Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Stony*
Stats:
Published:
2013-07-10
Completed:
2013-07-17
Words:
17,461
Chapters:
6/6
Comments:
32
Kudos:
1,010
Bookmarks:
249
Hits:
25,746

Love and Hate

Summary:

The world thought Iron Man hated Captain America but the truth was far grimmer then that…

Tony Stark was in love with Steve Rogers.

Notes:

So I realized that this little fluffy, schmoopy romp hadn't had an overhaul. After my other this is just a complete fluffy, full of feels and love. Un-beta'd for the moment.

It was originally born out of reading some fics were Tony is doused and all over Steve, I went the other way with it. So prepare for the feels...and fluff...oh yes there will be fluff

Chapter 1: Oil and Water

Chapter Text


 

“Stark behind you!” the voice snapped angrily in his ear, just as the red gold blur dodging out of the way.

 

“Pay attention Stark, you’re going to get yourself killed!” Captain America growled glaring upwards at the hovering figure.

 

“Yeah whatever don’t get your panties in a bunch,” the billionaire grunted blasting out another alien.

 

“Cap and Stark are at it again,” Clint muttered firing off an arrow at one of the incoming enemy.

 

Natasha snorted reloading, “What else is new, oil and water those two.”

 

Steve threw his shield with vehemence, “Focus,” he grunted. Ignoring the lance of pain in his chest at their rather astute observation.

           

Tony moving above them, danced out of the way of the Hulk ignoring the banter on the comm, focusing at the task at hand. The sooner they dealt with this alien menace the sooner he could go back to his lab and ignore everyone.

 

With a roar of triumphant from the green man, the giant monster fell to the ground in agonized rage. Tony paused watching in satisfaction; things where wrapping up nicely, didn’t need him anymore. About to take off back to his lab he spotted several of the smaller creatures trying to sneak up on Captain America. Without thinking he dropped, firmly planting himself between them and the big spangled man.

 

Steve heard the blast, whipping around quickly he was surprised to see Iron Man at his back. Blue eyes blinked in shock sure his tired mind was conjuring up subconscious desires. Shaking his head he caught something out of the corner of his eye; one of the creatures leveled a weapon at the armored man.

 

Steve didn’t think, just reacted, hurriedly getting into the line of fire, every fiber of his being yelling protect.

 

Unable to get his shield up in time Captain America took brunt of the blast in the chest. The impact knocking him senseless, sending him sliding along the pavement.

 

 Iron Man could only watch stunned.

 

Time seemed to move in slow motion as Steve’s lifeless form sailed through the air.

 

“Steve,” he cried panic overriding his good sense at the sight of the big man lying motionless in the street. Hurrying to the prone hero’s side Tony tugged his helmet off, worried brown eyes scanning the dirty face, chest constricting with worry.

 

The others joined him just as Tony reached out; trembling hands pausing when he heard a faint moan. Relief washed through the metal clad man, as those beautiful blue eyes opened slowly. Tony exhaled in relief sitting back on his hunches, a shaky hand running through his hair.  

 

Steve felt like the Hulk had hit him.

 

His body ached; his head throbbed as thoughts muddled together. Disoriented he blinked, the others looking at him with various degrees of concern. Among them, the bruised, sweaty face of Tony Stark…but that couldn’t be could it? Tony hated him.

 

“Ok Cap?” Clint asked holding out his hand to help the big man to his feet. Wincing Steve gripped the offered arm getting awkwardly to his feet.

 

“Yes thank you, I’m ok little winded.”

 

Tony hid his relief snapping his helmet back on as he stood.

 

The Hulk bereft of enemies was beginning to shrink, returning to Banner. It would appear the battle had ended. Good. Without a word Tony took off, heading back to the Tower, in no mood to tolerate Fury’s ire, nor Steve’s disappointed lectures about his endangerment of team.

 

 

“JARVIS shut down communications,” he instructed landed heavily.

 

“Very good Sir.”

 

Tony ignored the censure in the AI’s tone; he didn’t want to be around the others…he just wanted to be alone. Stripped of his armor he headed further into the Tower, fully intending to get lost in his suit.

 

He stormed into his lab locking the place down immediately no one was getting in. Especially not goody-two shoes, perfect…handsome Steve Rogers.

 

Furiously he called up his latest suit modifications, he’d bury himself in work and forget all about today. All about his heart nearly stopping when Steve had got knocked out. About his own telling reaction…

           

Tony pushed around the holo’s half assed, neither his heart nor his mind in it. Sighing frustrated he slumped in his chair burying his face in his arms, the same question that had been rolling around in his brain for months once more surfacing.

 

“Why doesn’t he like me?” he asked aloud in the quite room.

 

Anthony Stark knew he had a tendency to rub people the wrong way; he was loud, obnoxious, to smart of his own good, and far too reckless. He’d never given a moment thought to what others thought of him, had done what he wanted, when he wanted…that is until the human popsicle had been pulled from the deep freeze.

