke, "It's just Uncle… the last time we spoke well… we didn't exactly speak, it was right before the adults had gotten taken away during the eclipse. What if he doesn't give me another chance? I've been a terror my whole life, I can't be exactly easy to forgive," She admitted rather ashamedly, "Someone can only know this one part of you and just think that's all you are, it can be hard to change their minds. I dunno, I'm sure you don't get it, it was stupid anway-"

"No, I get it," Toph nodded, "I understand that… A lot. Changing how people see you is hard, mainly because it's not your mind you're changing, it's theirs," She spoke with the wisdom of experience, "But Iroh is really smart and understanding, I'm sure if I can forgive you after you nearly killed me, he can forgive you for being mean because of your dad" 

What she said made sense, but Toph was an outlier. She was so determined to save everyone that of course she could easily forgive Azula even after everything, "And if he doesn't?" Without Uncle, she wouldn't have any other family left besides Zuko, she doesn't want to be alone

"Then he doesn't. You still have Zuko, and Mai, and Ty Lee, and you definitely got me, and everyone else too," Toph grinned up at the 14 year old, pointing a thumb at herself, "You're not alone, you're not ever gonna be alone again but," The Earthbender rested a hand on Azula's upper arm, "He's not gonna do that, he isn't like that. Give him a chance"

She would have to give him a chance by trusting him in the same way he was going to give her a chance by forgiving her. 

Trust and relationships are a two way street, they need to be equal. She's learned so much about these things in such a short time staying with these weird kids in that depressing summer home than she ever did back home. 

"So where's my uncle?" Her ears perked up at Zuko's question, who was standing more towards the front with Aang 

Bumi shrugged, "He's probably sleeping, I'm pretty sure he was up all night waiting for us to come back with you guys" 

"He gave us a number of places to search for you guys," Pakku added, "The summer home was near the end of the list"

Azula watched with bated breath as Jeong Jeong pointed to one of the tents on their right, "His tent is right over there"

Her brother nodded eagerly and began to rush towards the tent but then stopped abruptly. He turned on his heel and walked towards the end of the group that was now starting to move again.

Zuko stayed standing right in front of Azula, "Do you uh… do you wanna come too?" He asked, unsure if his question would have upset her, "He's your Uncle too"

"You were always closer to him" She spoke calmly, acting if it this wasn't exactly what she was just worrying about 

Maybe she shouldn't go, it was much too soon for any sort of conversation between them. And hey, maybe she'll die during the comet and this whole thing was just extremely insignificant in the grand span of things!

But the moment she felt Toph's hand on her arm moved towards her back, she knew that that was wrong, "Let him see your new haircut, show him how good it looks"

The Avatar's words had a double meaning, she knew that for a fact. The 12 year old meant ' talk to him, show him how much you've changed. How much healthier you've become'. Toph knew she needed to do this, Azula knew she needed to as well. 

Azula took a deep breath before nodding, "Alright, let's go" 

They left the Earthbender just as a random White Lotus member came up to her and began talking her ear off and they were both silently glad they left when they did. 

It was a short walk to Iroh's small, quilted quarters and Azula tried to remember the conversation from just a few seconds ago. Uncle can forgive her, logically she knew there was a good chance that he would but anxiety always finds a way to disprove solid evidence. 

Zuko had walked in first with Azula trailing behind. Inside and basically hiding behind her older brother, Iroh was sitting in front of a low table, drinking from a cup. He didn't seem to notice them at first since his eyes were closed but the moment he opened them, he blinked and nearly spit out his tea (which was a first).

Whether he did that in surprise over seeing Zuko or her, she didn't know because in a split second, he was standing and Zuko ran to him, jumping over the small table and embracing him in a tight hug. 

" Uncle!" Zuko exclaimed, squeezing the old man, who only returned it with the same vigor, "I missed you so much!" 

Uncle gave a hearty laugh, "I missed you too, nephew" 

The 16 year old pulled back slightly to make eye contact with him, "How did you escape?! You were part of some secret organization this whole time?"

"How I managed to escape is a very long story that I believe I will save for another time. And I apologize for not saying anything about the Order of the White Lotus, like all members, I am sworn to secrecy"

Zuko sounded like he was going to say more but just couldn't find the words, his back was facing her so she couldn't see his face but she could see him shaking. He hugged Uncle tight once again, crying softly into his wide shoulders.

Iroh smiled warmly and patted his nephew's back. They stayed like that for a while until the man's eyes trailed from the floor and all the way to her shoes, where his eyes began to gaze up to her face, she was still standing frozen at the entrance. Azula unconsciously straightened her posture when she made serious eye contact.

His face was completely blank, as if processing events or the ideas that crossed his mind. She wanted so desperately to know what was going on in his head and usually, she was good at that, Azula was always one step ahead.

Until she wasn't. 

Planning wars, conquering territories, fighting, that was easy. Inferring her opponent's next move based on their fighting style, weak points and mind set. That was easy, fighting was easy. But this? This wasn't fighting. 

This was hoping so much that one of your last remaining family members could love you. This was forgiveness and trust and redemption. It wasn't anything she had ever experienced before and she was so scared

Azula was taught for combat, learned for evil, lived for war. This was so new and she had only had a month to try and get used to it all. She had been doing a good job so far with Zuko and the rest. But Uncle? Uncle was different, he was an adult. He was someone who has experienced not just her but the man who wanted her this way, their father. He could have extremely different opinions on her. 

After a couple more moments of the most intense anxiety she's ever experienced in her young life, Iroh's face shifted into a smile, the same loving smile that he had given Zuko, the smile she had never received from a family member before. His eyes were watery and he held his arm out for her, his other still on Zuko's back. 

He wanted her to join the hug.  

Azula hadn't even realized she was moving until she squeezed herself in the hug, her and Zuko shoving to try and hug their Uncle more. She had bit her lip, trying to force herself to keep the tears from falling but it was rubbish, she felt them roll down her cheeks before she knew it. He had forgiven her. 

"I'm sorry, Azula," Iroh apologized, squeezing them both tighter, why was he apologizing? He was the one who was supposed to forgive her, not the other way around, "I had failed to give you the proper guidance you deserved. I knew what your father was doing, I should have been there for you like how I was for Zuko. I'm so very sorry , please forgive me"

He felt bad for… not helping her? For not being there in the way he was for Zuko, but no. That doesn't make any sense, she should've gone to him for help but she never did. She was in charge of her actions.

Azula pushed back a bit, "No! You-you aren't to blame, I am! If I needed help, I should've gone to you!"

He shook his head, "You were a child, you still are a child. I'm an adult, I should've stepped in and for that, I'm sorry"

She didn't like how he was blaming himself for her terrible actions but found the lump in her throat only grew bigger, causing her voice to get out of commission in the same way Zuko's was right now. 

So she said nothing, only securing her hold on both her Uncle and brother: her family.

____________________

Toph was sitting in the middle of the large White Lotus camp, huddled together with the rest in a circle. They've already been here for a couple hours at this point and their departure time was nearing, she was aware of that. 

And apparently whatever happened with Azula, Zuko and Iroh in the tent had turned out well as the three were sitting next to each other, the siblings on either side. When they had stepped out of the tent, she had asked Azula if Iroh had 'liked her hair', she only smiled and said that he loved it. 

She was glad that Zuko and Azula were able to start over, have a positive role model instead of their ( terrible, horrible, shitty, the worst, frustrating, abusive) parents. They deserved it, they deserved so much more than the lives they were born into. They wanted to do good, they were just set stray from the right path for a long time and she knew that Iroh was easily able to guide them in case she couldn't. 

In the back of Toph's mind, she wondered if her dads had managed to escape wherever they were being held as well. Realistically, she knew probably not (unless they managed to figure out Metalbending which she doubts, as decently skilled as they are), but there was always a small hope. That maybe they weren't suffering in a prison. She calmed herself by remembering it's only a couple more days, only a couple more days and she will have defeated the Fire Lord and the war will be declared over. 

Sokka was sitting on his knees in the middle of the circle, pointing to various places on a piece of paper that she couldn't read nor did she care to. Wander was curled up behind her, his large snout coming up and out under her left arm, he didn't really seem to care about the plan either. 

They've gone over it countless times but Sokka needed to change it slightly due to the White Lotus now as their allies, but her part stayed the same: fight the Fire Lord at the Wulong Forest, win, end the war. Why stay here bored out of her mind, you ask? Well, she just liked her friends. 

Plus Katara was sitting on her right, holding her hand and what was she gonna do? Stop holding a strong, pretty girl's hand? Are you crazy? 

"Alright during the comet, me, Aang, Katara, Zuko, Suki and Azula are still gonna use Appa to get to the airships which are on their base on this small island right here," He pressed a finger in the middle right of the paper, "And while this is happening, Toph is gonna be fighting the Fire Lord. The only difference in our plan is that since we have the help of the White Lotus, we'll be able to spread our forces out more, which means more people helping capture the Capital and more people freeing Ba Sing Se from Fire Nation control. We'll split the White Lotus down fifty-fifty" 

Piandao hummed slightly, his arms folded, "That's a genius plan, Sokka. You came up with it all on your own?"

"Huh?" The boy's cheeks began to warm up, he laughed, "Oh yeah, but it was nothing! You should've seen the plans for the eclipse"

"Oh yeah, I heard about it. It was very smart and carefully planned, I'm sure it would've worked if the Fire Nation didn't find out about the invasion"

Sokka laughed anxiously again, his pulse drumming against the inside of his skin. Oh boy, was this another crush? She hoped that this wasn't like with Teo's or… ugh, her dad… That was seriously the grossest thing she's ever heard, and she's a gross kid. 

Well, maybe not actually. While his heart was beating hard, his heart managed to beat even harder for Zuko, in the same way Zuko's beat for him. Toph really hoped something will happen between them soon, they were some of her favorite people and if they liked each other, why wouldn't she want them to be together? But their relationship can only further develop if the world doesn't end with a fiery explosion in two days. 

But that's not gonna happen, Toph knew that with a burning passion. Even without the four elements on her side, she could beat Ozai no problem. And her friends were strong, everyone here was strong. There was no way that the Fire Nation even stood a chance .  

