Actions

Work Header

A Miraculous History

Chapter 14: A Decision

Summary:

In which the Cadre fells a decision and their journey comes to an end.

Notes:

So, this is the last chapter of this fic... It's been a great time, but here is where our journey ends. I had a lot of fun writing this and I hope you had fun reading ^^

I don't own Miraculous.

Chapter Text

That certainly was an exit. I remained rooted to the spot; eyes trained on the door the mage had just disappeared through. Leaving us to ‘discuss amongst ourselves’, whether we approve of being bound to an artifact to help humanity.

My ears twitched in Tia’s direction. To catch any decision my partner might indicate. But there was nothing to hear but all our quiet breathing. I glanced at my partner from the corner of my eyes. Bright blue stared right back at me. Sighing, I turned fully to face Tia, head tilted questioningly. What do you think? Is it according to your codex?

She narrowed her eyes back at me. Don’t be silly. She crossed her arms, shifting her weight so she almost leaned against my shoulder. “So, what do you think?”

“What do we think,” Pollen drew out the pause, “about giving up our autonomy for the well-being of humanity without consulting our gods first?” Her tone was cutting. Something seemed to buzz around or under her skin. A second pair of arms appeared to push into her hips. Tia shifted so she was not leaning against me.

“I don’t think, that’s exactly the way this will go,” Duusu spoke up. “Besides, this is a decision about our autonomy as you pointed out. Our masters do not have to weigh in on that.”

“They might have helpful insight into this we might not have.” Trixx weighed their head from side to side. “We are after all their novices and not gods of our own for a reason.” Their tail snuck out, swishing uncertainly behind them.

Pollen made a sound of disbelief. Her eyes were wide and she stared at the others, as if they had grown a second head. Her fingers rapidly ticked through different motions from tapping against her arms to forming claws and balling into fists. “You cannot be serious.”

I caught Tia’s eye. This was getting out of hand very quickly. She nodded at my silently raised eyebrow. Go ahead. So, I stretched out my back until it popped. “I guess, that clears that up.” With a pretended yawn I stood from the table. “If we can’t agree on a course of action we might as well decline it entirely and return.” I threw a long look at the boxes full of jewellery. “I never was the type for this anyway.”

“Weren’t you trying to steal from my master the first time we met?” Tia raised her eyebrows at me.

“As if I would have kept whatever I stole. Don’t be silly.”

“You can’t be serious!” Pollen hissed. “We are faced with this decision and you two go reminiscing.”

I tilted my head. “Why are you so upset? I just said we might as well decline, if we can’t find common ground, because obviously this isn’t just a one-person thing. It’s either all or none of us.” Pollen and I stared at each other. Her eyes were still blazing with furious fire, fists shaking from how hard she balled them into fists by now. I blinked back at her calmly.

“He is right,” Wayzz said. He looked up from the boxes of jewellery on the table. “Either we do this as a team or not at all.” He leaned back, looking at each of the Cadre in turn. “And we will have to fell that decision without the help of our gods. We do not have time for anything else.”

The others looked around, as if the others might have a better answer than what they’d come up with on their own. Eventually, Trixx just shrugged. “Fine then. Let’s sit down and discuss this.” They sat down at the table, tucking their legs under them. One down.

Tia returned to her seat at the table. She stapled her hands in front of her, pointedly staring at the boxes full of finery. I looked around. Pollen’s shoulders were tense, her eyes glowing, possibly separating into several new pairs the longer we spoke. Duusu seemed very intent on melting into the ground to avoid this discussion altogether. Even Nooroo, who had been awfully quiet since we arrived, simply sat back down at the table. Albeit with his eyes firmly fixed on his hands and no one else.

I followed their examples, settling at the table on Tia’s left side so she was between Wayzz and me. The united front we had somehow worked out. Her seconds in command. Loyal to her before our masters, but willing to offer our honest advice no matter what.

As soon as we settled, Tia’s shoulders relaxed minutely. Her body shifted until our shoulders bumped against each other. I pressed right back. I’m here. I’ll see what I can do. Trust me as I trust you.

Across the table, Pollen stared at us a moment longer. With a put-upon sigh, she settled at the table, arms crossed over her chest. “Fine. Let’s settle this then. What is your idea exactly for this kind of situation we have never faced before and cannot ask anyone about?”

