Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2016-10-04
Updated:
2017-04-12
Words:
11,102
Chapters:
5/?
Comments:
25
Kudos:
102
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,157

Love & Corrections

Chapter 2

Notes:

Hello!!
I was planning to write a little more but I liked where I finished so, I kept it the way it is. ((:
Also, apologise for any grammatical errors, I'm extremely tired today but I was in the mood to write. cx

Enjoy! Xx

tumblr: http://wentworth-freakytits.tumblr.com

Chapter Text

 

The car rumbled to life as Vera turned the keys. She pulled out of the carpark space and left the prison. On her way home, she thought of nothing. Her mind was empty. She hummed to the low noise coming from the radio. Her usual bubbly self was replaced with a tired and simply confused version. She slowed at the traffic lights. No one was there, she could've just went through. Suddenly, she heard a crash and before she had even registered it, her car went flying forward. Her head bounced onto the steering wheel and then the car stopped moving. She groaned in pain, slowly lifting her hand to her cheek. It was wet with blood. She shut off the engine and cursed before getting out of the car.

A man stepped out of the other, his eyes were wide with shock.

"I'm so.. sorry! I can't believe.. I'm sorry! Brakes just stopped working, I couldn't do anything!" the man exclaimed. Vera blinked at him. She was too tired and in shock to talk. She walked to the boot of her car to inspect the damage. 

"Shit..." she mumbled looking at the boot of her car. It was all crushed. She'd have to get it fixed. The tail lights were smashed in. The man had a large 4WD with a bull bar. There was no obvious damage to his car, perhaps a scratch at most. Vera turned back to the man who was panicking to himself. She remained oddly calm.

"Look, just give me your insurance details and I'll be on my way," she spoke to the man. He nodded and scrambled back to his car. She assumed to get paper or something.

He rushed back after a few minutes with a paper in his hand.

"That's all of it. I'm so sorry, ma'am," the man spoke is a rushed voice. She nodded lazily and took the paper out of his hand. She turned back to her car. She just wanted to go home, her stomach was rumbling.

"Have a good night!" the man yelled out to her. She sighed and didn't respond. Everything was going wrong for her today. She got back in her car and grabbed a tissue out of the glove box. She wiped the blood from her face off of the steering wheel. She turned the key of the car and it started back up. The quiet music played from the radio again. The house that she shared with Joan was just up the road. She accelerated and she was on her way.

 

›››‹‹‹

 

She pulled into the driveway. She would have to get a lift with Joan tomorrow and do an extra shift in order to leave to go to work at the same time as her. She rested her head on the steering wheel. Vera believed in karma and she knew she hadn't done anything to deserve a day like this. She pulled the keys out of the ignition and kept them in her hand. She grabbed her bag that was sitting on the passenger seat, she slung it onto her shoulder and left the car. She slammed the door shut and slowly made her way up to the front door of their house -- originally just Joan's. 

She pushed the house key into the lock and turned it whilst pushing the door. It opened and Vera was met with a gust of warm air. The smell of home and the faint cleaning product comforted her. She closed the door behind her and locked it. She dumped her bag and shoes at the door, not caring. Joan would probably go off at her for not putting them away correctly. She just didn't care at the moment. She could hear that the TV was on in the lounge room. 

Vera went straight to the kitchen knowing that Joan had warmed up her dinner. As she got closer to the kitchen, she could smell chicken. She licked her lips in delight. The best thing to happen today was that she going to eat chicken for dinner. Vera grabbed the still warm plate of food from the counter and placed it at the dining table. She went back to go find a fork and a knife. However, she didn't know that Joan had reorganised everything. She also didn't know that Joan was watching her with amusement. Joan could only see the back of her head. Vera was looking the the draw she remembered them being in. She cursed under her breath. Was she going nuts?

"They're not there, dear," Joan spoke up from the other side of the room.

"I can see that," Vera huffed. Joan's eyebrows furrowed at her. She was far from herself. Joan took a few long strides and stood behind the younger woman who was clearly distressed. She wrapped her arms around Vera's waist, pulling her towards herself.

"I'll make up for not cooking tonight. I'll do it tomorrow," Vera spoke, leaning into the woman behind her.

"Don't worry about it, Vera."

"I also need to get a lift with you tomorrow," Vera said nervously. Joan let go of Vera and spun her around. Her dark eyes were drawn to the cut on her cheek. Worry and concern took control of Joan's body.

"What happened to you? Were you in accident?" Joan questioned in a rushed voice whilst gliding her thumb gently along Vera's jaw, still looking at the fairly deep cut on her face.

"The car behind me's brakes failed, crashed into the back of my car. I just hit my head on the steering wheel. The boot of my car will need to be repaired and so do the brake lights," Vera explained, sighing, "I'll take an extra shift tomorrow."

"No, you won't. You need to rest, Vera," Joan disagreed, shaking her head slightly.

"I'm fine, really. It won't hurt since... Mr. Fletcher.. decided to leave earlier," Vera visibly shuddered when speaking the man's name. Joan was beyond furious with this man. This pathetic excuse of an officer. All she needed was to get Vera to put in an official complaint and she could suspend him for a long time. That's what she wanted to do. She could always attempt to force him to resign but knowing Channing, he'd get out of it. Channing was useful at times but also a burden.

Vera clicked her fingers in front her lover's face. She could see the concentration and even anger on Joan's face. She was spaced out. Vera rolled her eyes.

"Joan," she said loudly. The woman in front of her blinked a few times and looked back down at Vera.

"You can plan your revenge later, come sit with me," Vera teased, pulling Joan towards the lounge room, forgetting about her dinner. She frankly didn't care.

Joan was fascinated with the younger woman dragging her along. Joan struggled with emotions.. expressing emotions.. anything to do with emotions. Yet, Vera stayed. Vera was patient. A smile appeared on her face as Vera sat down on the couch, pulling Joan down with her. Vera immediately cuddled up next to her the second she sat down. Vera leaned her head on Joan's shoulder. Joan wrapped her arm around the shorter woman, pulling her towards herself.

Joan knew the routine. It had been like this long before Vera actually moved in. They'd watch whatever was on and Vera would fall asleep on her. She'd later have to pick her up and take her to bed.

Joan's smile widened as she heard the light snores come from beside her.