She said that about the Day of Black Sun but this was different, this was a different day with different circumstances. With the eclipse, they were fighting against the Fire Nation's weakest points, while during the comet, they were fighting against their strongest. 

But they were stronger. There was no way that they could hide during their invasion like last time, especially if they were planning to burn down the entire Earth Kingdom, the army will have no choice but to face them. There wasn't any third child that needed saving (as far as she knew but who knows, rich people are really fucking weird). 

In two days, that will be the perfect moment. The invasion failed from the start with the Fire Lord's ' mysterious' disappearing act. But this was different. This will be it. This will decide the fate of the world. 

And they're coming out on top. 





In an hour, the meeting was over. They went over the plans and formations mainly for the teams liberating Ba Sing Se and the ones going to the Fire Nation Capital. She liked how prepared Sokka got, it was his greatest asset and she was sure that it'll take him far and even further in whatever he chooses to pursue in life. 

There were overlapping conversations as the meeting ended, people getting up and walking away, others stayed and enjoyed the calm before the inevitable storm. They were all leaving soon, no matter whichever location you were going to, it'll take either a day or day and a half to get there, they will have to leave very, very soon.

Toph stood up, stretching after sitting for what felt like years, she smiled at Wander, who was now on his feet as well, "Come on, Wander. What do you wanna do?" 

But that didn't mean you couldn't spend just a little time with your favorite badgermole in the world. Wander will be going with the team that was capturing the Capital. She will enjoy the little time she had left with the animal she's known for six years.  

He gave a groan that meant 'play with dirt' and she cackled, "I was thinking the same thing"

They began to walk but Toph was cut short, someone behind her caught her by the arm, "Wait, Toph?" 

She turned around, a large grin spread across her face. She was waiting for a moment that she would get to talk to him.

"Hey, Iroh. How're you feeling? You're going to Ba Sing Se, right?"

Toph liked Iroh, she liked how much he cared for Zuko even during his worst years, his wise, wistful advice and their short but incredibly memorable conversations. Hell, the first time she technically met him, he had freed her from her cage back on Kyoshi Island. He was the one who made her so hopeful that not every Firebender was bad, that even if he did bad in the past, he changed and became better than he was then. He made her have hope that Zuko could be the same. 

So of course if there was a secret club that was about truth and philosophy and transcending the divisions of the four nations, he would be a part of it. Not only that, he was the Grand Lotus, which she assumed meant he was pretty high up in the ranking. Toph couldn't find it in herself to be surprised. 

"Hello Toph, I'm feeling well and yes, I'm going to Ba Sing Se, someone needs to free the city"

She shrugged, "That city's way too corrupt to ever truly be free, too bad you need to, it being kinda an Earth Kingdom hub and all," The place was overrated in her book, "But did you need something? Are you okay?" 

"Yes yes, I'm fine," He chuckled, "I just wanted to thank you before you have to leave, although our conversations were short and fleeting, I enjoyed them all. Thank you for looking out for my nephew all this time, even when he wasn't exactly the friendliest towards you. I thank you for giving him a chance, you and all your friends, I'm sure it wasn't easy talking to him at times"

"No amount of talking can really make a person do something, it's their decision if they wanna become a better person at the end of the day. Zuko made his decision back in Omashu, that had nothing to do with me" She responded, she wasn't going to take credit for his nonlinear set of passage, that was all Zuko and she was so proud of him 

The man nodded with a smile, "Yes yes, I understand that. But most changes require support, people helping them. You had a part in helping, you can't deny that," He said, "Even if you don't, it won't change my mind that I believe you played a big role"

She grinned and cackled, "I guess you're right on that, but I still think that if you're gonna thank anyone on Zuko's redemption, it should be Zuko. And Azula too, she's come a long way in such a short amount of time, I'm proud of both of them"

"As am I. I don't know what you did that she allowed herself to be helped, but it worked wonderfully"

"Oh you know, get hunted down for two days straight, nearly die in a labyrinth of caves, nearly die in Omashu , fight the Fire Lord in an underground bunker, all while talking to her about redemption and stuff, the usual," She cackled at her own joke, "And don't even get me started on Zuko"  

"Of course, they are quite the… uh, handful"

A handful is certainly one way to describe the two, they were more of a marathon and a half. Or this completely unpredictably predictable force that did exactly what she guessed but the complete opposite at the same time. 

Their growth wasn't linear but growth isn't supposed to be. Zuko still talked to her about his father, how he admitted to still wanting that attention and love from him and would lash out. Azula still had trouble with not demanding or threatening people. 

But what mattered for both of them was that they knew that what they were doing was only going to keep them from healing. But now they have each other, and they have Iroh as well. 

Iroh, who was able to relate and understand them because he was them at one point. He grew up in the same place, into the same family, into the same system as they did. He knew what to say, he knew they could be helped because he was that however many years ago. 

Iroh, who faced similar abuse and questionable redemption. Iroh, the Dragon of the West, the man who nearly conquered Ba Sing Se. He was able to change, he did change.

"Can I ask you something?" Toph had a burning question that she's needed answers to for months, now was a good moment to ask while she still had him

He nodded, "Of course" 

"The dragons, what happened to them? Did you... really kill the last one?" She knew Jeong Jeong was telling the truth when he told her that but she... wanted to hear it from him

She wanted to hear Iroh say it, to hear him admit it. It was the truth but for him to confirm it, it will make the fact all the more true. That he slayed the last master, the last original master.

He looked down at the ground for a few moments and refused to look back up, "Yes, I did. I killed the last dragon. Not only was it a Fire Nation tradition, it was a royal family tradition and at the time, I was still very strict on tradition. But I regret my decision every day, it didn't make me a better Firebender, it made me the killer of the species that taught my people bending"

….

He... lied?

Toph said nothing. He lied. Why? Why would Iroh lie about slaughtering the last dragon? Why would he lie to everyone?

"Hey Toph!" She was snapped out of her thoughts as Aang jumped her, hugging her from behind, his chest pressing hard against her banjo, "You're gonna be leaving, come on!"

"Oh right!" She smiled and turned her attention back to the man standing before her, "I uh…"

Iroh shook his head, "Go go, say goodbye to your friends. When you get to be my age, you really begin to appreciate the relationships you form," He waved at her, "I wish you the best of luck in your battle against the Fire Lord"

Aang stopped hugging her and grabbed her hand, beginning to lead her away with Wander following suit, "Just save it, I don't need any luck! I'm gonna win!"

As they walked away, she felt Iroh smile. The entire camp was on the edge of an island. Sokka, Katara, Suki, Zuko and Azula were standing by the edge of the cliff with Appa and Momo, under that was the ocean, large and vast and on the other side of that ocean was the Wulong Forest. 

"So what were you and Iroh talking about?" Aang asked as they walked towards the group with Wander, "Zuko and Azula guessed you guys were scheduling a tea date" 

Toph laughed, "HA! That's really funny. Hm, but not a bad idea," She said in thought, "But can I ask you something? Last night, how'd you know the White Lotus' name?"

The boy hesitated for a moment, "I guess since you know about the organization now I can tell you. The White Lotus are the only other people who know about the Airbenders" 

"Holy shit, really?" That… made sense actually. Of course the secret organization that was in charge of protecting the territories would know about the secret bending race that were protecting themselves, "Oma and Shu, is that how Bumi knew your name when we first met him?"

"Uh, well… " He chuckled nervously 

"Do you know how long that drove me crazy for!? Because you had the audacity to be like 'Yeah hey Bumi- wait, how do you know my name?' How do you know my name, really?! That was such a blatant lie and no one cared so I thought maybe I was the crazy one!" She exclaimed, bonking him on the top of his turban with her fist 

The Airbender laughed, "Surprise?" 

"I wouldn't call this a surprise, I'd call it," Toph stopped for effect, waving her hands in front of her face, " Context" 

The two plus the badgermole made their way over to the rest and Toph was almost immediately greeted with a hand placed on her large bun, shoving her head down as Sokka spoke, "Don't die, okay?" He laughed, "No seriously, don't die . We'd be screwed"

Suki swatted his hand away with a giggle, "I'm not living in an world 'engulfed in flames' or whatever Fire Nation propaganda was saying"

"Well good thing I've made the decision not to die then" She grinned 

"That's impossible but sure, you decide not to die," Azula folded her arms with a huff before a smile she couldn't stop tugging on her lips, "Just be careful, he's going mad with power. The last time I was there, he was talking about crowning himself the Phoenix King or something"

"What does that even mean?" Katara asked

The Firebender shrugged, "Some title he made up, after he burns down the Earth Kingdom, he wants to be king of the world"

Well that's insane. But that's a perfect name to call him after Toph kicks his ass.

And if it was a competition, she would totally be king of the world anyway but that's besides the point.

 

"Well, I guess I'll see you in a couple days," She grinned widely at the group, "Hey, maybe you'll be able to see the ten second fight from the airships!" 

Toph was confident in her abilities, of course she'll be able to defeat the Fire Lord. Why wouldn't she be able to? This wasn't like during the eclipse when she could hardly see because of the heat in the volcano, or because they knew they were coming beforehand. This is different, she was strong, she had not only Earth on her side but three other elements too. He didn't stand a chance, not in 100 years.

But the others didn't seem to be likewise. They were worried, their heartbeats told her all she needed to know. They were so scared. Maybe it was for her, maybe it was for their own mission with the airships, maybe it was just the war in general. 

The Avatar couldn't find it in herself to be upset. Because of course they were worried, they're kids . They're kids who are about to destroy hundreds of airships by themselves (not to say that they can't accomplish that), kids who have to say goodbye to their friend because she needs to beat the face of all this havoc, kids who have to fight in a war

Toph let a little sigh escape her lips, "Alright look, I'm being serious right now," She took off her banjo and held it out in front of Sokka, "If I don't make it out alive when I fight the Fire Lord, I want you to keep my banjo. Keep it's music and tradition alive"

He stared at her before placing his hands on the metal instrument, he didn't grab it though, " Toph… " He began sincerely before blankly stating, "I don't want this, it's gross" He pushed it away from him 

"Good, cause you're not having it not ever," She grinned and placed it behind her back again, "Seriously, you guys think that I have a chance of losing?"