“We may have not faced this exact situation before,” Wayzz began, “But we did have to make decisions without our masters’ input plenty of times. Every mission to be exact.” He met Pollen’s glare with barely a blink. “This is no different. We are on a mission and we need to find a solution as a team. And we will not be able to do so unless we sit down and discuss our options and arguments with each other.”

Something like a snarl flitted across Pollen’s face as she settled across from us at the table. Her back was ramrod straight and she folded her hands neatly in her lap. Duusu and Nooro both carefully leaned away from her without making it too obvious.

“Now that we’re all assembled at the table,” Trixx brushed a hand through their bangs, “What do you think of this little offering? We can give up our autonomy and entire being to the will and help of humans or we could decline and return home. Keep humanity the way we’ve been doing until now.”

“Humans changed a lot in the past,” Nooroo quietly added, “They might forget of our existence and then we wouldn’t know when and where we should help them. This offer might be our chance to keep helping humans whenever their need is greatest.”

Tia’s eyes bounced around the room and between her Cadre. Our options are limited. Helping humans has been our priority and their priority before I came along. I looked around the table. They’ve known each other for far longer. Maybe I should keep out of this decision for once and just lean back.

I kept my eyes carefully on their faces, as the argument went around the table. Pollen was against offering our autonomy as novices in exchange for helping humans. She argued her point with pointed questions poking holes at the others’ arguments. Duusu and Trixx were mostly arguing over whether or not to include the gods in our decision or if we should just do it and let them find out afterwards. Nooroo offered insight into possible advantages of accepting the offer.

“What about you,” Tia murmured as Pollen and Trixx were once again shouting at each other. “Do you have an opinion or are you just going to agree with the majority?”

I snorted. “When have I ever not had an opinion?”

“That’s why it seems suspicious for you not to voice it.”

Damn, she clocked me right out the gate. Well, I guess that’s to be expected given how much time we spent together. I looked at Tia from the corner of my eye. “I was waiting to gauge the best strategy to establish my opinion.”

“Sure you were.” She sounded as convinced as I felt. “Now, what have you gathered from mutely listening to us arguing about this?”

“That you have very different opinions for very different reasons.” I offered her an arrogant smirk.

Tia rolled her eyes. “Very insightful, Akuma. Anything else?”

“Given the circumstances, we cannot wait to ask our masters about it. The time lost with travel and getting their approval or rejection of the idea which does not concern their well-being would take too long. It is our responsibility to protect humans.”

Across the table, arms crossed, Pollen scoffed. “Are you going to keep feeding us platitudes, because then you can save the air.”

I offered bared fangs in response. But I kept quiet after that. If they didn’t want to hear me out then so be it. I didn’t have the patience to get involved in their inane fights. What, if I would ask the Lady about it? She did give me her blessing after all. Maybe she’d also have a look into the future for where our path might lead us…

“I think, we should accept the offer and bind our essence to the jewellery.”

Everyone turned to stare at Wayzz. He’d sat back during the previous discussion just like I had. Observing and listening to the arguments brought forth and drawing his own conclusions. The buzz around Pollen settled ever so slightly and Nooroo and Trixx leaned forward to get a better look at the boxes between us.

Tia waved a hand to encourage him to speak. She subtly rubbed at her temple with the other as if fighting off an oncoming headache. I brushed my hand against her leg under the table. You okay? Tia shook he head minutely and focused back on the debate around us.

Wayzz drew one of the boxes towards him. He tipped the box to present the bracelet within it in the light streaming through the windows. “The mage did not make this offer without ulterior motives of that we are all aware. These trinkets were made by hand. There are several mantras, sutras and general protection spells woven into each and every one of them. They are personalised to different powers.” He let the information sink in, watching for our reactions. Trixx stretched, looking over the boxes. Their hand hovered over a necklace.

“Are they going to trap us inside?” Nooroo drew his hands close to his chest. His eyes were wide as if poisonous snakes might spontaneously rise from the boxes. Trixx withdrew their hand.

“I doubt that would activate without a spell,” I offered. “Still, better safe than sorry, so maybe don’t touch the magic artifacts just yet.”

Wayzz set his box down in front of him. “Akuma is right. Only the mage will be able to complete the spell and bind us to them. Once we are, I suspect, we will be unable to return home.”

