Actions

Work Header

Picture Unperfect

Summary:

Kagome's father expects nothing but perfection out of she and her brother. But when she meets the so-called resident bad boy at her new school, her familiar by-the-book routine is corrupted and suddenly she's lying to her father, skipping class, delaying in doing her homework, and sneaking out at night?!

Notes:

Summary is subject to change if I think of something better or want to add to it.

Warning: Inuyasha will be OOC in this story. Kagome will be too, slightly. Don’t like, don’t read.

Chapter Text

 

Kagome Higurashi stood in front of her new high school with an air of distaste because anything new meant change, and Kagome hated change. She liked things orderly and routine, where she could follow the same schedule every day, from start to finish, where there are no surprises and everything went according to plan right down to the exact minute.

 

And right now she had approximately seven minutes and twenty-nine seconds to get to her first class so she’d better not dawdle any further lest she end up late. And she was never late. Kagome hated being late for anything.

 

She wasn’t about to start now.

 

Grimacing, Kagome smoothed out her already immaculate salmon sweater and light gray knee-length skirt before forcing herself to continue forward, into the ever growing horde of fellow students, chattering loudly and laughing with their friends while they milled around on the grounds, no doubt procrastinating getting to class.

 

Clutching her books to her chest, Kagome hunched her shoulders and tried to make herself as small as possible as she meandered her way through the sea of teenagers, wondering why they thought it was necessary to stand around right front of the school entrance. It was hard not to bump into someone as people were constantly cutting her off as they ran in front of her, uncaring of the individuals they were causing to stop short before colliding head on with them.

 

Kagome’s eyebrow twitched and she narrowed her brown eyes, her lips forming a tight line. Taking a calming breath, she forged on and, catching a glimpse through the crowd of bodies the stone steps that led up to the double doors of the building. Part of her wanted to just shove her way through the mass of students to get to her destination, but the other part – the more rational and timed part – decided that wasn’t such a good idea and so she managed to squeeze her way through after what seemed like a small eternity and she released the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding when she finally made it to the landing.

 

Nodding to herself, and straightening out her slightly askew clothing, Kagome tucked a stray piece of raven hair behind her ear and bravely entered the school…where she was immediately dismayed to see that inside was just as bad as outside, perhaps worse. Refraining from the urge to groan aloud in frustration, the teenager managed to dodge several groups of girls and boys as they all headed to their destinations, no doubt lockers or classrooms, while Kagome herself searched for hers, which happened to be the main office. She hadn’t a clue where anything was, and was hoping the secretary could provide her with a map. She’d already received her schedule in the mail, so luckily that was one less thing she had to worry about.

 

After about a minute, the raven-haired girl finally found it – it wasn’t hard since it was right in the open – and with a small sound of relief, Kagome hurried toward it, eager to get inside the less crowded confines of the office, and most likely quieter too. All this noise was giving her a headache.

 

Kagome was a step away and reached out to grab the handle, but paused when the handle turned itself and the next thing she knew her books were flying from her arms as the door quite literally knocked her off her feet. Her butt hit the tiled floor with a hard thud and she winced, snapping her legs closed to preserve her modesty and desperately trying to ignore the badly concealed snickers and curious eyes openly staring at her. Her face burned in embarrassment and she ducked her head, biting her lip and staring at her brown loafers.

 

“Oh, shit. Uh. Sorry,” was the somewhat lame apology she got and she didn’t even bother to look up as the boy who knocked her on her ass by opening the door in her face made a hasty retreat, not bothering to stick around and help her up. Typical.

 

“Apology not accepted,” Kagome mumbled irately, but then just as quickly as it appeared her anger vanished and she sighed, staring despondently at the scattered books around her. What a fantastical day this was turning out to be, she mused dryly and considered the merits of just curling into a ball and pretending she was still in bed asleep and this was all just a bad dream.

 

But it wasn’t a dream and her butt was getting numb from sitting on the cold hard floor and if she didn’t get up soon she was going to be late, and that was definitely something she didn’t want to add on to her already growing list of annoyances.

 

With another sigh, doing a quick calculation in her head that told her she had about three minutes left to get to class, Kagome was about to pick herself up when suddenly a hand was thrust in front of her face and she blinked at it, taking note of the claws tipping each finger.