It was just a stupid joke, a reminder that nothing bad was going to happen. 

Well, nothing bad was going to happen to her. Toph was gonna kill Ozai, make him pay for his terrible war crimes and the abuse he had put both Zuko and Azula through. 

"Not me, I know you can do it!" Aang encouraged, making a fist before wrapping his arms under her arms and pulling her in for a big hug 

Katara was the second to join the hug, coming up to her side and hugging around her shoulders, "Just beat him fast for us, okay?" She mumbled as she buried her face into Toph's hair

"Kick his ass for me!" Suki laughed before joining 

"And please for the love of Agni , don't fucking make fun of him too much, he'll burn the entire forest down" Zuko warned and hugged her as well

Sokka followed right after, "Maybe break that stupid banjo over his head too, just a suggestion"

"I'll consider it," She cackled and tried to wrap her arms around all of them, her arms were far too short but that didn't stop her from trying. Toph then turned her attention towards Azula, who had her arms still crossed, she grinned at her and held an arm out through the rest of them, " Azzzuuuuullla, come on" 

"I don't do hugs"

"And Neither do I, suck it up" Sokka responded, continuing to hug the group 

Toph smiled cheekily, "Aw Blue Hotman, you don't wanna hug your favorite person?"

"Fine, but not because you're my ' favorite person' or whatever," The Firebender stomped over with a red face and a huff and joined the hug, "It's because you're probably gonna die and I'd look like a jerk if I didn't hug you before you were burned to a crisp" 

Despite her words, Azula subtly shoved her way through the embrace, making her way closest to Toph and pushing all else who tried to get as near as she did. 

They all squeezed just a little too tight for her to know that while they believed in her, they just couldn't wait for this whole ordeal to be officially over . They'll be able to live in peace after this, to live without hiding, to live without imprisonment, to live without death. To just live. 

Toph wished this moment lasted forever, where she was here with all her friends and they were all together and safe. But all things end eventually, they'll all be together again, she told herself. She will win and this war will be over and they will all be okay. She will fight with all her strength to make sure of that.

After a minute or two, the hug ended and they were all left feeling empty without the embrace of their friends but pushed on regardless, there was a war to win after all. 

"You should get going if you ever wanna make it to that airship island in time" Toph said with a smile, trying her very hardest to conceal her somber at the idea that where they were going, she cannot follow. But she trusted their strength, she trusted them 

Sokka nodded, already making his way to Appa, "Toph's right, let's go you guys" 

"Yeah!" Aang started to run towards the bison, running backwards as he waved, "I'll see you later, Toph! Good luck!" His persistent optimism was his greatest success, a true Airbender 

"We'll see you soon!"

"Don't die!"

Toph waved back to them as they all began to mount Appa, "I'll see you after I win!" She chortled 

The Avatar turned on her heel and headed closer to the cliff before she stopped, "Toph, wait!" It was Katara. She caught her by the wrist 

The girl pulled her in close and cupped her cheek with one hand while the other adjusted her hold on her wrist so their fingers were now intertwined down by their sides. 

Their faces were mere inches apart which made Toph's lungs nearly explode from feeling Katara's warm breath against her face. Her face flushed an embarrassing shade of red as she heard just how fast the Waterbender's heart was pounding in her chest. 

What the fuck, what the fuck, what the fuck-

Alright, breathe. Just fucking breathe and it'll be okay. This was way too close for it to be a simple kiss on the cheek. They were used to those already, nearly doing it every day multiple times, Katara's heart wouldn't be beating so hard if it was just that. This was different, this was…

" I-… Would you mind if…?" Katara's voice trailed off just above a whisper that was racked with anxiety and shyness, the thumb of the hand cupping her cheek gently trailed over the skin of her face, just near her lips

Toph nearly choked. 

"Not at all" She found herself saying her automatically, forcing herself to swallow down her nervousness and smile crookedly 

Katara nodded wordlessly before fluttering her eyes closed softly, bending her legs at the knees. She began to lean in and Toph's brain went haywire.

Okay okay okay, this is nothing. This is nothing! Come on, she's more nervous about kissing a girl than she is about fighting the actual Fire Lord. But Toph's never kissed anyone on the, you know, the... Lips before. She could feel her throat begin to run dry and her hands shake at her sides.

Fuck fuck fuck-

Toph held her breath and cocked her head up, squeezing her eyes shut and- 

" Ow!" 

Shit

Okay maybe she was a little too eager, accidentally coming in too fast and effectively slamming her fucking forehead against Katara's. 

Welp, moment ruined. Time to die. 

The Waterbender stumbled back, holding her head with the palm of her hand as Toph began to frantically apologize, " Fuck! I'm sorry! Didn't think that- I didn't realize- I fucked up, sorry! Are you okay!? I didn't-!"

" Pffft, hahaha!" Katara's laughter cut through her profound apology

Her heart was beating fast, actually, it was somehow beating even faster than before which confused Toph. Didn't she mess up? She was so nervous that she just just struck Katara's forehead with her own!

And despite the fact that she could feel the heat in her cheeks that stretched all the way to her ears in her confusion and embarrassment, Toph began to laugh back, albeit more nervously than the other. Her laugh was just contagious, she couldn't help but return it. 

Suddenly, she felt both Katara's hands cup her face again, much firmer this time. But before she could even process it, she felt the girl plant a hard kiss square on her lips. 

Toph's eyes widened as every single nerve in her body jumped on edge like a jolt of electricity. Her lips tingled as Katara pushed further into her which made her press back rather softly.

She could feel the girl's mouth curl into a smile as she gave a closed mouthed giggle, not wishing to properly laugh and risk the kiss breaking. 

In a second or two more, the two pulled away, faces flushed and Toph was sure that she was wearing the stupidest smile. 

"I uh…" The Avatar's voice was floating, lacing their hands together, "Um…" She couldn't seem to get any proper words out 

Katara chuckled and pressed her forehead against hers, "Just hurry back, okay?"

Toph swallowed hard and nodded, "Okay," She shot her a grin before untangling their fingers and taking a few steps until she was teetering on the edge of the cliff, "I'll see you soon, Waterbug!" 

"I know" She smiled at her and Toph leaped off the cliff 

The Avatar plummeted down the towering edge of the cliff but right before she hit the water, she slowed her descent with Airbending. The moment her feet hit the water, she zoomed off, dashing across the cast ocean and propelling herself forward using the air.

The faster she gets to the Wulong Forest, the faster she can reunite with the people she loves. 

____________________

"Alright Aang, in a couple miles we gotta turn right then we head that way until I say, got it?" 

"Got it"

Sokka and the rest had left on Appa to the small island just off the Earth Kingdom shore where the airship base was located. If there's no sidetracking, they could reach there in a day and a half. They were flying over the seemingly never ending sea and the sun was still out, they still had a lot of time before they needed to stop for the night, they could cover a lot of ground. 

Before they left, Sokka saw Katara and Toph kiss. He made an overly dramatic gag to the others, who laughed as he did but deep, deep, deep down, he was happy. He was glad that his sister was happy with the girl she liked. And it was just a little bit cute, but not a lot, just the tiniest amount of cute that something could be. Like .000001% cute. 

He was sitting near the front of the saddle, speaking of directions to Aang as he guided Appa as they flew. Zuko was right by his side with Azula while Suki was sitting in the middle right of it and Katara sat in the back, in her own little world and probably thinking about her gross kiss with her equally gross girlfriend. 

"So we're gonna get to the island and then what? Just blow up the airships?" Suki asked, as she was sprawled out against the edge 

He turned head towards his friend, "We're gonna hijack the first ship we see and use it to take down the rest," He explained as he took out a folded piece of paper in his pocket, "Our main goal is to stop as many ships as possible before they reach the Wulong Forest and start burning the Earth Kingdom"

"So you're saying that once we get one of those ships…" Zuko paused for a moment, raising an eyebrow, "We can just go crazy on the rest?"

"Yes Zuko, we can go crazy on the rest"

Azula leaned an arm against her knee, resting her chin on her hand, "Well, it won't be exactly easy . The ships are made entirely of metal and since we don't have Toph's Metalbending, it may be a little harder"

Aang turned his head to look at the four, "Like that's ever stopped us before, we have benders and Appa and we're gonna have a giant ship. I think we can do it"

"Aang's right and plus, we don't really have a choice but to beat them," Katara started, the first time she's spoken since they left, "Everyone's counting on us to make sure they don't reach the Earth Kingdom"

She was right, they really don't have a choice of whether or not they could do it. They have to destroy all those airships or die trying. There wasn't any other option but that, and as sad as it was, he knew that they were all willing to sacrifice themselves for this war, to just end the fighting, to bring forth an era of love and peace even if they might not be alive to see it truly happen.

They were kids. They were kids fighting in a war. Kids willing to die for this effort, to pay the price of death just to end something they didn't start nor were even born to see start. People started this and they have to finish it. It wasn't fair but neither was anything else during war.

Was Sokka scared? Of course, but if everyone else can put on a brave face for the sake of everything, so can he. Warriors were strong and fearless and even if being one wasn't all he was, right now, he had to be those things. For the sake of his friends, for his family, for the world. 

They're kids who need to save the world and he just hopes that they'll be able to do it in time. 

____________________

Toph's been running nonstop for hours, dashing across the water without breaks. Eventually, she managed to reach land, stopping just before the large cliff and shooting up into the air, landing on the bare land.

Her back was to the sea when her feet hit the hard, dirt ground. It was Earth , good. She will be able to use her preferred element plentifully . Standing before her were thousands of towering columns of rock. 

Toph recalled the description of the Wulong Forest that she learned from school, it's most defining characteristic being its giant, long rocks that stretched over the area for miles

The temperature had begun to cool and Toph assumed that the sun must be setting now, it only took her a day to get here. She plopped down on the ground, crossing her legs and facing the sea. The comet was the day after tomorrow. All she has to do is wait.

Good thing it's her specialty.

Notes:

Alright!!! Old people camp, hell yeah!!!!

Before I go into detail about some things in this chapter, I think I should talk about the Azula and Iroh scene!