“In that case we should probably make some demands of our own in compensation,” Duusu said. “I suggest electing a guardian of this miracle box. To prevent it from falling into the wrong hands.”

“Something to prevent us from telling each other, whom we serve to keep the human champions safe as well,” Nooroo added. “Just in case something does go wrong.”

“We should keep Tia and Akuma together as a pair,” Duusu suddenly added. They had a far-away look in their eyes that promised a vision. “Their powers balance each other out. They need to stay together. No matter what, if they get separated for too long, humanity will face a great calamity. However, combined under one their power will be endless.”

Tia and I exchanged a look. Great. A prophecy. As if the gods cooing over our matching set of powers wasn’t enough. Well, I might have protested more at the beginning of our partnership. I shrugged at Tia. There’s nothing we can do about it, if Duusu predicts it.

Wayzz slowly nodded his head. “Very well, then we have a few demands of our own to ensure our safety.” He set the bracelet back into the miracle box. With a light shove, the compartments clicked shut, the lid gliding back into place.


By the time the mage returned, we had all settled around the table. Wayzz had somehow managed to procure tea for all of us while Trixx had conjured up a few pillows. Duusu and Nooro lounged close to the window, watching the sun draw patterns in the trees in front of the hut.

“Ah, I apologize for taking so long,” the mage said as soon as he entered. A pouch filled to the brim with herbs hung from his shoulder.

Tia pulled her shoulders back as she rose from her slump over the table. Her smile graceful. “Don’t worry. We had a long discussion about your offer as well.” She looked at the others still curled up around the hut. “And we greatly enjoyed your hospitality.”

The mage followed her gaze. A spark lit in his eyes upon the Cadre scattered about his home, completely at ease. “I am relieved to hear that.” Without any hurry, the man crosses the hut towards the table. He sets his pouch down at the far end, leaves tumbling out of the small opening.

Wayzz shoves a cup of steaming tea in his direction, which he accepted with a grateful nod. “We have come to a decision,” Wayzz looked to Tia for confirmation to go on, “But we have some stipulations of our own.”

“I have expected nothing less from the most. Powerful novices the gods can send.”

“For the spell to work, we have to give up our true names. Those hold the key to our power and thus should not fall into the wrong hands. Therefore, we demand that you and yours take responsibility of the artifacts.” Tia looked as regal as I’d never seen her before. “You will guard our power with your life.”

The mage nodded slowly. “A logical request. However, human lives tend to be rather short compared to your infinite ones. Is there a way to ensure the guardian does not have to change as often as would be usual?”

It would be rather strenuous for us to have to get used to a new guardian every eighty something years. And that’s not even counting the novices in training to take over the mantle of guardian on the side. Too many variables that might endanger our safety.

Wayzz shifted to bow his head at the human. “I will stand by your side as the guardian of the artifacts. My own powers should aid in prolonging your own life long past natural cycles for a human. Thereby we will not have to look for a new guardian too often and ensure the secret be kept among those worthy.”

A pause followed his words. The air grew thick with unsaid words from all of us. This wasn’t what we discussed. I clenched my teeth. A guardian, yes. But giving one of us over to him? Next to me, Tia listed slightly to the side until our shoulders touched. She seemed as taken aback by the suggestion as me. But she caught herself far quicker. Offering a tight smile, she nodded along to Wayzz’s proposition. Keep up appearances at least a little while longer in front of the mortal.

“Thank you for your generous offer. I’d be honoured to work so closely with you. Is there anything else we need discuss before continuing?”

“A spell to prevent us from exchanging information about the humans we are aiding,” Nooroo’s airy voice drifted to us. “A measure to protect us should anything does go amiss.”

“I can add that to the incantation,” the mage nodded along, “Very good thinking.” He pulled a scroll and coal from somewhere and began scribbling notes. It looked like an intricate pattern curling around the characters for miracle. “I should add this to the box as well just to be sure.”

“One last request,” I found myself saying. “We,” I nodded towards Tia, “need to stay together. Our powers would be unbalanced if used without the other.”

Intrigued, the mage tilted his head. The look he gave us made me want to snarl and curl in front of Tia protectively. “A mated pair.” His tone was too delighted even for my taste.

“Not mated,” Tia hastily interjected. “Just using the power of Ying and Yang. Creation and Destruction. It would be highly beneficial to keep us together as a pair to ensure better protection.”