 

Demon, she automatically thought as her chocolate gaze traveled up the arm it was attached to and she found herself staring into two pools of molten gold. A friendly smile was curling a pair of lips and Kagome’s eyes widened slightly as an involuntary blush crept up her neck to stain her cheeks pink. Her mouth parted into a little “o” shape as she took in the handsome features of the teenaged boy before her. Thick black brows slanted over those amber orbs and silver hair cascaded down his back, his bangs fluttering in front of his eyes, and the cutest dog ears she had ever seen sat perched on his head, twitching at every sound and at the moment they were trained on her. Not demon…half-demon?

 

“Hey,” he said and her flush deepened. So did his smile. “Are you alright?”

 

“I…” Her eyes trailed down his figure, idly taking note of red tee-shirt he was wearing with the letters “.em etiB” in black print on it (it took Kagome a minute to figure it out) and the slightly baggy black jeans with the knees missing. Brown Timberland boots completed the look. She had to admit, he pulled the look off very well.

 

He was still holding out his hand and Kagome stared at it like it was an alien from another planet. The boy before her chuckled and wiggled his fingers, a subtle reminder that he was still waiting for her to take it.

 

Kagome squeaked and snapped her gaze back to his laughing one before slowly, shyly, she placed her much smaller hand into his own and allowed him to haul her upright. She wasn’t expecting the strength in which he put behind the action and she ended up falling into his chest. A very hard and toned chest. His hands landed on her waist to steady her and a warm tingle shot up Kagome’s spine.

 

“I’m-I’m sorry!” she squeaked and hastily stepped away, taking her hand back from his and ducking her head. She folded her hands before her and screwed her eyes shut tight, absolutely mortified to have been caught staring stupidly at her feet while sitting on the floor by handsome half-demon. A half dog demon, she inwardly corrected herself.

 

He didn’t say anything, and Kagome thought for sure he thought she was strange and perhaps a little dimwitted. She heard him shuffling around and a few seconds later his voice reached her ears again, the friendly tone still there.

 

“Are these yours? Hm…Kagome Higurashi, huh? You must be new here.”

 

Gasping, Kagome’s eyes flew open to see him holding her books and staring down at her schedule which had been tucked inside one of her text books. It must have fallen out when her books went flying. He looked back at her, those sunset eyes once again captivating her, and held out the torture devices—er, books.

 

“Oh, y-yes, thank you,” she breathed and timidly reached out to take them from him. He didn’t loosen his grip and she blinked, flicking her gaze up at him questioningly.

 

He smiled at her again and her heart skipped a beat. “I’m Inuyasha Yamaguchi. Friends call me Yash.” He winked at her, his smile widening when her flush returned. God, she was adorable. “Want me to show you where your first class is? The warning bell’s about to go off, and you’ll be stuck in there—” He jerked his head toward the office behind him. “—for at least fifteen minutes if that’s where you were headed. Looks like I’m your only hope if you don’t wanna be late.” Inuyasha smiled charmingly at her and secretly wondered how dark of a red he could get her face to go.

 

Thinking her face probably rivaled that of a tomato by now, Kagome realized that he was right; he really was her only hope if she didn’t want to be late. The warning bell echoing throughout the lobby and hall ways emphasized that point so hugging her things to her chest once more, Kagome bit her lip and nodded, to which he swept out his arm before him with a gallant, “Right this way, milady.”

 

She had to resist the urge to giggle. Perhaps this day would take a turn for the better?

 

Inuyasha took her down the hallway to their left and ushered her up a flight of stairs and led her to the first doorway on the right, the number twenty-two on display above the doorway.

 

“Here you go. Old man Totosai is pretty cool and pretty much lets you do what you want after his lecture, but he’s also kinda scatterbrained and sometimes forgets he’s teaching a class.” He rolled his eyes and shook his head in a “tsk tsk” kind of matter and this time a small giggle escaped Kagome before she could stop it. Inuyasha grinned and hitched his bag higher onto his shoulder.

 

“I’ll catch ya later, Kagome. Nice meeting you.” He winked, gave a two fingered salute, then turned around and jogged off down the hallway, joining the other few students who waited too long and were now hurrying to get to class on time.

 

Kagome stood there a second longer than necessary watching his retreating back, a soft, shy smile gracing her lips. Then, feeling better than when she did upon entering the building, she turned and entered the room where her first period class, history, would take place.