In Azula's eyes, Iroh forgave her but it wasn't just that. Iroh wasn't just forgiving her, he was AMENDING. He realized how badly he treated her, he realized that SHE was going through things like Zuko, that SHE was hurting, that SHE WAS hurt and fucked up as a result of their family.

This entire time, I feel like it was really easy for Iroh to just see Azula as this mini Ozai. I mean, I can't blame him for it, he grew up with Ozai, they were brothers, and he's known Azula since she was a little baby. He knew of Ozai's influence on her but at the same time… I don't think he REALLY understood the full extent of it.

I don't think he understood the full extent of Ozai's influence on Azula and Ursa's influence on Zuko. How they were HUGE contributors to why they're like this.

And Iroh realized that he was a big factor as well.

Seeing Azula out of nowhere at the end of The Day of Black Sun, it was… a shock to say the least, more so considering that the last time he saw her, she shot him with fucking LIGHTNING.

But seeing her there, seeing her STANDING BY TOPH'S SIDE and NOT fighting Zuko or her or anyone else. He knew what that meant.

He knew what that meant and had a little time to think about it while he was imprisoned/escaping. And I'm sure he was thinking A LOT. About himself, Zuko, Azula, their ENTIRE FAMILY.

And then Zuko came into his tent at the White Lotus camp, he came and Azula was there too. Azula was there, standing by the entrance with a new haircut and not yet joining the hug. And hair again, means A LOT in the Fire Nation.

Whatever happened to Azula, it changed her, she's BEEN changing.

Azula, like Zuko, is a child. A child who was still learning and trying and struggling to find peace with others and herself.

And Ozai's influence was strong, so strong that Iroh forgot that Azula wasn't always pulling the strings, that when she WAS, she always had her father in mind.

It wasn't just about forgiving Azula like how she thought it was, it was Iroh also realizing that HE FUCKED UP TOO

Okay, I'm done with my little,,, whatever you call that. Next order of business

KATOPH KISS KATOPH KISS KATOPH KISS KATOPH KISS KATOPH KISS KATOPH-

Listen LISTEN I NEEDED that. That was for ME, I AM MY OWN INTENDED AUDIENCE.

Thank you for reading and I hope you're excited for next week's chapter, the finale!!! Aaaaa I can't believe we're almost there guys!!!!

Chapter 15: The Phoenix vs. The Cursed

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Toph sat on the hard ground facing the ocean, it was slightly below the coastline, behind her stood the vast, winding Wulong Forest. 

Today was the day of Sozin's Comet, she's been waiting here alone for two and a half days at this point and now it was finally here. The moment she was patiently standing by for was here and she was ready.

It was morning and Fire Lord Ozai will arrive within a couple hours and she could already feel her Firebending growing stronger with every passing moment, screaming, begging to be unleashed. To send a fiery burst of blazes that just stroked the boiling embers of her anger. 

The wind was hot and howling as she thought about her friends. Where were they right now? 

How long was it supposed to take until they reached that island again? Toph cursed to herself, why hadn't she been paying more attention to the rest of the plan? Spending an estimated 60 hours completely alone in the barren land had given her some time to think.

Ozai honestly deserved a fate worse than death for the terrible travesties he has put millions through, signing away the permission letters for the creation of more prison camps to capture and torture Earthbenders, leading armies to kill and destroy the people of the Water Tribes, willing to continue the work of his colonizing ancestors. 

He didn't deserve the comfort, the peace of death. But what else? What else could she possibly dictate for his fate as a consequence of his unchecked actions? What could be worse, a better punishment than the unknown mystery of death? 

Toph had all the elements at her disposal in this area: the Earthen land, the waterfall nearby, the fire power increased because of the upcoming comet, and air was everywhere. With all her elemental senses, she will be able to predict any move Ozai will throw at her, regardless if he is in the water, in the air or on the ground.

Her sifus were powerful and taught her well. There was no way she could lose this battle but what about afterwards? 

What can she possibly do against him that was far worse than death itself?

____________________

"The comet actually looks… strangely beautiful…"

Katara perked at the sound of Aang's voice from the front of the bison, she jerked her head up from the spot on the saddle her eyes were currently trained on. 

The sky was cloudy and a shade of blood red as a giant, blazing ball of fire soared through the air millions of miles away. Her eyes shined as she kept her rapt attention on it. 

Holy shit. 

Sozin's Comet was here.

It was here and that meant the Firebenders had an increase in their bending. It meant that Fire Lord Ozai was going to burn the Earth Kingdom down soon if Toph didn't stop him. It meant that their jobs were coming up and were coming up fast .

The teams that went to the Fire Nation Capital and to Ba Sing Se have most likely arrived by now, they were probably fighting hard. They were giving it all they got and Katara was determined to do the same!

Sokka turned towards Zuko and Azula, "How're you guys feeling? Any different?"

Azula's hands ignited into brilliant flames, much larger than the ones she usually made which caused her to jump before lowering the heat and size of them, "I certainly feel stronger"

"Yeah, I feel like this energy- or a heat," Zuko nodded, analyzing his own orange flames in awe, "I dunno how to describe it"

After traveling for nearly three days, the fleet of airships were finally coming into view, flying high in the sky. Good thing they had Appa or they would have been confined to the ground. 

And spirits, were there dozens of them. 

"Aang, fly us over to the closest ship," Sokka ordered seriously, standing to his feet, "We'll take over that one and use it to destroy the rest!"

The Airbender nodded, "Appa, yip yip" 

The bison sped up, pushing himself forward with a large burst of wind. They used that momentum to carry themselves up towards the single airship that was lagging slightly behind. 

In a matter of minutes, the group had landed on the top of the flying metal machine and started to dismount Appa. Sokka was the first one off the bison. 

"Alright here's the plan, me, Katara and Azula are gonna hijack this ship while Zuko, Aang and Suki are gonna use Appa to destroy as many ships as possible!" Her brother said as she dismounted, "Azula'll fly this ship for us!"

The 14 year old Firebender stayed on Appa, " Uh , what makes you think I know how to drive this thing?"

"You don't know how to drive the ship!?"

Oh no. 

"No! Why in the world would I?!" 

Oh spirits no. 

"Uh, I dunno maybe because you were our main source of intel regarding- you know what? Fuck it," Sokka huffed, squeezing the bridge of his nose, "Does anyone here think they could fly this fucking thing long enough to not let us crash?" 

Suki raised her hands and leaped off the saddle, "I probably will, it's just like a boat ust with more levers, right? How hard can it be when I have the smartest guy in the world by my side, right?" 

"I am the smartest guy in the world…" He mumbled under his breath, scratching his chin in thought, "Alright change of plans! Suki, you're coming with Katara and I. Azula, go with Aang and Zuko to destroy as many ships as you can!" He shouted, pulling his sword out from the strap behind his back, "When we need to regroup, I'll send you a signal!"

Katara watched as Zuko, Azula and Aang all nodded in unison. Azula looked at Aang, "You steer Appa higher than the ships while Zuzu and I take them down," She then smirked and glanced at Zuko by her side, her hands erupting in bright blue flames, "Let's settle this, just you and me, brother. I think I can take down more than you" There was a playfully wicked twinkle in her eye 

"You're on" Zuko grinned back, his own hands bursting into flames that sharply contrasted his sister's 

"Good luck you guys," Aang smiled down at her, Sokka and Suki before facing forward again, "Yip yip!"

And with that, the bison along with three of their teammates were gone. Katara already saw Azula and Zuko's fire shooting at either side of Appa, beginning to melt the heavy metal of the giant ships easily with their enhanced bending. 

"Come on! Let's get to the control room!" Suki yelled as she began to scale the rounded part of their airship, finding the entrance door located on the side

When inside, the three quickly snuck their way around the interior, making sure to stay hidden behind corners and in shadows as they hastily crept their way to the main control. 

While they did that, Katara couldn't help but remind herself that somewhere in the front of all these aircrafts was Fire Lord, leading the fleet. They were getting closer to land by the time they had made it here, it was only a matter of time before they started burning the Earth Kingdom. If they want to stop these ships then they were kind of pressed for time (but what else was new?)

Sokka held her hand tight as they ran and she squeezed back with just as much strength, she wasn't losing him, not now and not ever. 

In a few short minutes, they managed to locate the control room and both Sokka and Suki pressed their backs up against the walls. 

Sokka spoke in a hushed voice, "Katara, you go in first and freeze them, then me and Sokka'll throw them overboard"

Alright, first challenge of the many they will be facing today. She nodded wordlessly before cracking her knuckles. 

BAM!

With one swift motion, Katara kicked the closed, metal door and it swung open harshly, revealing five Fire Nation soldiers inside, all shocked at her loud and unwelcome surprise. 

Immediately, they had all gone into position, sending forth hot balls of fire towards her that would have made her eyes water if she didn't wave her arms in a circular motion, taking the water vapor out from the air and creating a wall of liquid, which blocked the attacks and turned into steam. 

Taking the single second she had for them to process, Katara shot a jet of water to the right. The moment it crashed into the wall, it froze instantly to the metal and trailed all the way up to the ceiling.

She rushed towards the ice and skated up it, dodging the bullets of fire that were getting gunned at her. By the time the 14 year old was on the ceiling, she sprayed water down at them, freezing them all, encasing their entire bodies including their heads leaving them so they couldn't even scream for help.  

With all soldiers defeated, Sokka and Suki stepped into the room, "Hey good job, Katara!" Suki praised

"Yeah, it was impressive… I guess," Sokka shrugged before rubbing his hands together, "Alright, Suki, you grab those two while I grab the three here. Hurry before they melt the ice!"

After opening the door of the room and hurling the five overboard, Suki grinned, "Time to take control of this ship!"

The Kyoshi Warrior made a beeline right towards the wheel and clasped it firmly and Katara raised an eyebrow, "What're we going with the rest of the crew? There's probably hundreds on this thing alone! How're we gonna get them all out?" 