 

Like the heroic legend portrayed in the comics, Captain America had come to save humanity.

 

Without thinking he reached out tapping a hidden file, grainy black and white footage playing. Silent movies featuring a man in spandex pants, dark eyes watched listlessly. He’d seen them all hundreds of times before, read all the comics, had all the trading cards…a better collection then Colson, not that he’d ever tell. Captain America had been his childhood hero…and truth be told was still his hero.

 

Brave, honorable, and gorgeous.

 

Captain America was leading the Howling Commando’s on the screen, Tony couldn’t help the smile that tugged at the corners of his mouth, what he wouldn’t give to have been there with him, watching his back as they battled Hydra.

 

When he’d first met the Cap he’d barely been able to contain himself, the man was a living legend watching him fight had been amazing; right out of the comics. Tony had utterly hero-worshiped the man, right up until he’d opened his stupid mouth.

 

In typical Tony fashion he’d said all the wrong things.

 

It had been six months since their defeat of Loki…and he and Steve where still at one another’s throats.

 

The short movie ended and old footage of a USO show started up, Tony managing to find a smile as the Star Spangled Man with the plan knocked out Hitler.

 

The films ended documents and pictures shuffling by, everything and anything on Steven G. Rogers, Captain America, and the serum, mostly his father’s old files. Howard had made Captain America his obsession, one that had cost him his family.

 

Tony never really got on with Howard, but in the end he was still his father, and somewhere in his arc driven heart he hoped he had made his father proud.

 

You’re no hero…

 

The words echoed in his head again, just as they had been for months. In a heartbeat Captain America had crushed him. Those words from that man had hurt more then when they’d cut his chest open and hooked him up to that godforsaken car battery.

 

Clever fingers pushed the file away closing it down. Eyes hot and dry as his ever present blue glow dimmed, he rubbed at the hallow ache in his chest, sighing heavily.

 

The world thought Iron Man hated Captain America but the truth was far grimmer then that…

 

Tony Stark was in love with Steve Rogers.

 

-#-#-#-

 

The only noise in the gym was the steady thump of his fist connecting with the bag. With every solid hit he felt his mind calming, centering…a rarity for Steve Rogers these days.

 

He was a man out of time, forcibly pulled into a fast paced, confusing world. He’d been forced to adapt quickly, and the learning curve was incredibly steep. Pausing he tugging off his sweat soaked t-shirt, bulky muscular frame glistening. Puffing lightly he went back to the supposedly burst proof bag Stark had made.

 

Steve’s frown deepened, Tony Stark. The very name conjured up all sorts of confusing, intense emotions.

           

He had been friends with Howard in his day, and to hear when he was awoke that his son was running his company, and a superhero in his own right it had been heartening. He’d been eager to meet Stark, desperate to have a friend in this time.

 

Only when he’d met the loud, larger then life man he hadn’t felt a friendship…it was something else entirely. Teasing dark eyes had captured him effortlessly, the teasing smiles, the silly little nicknames….Tony had made him feel something. Something hot, uncomfortable, and confusing.

 

He grunted punching harder, the bag groaning ominously on its chain. Panting his movements were almost a blur, as if he could punch the confusion away.

           

Tony made him feel, made him want…made him burn and it terrified him. So he lashed out. He’d been so very cruel to the man when they’d met; so much so he was still ashamed at his words.

 

He had accused the man of not willing to make the sacrifice play, to lie down on the wire for the next man. Tony had snapped back ‘I’d cut the wire’ and Steve had not understood at the time. He did now though. All too well.

 

Tony didn’t want anyone to sacrifice themselves unless he was the one doing it.

 

He could still see Iron Man falling lifeless from the sky, his heart falling with him, every awful thing he’d said rolling through his head.

           

Steve had been so scared he’d loose him, loose that new terrifying feeling he had found. Tony made him feel alive…and that scared him more then anything.

 

Grunting he saw the bag begin to split, perversely satisfied it was going to break. Breathing he gave a final one two combination the chain snapping. The bag tearing open and sailing across the room.

 

He stopped chest heaving with exertion as blue eyes stared unseeing at the mess he’d made. Mind unbidden returning to earlier, he’d yelled at Tony and how had the man responded? He’d saved him.

           

Steve moved then feeling oddly light head as he shook sweat soaked blonde hair; maybe he should have gone to see medical after being hit by that weapon. Pushing away the thought he grabbed up his discarded shirt, tugging it back on he tuned with one destination in mind. He was going to go to Tony’s lab, probably end up lecturing him…when all he really wanted to do was take him in his arms, beg for forgiveness; tell him that he didn’t hate him.

           

Feet moving along a familiar path he paused on the stairs, eyes blurring for a moment. Frowning he shook his head clearing his vision. Fobbing it off as just being overly tired, he continued on.

 

Reaching the lab door he had a moments hesitation, maybe he should wait for this. See Tony in the morning when he was once more in control. When his emotions weren’t all over the place.

