Actions

Work Header

Complicated

Chapter 68

Summary:

Grace goes into labor.

Chapter Text

It was late in the morning and Grace was in the bathroom putting on the finishing touches to her make up. The blusher brush was clasped between her fingers as she decorated the apples of her cheeks with the dandelion pink powder. Don had decided he was taking her out for lunch today, he wasn't due in to work until late in the afternoon and she was sure he was trying to make up for lost time in some respects. If she was honest Grace didn't mind being pampered or wined and dined.

Despite their amazing session last night, she was still self conscious about how her husband viewed her pregnant body. Being so large was a shock to her system and she had to regularly make allowances for her baby bump. She was used to being slimmer and more active and the baby hindered that, it made her slower and less responsive. Sometimes she felt like she was sluggish and fat, she couldn't even see her feet these days so how could she expect her husband to be attracted to her?

Yet Don claimed he was, he found it awe-inspiring that she was carrying his child. There was a primal urge deep down to protect and provide for his family, one that he took very seriously. It seemed that he couldn't keep his hands off of her and she enjoyed that. She thought he was aware of her need for reassurances.

All the time he whispered the most dangerous, sexy things into her ear and always it sent a delicious tingle riding through her body. Hearing all the dirty things he wanted to do to her in this heightened state drove her insane with desire and need. The fact he still wanted her no matter how clumsy and awkward she felt boosted her confidence in ways she could not being herself to explain.

The fact Don followed through with each and every huskily whispered word meant more to her than she could describe. Jesus just thinking of his hands roaming all over her body made her flush with delirious heat. He responded to her every whim, trying out the multitude of positions that made her more comfortable with patience and humour. No matter what she requested he delivered with ease and a smile.

God the memory of his fingertips digging into her hips as he took her from behind made her wet all over again. His throbbing, hot cock pumping in and out of her with deep, controlled strokes, her ass fitting snugly against the shape of his hips as she held herself up on all fours upon their bed. His words rang in her ears between his loud ragged pants.

"I sit at my desk thinking about fucking you like this, about plunging into your wet, tight, little pussy and making you scream with pleasure." he had growled as he slammed into her writhing, wanton form."Your mine, you and this baby are all mine and your gonna prove that by saying my name when you come Grace, I wanna hear you say it."

She had cried his name and a hell of a lot more as she rose up through the vicious haze of ecstasy that had stolen every doubt away her. He had taken her and there was no two ways about it and she loved being possessed like that. He never objectified her but by God he made damn sure she knew she was his. She held onto that feeling with vigour.

Being his was part of her identity now as much as being a mother was. She felt like pieces of her were being slipped into small, well organised cubbyholes. Cop, mother, wife, she was all of these things at once. Maybe not so much the cop at the moment but after the baby that would return. She liked the sense of belonging it gave her. She was in the right place at the right time, she could feel it.

The blusher brush clattered in the sink as Grace was viciously attacked by sudden cramping pain in her lower abdomen. Jesus Christ these Braxton Hicks Contractions were a bastard. They were worse than usual and lower down. It felt like her insides were seizing up completely. The only thing she could liken it to was to was horrendous menstrual cramps. Grace let out a shuddering breath at the sudden release between her legs. It felt like she was gushing and she knew the instant that it happened that this must be the real thing.

"Don!" Grace yelled, yanking open the bathroom door.

She gripped the door frame with an iron grasp as her lower body was crippled by another contraction. She wrapped her arm around her baby bump as Don hurried down the hall towards her. His hand was already on her chin tilting it up to look into his eyes as she grimaced in pain.

"I think the baby is coming." Grace said through between clenched teeth. "My waters have broken and the contractions are coming really fast."

"It's ok." Don told his wife firmly, cupping her soft cheeks in his warm, calm hands. "I'm just going to get the keys and then we'll get you to the hospital. Everything is going to be fine, I promise."

Grace nodded quickly as she swallowed hard against the lump in her throat. She was scared, she was so badly frightened of the lack of control she had over the situation. She had been to the classes, she was prepared for this but at the same time her lack of experience was what alarmed her. She didn't know if she could be a mother and it was too late to change her mind. Now it was make or break time.

"You can do this doll." Don said as if reading her thoughts, his fingers combing through her silky shoulder length hair as he pressed a lingering kiss to her lips. "I know you can."


Grace had underestimated how mentally and physically exhausting giving birth could actually be. The aftermath was so startlingly blissful she wasn't sure whether she was still high from the strawberry tasting gas she's been inhaling or not. Their baby girl was nestled against her chest, swaddled in a small pink blanket with a tiny pink hat pulled down over her head.

Jennifer Katelyn Flack was every single slice of heaven the two of them had imagined she'd be and more. She exceeded their expectations and Grace could barely formulate words in order to explain how she felt. One look at Don when Jenny was handed over to him and she knew he was hooked. She had never seen him look more awestruck than he had in that moment when he'd cradled their baby girl as gently as possible in the crook of his large arm.

In all the years she had known Don she had never seen such an acute expression of tenderness upon his handsome features. The smile was subtle and loving as his thumb delicately smoothed over his daughter's minuscule face.

"Welcome to the world Jennifer."

Jenny let out a modest grumble as Grace adjusted her beautiful daughter so she was settled a little more comfortably.

"She did not like that." Don commented as Jenny's fist curled around his forefinger as she waved her arms.

"I just can't believe how small she is." Grace murmured.

She hadn't taken her eyes off her daughter since Don had placed the baby in her arms for the second time. It amazed her how perfect little Jenny was. It surprised her how much of herself and Don she could see inside their daughter.

"I can't believe we made something so amazing." Don said quietly, shaking his head.

It astounded him that he could feel so much for something so tiny. He was so proud that he had contributed to this infant, that his wife had carried their daughter for nine months. The moment Jenny had been put in his arms he had felt their own bond bursting to life. He truly believed that she was a gift delivered to them from God.

"She has your eyes." Grace told him, tilting her chin up to stare into her husband's vivid blue eyes.

"From all that wailing she was doing when she first came out I think she has your mouth." Don teased, planting a chaste kiss on Grace's forehead.

"You really want to go there after five hours of labour?" Grace responded pointedly.

"Nah, not when your cranky like this." Don said humorously as he jiggled his finger a tad under his daughter's grasp. "You wore mommy out didn't you Jenny and now she's all grouchy."

"I think Jenny needs a hug from daddy." Grace told Don, holding the squirming bundle of rose pink blankets out to him.

"You getting tired?" Don questioned as he reached out to remove the baby from his wife's arms.

Grace nodded wearily, her eyelids already drooping at the fatigue that had captured her. She had wanted to hold her baby girl one last time before she drifted off to sleep. She hoped that she would dream of their child, so that she didn't lose a single precious moment with her.

"I'm proud of you." Don's words filtered through to her sleep logged brain as she sunk back onto the pillows.

"I'm proud of you too Don."