"Hm… Good question…" Sokka stared down at his feet in thought before gasping, "I got it! Suki, take us down closer to the ware real quick," He exclaimed before walking towards the controls where he grabbed the ship's mic, Katara leaned against his back and in Sokka's deepest, most confident voice, he proudly spoke into the microphone, " Attention, crew, this is your captain speaking. Everyone please report to the bomb bay immediately for hot cakes and sweet cream. We have a very special birthday to celebrate"

As he speaks, the ship steers closer to the ocean. Katara sucked her teeth and frowned her brow, "Uh, no offence but this isn't one of your bestest ideas, Sokka. This isn't gonna work"

Who in the world is going to believe that Sokka sounded like the gruff man who they had just thrown overboard? His voice still cracks!

"Suki! Now! Open the bomb bay doors!" Her brother shouted as the 16 year old followed his orders quickly 

Splash!

Oh no fucking way.

Katara sped up towards the window of the recently shut door, she smushed her face against the glass to see as hundreds of crew members fell into the ocean, swimming up for air and screaming. 

Holy shit, they fell for that? Jeez these guys sure were dumb. 

There was a loud, obnoxiously fake cough from behind her followed by Sokka's smug voice, "You were saying?"

"Shut up," She growled before rushing towards the door to leave the control room, "I'm going to the top to try and help take down more ships, keep this thing steady"

Suki wasn't facing her, keeping her eyes in front of her, "I'll try my best"

Before Katara left, Sokka grabbed her arm and squeezed it securely. He spoke with an effort of casualness but the grip on her arm told her otherwise, "Don't fuck this up"

She knew the meaning behind his words. 'Don't die, please be careful, I love you'. He cared for her so much, they didn't have a lot of family left besides each other, they couldn't live without each other. 

Katara nodded wordlessly and took her arm out from his grasp and gave his hand three hard squeezes, silently communicating back. 'I'll be fine, I love you too'. 

She gave him one last smile before turning on her heel and rushing out the door, getting to the top of the ship as fast as possible. 

The Waterbender quickly scurried to the top and when she reached it, she inspected the expanse. Appa was merely a white dot in the sky as Azula and Zuko were still hard at work shooting down as many ships as humanly possible (and she had a feeling that the only reason they were working this hard was only because of their little competition). 

Wait, she needs to focus. Shaking her head, Katata waved her arms and created several long spears of ice out from the liquid in the heated air. Keeping them levitating above her, she hurled them forward and they pierced through the wind.

Since their ship was lagging behind, her projectiles had only reached far enough to cut through a couple of the flying machines. 

Katara huffed, and summoned more water, creating triple the amount of spears and daggers, launching them forward towards the crafts in front of them. 

Squinting ahead, her eyes spotted the leader ship all the way in front of the fleer miles and miles away from them all. 

Ozai was on that ship. 

Her eyes scanned the area again, comparing where Appa was and where they were. The Fire Lord's ship was quickly approaching the land of the Wulong Forest. 

Katara realized fast that none of them would be able to reach him in time. 

But this realization didn't halt her efforts, casting forth even more ice at an even quicker speed than before, " FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!" She screamed as she shot 

The Waterbender knew her knowledge of the whereabouts of the Fire Lord was correct when, while she was throwing, she watched as a powerful stream of scorching fire was shot down below the leading ship. It was hitting the ocean, causing a mass of thick smoke and steam to fly up in the air. 

While on Appa, Azula stopped her efforts on the following ships to focus on the one her father was on. She jumped into a lunge and blasted a sharp attack of lightning at the ship.

But it was too far, she couldn't land a hit, she tried again and again and again but nothing. His ship was too fast. 

Appa began flying faster towards the front of the fleet when-

BOOM!

BOOM!

BOOM! 

Boulders and chunks of earth flung out from the land that Ozai's ship was steadily approaching. The rocks soared through the sky with an aimed grace, slamming into the engines and propellers of his ship. Katara watched with wide eyes as a cloud of smoke began emitting out from the ship. 

The aircraft shook which caused the large attack of fire to cease. The ship began to lose power and started descending. 

Was that…?

"Oh holy fucking shit," She sighed heavily in relief, she would have fainted right then and there if not for the pure adrenaline coursing through her veins right now, "Thank the fucking spirits!" 

It was Toph! 

She was there at the Wulong Forest and was ready to defeat the Fire Lord. Katara never thought she would feel so relieved to see a bunch of flying rocks in her life. But that's besides the point, she needs to get back to Sokka and Suki, they need to speed this ship up!

____________________

Toph had just struck several enormous stones into the air, sensing the metal of the ship, the air around it and the people in it. 

That was Ozai's ship she had taken down, it had to be. The airship crashed into the water with a fiery explosion but Toph knew things wouldn't be that easy.

And she was right. She felt the Fire Lord propelling himself in the air with jets of fire spraying out from his hands and feet out of the remains of his ship. He flew until he safely reached the ground, burning the dirt beneath his landing as he came down.

Toph was standing a couple hundred feet away from him in the barren land. All this earth, these rock columns, it will work to her advantage. She was in her element, she could navigate through rock and dirt as easily as breathing. 

This was it. This was the fight that will decide the fate of the world. The girl stood as tall as she could, keeping her chin high and fists clenched. 

Ozai tore off his armor and long cape, burning it to ashes as he did so. He shouted into the vast terrain at her, voice echoing over the screams and shouts of the aircrafts in the air, "Two generations of Avatars have failed to defeat the Fire Nation and today will mark three . The cycle has become weak while we Firebenders have only grown stronger, this comet is only proof of that!" He took a heavy step forward, "What makes you think you can stop me, Cursed Avatar?" The name dropped from his mouth like venom  

"I don't think , I know. I'm way stronger than you'll ever be even without all the elements on my side," She gave a much less winded speech, "What makes you think you can beat me , Phoenix King?" She spoke his title with the same amount of spite and mockery, a sharp grin curling on her face

He growled, heart beginning to speed up, "You are a small, blind child from the Kingdom that fell so easily at the hands of my army, you do not deserve anything more than the shame you and your previous incarnations have brought to the names of the Avatar!" He screamed, "I'll engulf this world in flames, starting with you and your precious home!" 

Ozai's hands gushed fire, propelling himself forward at fast speeds but he seemed to forget that Toph was faster. 

She brought her fists into herself and the earth rumbled as a diagonal slope of rock erected out from the ground in front of her.

The man didn't have enough time to process nor stop as he sped right up the ramp and soared directly over her. He landed a good distance away but the moment his feet touched the ground, he dug his hand into the dirt, latching onto the ground and he swiftly whipped himself around in one motion. 

He smirked, believing he had the advantage as her back was turned to him, not realizing that she saw all. He swung his arm out, fingers curling sharply as the palm of his hand grew hot. He was charging an attack. 

A surge of burning mass rushed towards her. Toph leaped backwards into the air before it even managed to get ten feet away from him, the wave lobbed in an arc, following her as she somersaulted through gravity.

The fire moved faster and while still in the air, upside down Toph called upon the energy from the comet. She took a deep inhale, focusing on the scorching feeling in her throat and the boiling in her stomach. 

The Avatar exhaled violently, blowing a giant rush of blazing purple fire from her mouth, forcefully blocking his positive attacks and pushing it back before it could properly reach her. 

Neither party had managed to hit the other yet, but Toph was only just getting started. She was far from finished. 

She tore her banjo out from behind her back and with both hands firmly grasping the neck of her instrument, came back onto the ground with a heavy stomp, the base of the banjo slamming into the ground.

RUMBLE!

The ground shook from the force of her blow as well as a fit of robust air to follow suit. The quake combined with the might of the wind was enough for Ozai's only concern was to stay standing. 

Using his focus as a distraction, Toph rushed forward. When she was close enough, she sprung up and twisted nearly her entire body, reeled her arms to her left and struck him right across the face with the face of her metal banjo, her instrument emitting a sharp minor key. 

Ozai stumbled back backwards, holding his face as he used his free hand to lash fiery fists towards her. Toph stepped back, avoiding every hit. He kicked a flaming leg up at her but she ducked in return, sliding under him and popping out behind the man.

The water in his body boiled and his movements became less calm and skilled. He was getting frustrated and when people get frustrated, they get sloppy. Especially if their strategy was messy to begin with with impluring positive jing. All Toph needs to do is continue at this pace, the battle will come to an end and it will be at the fault of his own uncontrolled emotions and impatience. 

He turned on his heel to face her but the Avatar was already gone- 

"HEY, PHOENIX KING!" Toph called out for him when she felt his head whipping back and forth in order to find her, " UP HERE!"

The Earthbender stood high on one of the thousands of towering columns of rock that littered the forest. His attention cracked up towards her, anger visible with every tremor in his body. 

Without moving, Ozai stepped forward, making quick revolving movements with his arms. He swung his hand deeply, index and middle finger pressed tightly tighter. He smirked as her eyes widened. 

Crack!

BOOM!

A levin of lightning blasted up towards her in a cracking, concentrated line. Toph only had half a second to react-

The Avatar stretched her arm out rapidly as the energy went right inside her, "AAUUUGGHH!" She cried out in furious pain. Zuko was right, she could feel the overwhelming amount of power and energy being stored up within her very core, the heat, the scorching heat burned up her insides. It was as painful as it was incredible  

The lightning needs to pass through the stomach! The sea of chi! It needs to flow through her body, she's allowing the energy to flow for a safe passage. 

Through gritted teeth and shut eyes, Toph spread her feet further apart and jolted out her left hand, pressing her fingers together while her other hand stayed clutching her chest desperately. 

Her hand shook as she aimed it as steadily as she could downwards. Even though this stinging, scalding pain, she could feel the way his heart dropped as he realized she was still standing and not only that…

She was going to redirect it.

BOOM! 

Toph fired the lightning back.

Ozai paused when he felt himself alive. Though... the hit wasn't meant for him...

But for the giant rock column behind him. 

The electricity struck the tall rock and it began to rumble and tip.

When he came to the discovery, he barely had enough time as it began to fall. He dove onto the ground and out of the way before it crushed him. 

BAM!

Toph could feel the thundering vibrations of the ground shaking even without the use of her Earth sense. After the dust from the impact cleared, Ozai let out a throaty battle cry as he hopped into the air and soared upwards, fire spewing out from his hands and feet once again. 

He landed on one of the other rock columns, punching passionately at the air and giving high, sweeping kicks. These moves bulleted forth over four dozen worth of fireballs.