A nod. A knowing look. I could have scratched his eyes out but a stern look from Wayzz stalled my claws. Right. For the good of humanity.

“Right.” The mage clapped his hands together. “If this is everything, I can offer to ensure your own comfort at the moment, then I’d like to begin.” The others meandered back over to the table, Nooroo trailing behind and looking around the hut with wide eyes.

With a click, the miracle box opened, boxes with jewellery appearing. The mage opened each smaller box, presenting the treasures to us. “Chose your artifact.”

Tia’s hands remained folded in her lap as the others considered and picked their objects. Pollen, predictably, picked up a golden comb. Her eyes lit up with satisfaction at the craftmanship gone into it. With a brush of her fingers, a small bee appeared in the middle, wings spread wide as if in flight.

Wayzz picked the bracelet he had presented to us before. The flat bead in its middle turned into the shell of a turtle, not dissimilar to the markings on his robes. He considered the bracelet for a moment longer, then nodded his satisfaction.

Trixx let their eyes wander over the assembled riches. I could almost feel the same urge that was fighting inside me as well. Those precious things, all laid out before us for the taking. Just one for our horde or to get a bit of money for from someone else. Unfortunately, that was not an option. Eventually, Trixx picked up a golden necklace. A fox’s tail curled in on itself at the end of it.

A pair of brooches turned into a butterfly and peacock feathers for Nooroo and Duusu. Both looked on in awe and then exchanged a small grin with each other.

Which left me and Tia to choose our artifacts. A pair of black earrings or a silver ring. We looked at each other. “Ladies first,” I gestured at the table.

Tia huffed a laugh. “My, discovering your inner gentleman at the last second, hm kitty?”

“You know it, sugar cube.”

Trixx made some exaggerated gagging noises, while Nooroo and Duusu giggled behind their hands. Pollen merely rolled her eyes and shook her head at our antics. “Just chose. It’s not that hard.”

Tia grabbed the earrings. They turned a vibrant red with black dots like a ladybug. My partner looked delighted with this development, so who was I to complain? I would have looked great with earrings.

Nevertheless, I grabbed the silver ring. It immediately turned black. A green pawprint appeared in its middle. Glowing and dangerous just like my eyes must seem to outsiders.

“Aww, look, kitty is pleased with his gift,” Trixx teased. They winked at my scowling face while Tia laughed next to me. I shoved her lightly, which only made her laugh harder.

“Very well,” the mage bowed to all of us. “You have chosen wisely. Please, put your artifacts on and close your eyes. Concentrate on the flow of your energy.”

We followed the instructions. For the next few moments, I did nothing but follow the energy coursing through my veins. Both destruction and creations twined around one another in an eternal dance. I felt Tia’s power next to me answering the call of my own. The mage murmured words I had never heard before. Something wrapped around my shoulders. The ring on my finger warmed. The last thing I heard was Tia’s soft whisper: “See you soon.”


Something called me. It tugged at my senses until I couldn’t resist the pull any longer. I blinked into the light. This isn’t the hut of the mage. I turned to look around. Where am I? There were high trees and mountains in the distance. Mountains that reminded me of home, albeit different. Wider and taller somehow.

“Honourable Kwami,” a voice said.

I spun around. A human male stood in front of me, head slightly lowered but his wide eyes trained on me. My ears twitched in irritation. “Either respect me or gawk. You can´t do both at the same time.”

Startled, the human rightened his posture. “Forgive me. It is just such an honour to finally meet one of the Cadre. Mage has told us so much about your work in the past. He was devastated when it became apparent that the transformation had taken a lot of energy from you and you needed to rest.” He bowed to me once. “We are in need of your help.”

Transformation? I combed through my memory. The last thing I recall is sitting next to Tikki at this table and the ring around my finger growing warmer while the mortal recited his spell to- My eyes shot up. “It worked.”

A puzzled smile crossed the man’s face. “Yes. It worked. Your Cadre was bound to the jewellery known as the Miraculous. You have been asleep for a very long time, but we need your help.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “What’s your name?”

“Hēi māo.”

My cackle echoed among the trees. “Black cat, huh? Couldn’t have chosen a more fitting name, young one. Well, if I’m here, I assume, the others aren’t far off?”

“Just a little walk from here.”

A broad grin, probably showing too much teeth, settled on my face. “Well then, lead the way.” I’ll come find you, sugar cube.