 

Yet he wanted to talk to Tony, needed to see him…even if it was just to have a fight. Decision man he keyed in the entry code, ignoring it when his eyes fuzzed out again.

 

The door opened and he stepped inside, spotting the man instantly. Tony was working on one of his many cars, dark eyes glancing up at the intrusion.

           

Tony had finally managed to loose himself in the work, but the sound of the door had pulled him back to the here and now. Recognizing the big man instantly he hid his sigh. Tightening the bolt, slowly he set his tools aside grabbing the rag as he turned to face his visitor.

 

Wiping grease stained fingers he approached the other, Steve had his arms crossed across his sweat soaked t-shirt, sticking to his muscular torso. How the man managed to look so good after working out was beyond Tony. Hands relatively clean he tossed aside the rag, arms folding across his chest. Already resigned to the upcoming lecture and argument.

 

“Stark,” Steve greeted briskly.

 

“Captain,” he returned face betraying nothing.

 

The big blond took a deep breath, “What where you doing out there today?” he demanded.

 

Tony ignored the rhetorical question, instead focusing on Steve’s hand. Knuckled still wrapped from the gym, but what got his had him frowning was blood spotting the white tape. He worried his lower lip, had he hurt his hands on that new bag he’d designed? Maybe the material had been too tough. He tried to focus on the man again, Steve gathering steam.

 

“You can’t just ignore the rest of the team, you do need to take some direction -“

 

Tony tuned out again; it was the same old song and dance. Captain America, the team player, perfect… his thoughts trailed off, as Steve stopped mid tirade. Running a hand through mussed blond locks, eye unfocused he shook his head as if to clear it.

 

Tony frowned worriedly.

 

Steve was having trouble holding onto his thoughts, and his eyes where blurring again. Tony wavering and jumping in his line of sight as he blinked rapidly to try and bring him into focus.

 

“Tony,” he said tongue feeling thick, maybe if he got closer.

 

Tony blinked in shock; Steve never used his first name. Uncrossing his arms he stepped forward, the big man blinking rapidly, jaw working.

 

“Steve?” he ventured, watching at he took a step forward, before frowning down at his legs.

 

Confused blue eyes met with brown, locking for a heartbeat before Steve slumped to the floor.

 

Tony leapt forward barley managed to grab wide shoulders, keeping Steve from face planting. Cursing at the sudden dead weight he cradled the man close trying not to panic, Captain America did not just keel over…this was bad. With a grunt the wiry man hefted the big body into his arms, carrying him to his couch.

 

“JARVIS get Bruce down here ASAP!” he called, settling the unconscious man on he couch.

 

“Doctor Banner is on his way Sir,” the AI replied.

 

Tony started down at the pale face feeling utterly useless; he could diagnose a machine in seconds but a person. He placed a callused hand against the unconscious man’s forehead he didn’t feel hot, and that summed up his medical knowledge. Sighing he sat beside the couch waiting for Bruce, and watching to make sure that strong chest rose and fell steadily.

 

He didn’t have long to wait, Bruce hurrying in moment’s later medical kit in hand. Spotting them he was there in a heartbeat.

 

“What’d you do?” he asked kneeling beside Steve, Tony moved out of his way.

 

“Nothing, he keeled over mid lecture…” he explained holding his hands out innocently.

 

The placid man looked at him doubtfully, fishing out the stethoscope he gently pressed it against the wide chest listening to the steady heartbeat. Tony watched worrying, barely registering as the others arried.

 

“What’d you do?” Clint demanded, looking from Steve to Tony and back. Tony threw his hands up muttering under his breath.

 

“Has Antony finally broken our friend Steven?”  Thor queried, the last to join them.

 

Tony grunted, “Why does everyone assume it was me?” the all focused on him with vary degrees of disbelief.

 

“He seems fine, just out,” Bruce said sitting back scratching his head in confusion.

 

Suddenly there was faint moan from the unconscious man, everyone gathering around Steve anxiously. Tony hung back from the others torn between anger for footing the blame, and worried that perhaps he did have something to do with this.

 

Blue eyes blinked slowly as Steve shifted on the couch. Bruce gently laid a hand on his shoulder, “Steve you ok?”

 

Grunting he sat upright, “Yeah I think so...” he sat up, feeling rather confused. “Why is everyone…” he trailed off looking from one concerned face to another. Before blue eyes finally fastened on the most gorgeous brown eyes he’d ever seen.

 

Time seemed to freeze then, the world falling away, and Steve felt as if it was just the two of them. Something painfully hot coursed through Steve every fiber of his being burning…he had to have him.

 

Tony stood unmoving, as Steve started at him intently; confused Tony glanced behind him to see if someone else was perhaps there.

 

“Tony,” the man on the couch breathed, no one budged. Worried the genius was about to speak when Captain America was up off the couch and before him, “Tony,” he sighed dreamily, crushing their lips together.