The Avatar, who was still hastily recovering from having literal lightning inside her again for the second time in her life, was bombarded with attack after attack from the Fire Lord over 300 feet away from her. 

She bounced from rock to rock, avoiding every attack with pained breaths. Toph found herself near the small waterfall she had remembered from before.

As eight more balls of fire hurled towards her, she stole the water, shoving forth a large wall of ice that dissipated the fire but also broke apart from the force. 

The power from the mighty blasts caused her to fall to her knees with a grunt, hands fisting into the rock. Her body still felt so weak from the redirection but… She had to keep fighting. 

There was no way she would lose to this asshole. She was the greatest Earthbender in the world, the strongest Avatar in history, it will take more than that to take her down. 

Toph was strong, she can't lose, it's impossible for her to. It goes against everything she has sworn to be. He needs to be held accountable for his terrible deeds and no one in the world can do that but her.

Spite and adrenaline proved once again to be her best and most reliable friends as Toph stood to her bare feet. 

She didn't fight this hard for so long to get beat by an abusive father. Who cares about a little lightning? That was nothing! 

She'll show him some real lightning. 

Toph recalled the powerful move she was able to pull off the other day. She held her banjo firmly in her burned hands as she sent wave after wave of electricity through it, her instrument crackled and sparked in her hands as the pure energy bounced through the metal. 

Ozai sprung from his rock and over to another, and then to another and another, using his Firebending to boost himself forward. He was coming towards her, he had no idea.  

She strummed the strings as fast as she could, every chord played only further built up the lightning's need to escape. The voltage becoming higher and more frantic with the second. 

A wide grin stretched across her lips as she pointed the neck of her banjo towards the Firebender, who stopped short on one of the rocks closer to her. She reveled in the feeling of his heart dropping as he pieced together what exactly she was going to do.

Crack- crack- crack!

BOOM! 

Hot, sporadic lightning shot out like a bullet, hurdling right towards him. His body spasmed uncontrollably as he gave a blood curdling scream, " AAAAAGGHH!"

Ozai collapsed to his hands and knees, panting hard. His heart beat a million miles a minute and she wasn't sure if it was because he was just shot with pure lightning or if he was furious.

This should be fun.  

"RAAAAAAAHHHH!" 

He howled, shoving himself to standing as fire spit from his mouth in a way Toph could only imagine the dragons were capable of doing. 

The heat was spiralling right towards her, she solidified her stance and jarred her arms out straight, shooting two thick, blistering streams of fire out from them.

BOOM!

Their fires met in the middle, crashing together in a fiery blazing, the forces belted their fire upwards and into the sky, stretching and expanding for miles. 

____________________

Zuko was still flying high above the airships on Appa with Azula and Aang. He and his sister have been shooting every long range Firebending move they could think of mercilessly over the blaring noises of explosions, screams and the chaos of the ships. 

Time went by weirdly when the sky was red and it was basically the end of the world. 

He has no idea how much time has actually passed since they split up from Sokka, Katara and Suki but all he knows is that the comet is still enhancing their fire power and that's all that really matters right now. 

In Zuko's mind, as long as they could take down all these ships, they've done their job. It prevents them from reaching the land of the Earth Kingdom and burning it all down to the ground. That would mean all that would need to be finished is-

BOOM!

He was immediately taken out of his thoughts as he jerked his head towards the source of the eardrum-bursting explosion. It was on land, in the Wulong Forest. Large bursts of fire, burning oranges and bleeding purples clashing and engaging from the distance but the flames were so big that you could see them even miles away like they were. 

After they take down all the ships, all that would need to be finished was that. Toph's fight against the Fire Lord. 

But they've all been making good progress on destroying the aircrafts, it was a good distraction from the idea that if Toph loses- if Toph dies, the world will be torn to shambles. There were only about four or five more left, they were coming out on top on their mission and he hoped that the Avatar could do the same.  

" Guys !" Aang called out from the front, straining his eyes in front of him, "Appa's getting tired since we've been flying all day, we're gonna need to lower a little bit"

Tired!? Fuck! They were doing so well since they had the higher ground but now they're going to have to descend? How will their chances hold up? If only he could've gone on for just a little bit longer!

"Appa! Kind of a bad time, buddy!" He shouted to the bison who only groaned in response 

The flight began to lower and Appa lowered until they were lined up right in the middle of the four ships left. The soldiers had long climbed out from their metal ships and now stood on the top of their airborne machines, shooting hot, strong attacks of fire at them. 

Zuko moved from the right side of the saddle to the left where his sister stood, figuring it would be easier to take them all out at the same sides first.

The 16 year old hurled fireball after fireball at the benders on the ship to their left, controlling their direction while Azula sent a dozen or so flaming arcs. Their bending was so much stronger right now, he could feel it in his chi as he created his flames. They burned hotter and brighter than they ever have before and he was able to create much more at a time before getting too tired. 

Using this extra energy and power was a good advantage; however, he had to keep reminding himself that they were fighting against Firebenders who were also experiencing a boost. But Zuko was gaining more confidence in his bending abilities as of late, he and Azula were masters , they could take it, hell, they already were taking it. 

As he flung another jab of burning heat, he hoped that Sokka, Katara and Suki will start attacking those other ships or else this entire ordeal may go on for a little longer than he expected and end in a lot more fire.   

"Hey, I think I have an idea on how to take out all of the soldiers on this side!" Azula shouted over the noise, keeping her eyes trained on her bending, "Just follow my lead!"

Zuko watched as his sister waved her arms back and forth before shooting them forward, a huge blue tornado made entirely out of fire spiraled out from her scorching palms. Hey, that's really, really impressive. She glanced at him before nodding.

He sprayed the fire tornado with a jet of his own fire, causing it to grow bigger while also sending it flying into the direction of the soldiers on the ship. Many of them tried to shoot at it, which only made it grow and caused them to get scooped up and taken off the edge with it.

"Holy shit!" Zuko exclaimed at the strength of their attack, whipping his head towards his sister, "We gotta do that more often!"

"Well we can certainly try," She smiled before turning back to the ship they were just attacking, "Now hurry up! We have to get the rest of them!" She went back to shooting 

Zuko nodded as a burning red flame whizzed past him from one of the soldiers in front of him, he glanced back quickly to make sure that the fireball didn't circle back to him. It wasn't but he did notice one thing.

He caught sight of a Firebender on the ship behind them that they didn't get to attack yet. He had just climbed onto the top, his legs were spread apart and he held out one arm straight while the other was bent at 90 degrees behind him, he was staring daggers at the back of Azula's head while assuming a Lightningbending stance.

….

Oh shi-

Zuko barely even registered what exactly he was doing at that point as he screamed, " AZULA!" 

Azula jumped slightly and whipped around, her eyes widened as she was met with the man who was targeting her at the moment. Zuko leaped in front of her when-

Crack!

BOOM!

Zuko shot the man with lightning, he fell limp and slid right off the smooth part of the ship and was sent plummeting down into the ocean. Once he heard the small splash, he whipped back around to face his younger sister, grabbing her shoulders and shaking her slightly, "Azula! You gotta be more careful!"

...

His sister just looked at him with eyes the size of Appa's paws and mouth just barely opened, what the fuck was wrong with her!? 

" Hello!? Azula, answer me you fucking asshole!" He shouted, "You would've died if I didn't shoot that guy with…with..."

Wait...  

" ZUZU, YOU JUST LIGHTNINGBENT?!" 

"WHAT?!" Aang exclaimed from the front, nearly setting them off course for a moment 

"Ah! I'm so happy for-!" Azula began to exclaim but paused for a moment to blow a hot spew of blue fire out from her mouth to an enemy behind him, then faced him again with the same pride, "What was I saying? Oh right, I'm so proud of you, Zuzu! Though it could use a little more practice, your form is completely wrong"

Zuko just blinked, still processing what the fuck just happened, "Uh, yeah. Thanks"

____________________

Toph was putting as much force, as much power as she physically could onto her fire, pouring nearly all her chi into her flames to make sure they were burning bright and that they were burning hot. 

Her and Ozai's passionate gushes of opposing fire battled to overthrow the other from their individual rock pillars that were hundreds of feet away from each other, pushing into each other in thick streams. 

But through all the energy she was putting in, all the sweat that dripped in buckets down her face, all the pain her body screamed out about, despite all that, Toph was still fighting. She was still ready to win, to continue battling for as long as she needed to for the sake of every single person on this planet. 

All she had to do was keep up the intensity of her flames for just a little more time, she was waiting for the perfect moment to strike. She had no idea what or when it was but she knew that it was bound to come up eventually. Toph just needed to be patient and continue this fiery attack. 

She needed to be strong, not only for herself but for everyone else as well. People were counting on her, she was counting on herself. She will defeat the Fire Lord, she will win this battle, and she will end this war. Failure was not ever an option in her book, and especially not in this scenario.

Toph wasn't going to allow some worthless, abusive colonizer get away with literally burning the world to the ground because he's insane or something. This was for the rest of the Avatars as well, for Kuruk and Gyatso, to prove that the cycle wasn't weakening because of their decisions. It was stronger than ever because she was in it.

And if she was able to show the Earth Kingdom that, she can definitely show the Fire Nation the same thing by ending this war. 

"Give up now, Avatar!" Ozai screamed over the vigorous crashing of the inferno, "If you do, perhaps I will consider sparing you while I construct my new world!"

That was it, his guard was always at his lowest when he spoke, focusing on whether he was loud enough that she could hear him instead of focusing on the actual fight. 

Toph said nothing in response as she continued to keep her arms straight and spurt out her purple flames. With her Earth sense stretched all the way over to the man, starting from her rock column all the way to his that was miles away. As she kept firing, she solidly kicked the rock beneath her feet. 

The Earth under Ozai's foot gave way, jerking his right foot forward and causing him to slip forward, his jet stream of fire shooting heaven cast instead of straight forward in her direction.

That was the distraction, now, what does she do with it?

Hundreds of possibilities and scenarios flashed through Toph's head in half a second. She can't keep shooting jet streams at him, they don't get anywhere with that and the comet was bound to end soon. She doesn't need the Avatar State against Ozai, or not right now at least, she can save that for later in case of anything. 

