Actions

Work Header

A Miraculous History

Summary:

When Tikki finds a cat demon in her master's temple, she doesn't know this will be the begin of an unlikely friendship. From now on the two of them are a team and assist humans in warding off evil, most times accompanied by their friends. All their adventures are collected in a thick, leather bound book, written in a language unknown to mankind. Until now...

Chapter 1: There's a demon

Summary:

In which a young Tikki finds a thief in her master's temple.

Notes:

Okay, so this is my idea how the kwamis were bound to their miraculous. Since kwami apparently stands for 'quantic kamis' and kami describes Shinto gods, the story begins in the Japanese region. As a result, there might be names you don't know, which is why I'll put short explanations at the end of each chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

I held my breath as long as he was close enough to my hiding place to hear my breathing. It would be a miracle should it oversee my brilliant red hair, I thought. Or the glittering of the crown holding up most of my curls… Why do you always have to wear it openly, Tikki?

An intruder had let himself into the temple of my Lord Kangiten and his lovely wife, gods of bliss. By pure luck our paths had crossed and I had followed the creature to the private chambers of my master. I knew the god of bliss to be absent due to a human settlement, which had called for his help, while his wife spent some time with her sister. That left me as the one in charge as the strongest and oldest novice of my master. What is this thing anyway? Its fur looks a lot like that of an Iriomote cat, all brown and gray with spots and stripes… But no Iriomote would be dumb enough to sneak into the temple of a god. Animals are smart that way.

While I still pondered what I was facing, the creature had slithered up to the treasure box of my Lord and Lady. Without hesitating I slipped in, very aware of the twitching cat ears poking out of a mass of blackish hair. Fortunately the carpet muted my steps as I slit into a shadow between a cupboard and the doorway I came through. I wonder how long until this thing is noticed… It appears to have some kind of human form, despite claws and tail and ears. Must be a powerful Shikigami then, maybe a god of calamity envious of my Lord’s respect with the humans? But why would they bother with treasures rather than let’s say attack his wife or me while we are seemingly unprotected?

The latch snapped open with an audible click. The cat ears swirled around swiftly, making sure nobody approached to check on the sound, as nimble claws pried the box open. I took this as my cue to interfere with his plans. “And what exactly do you believe you’re doing there?”, I demanded to know. The creature whirled around just as I stepped forth from the shadows, my red kimono catching the light with each step. My small frame was wrapped in layers of silk with a glittering tiara adorning my red hair, pulled up into a traditional bun with two stands framing my pale face. It was a male figure I now ultimately knew. His green eyes –

My eyes widened in shock: “Akuma” The creature’s lips curled into a cruel smile, showing off his fangs. No, no, no, no! Normal Iriomote cats have amber eyes, not green eyes. This is a demon!

“To be honest, I don’t care, how you call me, dear.”, he purred. “You won’t live to tell the tale.” Taking one step toward me, he paused since I didn’t turn to flee or made any other movement. I need to make this as quickly as possible. Neither of my masters will be pleased to find out there is a wild demon in their private rooms. But I cannot kill him without direct provocation… Think Tikki!

“Do you know, where you are? This is the temple of Lord Kangiten, god of bliss and protector against evil and demons. So excuse me, if I don’t tremble in fear, akuma.”, I replied easily. “Oh and by the way, I am not only a novice to the god of bliss, I am daughter of the god of creation himself.”

“Lady Luck must hate me”, the cat demon muttered, rubbing at his temples. “Lady Luck is a cruel woman. She tends to loose interest in her suspects rather quickly, wouldn’t you agree?”, I stepped further into the light. Instinctively the demon’s eyes roamed around to find the next possible exit. “I don’t quite see, why she would take an interest in you in the first place.”, I added with a dramatic sigh. “Her ways have always been hard to find.” An angry growl reverberated from the walls around us. Merely a way to try and make me fear him, although had the akuma wanted to attack me, he would have already done so. “The other gods always tell her to not take to a subject for too long or see it through until the end, but she is simply such a fleeting person. Never staying in one place. None of them can bind her.”, I went on as if nothing happened. His ears flattened further against his skull as another growl penetrated the air. “She also tends to act on whims, you know? She is unreliable like that.”

“Now, now”, a female voice spoke up. “If only my dear sister could hear you speak of her in that tone.” From a newly formed corridor strode my Lady, her white elephant head held high. “I apologize for being disrespectful, it was not my intention.”, I bowed before my Lady. “However we have a visitor.” My Lady merely raised a fine brow at the crouched form of the cat demon. His eyes narrowed in distrust, merely two green slits in his dark face, before a shiver went down his spine and his features turned more humanoid. “What did you do?”, he demanded from my Lady. “Why am I looking like this!”

