Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
From Romulus With Love
Stats:
Published:
2016-07-06
Updated:
2021-05-17
Words:
38,179
Chapters:
12/?
Comments:
32
Kudos:
102
Bookmarks:
20
Hits:
2,182

Negotiations

Summary:

In the wake of the Dominion War, the Federation seeks to strengthen its ties to the Romulan and Klingon empires. Senator Vreenak of Romulus and Ensign Reina Hence of Earth are grudgingly dragged into working together in a cultural exchange program and establish ties of their own. Originally posted on my FF.net account!

Chapter Text

 

As Julian Bashir pressed the hypospray to the Klingon’s neck he could only reflect that this certainly was not what he thought he would be doing today. A barfight between Romulans and Klingons, though not unexpected in hindsight, ruined his plans for a nice outing with Garak on the holodeck. The Cardassian had expressed disappointment at his cancellation, though he smiled when Bashir recounted the details of Senator Vreenak being launched over the bar at Quark’s.

Resisting the urge to laugh at the memory, Bashir hurried to treat the next Klingon waiting. This particular group hadn’t taken much of a beating, and only by the insistence of Sisko did they agree to be examined. Idle Klingons did not do well for a sick bay.

The Dominion War had ended only a few months past, and politically and logistically there was still a good deal to sort out. The powers that be, in this case, the Federation, decided that it was a perfect time to reorganize and renegotiate peace accords and agreements with the Romulan and Klingon Empires. A conference was currently being held at Deep Space Nine with several retinues from each interstellar power.The general idea was that if the three powers could unite and shed blood together against the Dominion, they could certainly further strengthen the bonds between their peoples. Unfortunately, the end goals and objectives of the negotiations were vague at best. And the chaos of war still bled over into peace time, making bureaucratic dealings and directives all the more unclear and frustrating, and the negotiators were beginning to feel it. This tension led to the dredging up of old grudges and bloodfueds, particularly between the Romulans and Klingons who had spent more time at war than practically any other species in the galaxy.

This latest bout of fighting was brought on by thinly veiled insults that a Romulan centurion directed at a particularly testy Klingon warrior, an aide of General Martok. One thing led to another, and well, here they all were, crowding up sickbay.

Bashir glanced over his shoulder at his newest assistant, Reina, who was currently examining a bruised Romulan, strategically placed away from the Klingons.

“Well, it looks like you’ll be fine,” Reina said with a smile as she moved the dermal regenerator over a nasty gash the Romulan had sustained.

The Romulan only scowled at her in reply.

Bashir smirked. As his newest assistant, Reina was a vivacious young woman, who could easily charm any human (a most other species) male off his feet. In fact, Bashir had always imagined her as someday becoming the wife of an ambassador or Starfleet admiral, wining and dining political adversaries and opponents alike. With a few flashes of her brilliant smile, they were sure to fall at her feet and acquiesce to anything she wanted.

 The Romulans were proving to be quite a challenge to her, however.

“I do not need to be here.” The Romulan said tightly.

“That gash on your head says otherwise” Reina replied with an even tone.

“If those Klingons had any honor, they would not have started the confrontation.”

Unfortunately, this last remark was heard quite clearly by the Klingons.

“What did you say?!” one shouted, crossing the room, “I’ll rip you apart Romulan! It is you who has no honor!”

“That’s enough!” Bashir said firmly, stepping between the Klingon and his target.

The Klingon sneered “What business do you have interfering in this, human?”

“It is his sickbay.” Reina reminded him. “And frankly, that’s no way to talk to someone who just spent time and effort focused on your wellbeing. If you have further concerns to address with the Romulans, I suggest you send it up to your superiors.”

She wagged one finger at the Romulan in front of her, “And that goes for you too!”

The Klingon hesitated for only a moment, then with a parting insult directed at Reina, exited the room. His colleagues closely followed.

Now, Bashir allowed a smile to grace his face. He had been wrong. Reina wasn’t destined to be an ambassador’s wife. She was destined to be the ambassador.

A little while later, once the sickbay had been cleared of battered Romulans, and the less battered Klingons, Bashir realized two key Romulan officials involved in the scuffle listed in Odo’s report hadn’t reported to Sick Bay.

With a sigh, Bashir tapped his comm badge “Bashir to Sisko”

“Sisko here.”

“Sir, Senators Letant and Vreenak have not checked in after the incident in Quark’s. Would I be committing a diplomatic offense in sending someone to check in on them? Wouldn’t want to be the cause of any bruised egos by playing nurse to them.”

“Frankly, I don’t care about their bruised egos. They acted like damn children.”

Bashir grinned, “Even so.”

“Even so, yes, check up on them. Sisko out.”