The Avatar burrowed into the hard rock she was standing on like a badgermole, digging deep down into the rock as she scoured underground. She could feel Ozai, he leaped off his earthen column and jumped to the ground, slowing his descent with a spout of fire shooting out his palms.

When his feet touched the surface, she could hear him call out for her as he took hesitant steps around, peeking behind every corner "Don't hide from me now, brat"

Toph stayed underground, sitting in a tiny hole she had tunneled for herself. She was a couple meters away from where he was. She had her clenched fist raised up to the rock above her head, just a few more steps….

Stomp 

Stomp 

"Come out, cursed child

Stomp-

BOOM!

Just as his foot made contact with the ground above her, she slammed her fist as hard as she could against the ceiling of the hovel. The rock and dirt juddered violently beneath him before exploding in a burst of the untamed force that is Toph. She shot out from the ground like a bullet, her hard, stone covered fists colliding with the underside of his chin.

The Fire Lord stumbled backwards, taken completely by surprise. Using his shock to her advantage in these moments, Toph lunged at him again. She ignited her rock gauntlets in purple flames, she swung at him, bouncing up and striking him in the chest with her blazing heat. 

The next punch she threw he managed to catch though, grasping her tiny arms, the back of his hand began a charged fire attack, speeding up this throw and strength, he hurled her a great distance and she shattered right through a rock column. 

BOOM!

The rock fell apart at her impact, surrounding her in a cloud of thick dust and debris. She groaned and knew that her opponent couldn't see her through the thick mass. She can still have the advantage, but all she needs to do is-

Get up.  

Get up and fight.

Get up and beat him.

Get up and win. 

Ozai's maniacal laugh cut through the noise, "Where'd you go, Avatar?" He asked, walking aimlessly through the thick dust

"Fire Lord Ozai," She began, her voice no longer just her own. A contrition of every past life, every voice, every thought. She moved as she spoke, making it impossible to tell where exactly she was through all the smoke and dust, " You've colonized lands, imprisoned, tortured, abused. You've disrupted the balance of the world by your long familial line of terribly selfish deeds. Your hungry quest for power, for control, for the suffered,"

"It ends here"

The man's heart began to sped up at the sound of the mass of combined voices, he cocked his head to both sides frantically, " Cursed Avatar! Show yourself, you coward!"

In an instant, the cloud disappeared, sticking back to the ground as if it never lifted in the first place. 

In its place stood Toph, her unseeing eyes glowed brilliantly against the red hue from the sky. He froze.

Good, was all she thought, he should be scared. The Avatar stood eerily still. 

"Is this your plan? Have you run out of ideas so quickly? You must be even denser than I once believed. You cannot defeat me on your own so you must call upon the Avatar State, a power from the spirits that you are undeserving of!" He snarled harshly while she stood unresponsive to his words, "You are weak , weak like the rest of the Earth Kingdom, like the rest of the territories! You're pathetic! I'll rid my new world of your sad excuse of an existence!"

Ozai couldn't lie like Azula could. 

It was silent for a few moments, Toph waited patiently if he had any more to say before slowly making her way up to him, the ground shook and raddled with every powerful step she took. 

"Try"

The single word was all she said because she knew nothing more needed to be spoken. It was enough to kindle the burning cinders of his flame. 

The man was quick, or, he tried to be. He flung a closed fist towards her, to which Toph easily blocked it, a wall of solid Earth shooting up in between them. The fist he threw was lodged in the stone, sticking out the other side where the Avatar stood. 

Toph grabbed his hand then smashed her fist against his hand with all her might, she heard several pops and crunches emit from the twitching appendage, "AAAAGGHH!" He shrieked in pain 

Ozai kicked through the wall with a flaming leg, clutching his now free but completely broken hand. Before he had a chance to attack or even react to anything but pain, the 12 year old back flipped, a sphere of air caught and circled around her high in the sky as she turned her cold attention down to where she knew he was below. 

He stared up at her before leaping into the air, launching himself into the air with the propulsion of his feet and now single working hand. He barreled toward her in the air, reeling his good hand back, ready to strike her right in the face.

Ozai soared towards Toph but she swerved out of the way just in time. As he whizzed by, she managed to catch him by the ankle, squeezing it rigidly and chucking him into a stone pillar. 

CRACK!

Toph shot through the air, zooming behind the middle of another rock column. She rubbed her hands together before pounding at the mighty rock, chunks of firm earth flew out from the front, all of which aiming directly towards the Fire Lord. 

Knowing that even with all the power of the comet on his side, he could not burst through all the dozens of rapidly fired, giant projectiles, he turboed up into the sky to avoid them all. But Toph wasn't going to let him get away that easily, she took off after him.  

Accelerating through the sky with the Avatar hot on his flaming tail, Ozai, near panic-stuck, glanced down at her before launching three sweltering balls of fire down at her. Toph didn't react at all, her face stone and unmoving, twisted into calm, consecrated rage as she merely flew through the attack, the fire having been extinguished by her air sphere. 

They continued skyrocketing through the air, Toph had quickly caught up with the man and kept soaring up, slamming into each other as they went. Ozai jerked backwards from their blitz to bring his good hand out and send forth a torrid of spiraling inferno. 

Toph raised an arm and a tremendous amount of wind gushed through her single palm, blowing back the flames onto himself, to which he hastily covered his face with his forearms to avoid. 

Using his temporary blindness, the Avatar swooped into him but by the time she reached him, his face uncovered from his arms. The adult jumped and shoved himself away, spraying fire from the soles of his feet.  

She blocked his fire with flames of her own. He can't last forever, not with a crushed hand. Toph knew it was throwing him off balance, he can hardly keep up with himself flying and attacking simultaneously. 

With a rush of air, she flew forward and fisted a hand around his goatee, swinging him by his hair and hurling him down to the ground from high above. 

BOOOOM!

He plummeted to the ground, a large crater formed in the slot that he crashed into. 

Then it was silent. 

Toph slowly began easing down to the ground, she heard the weak, pathetic groans that whined from him. He was laying flat on his back and she could feel that his spine was fractured in multiple places. 

She stayed staring down at him with glowing eyes, feet firmly planted on the floor. 

The Avatar sharply pulled a fist into herself before he even had the chance to try to scramble to his feet, rocks completely encased his entire body in half a second, leaving him stuck on his back and unable to move a muscle. 

But that didn't stop him from trying, he struggled against his earthen bindings, against the very element of the people who he swore were weak. 

He spat, " RELEASE ME! I AM THE PHOENIX KING!" 

She ignored him, "You're not the King of anything, you never were. You're nothing but the product of a hundred years of benefiting from the suffering, that's not what a true leader is"

"AUGH! Silence! You will fear to disobey, Cursed Avatar!" He screamed

"Nothing about me is cursed, I'm not weak and I'm fine the way I am regardless of what I can't see," She said, pointing to her glowing eyes, face still pensive. Her hand then dropped limply back down to her side, "Zuko and Azula deserved a better family. A better father , one who didn't treat them the way you did"

Toph meant those words from the bottom, most sincere part of her heart. Her friends shouldn't have been pitted against each other, they shouldn't have spent their childhood groomed to hate each other only to slowly rekindle in a way that wouldn't have had to happen in the first place if they weren't raised that way. 

They deserved chances, they deserved to learn, to grow, to live. To be happy and to separate themselves from their abusive father. They made strides to be good while the man who created them still refused to believe he was anything less than the Phoenix King.

" What I did made them stronger!" He shouted again, continuing his fruitless struggles against the rock confining him to the ground  

" They're kids," She replied coldly, "They didn't need to be strong , they needed to be safe and you couldn't provide that"

The Earthbender felt his pulse quicken and she was prepared for what was next. Ozai inhaled deeply and was about to blow a steaming inferno of fire up at her but before he could form even the tiniest of flames, his move was cut short as Toph stomped a hard foot on his throat, causing him to choke and wheeze out smoke. She kept her heel there, digging it right into the middle of his throat while he gasped for air, " Ack-!"

This man has done only two good things in his vile life; make Zuko and Azula and live long enough to watch as the Cursed Avatar reform his entire empire, starting with defeating him. She despised this man with every cell in her being.

This was the one who stood as the Earthbenders were tortured in prison camps, the one who agreed to the attacks against the Water Tribes, the one whose ancestors were responsible for the near extinction of the Airbenders, who wanted to do the same with the Earth Kingdom and crown himself king of fallen ashes.

Toph took a controlled breath before releasing it, her eyes stopped their glowing. She was out of the Avatar State. 

It was silent, the only thing heard were the man's pained choking.

"I should kill you right now, do the whole world a favor by ridding it of your disgusting existence ," She hissed, digging her heel harder into his throat and pressing nearly all her weight onto him as he still tried to fight against the rock, "But I won't"

Ozai choked out, " W… Weak- Gelk-!"

The Avatar lifted her foot only to slam it back down on his throat, an ugly mix between a choke and a cry escaped him, "Don't get me wrong, I want to kill you. I really do. It's not like I'm confused on a moral stand point or whatever," She admitted casually with a shrug, "But death sounds way too easy, way too good for you," She grinned manically, leaning down slightly, "I'm going to take great pleasure in making sure you suffer every day in the long, dishonorable life I have planned for you..." 

" Phoenix King"

Somehow, her smile curled even more.

He struggled more, thrashing his head back and forth in an effort to get her foot off his neck which only made her add more pressure to it. Toph took the fear in his heart and the franticness of his moments as a sign that she made a good decision in choosing a long, terrible life over the sweet satisfaction that death has to offer. 

Being bested by the 12 year old blind girl that he had created so much propaganda against, that she was weak, defenceless, and stupid. That she was an embarrassment to the world and killing her to bring forth the next Firebending Avatar will bring about redemption, that they were doing the spirits a favor. He lost horribly against her; the Phoenix King's three day reign was over as quickly as it began.

"TOOOOPH!!" 

She was snapped out of her thoughts by the energetic call of her name. She felt Appa flying down to the ground near the shore's rocky cliffs followed by- oh holy shit, was that one of the airships? 

Toph turned on her heel and ran forward, meeting Aang, the one who called her name, halfway into a tight bear hug, he cackled happily and squeezed her tight, "I missed you!" 