“I pulled the side forth that is more like the humans. It is the side I prefer.”, she shook her head and it turned to that of a woman with blinding white hair framing her youthful face with dark brown eyes. “Now, dear, why don’t you tell me your name?” The demon threw his head back in laughter, showing off sharp canines his human appearance couldn’t hide. Instinctively I pulled my powers closer to me in case the demon chose to attack. But he only cackled at my Lady. “That was a good one!”, he barked between laughter. “Names hold power, why should I give it to you?” To my utter surprise my Lady gave a tight smile in response: “It was worth a try, was it not. Now then, but we need to call you by some name.”

“Why would you?”, the demon tilted his head, ears flopping curiously. Why do I feel the sudden urge to touch them? Well, they are quite cute… No! Tikki, you need to concentrate!

“We need your name because there is no way you’ll leave this temple without being put into the service of one of the gods. Or would you prefer, I allow her”, she pointed at me, “to kill you?” A ko-naginata found its way into my right hand while my left was filled with a metal tessen, a war fan embroidered with shuriken. I stood straight, fanning myself lazily with the tessen just to keep the appearance of a nonchalant fighter, albeit being slightly inexperienced in fighting against demons of his size. “That little girl will not be able to overpower me.”, he declared with an arrogant smirk. Let’s see about that., I lightly narrowed my brows. Prejudices against women are deadly when living with the gods.

I flicked my fan a bit more violently in his direction, causing one of the throwing stars to loosen up and fly at the cat demon. He ducked his head to avoid being hit by the flying object, to then glared at me. “I believe Lord Fudo Myoo mentioned something about one of his novices dying during the morning practice. Again.”, I mentioned without taking my eyes off the cat. “The fierce and wrathful King of Wisdom? Hell no!”, the demon growled. “Nice idea”, my smile returned. “Lady Izanami always has a place for lost causes.” A snarl and crouch into a fighting stance was my answer. I don’t mean to be cruel, but this demon tried to steal from my master, laughed about my Lady and personally insulted me. No need to grudge, right?

“Calm down Tia”, my Lady’s voice cut through the air. “And you demon stand down or I’ll have to call my husband upon you.” With another growl the demon forced his stance to relax while I resumed my innocent fanning. “Li Shou, the cat goddess, should have time to take care of yet another kitten.”, my Lady announced. “Would you be okay with us calling you Akuma, since you didn’t provide us with another name?” The demon shrugged carelessly: “Whatever suits you best Lady.”

“Well then, I’ll inform Lady Li Shou of your arrival. Tia”, her sharp eyes turned on me, “Akuma will be part of your cadre. See to it, that he adjusts.” My weapons evaporated into thin air when I bowed to my Lady as she disappeared through the same corridor she had arrived through. “Now then, Akuma”, I tasted the name on my lips. “Follow me and no more touching of godly objects. Is that understood?” He flashed me a smile full of sharp teeth: “Of course not darling. How would I come to touch anything belonging to your mistress and master?” My eyes narrowed at him and my favourite tessen found its way back into my hand. He doesn’t have my true name to work wicked magic over me, but neither have I his to control him. I need to keep him at bay until my friends are there to help me contain him. Oh I can already hear Trixx bugging me about it…

Notes:

Kangiten - God of Bliss, Joy and Pleasure. He originally comes from India, but is also worshipped in Japan, especially by couples hoping for children. He is depicted either as a single elephant-headed humanoid being or as an embracing couple of elephant-headed humans (thus the worshipping as a deity of pleasure and my interpretation of him as husband and wife).

Shikigami - are a small spirits, which can be conjured. Their power is bound to their master. Although they can develop their own free will over time, at first they follow the given orders like puppets.

Akuma - literally means demon, which is the context it is used in here. Not as in the evilised victims of Hawk Moth.

Naginata - is a traditional Japanese weapon. It is formed like a pole with a curved longer blade at the end of it. The prefix ko- indicates the version used by female warriors. It is smaller to compensate the lesser height and upper-body strength of women.

Tessen - is a war fan.

Shuriken - can be translated as throwing stars. This weapon can be used either for throwing or sometimes stabbing and slashing. They are mainly supplementary weapons and can take on many different shapes.

Fudo Myoo - one of the Wisdom Kings. His other names suggest him to be wrathful and violent, similar to a god of war. He is often depicted as angry faced and fanged with a sword in his hand that may or may not be enflamed.

Izanami - goddess of Creation and Death. She is the wife of Izanagi and created the world with him. She died, which resulted in her living in the underworld/world of darkness. Izanagi wanted to take her back, however he lit a torch to see in the darkness. Frightened by her appearance, he flees and seals the underworld off (while Izanami tries to hunt him down), thus creating the separation of the living world and that of the dead.

Li Shou - is a cat goddess. The gods assigned her to watch over the world, but falling cherry blossoms or patches of sunlight distracted her. So the gods decide to give this assignment to the humans, while Li Shou henceforth watches over the circle of day and night, with her eyes lightening up the sky.