Bashir turned to Reina who was scrolling through a PADD, “Reina, could you do me a favor and check up on Senator Vreenak? I’ll take Letant. Just ensure he hasn’t sustained significant damage.”

Reina grinned “Play nurse to a senator? That’s what I live for!”

Her sarcasm was not lost on Bashir, “Just be delicate. I’m sure he’d find some way of turning this around on the Federation.”

Reina threw her hands up in a gesture of defeat, “Fine. I’m sure he’s a giant sweetheart anyway.” She muttered.

Bashir smiled, “Testy today are we?”

“That’s what happens when Romulans and Klingons both come for a visit.”

Bashir laughed, “You’re just mad because your smiles weren’t enough to win any of them over.”

Reina grinned brightly, “Luckily, you’re not immune.” She pinched his cheek affectionately, then swept past him to gather up some supplies.

Bashir shook his head. Vreenak would have his hands full with that one.

 

As Reina made her way to the quarters of the esteemed Romulan senator, she couldn’t help but feel the urge to laugh at her predicament. In taking a medical assistant position on the far flung Deep Space Nine, she had seen her fair share of assignments that were unusual in nature. This was especially because of the station’s proximity to the wormhole. All sorts of new medical phenomena came with the territory of contacting new species in the Gamma quadrant.

This upcoming task was familiar however. She had treated her fair share of grumpy, old men who were all too conscientious of appearing weak. She suspected that this case with an important, dignified Romulan senator would prove to be similar.

This assumption was proven wrong from the moment she spotted the double doors of the senator’s quarters. Outside were stationed two Romulan guards with dispositions that did not imply they would allow her to waltz in.

She steeled herself for an argument then stepped forward.

“What are you doing here?” one queried.

Reina offered her brightest smile then said peaceably, “I’ve been sent by Doctor Bashir, just to check up on the Senator.”

“He is in no need of assistance.” The other guard said firmly.

“Even so, it would make Commander Sisko that much more relieved if I personally saw to his comfort.” Reina said calmly.

The guards looked to each other, then one nodded. He pressed a button on the side panel of the door,

“Senator, Starfleet has sent a girl to see to your comfort.”

Before Reina could correct the guard’s unfortunate, and she suspected deliberate, phrasing, the doors slid open with a hiss. The guards stepped aside to allow her entrance.

Reina entered cautiously, suddenly very aware that she was uncertain how to act in the presence of an interstellar diplomat.

At first, she couldn’t see him. Then spotted the top of a dark head on the sofa.

“Senator?”

He sat up and craned his neck to observe her, “Come.” He said. He was seated in a relaxed fashion, a PADD balanced on one knee and a drink in hand. Reina approached, surprised at the senator’s even tone.

Reina walked around the sofa, “Hello, I’m Ensign Hence, Doctor Bashir sent me to-“

“See to my comfort?” Vreenak supplied with a wry look. “Yes, I know.”

Reina flushed a little at that, “That was poor phrasing sir.”

“You think my guard has poor phrasing?”

Reina felt herself blushing even more, “Well that particular remark-“

“Hmm,” the Senator cut her off. His eyes swept over her, and she found herself scanning him in return. Vreenak was not nearly as old as she had thought, though it was often difficult to tell where Romulans were concerned. He had neatly cut black hair, with no signs of graying, and sharp facial features that reflected the remarkable intelligence he was rumored to possess. All in all, nothing that Reina had expected. Her medically trained eye also picked up on his posture, which looked as if it was accommodating some internal pain.

Without invitation she took out her tricorder to scan him, seating herself next to him in the process. He raised an eyebrow at her abrupt manners, but allowed the scan to continue.

 As she went to work on her examination, she felt his scrutinizing gaze on her face. It was making her vastly uncomfortable, a feeling which reflected itself on her face as a blush crept up from her neck to her cheeks. She didn’t dare stare directly into his face, but she got the impression that he was amused by her nervous energy.

 “Find anything?” he asked.

“You’re a little bruised up, but nothing serious. I’ll give you something for the pain.”

Vreenak scoffed, “Are all Starfleet medical officers so insightful?”

Reina willed her body not to react to the abrasive comment, but felt the blush on her face intensify anyway.

“Are all Romulan senators so easily drawn into petty disputes at bars?” she replied.

Vreenak’s lips tightened in anger at her remark, and Reina silently berated herself for her lack of control. It wasn’t like her to be so belligerent. She had dealt with plenty of patients with nastier attitudes than this guy, and yet for some reason he was managing to push her buttons. And she couldn’t get this damn blush off of her face.

She reached for her hypospray, noticing a bottle with blue liquid on the table in front of them. The same substance filled Vreenak’s glass.

“Kali-fal?” she asked.

“I’m glad you know the Romulan name Ms. Hence.”

“Ensign Hence.”

He waved a hand, “Yes of course. I’d offer you some but it’s an extremely intoxicating beverage for humans, particularly females.”

Reina didn’t know if it was because of Vreenak’s flippant attitude or her own discomfort in the situation, but seemingly of its own accord, her hand reached out and took the glass from the Senator’s hand. Meeting his shocked gaze, she calmly gulped down the remaining contents of the glass.

Instantly, her mouth and throat were aflame. She struggled to maintain her composure as she said, “I’ve had worse.”

Vreenak grinned, “Oh yes, I’m sure you have.”

He plucked the glass from her hand and placed it on the table.

“Don’t try and stand for a few minutes.” He advised.

Defiantly Reina stated, “Well, unfortunately duty calls. If you need anything else please don’t hesitate to call sickbay.”

Vreenak watched Reina amusedly, “Ms. Hence, you haven’t given me my injection.”

 “Right, of course. I was just getting to that.” Reina cleared her throat and turned to Vreenak, who propped his arms up on the back of the couch and watched her with the hint of a smirk at the corner of his mouth.

Reina adjusted the dosage level on the head of her hypospray, then quickly injected the medicine into Vreenak’s neck. She was surprised to feel her fingers brush against pleasantly warm, dry skin.

 “There. That should take care of any internal pain.” She said, “As I said please contact Sick Bay if any other symptoms arise.”

Reina rose from the couch and her vision began spinning.

“Wha-“

She landed back on the couch with a huff.

“Ms. Hence, are you sure you are unaffected by the kali fal?” Vreenak asked amusedly.

“Like I said, I’ve had worse. I just have terrible balance.” She lied.

“Hmm, well in that case don’t let me keep you. Please attend to your duties.”

Reina held in a growl. Smug bastard. Her ire at the Senator propelled her into standing once again. This time she managed to stay upright, but that was about as much progress as she made. When she leaned forward to gather her supplies, her vision once again began swimming and she came dangerously close to collapsing on the low coffee table.

Surprisingly, she felt warm hands on her hips tugging her backwards. Soon she found her back pressed up against the chest of Vreenak, who was now standing to assist her.

“Ensign.” He chuckled.

Reina felt the rumble in his chest vibrate against her back and recognized it as a pleasant sensation.

“Senator.” She said thickly, “I do apologize. The drink may have had more of an effect than I realized.”

It hurt her pride to admit it, but for the sake of diplomacy with the Romulan Empire she figured it would be best not to further antagonize the high ranking senator who just got his ass beat by a group of Klingons. Best to apologize for the damage she may have already done, then hightail it out of there.

She twisted herself around to face the Romulan, grateful that he gripped her arms to help with her balance.

“Forgive me. I’ll see myself out.”

“I doubt you will.” He remarked dryly, “Unless you plan on crawling on your hands and knees to your quarters.”

For some reason this description struck Reina as suggestive and she felt the blush on her face returning. Luckily, Vreenak was occupied with his communication device, contacting his guards.

“Neral, please come and assist Ms. Hence in returning to her quarters.”

The door slid open and the guard who initially heckled Reina walked in. Vreenak handed Reina off to him.

“Goodbye Ms. Hence.”

Reina didn’t bother replying.

As the guard called Neral escorted her back to her quarters, Reina avoided eye contact with him only muttering when necessary to give directions. However, she did sneak a few peeks at him a couple of times and was surprised at his neutral, almost bored face. Did he often escort inebriated women from the Senator’s quarters? He certainly seemed unfazed by this task. Or maybe it had just been an off kilter day for the Romulan guards after the earlier altercation, and everything else just paled in comparison.

They finally stopped at Reina’s quarters and Reina thanked the guard for his service before typing her security code into the door’s panel and quickly ducking into her room.

Her first priority was to drink some water. She had always been something of a lightweight and the last thing she needed was to end up hungover because of her ill advised consumption of kali fal.

Once she felt the drunken effects wearing off, she put in a call to Julian to explain why she’d be missing the rest of her shift. She decided to be honest about it. After all, she hadn’t had many indiscretions during her career and she trusted Julian to forgive her mistake. Besides, if she did lie about it and Vreenak decided to report the incident to Sisko she’d have more consequences to deal with.

Luckily, Julian laughed it off.

“Romulan ale? Reina, you know the effects it has on the human body! It’s highly intoxicating in comparison to human alcoholic beverages and you…”

“I know, I’m a lightweight. I had no business messing with the stuff. I was just…I don’t know.”

She didn’t care to explain that Vreenak had flustered her so badly that she wanted to do something, anything, to push back and regain her confidence in his presence.

After her conversation with Julian, Reina rummaged through her clothing and changed into the most comfortable outfit she had, a ratty t-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts. Setting an alarm for the next morning, she snuggled into bed and found herself dozing off to thoughts of being caressed by warm, dry hands.