"I missed you too!" She laughed, hugging him back and spinning them around, "Did you guys kick ass?"

"Who do you take us for? Of course we did!" Suki exclaimed, flexing her arms, "I even drove the ship!" 

Azula shoved herself in front of the Kyoshi Warrior, dragging Zuko with her, "Zuzu bent his first ever lightning! You should've seen it! I've never been so proud in my life!" 

Zuko did what? 

"You did!?" Toph put Aang down and grinned at the 16 year old, "That's amazing, Hotman!" 

He folded his arms, "Yeah, I know. I'm pretty cool" He expressed pridefully 

"Cool? Heh, don't make me laugh," Sokka snorted before turning down to Toph, "But you were amazing too! You should've seen yourself! We saw your kick ass all the way from the ships!"

Katara nodded, stepped forward, "Yeah, you were great! But… " She sucked her teeth softly, looking at her. What was wrong? "Spirits, are you okay? You look like shit" 

She looks like shit, why would she- ow, okay. 

Now she felt it. 

Toph was suddenly brought to the reminder that she was just in a fight against a Firebender with a bending boost. 

All the pain of burns and bruises hit her all at once, she could feel the charred and burnt singe of her clothes. 

Ow...

The adrenaline that she was basically running off of had disappeared and Toph was left stumbling forward and luckily caught by Katara, who grabbed her by her upper arms, "I uh… Might need a few magic healing sessions, Waterbug"

She shot a crooked grin up at the Waterbender, who smiled with a gentle sigh, "You know, I really hoped that after the war was over we'd be going on real dates "

"And we will! My bones come first though!" She laughed

"Hey, what's that over… oh" Aang began to ask be more stopping, he was pointing over to Ozai

The man was still, he wasn't screaming or cursing or trying to break free or any of the other things she would have suspected him to do. His heart was still beating, so he wasn't dead. Just… lying there.

"Ew, he's in like a rock cocoon or something" Suki stuck her nose up in disgust as the group made their way towards the Firebender

Ozai was grumbling things to himself, his voice horse and raw, " Let me go, as the Phoenix King I demand you"

"What did he say?"

"Oh sorry guys, his voice is a little messed up. I kinda stomped on his throat a couple times, 'got a little carried away"

"Spirits, did we really look up to this man?"

"I know right?"

____________________

"Alright let's see… A proverb for Pai Sho"

"Hm. We're all different pieces on the same Pai Sho board, it's only when we work together and cooperate can the game be played and enjoyed," Iroh took a sip from his tea, "And you?"

"You can ever know for sure what someone's next move is gonna be, that's why it's important to focus on what you can do instead"

"Ah, good one!" 

Toph was sitting at a low wooden table inside the Fire Nation palace, across from her sat the new Fire Lord, Fire Lord Iroh .

They were playing Pai Sho over tea and creating proverb advice based on the first things that pop into their heads. They were in the main room with everyone else, everyone who had ever participated in the fight, the adults who were captured back during the eclipse were freed and here as well. 

They had all just come back from Iroh's Fire Nation coronation. Zuko and Azula both offered to be Fire Lord in their Uncle's place since they both knew that he didn't want to do it but he declined. They were both children and not to say she didn't believe that either of them couldn't do it, it was just a lot for someone so young. Especially after all they've gone through, they deserved a break. 

During his coronation speech, he swore to help in whatever way he can to help bring not just the Fire Nation but the entire world into an era of peace and love.

The war was officially over.

But that didn't mean the end of all things. Toph knew that the fight was far from over. The nations were still divided and the people were damaged and scarred. There is a long road ahead filled with hard work and duties but they can do it, she knows they can.

But right now Toph didn't need to focus on it, it's a good day. All she wanted to do was play Pai Sho and make up proverbs.

"I have one about tea- oh hello, Sokka, Suki" Iroh cut himself off as he turned to the two teenagers who interrupted their session 

"Hey Uncle" Suki smiled 

"Yeah, hey Uncle," Sokka said before looking down at the Avatar, "Do you know where Aang is, Toph? We can't find him anywhere and I wanna draw a group picture!" 

Aang? Was he not with them just earlier? Well, he isn't inside anymore, she can't feel him anywhere in the palace. 

"No, I dunno where he is but he'll turn up," She said with a wave before turning her attention back to the game board, "I'm busy" 

Sokka huffed, "Busy doing what? Exchanging therapy advice and drinking tea?" 

"Actually yes and it's very fun" 

Iroh gave a hearty laugh, "Go go, find him and spend some time with your friends. Our game will still be here when you come back" 

With an incredibly exaggerated groan, Toph stood to her feet, "That sounds like another proverb" 

"Maybe it is" Damn he's good at those, she really needs to step up her game. 

Toph left with Sokka and Suki, walking through the main room and over to where Katara, Zuko and Azula were. The Waterbender was watching with a silent, instigating delight as the siblings jabbed fingers at each other, zapping the other with tiny bolts of electricity. She wondered how Sokka was going to manage to keep them all still and quiet enough to draw a picture. 

"Okay we got Toph, now all we need is- Zuko, Azula!" Sokka began but when he noticed that the brother and sister weren't listening and instead playing a little game, he snapped his fingers to catch their attention, "Come on, focus! We still gotta find Aang!" 

Azula stopped zapping Zuko long enough to speak, trying to swallow down a large grin, "Oh calm down, he's outside in the garden. I saw him go there" 

Suki raised an eyebrow, "You knew where he was and didn't say anything?" 

"Well I was kind of in the middle of zapping my brother" 

"That's fair" Katara nodded in understanding (which shouldn't count since she wouldn't ever pass up an opportunity to mess with Sokka) 

Knowing that someone was about to speak and prolong their quest, Toph grabbed Sokka and Zuko's hands and started to drag them along, "Alright! Let's go find my brother!" 

"You guys aren't related!" Zuko shouted as the rest began to follow 

"Yeah, as far as you know!" 

In a matter of a couple minutes, the group found themselves outside and in the huge royal garden in the back of the palace.

"Okay if we split up, we'll be-" Sokka started but was cut off by- 

"Hahaha! Try and catch me, Momo!" 

Not too far from them was Aang, he was zooming around bushes and ponds on an air scooter. Chasing him was Momo, who was chittering and equalling as the boy laughed cheerfully.

She couldn't feel his turban on, his large tattoos were on display for the entire world to see. 

"Oh, hey guys!" He must have noticed them standing by and leaped off his Airbending ball, speeding up to them 

They all stood in silence and Toph could feel the hearts in Zuko, Azula and Suki's chests pound against their ribcage.

They didn't know Aang was a bender. 

They didn't know that he was an Airbender

"Aang, you have... tattoos..?" 

"Huh? Oh yep!" 

"YOU CAN FUCKING AIRBEND!?" 



Notes:

Aaaannnnnnnd that's it!!!! Jeez, could you believe I started this in January? Now it's nearly the end of the year already!!!!! :O whhhhaaatttt

First things first, I totally did NOT want to make Zuko have to be the Firelord yet. HE'S 16 AND TRAUMATIZED, GUYS!!! I know Iroh has a PRETTY bad past but…. I can't just let Zuko or Azula be the Firelord, they're kids,,,,

And Toph didn't kill Ozai!!!! I was really on the fence with this for a super long time while writing this! On one hand, I feel like Toph would totally REALLY WANT to kill him (she really, really, really, really did wanna) but at the same time, I LOVE that Ozai didn't die at the end of ATLA. So I decided to not kill him still but obviously Toph didn't kill him for the same reasons Aang didn't (which was because he was a pacifist and stayed true to his Airbending beliefs that all life is sacred WHICH I LOVE!!!)

Instead, I feel like for Toph, she wouldn't kill Ozai simply because she just wants him to suffer a lot for as long as possible for all the terrible shit he's done.

And our wonderful Zuzu learned lightningbending!!!!! I WAS SO TORN ON THIS!! Because on one hand, I LOVE LOVE the idea of lightningbending representing the horribly toxic behavior of his family and only knowing how to redirect it is him actively rejecting that. BUT ON THE OTHER, lightningbending is peace of mind and body AND it can show how him and Azula have grown their skills and their own identities OUTSIDE of their family and roles in the Fire Nation!!! SO I CHOSE THAT ONE

ALSO I THOUGHT I WAS SO FUNNY WITH ENDING IT WITH THE REST FINDING OUT AANG WAS AN AIRBENDER, OK

But anyway, that really is the end of my notes for the actual chapter. The rest is just my personal feelings towards this AU and whatnot.

I'm not saying I HATE this AU but I am saying that there's a lot I regret for this.

With rereading, editing and posting each chapter, as time went on, the more and more I guess… unhappy with it all? If that's any way to describe how I feel about all this.

But don't get me wrong, I really like this AU! But I think as I went on, the more and more I thought of and realized and came up with. I thought of better ideas and wanted SO badly to scrap certain things. But I couldn't because the entire story was done and unless I wanted to spend LITERAL MONTHS rewriting the entire story again, I had no choice but to leave all the things I didn't like in the story still.

I wished I did more with all this, I wished I didn't follow canon as closely as I did, I wish I strayed from a LOT more. Like I feel like the whole thing of everyone thinking Toph was cursed was something I should've explored EVEN MORE. And again, I wish I didn't follow canon so closely like with Toph mastering the Avatar State with Guru Pathik and stuff like that. I just wished I did A LOT more with this AU and explored ALL it's potential.

I have regrets when it comes to this AU but I DON'T regret writing this. It was an amazing learning experience!!! This was my FIRST ever multi chaptered book AND first ever series on AO3! It's definitely not the greatest thing ever, and again, I didn't like all the choices I made while writing this, but it is something and I want to learn from this!!

I had a lot of fun writing this and reading so many of your nice comments, seriously, all your comments and reads, they mean A LOT! I learned a lot from this and I hope this learning experience will pay off well!!!

Thank you to all those who read this, I'm so grateful for it ALL!!!

And I'm honestly considering continuing this? I know some of you said you wanted more but I'm still on the fence for the reasons stated before with all my regrets for this AU and stuff. But if you wanna see more, let me know!!!!

Again, THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!!!!!!

Series this work belongs to: